Speaker 1: You know, a town with money is a little like the mule with a spinning wheel. No one knows how he got it, and dangle he knows how to use it.
Speaker 2: Mule four finger discounted.
Speaker 3: Welcome to four finger Discount. Where this week we're going all the way back to nineteen ninety three. We're a young chap named Lyle Langley joined Springfield to Selomon Monorail. It's marg versus the monail, and I'm.
Speaker 4: Dando and I am guy. Yes, we're putting four finger discount on the map.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's nothing I know, but it don't even genuine man, a genuine electrified six car monorway. I missed the word down that we'll get that. Yes, we all can't. We can't all be Lyle Landley. People consider this to be the greatest episode of all time. It could definitely be argued that it's up there. Yeah, it doesn't have emotion, but it depends depends on what you want from a Simpsons episode. If you just want laughs, this one could easily be considered the greatest. A lot of people say, you only move twice, is that their favorites use that's just humor human It's just a zing zing Zinger. I personally prefer a bit of emotion for my Simpsons episodes, so I like a fair balance of that, which is why I think episodes like Rosebud dare I say I probably. I think I enjoyed this one more, But I think I get more out of episodes like Rosebulb, which has NonStop lasts but also a bit of an emotional call to it.
Speaker 4: I get where you're coming from. Yeah, but no, just purely from a comic invention and comic ingenuity and comic energy point of view. Yeah, I'd say this is certainly in the top ten. One might even say top five. What do you think all the time? Yeah, I was top three. I think top three.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. But this is obviously there's a lot of episodes of the Simpsons, you know this is, yeah, there is.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This is known as the Conan O'Brien episode. This is the one that he's known mostly for. He's also done Homer goes to college and a new kid on the block, which has Laura Powers moving in next door. But this is the one he'll be forever remembered for. He did the have you seen him do?
Speaker 4: The live song? Have you seen him?
Speaker 3: Singing the live Yeah, he did like a live song and dance and he's wearing the Lyle Lanley get up and he's doing the the cane and the hate O'Brien. What a guy, What a guy. Indeed, we are big fans of Colon and O'Brien and the Dojo.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Of course, the reason we're going back and reviewing this one is because you weren't part of the show Four Fingers kept when we originally recorded Don't Remind Me of the Day you have Marge versus the monorail. So we're getting guys perspective on the episode, of course, But there's everyone knows the stories of how it first came about. You know, Conan was told don't pitch it, and then they said, okay, well maybe you better go. And they didn't think that James L. Brooks and make Greeny would go for it. They loved it, so yeah, obviously happened. But he got the idea from seeing the billboard about a monorail coming and he's like, that's hilarious, that that's something that would be right up Springfield's alley. And apparently the original idea was to get George to kai in to do this episode, and he turned it down because he worked just randomly. It just happened to work onlike the monorail foundation of whatever, and so he was like, well, I'm not doing this because you're taking a pie out of monorails.
Speaker 4: George nods offside his bread's buttered on, yes.
Speaker 3: Entering Leonard Nimoy for one of the most iconic guest appearances of all time, which is I always see this episode as the pinpoint, and it's been discussed by those working on the show. This is the point where they realized, Okay, all bets are off, we can kind of do what we want now. They didn't think because that Matt Grandy always said, I wanted to keep the series grounded in a sense of realism. You know, of course, it's an animated series. You can break the rules of physics from here some time to time, but let's try and keep it somewhat realistic. And Leonard Nemoy disappearing at the end, they thought he's never going to go for this. He loved it, the audiences loved it. It worked, and they're like, we can go with it now.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Look, I see where Graining is coming from. And he's one hundred percent correct. And yeah, you need to have that emotional foundation, you need to have a degree of recognizability characters you can relate to situations you can. But also, yeah, as you said, you're working in an animated medium, take advantage of all that, all the opportunities that provides. And this does on so many levels. I mean, yes, yeah, the physics of the monorail just going out of control like Nimoy at the end as well.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, it's fantastic, It's just full of I was surprised at how much I forgot how many pop culture references we're in this, even for the get go. You get the Flintstone song at the start, You've got the Beverly Hills theme playing. You've got him rocking up just as Hannibal Lapter. You've got the Batman theme when he's shooting out as mister Snrub. I'm like, there are so many pop culture references here that don't I guess the Flintstones one steps you in the face, but the everyones don't.
Speaker 4: That's the one that kind of like I'm not sure how I how big a fan I am of this, And maybe because it just feels a bit on the nose, even though yeah, I'm a Fred Flintstone guy because you know, in the day comes and I'm very much yabada, but do and get out of here.
Speaker 3: Well, the Flintstones thing has absolutely nothing to do with the story. No, it's just this would be funny, and I think.
Speaker 4: Sometimes we take issue that it's like, what's the connection of this. It's a bunch of stuff that happens. If it's stuff that happens, that's good. Yeah, we like that, and it's memorable and it's short, correct, Yes, it's in and out. Yeah, because not like that episode where they took on the Prisoner. It was an entire act and you're like, what the hell is going on here? Yeah? Plus you know, Glindstones has a little more sort of so we say, shall we say cultural impact than The Prisoner, which is the show I really dig.
Speaker 3: But it was watched by memby six people, and without Flintstones, there's no Simpsons very much. So oh god, yeah, because that was the last real successful animated primetime show I think, I imagine. So yeah, yeah, but what were your thoughts go back, going back and revisiting this one? What compared so your memory is going into it? So were you excited to go back and revisit this one?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah, yeah, it'd have been a while since I've watched it. As good an episode as this is, it's not one that's sort of, as they say, lives rent free in my head, yeah, there are certain there are certain parts that was like, of course, yeah, so yeah, I was skinned to go back and sort of think, well does this stand up? And yeah, look, for the most part it does. Absolutely, Yeah, I think Lol. Langley is just a fantastic character in conception and execution. I was also really pleasantly surprised how much Quimby there was in this. I'm just I'm voke Quimby, so you know, as for them to be as much as there was in this, it was marvelous.
Speaker 3: But I along to spoil my favorite moments because I found that I enjoyed stuff that I never used to enjoy or maybe just sort of missed. You know, it was there but didn't really tick on me as much. But you know, as a kid, I enjoyed that the iconic stuff, you know, like he's not Batman and that kind of stuff. Here, I'm like, forget the pig. Give me how many brides do I get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that that relationship between you and Quimby was just.
Speaker 3: Because they comes out of nowhere too, because you ever see him fight two comely lashes of virtual true forget the pig get and little things like no, those bald children are starting to arouse suspicion to the park.
Speaker 4: Well, well, should we just jump into favorite moments?
Speaker 3: I mean, oh, there's so much to discuss the really yeah. Yeah, but we haven't touched on Phil Hartman yet of course. Oh look, I mean, is this his most iconic performance, Nah, tropicla.
Speaker 4: Besides the two sort of foundational characters or or semi regulars or recurring characters that he was known for Lionel Hearts and Troy McClure. Yeah, I mean, this is the primo guest performance, I guess.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's so I feel dubious saying it's so quintessentially feel like him, but he gave off that vibe like you did know him. You can visualize him playing this live. Oh yeah, absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that's one of the great aspects of this very sympatico relationship that the Simpsons creators and Phil Hartman had. It's like, this will work because Phil does it. I mean this would this would work with with another guest actor by all means. I mean I'm pretty sure at this stage of the game, not that they had their choice of like we could get anyone to play l Lanley, but it's like Phili just crushed this. Phil will just make this to use a Molten favorite term, iconic. Yeah, and he really did. I mean it just works so well. I mean, of course it's a play on the music man on the character from that and who's this sort of flemplay artist. Phil just nails it. It's so and you can't help but like, yeah, I'd buy a monorail from this guy. He's so charming.
Speaker 3: It's so persuasive, charming and intelligent to in a sense that Lisa tries to get him and he out smarts Lisa.
Speaker 4: Lisa, Yeah, so that was That's fantastic. I mean, there's not much more you can say other than just yeah, this is It's a really great performance. Hundred percent. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because the other sort of one time characters he does Tom from the Brother from the Same Planet. I think it's the Pepsi Pepi Barke gets that the bigger brother, Oh yeah, and him and have the fight at the end.
Speaker 4: I think it's more than it looks.
Speaker 3: He did the American Embassy graph and the Australia Eric Yeah, yeah, and plenty of thiss, but yeah, this is the This is the quintessential one time I on the appearance by Phil Harmon.
Speaker 4: But let's get the favorite moments.
Speaker 3: Go for it. My favorite, I think there are yeah, there are a lot in there that, yeah, just so memorable that people were just quite chapter verse.
Speaker 4: And that's fine, that's great. I found there were little bits and pieces and that just really tickled me. That was so that was well, really throw away. I've forgotten if it's when Marge is actually talking about this the terrible state of main Street and how there are huge potholes and everything like that. It's the popcorn band.
Speaker 3: And it's it's like wise guy voice, which, as you know, is just one of my favorites.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm the same, but I'm at the end where it's just like the escalator that.
Speaker 3: Way, it's sort of felt like a bit of a callback with it.
Speaker 4: Everyone's different again, just it's a one line, but this just I actually had to stop for a second, like I'm going to be laughing in this at least ten seconds. Yeah, it's a lot. It's a Landley song, but you know everyone's doing the call and response. Yeah, planners monarel. What's that word? Did someone do?
Speaker 3: Brilliant? Such a catchy song, isn't it?
Speaker 4: Look heap of quimby moments? H How are we going to spend this two million? Do you mean to? Of course tried. I think it gives the Florida Lands. I'll distract myself with these pornographic playing cards. What a lovely pre internet time. It's like.
Speaker 3: If you wanted your cheap, brilliant thrills, you had to get one of those pens.
Speaker 4: It was like or just like a deck of cards with women in various stages of undressed.
Speaker 3: So I had a see, there's wrestling cards on the wall there, right, I had some they're not up there out, but there was motion ones right that I never forget. I remember opening the pack and getting it right there. Used to be a wrestler in the nineties called Sable. She's now married to brock Lesner, right, and she she was in Playboy and whatnot. But she once had a bikini contest. This is what wrestling was like in the nineties. Bikini contest, and we have women wrestlings bikini contest, and she took off her shirt and she had black handprints over her nipples, basically over her breast right. I remember I had this motion card of her taking your shirt off, and I was like, that was my little polygraph, like Mom's not looking well, I've still got it somewhere, but I remember getting that and going damn.
Speaker 4: There are many times when I've said I use this phrase a lot in my everyday life, and I forgoten where it came from. Usually I'm talking about South Park and this guy's I'm talking about the Simpsons. Whenever I'm sort of coming up rough, like after I may have had one or too many glass of one the night before, I tend to say I spent last.
Speaker 3: Night in a ditch. It's lightly lumbod Yeah, showing up at the Mona Doris Grouse voice lunch. Yeah, I spent last name in that ditch. And after you, because I think I watched this before I saw Colonel Homer, so I didn't really know who I was when I first watched it. He watched Colonel Homer.
Speaker 4: No, she's living rough again, just a little throwaway bit, but it's like, oh, the sentences used to do this. It used to be great. They have Homer's dream what to be the monoail conducted like, well your dream used to be running naked onto the on the baseball field, cut to the the but also.
Speaker 3: Just had that in.
Speaker 4: It just adds a little bit of.
Speaker 3: Checks and it says I was one of my trivia questions, I spoil. It's just a springfield forfeits pen just one of the quimomy moments. What what is the chief? We can say I got phones that could be anybody's ass. Yes, but this was probably the bit that I liked the most. When omens trying to sweet talk Marge and he's like, yeah, more about what am I saying? Once you been married for like ten years and kids, it's just like what works?
Speaker 4: Just try everything you know you do the little side. I was like, oh, yeah, we're getting busy. Yeah, I got to strategize.
Speaker 3: Sometimes, you know, I'll walk into Nickel in the kitchen, you know, slip on the bar or do something, and she sort of she doesn't look like she hates it. I'm like, all right, this could be a chance. Here's the ball and try and run with it.
Speaker 5: Next question you there eating the paste.
Speaker 3: To be your time, to be your time. Indeed, by the way you there eating the paste forgot this?
Speaker 4: Yeah. My first question for you? How many times has up? Who been shot? Eight times? Eight times?
Speaker 3: What was the seat for Lyle Lanley when they in North having book when they attacked him? He was nine f No was it was seat three F? I believe it three F words closing it.
Speaker 4: Was seed three F three F. Okay, we got the f right. Speaking of Lyle, they I thought they were only going to allude.
Speaker 3: To it once. They allude to it another time, so you'll.
Speaker 4: Probably get this. But where was Lyle going with his bags of money when.
Speaker 3: What was my favorite book? Could have said that it was not favorite book? I was going to to he sorry, yes, he stopped over in a favorite book. Yes, it's my question?
Speaker 4: Is that name? Marge drove to North? Favorite book?
Speaker 6: How fun?
Speaker 4: Did had this play?
Speaker 3: Mean flying?
Speaker 5: Plus?
Speaker 4: You will forgive lapses of shall we ay credibility in a fun episode more so than you will in a bad episode, in an episode that's a bit lack last year, we'll go, yeah, but what about this? They should have explained that away with this? You go, how did the North Favor book. People know which seat. I don't care, just go with it. Yes, all right, Am I asking you a question? Ask you one.
Speaker 3: Yes. When the sticker wears off at the Monoail, where was it from? It was the New York World's fin nineteen sixty four four World's Fair world Spare Sorry, yes, I mean the Sun's Fin. N I mean the Whigsphere.
Speaker 4: Who was the celebrity on the North Haveberbrook Maiden Voyage of the Monorail?
Speaker 3: Ah Bugger, I should know this, damn it?
Speaker 4: What is it? Gallagher? We're a Gallagher?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not ies at the comedian. Yeah, he hits the watermelons.
Speaker 4: I couldn't tell you a single joke Gallagher tell yes, but Gallagher will smash watermelons with a sledge.
Speaker 3: We discussed it because he was on a Simpsons episode and then we had to do a deep dive and who Gallagher was?
Speaker 4: Like that guy anyway?
Speaker 3: But yeah, he was the celebrity on the maiden voyage. My final question is how old it is Kyle Darren?
Speaker 4: He's he's thirty four. Yes? Who was the Dash Calhoun? Dash Calhoun was recently out of the closet. I was at dash Calhoun. It reminded me of.
Speaker 3: Leo in What's by the Time on Hollywood's a Rick Dalton. Yeah, it just has a Rick Dalton. Dash Calhoun just has a kind of name to it, doesn't it. I'd love to have a Hollywood name, you know, like some people just have Hollywood names. It's not bad. It's not Guy Davis's I reckon, thank you. Just don't cut a time. Let's read out some names, shall we? You can do that? Or will I do that? Do you want to do it? It's very it's a very special episode. Going back to mardressus the monorail, sure is, Hey, who do we always talk about?
Speaker 4: First?
Speaker 3: We always talk about the incredible Katy G. She would be the first guest on our for figure discount Monerail.
Speaker 4: Indeed, Katy G. I'd be appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Try and read the rest in the form of the song. David Stewart, Glen Gonemez, Justin Parker, Zach Pruett, Maybe you do it, Janey Maka Elliott, j oh is It Ballabphy, Steven Roberts, Shon, d V. P. Anderson, Timothy Belson, Andrew Davis, Plan Blood Fellow, Windo Bank, Jelad named Jack McFadden. He that will be Adric McLeod, Mark Trellivan Ginger and Pegle Preston Murray, Telly Enriquez, Phoenix, Brian McKay, b James Shepherd, Joe Reading, Second, Kevil, Demian Miller, Charlie Joe Abbi, Gail B. Sharp, Carter Craig t smash Cluster. That's yeah, don't we hope you enjoyed that, guys. Yeah, thank you guys for your support. You continue to support here at four finger Discount, keeping the lights on here at four fig Discount Studios. Remember, you want to get your name right out, you gotta be a support of ours on Patreon.
Speaker 4: Do it? Do it now?
Speaker 7: Do it?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: That's the thing that I was going to make a video or mean or real whatever, things that like nineties kids would get that anyone was born after like two thousand and five would have no idea. So it was Liz Lise do it. Things that we quote from movies and kids would have not I first, not to anyone under the age of twenty five, They go, what the hell are you talking about? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, how many times we've talked about when we had wonderful guests, yeah on our show, and they'll be trying to indoctrinate their kids into the way of Simpsons or something, and they will drop a line that any one of a certain yeah demo will instantly get.
Speaker 3: It's like, you don't get my Simpsons references? Come on? I felt so old. I remember were back in the pop culture offices. There was a lot of younger people, and I remember someone. One of the customers there was Caroline. I went Caroline, and they all to me like I was crazy, and I was like, oh shit, I'm that old.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember dropping once like see because of me, they have a warning. Yeah. It's like that sounds like a joke. It's got the contours of a joke, but I don't get it. All right.
Speaker 3: So the original air date of My Address of the Monoroum it was a January fourteenth, nineteen ninety three, thirty three years ago this episode aired.
Speaker 4: Can you believe it?
Speaker 3: The top three films at the US box was number three, sent of a woman from number fifteen to number three. That is a skyrocketing climb.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's the power of puccino. Yeah, and to a letter extend the power Chrusodon.
Speaker 3: Aladdin number two last week it was number one, and a few good men from number two and points a Laddin and a few good men battling it out, a few good men. I bought it on four K the recent JB sale. Still haven't watched and never seen it.
Speaker 4: Never seen it.
Speaker 3: Enjoy Yeah, good stuff, I know, obviously the main part. But yes, well they pretty much blew the ending for you right now. As I used to.
Speaker 4: Say, we used to make things in this country.
Speaker 3: Did top ten lepricorn lepracorns up there? What the hell is Hoffer?
Speaker 4: Are you aware of? The Union Leader? Jimmy Hoffer? That's about Jimmy Hoffe A gast Darren Jack Nicholson and directed by Danny DeVito. Wow, I never heard of it. Worth watching, It's.
Speaker 3: All right, Yeah, it's one of its. It's released at the end of the year. Very prestigious.
Speaker 4: Let's get Jack and Oscar.
Speaker 3: The JFK kind Yeah yeah, Chaplain was up there from eighteen to seven, so you look Chaplain. Yeah, that was j that's DJ yeap Home alone to Lost in New York. Yeah, forever young, forever young. Don't know that one. That's Mel Gibson. He was.
Speaker 4: Certainly not Forever Young. No, well this is this is a like peak handsome mel Okay, yeah, I think he I think it's like a World War Yeah, it was a World War two pilot. He got frozen or something and then woken up in like them in the nineteen nineties or something. That sounds awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's sort of a romance.
Speaker 4: But he's also it's got young Elijah Wood in it, and young Olijah Woods is like the surrogate son something.
Speaker 3: I remember the first time I saw him was in that movie like the Other Brother or something. Good Son good Son. Yeah, it's crazy. Yeah with McCauley is the mom was like, he's the not good Son, She's she makes the right choice.
Speaker 4: You how to come on McCauley, You didn't.
Speaker 3: And The Bodyguard Number Forced the number four Men. That is a good list of movies, right, it really is Holy smokes The Bodyguard of being the huge, huge hit that it wore a fifteen dress bass.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was top ten last week. So there we go. You watched that end. I dropped it around it.
Speaker 3: I have not watched it. It's sitting there because I had to plug in my my U S Blu ray player, had to get it allso up. We just had the soundbar and the core for the TV in store behind the wall. Looks so nice. Now I'm like, oh, yes.
Speaker 4: Maybe send the kids to bed or put them up.
Speaker 3: I watched one movies at night. Now I send Nicola to the bed and I'll watch it. She liked Ricochet? Would she like Trespass? Probably?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, did you like Ricochet? She loved Ricchetpe all right, so as I was saying yes. January fourteenth, nineteen ninety three was the original edit of this iconic as Leonard Malton would not say episode of The Simpsons, My Address of the Monroel. It was directed by A Rich Moore, written by as we've already discussed the own O'Brien and it guest startled in any Moore and Phil harmon the chalkboard.
Speaker 4: Gag.
Speaker 3: I will not eat things for money. Now, this is a thing from nineteen ninety three. The thing is, though now, thirty years later, there are plenty of people who eat things for my money.
Speaker 4: Maybe they shouldn't. Yeah, there's I always had two things.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I either want to get paid for watching TV or get paid for eating We should.
Speaker 4: Try and do both well. Correct. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I see KFC have a Parmi burger and I was sort of doing a taste test video of a Parmi burger and then I looked at it and I was like, I thought it was going to be, you know, different coat of chicken with like napping and I was looking, you know what it is, it's a all the times he's got a normal fill it, put napoli sauce in it, and added two cheese sticks in with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I didn't like the look at that, and I was like, ah, that's not really a Parmi berg. You just added something to an already existing burger. But is my controversial take on burgers. They should be wider, not taller, like what we would define in Australia a burger with a lot from the fish and chip shop. They're always thinner but wide round. Yeah, yess So you're saying a quarter pounder as opposed to a big Mac. I would say that even though yeah, it makes me go down, Well though they should. What's what your staples is a quarter pounder?
Speaker 4: Right for me? Sure?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've had a big Mac for a long time. Just McDonald's not my thing. But yeah, look at the Palmy Berger and I was gonna get it last night and looked at it and I went, I don't think this looks like weldy know, just a cheese stick and a burger. Just feels like, Oh, you haven't really gone, you haven't been creative. You just added something to it that's not us Too much of the Colonel and the Couch gag is the Simpsons sit on the couch, one of my favorite ones of all time, and all various residents from Springfield come and joined them. So the episode kicks off with as we discussed the Flintstones opening, which has nothing to do with the opening, but there's a little detail here that I'm assuming they did deliberately and I appreciate it. The Flintstones is known had a Barbara cartoons. I've known mostly for what when it comes to the animation style, what sort of angular? Well, I should check rephrase the question when things are moving, what's usually happened when characters are moving along?
Speaker 4: Oh, well, it's like the characters moving.
Speaker 3: Or repeated backgrounds. Yeah, that's two or three frames repeat. And when Homer's driving down there's three houses that just get repeated. I wonder if they are just lazy or that was a nod two flintstones.
Speaker 4: Let's say it was a nod. I'm a loving tribute.
Speaker 3: Okay, maybe an unexpected nod. Lenny and Carl are sealing up some toxic waste and they do not eat. They don't care where it's going. See, this is the thing. They're sealing up toxic waste. And twenty years later was it twenty years later?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 3: No, it was ten years later because I was doing it with Mitch recently. Home is eating toxic waste and I'm like, that's how quickly the show devolved. It's going from we know this is dangerous to how we go eat some toxic wastes? Come on guys, Beverly Hills themed them plays and Smiths and Burns enter and they put it on a trolley and they asked, he askewash? We dump it the playground? No, those ball children arousing suspicion to the park and they they're.
Speaker 4: There jamming into trees.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the last tree held how many drums? Nine nine drums? Indeed, that's where you're I came from, not seat nine nine drums. It's all John Lebon my brain. Yeah, and then the squirrel a laser comes out of its eyes and shoots, and I'll just go here. There is so much shit going on here in this first minute that I feel like if this was season twenty of The Simpsons, we'd probably go squirrel having a laser, that's so stupid. But here, as you were saying, when it's such a funny episode, you just run with it. Then the EPA arrive, which is a little nod to the Simpsons movie EPA EPA correct. Yeah, and they've someoney crossed his little game of hide the Yeah, what does that agent name himself?
Speaker 1: He does?
Speaker 4: I want to say Rex Morton, but that's not it. Agent Malone. Wasn't it? Or Malone?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's talk Frinky I just to get it. Let's we'll just look Agent Malone, Simpsons, Agent Malone, Simpsons. It's usually a wiki page for everyone Agent Malone. Yeah, does he had him? He does he appear in anything else? God, the ads are wiki crazy? Only in my address in the one. Yeah, that's his only appearance.
Speaker 4: That's fine. He did a good job in showing up when he did.
Speaker 3: I feel like he could have been a character that returns in various ways. Agent Alone. It reminds me of a Rex Banner type. That's what I was thinking of, Yeah, Rex Banner. But he says that Bird's being arrested. We cut to Burns entering court as Hannibal.
Speaker 4: Lecter by the way, Liberty and justice for most.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, Now the thing is things like the Hannibal at the visual As a kid, I had no idea what that was, you know, which is a funny thing, as I was like, ah.
Speaker 4: But still it's funny to see Burns come in all sort of mummy mummified up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, it's perfect. And he's been fined three million dollars. So there's my wallet, is my pocket and I'll take that statue of justice too, so old. Yes, then Homer's read in the paper and Birds look smiling on the way out. But Marge says they had to have a town meeting and how they're going to spend all the money. Lisa has her idea for virtual reality helmets where she meets Genghis Khan.
Speaker 4: Defile, what I defire? Eat who I eat? By the way, two gags, and that may not have aged all that Well, he's shouting he's maybe not condoning the actions of handicap your wife be drunk. You were Andy Capital just a four panel comic strip that ran in the newspapers. Andy Cap was basically like this working class kind of I think he was British and I don't think he ever beat his wife, but he was kind of like, I'd rather be down a pub.
Speaker 3: Andy Kapp is a British comic strip created by cartoonist Red smythe Smith, seen in the Daily Mirror and the Sunday Mirror newspapers since fifth of August nineteen still still going nineteen fifty seven. Originally a single panel cartoon, it was later expanded to four panels syndicated internationally.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The character is also licensed as the mascot for a line of snack foods. Okay, the picture is him being dragged by his wife.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's kind of I think he's kind of a hen pecked husband, even though he thinks like he's the he doesn't. Yeah, it was it. I wear the pants, she owns them. Something like, yeah, oh Andy Capp, you wave beating drunk.
Speaker 3: And that's one of those things where I always just you know, I know what it was talking about, but it's just funny.
Speaker 4: Plus, this is how we used to make cartoons in this society, Andy Cap is just a gentleman wearing a big cap. Yes, but that's maybe not so bad.
Speaker 3: But homer suggestion is maybe a giant billboard that says no fat checks. I can imagine that's slate in the writer's room that was used quite frequently the Simpsons. Oh yeah, well at least twice. Yeah, no fat cheeks. But the nineties was such a weird time in that you know, you had you know, dick head dude sort of parading rabbit t shirts said no fat checks.
Speaker 4: It's crazy, what the hell is going on? And then you would have presumingly seemingly enlightened people like the our pals from the Simpsons writers room who had been on this show and seemed like rational people. It's Homer saying it, who are probably saying, yeah, they're home, is the kind of person who would say this. But it was a giant billboard the sex practiction. But I can't believe that.
Speaker 3: It was just such a prevalent saying in the in society, no fat chicks. Yeah, same thing. As I watched this with Nikola, and Nicola laughed to ask off for that. If she's laughing, I'm allowed to laugh at it, but then but also wants giant mechanical answer to destroy to school and kills Seamos Skinner. Then it's time for the town meeting and everyone it's pretty field to showed up except for the criminals. Compare this to our recent episode, So could his town being he's stupider compared to I can't wait to poo on their floor?
Speaker 4: What listen for.
Speaker 3: Those who haven't heard one of our recent reviews. So we did Squirt in the Whale, and it starts off with the family going to an expo, so they leave the lights on so they robbers don't think they're home, and Snake's like, ooh, it was idiots. I can't they think. I don't know, I can't wait to go down and pool on their floor. I'm like, what is Abby?
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure there have been actual burglars who have done that.
Speaker 3: No sneak robs things, and he doesn't poo on floors. It feels like the guy that's like, I say, this sounds silly, a professional criminal. He knows what he wants. He goes in and getship done, doesn't shop on the floor, just get ship done. He's like de Niro and heat, Yes exactly, Yeah. Would you would you be DeNiro? Would you be the guy that God bruns wild? It'll be Wayne Grow That's not that's.
Speaker 4: The most insulting thing you've ever said to me, Wayne Grow.
Speaker 3: I would be like size more. What a name, Wayne Grow? It just sounds like the guy that would just lose his ship, Like what are you doing? You never get a way and grow in your in your heist. So they're gonna figure out way to spend the two million dollars. Don't you mean three million dollars?
Speaker 4: Of course, yeah, I'll tell your me.
Speaker 3: More suggests fix up the fire on the east side of the town. Mister snrub arrives and the way Snrub thinks and they realize it's burned. So Batman yeap, he gets out. Then a Poo wants more police who has been shot eight times this year and almost missed work, and then grabb byby then March is a plan and Qumb's gonna entertain himself with as you're saying, the pornographic playing cards. And she points out that main Street is all cracked and broken because people like Homer driving down the street with giant grand pianos on the roof, and there's potholes which caused the popcorn to explode when it goes inside, and whatnot. And they really like the idea, don't they? Sure?
Speaker 4: Grandpa interrupts, Well, first of all, he's interrupting.
Speaker 3: Sarcastic, we could do all that in the town, so like, yeah, we couldn't do He's not for it, he gets it, and then again then Lyle Lanley a lot before though before Lanley interrupts, Quimy says all four Grandpa's idea to fix and Landie interrupts, and what's the first thing?
Speaker 4: He says?
Speaker 3: A town with money is like a mule with a spinning where Garton dan but he knows how to use it.
Speaker 4: Mule.
Speaker 3: But that's that sort of representation of like when you keep watching some Simpsons jokes, you're like, I don't really know why that's funny, but that words funny, funny words. But he uses Chobby Rullers the comparison, that's a good way of getting these guys suck absolutely ay that what to do?
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh god, comparison there's yeah, absolutely absolute winner in that regard.
Speaker 3: That's mo shall be the ladea. What is the Simpsons quite where they go. He'll know what to do.
Speaker 4: What is that? That's gabbo, gabbo, gabbo.
Speaker 3: He'll know what to do. He'll tell us what He'll tell us what to do. Yes, and he reveals the model, the scale model. He's gone to all lengths to suck minute. I've never seen a full length scale model like this of like you know, when they're building a we're going to build a new national park wherever, and to have the scale model.
Speaker 4: It would be great if they still did that. Nowadays you're getting pitched dishes and VR and yeah, AI and all men are of other rects. I'm saying that though.
Speaker 3: We went to this Star Wars Lego World kind of display in Melbourne about six months ago and they had like you know, hoff An end Or and it was like you know, three meters by three meters and it was all Lego, but it was like it was like this, it was like a scale one. I was like, this is awesome. It's just like Little Beware and had the Ewok village and the death style. You can reach out and touch it. Yeah you shouldn't touch it. Yeah, kids kids touched it. So then we get the iconic monorail song.
Speaker 1: Well, sir, there's nothing on earth like a genuine bona fide electrified six car monorail.
Speaker 5: What I say, monorail? What's it called?
Speaker 2: Monil?
Speaker 5: That's right, monorail.
Speaker 2: I hear those things are awfully loud.
Speaker 5: It rides as softly as a cloud.
Speaker 6: Is there a chance the track could bet?
Speaker 5: Not on your life? My Hindu friend.
Speaker 2: Water brought us.
Speaker 5: Brendan slams you'll be given cushy jobs? Were you shent here by the table? No good sir, I'm on the level.
Speaker 6: The ring came off my pudding can take.
Speaker 1: My penknife, My good man, I swear at Springfield's only choice.
Speaker 5: Throw up your hands and raise your voice. What's it called? Once again? A matrix to walk craft and broken time? On the money is spoken?
Speaker 3: Mano, don't What is there that to be said about the monovassona hasnt already been said?
Speaker 4: The song said at all? Yeah, it's I'm presuming you just played it.
Speaker 3: I couldn't play the whole thing because then that it could come right yestead of getting for us.
Speaker 4: But okay, what we'll do it? Mon Yeah? When I have vivid.
Speaker 3: Memories of my dad laughing his ass off at the home a.
Speaker 4: Bit at the end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you have memories of like of Bobby yelling or laughing and anything funny on.
Speaker 4: TV when you were a kid. No, my father was a singularly humorous man. But when I do, we're talking about parents laughing and stuff. Though two occasions seeing movies with my mum, we went to see a double feature of Pink Panther movies. I think it would Return and Revenge of the Pink Panther, and Mum.
Speaker 3: Was just slain.
Speaker 4: She would see this thought spectacle. So it was the funniest motherfucker. And another time, this is problematic, so cancel Margaret Mary. But we went to see the Woody Allen movie Hannah. Her sisters and my mom had recently had like a hearing test. You had this thing called many as where it sort of affects your anywhere and affects your balance, and she had to have these hearing tests, and Woody Allen's character in the same movie has to do something similar. Here's a scene where he's like any hearing both and has to sort of raise a finger when he hears something no one else in the.
Speaker 3: Theater is really laughing at. Just it's kind of a throwaway. Yeah, because he's sort of pulling a bit of a funny face. Mom just thought it was the funniest fact. She's laughing loud than anyone in the cinema, and I was seeming embarrassed, but Semi's just so.
Speaker 4: Stoked that my mom was so happy.
Speaker 3: I was like that with my mom and sister and I went to see the Muppets movie, the twenty and eleven one, right, and when the chickens came out and saying that forget you by see, like, my mom thought it was a fucking funny thing in the world. And I I just remember, I'm like, I don't care that no one has really found my mom had it funny. I just like seeing my mom just in a state of joy. Oh yeah, it's one of the great delights in laugh when your parents just cracked up like something. But they're on the way home. And that of course got over the pooles in Main Street.
Speaker 4: Oh by the way, sorry, I forgot there was another quimulin that I left this out of my favorite moms as well. Just tell us your idea and we'll we'll vote for it.
Speaker 3: Yes, so march As we should have spent the money on Main Street and said we should have written a song like that guy. Then he's at school. Now he's trying to pitch to the kids. Why is there trying to pitch it to the kids. I have no idea, just so. I think it's just so they can they had needed at that moment where he out convinces Lisa.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty much. It seems like it's already a done deal. Why was he still on the sales?
Speaker 3: I think I need to show that this guy's on another level. Even Lisa gets sucked in by I guess see will forgive lapses in logic. Yeah, miss Hoover, I find that hard to believe. This is so this year is a Phil Hartman scene. Oh god, yeah, and yeah, just non stop. Yeah, it's fantastic. How he's just charming everyone is eating out of his hand.
Speaker 4: Happen in the flash?
Speaker 3: Yeah sure whatever, But yeah, the why would a mass transit system in a small town with centralized population?
Speaker 4: Why would we do this?
Speaker 3: And he's like, that's intelligent question.
Speaker 4: Actually even your t Yeah, brilliant, brilliantly Lanley.
Speaker 3: Then it's Marlon Brando voice Truck of Saurus, celebrity voice impersonal. Now they did the same joke twice here, so celebrity voice in person. That's right, yea, And Homer sees the ad for the monoail conductor class at Lyland Institute. It's like not to be here again. But they did a lot of those. I mean, I still use this day.
Speaker 4: I've forgotten what it's from, but anytime I'd say, that's the Davis guarantee. Not a guarantee, that's on the citizens. Yeah, that's what I mean. I'm trying to remember what that's wrong. Yeah, but some not a guarantee, it's so good.
Speaker 3: Not a guarantee.
Speaker 4: Is that really?
Speaker 3: Quickly bit of and like, yeah, nothing found here we go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's scratchy, Lady Bv's lover.
Speaker 3: Each one is absolutely positive one hundred guaranteed to increase in value.
Speaker 4: Not a guarantee, but yeah, celebrity boy.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 4: Try because Brando had been off the scene but quite some time, but still recognize like one of the great actors. But I think he was sort of starting to make a comeback and appear like pretty shitty movies and clearly just were a massive paycheck. So he probably would yeah, lend.
Speaker 3: His voices as underlike Druga Sawus the movie. When did he pass Rando? Want to say, early two thousand and four. Let's look at his films. Let's see what he was doing around nineteen eety three. Let's have a quick look, because he was.
Speaker 4: In a movie in ninety called The Freshman that's actually really good with him and Matthew Broderick. I don't know if this is Don Juan Marco era. Christopher Columbus The Discovery, Yeah, yeah, Oh well, there were two Columbus movies that came out in the early Don Juan de Marco was ninety four, that's yeah, with Johnny Depp. There was fourteen ninety two that was directed by Rilly Scott, and then there was Christopher Columbus The Discovery, which was yeah, kind of shit, kind of the cheap one we had that Brandow to Dr Morue ninety six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Doland Doctor murau Man an.
Speaker 4: Absolute shit show. Yeah, there's a fantastic documentary if you were all interested in behind the scenes and stories of shit shows, called Lost Soul. I won't go into the whole thing about the making of The Island Doctor Tomorrow, but it was just doomed from the very beginning Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Love the Phantom Menace documentary. It's like everything that went wrong with Phantom Menace and it's just like the best part is when he's going real, not real, not real, and.
Speaker 4: It cuts to the people who are working it, just like The Brave as well.
Speaker 3: With The Brave in ninety seven more Depp, I think I think it looks that looks like Stallone. I think Johnny Depp directed The Brave and it might be actually in it as well. Is that not that not Stallone?
Speaker 4: In that post? Well, I think I think Johnny Depp is playing a Native American in it. And while Johnny Depp does say he has Native American lineage, this also seemed like you're putting on a bit too much brown makeup here, Johnny Depp.
Speaker 3: Maybe that was Brandaw in the post. That doesn't that does not look like Depp? Does it? In that posted there?
Speaker 4: Doesn't it? You reckon free money?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Charlie Sheen, Thomas Hayden Church Apocalypse Now Reducts Reducts just just a reac up version of Apocalypse Now and then he's just yeah, on his way out Superman movies, and then he's gone, Howdies Brandow Brando destroyer who gives you then, because he says, I want to be a monoail conductor, so he's going to join the class. Then, of course they asked, well, he asked, are there any investigative reporters to leave, including the hidden camera? I am, and so is I forgot no name, but yeah, but then and then the guy's hidden camera.
Speaker 4: Yes, let's go. But of course the course is just in a room.
Speaker 3: We've got my apartment room. It's just a note on the door. Barnes meanwhile, doing.
Speaker 4: The test, true or false?
Speaker 7: You can get mono from riding the monorail.
Speaker 2: False. No, wait, maybe it's true.
Speaker 7: No, you were right, it's false. Wow, you really are going to be a monorail conductor.
Speaker 2: That's right boy.
Speaker 7: You know I used to think you were stuck in an emasculating go nowhere job kids, but now I want to following your footsteps.
Speaker 2: Do you want to change your name to Homer Junior? The kids can call you, hold you.
Speaker 7: I'll get back to you.
Speaker 3: People love this. I've never been a huge fan to hold you a bit, they can call you hold you. I've always just thought it was just really stupid. But some people love it, which is fine, but I've just always thought this is just dumb. Yeah, I just feel like kind of Homer then watches Barney directed in the crane because you know, all these idiots are getting jobs now, and he waves a Homer makes the crane drop the whatever it is and slashing into a house.
Speaker 4: He hates that sound.
Speaker 3: Margin points out the dangers of being a monoil conduct and what have us step on a bar shop and I'll be killed, Homer tries. Then there's the flirting by using the voice.
Speaker 4: Well, gobbling up danger like ordinary man neat peanuts.
Speaker 3: And transition gave my love a chicken no bones, gets distracted cheek in. But yeah, the whatever I talk like this, it's just iconic for me. Then we have the final day of the course. Mono means one and rail means right, and that's the end of the three week course. He goes to leave, and I was like, well, who's going to be the conductor? Oh yeah, that's right, And he looks at it. He was monitoring your progress, which is just a picture of him. Why drawing all these drawings. It furthers the story. No one in the right mom would do this. They even acknowledge later, and he's like, I got to stop leaving it's out, But he chooses Homer and who me, Yeah you shot as.
Speaker 4: Kind of one of my favorite throwaway gigs, not necessarily in this instance, but yeah, anytime it's someone is meant to be taking copious notes and turns out there's doodling. Just hilarious.
Speaker 3: Yep, let me get the news report with Homo the cigarette photo, the stock photo of Homer.
Speaker 4: Is this part of hit?
Speaker 3: Maybe realize just how much of a break neck speed this episode moves through like it's just bang, like the end of the course, how we get selected news report about Home and being there? Now w they're in the monail's just bang bang bang. So Home is doing a tour of the monorail inside the front bit there and these where they find the first of all the drink cudder or as I called it, cup cake, and then he sees they see the possums and apparently this is miss mac Grating's favorite line. And then Tiger Simpson and I'm like, really, what bide I call the Big One Bidy is Mack Grating's favorite Simpsons moment? Should we be worried about Matt Groening? But then Marge says I'm gonna go see Larle Landing. Something doesn't feel right here, you know, there's a family possums living in here.
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 3: And she finds his notepad AND's a picture of him I mean like to heat you with money, and then suckers and a flaming monarela.
Speaker 4: And he enters hell.
Speaker 3: Should you see nothing in coomin any good?
Speaker 4: Just ad delivery of.
Speaker 3: Good from film good? I don't know why I live this line around. Margin drives to north Haverbook to get the real truth about what happened there, and she has the repeated visions.
Speaker 1: I have sold minor rails to Brockway, I've been Veil and North paper Brock.
Speaker 6: Is there a gente the track good bet?
Speaker 2: They called the big One? Baby?
Speaker 1: I have sold minor rails the Brockway, I been vel and North paper Brock.
Speaker 6: Is there a gente the track good bet?
Speaker 2: The all the big one? Baity?
Speaker 4: It's like that? How oh yeah? That's another one that came up recently.
Speaker 3: I was touching on. It might have been this review. It would have been of things that ninety posts kids wouldn't get. There was a guy called Joe the other day, Elliot's fan was called Joe Joseph. I went Hana Joe and his dad Slay loved it. Kid's like, what this is?
Speaker 4: Weird guy?
Speaker 3: The other one you know, Ellie by something like that.
Speaker 4: So good. She arrives and it's a ghost town.
Speaker 3: I love the cackling lady. Just a cackling lady sitting on her doorstep in the rocking chair. There was no monarail here. There's no no monarail here.
Speaker 4: That never was. It's that Monroel.
Speaker 3: Cafe on the idea of a ghost town and people still living there. Why she still at the cafe. It's really closed.
Speaker 4: She know where to go.
Speaker 3: But that's great for memes when people are denying something. He's like, there is no this and never I was pulled it down and a picture of whatever it was. Then Sebastian Cobb arrives, the man who was hired to build the monorail for North Haverbrook, and he.
Speaker 4: A little just up by the way. I'm sorry, I keep based on something, No.
Speaker 3: I want to because he's got such a distinctive look. Yeah, is he based on something? Spashion Cobb design is very similar to Doctor Strangelove from Doctor Strange.
Speaker 4: Love or How Cool lere you go.
Speaker 3: His name is Cobb, the name of a building material about that. Apparently he died he was hit by the old Mono rail death. He was hit by the old monorail in the Old Blue Man. She ate what she used to be? What episode is that? The Old Green Man Old Blue Man's here this episode season twenty nine. We'll get to that when we get to it. Yeah, however his death was wasn't confirmed, meaning he could have survived.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Spashion Cob based off Doctor Strange. Love about that. A very unique design. But I really like the character who voiced him as Harry Shearer. Of course, apparently Harry she Heer doesn't like SEMs anymore. Has looted for a long time apparently, but I've heard this from you, but apparently he did an interview recently. He's just like, yeah, it's hard and harder to do it every every year, and it's like, dude, one of the easiest gigs in Dollywood, right, just do it. You probably get some money in the bank. You might be able to like stop, Yeah, let someone else do it? Can someone else do it? But Yeah, as we were saying, she meets Sebastian Cobb, who's hired to build the monorail, but Lyle lady took plenty of shortcuts, and she's what are we gonna do? You better have a damn good conductor. That reminds me of I think it's Rambo and is like, I've got so many soldiers in that forest looking for Rambo or whatever. And he's like, what are you gonna say to that? I hope you got a lot of body bears.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, what a line. Well, a lion is one of the things you're gonna need. A good supply body bear, tramman. What a guy?
Speaker 3: Cuts to Homer, who has locked the keys in the in the mona round, get a rock. Then it's time for the grand opening, the opening? What you're opening? What do you ceremony? Ceremony circuit of the what was the called when it goes around the circuit or the.
Speaker 4: Red carpet cap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the dash Calhoun has arrived, a woman with crusty son. That's the song the kids things here. It's just Google Gaga. I don't know, he just went I thought it seems like it sounds like Lady marm Lade almost to the let's go the wiki pages that sing anything No I thought.
Speaker 4: I thought it was just Google Gag, Gag, Google Gag.
Speaker 3: It sounds like it's singing something, but in baby talk, Yeah, I was obviously I was wrong. But also we got Lurlie Lumpkin, who spent last night in the ditch. She's just previously released from.
Speaker 4: Where oh the bettyful cling which which stint.
Speaker 3: Because a recent stick. And then Kyle Darren who was thirty four years old and he was from No. No two and no right Springfield Heights, No No to Grefield Heights two and No. Then we introduced Leonard Nimoy and he thinks he is William Shatner. No, No, he thinks he's yeah, neither for with him?
Speaker 4: Do you think I am? Yes?
Speaker 3: And you wanted the little rascals. Then Lisa sees land and leaving, why are you leaving? And he's got to the cash. Oh my plane is leaving soon. But the rides in ther minute, while my plane leaves in less than one minute. It gets into taxi and leaves. Then Homer starts the first ride all the bod I feel like I feel so for Homer here because he's like he's taking us so seriously. Oh God, you didn't know this ship was going to go wrong.
Speaker 4: He's got his naty. Yeah, everybody know. He's very happy. Marge arrives, but too late.
Speaker 3: I shouldn't have stoped for that.
Speaker 4: I love that line.
Speaker 3: Now, great Neme more than explains how the doors worked on Star Trek. You just imagine. I love that Leonard Nemo was willing to take the pisce out of himself yet oh sure, like he's walking like like you just imagine that. Because Star Trek in the early nineties, I suppose they had the new show did in that generation.
Speaker 4: They did, and they're still making movies at this stage. I mean, what was more prevalent at this point probably Star Trek of a Star Wars. Right, Star Wars had existing ten years since the return ninety three. Am wondering when I don't know if we're in generation started ninety three or only two. I reckon next generation. Yeah, but in terms of movies, because I mean there was Motion picture in eighty then you had Rather Carn in eighty two.
Speaker 3: This generation was eighty seven, ended in ninety four. Okay, I thought it started in the early nineties. Okay, Star Trek The Voyage Home I think was like eighty six. Star Trek films.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we probably were probably around like Undiscovered Country era. They're still making Star Trek movies with the car understand the country was ninety one. Okay, then when was they have Generations up there? Because that was the one that had shattn around Patrick.
Speaker 3: Stewart, Yeah, Generations isn't in that list for some reason.
Speaker 4: The other thing about Nimoy at this time was he's directing movies. Was he ninety four? Was Generations? It was a year after this episode. Okay, did you know that Lennar Nimoy directed Three Men and a Baby, one of the biggest box office hits of nineteen eighty seven. Who could have seen that coming?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 3: Really? Ten dancing who gutenbergen and Sella yeah, Seale, Yeah, just three dudes, They're gonna have a little baby.
Speaker 5: What to do?
Speaker 3: And then we had Babies Day Out and that didn't go as well. No, but I love that movie as a kid, of course he did. Yeah, what's his name? Fat Tony was his name? Joe gave it everything? Joe Montana, Joey Pan Yeah, and some big guy yeah, and the big guy who was in a recent episode of SPU And I was like.
Speaker 4: I know this guy from somewhere. It's the dumb guy from.
Speaker 3: Was it called baby Bink Baby Bink Yeah or baby Booty baby Bink Yeah? Yeah, And it has a it's an early role for the chick from Sex and the City.
Speaker 4: With the red hair.
Speaker 3: What's her name, Cynthia Nick. She plays the nanny in that she's got straight blonde hair. Wow, yeah, baby's maybe check it out. If my kids thought it was hilarious, you know why because the kids because so then, yes, the ride's kicking off and lean boy is just being he's seen it that no one wants him around.
Speaker 4: Like it was a weirdo chase. You're telling his stories from the from the setter started like, yeah, this was initially interesting and you're just getting into the minutia. I'm not interested and no one cares anymore.
Speaker 3: And then tells bart Sticky's had out the window having a great time, and then we see he almost gets his head taken off. But yeah, we see things are breaking as.
Speaker 4: It seldom break is that seldom break. It was a good gear because I mean, everything else is breaking, and seldom break is like waiting for to break, waiting for to break, because that'll be the gag, and then a dozen but then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then it does and starts going really really fast, and the sticker wears off, and it's revealed here that he's actually just got the monoail from the ninety and sixty four Worlds Fair, and he pulls the brakes. The liver you have pulled breaks is nut in service. Then Sebastian Cobbs says he finds it. How fast is going by home? Is cowardly scream It says they're going one hundred and eighty miles per hour, which is how fast and kilometers in someone in the two hundred in two kilometers they are going chw hundred eight nine kilometers an hour, Holy smokes. Then Wigham's watching, getting kind of dizzy. I canna take a nap. This is where Quimby walks in and let us have like a dick measuring context, don't they? Basically yeah, they go down to town hall to find out or read the town charted, to find out who's actually in charge in this situation.
Speaker 4: Hey, I'm strus.
Speaker 3: I'm going to pay every month two comany lasses virtually true.
Speaker 4: Forget the the peak. How many brides do I get?
Speaker 3: But just the Wigham two comely lashes.
Speaker 4: Virtually true. That just slays me.
Speaker 3: And then we also recently, as I was saying, did Squirt in the Whale where they did an extpo about solar panels and whatnot, and it was really poorly done. This year it's solar powered, so there's a solar eclipse. The cosmic ballet he goes on, so I want to swap seats so it slows down because of solar powder, right.
Speaker 4: Love solar power. When will people? That's such a good payout? You know, that's great because I mean, when will people learn? Because we're in an era it's kind of like, well, this could help us out, this could be the future. I mean, this is actually a good thing. When will people learn?
Speaker 3: Now on the plane, Lanley he's on his way to he he's got his cocktail and whatnot. Briefly in North Heaver.
Speaker 4: Books in cases full of cash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then he's like oh no, oh no, and he gets attacked. Then Crusty wants out, No, the world needs laughter, and Bart says, well, he's like, we're going to We're gonna die, son Yep, this's gonna take a lot of innocent people with us. And then he gets a phone call home or whoever signed is Batman?
Speaker 4: It's not Batman? Now, I always thought that Home when he said Batman's designs like he was saying it like a like a question. Badman's a scientist. It could be Batman. He's not wrong.
Speaker 3: He just wants to believe it could be Batman. You know, he's gonna save me in a situation. And he says, you need to find an anchor. He looks at but think harder Home. It takes the last suit from a random cowboy guy and just random Caillough.
Speaker 4: Isn't that Dash Calhoun? Is it?
Speaker 3: I thought I thought Dash Calhoun was like a cowboy actor. Oh god, I've just learned something. Oh my god, maybe it is hey Ellen sunder Day.
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 3: Was it because he wasn't in his cowboy affort when he arrived.
Speaker 4: Though, That's why I thought he kind of was.
Speaker 3: No, he's not, it's not him. It's just a random cowboy.
Speaker 4: Oh okay.
Speaker 3: He also look at Dash Calhoun. That's him there, because I was dreaming. No, it's just a Redom cowboy. They needed a lassuit. It was a cowboy.
Speaker 4: Well, I missed opportunity that made Dash Calhoun like a cowboy act that possibly? Yeah, what was he a cowboy? Afternoon? I don't know. Are you making this shit up?
Speaker 3: Well, that's the power of imagination. He's a leading actor in Springfield. He attended the opening of Springfield's Claims. He was recently added, where did you get cowboy from? Just the name Dash Calvin? It sounds like a cowboy. It sounds like school.
Speaker 4: Just just decided he's a cowboy. Okay, that's my head canon.
Speaker 3: No, you're right, because I'm right according to that's him, that's Rory Calhury Calhoun is a cowboy. You're thinking that's maybe where you get the connection from. Yeah, Rory Calhoun. Yeah, okay, but it wasn't Dash Calhoun though, just random cowboy.
Speaker 4: Maybe in your mind.
Speaker 3: I'll get him up for you so you can see it wasn't Rory Calhoun. You probably would get Dash Calhoun up. He's recently out of the closet. We're spending too much time on there. It's far there is.
Speaker 4: It's not him.
Speaker 3: It's just a random cowboy. Good outfit though. But he gets the umlassuit. He ties it around the m on side. The mone easy to rip off. Of course, it's mad he tosses it out. It's actually a great idea, pretty quick thinking, my Homer.
Speaker 4: Here it is. So it's the M for monrow or it's not. It's not the W for World's fear? Is it?
Speaker 3: Because it's just a sticker? Oh okay, this is an M for the monorail? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Ok yeah.
Speaker 3: So it cuts the oldest tree down, which then falls onto the birthplace of the gepidized springfield and blows up, and he separates the Siamese twins.
Speaker 4: That's good. They high five one another.
Speaker 3: Goes past the old anchor shop and the hole that anchor.
Speaker 4: You say, you can join twins? Now we do it.
Speaker 3: Yes, Sons of the Sorrow, I know something different, but just the various names of things that you have to change, stuck in it gets stuck in the donuts, donuts, anything they can't do it.
Speaker 4: I'm watching this going.
Speaker 3: If we're being legitimate here, this would be an absolute classified if this actually happened, because it wouldn't just stop, it would go flying off the track. But you know, for the sake of the story, it stops and Homo saves the day.
Speaker 2: Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?
Speaker 3: Down?
Speaker 7: You're a hero?
Speaker 2: Yes, son, I'm the best monothingy guy there ever was.
Speaker 5: Well, my work is done here.
Speaker 2: Holy man, your work is done.
Speaker 8: You don't do anything, didn't I Then we get Marge's voice over the town of Springfield doesn't know.
Speaker 3: We never did this again except for the Popsicle six skyscraper, well, the fifty foot magnifying glass and all the escalator to nowhere, well and over the credits.
Speaker 4: Just a few more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just there's a reason people call this one of the best episodes of all time. It's it's just filled with so much.
Speaker 4: It's got great joke density as well.
Speaker 3: Say, there's no emotion there, but it's a great it's a great comedy story.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean it's got it's got good bones, and it's just enlivened by this fantastic central performance by the late great film.
Speaker 3: And it just feels like it has the energy of Conan O'Brien. You watch Conan, and he's just he's always moving around, manic. Is manic and manic but controlled. Yeah, well, I feel like he's other two episodes, Homer goes to College just have I love Homogosto. That's one of my all time favorite. He doesn't he does this is the manic episode. Then he does like a parody episode which is goes to College, which is a great parody of all those you know, Animal House and whatnot.
Speaker 4: By the way, the song that Homss sings I gave my love a chicken that handa but I'm pretty sure that's from Animal House. Can we just do it? Yeah, we can do that for sure. It's a scene in Animal House, which I'm presuming you've seen. Yes, the acoustic guitar guy is sitting on the stairs. I gave my love a cherry. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I gave my love a chicken. I had no bonus, I must be The song is called it gave my Love a cherry. That yeah, the riddle song is called and it's from is it an Animal House? They say it's an animal to animal I gave my love a cherry Animal House.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, grabs the guitar and just smashed against the wall. Sorry, Animal House. It has not aged.
Speaker 3: Well, that's all where he goes that z it get it.
Speaker 4: Apparently that was just like Blueshi, just being blushi. Apparently a lot of that stuff was if not improved, then yeah, maybe I just flick the camera on and see what he does. They gave him a lot of latitude to do what he wanted there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then his emotional story was the U Kid on the Block where the Laura Powers moves in next door and Bart's going through the emotions of being a young boy in love with a not a girl who he thinks has a hot sprehen but no, that the age would never work and just yeah, first love that will no, No, my pants are chief, Yeah, coron on, come on, four big a discount. We would and it has the most probably it's definitely top three for me favorite b plots or homicide quests that could have been me.
Speaker 4: All you can eat, that's of course so good. Actually sorry, I hate to turn this into the Chris Valley. I remember when this happened. That was god. It is probably one of my top five favorite Simpsons lines. Ever is the court case. What happened then, missus Simpson.
Speaker 3: We weren't driving around looking for another all we could eat fish restaurant and when you're good and fine one we went fishing.
Speaker 4: If I went to my grave running, we went fishing. Like that's up. We went fishing.
Speaker 3: We went fishing. Brilliant, love it love it, love it, love this episode, Come back and write some more Simpsons cond and please please do here on full finger Discount.
Speaker 4: We'd love to have you. We would love to have you. It would be good for your ego because we would basically just say, remember did this? That was great?
Speaker 3: It was originally going to come on this episode here the reviewed Margress Monroi with us, but he just had no time.
Speaker 4: So my work here is done. I didn't do anything.
Speaker 3: Oh guys, thank you so much for your support here at four finger Discount. I hope you liked our revisit here of March versus the Monorail.
Speaker 4: Don't forget.
Speaker 3: You can get early and add free access to this show by supporting us on Patreon for as little as just one single dollar WeDo per month. So if you listen to this show and you're getting all these hours of free entertainment chatters.
Speaker 4: A dollar, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Even two, maybe even two, maybe even five, maybe even more. Who knows you two could be like kdig The more you pay, the more you get over one hundred and fifty hours of exclusive podcasts available right now on our Patreon. Is that is that true? The more you pay, you the more you get though. Okay, the higher tier, the more content you get access to. Wow, what a system capitalism. We love it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, consider And if.
Speaker 3: You want to get in touch with this, it is Mailbag at four finger discount dot com dot au. Please send through all your questions and messages and we'll read those out on the next Mailbag episode. And also you've been doing it and we're much appreciated. Send through your reviews on Apple podcasts or Spotify rever you do find this show, check us five stars and live a few kinme words as much appreciated, to the point where I'm going to read out a couple right now. Yeah, tell us tell everyone how good we are so more people can find out how good we are. Let's read our two latest reviews, shall we?
Speaker 4: We got two new ones?
Speaker 3: All right, we go six of March. He can't read good five stars. I wish I stumbled across this earlier so I could request to joining in the discussion and or podcasts. This is just it's like my family and my friends getting together, quoting the Simpsons, whether appropriate or inappropriate.
Speaker 4: With did you knows?
Speaker 3: Quiz trivia and catch phrases, as well as discussing the best episodes, best songs as well as the singing as well singing the songs figging out our top five and top tens only catches. We all agree the first ten seasons were perfect, and we accept eleven and twelve as they still had a few of the good writers on start at the time. Looking for an amazing Simpsons podcast, look no further. You will not be disappointed. And the trivia these guys have is second to none. That is from Chris Cornell Fan.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Oh I was Cornel fan. Thank you, adding fan at the end of ze Yeah, the late singer sound giving us drop from beyond the graph. Thanks man.
Speaker 3: This one here is from Scorpion God. Agree with the comment before mine. This comment before mine at the time of writing is about wishing to have found this earlier, and I one hundred percent agree.
Speaker 4: So thank you guys for those reviews. Thank you Chris Cornell Fan and Scorpion God.
Speaker 3: Yes we do get all the reviews that you guys sent through, so please continue to do so.
Speaker 4: It is much appreciated.
Speaker 3: The next episode of our FORFIGI discap we shall we go back to season twenty one, but for now it's Davis. Any kind of words for all those incredible lists out there.
Speaker 4: The Cosmic Ballet goes on sh