Speaker 1: So your expectations have been high, Nick, and now we are excited to bring on somebody who knows what those defensive expectations are all about. Inside linebacker Alex Singleton. Alex, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: Yep, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Alex. Just can you start off, let's before we get to the game on Sunday. That joint practice on Friday against the Packers, you guys have that two minute situation there at the end, two reps basically for the first team defense stop Jordan Love and the Packers offense both times. What sort of confidence boost is that for this defense when you can match up against a team that went to the playoffs last year and have that kind of success against him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a huge confidence boost. And I think it's just you know, I think you know, Sean, you know, focuses so much on situational football. You know, if you can you know, you win the two minute girls before the half and then the end of the game, it swings the game in so many ways because you know, you can you know, score twice at half of the offense scoring and then obviously the end of the game, and every NFL game really comes down to that. So to be able to do that again that obviously that quarterback. You know, it's a huge boast of confidence, especially with you know, we're still you know really you know, honing in on what we want to be able to do this year.
Speaker 3: Now, a lot of young faces on that defense this year as you guys you go into your second year. One guy I've been impressed with is Jonah Ellis. I mean you on the field with him every single day and you've had two games to watch him from a preseason standpoint, what have you seen about him that excites you as a teammate.
Speaker 2: And he's a football player. I mean you can tell that. It's like in his jeans. You know, obviously his dad played. You know, he's got two brothers in the NFL. And it's just how he plays the game. You know, he's a he's a smart, calm guy and you know, just like that. You know, he's kind of been around the game, so it's not it doesn't seem too big for him. You know, he's a smart player, knows what to do. Yeah, he's fun to watch. I actually today you know, he was he was tired this morning and I was like, hey, well you're tired. He's like, oh these games. I was like, it's funny one more than it doesn't count that we really start and he could just you could tell his guys like, oh man, this is this is a long season. So uh yeah, no, he's great.
Speaker 1: Though, Alex. You talked I think in the spring about the need to start fast and how much faster you thought guys were playing under Vance in year two. How is that translated to the field, And I guess how much confidence you have that when you get to week one in Seattle that it can be a faster start. And like you said, maybe the defense has to play a leading role early, especially if it's a young guy in bo that's that's in their quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think, you know, defensively, you know, you know, Sunday this week, you know, was great. I thought, you know, we played really well, but there was still a ton of mistakes. To go back and watch today and just go, hey, you know, we can we can shut a team out of this caliber. Yeah, they didn't play the starters, but you know it was their you know, their scheme and all that stuff, and to go, hey, you know if the first, second, third, you know, fourth guys that can go out there and all run the same thing and see that. You know, playing physical, playing fast does cover up mistakes. But at the end of the day, like, hey, if we can clear up these small things here, small things there, and also add the physicality of the speed that we're playing with right now, you know, every day, just kind of building on that, it could be huge and yeah, to you know, be able to start the season the way we want to, you know, you know, as much as it is obviously one team to be able to you know, be a defense that can give the ball back to the offense and give them as many opportunities as we can instead of playing from behind the a ball on defense, it makes a big difference to this team now.
Speaker 3: Obviously, after watching Bold perform over the pass two weeks, there is a certain level of enthusiasm in this fan base. There are those who are like, well, hey, you guys putting the cart before the horse. But you're there on the field with him, You're seeing how he works. How does that work for you guys? Giving you confidence defensively knowing as though your young quarterback who was drafted in the first round is able to go down and move the ball down the field in a two minute drill or to start the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's impressive. Nothing seems you know, too big for him, you know it the light doesn't seem too bright, you know. You know, I was talking to him when we're in Indy and just you know, he was kind of like, man, you know, it's way you know the game, you know, in between places because in practice we go pretty high tempo. And he was like, man, it's a lot slower before the play. But then he was like damn starting to play it. You know, it turns on and so you know, you could just you could just see him chasing that kind of you know, that competitiveness, and I think, you know, he's such a gamer. I mean, you guys see him a practice compared to games, and it's just you know, it's obviously on during practice. He you know, he plays really well, but you know when the when that spotlight's on. You know, even that play last night that got called back, you know, the you know, the ball over the line of scrimmage or whatever. I mean, that's the play that you know, not a lot of guys make, not a lot of young guys, you know, keep their eyes down the field when they're moving like that. So it's exciting to see it and it's fun to.
Speaker 1: Watch that play. I feel like it was cool enough it should just count it.
Speaker 2: I agree, you know, in the preseason, they gotta let some of this stuff swift.
Speaker 1: Alex, We've asked you a lot about a number of different guys. How are how are you doing? You've got, you know, Josie moved on. Now you got a bigger leadership role this year, more responsibilities on the field. What's it been like for you as you've kind of taken this next step in your career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been great, you know, Like I said, you know, this is the first time, you know, I've had the same decordinator two years in a row since you know, my first two years in Philly in nineteen and twenty. So it's been it's been a long time since I've had, you know, the same decordinator twice, So that one is nice to be. You know, I've come in and obviously just been in our system, you know, been able to you know, continue to grow with VJ and those guys, and yeah, and then just you know, kind of bringing the young guys along, kind of trying to you know, be that you know, obviously I think any leaders will lead by example first then by you know, just talking, and so it's you know, just leading by example, showing them that, you know, this is how I've kind of done it for, you know, as long as I've been playing, and you know, just you know, lead that way.
Speaker 3: Well, Alex, thanks for giving us some time. But before you go, I have to definitely say this as a guy that to cut my teeth and to see if so, I'm glad to see that you now finally found a home with the Broncos. And for all those people who overlook you every day, that you go out there on the field and you ball out, it makes those individuals look really poor in their evaluation of you. So I like the way you attack the game. I like your aggressiveness. Man, I wish you nothing but success this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate it. Thank you,