Speaker 1: Two dot Org.
Speaker 2: KCAA is your CNBC News abiliate where the station that gets down to business.
Speaker 3: The information discussed on this show is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. All content is for general informational purposes only.
Speaker 4: It's Guys Guy Radio. Here's your host, Robert Manny.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Guys Guys Radio. This is your host, Robert Manny, welcoming you to the show where men and women can be at their best and everyone wins. Guys Guys Radio. We're here to inform you, inspire you, empower you, and get you to think, feel, and who knows, maybe even act by virtue of the journeys, stories, experiences and insights of the guests I bring you each and every week to the show. Once again, this week is no exception. Today we're going to talk about conscious and powerful aging with special guest David Emerson Frost. You know, folks, you ask yourself the question at a certain point in life, is aging inevitable? Or is decline optional? Today, I'm going to sit down with fitness trainer and author David Emerson Frost. He's written two books, Kaboomer about obviously baby Boomer staying strong and also strong to save his fitness book about gen X, and we're going to break down the truth about longevity, strength and what it really takes to stay powerful as we age. We're going to talk about why strength beats cardio after age forty, the mindset that separates thriving from declining, and how men and guys guys can reclaim their edge without losing their soul. Folks, this one hits hard and might just change how you think about getting older. My special guest today on Guys Guys Radio David Emerson Frost. He's an amazing guy fitness trainer, rowing coach, and champion and he's got a lot of insights to share with us on today's program.
Speaker 4: It's Guys Guy Radio.
Speaker 5: Okay, Guys Guys Radio is the interview portion of our show, and you know, Guys Guys Radio is really it's your home for everything from relationships to personal growth and purpose. And today we're going to talk about something that every man and woman on this planet is dealing with. And we've talked to about this subject before on the show, but we're going to talk about once again aging because I think it's just so important. Now I'm an aging boomer, as is my guest I'm going to introduce. But what if aging didn't have to mean decline? I mean, everybody hits who hits seventy always hears the word old. And we've been given certain roles to play and it doesn't have to be that way. And I've always said that, and I'm so glad my guest feels the same way. So what if getting older actually meant getting stronger physically, mentally, even spiritually. Well, today, our guest is David Emerson Frost. Let me tell you a little bit about him. He is an NFPT certified Master Fitness trainer, a rowing coach, a champion competitor, and an award winning adjunct professor. After he completely decorated careers in US Navy and business world, he found Well Past forty, LLC to promote health span and lifespan for people in middle age and beyond. And he's a US Navy veteran. And he's got two books we're going to talk about today. One is called Kaboomer Thriving and Striving into your nineties and also Strong to Save. The new one, which is eugen X imperative to die harder and later. So welcome to Guys Guys Radio, David Emerson.
Speaker 6: Frost, Robert, what a pleasure, and thank you for sharing. I think those subtitles are provocative. They were meant to be. And if you were to ask me, Robert, what would I define a Guys guy? It would be a guy that wants to die harder and later. Yeah, to be late to your own funeral if you can.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I want to die harder, but I want to die later. So anyhow, welcome to the show. You know, what was it that inspired your focus on longevity and redefining age through strength? I asked you that because in my case, I saw the labels that have been put on us throughout our lives. You're a kid, you're ther student, you're the early young worker, you're the father, you're the husband, and each each decade we get a different role, and then they start to phase you out corporately, and then you're determined that you're old. And it doesn't have to be that way. Because when I turned seventy last year, I felt as good, if not better, than I did when I was fifty. I've run three marathons. I don't run marathons anymore, but I feel fantastic. My energy levels up, and I'm so pleased to find a kindred spirit in you. What inspired you to go along this path? Also?
Speaker 6: Thank you. I, like many people, had, life happened Robert in two thousand and one. September of two thousand and one, I severely herniated a disc in my lower back. And I thought I was a pretty tough guy as a competitor, and I had religious pain that I tried to endure, do all sorts of everything from steroid shots to aggressive therapy. I ultimately went the invasive route to have my spine fused, and I'm glad I did because that's what got me into physical training and renewing my competitive lifestyle and trying to inspire others. So it was my defining moment, what I call my Phoenix moment, was a personal injury and my own lessons learned. Robert. I thought I might be able to share with others because life does happen, doesn't it.
Speaker 5: That's fantastic. So let's start with your first book, Kaboomer, Thriving and Striving into your nineties. I love that into your nineties. What does the title mean? And who is this book really for? Who are you talking to here? Boomers?
Speaker 6: Yes? So my first book, Generational second one was as well, but Kaboomer was my attempt to share looking at the man in the mirror and looking at the woman in the mirror. I think it's very important because I know you have many women listeners, that things like longevity, health span and so on. Strength span are equally as important for ladies as they are for guys. So that's why the book covers have men and women on them. But the tighter title is Kaboomer. And where did Kaboomer come from? Well, it came from a knock knock joke that I came up with, knock knock, Who's there a baby boomer and a kaboomer baby in her boomer and a kaboomer who a baby boomer that takes two pills at a time and kaboomer that takes two steps at a time. So in my own journey that I shared from my kind of ashes of injury and post have and so on, I realized that mobility, attitude and confidence were ways to get past life's hurdles and maybe make the world a little bit better placed. My own operating system is one built on trust. And you mentioned my service background. I do like to serve others. So I thought that Kaboomer would inspire people to be skeptical when they go to the doctor and he or she says, take this. And my question is, what happened before modern medicine said take this? Well, we did natural things things. Now I know your background is you found many ways to do things naturally, organically, spiritually to offset the need for polypharmacy. So polypharmacy and injury were drivers for Kaboomer. And again it's the inspiration to move and to be positive instead of resorting to pills and things that don't serve us. Well, so that was the inspiration.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, thank you. You know, sometimes we need to take you know, there is a positive part of an alligathic allopathic medicine. Like I had pneumonia and I took some pills and I got better in three days, just like my physician told me. And I got operated.
Speaker 6: On for.
Speaker 5: Kidney growths and that saved my life. And I had an emergency appendectomy and I had to take believe it or not, cipro afterwards. So sometimes you need you know, there has to be in my opinion and I probably yours also, there needs to be a balance. We don't always need to go to the medicine cabinet. First, I think if we start by taking care of ourselves, we'll be in a better position to make the right choices when that happens, because when we go to the doctor, it's like when you bring your car to the mechanic. They find stuff and they try to fix it, but they don't really tell you much about maintaining your vehicle. And in this case, our vehicle is our physical body. So when it comes to aging, David, what do you think are the biggest myths that people still believe that aren't necessarily true, including working on yourself and looking for the natural solutions.
Speaker 6: First, boy, we have inherited things, haven't we since our parents? You know, our dad's probably had one job in a gold watch. Now our life has certainly changed, so much has changed and hopefully for the better. But what is aging? Well, we're born with a disease called aging, aren't we, and people people dread aging is if it's something that is to be fended off and not proactively addressed, and I think that is great. Yet now we fine things like wellness maxing. You hear all these compound words like wellness maxing. So people are going to do sauna, they're going to do led, they're going to do this, they're going to do that, and what guess what? They forget the basics. They forget the simple yet hard things of living well. And so it's frantic. It's good for Madison Avenue, I know that was in your background. It's good for marketing. Yet it's not good for us to be scattered with all these sexy draws to make us better. What we really need is to sweat, to breathe, to eat well, and just be comfortable about moving and moving heavy things. I actually well, I talked about a word like wellness or max wellness, but I invented a word too, called glothic. I think you may remember Gilligan's Island, the comedy show that had to come run on black and white TV. Well, supposedly that was about of an original sins. But the two original sins that I talk about in both of my books in a third book coming up are gluttony and sloth. And I agree, I'm a kindred kaboomer like you. I say, let's go as far as we can until the crisis happens, until the appendix says, WHOA no moss? Or you know, our system is amazingly, amazingly good. I call it a sick care system. I apologize to any medical people in your listeners that I think that's not just We're very, very good when we have a problem to be dealt with in emergency department or in things that have become you know, cancer for instance. One of my kryptonizes, if I may do a quick digression, I just had another mose surgery. I am a Northern European background, and I visited dermatologists too much. And yet the dermatologist is probably keeping me alive because I've had melanoma a couple times and you've had incidents. So for cases like that, absolutely positively, our system is good at treating things. Yet why are we dying? Why do American males only live an average Now this is one hundred and fifty some million American males, But why are we living to seventy seven? Well? Heart disease, suicide, opioids, luckily, opioids, COVID nineteen and suicides are dropping. Cancer the megatrends are cancers he used to be creating, particularly at younger ages. But what isn't changing heart disease. We're not smoking, we're not eating as much red meat, and yet we're still dying prematurely from heart disease. So sorry it take so long to circle back to what do I think about aging? The myth is that we're in the hands of modern medicine. No, we should be self focused, proactively leaning toward doing things to gain up to seven to twelve extra vital years in our health span. And I believe doing things that you're doing. I say, one marathon is wonderful. Everyone should experience forty two kilometers. Everyone should do it once, no matter how fast or how slow. But I wouldn't do it every day. Why. Inflammation is the number one problem that we have, and related to that is oxidation. But whether you're talking about diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and metabolic syndrome, we have a problem that our lifestyles, including our diet, are inflaming us. And the myth is that medicine is going to take care of something that we should be taking care of. Ourselves. So I think that's myth number one. Myth number two, Well, it's inevitable that you're going to end up as a shriveled old man like Artie Johnson on the Old Show laughing. You know he fell off the bicycle and all that doesn't have to be. We know that our bodies and I call it the said principal, specific adaptations to imposed demands. So as I said I, and as I know you do, Robert, you imposed general demands not too much, not too little on your body by moving, by breathing, by eating to live. I'm sorry, Yeah, eating to live, not living to eat as a glutton. So glothic behavior is sending us to a grady too early. And the myth is it has to happen that way. And answer is no, we're smart enough technology, medicine and our newfound knowledge in the human body. Is that at seventy you're just getting started. Yes, you're in your third act. I have a four bearer named Ralph Waldo Emerson pretty good order like to row like I did. A Harvard guy, not a Villanova guy, but a Harvard guy, and he called it the felicities of age. We're at a stage with the benefit of hindsight and experience that we can do things smarter. Boy, wouldn't I like to be a kindergarten kid again with what I know now? And wouldn't I like to be forty something in middle age with all the stresses in middle age with what I know now? So that's like why you share things, and I try to share things.
Speaker 5: Okay. My special guest on today's Guys Guys Radio is the amazing writer and fitness coach and certified Master trainer David Emerson Frost. And here's the two books again, Kaboomer and Strong to say, so, do you have an emphasis in your work about stamina stamininity? You actually call it in a health and Healthy agy aging and you also get into a seven L element action plan, which is seven s' strength, stamina, stretching, sustenance, sleep, stress. But let me let's start a little bit with a talk about stamina. My point where I'm coming from is, David and forgive me, is that for some of the people, we're a little bit over seventy and we can still we have the capacity to still go out there and do a lot of the things we did before. I don't run marathons anymore. I have a very close friend, he's my age. He still runs marathons. Good for him. I guess what I'm getting at is, what do you say to people who know they can't do exactly what you did before, But you do have that physically. You may not be as strong, and you may not have as much stamina, but you have that kind of ring savvy. You have that experience that can help you train smarter. Talk to us about the importance of that. So our listeners out there who are of the boomer age aren't thinking, well, I'm not strong like these guys. I can't do that. I had a knee replacement or a hip replacement.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're all damaged goods. And I know you mentioned the noun tune up earlier, but if we're working on little tune ups all the time, we're in better shape. If the big tuneup happens from injury or a condition like cancer. But why did people with strong grips not die from COVID because they had strong grips? Hey, Dave, what is a strong grip? It means you're working on it to get stronger. So we're talking about progress, not perfection, but with stamina. So you mentioned the seven sas and thank you for that. Robert. The foundation of our physical bank is stamina, meaning our cardio, respiratory ar cardiovascular system. And yes, I cannot run a marathon under three hours like I used to today, nor do I want to. I've done my marathons. So we adapt our dulce vita. I call it that, And of course I made up an acronym VITA, which means volume, intensity, tempo, and adaptation. So we're going to watch our volume because training too hard for too long is inflammatory. We're going to watch our intensity because our joints and our muscles may be more prone to injury. How many pickable player friends of yours are injured? How many golfers are injured? Right? They go out as weekend warriors because, as you shared, they're not what they used to be. God blessed Toby Keith. I miss them because it's great song. I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was. As we adapt, we can do impressive things. I with some of my crazy buddies are going to set, hopefully set a world record for a continuous twenty four hour row this weekend.
Speaker 5: Amazing.
Speaker 6: Well, we'll find out. But the answer is it's doable. But we're not doing it to the point a red zone of killing ourselves. We're doing to get to have fun, to be social, to do something together. Now, in this case, it could have been mixed, and if we did, we opened it to women as well as guys. But the guys with the crazy ones, the guys, guys that are going to do something epic. And I know this is PG, but this is the bottle that we're going to open up.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 5: I love it it.
Speaker 6: So not that we should talk about drinking or whatever. We're going to open the bottle to celebrate epic stuff. So the fact is stamming up, so we're going to go slower. In fact, we shouldn't do much more than conversational what we call zone two. This is if you can maintain an effort like a hawk, a walk, i'm sorry, walk, rocking, bicycling or those types of things, and you maintain it for a long period of time, that's in our DNA. That's how we hunted down the gazelle. The gazelle on the pompous was faster than us. We just outlasted them. So here we are at the age of seventy. You know the Social Security Administration, Robert says, we're going to be dead in ten years. Well, I beg to differ because we're going to outlast them, right, We're going to out think them, out last and outplay them. But stamina is the foundation, and how do you do it. There's a fancy term called metabolic hours that you should do each week. Not too much, not too high in in tensity. That's bad for you, it's inflammatory, and yet you do want to go to sweat. The important thing about stamina. The magic number right now is forty five minutes of general activity to generate glistening for the ladies or sweat for the guys. With that, some amazing things happen to our hormonal systems. The rebuild, repair, restore the parasympathetic nerves that get you excited about feed and restore instead of fight or flight. Not a problem with American life is we're frenetic and it's fight or flight all the time. Right, you got a deadline, there's a war going on, la la la. But if we breathe, if we focus on the types of things that you're doing so very well. Hopefully we can realize that the song's going to come up tomorrow, and tomorrow is going to be a good day, and I'm going to sweat gently for at least forty five minutes six days a week. All right.
Speaker 5: You know you do rowing, and I think that's like one of the most perfect sports and activities because you're just using muscle, you're breathing, it's great for stamina, it's just overall, it's just a wonderful activity. My question is, David, what's your position on like free weights. I used to lift weights all the time and I loved it, and now I don't really want to go push iron. I do the Dan Millman Peaceful Warrior workout every day. I play pickleball, I swim. I'm in a senior softball league, which is a lot tougher than you might think it is. These guys are hardcore and I do a lot of pushups, I have been doing them since I'm twelve years old, and a lot of stretching and that seems to feel. I use my body weight, but I'm not going to free weights. What's your And that's just me. There's a lot of guys my rage, who are out there pumping iron and they look great? And what's your position on free weights?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you brought up a good point. The goat right Tom Brady, who is not our agent. Yeah, he's known as the greatest of all time as a quarterback in mark he sport of football. He did not use either closed or open circuit weights. He used resistance bands for what he did for his particular quickness and his and of course the muscle between his ears is really important, like it is for you and me and all our boomer and kaboomer friends. But my feeling is to back up a little. Moving heavy stuff is good medicine. Now, you're a pretty big guy. You're not a you know, you're not a spring chicken, but you're a fitt spring chicken. If you do a pull up, that's resistant effort. That's moving your joints, although you could also get benefit from not moving an isometric exercise. But body weight, it's always with us, right, So prisoners can get pretty buff and pretty fit body weight. So I say heavy stuff in your activities of daily life. And yet if it's working for you to do bands and to do sports and things, we want to avoid a dreaded term called sarcopenia. That's the loss of flesh, which can be as much as one percent per year after the age of thirty. How do we avoid that. We don't avoid it, but we can change the trajectory. The myth is that you're going to be old and shriveled by age seventy, and that is false because we respond to appropriate, imposed demands that such as you do. Some people do close circuit, you know. I always say that if you want to, you know, with the sun coming out in San Diego, suns out, guns out. Yeah, you can make your delts and your biceps look really good by doing machines at the big box gym or at home. But I say with freeways you tend to move more joints, and that really is activities of daily life. So like you move many joints in pick up ball, you're moving in all three body planes. That's exciting, it's social and it's not it's not fixed like what the big box gyms get rich on. Right, those machines, you know, either sound clanking or are just using their isolated exercises. With free weights, you tend to do a whole body or complex exercises which are much better for you. A battle rope or a slam ball is every bit as good as we get older as it is trying to press a heavy stack of a bench press. So the answer is as far as metal, Hey, where's most metal come from? China? What do we have problems with right now? Tariffs? So it costs more to get heavy metal anyway. But you can figure out all kinds of clever things to use resistance bands or body weights. So I know that's a mixed answer. The answer is motion resistant motion, and it doesn't have to be rogue very expensive weight sets. It can be either volume. More push ups you could do. You could do pipe position push ups. You could do variations of a push up that work the muscles a little bit differently, but still use more ultiple joints. So complex actions such as you do and you advocate, I say yes, might include free weights. I stay away from fixed machines. Number one and number two. The most important resistance exercise is one you can stick with right so you sticking with it, it's working for you. And that's the key I think to your listeners and viewers is find something move stuff. If it's body weight great. If it's moving heavier stuff, great, don't get injured, but do it often. Now for us, I think body weight you can do almost every day. But if you are lifting weights, I get pretty sore, so I say just twice a week. Under fifty you can probably do it three times a week. But for us, get sore, rebuild, restore, get your protein, get your sleep, get your hydration back at it. So to avoid sarcopedia, however, you do it with body weight, lots of repetitions, changing, using geometry or trigonometry to help you with body weight exercises. Just do it, yeah, the Nike phrase, sorry, just do it.
Speaker 5: David Emerson Frost two books, Kaboomer and the g X book Strong to Save your gen X Imperative to die harder and later. One of the things you talk about is that that's important, which I completely agree with, is the importance of stability. What are talk to us about that and what are some of the things people can do to improve that, Because once you lose your stability and be able your ability to stand on one foot or whatever, that's a slippery slope that you start getting on and you really want to be able to have that balance.
Speaker 6: Oh absolutely, and the the awful after for too many of our peers. Robert is one of out of every three of us falls each year. And I have not heard anyone say there's something good that happens from from going to the pit the emergency department for a bruise a break. Nothing good happens if a hip is broke, which can be more of an issue for the ladies with osteopenia, which is another reasons to do to resistance exercise, by the way, because your bone matrix gets strengthened with resistance exercise. But stability, it's a fact, This is a true fact, and I can get the sources. But we tend to trip at our age as much as kids do. We stub our toe, we you know, a little stumble. But do kids fall rarely? Do older people fall? Yes? Why because we don't practice being kid like. If we do things with our eyes closed, if we've rub our belly and pat our head like we used to watch on Romper Room. We're trying to retrain our spatial awareness A big word and I don't want to spring too many big words, but proprioception is spatial awareness. So you mentioned standing on one leg standing on a yoga pad, doing things that you haven't done for a while, probably unless you're a yogi or a pilates instructor. These are things that will help you retrain your neuromuscular system to function in space, even with an eye closed, even on one leg, even doing it. One of the best exercises body weight or resistance just a single leg deadlift. Can you slowly lean over and raise your body without falling? And if you can, you're well on your way to being able to recover from a fall. And oh, by the way, by doing resistance exercise, if you did happen to fall, you've got muscle to cushion your joints, so hopefully you have a muscle bruise and not a not a broken limb. So stability is one of those seven s is in my seven s framework, which is so important for everyone. But as we age, nothing good happens when you've got plaster on your leg on those kinds of things. So how much time of an investment there is, There is no better investment in your time and practice stability exercises. Maybe not in the shower, maybe not in the bathtub, because that's the most dangerous room in the house, right, but out of doors barefoot. Barefoot is a good good way to work towards stability. The most important digit in stability is the great toe. If your toes are nimble, you know, oftentimes folks tend to have toes that look like that I'm showing with my hand. They bend and they curl and they're not flexible. Guess what happens. Your gait is impacted. So I know this is a long answer, but there are two very formal and credible tests that everybody should be aware of. One is called the Bird Balance scale. It's so scoring you can do it yourself. And the other is the functional gait assessment. And these are two extraordinarily powerful things to check every once in a while. Can you walk and turn around quickly without stumbling? Can you step over obstacles? Can you go upstairs sideways or backwards safely? Those kinds of things. But walking in a straight line with a total heel and doing it with your eyes closed. But if you have thirty seconds, just stay on one leg with your eyes closed and see how you do. That's how long it takes thirty seconds a day to improve your spatial awareness, to avoid hopefully avoid falls and keep your muscle mass up so if you did happen to trip and fall, you wouldn't break something.
Speaker 5: Amazing, amazing, David. Another thing that came up often is that you talk about the heart disease and that type of issue that a lot of us seniors have. Stress, lots of stress, lots of anger for older people, particularly older guys, and even some loneliness. What is your perspective on You mentioned chigong in the book, but you don't mention meditation or any of those type of practices. What is your perspective on how to kind of de stress? Because before we even obviously, before we get out there and start really challenging ourselves physically, and I'm gonna if you will, we need to make sure that we're kind of got to some of that anger out of us.
Speaker 6: We can't perform our best if we're stressed. Ken Well, you have to be literally in the zone. We have to be chill, We have to breathe, so sleep, breath and just being what I call mind body awareness. There's spirituality, there's the aspect of being in tune with yourself so that you can perform better. But I am totally on board. What you just shared, Robert, is that if you're stressed, you can't perform number one. And if you're stressed that I word inflammation, or what some people are calling inflammating, is killing a slowly drip drip drip with leading the hypertension, leading to adult diabetes, leaving the metabolic syndrome. It is now inflammation. We want it from exercise. We don't want it from chronic stress of the workplace, of the family life, or the world events. We just want to learn how to breathe, to let things go. I did mention the Disney song let It Go in the book, because hey, can can I take one minute, one minute and do a box breathing technique that Navy seals use and just feel my heart rate lower and my blood if I had a cuff on when I'm doing that. Share that with us, David, the four by four. There are many other breathing techniques and in fact, one of the best books that I've ever read. Not an easy read, but it's James Nestor's Breath, but the four by four Navy Seals inhale four seconds, hold for four seconds, slowly exhale through the purse slips, so he inhale through the nose, exhale through the purse lips, and then do nothing for the last part of that box. Do it four times. It's actually sixty four seconds, not sixty But if you Aaron Rodgers, the very legendary former New York Jets quarterback, he did that for two minutes, and he was pretty common game conditions, wasn't it? Yes, now you know the mentally who knows, but Aaron Rodgers was a big believer in the power breathing to de stress and to get in the zone. So do if I feel you know, I just had a PayPal uh fintech issue. Somebody somehow figured out how to get into my PayPal account and do fraudulent charges. Did my blood pressure go up? Oh yeah? Did my heart rate go up? Oh yeah? What did I have to remind myself to do? Take a minute, get away from it, you know, but sixty four seconds? I think people would find what a wonderful return on investment. That is, to destress and to work against the development of chronic stress. Was kills It really kills.
Speaker 5: I love it. Uh. Diet and supplements important at our age, of course, important at any age, but now that we're here, we made it. What do we need to do to keep ourselves going and growing, if you will, and thriving. What I find for myself, David, that I don't I don't eat as much. I'm finding that my body is not craving food for the sake of food anymore. Sometimes I want certain flavors, but I don't. My body isn't saying I need more fuel unless I'm doing activities that require more fuel. What's your thoughts on that? And how do you how do you manage that? How you're growing? So you got to be you got to be loading right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So for instance, thank you for asking so for this kind of defining crucible event this weekend, I have to inject ingest another three hundred calories an hour to sustain for my twelve hours in the twenty four. That's a lot of extra calories. Oh yeah, But you know when you and I were running marathons slightly younger and the gentleman who still does that's a terrible way to lose one pound of body fat. It's a terrible way to lose one pound, not water weight, but fat. So as we get older, we tend our metabolism drops or our natural need to eat extra calories. Both macros and micros lessons a little. But we have to be careful, don't we what drives our metabolism, muscle. If we lose our muscle, we eat less because we don't need to fuel the muscle, but we don't build our metabolism. So it can be a vicious circle. And yet, if your body fat is low, and if you can perform your activities of daily life better than your peers, you've won high five, You've won Okay. So yeah, as we get older, we tend. We may you know, our waist to hip ratio may change. And yet the key is the metabolism is lowering because our heart rate, you know that kind of thing. And we don't train quite as hard, but we can make it up by enjoying what we do. And again, we're looking not to be an Olympic champion in law eight or to go into space like those four heroes that just landed safely last week on Artemis two. By the way, the only way that you can increase your longevity is to increase the length of your telomeres at the cellular level or go into space. But bad things happen when you go into space.
Speaker 5: But the benefit of our audience, what are telomeres and why are they?
Speaker 6: Oh? Sorry, telomeres in Layman's terms for me are the little caps of your shoelaces at the end of the DNA strands, and the longer they are, the less they have to in the DNA process split. So there's a lot of training to thought, which I believe in. At the cellular level is that by exercise or going into space, you lengthen the telomeres, and at the cellular level your aging has slowed down. So it's important to remember you and I have calendar years, which we're proud of and hopefully we'll have many more. Really, what it is is fitness years and having longer tellimeres because of what you do, either going into space or exercising, can help you get some of those seven to twelve extra years. So it's the cap on your DNA shoelace.
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 5: Okay? My special guest on Guys Guys Radio, the Amazing One, David Emerson, Frost K Boomer and Strong to Save. Another area that you mentioned is a sleep and I find that maybe it's because I'm in California. Now, when I was in New York, I stayed up late, I got up late, and now I go to bed early and I get up early, but I try to find that window to get solid eight hours every night, and when I do, I feel a lot better. What's your perspective on sleep as we age and the importance of it, and is there any techniques that you want to share.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, thank you. That's a very powerful and loaded thing to talk about. I wish that some leaders who will go on named would sleep more and not beam, not be tweeting at two in the morning. Right. There is nothing more restorative, There is nothing more anti inflammatory. There is nothing more important than restored to sleep. In fact, to Boomer, I called it mimicking Morpheus, and morpheus is from the same word as morphine. By the way, So with restore to sleep, your brain and your body are generating happy hormones serotonin, dopamine, and then when you wake up in the morning you give your better half a hug than the oxytocin has suppressed cortisol. So the happy hormones are rising, the bad hormone, cortisol is dropping, and that is related to sleep. There's hundreds and hundreds of very powerful biochemical reactions that happen when we let our minds sleep. And oh, by the way, because our minds are unique, they don't have a lymph system, they have their own drainage system. But if you don't sleep, the toxins are the byproducts of work are building up. So without sleep, you're not functioning as well. And for you, it's eight hours. For me, I say, if I chronotype is a fancy word for whether you're a morning lark or a nighthawk or or third bird, whatever it is. If you, if you're getting up without an alarm and you get out feeling rested, not brain fog, that's probably the right amount of sleep for you to restore your functions. I also talk about X factors in relation to sleep and other things. I have a device on my ring finger is that it's an RROR ring and I've warned it for four years. And this thing for the ladies that are pre menopausal, it helps them plan their month based on monthly cycles. But this ring told me that I had shingles before I had shingles. This ring, this ring told me based on the biometrics, heart rate, respiration, pulse rate, heart rate variability. I was in Ireland with my wife on a wonderful trip, and it said, hey, dude, something's wrong. This is the feedback every day was for two days was something's wrong with your body? Guess what? COVID COVID nineteen. Now. Ireland is a great place anyway, but it's a great place to have COVID. But it's also good to know because if you know it early, then you can take a reaction. You can respond to it better than waiting for the cytokine storm. But back to sleep. You know, if I could talk about fitness devices, which is part of this wellness maxing that we hear about. Yes I have a fitness watch, Yes I have a ring, but it can't do the work for me, and it can't sleep for me. But you know the problem with many of these watches, they're charging at night, so you're not getting biofeedback the next morning that says how good your sleep was. And that's why a lot of people are looking at either longer batteries for a while watch or rings that you keep on at night. So for me, it tends to be six hours and forty two minutes over these four years. I'm semi retired and failing retirement. But I don't need an alarm. I get up when I get up. It it tends weird creatures of habit like you are. And for you it's working. You know, when you get up and walk on the beach and you do your peaceful warrior every day, that's a routine and habits. Successful habits are so important, aren't they. But one of the most powerful habits is sleep. If you pull an all nighter like we used to do in college at Villanova, at the Naval Academy or other places, Notre Dame or whatever. If you pull an all night or that's the same as being legally drunk. That's what it does to your brain and your body. It's not healthy. So golly, thank you for asking that loaded question. I hope I gave some responses to share, sleep, restore to sleep, and mimicking Morpheus is a wonderful way to spend a quarter or a third of your adult life.
Speaker 5: Okay, good answer, David. You touch on some masculine like sexuality capabilities as we age, and every guy out there has, you know, looked in the mirror and looked into the distance and realize that sometimes it's not exactly the way it used to be, but it can be really good. What are some of your tips based on your books in terms of how men can kind of keep themselves in a good place for their sexual experiences.
Speaker 6: Yeah, great question, And I did not invent the terms exercise. Apparently a New York gym owner did. I forget the gentleman's name, but it's in strong to Save. But this gentleman found that some core exercises and some strength exercises and doing moves like the anaconda. That sounds rather provocative, but doing those things did help you exercise when the lights are dim, you know, if you will horizontal exercises or wrapping exercises, but not you know, be tongue and cheap. But exercise is part of why we were on the planet, right. We were on the planet to procreate, and then after you approcreate and become a grandparent, your life is done, right, that's the old thinking. But can you procreate for longer? Well, Picasso, did you know? And so what leads to that? Well, physiology. Our pelvic floors with gravity and age tend to not be tuned up, don't they? And for the guys, the pelvic floor could be incontinence, it could be waking up too many times to interrupt your sleep, or it could be perhaps some of the things you hear about with ED dysfunctions. But you know some of that is a lot of it is related to blood flow. So how do we stimulate blood flow? Well, let's exercise, and let's think about core exercises that go to the eurogeno zones. And you could talk push ups. You're a push up guy. I do push ups and I guess what they do. They work your core and they stimulate blood flow their natural herbs. To go back from Western techniques with pills and things like that, let's examine what people have done for centuries. They've taken fenigreek, they've taken natural things that have helped blood flow, and it's just you know, to take a deep breath and people our age Kaboomers should if we have the time, research a little to find out are there natural and affordable techniques instead of pills, and you know, blah bla blah blah.
Speaker 5: Perfect, David, this has been powerful stuff. Not just talking about living longer, you're talking about living stronger with purpose and intention. So, guys, if you're listening and thinking it's too late to step it up, David's message, David's message is clear, it's not. You can rebuild, you can reclaim your strength, and you can redefine what the second half of your life is going to look like. David Frost. David Emerson Frost, tell everybody real quick where they can find out more about you and get your books social media.
Speaker 6: David Emerson Frost. And my main website is well Past forty and that's spelled out fo rt y dot org. And if you have any veterans listening, if they like a copy of either book, they can get in touch with me at davidwellpassfarty dot com and I'd be happy to send an electronic version because we certainly appreciate folks that have that are in harm's way, serving our country and hopefully still thriving into their nineties.
Speaker 5: Fantastic, David Emerson Frost. Everybody, thanks David.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Robert so much. Wonderful.
Speaker 4: It's guys guy radio.
Speaker 5: Okay, A fascinating conversation with my special guest today, David Emerson Frost, a fellow San Diegan who also comes from New Jersey all about how you can take care of yourself to remain as vital as possible. And you see you, guys. You know, folks, if you think about it, Let's say you retire for whatever reason at age sixty, if you really take good care of yourself and you've been kind of dealt the right cards health wise, let's say you live till at least ninety. That's one third. That's another third of your life. Think about the freedom you have in those years and the things you can do to take care of yourself and to live and to thrive. And that's what we talked about today on Guys Guys Radio. And I think the main takeaway is you have to make the right choices every day. You can't give up. You have to stay strong, you have to be passionate and knowing that you can't necessarily do everything the way you did thirty years ago, there's still things you can do. There's still choices you can make to keep yourself fit, vital and strong minded and alert well throughout your senior years. So stay passionate, stay true, and stay well. Okay, Guys Guys Radio, We're here for you each and every week, beginning on Wednesday evenings at eight pm Pacific time on CACAA Radio in southern California one oh six point five FM ten fifty am. The show rebroadcasts Saturdays at eight pm and Sunday at seven pm, so three nights a week in primetime on terrestrial radio KCAA in Southern California. You can listen live, you can stream, you can download, because they have an app, they're online, you can go through their website wherever you want to consume the show. Speaking of which, our podcast of Guys Guys Radio is a it's a global phenomenon. We're available in over one hundred countries where we've been downloaded. We're on all the major platforms, Apple, Audible, iHeart, Spotify. The list goes on and on, so wherever you consume your podcast, you should be able to find Guys Guys Radio. If you like to watch the show, you want to watch the interviews with my special guests each and every week, go to Guys Guys Radio on YouTube and Rumble and you can simply watch the video portion of the show. We're also on UK Health three Radio, where I'm a featured presenter four times weekly on the world's largest health talk station around the globe. It's called UK Health Radio. I'm on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and on demand. So what you have to do is it's digital, So just go on your computer, on your phone, go to the website and you'll find UK Health Radio and Guys Guys Radio. I also write a column for UK Health Radio's digital Health Triangle magazine, which is a monthly publication that's digital. I write a column it's called Aging is a Choice. It's my take on the what I consider a flawed narrative that our culture has given us about aging, where they say, well, you're at this age, you're supposed to do this and be that and feel this way, and it goes on throughout your life. And I don't think it necessarily has to be that way. I think people have a lot more opportunities, a lot more power, a lot more freedom that they give themselves credit for, and aging is a big part of that and how we handle manage aging. And I believe that aging is a choice, and that is the name of the column I write monthly for them. I've done over twenty in the series so far. There's a lot more to come now, a lot of Those articles also show up on my website, Robert manny M a n NI dot com. I've got over a three hundred blog posts about life, love, the pursuit of happiness, all the big topics we cover here on Guys Guys Radio every week. And while you're there on my website, you can download three free chapters of my novel, The Guys Guys Guide to Love, which is really the source material for everything Guys Guy. It's about two guys in advertising competing for love, sex, power, and money. It's been called the men's successor to Sex and the City by iconic author Dan Wakefield, and it's a sexy romp through the fast moving, high stake world of Madison Avenue advertising. It's fast, it's fun, it's frothy, it's sexy. I think you'll enjoy it again. Three free chapters and then you can pick up the physical copy if you're digging it, or the digital copy. So what do we do here on Guys Guys Radio. We're here for you every week to help you live your best life. I've interviewed seven hundred and fifty plus guests from all areas of life. These are thought leaders from all around the Globe, whether it be celebrity, sports, New York Times bestselling authors, metaphysical teachers, alternative health, diet, fitness, all kinds of stuff to help you live your best life. You learn, I learn, We learn together. I qualify the guests. They have to be able to be entertaining and bring some new information for us to consider. And I ask the questions that I think you'd want me to ask these guests. So thanks for your support for Guys Guys Radio. If you enjoy the guests and content I bring you each and every week, please subscribe to our platforms and channels. Thank you for listening to Guys Guys Radio. We'll be back next week with a brand new episode. And until then, like I always say, Guys Guys finished.
Speaker 1: First NBC News on CACAA Lomel sponsored by Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two, protecting the Future of Working Families Teamsters nineteen thirty two, dot Org.
Speaker 7: NBC News Radio. I'm Jim Rupert, President Trump revealing the tales of a phone conversation he had with Russian President Vladimir Putin. He says Putin offered to help end the war with Iran, specifically helping the US retrieve Iran's enriched uranium. Trump said he told Putin he can help by any of the Ukraine war. The Federal Reserve is leaving interest rates unchanged, and what's likely to be his last press event as FED chair, Jerome Powell said recent economic activity is expanding at a solid pace, but warns the war with Iran has led to a lot of econom uncertainty. Meanwhile, poll says he will continue to serve as FED governor after his term as chair expires May fifteen.
Speaker 6: I plan to keep a low profile as a governor. There's only ever one chair of the Federal Reserve Board.
Speaker 5: When Kevin worsh is confirmed and sworn in, he will be that chair.
Speaker 7: It's the third time the FED has left interest rates unchanged. The Louisiana congressional map has been struck down by the Supreme Court. The map included a second majority black congressional district. The case was centered around how much race can be considered when lawmakers reach draw districts. Black voters sued the state in twenty twenty two after the state legislature created a new congressional map after the twenty twenty census that included just one black majority district. NBC's Gary Grumbach reports it was a six to three decision, with Justice Alito writing the majority opinion.
Speaker 8: Trsice Kagan, who was joined by the other liberal justices on the court, was not happy. She wrote, in part quote, I dissent because the Court's decision will set back the foundational right Congress granted of racial quality and electoral opportunity.
Speaker 7: Black residents make up around a third of Louisiana's population, Authority say. The alleged gunman at the White House correspondence dinner took a mirror selfie just before this Saturday shooting. According to the Department of Justice, Cole Allen took the photo roughly a half hour before the incident. That photo included in a memorandum supporting pretrial detention. Jim Roop NBC News Radio.
Speaker 9: Located in the heart of San Bernardino, California, the Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two Training Center is designed to train workers for high demand, good paying jobs and various industries throughout the Inland Empire. If you want a pathway to a high paying job and the respect that comes with a union contract, visit nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter Dot org to enroll today That's nineteen thirty two trainingcenter dot org.
Speaker 10: For KCAA ten fifty AM NBC News Radio an Express one of six point five FM. MetroLink's reduced weekday schedule is being extended to address reliable issues stemming from mechanical challenges and supply chain delays. The modification was initially for seven weeks, but will now continue for the foreseeable future. Electric vehicle manufacturer Rivian is expanding its operation in Mead Valley. A forty nine thousand square foot plant adjacent to the two fifteen Freeway will be dedicated to sales, service, maintenance, and charging of electric vehicles. The Redland City Council has cleared way for the construction of the Marketplace, a Whole Food's anchored retail development on an eight acre site on Lagonia Avenue at Tennessee Street. It'll be situated in one of North Redland's fastest growing residential areas. Free bus rides are being offered for anyone eighteen or hunger on RTA buses through the end of the year. All that is required is a valid RTA Youth ID, school ID or proof of age when boarding the Riverside County Department of Waste Resources will host a free home composting workshop for the public on Saturday, May second, from nine am to one pm at their main office located on Frederick Street in Marina Valley. Learn how to turn organic materials like yard trimmings and food scraps into nutrient rich soils through various composting methods. Free composting materials will be available for collection before, during, and after the class. Shovels will be provided, but participants must bring their own buckets and or bags to collect material. For NBC News Radio KCAA ten fifty AM and Express one oh six point five FM, I'm Lillian Vasquez and Europe to date KCAA keeping California alert and aware.
Speaker 11: This segments buy our friends at the All News Sammy's Restaurant. Sammy's is now open in Kalamesa at Exit eighty eight off the ten Freeway, next to the Jack in the Box in the former Bob's Big Boy Restaurant. Not to name drop, but Sammy's in the former Bob's is a lot like Norms. It has an extensive menu with multiple restaurants in royalto in places like Upland and Ranchukumonga. Sammy's is a great place to dine. Their menu is very similar with their American trio of delicious steak, shrimp and chicken and an expansive menu. You won't go hungry and you won't go broke. At Sammy's. You can come meet Sammy and his family. Sammy was a chief cook for Norms for years and it shows in his menu. Sammy's is a great place to meet the family, friends or have a community meeting.
Speaker 6: You can ask.
Speaker 11: About their private meeting room available for parties of fifteen or more on a first come, first serve basis. Sammy's is now open from six am to nine pm every day at five point forty Sandal would drive off of Exit eighty eight at the ten Freeway in Kalamesa. Looked for the Big Boy statue. It's still there. We thank Sammy for returning to this station as a loyal sponsor. You can find morn info about Sammy's at Sammy'scafe dot Net. At Sammy'scafe dot net well, you can also find discount coupons to save money. And by the way, Sammy's has free Wi Fi too. Sammy's and Kalamesa Ralto Well one of their other locations are ready to serve you. Sammy's is now open in Kalamesa.
Speaker 12: How you doing this is Gary Garver. In today's society, the majority of people are not getting enough sleep.
Speaker 6: I know I'm not.
Speaker 12: If you're like me and having problems getting a good night's rest, whether it's health or stress related, I have a solution for you.
Speaker 6: South Pacific Sleep Lab.
Speaker 12: South Pacific Sleep Lab will do an evaluation of your sleep pattern and will provide a comprehensive study so you can start getting a RESTful, peaceful not asleep.
Speaker 2: They take all types of.
Speaker 12: Insurance which will cover your cost of the evaluation, and they will even provide transportation to their offices at no cost to you. For more information, contact Tony at three one zero nine nine nine one eight eight seven. That's three one zero nine nine nine one eight eight seven. Tony even stays awake all night, twenty four hours a day, seven days a week, so you can sleep better and rest easy.
Speaker 6: South Pacific Sleep Lab.
Speaker 12: Start feeling better and get in a great night of sleep.
Speaker 6: Today.
Speaker 3: There's never been a better time for men to be whoever they want to be. Yet it's never been less clear who men really are. Guys Guy Radio, starring author Robert Manny, is on Caseyaa every Wednesday at eight pm. Whether it's relationships, sex, wellness, or spirituality, Join Robert as he interviews the experts about how men and women can be at their best. Guys Guy Radio, Better Men, better world.
Speaker 13: Be safe, not sorry, don't drink and dry. Our sponsor is Premium Plumbing Program of the IE. Tired of expensive home war any prices just to be denied, then Premium Plumbing Program is excellent, low cost coverage alternatives. Say Goodbye to home warranty. Sign up today, Membership plans starting at twenty five dollars a month. Mention promo code radio for ten dollars off call nine O nine two nine five one seven sixty three. That's nine O nine two nine five seventeen sixty three. Premium Plumbing Program, Say Goodbye to Home Warranty.
Speaker 14: Outlander is coming to its epic conclusion and you're invited. Joined to treat about Sam Ewan and Matthew B. Roberts on May thirteenth at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles for a special screening and live conversation. See an exclusive sneak peak of the finale before it airs. Become a Pale member now to a lock pre sale. Get first access to the best seats before they're gone, plus twenty five percent off tickets. Be there for Claire and Jamie just days before the finale.
Speaker 3: Tickets are selling out fast. Get your seats now at Paleycenter dot org.
Speaker 2: Key digits lock them in for more information, recreation, and guaranteed fun. Caseyaa ten fifty AMO.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Worker Power