Speaker 1: The Lapse Man presents the Complete Hull Kogan, a real American story brought to you by Garage Beer.
Speaker 2: So we're here with the legendary Baron von Rashki Darren. We were at Mancini's last night in Saint Paul. I saw your picture up on the wall. Do you remember going to Mancinies after the matches at Saint Paul?
Speaker 3: You need to know that. I'll tell you all you need to know. We used to love to go to Mancini.
Speaker 4: You play us in the back room. You have cooked special meals for us, the wrestlers. I'mre the giant burn Ganya. Oh. My friends, yes, and my enemies.
Speaker 3: And it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: David A little anyway. I love that when Hulk came in, did did you see the Hulk that he would become. What do you remember about Holp working for vern.
Speaker 3: Hulk work working for Verne?
Speaker 4: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 5: H It didn't seem like they got that got along too well. Yeah, and.
Speaker 4: He was too green. He was too green when I when I met him in.
Speaker 2: But uh he he uh.
Speaker 5: He was a big star and he it's too bad that he had bad habits.
Speaker 2: But when you say too green as a fan, I wonder what you mean. It's good on the mic, of course, what was it? How was he green back? Then?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's just uh the tindy of the matches, he.
Speaker 2: Yuh, don't let us get in the way of your business.
Speaker 7: You see me for a minute, who.
Speaker 8: We are waving up from?
Speaker 2: It looks like Barry Darso, looks like Barry Darso. Who the hell isn't it you're saying green? As far as timing of the matches, you mean, oh for sure? Yeah, where are we? Well, we're talking about Hulking you're talking about when you say green, what aspects of the game hadn't he picked up yet? If he ever did?
Speaker 6: Uh, we had all the important tools he needed to be a big success.
Speaker 2: And uh his uh work.
Speaker 6: In the ring worth it was adequate. But he just uh, I don't want to saying loratory, but uh oh of.
Speaker 2: Course not no, no, just your assessment. I mean, you know, do you think Varne coached him up? Did you ever witness Verne trying to give help pointers? Could people talk about that? Or Greg?
Speaker 4: Wow, you learn that you learned something new about this thing?
Speaker 2: Yea our sport.
Speaker 6: Every time you go in the round every night, it's different, the crowd's different, the areas different, everything is different.
Speaker 4: For you have to adjust the things and adjustment. And it seems to.
Speaker 9: Me that.
Speaker 6: Hope had developed his own pattern, his own way, and he was very successful that that. I don't want to favor like that. Uh, there's always the same, the same match. He had the same match almost.
Speaker 2: The whole night. Sure, absolutely, did you witness him? Why did he butt heads with Verne so much? Did there?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 2: I've heard Brad Ring and Greg, Jim Buzziell a bunch of guys talk about how they butted heads. Did they just have personalities that didn't match? What did that? What did you see? I have no idea. Yeah, yeah, just a couple more for you, Baron. What do you think happened the A w A ultimately? I mean, obviously Vince went national and did vern not make the right adjustments? Was it over before it started? What's your perspective?
Speaker 11: It was what it was?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I don't know. It was just like the business.
Speaker 5: They were.
Speaker 4: Going back and forth, and uh, pretty seen most of the w A I A w A have.
Speaker 5: Recruited into the wwwwwww.
Speaker 13: Anyone want to ask.
Speaker 14: Did you ever have dinner at Vern's house on Lake Minnetonka the Palace?
Speaker 2: Did you know making dinner well Fern's house on Lake Minatonka. Did you ever have the boys over for big dinners?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 4: Really, no, no, I never idea I did it?
Speaker 16: He did?
Speaker 2: He once? I was Yeah, he was barbecuing one time Barbice.
Speaker 4: We had some meetings there, but they so you do business there sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it wasn't for a meal. Last question for you, Benn, and part of my ignorance. Did you participate in The Wrestler nineteen seventy four with that asthma or the movie? Were you around that scene?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 4: No, yeah, they were too busy trying to get pressure rush.
Speaker 2: They got crusher, Dick bruiser Dustin rush rush Sure.
Speaker 4: A bruiser through the apartment door. They both wanted to be in.
Speaker 2: The room first. Why are you fighting to get into door? Mus a story I heard about that. You're a real gentleman. Thank you so much for the time, all the best of you, Thanks for all what you did.
Speaker 1: A laps fan wrestling podcast.
Speaker 2: So we're here with the grappler Lendenton, who's extremely kind to give us some time Lenn. Recently and looking back at Hulk Cogan's career, we came upon nineteen eighty a Super numb show where he wrestled Andre's kind of right before the Shay Stadium match they had. We chatted a bit. You don't remember that exact show, but can you talk to us about any memories of Hogan in those earliest days when he first started working with Andrea before he became the superhero.
Speaker 8: Well, I remember, I remember when he was named was Sterling Golden Gillia and I was in Nashell, Tennessee. Him and David Schultz worked with me. It's some of my in a tag match and he he was so green. He dropped the elbow my ribs.
Speaker 3: And I came in and I remember going back because he's a rookie. I cheered his ass. I said, stupid, something like you who taught you how to work? He was green on I said, tell him learn how to work?
Speaker 17: You killed me?
Speaker 3: Do what are you doing? I I didn't mean, Ju'm sorry, you know, but I mean he was.
Speaker 8: Like, that's where it was the guys that were above you, that's how you learned, right. I mean I wouldn't cause you might want to fight, you say, listen, you gotta learned all the way and all like that, right, Yeah, but uh, he was cool with it. But then then after they all left Knoxville and I think that's when he went to New York or something with Yes, I.
Speaker 13: Don't remember that specific match and was super Dome.
Speaker 2: Yes, But I'm glad you mentioned Knoxville because we were trying to find people who remembered that era, because that was that was after Ron Fuller had sold Knoxville.
Speaker 3: That Barnett exactly, I went there.
Speaker 2: They were going to give me a big break, really, and so I.
Speaker 8: Went there and I was there about thirty four weeks and they're not doing nothing. I remember if his Ox Baker was there and I was riding with him almost every night, and I think I was there three months and maybe then I went to Calgary.
Speaker 3: From there, we're winning toys, right. I knew I could work on top.
Speaker 8: There to get a spot on the top, so I can finally get a spot back in the States on top. When I remember about Knoxville was as ox Baker goes, kid, listen, you you do great promos, You do good promos, but you need a tagline something.
Speaker 3: Remember, you buy.
Speaker 8: He's here, guys, and then we're going and we're riding here every night. This went on for like two or three weeks. Finally one day picks me up and he goes, beet in the car.
Speaker 3: I got it, I got it. He goes, this is it.
Speaker 13: They got a name for you.
Speaker 8: When you're the greatest wrestler in restling today, they don't call you a great wrestler.
Speaker 3: They call you the grappler. Beat me if you can't, and I've been using it ever since.
Speaker 2: But if you can't start, you gave me word for box did so.
Speaker 3: He was a great talk.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad you got Oh. I'm so glad you mentioned Knoxville, because so Haulk was with Ron Fuller in seventy nine. He wrestled Andre there in Dothan, Alabama, and like March, then he wrestled Harley there in July and Dothan and a lot of people don't know anything about that territory because it wasn't It doesn't survive on video. Do you remember hearing at all about this green Hawk guy before he came into Knoxville.
Speaker 3: No, just when I was there, he was there, that was there. How this guy gigantic.
Speaker 17: He looks great.
Speaker 3: I mean, this guy looks like a million minute. He looks like a million dollars, but you don't know how to work it. And he did it.
Speaker 7: He did it.
Speaker 3: But I knew eventually he would get it because he lives athletic, you know so. But but yeah, everybody was looking like, yeah, the guy's gonna get it pushed soon or legs.
Speaker 4: Look at me?
Speaker 10: How what it was?
Speaker 14: It was so I.
Speaker 3: Got so big, so I everybody knew he was going to get a push. On the top of the reaching.
Speaker 2: He had that belt that had like the American flag colors on there. Do you remember what that was at the Southeastern heavyweight he wrestled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my opinion was, yeah, see I was there and they just I was here supposed to give me a.
Speaker 17: Push, and you know it didn't work.
Speaker 3: I remember Tony Atlas was there give her guys like that.
Speaker 2: It seemed like a lot of the guys that were working for only in Georgia after Yeah, guys like that.
Speaker 3: And then I wasn't doing very young.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 13: I remember was Stuart Calgary from.
Speaker 2: Who was the boss of the territory then? Who who do you remember running that show and not slow.
Speaker 18: I'm sure.
Speaker 13: I think.
Speaker 2: It's very hard for us to was well, it's so fun. Barnett had taken over, was it? It wasn't Bob Bruke because he was Bob Bruke got drummed out of the territory after that because he had he had the fight with Ron Fuller and then dis later was there, h yeah, I don't think he was booking up well, Fuller had given up Knoxville to Barnett, so Fuller had the war over Knoxville. Wouldn't know who he wasn't No, not written, not quite.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: Do you remember Hogan wrestling Andrea Knoxville. There's a match? Well here, I remember this and okay, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: I didn't watch the match, but I know that he's on the car, okay, okay, and I remember this is no ship. People don't believe this. Harley Races. Here is a big car, right, Okay, Harley Race is here? All these guys in there in the state. Was it Thanksgiving or somewhere now?
Speaker 2: Could have been.
Speaker 8: He was there in late seventy nine Thanksgiving show and and Hogan was going when I put my what do you call the pythons?
Speaker 19: On.
Speaker 3: Maybe nobody got jock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the people, like I said, like.
Speaker 3: Different guys, you mess around, right, yeah, And so Andre heard it. I was sitting right there and watching his Oh really that red bust you like Jim Regis. No, put it on me? No, I said, put it on me and shoot it, and he did.
Speaker 8: He did.
Speaker 3: He shot it and he didn't.
Speaker 18: Lock it like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he locked it like the script wa way way you can't. He's like yeah yeah, and Andre like buddy, right now, yeah.
Speaker 3: Brunning, your mouth was there?
Speaker 18: Was there?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Quite hell? Oh shit, shit. Andre got pissed. So he got tired of hear it. You talk about it, right, and he said.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's he thinking walking around.
Speaker 3: Saying he was just Andre had enough, bunny. So he got up and said all right.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because everyone talks about how there's tensions between Hulk and Andrea and like, you know, the WrestleMania three stuff, But to us, we go back and it's like Andre gave him a huge break in Alabama. He worked him before he could do anything in the room. So it seems like they're actually buddies. I don't know, but it sounds like you observed a little bit of tens.
Speaker 3: A little bit with his ego.
Speaker 13: He didn't like the Eagle and.
Speaker 10: What it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you remember Bill Watt's having a problem with Hulk.
Speaker 1: No One.
Speaker 2: It was just that one story from that Super Home show because Hulk says that Bill was trying to like put one over on him and make him lose to Wahoo and then lose to Andre. When Hulk is just on the ascent in New York.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't doubt will do that, Bill. I mean Bill, he was pretty the Bill was one hell of a mastermind.
Speaker 15: Was me.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he's got to draw money. I give a guy credit for that. Brother, He gave me my gimmick. Yeah, I mean I didn't come there and go I want to wear a little bit, wear a mask. You just need a mask, guy, and you're gonna wear a load of blue. They're okay. That's the way I went down.
Speaker 2: Last question for you. Thank you for the time. It's very nice of you. What do you make of of Hulk? I mean we lost him last year. What he went on to become from when you remember that Green kid? You know the business so well.
Speaker 8: Dy Piper was a good friend of mine and he knew Holgan. You know he was a good guy. Guys that I know that knowing, Like when.
Speaker 11: You're no threat.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing. When you're a threat to.
Speaker 8: The guy in the business, sometimes you get a different opinion. But if you're not a threat coming by one of the best guys you ever met, yeah, you know what I'm saying, Because if you threatened my job, like hey, this guy trying to take my place, you know, all of a sudden you may have some man and mossty or problem. But then like if if you're not a threat, you may be one of the boys you've met, you know what I mean. It was always nice to me. I wouldn't rhyme that much, but I was never a threat to Zob. I was like, hey, brother, I'm always making him look good. You know, how many time do you want to swim me?
Speaker 3: I don't care. I want to eat to pay day?
Speaker 9: Brother?
Speaker 11: Yeah fly.
Speaker 2: Thank you all the best of you, buddy. It was very nice to see you.
Speaker 1: The Last Fall Wrestling Podcast.
Speaker 2: Damn Spivey The One and Only Waylen Mercy as well. One of the things we always wondered about is longtime fans. There's a point in eighty four, so when you were with vents at Hope was there, of course, and you you had the pair to look like you had the yellow trunks.
Speaker 1: What was it about.
Speaker 2: They're trying to like pass you off as like Hogan's brother or something.
Speaker 17: No, that's not And that was the biggest mistake that I ever made.
Speaker 2: Oh really do it?
Speaker 18: Oh?
Speaker 17: Yeah, I should went in with black hair, been more.
Speaker 20: Of the Brusier Brodie type where I could reward we're holding right, And uh, they got rid.
Speaker 3: Of me because I looked too much like him.
Speaker 2: Well I was going to say, that was your choice to come in with that look and ask you to look like that.
Speaker 17: Yeah, No, they didn't ask me anything. It was a stupid mistake on my part. Yeah, So I don't know why I did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah did they? Did they ask you to change your look? Or did they just say get lost?
Speaker 12: That's the get him a walking paper? Is that right?
Speaker 18: You know?
Speaker 17: When I first went in there, I was teamed up with Mike your time.
Speaker 2: Right and right.
Speaker 12: We had the red, white and blue deal going on.
Speaker 2: You know America had left right, Yeah, yeah, and so.
Speaker 20: And then you know I went as a single because Mike lab and for some stupid reason, I don't know why.
Speaker 17: I did someone said something.
Speaker 3: I mean, I would have done it.
Speaker 2: But I was hogan to work with your experience with him over.
Speaker 13: The years, I never worked with him.
Speaker 2: No, I meant in the same locker room. But yeah, I got you.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I knew him with poor Rustling.
Speaker 2: He played in the rock and Roll back in Tampa show and I was.
Speaker 17: The bouncer at a lot of the clubs.
Speaker 2: The Imperial Room was that one of them?
Speaker 5: No theme of it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the other place.
Speaker 20: Yeah, the Imperial Room is Tuesday night. That's where the wrestlers went because we wrestled. They ristled in Tampa, Yes, Tuesday, and the Imperial Room is like a country western bar.
Speaker 18: That right.
Speaker 2: So so what do you remember about Hoult from back then, because everyone has memories. Was he up on the stage playing or was it?
Speaker 17: Yeah, it was on the stage playing, and yeah they was a pretty good band they had.
Speaker 20: It's called Ruckus And you know that's right, any kind of put the relationship or anything with your snow side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's looking back at that time in Florida. You hear Matsuda was breaking guys in Hulk has his story about do you think that's some bullshit? The whole story about What do you think about that story?
Speaker 3: That's a story?
Speaker 9: Wow?
Speaker 20: You yeah, I can't because Max Sua ten years before I got into business, I went to Masuda and it was the worst football camp. And through I've been something through Georgia's football camps, a little if the Jets football camp for you know, Jacksonville Express, and it was harder than any of those camps.
Speaker 2: It was was he was he twisting and bending or was he just running in center the.
Speaker 20: Exercises, exercises, fine squad, it was I wouldn't he shaped for that at all?
Speaker 17: Now he killed me and I eventually didn't come back.
Speaker 2: Didn't come back. Oh yeah, you're one of the ones that didn't come to the last wrestling podcast. Pleasure to be here with Ken Anderson, former TNA champ, mister Anderson, et cetera. Thanks, thanks for the time.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: You were in TNA when Hogan a dishot came in. There's been a lot of talk about that listed a dark side series on that whole TNA thing. What is your perspective on Hogan's influence good or bad at TNA? What did you observe so for me it.
Speaker 15: Was all positive, Like I wouldn't have, I wouldn't have been in TNA to begin with.
Speaker 13: Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, it's hard to say.
Speaker 15: I might probably would have eventually found my way there because I remember when I first left ww WE Booker t actually was the first person to reach out to me and he said, Hey, the water is fine over here.
Speaker 13: It's a great place. You should definitely.
Speaker 2: Consider coming over here.
Speaker 3: And then I did the Hogan Tour of Australia.
Speaker 15: It was one of the coolest tours that I've ever been a part of, and I got to know how and I got to know Eric, and we got to understand each other a little bit and have a good working relationship. So when they got into TNA, they were like, hey, this guy should have a place here too. So they really helped me get in the door at TNA and be in the position that I was in. You know, like I when I first started in TNA, I didn't have a great contract. It was a pretty I know, I went from making really really good money in w WS and making okay money, just okay money in TNA. But you know, because they gave me the ball so much, I was able to then have a pretty good lucrative career at TNA, and I was there for six years.
Speaker 2: That was a really nice run. You know, what was Holgan? How was he hands on with booking and telling talent what to do or did you just see him, you know in passing? What was look like backstage?
Speaker 21: Is his presence as far as I know, Like I, as far as I know, he didn't really have anything to do with with creative It was mostly Eric Fisher, Eric.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I was Eric working with with Mitch Musso and Ed Berraro when I first came there, So as far as I know, it was just the three of them, and Hope was just there and you know, he had creative control over the things that he was involved in, but other than that, and he was you know, he was cool backstage. It wasn't like he went into his dressing room and just stayed to himself. He would come out and mingle and have you know, eat catering with the boys and yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when they put the belt on Rob and then Rob's contract expired and he like they couldn't take it off of him. They had a byss kill him in the back. All that that was like a weird time. Do you remember there being like talk about like, what, where's the world title standing? It's bouncing around a lot, It's it's people aren't losing it in the ring.
Speaker 9: I have no neck.
Speaker 2: That was like thend that was like the mid midpoint of it.
Speaker 15: I don't even know that happened.
Speaker 13: Yeah it did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they showed Van dam backstages all boyd even that was the last year solve them until they reworked the deal of Maryland. Gosh, do you think all told that Hogan was accepted by the TNA fans now you would just come so you want one of those TNA guys that had the sense of the fan base as much. But it sounds like they're ejected. I don't know what did you what did you sense?
Speaker 13: I didn't feel that at all. No, really, I never felt that.
Speaker 15: In fact, I wasn't aware of the negative that until I just saw the the documentary. I just saw like the last episode. I didn't even realize it was a three party. I just saw the last the last episode, you know, I didn't really even know that it was like the whole thing man until just just now was news to me as far as I knew the crowd, you know, because it was relatively it was the same crowd week week to week, at least when we were at the Impact Zone in Orlando, and then we took it on the road briefly, which I didn't that was you know, I didn't at the time.
Speaker 3: I didn't knew it was a great idea because it was really expensive.
Speaker 15: You know, you gotta pay for everybody's hotel rooms and you gotta pay for flights and the truck itself to so move there and uh yeah, so wrap the building out and until rent. When you rent a big building out like that, that require you to have like you got to have an ambulance on hand, you gotta have a police officers play we're in security building stand, you know. Yeah, So it was a huge It was hugely expensive. I heard at some point that it was like two hundred and fifty thousand dollars a week. Wow, what they were spending just to do that, Just to How How was Dixon did?
Speaker 2: She was always cool to me.
Speaker 3: It always had a good working relationship.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I had a great working relationship with addiction.
Speaker 15: She was very very nice to me and I always got along with her and her husband, Sergio, Like we would go out to dinner from time.
Speaker 2: To time, the last Pan Wrestling podcast and here with John Nord. John, thank you so much for the time. You know, we're looking back at at learn in the AWA time, So working back at Hogan and him coming through what do you think Hogan figured out about himself and Awa, why did it work and sent him up for Vince to take to take him and then run with him.
Speaker 9: Wall the Holgan was a nice enough fellow where he knew he wasn't perfect with Burn and when he was on Johnny Carson, even when he was with Events.
Speaker 22: I mean, he knew that he was this big, you know, kind of dummy type guy, and Carson could kind of make him look like this big dumb guy with hundred in.
Speaker 11: Charms and all that, and Hogan wasn't like that. Holgan is a very articulate a guy, and this and that and the other.
Speaker 9: But what he learned about himself is uh uh, getting away I'll get away from Burn and figuring it out that now you're in a massive machine and now it's.
Speaker 11: Time for me to groom down.
Speaker 9: Get can make everything I do mean something like I'll take you by the and all that.
Speaker 19: Everybody thought he said that too many times. I thought he did too, but guess what he didn't because it worked.
Speaker 2: It worked. We've heard that brad Ring and some other guys who observed Vern dealing with Hope, they butt heads a lot. Verne would call people idiots and talk about Vern's like temperament because to us as fans, who just looked like he always had it to come together. But behind the scenes he could get on your case if he didn't like what you were doing.
Speaker 11: Oh, Vern was like. Vern was like, I got a story.
Speaker 9: Kevin Kelly is in there and Verne comes in the locker room and he goes, hey, hey, Burn, my name's Kevin Kelly, and Verne books at him.
Speaker 11: He goes, no, it is he. I mean that was just Vern and we laughed.
Speaker 9: If you think about it, it's really funny if you if you think about how it is because you got an old vern On. What a massive eagle he had, Yes, yes, But what I loved about Burn Now my father with Burn's best man and his best friend growing.
Speaker 11: Up in Robinston. What was his name, Joe Elson E? Ls M.
Speaker 9: They graduated forty three Robbinsdale. When I told Burn that Joe Elson was my father.
Speaker 11: In law when I was in brand's very first camp.
Speaker 19: He went, what are you talking about Joe Elson from He thought, maybe I'm talking about another guy.
Speaker 9: And so I literally could never get played, ever get I could do anything and I but burn.
Speaker 19: Wasn't can I missed the big day, I missed the big money.
Speaker 11: Hears, I had a few good paydays.
Speaker 2: And some of the guys over the years round that said Verne would take a percentage if he broke your way and stuff.
Speaker 23: No, you never do that, but he was doing that to certain guys, you know, guys that had no business being in there type thing.
Speaker 9: They were just too hard to look at and they're like, oh, that's not good for them. That guy don't look like you can knock.
Speaker 12: Over girls carrying a pana brown.
Speaker 2: Now, when when you talked about Vern, you know, being having kind of a hot hugging dude. But but you couldn't get fired. Did he Did you ever scream at you? Can you tell me a story about.
Speaker 17: No, he never did.
Speaker 9: But I seen him stream at plenty of guys. And of course you heard about Eddy Sharky shooting and in his office. But Vern would be like would come up to certain.
Speaker 11: Guys and like you hit him in the pehead and god, what's wrong with you?
Speaker 9: You go.
Speaker 13: Spot?
Speaker 23: Yeah, you're like, who did you ever beat? He would say, yeah, like like amateur, who did you ever beat? No, I didn't beat Kale standards. This is pro wrestling. And that was Burn's famous line was who did you ever beat? And Burn courts with two time national champion and also a war hero.
Speaker 9: So these guys were real guys, and I think and what I loved about Burn was he tried to keep it real as possible and tried to keep tried to keep real tough guys in there.
Speaker 3: But saying that he didn't.
Speaker 19: I mean, I see one job guy with fingers in at door of the arm and like that, one guy named Jim Mitchell.
Speaker 11: He had a hand like this, the current handed and always look at me angle and go, hey.
Speaker 3: Mitchal you want to go, that's what your thing looks like.
Speaker 7: It's just like that.
Speaker 3: Amazing and I would go a typical court handing.
Speaker 2: Last question for you, did you ever have a program with Hogan scheduled in WWF?
Speaker 3: Yes, I did, well.
Speaker 19: Brad Langans was talking, Uh was talking to then real regularly.
Speaker 13: Now this is in maybe yeah eighty eighty six, you're right.
Speaker 2: He wanted Brad do like a camp, like a wrest wrestling camp.
Speaker 17: He wanted world, Yes, you want to hauld Cogan wrestling camp.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And uh uh.
Speaker 9: Brad would always kind of brag about me because he's in my good buddy.
Speaker 11: Anyways, I talk to.
Speaker 12: Him every day.
Speaker 2: How's he doing.
Speaker 11: He's he's he's struggle man. Yeah, he's having an ankle. He had ankle surgery.
Speaker 9: He's had twenty nine survey goodness, real, twenty nine bullshit. But anyway, yet he mentioned and he and he he mentioned me to Holgan, and Hogan goes just exactly like this, he goes.
Speaker 17: He's my man, He's the one I got picked out right now, really, and I.
Speaker 11: Always looked at pro wrestling, I think as like a part time job. It's just parady.
Speaker 24: Yes, And I never got serious really about it.
Speaker 11: And I wish I would have, because if I would have, I would have. I know I would I had been able to have along with Wolgan. I want to kept training and I want to went back to the car lot.
Speaker 17: And all that.
Speaker 2: So by the time he came into Viking, there wasn't a program.
Speaker 11: There wasn't one to schedule.
Speaker 9: And I think I could have had one if they would have had it on the books, Like look at this when I came in as a VIK and I was big, My arms were big, and and I wasn't all wore out yet. But I think they still could have been But but they didn't because they were waiting to see if I was gonna go fuck it, I'm out of here, John, Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: The Man.
Speaker 25: Wrestling Podcast with Jack and jo a Lap Crown Wrestling podcast.
Speaker 13: You're going to go with Mickey Morley.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm making VICKI meet you. What's your story? You're a regular hero, You're a part of the Yeah, it looks like you brought a buck into O two. Yeah, couple of books here.
Speaker 18: I love it.
Speaker 2: So you then coming here forever.
Speaker 18: Since nineteen seventy seven. I met nickname seeing me back in nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 2: Yes, he team.
Speaker 18: I was working for his cousin on the east side of Saint Paul and Nick would come visit us every week. And a couple of years later I got over here, said whether Harry Bennett been waiting for me?
Speaker 26: Yeah?
Speaker 13: But Nick?
Speaker 18: No, Nick opened it would have been where that front door is up there at five point thirty one was seventh.
Speaker 13: Okay, the original bar would have been an old three two beer bar.
Speaker 18: In nineteen forty eight, he came home from the army and his folk staked him to the bar.
Speaker 13: He was sold beer and his mom made spaghetti and meatball.
Speaker 2: Right, So what about the wrestlers here, they were coming after the matches.
Speaker 13: It so yeah, it was really big, I would say from a box.
Speaker 18: Oh, nineteen seventy eight, seventy nine into the mid eighties, and basically for the for those first few years when they still have the Gentleman's Agreement, Dania just said the Midwest that man kept the East. Danya's guys would they'd have a big match on Sunday nights at the old Civic Sentar, it's where the Excel is now. Well, they'd have a big match about Sunday night. They'd come in about ten thirty eleven o'clock. After the match. Andre Giant would come in, right, he come in, Huck Hogan. I think I shook hands with the Giant once. He wasn't real friendly, but he'd he just shake your hand and or folk would folk would come.
Speaker 13: And talk to us.
Speaker 18: Yeah, he was well basically well then eventually when he went back to Vince there.
Speaker 13: About eighty three eighty four, he went back to Smakpan.
Speaker 18: Yeah, Vern was going to give him the title, and I think in eighty three, but he had a contract with New Japan.
Speaker 13: And what he wanted to do was six months with New Japan.
Speaker 18: Six months was a w a o Vern, but he do He'd be two months here, two months there to Burn said, no, I want you here all the time, and so Vern would, I guess I'm gonna drew. He went out to the ring. He think he was going to get the championship. Vern told Bobby Heenen to get this qualified. He gets the victory, but he doesn't get the title. Yes, Bobby heen and jumps in Backwinkle is lost by I's got him pinned. But if before the Camprol, it's this qualification, so there's no title, Ship said. Shortly after that, Huck went back to Vince somewhere eighty four. So after that then he was still come here. But then Vern Vince people would come in here when they were in town, and then Vern's people for You're.
Speaker 13: Battling for a few years there, but bit by bit.
Speaker 18: Vince kind of Vince kind of ran him out of business. It's like like Jimmy Brunzell, he was the hometown boy. He hired him away from here and then geegue Oakerland our announcer. Yeah, geene Oakerland was South Dakota and then here in.
Speaker 13: The Twin Cities he was. Then they hired him Jim Brunzell. Who else.
Speaker 18: Eventually yeah, Bobby Usia. Yeah, Al yeah, he was sitting right. He was here roughly about ten years ago. He came in one night for dinner and like John Means, he said, who's that guy?
Speaker 13: I reckon?
Speaker 18: He said, that's Al Drusha. He was Wally Carbo's assistant. Yes, you know, he was like the assistant promoter when Wally Carbo was the promoter. Well, he was in here about ten years ago and then over the next few years he'd come in every once in a while with his son. Last time I saw him was probably about four years ago.
Speaker 13: He was here.
Speaker 18: He was having a real hard time coming out of his chair. But as he walked with everybody, heh shaking his hand out we remember you with the age that we missed you.
Speaker 5: That right.
Speaker 18: He was just feeling so touched that everybody. Oh, We always loved it when you were on wrestling.
Speaker 2: I love that and hop about Rod Tongo.
Speaker 13: He was a KSTP radio.
Speaker 18: I never thought, you know, he was always the straight He was always like football and straight stuff and.
Speaker 12: Then the fixed stuff.
Speaker 18: But then it's the wrestling fixed stuff. When God needed, when Ghania needed somebody. After Gene Okerland left, Tron Guard was doing some of the stuff for Gania in the mid eighties.
Speaker 2: It was yeah, because he was always slid. He wears sunglasses indoors. Was he like high all the time? Or what Rod tong got?
Speaker 13: You're not thinking of Marty O'Neil, are you?
Speaker 2: I don't know Marty.
Speaker 12: Marty.
Speaker 18: Marty died back in nineteen eighty three. Marty was our announcer back in the fifty sixties and seventies. He lived at eleven eleven Randolph and me. Yeah, he oh, he was mister Saint Paul. He I never did it, but when I was a kid in my twenties, my friends lived in his neighborhood and he'd see him out having a beer, sit in his launch here sometimes on a summer day, and if you walk by and said, hey, Marty a nice guy, he'd sit and he'd talk to you for a few minutes and he's real nice. He was really a baseball announcer. Yes, nineteen forty two to nineteen fifty two, he did ten years with the Saint Paul Saints back when we.
Speaker 13: Were a farm team.
Speaker 18: And then.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I remember some of time. Yeah, it was way back in.
Speaker 18: They were giving him a ten year anniversary in fifty two, and I think the late he didn't get to the wrestlinguntil the late fifties. Late, But like he, they had an old announcer named Steve Cannon. He was a big game announcer CCO.
Speaker 13: But he died.
Speaker 18: He probably died about twenty oh nine, twenty eight. But in nineteen fifty Steve Tannon was a young booth announcer and Marty was the voice of the Saint Paul Saints. But back then they didn't have the bunny to send the announcer on the road trip. What he would do, he'd read the play by play off the ticker tape and he'd he had some sound effects and he'd broadcast it over the radio.
Speaker 2: Like he was really interesting. Andre would come in, what do you remember.
Speaker 18: When he was Oh god, no, he he go into the dining room, okay, and he back. Usually when he was here, the bar was in that middle area, but on this part he was a hereio. It was the middle area he'd passed to, but then he had it for the dining room.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Well, in fact the roots we could only talk to Tim Shoots had Bartender dont the end. He remembers, Oh, you can tell the story better than I can. Basically, one night Andre was in Heu til four am. He had twenty six shots.
Speaker 13: Of booth twenty six with Lucini, had to get somebody to help wheel him into the car.
Speaker 18: They got him back to the hotel and they had to get some of the bust boys at the bill Boys to come and wheel them in.
Speaker 13: And there's two ladies of the evening waiting for him.
Speaker 18: And as they got him in, he fell into the bed and I guess Nick man set ladies.
Speaker 13: I don't think he's going to be any good for you.
Speaker 2: Great story, But if you had talked Kim.
Speaker 13: Peter that sorr he he knew Bobby.
Speaker 2: Heen personally, he's got a great story.
Speaker 18: I'll try to tell you the story. It's Lockwinkel and Stevens. If you remember Nick Barkinle Ray Stevens.
Speaker 13: Yeah, they were.
Speaker 18: You know, they had lost the tag team title. I can't remember this late seventies, early in that time period. They had lost it, but they were going to fight to get it back. I think they might have been going up against Brunzellen guy. Yeah, and Bobby Heena comes out, We've got a secret that's gonna win the championship. Well, the thing is, he told Tim how they were always trying to get Marty O'Neill to crack up on an interview, but they could never get Marty was always just serious. Well, they had this playboy full up and he figured on the interview Enan was going to show it to him and get him to crack up. We've got this secret plan Marty, and we're gonna win the championship.
Speaker 13: Well, and he opens it up.
Speaker 18: You can't see it, but he's showing to get the Marty and Marty said, if you can pull that plan off, I think you're gonna win the championship.
Speaker 13: But he just did a totally dead pad. He didn't even get him. But Tim can tell you the story better than what that's basically.
Speaker 12: Did you ever did vern ever come in?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 12: Yeah, tell me about vern What was he.
Speaker 18: Like as Custer is, you know, as a guy on the outside, he was real nice. But I think he if you work for him, he could be a tough boss. But if like me, he got the well. As the years were going on, and my friend Blitz, he was the guy who just he got to be a friend with Hogan, he got to be a friend. There was a commercial back in oh back in my early sixties, Burned Gania pushed Jerry Speed vitamin with this guy Joe's Weybeck and Marty O'Neal would be in there. When you're in your drug store tomorrow and the druggist tells you to try that, you say, uh ah, I want the real thing. I want Jerrospeed with burn Gania's picture and signature on the label. Well, Marty O'Neal's coming in from the parking lot and Blitz started.
Speaker 13: He Barrety knew who Blitz was for many years.
Speaker 18: Blitz was a local boys and he started yelling at the commercial and Marty said, God, this guy knows my commercial better.
Speaker 13: Than I do. And then we gave it and uh bird, we gave it.
Speaker 18: To Finally Blitz is sit the Brune, I got to give you this, and it's uh, ah, you want the real thing burned. And finally Verne got so used to it. Whenever he get out of his car to go into the back door into the auditorium, he'd see Blitz and the first thing you would do is ah. Then he'd give the commercials and everybody vernoud be sitting there. Ah, you want Jerry Speed with Verne got his pictures. This is the late seventies, early eighties, Horull And do you remember Reggie Lezowski's rusher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I's most famous athlete.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean they got a statue of him.
Speaker 12: They sure did.
Speaker 13: Well. I what the heck was the blitzer?
Speaker 2: He said, ha ha ha. Then it came up with the sau Speed.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I'm trying to think of the crushers here. Now what did we call?
Speaker 18: I was born September ninth. It was a Tuesday night in eighteen fifty two.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go to the beginning. Yeah, I'm a little kid.
Speaker 18: I remember back from the late fifties early sixties, Minneapolis always had their match on a Tuesday night, and then they'd come over the same carl on a Saturday night. But I went into the old newspapers nineteen fifty two and a half. Yea, she was there a match the night. I was sure enough, wow, And I can't remember Hard Boiled Haggard he was on the that but one of the up it was like the result it was for September ninth, nineteen fifty two, young Reggie Lizowski lost the bulldog Danny Plutches. Then a week later, young Reggie Lozowski lost to Ryan mcclarity. So if we caitched the Crusher coming out of the Minneapolis Auditorium one night, it's about nineteen eighty. Hey, Crusher, Crusher, September ninth, nineteen fifty two, you lost the bulldog Danny Plutches in fourteen minutes. Then he says, September sixteenth, you lost to Roy mcclarity in fifteen minutes.
Speaker 13: Why did you lose, Crusher? And he looks you must have done deep for that. But then Crusher, why did you lose? And he says, what do you want? I was only fourteen?
Speaker 18: Great story, And well, if you see where they signed the chairhouse this sad wall is there a lot of pictures back in oh back in nineteen eighty four, the bar was in that area and the wall wasn't there. There was like a platform with a big booth or a big cable, a big TV. And we were sitting about there before this bar was here. We were in that middle area and the pressure. It was the end of the nineteen forty eight or nineteen eighty four Olympink. Yeah, you just wrestled in downtown Saint Paul. And he came and stood right at our table and we all shook hands with him, and he watched the end of the credits for about ten minutes with us.
Speaker 4: That was pretty good.
Speaker 2: It's really good.
Speaker 24: Yeah.
Speaker 13: At the time, I'm in my early thirties, I'm sitting to my god.
Speaker 2: Remember when they shot the wrestler with that Asthna playing burn dives.
Speaker 13: Oh that was in seventy three. That was a spring Are you around for that?
Speaker 2: Seen the movie?
Speaker 18: Wo They found a lot of that in the local it's the Ray Wilkins Auditorium now, it's the older part of the Saint Paul Auditorium that it was bled in the thirties. Okay, fact that well, they had the Civic Center by seventy one, but that was our We still had a lot of the matches there in the early seventies, and uh, yeah, they filmed as was on a ring side. We were around that as a lot, and uh we saw where Ray Stevens coons off the top rope and kills jump and Joe's scapillow in the movie. They we sat there when they filmed that scene about six times where you jump off the scene. That's the particular scene. I think the scene the scene, Oh god, it's the Rhodes and Murdoch kept the fight with the local yeah, up in Maslas.
Speaker 13: And I didn't, I wasn't.
Speaker 18: I didn't see that, but I did see it in the movie. But then mel Jazz was an annun wrestling announcer in the movie. And uh and then maybe Klobasher Jim Klobascher's.
Speaker 13: Her dad, you know.
Speaker 18: He was newspaper man, Yes it was. And he used to call the aw a this burn got. He was the champion of the seven disc seven County Mosquito Control District and vern would come out and start yelling at him. We rustled a lot, but I think actually he was getting free publicity. He was cussing out Klobashar. But then Klobehar is in the movie. There he's the one guy that.
Speaker 2: Wrestlers were killed in the ring.
Speaker 18: Yeah, that was that's Amy Klobashar's dad. It's a named newspaper man in Minny.
Speaker 2: And you didn have a reputation of taking a lot of the wrestler's money.
Speaker 18: Well, one time, if you remember Larry Hennick, I think he kind of retired from the ring in the late eighties and he became like a business agent for a local teamsters union. And yeah, and in fact he alc River. He had a real estate company up in Elk River, Larry Hennick Realty. And but he was at the kelly In. It's it's the capital allowed now, but he used to be the kelly In on Race Street, right across from Minnesota Department of Transportation, right near the capitol.
Speaker 13: And he pop in sometimes after a business eating with the team shows. He's at the bar.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 18: One night I got the shake hands with him. He gave me an autograph picture. Wow, one night a guy from my office sitting at the shaking hands. Hey, Larry, what's room gun?
Speaker 13: You really like that? He tells at a paper like this paper.
Speaker 18: He pulls out paper and he goes like this, this is your part of the dollar. This is Burne's part of the dollar.
Speaker 13: He did that right at the bar.
Speaker 2: Well, it looks about would you say that's about ninety, that's about ten.
Speaker 18: Yeah, well then I don't know if you remember any Sharky. Any Sharky was a referee in a light heavyweight wrestler.
Speaker 2: He was the one that went in a shot at Burn's office.
Speaker 18: Yeah, yeah, and he he went. My friend went up to him one night after during the match. He said, Hey, is it true what Larry Hennick said about Ghanya? And he said, what are you saying he did that the shark? He said, exactly right.
Speaker 2: It's a double confirmation. Do you remember hearing that Sharky story? He said something to do with vern and his wife or something.
Speaker 18: I think he went out shooting at his farm. He had a farm out there, and Wiston handed from Goody. Sounds like he went off and he starts shooting at the barn.
Speaker 2: At the barn. I never got this barn.
Speaker 13: I never got to.
Speaker 18: I think he wanted had to pack up and go down and work for Kansas City or something for a while, and he didn't want to leave here.
Speaker 13: Kansas City.
Speaker 18: You know, he make money, but still it was kind of like a secondary circuit got to some of the guys, so he didn't want to do it, and then they were in a big feud. When I went to I made a sharky in seventy three. I worked out at his gym for buddy year. My friend Jed Carlson did about six months in Kansas City.
Speaker 12: He gave it.
Speaker 18: He never made it, but he gave it a shot. But he trained with Jesse Ventura. Yeah, Jesse came in. He was Jimmy Janos at the time before he became and I got to meet him at a match. He saw my friend Jed at the match one night before he went to Kansas City and I got to meet him. But then he went down to Kansas City. About three months later, Jed tells me, oh, he's now he's Jesse Ventura. And every about a year in Kansas City he goes up to Seattle and Portland and a few years later he comes brings him in. But I remember meeting him and shaking his hands way back.
Speaker 12: What did you what did you think about him being governed?
Speaker 18: Well, I got to kick out of it. I don't know, I don't know, I don't know what exactly. The I mean, things things run, Things just keep running.
Speaker 13: Whoever the governor is.
Speaker 18: The damnedest thing is he had one person, you know, like one house of the legislature was Republican, the other house was Democrat.
Speaker 13: I think there was one guy in.
Speaker 18: The whole legislature that supported him. But he wanted But the thing is, he wanted the light rail, and he said, well he wanted it, so he got it. Well, he had to sell both houses at the legislature, both of them had to vote it in for him to get the light rail.
Speaker 2: But that was only done with pulse that Vin stood with help.
Speaker 18: Well, you know, I think Hulk got pissed at Vern. I think a lot of those promotions like shorts and all these outside I had stuff they sold and stuff. I think Hulk wanted to take it into a new era in Oh god, I think he was out that way.
Speaker 9: I never.
Speaker 13: Never did meet her. Oh you know. The damnedest thing was it was, oh something.
Speaker 18: I when I read the late seventies, they got that all start wrestling hotline where you could call up and you know, they give you that both the news of what happened and what's going to happen next.
Speaker 13: Week or the matches for.
Speaker 22: The next week.
Speaker 18: Well, we were doing that, and then I used to go out to Wilson Library at the u M because newspapers would come in from big cities. And I had found that Houston newspaper published results, and I think I had one from San Francisco that published results. They were like two weeks late, but still I knew something about what was going on, and I could show it to my friend and he'd show some of it at the wrestlers outside, and sometimes they'd.
Speaker 13: Be, how the hell do you know that?
Speaker 18: Really?
Speaker 2: But it was where was it?
Speaker 18: One day I got them the Houston newspaper called a Houston Wrestling Hotline for your latest and sit there. Oh, if we've had it for a year, I should have known that other cities would happen. Sure enough, we called it long distance. Sure enough, my friend Blitz almost hit irvrana when he called it. Then we got on directory assistance. We had one for Houston, we had one for Kansas City, we had one for Saint Louis.
Speaker 13: We had one for Chicago. As much as Chicago was part.
Speaker 18: Of the AWA, they still had a different They ran different matches. Sometimes some of our guys were there, and some of the other guys were there, and they and but then Blitz could blow it at them when they came in here. But then, Gwitz, it's got It's nineteen seventy nine. He was calling all these every night after work, and his girlfriend was ready.
Speaker 13: To kill me. The phone bill came for one hundred and seventy five balls. Yeah, she you you taught him, and she started yelling at him.
Speaker 18: You're paying every day. Yeah, I'm never paying the foot, You're paying the floor. One hundred and seventy nine dollars in nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 3: Was all out of money, right right?
Speaker 2: And about of course from here? Did you know about him before?
Speaker 13: He was on wrestling Gee Up, Follow the Leader with Gene Leader. He was on the Look teen Leader.
Speaker 2: He went by Gene Leader, that's right.
Speaker 18: I think he was on shre w d g y I Play and then well, my boss, one of my bosses, Kurt Diileen, grew up in South Dakota.
Speaker 13: I think he's probably graduated to the high school the f fifteen nine or sixty there was South Dakota, Okay. Baron was from Omaha.
Speaker 2: Baron Gene Leader.
Speaker 18: I think he was hit a band in South Dakota where in Kirk. I knew him in high school, back in my night and sixties. No, Kurt my boss at No because I told him about Oh, I knew him.
Speaker 13: He was Gene Leader. He in a band.
Speaker 18: Yeah, and then by the mid sixties he was followed the leader with Gene Leader here.
Speaker 2: On remember him Gene Leader?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Was he just spending spinning records? Was hedgy. He strikes me as someone that was always gene no matter where you meant. He was full gimmick all the time.
Speaker 18: Al Do RuSHA though, Alderrusha was like the television producer of Ballsta Wrestling.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 13: And then eventually Bill the System was Carbo's assistant.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 18: And he died suddenly in seventy three. And it's a few months later they made alder RuSHA part.
Speaker 13: Of the In first there was a picture. I don't have to show you the picture.
Speaker 18: It's from about nineteen seventy nine or eighty. It's ald Arusha with Wally Carbo and the Crusher.
Speaker 12: Oh, I love to see it.
Speaker 13: There's a picture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about what about Wally Carbo? He's such an interesting figure to me. We only see him an.
Speaker 18: Older talk about and all the old days of wrestling, you know, it's everything.
Speaker 2: He's sound like a weasel, like well, listen, I can't figure him out.
Speaker 18: He had to play the part, it sounded like. And a lot of times Verne was really tight with the money. And lots of times he he Kennis took the fall from Room because some of the guys would come back to the dressing room after the match and they were not making the money that they thought they were getting, and Run would look at the guys and.
Speaker 13: Pat can tell you the story better than I can.
Speaker 18: Boot.
Speaker 2: I've heard Craig tell it too.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so Carbo is someone who's doing tight with the money, and he said, go see Wally.
Speaker 13: Is that what I'm.
Speaker 18: Carbo was really the guy and he was really tight with the money. Yes, but then he the guys were complaining. Room said I'm going to talk to Wally, and Wally would somebody's got to take the heat, and so he kind of took found on his sword.
Speaker 13: For I remember being at Sharky's.
Speaker 18: Gym when I was still in college, were working out and some of the guys are start talking about time along Ganien. I think Sharky are one of those that huh, it's a partnership. But Brune says jump, and Wally says, how.
Speaker 2: Far That's what I'm looking for.
Speaker 18: Because what Wally Carbo what nineteen thirty four, nineteen thirty I think he graduated from Delasale High School nineteen thirty three, and about a year later he's downtown looking for a job. The Steicher brothers kill, yeah, they're down there, and snicker Steitcher.
Speaker 2: I always say Stecker, but yeah, yeah, and they.
Speaker 18: He's looking for a job. That harrim is an office boy, and apparently he really does a good job. He just messages runs Aaron's for him. Really doesn't good job at organizing the office.
Speaker 13: That they keep him on. I seen some pictures of him as an out.
Speaker 18: Referee around nineteen forty. And one of the brothers died in the mid forties, and the other brother made him a partner. Then the other brother wanted to retire in fifty five, and then Wally bought the one brother pulls the nephew okay, and he bought them out. He became he owned it, and then Vern became his partner around nineteen fifty nine or sixty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you remember vern't being the national celebrity of the Dumont Network. Do you remember watching him?
Speaker 13: That was I've heard of it, but that was in the early fifties. I was just a little kid.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I guess they're Red Bass Team popped up somewhere there again. Uh wrestled the champ and I guess Red Bass Team came on as a young guy.
Speaker 13: He was younger than Vern. He beep Vern on one of those matches, I guess, But I the thing was like, Vern was really good.
Speaker 18: But how by nineteen seventy, Vern was like forty five years older and Billy Robinson showed up in seventy one, and when they matched, they wrestled. If Vern had been the Veroin of ten years earlier, he could have matched Billy better, but by.
Speaker 13: That time Verne could not.
Speaker 18: A couple of times they tell me a couple of the matches they had out in Wisconsin. Bill Billy is just killing him with the holes, and Vern turns heel and starts sponging auging him insider, and they start to you know, Vern Brown, Yeah, but Billy Billy was to me, he was the best I ever saw. You know, Reggie Parks and Doug Gilbert are really well you know, but Billy, Yeah, tremendous and the one guy that could really counter him.
Speaker 2: What a what an amazing talent.
Speaker 13: Just you know, he didn't have the fleshy hole.
Speaker 18: But when Billy go at him with a hold, Hawkwinkle could counter could count.
Speaker 2: And why do you think Verne loved Backwinkle so much?
Speaker 13: He did the job.
Speaker 18: He never he never said that, and I guess he just did the job. And apparently he didn't, but he was told and he stayed touch.
Speaker 13: He stayed in touch with the guy.
Speaker 18: From Houston when he's from the n LAT year he was he was defending the a w A title in.
Speaker 13: Houston, in Houston, but I say aw got the world champion, but the a w A champion.
Speaker 3: But apparently he was.
Speaker 13: Oh how he.
Speaker 15: Ver?
Speaker 18: It sounds like Burn could lose his temper. And one time Blitz was talking to a guy that knew Nick pretty well. And this guy was doing some work and he Vern got yelled at him, and he talked to Blitz, talked to him, and Blitz said, Nick told him Vern blowing us up with everybody sometimes is the only two guys I know what he's ever blown up on is myself and Blackjack Lamza is that right?
Speaker 2: In fact him call people dumbass and yell him on ship.
Speaker 18: It sounds like when Pulk decided to break up and go back to back to the East Coast. Apparently they got into an argument in the office and Vern was going to show Hulk something about amateur wrestling. Well Hulk was too big and Vern was too and Halk just put him down and held him and apparently finally Vern was screaming to get up, and a couple of the wrestlers.
Speaker 2: Oh, come on, Hulk, really.
Speaker 18: I don't know if they I don't think they they cucked. You know, you proved your point. And shortly after that, Hulk was scheduled for a match here and.
Speaker 13: Uh, I think.
Speaker 18: Dude.
Speaker 13: A thunderstorm and Florida Hulk.
Speaker 18: Hogan's plane has been grounded, and here comes the Baron van Rashki, who was popular, but everybody wanted to see the Hulk, So everybody was pissed when the Baron came.
Speaker 2: And that wasn't even true. Hulk had already gone in New York.
Speaker 13: Yeah, they always give you some kind of a bullshit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we were waiting for him.
Speaker 13: To bring out Bolinsky.
Speaker 18: If you remember Bolinski because he was they won his bull Bolinski both we've always big here.
Speaker 13: Early in the mid seventies. His real name was Frank Shields.
Speaker 18: Only about five six five seventies, but he had a big thing barrel got Yeah. He teamed up with Prusher and Bruiser, so he was a truck driver. We'll come out with his court Hong Kong.
Speaker 2: Remember Rockinghall bs the Oh.
Speaker 13: Yeah, he went to jail. He was in the van. I guess he was out with the He tried to say I thought she.
Speaker 2: Was eighteen, but I think it's his daughter, for God's sake.
Speaker 18: So Jimmy Brunzell was here about ten years ago for three hours. He signed his book. Did you see his biography?
Speaker 5: I have?
Speaker 13: I have, Yeah, he was here.
Speaker 24: I got the leaf of him.
Speaker 13: He's here for about three hours.
Speaker 2: And super fan. Would you go on Christmas Night?
Speaker 13: Christmas?
Speaker 2: They used to have Christmas night shows at the Senate.
Speaker 13: Right, Oh yeah, I think they hit Turky Day. Yeah, and I think they did. I remember being.
Speaker 18: I could have been in a Christmas night and I remember being at one that was almost Christmas.
Speaker 2: Okay, hey, before we go, hen show us the pictures.
Speaker 18: Yeah, if you don't mind Meltzer. Have you ever heard of Meltzer? The guy from him he's from California because he's still doing his newsletter. Yes, my friend Blitz.
Speaker 2: Only online though you can't get the public.
Speaker 18: Well, my friend Steve Blitz used to be in contact with him, and Blitz died suddenly back in two thousand and one, and Blitz he did he'd give it to all the wrestlers when me Blitz, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 13: One time we're tell was that Rick Martel came in and Blitz is sitting there.
Speaker 18: Hey, Rick, last week you were in Toronto, Montreal and Detroit. Next week you're gonna be and Sue falls Ola Hall and and Martelle.
Speaker 13: Looks at the guy. He knows my schedule better than I do. A nineteen ninety.
Speaker 18: Nine Sure out in front of the Capitol. We had to taste of Minnesota back then. Sure, and Krusher or not mad Dog and his brother Paul the Butcher Vershan. Yes, we're there, and I got a picture with him and Butcher Vershan is sitting there kind of humming some songs in the background.
Speaker 13: I guess he loved the old Broadway musicals. Really, but I got a picture of him with me.
Speaker 18: But then I brought Blitz later and the next day Blitz comes back to mad Dog got a mad Dog and he goes on. Then he wrestled him in sixty three and he wrestled him and after half an hour, mad Dog says, this guy knows my career better.
Speaker 2: It sounds like it.
Speaker 26: I believe it, and Blitz Paul used to Hogan used to call Blitz hall, let's see the Maniac and he'd give him a couple of times.
Speaker 18: He'd call him up at the hotel and he'd be on there, it's blit, oh, Blotsy, how are you? And I'd be listening in and Hogan would be going on but see the Maniac.
Speaker 2: And uh uh.
Speaker 18: One night Hogan was supposed to come back to the hotel in Bloomington. V went somewhere else, but most of the soul who's got Jimmy Harder correct.
Speaker 3: He came in, he saw Bloody says, yeah, Al really likes you.
Speaker 9: Come on.
Speaker 13: He he got to have dinner with Jimmy Hart.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 13: So, Greg Army was in here about a year.
Speaker 18: Ago looking at pictures, and I introduced myself and who shook hands and talked for a while.
Speaker 2: That's person.
Speaker 18: And well, oh well the Baron. Baron was here last October when I got to see him. Wow, yeah, he's I think he's eighty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, freaking arty.
Speaker 13: He says that Johnson Kim Petteria comes in. But Kim's outing very good health.
Speaker 2: Yeah he had a health scare. Yeah, yeah, he's in.
Speaker 1: He's a LAPTNG wrestling podcast.
Speaker 2: Craig ganya here of the Ganda Dynasty. And I got to tell you right off the gate. We started our trip to Minneapolis going to Lake Minnetonka. We went to the house on Friday morning, yep. And what evocative place we wonder? Do you ever go back there? Is it a painful memory that it's there but not his.
Speaker 27: Well, it's it's pretty painful, is it.
Speaker 10: It put my mom and my dad in the grave?
Speaker 2: She said, yeah, they that's heavy.
Speaker 5: He had it.
Speaker 27: He had it all set up to develop it at three acre lots all the way down behind it. It was fifty two acres and eighteen hundred feet of lake show beautiful, and he had a barn and a sports yourself there and the two guys here in town of Jim Klobacher's a newspaper.
Speaker 2: Writer yep, Amy Klobacher's dad.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and Harvey McKay.
Speaker 27: They told my dad that he should have a party for the for the people in government from Minnesota. So my dad three party for him. My sister heard the two of them, Clobshire and.
Speaker 1: The other the other guy.
Speaker 2: I forgot to McKay, Mick.
Speaker 27: McKay, Harvey McKay saying nobody should have this much property.
Speaker 2: Nobody should have this much property. Where do they get off saying that?
Speaker 11: I don't understand.
Speaker 27: They said it, and they were jealous, and then three days later they came in and condemned the.
Speaker 2: Property, condemned it. Yeah, well, they negotiated with vern right, they paid him for it.
Speaker 13: Three years.
Speaker 27: He fought it and when he got out of it, there wasn't much left.
Speaker 2: Do you think your dad thought he would win that fight or was he just fighting to fight?
Speaker 7: Well, he was fighting a fight.
Speaker 10: He thought he could win it.
Speaker 27: I mean, it's an Indian burial grounds up on the hills, so yeah, you know, so he wasn't developing that part of it.
Speaker 10: They took it.
Speaker 2: They took it. We remember seeing the House and the Wrestler nineteen seventy four of the movie Yep. And there's a lot of scenes in there. Jae, my colleague here was wondering as we walked on the inside, like if we could remember, imagine what are those scenes took place? Did you have a question some of them?
Speaker 12: I mean, because we were fortunate to go in to the house.
Speaker 27: My house here, when you walked in there was a fireplace.
Speaker 10: Yes, and they got out about like this.
Speaker 27: Yeah, it was six feet he had us and we were training. We had to cut logs six feet long and he could walk in and put.
Speaker 2: Them into them, walk right into the That doesn't look like that right now they.
Speaker 12: Destroyed, did they?
Speaker 16: They still got like the It looked like it was a sitting area with a fireplace that looked like it had one of those kind of period not at the time, but the sunken floors where you could kind of sit around with the fireplace and stuff.
Speaker 12: Just based on that and said gorgeous.
Speaker 10: In the Lord and it was beautiful.
Speaker 27: But like I said, you know, but it was it was a bad deal for the whole family. We had a lot right next door to three acres.
Speaker 10: There were three acre.
Speaker 2: Lots on the lake, okay, and my wife at that time, our kids were.
Speaker 10: Just going to starting to school and would have been a.
Speaker 27: Long drive for him, and she wouldn't move off really, so we did. We had the plans set up there. Had the wet had started going, it might have made it a little more difficult for him. You know, eminent domain, they can do what they want.
Speaker 2: Well, when you first walk in, now they had the office and everything. But when you would have first walked in, when when your dad lived there and you lived there, what would you have seen?
Speaker 15: It?
Speaker 2: Was it a living walk in you.
Speaker 27: Look to the right, that's you could see that living room area and that was the big fireplace.
Speaker 2: Oh, I understand.
Speaker 27: Then he had a he had an office upstairs, and the bedrooms upstairs and bedan stacks steps.
Speaker 14: So wow, that's quite what about the wrestler the movie did about the movie? So I find the movie fascinating. I find the making of it absolutely fascinating. But the one guy, I mean, I know, he was a he was a vaudeville guy and kind of did a bunch of stuff in Ohio. The writer Eugene Gump, Do you have any recollection of him, like your dad working with him on creating.
Speaker 12: The script for the movie.
Speaker 14: You know, I know, remember that name, no worries it all Listen, that's the only movie you ever wrote. So I'm like, I'm just curious.
Speaker 10: Like remember the names.
Speaker 27: Uh, you know he had in there with him and sure you know ed him became really good buddy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there were a lot of fun begin There.
Speaker 14: Was a there was a funny article years later in San Francisco where I think it was you and your dad and Hulk were all kind of They were You're in San Francisco and you get spotted with that assner in like at a newstand or something like that, and you're walking.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a great it's a great Yeah, it's so funny.
Speaker 7: Ed was he was just a regular guy.
Speaker 10: He was really a good guy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The barn in Chanhassen where Casro and everyone got trained, is that gone?
Speaker 10: We all trained there?
Speaker 27: No, I don't know if it's still there because he sold that property in that but the other property, yeah, it was two stories. The upstairs was uh of the barn was it was an old barn. There was a haylost. They had no hand in it, and it had a ring set up and that's a big train. Windows there was no windows.
Speaker 7: There was windows, but no.
Speaker 27: Glass and then downstairs it's where the horses were, and then there there was a corral out there that they had that.
Speaker 10: All the manure was in.
Speaker 27: We convinced Rick Claire when we were training that the only way you're going to make it through this thing is, you know, at the end, we have to dive out that window and land in the manure.
Speaker 7: Flaire quit.
Speaker 2: His as got him back.
Speaker 27: I can't do it the last day, versts what what is wrong with you?
Speaker 10: Flaire?
Speaker 27: I can't do it.
Speaker 13: I can't do it.
Speaker 2: What do you mean you can't do it?
Speaker 27: You got all this great training, you're you're ready to go. I can't dive out that window. Dive out the window and they looked over us and then he went along with it. Well, you might have to ring.
Speaker 2: That's amazing with that crew of guys. You know, Verne had the arrangement where he got he broke you in and then he got a percentage. Some guys have talked about, yeah, I want what about that? You got ninety percent? Went right? He got nothing? Really nothing? Oh, I've heard that a few times. I don't know if I.
Speaker 27: Don't know, you get it. There's a lot of bullshit and professional you're not getting this, but that's true.
Speaker 7: And no, he never took any money from anybody.
Speaker 2: He didn't know.
Speaker 27: He trained one hundred and forty four wrestlers and maybe two percent then make it the main.
Speaker 12: Event of them.
Speaker 10: Yeah, nobody trained more than that.
Speaker 27: The other ones were Stu Hart and he trained a lot of people did and it was a tough camp. Burns was tough. We were six hours a day, six days a week, and we went from end of September until.
Speaker 7: March.
Speaker 2: Did Verne want you to have the belt the world title at any point?
Speaker 27: If you would, if I'd have had it.
Speaker 2: Well, I heard you say you didn't think it was like the best fit. No, why didn't he want you to have it?
Speaker 13: Did think you think that any ideas?
Speaker 27: No, No, I think because it was his son and people you know, oh you only got that, you know, because he's the son.
Speaker 7: But it didn't bother me.
Speaker 27: No, Jim and I were a good tag team and you know, uh, we had elevated pretty quick. He usually it took guys five to ten years to make it. But he came out of Urns camp.
Speaker 10: You were ready to go.
Speaker 2: He made sure last subject to ask you about, is this whole Cogan. He came in season on Toba. What did Vernon you do to Halk? I mean to get him for hawk Ship.
Speaker 27: We made Hulk Hogan. I was wrestling and Madison Square Garden and Hulk was on the cart. I don't know if it's Shafe Stadium. You're on that show Madison Square Garden. He came in the locker room after his match and he was almost in tears, and so, what's the matter, big man?
Speaker 10: I can't make it?
Speaker 1: And I said, you can't make it.
Speaker 2: He was working with Andre. He was a big time deal that when we met. When I was a well Shae Stadium he wrestled.
Speaker 27: Him, but he it wasn't Schaf Stadium. This was in Madison Square Garden and the match he had earlier or after me, and he came in and he.
Speaker 1: Said, I said, what's the matter.
Speaker 10: He said, I can't make it?
Speaker 27: And I said, well, don't you come to the a w A you learn how your teacher ken? Hey you think I said, well yeah, and I said, tell me born about it. So I told my dad about it and I said he's gonna call yet. About a month later and said, I haven't heard any from this guy who is he, I said, well, he's got big potential. And uh, finally three months later he came in and called and brought him in. And what they did They put him in six man tag team matches with Jim and I so.
Speaker 10: He could learn it.
Speaker 2: Jerry welled it and.
Speaker 27: We only would get him in the ring when it when he would.
Speaker 2: Look good, right, the right moment, Yeah, the right moment. Seemed like Jerry Blackwell did a lot for him too, going up for those slams in the beginning when he first turned baby because he came in as a hill Hogan did.
Speaker 27: Yeah, not really, not really once once he came once he my dad heard the people and how they accepted him, said.
Speaker 10: He was he was in the wrong role, wrong role.
Speaker 2: Well, it's great for him to notice that, because Vince Senior never turned a baby face. What do you think it was?
Speaker 27: He didn't know, you know, No, Vince never trained anybody.
Speaker 12: I see what you mean. You know, he didn't know how to handle talent.
Speaker 18: You know.
Speaker 27: Uh, if you ever watched the Madison Square Garden card, there was only a few really good guys. Maybe the last two matches were really talented guys. The work right from the from the opening match to the end.
Speaker 7: They were all good, top talent.
Speaker 2: Why why did hulcan your dad have that skirmish where they were like, what is what started about?
Speaker 12: Sish?
Speaker 27: No, Hogan didn't win the title in uh just before Christmas, and he was all pissed off about it. And April was a huge month for the AWA.
Speaker 10: So we're going to have a return match with me.
Speaker 2: Brock winkled.
Speaker 10: Then hope you might have won the title then, I see.
Speaker 27: But he wanted it so bad and Vince promised me and get it. And for Vince to succeed and get start getting the territories torn apart, he needed a guy like Colgan.
Speaker 2: Of course he did.
Speaker 27: Hogan left and once he left, they all started going. He hit the aw a harder than anybody because we had all the talent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, unbelievable. So the whole crux of it, that's the whole story there, boy. Sorry, last one, CBS, Andre Hogan, you said you were negotiating to have Andrea and Hogan on CBS at one point. Am I remembering that right?
Speaker 12: Or on?
Speaker 2: Do remember that? Okay?
Speaker 10: I never heard of that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, you thought at some point you thought you might be able to get helped back after he went to Vince Junior. No he long gone, No, he was long gone.
Speaker 27: Oh it was.
Speaker 10: It was done.
Speaker 2: Real pleasure, great, Thank you so much for the time.
Speaker 12: Pleasure so much.
Speaker 4: Send me a check right.
Speaker 2: Anyway, He's fan.
Speaker 25: Wrestling podcast with Jack and and jpso a La fan wrestling podcast.
Speaker 2: All right, folks, if you can believe it, we are on the hollowed grounds. Boss. When we pulled into that parking lot and saw the exterior memories of the wrestler nineteen, it.
Speaker 12: Was like we're watching the wrestler again.
Speaker 2: I could see Burne coming out and greeting us in a card again, you know.
Speaker 12: Come on in, come on in, Hey everybody, how are you doing?
Speaker 28: Lamb chopped up?
Speaker 12: That's right? Oh man, So we are here. Mary's got the grill going.
Speaker 2: We are so fortunate that that Zach from the three of US Park District deemed us worthy of a tour today.
Speaker 12: So we're going to not only.
Speaker 2: Just ogel at the outside of the building, we're going to see what it became and understand the history of how this became a public amenity and how that intersects with Verne Zach. Thank you so much.
Speaker 10: Yeah, my pleasure. Are glad to be a part of this. So welcome to the Ganha House.
Speaker 2: I'm your house. Well, you were telling us that, you know, you do a lot of historical talks, but very rarely do people want to talk a lot about vern Yes, what.
Speaker 28: Is the broad sweep of the public interest?
Speaker 29: What do you usually talk about about this site?
Speaker 10: Well, it's sort of a mix, right, So, I mean you guys know this like with wrestling, where sometimes you talk to people and you're like okay, and then wrestling and they're like okay, whatever.
Speaker 2: But Zach's a fan.
Speaker 12: I'm a fan.
Speaker 10: I'm wrestling.
Speaker 14: I used to be a tour guide in Madison Square Garden and I had to pick and choose kind of when you're talking about wrestling. If I knew there were fans in there, I would talk a little more about it. But then all at times it's like just skip it all together, no one cares.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so we're here.
Speaker 10: It's Lake Minataka Regional Park is the name of the park that we're in. And I do like guided hikes and stuff through the park. And we talked about, you know, thousands of years of history that are here in this park. That's a lot of that, and of course vern Ganya is about ten fifteen years or so of that history, right, And so I'll get to that point like at the end of the tour about bvern Gania a lot. And then a lot of people don't want to talk about the wrestling part of it, maybe so much, but it's definitely like a local interest because he's a local guy, right, And so like you get people that this this house has this kind of like kind of mystery and kind of shades of scandal to it and stuff too, and so there's a lot of people that want to know more about burn Gania story and more about the house. And then especially because it's it's a it's a public place that you can like rent for like a meeting or a party or something like that, but it's not necessarily like a public building anymore. So you know, yeah, ninety nine times out of one hundred, if somebody just comes because they're interested in vern Gania in the house and they come here, they can't just enter the house and walk around and take a look because it's like a reservable space. It's also office space for some of our car staff, and so it's not just a publicly accessive a building where you can walk in front door and it is kind of walk through. It used to be that way when the part first open, and it was a history museum talking about the history. So it opened, Uh wish you know this is I think nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 2: It was the nineties.
Speaker 10: Part of what we're talking about with the Gania story too, is it's like all of this was kind of slow process of this ongoing thing.
Speaker 2: But I did want to get before we start walking and talking, you're you're just general sweep of the history of the park before Vernon. What should we know about where we're standing and what it meant, you know, like you said, hundreds of years before he built the house.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So the park is actually a lot bigger than people think. It's over three hundred acres now, I think, but so vern owned I think eighty eighty acres of what is now the park of eighty acres of like I think it's I want to say it's three hundred and.
Speaker 2: Ninety two or something. Wow.
Speaker 10: But so he was one of the landowners, and then there were others like the break Myers and Ed Paul's owned a big chunk. He was the inventor of the order track.
Speaker 2: Actually that's why it's called loaded because part.
Speaker 10: Of the Yeah, he was from I want to say Chaska.
Speaker 12: So right here at the Chanta side, but that's crazy.
Speaker 2: So he is the other gentleman you mentioned.
Speaker 10: And then it was the break Myers were a family that lived just kind of northwest of where we are right now, and they had like a historic building on their property.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so this land, I mean, obviously Lake Minnetaka has thousands years of history. There are burial mounds that are here in the park from Native people for thousands of years ago there. Yeah, So the city of Mound is because there were so many the mound building cultures built them primarily around lakes and rivers, the places that we often lay are dead to rest today, the tribal well people. It's like it's more of an archaeological term for like mountain builders, that people who were building.
Speaker 2: Mountains, and you're saying, it's so they got bread done for years, just fought the sun. With the announcers being from Mound, yeah, Minnesota. And I never understood that because I thought he lived here and I don't even know what Mound was.
Speaker 10: That makes sense, Yeah, yeah, yeah, so they built burial mounds and other just kind of like effigy mounds and things, but like around lakes and rivers. So like Lake Minnetaka has been such an important place to Native people for thousands of years that if you look like a map of those burial mounds in Minnesota, there's like this big ring around Lake Minnetaka because there's tons of burial mounds around like Minettauka, including here in the park, and so that's where Mountain Gota states I think from that. But so there's also archaeological evidence of like Dakota era like camp sites here in the park that this was a place that Dakota people would move to seasonally, not necessarily maybe like right here in the park, but like like Benataka in general, including Chief Shock Pays Village which is now in the city of Shakpy, Minnesota. This was a place that they would come to do their maple sugaring in the spring. That they had like these big sugar maple trees here along the lake, and so they come here and tap the trees and make maple sugar. And so it's been kind of a cross through point for a long time.
Speaker 29: It has been a Tanka term for a tribe or where Tanka come from.
Speaker 12: This is where you go from to We're from New England.
Speaker 28: So we've had a ton of yah, you know, tribal names for town.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 10: This is one thing I was really excited about for this too. Is like so often I'm talking to like locals where they already know like if I place names like yeah, I know that, and so it's like, oh, this is gonna be fun because so Minnetonka is like a like a more like anglicized term for a Dakota word, which is like many a tomphill, which means like big water, grape water. It's the largest lake in the metro area I think, which is I don't I can give you the number. It's the ninth I think largest lake in Minnesota. So we have bigger ones out of it.
Speaker 2: And I was blown away. Yeah, I don't know. I just pature more of a pondish kind of you know, like you can see all ends of it. Yeah, well, will take at the it's.
Speaker 14: Like weird shape, like yeah, right, it's it's it's pretty incredibly like laid out honestly, the way that it naturally is.
Speaker 10: It's wild formed by the glaciers like ten thousand years ago, as the glaciers melted and receded, and they kind of, you know, they when they advanced through the kind of carved the area flat a little bit, and then when they melted, they you know, dropped chunks of ice that created these depressions. And so there must have been like all these chunks of ice kind of here that kind of blow apart and created all these little connected bays. And some of them are like actually separate lakes that have been connected. Now dretch them out and kind of connect them because everyone.
Speaker 12: Wants to be on Lake Benettaka Yeah, yeah, including Yeah.
Speaker 10: So here it's like the southwest side of Lake Mantana, so in what we call it the upper Lake, and then we're actually looking out we can see the lake here. Yeah, so this is yeah, locked up over the up Let's see ken Zach figure out how to open this.
Speaker 28: We go, all right, Jack, Yeah, so a little.
Speaker 10: Uh so we're looking out here at the lake and then over this way we'd be smith Poun Bay it's called, and then up that way you get closer to like Priests Bay and there's Hearts Grabble Point. This is an island, right across over here called Crane Island, and there's three of us. Park District has an island that we own. It's a public park, while we Tasso Island is right over here. So we're on like the southwest side of Lake Minetaka and what's called the Upper Lake near smith Town.
Speaker 12: Bay, Okay.
Speaker 2: Would this have been to the degree you would know this like when Verne would step out on because we've seen pictures of him stepping out out of the lake. Like there's a scene in the rest of where he's actually bench pressing right what dantage point do you think that would be relative to the house if you could.
Speaker 7: I can't remember that exact scene. I remember it a little bit, but when.
Speaker 12: There I think it was. I think it was kind of where was the barn? Do you know where the barn was? Elsewhere?
Speaker 10: A couple of things he had, like there's like kind of I think maybe three uh, maybe I fell in misconceptions and like one of them is that like his training facility with the barn where like Rick Flair talks about the barn with the horse barn with the ring in it and it was cold and they would run around the lake.
Speaker 7: That was a different property, so he had there today, only.
Speaker 12: I feel like in the movie that like he's near another there is a.
Speaker 2: Barn on this property.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, so there is still well, right, But that makes it confusing because there there is still his horse barn here on this property because he had horses and a horse barn, but the main training facility that he had his wrestling camp at was at a different property. And that's like I mean, it's in Chanhassen on the edge of Eden Prairie, so it's.
Speaker 7: About maybe fifteen miles away.
Speaker 10: And so that that's something that those two get connected a lot where because there's so there's similar properties in many ways, and people through.
Speaker 2: You know, Minnesota and Iowa, how many barns look like that barn.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it turns out that there's nothing distinct to our I having never been here, Yeah, it looks like a one of a kind barn.
Speaker 10: But everybody, yeah, especially like in Minnesota, you're like, that's that's every every person's. And I've tried, like I haven't researched that property like a lot, but I've tried.
Speaker 7: Like, oh is that barn still there?
Speaker 10: And you look around it's all a housing development now, and so none of it's left. And and those houses are all built in the nineties and that next to Burns story kind of with this property too.
Speaker 14: But the barn, I think I feel like in my mind that when we that scene, he's by the barn that's on the property. Yes, And so I don't know where I'm gonna say, wherever the barn is would be where kind.
Speaker 12: Of I imagine that scene takes place to that barn, the barn that was on the prop on this property property, Oh, that would be.
Speaker 10: It's kind of up by the swim pond. It's it's a walk up the hills. So we can go look at it later for sure. I don't know if you can see it might be a different barn.
Speaker 12: We'll look at it, Okay, I could be. I could be completely so.
Speaker 10: The one that here looks very much like like a horse stable, like it's it's purely like a horse barn rather than we're looking for.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think so again, I could be. It could just be in my imagination for all I know.
Speaker 10: Here like whether he was living here or is this probably exactly? I bet he had it way more clear to have a good view of the lady and and you know, Mary was like a really great gardener and had all these gardens looking fantastic.
Speaker 12: Is that where the gardens that she had here or where.
Speaker 10: She had gone into here all and everything? And so we keep up like, you know, some of the guarding, not to the extent that Mary would have done it.
Speaker 12: But no, course not.
Speaker 2: Let's let's take it inside.
Speaker 29: Yeah, sure, any of using.
Speaker 10: Probably not.
Speaker 2: I'm that's fine.
Speaker 10: So yeah, we're here. We kind of came in like the front vegetable.
Speaker 29: Or would have been this front door.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and so it's the front door. Hardly ever gets used anymore because it's if everyone comes in the garage side doors and stuff. But so you can definitely sell it. It's been renovated quite a bit. This is not the way it looked when Vernon's here, as it became a public building for again for the museum at the beginning and then later. Now it's kind of like a wind foot facility, you know, so it's very much like a building now with this carpet I don't think would be something that Vernon Mary would have chosen on the walls, but yeah, you can still see a lot of the things that are originally like this. Seeing it'll walk through some of the other rooms to elevator has been added, so we had to make that the building more like eighty as possible. Sure, I think Vernon had like a lot of like steps and stuff built into the house where you can see what when we go into kind of like the like the living room, it's gonna feel like the ceiling is really close to you because I think it was like steps down like this conversation fit style. You know, Oh, I built into Seva conversation fit.
Speaker 29: I think this conversation fit.
Speaker 10: Ye.
Speaker 14: My wife's very into uh, like she loves mid century modern stuff, so that kind of stuff, Like she loves that kind of stuff.
Speaker 10: I've seen some pictures of what I think is the house when Vernon went here, Like there's some like outside pictures, but there's a few like pictures like Vernon his house and you look at it. A yeah, I'm trying to figure out. It's hard to even tell like what roomy.
Speaker 14: Is in right, yeah, but looks very good for well yeah, like even what like this second floor balcony was this original?
Speaker 12: Was this ad was original?
Speaker 8: Wow?
Speaker 2: Extra coming?
Speaker 12: Like I guess that's true.
Speaker 14: I mean, to the best of your knowledge, how how was this laid out like in terms of this is it's kind of a unique space as it is, I think is almost kind of the same.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 10: And so the basement had like I think a lot of the entertaining stuff, like a pop table, and he had like a den maybe where the bathrooms are.
Speaker 12: There, so you don't have the wet bar anymore that he used to have downstairs in the basement.
Speaker 10: I think I saw something in like the in the records where there was a back and forth over when the land transferred from vern to the Park district. And I think, you know, like when you sell the house, like all the things that are like built in are supposed to like come up with the house. Yeah, And then I think that there was like like a little bit of like negotiation over like him like trying to like take the bar out and stuff the value like that's technically supposed to stay. There's something about that that's true.
Speaker 14: And a lot of a lot of things where you know, like when you even sell Holt we when we sold our our our house in New Jersey, you know, we forgot to list we had installed a uh with the bed kind of bed that comes think of a Murphy bad, thank you. We had installed the Murphy bed and we forgot to list it as what things we wanted to take, so we had to leave it. We spend like a thousand dollars on this Murphy bed, and we were forced to keep it, like we're forced to leave it there to the people who were who we were selling to because we didn't know exactly exactly unless you claim it, so we moved it.
Speaker 10: This is just kind of like elevator and stuff over here, a kind of utilities. We go over here.
Speaker 28: Yeah, these are the restrooms ability over here.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think this is where the den was. There's a picture where he's like on the step of a den. I think there's like a step down into like a den a bathroom.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So again obviously these bathrooms are very different than what like, of course the Dunes would have had, but you know, installed this bathroom and then the garage is out through this door and then this kind of split bear we go off the stairs to.
Speaker 14: Oh my gosh, yes, was this I mean obviously not this exact like design here, but was this is this like the original staircase that would come up here or it's the location of it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so you can imagine this is like a nice den with an awesome view right in here.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and this is the this is the the wrap around.
Speaker 27: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So it's been like renovated, so it's not like all the original board stuff, right, it's a pretty original style to the guy. That's what they had here.
Speaker 12: That's wild, Anama, look at that.
Speaker 10: And you can see here so there's the it's a like a kind of a mock tutor building.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So you can see the brick work here, which I loved. It's it's called like fairy tale style.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 10: You look, it's like all this kind of moves it like the brickston't all line up. And it's got some fieldstone in it too. And again I don't I haven't seen anything about like the exact like architect they used or anything, but the guys had the home built especially like the way that they wanted it, right. And then you see then the stuck go over here on this side, and the kind of the mock tutor ryan beings over there.
Speaker 28: Thank you, I love you.
Speaker 12: That's just wild.
Speaker 10: And then as they made the changes, had to modernize the building and do accessibility and stuff. When they added the elevator, it's it's a brick, so it kind of matches.
Speaker 7: But I really wish they had done the same.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah, probably probably costs.
Speaker 7: Three times as much to pay a contractor to build this, so it's more.
Speaker 10: I mean, elevators are expensively going, so I get why they did it, But it's part of these like like just ruins it looking at the.
Speaker 2: It's good for us. It's good because it lets us.
Speaker 13: Know what period.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 14: It's funny in the in the book it's called it a two story house.
Speaker 12: That is all right house. It looks like there's a whole Yeah, there's three levels, the three levels, but like the book calls it a two story house.
Speaker 7: There was a burn book that came out, Yeah, just came out.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I read like a little bit of it.
Speaker 2: Have a chapter about the house.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that's how we're a lot of the curiosity comes from, honestly, is the work. Who did pulling in.
Speaker 12: All the other that was I mean every day.
Speaker 2: Exactly the rope probably where's the VG imagine would that's a beautiful day Mary lamps?
Speaker 12: Because there's a scene in while the boys over.
Speaker 14: Well, the boys over all right, the guys training coming well and uh and uh and and Brinzel said it. We interviewed, we read Jim Brinzell and he talked about like she made great lamb chops and it was that was a lamb chopsta. Yeah, Zach, what's your wrestling fan of history?
Speaker 19: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did you go to matches growing up.
Speaker 7: Or like, uh, not much?
Speaker 10: I mean my dad was a big wrestling fan, and so you know I grew up in like the Attitude era, right, Okay, So so watching I was always.
Speaker 7: Like a w w F guy.
Speaker 10: Watched some w CW, but I was a w w F guy and then been watching ever since. Had times where I kind of like watched it less or didn't see it in his mind.
Speaker 2: But but were you're aware as an attitude or a kid of Vern or was Vern like ancient history.
Speaker 10: Where yeah, my dad would talk about aw A like so like he went to aw A matches and would watch it on TV, so we like I knew, Yeah, a lot of the a w A wrestlers even though I never saw them.
Speaker 2: Didn't tell What did you tell you about Vern? What were you what was your pressure if anything?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 10: I think he just always looked up to him, and uh, there's that thing or so one thing. Again, I've learned a lot more about vern like more recently and than when I was a kid, of course and everything, but like one thing that I started to appreciate his man I'm looking like looking at his whole life was like man, Vern is like modern day folk hero in so many ways. And I think that wrestling fandom is especially true in that of like seeing Vernon's like this folk hero of this like man who went up against you know, the machine, right of like a John Henry story almost kind of right, And.
Speaker 2: It's it's interesting to us as fans, you know, who are for the West, to realize that generational peal that he had, Like vern was somebody like even if you thought wrestling was phony blooney, vern had a because of his legitimate amatereprenantiles, because of his his position in the community. Like they talk in the book about how he would have high level the high society at this thing for parties, right, yea, the most prominent politicians came to kiss the ring to some degree, and even though he was gonna a phony wrestler, he was taken way more seriously than most wrestlers.
Speaker 10: And giving back into like the local like actual like like wrestling programs at the high schools and stuff. He was always doing fundraisers and so I think just super active in the community, which helps with that rather than just people would always have famous guy TV you never seen or something.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, I understand. He would always have the top high school wrestlers in the state actually come on the Pro Wrestling TV show to get interview these kids, these top collegiate kids. He was always so connected to that. Any Graham did the same thing down in Florida. But it was a way to make him be about more than just you know, fleecing people for fake fights. It was like, yeah, he was a guy that kept wrestling alive and vibrant of the who can probably head back in again, that's not another staircase, I must.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's right exactly.
Speaker 10: So here's like a little kitchen that's been added like the dining room over here, and this is.
Speaker 13: A wow.
Speaker 12: Ho lord, this is yeah where.
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 12: The firefights always going, That's unelievable.
Speaker 29: It's in the wrestler every.
Speaker 12: Scene, there's a fireplace. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love the.
Speaker 10: Support games.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 12: This is definitely I mean almost looks like a like a like a Disneyland. Uh like facade. That's unbelievable.
Speaker 24: Just it's just.
Speaker 12: I know, right, it gives you that limited access.
Speaker 30: Yeah, it made it a movie trivia thing. Didn't read that movie by anybody. This was a dining room, Yeah, dining room. The table we still had the un brown yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 10: I use this room more than any others. Like I teach like a lot of summer camps here at the park and stuff, and so this is like our base for the summer camps. And so we do what I'm talking about, like the history of Crane Island and the history of the park. And then I'll always tell them a little bit about burning guy. Yeah that's you know, every summer camp you get like one kid that's like into wrestling.
Speaker 29: Who's your favorite?
Speaker 10: Yeah, the original closet, Yeah, I think this was for storing firewood, or at least designed to be that. So it's it's a gas fireplace. I don't I think maybe that was installed later. Yeah time.
Speaker 14: Yeah, he's going into the forest and getting wood himself, carrying back trees, carrying back look at that.
Speaker 12: Look at that. Oh my god, that's where you watch tape watch film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, because the story makes you think that it was essentially like torn down right from Afar. I honestly did not know until I wasn't confident until I made contact with you that this actually still stood let alone.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it looked on the outside exactly right.
Speaker 2: I was like, we're gonna, we're gonna, we're gonna do a thing where we're standing where it was, but it's not going to.
Speaker 12: I actually really had no idea that it was still standing until you.
Speaker 14: Until we got here, I was like, I I I always in my mind and the times that we've talked about a w A and done shows on the a w A that it was completely demolished and that there was nothing here from it and whatever. Like I actually imagined this was the park, like the actual park was on the house, not that the building was here.
Speaker 12: So this is this is incredibly down.
Speaker 10: The hill and you're like, it's not going to be a house here. I don't know what you're time right right that I missed the boat ram.
Speaker 14: I'm like expectingly like a boat house and I'm not expecting the house.
Speaker 10: I'm looking feels really low and so again I think this is where you kind of stepped down in that kind.
Speaker 12: Of kind of right right with the fireplace for sure.
Speaker 10: Because even this is because of how low that like up off the ground right.
Speaker 14: Fer that raised there, Oh my yeah, and the windows to all of that. Yeah, totally, that makes total sense. I would have kept that when renoventing the place, just for the sake of it. That's such a cool I know.
Speaker 10: I've heard stories about like, oh and then it's lower it here because Verne had a ring installed in this. I was like, I don't think so, Like that's why he had the barn.
Speaker 14: Yeah place, Yeah, everyone had that. I mean especially it was early seventies. He made it so there's still the there's still the influence of the sixties. So of course that that that's sunken. Yeah, he wouldn't have a ring floor. He certainly, I wouldn't doubt to see. Imagine you imagine a couple of people like does he and taking somebody down fireplace, people are drinking around.
Speaker 12: I love it.
Speaker 10: He's the hope. They hosted so many parties here. Yeah, And I think it's a mix of like again those kind of more high society like we're we're hosting and Mary's making lamb chops and like those kind of things. But then also imagine they had plenty of late nights and stuff the wrestlers and used to get into So put your wrestlers in the room, you what they after a couple of drinks, they kind of rolled around on.
Speaker 12: This floor and a little bit, I am. I imagine the politicians are like, I could take you, I can take it. Let's go at it right now. There a couple of Brandy's in chief offended.
Speaker 28: I'm sure under the Giant walked around.
Speaker 12: In here, duck around.
Speaker 10: He does the Hogan impression that it's.
Speaker 14: Really you're still doing this after having listened.
Speaker 2: But Hogan himself, I mean, you know, Hogan says it's kind of it's kind of myth. But he says in his book that Verne wanted to set him up with one of his daughters. Yeah, and so I can imagine, you know, attempted courtships here. Alright, Terry, what's you come on in? Come one?
Speaker 12: Single? Very single? Yeah?
Speaker 10: Absolutely, So this is so this is all the space that kind of you can rent. So if you're gonna have like a meeting or so, you can reserve it on the website.
Speaker 2: Did you do a party for podcast listeners?
Speaker 12: We could yeah, absolutely, I don't.
Speaker 2: Think this is the last time we're going to see the.
Speaker 10: Home stay upstairs. So this is where we get into office space. And so this is still like an office building for the staff who worked here, kind of overseeing the swim pond. The playground.
Speaker 9: Version of the.
Speaker 10: Lights on the view of here is fantastic. So this is where we get into Now, what was.
Speaker 12: The bedroom on the floor, So this this was this was the bedroom.
Speaker 10: Yep, it's so just modern offices right now, like there over the lake.
Speaker 14: Well I imagine too that there was I mean, it looks like there was a balcony. So I wonder if they added on the step out.
Speaker 10: Here or this might have been actually something we at it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so I mean this that's the same unless you guys added this to copy the design. But to me, this seems like there was a little place where he could step out. I mean, listen, if I was designing my own house on this property, that's what.
Speaker 12: I would do. I would have an adjacent balcony just for me.
Speaker 10: Here's where you drink your coffee. That's right. But wow, this original to the house.
Speaker 12: Oh got some look at that. That's absolutely originause.
Speaker 10: Oh question, So this was referred to as Verne's golden sing.
Speaker 12: Look at I mean, look at that. I mean that's incredible. And that's again it's not that same vintage.
Speaker 10: And then the walk in closet that I'm sure he said he had it built for Mary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, What do you know about Mary?
Speaker 25: Like?
Speaker 2: Is that she's someone you've.
Speaker 10: Ever research though not enough? No, I don't know too much about her. But she was local.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I should dig into that.
Speaker 25: I do.
Speaker 12: I do a lot of I do well.
Speaker 14: I do a lot of for for our show. I do a lot of ancestry work to dig up on people, especifically with Hogan. We did a lot of stuff. I found evidence of Hogan's family dating back to Italy and but we but this is we did our main A A W A journey before I started doing that, So I should I should do an.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's right, there we go. I should do a I'll have to do a I'll do a vern Vern family tree. That'll be fun. But there's some stuff and that.
Speaker 28: That there's stuff you didn't know about it the family in that book.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Interesting, looks like like he was kind of a guiding voice, at least in the books.
Speaker 12: A little bit about'm srying to this would have been there on sweep into a thing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think the elevator got out of there for the district that year, just kind of for this like park cluster.
Speaker 12: Here do we know, like do you know where?
Speaker 14: Because obviously there's there's these now, well these are original walls. That's okay, these are so these are like original walls.
Speaker 12: So this was a separate room. And this was a separate room. So I'm trying to just trying to figure.
Speaker 28: Booking office to me, right, I know, Yeah, it's a booking.
Speaker 2: Office right next to the bedroom.
Speaker 12: Hey, I listen, Hey, if.
Speaker 28: You've seen the rest of there's a lot of depictures of the office, which.
Speaker 10: Was in what hotel is that in Minneapolis? It's right on the lake planning on checking that out too.
Speaker 2: That was just residential. Yeah, that was a hotel.
Speaker 10: Okay, So I think we've seen whole is right, and then these are just little offices.
Speaker 12: Yeah, there's there a basement. I think that is the basement that made okay, So.
Speaker 10: I think if it ever talks about the basement, I think it's oh so.
Speaker 14: I see so okay, So I see what you just because you and you're saying, right, there was a staircase, right or something. You're talking about stairs and something before to the top here, because this see definitely seems like obviously the main level of the house this area.
Speaker 31: And so yeah, I don't know exactly how like to what I said, they use like this rug door or but I think it's kind of confusing in that.
Speaker 10: I think because too that there's you can see there's kind of a walk up here, so like this is it's kind of built into the hill a little bit here, right, So this is also.
Speaker 12: Right right or right.
Speaker 10: That this is probably a kind of any.
Speaker 28: Sense, let's get into vern making and losing the house.
Speaker 29: That's a fascinating part of history.
Speaker 2: To us, as far as the the initiative to make this into a public amenity, to grant it to some degree what he had it was a park, right, I mean, ors this like truly all of his dominion and you.
Speaker 14: Couldn't be But I was one of the things that I was really curious about because is the best of your knowledge of it, if you know it all, who do you buy this property from?
Speaker 10: Oh, that's a great question. I can't remember for this exact parcel. Who we bought that from because again we're talking about the that's kind of a misconception of like there's the whole park did not belong to Vern, and so that happens at times too where they think about this whole park, all this land belonged to Vern. He owned I think eighty acres right, and so that you guys passed, there's like a historic house just up the hill, and you see like the ruins of that house. And so this land was all originally purchased. Again has this Dakota history going back, you know, one hundreds thousands of years. And then once all the land was surveyed in the eighteen fifties to be sold to settlers, a man named Joseph Schmid bought up all this land and the ruins of the house that he built in eighteen seventy six. You're still at the top of the hill, and that's where I talk about more than anything probably in this park, is his time on the land and the house that he built there on the field stones and the farming that he was doing. And his brother Benedict lived across the road. So I talked a lot about the Schmids and their long time here on the park, and then the Schmids sold the land part of it to a man named Ezura of Pavity. He had they started they had a summer cottage just kind of outside of the park boundary over here, and then started buying up land from Schmid and had like a nice kind of summer community like that out here. And then a man named Albert Loring started buying up all these parcels and so he a lot of people know, like local people know the name Louring because there's a park in Minneapolis named Louring Park, and that's named after Albert's father, Charles Luring, who he was the first they were big and involved in Minneapolis business. But then he was also the first board president for the Minneapolis Park Board, so he was involved in establishing a lot of parks and things like that, and so there's a park in Minneapolis named after his father. But Albert Mooring started buying up all this land around nineteen oh four so to build what we called like a gentleman's farm, like this big country estate with this massive farm, to try and make this like perfect operation, have the most impressive cows and then blue ribbons all that kind of stuff, and so he started buying up hundreds of acres on this land that we are now and then even north of us in what is now this neighborhood to make what he called the wood End Dairy Farm. So almost all this land was a part of that wood End Dairy Farm, and the Schmid house that's over there that became kind of like a rental unit for some of his farm workers could move in there. And then he built this awesome house on the other what's just outside the park over there, and had this magnificent farm that we can still see signs of today. You can find like the really nice fence posts out of the woods and stuff like that. And so this was a part of that property that started to get parceled out as he passed that on to his daughter and son in law. They took over the farm and they got outside. They kind of left the dairy farming a little bit and went into more of like all kinds of things, turkeys, pigs, bullfrogs. For a while in one of the ponds they were doing some of that stuff, and then they really got into like sporting dogs, like training like you know, shooting dogs and hunting dogs, and had an own candel operation and stuff, and then they started selling off some of the stuff.
Speaker 2: So his daughter was.
Speaker 10: His wife and daughter were into gardening, so they always had really nice greenhouses and really nice planting. So part of what is now the park again that wasn't owned by Vernie, it was the parcel next to his, was then purchased by there's a big flower and nursery company here locally called Bachman's, and they bought it up as like a second location because it had all these fantastic greenhouses and so they were using it as a nursery location.
Speaker 28: So this was not like some of like Lakeside in the Tree like leisure.
Speaker 2: This was like commercial almost. I mean you had dairy farms working a little bit. Yeah, it looked like I'm sure, but it seemed like it was owned by It wasn't like owned by but it was private individuals who owned it. It wasn't like owned by the city or a state or whatever.
Speaker 10: Private ownership.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So that's kind kind of yeah.
Speaker 10: And so the organization I work for Three Rivers Park District, I guess maybe should have started with this, but we're a regional parks system and I think you guys maybe have this out East more, we're like what's called a special park district, and so we're not we're bigger than the county, but we're smaller than like a state level park district. So we're the only one like it in Minnesota. Really, we're technically what the state legislature calls a special park district, and so we operate twenty seven thousand acres of parks and trails, which is a lot of lands. So it's it's a lot, and it's a huge park system when you think of like a regional park. So we're outside. We're in Hennepin County right now, so we have a lot of parks in Hennepin County, but we also have parks in Carver County and Scott County, and we operate more parks for Scott County. Anyways, big park system, and so a lot of what I do is telling the history of that land and across all of our parks, doing history hikes, talking about what used to be here and how it became a park and all that stuff. So this is one of my favorite parks to do that at because there's a ton of history right here in Lake Minnetonka. We're now called three of us Park District because all of our land is ultimately within the watersheds of these three rivers, the Mississippi, the Minnesota, and the Crow River is the third one. And but before that we had a couple of different names. But you'll see it as like Hennepin Parks system yep. So that's sometimes people still say that. You don't hear it as often anymore, but especially if you're talking about again it shows up in the burn Gania stuff because we were Hennepen parks.
Speaker 12: When all of this it was worded, it was like the.
Speaker 10: Suburban had been yeah, parks something like that. We did a couple of name changes I think landed on three rivers, which is a little catch here.
Speaker 12: And so.
Speaker 10: Our organization started back in the fifties when there was this you know, post World War to suburbanization boom happening in the area, and there was a dream for it like fifty years before that, even to like, hey, we should have this larger park system outside of Minneapolis, outside of Saint Paul, where we're preserving some of this land that will be developed quickly. And so then after the suburbanization boom of the nineteen fifties, they formed the Special Park District to start buying up large park reserves and set aside that land. So they started with like looking at park reserves that were like thousands of acres. So I right across the road is Carver Park Reserve. That's all those ones where it's three seven hundred acres of land in one big park reserve. So they started buying up big things like that, and after they accomplished that, they started looking more at like regional parks, like areas where we're not serving or where there's smaller parts of land that might be more expensive like on a per acre basis, but we still want to have a park there. And so they started doing that. And then at some point when they're looking at the map and they're like looking at, hey, where do people in this area want to do recreation? And where are we serving? And Lake Minnetonka just had almost no public land on it. It's it's it's so much all.
Speaker 2: Public and vern had a little private slice that you had to just get them out of the lafe, so to speak, to connect.
Speaker 10: Them, no other way around completely, so it's it's almost all privately owned. There's a few like boat launches and stuff that cities operate. I mean, the lake itself is public, right, you can launch your ride and go around. It's not a private lake. But there's so much private ownership of these parcels that get smaller and smaller all around the lake. And of course the property value of all this is going up, and so they wanted to have some kind of a park, a public park on Lake Minetaka. And so this is where it gets kind of complicated to where there's like, okay, in the Twin Cities, we have the met Council, it's called so that shows up in the book as well. So it's like, man, it's already even explained. This is part of like the story gets like kind of condensed down to make it a good story. You start talking about like okay, let me like walk you through these regional government most people are like, okay, just the heel.
Speaker 12: I don't get.
Speaker 10: So you look at these regional parks or regional government things. So there's the State of Minnesota, and then there's this appointed board that's the Met Council, and they operate a lot of the regional parks, or at least provide guidance to the regional park agencies like US on like the types of like the region. The idea is to look at it is on a regional level of so they plan things like like water treatment and sewage and stuff like that as well as parks to make sure like it's working as a region. And so we work with them on planning new parks and things like that. So our park plans we have to have a master plan that goes to them and all that kind of stuff. So there was a lot of different moving parts looking at we need to have a park on Lake Bennetaka in this area. So then you start looking at and this was beginning in like the early eighties maybe eighty one is when they first started looking at you needed to have something here. And then well, first then you start to look at water areas that aren't super developed because you don't want to buy, you know, twenty mansions and then demolish them to make a park that's a tiny little park. What you want big land that's not developed. And so this area was pretty undeveloped at that time again because it had been kept as a farm and most of the area west of us that was like that ed Paul's property was completely undeveloped, and so that stood out right away up like, he, here's where we could have a big park with frontage. Not just here, we're on Smithtown Bay right over here, but the park goes across the road over there and then has frontage on caled Halstead Bay, which is another bay over there, So we could have land on both of those bays. That's this contiguous park. It looked really good, and so then you start going through this long process of making offers. So they also had to, like, man, it's hard to explain. It's this like slow process of trying to like talk to landowners and make.
Speaker 2: An ardercause they have a right to be paid for the land. Yet there's also that that sort of leverage of the eminent name power.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and so most like the vast majority of park land that was acquired to become Crevers Park was from a willing seller where they say, hey, we're building a park in this area. We'd love to buy your farm and make it into a park. We're gonna pay, we'll have it to praise and pay you what it's worth. And then oh sure, let's get a lot. And the timing of it is kind of key to where at that time there were a lot of people that were leaving farming as operating a small farm became less and less viable, where they're like, oh am, I going to get out of this farm, and I don't have enough to buy on that makes a lot of sense. Coming to pay you what it's worth. This is my chance to get it. So exactly just started with.
Speaker 29: Every single one.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I thought, yes, but that's that makes a ton of sense, and that people were already looking for an exit plan.
Speaker 29: It's getting harder to make a big, big profit in farming.
Speaker 10: And so that's again we operate twenty seven thousand acres and this we're talking about eighty acres of that right now. So of course that isn't the story for her, Yeah, right, of course. And so then you look at these property owners, Hey, we're interested in making a park here. And so this is this long process of being in conversation because even before they're like making offers and stuff, they're doing community like town halls, like talking with me and you're like, do you want to park here? What would you want in the park? Things like that, and then you also have to talk to like the municipalities. You're talking to the city of Minnetrista and you're talking to the county, which is different than the parks, like the counterparks, they're separate.
Speaker 29: Everyone has to say.
Speaker 10: So you're talking through all of their standing in Minichesta, right, yeah, we're in Miniatrista, Minesola yea. And so the other thing again one of the misconceptions, I think that to tell a good story, it often is told as if like Verne just woke up one day and was having his coffee and then like some government suit came up and said, pack up your stuff, we're taking.
Speaker 12: The right in.
Speaker 10: It was this long, like years and years and years of conversations.
Speaker 29: With vern At first he seemed to be open to it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, right, he was open to it. And then but you know, I'll let you you tell it because I have a question.
Speaker 14: Well, I was just gonna say because it seemed like I I The part that really stood out to me is because we actually we read it, we recorded, we read.
Speaker 28: It, were getting brushed up.
Speaker 12: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 14: The part that really kind of was where that money for me is. Minitrista turned it down. But then the parks department, the three rivers kept pushing for it after it was turned down, and that to me then becomes like, oh, you're forcing this saw these people.
Speaker 12: But I don't know if that's correct or not, if that's how it happened.
Speaker 10: But a little bit when you look at so this is with there's an activity I did once where you looked at like, Okay, let's say you've got this one hundred acre piece of land that has been mostly undeveloped, say it's one house, and then the landowner is selling it to the city or whatever, and you go look at, okay, well, what are we going to do with this land? And we did an activity where there were almost been twenty of us in the room and everybody was giving like a different stakeholder card, right, and then you have to advocate for what you want to happen to that land. So you might get a card and say like you're you're like a you're a bird person, like you just want habitat for birds, and so I want a one hundred acre bird preserve. But then you have somebody else that they want a playground for the kids in neighborhood, so they want a playground, And then you have somebody else that's like, well, we need more housing in the area. We want to build housing. And then you have a common thing with like the city as of a government a lot of times is the tax ban, right, so like we want it to be build them all there, put more housing, like all these things they are going to pay into the task space because that's why I've ever wanted. And so you have all these kind of competing interests. And so I think that plays out in a way here too, where you have neighbors that are like living in this most of the wood End farm that we talked about had already been converted into housing development. So there's people living in a neighborhood over here, wood End Shores, I think it's called. And they didn't want a park right next to them because like, well, it's going to be loud, it's going to get there. Today's not a busy day because it's a rainy day, but like on a nice summer day, there's hundreds of people in this park, at the playground, at the swim pond at like and so they didn't want, you know, and then the boat launch getting really busy if people coming to lunch folks, So they didn't want all the noise in the traffic like a public park wouldrank. So that some of the neighbors opposed it because they didn't want this big regional park in the area. And then I think that the city again part of their thing is, you know, well, it's not in an area. It's right on the edge of Minatrista. So it's not like it's going to bring in a whole lot of business to like where the businesses are just to there's a.
Speaker 18: Ton of them.
Speaker 10: And then it's and you're talking about hundreds of acres. Then for the whole part that's not going to be paying into the tax base.
Speaker 14: The lakes in two counties, right, isn't is it like in two counties? I think it's all just within head Been County.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 10: It's we're real close. So across the road when you guys came to don think Highway seven h on your right is Hennapa County on the leftist carb County right edge.
Speaker 12: Okay, So that's okay.
Speaker 10: So I think the city was against it for that reason, but composed other parks like maybe not here, but maybe you go to somewhere else, you know that works better for us. And so there's this long negotiation process, and then you have h there were people on that Crane Island that we talked about earlier, that's all private homes over there. They were kind of worried about, like, oh, are they going to come for our island next? And so they formed like a historic districts to protect their homes over there. And so there was I think a lot of just kind of you know, swirling kind of anxieties about what this was bringing and what it meant. And at the same time, you these property owners that are kind of waiting to see like, well, what is this, what does this mean for me? And so again there were a lot of conversations even before like really formal conversations began. Vern definitely knew that because beginning in the eighties they were already like talking about it on a state level, and they had to pass like a state law to appropriate money because the state is going to pay actually for to build the park, so it wouldn't just fall on the taxpayers of like the Hennepin Park System to pay for it all. And so there was a lot of this kind of swirling of how do we make it happen. The met councils involved, the states involved, the county park systems involved, and so Verne was in the know, like so even there's in our records, I was, you know, preparing for this little bit, and there's a great memo in there from these kind of like our land acquisition guy at the time. And so he had I guess a voicemail from Vern and then he replied to he called him back, and then he wrote a memo about his phone conversation with Verne and they and what they talked about, and he talked him through. You know, Vern said, well, you.
Speaker 3: Know, what do I do now?
Speaker 10: Like you guys have kind of identified this, like what do we do? Like what do you think my land is worth? And so you know, you know, the employee said, you know, like, well, yeah, I could give you a ballpark, but like you you do an appraisal for that. I can give you a ballpark if I think it's maybe worth this much. But he said, like if you're if you're not interested in kind of going through the whole process and seeing what it might mean right now at this point, if you if you want to sell it, if you've got a will e seller, you should just sell it right now if you want and then you wouldn't have to deal with any of this and kind of that was the intent of that. And then he was asking about you know, vern Ast, you know what did jer invasion get for?
Speaker 12: So sell it property to somebody else and then they deal with the parks.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, because at that point there wasn't like the negotiations hadn't really started, so like was to sell.
Speaker 2: His property an interested buyer.
Speaker 29: If there's an interested buyer, you should sell it.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah yeah, so yeah, so if you want to sell the land, you just go ahead and sell it for what you think it's worth.
Speaker 2: When you don't have to worry, you do you infer from that that there was actually interest in vern from vern to sell it to another private individual.
Speaker 10: I think that there was always some interest because even as the process went on then because again we're talking about there's like this home. We spent a lot of time just right here. But then you know, there's the rest of the land too. But he had already worked with the developer to have that parceled out and become a housing development. So he was working on that too.
Speaker 29: That because he was involved in real estate descendent yea estate development.
Speaker 28: Yeah, And so he was going to put a housing development out there.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so like there's that, there's the home. But like and again, so a lot of times it gets like the whole park was his estate, but really it was a part of that, and even a big part of that. He already kind of had some at some point had some kind of dreams of making that housing development and making money off of that.
Speaker 2: Do you think making any maybe public anxiety about a housing development added momentum to create a park so that that didn't turn into a big you know, called the set field. I don't know what when the film it so now okay, not.
Speaker 10: That I've seen, because again I think a lot of the neighbors would have preferred that over a park having to.
Speaker 2: Houses there, because I liked the context until talking to you that a lot of this was private and sort of felt extremely busy anyway that it was right, It wasn't necessarily this oasis that he had to himself.
Speaker 10: So then an early step, right is that at some points, okay, we're making a park, We've got like a plan for what it's going to be, this is these are the parcels we want, and then somebody would make an offer to burn it like, hey, we think your land is worth this much, will make an offer. And I think so Eric Bischoff wrote something about like this the house at one point that I thought like summed it up perfectly, and like that verne Ganya was a fighter, right, like he fought Vince McMann, he fought the WWF, and then when it came to this, he was going to fight the government. He's gonna fight the system, right and so like he again was kind of a willing seller at the beginning, but then more and more, like other property owners weren't, and there was this kind of within like the neighbors and the city kind of being against it. I think he kind of joined on to that. I think maybe Mary was more against selling than Burne was. And then so at some point he started like fighting it a little bit right or a lot right, and so he did not take the first offer where you can go to the process just as a willing seller and sell your land to the park district and then you do negotiations of when you're moving out and all that.
Speaker 14: So it's kind of kind of funny because he's going along too, like he starts to fight as the AWA.
Speaker 12: Starts to die.
Speaker 14: Yes, you know, and starts to fight, but it's it's almost now it's a pride thing in a way.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you're looking at like the mid eighties were already like WWF is poaching his top talent and then okay, well now they're coming you know they're coming from So I think that's part of it too, is like, no, we're going to fight like that is just his mentality, right, yes, And and so I'm not saying he he should have fought it, That's not what I'm gonna say. But like what I would say is, in the end, in hindsight, he would have come out much better if he had, right, because he was given a really good offer to begin with, turned it down and said, no, we're going to go through this process, we're going to have it appraised, and and so then it he was given another counter offer. I want to say it was like one point two five million dollars, which doesn't seem like an incredible amount today, but in short nineteenth and time six or whatever, it's a lot of money too. And I think it's I think it's worth more than I think it's he turned it down, and so he turned it down worth oh millions millions. I think he could like five six, like I think a million. Scenes so he wanted it to be worth so much more, which makes sense, right, a million. And so then there was like another counteroffer, and and then he was offered like four point twenty five. And and then it when you you have an appraised but like it's a third party like now, and by a sting in your selling house, like they don't make It's not like just some government guy walking in there and saying I think it's worth this is what I'm gonna give you to take here to leave it. It goes to this whole lengthy appraisal process, which again for a property like this, it was this there's booklets in our records just about the they have to document how they made the appraisal, how you look at uh the uh what's the word I want for it? Even the you know comparison properties and stuff, right, yeah, And so they kind of split the parcel into two things, looking at like the home site and then the other site, which again he had already had some kind of plans to develop so they could be developed, so looking at the cost for that, and then in the end, I think it appraised for like three and a half million, and so like he was given other offers way more than it was appraised at. And then okay, well now it's been appraised to this, and then he says, well, no, I think it's worth more than that. Okay, well then you have it appraised like you can. So he, as far as I've seen, he never had it appraised himself to like have an actual like documented No, it appraised that five million, So he did.
Speaker 28: He didn't like what they said.
Speaker 12: So yeah, right, you just.
Speaker 10: Say no, I think it's worth that's a game. Yeah, such yeah, And so then so you go, okay, well here's this offer. Will you offer you what it's appraised that? But no, I'm going to fight it. And so then that's where you start to go through that eminent domain where they had to pass the law. I think it was an eighty eight with the buck Bill, where they where the state passed a law to allow for all this to happen, where you could do an eminent domain if the seller is not willing to negotiate on the actual cost of the house or the property. And so then you go into the eminent domain.
Speaker 14: But I guess, I guess here this is where it gets again and I get confused. The sellers don't want to shell the town's already turned it down.
Speaker 12: Why why is the why is.
Speaker 14: Had upen parks still pushing for it if it's been turned down so many times?
Speaker 10: And that's that's a fantastic question. And so that really comes down to the importance of parks. And that's for sure, right And so Minnesota, and like the Minneapolis metro area in particular, is known for having this amazing park system that we all enjoy as residents of the metro area. But it's also also this draw you know, from across the country of people coming here and part of the things they oh, we want to go walk through the parks here, and as a regional parks thing too, where people are moving, you know, not just like your neighborhood park, but like walking down to my kid at the playground, but going to a regional park for the day to have this whole experience. And so it's about investing in that importance of parks, which this area wasn't really served Lake Minnetaka right where they'd been identified years and years before of we need to have this public land on Lake Minetaka's people can come out to the lake, experience, enjoy it, launch their boat, swim. At that time, they wanted to have a beach on the lake. It's this isn't a great place to have a beach. They built the swim pond up at the top of the hill. But so it was that that need for a park here. So that's where you get, you know, you go back to the stakeholder thing of I want this, I want this, and so you get you know, neighborhood or the neighbors maybe just don't want to park because they don't want the noise. They'd rather just have it be another neighborhood. And yeah, and the city wants something that pays into the tax space. But then you have all these people too. They're like, we need more boat launches on the lake. There's only a few boat launches and they get so busy in the summer that you're waiting forever to launch your boat and get on on the lake. And there's not enough playgrounds. We need more areas to go swimming because the beaches are all busy, and we need more land for wildlife habitat. Most of the park is undeveloped, so we're on kind of like the developed side, but when you cross the road it's mostly undeveloped in capitula.
Speaker 28: Collective desire of all these people to park here.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and so that's his desire.
Speaker 29: To say, I don't want to sell out problems.
Speaker 14: But again I'm just but it's not just him though, it's other people who own property. It's the town has turned it down the past, and it's like, so they don't have the final say there's enough people. The laws changed, right, politics take people here for the to try to influence maybe and maybe you can. It's just felt like a sneaky move to like then all of a sudden by you know, past this law, the park bill, to like just make it happen, which I know, I get that's what happens, but it just like it feels so oh yeah, I know it isn't I'm I get very yeah, you put somebody in the corner, and I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 13: It's sneaky.
Speaker 10: I don't know if I agree with it, because it was it was voted on in like in public discussion at the state legislature. It was open to a vote of all the state legislators who are elected by the people, and so like in a way that's the way government works. It's yeah, yeah, it's not like it was just like that happened.
Speaker 14: And then yeah, I mean I didn't mean to imply that, but it just was like it's like, okay, fine, you're not gonna do this, and we're gonna just make you do it by you know, by having this bill then.
Speaker 10: And so again you look at, okay, all the stakeholders involved in their peace sleep. And so then of course the Gutnians are one of those like what do they want on this right? And so you know, there's the AWA documentary where you know, Greg is talking about how it happened and obviously has some hard feelings about the way that it happened and not being able to continue living in this house and enjoying this land.
Speaker 2: And yeah, one hundred.
Speaker 10: Percent get them, absolutely. But then there's also like you come out here on a nice summer day and you see dozens of families out of the swim pond, kids taking swimming lessons, learning to swim in the swim pond. And you go a little bit farther down and there's the playgroundhere, kids running and screaming and having a good time, and you see people practicing disc golf, You see people having a great day on the lake because they're launching their boat, walking their dogs through here. Including the neighbors who were against the park before but aren't really It seems I've never talked to what is against the park now They ended up saying like, actually, it's really great to have here. And so you see all the people enjoying this park, and you see like, okay, well now I get it. And so.
Speaker 2: Which the park could have existed as we know it today, but he still lived here, Like why did he have to vacate this considering the building still stands.
Speaker 10: That should have been the negotiations where at some point, like even in that same memo, he had talked about a lot of times what's called like a life estate where they say like, okay, could you make it into a park, So you can do this a couple of different ways, but like if it's just like one piece, you could say. This happens a lot with like parcels that are right next to an existing park where the part district has said we want to eventually one day make that parcel a part of the bigger park, like add it to it, and then so that you can purchase it, but give the persons called the life estates, you live the rest of your life in that house.
Speaker 12: On that property.
Speaker 10: And then why did that happen.
Speaker 24: In the park?
Speaker 10: And w Vernon asked about that that could happen, and I don't know exactly the specifics of I think partly it's a negotiation thing where if you are making the whole process easier and stuff, you're more likely to get that thing that you want. But as soon as you're fighting it tooth and nail and everything, then so they could have made maybe the whole park and then Verne's house here as a life estate. Part of its difficult because like this is that's a steep hill over there, and it's like the one way to get down to here. So like I thought he wanted the boat launch going right past the cars. I don't know if he maybe would have said like over there or something, but this was the shore is a big part of it, and this is his house is basically all the shore that he owed right here, right, And so that's maybe part of it is just kind of the the details when you get into like what would it be like to have this one private home right here.
Speaker 14: That's also part of the thinking Mike, he's got eighty acres, he could give most of that and then keep his house and whatever.
Speaker 10: But and again I think it comes down to what he had been maybe more opened to negotiating early on that maybe would have been. There was also another thing about how I think with one of the counter offers, was like, hey, and if you take this offer or something, And maybe it was when they were getting into features of the house or something, but at some point it was like, if you do this for us, we're going to put up a plaque about during Ghanya in the house. He didn't do the thing, so we don't have a plaque. I really do want to put up a plaque.
Speaker 28: This is what we're kind of doing one right now.
Speaker 29: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 28: What we're saying this is almost like indicative about the need for a plant.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 29: I want to come here and learn about it.
Speaker 10: I've said before, I want to put a bronze statue of burnt up at the swim pod. Oh there would the picture?
Speaker 2: Him say, yeah, well right, you know the picture.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so that would be awesome. That's that's that's the thing I really want is a broad statue of urn up at the swim Pop and.
Speaker 2: A Plat dedicated absolutely the first books says that at one point he actually.
Speaker 12: Do was pain, right, That's what I was want to ask next to that, Yeah, and.
Speaker 10: It had seen that I don't know that that that number didn't seem right. He said, like twenty five thousand a month a month I had seen even like in the records, like like checks that.
Speaker 12: So it was rent.
Speaker 10: Part of it was so once the once the deal was getting finalized and this was going to become a park and the guy is needed to move out, the process was still really slow, and so that they were staying here and then kind of paying rent because the process was already done, but then allowed to stay for a while and pay rent. And that number didn't quite look right to me. But I'm not gonna like totally worry.
Speaker 28: Why would he have to pay rent to the.
Speaker 10: Because at that point he didn't own it anymore. Yeah, but like they were gonna be like, okay, we're kicking you out. It was like he could have moved maybe. But this is another thing I would talk about, is the relocation process. We'll talk about that too. But then the other there was also the outbuildings like the barn, and so he kept a lot of stuff in the barn longer than like he really was supposed to say, like renegotiated like, Okay, we'll let you keep your stuff in the barn. And I think that was stuff. So I think that stuff was he was by that time, we're getting out into the nineties, really at it right, because it again really drawn out, so that that memo I talked about, he's like, what do I do while you're looking at this land that was eighty six and then it doesn't make go apark until the ninety so it's it's it's this drawn out thing. And I think at that time he's maybe also going through his bankruptcy stuff. So I think his bankruptcy case is settled in the fall of ninety three, and that earlier that year they're negotiating like, hey, can I keep my stuff in the barn? And I think that's his tools of the trade as he's going through bankruptcy. That's like ring gear that's on tapes, its desk tapes.
Speaker 4: It tapes.
Speaker 7: I think the restoring all of that.
Speaker 10: Stuff for the shows fascinating and didn't have another place to put it. As he's still trying to get that. You know, I can't when did he start the sumo thing? Was that ninety three?
Speaker 2: Was that ninety one? Yeah, he's trying to do an American Sumo Federation, so he's knowing it.
Speaker 10: So you know, he's struggling to make his business work at the same time and trying to keep on this stuff. It doesn't have another place to store it. He's got like his dock still here where they said that you got to get your dock out, but that you didn't have another place to put it, so they said, okay, we'll let you keep your dock there. So there were still things like that where the negotiating these little pieces after he had already even moved out, and so the rent I think is part of that too. There was also another house on the property. It was like a caretaker's home really, and so I don't know all the details about it, but there was a guy living in there, maybe a small family, I can't remember, but it was a small home right by where the barn is, and they were paying rent to Vernon Mary and I think we're like a caretaker for the property and for the horses and stuff, and so they were living there, and then that was a part of the process too where there, So they were negotiating with him as well, but Vern was the owner of the property. They're negotiating with Vern, and Verne wanted him to be able to keep living there, and it just didn't really make sense because you'd be like right at the swim pond, that you'd be like rice there. And so they the part district ended up agreeing that like to that they could move the building. So Vern and this other man paid to have the building moved I think to Mounder or no, I think it was nearby, like in the area, and moved the building. But then they were ack the reason that the move ran, like so they were building the park where the thing was still there. It had to come negotiate like, hey, we're putting up fences, now you need to move the house before the fences go in, and so tick and burn.
Speaker 28: So it is four million at the end.
Speaker 10: He got I don't know if I've ever actually seen whatever the final number was, the book says.
Speaker 12: The book says four point two million, that's what he got out.
Speaker 10: What year do you think that would be? So I would bet that he moved out maybe like ninety I can't remember exactly, but again, so then we.
Speaker 2: Were speculating like part of the reason maybe he gives up the fight, so to speak, to give up is the wrong word, but you know whatever, maybe it's the right work is that the NWA is now clearly not going concern you know, he's probably thinking like, yeah, let's we got sitting on four million dollars.
Speaker 14: Starts to make more sense, especially because especially because he owes, like the book says, he owes a million and a half and legal fees and other things and stuff, and so it's like, just take this money, and I think that they I think they say thank like eventually, like after I'll paying everything, Like they only had like three hundred grand out of that four point two.
Speaker 10: So the other piece of this too is like at that point, the fights weren't even done because when an eminent domain case like that happens, there's also there's a whole legal system for what's called relocation, and so then the park district is liable for like, okay, Verona, Mary, here's your house that's worth this much. We're going to pay you this for it. And we also then and I say, I wasn't around. Of course, the park district then would help to relocate you to a similar property. So they go through this thing like with real estate brokerage. So they locate I think it was like five, maybe seven, maybe even more, of similar homes in a similar area, some of them just down the road, very similar homes, similar prices, and say, here are the ones that are available right now. You could buy one of these and move to that and it would be like kind of the same experience of living in this hall. So you're not so they even help with the relocation to find another place in the area. So they gave them several postings of similar homes and allowed them to go view them, and I guess they were like really picky. We're like, oh, it doesn't have like the same barrow that we had before. That's what they needed to be exactly the same because the.
Speaker 14: Custom hall, the custom home, you know, that's how do you replace a custom home.
Speaker 10: But so other homes that were similar that were still on the lake and so they could still have their boat in their dock, and so they look at that and none of them were just right. But then also there was this back and forth because there's also like a relocation fee where there's like a difference in like Okay, here's this other similar home, but it's an extra you know, fifty thousand dollars. Then there would be a relocation fee that would pay essentially the difference, so to buy that one that's similar but maybe just a little bit more expensive. And then then I think started really gaming the value to try to get the most value out of the house and trying to try and do again that this house was more value. You know, I think there was. So there was a lot of back and forth about that.
Speaker 12: I have phrased this house myself and I'm gonna tell you.
Speaker 10: And so I think he said no to all the things. And then eventually I think it lived in like a town home and even Prairide and so like, so he was given like other homes that he could have moved into right then that were almost the same house, the same value.
Speaker 5: On the lake.
Speaker 10: So but again fighting tooth and nail and everything. So so again where I'm not I'm not saying that Verne shouldn't have fought like that. What I'm saying, what we know in hindsight is if he had just taken the very generous offer that he was given at the beginning, with the beginning, in the beginning, he would have come out much better than all the legal fees for all these fights.
Speaker 14: They it went to the state, he probably couldn't end up staying here, staying in the home. It couldn't have got well, they're saying to saying it was impossible because of this that what was it called.
Speaker 10: The life estate at least a possibility.
Speaker 11: So so that's where like.
Speaker 12: Again what we know, I don't negotiate with terrorists.
Speaker 2: And pressure black plot, I tole the this is wonderful, man. So so now we've got I can see it in ninety I can see it time period and you know the fight events he'd want selling the yeah, either a boring events.
Speaker 28: You know, he brought a suitcase again and he that's not that's nowhere near what.
Speaker 12: My company's worth.
Speaker 29: And then he ended up going.
Speaker 10: Bankrupt and even yeah, with through his bankruptcy. You know again, so when you go bankruptcy, were allowed to keep I think it's at the time, I don't know if it's changed, like seven thousand, five hundred dollars and tools of the trade. So that's again, if you're a plumber. You can keep your tools of the trades. Isn't this capsul be And so for him, he was arguing like, okay, well it's the ring, it's these desks, and again I think the things, all the things that were in the barn is separate through his bankruptcy proceedings, those all these things. And he's like, okay, and then the tapes, right.
Speaker 29: Like all these things that get my business, it takes to the show selling events anyway.
Speaker 10: Yeah, right, And so I guess I don't remember exactly how it was decided, but there was this back and forth where he said like, okay, all these things are worth less than seven thousand, five hundred dollars. And then the person going through like his bankruptcy estate, is like, I think these things are worth way more than see thousand, five hundred dollars. The tapes are working there, right, And so he was arguing, he was trying to again arguing that but no, no, this is all like this is worthless stuff. I wouldn't keep all this, but it's actually a valuable right, right. And so then I think the judge ended up deciding that like, okay, well we're going to allow the the executor of the estate to try and sell those things for what they're worth, and if it turns out to not be more than seven thousand, five hundred, then very can keep them. So I imagine it's sold or exactly how it happened.
Speaker 28: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 10: Maybe that's when Vince.
Speaker 29: Boston over tapes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was kind of hard to trace as far as if they passed intermediary between Verne and Vince. But yeah, that's when the documentary came. That's that's how he was negotiating at the time. Vince, we'll give you the Hall of Fame. We'll do a documentary about how wonderful you are if you just give the tapes just because they put out a DVD about that and make money, and then later on the network gave those things a second life and that they were able to present. They didn't do an Aaba's case, which blows our mind. But like World Class, who doubts, you know, weekly television every year there, the whole library was there. They didn't buy it with that intention because there wasn't a network when they bought it. They just bought it to get the DVD release out, to claim ownership of whatever ways they could monetize it. They had like twenty four to seven and other outlets at the time they could use. But yeah, that takes us right to the day. So can we see the barn and stuff with the porn. It looks like it's calming down out there a little bit, alright, So I hate to put.
Speaker 29: You I'm gonna really rete.
Speaker 12: Amazing. There was still stuff in the barn. He left stuff in the barn still. It was like locked up and we'll walk over there.
Speaker 10: But it's it's like the maintenance shop, so like that's the offices for the it's and then so it's connected right across from the swim pond. So yeah, it's it's just getting.
Speaker 2: Mon use that.
Speaker 28: All right.
Speaker 2: We're now in the car with our friend Zach from Free Rivers Park District because we want to see the barn on the property. Now, this is not the barn where Verne would have trained Iron Chic and Rich Flair and Jimbernzell and Sergeant Slaughter. That's in Chanhassen that's been redeveloped. You can't even really go see it. But he did have a barn on property, as we talked about, which I think is the barn you'll see in the wrestler. And then Zach has told us it's also the barn where Vern would have kept a lot of quote tools of the trade. After this the sale happened to the property, but he kept things like you know, the wrestling ring, the a toba, perhaps a video library, a lot of stuff in that barn and that still stands. But because it's pouring rain, we didn't go on foot.
Speaker 12: We're gonna drive over there.
Speaker 2: So you're along for the ride, and right, Zach is kind enough to join us as well, placing a lot of trust in us that. But we made it here from Mason City.
Speaker 14: From Mason City. Didn't know if we're ever going to skape Mason City after for a while. But I don't know if you've been out.
Speaker 2: There, buddy, but it's uh, it's a place it's.
Speaker 7: Never been to Mason City. It's a place I loves.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so you'll see, Like so when this first opened, it was I said, a museum, and all that stuff has been taken out. I think it just didn't really work as like a visitor center, partly just because of like the parking. There's just nowhere to right put like a good parking down here, and then the boat launches over here on the right. And they wanted to put a beach down here too, but just the shore isn't really right here to have a beach, and again there isn't parking down your seat have to park at the top of the hill and walk all the way down to the beach that's here.
Speaker 7: So that's why they ended up putting the swim pond in what direction?
Speaker 12: Take a left, Take your left, Okay, thank you.
Speaker 2: The sweeping few I didn't expect, like maybe because it's raining and there's fog, but I can't see the other side of them.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's because the fire. I guess you a little bit of that side. But it's it's all.
Speaker 2: I don't know why a pictures so much smaller.
Speaker 5: What do you call it?
Speaker 2: Horizon?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, the.
Speaker 12: Oh my god, whatever, it doesn't matter. I'm losing it. But like the it goes in in the bays, like their bays they're all, but there are a bunch of bays, like.
Speaker 2: It's all.
Speaker 10: On the other side.
Speaker 14: It's all these little again. It looks like the a W a bell. It looks like that belt all these bays and you know, maybe that was the inspiration.
Speaker 10: We figured that out. So then up here on the right, you'll see the ruins of that historic house. I was talking about that the first person that is Joseph Schmid. Yep, it'll be up here on the right, so or oh sorry, a little bit farther, yeah, yep.
Speaker 24: And then.
Speaker 7: So it's preserved as a like an archaeological.
Speaker 12: Architectures that come out here and look over there, Wow.
Speaker 2: Ancient Mayan like we're preserved.
Speaker 10: So we we're supposed to preserve it like in this state, we're not supposed to like rebuild it. So we're preserving it as a ruin. But we filled in the basement of.
Speaker 7: Stuff so you can walk around the.
Speaker 10: Foot What was that?
Speaker 12: What was that built?
Speaker 7: Eighteen seventy six.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 12: I didn't see that seriously looking for vern look looks seeking.
Speaker 10: And I've talked to people that had seen him out here after it became a park, that he would come out and walk the grounds and stuff and talk to him after it became a part.
Speaker 14: No kidding, So you come out trying to sneak back in the house, to try to sneak in, lock the door.
Speaker 7: Take a sink with him.
Speaker 12: I mean, I mean that to me is.
Speaker 14: I like, I think to my itself, like, wow, it's gonna be hard. You know, you built that house and it's still there. In a weird way, I would imagine, I would imagine that he would have wanted destroyed to like so that, you know, but now he's got, you know, other people in his house.
Speaker 2: Do you know if any consideration was ever given to that of leveling it.
Speaker 7: I don't think so.
Speaker 10: I think that the plan was always to use the building for some kind of public amenity, like okay, I understand. And so to our right here you can see there's a trail that'll go like under the road, and that goes to the bigger part of the park that is actually mostly undeveloped. So the area we're in is actually a small area of the entire park. Most of the park is over there, and a lot of people hardly ever see because it's just a couple of hiking trails and mostly undeveloped for wildlife habitat. And three of His uses what we call the eighty twenty rule that in general only twenty percent of our parks are developed for human use, and then eighty percent are left for wildlife habitat, oh natural space straight through here.
Speaker 2: We're actually really lucky it's so rainy because there's no one right we can we can roll slow and I feel like, I mean, I'm getting in anybody's way doing the silliness, you know, But it's wonderful.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: This is like we're gonna have so much more texture when we think about age. Oh, I know, I know, it's just it means so much more how swimming as far as like if a heavy rain, is the swim area off limits for a little while due.
Speaker 7: To like that, I think it's technically open.
Speaker 10: They've got I don't know if the lifeguards around their tower right now, but it's I know that they they've got.
Speaker 7: Staff scheduled for today. So it's always you guys want, I think swing through the concession standing get lunch. She can go get a hot dog or something. So here's the big playground here.
Speaker 10: It's sort of like nautical themes, like the steamboats on like Bannatonka. And then there's a picnic shelter back there, so that gets rented for a lot of.
Speaker 2: Like large groups have been here when Verne lived in the house Green.
Speaker 24: Uh.
Speaker 7: This actually we're kind of coming up to the road.
Speaker 10: Actually originally used to come through here, and uh, you got rerouted eventually, but so this was just kind of mostly undeveloped and I'd have like, hey, the pasture and stuff. So now so his horse barn is straight ahead. That's the horse bar right there. Ye, and so we might have to park in the lot. Let's see.
Speaker 7: If you guys pull in here.
Speaker 10: Okay, yeah, maintenance a lot. But I'm in my three years gear and they knew we were. So let's see if you can find a spot to pull up. There's kind of like parking spots right there. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Where do you see all the cars in their cars?
Speaker 24: It's awesome. So this was Verne's barn. You would have had to get in a car and drive over here.
Speaker 10: Probably is this the bar?
Speaker 14: And you were thinking no, don't well no, no, you're thinking of the I wonder if they if they if they shot it in different places and just cut it together.
Speaker 12: Was the other barn on the water? Was it near the water?
Speaker 7: It was near a lake, but not like right near lake.
Speaker 12: They might I bet I wonder if they did that, if they just treated it.
Speaker 7: So it's a maintenance shop today.
Speaker 10: So you can see there's this is where all the people who do the maintenance for not just this park, but some of the other parks nearby. But well, now that it's not in a shop and offices, this is also like the facilities for.
Speaker 7: The all this gear for maintaining the swim pods.
Speaker 12: This is where he would have kept the too, kept all the stuff.
Speaker 10: And then yeah, this is where I think that he had in the outbuilding out here where he had the tools of the trade that he was paying rent to keep his stuff in the bar.
Speaker 12: And it's it's the same size as it was yep. So okay, so it's a big it's a big space.
Speaker 2: What do you want to do?
Speaker 12: I mean, inside, is there any is it it's all renovated or is.
Speaker 7: It it's all renovated so it's not park.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I just want to see the outside to see if it was a vocative. Right, let's let's spare everybody and then get back to the house. But I like this.
Speaker 24: It's like a rolling tour.
Speaker 10: And then you want to when you get out of this gate, take them right, Okay, great, yeah, let us.
Speaker 24: Know where else we should go.
Speaker 2: Look at that.
Speaker 4: I mean that's he was here.
Speaker 12: You had horses came down and then he hid his shipping there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, pretty much, it's worthless stuff, very.
Speaker 12: Seven grand tops.
Speaker 10: And then kind of just straight in front of us through the woods there is where that caretaker's house was, and then that's been moved. And then if you kind of go around this corner here, we're a little below it. So it's hard to see, but we have this swim pond here and so it's got a sand bottom, but it's all chlorinated water.
Speaker 7: But so the water is from Lake Manataka up and chlorinated.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so it's like being at the beach, but it's chlorinated water, so it's without all the weeds and the fish smell and all that kind of stuff. And so it's incredibly popular for people that want to go to the beach. Kids, we should get so much.
Speaker 12: Would come tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Well this is the summer, but it's not hot enough. But yeah, we'd love to take a gip uh.
Speaker 10: And so this nice big flat spot here m Unders saying is this is where like the horse arena was the horse arena, so like so the horse barn was there, and this is where you go out and ride the fence.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's beautiful. I've never heard of is that a thing? A chlorinated water feature like that.
Speaker 7: We've got a couple of them through because I think they're becoming more popular.
Speaker 12: That I've never heard of that myself.
Speaker 10: It's just you get the benefits of the clarin into water without kind of you know, being on like the concrete pool setting and the way yep, you can go straight here. And so again we've kind of seen a small part of the park which again was mostly Burn's parcel here, but then north west of us was where like the break Virus had their property, so they they acquired the the creamery building from the Woodend Dairy Farm. Was this beautiful building where they would take the milk and cream and bottle it for shipping and stuff it. So it's this really awesome building that's been it was just so far gone that that was torn down maybe ten fifteen years ago and can't remember. But then most of the park is actually on the other side of that road.
Speaker 24: Uh.
Speaker 10: That again, the biggest part of that belongs to Ed Pauls.
Speaker 7: The adventure of the Nordic Track.
Speaker 12: That's a great piece of history. Does does Greg come by the house at all?
Speaker 7: I've never talked to him. I haven't seen him. I'd love to talk to Greg at some point.
Speaker 24: I know he's in he's in town at the convention at the US.
Speaker 2: They call it WUS.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I heard it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, there was a guy reached out to me from New Zealand that he's coming to town for SummerSlam and wanted to come and visit the house. Wow.
Speaker 14: Actually, the only asologize that at the point that we create these these incredible like you know, right, and.
Speaker 2: Then we get to go and discover if any it's anywhere, and get all excited with a little more a little.
Speaker 12: Bit, I would feeling that at some point I think that's.
Speaker 10: Great again where I you know, having seen the documentary and I couldn't I completely understand him having hard feelings of the course, but just being a wrestling band. And one thing again that I love doing about this job, particularly here, is just telling the history of the land, which in this park again it's it's the Schmids, and it's the the native people that have lived here for thousands of years, and it's Albert Waring in the Wooden Dairy Farm.
Speaker 7: But a chapter of this land story, of course, is for in Ghania and the Ghania family, and so I like that.
Speaker 2: Your interest in the statue.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so yeah, the swim pond. Have you imagine right there there with a plaque talking about him.
Speaker 2: We're on board, We're on board. They have a nice support Dan Gables statue at the Museum and Water that I think is right on the idea of what you're talking about.
Speaker 7: I mean, wrestlers make such great statues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, damn wasn't even a pro. So he wasn't even like this huge charismatic guy. I'm gonna go down to the boat launch. Is that drivable?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 24: Checkaftick on that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they're keeping a plot there.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's funny. We're just looking over here.
Speaker 10: We're thing.
Speaker 7: Don't look.
Speaker 12: Actually I was like, oh, maybe that's it. Maybe that's it.
Speaker 14: That's why he sat down the right right, So we're just like this. It was wild to think of this before the parking spaces and so this is all he would This is how he would have gotten down to his house.
Speaker 7: It's obviously been Was it paved?
Speaker 12: It was back then he would have been a paidro you know, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I imagine it was paved. Just be terrible for like a gravel driveway.
Speaker 2: So I imagine was there a deal where, like you know, snow plowing I was good looking next port handled collectively by the owners or.
Speaker 12: I don't know.
Speaker 10: I mean I think it was just his driveway so that he didn't really basically from when you enter the park all the way to hear was his driveway in a long driveway to get That's the other thing, is like it was really tucked.
Speaker 7: Back in here for being right on the lake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because if basically once you pass his house you come to an end, it's not you don't continue to circle the lake.
Speaker 24: This is it.
Speaker 2: It terminates. What do you launched his boats roughly around here.
Speaker 7: I don't know if he used this, I don't he had I think a dot closer to his house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the life it really is. Yeah, we were talking tact about how you know, vern is kind of you could easily make like a biopic about him as like a tragic figure, but somebody who like just clung to a way of life that like had passed by and wasn't like you know what I mean, he wasn't really ready to see that. The house serves as an example, not just.
Speaker 12: A day he stopped evolving at one point.
Speaker 24: That he could force things to his idea of how it should be.
Speaker 2: Just a certain point in the world stopped reciprocating right right, because the world does.
Speaker 12: The world does at some point driving and this is what you see.
Speaker 2: Causes here some of the boys just pulled out.
Speaker 12: Oh, just tremendous.
Speaker 2: Well, Zach, we want to thank you so much for hosting us. This is more than we could have ever hoped for. You're an incredible host, and we thank the three Rivers Park District as well for deeming us worthy of a very bizarre visit. But I have the feeling, by the time we circulate this many more will be interesting something similar that is true physics.
Speaker 12: This might have some visits this weekend for people when we.
Speaker 10: Do get people that kind of just walk through or you know, the kind of passed through because like, oh, is this the Gania house, And so I imagine, yeah, this weekend of the traffic will pick.
Speaker 2: Up a little bit more and hopefully if you guys are hoping for that, you'll get it.
Speaker 10: So thanks for having me on.
Speaker 7: It's been a pleasure, appreciate it. Glad to share the story.
Speaker 2: Preceding plays a production of the labs Entertainment Group. Its content is intended for private use only.
Speaker 3: We want