Speaker 1: Thank you, John. It is eight oh five here Kentucky, Anda's Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas and as we get our final hour started, I can't fight the feeling here that I need to clarify that I'm not in support of somebody making fun and making jokes about someone who just lost their mother recently, who died. So I don't, I don't condone that, and I hope and I believe that I did convey that in our recent conversation there as Scott gave us the latest update on sports. But for those who missed it, there's a major League Baseball fan who has been banned for life because he was accused and I guess admitted maybe to heckling a picture and he made a reference to the picture's mother and that picture's I mean, the picture was emotional, just downright beside himself because clearly what was said was very hurtful, so much so that he couldn't control his emotions and he became a story. And hear me out, I'm not, I don't, I don't. I don't see how many get anything out of heckling players at games. I'm not somebody that is approved to it that thinks it's completely out of line. I just can't relate, like I've never been in a game in any way and had the urge, even though clearly when you're at a game and there's it's a team you really care about, You've made that emotional investment to a team. Despite that, I've never had the urge to just yell something at anybody, player, coach, mascot, anything. Just it's not who I am. And I don't say that deack like I'm better than anybody who does. It's just not my personality. So I just don't do it because it's not me. But I also am not surprised when you hear it at games, and I do think if you pay money to go to a professional game and these guys are making millions, they should just understand that there's going to be a level of the opposing fans ribbon you've giving you a hard time. What it all comes down to is the line, the line that you can and can't cross. And I don't know if there's any definitive line that gives us the exacts as far as what is allowed and what is not and what's going to get your band for a lot like this this guy, But John, are you with me at least that it would be a totally different world of scenarios here if he's just making a your mama joke, which again those are lame, childish and probably not funny. Yeah, but that's different than bringing up something that you know is I mean, that's cruel.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, whether you're joking about you know, just regular everything things or not, when you bring up somebody's deceased relative mom or not, it's definitely crossing on the You probably shouldn't.
Speaker 1: But if he did not put it this way, if this fan who's been banned for life came out and said I was just having fun, probably shouldn't have said anything regardless, But I am so sorry I hadn't. And again it's a reminder why you shouldn't make those kind of jokes, because you really never know somebody's situation. But if that was the excuse, I wouldn't say, well, okay, nothing wrong here, nothing to see. Let's reinstate his ability to go to games. But I would believe him, like I think that's I think that's plausible in a major way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, genuine apologies, especially if somebody sounds like they're very sorrowful about what they did. I think they're definitely worth forgiving him, Like.
Speaker 1: Your mom can throw better than that, Well, my mom's dead. Thanks, Like that's that's it. That's you probably feel like an awful human being after you say that and realize it. But that's different than saying, hey, buddy, oh where's your mom. Oh, that's right, she's dead. It sounded really cruel fit different. And by the way, if that's what if that, I feel awful just saying that, just to give you an example. But if that's what was said by the fan, then he deserves to be banned, and he deserves even worse. But anyways, speaking of sporting events, and I I'm going to be in attendance with many of you because I know this thing is sold out and it just speaks to how big of a deal the BA, the Savannah Banana's baseball experience has become so tonight a'ts slugger field. I'm going for Banana Ball, meaning it won't be the actual Savannah Banas, It's going to be a party animals. And I've be impossible to ignore and not be aware of just how much buzz this this thing has, if we can call it a thing, because they're selling out NFL stadiums. I remember Ember last year when the Savannah the Savannah Bananas came themselves, was at two or three nights, and I can't remember an event in Louisville where there were as many people just Hey, who's got tickets?
Speaker 2: I'll pay whatever?
Speaker 1: Anybody know, anybody, please please we There was such a high demand for it, and now again it's maybe not at the same level of demand. But even though the Bananas themselves aren't going to be here, it should still be a party. And I'm kind of looking forward to Thank you to one of the listeners who emailed me just a little breakdown here as far as how this difference from how this differs from traditional baseball, because again, I know how popular they are. I know they dance and perform, but you know, as far as the actual game itself, if you'd have told me that they don't actually like it's Harlem globe trotter kind of thing, I would have I would have believed you. But apparently it is a real game, which that I think that's a good thing. So it's fast paced, fan focused and entertaining, which Hey, that already makes baseball sound better to me. Fast paced, fan focused and entertaining. I don't know why I can't speak.
Speaker 2: He's that Kentucky crudd right, Yeah, from all this heat we're dealing.
Speaker 1: But all games are capped at two hours, so no new innings start after one hour and fifty minutes, so that I think that's a benefit. Also, I like the no walks on ball. Four of the batter sprints to first and the defense must throw the ball to every fielder before tagging the runner out. That creates, of course, some chaos and some excitement. So looking forward to it, I know my son moves. He's gonna be, he's gonna be fired up. He just found out last night we were going and he's he's ready. Although it's gonna be you know, he's gonna where's the man? I mean, these are the party animals, son, These are better these guys party. I'm gonna have to let him know we actually are seeing the preferable team in the whole mix here. All right, let's get an update on traffick and weather. Also, we've got Rory O'Neil set to join us coming up at eight thirty from NBC. News, we'll get the latest on this meeting that may be happening, maybe not between Donald Trump and iron next week. It sounds like there's no need for the meeting. But again we'll talk to Rory coming up at eight thirty. Right here our news ready to wait forty whs. It is eight seventeen Here Tucky in his morning news with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas. Let me get you set for the rest of our morning here. Coming up, we'll have your next update on traffic and weather in just a couple of minutes. Also, we'll talk with Scott Fitzgerald to get another update on sports, and then Rory on Nail of NBC News is going to join us. And then of course we'll finish strong here like we always do, and then Toty Vineddie will stop by and then Tony and Dewhite will take over, coming up at nine o'clock. So, something we discussed earlier for those that weren't with us is a new podcast that is launching. And I'm sure a lot of you have podcasts. Fatigue. Everybody's got a podcast, and I get it, but this one I think is interesting because of the story. So the guy who used to be Steve in Blues Clues, and I guess he still is that guy, but he is starting a podcast, and how it all came about, I just think is fascinating. His name is Steve Burns, and he was the host of Nickelodeon's Blues Clues from nineteen ninety six to two thousand and two, and he's going to be launching a podcast in the fall of this year that is going to target adults millennials who in fact were close to him via the TV show when they were young. And I don't believe that. In fact, it says here in the report from Variety that the podcast was inspired by the twenty twenty one viral video where he for the twenty fifth anniversary of Blues Clues, did a video and he just appeared twenty five years later and he was the same guy. He actually looked the same too, which was wild, and he was talking to I guess the target was those same people, but of course now they're a lot older. We were right out of the pandemic, or maybe it was still going on. I don't even know. That's a very blurry area, but it was as if everybody who hadn't thought of him in Forever Got an Update, and he's talking about how life is hard right now and like what's going on in the world. And he's talking to you like he did when he was there for you when you were seven and eight years old, and he's talking now not about little kit things. He's talking about real life stuff. So the amount of people who couldn't help me get emotional about that and talk about how much they needed to hear from him, that that was a factor in this podcast kind of all coming together and I didn't realize it, but it makes total sense that our own John Alden, he was a Blues Clues kid, and he shared how he earlier went and watched the trailer for this new podcast and it was nostalgic, right yeah.
Speaker 2: And he was sitting in the big red chair kind of similar to the same way that whenever the Blues Clue Show would be on TV, and he kind of talks to you through the camera. It was kind of I don't want to say it was creepy, because it wasn't. It just brings you back to that time when you were, you know, six, seven years old, maybe even younger. And I'm interested to see when this is going to come out. I think it's going to be in the fall. Yeah, the Fall of twenty twenty. I definitely give it a shot. I don't know if it's something I'll listen to all the time, but I'm definitely intrigued by it.
Speaker 1: Give it a shot. Let us know if it hits the way they are expecting, because I think if you're somebody who watched it and it was a part of your childhood, you made it. You had a connection with Steve from Blues Clues, and there's still probably a connection there to an extent. But if you give everybody the same, like if the aesthetics are very much similar to what you experienced as a child, the nostalgia will be unreal. And then if instead of discussing the things he discussed who seven and eight year olds, he's talking about real life and even his experience as a real human, not just the character on the show, I could see this being successful. I could be totally wrong, but I just I love how this story all all came together. And we had a listener earlier listening on the out radio app that used the talkback feature, and I think they made here a comparison that I can't relate to because I didn't watch this show with this man at the time, but like, it totally checks out for me.
Speaker 2: I think Steve from Blues Cluz is kind of like the same as maybe mister Rogers back in a different decade.
Speaker 1: So I mean, again just considering the character that what I mean, those two guys were the show that we're talking about, and you connected as a kid, and it just kind of felt like a companion that was like almost like a mentor.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't see a ton of mister Rogers. I neither based on what I know about him. It's a good comparison.
Speaker 1: Have you seen the movie that came out with Tom Hanks? Yeah, I have you seen it? Yeah, I need to watch that. I haven't watched it, but I've heard good things about it. Yeah, So good stuff there. And also, if you want to interact and share thoughts on anything we're talking about or anything in general, just know you have that option with the Aaheart Radio app using the talkback feature. Just click the microphone that you'll see right there on your screen as you're listening, and it's that easy. All right, We've got another update of tracking and weather coming your way, and another update of sports as well. Right here on news RADIOA forty whis eight forty six here Kentucky in his morning news. We've got about fifteen minutes roughly left before we hand it off to Tony and Dwight. And I am a self proclaimed dork for the NFL Draft the NBA Draft, not just because I like sports, but because I just there's always things that come up on draft night that are entertaining that have nothing to do with the sport itself. And last night, Tony, there was a guy named Cedric Coward, who, by the way, has a really really interesting story, was a D three player and transferred to a low level D one, really took off, then transferred to I think it was Washington State, and then he becomes a lottery pick last night, which is crazy. But when he was when he was drafted, Malik Andrews, who works for ESPN, the Four Letter Network, she had a little bit of a goof, which is an honest mistake. But I just want to get your thoughts as a media mogul like yourself, somebody that's been in this broadcast entertainment business so long. It is an honest mistake, but the mistake could also be something that like, it wouldn't shock me if she gets in trouble, let's hear it.
Speaker 4: So the Portland Trailblazers select Colin Coward here this is a young man with the ultimate bet on yourself story.
Speaker 1: So she mentioned Colin Cowhard, who is not an NBA player, didn't get drafted. He is somebody who is in her business. He's a competitor, the direct competitor. He is the Fox, Fox and ESPN or competitors. I suppose. Obviously Fox is trying to be competitive. But if they've invested one guy in one guy to try to give them a little bit more balance between the two, it's they stole Cowherd and paid him in say amount of money and on draft note on ESPN, she's mentioning his name an accident, which again it seems harmless, but also like there's a million people watching.
Speaker 3: First of all, it sounds legit. It didn't sound like a bit right, So she I think if she'd have gone, oh, I'm sorry, I think you know, because sometimes they do it on purpose, right. I always used to say when the other stations would mention us when we were on seven ninety was like, I don't care as long as they spell the name right. And you're mentioning my name and my station on your station. Good for you, Good for you. It doesn't matter what you say. Please say it again. I don't care what you're saying. Right, But that sounded your head first of all, that sounded legit. The second thing you got to look at is how much are these people sleep walking through these drafts. You can't possibly know everything about all these kids, can't possibly care, you can't possibly interested in it. So that's exactly right. So they're sleep walking through these you know your hour number whatever, And then you're thinking minus all of the prep that you did, so your brain is already broke and you're uninterested and tired and hungry, and yes, Colin Cowherd will pop out. By the way, you can listen to Colin Cowherd from twelve to three on Sports Talk seven nineteen.
Speaker 1: Here we Go. I think it was an honest mistake that her partners up there. It was Jay Billis and the other analyst was Kendrick Perkins. Maybe they were just checked out as well. But maybe this is a no no because I don't hear this very often. I think, in fact, I believe I was taught to do this. I just don't do it. But if you do have a slip up or a goof like that, just move along as its exactly happened. But I feel like it would have been a little bit I just if I was Kendrick Perkins, I would think, you know, I would make a slight joke about it and then move on to at least acknowledge it. But apparently you're not supposed to do that.
Speaker 3: I would have made fun of Colin Cowherd's basketball acumen and said, oh, well, he got he wishes he got drafted to the to the older thirty five Catholic League may joke.
Speaker 1: About like the Portland Travelers are just having like a yes, this is this is the make a wish draft picked honor somebody who could never be sure.
Speaker 3: White guys they can't shoot usually don't get uh, don't get drafted in the first round. Uh. But you know the first round of the NBA. I used to watch it too. The NFL draft is different because every single one of those players are so ready. Now they used to have to sit and get better and then play. They they will start on their teams as rookies that the first round is they make impacts on their.
Speaker 1: Team and the NFL just dominates everything everything. Yeah, the NFL draft is during the NBA playoffs, Yeah, the beginning of it. Yeah, and so you got it and Derby all around the same time.
Speaker 3: I remember a couple of years ago they were talking about how NFL draft has just taken off. It beat a Lebron playoff and when he was in Cleveland or something, and it beat it, like doubled it or tripled it. The ratings for the draft over an NBA playoff and then and it just tells you how powerful the NFL.
Speaker 1: When the NFL gives us the schedule, it's a bigger storyline talking point nationally in sports than almost anything any other major sport does. That that to me has always been the real Oh my god, the NBA is not only dominating, it's that there's there's no competition.
Speaker 3: And to this guy, this kid's point to where he went to, you know, whatever Division II, blah blah blah, what worked his way up, That will tell you how lame the basketball rankings are. Like when they come out of high school or AAU who's good and who's not good, right, because they fall through the cracks. Plus there's that, you know, a lot of these schools get done with their recruiting and a lot of people. How many times you go to high school and you come back from summer before senior year and some dudes gained forty pounds in four inches.
Speaker 1: One of the guys drafted drafted last night. He grew from five to six to like six eight within an eighteen month time and it was during the pandemic bingo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they they have that leap. Well, recruiting's already done for most of these schools, so they fall to a East co you know, we West coast whatever, YadA YadA, and then they get overlooked. But now with all those transfer yeah there are and with all this transfer, there's good and there's mostly bad to the transfer.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was just for effect. This guy, it's such an unheard of great story. Look, can you believe he's here. We didn't even know his name. Maybe they could sell it us that I've got to something that I think is similar that happened in the NFL. I want us to get your thoughts quickly if this is worse or the same. So Mark Sanchez, former NFL quarterback. He jumped to the broadcast booth recently is being as a color analyst, and when making a comment about a play that may need to be reviewed or a challenge, he said, well, hey, let's uh, let's throw it. Let's see what Let's see what Gene has to say. And he wasn't He was basically saying, we might have to have him give us an update. Wrong network. He worked for CBS.
Speaker 3: He referenced the rules analysts.
Speaker 2: That's a little bit.
Speaker 1: I think he was able to keep his job, but like one the other guy, like, imagine throwing it to him the rest of the season. You thought you thought you had.
Speaker 3: The You know, I feel I feel for him because every time someone talks about him, they do the butt butt fumble, and it's just like, dude, it was one play in a career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also it was a bad look for broadcasters, who like, why do we even need people who you never played the game? Well, you didn't even know what neverk you worked for?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 1: All right, let's let's hand it off Tony and right here and news radiate forty to b h SM