Speaker 1: And an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. The Dodgers are in Saint Louis and I'm joined right now by my guy, Dodger third baseman, Max Munsey, who has a great event coming up on June twelfth. It's Uncork for a Cause. It's going to benefit the wildfire recovery and youth programs for the La Dodger Foundation and the YMCA. If you want to attend for a great cause and meet Max Munsey, maybe get a signed wine bottle, go to Uncork for a Cause dot com. Mounsey thanks a lot for the time and can't wait to see you out there.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me. It's gonna be a fun event. I'm really looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Are you a big wine drinker?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say I'm a huge wine drinker, but you know I enjoy glass every now and then, and especially if Freddy's picking the bottle, it's you know, he always gets some good stuff.
Speaker 1: Now, an event like this would intimidate people like me. Can you put everybody's minds at ease that you can get in You could support a cause and not feel intimidated by a fancy charity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely. You know, it's kind of for everybody, and it's it's one of those things where there's gonna be tons of items that are available for auction, you know, and some will be cheaper, some will be a little more expensive. But the only thing to know is that all of the proceeds from that one hundred percent of it are going to help the wildlife relief efforts or the wildfire relief efforts. And you know, to me, that was the most important thing. Uncourt for a Cause reached out to us about, you know, hey, we'd like to do doing a you know, an event with you guys. Is there a charity you'd like to support, And you know, Kelly immediately kind of looked at me and was like, hey, we could do something to help out, you know, the fire relief stuff. And you know, for us sitting at home, you know, during the off season, watching just the pure devastation happen really hit us hard. You know, for us being in La as long as we've been, and you know, seeing how we've become a part of the community, We've built our home there, our kids have grown up there. You know, La is as much at home to us as anywhere else. Now at this point, and so to see that kind of devastation was truly heartbreaking to us, and you know, we wanted to find a way to reach out and help. And when on Cork for cause, you know, came at us to say, hey we can throw an event. Is there a charity? Like I said, Kelly immediately was like, hey, this is a good opportunity. We should do this, and so we kind of jumped on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the month sees certainly have been a big part of the La fabric playing for the Dodgers since twenty eighteen, and so many of us want to do so much more, but things like this that present themselves certainly can make a difference.
Speaker 2: Yes, it really can. And for those that aren't able to attend, there's still a way you can. You know, you can sign up on the website and the items that aren't bought at the event can still be you know, you can still have a chance to you know, get in there even if you're not attending the event. So that way we're you know, we're hoping everything goes and like I said, one hundred percent the proceeds they're going to go to help out people. And you know, we got some really cool items.
Speaker 1: We got some wine.
Speaker 2: Bottles, we got some bats, some balls with some jerseys, and you know they're all signed by the players, and it's just it's it's gonna be really fun event, and you know, it's just it'll be a nice night forone to kind of get away from baseball and you know, just enjoy each other's company and you know, do do something good for the community.
Speaker 1: On corkforcause dot com is where you can bid on those items and also buy your event tickets for June twelfth. It's right around the corner. Max Mounsey is our guest, all right, getting away from a great cause and into baseball month. See, you certainly have turned your season around since the beginning of May. Everybody's looking at those eyeglasses sunglasses, but there's gotta be more than just that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it is hard to deny that I started playing better as soon as I started wearing them. But you know, for me, it was just find refinding the confidence of myself. You know, you get off to that kind of start and it's tough to deal with, especially at the beginning of the season. You know, I threat throughout the course of seven eight months everyone's going to go through a slump at some point. Unfortunately, I just happened to have one right out of the gate, and that makes it look worse than what it actually is. And you know, I was hitting the ball hard, it just wasn't getting any results for it. And you know, I obviously wasn't having any power numbers. And for a guy like me, that's kind of tough when you know, that's what everyone looks for when it comes to me, and you know, finally getting some success with that has you know, really given me, you know, just newfound confidence back in myself. And you know, any positivity you can get in this game goes a long way.
Speaker 1: Everybody talked about the Soto shuffle when you were playing the Mets, but when you were hitting those home runs against the Yankees and Mets, I know when you got your confidence back by the way you just flip your bat and just your demeanor when you get a hold of one. Am I seeing it correctly? The confidence is back?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I mean a couple of those were you know, a little emotional. You know, I talked about that the second one the other day after the mistake I made, And you know, people always ask me where the bat flips come from. And that's usually it's just the emotion coming out of me at the time. It's never planned. It's just, you know, that's just what comes out. And you know, I'm glad that everyone has fun with it and they enjoy it. And you know, for me, it was always just a thing that, you know, we're celebrating a home run. It was never about any you know, anyone on the other side. It's never ever been about that. It's just been about me and thee and the teammates, and you know, I try to keep it that way.
Speaker 1: Uncork for a Cause dot Com is the website for the great event that the month Sees are hosting on June twelfth. Max Munsey is our guest. Speaking of another teammate, You've been talking about him, other guys have been supporting him, Michael Conforto. How big of a hit was that for him yesterday? And a big win for you guys.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was huge. You know, we were all so pumped in the dugout one. It gave us a lead in two. Just for Mikey to get that hit. You know, that's something that can change your season around right there. You get a big hit in that situation, and you know, as I was just talking about, you get a little positivity, a little confidence back in yourself. That can be all the difference you need in the world. You can tinker with mechanics and you know, approaches and anything you want, but if you don't have any confidence in yourself, it's tough. And you know, I don't I'm not speaking for mikey on that. I don't know what he's been going through. But for me personally, if you're in that moment and you get that big hit, sometimes that changes things for me. When we were in Arizona, I got, you know, the big hit offf Ginkle to kind of tie the game up or get us wonder and closer, and for me that was kind of what started changing things around for me. And so you know, you get a big hit in that moment that can change your season.
Speaker 1: It seemed like for Tanner Scott that tenth inning to set up your heroics, the team's heroics, striking out Soto and Alonso to get you guys to the bottom of the tenth inning, and then yesterday same thing for a closer. I would imagine it's for everybody.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter what your position is. You know, closing is one of the hardest things to do in this game. You have to have a different mindset to be able to do that. And you know, for for Tanner those two innings, he looked like the Tanner Scott that we've seen in the past. And you know, as I said postgame one of those days, the stuff just from the side just felt like I had a little bit more jump on. It felt a little bit crisper. And you know, the vela can always say whatever the villa wants, but you can notice things from the side in the batter's box. The ball just feels different sometimes, and you know, for me, it just looked it looked different coming out of his hand. It looked good.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go, you talked about the defense. I saw Mookie Betts working with you the other day. How much has Mookie clicked with you as far as the left side of the infield and just what he was showing you.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's been huge. You know, he's been helping me out a bunch. He's just trying to, you know, help me understand things. And we we we bounce ideas, you know, back and forth off of each other. And you know, for Mookie he had to gain a wealth of knowledge, you know, transferring from the outfield back to shortstop. And you know, for for him, he feels like getting that wealth of knowledge, he can help spread that to me. And you know, he talks about a lot of stuff that I've never even thought about on defense before. And so it's it's he's been, you know, unbelievably helpful and again he's been trying to help me get my confidence back over there, and you know, it's one of those things where we're out there every single day and we're we're we're talking, we're communicating, and it's been been amazing having him over there.
Speaker 1: It's amazing to have Max Munsei back for another year. Two time World Series champion. Him and his wife Kelly obviously have their hearts for all those affected by the wildfires, and the event Uncorked for a Cause is on June twelfth to benefit all those and you can get tickets at uncorkfora Cause dot com. Max thanks a lot for the visit. You know, we love you, and we'll we'll have a celebration a happy flight to San Diego after this series. In good old Saint Louis, that sounds great.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me