Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r. H. Garden Line with skimp rictor.
Speaker 2: The crazy.
Speaker 1: Gas. Can you want a trim? Just watch him as well. Things to sup batras in bringing the glasses like gas, begin your days back again. Not a sound the glasses and gas and the sun beam and down dreaming the gas gas.
Speaker 3: Stop.
Speaker 4: Dreaming.
Speaker 1: Hang on, folks on one slip a coffee away from coheron sobby right back with you and.
Speaker 5: See the Sunday.
Speaker 1: All right, let's give it a shot. Here you be the judge. Welcome to Garden Line. Good to have you with us this morning. We're looking forward to visiting with you. You know, that's what this show is about. I can sit here and drown on about horticulture and gardening and things, and I do some, but it's really about you and your questions in your lawn and your garden, trees and shrubs and house plants and you name it. How do we helpe you have success? That is my goal. I say that this way you pretty much all the time, and that is that we're here to help you have a bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape and more fun in the process. And if I can accomplish even two out of three of those, I'll feel like we've accomplished something for the day. But I know we can hit all three. Gardening is a lot of fun. Yesterday I was in my backyard and we've got a fence on the back wall, and it's this big long privacy fence and you know, you look at it and okay, it's a fence, But being a horticulturist, I want to see green and flowers and fruits and whatever else I can put on that wall to make it look even better, you know, create that eden the view of aging rot resistant wood is not a comfort to me, but of you plants and flowers to smell the fragrance it is. And so I put up some kettle panels on a really tall posts that we have, and I planted Confederate jasmine also known as star jasmine on it. It is evergreen, so it'll look good all year round. And boy, when it blooms, it is, oh fragrant, very nice, very nice plant. And so that's what we're going for there. We're going to aim for that, and that is the plan. So we got them all planted, the vines. I kind of trained them along horizontally. You know, if you just plant things like that jasmine and just sort of let them do what they're gonna do, they're gonna pretty much go up, up and out a little bit, kind of making V shaped if you will. Well, I want that to be a wall of green. So I took all the current bines and went at the very bottom of the fence, just horizontal with them. We're gonna get a lot more shoots, and they're gonna go up, and I'll keep training them out and getting them to reach each other and connect and fill in. But that's just part of that process that happens in shrubs too a lot. By the way, you may have noticed that your shrubs keep wanting to be top heavy. They want to be wide at the top, and then at the bottom you don't have any foliage because the top is shading out the bottom and you only get leaves where you get light. We'll say that again, you only get leaves where you get light. So, whether it's a fruit tree or whatever it is, if the top is shading out the interior or the bottom, they're not going to be leaves down there. And so most people want a shrub to be just a wall of foliage. Especially if it's a screening shrub, a hedge, and so that. To do that, you got to keep the bottom wider than the top as you print it, and you'll be fighting against what the shrub is trying to do when you do that. They want to grow top heavy. They want to be an umbrella with all the leaves up on the top like an umbrella, and then all stiggy and twiggy and twiggy and everything else down below. But as you keep the top a little more narrow at least parallel, but a little more narrow at the top, a little wider at the base, sunlight reaches all areas, and you maintain foliage from top to bottom. That's what we're going for anyway, That's what I've been up to. Yesterday, at least I made a little doughnut of soil around each plant, maybe I don't know, let's say three and a half four inches high, and water did in really good. The reason I do the doughnut of soil called a berm, is because when you fill that with water, it all has to go straight down right there, which guess what is where all my roots are. I planted him yesterday. I do not have roots all through the bed. Yet it take a long time to achieve that, but early on for survival going into summer. Here it is June and I'm planting plants. It's okay. All I gotta do is go out there and water them frequently in that small amount, just an inch or so of water inch or two or three of water, depending on on you know what, whether it's in lots of sun or just a little bit of sun. Minds in a medium amount. And that's what we'll do well watered in that way. And once you know, we get through this first summer, I'll begain In fact, before we get to the end of the summer, I'll be watering the whole bed periodically, but mainly for right now it's where all the roots are. And that's a mistake people make a lot on plants, is they put it in the ground. You get some rain, and the whole soil in the bed is all nice and soaked and wet. But that little root ball, that cylinder that came out of the pot, that's where that's where the water gets pumped out really fast on a hot sunny day, and so that's where you got to add the water. So you find that sweet spot between consistently moist and soggy water logged swamp. No oxygen in the roots, that's all bad. So how do you find the spot in between the two?
Speaker 6: Way?
Speaker 1: You kin'd of have to use your fingers and feel. That's the bottom line. And I can sit there and tell you boill for every gallon of container size, you give it a gallon of water. Every you know, I could make up stuff like that. I mean to be generally accurate. But different soil types, different sun amounts. On the end of your hand are some really handy gardening gadgets. One of them is your fingers and that feels the soil and you can tell if soil is moist or not, and that is really handy. Sometimes I think I'll give you the laydown of all the the gardening gadgets on the end of your hand. That would be a maybe I'll do that today. Well anyway, seven one three two one two k t RH. If you'd like to give me a call, let's visit about the things that are of interest to you. Eagle turf fungicide is from nitrophoss. Eagle turf fungicide is very very effective in shutting down a number of different diseases because it's a systemic protectant. It gets in the planet, it gets in the roots, it goes out, it kills diseases that are present in the plant, which a lot of fungicize just keep the disease from infecting. This one gets in the plant itself and kills the disease inside and it lasts. Eagletur fungicide from nitrofoss available a lot of different places. You're going to find it in spots, let's say, like dndfeed and tumble maybe MD beam Er down on Sagemont and in Sagemont, or a clear Lake area M and D clear Lake on Bay Area Boulevard Brennam excuse me, plants and things another place that you're going to find nitroposs products. Time for me to take a little break here in just a second, just one more reminder seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four or seven one three two one two k t RH. Let's talk about the things that you're interested in this morning, and we will be right back to do that. All right, we're back, Welcome back. I'm your host, skip Rick.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Guarden line. We got some gardening talk to do today, if you'd like to give me a call. Seven one three two one two k tr H seven one three two and two k trhe. I planted a type of Collocasia in my garden yesterday in one of the one of the beds actually up against the house. We're up shady aery gets a little bit of sun.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: And if you're not familiar with colocasia, Colocasia and allocacia and kalladiums all have those big heart shaped leaves. Uh. If you you probably have heard of elephant well you know what kladium's arm, sure, but you probably heard of elephant ears before. Okay, that's that that group of plants that that's what we're talking about here.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: The allocacias in general. Uh, they're they're all kind of heart shaped slash arrow head shaped in their leaf. But the cases tend to point the leaves upward or outward a little bit, while the colocations tend to hang down. So when you look at them, you're seeing a heart that looks like a heart, with the allocations you're looking at more like a arrowhead. Which the way I remember that, by the way, is allocacia. It begins with a as does Arrowhead. So not all of them point, you know, just directly up. They do lean out, but anyway, that's a general purpose. They each have their best spots that they can go in. But I was planning one that's really colorful one and it just reminded me Arburgate Garden Center and Tom Ball has a wonderful selection of all kinds of tropical looking things. You know, we get here to summer, it's hot, it's sultry, and tropical plants thrive here. You know, we think, oh my gosh, I'm going to die. I feel like this is more sweltering than you know, Calcutta or someplace deep deep in the rainforest jungle.
Speaker 7: No that it.
Speaker 1: We have plants that love it. They love those kind of conditions. And what do they say when in Rome? Do as the Romans do? Well? If you want to have a happy landscape in the summer, include a lot of tropical plants, tropical dazzlers, plants that are just gorgeous. And boy does Arbrogaatee ever have some beautiful ones of those. You know, there's a standard green colors, there's types with colorful petioles. Kind of planet. It had kind of reddish petioles in it. There's some types. There's one that, oh gosh, the name's escaping me right now, but it has splashes of pink inside of a purple leaf. It's a fairly new one, kind of a Hawaiian something Hawaiian in the name, I can't remember, but anyway, another kind has purple leaves, deep deep purple leaves and with those big giant bold foliage there eye catchers. And remember when you're doing your landscape, to change up, change up your colors in the landscape, and change up your textures so you get something really fine grass like a grass an ornamental clumbing grass has very fine lines, fine tech. Make sure the bold leaves of color Caasha and Allocasia are just wonderful contrast to that. So use those more and use color in foliage as much as you can. In the summer. We have lots of blooming things in summer, but not as many a spring. And so when summer comes, even when plants kind of start to not bloom as well, you still can have color by using bold foliage color. All right, let's run out to Brian, Texas and we're going to talk to Dan this morning. Hello, Dan, Welcome to guarden Line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good morning, Hey Skip, I've got a question. I just bought a little piece of land out in kind of northeast of Brian. It's pretty wide open out there, there's no trees on it, and were just wanting to get some recommendations on some relatively fast growing shade trees and ornamentals. I know I've had great myrtles in the past, and great myrtles have done pretty good. I've been out in here in the Crosby area, but just now relocating and just wanted to get your thoughts on some trees. I know live oaks are big up there, but heck, I'm seventy two years old. I'll never see live oaks grow.
Speaker 8: There.
Speaker 6: You go.
Speaker 1: Well, they say society is great when men plant trees under whose shade they will never set, So that there's something to think about. Well, Dan, you know, as you go up north and east of Brian, whether you're up to the North Ulch or Wickson Valley or anywhere out in that area, you've got a range of different soils that we are looking at the area of Texas called the Post Oak Belt. So there's a lot of grainy, granular gravelly types of soil that post oaks love. I would not plant a post oak by the way number one. You can find it in the garden center. But there's also some clay soils up in there, and so a couple of options there. You could go with a red oak such as a shoemard or a nut tall and nut tall or shumard red oak. They grow pretty fast when you get all the weeds away from them, so they don't have any competition. Give them a big mulched area so they have a forest floor environment, and water them regularly. Watering is more important than fertilizing, but of course also fertilize them with a nitrogen based fertilizer. You can get pretty good growth out of those. There are a lot of other trees too, It just kind of depends on what you like. The cypress trees will do well up there. You see a lot of those as you drive through Brian College Station and road medians and other things. Just if you can get something that doesn't if it's going to be in your yard, get something that doesn't produce knees. There are cypress that produce knees and cypress that don't. If you have a clay soil. With the amount of rain you get up there, which isn't as much as in Houston, but it still is a lot that soul stay soggy and the knees start popping up in your lawnmower has the time of it. So just something to think about. If you go with the cypress, they're very sturdy, very long lived. A lot of people like elms, and there's some beautiful elms. If you want a tree that once it's established, you don't care for, have to care for a lot. Cedar elm is a good tough one that can do that. It doesn't make as big and spreading of a tree as the others as the oaks will.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, I think that like that red oak idea. Maybe do you think, yeah, great marbles you think of do alight up there?
Speaker 1: They do? They do great up there. They are a tough tree, surprisingly tough. I would if you want shade from it, I would get a very large one, such as natches like the Indian tribe at trail. Yeah, not just trail like that. It has white flowers and it has a beautiful cinnamon colored exfoliating bark, unlike the putty colored trunks of most crape myrtles. This one has even attractive trunks. I think so Natchez will get about thirty feet tall with water and care. Okay, well, great, it has a few ideas.
Speaker 4: Appreciate your information. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you and you're not far from wims And tree farms done in Plannersville. But they grow a lot of trees out there, and they will sell if you contact the amount of time, I believe you can just go down and make a retail purchase. Okay, what is what was the name of it, Williamson Tree Farm. They're connected to RCW Nurseries in history Whimst's in Plannersville. If you if you go one oh five, like you're going to Conroe and turn south toward Plannersville, it's just right there on the left, off to the left. Okay, well great, Hey, yeah, this sounds great.
Speaker 4: Hey, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: All right, have fun. All right, you're listening to Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter. How can we help you today with your garden? Like we just were talking with Dan there about some tree ideas for a certain part of the listening area. Whenever you choose plants do. Remember that they have an opinion about the soil. And I mentioned the you know, that area is in the gravelly the gravelly soils of the Postoke Belt, but also the clavy clay soils. But there's also sandy soils. In every area, there's somewhere there's going to be some sand. So that's another thing to keep in mind. Quality Home Products is the number one generator servicer in the Houston area, you know. And they're number one for a number of reasons. First of all, from the time you first call them or walk in, you're getting customer service. They are making sure you get the generator you need. They ask you the questions they need to ask to make sure you get the size and type of generator that you need. They have the Generac automatic standby generators, which is amazing generator. It just comes on when the power goes off. You don't even get out of your chair. But their service, you know, they take care of any permits that you need to get to put in a generator that you don't have to do that. They handle that for you. They come out and pour a nice strong, thick pad for the generator to go on. Other companies often will drop a little two inch piece of concrete on the ground, hit it good with a good lawmar zone and move it to the side. Not quality home. It's quality that they do. Listen. This company's been a family owned business here in the Houston area since nineteen eighty nine, and the number of awards they have won and continue to win is amazing. The Better Business Bureau and they're the ones that make sure companies are taking care of their customers. Most prestigious Award eight times Better Business Bureaus Most prestigious Award eight times. Quality Home Products of Texas standout, organization, reliability, integrity. They prize really in fact, they want you to be happy. They prioritize being honesty, honest, and transparent really with every one of their clients. Qualitytx dot Com is the website. Go check them out or give them a call. Seven one three quality, seven one three quality. They have quality products, definitely quality service so that you can enjoy a quality life. And by the way, hurricane season is coming and last year taught us that we can be out of power for significant periods of time. Don't delay, it's a process to get this done. Call Quality Home Products of Texas seven one three quality. All right, you're listening to garden Line. If you'd like to give me a call. Seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. I was out yesterday checking out my mosquito buckets, the ones I got from Pestbros. And you can too, by the way that by the way, they service the whole area from Baytown to kd and from the Woodlands all the way down to Texas City, and uh, you know, they just do mosquitoes. But boy, do they ever do mosquitos. We were sitting out yesterday and I think we had one or two mosquitoes kind of that came up on us and we were sitting out in that prime mosquito time of the day, you know what I'm talking about, end of the day, and they just come out and eat you live. We've had rain good night week after week where we've had rains to create those little puddles. All it takes is a bottle cup of water for mosquitoes to breed. And normally, you know, I would have been having to chain myself to the ground because mosquitos have been some mini on me that'll lift me up off the patio carried me away. Best Bro shuts that down with their mosquito box. It really really works good. Yeah, I mean nothing is going to get rid of every mosquito. I used to nuke my lawn with a foger just to be able to go out for a little while with family and friends and enjoy that outdoor area. Not anymore. Not anymore. Mosquito can always fly in from here for there, but the bulk of them, the way the buckets work. Just call them and ask them how they work. They can take seven two eight one two o six forty six seventy two eight one two o six four to six seven zero, or go to the website the Pest Bros b r o s dot com talk to them about their termite control. Also, you know termites. That reminds me it's they pour a material down in a little trench around the out just outside the perimeter of your house and termite's trying to come through. Shut them down for ten years. And I like that because you know, to put a lot of pest to side out where kids and pets and other things are going to be encountering. It's not a good thing at pest Bros. They know how to treat effectively, but they also know how to do so in the safest manner, so you get long term control without worries. Vpestbros dot Com two eight one two o six forty six seventy Sitting here looking at my clock. I got about a minute left. So well, when we come back and remember it, I may need to get my producer to remind me. I want to talk about the things at the end of our arms and how we use them in horticulture, in gardening. I know you're good. Why is he saying it that way? I don't know why I say things Wed, It's just the.
Speaker 6: Way it is.
Speaker 1: I'll be also talking this morning a little bit about fruit trees that do not produce fruit and why that, why that is, and what you can do. So stick around, stay tuned. We definitely want to spend some time on that with you. If you got any other questions, if you'd like, we have an open boards right now. Actually, if you want to be one of the first ones up, well if you get on the phone right now seven one three two one two kat r h Alejandro, get you up on the board so you can be first up. When we come back. Hey, welcome back to guarden Line. Good to have you with us. What are we going to talk about today, Well, you tell me when the phone calls. We got a couple of folks online here be visiting with in just a moment. If you've not been down to Enchanted Forest Garden Center, you really need to go. They have got a wonderful selection of plants. I always tell you about their herbs and vegetables and things. I always tell you about the pollinator plants and the butterfly plant. Just just butterfly alone, I mean the plants that attract the adults, the plants that are the tract the larva, which is important. You know, you want monarchs, you got to have milkweed, so monarch larva there. You want to go, frittlery, butterflies, you got to have some passion bend because that's what their baby's eat. Well, and Chanted Forest has all of that, and of course a lot more. They also have some desert willows. I don't know if you're familiar with desert willow, but it is a very fine textured tree. You know, earlier I was talking about the the colocasia and alocasia, how they had the big bold leaves. Well, this is a very fine strappy leaf, very thin narrow leaves, but they have beautiful blooms. There's a number of different there's just the standard wild type of desert willow, and then there's some varieties that have been selected. They have one called Bubba. Bubba has been around a good while and it is a dependable variety. It's been proven. The blooms on it are kind of a pink to maroon burgundy color. They're sort of in that range, and it makes a small tree that casts a light shade. The nice thing about that is you put it in a flower bed, maybe a high dry mound, because it can take drought very very well, and then you can plant things around it and they get enough light to still do pretty well. You know, you get something that is evergreen and just casts the shade so dark you can't see your hand in front of your face. Bubba desert willow is different than that, and it really deserves a place in our landscapes, So especially those of you who are trying to cut down on water use that are looking for things that are more drought tolerant. Once established anyway in shanty forest, just go there FM twenty seven fifty nine. If you are going from Richmond Rosenberg area up to Sugarland direction, it's off to the right on FM, or better yet, go to their awesome website. It is really helpful. Enchanted forrest Richmond, TX dot com. We're going to go now up to the northwest Houston area and with well ed, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 9: My favorite subject has become soil.
Speaker 5: And okay, well, I'm still battling it. I went organic about four years ago on all of my fertilizing. Now I want to get more into putting stuff into the soul, more and more that can help amend it and spent but to get it, I'm using Microlife for almost everything. I'm using as a mite at times, I'm.
Speaker 9: Using mister Ferguson's remineralizer a lot, and his molt is a lot. Now I want to put some stuff in that's liquid now, and then I want to put.
Speaker 5: Stuff down that's granular. I just want to pump that song, and I don't mind spending the money to do it.
Speaker 9: Give me some one two, three, four by six things to do and regularly, oh.
Speaker 1: Boy, I can do Okay, well, Uh, First of all, you're on a good track with great products. Congratulations on that.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 1: Or is your sore clay soil? Or is it more of a sand or a loan? Do you know?
Speaker 9: No, No, it's a lot of clay.
Speaker 5: When you dig down more than the depth.
Speaker 9: Of a shovel blade, you know what?
Speaker 5: You hit me down there?
Speaker 9: And now I have gotten the most of the whey. I'm interested a little more.
Speaker 5: Broken up over the last five or two in years, but I know I need to just keep going down back and forth doing something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, ed, well, for the sake of time, I'm gonna Your question is about one thousand and one good questions all packed into one. So let me give you some quick highlights. When you improve on a clay, you do it with organic matter, and you do it with expanded shale. I didn't hear you mentioned shale. But as you mix several inches of expanded shale down into a clay, it loosens it up significantly. There's been a lot of research on that that has shown the benefits to a clay. Organic matter is always wonderful. Organic matter is what nature does to soil, and so it works. But organic matter decomposes, and so if you're going to put in something like let's say a roast bush, well that's going to be there for years, decades maybe, and so you can't just amend the soil once with organic matter. Having the expanded shale in there. Making sure you have good drainage is all important. If you're using the azamite and then you mentioned mister Ferguson's mineralizer, those are similar products. So what I would recommend you do is occasionally test your soil. You can go to a website that's soil Testing is the name of the website, Soil Testing, and then it's dot ta MU, which is Texas and M University dot edu Soil Testing dot TAMU, dot edu. Find the urban soil test form, fill it out, follow the destructions, and then let them tell you what's in your soil. They may tell you your potassium is high, they may tell you it's low, they may tell you it's just right. But when you get that result, then you'll know exactly going forward how to fertilize. If we just use the same thing over and over and over again without ever testing, we can be gradually getting out of balance. And so we want to avoid that, and I think you're at a point now where some soil testing would be in order. Okay, I agree, I agree, Okay, all right, Hey, call me back sometime we'll continue this discussion. So sounds like you got a lot more good questions. But I'd love to visit with you.
Speaker 5: You you're very You're very smart.
Speaker 10: You know I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 1: Thank you, all right, thank you, sir. Appreciate Yes, sir, appreciate that. Thanks a lot. Let's go now to Pat in the barker Cypress area. Hey, Pat, welcome to garden Line. Good morning, Skip, thanks for taking my call. I've got a weed.
Speaker 11: It has little bitty of white flowers on it in my Saint Augustine, and you can grab clumps of it and just pull it up. Is I put a pre emergence way back when it was cold before it got hot, but it didn't seem to affect it.
Speaker 1: Uh, I've had it. Yeah. Do you know if picture of the weed again in your mind's eye, does it have four padals that are skinned and white so it looks like a little white X or a little white cross on the flowers. No, it has on the runners. It only on top of the soil. I noticed it.
Speaker 11: It will every once in a while. You got to pull it real hard to get it out of the ground. But it also has these little beady things along the runners, just a little.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 11: They're green, some of them are white.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh boy, Well, I think it's Virginia button weed. But some things you're saying or contrary to that. The best answer I can give you is for you to take a picture of it and email it to me and let me make sure I give you the right answer. I mean, I can shoot from the hip, but we may be wasting your time and money, and I don't want to do that. I think you're talking about Virginia button weed. But Virginia button weed has small, white, cross shaped flowers. They're probably across the whole flower, maybe about a third of an inch or so. But I'm going to put you on hold, and if you'd like to pursue that, just my producer will pick it up and he'll tell you to email me that photo and then let's get get you a good I don't want to pursue that. I don't want to pursue Okay.
Speaker 11: Also, I have Dallas grass and I read that stuff is very hard to get rid of.
Speaker 1: You almost have to dig it up. Is that? Do you know anything that pretty much, well, pretty much digging it up is going to be what you end up doing. It is a very very difficult, very difficult grass to control from a homeowner standpoint, just due to the the access that you have to, not as many products as as someone else, you know, as a commercial person I would have access to. But digging is a very dependable way if you're going to do I tell you what, let me do this. I'm about to have to go to a break here. I'll come back from break and I'll talk about Dallas grass just a little bit, okay, and then we'll do that. And for the Virginia, for what I think you have in the Virginia button weed, there's a productal celsius, like the temperature celsius and follow the label and see how that works. It's going to take more than one application to kill it. That's just the way. Hey, thank you, thank you for the call. I appreciate I appreciate that very much. I'm sorry, I got I got to run here. I'll be right back. Folks already, look back a little Roger Miller this morning on Garden Line. Hey, I was just talking with a pat about the Dallas grass and we just ran flat, ran out of time, but I didn't want to make a couple of comments about it. Dallas grass is one of the most difficult grasses to control for a homeowner, a resident, a non commercial applicator. You just don't have access to some of the things that commercial folks do. It's hard for commerce for commercial folks to control too, by the way, But what I would recommend for it, Number one, hand digging. I know you don't want to hear that, but you know, if your whole yard's Dallas grass, I don't know, maybe just kill everything and replant. That would be one thing. It's too much to handig. But if you have some just here and there, just stay with it. Hand dig never let it produce seeds and increase its spread that way. But getting out there wet the soil really well, you know, an inch of water or following a good rainstorm the next day or so, you can easily get it up. Get you one of the little prong weaters that goes in the ground, you can kind of lift it up a little bit. I like to use a soil knife for that. By the way, love my soil knife, but just do it a little at a time here and there. I have controlled a lot of weeds that way, and I'm not trying to do the whole yard on one day. But get out early morning when it's cool, work for a little while, come back to it later. That's legit now. Other than that, there's two options that are not as thorough as that, but they are options. One is to use a product to just kill it and kill everything. It'll kill your long grass, it'll kill the Dallas grass. So you spot treat as much as you can get it on the Dallas grass without getting it on your turf grass. And those are those general products. You know, glyf essay, it has been once, been around for a long time. But when you treat a weed with that, it's gonna kill it and it's gonna get it out of there. But you're gonna have all these dead spots in your yard and then the grass can grow back in or you can plug some in. How you go about it, all right. The last option is to use something called Celsius, which I talked about before. Celsius has three three different ingredients in it. One of them, only one of them is pretty effective against Dallas grass. You can use celsius early in the mornings, even in the month of June where it's really hot out there. But I'd get it done and then I'd be ready to come back at it and do it again in the fall. It doesn't if you read the labels, it says it suppresses it. Okay, so if you suppress and suppress and suppress, you can kill something pretty much. But that would be the other one. Not a great it's not a miracle cure. It's not you know, you're I'm just telling you. It's a This is why I said it's a tough week. There's just not og. Spray this and it'll kill everything, kill it and you'll be good. So anyway, those are your options for Dallas grass unless you have a major infestation and a very large lawn. I you know, I wouldn't do the hand digging, but you even if you hire somebody to do it, if as long as they get all the pieces and parts out of the ground, that hand digging is is definitely a valid option. And then create a dense, healthy lawn so sunlight can't hit the soil and you have better success. You know, I talk about turf all the time. I talk about soil all the time. And if you want to have success with any kind of plant, it's the soils where you start. And Cienamultch is where you go. Cina Maltch is south of Houston. You're Highway six and two eighty eight. Go to the website Sienna Mulch dot com cienamultch dot com. When you go there, you're going to find by the bag, you're going to find by the bulk all kinds of products, whether it's various types of composts, bed mixes and multches that go on top of the ground, as well as other things you need around the landscape like sand and gravel, soil for filling in, soil blends for filling in to the to the level out some areas in your lawn. Cienamultz dot COM's where you go. You also find the nutrients that go in the ground to build the brown stuff into a bank account that plants can thrive in. That would include stuff from microlife and nitrofoss and nail, some plant food and medina and certainly asamite as well. All there at Ciena Maltz Sienna multch dot com. So you're listening to garden Line a phone number seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H. I was being kind of in not talking on the phone, but doing some text emailing with the folks at Pierscape, so that I'm going to go ahead and look at one of their sites. I'll be posting some stuff online here for too long, just to show you kind of work they do. I would like to go visit our clients here on Guardenline, those who sponsor our show, those who are our supporters, and see the work that they do. You know, I'd sit here and tell you that Piercescapes is unbelievable, and you can see for yourself by going to pierscapes dot com. See the kind of work they do. I mean, we're talking about rock, walkways and walls a stone, We're talking about landscape irrigation. We're talking about drainage of areas that don't drain, landscape lighting, issues with your irrigation system, or maybe you just need quarterly service. You want once a quarter that's every three months for them to come out go to your beds, flower beds and stuff, get them all weed free, make sure they got some good mulch in them, make sure the irrigation is working, do any trimming that needs to be done, and then you set it up accordingly with them. But they can replace the plants that you have with new plants. For example, those pansies from winter aren't looking very good now are they. In fact, they're gone, but they'll come in and do a color change in the bed for you. All from Pierce Scapes piercescapes dot com two eight one three seven h five zero six zero. So anyway, I'm gonna head out there, take a look at some of the work that they do, get some pictures. I'll post some stuff onto social media. As a result of that, I was visiting with some folks that were went to jorg sitting gardens recently. Boy, they just loved loved it. They really enjoyed good Jorges down in the Alvin Santa Fe area. It's an Alvin address. It's on Elizabeth Street and Alvin. But if you're in Alvin, you're heading down Highway six towards Santa Fe. It's off to the right back in that direction, and all of you folks in Alvin, Santa Fe, certainly Hillcrest, Algoo, Alta, Lomo Arcadia, that whole region down there. This is your backyard garden center. Horay carries the three sixty trees abilizer. Jorge always has a good selection of fruit trees, both things like blueberries et ceterus, but also peaches and plums and you name it. Got some good avocados right now too. And then there's all the color plants from roses to annuals and perennials and whatever you need to have success. Jorges Hidden Gardens that would be on Elizabeth Street, alven Dress seven to one three six three two fifty two ninety seven one three six three two five two nine zero. Well, I believe I've run out of time on this segment. We're going to be take a little break. You and I can each get us a cup of coffee. Be ready to go again here in just a moment. And when we come back, don't let me forget. I want to talk to you about the gardening tools that each of us has come equipped with at the end of our arms. I know that's curious, isn't it. It's called a teaser. By the way, don't go away. We'll be back to do that. Hey, if you got some time, go to gardening with Skip dot com and just bookmarket. You don't have time to look at everything. They're just book market and come back to it. Bus my web guy the other day and we are about to post a bunch more stuff on there, getting it all set up and ready to go with a new transition coming as well. But anyway, check it out bookmarket well the right guy. Hey, welcome to garden Line folks. Glad to have you back. What do you want to talk about? Give me call seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H. I was in an ACE Hardware store the other day, and I try to get around and see different Ace Hardware stores because each one is independently owned. So while it is an a store and therefore has all the things you would expect from an ACE store, all kinds of quality products and whatnot, each one has its own personalities. You know, an owner can choose to open up a fudge bar if they want in one of the stores, or they can choose to do something else like that, and it's always fun to go see what they have and the cool products that they have and services. The ACE Hardware is all over the place. You know, you can go to ACE Hardware Texas dot com. Acehardware Texas dot com and you can find the store near you. Don't forget the Texas ACE Hardware Texas dot com. That's my ACE Hardware group here in the greater Houston area. So if you're listening all the way down from Rockport to I don't know, Orange, Texas, you have ACE Hardware stores in your area that are part of our group. Stores like Child's Building Supply in Orange or Memorial Hardware a Memorial Drive in Houston, Port Lavaca on Calhoun Plaza in Port Lavaca, Lake Conroe ACE on Highway one oh five just outside Montgomery there. League City ACE is down in League City on the West League City Parkway. All Star is in Magnolia on FM fourteen eighty eight and by there, in fact, it did an appearance there a while back. And Bay Cliff Face on Grand Avenue and Bake Cliff. Those are all examples of some of the ACE Hardware stores. Now, when you go into an ACE Hardware store, you're going to find things that are quality and things that are pertinent to the kinds of gardening and enjoying the indoors and outdoors. So for example, maybe you need maybe you need your deck kind of rece stained, or you need a preservation product for your deck. They've got that, of course, they have paints and all kinds of things like that. Don't let that go too far, by the way, you want to catch it and keep good quality of all your deck materials by you know, taking care of them. That way. You need propane for barbecuing and other things. Do you need barbecue equipment? Don't forget to get air filters when you're in there. Always one changes out about once a month in order to make sure you are taking care of that very expensive central heat and air unit that you have, So make sure and replace those in there. And then of course for gardening, everything you can imagine, certainly the fertilizers, the pest control, of the disease control. Listen, when you go into ACE, you're going to find everything you need. ACE is the place, that's what they say, and that is a fact. By the way, do you know if you know exactly already what you want to need. Most things you can buy online and pick them up at your store, your local ACE Hardware store, which you're going to find at ACE Hardware Texas dot com. And one last thing, sign up for the ACE Rewards program. Sign up. You can do it online, you can do it and when you go into a store. But I belong to it every time I go into ACE and shop. You know, with the Rewards program there's discounts and special offers only for ACE Rewards customers email directly to you. So make sure and sign up for that. Take advantage of that great, great idea. All right, if you are interested in asking your gardening question, you can reach me at seven to one to three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H. I was talking to somebody about Buchanan's plants the other day. What was oh they were They were discussing some of the natives and things that Buchanans has and uh, Buchanans has a better selection in natives than anybody in the whole region, the whole region. I don't care where you're I said, from Orange to Rockport, I don't care where you're listening from. Buchanus native plants is going to be a source for those things that are great plants to have but just not widely available. Of course, they have the standard stuff. Yes, it's not just native plants. You're going to find great pollinator plants there. You're going to find you know, I was talking earlier about some of the tropicals, the gaudy tropicals with beautiful color. They have those there. If you're into succulents and indoor plants and you really really love house plants, you can have one of the best selections you're gonna find, as well as one of the biggest urban vegetable selections here in the city. Uh, it's excellent, excellent, excellent. They know that it begins in the soil. They know, you know, I talk about brown stuff before green stuff. Buchanans has got everything you need. They have a full line of Microlife's products. They have nitrofoss and Nelson. They have products from Medina for example. They have soil products from Nature's Way and Airloom Sauce, and then they have their own a couple of different lines like their Life below in the Tropicore that they carry. Beautiful gift shop. I mean, there's a thousand reasons to go to Buchanans a thousand. They added one thousand and one earlier this year and that was the new checkout area. It's a nice covered roof where you're out of the sun, you're out of the rain, and then they're not going to lose that oneto a storm again like they have the other two. So they are all set up and ready to go. Go to the website, which is I think one of the best sources of information on gardening that I've seen, and that is buchanansplants dot Com. Helpful videos, good information. They feature plants each week. You want to be part of that, and you want to sign up for the newsletter. Buchan's naeded plants on Eleventh Street and the Heights. We're gonna head out and out to the phones and had the Spring branch and talk to Herda. Well, hello, herd it good morning.
Speaker 2: Good morning. My questions about day lilies. Uh there's a cluster of them on both sides of the sidewalk and uh they bloomed. It's white and just a hue of a kind of a rose color. But anyway, they I guess they bloomed about I didn't you know, look at the time that they were blooming. But uh then uh, and of course they roll up at night. I didn't know that, I'm learning.
Speaker 1: But you're running around out side at night looking at day lilies.
Speaker 2: Well, no, the next day, I mean, there's just all they're all dead, shriveled and wrinkled. But anyway, now they have a little green bulb at the top. Oh, by the way, the stem is a straw. They don't have any other form. But anyway, I've never had these. Well, but anyway, uh is that bulb wh a new bloom coming?
Speaker 1: Or I'd have to see it to be sure. You may have a seed, you may have even a seed pod going on up there, but it could be. Give a little time, just wait and watch and see there's a wonderful plant. Day lilies. They they you know they they have They're called day lily for a reason. As you know now, it's a good dependable toup plants. Some of them repeat bloom better than others. But as you as you get along into it, you can find some gorgeous colors and very dependable ones too. I'm sorry to have to run, but I got like three seconds before i'ma have to go to a break. I appreciate you carfian to hang around weeking. Okay, you take care too, Thank you so much for calling folks. I'll be right back. Hey, welcome backs down love crocodile rot. All right, you're listening to the guard Line. We're here to help you have success in your gardens. You just give me a call seven one three two one two kt r H. We'll talk about the things that are of interest to you. All right. I believe I'm going back out here and visit again with Herda. Hey, herd, are you still there?
Speaker 2: Yes? I called back. My son Scott gave me a three gallon pot stage. Where is the best price to print? How much sun does it need? I think they take full sun, don't they?
Speaker 8: They do?
Speaker 1: Now, this is the herb sage that you're talking about, not the shrub sage, the bush.
Speaker 2: No, this is the bush.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay, yeah, they need full sun sage bushes. Does yours have sort of silvery leaves or are they mostly green?
Speaker 2: They're a silvery silver green.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, lots of lots of sun as much as you can give them, and make sure you get them. We say high and dry, meaning on a raised mound. So when it rains too much. Their roots aren't soggy wet, because they'd rather be in Uvality, Texas than Houston, Texas. So we've got to we've got to make sure that when you know, we just put them on a hy dry mound and they'll they'll be fine.
Speaker 12: They'll do well there, all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I grew up in Santonio and they did very well in Santonio. But it's much higher and drier.
Speaker 4: It is, it is.
Speaker 1: But even there, you know, you've got to give them good drainage. So yeah, it's a good plant, good plan.
Speaker 2: All right. Thank you.
Speaker 1: You know who gene Autry? Do you know who gene Autry is? Deep in the heart of Texas, Deep in the heart of Texas. A sage in blooms smells like perfume deep in the Absolutely it's a Texas plant for sure.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 1: Thanks, you have a good rest of you. Yes, ma'am, thank you for calling. Appreciate that. If you're up in the Magnolia direction from Tombole Spring Creek, feed your hometown, feed storage right their garden Parkway or Garden Parkway, you can tell him a gardener Grand Parkway and Highway to forty nine Spring Creek Feed is the place where you get the foundation stuff for your garden. I'm talking about fertilize like turf Star and microlife and nitrofoss if you've got pests and weeds and diseases to deal with, they carry their garden center stocked with a really good supply of all of those things. Now you're going to also find that any kind of lawn and garden and pond supplies. Maybe got a little pond, They're going to have all of that there. When you walk in, you're greeted like you should be greeted, and a good quality business, friendly, courteous staff. And if you need pet food, they have very high end lines of pet food as well there at Spring Creek Feed. Now, if you are a frequent buyer, they have a frequent buyer program on select brands of pet food, so that helps save a bit of money there on some of those brands. Let them know that you kind of are interested in that, and they'll tell you all about it. If you're a military or senior citizen, there are discounts available to you. They do special orders and they also have a delivery service all their Spring Creek Feed in Magnolia on FM twenty nine seventy eight, just minutes away from Parkway and Highway two forty nine. Let's head out to Cyprus now and we're going to visit with Susan this morning. Hello Susan, Welcome to garden line.
Speaker 3: Thanks Skip.
Speaker 7: How are you.
Speaker 1: Doing well? Thanks?
Speaker 3: Get you know the temperatures, yes, temperatures are in the nineties. Now is it too hot to spray a weed killer?
Speaker 11: Now?
Speaker 3: Will that hurt the grass with the high temperatures?
Speaker 1: So you're you're wanting to apply it in your lawn? Or are you using something to kill broad leaf weeds? Or are you using something to prevent weeds from sprouting from seed?
Speaker 3: I've already got the weeds, so I need a post emergent.
Speaker 1: Okay for many of the good post emergent weed killers. Once you get up in the upper eighties, even you can start to get stress on your Saint Augustine grass.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 8: There.
Speaker 1: The recommendation is to do your applications early in the morning orly as you can, so that they dry up before the sun is baking down and heating things up a lot. There is a specific weed killer called Celsius. Like the temperature Celsius that it can even be in the low nineties and it's okay, it's not going to hurt it. But whatever you use, do it first thing in the morning, just to give you that extra measure of safety.
Speaker 3: Okay, good, and then Celsius is okay to use them. Permuta grass.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is also label for your mutographs. It comes in little pockets that make one gallon of spray, but a gallon goes a long way if you're just spots spraying weeds here and there. You know, generally with weed killer like that, you don't spray your entire yard, every square foot of it. So I like the little one gallon things because you can mix them up, use it up, and then you're done.
Speaker 11: I'll do that.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Good luck with it. Thanks Susan. Appreciate your call. Take care. You are listening to Gardenline. I'm your host, Skip Richter and the phone number seven one three two one two ktr eight seven one three two one two ktrights. Hey, Medina products have so many options that gardeners have gone to for a long long time. I don't know. Back in the nineteen fifties, Medinas was going strong, and that's where you get things like Medina Soil Activator, which stimulates your biological activity in the soil. It's one of the just foundational products that Medina has. Then there's Medina Plus. Now with Medina Plus, you get not only just the Medina Soil activator, but they have increased some other They've added other things to the formula to increase the benefits of it. And so for example, you got micronutrients and you got seaweed extract in there, so you get all the natural soil building advantages while those extra ingredients make it even better for a folier feed for plants. Any country shrubs anything with leaves, even lawns. Seaweed extracts help plants achieve good growth. They help the yield on things that are producing fruit for you by enhancing natural product processes. So basically we're trying to help our plants against all the stresses that they're dealing with. Make sure they have the nutrients that they need. Well, try Medina Plus. It's available in a gallon, it's available in a cort. It's easy used. You got a plant that's struggling along, give it a folier feed and then put some in a watering can and just drench it into the soil really good and you'll get a double benefit from that makes it really really easy to apply. Another good quality product for the folks at Medina. Don't forget too. By the way, Medina has to Grow for lawns. It's a twelve four to eight formulation. Hooks up to a garden hose, Go over your whole lown and give it a good quick boost of energy. And I love their Souper Grow Plus. That's another lawn product that's almost all nitrogen and at zero phosphorus the middle number, which for a lawn is just fine. Most of our lawns have enough or more than enough phosphors. So Medina Supergrow Plus hooks up to a garden hose. And by the way, don't you know these products say they're for lawns, but they're good fertilizers. I'm funic over your vegetable garden. You need to get some okra growing, or tomatoes or peppers or whatever. Just just blast them with that. It'll give them a boost. You will see a difference. And just don't let the tomatoes and the okra seed that it says lawn on the fertilizer bottle and they'll think you're giving them something that's just for them. I'm telling you it works. You know, we complicate things sometimes, but hey, the plant just says I need nitrogen, I need phosphorus, I need potassium magnesium, and it lists out about twenty things that it wants and you give them that and they're happy. And Medina products will do that for you, especially the Supergrow Plus and the uh Medina Ashti Grow for lawns. You're listening to garden Line phone number seven one three two one two k t r H seven to one three two one two k.
Speaker 8: T r H.
Speaker 1: Have you been out to Nelson Water Gardens the nursery and water Gardens out in Katie, Texas For any of you that live west, you have got to go there. Nelson Water Gardens and Nursery. Are you drive to Katie turn north on Katie four Ben Road and it's just a little bit up on the right hand side. It is a destination garden center because of all the things they carry, but it also is a place for beautiful water features that just went. I'm warning you when you go in there, you're going to be oh, I got to do that in my yard. Oh, I want one of those in my yard. Oh, I got to do that in my ard. They'll come out and those set up water features for you. They'll create a I mean, if you want the whole nine yards, you know, like a rock waterfall, they'll build the whole thing and do it. Or maybe you just want one of those disappearing fountains, you know, a big tall urn glazed pottery that the water runs out the top and comes out the bottom. By the way, the birds will thank you for doing that. And beneficial in sex as well. They can sell you the products and tell you how to do it. If you want to put together yourself, they can do that either way. You go Nelson Water Gardens in Katie, Texas. So head out to Katie. Go north on Katie for it Ben and there you go. If you have not been out there before, go visit the website first, Nelsonwatergardens dot com. Check it out. You're going to see the beautiful pottery that they carry, just so many many different products. And maybe you're thinking, Okay, I can't put in a waterfall and all of that in my garden. Well, how about one of their little tabletop water features, something that bubbles along and it's a very attractive. You put it on a counter or a little table outside there and you're sitting here. H just go, just go and see it. You'll see what I'm talking about. By the way, take kids with you when you go and uh, tell the folks at Nelson say, hey, we'd like to feed the fish. I'll give you your kiddo a little handful of a fish food and then go back and feed the koi in the big back koy pond. They will love that. It is really really cool. And then you need to go home with koi.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we're coming up here on a break ron in the heights and Bill and Conro you're gonna be our first two up when we come back.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: When we get back here on Guardline, we'll visit with you about the things that you were interested in for the rest of you. Seven one three two one two k t r H is the number. Seven one three two one two k t r H. Give us a call. Let's help you have success with your gardening endeavors. And remember jazz because it's getting that outside. No reason to stop gardening. We got a lot of gardening left in us, all right, welcome back to the guard Line. Glad to have you with us. Nature's Way Resources. Someone was talking about those earlier. They use some Nature's Ray Resources. John Ferguson years ago created this company to help build soil the way nature does. That's what it's called. One reason it's called Nature's Way, and soil products were created that are now well known by name in the whole Greater Houston area, like or roase soil, like a leaf mold compost. Those were all born at Nature's Way Resources. John understood that in order to create better plant growth and productivity, more beautiful plants, you had to fix the soil first, the way nature does. Now sain Ian runs the place. It's same traditions, same quality products. You're going to find everything that you need to have success to create that foundation. By the way, if you want to go to the website, I would highly recommend it because it has been revamped. It's just really really helpful and informative. Nature'sway Resources dot Com Nature's Way Resources dot Com. They are still having their fungal based compost specials. They call it Fungal Friday, but on sale ever Friday, it's ten dollars off a bag forty pounds bag and twenty dollars off. If you want to get it by bulk so you can drive over there and pick it up. You can have them deliver it to you. You can go to many area garden centers that carry Nature's Way resources products by the bag. The main thing is just do it. I want you to raise your hand, you know, kind of like a Scouts pledge or whatever. What do they do, three fingers up in the air something. Raise your hand and repeat after me. I will not plant a plant a plant until I have prepared the soil. I swear that I will not plan a plant until I have prepared the soil. Boy, if everybody just did that, we would have so much fewer problems taking care of the soil. First is the secrets of access. It's a foundation. Let's head out now to the heights and we're going to visit with Ron this morning. Hello Ron, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 6: Hey, Skip, how you doing today?
Speaker 13: Listen, I'm calling.
Speaker 14: I've got two issues. Uh, front yard just got into this situation. We got a lot looks like culover clover is what.
Speaker 13: He's trying to say.
Speaker 14: And Uh, okay, I'm trying to decide if I want to if I want to just kill it and then resad or if I should try that Celsius idea well, and if I do just kill it, I was thinking about just weeding it right down to the surface and then putting sid over the top. Or is it going to grow back if I do that.
Speaker 1: If it really is clover, it won't grow back. That's an annual plant that should be dying out as the weather gets really hot. And that's my next question.
Speaker 13: If I send you, how do I send you a picture of it?
Speaker 1: All Right, at the end of our here, I'm gonna put you on hold and my producer will give you the email. Take show me the lawn with where I can see kind of them mount over all you got take a close up of it, and then pull a plant up and bring it inside, like if you got a real dark dining table or something, set it on there and take a really close, very well focused picture, because some of these plants are harder to distinguished. But there's something called Lesbodisa there, there's one called medic that are all clover like plants, and so I want to make sure that you with the right one. But if it's an annual. If it's an annual, you cover it up, and it's gone. It's going to die anyway. If it's a perennial, then covering it up just means you put your nuln in and now you got it back again.
Speaker 13: You don't want that, Okay, all right, next topic, backyard.
Speaker 6: Backyard.
Speaker 14: I resaw it a couple of years ago, and it's all dead again because of drainage and the dogs. Of course, so we build a fence to keep the dog problem off. So now I'm I'm like trying to decide if I can just supplement the soil to bring it up, or if I'm gonna need to put in drains and and how and that. So go ahead and answer that question first, and then my next question. I'm gonna let you go.
Speaker 1: All right, we go. We gotta do these quick then. Uh So, the bottom line is when it rains, you're seeing standing water for a period of time, yes, and like a few days or even longer.
Speaker 14: Uh No, just you know, you can see a line of where the where it sits for a while, but it does after a day, it goes away.
Speaker 1: Okay, probably, Okay, there, you could bring in a little bit of soil and level it out a little bit. Just remember when you bring in soil to deal with a wet spot, you just move the water somewhere else.
Speaker 7: So, yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: I mean, And so.
Speaker 1: Sometimes fixing a problem creates a problem. Uh if the internal drainage, if that's soil, is very tight, you know, the dog traffic, human traffic, then maybe a good aeration with some compost would be what you need. Yeah, the creating some creating some internal drainage. I can't make that call over the over the phone essentially with you, but those are your options. If you go with a loamy type of soil, not a heavy clay for to top dress over there and then replant, you could certainly do that, keep in the pity pattern of the four legged puppies away until it gets rooted in really well, and then trying to do what you can to keep them from wearing the pathways in it. All of that is good, so you don't have to do this a third.
Speaker 10: Time then later and just real quick.
Speaker 14: Anyway, I can tell if the front yard is lower than the backyard, is there some kind of trick or do I need a guy with a I forget the name of like to shoot the level Yeah, I can tell if I do.
Speaker 1: If you want, yeah, if you don't do it professionally, you have somebody come do that.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 1: And you know people like pierscapes they do drainage systems and whatnot like that and they can off I don't know if they for you. Okay, well, okay, here's here's the here. Here, here's a cheaper way to do it. You go to a place, you know, like a hardware type store, big box hardware kind of place. They have little levelers that you can attach to a tripod and they hang so that if the if the tripods crooked, the laser light hangs straight. You got to wait till the end of the day because these lasers aren't strong enough to see during the day when it's getting almost dark. And you can literally spin it around and you see a line on the wall. People use this to hang pictures on the wall straight and you turn it around the other way and wherever that line is will be at the exact same height because it's hanging, it's hanging level. So you just go, this is getting out of horticulture here. But if you go do that, I've used that to get a real rough check. But again you're going to have to do it at the time of day where you got a little bit of light but not too much and so run. You bet I got to run. You are are run? Take care all right, I'll take that as a compliment. Wild Birds Unlimited has the blends that you need for whatever birds you want to bring in, whatever kind of a bird you want to bring in. That would include things like, uh, the cardinals, that boy I've got. I've got a blend that is for cardinals that does so well. It's called Cardinal Confetti and it comes just from Wallbirds Unlimited. Right now is nesting season. We're talking about nesting super Blend all the time because it's the perfect blend for when birds are raising they're young, and again only available at wall Birds Unlimited. They sell seeds that are called no Mess if you want to go that route.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: For example, I've got a blend in and it's a quality blend. Birds you'd ever drop a seed, but it's got some sunflower shells in it, and the birds peck them open and then you got all these shells on the underneath the feeder. A no Mess blend comes already pre shelled. So if you want to go that route, they've got that at wild Bird's unlimited six stores, Cypress on Barker, Cypress, Houston on Memorial Drive, Houston in the West on bel Air Pearland on East Broadway, clear Like on El Dorado, and Kingwood on Kingwood Drive. The main thing is just go to your local store and see what they have. You can go to WBU dot com forward slash Houston to learn more. Take our next little break. Bill and Conrae, you are our first up. Thanks for being patient. Welcome back to garden Line. All right, we're first thing going to go out here and talk to Bill and Conroe. Bill, thank you for your patients. Welcome to garden Line. How can we help today?
Speaker 6: Good morning Skip.
Speaker 15: I have this say plants that I bought a few months ago and it's doing well and it's about a foot and a half fall now. And I noticed the other day and it's not on the outside of it, but inside with the branches are connected and all.
Speaker 6: What's there's this white stuff.
Speaker 7: It's kind of like I'm called sticky, but it's it's yeah, it's just growing in various different places where the branches are connected.
Speaker 1: So I once, okay, probably not go out and take your thumb and forefinger and grab some off of there and squeeze it and sort of slide I'm off to the side, and then look and if you've got kind of a pinkish goo on your fingers, that's media bugs. And I think that's what you're dealing with on there, probably now media bugs. Yes, Now, if you would like to send me a picture of it up close, I'll take a look at it, but you got to get as close as you can, and you may even pick a few off and put them on a dark piece of paper and then take a picture of it as close as you can, but very good sharp focus. I'll take a look and assess that for you. But if you just do that that squish test meat bugs will leave a sticky pink goo all over your fingers. And once you know it's that, then in this case, you you could use a systemic insecticide to go in the plant and kill them. It's drenched on the soil, it gets in the plumbing of the plant and they're sucking juices out of your plant. Or you can do some sprays of little horticultural oil applied to them. But that's pretty tedious because you're kind of trying to hit every angle. Because you only kill what you coat in the oil. It's a little more tedious to try to deal with that that way. A systemic what product, Yeah, insecticide use if it's systemic. Yeah, there's two or three different ingredients that are common in systemics. Acefate is one, in mid o cloakprid is another, probably a little more common. Dinotepheron is another, just depends on There are some rose products out there that contain several different things, and one of them, for the bug part of the rose problems is a systemic. But that's the root I would take on it. But again, if you want to be one hundred percent sure, I don't mind taking a look at a picture for you, just to confirm.
Speaker 15: All right, well, thank you, all right, all right, you.
Speaker 1: Bet I'm gonna put you on hold and if you if we're done, you can hang up. Otherwise my producer will pick up. Alrighty Warren Southern Gardens out there in Kingwood and Kingwood Garden Center out there in Kingwood, by the way, they the summer hours. They're open seven days a week, summer hours Monday through Saturday nine and Sunday ten to four. Monday through Saturday nine to four, Sunday ten to four. Warrens is on North Park. Kingwogarten Center is on Stone Hollow Drive. When you go to those places, you're going to see some redicuol stuff. They've got a new stock of plumerias. I was just looking at Warrens. The new stock of plumerias. All the jungle jack premium varieties are. They're ready to go for you. Plumeria, for those of you who don't know, is the Hawaiian lay flower. That's the flower that they make strings of flowers to go around as a necklace. Okay, you can grow those yourself. They're easy to grow, just follow some simple rules on it. They don't take a whole lot of pamper to keep them alive. Plumerius are available there. They are also having a little contest there with war on Warrens, where if you are interested, you can enter. What you do is you send them a picture featuring plants that you bought from Warrens. Whether it's a blooming flower and a flower bed, or a thriving vegetable garden, or the prettiest potted plant on your porch, and if they'll spotlight their favorites and every entry gets a chance to win fifty percent off any one item coupon. That kind of sounds fun, right, It's taking care of their customers, but of course they do that. That that's how Warren's and Kingwood Garden Center are fun places to visit. Easy, easy to get to. Warren Southern Gardens on North Park, Kingwood Garden Center on Stone Hollow Drive. Go buy there and have some fun. By the way, if you have Microlife, if you buy Microlife or new some plant food fertilizers, you can take those jugs back in if you buy them by the jug and you can refill them there ed Warren Southern Gardens and Kingwood Garden Center, and it's a more economical way to buy fertilizer. Plus you're not creating more plastic waste in the environment. I wish more things we bought were just we go in and refill that just it just makes sense. You're listening to garden Line phone number seven one three two one two KTR eight seven one three two one two k t r Hi's visiting with the folks at BnB Turf Pros the other day. BnB turf Pros is the place you hear me talk about all the time. They will come in at the family owned business of focusing on customer service. And you know everybody says they focus on customer service. Well go look at the ratings of places, do they really? BnB Pros Pros does BNDB turf Pros And here's the website bb no end in the website BB Turfpros dot com, Bbturfpros dot com. They do aeration, they do fertilization, they do compost, top dressing. They use quality stuff because they want to have a good, successful, ongoing relationship with you their customers. So that would mean things like using high quality materials from cnmols like cenmulches, top quality leaf mo composts. That's what they use. They only use products and companies I trust here on Guardenline. They do high quality work. And whether you live in sugar Land all the way across to the to the west or to the east and to the south down of Cross forty five, League City and Dickinson and then all down Highway six and Proland and friends would place, this is their region that they service there, so just give them a call. Seven one three two three four fifty five ninety eight. Seven one three two three four fifty five ninety eight. Now for your compost stop dressing and narration price to start around five hundred dollars depending on the yard size and the distance traveled. So it is a bulky process, a mess for you to try to do it yourself. But they come and they do a quality job on it. And I can think of no single thing that you do to your lawn that brings more response than cororation with compost stop dressing. Just an example, by the way, the other day, I have a little spot where I walk through my gate and that one spot just gets trampled. I tend to take different ads to that spot so I don't just have a pathway worn in my grass, but when I get to that spot, it always gets stepped on. And the grass was just thinning out. I mean I could see dirt all around through it because it was getting pounded to death by my feet. I had a little aerration plug thing that I just you know, made a bunch of holes in the soil, oh about you know, four inches apart or something like that. Did that area fee a little compost on the top. It is ninety five percent covered.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: It went for like fifty percent cover to ninety five percent covered in just two or three weeks. That is how important it is to break up that compaction and to do cororation and to do the compost stop dressing. And I really didn't put that much compost on it. It's primarily the aerration alone was doing that, but both combined it works. Bbturfpros dot com. Okay, do you know that they say the cobbler's kids go barefoot? Do you know what that means? It means the guy who makes shoes is making cheos for other people. He didn't end up making cheos for his own kids. If you were to see some of my garden areas, you might go, And why would I call garden line Seriously? I mean, if people talk about their gardens like you know, everything's always perfect, and you may be thinking, wow, this is a guy on the radio. I bet his place looks good. Well, it does look good, But I'm telling you there are times where I'm busy. I'm running around doing speaking engagements or consultations and other things, and I'm just not home taking care of my own lines. And I have to catch up on it. So when you hear me say something, just know that I'm saying it from experience, Okay, and the do as I say, not as I always do, is very applicable. But it also helps me. Like that compost out dress and comment I just made, you know, I should have taken care of that long ago. I know what to do, but I got in there, did it, learned a little bit about it as I do it. So anyway, there you go. All right? Well, and plus the fact that I said it's because I'm not there, it's also because I have two Golden retrievers and they retrieve plants. I wish they retrieved leads, but primarily my plants. Back to garden line, folks, what are your gardening questions? What do you want to talk about? What have you struggled with to find success in your garden. I want to make an important point. I've said this many times before, but for those of you who are hearing me for the first time, you don't have a brown thumb. No, you don't. I don't care how many plants you've killed, you don't have a brown thumb. A brown thumb is an uninformed thumb. So if you want to say I have an informed thumb, okay, I'll go with that. Maybe you do, maybe you don't. But people that seem to have a green thumb, they're just giving plants what they want. It's as simple as that. They know what a plant wants, they give it what it wants. And that's why it looks like they have a green thumb, because everything comes up roses. As they say, all you got to do is teach your thumb. Bring your thumb with you, sit down front the radio, let's talk, and as we get your thumb a little education. I don't care what you want to grow. You know, I tried to grow orchids, but I killed every one. I got a brown thumb. Well, let's bring your thumb. We're going to fix this. You can grow orkids. They're easiest. Nothing is easier as a plant probably, well, not many things to grow down am ofth orchid. You know, they just are easy to grow. Just give them what they want. That's as simple as it is. All right, I think you get the idea. Hey, if you're dealing with fire ants in your lawn, if you know chinchbugs, maybe last year they hammered your lawn. We're coming up on chinchbug season here for long well, bug Out Max granules by Nitrofoss that will do it. It will shut down the insect cretits crawling around in the lawn. Bug Out Max is available in many different places. You know night foss products are. For example, you go to place like a chenet forest, you go to ace Hardware, Sinkle ranch or auspose ace up. In the woodlands, you're going to find night fresh products like the bug Out Max Arbigate up and Tom will also carry some night foss products there as well. The main thing is don't be run out of your yard because fireans bite. There are ways to deal with them and bug out Max is a good way to do that. He's easy to do.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 1: Earlier on I was saying, hey, we need to talk about the gardening implements, the gardening tools rather that are at the end of our arms. And let's do that just for a little bit. First of all, if you look at your hand when you open it wide open, from the tip of one finger to the tip of your little finger to the tip of your tomb thum good night thumb thumb to little fingertips. Okay, that is a certain distance, and everybody's hands different. So I can't say everybody's hand is this way, but a lot of people's hands are going to come pretty close to six inches for that distance right there. Okay, it just depends on size your hand. If you look at the width of your thumb. Now, guys tend to out a little wider thumbs, but the width of a thumb is pretty close to an inch. But check yours. Put it down there with mine, af to mash it down just a little bit, and it's exactly an end. And you can measure with that. If you are going to plant, let's say, onions, we do that in January, maybe February, but primary January you put those in the ground. You want to plant them as deep as the first joint on your index finger. Okay, so you can't stick your thumb sideways down in the soil. But if you put your index finger down and down to the point where that first little joint, the first crease in your index finger, that is about how deep you plant onions sets when you're putting them out there to grow. You know your ballb onions, red, white, and yellow, different types of onions. That works really well for them. Learn what the width of your hand is. It depends on the size of your hand, but that is a certain number of inches. And you can just learn to measure everything that you're doing right there. Now, if you take your thumb and your forefinger and put them together. Whenever you have a bug that you want to get rid of, you put them between your thumb and your forefinger and you press really hard, and then you slide your thumb about a half inch to one side and the bug is gone. You got some cool goo on your finger now, But that's how you kill bugs, the thumb and forefinger slid to the side. Okay, y'all are going okay, now, come on, guy, give me a break. All right. No, but seriously, the tools of our hands, the ways that we can learn to measure. I mean, you can get pretty fast, you know, when something says, you know, plant these a foot apart. Well, I just put my two thumbs together and I stick out my two little pinkies and that's a foot apart for me. So learn how to measure those things. Those tools are very handy and they work really well, and it kind of makes it easy to know. I bet there's some others on there. Some of you may know some other ways that you use your hands for the measuring and whatnot. Get us a call. We'll listen to that too. Seven to one to three two one two ktr seven one three two one two kt r H Plants for All Seasons. Is the Garden Center. I'm sure you've been there before. It's on Tomboal Parkway, which is Highway two forty nine uh and just north of Luetta on Faces Tomboll Parkway. Okay, been around. Said's nineteen seventy three. Family owned and operated. These folks are true loan and garden experts. They know what they're doing. They can point you in the right direction.
Speaker 12: Right now.
Speaker 1: They've got some great curcumas. Kakuma is a type of ginger that the blooms are kind of set down in the big canna like foliage leaves. The leaves look sort of like cannas, and the blooms sit down in there. You can use them as cut flowers too. They're good for that, by the way, but it's just a nice way. You've got a real shady spot and you want to bring some cool color into it. There are so many breeders have come up with so many kinds of hidden ginger. Now you have colors from white and pink and even a greenish color with burgundy, and it's just lots of lots of good options there hidden gingers. Something that I don't talk about with plant roll seasons that I do want to mention is number one the pottery. Outstanding, gorgeous pottery. I got a couple of pots from there that I just love, and I usually tell gardeners, Hey, I know that pottery can get expensive, you know when you're buying a lot, but why not just invest in one pot a year at least do that, just one pot. It could be a big buck, be a small pot. By the way, bigger pots are better for our summer because they home more soil for a whole more water. Therefore you don't water as much, or your plants don't go and distress. They've got gorgeous pottery there. I love my pots from there. Also, they are tools. They have an excellent selection of all kinds of quality tools. Listen, don't buy cheap tools. Don't buy something because it's the cheapest tool. You can see, get a quality brand. Corona is an example of that, and they carry Corona there Corona's a quality brand, whether you're buying loppers or hand pruners. They have so many different kinds of hand pruners there, and Plants for all seasons, the little hand tools like a trial and whatnot, and pruning tools, pole pruners and others. Buy a quality tool and it'll be the last time you have to buy that tool because it lasts and lasts and lasts. And they got that at Plants for All Seasons. Okay, well, let's see where are we here. Once I start talking, I realize I'm probably running into a break which I have. We'll be right back seven to one three two one two KTRH. And when we come back, Chris and Alvin, you'll be our first s up. Hey, welcome back. Wellcome back, somebody left the gate open. We got a bunch of calls. We need to get to here. Nelson Plant Food has a product called Slow and Easy for your lawn, and the name describes it all slow and easy, simple, simple, You put it out, you do it now, and you don't fertilize again until fall. It lasts months, like four months or more. Now. The good thing about it Slow and Easy is it's got a great blend of nutrients, the blend that turf needs and takes up. So you're not contributing to an imbalance by using a fertilizer that's got a bad ratio of nutrients in it, and it it takes the night. Let me put this, It takes the nitrogen and it gives it out a little doses to your lawn. So even though you're putting it all now and I'm saying it's going to fertilize all the way to fall, the only way that can work without you having a mowmo mo because you put too much nitrogen on it one time, is for the fertilizer to be designed so it releases a little bit now and then it releases some more later, and some more later, and some more later, and that makes it easy. You put it down, you're done. You'll water it in. We get summer watering a lot in the summer, trying to keep our lawns alive, and that can leach out nutrients. But when you have a product like Slow and Easy, you're going to get that nice gradual release. You don't lose it all to the next gully washer rain. It prevents burn, it feeds so microbes. It enriches the soil, that's the bottom line. Also, it ascidivizes a little bit. It's got an acidifying characteristic in it that allows us to keep that pH from getting too high and which ties up nutrients. So you know your lawn has yellowing in it because the lack of phosp or iron availability, maybe high pH, maybe too much phosphorus. Well, with slow and easy, you hope work it in the other direction for a much beautiful, greener lawn. We're going to head out and out of Alvin and talk to Chris this morning. Hello Chris, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 10: Good morning.
Speaker 6: Skip.
Speaker 10: Have got a I think it is what's called a Mexican avocado. I planted it I probably around five years ago, i'd say. And when I first planted it, it didn't really well and had a bunch of blooms on and he tried to make fruit that first first time, and uh, I was excited. And then the squirrels, the squirrels, I think the squirrels got it all. My kids swore swore on their you know, oh that they didn't touch them. But after that the plant seemed to do good.
Speaker 13: We had a freeze.
Speaker 10: I protected it. Uh, and it did okay, but uh, it has been it's been beat up by one of my kids when they do the weed whacker. They he got carried away and uh probably well. Prior to that, one of the freeze freezes did get it. It died, but it came back and and it was looking really healthy. And then then we had another freeze and it it died and came back and then my son hit it with a whacker, a weed whacker, and like, okay, great, you know this poor thing has gotten going to make it well. It came back, it spreaday out new growth. I checked it last or took early this week, and the leaves are all brown and shriveled up. And I thought, oh now, and I would I've been watering it.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 10: It's in a it's in my front yard, which gets the house.
Speaker 13: Spaces of south.
Speaker 10: It gets full morning sun all the way to midday, and in the afternoon after about one o'clock it's shaded by trees from the west.
Speaker 1: So it's ok.
Speaker 8: It's not getting it.
Speaker 10: It's not getting hammered all day by the sun.
Speaker 6: But and I kept it water. We had some rain down.
Speaker 13: Here, which was good for it.
Speaker 10: And I kept looking at it, and it just like it went from green. It looked really great. It's really bad, just almost overnight. And I don't know if a bug got it or.
Speaker 1: Well, if it did that overnight, is something in the soil, probably, But okay, your plan has been through a lot. In fact, if it had the society, the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Plants, it would be reporting you right now. But seriously, it's been through all that. The weed whacker cuts away the outer flow them tissues all the way down, cuts away the cambium, and that alone can kill a plant, but more slowly it dies by starvation, is what the roots starve. But you know it's hard. I heard all you said, and all I know is just wait, see give it some more time. See if it sprouts. You may be better off just getting you a nice new plant, putting it in there, create a mulch bet around it, two feet out from the tree in all directions to keep the way both away. Yeah, that that is it's good for the tree. Trees like to grow with their roots in the forest floor, meaning rotting leaves and organic matter and melt and stuff. So keep the keep the grass away, keep the weeds away. You have much better growth on it. Uh, And then you know, just be ready when we have those real cold weathers, especially as as it's it's a young it's going to be a little more sensitive to cold than it gets a little bit older. But that would be my recommendation if you want to be patient and wait and see if it sprouts. It just sounds to me like it's just not going to be the if you want to eat avocados, I think i'd pull it and get a new tree and just get down with it. But if you want to give it a little time to wait and see, that's fine too. But just somehow stop the injury. Stop the injury.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's well. My son felt really bad. I said, Hey, I said, did you hit the tree with the wheat whacker? And I said, and he said, well, he said, oh yeah, I forgot to tell you there was some green lings. He said, was that the avocado? I said, yeah, it was it was the avocado.
Speaker 1: Well, you got a George Washington in the house, you know. He chopped down the cherry tree and he said, I cannot tell a lie. Hey, thanks thanks for the call, Chris. Good luck with it. I hope you can get back into the avocado business. You bet. I appreciate you call very much. If you were dealing with treees, Affordable Tree Service is the one I would tell you you got. You gotta give them a call. Affordable Tree Service knows how to take care of trees. This company has been around for decades. Martin Spoon Moore's company, Affordable Tree Service is a family business. You give them a call at seven one three, six nine nine twenty six sixty three. You're going to talk to Martin's mom. Tell her you heard about it on guardline. Because guardline customers are their priorities, so make sure and tell them that. But seven one three six nine nine two six six three. If you want to learn more about specific services they offer, you can go to a f F Tree Service dot com a f F Tree Service dot com. But you need to give them a call seven one three, six nine nine two six six three. If you need printing done, if you need deep root feeding, if you need uh maybe you're just consulting. You know, hey, we're going to do some you know, trenching or putting some foundation or maybe laying a driveway over part of this. Oh my gosh, call them first so they can advise you before you do serious damage to that tree. Pre construction care very very very important. Pest and disease control also done by Affordable Tree. They keep your trees healthy. And now's the time to get them get on their calendar because summer storm season is coming and you need trees that are properly to have the best chance of making it through the winds. That will be here. We're going to now head out to Tomball and talk to Mel. Hello, Mel, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 13: Hey, good morning. I'm a little late this morning. I got a question about I mean, he who is every year, you know, you trial the boys and stuff you put in there and try to chase them away. Yeah, they come right, any suggestions.
Speaker 1: They they yeah, they do come back. The There is a website, uh and it is see the name of it. It is hang on one second on get you to get you the right one here.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I believe it's uh Agrolife Learn. Let me let me check that and make sure Agrolife Learn dot com. Believe that's try and we're gonna find No, it's not dot com. It can't be dot com. It's University dot tam dot e du Just one second right, Sorry the delayer, but I want to get and other other people are gonna have the same question. Yeah, agrolife learned dot tmu dot e du. Go in there and type in the word moles m O l e s. It's applications and some for sale.
Speaker 13: But okay, I'm sorry, I didn't. I didn't catch life learned at where did you say?
Speaker 1: Not at? Just dot t dot t A m U dot e d u uh. There there is a there's a publication on moles and in that in that area you can also go there's a section. If you don't go by category, there's a section on you know, like wildlife resources. It's thirteen different different you say that, but anyway, get more information on it. Here's the bottom line though, the bottom line is you're gonna either trap them or poison them. One of the two poisons don't work very well on them. Traps do. There are traps to shoot spikes down in the ground. Basically, you find the run that they're doing. Find the run and if it's like okay, I think, you step on it and just mash the little rays soiled down and then come back the next day and check it. If it's pushed back up, that means that's an active run that the moles are going through. And so then you you push it down and you set that trap, and then when the mole comes back through there, it gets them. It's kind of gruesome, but that's the way you go about it, and you just need to set it in an active run. Good hardware stores, feed stores and places like that or are going to have traps or be able to tell you how to get one so that you can have success. I talk to call them out at D and Defeat see if they've got any mole traps out there. I bet they do. All right, that's west.
Speaker 13: I can handle the groove.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, well talk talk to them out at D and D feed twenty nine twenty is just three miles west of two forty nine. You may have been by there already.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, yeah several times.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Agre Life learn at tamu ed jucation at tam dot e u.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's not at it's not an email address, it's a website. So it's dot agrolife learned dot t a m U dot e edu. I need to check that again because I I haven't. I haven't looked at it in a while. Hopefully, I hope they still have that out there. If not, another Langrete university will. But uh, anyway, let me let me do this. Hold on, I'm going to hang up with you, but I'm put you on hold. My producer is going to get get give you an email. If you will email me, I will send you that publication as an attachment.
Speaker 13: That no sounds like a win appreciate.
Speaker 1: So just hang on, mil you bet, hang on, We'll be back.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: D and DE Feed and Supply isn't up there in Tambol, and they've they've got everything you need. I mean, you know you're looking for quality dog food and things, very high end lines that they carry. But when it comes to the garden products from nitrofoss and Microlife, Nelson turf Star products from Medina, the jars of Nelson plant food, the jars and microlife products from heirloom soils to have good, good quality soils. They've got it all there at D and D Feed and Tomball, three miles west of two forty nine on twenty nine twenty. If you want to get McCall two eight one three five one seventy one forty four, two eight one three five one seventy one forty four. Let's go now to Marie and Montgomery. Hey Marie, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 13: Good morning, Skip, Skip.
Speaker 16: I'll be treating my lawn with the nitro falls dugout next, which has the pip pantherm. So my question is this, Can I treat my poor grubs in my flower beds with it? Or should I use their grub out their grub X rather, which has a different acted ingredient.
Speaker 1: That is a good question. I do not have a bugout Max label in front of me, but it's going to be up to what the label says. The label tells you how much product do you use, when to apply it, and where you can apply it. If you're going to do that. It just s has lawn and garden. So I'm going to assume you can use it in flower beds, but would check the label to be sure. I would say I'm seventy five percent sure you could use it in the beds, but I'm not the law that labels the law.
Speaker 16: Okay, I understand, Okay, thank you.
Speaker 1: So the next time, yeah, you're out there, Montgomery, I know Ana plants out there just outside Montgomery. They're going to have it. There is a good hardware store out there in the Montgomery area, Ace Hardware Store, h and they're going to probably have it too. And you can just go in, flip it over, read it for you, buy it, and bring it home. Okay, thank you, all right, thank you? Goodbye? Yeah it is it is uh bye bye. It is true. The label is the law. And you know, people I used to as an extension agent, I got calls like, hey, I just sprayed ortheene on my tomatoes. Can I eat them?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: I mean, can you eat them? Yes? Should you? I don't know, Probably not, because it's not on the label to do that. And I can't give you permission to eat something that's been you know, had something sprayed on it. Shouldn't be shouldn't be sprayed on labels a law. I wish people would read the label. But you know how we are, especially us guys, yep, I know I'm throwing myself under the bus. We don't like to add, we don't like to ask for directions or read directions. And we are very very sure that if a teaspoon is good, a tablespoon is better. And that is wrong, wrong, wrong. A lot of kinds of products, including herbicides. You used too much. You hurt your lawn or you hurt whatever plants your spring. All right, folks, we'll be right back. Hey, welcome back to garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Ricker. Good to have you with us today. We got all kinds of good things to talk about. And I almost start talking about speaking of good things in Chanty Gardens down in Richmond, on the Katie Fullshire side of Richmond. As a matter of fact, they're out there on FM three fifty nine now the website. I want to write this one down because it is very informative, very helpful, lots of good information. Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. They've got all kinds. By the way, today out in Chanted Gardens they have an event. Oh gosh, what is the one. It's I just went blank. I was just about to tell you, Oh, ferry gardening, fairy gardening. What does that mean? Well, it means creating these little miniature gardens as if it were a bunch of little tiny fairies that created a garden. You can do them around the base of your trees. That's a great place to do them, but you can do them in a container or anywhere you have little figurines you use. You use little plants that are very small, like maybe a moss to be the equivalent of a lawn. You get the idea. Well, today, starting at ten pm the minute I quit talking, they're going to kick off there at Enchanted Gardens FM three point fifty nine richarmd n Rosenberg, Katie Fullshire, side of Richmond. They're going to start that program and they'll be rolling on it and then there's another one coming up. I'm will tell you this ahead of time so you can plan for it. Pots for your patio or pool pots for your patio or a pool. That is next Saturday, June fourteenth, from ten to two. This is a significant program here. And let me tell you something. If anybody knows how to create beautiful containers, it's the folks at in chan Did Gardens. Maria does excellent work for them there. You see her work all the time if you follow them on social media. But you want to create a hanging basket, you want to create a container, you want to do one of these metal It's not wire, it's thicker than wire, but metal racks that then you line with a burlap or coconut core liners or something, fill it with soil, and then plant in it. They can tell you how to do it and hands on. You get to do it yourself. You get to choose your container and your plants and then you can plant one of those containers and Maria is going to be guiding you doing that. They'll help you with the selection you like. Maybe you go, well, this is for sun or maybe this is for shade, or it works. Now the cost varies depending on what you select. You know the size of the container and the type of container. But just give them a call. Two eight one three four one twelve oh six two eight one three four one twelve oh six. Now while you're out there, you hear me talk all the time about every kind of plant that they have so many cool plants at enchanted gardens, and so many cool products to go with your plants, from fertilizers to containers to landscape bling. We'll just call it landscape bling. This is the place to go. You need to sign up for that one next week. That's really really good. I love going out there too. It's a fun place to visit. Always find some good stuff at Chanted Gardens. Still someone earlier they need to go to their local Ace Hardware store and find stuff. Well, it is true. Ace Hardware is the place to go for you name it.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: I know you probably grew up in the hardware stores where you buy wire and plumbing stuff and lighting and switches and paint and things like that. ACE has all of that, but it's so much more than your father's hardware store. This is a place where you're going to find the best selection of quality brands of barbecue pits anywhere. Brands like Big Green Egg and Trager and Rectech and Weber and you fell in the blink. All the supplies you need for them, they're there at Ace Hardware Stores. That's just an example of what Ace Hardware stores can do. Ace Hardware stores also is a place where you're going to find everything you need to take care of your home. You know, you got to change out your air filters. You got to maybe get some propane tanks for your for your cooking. If you have a gas grilled, you need to preserve that deck and take care of the deck. You need fertilizers for your lawn. You need pest and weed and disease control. You need gardening tools, or maybe you know you're a do it yourself and they have quality hand tools to fit your budget. You know, we're talking about the ACE brand themselves. Stuff from Milwaukee, Stanley, Craftsman, de Walt. They've got it all there at ACE Hardware store. When you're in there to ask them about joining the ACE Rewards program. It's free and easy, or you can go online and do it. ACE Hardware Rewards customers get discounts and special offers. It's you got it. You just need to sign up and then you're shopping Pace. It pays to shop at ACE Hardware storre as a result, Ace Hardware Texas dot com. Acehardware Texas dot Com. That's what you need to know. Let's go out to Lake Jackson. Now we're going to talk to Lonnie. Hello Lonnie, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Hi.
Speaker 6: How you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm good here? How can we help? Okay?
Speaker 17: Yes, sir, I'm bought a little blueberry bush and it's completely taken over and by some type of whatever.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 17: I sent you a picture of it and I wanted you to look at it. And first of all, see if it's something that I can put on it to save it, and then should I move it away from other plants afford spreads?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Okay, well, my best guess is those were tiny caterpillars. So get in there. I don't know you'll find it anyhow, because all the leaves are gone. But get in there and open that up a little bit and look for little tiny caterpillars. And if that ever start, it should relief. It should have enough energy to relief. But begin to spray it with either spin no said s P I N O S A D the word spin, the letter oh, the word sad, or something containing B T B as in boy teas and tom. But you don't at this point, there's no nothing to spray. It's it's they're done. But next time you start to see a little bit of this, hit it with that. Those are both organic, They kill caterpillars. They work very well. There are also products that contain well that those two alone will be enough. You just have to do, especially in the regular basis about every three days, as long as it contains the BT. It's what I mean, yes BT, or I want to spindocit either one of those. Okay, one other question.
Speaker 17: We were putting in a pool, and when this is all the destruction is all done, we want to replant some trees and this and that in the yard.
Speaker 1: Uh it do you get questions answered?
Speaker 17: Do we just need to call in or do you have a website you can send email a question about I want to.
Speaker 1: Put in a lime train? I want to put it? I don't have yeah, right, I can't do the I can't do the email things. I just have too much to cover on that to be able to go into the time involved. But if you can email me pictures and questions and then follow up with a phone call, uh, and then then we would be ready to go, just like you did on this one right here, that's probably the best way to go about that. My website is gardening with skip dot com Gardening with skip dot com, and there are publications that answer questions on there. Okay, hey, Rick, I got to run or Lani, excuse me?
Speaker 17: Do you know anybody like Jack I don't recommend okay, uh for for what we're recommend for?
Speaker 1: What for these questions? Like an arborist, like these type of questions, I would well you could yeah, you could call your county agrolife Extension office down there. There's an agent. Uh what county is Lake Jackson in Brazilia. Okay, Yeah, you've got a horticulturist in your office right there in Brazoria County, so you're lucky. Uh, not just agriculture, but also a horticulture. Just give them a call, talk to either her or the master gardeners and they can get you fixed up. Okay, Well, thank you for your help. All right, yes, sir, thanks a lot. Appreciate that.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 1: Moss Nursery Done in Seabrook, Texas is a place you go for you fill in the blank. Eight acres cram full of gargious plants, beautiful blooms everywhere. I don't care if it's going to be one hundred degrees in a month or so. They've got plants that can take it, that thrive in that. They have people that work there that are friendly, that are helpful, that can put you and the right plant together so you can both be happy when you get home. Moss Nursery isn't just another garden center. It's a seventy year old family operated nursery. That garden center that just is the source for everything that you're looking for. That includes shrubs, that includes trees, that includes some of the best selection of pottery you're going to ever see anywhere. Mainly, it's people that can help you have success. If you are looking for some beautiful house plants, go check out that greenhouse. It is unbelievable. Love going to Moss Nursery, Seabrook, Texas, Toddville Road by the way two eight one four seven four twenty four eighty eight. Two eight one four seven four twenty four eighty eight. I'm going to take a break. We'll come back and and Montgomery you'll be our first stop. Hey, welcome back to garden Line. Good have you with us. We're going to run right off the phones here and talk to Rick in Montgomery. Hello, Rick, and welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 15: Good morning.
Speaker 1: My wife and I body.
Speaker 17: We bought a Chicago hardy.
Speaker 18: Sting from a reputable place in time Ball and we have not planted. We haven't transplanted it yet, but we just recently discovered the leaves are starting. This is starting from the ground up, so the bottom leaves first, they're starting to yellow and they also have some like brown spots.
Speaker 1: All around them.
Speaker 6: It's starting to creep up up the tree. We've been water it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it could have had a time where it went without water for a little bit, even in the process of you know, you getting home and whatnot, had a little bit of a drought stress. It could also, you know, figs, as new growth comes on, sometimes leaves are cast off, especially in stresses. But they can be cast off, and so as you're describing it, it may not be a problem, but there is a disease called fig rust and that is everywhere, and it's in the air, and when we have wet conditions on the leaves, you tend to get rust infestations that cause brown spots and yellowing and defiliation of the spot of the leaves that have that on them. There's not a great rust control product for the home gardener. There just isn't, and that's label for figs. Sulfur sprays can help suppress it a little bit, but you have to be careful using sulfur when it's really very hot. I would spray that sulfur maybe very very early in the morning on the foliage. If you do go that route. You can go online and do a little web search for fig rust and look at the images. Whenever you do that, a lot of the images are something else. That's just how it is out there that as you look at all of them, you kind of go, Okay, this is pretty clearly what they're talking about here, and see if that's what you see. And if it is, then then again a wettable sulfur or a liquid sulfur type spray, following the label, but being very careful not to do it when the sun is hot baking down on the foliage. Okay, it does look like you may want to test it, Yeah, right, Well, if it and if it's a rust, at some point the spores get released. And if you take your thumb and rub it off the bottom of the leaf, not the top, but the bottom, you'll see a rusty little dust on your thumb. Good, that's the spores coming off of it.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'll do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, where should I?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: Good luck and as much sun as you can give it, decent drainage. You know, I wouldn't put it in a swamp, but decent drainage. Figs are tolerant of clay soil. They're tolerant of pretty wet soils. But if it just is too heavy of a clay, and it stays too wet. You're not going to get good rooting depth from your figs.
Speaker 11: That's pretty sandy up here in Montgomery.
Speaker 1: Oh you're good to go then. Yeah. Now, one other thing is in sandy soils, figs can get nematodes. That's just nothing you can do about that. It just is what it is. So mix as much compost as you can into the soil and continue to keep that thing mulched in a big, wide area so that there's always decomposing organic matter, a big thick layer of that on top of the soil, and now will help your fig to thrive. Also.
Speaker 7: Okay, well, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. Okay, sir, good luck with that. I enjoy your figs now. I always say on guarden line, I don't charge you for my advice, but I do ask you to bring me half the figs. That's all. That's all I'm asking. Sounds reasonable to me. Thanks a lot, man, appreciate you. All right, there we go. Yeah. Microlife fertilizers come in many forms. There's the granular forms of course. You know about the green bag, that's the lawn fertilizer sixty four, which by the way, is good for anything. They have forms for acidic kind of a pinkish red bag for acidic loving plants. They've got just a wide variety of options out there. I want to talk to about some of the liquids. Microlife Biomatrix is the orange labeled liquid you can buy by the quirt, you can buy by the gallon, and it is an extra boost of nitrogen. So I use it a lot on houseplants because it's got that extra nitrogen boost in it, but it's also wonderful to use outdoors. And then there's a Microlife Ocean Harvest, which is a blue label, okay blue label. That's a four two three organic fish based fertilizer. Has a little bit of fish odor, so use that one outdoors rather than in the house. But it is an organic product that works really well. Neither one of them is going to burn. You use them properly and they will give you good plant results. Okay. Microlife fertilizers, you can go to microlifefertilizer dot com find out about all the other fertilizers for microlife, and there are a number of them, including things that are supplements of microbes, including things that have other growth promoting factors in them, not just packs of nutrients, but a lot of other good things in them. That's what you find at microlifefertilizer dot com. You're listening to Gardenline. We're coming close to the end here. If you would like to be one of the first calls when we come back from this break. By the way, we're about to enter when we come back our last hour of the show. So if you want to be not have to wait in a long line, maybe called before so that our producer can have you ready to go when I do come back. By the way that I said, you can get Microlife fertilizer a lot of places. One place you can get it is Southwest Fertilizer. That's no news because Southwest Fertilizer carries everything. They carry products from Microlife and Nelson's and from Medina, from Nitrophoss. They have their own brands of product fertilizers as well. They're going to have any kind of tool you can imagine, and it's going to be an equality brand, a quality brand that's going to work. The tool wall is ninety feet long. Okay, does that tell you something. Can you imagine how many tools you can get in ninety foot long wall of tools When you go in there, you can bring them a sample, you can bring them a picture, and you can say, hey, guys, take a look at this, what is it? What do I do? And if it's a problem, they'll tent'ify it. They'll tell you here's some options. And there won't just be one, there'll be a number of them there. I sent somebody to Southwest the other day who had a problem with re sprouting. They had dug up a crape myrtle and gotten rid of it, and then the roots sprouted, and they wonder how to get rid of that, And I said, well, goes out of this fertilizer. Here's what you need. I have a plant that is suckering a lot crape myrtles, see that too, And there's a different product that you can put on when you remove the sucker, the little shoot coming up from the bottom you don't want. You just put that on the spot and it stops the suckering, It shuts it down, works really well. You're going to get it where Southwest fertilizer. Do Do you need the name of it? No, you don't because here's why. You go and you talk to Bob or one of the staff and you say, hey, Skip said, there's something that stops suckers from coming out of the bottom. They'll walk your right to it. Skip said, there's something that kills a plant, the tree sprouting that you want to get rid of. They'll walk your right to it. They know what they're talking about. Southwest Fertilizer dot Com corner Busin and Renwick. Simple as that. All right, time for a little break here. We will take the news break right now, and when we come back, we will be back for your questions again. If you want to get a little head start and now it'd be a good time. Just give a call, get on hold, get your business done while you're waiting seven one three two one two k t RH we'll be back with your questions. Remember my website Gardening with Skip dot com. If you go there, there's a thing called controlling woody weeds in the landscape. What is a woody weed. It's poison ivy, it's pepper vine. It's those hackberries coming up along the fence line because the birds poop the seeds out right there. It's that cramberle. You dug up and now it's coming up again, but you don't want it there. The roots are sprouting, controlling woody weeds in the landscape. It's free. It tells you how to do it. It works, it's easy to there's one on nutsedge. You ever had nutsedge? People call it nut grass. I've got a publication called nutsedge and end out the book. If you read it and if you follow it, you can get rid of nutsedge, definitely. I did it all last year and to a bed full of nutsedge. And this year I had like three nutsedge nuts. It popped up in spring. Everything else is gone. And guess what I did. I jumped on them, as they say, like a duck on a junebug. Because you give nuts edge a few weeks to grow and set nuts underground. And not only do you have a worst problem, you have like an eight times worst problem, because that is the nature of that evil beast. That's it. But my publication tells you how to deal with it. Gardeningwidth skip dot com. All right, we're back, sud Welcome to garden Line. Good to have you with us today. Love to visit with you about the things that are of interest to you if you'd like to give me call seven one three two one two k t r H Arctic Insulation Solutions Boys there ever, if there ever was a timely time to call them, now is that we are going into summer and your electric bills go up in summer, as do mine, right, I mean, it heats up and it gets brutal. Have you ever been in your attic on a summer day. I mean it's like one hundred and fifty I've seen it one hundred and sixty even in an attic on a summer It's crazy how hot it gets. What happens to that heat? It's radiating everywhere, including into the ceiling of your house. And if you've got maybe where the registers are the low events that come out of the ceiling for your ac or maybe where a ceiling fan or a light fixture attaches, there's a gap there and that hot air can get down into your living space. And I mean it's like leaving a window open.
Speaker 12: It really is.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you've got one hundred and sixty degree air, it's able to leak down into your house or radiate down into your house. It's like leaving a window open. Arctic Insulation Solutions can make your home more comfortable by helping your AC system keep up with the thermostat. Have you ever had a day where you set the thermostat and you said, I want it to be I don't know, seventy five degrees or something, and your thermostat or your air conditioner ran all day and it never got down to that. Well, that's costing you money and it's not comfortable to sit in a house. It's hotter than you want it to be. Arctic Insulation Solutions is one stop shop for your customized insulation need. Do you need a radiant barrier up in the attic reflects ninety seven percent of the heat away from the attic, keeps it about thirty degrees cooler to do that? Do you need fiberglass insulation blown up? I like the kind that blows up. They blow it out up in there. It's costs less and it really does work our value of thirty eight up of your ceiling there. They can do that. I mean, if it's just a matter of getting up there and blowing a little fiberglass in to get that level up to where it needs to be, then to do that in a few hours. It's easy to do. Now, maybe you need a solar attic fan. What is that? Well, it is a fan that blows air out of the attic, out of the attic to the outside whenever the temperatures get above eighty five degrees or above seventy five percent humidity. Because also you don't want it wet up there or humid up there you get mold. That fan comes on and blows fifteen hundred cubic feet per minute of air and it keeps that attic belie ventilated. These are just a few of the things they do. Then go ahead and remove all the old insulation. They can spray to kill any mold, you know, kind of Disin fact, I guess if you will up there, make sure the air quality is as good as it can be, and then do that thing I was just talking about initially. That's sealing all those holes, all those little gaps, low tiny gaps. If you ever replaced the ceiling fan, you've seen what I'm talking about. Those gaps. They seal them up. It's all part of a insallation, removal and just the cleanup of the attic process. All right, so I'm talking about them, How do you call them eight three two five eight six twenty eight ninety three. Eight three two five eight six twenty eight ninety three. Arctic Houston dot Com. All right, the companies artic Insallation Solutions. But the website is Arctic a R C TIC. If you're like me, you did not spell that a RC. I always forget that first C. Arctic Houston dot com. That's how you get there. Eight three to two five eight six twenty eight ninety three. Give them a call and let them come out and give you an estimate on what you need. They cover all the way from Berkshire all the way to Baytown, if you all the way up to Willis and down to Galveston. I'm in the whole area here, Arctic Insulation Solutions. Let that out the league city. Now we're going to visit with Glenn. Hello Glenn, and welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 8: Hello.
Speaker 19: I need to take you off of speakerphones, so I don't have the background. You can't hear any reverb, can you.
Speaker 8: Not?
Speaker 1: Currently? Okay?
Speaker 13: Great, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 19: I currently use your schedule and I'm using the pre emergent. I use that the number of times per year that you recommend and I don't know if the weeds are becoming tolerant to it, but it doesn't seem to be working anymore.
Speaker 1: Okay, what kind of weeds you you seeing that escape the last pre emergent you put down, do you know?
Speaker 19: Yeah, there's ones with and uncolored blandch so bear with the area the purple or blue little flowers. And then there's another one that if you touch it it curls up. The leaves actually curl up. And then there's some broad broad leaves as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, all right, so what's probably happening. Some of those weeds are perennial weeds, and so pre emergents don't stop the weed from coming up. It's already existing and died back and now it's coming back again. They just stopped the seeds from creating new weed plants. So that's one thing. Pre emergence don't last. They don't last forever. And so you know, if you do them in like our first pre emergence in February, mid February in your area for sure, maybe early February down in League City, and by the time we get sixty days or more in, they're breaking down and weeds can begin to germinate on that, so that's another possibility. Yes, resistance is possible, but not that common. There are a few weeds like annual bluegrass, we do have some resistance issues with, but I think primarily what we're looking at is perennials coming back through. The one that you touch the leaves and they curl up is almost a woody little weed. The vines are thin, but they're very woody with little claws on them, And that one you have to use a post emergent that's pretty powerful on. Some of the products that will control it will hurt your lawn. So I usually tell people to pull that up. Just lift the runners up out of the lawn, lay a piece of cardboard or something under them, and just spray the runner with a certain product containing triclope here. Just on that runner, let it dry, and then you pull the cardboard out. But I'm just saying that's the way to kill it without killing the grass. Some of the others, the one with blue flowers, it could be something called dove weed, bluish purple flowers. There's one with blue flowers called dayflower that is also not going to respond even to good broad leaf herbicides. So maybe what you would do, Glenn is let me put you on hold, and I'm gonna let my producer give you the email, and if you would email photos maybe some of this you're still having problems with something, send me a picture because then I can tell you that weed what you need to do, you know, right, I appreciate that approach. There's not a shotgun. Not a shotgun answered all these weeds, okay.
Speaker 19: Sure, And I didn't know that before, so I appreciate the education with that. I'm also using your recommended pre emerchant or post emergant to spray, and the spray works really good.
Speaker 13: It kills a week.
Speaker 19: I could actually see some of the week starting to die that same day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, good, well, and even with the sprice you know there, Like I said about that sensitive brier, the one that folds up when you touch it, the stuff that works on all your other broad leaves may not work on that because it's a little different kind of weeds. So yeah, send me pictures. In that way I can give you a better answer. But I do ask send the pictures prior to making the phone call so we can visit about our online because other people are gonna have the same questions and I'm just not able to type out answers to all the emails.
Speaker 19: Okay, I understand, so I'll stand by. I appreciate your help. Have a nice weekend, all right.
Speaker 1: I'm putting you in hold on alle Hundro pickup right now, RCW Garden Center, RCW Nurseres right there where Beltwegh eight and tom Ball Parkway come together. That is the get it, got it nursery. First of all, they probably have it when you go by to get it. But if they don't have something, they do their best job to find it and bring it in. So that just kind of makes it a nice full service deal. You can shrubs and trees and woody vines and things from them, like roses for example being another example. Uh, they'll come out and they'll plant trees for you if they're you know, those are big containers. You don't want to break your back or put your chiropractice kids through college. Let RCW come out and plant it the right way. They know how to do it. They grow their own trees. What they sell grows here. That's the bottom line. They're not going to sell you a blue spruce tree to put in Houston. They're going to sell you something that grows here. While you're there, you're gonna find Nitrovoss fertilizer, Microlife fertilizer, uh Nelson turf Star lines a fertilizer there at RCW. And whether you're looking for beautiful bougainvillias, whether you're looking for gorgeous cajun hibiscus tropical hibiscus, they've got it. RCW Nurseries dot Com, corner of Tambaugh Parkway and Beltway eight. Okay, I believe I'm way overdue here on going to a break Carney. Well, let's just do that. All right, we're back. Welcome back to garden Line. Good to have you with us. Hey, here's a number you'll need this one. Got a gardening question seven one three two one two K t R H. And I can only do gardening questions. I had a one time I got when I was a county extension agent. I went to a yard and I there was a lady and her husband. They're both there, husband and wife. And when I got there, I was there. I thought to assess a problem, and uh, one of them crossed their arms and said to me, will you tell I'll let you decide whether it was him or her that this is such and such. And I realized I just walked into a marital argument. I thought it was horticultural, it was marital instead, And so I told him, I said, my horticulture advice is free. Marriage's advice is three hundred dollars an hour. So which which way do we want to go here today? Anyway? They laughed thankfully. I'm so upset. Same thing here on garden Line, we do give free horticulture advice. Let's got to Lake City. We're going to talk to John this morning. Hey John, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 20: Good morning, thanks for taking my call. Just a quick question you best Saint Augustine lawn. My Saint Augustine is looking really great. But I have not put on any any fund to side this year. I missed it earlier this year, and I have noticed just slightly a little yellowing patches, and I'm wondering, is it too late to put down the fund to side or could it be something else?
Speaker 1: Possibly a good point, good question, John, So we're gonna here's what I'd like you to do, because I don't like to recommend pesticides of any type if they're not needed. If you go out to your lawn, get on your hands and knees and look real carefully where you see the yellowing foliage. Notice if it's yellow in stripes, and that may mean picking a grass blade and holding it up the light and seeing the green and yellow vertical parallel to the grass blade stripes, that's iron deficiency. If it's just splotches of yellow, there may be something else going on in that leaf. And gray leaf spot has been a problem this late spring and early summer because it likes warm temperatures and it likes lots of moisture. But there you'll see spots on the leaves that are grayish but they have a purple border around them. But then when there's spots are there, the leaf starts to die out and you get yellowing to go with those spots. So if you see the gray leaf spot, yes, it would be a good time to put out your eagle turf fungicide from night Foss for that.
Speaker 6: But you need to.
Speaker 1: Remember that the more often you water, the worse fungal diseases are going to be. So put this, you can put the same amount of water on over a week, but just try to get it on in a good soaking rather than a bunch of squirts that keep the grass sweat all the time. So that would be that if you see the iron deficiency stripes, the yellow stripes, then I would say probably either a supplemental keylated iron and keylated as h E g. Related is like it looks like how you would say it keylated, uh, and you could apply that. Or it may be that your pH is high and your phosphorus is high and only a swew test could tell you that. Okay.
Speaker 20: Yeah, And the reason I'm suspicious I had a bad problem last year with with brown patch and it's all gone now, But just wondering if past performance is you know, a sign of problems in the future. If that's an issue, then I should worry.
Speaker 1: I'm sertain that I didn't catch that. Okay, yeah, So if either one, it could be diseases. But with the diseases at this time of the year, there's diseases that you would have. One is take a root rot, which just in large areas, the grass looks like it needs watering, It shrivels and it dies very irregular. I said large. I meant to say irregular it could be a small area, but it grows and bigger and bigger in time. But that's an underground problem or grating spot on top of the ground. The dot, the spots on the grass plades. Those are the only two fungus issues you're dealing with right now. Okay, okay, and thank you very much, thank you, you bet appreciate your call very much. You take care U. League City Feed is down in guess where League City. In fact, if you're down in that area, maybe you live in Santa Fe or Dickinson or Elkamino, Reale, Clare, Lake City, Webster Baycliffe, Lamark, San Leone, Dickinson, that whole area through there that this is your hometown feed store. And if you go over to Lake City on Highway three, just a few blocks south of Highway Nay is League City Feeds on the east sides on the Bay side of the of the highway there. When you go in, you're going to find a feed source. Been around for for forty years now. The third generation of Thunderbergs are running the store. League City Feed open Monday through Saturday, nine to six, closed on Sunday. If you need fertilizers that I talk about here on garden line, like Microlife and nitrofoss for example, Nelson plant Foods. Products you know from the Medina, the folks a MEDEENI you're going to find them there. League City Feed. You're going to find that old time service where they still carry the bags out for you, and you're going to find anything you need to control pest, swedes and diseases. They keep a good supply on hand, so whatever you're going after to make your lawn and garden more beautiful and more bountiful, League City Feed's got you covered again. They're on Highway three, a few blocks south of ninety six. Here's a number two eight one three three to two sixteen twelve. We're going to go to Pearland now and talk to Henry.
Speaker 6: Hello, Henry, Good morning, Skiff. I had a question for you on some groundcover jasmine that I planted. I've got basically three areas. They all receive the same water, same sun. Two of those were successful in taking but one of them. I fought the weeds for the longest time, and I thought that the jasmine had kind of got to a point where it was going to overtake the weeds. You know how I will do that, but I just lost control of the weeds. And you can still see the jasmine down in the This may require a picture. If it does, just let me know. You can still see the jasmine. But the weeds are so plentiful that I'm afraid to continue to pull out the weeds because now I'm pulling out the jasmine? Is there anything that I can put down?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So are the weeds grassy or are they broadly weeds? They're grassy all the above? Oh, grassy? Okay, good, good, good?
Speaker 6: Primarily Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you go to my website, which is gardening with Skip dot com. I don't know if you've ever been there, but if not, you need to go Gardening of Skip dot com. And when you get there, there's a publication under my publication list, and it's called Herbicides to use with Skip's weed wiper. Okay. Now, when you're going into something like jasmine, and maybe you're using something that would hurt the jasmine, well, with the weed wiper, you can wipe it right on. There's a there's another publication telling you how to build one. In this case, you don't need the weed wiper, but you still need that publication.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: It goes down and divides the weeds into groups. The woody weeds like BlackBerry and poison ivy and tree seedlings and stuff, the grassyweeds, the broadleaf weed. It's something that kills both grasses and broad leaves, wild onion, wild garlic, and nuts. It each of those has its own herbicide for grasses only. There's two products there. And I won't say out the chemical name on the air. I mean, I have to spell the whole thing. That gets kind of boring on the air. But there's two products, different ingredients. Both of them kill grasses but don't hurt broad leaves. In fact, one of them is called over the top grass killer. Just as an example, you just spray it right over the top. Jasmine's fine kills the grass.
Speaker 6: Okay, great, and I think there's.
Speaker 1: Probably yeah, I think I have like six or seven different products that have those two in them, or one of them. You don't need both either one or the other.
Speaker 6: That's that's great. Out. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Have a good day, all right, sir, Thanks for the call, you bet, you bet appreciate that very much. It's not difficult if you just kind of know what you're going after. And for those of you here are kind of wondering, what do you mean broad leaf and grassy, Well, there's for the most part, there's three types of weeds we deal with. One is broad leaf, which means the leaves are broader and the veins on the leaves go out like the fingers on your hand or some form of that. Okay, grass blade blades are long and skinny, and the veins go up and down the grass blade like railroad tracks going down the grass blade leaf. The third type is sedges, and that would be nuts edge and kaialenga and some others like that. Each of those three categories we deal with in different ways, but knowing which category you're in at least get you in the right ballpark for that. Folks at airlom soils have more quality soil products than you can imagine. I mean all kinds of things. Maybe you are looking for just compost, or maybe you're looking for compost with expanded shale for those heavy clay soils to last longer. Maybe you're looking for gistics spanditshell. Maybe you want veggie nerve mix or bloomers rosanother bloomers blend. It's all there. Go to Heirloomsoils dot com find the one near you, use the calculator to figure out how much you need. Then go to your local garden center and feed store nice hardware stores in places like that. Find your airloom soil by the bag or call them up and have them deliver, or go pick it up. You can drive out there to porter get it yourself. You got a truck or trailer. But the main thing is go to Airloomsoils dot com. Find a quality product. All right, welcome back, Thank you. Could you have it with us here on Guardenline. We are in our last half hour of the show today, so either give me a call or keep your piece until tomorrow morning. Give me either way. Seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two KTRH makes it easy easy, all right, NiTi Fas Superturf silver bag. Now those are the things you need to know night Fas Superturf sober Back. It is a slow release fertilizer contains nineteen percent nitrogen, but don't worry about that. It's not going to make your lawn just grow so fast. You have the Momo mo mo mo to keep up with it. And when that happens, by the way, you also end up with less of a root system. Isn't that weird that excessive nitrogen causes top growth at the expense of root growth. And do we need less roots in summer? Heavens, no, we need we need more roots, you know, because you need a stronger, more robust plant. And that is what night fis Superturf is about. Now, You're going to find night Foss products like Superturf at many different places. For example, you go to Fisher Hardware down there on Alexander in Baytown, you're going to find it, as well as the other Fisher Hardware is in Pasadena and Laport in mont Bellvue. You're going to find it at Hide and Feed on Stubner Airline. They carry night Foss products, as does Enchanted Gardens out there on FM three point fifty nine in the Richmond Rosenberg area. Nightrofis super Turf will carry you all the way to your fall. Fertiliz makes it easy, makes it fast and simple. Well, I have covered a lot of different things today. I told you how to look at the end of your arm and find those little things called fingers on there and use them in proper gardening things. I want to talk a little bit about no fruit on fruit trees. I mentioned I would do that earlier, and so let's do it right now now fruit trees. There are a lot of different kinds of fruit, and just because they're all called fruit doesn't mean they're anything alike. I mean, when you go from a fig to a satsuma, orange to a peach to a pair, you are going into a whole different categories of plants, and they behave differently many types of fruit set fruit without pollination from a second variety. So figs, the figs we grow here now in California, they do grow figs that need pollinating here. Our standard figs in Texas are not. You don't require pollination, They just form fruit. Peaches are going to pollenate themselves and be just fine. You don't have to worry about a second variety. Plums, it's better to have a second variety, although there are some varieties like methley that will pollinate themselves, but in general it's better to have a second variety. When it comes to pears, in general, it's better to have a second variety to do well. When it comes to blueberries, they will pollinate themselves some, but if you want bigger berries, you need a second variety for cross pollination for them to do their best. Apples need to have two varieties in order to have success. Okay, so those are just some examples of reasons you may not have fruit on your fruit trees. We call it the Lonely Hearts Club. That variety needs a partner that's a different variety in order to pollinate it. That's one number two. You don't have pollinator insects. If you kill all the bees, well, the pollination's up to you. Go ahead and buy an artist paintbrush and run around your tree pollinating every little flower every day. Good luck with that, by the way, Oh, a solution for the Lonely Horts club. The first reason we don't get fruit is to find a friend who has that kind of fruit in a different variety and make an arrangement. See if they will let you trim one little branch off, put it in I like to use just like a soft drink can, a coke can or something. You can just wire it into the branch there, put some water in it and stick that branch in it, and the bees all that day will go through and they'll be getting pollen from those flowers and taking them to your flowers. So you're gonna get a little pollination there until you're able to get up tree planted and growing and to a point where it can bloom itself, so you can bring in some things that way. You just have to have a cooperative friend to do it. Maybe promise them half your peaches or something. I don't know, but that's one, okay, So it's number two, no pollinators, It's important. Number three not enough sunlight. It takes a lot of carbohydrates to make bloom buds and to set blooms and to make a good crop of fruit. And so if you have a lack of blooming, if you have a lack of fruit development and things, and maybe that you're not getting the at least six hours of sunlight almost all fruit is going to require to have success. So those are three reasons. There are others we could talk about, but those are three reasons why you have a fruit tree that doesn't fruit. Maybe sometime we'll come back to visit that and talk about a few others. Let's head to Montgomery right now, and we're going to head out there and talk to Brett. Well, hello, Brett, welcome to gardenlin'em. Good to have you with us.
Speaker 12: Good morning. I was asking we put down the nitropause silver bag late April, early May, and my question is how long should I wait before I do it again?
Speaker 1: Tell me you did it, and you said toward the end of May or early May. No, No, yeah, right at the end of April early May.
Speaker 12: I don't have my calendar deal with me, so I'm in the car.
Speaker 1: But yeah, right at the end of April.
Speaker 12: And I didn't know if we needed to wait many days, you know, are how long between the.
Speaker 1: You know it's gonna last about four months or sixteen weeks. So let's just say you did it in May. That covers May, June, July, and August. I wouldn't do it again then because by the time we get to October, we're going to be doing a fall fertilization with a different blend, and you don't want to have the silver bags still going strong at the same time. Now you add the other that that's not a good approach at that season of the year. So you if I would return my clippings, I think you're going to be okay to carry you through. If you wanted to give a little boost, then choose their their red bag, which is the fifteen to five to ten. That's an immediate release. Okay, you could you could do that if you felt like it needed more. I think if you return clippings water adequately, your LUN's going to look good anyway. But be ready to consider the red bag by the time it about maybe late July and early August.
Speaker 12: Okay, yeah, I and we have really hard you know this clay soil up here. Do we need to do We need to add the trace minerals in I've heard you talk about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, the the real answer to your question depends on what's already in the soil, okay, because you only add what you need. That includes regular fertilizers, that includes the trace minerals. But as a general guide, putting the azmite down once or twice a year, depending on your soil conditions is a good idea. It doesn't hurt to add some more in there. You just don't want to overdo it. Like any kind of fertilization, you don't want to overdo it. But a soil test is our main guide on all kinds of fertilization, but in general we go with the rules of Thumb, which is my schedule of when to fertilize and when to put down the azmite.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna do a soil sample. I think it's a good idea. I've had this place for three years now. We get good grass growth. It's been growing so fast. I'm a little bit worried I'm not getting the root growth I want.
Speaker 1: But the lawn is thickened up a lot, and uh it lied good. You know, it's a good heavy base.
Speaker 3: But okay, that's all right with it.
Speaker 1: I just was wondering, go to do it right? Yeah, well I would expect that from night Fross super terf to give you that. But let me just tell you this. If you go online to my publications, there's a publication on SWIW testing made Simple and when you look at it, go see the deal. You know what you need to do on it. But it also uh if you if you click on it and look at it as a PDF file, uh, you have a direct link to the right form on the sal Testing website. Okay, and tells you how to fill out but you you'll go past, ye yeah, past the web page, click on the PDF download of it. All right, thanks a lot, many appreciate that, Thank you, Yes, sir, take a little break here. Listen. When we have clay soil, that means when it gets wet, it swells, when it gets dry it shrinks. Most clay soils will do that. There's different types of clays. But what happens when that happens, Well, your sidewalk cracks, your driveway cracks, your foundation can crack. And fix myslab dot com is the website for fix my slab foundation repair ty Stretchlan's been doing this for twenty three years. He's a native Estonian, fifth generation Texan, and he takes care of his customers. He shows up on time, he prices it fair, and he fixes it right. What more could you ask from any service that comes to your home on time, fair price and fixed right. Two eight one, two five five forty nine forty nine. Give him a call, tell him you're a guardline listener. Free estimates for gardenline listeners two eight one two fy five forty nine forty nine or fix myslab dot com. I'm gonna take a break and Mary in West Houston. You'll be first when I come back. Welcome back to garden Line. All right, let's go to let's go to West Houston and we're going to talk to Mary. Hello, Mary, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 21: Hi, thank you for taking my call. I have a raised bed in front of my townhouse. And I say it's the raised bed. It's actually like a big planter box. I sent you a photo of one of six as alias that I have in there.
Speaker 3: They're brand new.
Speaker 21: We put in good soil, and now I'm starting to lose them one by one. I had one guy tell me, oh, you've got a fungus. I took a sample to Cornelius. She said, no, it's an irrigation problem. You're watering too much or you're watering too little. Then I took a sample to Southwest and he said, it's a problem.
Speaker 10: It doesn't seem like you're.
Speaker 21: That is draining well or that you know, so it's not draining well. Okay, I don't know what, so you can look at it.
Speaker 1: I can help you with that. I have I already have. So here here's here's the thing. The plant, the whole plant is declining and wilting. Rapidly, and that means there's a plumbing problem. The flow of water from the bottom to the top is not happening. So if you have poor drainage and or over water so that the roots cannot get oxygen, a plant will wilt in standing water. And azaleas need good drainage. They want moisture consistently. They're not drought tolerant that much, but they they need good drainage. So if that happens, that alone can take a plan out. Usually when a plant is stressed like that, root rots will enter the roots, and now you have a disease inside the roots, killing the root system, which again is just it's the same result. That's why I say it's a plumbing problem. If you don't have roots, you can't get water up to the top. That's a plumbing problem. And so whether it's physical due to lack of oxygen drowning, or whether it's root rot, it causes a similar symptom above. So the question is which is it. If you dig down in the soil with a hand trowl about four inches deep or six inches and feel the soil, you can tell if it's too soggy, wet, and so that tells you right there what you men need to do. It could be that just drying out, it'll perk back and be okay, but if not, then you would need to do a systemic fungicide treatment around that plant, and that would be buying certain kinds of fungicides, not just anyone, but buying a fungicide that you would drench on the soil and it would be taken up into the root system to protect the plant. If you wait until too long, that's not going to work because there's no root system left to protect. So it's going to be one of those two. I can't tell you, nor can any of the people you've talked to tell you just by looking at the at the picture you know, or the planet itself. But it's going to be one of those things. So you think about, think about how wet you've kept it, think about how well it drains. Is it a raised bed like we recommend for azelias to be planted in, or is it down ground level in a clay where it's easy to stay soggy.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Then some people will pull plants out, build up the bed, set the plants back in in order to try to fix that problem. That way. But if it's a disease, you've got to get a systemic fungicide that fights root rot, and you need to go to a place like Southwest Fertilizer Bob has telling him, I've got I need a root rot fungicide. And he may have something called ban rot b A n R O T, or he may have another one to help you with that. But if he looked at it and told you, I think it's just too wet, then it's probably not a root rot, because he knows what he's talking about.
Speaker 21: Okay, okay, okay, good to know I'm dedicated to making this work. I think I'm crazy, all right, Okay, I appreciate it very much.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you very much. I appreciate it's your call. Yeah, that's kind of how it works. That's how it works with the root rots and things. You know, in a lot of ways. Uh you if you see a plant and the leaves are all turning crispy and dying, uh, you know, it could be drought. It could be that a borer is chewed through the trunk and has cut off all the plumbing pipes. Right, can't get water. If you got if the plumbing is broken in the middle. Uh, And that's what happens when a borer choose through the tissues. It could be that you put so much fertilizer on you burn the root system. Salt based fertilizer, not organic, but salt based. You apply too much to a limited, confined root system like a new plant, and you can fry the roots because salt plant skin. You can't put salt on plants like that. When you overdo it. Put the right amount, it's good for the plant. Put the wrong amount, you kill things. And all of those create similar symptoms. Tip and margin burn on the roots from fertilizer for other things. But when it comes to just a wilting well, water's not getting to those leaves. But the question is why is it Because there's no root system. Maybe it's a root rot. Maybe it's something underground chewing up the roots. Maybe when you planted it, you let it sit out and the roots outside dried out, and then you put it in the ground and now that plant that had a good root system getting watered every day in the pot suddenly is in big trouble. It could be a lot of things, but the bottom line is it's a plumbing problem, and you've got to figure out why. And sometimes that requires just thinking back to how you've cared about it, considering whether it's planted in the ground, or do you need to loosen things up a little bit and get it above ground. I tell people when you plant in azalia or blueberry especially, but other plants, this can be true as well in poorly drained areas. Imagine that you set the plant on top of the ground, and then you bring in a bed mix and fill in around it. Now that's not the order that you go in, but it creates the mental picture of my root system is in the bed, not sunken down into poorly drained soil. It's in a raised bit soill. You build a bed and then you dig the hole. But the equivalent of it is you just set the plant on the ground. That helps people understand. Don't in a clay soil that doesn't drain well it's a low area or whatever. Don't just dig a hole in the ground. That's it's called an underground bathtub. And a clay soil it holds water. Farm ponds they line them with clay so they hold water that they put vent night clay in a farm pond to make it whole water better, and so you don't want that when you're sticking a plant in the ground. All right, Hey, if you got any cool furniture that's metal that needs some help, call Houston Powder Coders two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight. Two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight. You can send them a picture at sales at houstoncoders dot com. I don't care if it's cast iron, wrought iron, aluminum, whatever it is. Send them a picture. They'll send you a quick quote, they'll come and get it, and when they're done, they'll bring it back. If you're in the Houston area Houston Powdercoders dot Com two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight. You will not believe how beautiful they can make your furniture. Let's go now and talk to Tim in Massachusetts. All right, Tim, how can we help the day?
Speaker 8: Yeah, good morning, SKIPT. I have Queen Anne's lace and it's it's in dating our flower garden. Of your of your herbicides that you use with the wiper, what one is going to be the best? Because I can see any mentioned the Queen Anne's lace if you.
Speaker 1: Go under the broad leave it. I know the leaves of Queen Ann's lace are not broad but it's a broad leaf plant. It's not a grassy plant or a sedg and so go with the what it says broad leaf on there. And so you can use a number of different products. Is this growing among desirable plants?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay. So also on my website you'll see something about skips homemade weed wiper and it's a little gadget Bill's real easy to build one. Yeah, And so you can wipe it on the Queen Ann's lace leaves and it'll translocate down and kill it and you get none on your desirable plants. That's why I created that weed wiper, homemade weed wiper. And then go down the list to broad leaf weeds. Yeah. And so basically you're looking at things like trimac or other broad leaf controls that have multi ingredients. Typically they'll have about three different ingredients in them to make sure they cover all the spectrum.
Speaker 13: Okay, very good, And there.
Speaker 8: Isn't too much you can do about Japanese na napweed.
Speaker 13: Is that correct?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to look on that one. We don't deal with it as much down here, but I would use a broad leaf as my first shot on it. It may be that we have to shift to something else. If you like to hold on, my producer will give you an email. We send me a picture of it and an email, and then maybe call back next tomorrow or next weekend and let me look into that one. And I may need to go a little more specific than just what's on my sheet right there.
Speaker 13: Okay, okay, great, thank you very much for your hope.
Speaker 1: All right, give itt I'm putting you on hold if you want to stick around and get that email. All right, folks, there we are. This one's in the books. Hopefully you had fun today. I sure did. We'll be back tomorrow morning, six am, bright and early. Hey, if I'm willing to get up and be here, grab you a cup of coffee and join me.