Speaker 1: This is time, come on the mat. This time is games up, seppings away in the games.
Speaker 2: On the last in my mind, beating the buzzer like this is my time.
Speaker 1: This is Welcome to the twos review on the SDH network. I'm Jason Longshore and I'm still trying to catch my breath after one of the more chaotic matches in recent memory for Atlanta United too. And this is a team that has lived and breathed chaos over the years. This one goes on the list that might be a special twos review at some point this season of the most chaotic moments in Atlanta United two history, this one makes the list. It was a three to two win for New York City FC two over Atlanta United. To here in Athens, Georgia, the Turner Soccer Complex on the campus of the University of Georgia, well not quite on the campus, close to the campus of the University of Georgia, a little bit different surroundings because of the field conditions at Kennesas State at Fifth Third Stadium, So the twos get to play in air quotes at home here for a one o'clock kick on a Friday afternoon. We had hydration breaks multiple in each half. We had four hydration breaks in total at the fifteen and thirty minute marks of each half. We played fifteen minutes of stoppage time in the second half due to a whole variety of shenanigans and things and happenings, and Atlanta United two comes up on the wrong end of a three to result the stats. Let's start with the goals. It started very very early for Rodrigo Nari second minute, about sixty five seconds into the game. He had a chance twenty seconds into the game and there he got another one and put it home. He opened the scoring, made it one nil Atlanta. New York City leveled it in the twenty ninth minute Nico Cavallo with a great finish with the inside of the right foot to the far post, off the hand of jad and Hibbert that made it one one. Went to halftime, and then a ten minute span in the second half, New York City scored twice a penalty that was a crazy sequence. Seymour Reid put the penalty home. The sequence before that was extremely strange. It was a turnover from Moyses to Blante, then to Blante doubled back to defend knocked it away. It gets through Armis and Masa Fero, and they both are scrambling to try to get on it. They end up up ending Julian Lacker. He draws the penalty. Reid puts it home. That's the fifty fifth minute. It's two to one. Reid got another one in the sixty fifth, barely on side with a three ball from NYC. Reid put that one home, scooping it over Jade and Hibbert. That made it three to one. Looked like at that point, maybe things are gonna be the way of the Squabs. I know the Pigeons are the first team, the Squabs. They have a squab on the shirt for the second team. Full credit to them for that. We call them the squabs around here. They have the three to one lead. Rodrigo Nari eight minutes after Reid made it three to one, he gets his second smashes it inside on the near post. No chance for mac Learned the goalkeeper to save it. That was the seventy third that made it three to two. Then everything imaginable happened in the last fifteen minutes or so. Then fifteen more minutes of stoppage time was added. Fourteen on the clock and then he added an extra minute, probably could have added two or three more minutes and didn't and it ended up finishing three to two. There was a red card in the one hundred and fourth minute, yes to Johnny Lopez, Jonathan Lopez, the substitute for New York City, and he could be facing a suspension for a while going head to head with Nick Sessek on his way off the field. That delayed things for quite a while and maybe should have had more time because that foul. Have to go back and look at it. I feel like there was at least ninety seconds on the clock of what should have been left at that point, and that was the last play of the game. New York City was able to clear what could have been a penalty. By the way, with Moys's tablante fouled, it looked like he was shoved once he got inside the box. The foul was called outside for the initial contact. Armis put the free kick in, it was headed away and that did it eventually here in Athens, Yeah, it was that chaotic. I don't feel like I'm exaggerating too much. Let's hear from Atlanta United to manager Steve Cook, right after the match. Here's my conversation with him. Crazy game here in Athens today, early, early goal, then New York City scores three, then you guys fight back into it. Just what are the emotions after that one finishes?
Speaker 2: I feel like a broken record. I'm disappointed for the players because they played so so well, created so many opportunities in the first half. I counted three to four big, big ch answers. But when it's one nil and you miss one and then you miss a second and the third and they're pretty standard chances and maybe a lack of confidence, you know, you invite to other team forward. We didn't do well in a transition and that got the game level. And I think if we'd have put the game away in the first thirty minutes, that would have been it. And you know, from then on we've played pretty well. Given the ball away in bad spaces for their goals. But credit to the players. They kept rolling, they kept going and probably should have had three and four and five goals, and that we're all saying, again, what if you know, but at some point you have to execute.
Speaker 1: It feels like it's so close to breaking that way for you guys. If there's one thing you could tweak to make that happen.
Speaker 2: What would it be? One thing I could tweak if I could wish on a start, it would be to give players confidence, especially when they missed chances. And it's called self confidence because it comes from the self. They have to believe in themselves. They have to say to themselves, it doesn't matter, I'm going to get on with it, keep demanding the ball in tight spaces, keep having the courage to go again and get the ball in difficult moments, and really literally say to themselves that I want to be brave. I'm going to be full of courage and I'm going to risk everything to score goals. And I think that is what I would I think that is the only thing that I would change about the things that we're doing.
Speaker 1: And back here on Wednesday for another match. Just how was the experience coming over to Athens and playing here.
Speaker 2: I think when you look at this place, it's first class. You know, this is what the league should look like. The surface is amazing. The staff here have been nothing but exemplary. They're amazing people. I think our staff as well. When I look at Juliana Rubin and you look at Kenley Nobles, who's literally turned over the world to get this going in difficult circumstances. For us all we've been on the road a lot. But Juliana Kennley, the work they've done to make this happen for these players is unbelievable and they deserve more credit than any of us. And again to the University of Georgia, thank you, because this is a top class facility for players to really go and express themselves and learn the game. It's the best field in the league. It's probably the greatest environment in the league. It's absolutely first class. So University of Georgia, thank you very much. Juliana Kennelly, thank you so much, because their work is unbelievable and we're here to try and put on a show for everybody and play well and execute, and I think the players have done that except for the final moment.
Speaker 1: Atlanta United two will be back here in Athens on Wednesday for a five o'clock kick. John Nelson and Madison Cruiz will have the call for you.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 1: Final stats between Atlanta and NYC. Atlanta outshot the Squabs twenty to twelve shots on target eight six Atlanta block shots for one Atlanta. Atlanta had more of the possession, They had the better passing accuracy at eighty seven percent. Three corners to in u ycs, four goalkeeper saves, three for Jaden Hibbert and six for Mac Learned of NYC fouls fifteen eleven. There were only nine fouls called in the first half, ends up with twenty six a much more hectic second half. Fifteen fouls committed by Atlanta, eleven committed by NYC. Yellow cards were three apiece and two yellows for Jonathan Lopez. He saw red and, like I said, maybe we'll see more after going head to head with Nick Sassek afterwards. Big thank you to Steve Cook, Big thank you to everybody with Atlanta United two for having us here and having us back on Wednesday. Atlanta United two is right there. Just my final thoughts on this edition of the twos review. We talked about it beforehand. They're right there in terms of the Eastern Conference, they're right there in terms of these games breaking their way. They have as many draws as they have wins and losses combined. It's been so close for this team. Last game, the one nil loss at Red Bull very close. It's a deflected goal that ends up beating them. They're missing a bunch of players right now, but as Steve Cook said, you're still getting the opportunities to put games away, and they did not, And they had the chances to do it and they did not convert. That's such a tough spot when you're at this level and you're trying to prove yourself for the next level, and you're trying to maybe force that belief in yourself to get to the next level. When chances are not falling, sometimes doubt creeps in. It felt like that happened a little bit in the first half. New York City took full advantage. Atlanta didn't put the game away. Like I said, there were two chances for Natri within sixty five seconds. One of them's in the back of the net. Felt like Atlanta could just run this up and run In Yc out of it, but they hung around. They end up turning the game. Full credit to the Squabs for doing that. Atlanta fought back into it, and that's been their story all season long. This has been a team that has battled and fought and had to deal with all kinds of chaos, but they come up on the losing end of it today a three two loss to New York City FC two. Like I said, John Nelson and Madison Cruse will take you through Wednesday's match here in Athens. Pregame coverage will start at four to thirty. Kick will be just after five. First team will be facing not the Squabs but the Pigeons of New York City next Thursday at Yankee Stadium. Mike Contie and I will be their Pregame coverage will start at six thirty with Abe Gordon and Madison Cruz. Kickoff will be at seven forty from the House that is the second successor to the house that Ruth built Yankee Stadium, NYC and Atlanta United next Thursday night. Thank you so much for spending some time with me this afternoon, for the match and for this edition of the twos Review. Audios everybody,