Speaker 1: All right, let's get at dry times. Thursday afternoon, fourteen minutes past the hour of two o'clock, we are looking at a spectacular Utah April day. Outside, we're tracking towards seventy seventy two degrees. It is clear and sunny here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. Happy Thursday to you, and as it is every single day, it's going to have you along for the riots fence check. It's beyond the Mike Porter Larsen, beyond the glass, producing and booking the program today, jam packed guest list, a lot of different topics. It's not just a beautiful day in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a beautiful day in Augusta, Georgia, where Justin Rose is having himself a day.
Speaker 2: He leads the Masters right now.
Speaker 1: He's six under par through thirteen holes in the clubhouse. Scottie Scheffler part of is sixty eight for four under par.
Speaker 2: A lot of our really fun storylines already.
Speaker 1: The Canadian Corey Connors is also in the clubhouse with a sixty eight four under par Terrell Hatton. He's through eighteen as well, sixty nine to three under par Rory McElroy's.
Speaker 2: Three under through ten.
Speaker 1: A lot of people believe this is going to be the Scotty and the Rory show, and both those two golfers number one and number two in the world are living up to the billing.
Speaker 2: As of now.
Speaker 1: Freddy Kupples, at the age of sixty one, hold out for an eagle and he is tied for fourteenth.
Speaker 2: At one under par.
Speaker 1: Keeping an eye on, of course, our local golfer Tony Fenow. Unfortunately I'm scrolling down I don't see Tony's name yet. Tony three over seventy five today.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I hate to say it, but that's gonna be tough to come back from.
Speaker 2: Certainly be able.
Speaker 1: To make the cut, but will he have anything to say about this come Sunday.
Speaker 2: That's tough.
Speaker 1: Mike Weir, who's from Canada, not Draper, also three over today and he's in the club basket with a seventy five. Phil Nicholson with a seventy five as well. And we'll keep you up to date on the scoreboard as the eighty ninth playing of the Master Tournament Augusta, Georgia Augusta National Golf Club is underway. After the par three yesterday really fun day. So do a little golf on the show. I'll keep you up to date on the leader board. Utah Jazz gotta win last night. I don't know why. Uh no point, but ultimately a couple of big shots and overtime from Keante George allowed the Jazz to beat the Blazers one thirty three to one twenty six. They honored the longtime PA voice of the Jazz, Dan Roberts, who, after forty six years and over twenty one hundred games, is Colina quits. His final game will be on Friday, as Oklahoma City is in town and the Jazz limping towards the finish line. Uh, you know, the lost last night or the win last night doesn't do a ton to the lottery odds. We'll walk you through those coming up in just a little bit. And I'm sure for a team that is. I think they were one and twenty in their prior twenty one games, with only three or four wins since the All Star break. Simply remembering what it's like to win a basketball game may have been good for these young players. Kyle Philipowski with thirty points, eighteen boards, five assists, three steals. That's a ridiculous stat line. He was thirteen or seventeen from the floor. So we'll do some jazz basketball, we'll do some NBA basketball in the program today. Interesting scenes in Dallas last night as Luka Doncic was in tears during the introductions as the Lakers were in Dallas to take on the MAVs.
Speaker 2: And then he had a cool.
Speaker 1: Forty five eight and six forty five points, eight board, six assists as the Lakers beat the Mavericks one twelve to ninety seven. So we'll get to some NBA storylines on the program today. The Nuggets won their first game with Dave Adelman on the sidelines and not Michael Malone, won twenty four to one sixteen. And we are high speed ahead of the playoffs. Playoff basketball, and the NBA is still great. The regular season can be certainly a little rough, and we've got some big games tonight on the Pro Basketball Slate. The Knicks are in Detroit to take on the Pistons, the Cavs will take on the Pacers, and a big one out West as the Timberwolves and the Grizzlies will do.
Speaker 2: Battle at the Grindhouse.
Speaker 1: The FedEx form in Memphis Tennessee because there are still several questions about what the seeding is going to look like, teams trying to avoid the play in and honestly, teams trying to avoid the eight spot because Oklahoma City is just that good. So some NBA basketball on the program today. Utah football about halfway through springball, a couple of practices this week. I think they've got four practices next week, and then it is the Forever twenty two game coming up on Saturday, April nineteenth. Utah Utes dot com is where you go for tickets. They new hire was made by Alex Jensen and the Utah coaching staff. We'll let you know who that is and talk about it on the show. And of course the latest with BYU throwing money all over the place to attract talent to play for their basketball team. Matt Gan fortunately was cut today Napolis Colts after a very successful stint with the Rams.
Speaker 2: He was given the richest contract.
Speaker 1: In the history of kickers via free agency, and after two years, with two years left on his deal, the Colts cut former mat Gator Day. So we are also high speed ahead of the NFL Draft and about a couple of weeks away from that, Raal salt Lake is on the road taking on Nashville on Saturday. It's six thirty Mountain time. We'll do a little RS on the program after Tommy Boger reported yesterday that RSL is in talks with a striker, European striker. So we'll do some RS on the program as well today. All right, Lock going on, Lock going on. So our first guest right out of the gates will be a good friend of the show who we haven't caught up with in quite some time, Amy Donaldson. Amy Donaldson, our friend from KSL. Then it's Dave mcminnamon, who claims he's not a celebrity reporter.
Speaker 2: You can fool me.
Speaker 1: After all the TV time Dave got last night for the Lakers MAVs game. The head coach of RSL, Pablo Mastro and he stops buying the four o'clock hour, and then the eventsive coordinator and head coach and waiting for the Utah Youth Football program, Morgan Scalley, will join us right off the top of the hour at five o'clock.
Speaker 2: Today, we're going to squeeze a little sports court with.
Speaker 1: Our friends over at Handy and Handy so a jam pack program on this Thursday afternoon as we inch closer and closer to the weekend, but this springtime weather certainly putting wind in my sales.
Speaker 2: Hopefully it's doing the same for you.
Speaker 1: Amy Donaldson, Dave McManaman, Pablo Master, Johnnie Morgan, Scalley and me Spence Check. It's all of you, the great listeners on this beautiful Thursday, and that young man Porter Larson producing the program on this Thursday afternoon. I don't know that I've ever kicked the tires with you on your pro golf consumption? Are you a major golf guy? Do you just tune in when it's close on Sundays? How much pro golf do you consume?
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely a major guy. I watched the Majors intently. If it's Masters, I was up early this morning watching guys golf. I would say historically, my pro golf coverage is like most, It's maybe not most, but it's it's lean towards specific players like Tiger Woods. I watched a lot of Senior Tour because my guy Marko Mira was on that one for a long time, so it kind of depends he's retired. Now there's no, Tiger. I haven't found myself watching golf from a week to week basis with those guys not playing but not missing majors. That's a guarantee. Not watching like the simulator golf, not watching live, not watching the rest of it. But you're if you're playing with the top players in the world and they're all playing together at the same place, I'm tuned in.
Speaker 2: All right, there you go.
Speaker 1: So we'll keep you up to date on the Master of the eighty ninth Plane of the Master's Tournament, Augusta, Georgia, where the conditions are just spectacular and should be all weekend. Long Tony feen out rough round one, we'll see if he can bounce back and at least make the cut to play the weekend. Amy Donaldson will join us livin studio today, but on a Thursday. Before we catch up with our friend Amy, courtesy of our friends at Prize Picks, it is time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Drive with Spence check its on Utah's number one sports talk now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Springtime is here in baseball season is officially underway. Don't miss your chance to add your favorite players from the Diamond into your Prize Picks lineup. Whether it's strikeouts, RBIs are first inning runs, take your pick of more or less for a shot to win up to one thousand times your cash.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: On Prize Picks, you can mix and match player projections from different sports. Combine your favorite baseball players with players from basketball, hockey, e sports, and much more. Download the Prize Picks out today. Use the promo code to ESPN seven hundred to check out. They're going to give you fifty bucks on the house when you play your first five dollars bet. Do not even have to win that five dollars bet to get to fifty. It is curtesy of our friends at Prize Picks. So download the Prize Picks app today. Use that promo code ESPN seven hundred. You get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars line up Prize Picks.
Speaker 2: Run your game all season long.
Speaker 1: I started posting some of my prize picks lineups on my social media accounts.
Speaker 2: Follow me if you want.
Speaker 1: I don't give a rip because ultimately it's an exercise in futility. But I will tell you I played a six player parlay last night, and if Nikola Jokic would have scored two more points, I would have won twelve hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Those are the fun ones, man, the parlays.
Speaker 1: Even though they're dangerous, it's a lot more fun when you win. But I hit five of my six projections, and if Jokic got four more points, I would have won like twelve hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but as it is, I lost one hundred. It's the game.
Speaker 3: It's the game we play.
Speaker 2: That's the deal, prize picks.
Speaker 1: It's fun and you know, if you go about your business the right way, maybe you can win some cash.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: We continue to await word on trying to understand exactly what Alex Jensen's Utah basketball team is going to look like, because you know, we need to understand who the player will be breaking news. You cannot analyze the basketball team if you don't know who.
Speaker 2: The players are. There you go a little peak beyond the curtain.
Speaker 1: How we do our business here, so we know only of a couple of players that are going to be on the roster, but we did find out about another hire today as Alex Jensen has hired Eric Daniels as an assistant coach for the Utah basketball program, which is Alex's third staff member. Raphael Chilius, his lead assistant, was the first hire, Wes Wilcox the GM also in place, and now Eric Daniels to the University of Utah. Eric has been an assistant coach in the state for ten years. He served under Jared Calhoun a Utah State last year. And a lot of people that I know Eric's dad, I know Donnie. I don't know Eric, but a lot of people that know Eric believe this is a good addition based off of his understanding and ties to players here in the state and maybe some players that are in the transfer portal from Utah State or web State. So Eric Salt Lake City native. As I reference his dad, Donnie Daniels, was a longtime assistant coach here and elsewhere. Sixteen years of experience to the program and a lot of work on the recruiting and the player development side, which seems to be a theme so far for Alex's staff, which you understand. Prior to his stint at Utah State, Eric spent five years as an assistant at Weber where he started under the legend himself, Randy Ray, and then he was the top assistant under Eric Duff. Prior to that, he worked with Mark Pope at Utah Valley and that was a very successful run for Mark. Of course partlaid that into the BYU job, and now he's in Lexington with one of the best jobs in college basketball coaching Kentucky.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: In twenty fourteen, Eric spent a year with the Orlando Magic basketball ops staff. Began his coaching career at Southern Utah five seasons at Regis University, so he has been around.
Speaker 2: For a little bit.
Speaker 1: And of course his dad, Donnie Daniels, a legend around here. So Eric Daniels officially out of d Alex Jensen's staff. So we have Raphael Chillis, we have Wes Wilcox, we have Eric Daniels, we have Ko Dawes, we have Terrence Brown, and we're waiting to hear news about other players outed to the fold. So a lot of rumors going on right now about both Utah and BYU trying to add players. According to the reports that are out there, BYU is preparing another big time nil offer for a transfer portal guard out of Baylor.
Speaker 2: We'll talk more about that.
Speaker 1: The reports are that AJ the Bans is getting seven million bucks for five seven million dollars for five months of basketball, and you know they're trying to bring Richie Saunders back on a.
Speaker 2: Seven figure deal as well.
Speaker 1: BYU, no matter what they want to say or no matter what they're sending out on social media, is throwing money all over the place and out bidding the other highest bidders for some of the best talent in the country. The spin they're going to put on it is people just want the BYU experience. So do I for seven million, pay me seven mill all move to provo for five months. This is about money, regardless of the spin that you're hearing from folks that work for BYU. We'll get back to this up in a bit and we'll give you a master's update as well. But coming up on the other side, one of our friends who joins the show from time to time, maybe Donaldson will join us live in studio.
Speaker 2: Move over to Dave McManaman who was.
Speaker 1: On site last night as Luka Doncis was back in Dallas playing for the Los Angeles Lakers Pablo mash Jo II RSL head coach in preparation for the Nashville Nashville match coming up on Saturday. Amy Donaldson is live in studio, which hasn't happened for quite some time on this beautiful Thursday afternoon.
Speaker 2: So we have a lot to get to with our friend Amy. Amy. Happy Thursday. How are you?
Speaker 5: Thank you? I'm good. It's been so long. I don't know how to work at pair of headphones.
Speaker 1: Those headphones aren't I mean, we got other options. I'm not a big fan of those, but they were just plugged in.
Speaker 5: Hey with a child size head too. It doesn't help. So, yeah, boy, I can never wear hats. I have to wear a hat that has like a bel crew. I can't wear a trucker hat.
Speaker 2: Oh one of those. Okay, well you got to figure it out.
Speaker 5: Are you doing.
Speaker 2: I've been good, been good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, I've just been traveling a bunch stuff about writing and podcasting and very nice back from cargo. Went to podcast evolutions and yeah, trying to figure out this. How do you make money in media business, you know, which is crazy because when I started in the nineties, the only business it was more profitable than being in media was pharmaceuticals, really, and that changed by the end of the nineties. Yes, it did drastically thanks to the Internet.
Speaker 2: Yes it did.
Speaker 5: And so what I watched in print journalism I'm now seeing in broadcast media. As you know, beloved radio loses terrestrial radio loses listeners every year they age. But yeah, it's been, so it's been. I've never worried about, like, how do you make money at this. I've just I'll go somewhere do good work and they'll hire me, right right. Yeah, it's not enough anymore.
Speaker 1: Well it's not enough in the NBA either, because good coaches are suddenly losing jobs. Altogether. It's it's pretty wild. But what what we won't do a lot of Michael Malone content today? Amy, What what has your attention as of late outside, Like are there any projects you're consuming right now or working on right now or or are you just kind of still learning the space and then deciding your next step.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I have I have a long list of I never, I never don't have a pride, So right now I'm working on a project about international students. I think we've talked about my reporting and I'm working on some stories and then eventually it will be a podcast about international students that come here to play mostly at private schools, and sort of what their experience is like and how that affects you know, local schools and local athletes, and also what it means to you know, college and the pro game. So you know, the number two pick in the w NBA draft was an international student who went to a small Christian school I believe in Tennessee. You know, it was down south somewhere, and yeah, it's really more and more. Now we have some issues like I don't know if you saw the freshman from Duke who who is here from South Sudan. He has a South Sudan passport, he has a family actually lived most of his life in Ghana, and now he's maybe gonna have to leave the country and they have to figure out that visa situation for him, because all South Sudanese people here on a visa, anyone, any visa holder or i'm sorry, passport holder from South Africa South Sudan has been told they have to leave self deport So.
Speaker 1: He's in a situation because he's going to be like a top eight pick.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that was that was that was that was you know, I'm sure that they'll work it out. But I remember when I was doing the research on the RSL podcast, making up a moment, one of the things that I talked to like uh Kurt Schmid and and you know some of the others about it's so much of it is visa management. Who's who needs a visa, who has a pastor you know, where do they live And a lot of times when a family and we you know, look at Yannish, his family fled from his home kind of tree, Nigeria to Greece and he had a Greece path you know, passport from Greek. He's a Greek citizen, right. But there just there are these complications now that all these games are international games, and then you have world politics that impact it. I mean I saw it during the Olympics when Russia invaded Crimea in twenty fourteen. You had athletes who their home was in Crimea and it was really difficult to when those political you know, the happenings then impact whether or not players or athletes can do what they that's I think it was twenty eighteen when they began a refugee team. That was the first time they had a refugee team. Or actually I take that back, it was in Reo. Yeah, that they had a refugee team.
Speaker 2: Actually showed pretty well. They played okay if I remember correctly.
Speaker 5: So the thing that was fascinating about that was, you know, one of the they let us interview a bunch of them. I'd never seen anything like it, right, and there was I mean, I would say I would argue the last ten years we've had a massive refugee crisis in the world, right, huge millions and millions of people shifting to other places because of war, because of famine, because of really corrupt leadership, right. And so you had the IOC had these athletes who their countries either couldn't or wouldn't participate in the games, and so they created this refugee team. And it was really interesting because the politics were really anti refugee. But the IOC, which is not really what I would say is a leader, a thought leader, as my College of the Desert and News would say, they weren't really out in front of things. So they but they had these athletes and one of the women was a swimmer, and she had Carrie, like she pulled the little raft her family and a bunch of other people that they knew from, you know, their community, their town or whatever. But she had pulled them the last couple of her sister swam and pulled them the last bit into into Greece and it was Yeah, it was incredible and really just what they had been through, it was really hard to focus on sports. Yeah, Like you're like, oh, you're a swimmer, Like what's your best time, what's your favorite you know, stroke, whatever you or how do you psych yourself up for a race? Like all the normal things you might look at were they just seemed so dumb. You know. It was like the difference between you know, knowing someone's you know, real life story and knowing what their favorite food is. Yeah, that's how I feel. Sports is when we really figure out how much we how little we know about these athletes that we love or cover whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it puts a lot of things in a perspective as well. You know, when you realize what a lot of these athletes go through just to be able to compete and just to be you know, be able to be a part of it, you know. And I think the American attitude is what's the metal count? Right, Like how many golds have we won?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Why are you showing me the story about this person?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: The country?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 5: But you know the thing that was really interesting was how much it meant to these communities. I mean when you I mean think about the times we've had moments here right after nine to eleven or never forget that World Series after nine eleven was like not a thing you sit through every single game or whatever, but it was so galvanizing, right, And so I think that that was what I saw was you know, just this little you know, twenty year old swimmer or you know, there was a weightlifter. They're just they just did different sports, right. There was judo, and they were just giving people hope who really were just trying to get through another day. They didn't have food, they didn't have medicine, they didn't you know. It was it was especially the refugees from Syria. It was heartbreaking. I mean I really like went back to my room and was like, I think I need to revaluate my entire life predecision I've ever made, I don't know, you know, it's hard. Yeah, but then I just tried to focus on the fact that they were giving them this opportunity and I believe they still do that, and then it was just fun to be part of telling that story. And I would say I'm pretty critical of the IOC and most managing bodies, but that was one where I thought, Okay, this was this was a really beautiful thing that they did.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, the amount of corruption is impossible to ignore, and it's every year, every cycle, whether it's winter or summer, and it happened here in two thousand and two. You know, there's really no exception. It just seems like every time there is some international event, and the World Cup's the same way.
Speaker 2: But it's everything that a few months after.
Speaker 1: The fact you find out all of these really nefarious things that have gone on in the name of logging in about the games.
Speaker 5: You know, the wa to the drug testing, like you know, don't don't go after these people or don't do you know what I mean? Like that, it just seems like there's always some some scandal or some somebody's buying their way out or into something, and you're just there king like this is amazing the world's coming together. The athletes have you know, worked their whole life to get on this stage. And then you realize this stage is sort of made up of you know, bought stolen and corruption and stuff like that. But you think still like there's an there's a thread of it, there's an essen, it has an essence of something beautiful. There are so many greats. Like the first woman to win a judo medal was from the favelas in Rio, and I went to the favelas and spend some time. Yeah, my so, my cousin is married to a woman from Rio. Her mom does a bunch of works. So she said, you know, do you want to go? So one of my case all colleagues and I went, and then I went again with her on a service project. But you know, they don't have running wat. I mean, the conditions they live in are probably not as good as some of the dogs that i've I've adopted out.
Speaker 2: Well, you do take care of your dogs very well.
Speaker 5: Not me. I mean some of these like my nephew and his wife, their dogs have their own bad room, they have.
Speaker 2: Their own own bedroom.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't even it's beautiful. It's really Wow, most children would like this room. It's decorated. Yeah, and then I go to this little house where it's really like a closet size of no running water, and they're they're offering me coffee. You know, they just they're just they were just it was just and I just thought, you know, really, I think the thing that I take away from all these experiences, you know, happiness is a choice. You know, you're always going to be waiting on something.
Speaker 1: Yep, happiness, And that's you know, it's it's ironic for a lot of reasons. You bring that up because currently you know, that's a dynamic. Like I talked to my son about who's twenty three going on twenty four, and he's in the real world, and it's funny, this weird dynamic. When you're young, all you can do is think about how excited you are to finish school get in the real world. Then you get in the real world, you start working, you realize what bills are and I just had to walk them through how to do you how to do his taxes and he's like, Dad, this this adulting stuff isn't all it's cracked up to me. So day in and day out, just remembering and the stories you're sharing about you know, folks that certainly are less fortune than most of us give you perspective where every day you can't choose what you focus on.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 5: And I also think that, like it's the way you look at fortune too, right, Like, so less fortunate is definitely the way I would have seen it. But like when you interview them and you talk to them about what they're doing and why they're doing it and what they're bringing to their communities, you go, gosh, maybe they're more fortunate than me, just you know what I mean, the purpose the police they have now in their country, in their community. And I would say, like I read an article about Cooper Flag because my nephew is a jazz fan and he's obsessed. All my nephews are. He's obsessed with the draft and this is all we can discuss now, right right, we just sit through this season. We had a little mini pack because he just got station at Hill Air Force, bass in the Air Force and he's just been a jat dieheard my brother in law bought one of the old chairs from the old Delta Center.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 5: He lives in Alaska. He's a a police officer in Alaska. But yeah, so bit I read this article and I was texting. We were texting back and forth, and did you see the post game where where Cooper was just devastating?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so I mean we're used to that, Like we've seen that.
Speaker 2: I've seen that was a tough way to lose too, by Yeah, oh.
Speaker 5: My gosh, So I've seen you know what, You've just seen people's heartbreak in a million different ways, right, Like watching Nicole pikes pace the first time I saw her in twenty ten when she lost out on a medal after she came back from a horrific accident where the bob slid hit her and busted her leg, like she probably shouldn't have even been doing sports again. But she came back from that, gets to the Olympics in twenty ten, and she'd already qualified when she got hit by the bob slied. That's wild and best in the world, and you know, you don't know is your window closing? Right in athletics, it's always about as much about timing as it is your talent. But then she comes back and she loses out like by a tenth of a second. It's like literally a blink of it, not yeah and so, and you just like, how do you not replay that in your mind for the rest of your life? Like am I that unlucky? Or was I lucky that I came back and I got to compete and I was fourth?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Right, So it's all this perspective thing. But I read this article about Cooper flat somebody was it was a column and opinion piece, but I liked it because it was about I hope there's somebody. We're so fixated on the next big thing, and now it's children. These are the next big Look at AJ debands, debands, who's going to BYU? It's there's always this, and now it's children. So it was nineteen and twenty year olds, now with one and done it is it is always it's a kid, and so there's no time for them. I mean, none of us do well through puberty. Okay, we all have a rough time. It is. It is really rough.
Speaker 1: It's it's rough when you're going through it, and then it's rough when you watch your children go through it because you know how they're feeling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's rough when you like you just see that everyone doesn't have the grace that they probably deserve. And then you have this the spotlight. Like I always thought, oh, thank god I didn't grow up during you know, Instagram and all this stuff, right, But now I see these young men and women who are in high school millions of dollars at stake and they're being asked to make millions of dollars for other people, and fans are just out of control and they have access to the you know, the immediate access to everything. And this article is basically saying, I hope somebody in his life lets him be a kid, takes him back and says, you know, this is not the pinnacle of your life. It is not the thing that you should define yourself with. But you know, learn from it, grow from it like like our parents would. But it's just on such a massive stage. There's so much at stake that it you couple normal teenage there are no mo Hills with actually millions of dollars mistake. Yeah, and you have like it's a perfect storm for absolute horrific mental health problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I remind people, like if you watch Cooper flag play, like what a mature adult because of the way he approaches the game. Cooper reclassified and should be a senior in high school. He turned eighteen like four months ago, you know, and he is already being anointed as the next whatever it is, whether it's Utah or Charlotte or Washington or half a third of the NBA is losing on purpose to try to get this kid.
Speaker 5: And not just that, but they're debating whether or not he will be the greatest one and done or not right because he didn't win. And you know, how do you like this debate about you? And you're just out here trying to live your life.
Speaker 1: Well and at that age too, Amy, because really, in the history of pro basketball eighteen year olds coming into the league and looking like they belong, that list is one and it's Lebron.
Speaker 5: I was going to say, the only one that I thought that that's a man is Lebron.
Speaker 1: So like Garnett came into the league at eighteen and looked okay early on.
Speaker 2: I can remember Garnett's rookie year.
Speaker 1: The All Star weekend was in San Antonio and Patrick Ewingion made it. So we went and I can remember the elevator opening because everybody was excited about Garnet a big ticket. You know, this high school kid, Fairchild Academy, you know, manchild.
Speaker 2: He walked out of the elevator. I remember thinking, like, he is a baby. I mean, yes, he was six ten, but he was really skinny.
Speaker 5: I just remember, like that's what I remember. I thought. I thought the same thing, like, oh, he's so mature physically mature, right, because you watch him play and then you see him next to an NBA Yeah, veterany baby, Holy crap. I hope he doesn't get hit.
Speaker 1: So the expectation for Cooper to roll into Utah or Charlotte or Washington and suddenly change everything is something I pushed back on. It's not because I don't think he's awesome.
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 1: It's because I've watched eighteen year olds come into the league. It's not just can you translate the skill set to playing in the pros. It's everything else you have to deal with as a person, where suddenly an entire city is like you're we are relying on you.
Speaker 2: You're the answer to our prayers. And that's a lot to put on an eighteen year.
Speaker 5: Old one hundred percent. And it's not like it's like there's economics involved, right, you know, these people's they're living, you know you're And I remember a football coach telling me with, uh, there was a freshman and he was a super mature kid and but and a really good player. And uh. I remember saying to him, like, he's fourteen, Like these girls were like hanging out the football practice trying to like, oh, you think he wants to go to dance with me? Like normal stuff, right, but I would consider to be normal. And he's like, yeah, you want to doing that. This is a job. You're going to focus And I was like, at the age of fourteen, but you also have to be a kid and so and look, it's worse than soccer. Look at I mean I talked to Justin Glad. His life has been his job, right right, and I think he loves it. I don't think he would change a single thing about it. Sure, But like that existence is I don't even know how you really to that if you've had this other experience where you you know, played fifteen sports or you know, you just didn't know how to find yourself good at you know what I mean? Like, I look at the focus and the commitment, the level of discipline that that is required of athletes in sports now, I mean I just read an article about women's basketball. Women's basketball has never been more popular than right now, even though the viewership is down from last year in the final four or from the championship game, I would say, top to bottom, you know, every league is getting more media attention, they're getting more financial investment. Everything's just better across the board. Right But I read an article from a youth basketball website that I or a newsletter that I subscribe to. They said the participation of the best athletes in women's basketball is declining, and the reason is club sports. If you're playing, you can play club soccer at like six, You can start club volleyball at like eight, you know, and so basketball which used to be like you used to do it, volleyball in the fall, basketball in the winter, maybe track and fill or softball in the spring. Right now they I remember when they started having the tryouts for club volleyball the day after the state tournament in Utah, and I remember thinking, this is this is a mistake. This is going to mess it up because now those girls are going to choose volleyball over basketball. They're gonna have to make a choice. Oh no, no, we're going to do this because the coaches who were coaching at the time had played multiple sports. But now you have coaches who had not played multiple sports, who don't care about multiple sports, who think you have to commit. And I still hear people saying this, play a lot of sports, you know. I heard Peyton Manning say play two or three sports, and everybody's advocating for that. You don't know what the world is like in youth sports right now. If your kid is not and if I pay four or five thousand dollars for my kid to play club soccer, club volleyball, there's no way I want risking let her play for the local high school basketball team where she may or may not play where she may it hurt. I mean, the sport with the highest amount of concussions in high school. It's not football. It's girls soccer.
Speaker 2: Really, yes, I.
Speaker 5: Know, cheerleading is number two, my friend, which makes sense?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah it does.
Speaker 1: And actually soccer and I didn't know this until we brought the club here. The tremendous amount of concussions, you know, that's why you see some players wearing the head gear. That's why you see some players leaving early.
Speaker 5: Don't remember when Tuccho on the header, you know, I mean that was a vicious issues.
Speaker 2: And last week, I don't know if you saw this.
Speaker 1: I think it was Walker Zimmerman, who is a defenseman for the US men's national team. I want to say he plays for Nashville.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: He went in with his head to try to clear a ball that was crossed in via cornerkick, and the striker saw the opportunity to take a bicycle kick and he kicked Walker square in the face. And I was watching him like he's dead. Somebody check on him, like it was gnarly. So, yeah, the concussion thing in soccer is real. But it's interesting you bring up like Justin Glad in the soccer dynamic, because Justin Glad is a success story where the path between five and six years old to a pro life is riddled with bodies along the highway of kids that were forced into things by their parents. And I was looking this up because Malcolm Gladwell wrote Outliers in two thousand and eight and had a tremendous amount of compelling data about ten thousand hours and how he used the Canadian hockey ecosystem as his blueprint, and I remember reading it thinking like I need to get my son into something now so he can get ten thousand hours by the time he's a junior in high school so he can play high school basketball or whatever it is. So I listened to a podcast last year and it really was compelling. It was Andras Erickson and David Burkis. It was on the ESPN platform where this ten thousand hour rule has been completely deep because of the factor that most people miss out on, and that is, yes, you need reps, and yes, if you get to ten thousand hours, and if you do something consistently, you're going to be good at it. But you're not going to get to ten thousand hours unless you enjoy the endeavor, unless you enjoy the work. So what Malcolm Gladwell left out and parents I think don't fully maybe understand, is yes, it's fine to push your children to succeed, but you need to give them opportunities to find out what they love to do, and then when they land on something, then yes, encourage them. If you have the financial means pay for club soccer, if they want to play golf, it's expensive, but you know, if they love it, and if you want to see them succeed at it, they need to spend hours doing it. But if they don't love what they're doing, they're going to burn out before they're fifteen or sixteen years old. And parents push these kids with this ten thousand hour mark in mind, like, Okay, if I can get little Johnny to ten thousand hours, maybe get a college scholarship or play it, you know, make some money via nil. But unless your child loves what they're doing, you're going to burn them out.
Speaker 5: But I would say you should not be pushing them anyway. Number one, how many people picked their career at age eight? You know?
Speaker 2: Very few?
Speaker 5: No. I remember my kid wanted to be a spy. You know she's a therapist.
Speaker 2: Now ten thousand hours is a spy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my youngest daughter wanted to be a singer. You know, they don't know what they want to be. You. I mean, I wanted to be an astronaut, and then I wanted to be president, and then I wanted to be the president of the Mormon Church. Do you that can work out?
Speaker 2: Do you still want to be president? Is that not at all?
Speaker 5: Not at all? But so that as I'm saying, like, you don't know, you just pick things.
Speaker 2: Steven A. Smith is apparently looking for a running mate.
Speaker 7: Amy.
Speaker 2: I think he could be great at that.
Speaker 5: I don't think I could run with Stephen A. Smith. We would be fighting more than a married couple. There's no way.
Speaker 2: But I so you wanted your career arc was astronaut.
Speaker 5: Then my dad said, you don't have to do math if you want to be an astronaut.
Speaker 1: So then you decide you want to be president. And then you wanted to be the prophet of the church.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they were like, yeah, there's problem with that. But but the president thing was kind of the polotics thing didn't really die till college. But but I think you know, my point is, I would say, if I had something to do over again, there's two things I would do differently. One of I was never rescue my kids from painful situations. I didn't do it a lot, but I did it enough that they keep looking. It's I do dog training, as you know. And one of the things that I found is if you do a lot of obedience, the dog doesn't how to make a decision unless you tell them what to do. Interesting, and I find this is very true in life. If you give people, if you say this is the way, everything has to be and you give everyone directions, and there's so much structure that nobody knows how to make a choice. A they don't have confidence in their own decision making ability, and B they don't have resilience. What gives you resilience? What gave me resilience? A lot of failure. I didn't make a lot of things I tried out for. Do you know how terrified I was for my kids to try out for things, how much I didn't either want them to try out or I wanted to make sure they would try out for something that I knew they could make for sure. And so I think that as a parent, I really really regret that the number of times I either push them in a direction where I knew they would succeed or I discourage Let's not do club soccer. That's a lot of money. It will impact our vacations. We like to travel. And I wish I had pushed them to I had encouraged them to fail to try things that they might or probably would fail. One of my favorite athletes is Jared Campbell, who ran the Barklay's an ultrarunner, and he says he doesn't do anything professionally unless he's pretty sure he's going to fail. Interesting, And to me, that's the opposite mindset that I have always had. I didn't want to do anything and unless I was pretty sure I was going to succeed. And just interviewing him, just seeing what he's done and seeing what he's able to accomplish. He's done something nobody else has and in finishing the Barkleys Marathon four times. But he's also like just an incredible human being. Right, Because what failure does is it teaches you about limits and about your own Like you think you know what rock bottom is, you don't know until you suffer. You don't know until you fail. You don't know until you have pain, right, and if you are insulated from all of that. I mean, it's just you know, I'm working. I'm in a little story group, working on a couple of projects. And the most boring stories are the people who don't have anything, like everything is good, I'm great. The people who come in and like I just got out of prison for selling drugs and now I'm clean ten years or whatever. They're interesting that you know, how did that happen? How did you pull yourself out of that? Right's the That's the thing I would say if I was to do sports over again with my kids, I didn't push enough because I didn't want them to fail.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's very natural, to be honest with you. I think it resonates with me. It resonates with me as far as how I was when I was younger. I'd never wanted to do anything unless I was good at it, you know, because you don't want to be embarrassed or vulnerable or whatever.
Speaker 2: But we will catch a break.
Speaker 1: Amy Donaldson is Live and studio raut to you today by friends at IFA Country Stores. It is warm, spring is here. If you've not thought about your lawn yet, well it's time to think about it now. So IFA Country Stores has everything you need to care for your lawn, no matter its size or shape. Their four plus law care program can promote a healthy, green lawn for you this summer. They're the same products used at many local sports fields, golf courses and city parks. You can consult the IFA's team of experts for your yard this season. Visit them online at IFA dot co op er stop by one of the eighteen Utah stores today. IFA Country Stores helping to grow the things that you love more with Amy Donaldson live in studio coming up on the other side right here on ESPN seven hundred ninety two NFM. We are proud to be part of Utah's ESPN Radio network.
Speaker 2: You're tuned to the Drive with Spence Checkets. This is ka L North Salt Lake k x R k HD three ESPN seven hundred and ninety two to one FM.
Speaker 1: Have a day justin Rose, goodness, gracious, eight par through sixteen holes. He has four shots clear of Scottie Scheffler and Corey Conners who are in the clubhouse.
Speaker 2: At sixty eight.
Speaker 1: Rory McElroy off to a good start three hundred par through twelve Unfortunately, Tony feenou Cards is seventy five today and that is good for three over par, which is tied for sixty fifth. Tony is going to have to have a dynamite second round just to play in the weekend because Augusta National is a very unforgiving golf course. Sammy Donaldson is live in studio. We were just talking about the h the magic of owning a dog, the magic of owning a K nine, and we'll get back to the sports stuff for a moment, but our station, mascot Duke is in studio and he's been attached to my hip now for quite some time.
Speaker 2: For listeners out there.
Speaker 1: That have never experienced what it's like to own a dog, and not just any dog, but like the dog, the one that gets you.
Speaker 5: So they call him the sole dog.
Speaker 2: The soul dog. Okay, and that's who I have here.
Speaker 1: What what's it like for you, you know, as somebody who has raised dogs continues to foster dogs, when you find that that sole dog, what sort of benefits does that bring me?
Speaker 5: I mean, I think all of the dogs. I've had a lot of dogs in my life, and I have, you know, dogs for me have just they've allowed me a freedom that as a girl, when I was young and as a woman, I don't always have. You can go for a dog at night and probably feel fine about it. I can't do that. I have to have a dog. And so I remember and the first dog I had as an adult on my own, my dad had saved a dog from euthanasia in Bethel, Alaska, and I went up to visit him lived in this little apartment and the dog he lived in this two bedroom place. And you know, I said, can I have this dog, and I was living by myself in an apartment and it's the dog a lot. I could go running any time I wanted. And Shelby was a retriever. She was not going to protect me. Probably licked somebody, sure, But when you have a big dog who is a police officer and runs, you know, said, oh, I run with you. She If you run with a big dog, you don't have to worry about anybody comeing near you. So they don't know if your dog is friendly or whatever. Right, But yeah, it's just allowed me to get out. But yeah, when you find for me, the dogs are the thing I love about them is they're They're incredibly indulgent of the bad stuff. They forgive, they get over stuff. They have a sense of emotional They have an emotional intelligence that some animals don't have. That they don't that you don't have to explain things to them, you know. I remember my daughters. We hit a brought Wiler Retriever mix named Wolf, who's I just last last May. He's the best. He's the best like emotional support dog I've ever had.
Speaker 2: Soul dog.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean Lucy got me in the mountains, my healer, she was my running buddy. But Wolf is all the fosters. I didn't know I was going to foster after him because he just makes everyone feel at ease. And you know there are people like that. We just I remember my first real job in college, and I thought I was very uncomfortable. I felt very isolated. Was by far, I think it was by ten years the youngest person in the building. And I just remember meeting a guy from out in the back. I was working at a glass company and he just was such a nice, warm human being that you felt an energy of love right and he married a woman who was very similar. And so there's these people who just put other people at ease. You know, They're just people who just in your in their presence, you just feel calmer and just like, Okay, this is going to be I'm fine, I don't have to impress this person. That's the way a dog is. And yeah, I joke around all the time about my dog, Sula. She's my Rottweiller I rescued from South Severe shelter a couple of years ago. When she looks at me man talking about true love, I feel like, you know in the Princess Bride that that romance in the Princess Bride a movie. That is how I feel. Yeah, whatever you want, ma'am.
Speaker 2: It's great. Where would you send people to adopt the Humane Society or.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'd say you can go to any shelter all like right now in shelter and Rescue is ridiculously terrible situation there. In fact, I just saw there's a shelter I think I think it's in Las Vegas. It might be just over the border in Nevada. They are looking for people to help them. They're trying to remodel a building that doesn't meet code and they need like I don't. I think it was like twenty four animals to go to foster or be adopted, and there's just nowhere for I have two fosters at my house. One i've had since July, when I've had since August, two black labs. They're amazing. I can't figure out why they haven't been adopted. We had a couple of dogs from a hoarding situation that did get adopted in the last month, but cause caws dot Org. But you can go on petfinder dot Com and just put in I want a small dog, I want a big dog. I want a girl dog. I want to you know, whatever you want. We're having an event on Saturday. I'm trying to remember where it's at. It's a different one. We did one tonight. They're at the front climbing gym, cause at the front you can get information.
Speaker 2: There is that up on thirty third. Is that a climbing gyp there's.
Speaker 5: One on thirty third. No, that's not that's a that's a different one. It's on thirteenth and like third West, Like it's right, Yeah, I was going to see where our event is this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Duke has this.
Speaker 1: My dog has this tendency where whenever he jumps in the car he puts his paw on my arm and then cuddles his head onto my shoulder, And it's like, I could be having the worst day those like, you know, five to ten minutes as I'm driving from my house to the studio, when he just wants to cut it. I like, it's I'm telling you. It is a game changer. So if you're had a tough time and you're looking for potentially a solution that could help, I would encourage you to adopt or go find a dog that can make a difference in your life.
Speaker 2: All right, you have from STARSL.
Speaker 1: We find ourselves in a very interesting place with this little soccer club, and you know we will hear an announcement. I think in the next couple of weeks that the Miller family has purchased a controlling stake. I'm not sure where the percentage are going to look like. Ryan Smith will be out and then the Blitzer group will maintain their portion of control, which I think is good because you want to maintain the relationship. I'm a big Dave Blitzer guy, and I think the Blitzer group, with their ties to all of the clubs they own across the landscape of soccer throughout the world, is a good thing for ourself to be a part of. I worked for the Millers for seven years, had a really, really great experience. I'm a big fan of Steve Starks, and you're not going to find anybody better than Gail. I don't think Ryan ever really cared to be involved, and I think the hockey thing, combined with basketball and now whatever else he has going on, probably is more of a priority priority for him, and that's fine. I just don't think the promises that were made initially wherever you know, cashed in, wherever executed. I guess whatever you want to say. What are your thoughts on where we find ourselves? Yet again another ownership transition structure for Rails all the.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I actually thought it was a great I mean, I've had nothing but good experiences with the Millers. So let me just tell you a Larry Miller story. Okay, when I was covering the Bees, Joe Busus owned them, and the locker room was brutal. I would go after games, I had to get permission. They would yell fire in the hole. Then I would be allowed to walk in the back door and people would drop their towels. And I was at the time thirty two, thirty one or thirty two year old, you know, woman with a couple of kids, a couple of step kids. So it wasn't that I cared about the nakedness, expected to see that in locker room, not a problem. It was the deliberate attempts to harass me, to undermine me, to just let me know it wasn't welcome there. Yeah, and I talked with a few people about it. Completely separate from that, I always really hated I had different experiences at hockey. When I was covering the Grizzlies, I had to rely on Brett Prettyman from the Like Tribune to go get me people to interview and bring them into the hallway because I was not allowed in the locker room, okay, And nobody would fight that back like I would fight. I would argue. They were like, yeah, you can't go in. No, and so you know, it's it's disrespectful to our players. We don't want to do it. Whatever. When they did let me in one time to do a feature story, they kind of played a joke on me and the player. They told me to go in this room and it was a bathroom and he was using the bathroom, going number two. And it was like pretty humiliating for both of us. So when I started, it was two thousand, two thousands, so it would have been early two thousands and yeah, and so you know, but Bratt was great. But I mean, I kept saying, like, I'm relying on my competition to bring me people to interview this. This is not an ideal situation. And then in the case of baseball, the Tribune reporter could go in and hang out and he would be describing scenes when they would get a new player, he would have you know, dinners sometimes beers with the guys, like bonding with them, hear things, know things. Just had a different level of intimacy with the players that I just didn't how am I going to do that? And I remember when I started in journalism, I asked my mentor, Mike Carter, who was, you know, the best crime reporter? Everybody said he's the best ever was learn from him. He was an AP. I got hired by EP and his advice to me was, Okay, so after the shift, be where, he said, be where they are, go over to the cop shop, hang out whatever. But when their ship's end, you know, invite him over to the bar and get them and buy them a beer and get them talking and just get to know them. And I was like, I'm twenty two years old. Yeah, if I invite someone to get a beer after work, what do you think they think? Lost?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Sure?
Speaker 5: And you know that's where when you're working like male dominate things like people don't even think about it. And I remember being in a jazz game once and I think it actually Cameronnie may have been there for this, but we were I was just filling in for Jody, and everybody was like talking about where they were going to go afterwards. We're going to go get a drink. Do you want to go with or whatever? And I didn't want to go, but like, I think somebody noticed that they had invited pretty much everybody in the room but me, and I remember some one of them, and it would have been Fulk or Cameroni would have said something, and I was like, I don't want to go anyway, It's okay, but like it's it's just you're at a competitive disadvantage, right, So I asked. So I was interviewing Larry about this softball tournament that he was bringing to Utah, like World Championship Fast Pitch Softball Tournament. I was out at his office in Sandy and then we did the interview, which every time I had, like when he had the WNBA, I went over chatted with them for a minute. He invited me to sit with them every time I talked to him. Couldn't have been more accommodating, gave me way more than I ever asked for, right, And so after we finished the interview, I said, Hey, can I talk to you about something that's bothering me as a reporter covering the baseball because he had they had purchased the baseball team. And I explained it to him, and I said, personally, I think it's disrespectful to players and to journalists that we have to do this in a locker room. We're not getting good interviews. Nobody's talking to us because they're trying to get dressed and get out of there. Isn't there a way we could do this differently? There's no other business that asked you to talk to people who are not dressed, right, it just doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: Well, ye, yes, there's no other business. We need to discuss on it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, Well no business I would like to work in.
Speaker 6: Sure.
Speaker 5: But so he was like and he immediately solved that problem by doingreat. And I remember at first with like this room that they had, it was kind of austere and I don't know what it was originally supposed to be used for, but like didn't have good lighting. They just put a table with a table throw or it. But they figured it out right, But they decided to do this and take action and basically said, we don't want journalists in the locker room that's the team's space, and we will make them available. You tell us who you want, you know, you tell us when you need them. They gave us a little bit before time, a little bit after time, and you know, I think there were people who were a little bit upset about it at first, But for me, it was not just about leveling the playing field for journalists. It's really about like what are you there for? I mean, are you there to overhear conversation, to be involved in gossip to you know, like, how much does it matter that you can describe a scene at a locker where someone's getting dressed versus being able to have an actual conversation where they can think about what you're asking them and you can have a much more meaningful exchange. Yeah, you know, I mean, I know, if I'm half dressed, I'm not gonna be thinking about what I'm talking to San. I'm be thinking about am I covered? Is there a TV camera around? How long is this going to last? What am I obligated to do? There was just a controversy about this in golf with the after interviews trying to remember who it was, but I think it was McElroy who defended the other golfer saying that we don't have to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Oh callin MORICWI.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, And there was this whole idea, and I've never felt like I know there are requirements for athletes to come and talk to media. I know there are like media, and without them, some athletes would never talk to us. But I think I feel I don't want to interview somebody who doesn't want to talk to me. And I know that there except other people feel differently. They're not politicians, they're athletes. They play games for money, and do I think that they should want to talk to us, Yes, But I also feel like this is more the situation where you work with someone you're comfortable with. Most people I talk to, I say, find a journalist you trust, find people you are comfortable working with, and really, you know, work on a good understanding. You help them, they can help you. I don't always. I see sometimes journalism as much more transactional. You give me what I want, and I'm going to go and do what I want with it, and I don't really care about you, like I feel like you owe me this. Anytime there's entitlement or like this feeling of being owed something I don't think it's a good energy for the exchange. But so while I do think that in principle McElroy the golfers were right, I think the journalists that are there need to rethink, like, how are we interacting with them that makes them feel like if they are not obligated to do it, Because dealing with the media, it doesn't just help you. It helps your league, it grows your sport, it helps it's there are things that are happening. You know, Tony Fanow you've mentioned him, had an exchange with a young woman, a who is a cancer survivor as a child. He's a golfer now, and you know, I can't I think it was one of my friends when a journalists who shared the video. But there's super uplifting, right, and that doesn't do much for Tony. I mean, maybe it makes Tony look good, but it also makes the game of golf look good. It also makes the tour look good. It also encourages people into the sport. There's a lot of reasons that you want good, positive interactions with media. I just think they're difficult to find. But that's a long and way got way wider than I expected. No, it's fine, Larry Miller.
Speaker 1: It's great to hear that Larry was open to finding a solution for you, you know, because I'm sure a lot of people in his position just wouldn't have been like, I don't really need to do this.
Speaker 5: For you, right, No, a lot of people. I had talked to a lot of people and they were like, well, this is how we've always done it. Yeah, And I'm like, okay, but it's not nineteen fifty, right, so can we do it differently? I mean, even things that are not problematic, Like I remember being in the jazz locker room and Paul millsapp decided he didn't want there was a we were all cuddled around somebody else. I don't remember who it was, but he decided he was annoyed that we were He couldn't get to his locker right right, so he just dropped his towel and bent over just because it's a locker room, okay. And we have a buddy Ken Kevin.
Speaker 2: Graham KG the MIDI ticket.
Speaker 5: He like hurried and got in front of me, like my honor was at stake here, and he's like, oh you know what, And he was like, Amy, you basically apologize to me, and I was like, Kevin, why are you not doing this for the other people in the room, right? Like you know what I mean? It just exacerbates a dynamic that's already puts us at a disadvantage. But also like Paul should be able to get to his locker and get dressed right, right, And I don't agree with the way he handled it.
Speaker 1: But I so I'm just curious to get your take though on this ownership transition, because I actually think, you know, Gail walks the walk. You know, a lot of people in her position talk about like Utah this and I love the community that it's like, no, you don't, dude, you're doing this for you. Okay, this is Walter White breaking back at the end, like this is about me and Gail has I don't know that there the list of people that have done more for our community than Gail Miller. She might be at the top, if there's anybody else up there, it's a very short.
Speaker 5: List, spent ecles. I mean there are some.
Speaker 1: Sure, but yeah, but Gail, to me has always been one that is front facing about wanting to do good and actually does That's been my experience with Gail Miller one.
Speaker 5: Hundred and I think they're concerned about more than just the success of a sports team. Case in point, they were involved in the tour of Utah. That's how I met Steve Miller and got to know him. When really I think there was probably one or two journalist Evehn covering they were trying to establish it, right, and I didn't know the Miller's other than Larry right. But I was really impressed with the experience they tried to give these athletes. This is a worldwide sport and we're a little tiny community, right. We have amazing scenery and you can make some really incredible courses here if you're talking racing bike or hiking or running. But I loved working with them because they weren't just about we need to make money. It was about we want this community to have this because this will open their world, this will change the way they see this sport. And yeah, it's definitely a business. Definitely want to make money, definitely show you that, right, But it's also like this life enriching thing. The reason we love sports, the reason we love entertainment, right, it makes our lives better. It made it, you know, going to work and going to bed. You know, just doing doing the things you need to do to live is a pretty pretty depressing life. Yeah, right, having joy doing things that are fun, and something about having these experiences is very You know the Millers did when they made the the finals the two years in a row against with the Bulls. They had a thing I remember talking to somebody about this. They had on the plat on the block. They put a big screen teat right outside of the delta side and they had all these chairs and they had at the time that I don't think stre vendors were much of a thing, but they The thing that was fascinating was how many of those people I went and covered that I won hung out with them. I had no interest at all in this, and I absolutely loved it. It was a blast, and I ended up doing it in Atlanta during the Olympics in two thousand and two. But what they did was they gave people who couldn't afford a ticket a way to have that finals experience. And I think they did it actually in the semis. I think they did it two rounds and it didn't cost anything and you could buy concessions, which you know, only benefits the team, right, But like it was amazing because there were people with families and they were like, I've been in a jazz fan all My guy he was in his sixties. He was like, hadn't even taken a shower after work, and he brought his kids and and he said, I remember this world kept soccer when they had a thing on the Gallovan too. These people will never be able to buy a ticket there and they but they got to have this moment. They got to be part of this community celebration of their team. And that is a thing that I think the Millers are unique, uniquely like they do that in a way that is I don't see a ton of owners doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, for sure.
Speaker 1: All right, before I say you lose here, you reference Cooper Flag, You referenced your nephew being a big Jazz fan. And there are three two games left Friday, OKC. They honored Dan Roberts last night forty six years PA announcer Prints of a Man. Yeah, he's exiting stage left. Apparently the Jazz posted the PA job on LinkedIn, So they're just gonna.
Speaker 2: Take anybody go ahead with a search.
Speaker 1: I guess I still don't know why they're making the change, but I'm not down there anymore. First time in Jazz history, we have a team that's lost more than sixty games. And I watch every game. It's part of the job. It's also part of my entire life. Jazz basketball is intertwin twined in my entire life. And it is really hard. And you know, I have a lot of good friends that are still with the organization. And it's hard on the players. It's hard on the coaches, it's hard on the front office. It's hard on ticket sales. Fans are showing up. The TV ratings are massively down locally. When Gobaert and Mitchell and Quinn had like their best teams, the Jazz were second in the NBA and local TV ratings to the Warriors. The Warriors were one because Steph was Stephen and Durant the whole thing. Yeah, And I think there were only two teams that had a more precipitous drop than the Jazz have in local TV ratings.
Speaker 2: And I get it. I know what they look.
Speaker 1: They operate in a league that incentivizes losing, and as long as losing is incentivized for certain teams in certain situations, you're going to see teams do what the Jazz are doing.
Speaker 2: We're just not used to it.
Speaker 1: What do you think this has been like for jazz fans that are used to at least competent basketball.
Speaker 5: Well, I think that this is the problem with business and sports getting married because competition wise, I mean the person I feel the soriust for is will for sure, because how do you find purpose? How do you find how do you think about competition when you know your owner doesn't want you to win? Like success is trying to win, it is trying to be your best. So how do you do that? How do you honor that right? How do you have some integrity in that process if the goal is to lose and it's not a matter of like we're going to give our best and we're just you know, overmastered or whatever, like they're sitting their best players. Like it's so I feel like I feel like it's been hard on the fans. I feel like we haven't seen anything like this. I mean, this is, as someone pointed out, if you lived in another city, this would be like, so what you know it matters to us because this is a community where this idea of not trying your best is also just no one's going to admit to that. Not okay, right, So I think those are the things I've thought it. I think I mentioned this to someone. I think it's fascinating. I would love to talk to him honestly about, well, how do you have integrity in this coaching process and trying to get guys to give you something good or great or develop or have long term goals about who they want to be in this league, about how you're going to evolve this team when the entire season. I think the real issue to me, the root of the problem is the league, and they should not have They shouldn't They should change this system. As you said, it incentivizes losing. And it's not just incentivizedes losing, it's ruining the game. You're you're hurting your own product by making sure that in certain certain markets that the players are the best. Players are not going to be on floor. So you're not getting your best every game from everybody, right, and you're not even getting you have you have someone like Jordan Clarkson who's had this crappy year right because of what's happening with the team, and that when you're talking about athletic athletes and maybe injuries and and like again this idea of timing and windows, right, I just feel like the league should adjust the way they think about the draft and reimagine it because you're they are hurting their own league. And eventually this will be when you get to a point where you the haves and the have nots are further apart. You could get to a situation where half your teams are trying to dump, trying to try and.
Speaker 1: That is where we're at, Amy, I mean, we're pretty close stretch there are. If I am kind, I say six teams are doing this. If I'm honest, I'm telling you ten because of injuries to what Mayama and embiid phillies in the mix and Antonio's in the mix. To your point, it's fixing the draft structure, eliminating any incentivized for losing. And you know what would secure all of this is promotion, relegation.
Speaker 5: It'll I ever love it, Oh my gosh, that would be amazing. Undred percent on board with that. I think it is. It makes everything exciting, It makes everything matter, I mean, and to me, that's competition. It is the beauty sports is that everything matters. Did you slough. Did you not go to practice, did you show up late? Did you do lesson you were asked to do? Every little thing should matter right, every little extra you do should benefit you. And when you were trying to work in a place where excellence is not rewarded, I don't. I just think that's a bad recipe.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you you know.
Speaker 1: My father has a role on the board of Burnley FC, a soccer club in England, and they're about to, hopefully I think it's next week, play a match where if they win, they're going to be promoted again. But they've been promoted and relegated for three straight years and it is the most intense viewing experience I've ever had in my entire life. For a little old soccer club that's not at the top of the Premiership table trying to fight to stay in it, and the days where they've lost to be relegated back down to the second Division or whatever they call it, the people that are involved with the club are devastated. And then the next year enough success to be promoted once again. And when they're able to grab promotion, it is promotion just to be able to play with the other teams not win the league, No, but I think what.
Speaker 5: It does is it makes everything meaningful. And I think that I mean when BYU was independent. One of my concerns when they first went independent was if you don't have a league title, that's one layer of success that you've taken away from. Sure, so if you don't win every game and make it to the playoffs, right, and expanding the playoffs gives you levels of success. And so there's lots of ways to have that moment you're talking about, where the community can galvanize, where everybody can be inspired, where people can give everything they've got to this community that we're all trying to be a part of.
Speaker 1: Amy, I've taken up too much of your time. Where would you tell our listeners to go find whatever it is you're working on right now?
Speaker 5: You could listen to There is a new episode of The Letter from season one. It's called The Hearing. You can go to The letterpodcast dot com. I heard from somebody the other day about one of the bonus episodes. One was about your dad, it was from a businessman, oh okay, and one was about the world according to Pablo, So actually, there's really great stuff in the Bonus episodes two from Making of.
Speaker 2: A Moment Listen every minute of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I would say you could do any of the apps, the Spotify, the Apple, the all of the above.
Speaker 1: So there's too much tray was all that's it been Making to the moment. Hey, great to see you, my friend guys much. Amy stops by today courtesy of our friends at IFA Country Stores. The weather is warm, spring is here. Have you ignored your lawn? Well it's not too late, but it's time to start thinking about it now. IFA Country Stores has everything you need to care for your law, no matter its size or shape. Their four plus lawn care program can promote a healthy, green lawn for you this summer. They're the same products you used in many local sports fields, golf courses and city parks. You can consult the IFA's team of experts for your yard this season, visit them online at IFA dot co op, or stop by one of their eighteen Utah stores Today. IFA Country Stores helping to grow the things you love.
Speaker 4: We're back on the Drive with ESPN's Dave mcmannimon joining us for today's NBA Daily Assist.
Speaker 1: Have the day, justin Rose, you just missed a birdie putt on eighteen, and I think he'll tap in for part here for a four stroke lead over Scottie Scheffler.
Speaker 2: Oh, no bogey.
Speaker 1: He dropped one three stroke lead over Scottie Scheffler. Justin Rose cards a sixty five. Roy McElroy is four under through fourteen. Our next guest apparently not a golf guy, Dave mcminnimon Thursday Afternoon.
Speaker 2: You're not a fan of the game of golf. I was unaware of that.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't put it that way that I'm not a fan of it. I think is a cool sport and I can get caught up in the drama of a great tournament on a Sunday if I'm not working, but I just don't follow it regularly. Do you actually good Justin Rose being in first place? I went to the twenty thirteen US Open in the Philly suburbs at Marrying with my dad, and he won it that year, so I do have some a bit of a point for him. I love Tiger when I was a kid, but it's been a while since Tiger's been kind of been that guy.
Speaker 2: You ever play? Do you like to get out and swing?
Speaker 8: I played about once a year It's one of those things where I have a bunch of friends as I get a little longer in the tooth, that that's their main form of physical exercise slash recreation. And like, I'm still trying to hang on to my pickup hoops game, so if I get free time, I'm doing that rather than going to the golf course.
Speaker 1: How often are we talking pick up hoops? Davic Minman, what's the consistency.
Speaker 8: Level I play? If I'm home in LA I play Saturday morning, Tuesday night, and then usually one other weekday floating morning, So like three times.
Speaker 1: A week I'm picturing Dave Mcamendimon on the beach, maybe somewhere down in Santa Monica shirt lists right.
Speaker 2: Outdoor basketball? Is that what we're talking about here?
Speaker 4: Ever?
Speaker 8: No, No, I gave up outdoor basketball about ten years ago. It's so bad on your need. So I got a couple of nice little indoor setups. It's all all organized pickups. So it's it's guys that I've known for for a decade plus. Guys played high school ball, some played college ball. So it's guys who know how to play. But you're also like you know one another, You're not getting into random fights. You're not trying to get anybody injured. You're able to you know, shower and not have a you know, black black eye or bloody nose when you go to work an hour after the pickup game.
Speaker 2: You play with any of your ESPN cohorts.
Speaker 8: I have played with them in the past. There's not too many on on our staff currently that regularly played. McMahon plays a little bit, and he's got a nice little low post game and a decent catch and shoot jumper. But I think that's the only guy on our current staff that I played with. Chris Hanes plays a bunch that I've played with him over the years. We've played. We put together a pick up game Overall Star in San Francisco. But yeah, it's there's fewer and fewer unfortunately around the league. I feel like, of the guys who covered the NBA that play regularly.
Speaker 1: You can't get timmy good time Bontemps out there. He's like a good six team.
Speaker 8: Bon TEMs will play every once in a while. Bosteps played. We've put together a pickup game in the morning my wedding and Bontep's played in it. And actually I'll give him credit. He blocks at my jump shots, Bruce, let you go a little bit in the game. But Bonteps could play. He stays in shape, but he's more of like he's an obsessive pelotoner.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all right, very interesting, All right, moving on, Dave. I don't imagine during your pickup games you are introduced and then you start crying and drop a forty five point you know, jam on your old team. You were on the scene, you were prominently featured on television, as was our guy Tim McMahon. I got to know what that was like because there are so many times in a lot of sports where we anticipate the gravity of a moment and wonder whether or not an athlete or a coach or whatever is going to step up and meet that moment.
Speaker 2: And man, did he meet that moment?
Speaker 1: And certainly the Lakers are remotivated to help Luca get his and they get the win. And what was a really, really unique special night. What was it like to be there on the scene.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I don't want to be too like Fu Fu poetic here, but part of the reason why I wanted to do this job was to be able to explore the human condition and marvel at what people are capable of accomplishing in extreme conditions. And so walking away from the arena last night, you're just shaking your head and you're just blown away by how Luca Dottris was able to compartmentalize fully feel the moment of the pregame introduction where the Mavericks honored with about a three minute highlight video and the crowd starts channing his name and let that wash over him and be vulnerable enough and quite frankly, man enough to cry in front of twenty thousand people and rather than you know, feel like he has to be John Wayne about it and then put the switch. You know, he was a little shaky for the first two minutes in the game. He had a bad pass underneath the basket behind his back that was the turnover, and he had his first shocky miss, But really from the moment he hit a three right in front of the Lakers bench with about you know, maybe eight minutes ago in the first quarter till the end of the game, he was a killer and it was just an incredible night to watch. And then walking into the postgame locker room for the Lakers afterwards, talking to Austin Rees and he's like, man, I didn't want to look at Luke on the bench pregame because I thought if I looked at him crying, I'm going to start crying.
Speaker 6: I felt.
Speaker 8: He talked to Lebron, and Lebron is like, this is going to be a night that I remember, not for the rest of my career, but for the rest of my life. And he was just happy to be a part of it. And JJ Reddick, you know, having the sense of the moment to have a separate sub for Luca at the very end of the game with the mid thirty four to go, so he gets another ovation from the crowd. It was. It's one of those great nights. There's been two nights since regular season games, I should say since I started covering the NBA back in two thousand and five that I've regretted that I wasn't able to cover. One was December second, twenty ten, when Lebron had his first game back in Cleveland as a member of the Heat and I was coming to Lakers back then, it wasn't necessarily had an opportunity to do that. And then it was Kobe's last regular season game with the Lakers, and if I pushed for that, I probably could have covered The Cavs had a meaningless end of their regular season that year, they had already lot up there seating in the Eastern Conference playoffs, and I had covered Kobe for six years, so I probably kind of pushed for that one. I wish I did because obviously had the sixty point send off. This is the only game that I would put anywhere close to the realm of what those two games became and lucas there's all the cred in the world.
Speaker 1: I actually was covering Kobe's last game because I was doing pre aff and posts for the team that he played against, the Utah Jazz, and I remember watching that game and breaking it down afterwards. It was quite a night, But I wanted to kick the tires, Dave, since you were there with the reaction of Dallas Mavericks fans, because on TV you could hear the fire Nico stuff and then Luca would hit a three, and it felt like all the Laker fans in attendance were superjuiced about that. But it also felt like most of the Mavericks fans, from what I could tell on television, were pulling for Luca to.
Speaker 2: Have a good night.
Speaker 1: How many Mavericks fans were cheering for the maps, Like, what was it like to be what was the fan reaction?
Speaker 8: Yeah, but you know they have those like artificial energy prompts on the jumbo tron sometimes during I'm out or noise meter, they had zero effect on the crowd. And they were several times throughout the game where I was sitting next to Dan Wiki of the La Times, who covers the Lakers as well, and we're like, oh wow, look, it's like no one's responding to that. So I think the general interest of mass fans last night was to cheer Luca and then when there was breaks in the action have the fire Nico chant and the fire Deco chant. It started just when Lakers shot free throws, and by the end of the game is when the Mavericks were shooting free throws as well. That said, you know, I thought that it didn't cross the line. Of course, it had to be uncomfortable for Nico Harrison, who stood a tunnel kind of in between the Lakers bench and the Mavericks bench. He was mostly out of sight, but if you knew where to look, you could see him. But the Dallas fans really like poured their support for Luca. You saw so many families wearing you know, different versions of Mads Luca jerseys that of course they've been purchased over his six and a half year career. There the Luca Luca chant right that followed right after the tribute video that played like echoed throughout the arena gave me goosebumps when I heard it. There was a little bit of an MVP chant for Luca at one point, and in the first quarter whenever he touched the ball, it was just pure agulation cheers, which was cool. I mean, the guys, if you love watching basketball, it's hard to you know, put him in any category other than like a master of the game of basketball. It's a modern Larry Bird with you know, with the European twist. I guess holf fitting he scores forty last night, the bucket that he gets it on is a ridiculous reverse, you know, showing the type of commandy as of the game unlike few have ever had. And yeah, it was a big night Phil Lakers as well. They clinched the playoff spot. They're not going to be in the play in tournament and they have two games left to get the number three seed in the West, and if they get that, you're talking about a week's rest. You're on the opposite side of the bracket as okay, see, and you could really do some damage this postseason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I do want to get there before I set you loose. And you know, this is going to be a little bit of a loose parallel, But I am a sports talk radio host in Salt Lake City, and so oftentimes I try to consume NBA games and storylines and related to certain things that have happened here. And you know, with the Lucas stuff, you hear a lot of like, nobody trades away a twenty five year old generational talent. And I'm not saying Donovan Mitchell's Luka Doncic right, I'm not, But the Jazz did that. The Jazz traded Donovan, you know, really at the beginning of his prime, and certainly two different situations.
Speaker 2: So the parallel is a little loose.
Speaker 1: But when I saw Luca in tears during the pregame introduction, if I'm a Mavericks fan, it makes me even more upset because it reaffirms the reporting of you and others that he very much did not want this to happen. Now, look, he's a Laker, he's in Los Angeles. He's going to be just fine. He'll acquamate and he'll be a legend in a place where all these guys want to live and play. I get all that, But when Donovan Mitchell came back to saw Lake with the Calves, there was no there were no tears, there was no emotion like when he left. It was kind of like, yeah, I'm out, and I'm thrilled that I'm no longer there anymore. And if you're a jazz fan and you see a generational talent like Luca crying during the pregame introductions, if you're a Mavericks, just makes you even more upset because it's like, dude, he wanted Dallas, he wanted to be here, and he's one of the best players in the world. And you know, from a jazz perspective, it's like, if Donovan was outwardly upset about that move and he clearly wanted to be back here, I think it would have changed the way a lot of jazz fans view him, viewed him then and view him now, And just from simply this is a really loose I'm gonna land the plane. But just simply from like a fan paradigm fan perspective, the fact that you just saw that that generational dude is so upset that he was traded away from your team, it probably makes the vitriol towards the Dallas front office even more intense.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense at all?
Speaker 8: It does, because it's gonna be hard to figure out how that faucet gets turned off. Basketball fans, like MAVs fans, are basketball fans, so they're going to continue to see Luca's success with the Lakers. And I'm not saying that the collection of talent that the Mavericks have right now is a bad one. If Kyrie Irving can come back, you know, let's say play half the season next year, the second half of the season, and they can stay healthy with the rest of their core, they will be a significant team in the Western Conference, but they won't be favored over the Lakers. And even if they win a championship with that group sometime over the next couple of seasons, I just don't know if we'll feel as good as had they won with Luca Dudgets and you know, that when I came back, I covered the Lakers for six years and covered the Cavs for four, and now I've been covering the Lakers for seven on this currency. Then when I came back to LA there was a faction of Laker fans who kind of didn't want Lebron to be on the team because they wanted to see the group led by Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram and Julius Randall figure it out together and follow that story all the way through because it was kind of the quote unquote homegrown talent. It's going to be a different feeling for this this MAPS group if they can, in fact even do it. I mean, that's a monumental test to begin with, so I don't see it changing. Obviously, Nico Harrison has had the support of Patrick Dumont, the new ownership group, or the trade wouldn't have gotten done. So I don't necessarily think his job is in jeopardy. But the job's not gonna be fun. I mean he still has to, you know, be a citizen of the city of Dallas, and you know he has a family there, and you know, you go out to dinner and go to shows and et cetera, et cetera, like it's going to be uncomfortable experience for him kind of no matter what happens with the Mavericks going forward.
Speaker 2: All Right, David, I know you got to run, so I'll just ask you one more question.
Speaker 1: I'm old enough to remember when you were good at your job, typically you kept it, and if you're an NBA coach, I guess that's not the deal. A lot of reporting, good reporting from both you guys at ESPN and then the folks at the athletic about what was going on behind the scenes in Denver that led them, the Crockey family to move on from both Calvin Booth and Michael Malone, who, after a decade a very successful basketball including a championship, has been shown the door.
Speaker 2: Look, I don't fully understand it.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you can provide some context, but what's your reaction to this story.
Speaker 8: I was not surprising. I'm certainly surprised by the timing. I was not surprised to hear Michael Malone being let go. I'd heard some things throughout the year, and then of course you see the way the league has trended that the head coach is good for them I'm glad they get paid really well, because that's kind of the only part of their existence that's guaranteed that they're going to get a really good salary, and everything else is you are the automatic scapegoat. It's much harder to trade or change the roster than it is the coach. And of course the general manager wants to always have a way to not make it their fault. Right rising part to me was Calvin Booth, and of course Booth's reputation after building the championship team of a couple of years ago, took a bit of a hit of not being able to retain guys like Bruce Brown and Jeff Green and contagious Caldwell Pope and you know, obviously Christian Brown's role has improved in that time. But other than that, you know, what are they added? They added Russell Westbrook, Like, come on, so clearly he had not had the best couple of seasons. But I figured it would have gone to go the way that we've seen in other organizations. You get rid of the coach, the general manager has a little bit more time here. But listen, it's a bold move. I don't like it, just by the fact that they'd already qualified for a playoff position. To me, like, it's bad business. It's just it's not treating people like humans. You let the coach then coach the team in the playoffs for the playoffs lootion that he'd already qualified for. That's what I would do. But they're going to get a look at David Adelman here. And you know, the front office part will be very interesting because the Krokey ownership group is not known for really being willing to open up the purse string and spend at the level of some of the other teams that are pernial contenders. Will they do that here, spend a lot of money to get you know, one of the top executives on the market, or you know, do they try to do it on the cheap? You know, there's a reason why I'm besides Jerry's in Toronto, and there's a reason why Tim Connelly is in Minnesota because Denver didn't pay them either. And so a very interesting situation. And of course we all are wondering about the potential fallout of will Nikola Jokich want to finish his career there or will he be the next superstarter? Decide that I'm better off finishing my career somewhere else.
Speaker 1: All right, my friend, Well, I appreciate the time, have a great weekend ahead.
Speaker 2: And we'll chat to day, Yes, sir, Thanks y.
Speaker 1: Dave mcmanamhon covers the NBA for ESPN. He's on Twitter at mc ten is where you find him. Dave stops Spout today courtesy of our friends at the Salt Lake Bees and the Bees Avenue Hive. It's opening week right now goes through April thirteenth, c inaugural season at the ballpark at America First Square in South Jordan. Every game will feature exciting giveaways, so don't miss out. Experience the thrill of America's favorite pastime and join us this season for professional baseball, family friendly entertainment and unforgettable memories. Giveaways include Pennett's t shirts, beanies, and more every night of the first home stand. Single game tickets are on sale now. Visit SLBs dot com for more information. This season, the Bees are going to feature fireworks and drone nights throughout the year, brunch every Sunday home game, Bark in the Park nights where you can bring your dog to the game, a Superman Night, and a.
Speaker 2: Cowboy themed weekend.
Speaker 1: The ballpark at America First Squares designed for year long use. Coming soon, a brand new Bees team store is going to be open all year. The site's gonna have a megaplex theater that includes movies, bowling, arcades and dining restaurants, and a consored stage. The Salt Lake Bees are dedicated to providing a premium experience with wallet friendly ticket pricing. The privately financed stadium as a capacity of eight thousand fans and offers open lawn, premium, club and field seating options ticket for every type of fan. The animenities include a locally inspired concession spot, a grab and go market using smart technology, alcohol free family zone, spectacular views of the Wassatch Mountains, improved transportation and access to the ballpark, more parking, lower costs for parking, newer track stop at center field for America First Square, and increased walkability, curiated game day experience for fans at America First Square, comfortable seats and expansive video board, premium seating options, and fans seated behind home plate in the new field suites will be closer to the batter than the picture is. Visit SLBs dot com you get your tickets and come see the Bees.
Speaker 2: A little bit of breaking news.
Speaker 1: On a Thursday, Jeff Goodman is reporting that Rob Wright has signed with BYU Baylor transfer who is a point guard as Dallen Hall is not his way to Virginia and Diego Demon is on his way to the NBA. Rob Wright recently signed a contract for more than one million dollars to stay at Baylor, but according to Jeff Goodman, b YU is paying rob Wright three million dollars to pay to play college basketball down in provo aj Debantsy getting seven rob Wright getting three ten million dollars for two players that will probably be there for one year for BYU basketball. All Right, Rsel is back in action, coming up on Saturday against Nashville. Pablo mash Johnny Head coach ray Al salt Lake. Thursday afternoon, Pablo, Happy Thursday man, how are you doing?
Speaker 7: Happy Thursday? Spent's doing great? Just on the way home from a day's work.
Speaker 2: That a guy.
Speaker 1: That a guy, all right, most important thing? Your pick to win the Masters?
Speaker 7: I got Seveler.
Speaker 2: Okay, come on, you know what I'm taking Scott ye off?
Speaker 6: Well, okay, well then I have.
Speaker 7: Who's who's my I picked four guys and Hoblin's not cutting it. Who else do I have?
Speaker 2: You can have Scotty, you can have Scotty, Pablo.
Speaker 1: It's just it feels like this is another situation where he's trending up he wanted a year ago, and look, I just think he is when he is playing top shelf. He's just the guy that everyone else has to beat. So if you want to take Scotty, I'll let you take Scotty.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: What I've been surprised too, is like, you know, like justin Johnson, it wasn't too long ago where he was in the same boat as as Scheffler is currently at right where there was in a tournament. He wasn't top three, top four, So I'm a bit shocked, and I wonder if it's the migration to the Lift Tour that's affected his game, because he was one of my top dogs back in the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when DJ went to Live, that was the first one that hurt, and then they got Brooks which also hurt as well. But yeah, the Live guys right now, I guess Terrell hadn't played pretty well.
Speaker 2: But it's interesting. I wonder if there's a.
Speaker 1: Soccer equivalent of a golfer like Scotty Scheffler, who when he is on his game, you just know that you've got to deal with that guy. Is there a soccer equivalent like throughout your career whatever, like one dude that played for a team where you knew that you were gonna have to deal with him when you showed.
Speaker 2: Up to play.
Speaker 7: Well, I guess the one guy would be messy, right, And I think he did it last night again. Yeah, you know this team they had, they conceded in an early goal and in Miami had a beat, had to score three unanswered goals, and they did it and he scored two of them. So he's one of the guys when when he's on his game. I mean again, I've seen teams try to man mark him, try to double team him. It just doesn't matter. I mean, this guy, when he's on he is unstoppable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 1: I'm always fascinated as to what makes one of those dudes click and makes them one of those guys. And Scotty's year last year was very reminiscent of Tiger back in the day.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm not supposed to say that how much pro golf.
Speaker 1: I know you're very busy with your job, but how much professional golf do you consume?
Speaker 5: Are you?
Speaker 7: Guy?
Speaker 2: The les watch these major tournaments, Yeah.
Speaker 7: The majors I really enjoy. I just I just don't have the bandwidth or the time to be able to consume too much of it. But before, I mean a couple of years ago, I was I was watching ho hump tournaments, you know, the Sanderson Farms tournament and really get into it. And I think it was it coincided with my golf game being pretty good about I don't know, eight or nine years ago, where it's slowly tricking off, you know, trickling off. But this last week and have the opportunity to go to Arizona for a couple of days and and shot at seventy nine. So I feel like I'm getting back into the swing of things.
Speaker 2: We got to get out, man, we got to get out.
Speaker 1: I know you're busy, but we got to get out at some point out that the weather's warm. Absolutely, let's do it, all right, my guy, I hate to start here, but we have to. Kurt joined us this week, so you are in good company for me to ask you the question about when reinforcements could potentially be on the way.
Speaker 2: What these reinforcements look like? What have you been told? Man? What's the timeframe we're looking at now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: So I think, uh, there's there's there's one particular player that's that's relatively close, and there's just some we we just gotta you know, again, it takes two to tango, right, So he's he's he's got to come a little ways. We've got to come a little ways. But but I think it might it might manifest itself sooner than later. And that's fingers crossed that that works out. And then we have a couple other guys that we've looked at. One of them is is Top Top. The other guy is kind of in his in his nascent stages of his career, but but again, a really good player. And I think, you know, we've talked about this internally, is that experience for our front group, you know, in particular for guys like you know, dominic and and Diego Luna would be really really important for their growth. Again, it have them not carrying such a load. And obviously Luna wouldn't consider a younger player anymore because he's breaking through, but really just having a little bit more experience and would really bring a lot of confidence to the team. So that's really an area that we're focusing on when we're selecting these players. And experience doesn't necessarily mean age, it just means years playing professionally. And a lot of the guys in Europe, you know, to start with their sixteen, so they have quite a few years of experiences under their belt.
Speaker 1: Two weeks as of yesterday for this primary transfer window to close. What have you been told and what can you share about how many signings you guys are hoping to get across the line prior to April twenty third.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, we've talked about one or two, and the way it's looking is is definitely one and then kind of keeping the powder dry to see what it looks like for the summertime. And as we've talked about in the past, you know, the summer it's a really difficult win though for us. It leaves you with essentially nine games left if you bring someone from abroad given the paperwork. So you know, at this point, Spence, you know, having one guy at this point in the season, I think we'll put us in a good way, and then you know, it gives us options heading into the summer window.
Speaker 1: So I'm just gonna ask you about this because it has been reported and it is public knowledge that one of the players that you guys are talking to is a Slovakian international forward, Robert Bosnik. I don't know, man, that's that's the that's the name that I'm reading off this report from Tom Bogert. Can you confirm or deny whether or not this is the player that could potentially be on the way.
Speaker 7: I would say that he's he's he's on the list. You got to keep it suspenseful, Spence, And it's just like hohum news.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 7: So he's he's one of one of the three guys that we've we've penciled in and I've had dialogue with. But but again, no guarantees that the things are going to line up with him.
Speaker 1: Sure, and I do appreciate the flair for the dramatic I just want you to have more talent at your disposal.
Speaker 2: Aint.
Speaker 7: I appreciate it, Spence. No, you're absolutely right again. I And for me, it's not so much about it. It's it's not about me. It's not about me, it's about what a player of this magnitude would do to the group, and a belief in the group. And you know, when you look up front, you see a guy that's like he's been here, he's done that, he's played at a great level and all those it's it's you wouldn't think of it like that, but like again, it'd be like, you know when when the Lakers picked up Luca recently and and now you're like the fifth guy on the team, but now you have Lebron and you have this guy, and it's like you believe more than you've ever believed, even though you know what I'm saying. So it's like it has that type of magnetism to a team. And for me, it's all about belief. And when you have big you know, when we have good experience, big players on those front lines, you can concede a goal and it doesn't waver your belief. In fact, you're now pushing forward with the understanding that you are going to get another goal back.
Speaker 1: Help us understand the process here, and we'll just use this striker as the hypothetical example. Okay, as you pointed out, we're not sure if it's going to be him. We're not sure if it's going to be somebody else, but whoever, it is number nine, Okay, And again the transfer window closes in two weeks. But look, even if you get him on the ground tomorrow, he's not starting against Nashville. So what's the process? What's realistic to expect for RSL fans chopping at the bit for a signing to get done and then to land and then get acclimated. When is it reasonable to expect to see him in your lineup and actually playing well?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Well, the playing well piece is is there's a lot of variables, but the one good thing is that you know typically there's there's gonna it's it's a minimum of a month when he when when he signs, right, So whenever he signs, you can give yourself exactly a month and hopefully in the next ten days after he signs, he's on the ground in Salt Lake, So that affords him another twenty days of training with the team, acclimating to the team, acclimating to the uh, to the weather, altitude, those type of things. And so typically it's a month from when the players signed from abroad that he's able to participate so again not not ideal from from our perspective, but that's just the reality of it. And and that's why I keep telling you, like from my from from my chair, that you've got to put all your attention on the players that are currently in the clubhouse. And and you cannot, you cannot be caught looking and ahead because you know those times, you know that's that's four games and and those four games are critical. So but but it's typically a month.
Speaker 1: So in the theme, in the spirit of focusing on the players that you have at your disposal, do you feel good about where your group is at right now? Uh, in order to be able to add the right piece and then boom, here we go. I mean, I I still believe you have holes, and I still believe that you need talent editions. But do you have the other pieces in place that if the other right piece falls into place, you're confident about what you can do?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: No, I think you know again, when I when I look at our group, and I and and I look at our last game, right and and you know, we we played a LA Galaxy side that was missing a couple of important pieces. But but again we played the team that was in front of us, and and I think in particular the first half, the way we attacked the game and the way we you know, created a lot of really great opportunities, and then we scored two goals. So, like you know, I think it's it's early days in the season, and oftentimes when you're not getting the results, you're you're, you know, you're you're obviously extremely disappointed. But there's a lot of things that are happening in those games that were going back to the to the video room and we're assessing as a group and we're talking about, okay, so if we don't have this player, then Diego and Diego you've got to get in the box. And typically there are two players that like to hang out at the top of the box because it's less crowded. They both have good shots. But in this particular game against La Diego, Luna was in prime real estate, and you know, one of them he took really well as well executed to play. The other one was a good cross, but the but the defender took a bad touch. Which is why we want numbers in the box because there's so many there's so many things that that can happen when the ball is in dangerous areas. But if you don't have any players in those areas, well, then you know you're not going to score the goals, so you know, and and so looking at Diego and Diego in particular and their positioning in the attacking part of the field has improved game over game and the same thing happened in Houston when they were in good spots. But it's it's almost a habit that we have to break. So to answer your question, if we you know, we bring in a nine that that is that is a guy that can score goals, well, now we in this time that we haven't had them, we've we've worked on the players that we do have to not only score goals, but to also now have three players that teams have to worry about as opposed to the one. So you know, I think, and not to mention the confidence piece and all the different you know, intangibles that this player will bring to our group, I think will be in a good way.
Speaker 1: So I want to ask you about Diogo. You know, he has the breakaway and you just have to put it on frame right, you got to make the keeper make a save.
Speaker 2: And so that was a tough moment.
Speaker 1: But I've got to say, like for his ability just to put that.
Speaker 2: You know, I know you're a huge dead last guy.
Speaker 1: I'm just kidding, he's not, but you know, the memory of a goldfish just to move on right away. And then he's the one that went back and won the ball that provided Diego's first goal. So it's kind of a two tiered thing here, you know, the breakaway opportunity at least make and make a say. But I would imagine you were very pleased with the way he responded after that miss.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a great point. You know, it's not easy when you know, finding the net is so difficult because it is the hardest thing to do in the game. And there are so many aspects of Diego's game that have improved drastically from last year. And you know, his leadership in the locker room has been great, and so there's so many different things, and I think that that one the aspect that you're talking about, the mentality piece. It's really easy to hang your head and and and not fight for the team when you feel like you've let the team down. It's it's it's it's it's a really interesting place to be but I think he showed a lot of resolve, a lot of grit, a lot of perseverance in that action to give the team an opportunity to score a goal even though it wasn't him. So he's doing a great job. You know, he's been he's been a catalyst in the games where we've been uh successful, And so you know, we need Diego to be either contributing from a goal going perspective or if not, from a leadership perspective, which is putting putting the team first. And he did that on that play and.
Speaker 2: Then of course probably buried the lead.
Speaker 1: But Diego with the brace, and you know, it's this two tiered thing now with the way the club approaches development and how many really talented players have been, you know, sold for a premium where I just get nervous that I'm going to wake up to an alert that you guys have moved on from Diego. But Kurt actually yesterday and it was a little bit of a sigh of relief because, yes, Pablo, I begrudgingly accepted the ethos of this club. Where as Jason put it on the show two weeks ago, we do not write checks for ten million dollars for players. We develop players, and then we sell them for ten million. Okay, all right, that's the deal. I'm I'm not gonna say him on board. I'm just gonna say I understand, and I just don't want to see him moved on. So as he continues to evolve, are there any anxious moments for you where it's like, hey, don't score every game, man, we need you here for a while. Of course, you want him to do what he's doing, and he's just so good. I mean, what is that like as a coach where you know you want your players to succeed and do well, but there's also this underline like is he playing too well for us to hold on to him?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 7: No, that's a great question, and the coaches kind of threw that around. You know that we might lose Diego in the summer. You know again, I think from my chair, Spence is the reason why coaches is to share experiences with with the next generation of players, and hopefully they have an opportunity to experience playing for a national team in a World Cup and winning an MLS Cup and and all the trials and tribulations that come with that. And I think that's that gives me the greatest joy, you know. And you know, sitting down with Diego last week and just talking through some things like you know, nonverbals of body language and and getting the right spots and and and and all these little things, and then seeing him go out and perform. Now, it wasn't because of the video session, but it's it's the commitment that we and we have a wonderful coaching staff that spends countless time with all these players and they're getting the best individual video sessions and work and and just a lot of love, you know, And and these coaches do a fantastic job at coaching staff. And and so when when there are moments like this where players like come to the club and no one really knew who he was. He was a great young player but played in the USL, and then you're over a year he's having this you know, increase in play and now he's with the national team. I mean, it's it's for me, It's why I do it. And so if Diego were to, you know, get an opportunity to go abroad and it makes sense for the club and it makes sense for Diego, well then I think that's what our job is, right is to help the next generation of players, us generation of players.
Speaker 8: Achieve their dreams.
Speaker 7: And and so while it would be really tough to replace a player like him, you know, you go on celebrating these players careers. You know, I'm watching you know, Andres Gomez from Afar and seeing how he's settling it. And it's been difficult for him initially, but that's all a part of it. And so while it would be tough in the short term losing a player like Diego Luna, who's doing everything for the team in possession, out of possession in the clubhouse, you know, in in the media, he is the face of our of our team, And when you lose a player like that, obviously there's gonna be you know, there's gonna be a big boy to fill. But but the other part is is that, you know, I feel like we've accomplished what we've wanted to do, which is helping players reach the next level of their game.
Speaker 1: And I suppose the Andres and the Fidel transactions lead to proof of concept, right, So what what sort of what sort of access into conversations or doors do success stories like that give you that maybe you didn't have prior.
Speaker 7: To so that against Ben, Sorry I lost you.
Speaker 1: So the success stories, the proof of concept where you guys have now shown that you can identify young talent, develop them and move them on for a premium. What sort of doors does that open for you to have conversations with other players?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know that was It's really a great question because when we were recruiting Dom one of the things that his agent said was, you guys have done it, and you guys are playing younger players, you know, so I think, you know, the league's gone from you know, bringing these these older players. You know, initially it was only older players at the end of their careers in Europe that would come over h to MLS for a payday. And now we're a league that really wants to, you know, try to sell younger players and have this be the grounds in which they they they grow their craft. And Dom's you know, Dominic Marsouk's agent said, listen, the reason why I'm pushing Dom to come to MLS is because you guys are doing it right. You guys sold andres, you guys play younger players. You obviously have a really good infrastructure within the club. You have a coaching staff that cares about the players, and so we feel it's best that he goes goes to the MLS versus going to you know, a place in Europe that's going to just they have to win as we do, but a little bit different where you know, he might not be seeing seen as much playing time or have the same opportunity. So it's it's it's you know, the proof is in the pudding, right and if you're not, if you're just saying it and not doing it, you're you're probably not going to get the type of young talent that's going to help our team win today, right. And we feel like dom Is is a player that is, you know, breaking into the Polish national team. You know, he's coming into form and and he's an important player for us, albeit that he's a young player. So you know, the more the more we're able to show proof of concept, the likelihood is we continue to get very very good players that might not have the experience yet.
Speaker 1: So two ways to look at because you know, a lot of the attention, and understandably so, has just been lack of attacking prowess and not being bringing in replacements for the majority of the goals and assists that you guys decided to jettison. But when you look at your goals allowed, Pablo, you guys have allowed eleven.
Speaker 2: Okay, so two ways to look at this.
Speaker 1: You allowed seven of those goals in two games, right, and so outside of San Diego and San Jose, uh, you know, the defense has been pretty stout, but the number is eleven. Are we ignoring an issue you guys have or do you feel like it really was those two games that kind of is inflating the goals allowed?
Speaker 7: No, I think it was. It was definitely those two games because again, I think defensively we've been a pretty good team, and I think those two games got away from us. And and that's why I go to you know, when you look up front and you're like, man, where's where's the tip of the spear? How are we going to get back into this game? And those those for the most part, those were early days and and I feel like, you know, well, I'll just say the last game in particular, we were we were real stout defensively, and it's obviously been an area that again we haven't been pleased with that. Spence, I think you're spot on it. It's not there's I mean, it's eleven goals, so it's it's not good enough. But but I think we did a great job against La minimizing they didn't have a shot inside our box and so real, you know, for me, it's again it's it's Jay Glad and the pivots doing a great job of organizing our defense, you know, learning from our previous games. And again we're not going to get a shot out every game, but we've placed a high premium on defending really really well as a team. And again, the defending starts at the front, right, So if our guys up front, and the last game, it was Luna and Ari doing a great job of making it difficult for them and making it predictable for the guys behind behind them to make plays. And so when I look at that stat, it's not just the back line, it's it's you know, it's it's the whole group. So you know, hopefully we continue on the same vein heading into Nashville.
Speaker 1: All right, before we say you lose, let's talk about Nashville out of the East. You haven't played him since twenty twenty two. How healthy are you? What sort of challenges do they pose what do you have to do to come home with a result?
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, I think we're we're relatively healthy. We have a couple of question marks as far as defenders are concerned, but hopefully we get one back tomorrow. And then as far as Nashville, you know, I think they they brought a new coach last year. They're they're they're they're a bit you know. They they want to play, they want to build out of the back. But really the the meat and potatoes of the team are their two attackers. So they have Surge, which is a big, tall six foot four nine who's got great hold up play. He runs well, but more importantly he's got a nine for the goal. And then they have Honey Mouktar, who's I think the MVP in twenty two or twenty three, and you know this guy has got you know, he plays underneath Surge, And so the tandem up front is really the two guys that we have to stop. And so I think if we do a good job against those two guys and create as many quality chances as we did it again in La, we put ourselves in a great position to come away with a great result.
Speaker 2: Have you looked at the forecast. Since I do this to you every week.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's gonna be a little bit chilly. I think the highs sixty, so game time should be in the fifties, which is for the players. It's a dream. As long as there's no rain, We're in a great way.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, all right, buddy, appreciate it, Safe travels, Go get a result, man, we'll chat soon.
Speaker 7: Thanks, Ben, appreciate it, Bud.
Speaker 1: Bablo Mastoetti, head coach of RSL Nashville is the opponent coming up Saturday six thirty.
Speaker 2: Is where you can see that.
Speaker 1: It's on mL excuse me, it's on Apple TV, because you know that's how you have to do it these days to watch MLS soccer, So appreciate Pablo's time. A lot of reports out there about potential players on the way, and we'll see if any of these get across the dotted line prior to that April twenty third date where the primary transfer window closes. In spring football, rolling along up on the hill about halfway down. A couple more practices this week than we got four next week. In the forever twenty two game. The defensive coordinator of the utes and the head coach in waiting and my good friend for a number of years, Morgan Scalley on a beautiful Thursday. Morgan, happy Thursday.
Speaker 2: How are you buddy?
Speaker 6: Doing well? Brother? Doing well? It's springball. The weather's great. I'm hoping it stays that way for the next six to seven practices that we have left. But fired up for this new crew coming in.
Speaker 1: Love it, love it all right. Let's start with the most important thing. Who is your pick to win the Masters? And who is your dark horse?
Speaker 6: Man? The pick to win the Masters would probably be Chefer. I don't know. I you can go against him and then man dark horse. The way that things are going, Man, give me more cowa, Okay, I haven't done anything in a minute, all.
Speaker 2: Right, No, I like it. I like it.
Speaker 1: I know that you have an affinity for golf. But as we were discussing off air, you'll have plenty of time to golf when you're not doing this job, and certainly when you're not doing your next job, so you'll get there. But in the meantime, you've got a lot going on. So let's just get a look. You know spring football. Obviously, you know doing this as long as I have, and you with your eighteenth year with the program, opportunity to get the new group on campus, opportunity to start learning new personalities, opportunities to start helping these young men understand what you ask for them. So let's go to the start of springball the boxes that you want checked, and let's fast forward to where we're at today and how how's the progress going?
Speaker 6: Morgan, Well, springball is. Ever since the mid year signing date was instituted, you see more and more of new faces that in the transfer portal coming in Springball. Used to be fall camp that you wait to see what you really had. Now it's really spring football. Guys are coming in midyear. You're transfer por guys your high school seniors that are graduating early. So really it's the new faces that you're trying to get adjusted to the culture, to the scheme. The things that we wanted to work on this spring that we didn't feel we did a good enough job of is stopping the run and creating takeaways. I say, midway through, we're seeing what we want to see. It can always be better, But you know, in the drill work that we've been doing, in the crossover drills that we've been doing, strong emphasis on stout run defense, you know, getting those defensive tackles up to par and then creating takeaways, which I believe we've done a pretty good job of that.
Speaker 1: So I do want to follow up with how the calendar has changed and how your job has changed as a result of where we find ourselves in the world of college football. I look the topic of the transfer portal, it gets a little bit tired because it's been around long enough by now Morgan to just have it be a reality. And I call it free agency. And then there's the nil portion, the collective and all of these things. Uh, you know, we had coach went on the show just a couple of weeks ago. Regardless of how many support staff you guys bring in, your individual individual jobs are going to change and evolve. How has your job been affected by the changes in college football?
Speaker 6: I would say the biggest difference is, I mean, it's it's it is about relationships, but people want to know the financial part of coming to your program, what you're going to be able to do for them financially. Makes it harder to main attain sustained culture. But you know that just makes it more of a priority for us to in recruiting, recruiting the guys that fit our culture. Yes, we are going to need money, and our donors have done a great job and we'll continue to do a great job. But ultimately, know, recruiting used to be all about the relationships, and now there's that financial piece that no matter how much the recruit may love you, love what you do, love love your scheme. Sometimes if it's just about the money, you're not going to end up getting that kid, no matter how great the relationship. Is so a little bit different than in that aspect. But we've still got kids that love the culture, love that we what we do. We're financially being able to take care of them. You know, it's the front office really now that has to take care of all those other things. You know, we're we're as coaches talking about, you know, how do we win games? And now you're hiring people and you're putting people in positions to deal with the professional side of things.
Speaker 1: Sharif shaw last year some interesting comments he gave to the Solid Yourbune And you know, I don't recall the exact figure, but I believe Sharif said, as you're calling recruits, if you don't offer something like fifty k right out of the gates. You can't even get them on campus. I mean, is that where we're at? Are there a lot of because you and Sharif and the staff. I mean, once upon a time maybe the recruiting was a little bit more regional, but now you guys have a footprint that spreads across the country. Are there really situations more than that you run into with a recruit out of state where you want to get them on the phone or get them on campus, and if you don't have something offer right up front, you can't even talk to them. Is that a real thing?
Speaker 6: Well, it's economics, it's supply and demand. That's who you're talking to. Am I talking to a transfer portal deligneman that's looking for just a spot to be someone that's trying to prove themselves. There was a lower division school that thinks that they're better than than that, a starter from another program that wants to be a part of a winning program. Everything is dependent upon their situation and supply and demand. And you know, is this a heist kid that you know maybe isn't a highly recruited kid versus your five star kid that's got every offer out there. Everything really is is situational, and you've got to be really good at understanding that. So this game, this you know, college football has changed quite a bit over the past few years.
Speaker 1: It has and you know it will continue to change and evolve. And we're hoping to get more information over the next couple of weeks. And we're actually getting some more information Morgan about the details of the house versus the NCAA settlements. And then come June, you guys, as a athletic department at the you and I use the football program, we'll have twenty million dollars to allocate. Are any of these things on your radar? I mean because for me covering the sport and covering the U, I think the house versus NCAA segment will actually bring some clarity so people like you and people like coach Wit and even people like Mark Harland don't have to guess how to do this anymore. Are these benchmarks that we look at people to cover the sport, something that you're dialed into and maybe looking forward to to get more clarity and more guidelines in place.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you have to be dialed into it. I mean it's our profession, it's what we do. And and you know, ultimately people want guard rails, they want rules, they want a level playing field, and right now that's not necessarily the case. So hopefully here in the in the next few weeks months, uh, we're going to get a lot more clarity and hopefully a level playing field. And you're always going to have schools that try and uh, you know, walk that line, and there were there was cheating before them. Still there's still cheating going on now and we'll continue to go on. But hopefully what this does is it's it levels the playing field.
Speaker 1: So let's move off of this and talk about some actual football. And you know, last year, Morgan, of course, everybody both locally and nationally picked you guys to if not win the Big Twelve. You were one of the top two or three picks. You were the Vegas favorite, you were the media preseason favorite. And I would imagine, no matter what you tried to do with your group, you cannot insulate them from information because we all have these computers in our hands that give us all the info twenty four to seven. So there's no way to protect your team from the knowledge that we all thought you guys were going to win the thing. I wonder if you feel like that extra added pressure or start the year had anything to do with the way that everything went. Of course, I always bring up last year with the context of a tremendous amount of injuries and health issues. But the pressure that you guys faced from the outside looking in, where we all thought you were going to win the Big twelve and go to the CFP, how did that affect the way last year went.
Speaker 6: I don't think it affected it all that that much. You know, we've got good kids that understand and it's all about what you do on the field, and you know, you can point to a number of different things. Bottom line is, turn on the film and what did the behavior say? You know, defense, from a defensive perspective, we missed too many tackles, We didn't create enough takeaways. We did some really good things on defense, But there's some things that we that we did that contributed maybe that five and seven season, right, And so what what did the film say? How can we improve? How can we get better on the offensive side? Obviously that's what they're working on and what coach Wit has worked to fix on the offensive side of the ball. Preseason talk. That's I mean, it is, it's what makes the game great. You get fans and they want to know about projections and where's everyone ranked. At the end of the day. No one ever puts a preseason ranking on their resume. It didn't you know, these preseason awards, no one does. You don't see that on anyone's resume. It's what you do during the season. It's the behavior that matters. And you know, unfortunately we had some things that you know, we didn't do well enough, and you know, staying healthy is one of them too. That in order to have a great season, you got to stay healthy. That's that's just a part of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, for sure, and that's always something that we bring up in context in the past couple of years. But I asked you that to dovetail into this, which is this year, you guys will not be picked to when the Big twelve. This year, chances are you're going to be picked like mid conference and most of the way too early preseason polls. I have no idea how they know how to do this because it is April and you don't play until August. But is having that pressure removed from the equations, something that you think could benefit you guys year two in the Big twelve.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't know. I hope. So my my our main focus, And honestly, I don't mean to dismiss that because you know kids will look at that, what are we picked to do? And you can use that as motivation that at times people don't believe in you. But when the ball's kicked off, it's all about are you playing the way we need you to play, Are you playing with great fundamentals and technique or you know, it's no amount of anger, no amount of of preseason hype, whatever it is is going to have a factor on you. Peddling the right way, breaking and driving the right way. That's that's what we do in practice, That's what we train for. So it's behavior that wins championships. It's teams that win championships, not talk for sure.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, when it comes to spring football, you know, we replay all the sound. It's nice to say with Kyle, it's nice to say with you, But occasionally coach will say something that kind of catches my attention in a different way than a spring football typical coach speak interview would go and Morgan. At least three, if not more times, I've heard Kyle say there's more positive energy in the building during spring than there has been in a long time. And I'm not trying to run anybody down. And the past is the past, and you guys have moved on. But you know, you know Kyle, he doesn't pull any punches. He's gonna let you know how it is. So when he says publicly multiple times, there's more positive energy in our building right now than there has been a long time, how does that land with you?
Speaker 2: What do you what do you think he's referring to.
Speaker 6: He's probably referring to market ottawaya yelling and screaming and singing all day that that enough in the office is enough energy. No, I mean, to be perfectly honest with you. This offensive staff they do, they've they've got a lot of energy the way they coach, the way they teach, and you know, Jason's done a great job really bringing everyone together and helping them understand what he's looking for and establishing their culture on that side of the ball. And it's been it's been fun, you know, not only obviously if you ever come to practice, you're always going to hear the defensive coaches yelling and screaming, and now you hear it from all angles and it's you know, it's very lively and guys are having fun. It's just it's a fun environment to be a part of. And that's what Coach WIT's talking about.
Speaker 1: I know this is not your silo, but we've had Jason and Coach went on. Jason back and Coach went on, and I've asked them both just just because of what we've been through over the past few years, is Devin the guy?
Speaker 2: Is Devin the starting quarterback?
Speaker 1: And they both said yes, if we went and went to play tomorrow, he's the guy. And Cameron Rising should always be remembered as an absolute legend for what he did for you guys at quarterback. But what sort of dynamic or relief, if at all, does it bring that you guys know who the quarterback is going into the season and there's no ambiguity about how that's going to play out.
Speaker 6: Webally just gives him him confidence. I mean, he should have confidence. It's it's his offense, you know, It's that he's been comfortable with the past couple of seasons. So Devin is a guy that's very competitive. He's got he's got great character, very football savvy, high football intelligence, and you know, I just love going against and Cam was the same way, going up against quarterbacks that are just competitive. They hate to lose. They're going to get their guys right where they need to be. And Devin is that guy and excited for his continued development and what he has in store for the season.
Speaker 1: You're losing some very talented defensive lineman as you know. Of course, Keno Town of Austa is now playing for Brigham Young and Junior Tifuna is trying his hand a pro football. Those are big losses. Morgan, what's the contingency plan? How are you guys looking up front?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I am elited I should say about what we have a defensive tackle and I think that's probably going to come as a surprise to a lot of people. But the guys that we brought in, the things that Luther Ellis is doing, you know, with the d tackles that we have with Jonah lay As, a kid that's been in the program that has just struggled to gain the weight and he's now weighing what we need him to weigh. He's quick, he's athletic, he's long levered. Dallas Bakalah, he is a freshman who was so productive and now you add another season and the spring ball where he's gaining a little bit more confidence and a little bit more power and strength. He looks fantastic.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: You look at Aliki vi Ma. He's a returning one of our returning starters that played started last year for us during times and you know he's taken on a leadership role and is doing great with it. Carson Kfusi is a is a freshman that we absolutely love. He's probably the pleasant surprise of spring football right now. Is this incoming freshman from Skyline High School is just tearing it up. Add to that, Sony mutuap Waca from Bishop Gorman is looking really good. We've got a couple walk ons and the two incoming freshmen. This is going to be a very stout defensive tackle group and I could not be more excited.
Speaker 1: All Right, buddy, before I say you lose, I've always described you as a combination of a guy that really loves to have a good time, but it's also deathly serious about anything he's involved in. And that goes back to when you were like eighteen years old. Is a running back in Highland High School? You know, kind of a goof when you want to have a good time, but when it comes to the task at hand. A very serious, serious person. But I've noticed Morgan from outside looking in whenever I hear you interviewed or whenever I kind of have a chance to be around you a little bit, this kind of maturation period where emotion has been replaced by pragmatism. And I don't know if that's a result of a lot of things that you've been through. You guys are coming off a hard season. Life is hard. It's not linear, it's not a straight line. But before I set you lose for our Youte football fan listeners, how have you grown and changed in the eighteen years you've been in Utah?
Speaker 6: Oh man, that could be a podcast in of itself.
Speaker 2: I want all of it. You go for a while, you.
Speaker 6: Know more from the losses than you do from the wins. And that's not just on the you know, the win loss record, that's just adversity that you face throughout your time, throughout your life, Trials that you have, stuff that you go through with your players, and I think what I've learned most is just empathy. People go through tough times, hard things, and you can be resilient and you can come back stronger, and you can be more understanding of other people's struggles and be there for others, lift others. And instead of why me, you know, why did this happen to me? Why did this happen for me? And what am I supposed to learn from it? And how can I be better? So I would just say that definitely have learned a ton from adversity and tough times that I faced, and learned from really good people, really good mentors, and have had an unbelievable staff to love and support me as I love and support them.
Speaker 2: All Right, my friend, Well, I always appreciate the time.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: I'm pulling for you over here in my space. If I can ever do anything, please let me know and enjoy the rest of spring ball.
Speaker 6: Okay, Spencer stud take care.
Speaker 1: Brother Morgan Scally, defensive coordinator, University of Utah head coach in waiting a couple of more practices this week. We've got four next week and it's time for the Forever twenty two game on Saturday, April nineteenth. Go to you tell you dot com for ticket information. I want to tell you by my friends at Courtland Ruffine, a great new client on on the program. Portland Roofing is your go to for all of your re roofing, your roof repairs and your roof maintenance needs. They're offering you a free insurance analysis, free estimates and senior discounts, so check them out online at Cortland Roofing dot com. Day one of the Masters, Augusta, Georgia at the Augusta National Golf Club where conditions just looked to be pristine. Feature Justin Rose going low sixty five, seven hundred par.
Speaker 2: He is your leader.
Speaker 1: Corey Connor, Scottie Scheffler and Ludwig Oberg all card at sixty eight's they are right behind, well three shots behind.
Speaker 2: They're in second place.
Speaker 1: Great day for Justin Rose, Terrell Hatton, Bryceon Deschambeau three hundred par and then Aaron Raye, Harris English, Jason dayan Ox shape of Tea at two under.
Speaker 2: Tony Fedau our local guy of course we're always cheering for.
Speaker 1: Tony is going to need a massive Day two to play the weekend. He is at three over par and with Justin Rose setting the standard at seven under. I'm not sure where the cut line is going to be, but Tony's gonna have to have a good day tomorrow, as will Wyndham Clark, as Will Phil Mickelson, Mike we Or, Sam Burns, Brooke Keepka, Patrick Cantley, Dustin Johnson, Maxhomme, a lot of really good golfers struggling Day one of the Masters.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: Final home game of the season for the Utah Hockey Club tonight, Nashville is in town and following the game, the Utah Hockey Club will announce their postseason award winners, including MVP and other awards. So if you have not seen a hockey game, it's a really fun experience. And the final home game of the season will be tonight for the Utah Hockey Club. After a very i would say successful year one here in Salt Lake on a number of different levels, they're not going to make the postseason. The wildcard is out of reach. They have officially been eliminated. But a fun chase and a really really exciting young team with a very very bright future. A big one tonight in the NBA, and we're going to have it for you. Probably the biggest game, not probably the biggest game on the slate for pro basketball tonight is going to be the Timberwolves and the Grizzlies from the Grindhouse. The FedEx form in Memphis, Tennessee, and as of right now, the Western Conference continues to be stacked up. The Minnesota Timberwolves are one game behind Memphis for the sixth spot. Now that's important because if you get a top six spot, you avoid the play in and you don't have to worry about going home early. Golden State has kind of come back down to earth. They're the only team between Memphis and Minnesota. They are a half game behind Memphis and a half game head of the Timberwolves. All right, in case you missed it, the rumor became official now. Jeff Goodman, one of the best college basketball media members Riders covered the game forever, is reporting that Rob Wright, who signed a one million dollar nil contract to stay at broke that contract and is going to BYU where. According to Jeff Goodman, bringing Me Young his Pain, Rob Wright three million dollars to play basketball and profo. You add that to Ajdbantsa, who the reports are seven million dollars. Now, the hard part about breaking these stories down or covering them or talking about them is we don't know for sure. Just those are the reports for people to cover college basketball. That de Bants is getting seven mil, Rob Wright's getting three mil. That is ten million dollars from BYU for two players to play for them, one certainly for one year.
Speaker 2: We'll see what rob Right ends up doing.
Speaker 1: The other report is they've offered Richie Saunders a seven figure contract to stay at BYU. And I just have to wonder how Kalani is digesting this, and now the football team is digesting this based off of the reporting from the Salid Tribune of the football team's NIL initiative is being cut prior to the start of last season because of a rough year one of the Big twelve. So a lot of BYU and I'm using air quotes media members they work for BYU, they're really not media members. So a lot of BYU employees, a lot of BYU apologists have taken a social media today to try to spread some sort of narrative that this is not about money, it's about the BYU experience. Just stop it, okay, just be honest about what it is. This is the game now. You should be proud that your institution is in a place where you can essentially buy the best players out there, because if you can't do that, you're not gonna be able to win. We just saw the four number one seeds advanced to the final four, and that's going to be how it is moving forward. The chasm between the haves and the have nots in college football and college basketball, it's can get to continue to grow. So instead of this hand ringing and this wailing of gnashing of teeth where BYU people are taking a social media to try to get in front of the story, just stop it. Call it what it is. This is not Rob Wright wanting more swig in his life. This is not aj Debantsa wanting more muss or excuse me, wanting what do they call the rock the BYU student section. This is about BYU writing massive checks for talent. And honestly, I've talked about this for years. I said, like the day after NIL became legal and NIL became a reality. So if you're a BYU fan, this is what you've been waiting for. Because if BYU wants to get into the game and money is the issue. Money is no issue for that school. Money is no issue for that religion, Money is no issue for that culture. It's just a matter of whether or not they want to get involved, and they're getting involved in a very aggressive way. And Kevin Young's gonna have a really, really good team next year. I don't know what it means for Alex Jensen and the University of Utah, but there was a piece of Utah Basketball news today that Eric Daniels has been hired as an assistant coach for the youth, so he will join Raphael Chilius as the lead assistant, and then Wes Wilcox is the general manager of Alex.
Speaker 2: As the head coach.
Speaker 1: But only two players as of now signed a play for the youth, so a lot of work to do to fill out that roster.
Speaker 2: Porter. I wonder how you digest.
Speaker 1: This with BYU people, folks that work for the school trying to get in the way of this story, like, Hey, it's about the BYU experience. It's about the way we know it's not it's about you writing checks and that's the name of the game.
Speaker 2: Now, there's nothing wrong with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's it's interesting to see folks try to try to spin that because I don't get why, right. Maybe it's a cultural thing. Maybe you don't want that that perception. But I've seen it a lot during the tournament, like people trying to say that that if you're looking for a team that does it the right way, like college basketball used to be look at BYU right because they've got a bunch of kids on their Sweet sixteen team that were recruited there, that you know, played there for three four years and then made their way up. Okay, that's not how college basketball is anymore. It's not how you want to be anymore. If there are cultural aspects that you want to put first and foremost of your program, cool, that's fine. But that's not why the kid from Baylor who had a million dollar offer on the table is coming here. It's not why the number two recruit in the country who was paid already to come play here in prep ball, It's not why he's going to Provo. It is an entirety, entirely different reason altogether. So for you, for you know what you said, why you know, why are you trying to put on that narrative when it doesn't matter. This is this is the reality of college sports. Now, you should want and you should be happy that your program or let's just say people around your program, because we don't know exactly what's going on behind the scenes until until.
Speaker 2: Those guardrails are put up.
Speaker 3: This is what you want them to be doing, and you should be happy that they are doing so. Uh, money is is the driver in college sports? TV money, booster money, and and then after that maybe you know ticket rip money, all all of the above. But uh, yeah, there's no there's no getting around what what is driving decisions and what is driving rosters in today's age of college sports and especially college basketball. B Why you striking hot? And uh you should be stoked about that if you're a if you're a Cougar fan, not trying to like backpedal, do do something else. It's it's uh unnecessary to me. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't really understand it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a weird thing. It's a weird dynamic. I don't really understand. You wouldn't be anything other than thrilled that you have the bankroll to be among the highest bidders and spenders in college athletics. That's how you're gonna get good players. It's how you're gonna win games. It's how you're gonna win championships. Ultimately, it's how you're gonna compete. And it's the only way to do it now. And I know a lot of people don't love it, but you can hate it all you want. It's where we're at. So fun Day one at Augusta, Georgia. Will be all over the Masters tournament coming up tomorrow and of course through the weekends. Utah Hockey Club and Action. Tonight we have a big NBA game on the station that features the Memphis Grizzlies in the Minnesota Timberwolves, FedEx form Memphis Tennessee RSL and talks to bring in a Slovakian striker. Alex Jensen hires an assistant coach for Utah men's basketball program. So very very busy day. Unexpectedly, you're almost to the weekend. Lovely Thursday afternoon, all right, Porta, before we get out of here, what comes our way on a Friday edition of the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as you mentioned Masters weekend, Spence, you're all wearing green.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had a busy morning.
Speaker 1: This is just I'm gonna pinch you. I wore this to the gym waiting Is that a safe? No, that's Saint Patrick's Day. But you know what, I'll wear a little green tomorrow in honor of the green jacket.
Speaker 3: I'm not Irish, so I don't really do the Saint Patrick's Day thing outside the corn beef. So if you don't wear You're green on Master's Week, that's when that's what I get it in. Rex Hogard stops by the program, the president of the Golf Riders Association of America and of course Golf Channel, NBC sports guy Howard Beck for your NBA Daily assist. We get Chris com Ronnie in studio, and we get Richard Smith in studio, and we finish off the week with Paul Pugmeyer after the cut line is decided.
Speaker 2: On a Masters Friday.
Speaker 1: There you go, and we're hoping that Tony fen Now can have a good round two after struggling out of the gates at Augusta. Our guy is three over par along with a bunch of other really good golfers. Looked like the golf course was playing pretty tough today. All Right, we will say good night, special thank you today to Amy Donaldson, Dave McManamon, Pablo Mash, Johnny and Morgan scallay for me the sound that you may have missed from the show today. Website is ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. Make sure to download our mobile app and take us on the go. The ESPN seven hundred app is available in the App Store and the Google Play Store for free. And then, finally, for what we do in our space every afternoon for four hours, check out our podcast page. It is called The Drive with Spence. Check its and it is available wherever you get your shows. So subscribe, rate, review, say nice things in the comments, give us all the stars. It actually helps out for porter. I'm Spencing and I enjoy your Thursday evening. We've got a little NBA basketball between the Grizzlies and the Tea Wolves coming up in a bit and join us for a Friday Drive and as well as you can catch that right here on ESPN seven hundred ninety two and FM. We are proud to be part of Utah's ESPN Radio network.