Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: We're just a couple of days away from the second weekend of the NFL playoffs, and I am excited. First game is going to be the Texans and the Chiefs. I kind of love Texans plus eight and a half, and it's probably just because I want to be able to believe that the Chiefs aren't as good as they actually are. But if you've watched them this year, they're still winning. And technically that's all that matters. Nobody's going to be shocked if they just roll in and win another Super Bowl. But visually and even statistically, the only thing that's super similar to what they've done as of the last I don't know five six years wins They don't. I mean, I'm not watching them every single week, but like, they just don't look like I remember many many games when you would watch the Chiefs play rather be playoffs, regular season, super Bowl, whatever, you would just sit back and think, it's not fair like this. You should they shouldn't be able to be this good. And again they're still winning. They're still really good. But just visually, I'm not as I just don't think they look that scary.
Speaker 3: Austin, we're talking about the the Chiefs, all right, Yeah, no they're they're not. But just the pedigree of everything that they have going on, of course.
Speaker 2: They're not gonna crumble in those moments, right, but they just don't look And again, if that's the case and they keep winning, that's great. But I don't know, I just feel like when I've watched him this year, it's just and by the way, Mahomes, he's winning, but like his statistics this year outside of wins, like it's extremely blah.
Speaker 3: It just always seems like every game that I watched this year and all mean to sound like that guy, but here you go, it just always seems like in every big moment you see him kind of get bailed out. I don't know if that's good. They're gonna really eye on that when they get to the playoffs because maybe they just reached the point in their their dynasty where they're the regular season just kind of nothing. They get to do what they got to do to get by, but they they're just kind of waiting for the playoffs, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I feel like it seemed like that for them for a good chunk of the season. And look, they get some breaks that go their way and a lot of teams do. This is my theory on the Chiefs because I've been just like everybody else that whenever they get a late call or they get, you know, something that goes their way and they can take advantage of it. I'm screaming like what this. There's clearly some bias going on. They clearly are in the bag with Andy Reid and Mahomes. They want them to win. They want the Taylor Swift story to be the biggest thing, and if the Chiefs are still alive, then everybody's going to talk about it in real time.
Speaker 4: I feel that way.
Speaker 2: But I think what the Chiefs are is that they're so good that they will absolutely make you pay and absolutely take advantage of any mistake that you make, to where if you do, in fact give them a break, they'll bear you with it. Right like early this year, the Bengals should have beat them in Kansas City. Yeah, and there was a I mean it was a blatant past interference, like something you just can't do. And I feel like all the noise was all here we go Mahomes and the Chiefs getting bailed out, Well, yeah they did, but that's your fault, Like you bailed them out, and then what are they gonna do.
Speaker 4: They're gonna make you pay for that mistake.
Speaker 2: So they've certainly had some breaks go their way, probably more so than others to an extent, and mahomes whining and crying at times seems to work for him, meaning the refs seem to, you know, make some adjustments. But I'm just a hater man, because are really good. I mean, I don't think it's out of line to say that they are currently in the midst of a dynasty. But man, I hate them. And you know what, every I mean, villains are needed, and they're a great villain I think sure. I mean, I think they're very very much an easy team to hate. And one of those reasons is because they're really good.
Speaker 4: And I don't want it to be good anymore. I'm tired of them.
Speaker 3: I just don't you throw in like.
Speaker 2: The Jackson Mahomes stuff. And you know, Patrick Mahomes's wife, she you know, I don't hate.
Speaker 3: Her as much as everybody else does.
Speaker 4: Talk to me about that. Why, Like what I mean like.
Speaker 3: I mean, she's just did you watch the Quarterback?
Speaker 2: That's what I was gonna ask you, is because peep, everybody who I that show, which I have not watched, which is crazy because it's the exact kind of stuff that I love, but I haven't watched it yet. It's interesting everybody tells me that Brittany Mahomes.
Speaker 4: The bar was set so low for her. She's actually not as bad as you would think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And that uh, and that Kirk Cousins looked like the nice.
Speaker 4: Wholesome man in the world.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean he's he's just your stereotypical white guy, you know, like dad, white dad, right, no white dad, which and and I never has a Viking.
Speaker 4: Like he's he's air monarchs. He's the Nike air monarch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's the yourtypical Colts cash kind of Guy's well for the for the games, but I mean he's just I never loved him for the salary that he imposed, but I would have loved him as a Vikings quarterback if he didn't demand half the roster's salary. But the Brittany Mahomes thing, you know, she's a feisty, competitor athlete, just like Patrick Mahomes is and I guess that's sort of the way that they attracted it each other. And she's very supportive. I guess she could probably be annoying on an Instagram and from the surface, that's what every football fan seems to, you know, look at.
Speaker 4: And also her voice, I can.
Speaker 5: Understand that that's a real issue for me, like and usually if she's on social media yelling in a game like I just I want to go put my head in the wall.
Speaker 3: She's a competitor, she's also she's also not bad to look at. I think she's pretty hot regardless of what everybody you know, I mean, I mean she I would say, Patrick mahomesh you know, if you didn't know what she looked like and you didn't know who she was, you think Patrick mahomes his status in the world here is maybe the best quarterback we've had in a long, long, long time.
Speaker 2: Makes sense that you have a hot wife, right, Yeah, A real shocker. Real surprised if he didn't.
Speaker 4: So do you see?
Speaker 3: Patrick Mahomes kind of come off as a little bit as a cry baby, but he's also a feisty competitor too. He's yelling at Max Crosby.
Speaker 2: Made I've made this comparison before. These two guys, for really a good chunk of their career have been the face of their leagues. Patrick Mahomes in the NFL and Steph Curry with the Warriors. They're they're good people, Like, they're not criminals, they're not bad role models, They're they're they're pretty damn likable, to be honest with you, But I have just you know, I to me, they're the villain. Their team is especially like I and and really Steph Curry, I never really disliked him.
Speaker 4: I just disliked the Warriors.
Speaker 2: In a major way, mostly because of Draymond Green, and with that it just kind of, you know, Steph, Steph became a part of that. But Steph Curry, I mean, he's one of the best players of all time. And him winning a ring after KD left, I thought that said a whole lot about him. I thought that meant yeah, and really that era of the Warriors in general, you know, Steph Curry is he's he's a really good dude, and he's a he's a guy that's hard.
Speaker 4: He's hard to dislike.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm always going to be anti Warriors, and it's it's mostly because of Draymond. And one thing that that that, you know, did sort of change how I feel about Steph, and I guess reminded me that, like, you know what, I've never he's not a hateable guy. It's just I'm a hater. He's so good and his team is so good, and I hate Draymond. So I've just been again anti Warriors forever. But we went to the NBA All Star Festivities last last year, me my dad. It's the same trip. We do a trip every year, me my dad, my son, and my nephew. And last year we didn't go to the Louisville Games because you know, they were terrible. So we went to the NBA All Star Festivities and that morning there was an open practice that fans could come and watch, and Lebron wasn't there, and he was scheduled not to be there, so it wasn't like he no show, but he wasn't able to be there, but everybody else was and a lot of the guys were out there just kind of being too cool and just you know, not really into it. And it was mostly kids that were there just to kind of, you know, see the guy's practice. Yea, and Steph Curry got on the mic and kind of mceded and talked to everybody and was really into it more so than any other All Star And that at the time didn't really stand out to me. But my son he he the reason he knows who Steph Curry is because of that. He tells people he saw Steph Curry cool. And you know, had he not done that, my four year old wouldn't have any I mean, he can't name many NBA players. He knows Lebron, he knows Steph, but like he tells people he knows Steph because Steph was, you know, thirty yards from him talking to the crowd and you know, being engaging with fans and presence. That kind of stuff goes a long way, and same thing fit, same same thing can be said about Lebron, Like I get why everybody who doesn't like Lebron doesn't like Lebron, Like I totally understand me as one of the Yeah, I totally understand. But in the grand scheme of things, he's been a pretty good role model for kids as far as just you know, like he's he's done a lot of good stuff, seeming that he understands the value that he like, the power that he has, like he could change a kid's life by you know, man. There's one video that that was when he was with the Cavs for the first time, or it might have been when he when he was with the Heat, but he ran over over before tip off to a young young man in a wheelchair, a kid in a wheelchair, and and just kind of shook his hand. He was a special needs child, and you kind of really wanted to let the kid know that Hey, I you know, I don't know, I don't know what what message was exchanged, if anything, but it was just a it was a cool moment for Lebron to do that and the crowd to see it and go crazy, and then you could tell visually just that that was that was awesome for that kid. So you probably never think about it when you're growing up and you are, you know, dreaming of one day being a professional athlete and being a star. And obviously very rarely does it work out for people, because you know, only those that are very very gifted can can can do that. But with that I guess, uh status, that fame you're you don't you can say that you're not a role model. You're not trying to be a role model, but like you kind of like you are, like you know, you can do with that what you will.
Speaker 4: You're not entitled to live live a certain way.
Speaker 2: Because you have to worry if if kids who watch you are gonna that's not really your responsibility. But you know you also can use that and do a lot of good for people, and I feel like for the most part, those two guys specifically.
Speaker 4: Have done that.
Speaker 2: All right, let's see, Yeah, the other NFL games on the other NFL game Saturday is the Lions and the Commanders.
Speaker 4: I Lions minus eight and a half.
Speaker 2: These are two, by the way, both games Saturday eight and a half points spread.
Speaker 3: I like the Chiefs to cover eight. I wouldn't be shocked if the Commanders put some frightend.
Speaker 2: I'm not doubting the Commanders anymore because I've been doing that for the last few weeks, just thinking that rookie magic was gonna run out. But no, they've been They've been really, really impressive.
Speaker 3: Just as well coached, and they have a lot of talent and what their defense finally could get exposed or beat up defense possibly could get exposed. I know a lot of people, a lot of Lions haters, including myself, has been saying that for the longest time because they got guys that were just sitting on a couch about a month ago now playing. It's gonna be really hard to keep up with Jaden Daniels and McLaurin and Johnson all those.
Speaker 4: They've got a lot of momentum right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I feel like, maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like that that seems to matter more than it used to, right Like, I think the Steelers that showed up in Baltimore, or Ryan Johnson should showed up in Baltimore, like they they were clearly not in a good way because they lost what five six games to end the season. So I mean Minnesota, you know, they ended up I mean they didn't have they didn't have a lack of momentum, but they ended up, you know, carrying a loss with them to LA and and or where did they play?
Speaker 3: But then yeah, well well it was technically a road game against LA, but they played in Arizona.
Speaker 4: Okay, I knew they played somewhere else, So you know, we'll.
Speaker 3: Answer your question a couple couple The Monday no Tuesday show. Yes, the Vikings and just in Minnesota in general, cursed, absolutely, cursed sports franchise, cursed town everything.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 3: They had the they had the Twins, they had the Twins championships, thinking like the eighties, But ever since then they've just been a tormented franchise, a fan base.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and and I'll look that that was that was a bad way to end it, especially after a season that was so successful until then till the very end. But also, the Rams are on fire. The Rams are dangerous right now. So do I straight up? I mean, I get why they're they're not favorites here and Philly's good, but no, I'm with you. I think the Rams are a team that they can make the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: I really believe that.
Speaker 3: You get that quarterback and uh head coach Combo, that's going to be pretty scary.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: And the Ravens and the Bills will wrap it up on a Sunday evening.
Speaker 4: Bills were favored.
Speaker 2: I believe when it opened at one at one and a half, maybe now it is Baltimore minus one and a half. That'll be the That'll be the game of the weekend. I am really really looking forward to that. All right, we're gonna get the phone lines in just a second. But Austin, did you hear the radio announcers for the Vikings?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Paul Allen, the guy is.
Speaker 2: They They were all I mean the broadcast crew for pro teams. And I've net know, I didn't grow up listening to a pro team on the radio because we don't have pro teams around here as far as the pro sports that I watch, so like, I don't really have a connection or a reference point. But what I have heard, like especially when we have the Bengals guys, because the Bengals games, of course, are are on our station here at seven ninety, so I've listened to the Bengals radio crew, and I've listened to the.
Speaker 4: Colts as well.
Speaker 2: You get a little bit more of like the obvious homer, and I get it because you are on the team, but not on the team, right, you work for the franchise. You're not a player, but you're on their team essentially, So you know, it's a little bit more acceptable at the college level. It didn't used to be that way now, Like for example, Paul Rodgers, he works for lear Field, but lear Field, of course is the middleman for broadcasting, and U of L Learfield owns the broadcast right, so you know it's kind of by default. So you still hear some homerism from local broadcasts, from like college broadcasters, but in the NFL, it's like it's extra, it's big time. And to hear how mad these vikings radio guys were at Sam Donald, it was hilarious.
Speaker 6: And him Aaron Jones Addison in motion to the right, you receivers left rams Blintz.
Speaker 4: Donald gets away from it, steps up in the pocket.
Speaker 1: He's holding it too long.
Speaker 4: Run just run off the twenty five yard line. He's sacked for a fifth time.
Speaker 7: All he's got to do is pull that thing down and run and get as much positive yardage as he can. There were five to seven yards easy there to be made. He saw Buffalo do this to them all day long because they're not always disciplined in their lanes. But if he pulls this thing down right there, he has a good five seven yards, if not more.
Speaker 3: Right, take what's there, but holding that thing, man, that guy is great. There are so many calls and then I just ran into one. TikTok. Some of the best home announcer calls and it's all Paul Allen and the Vikings broadcast. That's just being absolutely let down in the playoffs. So famous.
Speaker 4: I love the raw and real energy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's he's great. They got I think that guy is fantastic. He's definitely a home where I've tried listening to a show a couple of times. I really don't love Homer Radio, but just like listening to him call games. Of course, the one that's funny, the one where he had the Saints whe Brett Faarr threw across his body and he joked that one. This isn't Detroit, man, this is a super Bowl.
Speaker 4: That's that's a that's an iconic call.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: If you ever, if you're somebody that's interested in that entertaining broadcasters that aren't that, know that they're gonna add some flavor as well. You're gonna be entertained, not by just the sport itself, but they're going to bring something to the table. The Charlotte Hornets local TV guy.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I'm talking about. Yes, he's amazing.
Speaker 2: That guy goes crazy. Love everything, love his energy. All right, let's go to the one lines five two, five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number. If you'd like to join us, let's go to Paulette.
Speaker 4: How are you, hi?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 8: Hello? I wanted to mention another NBA player that has a great reputation, great athlete, great for the kids, and that's our own Donovan Mitchell.
Speaker 4: You are absolutely right.
Speaker 8: I went to my sons up there and our Christmas gift was a third row seats and we got to see the game late December, and he comes out, he talks to the fans. The fans absolutely love him. Cleveland has really embraced him, and he's he's one of those He.
Speaker 4: Makes us look good, doesn't he? Paul Ette?
Speaker 8: Oh, yes, yes, and yes he talks to the kids so that we were all proud to be Louisville fans and at the Cleveland game.
Speaker 4: That's awesome, Paul.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the call, and I appreciate you sharing that with us. I mean, Donovan is I mean, what a guy?
Speaker 4: What a guy.
Speaker 2: Lamar and Donovan are phenomenal at what they do, but they're also guys that I feel like have an insane amount of respect from their peers within their professional leagues. I mean, it's quite clear both of them do to be honest with you, and you know, being good is really what matters. I guess when it comes to your job, like you can be a you can be a guy that gets respect and people like and you know, you got to be able to play. But those two again, we're Donovan is in the midst of an MVP caliber season. He won't win MVP, but the Calves are one of the best teams in the league. He's clearly their franchise player. And then Lamar Jackson's is about to win his third MVP, So that alone is awesome. But the fact that they're really good dudes, that that not only you know, are good role models for kids and and there you always see stories of them doing you know, using their platform, using their fame, their status to to do good.
Speaker 4: You know, they realize that they.
Speaker 2: Could change a kid's life or you know, give a kid a moment will never forget, just by you know, tapping them up at a game or something like that. And there's been a lot of examples of those guys doing exactly that. And you know both of them do this for sure. But I just think Donovan, with his personality, I mean, I cannot believe how often he is throwing love to Louisville's way, Like obviously you would think you would think that whenever louill does something great, he's going to be, you know, given support. You would think that, you know, when he's talking about college programs with his teammates in the NBA, he's going to represent Louisville. But man, this guy cares about Louisville in a big way, and you can I mean, it's it's very evident. And to see him where in U of L football gear just randomly on a you know, in Cleveland, when he's walking into the facility, to know that he went out of his way to try to help Louisville with whatever they needed. And I'm not sure this really put it over the top, but I know it didn't hurt to have Donovan Mitchell advocating for you to come to play at Louisville, the five star commit.
Speaker 4: Why can't I think of his name? Driving me crazy?
Speaker 3: Mckail brown, right, Michael Brown?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you know, Donovan is any Lamar Jackson could could never come back to Louisville again and never acknowledge us again. People are still going to know that he played at Louisville. That's always going to have some value for Louisville. But when these guys are at times mentioning how well the programs are doing that they used to play for, or just reminiscent on their time like that, not only is that a beneficial thing. I don't know how much it's gonna help you, but it certainly isn't gonna hurt you. It helps your brand, your reputation to see these guys that this statu is still being proud to be former players and whatnot. But it also hits you in the fields as fans, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he genuinely enjoyed his time here at Louisvill obviously because he stayed. He stayed what three years and two years. Well, he was also here during the Lamar time. I'm sure you heard interview where he's talking about he had the basketball team up at six am in the morning, just ready to go a tailgate and he was in the gym with the Donovan Mitchell doing windmills and stuff. And that was like right before the decline of Louisville after twenty seventeen eighty.
Speaker 2: Here hearing Donovan talk about Lamar Dunkin was insane to me because it makes total sense that he'd be able to do some crazy stuff, right.
Speaker 3: And I met him when I first started working here at iHeartRadio. We did some sort of remote at like an eye care doctor or something like that, and there's so many low there's so many fans and I just first started and the person I was working with there are also another part timer just like me. But I asked, you, you think they'll let me get a picture and she was like, no, no, no, We're part of the media. You can't be asking for that. And I'm like, all right, well, screw what you think, because I'm going to ask him anyways. And then at the end, I decided to go up after everyone was done and try to take a photo with him, and a security guard was like, nah, man, he's all done, and Donovan stepped in. He said, no, no, no, he works with them. We didn't get a picture with him.
Speaker 4: Yet he did the exact same thing. And then this is this.
Speaker 2: This is to me like one of the best examples. He came back randomly on a Tuesday night at Freedom Hall to watch the TBT team play.
Speaker 4: You remember that he flew in last year right, they did.
Speaker 2: He flew into the year set courtside with Pat Kelsey, okay, and like, I think that's the first time those two guys like met and like that.
Speaker 7: That.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a TBT game on a random Tuesday. So and at that game, we were down there on the floor and he was getting pictures with everybody. The same thing happened. He had he had taken some pictures and his security was kind of ushering him out, and he could tell that my sister still wanted to get a picture of Donovan with her son and my son. Yeah, and he saw that and like bypass them and just said, come on, let's let's get the picture, like just you know, just a good dude. Yeah, and you remember that kind of.
Speaker 4: Stuff you really do. All right, let's take a quick break.
Speaker 2: We'll come back on the other side, and then we're gonna chat with the one and only doctor Eric McElroy from pro Reap Physical Therapy. It'll be good to catch up with doctor McElroy. So we will do exactly that and keep this thing rolling along until six o'clock. Don't go anywhere, keep it locked on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right, coffee and company rolling along here on a Thursday afternoon, and let's welcome him in. He's doctor Eric McElroy from pro reapp Physical Therapy.
Speaker 4: Eric. How was a twenty twenty five treating you so far.
Speaker 6: The winter Wonderland?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's been uh yeah, I mean it's been fun. It's last We're kind of a snow family meets. I'm the same here.
Speaker 6: You know, we love to get out a thousand times. You know, we had a great time in it. From a business side of things, it will challenge, but uh, I'm sure you.
Speaker 9: Know, it's like fumbling on the kickoffs. You just got to, you know, take the nice drive and get rolling and but it's definitely worth it. These are things that the kids are going to remember, you know what I mean, So it's worth.
Speaker 7: That reounce of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot of fun. This was the first time I think both my kids actually got this kind of snow to where they could they could sled, they got to do the fun stuff and they got out of school in daycare, which I'm sure they were really really happy about. But this is usually the time of the year when a lot of folks tried to make an effort to get back in shape go to the gym. Gym's much more crowded in January, seemingly, but with the weather like this, I feel like this would have been nice. This would have been a nice excuse for people to just say, well, I'll have to wait because the weather's so bad, and then it gets to later in January, then they just don't do it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I'm sure there were people who are putting it off because of the weather, and you know, yeah.
Speaker 4: You're right, because at first time back it can be the hardest, Oh, for sure.
Speaker 9: Well, people burn themselves out. You know, they go at it like five days a week and they haven't worked out in months, trying to get off the holiday weight, you know, trying to hit their goals early.
Speaker 6: And usually when they do that, to be.
Speaker 9: Very honest, it just sets them up for failure.
Speaker 6: You know, there's a lot of soreness and discomfort, and you know they were really playing well. I'm not trying to call people out, but that's just the way it is, you know, and.
Speaker 9: Things start to get busy, and especially as the weather warms up, so yeah, I think that maybe giving.
Speaker 6: Them a little bit of a slower start where they can, you know.
Speaker 9: As long as they didn't feel too cooped up. You know, hopefully with the cold and the snow, they didn't stay inside the whole time, and you know, got did something active with the snow. But yeah, I think that, you know, if it slowed them down a little bit, maybe people will be a little smarter about how they plan the rest of the year.
Speaker 4: I think it just a guess here.
Speaker 2: But when it comes to those who do get active for a week or two and then they just kind of phase out, I'm sure there's a variety of factors that lead to people doing that, but I'm sure one is that they were sore for a while, and then they tried to work out while really sore, and then that was painful and not enjoyable, and then they just think, well, if this is what it's going to be, then I don't want to do it. I would imagine if they give it some thought, they'd realize eventually you would you wouldn't be so sore. But what is it really just a matter of easing in in a major way that way you can avoid having it to I mean, you're probably gonna have a little stiffness, especially if you haven't done anything in a really long time. But I feel like the easier you go, it'll it probably help you when it comes to avoiding, just like dreading going back because you don't want to feel that pain again.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, And I think it's having a plan too. I mean I think that you know, making sure you listen to your body. You understand that the weight's not going to come off as you're not gonna get shit strong as you you know, as fast as you think you are. You know it's not, that's just not the way physiology works. And so what happens is or you know, understand that, you know, kind of check your ego. We tell people that all the time. I know what you used to be able to do, but it's been a while since you've done it, and so, you know, we like to relate it back to athletes, like these athletes don't go into the off season start bench pressing what they did when they finished the off season last year. That's just not you know, they haven't been doing it as much. That's been more maintenance driven, recovery driven.
Speaker 6: So you know, I think that you know, you start with a plan that's reasonable, that that you know, and then you build upon that and you make sure that you are making change. That's the other thing, plan for change. If you're trying to run, make sure you have a plan on how do you want to increase your your mileage or your speed, you know, lifting, whatever it may be. Have a plan, and then you know, make sure your nutrition matches what you're trying to do.
Speaker 4: I think that's the hydration.
Speaker 6: Hydration is huge the cold weather, and Larry spoke to this last week, is we we kind of take it for granted. It's very easy to get dehydrated and cold.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: And you know those symptoms, the symptoms will a lot of times are harder to really you know, pay attention to or realize.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 9: And then the food, you know a lot of times there and you know, we're in this mindset of hey, we got to get these pounds off, but now we're increasing our activity. Well, it doesn't work that way. In fact, some ways your body will slow down. It's metabolism because it's fearful of you know, well, what's going on. You're you're taking less, putting less gasoline into my body. And then you're asking me to work harder.
Speaker 6: So it just doesn't make sense. So, you know, there's a lot of things like that that we got to make sure that we're paying attention to and management.
Speaker 2: So I know, you guys see patients of all ages, and you've a professional athletes, just the average Joe's children. I know you guys treat a lot of different patients. But I would imagine there's probably older folks who are getting back active and they just want to be educated on how they you know, about rest and recovery, and maybe they maybe they really maybe the last time they were active. I don't want to make them sound ancient, but maybe the last time they were active, the physical therapy world wasn't in the position that it is now. It wasn't as as as popular, wasn't something that was so common. I mean, I think there's probably a lot of a generation of folks that are really able to utilize you guys and didn't even know much about what you guys do.
Speaker 6: Oh absolutely, you know. I think the benefit of I speak for myself where I started my career coming from the athletics world, is that we you know, I explained to my old population my geriatrics.
Speaker 2: As you will.
Speaker 6: You're gonna work in here like you can still get stronger, you can still move there. And Nick, I'll give you example. You know, we all know and seeing the rise of pickleball, oh yeah, well you know there's a lot of fast switched muscle fiber activity and pickleball reacting and accelerating to the ball, and then you know, yeah, it's it's different for every age demographic seeing goals or whatever, but it's still there and it's relative. And so what happens is people, you know, we all have. People are why I felt, well, you haven't you haven't trained your body to participate in that sport. And it seems simple to you, but so you know, and unless you're you're doing the things you need to do to keep yourself ready for that, then you're more apt for injury or fall. And and so I think that those are things we try to educate our patients on, even at you know, the older demographic of hey, you know, we're here to work. We're gonna get stronger. You know, we're gonna we're gonna burn some calories, so we're gonna work on stability. We're gonna get you moved faster because we know that helps your balance for instance. You know, I think that you know, those are things that we try to educate them on that you know, we're not going to treat you just about your age. We're going to treat you about your ability and uh, and that's what we try to reiterate to them so they can make sure they hit goals that they are.
Speaker 2: Doct Jerk McElroy program Physical Therapy is our guests joining us here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: When it comes to the NFL playoffs, do you have any any preferences are you?
Speaker 4: Are you all in on we being got out? You know, I'm a moroncos sand Okay, so.
Speaker 6: But you know, we didn't expect them to, uh to go very far. But you know, it was good to see him in the playoffs again. It's been a long time. So now it's you know, I don't know, I'm kind of mixed feelings the who's left, you know. I mean, obviously would love to see Lamar proved it Super Bowl. I think that would be good, uh, you know, and a lot of the critics, as far as you know his I don't want him to be the Dan Marino of his generation of course. So uh but yeah, I don't necessarily have it in this point kind of you know, with the Lions, I've been tour mine, he's he's over performance and and okay, cool, we haven't with the Lions and so and they've never you know, that poor fan base has never won anything. So it would be kind of cool to see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it kind of feels like this is you know, I want to say this is their year, but like it kind of feels like everything is shaping up for them to be a team that at least gets to the Super Bowl. I mean, they've they've kind of been building for this in the last couple of years, and certainly they've they've broke through in a major way.
Speaker 4: And I think.
Speaker 2: Because hello, can you hear me? Yeah, sir, Yeah, So because of because of the Lions and sort of what they've been in their entire existence. I kind of feel like you won't think of it ahead of time, but I think people may tune in and just you know, find themselves rooting for this, for this Lion's team. It looks like we lost doctor Macro. I'm not sure what happened there. There was some there was clearly some bluetooth going on. I think he at times we had him on bluetooth and then at times we didn't. He was going back and forth, which i've I mean, I know if you In fact, I bet everybody listening has probably either had that happen to them while they're on the phone, or it's happening when somebody else is on the phone. See if you can give him a ring, and yeah, let me do that. We'll get him back on here. I don't know what happened, but we did lose him for a brief second there. But yeah, I thought about that last week because I went into the gym Monday, and it's the first time I've gone since probably like around Christmas time or something like that. So I was very surprised to see that it was relatively empty. I mean, I figured with it being January, there'd be a lot more people here than there was around November December whenever I was there.
Speaker 4: But it was pretty light.
Speaker 2: And I was talking to the guy who who's who works there during the time when I go, and I asked him and he said, yeah, they had some people come in and sign up. They had some people who'd been gone for a while, and come back. But he said that they did not get anywhere near the typical amount of people that that that showed up, you know, the typical amount of people that show up to sign up just you know, to try to get in shape at the beginning of the year. And and he claimed that he believes it's because the weather just kept him away. And uh, if you didn't, if you didn't go back to the gym in the first couple of weeks of January because you put it off because of the weather, wouldn't be shocked if you just continue to put it off.
Speaker 4: Hey, but hey, you should, you should, you should get back in the gym. Be healthy.
Speaker 2: It's good for you when it comes to, you know, taking care of yourself and being healthy. But man, it's a it's such a mental health thing for me just to go get a run in and exercise, and that that's really the payoff for me at this point, and you know, keeps me from you know, blowing up, because if I eat bad, then I feel like, hey, I can go get a run in and it won't be won't be quite a bad All Right, We've got Eric McElroy back with us. I'll I'll ask you this question just because we're up against it here. But Zay Flowers, it sounds like he may. It sounds like he may only play this season if Baltimore reaches the AFC title game. He's been day to day dealing with with this injury. Clearly it's a it's a it's a big deal, uh if they don't have Zay Flowers.
Speaker 4: But it doesn't look like he may then. In fact, the latest update here it says that uh.
Speaker 2: He says if save Flowers may only play again the season at Baltimore riches the FC title game. Head coach John Harbaugh had previously stated Flowers could play without practicing this week, and that could be the case as a wide receiver was the only player appsent from Thursday's practice session. But if he doesn't practice tomorrow, it sounds like he won't be able to go. There's not a whole lot of info as far as what's kept him out, but last week Carball seemed pretty confident that he'd be he'd be back in this game. And that is not that is not the case. It sounds like So again, I guess I'm asking you to just guess as far as what it is. But when you hear a coach speaking confidently, you would imagine he's getting that from the training staff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he just can you hear me?
Speaker 4: Yeah, got to make sure you can hear me.
Speaker 9: But yeah, he's not moving great or he's not he's not handling whatever they're trying to do with him very well. And I know it seems very general, but you know they're at this point in the season. You know they're they're gonna do whatever they can and get him back. And you know he may not practice at all and still play and that's totally fine, but they're challenging him in practice every day to try to make the best judgment on how he can perform. And you know what that tells me is, whatever it is, it's significant enough that you know his his it's really a performance issue. You know, he's not going to be able to perform it. You know, even at the slightest at the level they're going to need him to to compete.
Speaker 4: And that makes sense. He's not he's not as he's not as he's not his self with whatever he's dealing with. And that that's I mean, all these guys are heard, right, It's true.
Speaker 6: He's like he's he's.
Speaker 9: Not evenna be performed well. So you know, it seems like, you know, it could be I don't know. I didn't read whether he had a lower exture, any injury.
Speaker 2: It's a knee, but that's all they're saying is knee that they haven't mentioned anything else.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so he may have a legal his frame and they're really concerned about stability, or he's not tolerating being able to cut on it very well or jump and land, I mean things like that.
Speaker 6: He's gonna have to be able to do it, especially in a game that's important. So it's better off having somebody.
Speaker 9: Else in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, makes sense.
Speaker 2: Doctor mclroy is always appreciate your time. Great to catch up and we will do it again soon. My friend, awesome, man have it going n take care. That's doctor Eric mclroy from pro Rea Physical Therapy. Always appreciate his time. I still think the Ravens can be a can be a team that goes on a run here wins a couple of games even if they don't have Flowers. But clearly they're better with Flowers. He's a really really good playmaker and hopefully he can get back sooner rather than later. But man, what a game on Sunday evening. We've got Bill's Ravens, the two MVP favorites, should be should be awesome quick break. We'll come back and wrap up the four o'clock hour right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: You're welcome, Austin, giving you a nice treat in there on a Thursday watching me dance.
Speaker 4: That was hot.
Speaker 3: I wish I could keep you playing in this all day.
Speaker 4: And I don't know what you know.
Speaker 2: It turns out when I do try to dance, or at least do something that I hope is dancing, I end up just a few seconds in just doing a lot of pelvic thrusting.
Speaker 4: Kind it's kind of my sweet spot.
Speaker 2: If I don't have much, if I if I've got no rhythm, I'll just, you know, start humping air.
Speaker 4: And that's that's my dance move.
Speaker 3: That's why Tiffany love you so much. Yes, that's right, I'm kind of the same. I don't have any like dance moves. It's not like I could not like I could cut a rug or anything, but I could I could fill the rhythm.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I can.
Speaker 2: You seem like a kind of light on your feet, kind of like you got a little rhythm, kind of like a dancing bear out there on the dance floor.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: The hips start to sway in and I can't promise you what happens next.
Speaker 4: You can't control it. It just when the music's playing and the and the vibes are there, you just get in rhythm. Right, No one is safe.
Speaker 2: That's how it works, all right. So we've been talking a lot of basketball today. Actually we talked some football talk some NFL too, But Louisville football, they are coming off of, of course, another another good season under Jeff Brohm. I still at this point and in a good place, not looking back at last year and thinking, man, Notre Dame, we were better than them, and they're about to win a national championship. Maybe, I mean, that is kind of bittersweet. But Notre Dame clearly has gotten better since they played Louisville, and look, they did beat Louisville. But Louisville football next year, as of right now, looks to be in great shape, especially on the offensive side. Miller Moss, the top ten quarterback in the portal, and then two freshman running backs that are going to be coming back that are sensational Colin Lacey, a healthy Colin Lacy this time around. Chris Bell had a breakout season, so much so that he turned down over a million dollars to enter the portal and go to Texas. That's the rumor, which considering it's Texas, I kind of believe it. But their offense may get even better if they're able to land one of the best receivers in the portal, which is Penn State's leading receiver, Harrison Wallace.
Speaker 4: Third.
Speaker 2: He is, I mean, he's got to be up there as one of the top receivers in the portal, certainly one of the top available because he's he's still available. But yeah, he is going to be visiting Louisville, North Carolina, Texas, A and M in South Carolina. That's the schools he's considering, so he can pretty much pick wherever he wants to go. He's probably a kind of guy at this late in the game and the portal that they're not going to be pressing for time. One of the reasons why you see these guys commit so early in the process because it's such a fast moving thing. You don't have a whole lot of time to sit back and decide what you're going to do in the portal, because more often than not, there's five guys that are basically going to get the same offer that you're gonna get, and you got to decide do you want it or not. If not, then they're gonna move on. And if you don't give him an answer, they're going to move on anyway because they got to fill that spot. So he's a guy that probably wouldn't have to worry about that because of how talented he is and because a lot of the guys who hit the portal have already found where they're going to go. So Bram adding another really really talented receiver would be just an added bonus, to be honest with you, I mean, he was a Penn State for four seasons and in those four seasons he caught eighty four passes for over twelve hundred yards, averaged just about fifteen yards to catch, had six touchdowns. So clearly a guy that was very productive at Penn State and would be a big addition. So not sure if he's got a favorite, but clearly Louisville getting him on campus for a visit, says that they are there in the mix, which is a good thing. And I'm not going to go there. I'm not gonna say it, but it's on my mind. You guys know what I'm talking about. Right anytime I start to get excited and get to go there and get amped up for Louisville.
Speaker 4: Be a team that's lightening up scoreboards.
Speaker 2: But we learned that thirty five forty two points isn't enough because our defense at times can be such a liability.
Speaker 4: Like I don't want to have that worry.
Speaker 2: But the more excited I get, the more I think, oh man, it would be a real bummer if we can't capitalize on maybe one of the most explosive offenses we've ever had.
Speaker 4: So we'll see. We'll see. Ron English, it's on you, brother, all right.
Speaker 2: We got the five o'clock hour coming up next, so stick around a lot more to get into some good tech that I want to want to look at. I've neglected the text line and I'll stop doing that. But you can text in BABO two six five three zero seven ninety. The Eleen and Federal Credit Union text line also phone lines open Babo two fives, seventy one, seventy nine hundred.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about text baby, Let's talk about it