Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Koston's new radio.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks very much, Dan Watkins. As we move into the tenant the nine o'clock hour here, I don't get ahead of myself here, I am delighted to join by to be joined by Brian Kane, the executive Director of the MBTA Advisory Board. Brian, there's probably a little confusion here, so let's clarify things. What is the MBTA Advisory Board and as the executive director, what is your role in terms of either how the tea operates or how the people who operate the tea behave.
Speaker 3: Well. Dan, firstly, thank you very much for having me on Night Side. It's a real honor to be on your airwaves. Thank you very much. So. The NBTA Advisory Board was created in nineteen forty seven, at the same time the Metropolitan Transit Authority was created. We represent one hundred and seventy eight cities and towns that receive MBTA service or are next to a town that receives MBTA service via the station, and we have a statutory obligation to oversee the t's operating capital budgets, fair service policy, and we maintained very close links with the team management to try to keep them Monistan.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, so you are in effect a representative of the towns. But in addition, you're a representative of the patrons of the m b t A. That's you know, you're not employed by the MVTA.
Speaker 3: We talked, Sorry, Dan, go ahead, I'm so.
Speaker 2: Go ahead if I misspoke? What did I What did you want to say?
Speaker 3: No? Sorry, I was going to say, I do not work for the governor. I do not work for the legislature, and I do not work for the t I work for the cities and towns and their citizens.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, No, absolutely, absolutely. Now, there was some news today that you probably have heard of our newscast that the number of slowed zones have been have been reduced dramatically. I guess there's only slow zones left on the green line or in parts of the green line. What caused the slow zones? I assume it was problems with the tracks for lack of maintenance or maintenance that had fallen behind. Just for those who do not know the genesis of slow zones, you can explain it much better than I can, and I appreciate it if you would.
Speaker 3: Well. So a slow zone is a safety measure. So if there are any defects on the track, like a cracked rail or a broken sleeper, which is the sort of piece of wood in between the two pieces of iron that make a train track, there's any kind of a problem there, or even a problem with the overhead wires, what they'll do is they'll put in a slow zone, which is a ten mile per hour speed restriction, and that means for however long of a length of track that slow zone is in place, the train can only travel at ten miles per hour. Now, these things usually or should get fixed every so often, but the t forvariety of reasons, including lack of resources and the fact that when they were trying to do this stuff overnight they didn't have a lot of time, was not able to get to them until some of these slow zones were in place for years. And as your newscast referred to the Triple Crown, I like that what Phil Lang has done. The new general manager has gone in and really put a real emphasis on this, and through a variety of shutting down the system, they've gotten rid of all the slow zones as well, except for four that are left on the green line, and the GM has promised that they will be eliminated by the end of this calendar year.
Speaker 2: Now, I assume that the slow zones are an industry standard or is it a self imposed restriction of limitation that the TEA has placed upon itself.
Speaker 3: Well, it was really done out of an abundance of caution and for safety. So the idea is that if the train is going ten miles an hour, it's less likely to derail or have any thing bad happened to it. And chances are it could have gone faster over that piece of track, but out of an bumpet pecaution, they just made it go slow. And this is very common in the railroad industry across the country in a public transportation system. What wasn't common, Dan is the fact that t had so many of them and that it took so long.
Speaker 2: Well, I assume that was delayed maintenance, that the TEA probably over time before you arrived and before phil Ang arrived. That people said, well, we'll save a little bit in the budget here. But what I'm saying is it was it wasn't imposed by some government agency. It was something that the MBTA recognized and did it for passenger safety for which they should be commended. Okay, So one of the issues that we deal with the tea and if anyone has any questions about the MBTA, Brian Kana be happy to talk to you and try to address those issues. I'll be honest with you. I tend to ride the Tea very infrequently, although when I have been in a situation where I've driven where I've ridden the Tea occasionally, It's worked fine for me. But I'm not commuting five days a week on the MBTA as so many of my listeners and so many people are you mentioned today to me that you know that it's what two dollars and seventy cents to ride the Tea at the regular rate, And if you're going from one of the you know, near in Boston suburbs, that's not bad when you think about it. If you had to drive your car, and not only did you have to deal with the traffic that all of us are familiar with, but in addition to that, you're going to have to park your car somewhere. So if you begin to look at it like that, it starts to look like a pretty good financial decision. You know, for most people who need to get in and get out of Boston on a day to day basis, which leads me to my question, and that is, with the slow zones now slowly but surely having been eliminated, the number having been diminished, has TE ridership had a spike? Whe's Where's where's t ridership at this point?
Speaker 3: Sure? Dan, So, first of all, I misspoke earlier to your producer, and it's two dollars and forty cents for a one way fair. It's one seventy for a bus fare. So my apologies for that. That was my mistake. Ridership is coming back. It certainly is back on commuter rail, which has not had these sort of shutdowns to do this track maintenance this year. So the MBTA's contractor, Kiolis tells us that their ridership return rate is the best in the United States. In other words, more people are coming back to the MBTA commuter rail than any other commuter rail system in the cunt and that's very good news.
Speaker 2: And I assume that that refers to both pre and post COVID.
Speaker 3: Yes. Yes, In fact, they tell us that in many cases there their ridership now is above pre COVID levels on some commuter allies. One thing they've noticed though, is it's a different kind of ridership. It's not the five day a week folks buying their those monthly passes like which used to happen. It's folks going on a Saturday. They have the tea is a great program. For ten bucks, you and up to two kids under the age of twelve can ride for free. So it's a great deal. It's called a family Fair and they've had a lot of ridership, take a lot of ridership uptake, and it's caused their total ridership numbers to come way up.
Speaker 2: I'd never heard of that, and I listened a lot during the day. Did they advertise that? Seriously? That's that's the best deal in town. You know, a parent of mom or dad can take a couple of it's in or out of Boston for free on a Saturday. You're going to visit the Children's Museum of the Science Museum. That's that's terrific.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all weekend actually, so you can even use it the following day if you go on a Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But what I'm what I'm saying is that the pr people got to get on the stick here and get that word out. I was unaware of that.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, they should advertise on nightside then.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, but no, but they should advertise a whole bunch of places, because that to me sounds really fabulous. But anyway, so let's take a quick break here. I want to invite callers to call. This is an opportunity for you to raise questions. I've got a lot to talk about. We want to talk about the debt. How the MVT is going to dig themselves out of this this debt, How much of a deficit they'll have even this year is impossible? Is there any projection that it might break even some year? We get to all of that, everything you want to know about the MVTA. We talk about safety. The T had a spate of problems. You know, whether or not it was a staircase that would collapse, or whether or not a train would catch fire over the Mystic River and you'd end up people seeing somebody jumping off of train tracks into the water. All of us remember, those are the images that are indelibly etched in our mind. And the MBTA can improve, and they apparently have improved based upon what we're here tonight. But they got to let people know it's improved, and they got to let people know that it is safe and get this MBTA back in the organization which in operation, which in turn will lessen the number of people are out on the roads coming in on a daily basis or even coming in during weekends. If you want to talk with Brian Kane, he's the executive director of the MBTA Advisory Board. It's a very important board and it's a very important position. You can talk directly with him at six point seven two five four ten or six one seven nine ten thirty. And if you have a constructive comment or suggestion, we'd love that as well, particularly if you're somebody who utilizes the NBTA. We'll be back on Nightside with more conversation with Brian Kine, executive director of the MBTA Advisory Board, right after these few messages.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray Mine from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News.
Speaker 2: Radio with us is Brian Kane. Brian, let's talk a little bit of money here. The tea has always been in debt, or at least during my lifetime. Uh And right now you mentioned to me earlier that they're carrying about five and a half billion dollars in debt. That's about ten percent just to put in perspective of an annual Massachusetts budget. That debt has come down a little bit recently, but they have about five hundred billion dollar debt service, which is interest on the debt. I mean they're servicing the debt of half a billion dollars a year, and that is more money that the t earns during an entire year. Is this hole a hole that the MBTA will ever dig out of or can ever dig out of?
Speaker 3: In European Well, I don't know if they can ever dig out of it, then probably not, But I can't tell you that they have. They and their predecessor agencies going all the way back to nineteen eighteen have always been in debt, and that debt has always been a millstone around the necks of those transportation agencies. We just have a new report come out called Always Broke, and it looks like the history of governing and financing the MBTA since nineteen eighteen. And the thing that we discovered is ever since public control started right around World War One, this debt has been a problem that that the public transportation systems here have never been able to get out.
Speaker 2: From under of Now did you did the advisory board author that report?
Speaker 3: I wrote it for the Advisory Board, which voted to accept it at its meeting last week.
Speaker 2: And that is your second report that you have authored, as I understand it. Correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah. In two thousand and nine, when I was first starting out in this field, I wrote a report called Born Broke, which for the first time looked at the effect of the sort of so called big big debt on the MBTA's finances and really put that into the public realm for the first time. So the.
Speaker 2: MVTA, with seventy five hundred employees, that has to be one of the biggest employers in the state, or it has to be right up there in the top ten at big employers in the state.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yes, I imagine it is.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay. So with and you've got pension issues that go back decades where people were able to retire after twenty years, and there were individuals who retired after twenty years and then took a job in team management, some very high profile cases. It really ran wild in particularly after sixties, seventies and eighties, in terms of spending, and it seems to me that that is where the problem really mounted. Or am I missing something?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I think you're right, Dan. I think the problem has been when sort of political patronage gets involved and the NBTA gets away from its mission of moving the people of Massachusetts around the region on buses and trains and ferries and other types of vehicles, and it becomes a political dumping ground. I mean, that's when they start to get into money, quite frankly. And I'm not sure what the solution is, but we need to sort of get this thing up on its seat and then kind of get the politicians to butt out, quite frankly and let the managers run it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean there was a long time where the acronym MBTA did not represent for in the minds of many people, as the three Masters of Bay Transportation Authority was mister Bulger's transportation agency, I guess. And there were a lot of people who were close to the then Senate President who were picking up jobs. We'll leave that. We'll leave that for another time, for another night. Let's let's get some callers in here. Let me start off with RITA in East Boston. Reta, You called in early, and I'm more than happy to accommodate you. Before the nine thirty news around with Brian Kane, we're talking about the NBTA reader. What question do you comment? Do you have for Brian Kane?
Speaker 4: No, I just wanted to say, first, thank you for taking my call, and then I want to say, is it even possible to run a public transit that doesn't have like a deficit?
Speaker 3: Because I just think.
Speaker 4: It's the cost. The cost of having it is very important because if you start to reduce it and you start to take away features, that affects the population, which in turn I think would be then a bigger burden because then they'd have to try to live close to the city or wherever they work. Is it ever possible to never mind a deficit, but to ever just run it as sort of a break even? Are there transit systems in the area that can do that? Thank you?
Speaker 2: Stay right there, we'll get we'll get an answer for you.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you. Rita. Yeah, and so the answer is no. The only two that I'm aware of are in Singapore and Hong Kong, and those have a bit of a different government structure, shall we say, But in North America, Europe. None of them operate without government subsidies. This is a public good that we all benefit from and we all contribute towards it. A little bit.
Speaker 2: Rider to get a follow up or does that do it for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that does it for me on that issue, but we'll talk about specific lines on another call.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks Verder, appreciate your call. Yeah, how do we do? Everybody knows the Bay Area rail transportation system in San Francisco, New York, the Metro in Washington. Is there any way to compare the public transportation systems in other cities Philadelphia, Boston, wherever? Or is it just impossible? They're all so different.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're all very different, but they all do receive some federal money to help with their infrastructure, and so because of that, they all have to report the same information to the federal government. There is an organization but that Yes, it's they called the National Transit Database, which compares all of them across the whole country with the same measures. So yeah, it's quite possible to compare how each one is doing. Right now, the best performing system is the Washington DC Metro, which is actually run by a former NBTA guy Randy Clark, and they're doing very well. They were in real trouble a couple of years ago, very similar to what the trouble the TEA was in with the federal government, and they've come out of that and now ridership is back in many ways and they're doing a lot better.
Speaker 2: Well. I assume that of all the transportation systems, Washington, probably because it is Washington, has a lot more federal moneies available to it than Boston, New York, Chicago, and San Francisco or any other major city.
Speaker 3: Would it. Sure does? It, Sure does. I mean there's also a lot newer than certainly what we have in Boston or Philadelphia, Chicago or New York City. Like you mentioned, Ye, that.
Speaker 2: System was built, I believe, particularly the underground aspect, in the late sixties and into the seventies. Am I right or wrong on that?
Speaker 3: I think that's right then, Yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I had a buddy of mine who had been a major league pitcher who you know, in those days, they didn't make a lot of money, and his post career job was digging tunnels for the Washington DC metro system. Well, maybe probably not as glorious a job but it was regular pay and for several years. Brian Kane is my guest. He's the MBTA, he's the executive director of the MBTA Advisory Board. He knows all things MBTA. He's been in this post since twenty eighteen. I think he's doing a great job. Happens to be one of my favorite guests because whatever question you ask him, he will give you an honest answer. There's no political veneer with Brian. It's straightforward answer. So if you're an MBTA rider and you got a question, or you cite or you perhaps want to recommend something that could make it better, this is the person to talk to. You wouldn't get him between nine to five during the week because frankly he's too busy, But we got him tonight and he's available to you at six, one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty, six, one, seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. Those are the numbers. And even if you want to make a complaint, if you've had a good experience on the tea recently, or if you have a good experience regularly, I'm sure he'd love to hear from you. From the conversely, you've had a bad experience and you'd like to, you know, get it off your chest. Now's the time to do it. Coming back on Nightside right after the News at the bottom of the hour with Brian kin the executive director of the MBTA Advisory Board. And for those of you who don't understand, uh, necessarily what the advisory Board does, will recap that for you. And they have a tremendous amount of influence over the MBTA, representing the one hundred and seventy eight cities and towns that has some level of service from the MBTA here in eastern Massachusetts. Back on night Side, more phone calls coming up right after this.
Speaker 1: It's night Side, Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Fact with Brian Kane, the executive director since twenty eighteen, so he's been there a while, the executive director of the MBTA Advisory Board, and I find him to be extremely refreshing. It is difficult for us, Brian, just to make a point, it's so difficult for us to get any representative of the MBTA to come on this talk show. And the reason for that is I think the public relations people at the MBTA, their their job is to protect the leadership of the TEA, whether it's Phil Ang or someone else from from talking to just te Riders. To me, it's absolutely insane. And I don't know if you ever want to raise that with Ang for us, but love to have him on talk about his accomplishments. But the PR department there is intentionally, in my opinion, obstructive to us at any time that we try to get them, even even on you know, to say hey, look, we just want to come on and talk about your successors they have. It's it's it's very difficult. So I just mentioned that. And the contrast is you're ail your a willingness to come on at the end of a long day. This is a full time job for you. This is not some ceremonial job. This is a full time job that you work at. So let's let's keep going here with our questions and give people an opportunity to talk with you. My next call is from Tom in Boston. Tom, you are on with Brian Kane, the executive director of the MBTA Advisory Board. Whatever commented question you'd like to make a right ahead.
Speaker 5: Tom, Yeah, then great topic, Brian, Thanks for being there. I am a long term PE writer. I did six years of high school where I did the a bust the red line in the green line, and that was that was entertaining. And then they did twenty five years on the commuter rail and that was a pleasure. But recently I've done that.
Speaker 2: The first comment was somewhat sarcastic. I think I picked up a note of sedcasting the first part of the comment. So we'll let that one go.
Speaker 3: And I like the idea.
Speaker 2: It was a pleasure.
Speaker 5: Go ahead talk recently going going to the Red Sox. If I if I take the commuter rail over to Back Bay, they have a transfer to the train going to Yackey Way, and you just transfer and you go to Frienway parking, no parking fees. It's fantastic. It's time perfectly for the game. But the other the other car i'd maker is when I go into Boston now and I'm in the express lane, the hother lane, and I look over at the traffic. I scratched my head and say, why would anybody drive into the city and pay for parking? And now we have bike lanes and all these altar I say, take the team.
Speaker 3: Well, thanks, Tom, And you're right. There are other shuttle buses not only from Back Bay station, but also from Ruggle Station. The folks are coming in on some of those other lines that might go to Ruggles. There's a free bus from there too.
Speaker 5: Mm hm.
Speaker 2: Can you talk about tom when you talk about driving in and the dedicated I think you called it the hover line. My question is do you have another person in that car or is that a blow up doll that that city? I got normally the car right.
Speaker 5: Normally we do. But I have heard about other people not having two people.
Speaker 2: I'm only.
Speaker 5: One of the plug. One of the plug is I've gotten now that I'm retired, I've gotten to enjoy the commute of boats and we've actually not created Yeah, it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Are they running all you guys? Are they running all year? Are they still seasonal or what's what's the deal on those?
Speaker 3: So some of them run year round, then the Lynn Ferry because it has to sort of go out into a little bit more of the open ocean, and the Salem Ferry because for the same reason, they will be ending very soon if they haven't already ended. But the ones that stay sort of in the inner harbor, sort of the this side of hull in Winthrope, they'll run year round unless there's there's ice, or unless the Coastguard tells them not to, so they hang them. The Hall East Boston and Charlestown ferries are year round. They're fantastic. The people that take them love them, and they serve. They serve a few drinks there at the end of the day. If that's your If that's your.
Speaker 2: Choice, okay. On the return trip, not going in in the morning, that's important as well, Hey, Tom.
Speaker 3: One of the go ahead.
Speaker 5: One other comment. You mentioned mister Dougherty a little while ago. I think in your Civics class he told me about the intersection of massav and Huntington AB all the utilities that are there in the subway system. You know, the Boston subway system is how many years old? One hundred and fifty? I don't know.
Speaker 3: What. Yeah, eighteen ninety seven, Wow, I thought, okay, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Was that the same mister Dougherty that I referred to by by chance?
Speaker 5: Yes, I love Charlestown.
Speaker 3: Was he Chilestown?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure he's from. I had him as a ninth grade Civics teacher with Boston Latin School. Did you go to Latin School?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: I had him for history, but he was so entertained. Yeah, and I used to see him. I used to see him waiting at park streets for the trolleys that were running a little bit late.
Speaker 6: Tom, You've been a very enjoyable caller for me, humorous, you brought your a game and uh and I think Brian enjoyed it as well because there was nary a criticism here.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, thanks, thanks.
Speaker 2: Thanks Tom. Talk to you soon if we go to Bill in Norfolk, Massachusetts. Bill, you're next on NICEID with Brian Kane, m BT, a Advisory board executive director.
Speaker 7: Hey Dan, I also had Dolreaty and Civics ninth grade a lot.
Speaker 2: How about this is the small world here? This is I.
Speaker 8: Know he was, he was great.
Speaker 7: But I have something unusual here. I have praise for the n b T and a question. Okay, good, good. The first praise is I volunteer for the Red and we have a great relationship with the MBTA, And I tell you anytime we need them, we call them. They help us out. Just two quick stories. I did a big fire in Hull. I had about twenty displaced in a boarding house and we we got them hotels, you know, like ten miles away, so we had to get them there.
Speaker 8: Nobody had a car.
Speaker 7: One phone call.
Speaker 8: The teed buses there. I was actually emotional when I saw that TEA bus show up. We did a big fire in Randolph earlier this year. We had sixty displaced. One phone called in the MBTA.
Speaker 7: They had two buses there for me and it was cold, so.
Speaker 8: We had to get people, you know, into the tee. But that's the praise. My only question is I had a buddy.
Speaker 7: We did twenty years in the MBTA, and you know he got there early.
Speaker 2: He the way you carried. When you said I had a buddy who did twenty years, I wasn't thinking about the NBTA. He worked for the NBA.
Speaker 5: He worked, but he got a pension.
Speaker 3: Dan he was forty two.
Speaker 8: He's got a full at forty two. Is that still happening, guys?
Speaker 3: So no, I mean it's still it's still very a very very good deal. And let me see if I can briefly explain. So they have a pension system that goes back in pre day social security was negotiated back in the nineteen teams and it's still in existence. The deal is, if you go to work for the tea. You cannot get any money out of the system unless you're there. It used to be twenty three years, now is twenty five years in a lot of cases in the private sector, even if you work for the state, if you do ten years, you can get some money out to tee. The deal is you have to do twenty five before you can get a dime out. But once you do twenty five, you can get eighty percent of your highest three earning years. And that's and that's the pension system. Back in the day, folks used to like, like your friends would start working there and there at twenty at forty three, they'd be out. They pull their pension and then go get another job.
Speaker 7: And he retired twenty years after in another place.
Speaker 8: He had a pretty good deal.
Speaker 3: It's a good deal. It's also eligible for Social Security. I mean, it's a real good deal. The only thing I'll say, and again I'm not justifying it. I'm not defending it. I don't I'm not in it. You know, those whatever they get when they retire tends to be what they get for the rest of their retirement, so it doesn't really go up very often. There's not the cost of willing increases that are automatic, Okay, but yeah it is. It's something that probably should get looked at. Well.
Speaker 2: The other fact taking that and I don't I don't want to defend it because I was as outraged as anybody is that if that pension program was instituted in the nineteen teens, nineteen fifteen or whatever, the life expectancy of the people who are working in the NATA, and you know that era they had been born in the eighteenth century, in their life expectancy probably was fifty five fifty six, fifty seven from an actual aerial basis. If that, uh, and as that system did not adjust over time, that's when you had the people who were retiring at forty two after twenty years. And then was we're able to tack on a second job and in some cases a second job with the MBTA by the way, really.
Speaker 3: Aware of that, yeah, or a contractor or a vendor, you know that, right? That's yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I think there was one guy who ended up being uh, the general general manager after having worked in the T If I'm not mistaken. I don't want to mention the name that I think because I don't want to make a mistake, but I think it is even that was one of the more outrageous cases in my opinion. But Bill, you you raise great points. I thank you so much for your.
Speaker 7: Call and bring that message back to the Red Cross. I really appreciate it to what you guys do for us.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Thanks, sure, Brian will bring that back absolutely. Thank you, Bill, and by the way, thank you. As a Latin School alum, assume is PREMI to be involved in some of the programs that you were involved in as a volunteer. I don't want to ask you what year you graduated, but just tell me who your head master was when you're graduating.
Speaker 3: I'll be able to figure out doctor Leary.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, I got I get a pretty good idea. We might have been classic.
Speaker 7: I'm right behind you, brother, I'm right behind you.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Bill, you're doing that. You're doing aid school problem. Thank you much appreciate it. Okay, Well take quick break. My guess is Brian Kane. Brian, you've had an easy ride tonight. You've got some really good response and we'll keep it up. We've got room for a couple more six one seven thirty or six one seven, nine three thirty coming back on night Side right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: My guess, Brian Kane is the executive director of the MBTA Advisory Board. We've talked about the tea. Now for this hour, we'll take another call at least if you'd like to jump on board if you got a question criticism. I think you've had a pretty good night here, no criticisms and mostly lawn its. Let's see what Sachi in Saugus has to say. Sachi, you are next on night Sign with Brian Kine, Executive Director, Sachi of the MBTA Advisory Board. Satu, you go right ahead.
Speaker 9: Yes, I have a couple of small questions that MBTA is one of the law actually not. It's the largest landowner in the entire state of mass and there's so much a land that is not being used by MBTA, and there's like kind of abandoned and finally they just realized and they you know, they leased it for ninety nine years lease for the bike bad and for an example, Lane Lynn, and they never finished the bike back and they're homeless shelter tents and they as needles and so on. So what MBTA is planning to do with the cities that they are not doing their job to complete the bike path and get all these tents out.
Speaker 3: So a good question, sat. So, I don't know the exact details of that particular piece of property, but if it's been leased for ninety nine years, it's probably been leased to a third party. I don't know if it's the City of wind or if it's a nonprofit.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: The responsibility for get cleaning up the needles and getting rid of the homeless encampments is up to the lease holder. So when the NBTA sort of leases it, it sort of says, now you're you're in charge. Uh. There are some there are some exceptions, and maybe the t is responsible for this particular one. I'm not sure this particular case, but you know what, let me let me take that. I'll see if I can find out if the is responsible. I'll talk to some folks tomorrow and if it's the case, I'll encourage them to get out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where where is the satchi satchi? Where exactly is the location so that you can help Brian Lynn.
Speaker 9: Right past Bennett Street Bridge, it's going all of it to the live NBT a line and it comes to a dead end in Lynn And you said you.
Speaker 2: Just did I hear you?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: You said Bennett Street.
Speaker 3: Bridge Bennett Bennett Street.
Speaker 2: Okay, good well look and the thing is.
Speaker 9: If you actually look at it, I have a land right next to it, and I have a bear that you know, stop the bear that a long time ago. If you google it on the bike path, that's a fast end, you know, end up my property. And after that it's all They didn't do nothing and just random people just pretense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, SATCHI let's do this. Sat listen to me for second place.
Speaker 6: Yes, I want you to leave your number with Rob, and Rob will give your number to Brian and I guarantee you that Brian will look into it and he will get back to you with some information.
Speaker 2: I just I don't want to leave your hanging.
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh no, no, the problem.
Speaker 9: And I have one more question besides that.
Speaker 2: Well, if you could be quick, I got another caller who I'd like to accommodate.
Speaker 3: I'd like something quick.
Speaker 9: That's the MBTA police still exist or did they change it to transit priest just for the federal funding. So we must save some money over there.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Transit Police still exists. They have jurisdiction in all one hundred and seventy eight communities and they're still I know they've had trouble recruiting SAT.
Speaker 6: You do me a favor, Please leave your number, Please leave your phone number with Rob and if.
Speaker 2: You'd like to get some update on this information. But I gotta get you, gotta let you go. I getta get one person in here. Let me get to George and Arlington. George, you're calling late. You got to be quick. You're on with Brian Kane. Go ahead, George.
Speaker 3: Okay. Two quick questions. One, uh, I love the tea? When a scooter scooter as bad as not? Is there an IRIS SAT? And why don't they ever get back to us when you make a comment. I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. What an I r C customer on the customer response thing is an IRIS? HEAT always responds you know we'll get back to you. Nobody ever gets back to us, is that right? I'm sorry? So, uh, I'll tell you what. Let me let me see if I can get in touch with you again. Dan, if you don't mind, can you give this gentleman my number and you can contact me and George.
Speaker 6: George, we're gonna, we're gonna we won't give you Brian's number, but we're gonna take your number.
Speaker 2: Rob will take your number, George. Uh and Brian, Brian, if you can remember. Well, obviously Satchie wanted to talk about the the the areas in Lynn and George is talking about a more general question, which is people getting back to them when they leave a comment on some sort of line. Uh, well, don't you hang up when when we finish, and we'll Rob will give you both of those numbers. Okay, I can't quite understand. I was trying to help Satchy more than he realized. Brian, you have helped us tonight and helped all the people who have an interest in the m bt A. Thank you so much for coming on. And if you see the general manager, he'd love to I'd love to have him come on and and take some calls. And I think most people tonight are a little happy with the m b t A. They were the last time you were on, which is which is a sign of progress.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, Dan, it's a real honor to be on Night's side. And I have the utmost respect for you and your listeners and all that you and they do. And thanks again, and I hope you'll have you back sometime.
Speaker 2: You bet you, we'll have you back more quickly than you realize. And thanks again for tonight, and don't hang up, Rob, Will Giff get you those names and phone numbers. When we get back. Right after the ten o'clock news, we are going to talk about the decision by former Congressman Matt Gates to drop out to I would want to say withdraw his nomination, but I guess I'll say that he's going to withdraw his nomination. The President has already nominated a successor, the former Attorney General of the State of Florida, Pam Bondy. I had a different suggestion. I want to talk about this. This seems to me to be an unforced error that the Trump administration has made here with Matt Gates. I couldn't understand why the nomination was made in the first place, and I think that Gates did everyone a favor by dropping out. We'll be back right after the ten o'clock news talking some politics. Right after this