Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio apps.
Speaker 2: Time for Swamp watch.
Speaker 1: Swamp is horrible.
Speaker 2: The government doesn't work. Man, make it like a reality TV show.
Speaker 1: A bad Noos, always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d C.
Speaker 2: Hey Joe.
Speaker 3: A town hall too, clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways.
Speaker 2: Still a swamp. I have to watch it. Mawarkee boy said, drained the swamp. I said, Oh, that's so hell. Keep happensh You.
Speaker 1: Know the thing, well, it was one year ago today the terror attack on Israel, and just reading through what happened at that music Supernova festival, the journey of unity and love there near the border, just rereading the stories from one year ago today, it's it's just horrific.
Speaker 4: And we have been following what appears to be this slow trudge towards a wider war throughout the Middle East, and we wanted to talk more about what it is that the future holds for that area. Lieutenant General Richard Newton is joining US a senior National Court a security contributor to News Nation General this has been a very dark year obviously for that region. Where are we today compared to where we were in the afternoon of October seventh from last.
Speaker 5: Year, Well, good morning, and you're right. It was an absolutely brutal attack and frankly in the public domain right now, I'd like our listeners appreciating context. Hamas took a play the playbook of ISIS and al Qaeda and actually used such brutal tactics on a battlefield to include sexual violence on the battlefield and the taking of hostages. And there's still about one hundred and one hostages still under Hamas control. I believe there's probably significantly less still alive. But where we are right now is an Israel that had its back against the wall. That was a significant failure of Israel, certainly in their military intelligence and their other intelligence to the fact that it was a surprise attack on October seventh. But where we are right now is we've seen the resolve of Prime Minister n in Yahoo, certainly the capabilities of Israeli defense forces and frankly, Israeli people have stood up to this brutal attack. But there's not just one axis that they are being attacked there's multiple fronts, what I would call an axis of evil. You've got Hamas in Gaza pretty much decimated at this point. You've got heaslots to the north, which has the largest paramilitary terraced foot soldiers in terms of numbers and capability. To the north have been lobbing since October eighth, relentlessly, up to thirteen thousand projectiles of missiles and rockets on artillery since October eighth. Then, of course, hoof, he's down in the South and Yemen. These are all proc of Iran. The head of the snak is Iran, and so that has become loud and clear. I think not only certainly Israel knew that. The United States knew that. I knew that when I was on active duty, but now the rest of the world does. And so what you're seeing play out is that Israel almost is going alone at this point. However, we've been providing. You are still our military supplies and capabilities and arms and so forth. But nonetheless, Israel has fought back. I believe they've fought back somewhat relentlessly and effectively. And so we're at a point now where Hamas is decimated as well, they have systematically taken out their leadership as well as a lot of their military capabilities are missile capabilities. And so the next thing is, Okay, how are they going to counterattack against Iran if they've made two major acts of war in their missile attack on April thirteenth, in October.
Speaker 1: First, Yeah, Lieutenant General Richard Newton is who we're talking to right now, senior national security contributor for News Nation. The proxies you mentioned, Iran's proxies hamas have been weakened substantially since a year ago today.
Speaker 6: Does that make it.
Speaker 1: More imminent or put pressure on Israel maybe now to go into Iran and to attack the nuclear facilities.
Speaker 5: Well premise in Nyahu, and his Minister of Defense has said that they will attack Iran on their time and their choosing. But however, I believe where the stress is the most stressed UH in terms of the midiest right now is Iran because of they have then they thought that their proxies, which really serve as their long range military capability, they don't have a really particularly strong conventional capability other than in missiles, and in some degree there they're specialists inside the Iranian revolution at Guard Corps. But they've been using these proxies for decades husb lah Hamas and Husi's and so forth. And now that they seem that Israel has done to Hamas specifically and now Hesbelah, I believe it's really put the stress and backed Iran into a corner. And so Israel right now is, in my view, in what I would call a driver's seat. And so it's up to Israel in terms of how they go back and strike Iran. They did after the April thirteenth missile attack, if you recall, there's just one They went after one area defense system in the Isfahan reason, which is another nuclear weapons capability. But right now I think you're going to see a much more culminating a broader, comprehensive counter strike with impunity, not just over a day or two, but probably in terms of weeks of time.
Speaker 4: I love your perspective. Thank you for that, Lieutenant General Richard Newton, Thanks for taking.
Speaker 2: Time for us today.
Speaker 5: My pleasure, good morning.
Speaker 2: Thanks. This is going to be an issue.
Speaker 4: I know that when Kamala Harris sat down for that interview with sixty Minutes that airs tonight, one of the clips that's been released by CBS. Already is her being asked about Benjamin Netanya, who is not listening to you.
Speaker 2: He's not listening to Joe Biden. He's not listening to you.
Speaker 4: We claim that we're the biggest ally that we've got, but you keep telling him to calm down, basically, and to you keep calling for a ceasefire.
Speaker 2: He's not paying attention to.
Speaker 1: No escalation has been the Biden and Kamala Harris response. Trump, on the other hand, says, now's the time for Israel to act and take out those nuclear facilities, like let's kick the dog while it's down right and show us strength towards the axis of evil here. And you know the point I was trying to drive home there is this is the weakest Hesbalah and Hamas have been for a long time. Now is the time to strike. If you're going to do that. Yeah, well, there has been a lot of speculation that the inaction in North Carolina with cleaning up Helene is in correlation to the fact that North Carolina elects Republicans, specifically Donald Trump and twenty took i think twenty seven out of twenty eight counties there. Georgia is also another state where voting preparation has been disrupted because of Helene, those two battleground states, and that's the fight is going to center around this. If he goes on to lose, it's going to center around Biden's Administration's a response to the cleanup and all that, and being able to get people to the ballots, get people to the polls or less than a month away now, and if there's already a backlog of voting preparations, that's going to be a fight.
Speaker 4: Well, vote by mail when they don't have mail, I mean, how do you do that? Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: This is if this is.
Speaker 4: A thing, it's a dangerous thing to allege because on the other side, there are allegations that former President Trump said he was going to withhold wildlife sorry, wildfire relief money from California because it's so blue. That kind of rhetoric, that kind of talk, that kind of discussion, if it even crosses a politician's mind, should disqualify them from ever holding office.
Speaker 1: Ever, that's not what we do. That's what killed Chris Christie in a way. Yeah, going to give you traffic.
Speaker 4: Speaking of and I had mentioned earlier that FEMA, you know, FEMA has the ability to get more money. I mean they've gone through what was allocated to them, and that this has been a particularly difficult year.
Speaker 2: We do have more money that can come. It's got to go through Congress.
Speaker 4: Now, Mike Johnson is saying he's not committing to calling Congress back into session before the election because they're out now, they're not supposed, they're not scheduled to come back. But in his letter, in a letter I should say, President Biden urged Congress to restore funding to the Small Business Administration's Disaster loan program, which is facing some short falls even before Hurricane Helene came through. And now that we've talked about having Milton knocking on the door of Floorida, it's not going to get a whole lot better. Also mentioned that there are plenty of interviews coming up. Vice President Harris has an interview tonight on sixty Minutes. Then she does Stephen Colbert, then she does Howard Stern, then she does the View. The last three probably not the hardest hitting. She also did an interview with Alex what's her name A Hamilton now Alex Cooper. Alex Cooper from the Call Her Daddy podcast I've listened to one entire episode of this thing, so I can't qualify or agree or not with if it's a sex podcast.
Speaker 6: I did a read. It's the number two podcasts behind Joe Rogan.
Speaker 4: It's very popular. Regardless of what the topics are, it's a very popular thing. And I mentioned that I listened to this whole episode today because I wanted to hear what the hullabaloo was.
Speaker 2: This was the first question to ask of the Vice president.
Speaker 6: What made you want to do call her daddy today?
Speaker 7: Well, I think you and your listeners have really got this thing right, which is one of the best ways to communicate with people is to be real, you know, and to talk about the things that people.
Speaker 6: Really care about.
Speaker 7: What I love about what you do is that your voice in your show is really about your listeners. And I think, especially now, this is a moment in the country and in life where people really want another scene and heard and that they're part of a community. I think that she's been show and so I'm really glad to be with you.
Speaker 4: That was that was word salary a little bit. I mean, the idea of being seen and heard, et cetera. The interview itself wasn't bad in that she didn't do anything wrong.
Speaker 1: I feel like sometimes when she's confronted with journalists, she gets her she puts her friences up, she puts her her guard, she's defensive, and she if she feels she can go on the podcast and be real, that's great for her.
Speaker 6: That's a great moment.
Speaker 2: And listen.
Speaker 4: Election wise, yeah, that's the way you can win an election. That is to go through and talk to people at their level however you want to do that. But even Andrea and Mitchell from MSNBC yesterday said, Kamala Harris has got to do serious interview and I.
Speaker 8: Think they've got to double down on doing more interviews and serious interviews because when I'm hearing from Democratic and Republican business people and a lot of men, and she's got such a big problem with men. I think there's an under account of the Trump vote. I think there's a miss edgn misogenation in all of this black and white men big problem. But also the business world, they don't think she is serious, they don't think she's a heavyweight. And a lot of this is gender. But she's got to be more specific about her economic.
Speaker 4: Fans now she's going, like I said, she did call her Daddy's She's doing Stephen Colbert, Howard Stern and the view outside of that sixty minute interview, and then Tim Walls on the underticket, the undercard, the vice presidential nominee is doing Jimmy Kimmel. I mean, these are not serious interviews, and I know that they can ask serious questions, but that's not what drives those types of interviews, and it's going to come back to haunt them.
Speaker 1: I think we mentioned earlier the term gray divorce. It turns out thirty six percent of people getting a divorce in this country are over the age.
Speaker 6: Of fifty and the different reasons for that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: One of the things that I pointed out was I would be very upset if my parents had divorced after they were fifty.
Speaker 2: And I'm not certain.
Speaker 4: I think part of it would be my naivete about what a marriage is supposed.
Speaker 1: To be, okay, or what you thought your parents had thought they had, and that you would feel like it was a lie if they got a divorce.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's one thing if you saw I mean, kids are probably a lot more in tune to these things then they realize you know, relationships strained between your parents. I'm sure that everybody probably has seen some level of it to some degree, and you know, some people have nightmare stories about, yeah, the relationship that their parents had. But I think it would have just been a letdown for me because I would have thought, why I thought you guys were and maybe listen again, I speak from a point of naivete where my parents didn't have that. They didn't have a lot of friction in their marriage, they didn't have a lot of strained times. So I'm lucky for that. And I think that you know, other people who did grow up with that strained marriage, or that their parents got divorced when they were six or twelve or eighteen, Like, different stages bring with it different kinds of reactions to that. So I at least acknowledge that's not that's not my experience, and I can I can say that for some people it's probably one of, if not the biggest childhood memory they have is watching their parents go through and divorce, right, So I don't know, it would just be I was naive to think I would have been naive if they had gotten divorced after the age of fifty.
Speaker 6: So what did people say?
Speaker 2: So there were other things.
Speaker 4: Some people said that I was right, but for different reasons too.
Speaker 2: So Hey, Garry Jen happy ONNDY to you. Hey, it's Robin Oc.
Speaker 3: I'm a divorcee. I felt it was better to be divorced than being a toxic relationship because then I'm teaching my kids has to survive in a toxic relationship and that's not a healthy way of life.
Speaker 6: Just my opinion.
Speaker 2: Thanks guys, let me show bye.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's one of the issues. He's talking specifically from his own experience. But there has to be a calculus that you go through when you're going to end a relationship like that. Not just end the relationship, but I mean all of the legal matters that come along with it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's all needs to be taken into consideration, because that can be a complete mess.
Speaker 9: Gary, if your parents got divorced once the kids were all up and out of the house and onto their own lives, would you really be angry or would you maybe also be sad, disappointed, frustrated, disillusioned if they really tried to work on it and found that it wasn't going to make them both happy when they have deserved to try to find happiness individually. Just my perspective.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again, you have a hard time articulating your emotions. So that's what I was trying to get to. When you say it would make me angry, it's like, well, what do you mean by that? What do you mean when you say angry? And I think she kind of nailed it well, she definitely had better words than I did.
Speaker 6: That's what you sad?
Speaker 9: Disappointed?
Speaker 6: Yes, frustrated disillusion.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: You need that chart with the faces so you can better articulate.
Speaker 2: We moved it to Texas with my daughter.
Speaker 6: Can't just be angry or.
Speaker 1: Sad or happy two main emotions. Needs to be a little bit more shades. But it's also she pointed out something that I hadn't thought of.
Speaker 9: When they have deserved to try to find happiness individually.
Speaker 2: Uh no, they're my parents. They're supposed to be together.
Speaker 4: Again, I'm not saying that's the right way, but that would be what my reaction is.
Speaker 6: Right, Right, you're not their whole world.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you think that our parents don't have their own lives.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I trust me. I'm on the receiving end of that now too. My kids look at me. I don't know what they expect of me or what kind of they don't. It's not like they ask about my relationship with their mother.
Speaker 1: Right, But what you're not just your relationship, and you're not just your relationship with them. You're into adult theater, you have a career. You like to tinker. Yeah, you're kind of a tinker, like around the house you were painted.
Speaker 10: They got to say, I resound with Gary on that whole angry about parents coming to you at the age of fifty and saying they want a divorce. My parents did that, and I was so mad at them. I was like, we were miserable as children. You guys stayed together that whole entire time. You never left him then, and now you want to leave him.
Speaker 2: Hell no.
Speaker 10: It was interesting, really, I was so angry.
Speaker 4: Now that again, that wouldn't have been my experience because I had a good childhood. I mean, it was happy, there.
Speaker 2: Were no negatives.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But that she talked about it that they grew up miserable because their parents were miserable.
Speaker 1: Right, and so why didn't you just do this and saved us the misery?
Speaker 6: Interesting?
Speaker 4: But the other thing is you've put in twenty five thirty years with someone, and you're just gonna like throw that away. Oh there's a shiny new thing, or I.
Speaker 1: Don't feel like on your priority. Speaking to the woman that was profiled in the story earlier, I just she said, we had the house, we had the kids, we had a household. EQUI that's right, equal equal sharing of the household duties and the child rearing and everything.
Speaker 6: But I didn't feel like I was his number one priority.
Speaker 1: Well, priorities change from day to day, time to time, they look different. You can't be the number one priority all the time, right telling me like, right now, your number one priority should be that shirt and what you're going to do with it when you get rid of it.
Speaker 2: Why why do I get rid of that shirt? Just kidding? You do that to me all the time. See how it feels feel better, does it?
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, it's a beautiful shirt.
Speaker 2: There's a new thing that's going to ruin our jobs. Great.
Speaker 4: I thought AI was never coming for us. It's totally coming for us.
Speaker 1: I'm having friends text me telling me who is uh who should.
Speaker 6: Consider a divorce later in life? This is not.
Speaker 2: Okay? Open up there.
Speaker 1: We got to get to the story tomorrow if we don't get it to it today. And that producer Alex found about why did people in the past look so much older?
Speaker 2: That's a great that's a great story.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 2: Because you look at people and you make fun of me. I think it.
Speaker 8: They've got to double down on doing more interviews and serious interviews because when I'm hearing from democratic.
Speaker 1: Why does she start talking, Well, she wants us to do more serious interviews.
Speaker 4: You always make fun of me, and you go that guy's that guy's your age or whatever.
Speaker 6: That's not me making fun of you. That's saying, can you.
Speaker 2: Believe that guy's your age?
Speaker 6: Because you look.
Speaker 4: I see what you're doing now. You're trying to clean up your mess and know it because you make fun You do not look your age.
Speaker 1: You look a good You look more like my age than your age. If I had to, if I saw you in the wild, if you saw me on that corner down here, yeah, I'd say you were my age, I'd say you're about forty forty three.
Speaker 6: Forty four.
Speaker 4: Hm, you emphasized forty four. You could have just stuck with forty three.
Speaker 1: Well, I was slow rolling my forty four to make it sound like there was some wiggle room there that maybe I could be forty three.
Speaker 6: No, but you know what I.
Speaker 1: Mean, Like, when I see a guy that's that's like not taking care of himself, who's your age? I'm like, can you believe that you guys are the same age? I do the same thing to my husband too. My husband also takes great care of himself, does not look his age at all. So it's just it's fascinating to me the spectrum of of but back it does seem like when my parents, my grand parents were my grandparents, Yeah, they looked a lot older than my mom, Like my grandmother looked a hell of a lot older than my mom does now at seventy six.
Speaker 2: I listen.
Speaker 4: I don't know if this is also because they've passed, but I have a specific age for my parents when I think of them, the image that comes to my head, it's a specific age. Yes, it doesn't change over the course of the forty or fifty years that I've known them and been conscious of that.
Speaker 2: I have a specific image.
Speaker 6: How old were you at that at this time?
Speaker 4: Well, it would have been right about they would have been right about probably late forties, So that would have put me.
Speaker 1: That's how I think of my parents too. That's funny as a teenager. Yes, and that's it, right, that's funny, guys. This is the end. Oh, we are ushering in the end.
Speaker 4: There's a guy who writes for the Washington Post who has a Jeffrey Fowler, who has spent a lot of time in technology, privacy things like that, and he.
Speaker 2: Used an experimental.
Speaker 4: AI website called notebook LM. It generates audio based on information that you upload to it, and in this case, he uploaded Facebook's privacy policy that just think of that, the terms and condition, the privacy policy that Facebook has. He uploaded that into this AI website, outcomes a seven and a half minute podcast.
Speaker 2: This is not two human beings speaking to each other. Did you know they actually track your mouse movements, like every little scroll and hesitation. It's kind of creepy when you think about it. They say it helps him tell real users apart from box.
Speaker 6: But still, yeah, it does make you wonder, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: And that's just one example.
Speaker 1: Metta also collects a ton of info on the people you're connected to, your friends, followers, even people you might know whoa just the way they're speaking. It's not computer like the intonation the breath.
Speaker 2: Wow, they have breath.
Speaker 1: They have breath. That is terrifying. Wait a minute, are we AI right now? And that's not all?
Speaker 2: So this guy says, when they.
Speaker 1: Start doing humor, that's what that's what I'm coming up with their own jokes, coming up with their own jokes or reacting to humor, that'll be the troubling stuff.
Speaker 4: This guy, Jeffrey Fowler, again says he was surprised that when he uploaded the Facebook privacy policy, what was spit out on the other end was more critical than he was expecting. Taking the point of view of a skeptical Facebook user, is is I didn't tell it to do that. The AI decides its own focus on each podcast and each summary that it comes up with, and it said, it's it's interesting because he knows this policy inside now for fifteen years, he's been writing about Facebook privacy policies, social media privacy policies. And he said, what was surprising was about four minutes into this podcast, it takes a detour into the meta oversight board. He said, it makes moderation decisions and it's mentioned in the privacy policy, but it isn't nearly as important to your privacy as a lot of other things in the policy, like how Meta uses your information to train its artificial intelligence. When you think about it, yeah, and he says, it tries to make a lot of analogies that may or may not be appropriate, depending on the gravitas of the source material that you give it.
Speaker 1: But it is making incredible strides, quickly, exponential strides. Meta unveiled its most advanced AI video technology as well. It's called movie gen and it can transform text to video from a simple prompt, which can create Hollywood style movie clips.
Speaker 6: I think space wars.
Speaker 2: That's a great idea.
Speaker 1: Tech companies are racing to create AI models that can generate video, and they say, of course that this could spread misinformation online, threatened jobs. You can just not just have the audio, but have the Hollywood style movie clips from just a single prompt.
Speaker 6: That it's we're done, We're done, We're done.
Speaker 2: It's just it's over.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It feels like we're picking up a little bit of speed. Now.
Speaker 6: Man, I'm glad I'm on my way out.
Speaker 2: When's not on my way in? You're wiggling between forty three and forty four.
Speaker 4: Ye, seeing the sunset huh, Yeah, that's what you see out there.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just saying, I mean it's everyone must feel this way when you get overwhelmed with advances and technology and the culture changes and people are into difference. I mean, probably everyone feels that way, like, oh man, if I was a kid today, I would that would be a lot, but probably not.
Speaker 4: Do we have anybody who has made an AI to kill AI? I feel my head starting to hurt. Maybe the chip that they put in my head is turning off now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're controlling.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, creepy when you think it. It's kind of creepy when you think about it. They don't need us.
Speaker 6: I don't even know if we're real. Is Miss Patricia real?
Speaker 2: I've said this over and over again. No, it's kind of creepy when you think about it. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.