Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, it's Monday for us, but still Tuesday for you. Welcome to December ninth. For us and for you, Welcome to the Giant BombCast, Episode eight hundred and seventy. This week we're powered by beef, and not beef with each other or anyone, but beef products. That's right. The beefiest man in video games, our own co captain of the ship, Chef Grub.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a tea bone steak over here. Absolutely, you can never cook me, right, but I'm a big slab of meat, that's right.
Speaker 1: Speaking about big slabs of meat, we got the other mediast man in games media, Dan Rikert.
Speaker 3: I agree about the Grub beef.
Speaker 4: I was talking to Mike Maharty last night and Mike even gave it up that he thinks Grub might be able to take him.
Speaker 3: In a fight.
Speaker 4: He said he had that like Midwestern dad strength and stuff.
Speaker 2: And I want you to tell him this, that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said about me.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll let him. Thank you appreciate that.
Speaker 1: I forgot to introduce myself. I'm the prime not the prime reb. I'm the Ribbi of this cast. Janichoa and the Bad boy of games media, he's got beef with beef itself, beef on beef on beef, MyH minati.
Speaker 5: Don't buy a rib roast everybody, that's that's a waste of money. Guys like some individual steaks. What kind of ribs y'all like? Is the pork ribs or beef ribs? Beef short ribs are incredible, but that's a very different experience than eating a slab of pork ribs.
Speaker 3: I don't like eating ribs.
Speaker 4: I don't I like eating the n of ribs because they don't have bones in them. Barbecue guys, I am I'm not gonna get my hands all messy. I'm not going to try to figure out how to get all the meat off the bone here. I want just meat I can eat.
Speaker 2: I'm very finicky about this sort of thing, and yet four ribs.
Speaker 3: I will do it. I really, I'll do it, getting messy, I'll eat in I really. I don't like this as a price.
Speaker 5: We come from the guy who wishes that the restaurant would cut a steak for him.
Speaker 4: I still do well, that's kind of what I do with burn in's, and burn ins are way better than ribs. If ribs are presented to me, I will eat them and I will enjoy them, but I will never order them when there are other more convenient out games on the menu.
Speaker 1: Do you have the same feeling with chicken wings?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I fucking started the entire Remember the damn Team Boneless thing from you.
Speaker 3: That was me and Tim Turry.
Speaker 4: We got into an argument at Game Informer about it, and I started tweeting a bunch about it. Then I started tweeting a bunch of wrestlers being like, hey, gang Grail, are you hashtag team boneless?
Speaker 3: And then fucking Miller, Craig Miller.
Speaker 4: Stole that she that was why the KFC acknowledged that I started.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 4: They sent Game in Form a whole bounty of their boneless chicken because my Team Boneless thing one, and the Colonel gave a.
Speaker 3: Back of the box.
Speaker 4: So Colonel the shot Colonel, Yeah, I've got to hear Airpcekater two.
Speaker 3: Look, this is literally on the back of Airport Skater two.
Speaker 4: The Colonel proudly welcomes Air Force Gator into the Colonel's army for his insatiable love of boneless chicken. That is, the colonel said that that is a shoot.
Speaker 1: Well, forget the other thing I was gonna ask you then, Dan, I don't know you can follow a team boneless.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, I'm good with boneless chicken wings.
Speaker 5: Okay, boatless wings are way worse for you than normal wings though, right, oh are good for you? Well, they're worse because that threading is basically mostly fat. It's like, this is not like.
Speaker 3: Carrots versus lard, this is they're both just fried chicken.
Speaker 2: I worked at a wing place and I was like, I think I had some drink that was like clearly like oh, this is like some dieting thing, right and all the guy was a delivery guy, and I was sitting down eating my wings that I got on every ship, and they were like the regular wings, and they're like you're trying to lose weight, but you're still eating wings.
Speaker 3: It's literally like the worst thing you could be eating across the board in fried with food.
Speaker 5: But I still think I think fried with breading is worse than a thing fried without breading. Breading is just fat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what are those kinds of sugar?
Speaker 1: What are those fries? They're not like Cajun fries, but it tastes like they have a breading to it. You want that Popeyes, No, not at Popeyes. Similar they're like cousins to the Popeye fries and you can only get them that like kind of like not shitty establishments, but like this is like a weird hole in the wall or it's like this is like hotel fries or something.
Speaker 4: I know what you're talking about. There's like a flaky outer crust to them. I think they're more like thicker like steak fried type gimmicks, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, they're the kinds of like you'll find the frozen food ale I.
Speaker 3: Think, yeah, sure, or Ida probably makes weir yeah.
Speaker 2: Or you know what I just I learned recently or Ida Oregon, Idaho. Yeah, that's where the potatoes they use for or Ida potato.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Get that fascinating?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, see folks who says you never learn anything from listening to a video game podcast? And some would say that this is the number one video game podcast on the internet.
Speaker 3: Many people are saying Many people are saying that.
Speaker 1: People are also saying, like, wow, this collection of four dudes behind microphones on a podcast. I think this might be the hottest and smartest group of them actually, right, many people agree. The Colonel is also saying this, it's going to be on the back of the box.
Speaker 3: I got to catch up with the colonel. It's been a while. Yeah, for real, bring them up the face of the double down Sandwich. It was away for me.
Speaker 1: I remember that story. That's what a travesty Dan.
Speaker 4: Alternate path where I'm a big commercial dude. I'm the where's the beef of the twenty tens?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 2: First thing was like he was like all about the bone and wings right, Like that.
Speaker 3: Was yeah, he was around that time.
Speaker 4: I lived in San Francisco and me and Miller went to an APW wrestling show together and then we went to a Buffalo Wild Wings after and I remember being like at the height of this, and we made a point of like I'm gonna order boneless and he's gonna order bone in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's they're both good. It turns out I was wearing I go pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, it's gonna It's it's a weird week here at GiantBomb dot Com. Since we're pre recording this, we're actually in the air now traveling to Los Angeles for the Game Awards, but also before the Game Awards Wednesday, Jeff Grubb, We're gonna have a bunch of people lined up for you to talk to you on the video game couch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, GB at night, five pm Pacific time is when the first section will kick off. We'll have a bunch of fun friends on the couch, a lot of familiar faces, a lot of catching up with little friends like to be like, hey, you run on the couch a little we go, Let's do it again, some new people. It's gonna be a good time. Well, then the last panel, we'll all get together hang out on the couch.
Speaker 1: He'll be fun presented by Warframe nineteen ninety nine. Shouts out to them also, and then we are participating in game spots. Countdown to the Video Game Award Show or the Game Awards Show, where you two will have some some fun, fun little segments.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 4: Yes, I just got out of a meeting where I had to be adamant that like, no, this cannot be a prop sandwich.
Speaker 3: This needs to be a shoot sandwich.
Speaker 4: So to give you a sense of the meetings I've been having lately.
Speaker 5: How many how many lines from the Norm McDonald YouTube comedy show appreciate what are you gonna work into this.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying if I don't at least once, if you don't hear me say all the stars are here, I should retire.
Speaker 3: Literally in the script I wrote it in.
Speaker 4: About it, and even if you're second out, I'm fucking saying it.
Speaker 5: I see that line so much almost daily and mentally daily now because I like that the voter choice list for the Game Awards came out. It's like a lot of gotcha games and stuff, and I literally thought, all the stars are here. It's luckily going to be like the first thing I say.
Speaker 3: The Content Creator of the Year award. Yeah. Oh, I don't know any of these names.
Speaker 1: I think we should uh all three of us because I think I might wind up on camera at some point. We should all gym the camera for or we shall MinC the camera for Mike.
Speaker 3: Okay at some point, Yeah missed the camera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just missed the cameras.
Speaker 5: Now, I know I'm not a part of this, but what happens if I show up?
Speaker 2: You can maybe be one of the my man on the Street segments and you could play are you Smarter than a game?
Speaker 3: String? If one if the people drops out, No.
Speaker 4: I disagree, it's gonna be like that one Hall of Fame where they had to put up pictures of Scott Steiner saying, don't let this man in here because he threatened to kill a whole Kogan.
Speaker 3: We should just on our own.
Speaker 2: We should make signs that just have Mike's face with the cross through them, so we get the Garfield picture of like to that store, do.
Speaker 5: A cooking segment with Dan and would be like, get in.
Speaker 1: There, get in there.
Speaker 3: We could do that.
Speaker 1: We could do that on the couch maybe, you know, maybe absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mike, I do have a traveling question. Let's say we end up on a flight together. What is the etiquette you want me to follow? If we're sitting separate and I get off the plane before you, Where do you want me to wait for you?
Speaker 5: I can't have to say it, just just I don't know. Outside of the gate somewhere where people walk by. There's all those seats there. You can take a seat if you want to.
Speaker 2: If I If I do that and then you immediately say, oh, I'm gonna go to the bathroom, I'm gonna be mad at you. I just want you to know, like or I'm going to go to the bathroom, would I wait by the like, I'll just go wait and we'll catch you up with the bad claim.
Speaker 3: I think this is perfectly acceptable but insane.
Speaker 1: It's still so far away, but it's like we know.
Speaker 2: We have to be there. He's gonna go to the bathroom. I don't have to go to the bathroom. I'm supposed to wait.
Speaker 3: There for this, For this, I'm gonna say it.
Speaker 4: I love Ribbon Minati a lot, but I think I'm with him on this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: If I'm gonna be playing with someone, let's both tinkle and then we'll walk. The bag claim got ale. He's just gonna be taking him third twenty minute shit.
Speaker 1: Like I remember after leaving Packs East this year, I realized snow Bike Mike and I were on the same plane, and I was we didn't get there together. We didn't travel together. And then I thought, should I wait for Mike. I don't know, I don't see him for Mike, wait, let me finish. And then I start walking and I start walking slowly and I stopped to tie my shoe and next thing I know, behind me, he's like, hey, dude, thanks you for waiting for me.
Speaker 6: Brother, Oh that's snow Bike Mike, Mike, you've known for thirteen years. Oh god, you should have seen me standing around like an asshole, being like I thought he got up before me.
Speaker 3: But I don't see him here, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: Did you go into the bathroom and just go Jeff, Jeff.
Speaker 3: You've held on him this for like six months? Tell you right away.
Speaker 5: I don't forget what I could see if I, uh deem something that be a social slight friendt me, Mike, I have a friend who Irish could buy me ten years ago, and I still give a shit about it.
Speaker 3: I was like once a month, yeah, with a guy who throws his poop at the toilet, Mike.
Speaker 1: If anything, fine, get back at grub, work up this whole thing about waiting for each other, and you meet him at baggage claim.
Speaker 3: And I will be like, yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, first you don't care.
Speaker 3: We're both grown men. We're gonna get to where we're going. This is fine, all right.
Speaker 1: And yet again I booked my flight way too early. I don't know why I decide. The thing is, the flight is only one hour for me, but I decide I need to get their first thing in the morning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dane, we were sharing a discord earlier. Are times I think you and I are getting their way earlier than the Ohio boys.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm getting there like at eight damn.
Speaker 3: What the fuck?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm a broken person. I don't even know.
Speaker 2: There are plenty of work to do, so though I'm sure they'll put you work if you show it's okay.
Speaker 1: I might just hang around a bit video games. We're all gonna be leaving home for about a week recording some content, so grub, I guess you are you preparing and by playing this game called Home Safety Hotline?
Speaker 2: Yes, definitely, I've been doing that. This game is interesting. It is one of these Windows ninety five games right where it's like the interface, the UI is all like you are just clicking around in a computer and a Windows ninety five environment. So you get big bulky windows with big chunky buttons and things like that, and you are someone who works at the Home Safety Hotline, and what happens is you click on your email, you check your email, then you click on the app to start the day, so you could start getting calls from people who are having home safety issues of a bunch of different varieties, and what happens is they call and it's just it's basically a voice recording, you know, just like one paragraph. You put them on hold, and then you go through a list of possible things. It could be like termites and carpenter ants and a house fire or all kinds of different things, mules, things like that, and you need to based on what they're saying, like I'm hearing scratching in the walls, but I don't see any droppings or something like that. So you need to like cross reference the symptoms they're giving with these issues so you can give them the proper packet of information so they can deal with it. Now that's day one. By day two suddenly you're getting like a bunch of stuff. On day one is like blacklisted from your list of possible problems. It's like just like this is not accessible. By day two you're getting things like, okay, here's some people like start calling in about these issues, and it'll be like a pipe hob.
Speaker 3: And a pipe hob is.
Speaker 2: A little creature who lives in your pipes and eats all the hair and stuff that goes down the pipe and stuff like that, and they're mostly harmless, but if you mess with them, they'll metamorphosize into a Bogert.
Speaker 3: So you don't want to mess with them like that.
Speaker 2: And it's like, so you need, yeah, you need to try to give them the correct information as they start coming up with these more insane issues. And sometimes people won't believe you, and they will they're like, they won't put the cream out for the house, elf, and when they don't do that, if they don't do that, the thing will metamorphosize into the Bogert And you need to now tell them, okay, now you need to just leave the house and you can't ever speak its name things like that.
Speaker 3: So it's a pretty cool thing. I'm enjoying pretty good.
Speaker 2: I'm it's definitely like a you know, it's not as complicated as what was the dream Windows ninety five game. I can never remember the name of dream one, the one where you're like you were you could be in their spirits outlaw. Yeah, hypno space outlaw. Yes, it's not as robust as that. It's interface, but it's in it's in the same spectrum. And uh, I really enjoy the fact that people are calling in and if you get things wrong, we'll call back and yell at you and things like that. It's it's pretty pretty well done. I'm uh, this is one of these indie games. I heard at these Game of the Year's list. They are starting to come out, and I saw it on NPR and a bunch of people were talking about it there and I tried it out. It's on Steam. I'm pretty happy with it.
Speaker 1: This came out way early in the year, genuous, jeez, January.
Speaker 2: Back when we're all playing Prits of Persia. Probably, yes, there is that. They did release a a some DLC. It seems like, and I think it was free. But it's seasonal worker and it's Christmas themed. Uh, and that's that's out now and you can play that as part of the game.
Speaker 5: Maybe you would like that. Oh yeah, look at that. Oh there's there's not enough Christmas themed games, Mike.
Speaker 3: Have you been Inketown Holiday? I did it.
Speaker 5: I got to play it once. So that was very exciting, very passive.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 5: Prop up On it was fun because you even have even like the props are kind of Christmas like you could be a wreath or what what have you.
Speaker 3: Once, I don't think I like prop Hunt.
Speaker 5: Really, I thought that would be still your thing.
Speaker 4: The idea is very funny. But then when I went in there and it's just like, first of all, I hate any mode where I can't just respawd, Like that's the thing with.
Speaker 3: Call of Duty for mezer boo boom boo boom and back and there.
Speaker 4: So like I turn off Search and Destroy, I turn off all those where I can't just respond immediately.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I need to.
Speaker 4: Go, go go, Whereas like prop Hunt is like, Okay, I died at the beginning, and now I just have to watch people shoot at traffic hones for five minutes, Like I can't do that.
Speaker 5: But the it was such a I was playing my bros, my friend. There's such a thrill, Like I had to run away at one point, and like I was given an ambulance. I was in an entire ambulance right, and it was that the soccer stadium one. So I'm this car just on a street and they're all looking for a proper They're literally like circling me, shooting at things but not me. It was a very special kind of experience. But Jeff, this game does look like something I'd enjoy. I love the windows ninety five aesthetic. Boy, that just calls to me an incredibly powerful way, so there was a.
Speaker 4: Real jams definitely not but grub and Manati, are you old enough to like remember, like you know, you started on three point one and then when like, oh my god, the start button I.
Speaker 3: Started at Doss.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, yeah, yeah, like ninety five was crazy, although I start me up commercials and yeah yeap.
Speaker 5: By the time I really cared about or was like able to use computers, Windows ninety five was very new, and like I remember going to a Frances house since they were still on Windows three, so like I was aware of what the you know, the previous Windows, but Windows ninety five it's just really where my computer experience starts.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was Doss and then getting like a early three eighty six or a four eighty six computer with Windows three point one using that for a while and then just Windows ninety five was the biggest event ever and Chandler bing was was selling it to me in a commercial or whatever.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it was a good time.
Speaker 5: But I like, I need to find a book just about Windows ninety five, not like about all Windows, just Windows ninety five also good.
Speaker 4: We yeah, we had Windows three point one than like some of the games like Doom and Wolfenstein and all that stuff like actually run on my step Beats computer. You'd have to like open up the DOST command line to get to it. And I distinctly remember when people started talking about the Internet at school and be like this sounds cool. I really want to get on the Internet, spending hours being like, Okay, I see commercials now they're saying go to www dot zoop dot com and you can play a demo of the soup. Yeah, And so I'd be like going to the ms DOS command line being like it says www dot soup, Like we're not plugged it. We don't have a modem, like no idea.
Speaker 3: How the scores. I can't play. I just want to play soup for free.
Speaker 4: Me the same thing when I got the Dreamcast and it's like I had all bugm and everything was like it's online online online.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, that's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 4: And I'm just assuming day one, I'm gonna go home and pop Soul Caliber in and I can just play online. And it's like, oh wait, no, there has to be functionality and you have to plug in the line, you know.
Speaker 3: It's like I could not do that at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh that aesthetic, So that just speaks to me. So like whenever I see that stuff in a game, I just I zoom to it. And this does a good job of that. So we we should do another one of those demo derbys with one of those old mid nineties.
Speaker 3: The PC stuff was awesome. I would love one of those.
Speaker 1: Have on that one next time?
Speaker 3: Even that great?
Speaker 5: Yes, I mean when do kids even know what they do with Windows eleven? Like I feel like kids that they don't really have to deal with desktop computers average they don't want to.
Speaker 2: Emmy's asking for a PC for Christmas. I don't know if that's just her being like I see you on one all the time.
Speaker 3: Uh. They definitely have.
Speaker 2: Computer class at school, but I wonder if they're mostly mostly on Mac because they.
Speaker 3: Playing Roadblocks and stuff. Is that on phones?
Speaker 2: That's on Xbox and phones, tablets, Yeah, it's on everything.
Speaker 5: That was Like the only time I was ever exposed to Apple stuff was like the school computers.
Speaker 1: SAME's always Apple Chrome books too, So yeah.
Speaker 2: That's right, there's a lot of chromebooks and stuff. When I was a kid, it was all Macintosh at school and then at home after the Macintosh came out. We got an Apple two actually before we got the three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh kind of like.
Speaker 5: See, my dad had some kind of computer when I was a kid, and I don't even know what. It was, probably some IBM thing and I just remember asking him to play Jeopardy and some Flintstones game. He on and again, me and the Flintstones. Apparently I was more of a flint Stones fan than I remember.
Speaker 2: We bought ours were like used, and so it just came with a bunch of like, uh, you know, illegally copied games and there would be like BC, like I think the comic Strip had a game or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Uh like Olympics games and things like that, and I would just plug that and it was it was a monochrome black and green screen.
Speaker 5: So it wasn't even a color Apple to It's such like an old computer mood. I've been watching so many videos about like Ultima one.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I finished that book.
Speaker 2: That book was really good, The Innovators. That was an excellent Readio.
Speaker 1: You think the youth or like the gimmicks will have an interest in I guess the progression of like os is like that.
Speaker 4: It's not as easily, Like there are ways you can do with there's like doss box and stuff like that, but I feel like it's not as easy as like, oh I want to play an old N E S game, There's a million ways.
Speaker 3: To do that very easily, whereas like OS is you kind of have to do a little more digging. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think like going forward, like, uh, Windows eleven is a lot like Windows ten, which was actually a lot like what was before ten.
Speaker 1: Vista or Vista right there, just the Windows eight there wasn't yeah, there wasn't eight.
Speaker 3: Was that after Vista? They skipped nine? Yeah, that's what it was.
Speaker 5: It was eight to ten seven.
Speaker 3: Also, I don't like iPhone did it?
Speaker 1: They went three G then I remember an iPhone five.
Speaker 3: There was a four. I had a four.
Speaker 5: There's some reason like the companies didn't like the number nine.
Speaker 3: I think Windows Windows skipped nine.
Speaker 2: I think because one of the early versions of Windows was like Windows point nine X or something like that, So they're like just internally it was easier for them.
Speaker 3: I think. I think there's something along those lines that's not exactly right, but it's something along.
Speaker 1: That all these things are eventually all just copies of each other, just like the game that Mike and I have been playing, maybe a copy of another popular video game, Marvel Rivals Mike Manatti. I heard the dirt on the street. The Minatti brothers were tearing up the scene with Christian, Shan and Nicky.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're having playing that. I've been playing a bit of it on my own. It's insane how many characters have launched with this game. Thirty three I cannot out of the gate. Yeah, that's pretty that's pretty wild as at and it's a very nice mix of standbys like you know who you would expect to be there, like your Captain Americas and Hallgs and Spider Man's. There's some deeper cuts, like people I am not super familiar with, like that shark, Jeff.
Speaker 3: The shark from Windpool.
Speaker 1: You said, jam, Yeah, Jeff has grown into other comic book properties. Yeah, the Lace or the ice lady I'm not familiar with. Apparently she was an o c not for this game, but for a different.
Speaker 3: Marvel game who became popular. I guess like a mobile game. Maybe, I don't know.
Speaker 1: She's supposed to be like a K Pop idol, so maybe it is a mobile game.
Speaker 3: I bet I bet it's that Marvel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a game that my sister in all plays and has played for years.
Speaker 3: She's a Marvel fan. I bet it's that game.
Speaker 5: Uh, it's pretty fun, you know, Stiffy's scratching that Overwatch itch. I liked Overwatch a lot for a long time and kind of fully began falling off in once Too came out, and don't.
Speaker 3: Have I don't have too much of a desire to go back.
Speaker 5: They even did that throwback mode not too long ago, and I was like, I'll check that out, and I just never did. I just don't really want to open Overwatch at the moment. But doing this and it's enough like Overwatch that I understood what's going on, but everything is different, like I don't know what these heroes do, and it's fun bring her out what they do, you know. And since it's Marvel, I can just be like, well like Captain America, So I guess I'll play us him for a while.
Speaker 1: Sure, that's what I do.
Speaker 5: And he has a pretty interesting move set where right, like he's melee mostly but if he at texts me well twice of his melee attack, then he throws the shoe for a bit. It says he's a tank. You can kind of you know, you can get in there an attack of choice and then get in there, you can sort of throw the shield as you're retreating back to your group.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it all works out pretty well. I'm enjoying it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I played a little bit with Nikki after y'all did, and it was it was pretty fun just jumping into a bunch of random characters and being getting absolutely stomped in the first round, actually learning the abilities and synergies in the second round winning that one, and then the other team further learning their characters and then stomping you again. But the interesting thing that Marvel Rivals Doe is some of the heroes, if they're paired up with another specific hero or group of heroes, will have these passive abilities or even active abilities that will only happen if they get paired up. So, for instance, the Incredible Hulk, if he gets paired up with Wolverine, they can do the Fastball special where Wolverine will get picked up by Hulk and then Hulk will just launch that bad boy somewhere across the map. Other stuff is I think like Rocket Raccoon can ride on Groot if they're on the same team.
Speaker 5: That one's pretty cool. Yeah, because like it's literally, you know, like the thing in the movies, just literally on Groot's shoulder.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I am really digging this game. I was thinking at first that some of the heroes would just be one for one recreations of the miscellaneous Overwatch heroes, and there are some of those, but I think that Marvel Rivals does enough different with the abilities and the fact that there's a lot of melee characters in this versus any heroes with guns, because like Venom is just shooting his tentacles, and like Groot is just reloading his arms after doing like a longer like swipe, and I can't stay He's a Henry Cavill of this game. He's just like cocking his arms over and over again, just beating you with bathroom sinks. But like like Mike said, there's so many characters, so I think it's pretty easy to find someone you like and then stick with them, and then as soon as you get tired, you can roll onto the next character. I think the support characters are also really well done. Sometimes support characters can be a little too boring or because you kind of just have to have like that medic beam all the time on someone and just focus on that. With Jeff the Sharks specifically, you have like a water beam that you can use to heal, but you can also leave these like little bubbles around the area for your friendlies to pick up. And Jeff currently has the best sla most annoying alt in the world where you can in an AoE swallow every single person, including your friendly teammates, swallow them, and then as Jeff the Shark, you can just like street shark through the level and then spit them out wherever you want. And sometimes that can be very hazardous because there's a lot of open air in some of these maps, so you could even just exactly you could spit them through a ledgend. If you don't want to do that, you could just Kirby style and smash take them and obliterate a whole team. I'm also very pleased that for as chatty as the characters are, they're not super annoying, or at least they haven't come off as super annoying just yet. However, every time I do here, Bucky goes again and again when he's doing his like jumping launch attack is kind of getting grading. But my one big problem you'll yep, we're cyclops.
Speaker 3: But they got it.
Speaker 5: They gotta hold some back because look, they're gonna be releasing a lot of characters as.
Speaker 1: They are they are.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna ask, is the number of characters sort of freeing in a way, because it's like, you know, if it was sixteen characters, I probably should learn the learn all of them pretty well so I can always be ready to count them. But thirty three, they're probably gonna be playing against a lot of people who are also thinking the same thing, which is, ah, whatever, that's too many to learn. I'm just gonna go in there and have some fun.
Speaker 1: The other thing that they Sorry, Mike, go ahead.
Speaker 5: It was just I was just gonna say it is interesting, how already you do see a lot of the same characters, right, Jeff is very popular. He's always popping up around there. I've been seeing Wolverine a good bad Roots also is very popular. Right, yeah, exactly. So there's usually a spider Man because they like Spider Man. Then they realize that character is very hard to play and they die a lot. Yeah right, but yeah, I think you're I think you're you're You're kind of right, Jeff Up. It's funny because because there's so many characters, almost more inclined to just be playing Captain America, right, keep being cap That's fine.
Speaker 3: Well, go ahead, go ahead, Jane. Though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, having like the bigger amount of people, it's interesting because in my limited time with Overwatch, I always got heat from people for not playing the class that we needed on a team here, at least in the early stages, people kind of care about Team Cup a little less, at least in the first couple of rounds, and then someone will realize, Okay, we might need a healer, some type of support, or some type of tank, so someone might switch. But you can kind of get by just having a hodgepodge team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think there's also just gonna help that.
Speaker 2: Uh, Overwatch very quickly, Like from the beginning, they were like, and this is the next great sport and there's none of that. There's none of that here. So it's like when you go into play Overwatch for the those first couple of years, it's like, well, you got to play like the esports people play like, we're they're making the game for them. We got to play like them, so that I think this game is also free of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: One thing I've been struggling with a little bit is the stability of the game begining disconnected from games, being struggling to connect to games, things like that. And I mean, I think a lot of that is just because this game is very popular, very quickly. So their servers are just getting the Hulk smashed right now, see I tied.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very good.
Speaker 1: Yeah good, well done, good right now. Also, since a lot of people are still in the discovery phases of the game, I will have when I switch characters to someone else, I'll have that moment of like, well I can do that, Like I didn't realize Rocket can just kind of like climb onto walls like a Spider Man or Venom can a lot of fun discovery. Also, there's so much room for cosmetics that I haven't engaged yet with any of the micro transactions or any of the paid stuff yet, but there's so much room for so many more characters, and it's gonna hurt me. Like they're gonna drop the Fantastic four pack when that movie comes out. They're gonna they're gonna drop, like, uh, the the like X Men first class bunch. Right, So they'll have cyclops that'll have Jean Gray. You already have Storm.
Speaker 3: I haven't put dead Pool in yet.
Speaker 5: You know they're holding that one in their back pocket.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh god, Nightcrawler would be so fucking cool.
Speaker 5: As as we don't have a Gambit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't have Gambit, but rest of shirt folks, we have squirrel Girl, and let me tell you, Scuroll Girl actually very fun to play.
Speaker 5: Uh. Everyone got mad at me when I made that comment about squirrel Girls being popular. And here we go, here we are.
Speaker 1: Now you know what you're Mike, You're you're the one that's brave enough to say these things that need to be said. You know that's three. That's because you're so wh smart and everything. And speaking about whips, where's this going? There was someone added another someone added another game, and now we gotta talk about I'm.
Speaker 3: Sorry, it's not even a game either.
Speaker 1: Uh fine, we'll talk about that first and then I'll go back to my whole.
Speaker 3: Jeff, I didn't don't care.
Speaker 1: No, because I saw that and I thought, like, all right, we only got three things to talk about. Then we'll just say save the bigger game for the end.
Speaker 5: Damn it, Jeff. This is why we like that shark more than you.
Speaker 2: Uh diggy say point is a little uh s S s D that you could plug into your steam deck that they by god.
Speaker 3: I didn't know he was gonna do it.
Speaker 2: I didn't know he was gonna undo his incredible fucking segue to put me on the spot like this.
Speaker 3: Anyway. It's really cute.
Speaker 2: It looks like an old memory card for like a PlayStation or something, and uh it's it comes to the two terribyed SSD and it's it's really really super fast, so you could but that's a cool thing where it comes a little magnetic ring that you can stick to the back of your steam deck, so it's like super low profile. But then when it's time to like actually use it, you can then just magnetize that thing to the back and I kind of don't even notice it. It's it's pretty neat. Now, it's not as sleek looking as if it were like you know, plastic molded to fit the steam deck or something like that. But it's got a really like good cable that comes with it, so it can't be super fast. I'm thinking that I'm I might try to install Windows on this, and I'm around the Steam deck with Windows. I'm also thinking about maybe doing Batto Serra, which is that like retro gaming emulator os that it's very popular that people install on old PCs and things like that, and it's you could just put it on a drive, plug it into an old PC, boot from that drive, and it just turns your PC into like an old video game utopia. I might try something like that as well. But I'm also like looking for suggestions, like, hey, what can I do with this two terabyte drive to mess around with?
Speaker 3: So people have ideas.
Speaker 2: I would love to just test a bunch of things with this thing.
Speaker 3: I like kinky stuff. I am about this. That sounds fun. They have really good like switch stuff like the covert dock and all that. Let me let me go, just go get it real quick. You guys can take a look at it. I like it.
Speaker 5: Okay, great, I don't ale.
Speaker 1: This whole time. He's not even wearing socks right now. My godh gosh, this abyss back there for folks listening to the audio, grub is just cartwheeling back to his dark hole to find it.
Speaker 5: Is impressive, actually, right.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, so it's kind of got that.
Speaker 1: That it's kind of like a it feels like a mag safe charge for folks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the magnetic ring.
Speaker 2: I just stuck to it and just sticks like that.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so I can just throw it in a bag or whatever when you're not using it, but then when you are using it, it just secures. It's really nice and tight on there, and I really.
Speaker 5: Look like a medical device, but for your Steam deck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, I'm trying to place exactly what memory card style they're going for here, Like.
Speaker 5: Was this looks like a lighter some it's like a third party one memory cards?
Speaker 2: Yeah that right, Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking as well, like PS one, but I'm like, it's not it's the PS ones were.
Speaker 3: Like the gray sort of. Yeah, some like script one.
Speaker 1: Video editors that will have like a pocketable SSD that kind of looks like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so it's it's one of those twenty two to thirty SSDs which are the little tiny ones, not the longer ones, but the tiny ones, so if you want to replace it in there. But it came with the two terrabyte which is big enough. That's pretty sizable. So I'm gonna I'm gonna be using that like for a bunch of things. But I think in the in the meantime, it's like, hey, when I want to put new games on the Steam Deck, instead of going through the hassle of using the desktop mode, I'm just gonna plug this thing in my computer or pop it on that and then use that to transfer it quickly onto the Steam Deck.
Speaker 5: Options for the Xbox or sixty launch was nothing or twenty gigabytes. And now this stupid thing that's magnetically stuck to your Steam Deck is too terrify, Yes.
Speaker 3: Exactly, it's yeah, things of change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Grub, does that thing get hot at all?
Speaker 2: It has not gotten too hot so far.
Speaker 3: But I've not like put it through its paces or anything like that either.
Speaker 5: That's not so hot.
Speaker 1: I see, I see. So it's not hot enough to perhaps melt faces. But an.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 1: I was not listening to Grub the whole time. Wait for the second looking for the opening Indiana Jones and the Great Circle, Dan Grub, I believe you've been playing it, Mike. Have you had a chance to dip into.
Speaker 5: I'm waiting to after Game Awards.
Speaker 1: I'm in the same boat as you, Mike.
Speaker 4: I feel like grub from talking to you. We're probably roughly around the same spot, right, like a little past to Egypt.
Speaker 2: A little bit past Giza. Yes, and boy does it get fucking awesome?
Speaker 4: Really okay, because I'm like literally like I'm at the tail end of Giza, so I haven't.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Cool, So how are you feeling about it now?
Speaker 3: I like it a lot.
Speaker 4: I mean I've liked it from the beginning, even early on when you were like discording like I hate this game. Fuck this game, I was like, hang on, this is really fun. Oh shit, I wouldn't say that. Yeah, all right, sorry, sorry, he said, don't say this. Oh yeah, I'm reading it now. Don't say this publicly, but okay, this game.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: I was with you on the kind of pacing issue stuff, specifically with the Vatican, because at first I was enjoying it so much. I was like, I want to do everything in the Vatican. And then it's like I was there for like hours in the Vatican and I was still enjoying it and like I was doing things very well. But I was like, man, I am kind of itch into Like these environments are so detailed, like if you've played you know, the machine games of Wolfenstein games, they put so much detail into every like little shop or area you go through. There's a lot of care that goes into everything. Like the Assistine Chapel is fully recreated.
Speaker 2: Stumble into it too, Like I didn't know I was going to the Sistin Chapel and then suddenly I'm like literally.
Speaker 3: Looking up at the ceiling going holy shit.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, it's that thing from the Jericho Ko Festival Friendship painting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, are you Catholic now, Jeff, Yeah. The tourney, I feel like, oh, oh wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's I did get a little tired of like, you know, I was enjoying all the side quests and stuff, and then it was just like another one where it's just like, oh, okay, it's a nun that needs a book and I'm you know, kind of going across the map to get a book. Like it's not unenjoyable. Yeah, Like I like being in the space and just like all the little interactions you have as you go from place to place, lots of little stealth encounters and lots of collectibles and stuff. To get and if you want to read everything, there's a million little notes and letters and things, or you can just collect it, get your adventure points level up, whatever. But I yeah, I did kind of like get to the point where it's all right, I've done a good amount of petch quest. I feel like I've seen this entire space several times over now, and I was ready to move forward now.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if there.
Speaker 4: Is eventually a way to open it up where it's like, oh, I can jump on the blimp and go back to Vatican or not.
Speaker 3: Someone mentioned to me that you can go back.
Speaker 4: I've not seen that yet, though, well I'm assuming you can because I saw it and like there's like that endgame manual you can look at and it said something about the differences between like mysteries and discoveries and stuff like that, and one of them was like, oh, there are these will span multiple local so that makes me think at some point I'm going to get some mode of transportation where I get hop back and get clues and.
Speaker 3: Stuff, So that makes sense.
Speaker 4: And it didn't say something like, oh, make sure you've done everything you want to do in the Vatican before you get on this blimp, so like I'm assuming I'll get to go back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good one.
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, a little bit of pacing issue stuff, but you know, I don't think there's any problem with just like when you're ready to move on, move on to the next area. And I'm just so impressed with how much the just direction of this game, like the cut scenes, it just feels like you're watching an Indiana Jones movie and.
Speaker 3: Everything you're doing good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it feels like I mean again it's Wolfenstein was an FPS and this I was kind of thinking like, okay, FBS developer, first person indie game, all right, gonna run around shoot some Nazis and stuff like that. No, it's it's a different type of game. It feels like you are Indiana Jones. There's a lot of like, you know, using your whip to cross you know, chasms and stuff, and then a lot of you know, holding the torch underneath the a church and a catacomb and like waving scorpions away and stuff like. It feels like an indie movie more so than I mean, I didn't see five, but more than like Crystal Skuld did.
Speaker 5: Certainly I feels gonna ask like, is this this is still like a better indie experience than Dial Destiny with that, which was better than four.
Speaker 3: But I do need to see it.
Speaker 2: I need to see Dial because I liked Dial Destiny and this is definitely like, oh, this is what they should be doing instead. This is they should be the follow ups to Indiana Jones going forward, should just be them contracting Troy Baker to do three.
Speaker 3: Four more of these that I would be so exciting.
Speaker 4: Harris, yep, yeah, pay Harrison for the likeness and then Troy does an excellent job as I was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So my number one prediction for a sequel is that there's like a stinger. There's some part at the end where we see old Harrison Ford actually just doing a bit there. They'll have money at that point to pay him a hit.
Speaker 3: It'll be weird.
Speaker 5: This game isn't a hit, right, It.
Speaker 3: Seems like it's doing all right. Yeah, but we'll you know, you're right, we'll see.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's still coming to PlayStation in a couple of months, so it'll get another chance at that point.
Speaker 1: How did that last movie do box office wise?
Speaker 3: This is great?
Speaker 5: Bad?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was like, didn't make nearly enough money that that they were expecting.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I'm curious if, like the name Indiana Jones still carries a.
Speaker 2: Lot of I think that I think this game seems to be re establishing the Indiana Jones name, Like it's like bringing people in in the way that the movies were not.
Speaker 4: I've been wondering lately though about like the legacy of Indiana Jones, if it is as strong as I thought it was growing up, because like in my head, growing up.
Speaker 3: It was like on par with Star Wars.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't until when I was doing the New Day podcast and I put together a best Action Movie of All Time tournament.
Speaker 3: And even when I was like sharing with the.
Speaker 4: New Day, Rest and Peace, New Day, you know what what movies were gonna be in, I put Indiana Jones, and I think it was like Big Ei or something that was like the no cares about Indiana Jones.
Speaker 5: Like what like I've been learning like in recent years, is that perhaps idiot Jones was a bit of a white person.
Speaker 1: You know, that might explain why I have no fun for me.
Speaker 3: Okay, just put some pieces together.
Speaker 5: Basically, Oh, my friends, you know, baking yours two are what I don't seem to care about very fun.
Speaker 1: Okay. Hold on follow up question, Well, how do you guys feel about Blade?
Speaker 3: Blade's awesome? Ever seen it?
Speaker 4: I don't about comic books up, but I remember loving Blade when he kicks the syringe in the Stephen Dorf and he blows up.
Speaker 3: Blade was in Deadpool and Wolverine. Okay, was in that one.
Speaker 1: We should do a Blade film in forties for the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Blade actually established that like nineties leather jacket club scene sort of vibe.
Speaker 3: Matrix, yeah, pre matrix exactly. Yeah. And he had like a blood orgy thing right before me, like a blood yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would like they like blood would fall down.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Blades space is in the second one. Also, God, what's his name? Who? Kojima's best friend, Norman.
Speaker 3: Chris Christopherson the Stars.
Speaker 2: So my my U sort of trajectory with this game was it starts super strong. It's got a really good intro. I think as you're in the Vatican for the first like I was doing the same thing as you Dan, where it was like, oh, I want to do all this stuff, all this stuff is really well done, and then I begin to feel like, Okay, I realized I should be doing a lot of this stuff because there's ways to upgrade your character by finding these books, and they're all over the place, and there's dozens of them, it feels like, and and all these quests like lead to getting the points I can use to unlock these books. So I'm like, at a certain point, I'm starting to feel an obligation to do these things. But I'm realizing I am just kind of going to a place, checking a checking a box, going to another place, like doing another thing, flipping on a switch, not really doing a lot of puzzles solving that I thought was really intriguing at that point, and so it's like, okay, well I'll start to wrap things up. And then there was a couple more hours of the Vatican after that, and I was like, okay, so I'm like this is it's dragging. It feels like it's dragging. And then get to Giza's. You know, there's an interstitial scene there where things fun things happen, and that was good. Whenever it's like, okay, we're going to sort of put you onto the track of here's the big Indiana Jones action sequence. It is impeccable. It is so good, and then you get so you get the Giza. I'm like, oh, here we go again. It's gonna be like that again. And it turned out, now what, this is even better. This is actually a little bit better than the Vatican. There's even more fun stuff to do here. You know, you can get in the Nazi uniform and join an underground boxing ring and things like that, and then that can lead you over to the Nazi camp and there's fun things to poke around there. And I also began to like learn the sort of ebb and flow of the game where it's like, when I'm done, I should have been moving on quicker.
Speaker 3: And I did that.
Speaker 2: I moved the story along, and I was in Giza for much less time than I was in the Vatican. And then after that it just goes. I'm not gonna spoil anything, but it has. The set piece is one of my favorite set pieces in any media ever. You step in there and you see this thing, and you immediately go Okay, First of all, I think I know it's happening with this mcguffin.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Also, uh, this is just an incredible image. And I think what they're suggesting is when I get up there to do this thing. I think I know what's gonna happen, and when it does happen, it's so exciting. And you do the Indian like you were using your.
Speaker 3: Whip to get out of a bad situation, and it's it's just so cool.
Speaker 2: And then and then immediately, you know, zip off to another place where where on the other side of the world, and that's an awesome action sequence and it's bang bang bang bang super fast. And then by the time I get back to all right, now we're in the sort of immersive sim uh uh, you know, the Butcher's Bay Chronicles Rennick style game of poking around the world. I'm ready for it now. I'm like, okay, they have figured out the pacing as this game has gone along in a really strong way, and so I'm completely on board with everything it's doing now. So it's a it's a game that starts strong, might have some issues as people like learn it.
Speaker 3: Most people aren't having it.
Speaker 2: It was me it sounds like, but I've learned how this game is operating, and now that I'm on its wavelength, I'm just like, yeah, I completely appreciate everything about this.
Speaker 3: Game right now.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's okay. Well, now I want to I'm flying out tomorrow. I want to like at least get past this.
Speaker 3: Like set piece stuff before I take It's very cool.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to have the means to be able to play this before our own discussions. Huh.
Speaker 3: Same, Sometimes sometimes the timing be like that. Yeah, it just works out that way.
Speaker 1: So well, final question for you too, given the name of the game, Indiana Jones in the Great Circle, does this qualify in the best whole category or is it just a circle, the.
Speaker 5: Circle itself being a hole. No, because the circle circumnavigates the globe. There's no hold.
Speaker 3: No, there's there's a shoot circle, and there's a and there's a shoot hole eventually too. You'll see that. Yeah, Mike, I don't know what you're talking about. You're out of your element. Yeah, you're embarrassing yourself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I saw the trailer trailer around.
Speaker 3: Reference whatever.
Speaker 5: If it's going to beat that fucking toilet hole full of ship that the sound hill two guy buries his hand inside.
Speaker 1: The first hole is pretty good. I got a hole that I think might win the best hole.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm excited. That's very enticing. You like that, Sean.
Speaker 1: For you we're gonna be in Los Angeles for a little too long, you.
Speaker 2: Know, uh real quick. Every time I hear a Wilhelm scream in this game, I'm like, ah, there it is. I get pretty excited about stuff like that. All the sound of the sound design is so good where it's just like they are completely lifting the meaty punch sounds and things like that.
Speaker 1: Have have either of y'all ate a lemon?
Speaker 4: I saw so many lemons and I've just like shoved like five things of bread in my mouth one Scotty, Yeah, yeah, Scotti.
Speaker 3: It's so fucking funny.
Speaker 4: Every time, like all these stupid things you pick up to hit Nazis with, it's just like you'll pick up something that looks like a like a three hole punch or something. I don't know what the fuck this is, but you're beating the ship out of a guy with it.
Speaker 3: It's always sneaking up out behind.
Speaker 4: It's pretty forgiving with the stealth stuff, which I appreciate, and then you're just just whipping the shit out of these guys.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: I was completely dressed as as a Nazi in their and their things, so I was I had good stealth where I could just walk around however I wanted. But then I saw a Nazi on the other side of an elevator shaft, and I just I'm like, I can't even resist myself. So I just whipped him around the neck, pulled him down and he just did the thing where he's about the fall and then he fell down the elevator shaft it was, and then I did it while the elevator was coming up, so I could see his body was very good.
Speaker 3: It's just it's got some some good juice all across everything I'm dealing nice.
Speaker 4: I feel so excited whenever it's like I'm walking around Egypt and there's like a quarry and there's just like a Nazi like so standing by the cliff, just kind of looking down and like, oh, there's a if you click el three and earth where you just shove. So I just sprint up as then he just shoved this night off a clip. I watch his head dunk on the side of the cliff on the way down.
Speaker 1: And awesome.
Speaker 3: It's a good times. It's really good.
Speaker 1: I suspect we may hear more about Indiana Jones in the Great Circle, because I think our own Lucy James said it might be her game of.
Speaker 3: The Yes, she's very into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited to hear and see more eventually, and I want to see it.
Speaker 2: The small things, you know, you go into it, you go in the cave, you have your lighter and you start lighting daises and it's like that's cool. That feels nice, all those torches and you're just like, we have the towards, Like it feels so good every time. All the little stuff is really working kind of builds on top to make a very good game.
Speaker 4: It's fun when you get like the double handed weapons and there's like a weak wall or something, you're just like the other.
Speaker 2: And again the sound design is just like it's triggering that part of my brand. I remember that sound from the movie and the big clump of the metal clanging against the wall, like when he's trying to break the ground and uh, it was a temple of doom. Oh yeah no, no, say yeah yeah yeah. It's like that thumb thumb. You hear that and it's oh my god, they're just doing it. And that stuff can be like, oh, that's uh grating because they're trying to play on your sense of nostalgia. But here it mostly just feels like, no, they're picking from a menu of Indiana Jones isms and in a way that makes a lot of sense and feels right.
Speaker 4: And I love, like, you know, I'll be sneaking around to Egypt and that's where they introduce like more dogs and like, you know, you don't have to kill the dogs, so it's you know, I'm trying to be sneaky. A dog comes up and starts barking, and there's just a whip button and you can just whip above the dog's head, just like yah, yeah, dogs duns docile.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, me bring a whip to La. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's the last thing we should bring to Los Angeles. Out anyway, folks, I think that about does it for games. In the first segment, we're going to take quick Brick to Break and we'll be back with video game news. Now, all right, what if Grub you are just one row ahead of Mike, will you wait for him? Then?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: If I'm shooting, yes, of course they're like that.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 2: Like I would just be like, tell the person next to me, go ahead, I'm waiting for him, and then we would walk off together.
Speaker 3: My money thing was I was way in the front.
Speaker 2: He was way in the back, and there's a lot of people still to get off, and I'm just like, this is awkward.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna go where I know we're both going to be.
Speaker 2: So now it sounds like I was I was correct, is what it's starting to sound like.
Speaker 1: I feel like you two fly the most together out of everyone just because of like proximity, right.
Speaker 5: But not as often as you would think. I take a lot of fights out of Pittsburgh instead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was the last time we fly together.
Speaker 2: It was that, right, It was that Yeah, I probably it might have been this.
Speaker 1: I'm curious as to what is the etiquette when you guys, like maybe maybe are in different boarding groups and you pass each other as you're going to your seat. Is there like a plight Mike or grub?
Speaker 2: Well, so I quick because he would have to pass me because I usually I have a United cards, so I usually get at least boarding group two, and so he just says hi, and he makes me feel like a good person.
Speaker 5: This thing we usually just to take pictures of each other's like back of the heads or the top each other. Yeah, that's fun. Once we spot each other. That's always a goody fantastic. It's what because I don't I don't really care about sitting in the same like ro Jeff.
Speaker 3: You're gonna be whole time.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter, beautiful.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna be able to entertain him.
Speaker 1: Well, I need Jeff Grub to entertain me with the news.
Speaker 3: It's b.
Speaker 2: Hi, all right, let's get into some news. Lego's doing a bunch of stuff. They got a Lego Fortnite thing called brick Life, which stricks like life looks like GTA online with maybe a slight emphasis on role play, but definitely like you're gonna get a job in the game and you can collect stuff and have a house.
Speaker 1: Yeah please Jan Okay, two things. I said this during game mess It should be called bricked up.
Speaker 4: Of course I learned what that is because like when I googled CUTI cutt you bangs.
Speaker 3: Yes, I google, I do research. I like to be knowledgeable at things.
Speaker 4: There was a time months ago when Dominic Mysterio and Rhea were still together and Dominic or Rio was doing something like licking his face or whispering in his ear, and somebody in the crowd just.
Speaker 3: Goes, hey, don't we know you're bricked up and I was like, what does bricked up mean? And I googled it, like I see, okay, mean what do you think, Mike? You're a resident pervert.
Speaker 2: And I want to use context clues there you or you just wanted to be sure.
Speaker 4: I thought it was like a cocaine thing and I was like, how is this a reference to cocaine.
Speaker 3: I was like, Oh, it's an erection thing.
Speaker 1: I The second thing, Greb I was going to say is this can't be a proper Lego role play thing if people are actually talking. I needed to be like the first couple of Lego games where it's just like vocal.
Speaker 3: You should just have a button like.
Speaker 2: A Turbotoo Turbo tiny turbot trip blip and you can just do that all the time.
Speaker 3: That you didn't talk about that game enough. That game was fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very a huge part of my life because my kid's been playing it no stop and asking for help.
Speaker 3: So I've been playing a lot and like, oh, yeah, this game's definitely my top ten I love.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you talked about it because I don't think it would have been er like my purview if you hadn't talked about it. So, yeah, ever played tiny teri'es Turbo team Turbo Trip a Turbo Trip, Yes, yes, it's excellent.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The other thing that they're doing, Lego is or I'm sorry, Fortnite is going to have a five v five they're going they're doing counter strike.
Speaker 3: They're doing counter strike.
Speaker 2: It's called ballistic, but they're putting counter strike into Fortnite, and it's first person and you start with a gun in eight hundred dollars and if you kill people, you get money, and then you can use that money to buy better guns for the future rounds. It's counter strike. There's one map because it's counter strike. Uh yeah. Them doing a bunch of different stuff inside of Fortnite, it's been what they've been doing for a while. This feels like them doubling down because both these things feel like stuff that could be pretty huge if they take So. Yeah, but it's just at all what you guys want for Fortnite.
Speaker 3: I'm at the.
Speaker 2: Very least like the skins you owned will work in these things, right Yeah.
Speaker 1: Me personally, no, But I can see some of the valorant audience perhaps coming back to Fortnite because of this.
Speaker 5: Sure, maybe I meanwer still has the strong sort of hero abilities and the hero characters. I was always this distinguishing thing from Counterstrike. I'm sorry, it's hard when a genre already has two top dogs. We had that problem with MOBA's for a long time, right with with Legal Legends and Doda too. You had smaller successes, there were smites in other things.
Speaker 2: If Paragon was in Fortnite, do you think it would have done a lot better?
Speaker 5: Yes, but maybe not that much better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's kind of what I think for hearing this as well. Exactly.
Speaker 2: Would this is definitely gonna be better than bigger than Paragon, But will it be even as big as like Heroes of the Storm.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe, But I was making.
Speaker 5: That and now Algie Jeffiffer got that Epics game right before Fortnite was a Moba that didn't take off.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, either way, this is you know that they have Fortnite as this big pillar.
Speaker 3: Their idea is, let's.
Speaker 2: Make a metaverse surrounding all this stuff, so when you do make a purchase and you got to get a scan, it'll carry over and that'll keep people in our ecosystem, and that's very important us as a free to play game, and I get it, and at a certain point, like you can only like attract so many more people to Fortnite because it feels like everyone that's already played that game. So the path to growth is to get another new pillar that's just as popular. And listen, if I were in the situation and so one pitch these ideas, I'd be like, these sound like the best two scenarios to maybe get to that point. That doesn't mean they will succeed, but we'll see, all right. Suicide Squad's current season will be its last offline mode coming this week.
Speaker 3: Mike, I'm sure you're devastating.
Speaker 5: Suicide Squad was fine, Yeah, yeah, this is came out earlier, earlier this year, right, this was that was this? Yeah, Scalling bones, scalling bombs, Concording Stars Stars came out a year for Giants, kind but huge monumental flops. Jeff has a little elf visiting.
Speaker 2: Now, Where's where's your sausage sandwich?
Speaker 3: I didn't eat it, She walked up to Jeff. I think it's on the counter. I'm sorry, don't get mad. You're there.
Speaker 2: Everyone's hearing to be mad at me on the podcast, and I think it's very funny. I will help you during the next break.
Speaker 3: All right, she walked up just watched you. Do you know what?
Speaker 2: Do you know what that pose is? That's tiny terry that she's doing.
Speaker 3: It's amazing. God a right, I have.
Speaker 1: A kid, you knew?
Speaker 3: Oh yes, sorry, I forget about him.
Speaker 2: I've mentioned this before, but like the inside out, character like that are in charge of your brain.
Speaker 3: Hers our anger, Like.
Speaker 1: It's just anger, anger and anxiety.
Speaker 2: She's got a little lowis black and they're yelling at me pretty much consistently.
Speaker 5: Suicide Squad huh sees as it did? They had they had? They added three characters of this game? Why had any characters that wasn't the problem?
Speaker 1: Else do they add besides the Joker?
Speaker 5: Added the Joker that added Missus Freeze not mister free and some other person. I read the name of a moment ago and already forgot it. I didn't know who they were.
Speaker 1: James Gunn weird, right, yeah, James Gunn.
Speaker 5: You know, like, why not ask somebody who hasn't even watched Suicide Squad. I could think of characters that, like, why don't you had Peacemaker? I think people would like that or that polka dot guy. I don't know, I like guy.
Speaker 2: I think the future of this game is since it's getting its offline mode, which is gonna make you you can play the story, campaigns and post launch content without an Internet connection, which was a problem up to this point. People had to have an Internet connection. People complained about that, but that means this game is going to work in perpetuity.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I think we get like a couple of years out and people will go, hey, hitting gems from you know, the from twenty twenty twenty to twenty twenty five, and this will be on the list. I can be like, this is not that bad and you can play it offline though. Now I think that's what to.
Speaker 1: Buy for two bucks on a steam Stone. All Right, what's the word for, like a little bit lesser than a gem?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a diamond in the rough us even better?
Speaker 3: That's bulls gold. Yeah.
Speaker 5: That's to be clear when I say when I defend this game, it's not done enthusiastically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very mild defeat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, take off your joker cosplay then, Mike geez like, it's still.
Speaker 5: It's still again, it's still a game made by Rockstar. There's still some of that kind of you know, high end fidelity stuff here and there.
Speaker 3: The shooting feels fine.
Speaker 5: A lot of weird choices even story wise, right, like they just like don't do things that anybody would be happy about, like poison Ivyes, here in the plot twist is she's a child. Like that's not fun or interesting. In fact, that makes me feel kind of weird the ways that this character is usually presented. Yes, all sorts of just things like that. They're just kind of bizarre choices.
Speaker 4: Manati in the heath Ledger Joker get up and that was funny. And then I pictured full on Jared leto Joker like is playing that and that's there.
Speaker 3: Image tattooed on his head.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I never thought overseeing that first, like still of the Jared Little No One.
Speaker 3: We'll be seeing that. Ever, I don't know the worst thing.
Speaker 2: Uh, there's switched to rumors again. I'll just go I'll just hit the quick The quick hits here maybe could get announced in January, February, we know it's happening by March. By the end of March, we will have some sort of announcement. However that you know, whatever form that takes could get an event, maybe a launch event in May, because it could come out as soon as May or June. There's also some early peripherals that have started going up for pre order. Although they don't explicitly mentioned the switch to, they do it's a switch to, uh, a grip that would have to fit a switch to, and they say it's for future consoles. It's like West Generation ready, Yeah, Next generation ready.
Speaker 3: It's like, well, what the hell are could you be talking?
Speaker 5: Can't believe they are making peripherals for the PlayStation six?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: There it is, Come on, dude.
Speaker 3: Uh so yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: This switch to coming out by May or June sounds plausible to me.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys think that makes sense? They got start teasing that soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, certainly. I think by mid June. I would say. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's like they don't need to wait till the holiday. If they have a Mario game ready, this thing's gonna sell no matter what.
Speaker 5: Right, Oh, can you imagine just tink you about that, Dan, You're gonna be playing the next and no one's gonna be able to dispute this time mainline Mario game.
Speaker 4: This Well, let's hold off until we see it and then I will I'm the of what mainline is.
Speaker 5: It'll be so funny if it's like the most obvious next Mario game ever, you're still kind of like, I don't know, there's never.
Speaker 3: A question with Odyssey or Galaxy or anything.
Speaker 1: So from them, mister Mosquito, like, but Mario, there you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna be very excited, but it won't be mainline.
Speaker 5: All right, all right, sorry I brought up that word. Yeah, we will be playing Marrow games go. Coulda be great yep, And.
Speaker 2: We could be playing it within six months, so that's pretty wild. I I don't think there's a chance that we get like a trailer before the end of the year, because they're like, we're talking about maybe something at the Game Awards, but there's just no chance Nintendo enough I switch to at the Game Awards, right.
Speaker 1: No. Also, there's some like uh loose world news involving a prominent Nintendo character, and.
Speaker 3: Luigi was gonna be a big part of their launch thing.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, what.
Speaker 3: Talk about it.
Speaker 4: We don't need to talk about it, Mikeis Mike, don't.
Speaker 2: You remember you remember when the Queen died and they had the delay tears of the Kingdom, luigiman GIONI threw some war wrench in the works here for Nintendo.
Speaker 3: All right, that Luigi right on Twitter. You guys are good friends, right so I don't know him.
Speaker 5: Look out, Jeff, look out, Jeff.
Speaker 3: Oh no, what's happening? The tiny terry dance? She find her sandwich? I don't know. I put it on the cabin. I don't know. I will help you. Did you ask me? It's not my top.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, if kids this kid's food, she would kill me. Oh my god, she's attacking me anyhow?
Speaker 5: Oh she do if you if you abandoned her at an airport, she would not wine as much as you do.
Speaker 3: Six months later.
Speaker 2: I don't think so I will get it after this.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, I'm gonna keep going here. I'm gonna push this kid's face away. There we go.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Nintendo is reportedly porting another three D S game of Switch the term World.
Speaker 3: Finally, here we go, Robo Bot Dan.
Speaker 5: I just showed you the joys of Kirby. This was one of the better way.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 4: I reviewed this a Game Informer, and it's fine, Okay, I think if I didn't review it, I played it definitely and I thought it was fine.
Speaker 3: It's get link between worlds on something. I mean link between worlds definitely. God that would rule.
Speaker 2: But God, that's maybe behind in the line to like Wing Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.
Speaker 3: Would they do that first? They have, right, we try Princess would be easier, right, and they already had good HD remakes. Yeah. Well, the three y S games that they have parted to switch, what are those? Uh me topia? All right, they've done?
Speaker 2: Then they do one Oh Luigi's Mansion two?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean there's teams that were ported to three D S and then yeah, there.
Speaker 3: Donkey Kong Country HD returns. Yeah, gosh a ton I guess.
Speaker 5: Samus returned to Still on three D S. The game is even Super Mario three D Land three DS. What else we'll see a lot more of let's switch now that the we U library is drying up a bit.
Speaker 3: Good code name Steam Hell yeah, man.
Speaker 2: I was in that room when they announced that, and I was so excited. I love Intelligence Systems. It's the new Intelligence Systems game, Lincoln Text Lincoln, and I was like hot for that, and then and then it no, it's not It's.
Speaker 4: Better than stell diver. We're talking to shitty three D S games first party.
Speaker 2: Man, I would think he's still yeah, man, code name Steam is a bad games.
Speaker 3: Then used the new three dub.
Speaker 2: But it's like it's a strategy game where basically all your decisions don't matter because it doesn't give you enough information to actually put any strategy into effect.
Speaker 3: So it's just bad. And it's super slow too. You have to wait a long time for everyone's turns. Yeah. Then they updated to be faster and it's still super slow. What are they?
Speaker 5: What are they doing porting Plant and rebo Bop before Triple Deluxe're just skipping a Kirby game.
Speaker 3: They already did Return to Dreamland.
Speaker 2: Yeah, order, Yeah, Return to Dreamland is like the first and that that set of three that used the same engine.
Speaker 5: With that engine, and then it was Triple Deluxe, which was the first three. Yes, when it's also very good.
Speaker 7: And also the game, Yeah, there's a mass attack was that DS that was Yes, that was the traditional yeah one that wasn't a bunch of time that one weak squads, the traditional one.
Speaker 5: Massive text is like there's a bunch of Kirby's right, Yeah, And then there was Rainbow Curse Canvus Curse.
Speaker 3: On d campus Curse is my favorite Kirby game? Still awesome?
Speaker 2: Yes, I think to answer your question though, Mike, is I think Planet Robo got like, oh, it was pretty popular, Like I think it's the one that's so.
Speaker 5: It definitely stuck around people's minds more people love plan. It has a great hook, right Carbi and Giant Max.
Speaker 3: Great, that's fantastic, all right.
Speaker 2: Ten Cent reportedly wants a greater say over Ubisoft as investment discussions continue. Basically, it breaks down this like this, ten Cent already owns ten percent Ubisoft in dire straits. Investors are not happy. So the plan is yieves Chemol and his family will take all take a deal to ten Cent and say, hey, you buy all the outs help us buy all the outstanding shares out there, and then we'll take the company private. But the Gamol family specifically eaves, but the Gemo family will still have a majority control over You be soft, but then you'll be the minority owner and you'll have a little bit less than we will and ten cents going, why would we want that? You are the people that got this company into the situation in.
Speaker 3: The first place.
Speaker 2: Why would we want to take this company private and let you maintain full control. Wouldn't we want if we're doing such a dractive change to change things And that's seems to be the hang up here now on this thing.
Speaker 3: So it's odd.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't want test it to own ubi soft, but if they were going to buy ub soft, they would buy ubi soft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, and they could do that now, you know, this is the anticipation of this has caused the stock price to go up for you be Soft.
Speaker 3: But that's the only good news they have right now.
Speaker 2: Everything else, Like there was a chart that went around in the last week of how much the companies make per employee, Like for every employee you have, how much revenue do you generate? And like EA was something like for every employee that we have, we make around five hundred to six hundred thousand dollars in revenue. So you can imagine like you have an average wage of one hundred hundred and twenty five thousand. Maybe that's generous.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's a huge margin there where you can make a lot of money. You be Soft was at like ninety five. I have one thousand dollars per employee. Which is pretty rough, and they were at the bottom of the chart. They have a ton of people that they employ and their games aren't selling. It's the recipe for disasters. Something does have to change, and right now it seems like the thing they're hoping changes is Assassin's Creed Shadows will come out and sell a ton and they're just hoping for the best there, and hey, I hope that game does well, but good good luck.
Speaker 3: I just don't know.
Speaker 2: Hoping the for Assassin's Creed to change everything is probably not a great strategy. Last couple of things here. The Thing remastered is now available. Night Dive just basically dropped it out of nowhere. It was supposed to come out twenty twenty four. It was getting near the end of the year. Everyone's going, is this actually going to come out? And then they just released it. Boy, I love Night Dive all their work, and the word is this is awesome. The word is they did another great job on this game.
Speaker 3: Did you play this back in the day?
Speaker 2: I think I feel like I remember playing it, but I don't remember.
Speaker 3: I must have emulated it or something. Is it meant to be? I'm trying to remember.
Speaker 4: It was like a new story like in that world or is it like Kurt Russell or they're trying to be like with The movie.
Speaker 2: Set shortly after the events of the nineteen eighty two John Carpenter film, players assume the role of Captain Blake, a US Army Special Forces captain investigating the disappearance of a research team in Antarctica.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm curious check it out because I did recently watch the thing again and I'm just a whole new appreciation for that movie right now. So I would love to see a video game take on that.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about? They Live? Is really good?
Speaker 4: The idea of They Live is more interesting than watching it. I love the theme, and that's fair. The visuals are really cool and everything. It's just like it doesn't really build to like a super exciting ending or anything like that.
Speaker 3: But I like it a lot.
Speaker 2: I think that's a fair because I'm like I was going to say, I think about that movie all the time, which is another way of saying what you said.
Speaker 4: So it's like, yeah, no, I'm very glad it exists. It's just not like the most exciting John Carpenter rewatch, you.
Speaker 3: Know, sure, yes, John Carpenter rules.
Speaker 5: It's not a big horn guy, but I saw the thing for the first time, not this Hallen but last Salloween.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 5: I really liked it, and they wanted to go back to this game, and like announced this remaster right around then. I'm like, well, that's convenient. I definitely want to get to this. I bet I'm going to enjoy it a lot.
Speaker 3: Yep. That does remind me.
Speaker 2: Do we have a best Old Game category for like remakes?
Speaker 1: And so I.
Speaker 3: Can dominate something I get and then everybody just didn't win. There's one you like. I think I.
Speaker 5: Don't think you did. I think you immediately joined the no.
Speaker 3: I think I had your back.
Speaker 2: I think I was defending you from backalar yep. And so this is why I leave you on planes, because you don't ever remember when I stick up for wow.
Speaker 4: Wow, we don't have a best old game category? Should I just call it best old game?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Best old game?
Speaker 2: Because there's a I was like, I was like doing some stuff out in the yard and I was thinking about a bunch.
Speaker 3: I'm like, we should do that, and then I.
Speaker 5: Especially your door what you definitely have been finishing, right, Jeff, Yeah, I'm putting.
Speaker 4: That down paper Mario, is this now? Is this a remake? Remaster?
Speaker 3: H I think it should be all of it.
Speaker 2: Like anyway, then an old game popped back up, even if it's just something you played that's old. And then if it will just have to like go up against actual remasters and remakes, and if we want to, if we get enough and we want.
Speaker 3: To spread it out into two different categories, we can.
Speaker 4: Have lumping remakes in with old games we played. I think so, yeah, Paper Mario, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: I felt bad about not giving the getting to Riven. Apparently that was very good. Then I guess, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's that's one.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: What I do each year around this time is I go through my Steam and sort by release date, and then I just add everything to a list called Game of the Year twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: And so I'm gonna see if I can I put a bunch of Persona three, Dragon Quest three.
Speaker 5: Hut NERD games on remakes.
Speaker 1: Dan, if you have the time, could you add Pegel one and two just because I just love two.
Speaker 4: I just added Zelda Windwaker HD since I beat that this year. Okay, okay, find out if wind Waker is better than pegl Finally, I think you're the ones that you just happen to place here will have Well, they're eligible.
Speaker 5: I think they're going to have a harder time of winning.
Speaker 1: Exactly that there's a strong likelihood of tam nominating Bloodborne.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, well I'll let him do that if he wants to bring it up. But I'm just gonna go ahead and put a legacy of Caine on here because.
Speaker 1: Get him to war with himself.
Speaker 2: And killing time Colon resurrected.
Speaker 3: Okay, Mickey, is the remake this year? Yes? It was another only.
Speaker 5: Okay, Getting Evil got remastered?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was actually very good.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, Yeah, I feel like I'll think of more as we go.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I'm glad we did that. So it's on there now it's from the docks, so awesome. All right?
Speaker 2: And then h last thing here, people are hyping up the Game Awards. Uh just Gordon joined Tom Ward and Andy Robertson to be like, hey, this thing is going to be really exciting because we're going to be there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do you Yeah, what.
Speaker 1: Do you guys?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they're excited about us. I think that's what it is.
Speaker 1: Well, what do you just think it could be well, I don't know, we'll see gameplay of something we weren't expecting to see. There's probably there has to be one shadow drop, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there could be yeah, probably uh and then you know the song maybe Silk song. Tom Warren and Jess Cordon are guys that like Fallo on Xbox dues. Do you think it could be like Perfect or Heart Dark, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Crimson Skies, Blood Wake.
Speaker 2: Killer Killer Instinct is back Blinks the time Sweeper Cell Damage.
Speaker 3: I was looking.
Speaker 5: I would really like a guys I care about that Twisted Metal.
Speaker 4: I feel like there was like did that get canceled? There was like a Twisted Metal they were talking about like a couple of years ago. Yes, it's just gone now, okay, yes, so it.
Speaker 2: Was it started at one studio and that studio released Destruction All Stars and then they're like, well, we're going to move it to this other studio. And it was it was gonna be free to play under Destruction All Stars debs and then and they moved into another studio and then it got canceled with that studio. Basically that show. People like that show, the sort of like the you know, the a synergy with.
Speaker 3: That and that's not gonna happen now.
Speaker 2: It seems like, all right, yeah, I don't know what else to think about the Game Awards, like what could be a big announcement. I am very happy to just go and watch this thing though, and let things surprise me, and I hope I hope it. Like usually at this time, everyone's going, you know, don't get your hopes up too much. Jeff can only control so much. And now everyone's going, now forget that noise. Let's let's get nuts about this one.
Speaker 3: So I hope time that one seems very possible. Whi's been a bit, hasn't it since Village yea?
Speaker 5: And talks of.
Speaker 2: Nine getting debuted over the summer, right, so it would be ready to show off by now, I would imagine, Uh, all right, that's what I have for headlines.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Kind of a short and sweet one this week, as we have this weird episode handing the show back to Jim.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jeff Grub. It's never a weird one because we're the weird ones. That's right, folks, We've got a baby's handful of emails that we are going to read to you right after this quick little brick break. Emails BombCast at giant bomb dot com is the email address to send your emails too. You can send an email about virtually any and everything you want. To avoid a potentially awkward social interaction, send an email to the BombCast if you have a question about hardware or suggestions you want about video games. Hit are your boys, We got answers for you, or we will just have more questions for you. Speaking about questions first email. This episode is a quiz and quiz is involved a lot of questions. This comes from Nathan in Vancouver. Nathan writes in in honor of the end of the two billion dollars grossing Eras Tour, I've attached ten question question quiz for the GB crew to test their lyrical knowledge and identify if the lyrics are from a video game or Taylor Swift billion dollars two billion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you hear about this. Erasing was a big deal.
Speaker 3: I see. I think Nicki Glazer has gone to like most of those shows, so that's.
Speaker 5: I feel bad I didn't go now, like I should have just gone to one of these. It seems like it's important.
Speaker 1: I'm an important, like I'm kind of like a swifty but like honest to God. Probably one of the best shows I've ever been to.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Nathan continues, to the best of Google's knowledge, each of the video games songs included were originally written for the game. The order of the questions are randomized, and Jan can award bonus podcast podcast points if the crew guesses the game where Taylor Swift era associated with the lyrics.
Speaker 3: I gonna know neither of these unless it's the Snake Eater song.
Speaker 1: We're not gonna go that.
Speaker 3: Shh Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to abstain from this quiz because I think I know all the answers. But quote number one video game or Taylor Swift. This is my last chance to hold onto hope before it slips away.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a Kingdom.
Speaker 5: Heart's I don't think it's Keen of Hearts. This is one of the three songs.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say video games.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm going to say Taylor Swift.
Speaker 1: Then, okay, Dan, you said video game. Mm hmm it is a video game from Persona five. Oh yeah, of course I was about to say that.
Speaker 5: Now I'm embarrassed.
Speaker 1: Okay, second quote, you kept oh shoot, you kept me like a secret, but I kept you like an oath, Taylor Swift, so swifty.
Speaker 3: I'm yeah, that just very much rings like Taylor Swift to me. Taylor Swift, it is.
Speaker 1: From the Red era. Oh okay, when everything fades away, your voice still echoes in my heart.
Speaker 3: Taylor Swift.
Speaker 5: I would yeah, I felt like a Swift to me. It could easily be some game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna go with Taylor Swift as well.
Speaker 1: It is a video game near automative fourth one. The lights are so bright, but they never blind me.
Speaker 3: Taylor Swift, Taylor Swift.
Speaker 5: I need, I need to make up ground video game.
Speaker 1: Taylor Swift shat and he guesses for the era Gentleman blue, Silver and Gold. Nope, nineteen eighty nine, Sapphire.
Speaker 3: Ruby my era.
Speaker 1: They do just mean album right, Yes, yes, they already had a word for that. But it's not enough. Fact, it's not enough for Tailor, you know, Fifth one, like Shadows in the Dark, I see you, but can't hold on.
Speaker 5: That sounds like a video game.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with video games, Trell anime games.
Speaker 1: It seems uh it is indeed a video game. Final Fantasy fifteen anime game.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, I thought it just had take on me.
Speaker 1: We'll make it through the storm, no matter where we are.
Speaker 3: Taylor Swift, I'm gonna go video game.
Speaker 5: Okay, I think Swift.
Speaker 1: It is video game legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild.
Speaker 4: They should do lyrics like the rap at the end of Gears of War that the Coltrane things or the Rogue Warrior one with Mickey Rourke rapping.
Speaker 2: Oh, is that like one of the things that the bird guy saying.
Speaker 3: I guess he wouldn't explain that.
Speaker 2: Words and Zelda ones right, yeah, But but in Breath of the Wild it was that bird that played the post.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's the second one. Oh right, important.
Speaker 5: I didn't I did not mean take on me, I met, stand by me, I found fancy fifteen joke my bed. Oh the next one, but I was working on that for a while. I was like, that's not right.
Speaker 1: The next one is. And the skeletons in both our closets plotted hard to mess this.
Speaker 3: Up, ghosts and goblins. I'm gonna I'm gonna say Taylor, and it's Taylor.
Speaker 5: That's gonna be Taylor.
Speaker 1: It is indeed Taylor. The Speak Now era Last Three Here Boys video game where Taylor Swift I've been living in a dream, but it's not what it seems.
Speaker 3: A name, and I'm gonna go video game as well.
Speaker 5: I gotta go Taylor.
Speaker 1: Well, Mike, you're wrong because it is a video game. Kingdom.
Speaker 3: You're getting kind of crushed.
Speaker 1: I've been living in a dream, but it's not what it seems.
Speaker 2: I was shoot, gonna say that sounds like Kingdom.
Speaker 3: Hearts too. I'm like, they can. That's incredible.
Speaker 1: It's from the song Sanctuary.
Speaker 3: It's our Sanctuary. That's my favorite one.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it is.
Speaker 3: It's my favorite.
Speaker 5: Now I'm like, try to listen. I'm trying to place that in the song. I'm like, I don't even seeing you off.
Speaker 3: Stay sure?
Speaker 5: Now they don't say that, is it the part they say backwards because that's cheating.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Final two here in the Silence of the Night, whispers Guide the Way.
Speaker 3: Taylor Swift video game.
Speaker 1: Sift. It is a video game, fire ambled three houses. In the final one, Taylor Swift or video game I polish up real nice.
Speaker 3: I'll go with Taylor Taylor Swift.
Speaker 5: I think that this one's a trick question. I think it's Bob Dylan.
Speaker 3: It's both.
Speaker 1: It's actually Timothy shallow May it is Taylor Swift, but the song is called be Jeweled, so.
Speaker 3: It was a true questions kind of right.
Speaker 1: Mike, you can redeem yourself and win this whole game if you can identify the era that that song is from.
Speaker 3: Okay, per game gear era.
Speaker 5: Well, I know there's a red Era era, a Dead Poet Society era.
Speaker 1: Nope, it is the Midnight's era. Damn all right, we gotta get on OUTI here. So maybe two more emails called Tortured Poets Society.
Speaker 5: Tortured Poet Society confuse, Oh captain, my captain?
Speaker 1: All right. Next email comes from phil and Calgary, a very Canada rich email segment. Hello bomb friends, I need your expert advice at my workplace. I've been pulled into a secret Santa gift exchange that I didn't really want to be part of. Being the only one who said no felt worse than just joining in. What do you recommend for a gift under fifty dollars? Possible gift receivers are men and women ages from around thirty to fifty five. Hope you can help fill in.
Speaker 2: Cal stink bombs like one of those cheap Amazon Chinese video game handhelds A nice salt.
Speaker 5: Wow, these terrible? Well they can getting better, I have to say. I guess, gosh, I don't know. Fifty bucks huh fifty bucks is how far does that get you anymore? These days? Kind of rough?
Speaker 2: Can we do a secret Sanna? I know we don't have any time. I know we don't have time, but what if we do?
Speaker 3: What if we were like just you did it?
Speaker 1: A five dollars limit? All right?
Speaker 5: Listen up Duke's Cannon. They make a bar of soap called a lump of coal. So it's kind of Christmas seemed it funny.
Speaker 3: Definitely seen it.
Speaker 2: Three times, and every time I'm like, I gotta get that for Mike. Every single time.
Speaker 1: We should do a secret Sanna. Maybe twenty dollars limit, and we can only shop at that overpriced candy store.
Speaker 3: No Spencers, no Spencer's gifts.
Speaker 1: Okay, everyone gets still better?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: The gifts?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I thought it was.
Speaker 5: It's the only thing I think about what Spincers.
Speaker 3: I haven't been. I think about the still doos.
Speaker 4: All I think about Spencer's gifts is like bad punny T shirts and like posters of a wizard with a.
Speaker 5: Black Baver made it back to the dodo section.
Speaker 3: No, I was probably afraid. If you look around you can't see the dildo section. It's because you are the dildo. Oh my god, Wow, is that a new thing or they always been in.
Speaker 1: The dildo I've always been business.
Speaker 3: Brother. Wow, it's just like donkey.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, you know, kiss balls or whatever you know, like on the dice. But I need to know they didn't straight up shoot dildos.
Speaker 5: Straight up shoot didas.
Speaker 1: Your secret person, I'm get them a magic eight ball. I feel like that'd be a fun goof in.
Speaker 2: That's what now sounds like what the what the dildo gun in Saints Row would be called the shot shoot dildo.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't think we helped to fill out that much.
Speaker 5: You get that bar of soap, but I mean that's not super close to fifty though it might be a little cheap.
Speaker 2: We don't get a lump of coal for your coworker. That's something you get for someone you're like cool with.
Speaker 3: What is Michael?
Speaker 5: Oh, come on, they go get It's not actually ump of coal, it's a bar of soap.
Speaker 2: If you get like they're worth actually fifty dollars you're gonna look like.
Speaker 3: A real jerk.
Speaker 5: Yeah, God, fifty dollars is a lot for a company, Santa By, Like, what are you a stockbroker?
Speaker 3: Fifty dollars?
Speaker 1: What are you a ceo?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Maybe a waffle maker, like a Mickey Mouse waffle.
Speaker 3: Maker, Elmo toaster, a bout some of those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a thermos perhaps, I feel like these days it's over fifty. Maybe like a smaller one, so you don't.
Speaker 3: Okay, go to like Barnes and know whatever.
Speaker 5: Get one of those like overpriced coffee books, but they're on sale right about Space or the Beatles or something that's fine.
Speaker 3: Copy of Rising Z Samurai Gunman that was an empty button. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Or go to the local dollar store and load up on DVDs and that's hours of entertainments.
Speaker 2: Get a lot of old copies of EGM for fifty dollars off eBay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh.
Speaker 1: Ship, Yeah that's true.
Speaker 5: Just go get the scratch off tickets. Get two twenties and a ten.
Speaker 3: That's always a good one. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I actually enjoy that.
Speaker 2: I got one of those for aj Minatti's birthday once forgot to give it to him, scratch it off myself months later. One one hundred dollars and then forgot to ever cash it in and then expired.
Speaker 3: Well that's awesome. Fuck yeah, will you? Will you just stop torturing me and my family? Do you know about this now?
Speaker 5: That's incredible funny though, it's funny.
Speaker 3: That difference between me and you.
Speaker 4: By the time I was done scratching that off, I'd be speeding back to the gas station.
Speaker 2: I kept it like in my glove compartment. I want to cash that in.
Speaker 3: I have one hundred.
Speaker 2: Dollars, not going to get that to a jagons and then I forgot, And I think that was myself punishing myself.
Speaker 3: Credible.
Speaker 5: I mean, do those expire? Do you have to catch the master?
Speaker 2: It said you have to cash it in with like one hundred and eighty days or something like that, So that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Half a year waited more than half a year? Oh man?
Speaker 1: What if the game awards, which is getting to smoke and shigs and scratch off tickets anyway? Next email Energy comes from Matt in Australia, second and last email of the show. Hey, GB crew, all the milk talk in recent months has me baffled here in Australia drinking milk as an adult is totally normal Victoria. We have the brand Big M which advertises itself towards adult You can see some of the TV commercials on their marketing website. Some of the promotional flavors they've had in past include banana split, honey comb, and salted caramel. My question is, if you had to design a flavored milk drink you would actually drink, what would it be? With Love Matt In Australia.
Speaker 4: Orange crimst milk is really good. There's a place in Kansa city that does that. It's really good.
Speaker 1: Uh just give me Horta. I love Horhata.
Speaker 2: The people in this commercial are are drinking, they are having like summer fun, and they have a cooler full of milk.
Speaker 3: Like it's a bud Light commercial.
Speaker 2: This is another planet to me. It's like the whole joke of the Akerman where he is dying in the heat and he drinks.
Speaker 3: Milk and he's like, all milk was a bad choice? Yeah? Like that.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, that's funny because it's very very true. It'd be a terrible choice on a hot summer day. And all these people look like they've never been happier.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, this is bizarre.
Speaker 1: It's not even a milk mustache in one of these, it's just a whole milk beard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what are they even milking down there?
Speaker 3: Spiders?
Speaker 5: Wait?
Speaker 3: Do they have cows? Delicious spider milk? Certainly have Australia.
Speaker 1: Okay, they have cows.
Speaker 5: When I think of Australian animals, it takes a while to I get to cows.
Speaker 3: But they have.
Speaker 1: Wow. Apparently there was a thread of like only one flavor of big m can stay and that was quite the predicament.
Speaker 3: And creamsickle milk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's super good. It's coming called Chateau. And they do like root beer flavored milk, they do orange creaml it's all super good. When I was down there for the Extra Life conference, I was like, holy shit, I haven't had this in like twenty years, and it's so damn good.
Speaker 3: I think my problem is the milk. Yes, anything you add to it's not going to get rid of them. Like picture.
Speaker 5: I don't like the flavor. I just I just don't like milk.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 4: I don't ever go out of my way to have it. But when I have it, I'm like, all right, that's fine. I put it in my What did I put it in an oatmeal to make oatmeal?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sure, I don't like free and I put in my cereal and that's about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, any thick drinks? I like milk shake? You don't like milkshit, I don't like the I don't like milkshakes. I'll just give me ice cream. What is this watered down ice cream?
Speaker 3: Do you have almond milk? That's what I have. I'm fine with almond milk. Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: Thank you everyone for sending an email to the show. We probably have one more real official bomb cast in the year, and I'll try and throw those in there the last email of this show. Sorry emailer, I don't have your name written here, but they write in your giant bomb. Jan and Grubber cool, Dan and Mike are not parentheses. If they try and say otherwise, it makes them even less cool.
Speaker 3: I've never considered myself cool. I mean me neither. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think I'm real cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'm cool. I think I've just come to terms with it. This is gonna lead into the heel. You are cool, You are cool. I think you are also cool.
Speaker 3: I don't like I don't like having someone to me, I'm not cool. Well, you're being kind of uncool about it.
Speaker 1: Actually cool, folks does it for emails and that does it for the show once again. Quick reminder Giant Bomb at night this Wednesday, five pm Pacific Standard time. Grub's got a whole bunch of guests lined up and we're gonna have a fun time on the couch. And then we're also gonna have a fun time counting down to the Game Awards with our homies from Game Spot. A lot of fun segments will hand out there. We're gonna be holding down the ford. These boys are gonna be looking so fresh, so clean out there in their their new their their their proper formal where we will also be making a mad dash to a conference room or my hotel room to be talking over the Game Awards. We're gonna oh, yes, I've been figured out yet. You're doing that. We're doing it, but I have yet to figure out where.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, a lot.
Speaker 4: When did the Mario trailer reaction just on the steps of a place in New York City, And that was fun, that was good that.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Rory is just fiddling around with a newspaper next to us, and it's just.
Speaker 3: A random old man and as well.
Speaker 1: Have we announced that people the other things we're doing Friday Saturday? I don't think we have.
Speaker 3: I think we've loosely talked about it.
Speaker 2: I've mentioned it on one game this morning, I think today.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we'll just say it here, folks. We are not having a big stage show to conclude Game of the Year this year. We will be pre recording in person in Los Angeles our Game of the Year deliberations. Do not worry. We have a bunch of f fun categories lined up and we will also be crowning our Game of the Year. Take your bets now, start placing your bets now, folks, see who's going to influence the odds boys. Anything else to say before we get on out of here.
Speaker 3: I don't think. So.
Speaker 2: We will do that stuff out over the next couple of weeks. There will be a Game to year, lists from our friends and stuff like that. So your friend you're hearing this, you got your run out of time, hit me up. We'll get you on the website with a list and all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Disney stuff cool, that's a big part of it.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, maybe it's because you haven't had an erotic dream.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all the cool dudes you're having erotic dreams. Yeah, cool erotic dreams. Okay, I'll try tonight.
Speaker 2: I'll think alright, have erotic dream Jesus.
Speaker 4: Christ like the coolest dude, and my head went to John Moxley. If it suddenly turned out that he was a big Disney adult, I think it'd be like, oh, we were wrong about him.
Speaker 1: Wrestlers really love the parks though, David.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like Johnny Garganos and stuff in the world, not the like cool ones. You know, Cody's a big doork.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he's cool.
Speaker 1: Gents. I can't wait to see your lovely faces in sunny Los Angeles tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow.
Speaker 1: By the time you're listening to this podcast, we will all probably have touchdown and are getting the ball rolling. Uh special shouts shout out as always to the one and only Emma Fife. Oh my god, thank you so much, Emma, Thank you so much, Emma, Thank you so much to uh you listening at home.
Speaker 3: We're almost done for the year. Guys. What the ship December nine?
Speaker 1: I hope this kid finds her sausage sandwich.
Speaker 2: By the way, she's not coming back down to attack me.
Speaker 1: It's all right, folks. He's been he's been, Daddy's been grub I'm the Jin and I love you. Good Bye.