Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Firestorm erupts last night in Malibu, just shy of eleven PM, and the pictures are incredible. The video that has come out, the video we talked about from inside the Pepperdine Library.
Speaker 2: Great job by firefighters.
Speaker 1: It was all hands on deck right away, about seven hundred firefighters on scene.
Speaker 2: Now the air.
Speaker 1: Show, as you referred to it earlier, was able to start when the sun began to come up, and now we're seeing the firefighting Chinook helicopters, the fixed wing aircraft, the DC ten, the Super scoopers, everybody attacking this thing from the air.
Speaker 3: Pepperdine has canceled classes. This is finals week, so it's going to be annoying for some people to figure out how to reschedule all of that. About twenty two hundred acres was the latest update as of eight o'clock during that news conference. And this all comes when we are in the midst of a particularly dangerous situation.
Speaker 4: Red flag warning.
Speaker 3: It's a very special delineation that the National Weather Service makes about how dangerous these conditions are.
Speaker 1: Henry de Carlo from KTLA does an exemplary job of handling all of this forecasting. When we do get these fires hitting us here in southern California, joins us now and Henry. They say this particularly dangerous wind event will last until two pm today and then the red flag warnings until six pm tomorrow, So I'm assuming we'll have maybe another particularly dangerous time frame tomorrow as well.
Speaker 5: Well, Gary and Channa, it is great to be with you and thanks for having me on. You know, it's very interesting when we get to the red flag warnings because obviously we have fire concerns out there with the winds, the dry weather, low humidity, all of that stuff, and generally speaking, we'll start losing the winds, which is probably the most important component to lose, but we still have dry conditions, breezy conditions. So the red flag warnings usually are extended out a little bit later than maybe when the end event itself will die down, and that's just kind of a little buffer to let people know even though the winds are starting to subside and things are looking a little bit better that you know, they dry conditions and breezy conditions still put us at risk. But you know, to your point, I think once we get to middle afternoon, I think we're going to feel a lot better. In many spots, we just still need to be concerned through tomorrow.
Speaker 3: This is the second particularly dangerous designation that the National Weather Service has used this year this particularly dangerous situation. Last one was the was the the wind event right around election day where we saw the mountain fire start up out in Ventura County.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and this is somewhat new. We used to you know, we have the fire weather warnings, red flag warnings, which we're familiar with. We've had those around for years. And now when it comes to weather, it seems like when I say, you know, this isn't my doing this, it just kind of meteorologically speaking, Weather Service or you know, we're trying to classify things a little bit more, just like we have category hurricanes, you know, one through five. So now we have red flag warnings, but now we're almost putting a little bit higher classification on them. So when we know, okay, if you get a red flag warning, this is an extreme red flag warning, it's going to cover more areas, it may last a little bit longer, and it really puts us on a higher alert. And I think the reason why that's somewhat going to that because so often we could have maybe six, seven, eight red flag warnings a year, and maybe if you only have one significant event, then people start hearing them and they start thinking that it's not a big deal. We seem like we get these all the time. But now at these classifications, we could sit there and say, you know what this is, Yes, the red flag warning, but this wind event, this low humidity is really extreme and in extra dangerous, so to speak. So you know, it's somewhat new classif find these red flag warnings this way. But I think it's just a way to get people to acknowledge, Okay, we've been through this before, chances are will be okay, but this one really poses a threat, and obviously it did.
Speaker 1: Henry, have you saved any owls on the side of the road on your way to work recently?
Speaker 5: No, I haven't. I haven't saved any any animals, but I'm always open to do that. So but no, I haven't done that, but I do. I do appreciate you shedding some light on that story, because you know, whatever we can do to say our little friends. You know, I'm all for it.
Speaker 4: The ones that are on the side of the road, I mean, they need more story.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 5: Who was kind of a random thing? But like I said, I just saw that owl and I was like, this is sitting in the middle of the road. Something not right here. So at least they were the happy ending there.
Speaker 3: Listen, it's not like a hundred people found broken owls on the side of the road last year. It's I've never heard of And you did it. Yeah, you were the one who didn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well.
Speaker 5: Till early in the morning. And i'd like to you know, I was probably the only one out on the road at that time, but I'd like to think others would do the same. And I know there's a lot of people like yourselves, always wanting to help out when we can.
Speaker 1: I would not have done that.
Speaker 3: It would have been too bleary eyed to even notice it on the side of the road. So quick question, just about rainfall in that area around the Malibu area, and I know that it's I mean, it's almost verboating to say something like, what's a normal rain year, because we haven't had one in a long time. It seems it's either feast or famine when it comes like that. But where are we this year in terms of rainfall in that area?
Speaker 5: You know the rain year, and you know it's not a calendar year going January to December, so we start October first, we've kind of reset into a new rain season. Traditionally, we don't get a lot of rains, you know, obviously during the summer months and even October November, so you know, we haven't seen much of anything, so we're behind, but it's not a significant value. We get the bulk of our rain typically December January is a good month. February is a good month, in March, so I don't think we need to be concerned at this point. You know, the last couple of years, we actually had an early rainfall in the season and then we had a pretty good couple of storms. We had that atmosphere river storm that dumped a lot of rain, and we kind of picked up a lot of ground. We came right around the average, and I believe don't quote me on this, but if memory is correct, I think three of the past five years we've either hit or gone above the average, which is a good trend of five years prior to that, it was, you know, let's raise water prices. We're in you know, full on drought, and but we've we've been doing a little bit better and we are looking for an average water the year this year. So with any luck, we'll get our thirteen fourteen fifteen inches of rain by the end of the next water year, and hopefully we won't be too concerned.
Speaker 1: Henry de Carlo, always a pleasure to talk to you. You have a very calmon vibe about you when we're dealing with disasters.
Speaker 4: Appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Well, I appreciate you having me on anytime, and enjoy your day.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: That's very nice. We said that about to the owl when he rescued him. What he said to the owl, Hey like, hey who? No, I don't say who to an owl?
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 1: That'd be like making fun of somebody to their face, like the way they talk.
Speaker 3: Like making fun of their accent or something. Minimal number of structures that have been lost in this We've did see some images early on of homes that went down, but we just simply do not know how many. At this point, the priority is not to count how many homes. The priority priority is to get some containment line and some retardant around this fire to keep it from spreading.
Speaker 1: It looks like right now the act of flame that I've seen is up on the ridges, away from homes, burning in that in that thick, dense brush, which is good. But again, the attack has been on fire. I don't mean to say that the air attack has been robust.
Speaker 2: Robust this morning.
Speaker 3: There are still plenty of people in that area, in the Malamu area don't have power because of the public safety power shut off. There were some others back east, back sort of in the Marongo Basin area, they had also had their power turned off because of public safety power shut offs. The ironic thing is, we were talking with Henry de Carlo just a short time ago from KTLA about the winds and drought conditions, etc. That have existed at times in the last couple of years. I just checked the drought monitor map in the state of California, and really the only area that is significant is that it is abnormally dry but not considered a drought in much of the central Valley just south of Sacramento County, sort of from Sacramento County down to about Kern County. But other than that, we're doing well in terms of the map from the US Drought Monitor.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, the shooter of the United Healthcare CEO, Luigi Mangioni had a stronghold in Maryland, a lot of family ties there, big family in Maryland, but he had some ties to California. And we'll tell you as close as Santa Monica. A good news story to tell you about. They finally got the awful people that were taking advantage of elderly people, using God essentially to get these people to be robbed. It's an Orange County based robbery crew that has been taken into custody after good Samaritans and Sam Bardino intervened to help an older lady.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thirty thirty three and thirty five years old. Maria, Machalia and Ovidio all residents of Fullerton.
Speaker 4: These are just their first names because the others are hard to say.
Speaker 3: A couple of them found to have warrants for their arrest in other counties for robbery, theft from elderly and grand theft from a person.
Speaker 4: And if you remember, yeah, they were they were was it?
Speaker 3: They were luring people to church or luring people with the they were going.
Speaker 1: Like outside of churches and talking to people and then having getting in their car and taking them to another location and then robbing them. So it looks like these two women and one man approached this woman on Foothill and Rancha Cucamonga, attempted to steal the jewelry she was wearing, including a necklace that she was wearing around her neck.
Speaker 3: Sheriff's department shows up reports of this attempt at robbing, and they figured out that they were They took off in a waiting car which was spotted just a couple of miles away at Foothill and Milliken, and all three of them were picked up. Is I don't understand the trio. That's what I don't get.
Speaker 2: The two women.
Speaker 3: It just seems like this is a one person thing. Unless if old video is the I'm assuming that's the guy is the mastermind of all of this. He does not have to be by any means, but he was using the women to make elderly people feel more.
Speaker 2: Comfortable, probably the old honey pot.
Speaker 3: Because he's not a gentle looking fellow than if you were to walk up to my grandma, she would tell me.
Speaker 2: But I love.
Speaker 1: That they tried to rob this woman, and that good Samaritans were there like ran to her to help out, and they took off. That's essentially what it was. So, yes, they're awful people. They should go straight to hell. But there are still good people out there.
Speaker 4: That is nice. You would help, I don't know if I would. I'd like to.
Speaker 3: Well, now you've put me on the hook to help out wounded owls on the side of the road, and now an elderly woman who's being robbed of her jewelry.
Speaker 1: Well, remember when you helped the traveling obg y n get back to Orange County to deliver the triplets?
Speaker 4: How much did I give him?
Speaker 1: Twenty dollars? Twenty dollars bill, twenty dollars? How much will that get you up with?
Speaker 2: Saint Peter? Probably get that spot on mine ahead.
Speaker 4: Where did he spend the twenty bucks that I gave him?
Speaker 2: Probably in an alley on fetanylar cracks.
Speaker 3: And remember I was so I felt good about myself. He did until you guys popped my balloon. You came in, You're like, this is what I did today.
Speaker 1: I ouped a traveling obgyn delivered triplets. He was out of money and all credit cards at the gas station and I gave him twenty dollars to get down there to birth the help with the birth of those triplets.
Speaker 2: And I said, sounds like a scam.
Speaker 1: Dude, You're like no, And I'm like that why traveling obg y N. If I was delivering triplets, I would make sure my doctor was in.
Speaker 4: The zip code.
Speaker 1: Well maybe not some charlatan freaking carnival doctor.
Speaker 3: A multiple birth doctor specialist multiple or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then we googled it Asian traveling obgyn and the stories were all.
Speaker 4: Over the place.
Speaker 3: They were ample, like whatever you do, do not give this guy twenty bucks.
Speaker 1: Well, and the part that really smelled scam as he said, you give me the money, now, I'll give you like three times your money this afternoon, like and a set of steak knives.
Speaker 4: Okay, I get it.
Speaker 2: No, but you are a good person.
Speaker 1: And because of that story, I do believe you would save the owl and that you would have saved this elderly woman necklace in tow and remember when.
Speaker 2: You save the baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's that was incredible. Why didn't you punch the window of my fist or anything? You kind of cuckholded the dad he deserved it.
Speaker 2: He did.
Speaker 3: He was walking around like a big old, like an idiot, just an idiot.
Speaker 4: It's your kid.
Speaker 1: You bursted through that window, you broke the glass. You and cured the baby. That was incredible.
Speaker 3: And when they came in and thanked me, like the woman brought the baby in and then thanked me later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I was looking around, like, where's your husband?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Where's that guy? I hope he's being questioned by the deputies. Yeah, or being a moron.
Speaker 1: You delivered more babies than that Asian obgin not delivered essentially, probably just like all hands on deck. La County fire and assisting fire crews have been overnight and into this morning. It looks like a lot of the active flame is burning on top of the ridges, not near neighborhoods. At this point, we do know some homes have been lost, minimal loss. According to the authorities at the latest press briefing, it is more than twenty two hundred acres. At this point it is zero percent contained. We are in the middle of what the National Weather Service calls a particularly dangerous Santa Anna wind event until two pm today, So this is very important hours ahead in terms of getting ahead of this thing and making that line, and that is hard work in this mountainous area.
Speaker 3: This is not necessarily in the same area that the Woolsey fire burned in twenty eighteen, but it is sort of on the very very eastern portions of where that fire burned. It was that one was ninety seven thousand acres and it burned all the way up over the hill in two thousand oaks across the one to one all that, so I mean to give you an idea the difference in the size. It went on forever too. Yeah, it was particularly dangerous. So obviously there are closures. Pch closed between Carbon Canyon and Coral Canyon. Several of those areas to Panga Canyon is closed through traffic. They're only letting. And that was closed before the fire even started. That was closed yesterday just out of a precaution because they knew the conditions were going to be bad.
Speaker 1: The guy they say killed the United Healthcare CEO in New York City is said to appear in court this afternoon in Pennsylvania. This could be an extradition hearing for Luigi Mangioni, twenty six year old caught at that McDonald's in Altoona. I want to know about that McDonald's employee. Why haven't gotten that story yet. I want to know more about that guy slash girl who said you look like the guy on TV called in the cops. The cops say, hey, you've been to New York recently. He apparently starts shaking and they bring him in for questioning. They find the three D printed handgun, the silencer similar to the one used in the shooting the fake IDs, and that three page handwritten manifesto.
Speaker 3: If you're the cop and the guy starts shaking, yeah.
Speaker 1: That just seems like it's I don't know. I do that at a traffic stop. I get pulled over for it. Like, are you getting pulled over running a stop sign? And I start shaking?
Speaker 4: How often are you getting pulled over?
Speaker 2: I haven't been pulled over in years.
Speaker 4: You think you'd shake now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know why.
Speaker 1: Every time there's a cop behind me, I suddenly feel like I don't know.
Speaker 3: If there's dead bodies in the back of the truck, you know that they're there for you, and your mind starts racing. Yeah, I get that too, but I don't It's been all so Why do I think that, like I'm going to go to prison or something.
Speaker 1: I've done nothing wrong except for maybe sped or ran through a crosswalk or you know, a yellow light or something like that. It's not like I've killed someone and the rotting body is back there. Like, why do I get so nervous over a simple traffic stop?
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: Do you think I've killed people in past lives?
Speaker 4: You may have and driven with them. Maybe guilt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's a that's a good descriptor that's a good reason to be skincs it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this guy Luigi did have some ties to California.
Speaker 3: The According to public records, he actually spent time at Stanford back in twenty nineteen, and at one time was working for Truecar, the company True Car, the digital marketplace for cars out of Santa Monica. We don't know if he was actually living in Santa Monica at the time. He also spent time in Hawaii, and I guess in court last night said that Hawaii was his most recent permanent address, even though as we talked about last time we talked about this last hour, he had told friends that he was going to be back in Hawaii at some point, but was back east to see family and to take care of his spinal injury that he had suffered. So outside of that, we'll just continue to get more and more information about him and about his family. The family finally broke their silence on the arrest. They put a statement on the media profile social media profile for Nico Mangioni, who is a Republican delegate in the Maryland House of Delegates. He said, our family is shocked and devastated by Luigi's are We offer our prayers to the family of Brian Thompson. We ask people to pray for all involved.
Speaker 1: Felt some more about that back pain that led to the surgery that may have been the break in his life. On good Reads that's a book review website. This guy's got an extensive online footprint, fingerprint, whatever you want to say. He reported reading or wanting to read a number of books about coping with chronic back pain, and he talked about the spinal injury, the slippage of vertebrae, and the spine that he had been suffering from. It says that he had talked about suffering from backaches. This was on his Reddit account related to this condition. Since childhood, but aggravated the condition after that surfing lesson in Honolulu. He wrote in July of last year, my back and hips locked up after the accident, talking about intermittent numbness that had become constant, he wrote, I'm terrified of the implications, maybe worried about paralysis, I would imagine. He did not talk about health insurance related to the surgery or treatment related to United health Care, but did talk about past struggles with health issues like lime disease severe brain fog. He said that he started getting brain fog after losing sleep during his fraternities hell week, caused his college grades to fall, and he said they say he expressed frustration about how little was understood by the medical community about brain fog. He wrote that it's absolutely brutal to have such a life halting issue. The people around you probably won't understand your symptoms. They certainly don't for me. And again the report was he went silent about six months ago with friends and family.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's not.
Speaker 3: I mean, from everything that we've seen, we have yet to figure out if he had a problem with insurance, you know, I mean, obviously there would be multiple things that he was dealing with.
Speaker 2: But when you.
Speaker 1: Come from that much money, you don't have an insurance problems? Do you have a concierge doctor.
Speaker 3: That's the thing that I've not quite you know, they haven't made that connection. I mean, it may simply be the Brian Thompson exemplified to him the healthcare industry and it wasn't specific an insurance issue that he was fighting back against.
Speaker 1: Right, and he was critical of AI and this guy that was shot and killed was very much into AI and using it in the healthcare industry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are following the Franklin fire. There's fire burning out in the Malibu area. Just updated numbers from cal Fire. They've bumped up the acreage to twenty five hundred ninety three acres. Getting a little more specific because they have more information, it's a little easier during the daytime for them to actually map out exactly what has burned. So again, two five hundred ninety three acres have burned. Pepperdine University was on a shelter in place protocol overnight, but they have lifted that. They've said the conditions have I've shown that the fire itself is burning away from the campus. They said conditions are safer members of the community to return to student residences and on campus homes. And they said if you're not. If for some reason, you left campus overnight to simply get out of the area, they said, just wait, there will be a safer time for you to go in there, partly because so many roads are close. Pch we know is close through that area, so it's going to be harder to get back on campus if you in fact left overnight.
Speaker 1: May I please have some music, storytime music, like kind of sad storytime music. Yes, let me introduce you to eighty year old Raymond Hallly. Raymond was terribly lonely. He moved into a veteran's home in Bristol, Rhode Island. Pets were not allowed at this home, and so we had to give up his fourteen year old cat named Kevin.
Speaker 5: True.
Speaker 1: His mood, though, began to brighten when he was given a robotic cat. Now, this robotic cat resembles a stuffed animal, but looks and moves like the real thing. Raymond named it Franklin to honor his real cat. He had to give away both, named for his favorite president.
Speaker 2: By the way.
Speaker 1: Franklin moves, Meal's purrs like the live cat did. They have sensors AI. They respond to sounds, touch and light. Raymond says, even though I know my new pet isn't real, it gives me the opportunity to have a private bond once again. It's obvious to anyone who knows how to love. You want to talk about Alfred, I do, but I am this is on comfortable. Alfred Jarvis ninety two year old guy, retired salesman. He had become belligerent as a result of his Alzheimer's disease.
Speaker 3: He would yell at his wife. He would curse at his wife of seventy two years. At one time he grabbed her arm so hard that he almost broke it. Put him into an assisted living facility because obviously it was getting dangerous. And his niece gave him a robotic cat, and she said almost immediately he began to stroke the cat, speaking into it and speaking to it in a soothing voice, saying things like, don't be scared, It's going to be okay, patches.
Speaker 2: So this is true. This happened in my life.
Speaker 1: My mother in law, when she was in the throes of Alzheimer's, was super belligerent, and a woman who did not curse began to curse personality GDSOB was her common refrain, but the whole thing. And you would give her a stuffed animal and she would do that.
Speaker 2: She would talk to it, she would pet it.
Speaker 1: She became very docile, demure, nice, caring for the stuffed animal, taking care of it, and the belligerence would go away.
Speaker 2: So we just filled the house with stuffed animals.
Speaker 4: But well, I don't know what. Why can't we give him a real cat?
Speaker 2: Because they can't take care of it.
Speaker 1: They have Alzheimer's or their mobility is limited at eighty five years old.
Speaker 4: I know, doctor, But listen, could you.
Speaker 1: Take care of your dog at ninety with Alzheimer's?
Speaker 2: No, you could not.
Speaker 1: And if you got the same benefits as a real dog as you get from a stuffed animal or a robot dog, hell yeah, I say give every.
Speaker 2: Old person one of these things.
Speaker 3: Are they incapable of seeing that it's not a real dog.
Speaker 1: No, Raymond knows that it's not real, but it gives him the same benefit.
Speaker 3: But Alfred believes it was a real dog because he would say he thinks it's real and it calms him down.
Speaker 4: And when we come to visit. He says, do you want to hold Mike?
Speaker 1: When you have someone with Alzheimer's. You'll let them believe anything if it calms them down. You don't care.
Speaker 4: I guess that's true.
Speaker 3: An associate professor University of Pittsburgh's Division of Geriatric Medicine says, the lovely thing about robotic pets is they don't bite.
Speaker 4: You don't have to clean up after him. You could take them anywhere.
Speaker 3: She says, I've seen older people take their pets finger quotes to the grocery store and.
Speaker 4: Talk to them about their lives.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They are a way for an older adult with or without dementia to have something to care for, and they provide meaningful interaction for those who may be homebound.
Speaker 4: We should get one. That's a great thing.
Speaker 1: We should get one for around here. Wouldn't that be fun? That would be fun.
Speaker 3: We've just now been making inroads into cleaning out our office and you want to buy more stuff.
Speaker 1: But the pet would would just walk around.
Speaker 2: I can get one on Amazon. Look at this. Look at this cat, Orange Tabby.
Speaker 4: Cat walks around. That one just sits there.
Speaker 1: Oh what wait, hold on, no, it says, cat like movements.
Speaker 4: That's not walking.
Speaker 5: It purrs.
Speaker 4: That's that's cat like.
Speaker 1: Oh, I wanted to walk around. I wanted to walk around the whole station. How much do those go for?
Speaker 3: You have to get like a Tesla robot dog. Look up Boston Scientific Robot Dogs. This one has a heart beat.
Speaker 4: No, it does not have a heartbeat. So we're not.
Speaker 2: Guys robot guys? Are we doing it?
Speaker 3: Please pull the trigger on this. I mean pull the no, pull the rug out from under this. That's what I meant to say.
Speaker 2: I'll pull the trigger on this.
Speaker 4: Geez. I think it's an awful idea.
Speaker 1: For the record, I know when you say the two things. I know when you say when I'm in trouble or you disagree with whatever it is, do.
Speaker 2: You want to know what they are?
Speaker 4: I do?
Speaker 1: Number one is jeez. Number two is if you say so, those are your tells.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.