Speaker 1: By Billy Cunningham to Great America and there's a new Aircraft Harrier in town. His name is Terry Francona. He played for the Reds in nineteen eighty seven. He's been a Manager of the Year three times. He also has two World Series rings, three PENNANTCE, eleven playoff appearances. He's managed about three thousand, six hundred games, and for some reason he wants again to come out more or less of retirement and coach Baseball's I think best town for baseball and its oldest team that is the Cincinnati Resident Terry Francona. Welcome to the Bill Cunningham Show, and Terry, can you tell the American people? First of all, why are you doing this?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me. That's kind of a loaded question. You know. I needed to take a step away from baseball because I was just so beat up and I really thought I was retiring. I didn't have the intent to come back, and it was a really good year away from baseball. But as I got healthy and then Nick and Brad came out to Tucson to talk to me, it just felt right, and I think I made a really good decision. But there's a way I think you do this job, and to do it right, you got to have a certain amount of energy, and I didn't have that before. And these guys have been good for me this spring. I've felt pretty reinvigorated and I'm having a good time.
Speaker 1: You know, when I look at your medical history, it's unbelievable. At least fifty surgeries, you have two new knees, two new hips, other difficulties, all of which now is short. You're like the bionic man. You're the six million dollar manager. It's unbelievable that you're doing this. And I harken back to other times in the Red's history. I know you've managed the Phillies and the Red Sox and the Indians, the Guardians and now the Reds. But in nineteen seventy there was a manager named Dave Bristol and Red's management management is how to get a new guy in town. And that guy Sparky Anderson, and went to the World Series that year. About twenty years later, we went through the Pete Rose situation. And we all love Pete Rose in this town. And you you played for him in nineteen eighty seven, and after that we got a new manager, Lou Panella went to the World Series and won it. So here's history repeating itself. New Manager World Series, New Manager World Series Champion, New Manager World Series Champion. What is the goal? If somebody would tap you on the shoulder, Terry Francona and say what is the goal for the twenty twenty five Reds, what would Terry say?
Speaker 3: I think it's always the same. It's show up every day ready to compete your ass off. That's how I always feel, because you don't know what's going to happen with guys going down. But if we show up and we play the game the way you're supposed to, I always feel like we'll end up what we're supposed to. And we obviously have high expectations we're supposed to, but I don't ever put the card ahead of the horse. I just try to, you know, we stay in a moment, play as good as we can today, and then show up tomorrow and see what we can play a little better.
Speaker 1: Are you an analytics kind of a guy? At one point I couldn't spell analytics. And right now, if the Reds are pitching and there's a batter up and there's two to one, if it counts two and one. He hits two ten against the curveball, three ten against the fastball, and you got the nine quadrants of a home play. Are you, as Terry francona analytics or do you do by the seat of your pants.
Speaker 3: I don't do it by the seat of my pants. I don't think that's fair to anybody. But the way I like to say it is I feel an obligation to know stuff because I don't want to guess. But you're dealing with people and you never can forget that. And I feel like you know. I've been in the game, I think forty six years. I feel like I know what I'm watching. And again, it helps to get information. I think you can get bogged down with information if you lay yourself as.
Speaker 1: Far as one thing, Michael Jordan. You managed Michael Jordan, the greatest of all time in basketball in nineteen ninety four with the Birmingham Barons, and then you were managed by Pete Rose. And when I think about basketball, I think about the passion the perseverance of Michael Jordan. Then I think about Pete Rose. I'd be loved character. Is there some connection in your mind between Michael Jordan and Pete Rose, how they're conducted themselves.
Speaker 3: I've told a lot of people that the very similar personalities where if you tell them no, they're going to find the They're going to find a way to make the answer be yes. You know, they're just so driven. I mean, most people that get to this level are driven. But then there's a few and you just named two of them that take it to of the anth degree, and that is Michael and Pete both.
Speaker 1: Well, how did you handle Michael Jordan? Because I saw some of the thirty by thirty stuff and you're in it. You if he stuck with baseball, would he have made to the major leagues? Of course, the owner of the White Sox wanted him to go and playing Comiskey Park. Can you imagine Michael Jordan in a White Sox uniform and comisky? What was he? A major league baseball talent? Michael Jordan?
Speaker 3: What I've told people is it wasn't fair to judge until he got about a thousand at bats. But he could do some things. Now, I mean he stole thirty bases, you know, he he could do some things. In a lot of prospects, you know you need to do. He just hadn't played in so long. But I also, like I said, I found out if you told him no, he'd find a way to make the answer be yes. So do I think he'd have found his way to major leagues? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 3: What do you have been an everyday player? I don't know he had more developing to do, but I knew he was so respectful to the game of baseball. He made it really easy to be patient with him, and that was what I appreciated.
Speaker 1: As far as your year with the Reds in nineteen eighty seven, your manager was Pete Rose. What did you learn about baseball from Pete Rose?
Speaker 3: Well, I'd played with Pete and eighty four in Montreal, and I tell a lot of people I've probably learned more playing cards with Pete about baseball than I did from a lot of other people. He just, you know, the game was in slow motion for him. And I know Pete brought me over here in eighty seven and I felt like I really let him down because I just I just didn't hit. I mean, I got some hits opening day and then it just went south, and I felt like I let him down and that killed me.
Speaker 1: Oh, you bat a two twenty seven for the Reds. You were twenty eight years old, pretty good team, and I think largely that same team three years later with Lou Panella won. What was the difference between the eighty seven eighty eighty nine Reds with Pete Rose that didn't win and then a new a breath of fresh air arrived. I saw this interview that Barry Larkin conducted about you, the great number eleven Hall of Famer. You're going to be a Hall of Famer. I pray to God Lou Penella becomes a Hall of Famer. But Barry Larkin said after the Pete Rose situation in August September of eighty nine was resolved and spring training started, he said, there was a breath of fresh air that we needed that we thought we were better than our record indicated. In fact, in eighty nine the Reds had a losing record. The next year they went to the World Series. And so how do you relate to the Reds team and Reds fans now saying this is a team that can win, it should win. It hasn't won. We can't go why it hasn't won in the past, but why will it win this year? And are you the breath of fresh air, the Reds and the baseball's oldest franchise, knees. I'm so excited about this, I can't stand it. Are you the breath of fresh air?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I've ever been called that. You know, I'm not here to try to piss anybody off. I think we all like to feel like we can make a difference, and we're certainly going to try. But I don't think I need to go make any proclamations. Like I said, I want us to show up and play our rear ends off every day, and if we do that, I always feel like we're gonna figure it out. That's how I've always felt, and I will continue to do that. And this is a good group. This is a fun group, and it's a group that's going to get better. We're not the finished product. That doesn't mean we can't win, but I think it means we'll get better.
Speaker 1: Let's say it's about seven pm an opening day and the Reds are winning two to one. You look down to the look out to the bullpen used to be down to the bullpen. You look out to the bullpen, and you got Rogers, you got Barlow, you don't have Alexis Das, Who does Terry Francona come in to nail down to win two to one victory and the ninth ending about seven o'clock on opening day? Who do you bring in?
Speaker 3: Well, I hope we're in that situation. Is a lot of us gonna depend on how we get there. You know, we're gonna have to mix the match a little bit. And I've already talked to the bullpen guys and I've talked a little bit more. But you know, we'll see again. It depends on how long our starter goes, how many guys who went through, But we'll figure it out. And I guarantee you somebody to be out there. And like I said, though, it just depends who we use leading up to that, how.
Speaker 1: Would you say, Ladella Cruz, you're catching him in a second full year. We're just so excited about him. He could become the face of baseball. And you now spent about twenty five of thirty games with Elladella Cruz. What kind of character is he and what does he bring to the table for the Reds in twenty twenty five, Well, it.
Speaker 3: Brings everything to the table. I think that's why everybody you know likes him so much. Everybody wants to get a piece ofthing. And he's a great kid to boot. He plays a game right, he plays with passion, and he's only going to get better because he wants to. And you know that we're getting him at it. We're getting a lot of our guys at a good time where they've got a year or two under their belt. You know, they start to understand they don't just belong, but maybe they can thrive and compete because there's a difference, and I hope we'll get them at that time.
Speaker 1: In fact, you've been in baseball. I mean, your dad was in baseball fifteen years. You grew up in major league locker rooms. You've been there. You talk about in baseball forty some years. You've probably been in baseball sixty some years. If you take your time in various locker rooms, and from that, give me the one or two big changes you've seen in baseball just inside the locker room in the past thirty or forty years. He used to be you had a player and you knew they had him. But now a little bet of romance has to go on. You have to make sure the players want to stay in Cincinnati's a fabulous place to play because you're gonna you're gonna learn an opening day how important this is. But how's baseball changed the last thirty or forty years in your mind?
Speaker 3: Well, there's been a lot of changes. I mean one of the things, like you said in the locker room is we used to sit after games and you know, we played cards and drink beer, and now you can't do that. You know, life times have changed, and I get it, but it takes some of the some of the fun away. The game, though, is still baseball, and I firmly believe, regardless of how much money you guys are making or free agency, if you can get your players to play baseball, you got a chance. And that's what we're gonna try to do.
Speaker 1: Terry Farrek Conan, Do you feel like you're born again? Because the article is written about you and it feel like after you went through your health difficulties now came out the other side. And the involvement Marty Brownman was key to this. Do you feel like you're born again?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I'd go that far. I am excited, you know, I'm gonna have to keep an eye on my because I'm not a young pup, and you know, I've had a lot going on. But I get up and swim every day because I want to be a good manager. I want to have, you know, energy for these guys, and I try to keep my button on all day and then when I go home, I just collapse.
Speaker 1: Well, Terry, you're the best. I think you walk in the shoes of Sparky Anderson and Louke Panela in the sense that you're a lifer in baseball and you've come here and we're just honored to have you in Cincinnati after the year off. When this thing when Marty the story about Marty Brennan just briefly tell me that Marty Brennan connection that you had to get this job.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean when I was here as a player, Marty and Nuxy, Joey, they were so good to be and some people in this game he just remained friends with, and me and Marty have have been friends ever since. And he reached out to me earlier this year, and next thing, you know, Nick and Brad are find out the Tucson and like I said, it just felt right. And I mean I know what kind of baseball town this can be. You know, I saw it firsthand and we got it. We got we got some baseball to play. But if we do, these people will be excited.
Speaker 1: Lastly, would you like to enter the Hall of Fame in a few years with Pete Rose? In memory of Pete?
Speaker 3: I'll never I can talk about Pete. I'll never talk about myself in that vein. I don't think that's healthy for any for a manager. With the manager, it's got to be about the players. It can never be about yourself. And when it becomes about you, I get really uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: May fourteenth is Pete Rose Day. Whill there'll be a tear in your eye for Pete.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I'll cry, I'll be touched. I mean, I love the guy, Like I said, I played with him and for him, and I loved him to death. And I will be one of the proudest people out there. I guarantee it.
Speaker 1: Terry frank ConA, may you live long and prosper when about a hundred games and take the reds of the World Series where they belong. Between nineteen seventy five and nineteen ninety, EDGE were champions in the World Series twenty percent of the time. Think of twenty percent of the time between nineteen seventy five and nineteen ninety the Reds with the World Series champion. Since then, the last thirty five years have been more difficult, and I think you're the Moses that may lead us into the promised Land. And Terry Francona, once again, thank you for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show. Thank you, Terry.
Speaker 3: All Right, Bill and joy Man, Thanks God.
Speaker 1: Bless America. Let's continue with more. That's Terry Francona unplugged on News radio seven hundred WLW. All Right, Billy cunning in the Great American. We're going to have the words of Mike McConnell in about seven or eight minutes about his retirement in glory from this sacred radio station. What he said this morning and his last day, those kinds of things. We'll talk about that a little bit later on. But getting back to the Reds this year, I will look back in my memory banks, maybe you could come up with something different. Have the Reds ever hired a manager Don on other teams had multiple World Series titles? I don't think so. Going back, I can't think of one and I look to the list of managers, this is unique and when you deal with Terry Francona. He went to Boston and in his first year there took the Boston Red Sox to the World Championship, the World Series win. Did it again a few years later four o seven. His first st it was with the Philadelphia Phillies. Spent about four years there, did okay, not good. Red Sox. Harem went to the Promised Land and after that went to the Indians slash Guardians, where he managed for about ten years. Because he played for the Indians. He played for the Expos, the Cubs, the Reds, the Indians slash Guardians, and the Brewers and now the Reds. It's his fourth managerial stint, likely his last. He's managed about three thousand, six hundred Major League Baseball games. He also has those two World Series titles, which is pretty good. He also has three Pennance Championships, pretty good. Also had eleven playoff appearances as a manager. That's pretty good. And then, of course the record of nineteen hundred and fifty wins and and seventy two losses about thirty six hundred games. He wins fifty four percent of his time. He made the comment he feels like he's born again. He had lots of health problems, none of which are critical, but they're painful, such as he's had at least fifty surgeries. Both these are new, both hips are new, had blood clots, had heart problems, and all came down maybe chewing too much tobacco and not working out. Now he's got rid of the tobacci and he's working out, and he's a young sixty five years old. So have had it. Man, The Reds could not have made a better hiring decision than Terry Francona, who has said he spent about forty six years in the Major leagues. First, his youngest days, he was in the locker rooms of major league teams. His father, Tito Francona, in fifteen years in the Major leagues, and a young Terry was running around the locker room as a kid. And in nineteen eighty seven I did the extra inning show, and I was in the locker room a lot with Pete and the other players, and I barely remember Terry Francone is standing in the corner with Luis Kenonis, singing, have you seen her? Tell me? Have you seen they had a quartet and they would sing. There were people drinking beer, smoking cigarettes. That was nineteen eighty seven in Riverfront Stadium. Unbelievable. And now if somebody would have told that kid in nineteen eighty seven, by the way, at that point he was twenty eight years old, win so much of a kid. But he was a hanger on. But he did hit a home run in an opening day for the Reds. And after that season, Pete and the Powers have Me decided to release him and away he went to the Indians and the Brewers and then got into into managing with the Birmingham Barons, where Michael Jordan, the greatest of all time in basketball, hit two O two in nineteen ninety four and the rest show, we say, is history. So let's can anyway. Three years later, he's the manager for the Phillies. Let's continue with them more. We're going to play some of Mike mcconnald's words this morning and more at Trump of the Reds in the home of Terry Francona News Radio seven hundred WULW, Cincinnati. Well, our official holiday begins tomorrow. Reds Baseball unlike any in the world. Good to hear from Tito Francona about what he expects from this year's team, and we have expectations. We have a coming up later Tommy Thrall to talk about what he observed in Arizona, what he observed last night and Dayton McLean looked pretty good again. And what's going to happen this year with your Cincinnati Reds. That's coming. But I think an equally important announcement took play the place this morning with Mike McConnell for many forty years, my running mate right here, and we kind of came here more or less together, and at this point Mike has decided to retire. With the thanks of a grateful nation. We did our best to keep him, trying to talk him out of it. He could have picked almost any day shift to do, but Mike said he's done. And it's because next week will be his fiftieth anniversary in radio, starting in April of nineteen seventy five in the Dayton area along with Eddie Fingers, another living legend. But this is what Mike McConnell said this morning, and Dave Keaton hit it.
Speaker 5: Hey, and that is that I am going to retire. Why because I'm old. I'll be here through next week and that will be it. I'm not taking any more time off. I'll be here every day through next Friday, and we'll pull the plug on it then. So thought about it for a long time, and I guess, like three years ago when I signed my present contract, pretty much made up my mind it was going to be the last one and told management over you a year ago. So I'll miss a lot of aspects out of it, but look forward to it. At the same time, I'll have no regrets because I've done this for a long time. I did the math realized I started doing this for a living in April of seventy five, so that's fifty years and that's enough. So I've enjoyed it, great job most of my life, and I will miss it, and we'll plenty of time to talk about it between now and then. But that's the announcement of the day. Next Friday is my last day on the radio. Michael kils Well, that was kind of it.
Speaker 1: And of course we knew here internally the last few weeks that it was going to happen, and most of us kind of thought, well, well, maybe something will change. There's nothing more constant in life than constant changes. There's nothing more constant than change in life. It's ongoing that sometimes the days roll by so slowly, but the years in the decades fly by. So it is with Mike, and we discussed it on the phone a few months ago and I said, would you like to do non am to noon? We'd like to twelve to three, four, three to six. What I was a note, I'm done, don't want to do it anymore, because he said, I'm old. I want to do other things. And a lot of it has to do with the fact that fifty years beginning in radio and a Dayton station is a long time in radio. I'm not sure many others could equal that, yours included. And to be here at the station where Jim Scott is honored yesterday as having a placard named after him a street corner there in OTR and Jim had been to more than fifty opening days and he walked everyone until his last one a year ago when he couldn't because of als. Then he passed away a few weeks later. He wanted to live long enough to be in that Findley Market parade and Lucan and other people down at OTR were just honoring Jim Scott because he gave so much to the community in which he loved deeply. And when we started together in nineteen eighty three, when I first came here in August of eighty three, the morning man was Gary Burbank, and then it was Mike. Mike mcconnaell was in production, and then Randy Michaels and Alan Gartner did middays from ten to two, and then two to six was Gary Burbank. And in the when I first thought it was Bill Gable and then it became Gary Burbank. And then of course we had Bob Trumpy for many years than Chris Collins, Ruth and Andy Furman, many others, and a night was yours truly, and here we are. I can't believe that forty two years have rolled by so quickly. And Mike McConnell announced this morning he's the most talented personality in radio that I've ever dealt with. Because Yours truly could not do the morning show. Gary Burbank did the morning show for a while. He said I can't do it anymore. He had a good afternoon drive and a lot of it has to do with. At three o'clock in the morning comes rather early, so at three o'clock in the morning, you got to get up, got to be on. And nobody did it better than Jim's got him and Mike McConnell, and I believe we have located a well known personality to continue with the morning show beginning I guess a week from Monday, which would be what April to seventh, And Mike McConnell said, I simply want to spend more time doing other things. He also said he's old, but I don't think he's that old. But nonetheless, there comes a time in life for all good things end, and even the sun, the moon, and the stars at some point will collapse into a black hole and all this will be gone. And all we can do is maximize the time we hear. And no one did talk radio, no one did the morning show better than Mike McConnell. And from the time I started in nineteen eighty three, here whether it was Gary Burbank in the mornings, and then about a year later it became Jim Scott, and then that went on for about thirty years, thirty one years, and then about seven eight years ago Mike McConnell picked up the banner from GN in Chicago, went up there for a stint about five years, came back, did the morning show, and he's done that. And now I believe we have a personality coming in that's quite well known to do that. I'll let him make that announcement, not me a week from Monday. I've said many times in many places that at least in my time here in the last fifty years, that the Mountain Rushmore of this radio station is Jim Scott and Gary Burbank and Mike McConnell and me. And now there's one Indian left standing. And I anticipate to be here the next few years, nonetheless, God willing, and if that happens, I still have the same passion I have. I'm gonna be with you for a few more years and see what happens, go year by year in a sense. But I enjoy what I do, and at some point I can't think of another circumstance other than maybe Gary Burbank, who kind of left with his boots on saying you know what, I just don't want to do it anymore. And the same way with Jim Scott. He retired about I don't know, it's been seven or eight years since he retired, and he simply said, I want to do other things. Getting up early in the morning was a factor. Jim Scott, who lived in Indiana, would get up at two thirty am, two forty five am to make the drive here. And it can be a grind when not much as going on, but I guess I can say I'm not going anywhere else. Mike and I got real close to going to GN together in twenty fifteen, and it just didn't feel right for me, and he went. I almost went and I didn't, And that was the best decision I made in my career is not to go in GN. I would not beat Bill Cunningham here. I am, and if I thought in my life can I and I could do the show remotely, but that would have been fair to Chicago. And I'm sure Chicago Wins would view Cincinnati as the second cousin once removed, and they have two personalities coming in. I might add for significant money. Randy Michaels ran the station at the time, the legendary Randy Michaels and I got real close and I just couldn't pull the trigger. I just didn't want to leave Deer Park. I didn't want to leave the Reds, didn't want to leave Covington, and I didn't want to leave. At that point, my restaurants had been sold largely. But I just loved being here. And I was born here, raised here, and I'm going to to die here. And Mike McConnell has a little bit different history. But to go back to his talent, it's unbridled. I agree with his politics about sixty percent of the time. But you never questioned this microphone when it was put in front of Mike McConnell. Sometimes it's a little bit risky to put the microphone in front of someone because you never know what's going to come out, and God knows over the years yours truly, he has gotten in a bunch of trouble a bunch of times for saying things I shouldn't have said. And the value of a Jim Scott or a Mike McConnell was simple. Hardly anyone would listen to those two guys and come away less informed than when they started to listen. Neither one of those two guys conducted radio in a way that they had any enemies or people hated them. Who can fairly say that Jim Scott was ever hated by anyone, or Mike McConnell not hated by anybody. News, whether traffic, in sports and opinion. He could quickly flow in between handing off the ball, news whether traffic, etc. Sports into a talker show format, the last hour of a show. For the last few years, eight am to nine am was out of morning drive and into a talk radio format, which he did expertly. For many many years he was on nine am to noon and I was on twelve to three. That lasted for about twenty some years. And I think the lineup that we had of Jim Scott and Mike McConnell and Bill Cunningham and Gary Burbank and Bob Trumpy, Slash Chris Collinsworth and then in the evening Scott Sloan then overnight was the truck and Bozo was the big red machine of radio in this market, in fact any market those when I speak to those around the country, that is the formula that a great radio station will do. And at this point of course Jim Scott has passed on to rewards in Heaven that Jim Scott's not in heaven. There isn't one. And Mike McConnell is going to have about another eight days and that's it. Yours truly is still here. Gary Burbank lives but given up radio completely, and of course Bob Trumpy and Chris Collinsworth out of radio. And I don't know whatever happened to Chris Collinsworth, but I wished him well. And Scott Sloane is with us now every morning, nine amternoon and the truck and Bozo has given a way to Red Eye and away we go. There's nothing more constant in life than change, and the change happening here is handled properly. And I believe that our new morning man, along with Scott Sloane and myself and the legendary Eddie Fingers and the rock along with Lance McAllister. Every time I listened to Lance, I learned something I didn't know. The guy works hard than The evening is Gary Jeff, and the overnight, of course is Red Eye and we continue. One thing I've learned that right now we have more listeners than we've ever had. It may not be relatable to the talent as much as it does to the radio industry right now. We used to have live competitions in this market from five point fifty and thirteen sixty and fifteen thirty all do in the same stuff. There were newsrooms at five point fifty different than thirteen sixty, different than seven hundred, different than fifteen thirty. And now there's less and less and less, and there's more and more and more, which is why we have more listeners than we've ever had. Because there's less competition in the market. If you wanted to listen to talk radio or entertainment on the AM dial, you had many choices. Years ago, you had Jerry Thomas, you had Alan Browning, you had Rich King, and then you're Don Herman on fifteen thirty. Thirteen sixty stood alone by itself, and now there's only one. In fact, we own them all. So that's why we have more listeners. I'm not sure we have more talent than we've had before, but we have more listeners because there's less competition. But it's sad and Mike will sign off permanently a week from tomorrow. Then the new morning Man will pick up, well known in this community on Monday morning, April the seventh, and away we go for another run. It's managed in such a way that each of the so called stars leave sequentially and not not together, which is going back to twenty fifteen. I know Mike McConnell would sign his deal with Randy and WGN in Chicago, and if I left a hole in this market at this station we turn nine am and three pm would have been significant. And I despite there's a lot more money involved, which I understand completely, but I'm a Cincinnatian. I was born here, raised here, and I'm going to die here. I got my plot at Gayta Heaven Cemetery, and Mike McConnell began in radio, and Dayton grew up in Philadelphia. Great connections to Chicago and back home. But he will be sorely missed from everyone everyone here at this station. So that's the way it is. And at some point I will sign off and someone else will pick up and hopefully do It's good a job, and I'm confident the next morning guy will stand in the in the long blue line of Jim Scott and Mike McConnell and our new morning guy and we can simply continue. We never stop, We simply continue. I will take some more time off, because time is something you spend you never get more of. It's a limited amount from the day you were born to the day you die. There's so many days you're going to live, so many hours you're going to live. And I want to spend a little more time off. And the station said to me and DJ Hodge and Tony Bender and Scott Renerd says, this take off whenever you can, just give us notice and we're good. Which is why the last two or three months, I've been off a lot, because I want to enjoy life and play a little golf and smell the roses. And when I come back from my trips to Florida, etc. And I come back here behind this microphone, I feel this is where I belong. I've been with you for a long time, and I love when I meet individuals on the street, sitting in a restaurant or whatever. They come up and say to me, I've been listening to you, not for years, for decades, and I appreciate it. And I hope I've had some impact having this community accept individual freedoms of economic liberty and self reliance and not left wing socialism which is creeping across the country. And across Western Europe to the detriment of average citizens. So that's what's happened. And that's not as some sort of prank. As you can tell from Mike's voice, he would not be involved in such things. We kind of knew it our Christmas spectacular that this was Mike McConnell's last Christmas morning show with Eddie Fingers and I and Rock and Scott Sloan. But Mike, Mike wanted to go do it his way, which was, you know, I want to announce it about a week or ten days out and that's it and so be it. And if and when I have an opportunity to say goodbye, I'd rather be several weeks instead of ten days. But everyone does it differently, and I wish nothing better than my broadcast partner. I call it like the Pete Rose that Johnny Bench, Butch Cassidy and the Sun Dance Kid he and together between nine am and three pm was pretty good. But Jim's Goott on one end and Gary Burbank on the other, that's not bad. And then as sports talk, and I have more respect for Lance and I've had before because that guy works hard at what he does didn't have the star power of Bob Trumpy or Chris Colin, but Lance McAllister is eminently listenable and he is a good sports talk host. Then, of course in the even Gary Jeff Walker, I'm a fan of his plus Red Eye Radio. We'll see what happens in the future. Nothing is forever but the sun, moon and the star is they anything constant in life has changed. We're gonna have significant change here. So let's continue with more after one o'clock today, put a call into Tommy Thrall, who's the course of the voice of your Cincinnati Reds. And later on next week we're going to celebrate the life and time so Mike McConnell, as we should do for someone a living legend in radio who spent fifty years total in radio and probably I don't know thirty five the thirty eight years right here at your home of the Reds and Terry fran Cone and by the way, lastly, i'll talk about it during sports. But did the Xavier make a mistake and hiring Rich Patino and saying no to Chris Mack. I don't know. I know Chris Mack wanted the job. I know he made calls. I know he was disappointed when he wasn't selected the all time winning coach at Xavier, all time winning coach who wanted to come back home, a sant ex boy who went to Xavier, and I hope they're right with Rich Pattino. I hope Minnesota did okay, but it's hard to play basketball at Minnesota. Did better at New Mexico, and they went outside the family to pick someone. So we'll see what happens with that. But the life and times of Mike McConnell, May he live long and prosper in retirement. A News Radio seven hundred WLW Bill cunning in the Great American Edition of Mike McConnell's Retirement. No, this is not a joke, It's not a game. He announced this morning, Mike McConnell is retiring with the thanks of a grateful nation. On I think Friday of next week will be his last show. But until then, Tommy thrall, welcome to the Bill Cunningham Show. And Tommy, first of all, give us an overview of the twenty twenty five Reds. I have more optimism than I've had the past several years. What is right with the Reds. You have observed them now for many years. Terry Francona was on about an hour ago, kind of filling in some of the blanks. But can you tell the American people why we should be optimistic?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think there's a lot of reasons, Bill. I mean, for one, this team's made some upgrades, and I know that the thought is, well, it didn't seem like they did a whole lot in.
Speaker 4: The offseason, but they actually kind of did.
Speaker 6: I think Austin Hayes is going to be a really nice addition for this team. You look at the addition of Gavin Lux, I think he'll be a really big addition. You've also got some internal guys that are coming back. Matt McLean's going to kind of serve the role of like a huge free agent signing, just having him back from injury. So I think that's a really nice addition. A rotation stabilizer and Brady Singer will certainly help provide some stability to the bulb or to the rotation as well. So I think for all of those reasons, with the additions, there's room for optimism. And that's not even to mention how big of an impact Terry Francona is going to make I think the impact that he and his staff will have on this.
Speaker 4: Team is extraordinary.
Speaker 6: You look at a lot of things that this team did last year. I think they made a lot of correctable mistakes, to be honest with you, and I think this staff is going to make sure that some of those things are corrected.
Speaker 4: And I think just having Tito.
Speaker 6: At the helm really kind of just lifts everybody a little bit. You know, you talk to guys that have played for him before, you talk to guys that are on this team now, and one of the reoccurring themes is nobody wants to let him down. Nobody wants to disappoint him. And I think that's a huge impact. So a lot of reason for optimism, and I think this is going to be a really, really fun year.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of a scene from Yellowstone, my favorite series, when John Dutton. Of course he was killed, but Rip said to him, none of us want to disappoint you. That's why we don't tell you bad news. And I think Tito Francona is it's the kind of guy that the players I don't want to disappoint him, and that wasn't the case in years past. I'm not going to mention the successes or failures to David Bell, who I taught how to hit when he was a young boy playing amateur baseball over Buddy's house. But nonetheless, there's a respect factor that is with Terry Francona. He's done it all, He's got World Series rings, been in the postseason eleven times, he's he's coached thirty six hundred baseball games, came out of retirement. What do you kind of put more meat on the bones about the respect factor? The players like Dela Cruz and McClain hit a home run last night kind of has for Terry that wasn't there, and other managers, Hey.
Speaker 6: A little spoiler alert would be nice there before you give out the ending the Yellowstone.
Speaker 4: So for sire that.
Speaker 6: I think when you look at it, when you when you look at Tito, the thing about him, there's a reason he's had all the.
Speaker 4: Success that he's had.
Speaker 6: Sometimes there's intangibles with guys, and look the things I've said, I mean, no disrespect dated at all.
Speaker 4: I mean there are not.
Speaker 6: Many guys in the history of the game that have the respect of a guy like Terry Francona.
Speaker 4: There's just something about him.
Speaker 6: He's got the hit factor that you can't teach to anybody. You just have it or you don't, and and not many people have what he has to the extent that he.
Speaker 4: Does, and it's just I think one of it, or one.
Speaker 6: Of the things, is the fact that he is incredibly honest and open with everybody. Other people can try to be, he kind of takes that to new heights. He's just he's incredibly genuine with everything he does. He is unabashedly himself, and I think there's and part of that is because he's so confident in who he is. Of course, success can certainly breed confidence as well, but there's just a lot of things about him that not many people have. There are a lot of traits that make him a really really good leader that not many people have, and a lot of the things that some people have to work at to be a good leader he just has naturally, and it's.
Speaker 4: Really incredible to see it firsthand.
Speaker 6: So I think those are those are the things that make him so successful at what he does.
Speaker 4: No matter where he's been.
Speaker 6: You look at right when he took over Cleveland, he turned them into a winner instantly. It was a disappointing Boston team that he took over and took to a World Series immediately and they won. Like I said, there's just a reason that he's had all the success that he's had. And we've only seen him during spring training and you can already see it. So it's it's incredible to see. It's really been impressive to witness it firsthand.
Speaker 1: This is history repeating itself. You might recall in the late nineteen sixties, the Reds manager was Dave Bristol. They brought in a guy named Sparky Anderson had great respect first year in Read's once in the World Series in seventy seventy two, won it all in seventy five seventy six. After the late nineteen eighties we had the Pete Rose manager. They finished second every year, never got to the top. And then after eighty nine, the debacle in August of eighty nine, here comes a brand new manager, Lou Panella. What happened right to the World Series and so I see analogies between nineteen seventy nineteen, nineteen twenty twenty five and with there's a breath of fresh air. In fact, Barry Larkin referenced that and the story that I read online that you know, after the debacle of what happened in August of nineteen eighty nine and the team was to unFocus, shall we say, here comes lou Panella who wasn't a Red although Fancono it did play one season we'll talk about that nineteen eighty seven under Pete Rose and he said it was just a new attitude. We had the same team basically, but it was the leadership that was different, especially when Rob Dibble and the manager was what was rolling around the carpet of the clubhouse and I was there for that. That was scary, who knows what, But that's the kind of guy that he was. But nonetheless than twenty twenty five, this is the breath of fresh air that Barry Larkin talked about that the Reds need badly and do they have the horses because right now a jockey is great. You gonna have a great jockey, but damn it, you need a thorough bread underneath you. Is there a thoroughbread underneath the jockey? Tito Francona, he's the jockey, who's the thoroughbred?
Speaker 6: Well, I think you've got a few of them, and I think that's part of what makes this team so exciting. I think Hunter Green took a huge step forward last year. He's looked great so far in the spring, so I think.
Speaker 4: He's kind of taken that next step.
Speaker 6: So I think he fits that description as far as the rotation is concerned. And then in the lineup, there are a lot of teams that would love to have an Ellie de la Cruz in their lineup. The Mets went out and backed up the brinkstruck for Juan Soto. Look, the Reds have their Won Soto, it's Ellie de la Cruz. He's a budding superstar and this very well could be the year that he just takes off.
Speaker 4: He had a great year last year. There's no getting around it.
Speaker 6: I know you can talk about the airs, you can talk about the strikeouts, but you look at the numbers overall and the entire body of work.
Speaker 4: He had an amazing year.
Speaker 6: And that was just his first full year in the So this is gonna be a second full year, his third year overall, and I think it's got a chance to be a phenomenal year. So when you talk about thoroughbreds and superstars on a team. I think the Reds really have a couple of them, and then you add in the other pieces that we talked about before. Eventually this team's gonna get Tyler Stevenson and Spencer steerback in the lineup.
Speaker 4: Those guys are going to be a big booth as well.
Speaker 6: But you've got some guys that have been brought in that kind of take the pressure off some of the other guys in the lineup, and I think it just gets so much deeper so quickly.
Speaker 4: And you have Matt McClain hitting ahead of.
Speaker 6: Elie, so he's gonna have more opportunities with men on base.
Speaker 4: DJ Friedel's healthy this year at the top of the order. It's just it. When I look at the.
Speaker 6: Lineup when it's at its best, it seems to be a very well balanced lineup. But at the same time, they're gonna have to stay healthy, and I think that's gonna be one of the keys for this team.
Speaker 4: I think they can weather.
Speaker 6: Some injuries a little bit more, especially from a starting rotation standpoint, than they have in the past, because they've got some exciting young arms that are going to start the year in the minor leagues. They're gonna get three arms back as the season goes, and then you got to figure out where you're gonna put them.
Speaker 4: Guys like Andrew Abbott's gonna be back in the rotation very soon.
Speaker 6: He's probably only gonna make a couple of starts before he's back and fully healthy.
Speaker 4: R Att Louder is going to be available again soon, yeah, and then in a month.
Speaker 6: Or two you're gonna have Wade Miley ready to rejoin the rotation. So where are you gonna put all these guys? That's a question for people above my pay grade.
Speaker 1: Well, David Bell didn't have that problem. But one connection Terry Francona has is with Michael Jordan, the greatest of all time in basketball, and Pete Rose, the greatest Reds of all time. Can you imagine Francona, a new manager handling the Birmingham Barons, hopefully at some point maybe get back to the major leagues. He's spent about ten years as a player with the Expos and the Cubs and the Reds and the Indians and the Brewers. But in walks in the locker room in Birmingham, the Barons, Michael Jordan, and here's the manager Terry Frank kind of explain that one.
Speaker 4: You know, that's a that's a tough one. I'm even fath that.
Speaker 6: I mean, think about think about a guy of you know, because when you're used to the minor leagues, these are guys that are future superstars.
Speaker 4: They're not already established superstars. Uh.
Speaker 6: The the circus, and there's not really much of a circus around minor league teams, But what it is is the prospect of guys.
Speaker 4: I just can't even fathom having a guy like that around a minor league facility. They're not they're they're not equipped for that.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: And so I just think about like the security headache that would go along with that.
Speaker 4: And then you have this personality of the not just.
Speaker 6: The greatest basketball player of all time, but one of the greatest athletes of all time on your team with a bunch of kids that are still young twenties and late teenagers.
Speaker 1: I mean, can you imagine, Well, Michael Jordan at that point after the ninety two Olympics, he was he was bigger than Mine Tanna, bigger than John Dutton. And here comes Michael Jordan. He said, look, we have the wrong food here. They had boloney sandwiches. He had steaks and lobster. We got the wrong travel. Let's get a fancy bus. So they got buses with all individual seats. And then and then the trips out two events. It's Michael Jordan and here's Jerry Reinsdorf begging, begging. Terry Francona has sent them up to the major leagues. I mean, the owner of the White Sox also the owner of the Bulls still is wanted to have a weekend of Michael Jordan in a White Sox uniform. And Terry Francona said he's not ready, He's not ready. And Terry Francona stood down. Jerry Reinsdorf not to put Michael Jordan in Camiskey Park unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine if you would have stuck with it.
Speaker 6: I have no doubts with his athletic prowess that eventually he might have been able to figure it out how to play bay.
Speaker 4: I don't know that he ever would have been a good.
Speaker 6: Don't you have to believe with athleticism, yes, at some point he could have at least.
Speaker 4: Made a roster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then Terry Francona is the manager and then a few years later, I'm sorry. Six years earlier, he's in the Reds locker room in Riverfront Stadium as a player, and Francona in the first game, opening game of eighty seven season, hits a home run and he's he told me that he felt he disappointed Pete Rose. He didn't play up to the level that he should have played in eighty seven, and Pete Rose made the decision at the end of the season to say, you know, you got to get about your your life's work. And after that he went to the Indians and the Birth if Somebody, and I was in the locker room often then with Pete I was doing the Next Your Inning show, and I barely remember Terry Francona in the corner with Luis Canona singing in a quartet. Have you seen her?
Speaker 4: Tell me?
Speaker 1: Have you seen her?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 1: And I'm thinking, I wish I had a video of that going on. So his connection with Michael Jordan, Pete Rose. If somebody had tapped him on the shoulder in eighty seven and said, guess what, You're gonna be a Hall of Manager and you're gonna manage the Reds, nobody would have believed it nobody.
Speaker 6: It's funny the way things work out, and I mean, it's just it just kind of goes to show you you never know what somebody's capable of until they get the chance. And he's certainly made the most of his opportunity and just truly an incredible career as a manager, and really glad that and we're really fortunate that his career continues now leading the Reds.
Speaker 1: Tommy Thrall, are you ready for tomorrow? Are you prepared? Are you geared up?
Speaker 3: I am?
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 6: I will be fully prepared by four to ten tomorrow afternoon.
Speaker 4: I can promise you that.
Speaker 6: Still certainly some things to look over and articles to read, but yeah, no doubt by tomorrow at fourteen, I'll be ready when the bell rings.
Speaker 1: And you and Brandley, it don't get no better than that. And Tommy Thrall, the voice of your Reds, once again, thank you for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show. Lastly, I want a prediction. It's now October the third, twenty twenty five Reds final record. Give it to me. I'm right down.
Speaker 6: Oh shoot, let's say ninety two wins.
Speaker 4: For the Red Legs.
Speaker 1: That's a lot seventy.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna stay very optimistic.
Speaker 1: God bless America. Tommy Thrall, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: I thank you.
Speaker 1: Let's continue with more. I'll get my prediction later, which I think this club is going to do exactly what the seventy Reds did, exactly exactly what the ninety Reds did. A breath of fresh air, new leadership, new manager, and they're going to go for glory and for some the judgment seat of God. I believe that Terry Francona is Moses who will take us to the promised Land. Let's continue with more. Talking about Mike McConnell's retirement from seven hundred ULW so.
Speaker 7: A media person. You just can't stand what's going on there, Paul, what do you know?
Speaker 4: Marty Brennaman way too No it all drive menus listening to him? Dave, what's up?
Speaker 6: Steve Rawley Channel nine, Let's roll with Steve Rawley does the web?
Speaker 4: The guy is a weather terrorist, Sammy, how you.
Speaker 8: Doing doing greatly? Every Saturday morning, Gary Jeff Walker brings me down. I have to work at five o'clock in the morning every Saturday, and I'd rather listen to the two Nature guys with Kip Hart and I can't remember the other guy's name. Sorry, Gary Jeff Walker just brings you down. It just ruins my Saturday. Every Saturday, j W last, What's up?
Speaker 9: Every time I hear Scott Sloan's boy, I think of Rachel mad L He's got the most irritating voice.
Speaker 2: He's an idiot, you know when you hear him say Hi, my name is Scotne, I'm an idiot.
Speaker 4: Tom, what's up today?
Speaker 3: It's gotta be Bill Cunningham.
Speaker 4: Really yeah.
Speaker 3: You know how they say some people have a face for radio.
Speaker 2: Well, Cunningham's got a voice for writing books.
Speaker 1: Hello, quiet skulls, I'm broadcasting second after two o'clock. I mean, aiminar thing. They love us. They were supposed to cut that last part out. I think, I think so, but I don't know what. He's got a voice for writing books, writing books? How's that happen? I don't know. I haven't written too many books. There's a lot of love what for Scott Sloan? Not good? A lot of love for Gary Jeff not good? So what do you do? I mean Steve Rawley? Not much? Steve Rowley? What's he doing? I don't know. I don't know, but I may open up the lines after two o'clock he's doing about say you were here this morning when the living legend Mike McConnell held up his his microphone and hooked his spurs in the wall for the final time. Your reaction will he Mike McConnell is a true professional, and it's been an honor to work for him through through midday, through everything, and especially doing the sports here the last what almost a year with him. He's wonderful to work with. Well, what of about me? I just spoke to Scott Reinhardt and d J Hodge. What about William sag in the morning? Would that be something? That would be something? Boy, imagine the stude that we could do. What, Oh, let's see your f five to nine?
Speaker 4: You could do?
Speaker 1: We could do that's right, we could do four stoods or five six? How about Dave Lapham and Dan Hord in the mornings? No, that goes that one. How about Marty Brenahan in the morning along with Jeff b That's enough. That's that's enough Jeff Brantley at five am? How about Eddy Fingers back in the morning? No, jeez, what about Rocky boyman in the morning. Yes, oh, maybe that's the move. What about Lamb does that he'd have to leave it at two and am to get here? What about Lance mcallist out there? No about red Eye in the morning? Just continue red Eye? No no, no, no, no, no, yes, yes, there's a yes in there. Well sega, was I gonna go new? Uh? Red It said, said, do you listen to red Eye? Will he the st supporters approuch service of your local Tame Star heating and air conditioning dealers, tame Star quality you could feel on the beautiful east Side called Clement's Heating an air at nine three seven four four four forty four oh one? About Jennifer Catchmark in the mornings? Will he college basketball? I woke up this morning and saw they saw the the news. Richard Patino is the new head basketball coach at Xavier University. Yes, is that Rick Patino? No, Richard Richard his son. He turned down, by the way, the Villanova job to take Xavier because Chris Mack wouldn't. I guess didn't pursue Xavier at all. What bite reports? Let me give you the facts. Okay, you fishes in a magazine stand, thank you? Do you want the facts go ahead. There was a private plane leaving Naples, Florida, with the numbers being tracked by Xavier Faithful that went to Charleston. Was it Joe Sunderman and Byron Larkin pilot and co pilot can't say okay, and then to allegedly pick him up and bring him to Victory Parkway. Always Victory. That was all a bunch of bs. By the way, it didn't happen. They interviewed Chris Mack. Chris Mack showed great interest for the job. Great Christopher said, we'll get back to you. If they interviewed him. What kind of staff would you have? Who's the team going to be? We got this, you got that. He's got an eight year old boy. He wanted to want to go to Deer Park High School. And if he go to Deer Park, oh okay. The kids is saying, next, try to go to Deer Park. They can't get in. And so he showed great interest to give a yes. Well that's going on. Great Christopher has in his back pocket the name of Richard Patino, and they make a deal. And then Christopher called back Chris Mack and said the timing isn't right. We wish you well in all your efforts. Why don't you release first that you're staying at the College of Charleston. Why don't you release that an hour before we release it to make it look as if right? I see what you mean, But those are the facts as I know them to be at this point. The Lobos went twenty seven to eight this past season, and in four years with a Lobos eighty eight and forty nine, and he's bringing with him supposedly a couple of star players. Sounds good to me because I'm a Chris macfan. My wife hired him as the assistant freshman coach correct at Mountain Notre Dame High School. She started his pat the Glory and he's the winningest coach in school history. Correct, That's correct. And they turned him down for Richard Patino. Your reaction Attorney update brought to you by ACR Gunny Pools and spas called to Day Swim this year, called Frank Zi Bell. He's running a special cat. I just texted with Frank. He's a good man. Kentucky meets Tennessee Friday Night in Indianapolis and the Sweet sixteen. We understand the Big Blue Nation has arrived in the home of the five hundred. You mean Xavier, No, I'm talking about Kentucky. A lot of orange and big and blue. A good friend of mine is Kenny Smith, who lives in Louisville. His heart beats for Kentucky basketball. He and his wife Diane will be there in Indianapolis cheering on Mark Pope and the Wildcats. By the way, the Wildcats in Kentucky were named after the Deer Park Wildcats. Are you aware of that? Bengals update brought to you by Good Spirits and Party Town with thirteen convenient northern Kentucky locations. Reports are the Bengals are now fully prepared to negotiate a new deal deal with Trey Hendrickson. The trade is off the table. They won Henderson and back, so I guess they're talking deal deal right now as we speak. And you know the last thing he did was talk for Deer Park High School. You aware that? Correct? Russell Wilson's getting a one year, twenty one million dollar deal with the New York Football Giants. Who's their quarterback?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 1: Any idea? I guess Russell Wilson at twenty one million bucks, you better play, but only twelve million is guarantee free eight. I guess maybe he might not be able to laugh at that. The free agent wide receiver receiver Stefan Diggs. It's going to the New England Patriots three year, sixty nine million. Red's Update. The Reds have just placed Austin Hayes on the injured list with a calf injury, a low grade calf injury. Hencer Spencer Steere is active, going to DH and play the outfield. So he's okay, didn't you play that? Didn't he hit? Last night? Right now? Ben Brady Singer and Tyler Stevens are going to ride in the opening day parade tomorrow. I understand they may come on the show with a tomorrow. Is that what you're saying? I don't know, Michael Anderson, is that what you're saying?
Speaker 4: More?
Speaker 1: Is that what you're saying? More to night on the Hot Stove League get six oh five right here on seven hundred WLW course. Our award winning opening day coverage begins tomorrow as the Reds meet the Giants at Logan Webb v. Hunter Green. By the way, Xavier got played again by a coach. Would you agree Miller played him?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 1: Was Miller time and he's off to Texas. Boy that the choir used that term betrayal, it's a little strong. Would you agree if what if somebody offered you double or triple your money? Would you go work at thirteen sixty? Are you crazy? Of course you would. Nine am Live from the Holy Grail with the RNL Carriers Opening Day Spectacular presented by your Greater Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky Toyota Dealers. Then what ortho since the Orthopedics and Sports Medicine and Miami University dot Speaking of Miami University dot com, Miami University Love and Honor is now the official university of the Cincinnati Bengals. What does that mean joining one of the National Football League's most exciting franchises as an educational partner? Of course, Paul Brown graduated from Miami in nineteen thirty and he was a charter member of the Cradle of Coaches.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 1: So let's see, Miami students are going to have exclusive opportunities to be involved with the Bengals through internships, job shadowing, on campus speakers, and many other opportunities. That's good for Miami, the Cradle of Coaches and good for the Bengals segment. I'm tired of people dumping on the Bengals. It's time we rally around the flag. Boy, rally around the flag. Congratulations last night we'll lead to the Cincinnati Bearcats. Ay not baseball, Bearcats a knockoff number eighteen Louisville twelve to two. Well, and how about last night and golf golf? You see men's golf out in Eugene, Oregon, finishing sixth overall in the Duck Invitational part at the University of ore Again into Miami RedHawks golf team who were down here about a year ago or so. Remember them? Yeah, Miami RedHawks are going to compete in the championship match tomorrow against Seaton Hall into Sweeten's Cove Intercollegiate Tournament tomorrow morning in Tennessee. Well, what about good luck to them? I think good move the cradle with coaches. No college in America has more college football coaches come out in Miami, would you agree? Correct? Unbelievable. Well, you're not really talking those segment about Mike McConnell. You're ignoring the fact I said I was leaving. Yeah, Well, what any way you think I think I may do the morning show, and that is.
Speaker 4: That I am going to retire one.
Speaker 5: Why because I'm old. I'll be here through next week and that will be it. I'm not taking any more time off. I'll be here every day through next Friday, and we'll pull the plug on it then.
Speaker 1: So thought about it for a long time, and I guess, like three years.
Speaker 5: Ago when I signed my present contract, pretty much made up my mind was going to go last one and told management over a year ago. So I'll miss a lot of aspects of it, but look forward to it. At the same time, I'll have no regrets because I've done this for a long time. I did the math realized that I started doing this for a living in April of seventy five, so that's fifty years and that's enough. So I've enjoyed it, great job most of my life, and I will miss it, and we'll have plenty of time to talk about it between now and then.
Speaker 4: But that's the announcement of the day.
Speaker 5: Next Friday is my last day on the radio segment.
Speaker 1: Your reaction. Quite a fifty year career there. Well, they started at a gym, sety a date and playing records and with Eddy fingers yep, and has send it into midday greatness. After what After Alan Gardner and Randy Michaels took over. In between them is Pat Barry. He gotta do the weather. He's in heaven above, ye to doing the weather. And then then Mike McConnell took over, and then he went to Chicago, and then he came back and took over for the legend, mister Jim Scott, the living legend, correct, Mike McConnell, the dead legend, Jim Scott. And if he's not in heaven above, there's not a heaven above. Amen to that. So we'll see what happens. But there's nothing more constant segment in life than change. Do you want to get up at three? Well, I mean I live right there, right your proximity to the state. I live right there. You could walk here and be here in five minutes. I could get up at four point fifteen am instead of two forty five am, as Jim Scott did, Mike McConnell does. Yeah, Now I could be here by four forty five. I could get up at four thirty five, take a shower, get dressed, shave, and be in the studio at five o'clock, do five to nine, take a little break, then come back twelve to three. Then what I did after in the nineteen eighties and nineties, cool to the extra inning show, then do that then come back. That wouldn't that be something sure would for no other No rais in money, of course not. I don't want. I don't do it for the money. I do it for the glory, right, Yeah, yeah, so we'll see what happens, Okay. Segment I'm gonna spend two to two thirty talking about the life and times of Mike McConnell. Plus, I love that cut of listeners calling in criticizing the stars of the Big One, including one Scott Sloan and rip it on Gary Jeff. He does a good jeez, A living legend in his own mind too. Yeah, aren't we all? Yeah? Segment, Get me out of the Stude's Report and we're gonna open up the lines in about five minutes Willie and Hotter of a opening day Eve, here we are. Segment. I'm gonna give a speech. I'm not gonna start in eighteen sixty nine. I never get past nineteen nineteen. I'm gonna start in nineteen forty to come us up to twenty twenty five. You won't get past nineteen sixty. Then see if I think you better just mention start now. Yeah, they cut me off in midstroke. Well that's your problem. We leave you with the immortal words of this stood report.
Speaker 3: I'm Pat Berry on news Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: Radio has no future.
Speaker 1: Well there you go. Radio segment has no future, no past, and no present. Okay, yeah, let's continue with more. And after two o'clock you and I are going to talk about Mike McConnell and the personalities here. And who do you recommend to take over the morning show? Willie and Sege's top of the list. It may be up to Sega John John John John possibly think about that. I think Kid Chris on a simulcast on seven hundred WLW, Billy Cunningham. Now it's time to hear from you. One a't you? You appear on seven hundred WLW Now by calling five one three, seven four nine seven thousand per pound seven hundred to respond to what's happening we just played about twenty minutes ago with the seg Man. Some of the comments of customers. In other words, you as a listener as to what's right and what's wrong, what should we do, what shouldn't we do? And Mike McConnell anounced this morning that he's retiring with the thanks of a grateful station a week from Friday, about nine days from now, and that'll be it. In my time here. The first morning man was Gary Burbank, the second one was Jim Scott, the third one was Mike McConnell. Now the fourth one is to be determined. I have a pretty good indication which direction it's going, but nothing is solidified yet. And maybe it's your time to time to kind of call in to talk about what you would like to see newsweather, traffick in sports, and so much more in the morning. Some have suggested that Willie and Seg do the morning talk show between five am and nine am. That's a possibility, of course. Eddie Fingers is the legendary radio personality that began with Mike McConnell some fifty years ago in Dayton area, and now he's doing afternoon drive quite well. He was always my replacement for Gary Burbank. When Gary gave it retired about ten years ago. I had Eddie Fingers pinch hitting constantly for Gary to get him ready, and he's doing a great job. He's a legend, and maybe it's time to return to Eddie Fingers of the Morning along with Rocky Boyman and rock Lives a Far Away. But let's face it, in today's world, wherever you are, you're broadcasting from. So we got that issue. Andy Furman, quality person, quality broadcaster, spent many years as a sports talk host. Maybe it's someone like Scott Sloan. He's a contractor, he's with the skilled trades. He's up every day anyway at four am, servicing his numerous apartments and projects he is and Mason and Warren County. Maybe that would fit his schedule better. We only succeed when we listen to the customers, and you, as a person, are a customer of this sacred radio station that I've had the honor of being out for the last forty two years and hopefully many many more years to come. When I lose the passion, that's when I'm going to stop. But us go to the calls and seven nine seven pounds, seven hundred to want to give Mike a proper salute. I think between now and Monday or Tuesday, things is going to be a little bit accelerated with Red Spaceball tomorrow picking up the pieces of opening Day, honoring Jim Scott, who went on to his reward in Heaven about a year ago. And then on Wednesday of next week, the Reds are off playing I'm off. The Reds are playing and I'm off. So it's your chance to be heard about what Mike McConnell has meant to you over the last almost forty years he's been here. And then also who you would recommend doing the morning show, because we listen to customers and you're the customer, you're the client. We don't talk to a one hundred thousand peace people in one location. We talked to one hundred thousand people a day individually, one to one. Me and you. Let's go to the calls seven four nine, seven thousand or pounds seven hundred through eighteen t Let's go to a Doug in Columbus and Marvin and Love in the Home of the Tigers, and uh, first of all, Doug, give me your criticism or compliment, and who do you think should do the morning show here?
Speaker 9: If anyone, Well, I really like Mike McConnell. I think you should do the morning show would be good. But what I really miss about WLWL a thirty five year listener, and I miss all I know you had Cobaca abb at one time, and I know he's passed, and Mike had Donald don Yeah and Rodwood.
Speaker 4: You guys don't do.
Speaker 9: Any of them characters anymore. I knew someone would plants, but I thought that was very entertaining you guys had.
Speaker 1: But Dick from Dayton is not a plant. Kabaka abba. The black man is for the black woman, the white man is for the white woman. He was a real person. I don't know about plants. I had Loo from Missouri, and I had a bunch of others, Glenn from Mason and uh, you know, it might be a character or two. But you think Willie and seg would do well in the morning.
Speaker 9: I think so.
Speaker 2: I think you do fine.
Speaker 1: Let me give that some thought. I like getting up early and I'm an early riser anyway. But uh, what do you say about Mike? What are you saying anybody with Mike Allen senior or junior? You don't like either one or both?
Speaker 9: I neither one.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll pass that on. But Doug, thank you and Uh, I'll tell you what. We've had a run of morning talk show host here unprecedented and radio. When I came in eighty three, believe or not, the morning man was Gary Burbank, and then about a year and a half later it was Jim Scott, and then about thirty eight years later it was Mike McConnell. And now we're on to the next generation. And uh, you know, all I can say is it's been one hell of a run. And at this point, uh, you know, we everything ends at some point or another. And uh, at some point that tower one exists. You know, radio right now is on your cell phone, you at the iHeartMedia app, and you don't need a tower anymore. And it's kind of sad to see him go. And I want to interview Mike McConnell on uh on Thursday or Friday of next week. Uh, when when he's signing off? And uh, and uh, I have great respect he's on my Mount Rushmore. How about my Mount Rushmore? I got Gary Burbank, Jim Scott, Mike McCollum, me anyone else you put on there.
Speaker 2: Uh that's Tory strong.
Speaker 9: SAT's pretty strong.
Speaker 1: Well, right, that's not bad that's not bad.
Speaker 2: No, that's not bad.
Speaker 1: That's not bad.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 9: More is that Glenn, the Glenn guy called in all the time?
Speaker 4: Was that on your show? Yeah?
Speaker 1: That was me, Glenn F. Mason was an angry black man, and uh he died. I was notified a few years ago. In fact, I go to the I go to the coroner's office. This is on fifteen years ago. I was still practicing law. I had a murder case and I went to get some autopsy notes and this guy comes up to me, test me the shorder. He says, willly, it's Glenn, and I'm looking at him. I said, well, Glenn, nice to know. I'm Glenn. Glenn from Mason worked in the Morgue. He handled bodies in the morgue. I said, are you serious? It was a black guy. And we laughed for a while, and I said, do you believe all the crap you tell me? He said absolutely.
Speaker 4: And I forget.
Speaker 1: I forget what happened to him. But Glenn from Mason worked in the morgue.
Speaker 3: Well, what that's funny.
Speaker 1: Well it's funny at the time. But Doug, thanks for listening. You're the best thing. Let's move on out to Greg and Milford and many others, and Greg give a compliment or a criticism or a suggestion. What do you got, Lily? How are you, sir? I'm doing well? Thank you.
Speaker 2: Thanks So you're a short notice on getting our Morning guy replaced. But I heard you say the other day on the radio that you were on your last four year contract.
Speaker 4: Are you leaving after that?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't you know. Tomorrow has promised to no one. And I signed a four year contrast extension about it about three weeks ago. And I and Greg, as long as you welcome me into your home, your car, as long as I have listeners, I have great advertisers, I have energy. As long as I want to do it, I'm going to do it. And right now when I talk to those like Joe Dieters or Eddie Fingers, and I talked to individuals John Barrett, those guys, and they tell me you're not much different now than you were before. And I said, well, I don't know that's good or bad, but I have every intention of being here forty six years. Like Marty Brenneman forty six years with the Reds. I want to be here forty six years. What can I say, we had an equipment malfunction, but we're back. And by the way, we had a caller criticizing Mike Allen Senior and Junior. That is misplaced. I love Mike Allen Sr. And I love Mike Allen Jr. They pinch it for me on Sunday nights on my syndicated show, and Premier tells me they're among the best hosts. They have taken over from me, So you'll never hear me say a bad word about the Allen clan. I think they do good work and God knows they're good lawyers. Speaking of those characters, we have Richard from Indian Indian Hill calling in. Richard from Indian Hill. Richard, how are.
Speaker 2: You, Willie? How you doing, my man?
Speaker 1: I haven't heard from you in a long time? Are you? And Tracy Jones still find private.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely the only way to fly, especially today in today's climate, for sure. But actually I've got a little bit of scoop here for you. So there is a rumor going around that that morning spot with McConnell's spot is going to be taken by Tracy Jones and Alan Cutler. It's going to be like sports and politics.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, Richard, you run around with Tracy. He's a cufflinker, he's a key shater. He's living the life of ease and comfort as a market manager. Would he would he agree to get up a three o'clock every morning. Tracy Jones, the great number twenty nine and let the ball go through his legs Opening day in left field. I still recall that I was in the left field bleachers and his ball was hidding Tracy Jones, the old number twenty nine. The ball went right through his legs. He thought he was playing croquet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but here's the thing. Tracy's already up because he's trading on international markets and he's I mean, the guy barely sleeps. I bet he sleeps three hours a night.
Speaker 1: He's up and he's concerned about Asian markets early in the morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, he's all over global markets. I mean it's you know, he's trading currencies he's doing. I mean it's the guys. He runs it at net great speed, kind of like you you know. But don't you think him and Alan Cutler would be a good combo.
Speaker 1: I've always had great respect for Alan Cutler.
Speaker 4: I know that, And well, you're you're.
Speaker 2: One of a few, because I mean he's taken a lot of heat. I mean, I remember him and Tracy had some differences in the past, but I think they patched it up, and you know, I think he'll be I think they made you great combo, don't you whether.
Speaker 1: News rather traffick in sports? And you know, some of the best radio I hear is Tracy Jones with Marty Brenahan. They're pretty good. But let me make that list.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: Well, what's your memories of Mike McConnell. Is not like he's gone yet, but he's leaving a week from Friday. Well, what do you think about Mike?
Speaker 2: Mike Mike was a was a great talent. I kind of liked him a little bit better before he left Chicago. I feel like he kind of went a little bit left when he went up to Chicago. But overall, I think he's pretty good. I mean, he's he's great. I mean, he's an icon, don't you a.
Speaker 1: Great He's on my Mount Rushmore here at least the last fifty years. I mean it's well, I got Gary Burbank, I have Jim Scott, I got Mike McConnell. And I have me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I would think that too. I thought you were going to say, Gary Jeff Walker.
Speaker 1: Well, he's one of the boulders in the background. I mean, you know, he's a boulder, he's there. But Garry Brett Walker, I mean, yeah, he's been ready about forty five or fifty years. He knows everything. He can do FM, AM. Mike McConnell can do morning Drive on AM. He does FM like Edy Fingers did morning drive on FM, now doing AM. And both those characters can do anything they want to do and they keep doing it. I do one thing simple, but I have great respect for Mike because he did it for so many years so well. And believe it or not, Richard from Indian Hell, we have more listeners now than we've ever had before, and it's because we got rid of all the competition. In fact, in Tracy Jones's model, we bought the competition. You know what I'm saying, we own right, that's what Tracy would do, just buy the competition. But I'm going to put a call into him when I get off the air to see how how interesting he is in alleys quick question fabulous.
Speaker 2: One quick question? How many wins do you think the Reds are going to have this year?
Speaker 1: I got my list here, I got Moegger said eighty three. Tommy Thrall said ninety two. I'm going I'm gonna put down my wins. I'm gonna say eighty six. I got on the last eighty. How many do you say, I'm going.
Speaker 2: To say ninety one. I'll bet you a hot Pudge Sunday. I'll bet you Jeff Ruby steak.
Speaker 1: I'd rather about a hot Fud Sunday at UDF. One of our advertimes, maybe a hot Fud Sunday and a Jeff Ruby stake.
Speaker 2: Ninety one is you know UDF has that Sicilian pizza which.
Speaker 1: Is great that they brought it in yesterday and I thought it was fabulous. You know, I love you. I love hometown companies in UDF, Jeff Ruby, Ron's Ruth Skyline that those are my hometown guys, and I always you know, I'm still with Cincinnati Bell Alti Fiber. I'm not leaving. I'm a hometown. I still shop with Kroger despite public. So I want to go to I want to go to Kroger. I want to be hometown, I said, Pee and Jam buy all their products, right.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't normally eat him and Agger food like that from a gas station, but I will say this that that Pacilian pizza that they have at UDF is top notch.
Speaker 1: Now, why did you call Tracy? And I'll call him and let's see what we can do about that.
Speaker 2: That sounds good. I'll reach out to him right now. I say we get Tracy jones On, maybe Allen Cutler. If he can't do it, so be it. Maybe he could be a guest like or something.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe Andy Firman. Get Andy Furman in the morning.
Speaker 2: How about you. That would be a good one. Yeah, what about normal Rashid bring somebody back from the TV days?
Speaker 1: Bring them back, unlike Xavier basketball, bring back the Goldies, bring and bring them.
Speaker 2: All back exactly.
Speaker 1: Richard. Good to hear from you, and you're a great America. Good luck with the new G seven you got coming.
Speaker 2: Thank you, my friend.
Speaker 1: Have a good one, God bless Let's continue with more two thirty Home of Your Reds and Mike McConnell's saying goodbye on News Radio seven hundred WLM.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: Anyway, long story short.
Speaker 7: To get up to this resort town, you had to do a big back and forth zig zag switch back all the way up the mountain, which wasn't sitting well with SEG's motion sickness, I guess. So we first determined it was better if Seg sat in the front seat. This was just to go home or to leave and go somewhere. He'd be in the front seat, and he was okay for a while, but then needed actual drama. Mean, now we had a driver, and it's like that, like to drive in the snow, and that's fine, he said. He took my advice because I said, if you're not good at it, just stay home.
Speaker 4: If you're good at it, go have a good time.
Speaker 7: He decided he wasn't good at it, and he stayed home the other day, and I salute him for that. But we had drivers there, so Seg had to take dramamine, and then instead of doing it more than once a day, he would just go down the hill once, go into Alberville, and then come back late at night, even though you had time to go back and forth. But he didn't like that switchback up and down the mountain. And the quote, which I remember countless. I'll tell people this quote many times of this day, was along the lines of the Hell with Korsheval. Give me cole Rain Avenue. I mean it was the most beautiful, one of the most beautiful spots on earth, certainly in the winter, breathtaking views, everything there was. I mean, you couldn't have afforded to stay there if Coca Cola wasn't paying for it. Everything about it was beautiful, Everything about it was spectacular, and seg had finally had it with the mountain.
Speaker 4: It was the Hell with Courchival. Give me cole Raine Avenue.
Speaker 1: Oh hello, bietmos, I'm broadcasting. You said, a minute, hang on, that is a I no, it's I do not remember saying that. In nineteen ninety two we had a great time Mike and call in Bert Bill Franks Mike twenty ten segment. In fact, you were having champagne with Jean Claude Keeley and you said, give me cole Raine Avenue. Remember that year, you know how, Jean Claude Keeley, we wanted to know if there was a ski resort there and you said, Hey, Sean Runky, you've been on Coleraine Avenue. Yeah, a few times. One is more gorgeous Grenoble, France in the Alps, or shall we say cole Raine Avenue, Coleraine Avenue. Sorry, nothing against France, but that's the way it goes. So you're you're calling Mike McConnell. I didn't get that. I didn't have that much I have. I get air sick. I don't get car sick. We came down that mountain every day and every and every night. What happened? It was nothing. Did you not open your eyes and you see the beauty of the app I saw it, and you said, give me Colrane Avenue. We were right on the precipice of the Alps. Jean Claude Keeley, what's wrong? Yeah, France, you were there, the great one we passed, We passed the sign Grenoble, France. I got out and I laid on the ground. It's sacred ground in Grenoble, France with the great French skier. When you drive through Colrand Avenue, you do the same thing, get out and get on the ground. Yeah. But I say, I I I I uh, I sing the fight song. I bet Mike McConnell. I'll tell you leg he was years well. I mean stop at Jim City, the famous you know, his famous him and his famous Christmas message, pretty good show doesn't get any better than that. Now, not bad now. He was more or less conservative. He spent four years in Chicago, came back a liberal. Have you notice that infected with the virus of liberalism? I would say, I hate to say it, but yes, he's a liberal. I hate him, and I think Eddie's a little liberal too correct. I think Rocky is not as conservatives as you should be. I'll say that. But he's got He's all I hear. He's off for Green Township. Trustee, why you want to sound stupid good, then listen to me. Well, he the stooge reporters of proud service of your local Tame Star Heating and air Conditioning dealers, Tamestar quality you can feel in northern Kentucky called tom Recked Heating and air Conditioning at eight five nine two six one eighty two sixty nine. But I hate to grab this microphone in a suggestive fashion. Please continue logan web up against Hunter Green tomorrow and the opener seven hundred ww's coverage live Holy Grail nine am. The over under, by the way, is seventy nine and a half.
Speaker 3: Brentwin Spring Championship Baseball to Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: He didn't say when. He did not say when. It's the r Arnel Carriers Opening Day spectacular. Will you be there with me? Segment yes, one to two, then Lance and made two to three. Yea, possibly, Sabo. We'll have a lot hopefully we have a lot of great guests, will you. I'm sure the Reds will help us out.
Speaker 3: I am so excited about this team. I'm just getting pumped up about it.
Speaker 1: Roster moves today at his opening day E don't tell me the I L. Austin Hayes on the I L with a low grade calf injury. According to Terry Francona doesn't know how how he did it. I don't know Spencer, So why we got one on the I L and Spencer Steer is back. He's on the active roster after that shoulder injury, the mystery mysterious shoulder injury. But he can play right. He played the d H at the start of the season. Hit last night, didn't he.
Speaker 9: Jack McKeon said, this year we got more mrit line.
Speaker 1: Stuart Fairchild has been designated for assignment. Stuart Fairchild, he was with them last year. Don't you pay attention to nothing, not really. Brady Singer and Tyler Stevens are gonna gonna ride in the Opening day parade tomorrow. He's got plenty of free time, is he off the d l on the iel Brady Singers? Okay, Tyler Stevens has got the oblique? What's an oblique? It's right there. It sounds like a French problem. It's what you did to that microphone a few minutes ago. Can you believe this thing popped out and all of a sudden it didn't work and there was ninety five people come in this room. They think you were laying on the flour again. Do you need a Do you need a nurse? Yes? To sit here with you? You know I need Sarah Elise, That's what I need. You want Sarah. You get the nurse in the morning, don't you no? Because they're they're on vacation. Kid, Chris went to Disney World. Too many people here to take too much time off. I'll say that that's one right there, that's one. I'm just saying. Let's see, you're gonna get a good, good dose to me the next several months, though, I guarantee the Los Angeles Dodgers are gonna meet it, gonna be honored at the White House April seventh. Are they consenting to go? Are they? I don't know that. I think they got war plans that they got want to set up in Yemen them in the Eagles. The Miami University Love and Honor has been named the official university of the Cincinnati Bengals. How about that? So the Bengals in Miami. That ties their run deep as Paul Brown graduated from Miami in nineteen thirty, a charter member of the university's famed Cradle of Coaches. Who was presidents segment in nineteen thirty one? And uh, don't tell me who it was? Coolidge? Tell me who it is Calvin Coolidge? No before or after? Can't say answer the question? Nineteen thirty one. Give me a hint. H h. Hubert Humphrey. No, not Hubert Humphrey, Herbert Hoover right there. You must have gone to Cole Raine. I just did that to make me no you, Yes, I did. What was Calvin Coolidge's president? What year? I have no idea? Nineteen twenty four to nineers. Here he is this broadcast tonight, This is who marks the beginning of the mobilization of the whole nation for a great undertaking nineteen thirty five. Security for those of our seems who throw during the coming winter. They're together segment. I hope Jim Nance what going to retire from calling the masters in twenty thirty six, the one hundredth anniversary of the Masters. He's got eleven more years. Yeah, Jim Nance, I'm announcing that Cradle and the Tiger is playing at a level unknown to mere mortals. Mortals.
Speaker 6: Now he is primed to take home this fifth green jacket, nor again his quest for the per master in the unit the years first major.
Speaker 1: He's going out with Trump's granddaughter. It didn't like any master. No, it's Donald Trump Junior's wife, ex wife. She's got five kids with him. Now he's got two or three we know about. So they got yours, mine and ours. So I don't know what the hell the Tiger Woods has got now five kids all of a sudden, well, plus Chazz, Donald Trump Junior's ex wife and him. They got divorced about three years ago. She had she's with Tiger and they said he was snuggling and humbling and like an hammock and put it on the internet. Did all this stuff and said, I want my privacy, having ten million people look at him, I want my privacy. He's like snuggling and like other people around here, like a little privacy. But you got the five kids on one side, the Trumpster, and then you got I think he's got two boy and the girl that we're aware of, probably got a couple of running around he paid off. That's a different story with that pancake waitress. I don't want to go in the background. So he's now hooked up with a Trump and Donald Trump Junior and Donald Trump Senior. The President has givin tiger. They're blessing. Have at it. Your comments please. Unbelievable. And where's that International House of Pancake Waitresses? I don't know where she was it ponter Vita, Florida. Wouldn't he don't she? I'm not sure where it was, but got a pancake order to go? Yeah, sure did? Anyway, what about it? What about these war plans? What can't your thoughts on the war plans that you like? What you what do you think like Yemen's gonna, you know, like do something about it. We can go over there and bomb them and they'd be they'd beat nothing. But you know what about five seconds? Well, you know they did not investigate the thirteen service personnel murdered at Heaven's Skate in Kabul, Afghanistan. Democrats want nothing to do with that. No, And they had a president for two or three years completely dysfunctional, national security problems all over the place, dysfunctional and able to talk using his auto pen. Now the Democrats have an issue, a little hooked hang their hat on as if it's a big deal. It's not. How mny. By the way, was it a successful flight? Was it a successful attack?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: They put the bomb right in that guy, correct, the girlfriend's house in any service person not get hurt. And it's by by Loretta. They're looking for an issue to blast Trump about. That's all about me. That's amazing. How you can put a we can put a ball indo or a drone in a in a front window in the house. I guess, I guess kaboom. I guess Abdullah was visiting his girlfriend or something and they were lit up together. Now they're I guess they're with the seventy two virgins somewhere. Yes, so I'm not sure. And now the Democrats are unhappy with that. They ignored Tesla. Of course a problem with Tesla. In the attacks on Tesla, I saw somebody that they had one of those cyber trucks that he's selling. Yeah, and they had Toyota on the back of it. Like, what's that going to do? Then some guy took an axe to one of them in a parking lot. It didn't Dan Domestic terrorism segment. Domestic terrorism segment. You need to get one of those. I would look good in that, wouldn't I. I would never buy an EV I might buy one. Now, I might buy one. I'd like to roll around with that and just yell at people. I guarantee you like to yell you that. You would pull into the driveways it and one human being would tell you get rid of it. Who's that? Who might that be? Joseph Chevrolet Coran, the first lady of the Tri State would say, get that out of here. I want to surprise her with mister big boy, large statue in the front yard, getting that double decker and the batch of lights on it. I want to get a flying pig, get a pig in the back, and get mister big boy in the front. They're still in a cage somewhere in East Wanted Hills. I like, I've offered five thousand dollars. I won't pay more than that, and I'll pay to have a transporter. But then you can get a Dolly and get Dolly boy and a Dolly Dolly. Well, Dolly is his girlfriend. Well they had a divorce. Oh well, and she got the hand handle it. Yes, she got the hamburger and the cherry coch. You handle that with a magic man and everybody, Yes, the magic man and Randy freaking unfreaking believable. Andy mack Sega's added in Sports by the Wire, be you better want to be in Grenoble Friends more than Coleraine Avenue segment. That was nineteen ninety two, Willie, that was a long time ago. But thanks, we had a great time again A good sponsor segment. What about Izzyes, you forgot about izzies? Didn't you came in today? You got your izzy corn of beef? Yep, Mike, we got I got a beautiful roast beef sandwich. Willy, it was delicious about the big Joe Walder, We've got the pancake cake. Nothing better, nothing better, nothing better, pickles, everything else, you ate them all. You ate the styrofoama came in. Yeah, it was even good, just ate through it. Just put some mustard on there and had the Kmodo dragon just eating through it. Man, it's great, it's great. Thank you Izzies and pickles. I love the pickles. Oh delicious, great pickles. Everything on that menu. I could eat it all in one spot. And you do. Yeah. Tomorrow you and I wantn't we invite everyone to come down to the Holy Grill and why not? You and I will be there between one and two. Two to three is last on the pregame show. I think all the stars and the bigger one will be there. Are both of them? Got flown and Scott, Sloan and mo and don't forget you got Eddie, Eddie, and don't forget the rock Rock will be on her all they got they got to get up early. Eddies may be beginning up early in the future. I shouldn't say much more than that. I can't say, can't say. It's say, be the dawn patrol a M. Don't use this signal app to communicate on who's the new morning man? Okay, don't use this signal app? Okay, okay, well, you're gonna get congressional investigation, won't say, John John, Oh, I'm sorry, John John. What morning man Tiff or maybe Tiff the morning woman? Maybe you and Elise in the morning. Wouldn't that be something, Sarah? Elise would be something. She's gorgeous.
Speaker 10: Will you need a thinking.
Speaker 1: Don't look at me? What would the people's judge say about this? There'd be two questions, One, what do you guys? You would it all? You would need the magic man and a few others in there, and then you would be headed to Columbus in front of this.
Speaker 10: Oh so really you'll be like this time next year, Willy will be like, please, don't even look my way.
Speaker 1: I know that you're my age.
Speaker 11: I know.
Speaker 10: When Willy stops checking you out, that's when you know it's over. I still need him to be a PERV with me. I need for myself.
Speaker 1: Lilly is a PERV with you? I've seen it first. Fine, I'm like coup in a few minutes there. Well, Sarah, if I were younger, I would I would gladly engage in coitus with you. What do you like to engage in coitus? But as soon as a dirty talk dirty to me? Willie say, coitus again, coitus. I enjoyed coitus. But once that's as I know, I'm screwed.
Speaker 10: But I think I did hit a point where I'm like, oh my god, dudes in like their sixties and seventies, or like, no, she's way too old.
Speaker 1: You're too old, you've aged out.
Speaker 10: Oh my god, eighties nineties death bad.
Speaker 1: I can't see you make it in the well that have you seen her naked? Segment? No, come on, tell the truth. Come on, Oh I got a picture you can show you? What about you? I can't say, yeah, segment, give me out of the student's report. We want to honor Mike McConnell in a proper way without courts being in the conversation. Willie hones, Uh, we honored the opening day. What about Mike McConnell. You forgot about him? And also Mike McConnell. We leave you with the immortal words of the Stode report.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hit it.
Speaker 11: The whole town's daddy about sending Sinnati water team.
Speaker 4: Water team?
Speaker 3: What a team?
Speaker 11: We hope each man and a lady from one to eighty. How they scream, how they said, how they screamed?
Speaker 1: Sarah Elite.
Speaker 4: Everyding.
Speaker 1: Keep rooting SI.
Speaker 4: They'll do that.
Speaker 1: Best to keep on Windy, keep winning segment, who.
Speaker 11: Can tell you all I had?
Speaker 5: I had it?
Speaker 4: This year?
Speaker 11: It's Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: What a team? Lot a team?
Speaker 11: What a team?
Speaker 1: Next up tomorrow They're only else starting about nine o'clock segment, will you be there at one? Yes, sir? Possibly Saybo and Waltrip with us? Is that what you're saying? See what happens? I don't know. What about Andy Sabo, she's doing a great job. And tell a gray job there ye? And maybe Sarah Elise she'll be dancing on the bar on news radio seven hundred WLW