Speaker 1: Old is new passes prologue off. How is this attempt different than the first?
Speaker 2: Well, substantively it's not. But you know, unfortunately, the Supreme Court really didn't put an end to this one.
Speaker 1: Of their no teeth in there and their ruling.
Speaker 2: Well, the way it came up to the Supreme Court was that it was on a sort of a procedural issue, right, So when they issued their ruling, they said, well, at a minimum, you need to give her notice and an opportunity to respond to the allegations. This is the most basic concept and my kind of legal due process. So, you know, I thought, perhaps because the Court, when the Court re shoot his decision, Trump had already managed to clear the deck and get Warsh confirmed. So I thought, okay, well maybe they'll sort of back off now because he kind of got the political win he want wanted. But evidently not, so he's still going at it.
Speaker 3: When he wants ray cuts. But I do wonder why not try there are other people on the board who are against the ray cuts that he's calling.
Speaker 2: I wonder why not try them?
Speaker 4: The lady it's the black lady. Huh.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's been a theme.
Speaker 4: I think though at the end of the day for Mss Cook, she has shown the kind of resolve in this fight that is very admirable, because I think for some folks they could just say, you know what, I don't need this in my life. I don't need this hasshole whatever I can have on my resume. I was a Federal Reserve you know official. But for her, it's more about the importance of standing in the ground. Her attorney noted today these allegations are baseless now as they were a year ago when President Trump tried to remove Governor Cook and interfere with the independence of the Federal Reserve. No matter what President Trump tries to do next, this much is clear under the facts and Supreme Court. President there is no valid costs for removing Governor Cook.
Speaker 2: Period, right right, you know, look, I think in terms of you know what Eugene just mentioned in particular, one of the most telling early episodes of this administration was when to me was when the helicopter you know, there was an issue with the helicopter Reagan National and immediately Trump came out and decided to blame it on DEI because he when he knew nothing about what had happened, Right, I mean, this is an administration that treats, you know, black people, non white people, women in positions of powers presumptively unqualified and presumptively on the decks for removal. The only I mean, I don't know if it's the only, but the majority of not all the cabinet officials. He's fired women right right, And you know, the targeting of black women, not just at the highest level, but within the federal workforce itself as part of the firings and the purges or whatever, has been a major, major issue, and it's had an extraordinary effect on those people who have been in the federal workforce. Lots of very good articles, including at the Washington Posts, have been written about this issue and the effects on black women in particular who used to be federal employees. So, you know, I don't know ms Cook at all, but I do think she's doing something admirable and saying, you know, I'm here, you have no right to do this to me, and I'm not just gonna buckle.
Speaker 3: There would be other potential remedies for the president to try to write the economy other than coerce the resignation of a sitting board member. I mean, we just had Jared Bernstein on the hour before talked about there wasn't a need for him to go to war with Iran. There wasn't a need for him to decide to try to impose tariffs for a third time against the will of the courts and consumers who have had to eat the cost increases as a result of those tariffs. But let's also just go through some Trump's own cabinet members who have the multiple primary mortgages, which is what Lisa Cook has been under quote investigation for to begin with, Laurie Chavez, Duremmer now former Labor Secretary, Sean Duffy, Transportation Secretary Lee Zelden, he administrator. Is this going to be the line of the query that they pursue yet again or can they get more creative this time around?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think they have what they had last time still, and unfortunately the Supreme Court said, you know, you can give another go, and they've decided to do it. The argument has not gotten any better, right, it is a baseless case. It is a case or a set of allegations that could equally apply to plenty of other people who are not out of favor with the president. But of course they're not doing anything about that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's another instance of the administration sort of picking that sort of bluntest instrument that kind of has available, And it's not always an intelligent way of going about things right, right, but it is the way they choose to do. This part of it, I think is honestly a sort of a level of simple mindedness about the tools available to them in the government. I don't think they entirely understand the subtler forms of working within the government.
Speaker 4: And space is the kind that actually do a little thing called real due diligence and the hard way to do the homework.
Speaker 2: They don't do the homework right, so this is an easy way. Well, we'll have this Bill Polti, who nobody ever heard of before last year. It is not qualified to serve in the government. Spin this up, go out and pretend it's on the level, and then here we are a year later and change later. The arguments no better, and it's just as frivolous as it was the first time.
Speaker 1: To your point about not understanding the tools, it's also not understanding how the Fed Board of Governors works. Because Lisa Cook is one vote washes one vote. The chair does not have one more vote than everybody else. So just going after Lisa Cook does not even change what Donald Trump actually wants, which is for them to raise the raids. And honestly, if they're raising the rates, I'm not an economist, but I talked to them and they say, when you raise race, that's a bad move. That means that the economy isn't bad straits in dire straits.
Speaker 3: That's a very good point. And it gets to exactly what you were saying, which is sort of the simple mindedness of it all. And especially next week, there is an report that is supposed to come out which is likely to show that inflation, despite the jobs market showing some losses, that inflation is going to be even worse. And yet Trump this morning to Punchable News is still insisting on rates being cut. Let's listen to that quickly. Should Wash Kevin worsh Er Fetcher avoid a rate hike before the election.
Speaker 5: Well, it's up to him a little bit, but not completely. He he's got a board that's very political. The United States should pay the lowest interest rate in the entire world.
Speaker 3: So you think that he shouldn't hike rates before the election.
Speaker 5: It's not totally up to him, it's up to a board. I think he's great. I won't be criticizing him.