Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 2: US Surgeon General Vivic Murphy is saying that alcohol is a leading cause of cancer and that should be clearly labeled. This advisory comes as a research and evidence mounts about the effects of alcohol and human health should be better informed. He says, we should be better informed about the link between alcohol and cancer in particular, and about twenty thousand people, he says, die every year from alcohol related cancer cases. Bottles of beer, wine liquor already carry warning labels about the risk of birth defects if a pregnant woman consumes alcohol, but this label would go further and would raise awareness about the risk for cancer as well.
Speaker 3: Morm and Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 4: This is Peter, good boy.
Speaker 3: I love your show. Gary. I think I might have caught you in an unprecedented Faux pahils are not metal. They metal reinforced concrete. Yes, the barriers that we usually see nowadays. I just thought you'd like to know.
Speaker 2: That is correct, That is right I'm thinking of I always thought that the k rail was the name of the metal barricade held up by wooden posts, usually because of the shape of the metal. I didn't realize that this this is a this I'm blown away now and I feel like my earth has shifted beneath it, and I am uncovere You you've known.
Speaker 1: I mean, when I had k rail up outside my house, you knew that that was called k rail.
Speaker 4: And I don't know why I thought it was.
Speaker 5: Is it your cognitive decline.
Speaker 4: Probably I'm starting to slip. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Jersey barrier, Jersey wall, Jersey bump, all of these, the modular concrete or plastic barrier, the barriers known as a K rail, which was stipulated in the California Department of Transportation specs for temporary concrete traffic barriers, which they started using in the mid forty Sometimes.
Speaker 1: We should do our own reading in our private time, Like I don't think we need to do a deep dive on the history.
Speaker 2: How high would you say is a typical Jersey barrier? I'll tell you thirty two inches?
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: Many are constructed with the embedded sheet steel portray it Jen.
Speaker 5: But I'm happy to say it's time for swamp watse.
Speaker 2: Wait before we get to that, I have one more very nice thing to play for us.
Speaker 6: Hi Gary, Hi Shannon Gary, Happy birthday.
Speaker 4: Thank you you guys.
Speaker 6: You just have to know how good it is to have you back on the air and the routine that we're all used to. I've called you many times. I'm eighty years old, I'm a fan, my husband's in memory care, and you know, just you keep me company every day. So thanks a lot for what you do. Bless you both.
Speaker 4: Thank you very less year.
Speaker 1: By the way, it is true, I don't like it when people mess with my routine. I mean, if I had a routine, I think I'd feel that way. Routine It's time for swamp was.
Speaker 2: Manna make it like a reality TV show?
Speaker 7: Bad Noos Always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d C.
Speaker 5: Hey, Joe.
Speaker 7: A town hall too clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways still a swamp.
Speaker 4: I have a batch of mawarkee. What he said, drained the swamp. I said, oh that's so, you know the thing? Well, the call went out, do not go anywhere.
Speaker 2: We need everybody in the House to come back to the House floor. The first vote did not go Mike Johnson's way, so they've decided that they're going to turn around and vote again right away to see if they can get Mike Johnson as the Speaker of the House.
Speaker 1: Broken hips and all. Nancy Pelosi is back on the floor there.
Speaker 4: They it's just one. I don't know if it's well, I don't know.
Speaker 5: The second speaker vote, they say expected imminently.
Speaker 2: Yes, multiple holdouts that ultimately voted against Mike Johnson. We know about Thomas Massey, we know about Ralph Norman, and now we also had Congressman Keith self who opposed Mike Johnson on the floor, and it looks like we had guys like seven Republicans who did not vote during the initial roll call, Andy Biggs, Andrew Clyde, Michael Cloud, Paul Gosar, Andy Harris, chip Roy, and Michael Waltz is there but apparently missed his turn, so he didn't get to vote. At the end of the call, all seven of them were given a final chance to vote. All seven of them did, in fact vote for Johnson, but one of those holdouts Andrew Clyde walked down to the aisle to speak his vote directly to the clerk and was carrying what appears to be a bible.
Speaker 4: One of the whips in his speaker race.
Speaker 2: Dusty Johnson was seen in an animated back and forth with Chip Roy in the back of the chamber. Dusty Johnson also talking to Keith self, who did oppose Johnson on the floor, and then also Andrew Clyde as well.
Speaker 4: So Johnson left the House chamber.
Speaker 2: It appeared likely he didn't have enough votes to keep his gavel on this first ballot, and again they will be coming back.
Speaker 4: They will be doing a second vote.
Speaker 2: This is when that horse trading hand stuff takes place that you were talking about at the beginning.
Speaker 5: I would never say that that's vulgar.
Speaker 4: What happened in the last two hours.
Speaker 5: Ye have totally getting ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you see pictures from the floor, it looks like all hands stuff. So Matt Gates decided to take on this topic when he debuted his Matt Gates Show on the One America News network last night, but nobody was paying attention to what he said or anything the guest said. All people cared about who watched this was what happened to his face. And if you've seen Matt Gates through the years, you've known that his face has gone through many iterations.
Speaker 5: Well, it hasn't stopped, folks.
Speaker 1: He has a value card, a value punch card at his plastic surgeons, because they're pulling that thing in all sorts of directions.
Speaker 5: And I don't know.
Speaker 1: If it's in you know, cohorts with the with the Death of the Catwoman from New York.
Speaker 2: But he looks scarily like her. Tell me your opinions on the plastic surgery in men.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's more obvious in men, or maybe it's just because fewer men get it, so it seems more obvious. But sometimes, like when we're watching the television and certain people will come on and we'll be like, that guy's had work done. We don't do that with women. I see sometimes when it's obvious it's gone maybe a little bit too far.
Speaker 2: Well, the other question I have is is there an age where it's okay for men?
Speaker 5: Listen.
Speaker 1: I know you have a birthday coming up on Sunday, and maybe this is a conversation we have in private, but I think you look fine, just the way you are, and I don't think you should touch your face.
Speaker 4: I'm saying. Matt Gates is ten years younger than I.
Speaker 2: It's like my age, I think, And it has had a carload of things happen to men.
Speaker 1: Some men get into it really early. Why because they want to look perfect?
Speaker 2: But he's never looked perfect, and that's what he's striving. And the worst thing that he's doing is trying Who's telling him that it looks good?
Speaker 1: I don't know the guy with the needle. Sometimes maybe he's trying to fix things that you know. I mean in his face.
Speaker 2: It looks like he put his face through an Instagram filter.
Speaker 5: Right, and I think that's what he's going for.
Speaker 2: But I mean in the bad way, like one of the funny Instagram filters that makes it look like your face is contorting, not.
Speaker 1: Like the filters that I have. Rich he put all my photos.
Speaker 2: No, the like hey your ten your skinny, cheekbones are popping, teeth are white.
Speaker 5: It's crazy. None that she can do. Honestly, he's a freaking magician.
Speaker 4: His nose reminds me of like a who from Whoville.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not Richie. You're talking about Matt Gates right right.
Speaker 1: His eyebrows have become quite prominent because he did something with the forehead to where it like puts him down here and look like an evil villain.
Speaker 4: And he's like, nobody needs a bigger forehead. I should say very few people need a bigger forehead.
Speaker 5: Le's see what he looks like.
Speaker 1: They had like side by side pictures of him before he went through this latest thing of what he used to look like, and he was just kind of like chubby white guy, like just but now he's just and you know, he had it together, so that's what he started out looking like.
Speaker 5: That wasn't so bad, but he's taken that too far.
Speaker 2: He's addicted, Yeah, and he's you can't get away from it now because then you're gonna start hearing people say what happened to your face? And then you're going to go to the doctor and you're going to take me back to where I was. I don't want to live like this.
Speaker 5: It's like it's like a twilight Zone.
Speaker 4: It's a wonderful life. Yeah, like Harry Bailey's face.
Speaker 1: Dude. I sunk into the couch watching the Twilight's twilight Zone Marathon for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. I just sat there watched episode after episode, Like I don't have the entire collection.
Speaker 4: Just a couple of minutes. Was talking about your routine. Yeah, you don't like when you're routine.
Speaker 5: I was speaking for people who are routine oriented. My husband's a routine person.
Speaker 2: My routine is nine and a half hours at a go on the couch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know she worked on that. Who's your favorite Spider Man? I think he was really Yeah, well then I apologize for my no.
Speaker 2: No, I that doesn't mean he has to come back. I don't mind moving on. We do different Spider man's I don't care. The Notre Dame fighting Irish beat up on Georgia last night.
Speaker 4: So Notre Dame is going.
Speaker 2: To take on Penn State in the upcoming semis yes, semi finals, and on the other end of it, it's going to be Texas and Ohio State ironically playing in Dallas, and Texas is going to be technically the visiting team in that one. Interesting, but that's just the way college football playoffs are going to go. And then, of course, the winner of those two teams will play in the National Championship, which comes up on the twentieth happens to be Inauguration Day, but it'll be the twentieth in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Am I the worst person in the world for saying that Toby maguire is my favorite Spider Man?
Speaker 4: No, I don't think so. Probably. I mean Andrew Garfield was kind of the mixed in there. He was like the lost.
Speaker 5: He was like a Tokyo drift.
Speaker 4: I was going to say he was the lost James Bond, but that's fine.
Speaker 5: Would you like your Jeopardy question?
Speaker 4: Oh God, I don't even know what our topic is?
Speaker 5: Ancient Greeks?
Speaker 4: Oh great?
Speaker 5: For twelve hundred, This is great.
Speaker 1: Want to read the surviving works of this philosopher who founded the Lyceum. You can see him in the Oxford Ribe friend's book. I guess you could just name any Greek philosopher. If you watch Legally Blonde, you know the answer to this.
Speaker 4: Lewis Petros papadekis.
Speaker 5: No Aristotle, very similar.
Speaker 2: All right, John Thune is going to take charge in the Senate. He's ushering in a new era over there. He's good at what he does, and he didn't have any problems over in the Senate picking a leader. But they are in the House, just a quick update. They are still they still not have they still not. They still have not gabbled out the first vote first round of voting for Speaker of the House, because if they do, they wouldn't be able to call for a quick recess. So they're keeping this thing going, giving Republicans an opportunity to kind of mill around the floor of the House talking, having these side conversations. The new House has yet to adopt formal rules to govern itself.
Speaker 4: Do you know why?
Speaker 2: Because they need to have a speaker to be able to do those things. The only option would be to take a formal break. Would have to be the entire chamber to vote to adjourn. That's more complicated than just holding this vote open longer. They have told people that they want to have them turn around and vote immediately for a second time, and at that point we're going to see exactly what goes on again. Mike Johnson does not have the votes, it appears in this first round of voting. They're gonna talk, they're gonna canoodle, they're gonna deal whatever they do.
Speaker 1: And the Centrists are pissed off at him now because he's making deals with the Conservatives and he's ciding, like you know, right before the first vote was cast, he goes on Twitter talks about how he'll help Elon Musk and Vivek Ramaswami, and so he's pissing off everybody a little bit.
Speaker 2: And there are at this point, I mean, there are three three Republicans who voted against him, and he can only stand to lose two. So that's why it is that he's not going to win that first vote. Can they change the mind? They're not going to change Thomas Massey's mind. He has come out and I think the term he used was you could pull out my fingernails and I'm not going to vote for a little graphic for Mike Johnson. You can pull all my fingernails out, you can shove bamboo up in them, you can start can cutting off my fingers. I am not voting for Mike Johnson tomorrow, and you can take that to the bank.
Speaker 4: Voting for Thomas No.
Speaker 2: He was on with again the weirdly faced Matt Gates last night.
Speaker 1: You're not John McCain. No one's doing warfare torture on you.
Speaker 4: That's a good point.
Speaker 2: Nobody wants to know how you're going to vote that badly. I do have a good story coming out of DC. President Biden is going to award the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military decoration, to say US Army veterans, for heroism during the Korean War and the Vietnam War. Five of the recipients were killed in battle. Among the two who survived and being honored is Korean War Vet Richard Cavazos, became the first Hispanic four star general for the Army. Cavazos has since died, but he received the Medal of Honor. I should say is receiving the Medal of Honor for heroism when fighting as a first lieutenant in the Korean War. He previously received this Distinguished Service Cross. On May of twenty three, Fort Hood in Texas was renamed Fort Cavazos as part of this effort to rename some military installations after Confederate generals. There will be in fact, Charles Johnson, Corporal Fred McGee, Private Wataro Nakamura, Private Bruno orig also honored for actions in the Korean War. Captain Hugh Nelson and Private Kenneth David honored for their actions during the Vietnam War. It has also previously given the Distinguished Service Cross, the only recipient still alive. He's being awarded for gallantry in a nineteen seventy fight in which he helped his team of fourteen soldiers pushback hundreds of North Vietnamese troops.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, the Garyan Chin and Wellness Desk DRY January has more people this year than last year signing up for the sober month of January. Last year, twenty five percent of Americans avoided alcohol completely for the month. And they say, yeah, it's going to uptick this year as well. So what exactly does that happen? What does it do to your body? Also, children are getting kidney stones.
Speaker 4: Why is that?
Speaker 5: We'll give you one one guess there, because.
Speaker 4: We're letting them down.
Speaker 2: That's why a bunch of these members of Congress have brought their kids to this first day of the one hundred and nineteenth Lord. That's but a couple of late switches apparently have given Mike Johnson the votes that he needs to maintain the gavel as the Speaker.
Speaker 4: Of the House.
Speaker 1: Although I will say this, when I was a kid and I thought about the capital, and I thought about it when for a school trip, when I was sixteen or seventeen, I thought that it was very cool because that was before I was old enough to know that all of these people are horrors that don't care about the American people and only care about themselves.
Speaker 4: We can't say all of them.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's I would say lots of them, and there's got to be so.
Speaker 1: Well, because it was a different time too, I feel like the horrorness of the Congress has exponentially gotten worse stronger. They become stronger horrors.
Speaker 5: In the years, stronger horses. I'm sorry, Listen.
Speaker 2: We don't know exactly who it was yet that switched their votes, but we'll find out obviously in the bit. But again, it looks like Mike Johnson has been elected House Speaker.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 2: They have been able to save some amount of face and despite the the turmoils back and forth, it looks like he's been re elected as House Speaker, and then Hakeem Jeffries will be probably re elected as the House Minority Leader, of course, the ranking Democrat in that body. So out of DC today as well, there is a new statement from the US Surgeon General Vivic Murphy. He wants to see alcoholic beverage. Beverages carry a warning label similar to what you might find on a pack of cigarettes.
Speaker 1: There's a strong link between alcohol and cancer, and they do believe that most people don't know that.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: For decades, moderate drinking was said to help prevent heart attacks and strokes. The latest perception a lot of studies will kind of point to, I don't know, Look a look at Italians. You know, they're big wine drinkers, and they don't necessarily have the same amount of heart disease that others do. Labels that are on bottles and cans of alcoholic beverages do warn about drinking, but they warn specifically drinking while pregnant, or drinking before you drive or operate other machinery and general health risks. But they said at least the Surgeon General says the alcohol directly contributes to one hundred thousand cancer cases a year and twenty thousand related deaths each year.
Speaker 1: They say the risks for cancers of the breast, the mouth, and the throat rise with consumption of as little as one drink a day or even less. Overall, one of every six breast cancer cases is attributable to alcohol consumption.
Speaker 5: One of every six.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: But again, I mean, this is the kind of stuff that I think that Vivac Murphy wants to have discussed, if nothing else, just to have that information out there and then you make a decision. This is an interesting time as well because the incoming administration. Old Trump famously is not a drinker and never has been because of his own family's history with alcoholism. RFK Junior, who would ostensibly become the head of the Health and Human Services, does not drink, does not do any drugs anymore. I mean, he had his very well publicized history little heroin addiction and some drinking stuff that was going on, but he swore off drugs and alcohol a long time ago. The question is, would a supporter I don't even know if that's.
Speaker 4: The right word. Would an I'll very loud, that's the pizza? Is it really? That's crazy loud. I'll say right thing. I'll be right back. Okay, is there nobody else who can?
Speaker 5: I guess? See, you know, I'll just I'll be down in a minute.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, Hi there.
Speaker 5: I'll be down in three minutes.
Speaker 1: Thanks byte, you're gonna send people for that?
Speaker 2: I don't know, why are you there's no question that heavy consumption of alcohol is dangerous. That's I mean, if not even just the health things, the situations that you put yourself in when you're drinking heavily right and be problematic.
Speaker 5: It looks like fun. I wonder if it would feel like to fly off of it.
Speaker 2: But supporters of moderate drinking, and again that phrase doesn't make a lot of sense, No, it doesn't.
Speaker 5: How would you just people who moderately drink.
Speaker 2: Maybe well, I mean they talk about the makers of wine and beer and spirits. Even some doctors and scientists have argued that.
Speaker 1: Because they've been paid for by the alcohol companies. Possibly, but they argue that doctors that would go on television until you smoking was good for your digestion.
Speaker 4: They were on your relaxation.
Speaker 2: They do argue that a little bit of alcohol each day can reduce may reduce I should say, cardiovascular disease.
Speaker 5: But so does exercise right and eating correctly.
Speaker 2: The newer studies point to those older studies and say, you guys did it wrong. The methodology was wrong, and a lot of them have changed their minds, and some have even come out. I think the World Health Organization has come out and said no amount of alcohol is good for you.
Speaker 5: Listen to how awful this is?
Speaker 1: Okay, So the theory about why this leads to cancer is that alcohol breaks down into as I listen, you're the scientist, a metabolite. Essentially the binds to DNA and damages it. So that's why the alcohol enables this metabolite to damage your DNA and that allows a cell to start growing uncontrollably and creating that malignant tumor.
Speaker 5: Listen to this part.
Speaker 1: Animal experiments have shown that rodents who's drinking water was spiked with ethanol developed large numbers of tumors all over their bodies. Jesus, Mary and Joseph, you're going to torture the animals to tell us that this is bad, that's awful.
Speaker 5: You have some ethanol, you'll learn.
Speaker 2: I'm talking like the most potent form of alb rights. I mean, ethanol is what it is that gets you drunk. But it's not like a West Coast ipa, no, exactly.
Speaker 1: They at least give the rat and IPA give.
Speaker 4: Him a choice of how he's gonna.
Speaker 5: Die, right, Pino grigio or something.
Speaker 2: But we've talked about dry January and dry most of January. There are a couple of different people. California based doctor specifically said that quitting alcohol for one month seems like a fad at first, but the benefits can be seen and felt long before your month is up, and could even contribute to longer periods of sobriety or cutting down. And again, the sobriety term is make it makes it sound like it's a binary thing. You're either completely addicted to alcohol or you're a teetotaler, and there's somewhere in the middle there you can be a responsible drinker. The question that this brings up is or what doctor Kristin Fuller is saying, you get into it for a few days. It depends how often you do you drink every day, do you drink every other day, how much do you drink each day?
Speaker 4: Do you drink only on the weekends.
Speaker 2: And if you make those decisions, you will find right away, Oh, I realize that it does impact my sleep, or I don't have to wake up feeling like that every day. And then sometimes she says that this is something that you want to sustain. I like the way that this feels, so I am going to cut way back and I'm not just going to say January thirty first is the end of it.
Speaker 1: So more kids are getting kidney stones. What's the reason. Oh, you know, ultra processed foods. We'll talk about it. Also, cruise ships, pack your diapers with you. It's because it's never been worse when it comes to stomach problems.
Speaker 4: Oh you mean for me, not just for the baby.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, pretty dramatic turn of events if you're into that sort of thing. Lawmakers have elected Mike Johnson House Speaker again.
Speaker 4: On their first ballot.
Speaker 2: A couple of Republican detractors did flip their vote their votes to back Mike Johnson at the last minute. He was initially on track to lose, but he did get the two hundred and eighteen votes. Thomas Massey was the guy who voted for Tom Emmer. He said a long time ago that he was not going to vote for Mike Johnson once again, but apparently Ralph Norman and Keith self did change their votes after everyone had voted. The vote was held open for an extended period of time, so it wasn't gabbled to an official close, and Johnson walked to the room. He actually left the chamber for a while and came back in and it looks like Keith self and Ralph Norman were the ones that flip did flip their votes in support of Johnson. But here's the big thing. The big question is what did they get? What kind of ye what kind of.
Speaker 1: Problem was your genitals? And you're back, I think is the right. TI.
Speaker 7: I'll wash your back, cratch your back, whatever, wash the genital right, That's the way it goes.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, an update from yesterday's story about that plane crash in Fullerton, it looks like it was a pilot and its teenage daughter who were killed in that it was a kit plane.
Speaker 5: Make it at home, maintain it at home. FAA does check it out at some.
Speaker 1: Point, but nineteen people are injured after that small plane crashed through the roof of that warehouse and Fullerton, adjacent to the Fullerton Municipal Airport.
Speaker 2: Our last Gas Fantasy four playoffs coming up this week, at least for the regular season. I think we'll try to do a six pack for wild card weekend and then reconnoiter for a four pack for the division.
Speaker 5: So I guess I do have a chance to catch up with Jacob.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got some opportunity.
Speaker 1: I do have some opportunities. It's a create my own destiny kind of It is.
Speaker 2: One of those things you control your own desks, you sure do. Okay, So here we go. We're talking about our wellness desk, which is going to expand, I shall say probably in twenty twenty five, won't.
Speaker 1: It's in Clay building us a wellness desk. Clay, you know, I'm gonna text him right now. He's been threatening to build us a wellness desk for months, a year, a year, a year. How's that wellness desk coming along?
Speaker 4: He might be busy.
Speaker 5: I'm sure he's busy. He's got a million things to do.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Fifteen year old girl annabel Pleskoff woke up before school one morning and had pain that radiated from her right side. She goes to the emergency room. Doctor said, it's probably appendicitis. If it gets too bad, comeback. Well, it got worse, but it wasn't appendicitis. It was kidney stones.
Speaker 1: Kidney stone cases rising among children. Some medical professionals implicate a familiar culprit, the ultra processed foods. Now for Annabelle, she's twenty five now, she's had more than thirty kidney stone. It's probably something else going on with Annabelle.
Speaker 2: There is a chemical thing. You can be resusceptible to them, depending on diet. But listen, the kidney stones used to be a white, middle aged guy thing. I've had a couple of girlfriends that have had them, and one of the doctors, gregor Itasian, is a pediatric urologist at Children's Hospital of Philly and has done research on kidney stones and kids, said the disease effects adults and kids in similar ways because they're often the stones are made of calcium oxalate, but the profile of the pediatric and adult patients differs. The kids are young, they're healthy, they don't have the comorbid conditions that you think of. So treating stones and kids can involve medical management and in some cases actual surgical intervention. Usually it's an over the counter medication to deal with the pain, prescription drug that will then help dilate the ureader muscles, enabling the stone to pass through from the ureader to the bladder.
Speaker 5: Drink water, too, Water is good.
Speaker 2: A kid experience of kidney stones may also need antibiotics because they can develop a urinary tract infection. Which can occur when the stone obstructs the got a little faint, Yeah, the stone obstructs the urine flow. And you could also be prescribed to prevent infections after a procedure.
Speaker 7: Sometimes they have to let's not get into that. Sometimes no reason we need that knowledge. They have to do a uteroscopy. Stop it, sorry, your readeroscopy.
Speaker 1: This is stuff you talked to with your wife at home over dinner, not for all of us to hear about. Most mechanics of the scope going in the eurythra.
Speaker 2: What I love is they tell us where the scope ends up. They don't tell us where it starts. A scope enters the bladder and breaks up the stone directly or with shockwave litho trips stop it, which breaks up the stone into small pieces and then can pass.
Speaker 4: Okay, more good news.
Speaker 1: The cruise ship industry says that outbreaks of the neuro virus, it's been the worst year for stomach sickness in over a decade. What is it about cruise ships, Well, it's joint living, it's communal living, it's buffets.
Speaker 5: It's not washing the hands.
Speaker 2: More and more it seems like it's communal trauma that people are dealing with.
Speaker 1: I used to love cruises, but uh, and then one time. No, I haven't had that issue, but you know it just I think after the pandemic, I'm still a little squeamish about living with thousands of people in a small.
Speaker 5: Area like that.
Speaker 1: And it is the food, Like you don't know the chain of custody of your food. I like to know the chain of custody of my food, and I know it doesn't always happen, but on a large scale.
Speaker 2: Like that, you've got no freaking idea, they said. In these brown storm incidents, I think is what they call it in the cruise industry brown storms. Most of them have been caused by neurovirus. One of them was linked to E. Coli this year twenty twenty four, and another to salmonella, and in a few cases the causes have not been identified, but it's likely one of those. One of those three five December outbreaks affected four ships. Cunard, Line, Me and Queen Mary two had illnesses on back to back sailings on a current. The Current cruise three hundred and twenty six of almost twenty five hundred passengers and sixty five of the twelve hundred crew have reported that they're sick with vomiting, diarrhea, diarrhea.
Speaker 4: And stomach cramps, among others.
Speaker 2: This reminded me, and you just you just reminded me of how absolutely insane we were at the beginning of COVID.
Speaker 4: Remember the cruise ships.
Speaker 2: Yes, remember left We were talking about like, okay, well, what do we do with the cruise ship that's off the coast of San Francisco?
Speaker 4: Do we dare let it dock?
Speaker 1: We just left him there for a while, right, I forget. I tried to forget all of that stuff. That was a dark time, and.
Speaker 2: People who got COVID on these cruise ships became momentary celebrities. We're begging to get them on the phone and talk to them. We got a couple, yeah, and then like what's it like? They're like, oh, I have a cold, right, little body aches and stuff and runny nose and my sore throat and all that. And then the I don't know why he made me think of this, the hospital ship. Oh, it was brought to the port of La that's right, because we were gonna we were going to be overrun and there were going to be thousands of people in the streets dying from COVID. Yeah, and there were six was it six patients that were treated on that hospital ship or something ridiculously low like that.
Speaker 1: And speaking of cod COVID, you know who were those likely to die? The people who had the diabetes.
Speaker 4: We don't talk about them.
Speaker 5: Oh sorry, I'm just saying. It's part of the wellness desk of Let me get into this pizza, yeh, and preach more.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.