Speaker 1: Welcome to More Outdoors on News Top five sixty k lv I. This is Chester Moore and I'm super excited to have my friend Kevin Hurley. He is vice president of Conservation with the Wild Sheep Foundation, and Wild Sheep Foundation just released the Conservation Impact Document that details their granted aid projects doing all kinds of conservation work for wild sheeap around the country.
Speaker 2: So welcome to the program. Kevin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks, good morning, Chester.
Speaker 1: We were just together it seemed like yesterday, but a couple of weeks ago at this point in Alpine, Texas and then El Paso for sort of one of the highlights of this conservation Impact document the restoration of desert big horns of the Franklin Mountains.
Speaker 3: It was only two weeks ago, but it seems a whole lot longer ago than that. We have a standing joke that as as the sheep world turns, it turns rapidly. I like it. I like it.
Speaker 2: So this program has been something that's.
Speaker 1: Sort of been in the works for a long time where the Franklin Mountains that literally are in the city of El Paso haven't had desert big horns for over one hundred years. A great area to restore populations from Elephant Mountain Wildlife Management Area. But this this was really if a crucial timing on this because of something that hit Texas a few years ago. We're gonna be talking about this and other project. Let's talk about get it out of the way. Micae Plasma ovineumonia. Yeah, let's talk a little bit about that and how that impacts wild cheap.
Speaker 3: That's a mouthful. Michael or m OV is the acronym everybody uses our abbreviation, and so basically it's a respiratory bacterium that the first thing it does is it compromises the little beating hair cecilia in an animal's windpipe, whether it's a human or a bighorn shape or whatever. And so when those sillia, those little hairs are beating up, you know, that's when you know and I could you cough up if we had some cooties and some something we had to get rid of. But MOV tends to compromise those sillia, and so it affects any other pathogens that can get in and into the air way. They don't have that defense mechanism, and so a lot of times, you know when a while like bat does a knee cropsy on a dead big orange sheep, they'll open it up and look at the lungs, and they might refer to the consolidation in the in the lungs as fifteen percent or forty percent or seventy five percent consolidated. And basically what that means is all the fluids and all the junk that goes into the into the lungs, they can't get it out, and so unfortunately those animals sadly die of their own bodily fluids. They basically drowned. And so it's a it's a real issue in wild sheep conservation around the West.
Speaker 1: And it is believed to be the main reason that wild sheep numbers, especially big one populations went down dramatically from the eighteen hundreds until like up to the nineteen fifties before recovery kind of began.
Speaker 3: It is, you know, and if you look at early guestimates and early maps that showed where mountain sheep occurred in the western US and Canada and Mexico prior to eighteen fifty, it was pretty incredible, you know, really widespread distribution. And back then, of course, nobody had any ability to fly or you know, conduct periodic surveys or systematic surveys come up with a population estimate. So there was an early naturalist, Ernest Thompson Thompson Seaton that published a series of books in nineteen twenty eight called The Lives of Game Animals and his Best Guestimate, and that clearly is what it was. He figured there was one and a half to two million big own sheep in the West. Well, you know, nobody can validate that number, and it was the seat of his levi's back then that he made that estimate. But suffice it to say, wild cheap numbers in the western US decreased dramatically, so that by the nineteen fifties there was an estimated fifteen to seventeen thousand left in the Western States. So that's an even if Seaton's estimate of one and a half million was close to correct, that was a ninety nine percent reduction down to fifteen thousand, and so whether it was a ninety eight or a ninety seven or a ninety five percent decline, it was a dramatic decline and reduction in wild sheep numbers and distribution across the West. Prior to what I would call Europeans settlement opening up the West, early mountain and early explorers, railroad crews, all the folks that came west, and with them they brought their livestock. Obviously they needed that and you know, for not only ranching for themselves, but also meat for these railroad crews. And you know, you had to feed an army of hungry railroad workers. And so there was some unlimited hunting. You know, back then, it wasn't hunting, it was subsistence, and so you know, mountain sheep are very tasty, and so there was unregulated take back then. And there were also large predators, you know, that roamed the landscape, and they certainly co evolved with sheep, and they knew how to take a sheep if they could get it. Mountain lions, maybe, coyotes on lambs, golden eagles on lambs, wolves in some places, grizzlies in other places. But with the introduction of domestic livestock, particularly domestic sheep or grazing, you know, these some of these respiratory bacteria are I won't say endemic, but they're they're pretty ubiquitous in domestic sheep, and obviously their industry and their producers deal with their challenges weight gain shipping fever some people call it, but you know, they've been able to manage that in their industry. But my analogy says, similar to some of the pathogens that European settlers brought to Native Americans in the West, smallpox, cholera, things like that that they had no natural resistance to. I think it's pretty analogous to the situation with domestic sheep and whatever pathogen load they brought with them and introduced some of those too naive bighorn sheep in the West.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Texas had got its population back up, Texas being on the eastern fringe of desert big Horn range late eighteen hundreds estimates maybe fifteen hundred to two thousand, and in twenty nineteen it was around fifteen hundred or so. And then we had a disease event. But this disease event seems to be a little bit different because of the cause of the disease. What transferred to them a non indigenous animal called the awdad or the barbary sheep, which was actually stocked in Texas in the nineteen fifties for hunting purposes and this has kind of created a crucial situation for desert big horns.
Speaker 3: It has. And so if you look at the Texas desert big horn numbers through time, you know their numbers and distribution shrenk and so I think, you know, maybe they were pretty much eliminated extra paint from West Texas yep. And then starting maybe in the fifties and sixties, with you know, some captive breeding facilities and some propagation facilities that Texas Parks and Wildlife Department in the Texas Big Own Society and private landowners ranchers in West Texas worked collaboratively to have enough sheep to put back on the landscape. And as you said, between say, just take an arbitrary number of nineteen sixty till twenty nineteen, West Texas had increased its desert big win populations to maybe add or above their historic highs, you know, fifteen hundred and eighteen hundred, whatever the right number was, and now unfortunately it's down around maybe five to six hundred left. And so I think some of the evaluations that have gone on in other Western states and provinces have said, you know that this contact with domestic sheep and then if you get infected big horns coming in contact with naive bighorns. There's also the pathogen transmission risk. But odd AD seemed to be implicated pretty significantly in the West Texas situation. As you said, you know, and we can't we can't criticize folks fifty sixty years ago. They did the best thing, and so TPWD when they brought ODDAD into Texas, I think in Paladero Canyon introduced them there. Well, if they could put that genie back in the bottle now, they probably would. It's you know, that genie's been out for six decades and the numbers I keep here in is maybe there are twenty thousand odd AD in the transpenkos and statewide. I don't know how many.
Speaker 1: When we come back, we'll talk more with Kevin Hurley from the Wild Sheep Foundation about Texas bighorns and more here on More Outdoors on These Talk five sixty klv I. Welcome back to More Outdoors on These Talk five sixty k LVI. This is Chester Moore continuing our conversation with Kevin Hurley from the Wild Sheep Foundation.
Speaker 3: The Wild Cheap Foundation, Texas Biggorns Society, and others have helped fund some research into looking at, well, what pathogens do odd AD carrey and is there a risk there? And so some work at Texas A and M by doctor Walt Cook, a longtime colleague of mine from when his days in Wyoming when I worked for Wyoming Game and Fish, and his graduate student Logan Thomas. They looked at Colemingland situations where they had some odd Ad and some desert bighorn in captivity and not right on top of each other, but separated. Well, it seems like they shared a water source, maybe there was a creek or some drainage that went through. And so a lot of work since then looking at is that the athogen transfer passway, is it through water is whatever? But the thing with thought ad kind of like domestic sheep. Maybe they've had MV or similar pathogens and they've adapted to them, so it's present, but it doesn't really, you know, crush their populations. But when that's introduced to a naive population of desert big ones, say it Black Gap or somewhere in Texas, yeah, boom, things you know start tipping over. And so it's been tragic to watch the climb back to add or above historic numbers, and then, like you said, in the last five years, numbers have dropped like a rock from historic highs down to five hundred or fewer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is where the Wild Cheap Foundation, Texas Big Horns Society, collaborating the Texas Parks and Wildlife and other groups we're going to talk about come together. Elephant Mountain, Wildlife and an instrument area in your alpine is sort of the epicenter of the Texas Desert Big One program.
Speaker 2: It was believed that it's a clean herd in terms.
Speaker 1: Of disease, and there was going to capture happened two weeks ago to take animals from there and transfer them into the Franklin Mountains in El Paso, which Parks and Wallace says are odd Dad free. But let's talk now about what wild Sheet Foundation does, what kind of support I know, financially, but otherwise, how does wild Sheet Foundation get involved in a project like this.
Speaker 3: Well, let me get to that in a second. But one thing I do want to note in the Texas scenario is Elephant Mountain has been like you said, these sources of the go to population for TPWD and TBS and others to work on transplants, and so I always call my brother from a different mother. But Clay Brewer, he was the head of the there's a bigg Round program for TPWD in West Texas for long time, and so he and I worked on a collaborative collection of all the transplant information in the Western States and provinces. Started that in nineteen ninety six and Clai finished it in twenty fifteen. It's a really cool document that says where have we moved sheep? And so we did a jurisdictional or jurisdiction by jurisdiction, we said what did you get from somewhere else? What did you give away in terms of sheep to elsewhere, and what did you do at home? So we've got a really good publication printed in twenty fifteen, and as soon as it was printed it became obsolete because of continuing transports. But as we drove from Olpaso to Alpine, I had a couple guys with me. We'll talk about in a minute, but I had them. I printed some pages for them, and basically, in Texas's history up till twenty fifteen, there had been twenty imports of desert sheep totally fifty one head from Arizona, Nevada, Utah, different source pots, populations to help Texas get back on their feet. And then I think there were about thirty one transplants done within Texas again to restore sheep to those historic habitats that were still suitable. And so in aggregate, I think fifty one transplants that Texas was involved with moved about eight hundred or so sheep over a long period of time forty years or so. So but that's you know, Texas has a good record. And with Texas being ninety seven percent private land, you know, large landowners, big ranches there, it had to be collaborative and so TPWD and Texas Big Owners Society, Clay Brewer when he was doing it, and Freila and Hernandez now you know, got to work with those private landowners, good relations, try and get this done. But in this case, with Franklin Mountains being a state park, it was within Texas Parks and wildlifees umbrella so to speak. So their Wildlife Division work with the parks folks and got this transplant set up. It was a long time coming due to some challenges, but anyway, that's just an example of a really well designed long term It seems like it takes forever to get to where you release the sheep out the back of a trailer, but it was a good example of a collaborative project involving a lot of moving parts. And so the Wild Cheap Foundation we've had a history of that. We're coming up on our forty eighth year of existence. We've actually been in existence since nineteen seventy four, but we were incorporated in nineteen seventy seven, So we're coming up on our forty eighth convention here in Reno in mid January of twenty five. But you know, our mission and our motto, our purpose is all about putting and keeping more wild sheep on the mountain. That's what we're all about. And so annually we get a cavalcade of requests for conservation projects. It might be water development, it might be prescribed burning, it might be noxious weed treatments. It might be telemetry, coloring, disease surveillance, land protection, land acquisition easements, you name it. There's a whole spectrum of kinds of conservation projects that we receive every July, and then we spend much of July excuse me much of August reviewing those and then advancing recommendations to our Board of Directors for approval. And so by August twenty ninth of this year, we had twenty two projects totally one point six million dollars that were approved by our board and as involved not only the state and provincial Fish and Wildlife agencies, might be federal land management agencies like the Bord Service or the Bureau of Land Management. It might be university researchers. It might be consultants, it might be tribes, it might be First Nations in Canada. Again, a whole spectrum of the kind of projects that we fund, and you know they're not all trap and transplant, sure, a lot of other different categories. And so this is just a great example of a project that maybe the biggest one that Wild Chief Foundation ever committed to, lightly over three hundred thousand dollars, and we had great partnerships that helped us meet that obligation.
Speaker 2: Sure, let's talk about those.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about some of those partners because I got to meet a few of those guys out there, representatives and it's always exciting to see the money come in for a project, but also kind of see the heart behind it and what these different partners want to bring to the table.
Speaker 3: Well exactly. You know a lot of people it's kind of like Heaven. I've never been there. I hope to get there some Well, a lot of people have that same aspiration about well maybe someday I might hunt a sheep. Well here's a chance to help volunteer and lay hands on one and help maybe put a radio collar on her, hold them still while I vet takes a blood drawer, you know, attaches a radio collar or something like that. So we had great support. Of course, Texas Bighorns Society or TBS as I keep referring to. It was instrumental working side by side with TPWD to get this thing going. It was a long I always joke about a long gestation period. And doctor Sam Cunningham, the president of Texas Biggrown Society here he's a hear, nose and throat doc in Amarilla. But if he was expecting father handing out cigars, it'd be like, this is a two year gestation period to get this baby delivered. Here's a big cigar. But TBS was huge in their leadership and so we worked with TBS as one of our thirty or so chapters in affiliates the Wild Chief Foundation has scattered around North America and beyond, and so Texas Bigger Own Society and Texas Park's and Wildlife Department made this request to us, and we said, oh, man, yeah, this is a great You know, some people referred to it as sort of the last chance or last gasp, the desert cheap in West Texas, and we certainly hope that's not the case. But it was a well thought out project that appealed to us because it was releasing desert big horn moving them from Elephant Mountain over to Franklin Mountain State Park where it was odd ed free, where it was livestock free in a state park.
Speaker 1: When we come back on More Outdoors, we're talking more with Kevin Hurley of the Wild Sheep Foundation about the transplant of desert big Horns into Franklin Mountain State Park in El Paso, Texas. Here More Outdoors. Welcome back to More Outdoors on News Top five sixty kl the This is Chester More. Download the program via the iHeartRadio app. More Outdoors archives going back several years, continuing our conversation with Kevin Hurley, of the Wild Cheap Foundation.
Speaker 3: Then we would go work with some of our partners to get the funding to help make this happen on the ground. And so aside from TBS, the number one partner we had was past pro Shopping Cabella's Outdoor Fund. We've had a long positive relationship with Bella's Outdoor Fund. I think over the last six years they've they've provided over six hundred thousand US to us to the Wild Cheap Foundation for a dozen or more projects from British Columbia down to south West Texas. And so Cabella's Outdoor Fund was able to send a couple of their videographers out and I think those guys went home wishing they'd brought more storage, more prodible hard drives, because they got a ton of footage and we're real anxious to see how that looks. I'm sure they're still unwanted dealing with all that footage that they captured. But our Midwest Chapter based in the Twin Cities. You know, there's no big Own Cheap in Minneapolis Saint Paul, but there's a lot of wild chief conservationists there and so the Midwest Chapter was a great partner in helping with this, and they were not able to send anybody there to help on the actual operation. But another one was the Campfire Conservation on Campfire Conservation Fund of America. They're, you know, based in Upstate New York and a lot of these are I had a chance, maybe a decade ago to go back to Upstate New York. They hosted a meeting there at their facility, and I mean they have an outdoor bar, and this is the same bar called the Prairie Dog Saloon. It's the same bar that you know Teddy Roosevelt leaned his elbow on, and Gifford Pinchot and some of those early conservationists, you know, the Rockefellers, the Roosevelts, the Vanderbilts, you know, wealthy families along the Hudson River that were really the birthplace of the North American conservation movement. And so they were able to send two of their conservation committee reps, John Warden, Parker Corbin out and I picked them up in a passo and drove them over and they spent three days, you know, immersed in a great project. And coincidentally, last night, which would have been Wednesday, the eighteenth, they presented to their conservation committee sort of a download of what went on, and the feedback I've already gotten this morning is the Campfire Conservation Committee was thrilled with that presentation and their participation. So, you know, those are some of the major, the larger partners that we got. But I mean there's a whole litany of everybody from the Water for While I Foundation based in Land of Wyoming where I used to work. They helped with some funding for guzzlers that put in over Saint Patting's Day weekend, and our Eastern chapter, the Wild Chief Foundation based in Lancaster, PA of all places. Again wildcheap conservationists lived there, and they raise money locally and help invest it in Western projects so that there are sheep on the mountain and so and then we had Houston Safari Club. Joe Vitar and his folks helped on this project as well. So I mean, there's a laundry list of cooperators on this particular project. But to us, it just it takes a whole bunch of folks working together to get something like this not only planned but pulled off. And congrats to TPWD and.
Speaker 1: T absolutely and that's really the heart of what I wanted to talk about with this that this is a lot of people coming together for a conservation cause. A lot of different ways people get skin in the game to do something positive for wild sheep, but we're talking about this conservation impact. There's a document can get a Wild Cheap Foundation dot or I'll put the links up where they can download the pdf. The document will learn more about the Wild Cheap Foundation also its chapters in affiliate it's like the Texas Big ORNs Society. Incidentally, the first conservation group I ever joined, when I was nineteen years old, was the Texas Big Orn Society. I was at an event. I did not know they had a society for Texas bighorns at nineteen and I see a full body big horn and it says Texas Big Orn Society. So nineteen year old me, it was like a moth to flame and who would have thunk, you know, years later getting to just see all this sort of happen, which is which is a beautiful thing. Back then it was the Wild Cheap Foundation was the foundation for North American wild sheep. And that's a mouthful, but you know, Wild Sheep Foundation continues. That's the legacy that's the Wild Sheep Foundation. You said, it's forty eighth year.
Speaker 3: Forty Yeah, so you know, the story goes finas is the acronym foundation from the American Wild Sheep. But people said, what's the finas well? Back in the story, I always heard on a snowy weekend in February of nineteen seventy four, a bunch of experienced sheep hunters from the Michigan I'm sorry, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa area got together at somebody's cabin for a weekend gather and you know, they each put one hundred bucks on the table and said, we ought to do something for wild sheep because they don't they don't pay their own way. And by that I'll explain that. But ten or twelve founders, you know, said we need to do something like Ducks Unlimited, but for mountain sheep. So that was the origin of the Foundation for North American Wild Sheep. And of course, forty eight years later, coming up on our fiftieth in a couple of years, some of those original founders are still alive up there in years, but we're going to focus and feature on them and thank them for their vision fifty years ago. But you know to me one of the interesting parts. And I've only been only I've only been involved with the Sheep Foundation forty five years, and so only forty five I missed the first five years. I got involved in the fall of eighty one and they helped find my graduate work at the University of Wyoming on a sheet project between Cody, Wyoming and Yellowstone National Park. They moved their office from the Twin Cities to Cody, Wyoming in September of eighty two, so I helped move the boxes, unload the boxes for the first Bana's office. And then, after thirty years with the State of Woming Gave and Fish Department, I took one night in retirement, went back to work the next morning, knocking on the door of the Sheep Foundation at seven am because I didn't have a key to get in. And it's like, what time do you people get to work? Let's go, And so they showed up about quarter to eight and said, you know, can we help you? And I'm like, yeah, I'm going to work here. But I knew them all so but it's been a great organization. You know, our membership right now is plus or minus either side of eleven thousand. It's not a lot of members. You know, you look at say Ducks Unlimited, I mean millions of members globally, something like the Rocky Mountain OK Foundation. I joined the first year it came out in nineteen eighty four, but Army f has done great work for elk and their habitats for forty years. But the Sheep Foundation, what's really unique. We have such an incredible, dedicated and generous membership, some of whom have never and may never get a chance to hunt a sheep, but they still do, you know, provide their blood, sweat and tears, as Grey Thornton says, you know, their time, their treasure, their talent in the interest of wild cheap conservation. And that's what's really gratifying to me is the level of commitment that our members have, even though you know they may pass this earth and never have gotten a chance to hunt a sheep, which is a big aspiration for a lot of people. So it's it's a really cool bunch of people. And I've got all kinds of anecdotes and why I'm such a lifer for forty five years with the foundation and various capacities, but it's it's just a great group that's really focused. You know, remember the old you know, mile wide, inch deep. We're an inch wide and a mile deep. We are focused on wild sheep and their populations and their habitats.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: And one of the things I like in terms of covering all of this it's the versity of projects they're supported. So you go from a translocation in Texas to another location in Texas, very important, historical, and then you got really cutting edg stuff like working with Working Dogs for Conservation. Can you talk a little bit about that project?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And so Working Dogs for Conservation they have a great website, they have a great team. They have a field station just ten twelve miles east of Missoula, Montana. But you can find information on their website Working Dogs for Conservation. But they've got a staff of maybe twenty people and maybe forty five dogs. And these are not special breeds or especially trained. These are pound puppies, rescue dogs that were problematic for somebody else. But they've got really good dog handlers, dog trainers.
Speaker 1: When we come back, we'll talk more about Working Dogs for Conservation and Wild sheep with Kevin Hurley of the Wild Sheep Foundation. Welcome back to More Outdoors on News Top five to sixty klv I wrapping up our conversation with Kevin Hurley of the Wild Sheep Foundation.
Speaker 3: Doctor Pete Coppolilo, who's the execut director there and his staff. They work on a variety of conservation projects and it might be everything from chronic wasting disease detection to you know, port duty where they're looking for invasive weed seeds might come in in a palette of you know, produce imported from Africa or somewhere. They do all kinds of work. But what we've worked with them on the last five years is can these dogs be trained to detect michael plasma over them on the mv scent residue smell either in peco pellets from a captured sheep or maybe they find some on a landscape. They don't know which sheep positive them, but can they detect that? And what seems to be the evolution of the diagnostics is it's better on nasal swabs, you know, so take it basically they're a big Q tip and run it around the inside of a big orange nose and then they can set up trials where the dogs have you know, eight or so canisters to choose from, and they've got all kinds of cool videos on their website and I just saw another cool one yesterday. But they'll prial these dogs to see which which of the canisters they detect on, and then the term is alert, you know, which they hit on or start wagging their tail. But they'll go to this circular sense station with maybe eight canisters on it, and maybe there's some empties or there's some dummy or rogue, you know, decoy type sense. But if they can zero in on the one that's got a swab that's positive for MOV, those dogs will sit down and just alert and I mean they're just like hyped up, ready to go. And so there's some really cool footage on the Working Dogs website, but it's it's amazing. I mean, most people are dog lovers, and what dogs can sense and smell and detect buy outpaces anything we can come up with. And so what we've done is, I think in partnership with Working Dogs for Conservation in our state and provincial and tribal First Nation partners around the West, is Working Dogs is getting more and more samples that they can train the dogs on. And I think the three best dogs their detection rate or MOV off of a diluted, you know, diminished nasal swab sample. Their best dog is hitting at one hundred percent detection. I think their second best dog is in that ninety two to ninety three percent accuracy range, and the third dogs in the eighty five to eighty seven percent range. So it's not foolproof, but these dogs can alert and detect the presence of this pathogen. Well, how does that translate to an on the ground situation? And I'll go back a couple of years to Todd Norden in Nebraska Game and Parks Commission. We had the working Dogs folks come with their dog to a capture in the Panhandle of Nebraska. We also had doctor Kate Hibert from Washington State University who's are Wild Cheap Disease Research Chair that wazoo. She came with a field PCR unit called a biomeme. And what we were really interested in, what we talked about possibly deploying in Texas two weeks ago, would help a manage make a real time decision like Okay, we're gonna draw blood, We're gonna take nasal swabs and in fact, Texas wound up flying thirty or more samples on day one from Alpine. Texas tried to get them to Pullman, Washington, but couldn't land there because a low cloud cover. Had to land in Lewiston, Idaho, and have somebody drive down from the university and drive the samples back up. But what it would do is help a manager make a field real time decision that says, okay, according to the biome unit the field PCR, we have indications that that you you number three or you number eight maybe positive. If the dogs alert and detect on that, maybe there's a way to stratify that and say, well, this one's for sure gonna have it. Handing the laboratory results from the Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab or wattle up in Pullman, and so the dogs can help with a field decision. What do we do. Do we turn that sheep back on the mountain, do we put that one in a different trailer? Do we plan to take them to captivity? And in some cases there's been positive sheep that have big hornes that have been euthanized down right then. But in the in the Texas case, two weeks ago, those first thirty plus samples were all negative, and so TPWD and TVs went forward and we all mobilized from Elephant Mountain, going down to the Interstate ten to Olpasso and Freuilin and Hernandez got the call from Wattle that's a green light. These are all clear, all negative, and so, you know, really a great feeling to know that these were all clean. If there had been odd ed contact on or near Elephant Mountain, at least in the shape that were caught, they hadn't transmitted that pathogen yet, and so I know there was a real sense of urgency on the part of TPWD and TBS. It's like the whole point of the Franklin Mountains was to get a second source population established. You know the old adage don't put all your eggs in one basket. Well, if if your basket is Elephant Mountain and somehow that's been your source for decades and then it's unavailable because of contamination or disease infection problems, they really wanted to get a second herd started at Franklin Mountains. That's MV free and so moving seventy seven cheap, and those females were all ultrasounded and I think five out of six, you know, eighty four percent, And I believe there was forty u's total and thirty seven rams, so you know, forty of the US. Do the math, you know what's eighty four percent of that? But I mean there's going to be some babies hitting the ground in the next couple of months at Franklin Mountain State Park. So it was a really good effort. But working dogs has played a great role, not only in the Nebraska situation, not necessarily in the Texas, but it helps the decision makers make an informed decision at the time of we've got sheep in hand, sheep in the trailer, Now what do we.
Speaker 2: Do with them.
Speaker 1: Another project we want to talk about, because water is a recurring role in desert big horn sheep populations, is the Muddy Mountains project. This is in the Conservation Impact document, and you know it seems to be a crucial.
Speaker 2: Area in that for desert big horns.
Speaker 1: And let's talk about the water catchment situation in general, and then how this particular one of the Muddy Mountains may have a really positive impact for many years.
Speaker 3: Well just you know, if you look at there's at least seven southwestern states that have desert bighorn sheep and so California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Colorado in the very southwest corner Utah, Nevada, of course, and then all the way into Mexico. Six states in Mexico. And so water in the desert is very important and it's it's helped recover desert bigger on populations in many of those jurisdictions. And so again with our network of chapters and affiliates, the Wild Cheap Foundation works closely with a lot of our chapters affiliates partners on those southwestern US projects. But I'm, you know, from Wyoming, and so I remember we did guzzler projects in Wyoming and people would think, boy, do you really need water development there? Yeah, Wyoming is high, desert, cold, but you know, the need is still there. There. Can talk about guzzler projects in British Columbia, well, why God, there's all kinds of snow and water in BC. Why But the point is water development can help drive population dynamics of a wild sheep population, whether it's a desert or a rocky or California or some other subspecies.
Speaker 1: If you would like to get more information on how you can get involved with the Wild Sheep Foundation, go to Wildshepfoundation dot org. I'm a proud member also in Texas to Texas Bighorn Society, great organization. Wild Sheep are very important to me on a personal level, but they're also very important to the legacy of wildlife in North America. You know, I've been doing More Outdoors for twenty five years, and I'm grateful for everyone who ever listened to this program. Thank you so much for supporting all the work that I've done, all the work I do. Thank you for listening to More Outdoors all of these years. You can follow me at the chesterom A're on Instagram, Higher Calling dot net my blog. Also catch my Dark Outdoors podcast. God bless and have a great out there doors weekend