Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: All right, so here we are on yet another weekend fix for the Gary and Shannon Show, and this is the added version of the regular hijinks that we can't get into during the.
Speaker 1: Week This reminds me sitting in this little room with no windows.
Speaker 2: And it's different. It's a different studio than we do the regular show.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of when the show had not yet begun and they didn't know what that show was going to be. It was from one to three, and they did not know what that was going to be. Now, there was another show on the air at the time, so everything was very secret, very hush hush. Should I even be telling this story.
Speaker 3: Anyway, It's short, that's what happens.
Speaker 1: And so there were different ideas percolating of what the show would be, and our boss had us go into one of these little secret rooms and just talk to each other and record it and just to see what it would sound like us talking to each other.
Speaker 2: And then ten years later, here we are in a little room doing the same exact thing.
Speaker 4: Again, it's kind of funny.
Speaker 2: I okay, So I wanted to bring this up because I don't know how different people handle this. You and I think have you're better at this than I am. This potential situation, and there's two different versions of it. Earlier this week, we had a meeting, and we have both worked with Woody from The Woody Show for years.
Speaker 4: When you worked with you use that term very loosely.
Speaker 2: We work in the same building, work in the same building, and have been at the same events and have been the same meetings and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 4: I don't remember ever seeing him at an event or a meeting.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh, I funny. And he had no idea who I was. By the way, anyway, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean earlier this week. Sorry for timeline.
Speaker 4: Purpose, no clue he said.
Speaker 1: In fact, he said to me, I feel like we've we've met each other years ago, but it was so long ago that it's awkward for me to introduce myself and I shake hands, and he said, you came in to see Gina grad a few months ago, it goes, and I had no idea who you were, right, And I.
Speaker 3: Thought, perfect that it's not awkward. Yeah, exactly, well, I know I have.
Speaker 2: Again, I've not met Woody, I've never spoken to him, but we talk about their show, they talk about our show. We've we've you know, we there's a lot of common, uh crossover in terms of the people that work there that used to work with us and vice versa. Anyway, it was an awkward moment because I felt like I should have long ago introduced myself to him. We lived near each other, I mean like we have homes next to each other. I see him walking around our neighborhoods not but it's not my thing, and it's not and I'm not necessarily embarrassed about it. But it's just one of those It's one of those relationship things that I think people deal with, which is specifically I mean, that's one version of it. The other one is you work in a place or maybe your commute doctor's office, however you do this, and you see people at that place every day or however often you're.
Speaker 3: There, but you don't know their names, and you should know their names. You know that.
Speaker 4: This is half of my year for the past seven years.
Speaker 1: Well, how I started working for the Chargers, met everybody in one day, wasn't paying attention because I was so overwhelmed with this new job and how exciting it was and how cool, and didn't pay attention for a long time, like three seasons. And then when I started paying attention, when I was brought down to earth, I didn't know who anybody was. And to this day, on the sideline, it's Hi, nice to see you, How are you? How are the kids? I have no idea what anybody's name is. I don't know if they know mine. But they all work together on the regular, this this team at the facility, what have you, So they see each other every day. I'm like the one Sunday and every Sunday person, so they probably don't know my name either, but there's so many of them.
Speaker 4: I'm just I am screwed.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So here's the situation that I've run into that brings up a weird feeling in my heart. Where they walk up and they say, Hey, it's me. I'm Keana. Remember we met, and I go, of course, I know who you are. I never had any idea what that person's name was. I mean, I know who producer Keany is, so it's different. But I mean they they take it upon themselves to reintroduce themselves to you because they don't have the expectation that you remember their name, and then you feel a little bit slided, like, well, of course I would remember your name, even though you don't actually remember my.
Speaker 1: Usband will say things like you just don't pay attention. It's not that you forgot well, you just don't pay attention. And it's true, but it's not coming from a nefarious place.
Speaker 3: It's not hitting you're thinking.
Speaker 4: About myself the entire time.
Speaker 1: It's because I'm overwhelmed or I've got things going on in my head and I'm just not focused.
Speaker 2: Well that yours is probably the best example of it, because you are excited about so you're in a new place, this is new people.
Speaker 3: You. Here's the other part about it.
Speaker 2: You don't know how long you're going to be there, right, I mean, and this is one of those situations where you don't know how often you're going to see Woody again or whatever. So so you don't put the brain gasoline on the name to make sure that it imprints in your in your head. So I was, I was thinking about this and I actually looked it up and it's a very funny. There's a couple different tips on ways to avoid that problem. And I've done this before too. How do you spell your last name? That's what I'll say, is how do you spell your last name? To somebody that I should know their last name, or salespeople that we deal with, like I just want to send the email to the right place.
Speaker 3: How do you spell your last name?
Speaker 2: And they go, it's the if they say something like it's the common spelling, I'm screwed. I'm back to I'm back to zero, like I got, I got, still got nothing. And I will say, yeah, but I mean, how you spell it? Or try to do something funny so that I can type it in the word at least in our email program will auto fill the rest of the name, And I go, oh, of course it's you, Jim. I knew Jim Jim and I go way back and all that sort of stuff. One guy says, I've been in this situation before. This is off of a website I found asking the question of what do you do when you've known someone for a year and you still don't know their name. So somebody says I've been in the situation, or sir, yeah, you stop being.
Speaker 3: Such an asshole. To people.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing. I think part of it with you and oh here it comes. Well, just going back to your original thought of not talking to people, I e. Woody, I think part of you ascribes to the why open your mouth and confirm their belief that you're an idiot? Right, which I understand. I wish I had that. I wish I had that. I wish I could shut up because I totally believe in that.
Speaker 2: But that's my stumbling block. But that's your like greased slide.
Speaker 1: I can't stop myself and you stop yourself probably more than you should, or you I mean, because you're not an idiot, right, but well, I mean all the time.
Speaker 4: But I think that's part of the thing.
Speaker 1: Is like you're you remain pretty quiet, and that can come off although you're trying not to error, it can come across as you thinking you're better or you're just a dick.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the responses is, uh, hand someone if you depending on the context obvious, you wouldn't just do this to a stranger, but you hand someone on your phone and go, hey, put your contact information or put your number in or something like that, which is I mean, that'd be a stretch.
Speaker 1: It's like handing over your newborn baby. Here, take my baby and play with it.
Speaker 2: The other one would be, if resort to plan, b ask them to add you on some social media site that you both of.
Speaker 1: You that's really needy, that's really needy, and then way together notice Instagram.
Speaker 4: Oh I would rather die.
Speaker 1: I would rather jump off this building and tell somebody to add me on social media.
Speaker 2: There's another guy who responded to this question says, I'm a prosecutor. I appear in court sometimes several times a week, always the same courthouse, limited number of clerks, limited number of bailiffs at sheriffs there, and every day the court starts with me saying good morning, your honor Jeremy for the Crown. Is it obviously a British guy, you know, who doesn't introduce themselves, the clerks and the sheriffs, right, And he's like, I should know these people, I work with them everything.
Speaker 1: Probably for Jeremy because probably his first couple of times in that courtroom he was overwhelmed.
Speaker 4: He had a bunch of things on his mind.
Speaker 1: And now it's too late for Jeremy to find out what the bailiff or the clerk's name is, even though Jeremy should bring donuts once.
Speaker 2: A week, even though those people are probably the ones that would help him get out of a jam.
Speaker 4: That's all he needs is the clerk in the courtroom.
Speaker 2: Okay, any other tips the other one. The kind of relationship this is from an anonymous poster. The kind of relationship where you do not know the other person's name is the best kind of relationship because with the names, you then start making decisions about them, about their religion, about their friends, about their ancestry, that sort of thing. But without names, there's no expectation, no need of any extra effort to try to maintain that relationship level.
Speaker 1: I don't meet someone and go, Dave, he's Christian, although that checks out right. Hey, Suths, here's the other thing. I don't think people care that you don't know their names. Like I don't think people care that I don't know their names. They probably don't know my name.
Speaker 4: Wood He didn't know my name.
Speaker 1: The only reason I know his name is because it's The Woody Show. And I know Menace because who else's named menas right?
Speaker 3: Like that is also true.
Speaker 4: I don't know anybody else who works on that show.
Speaker 1: Other than Gina because she worked with us for so long. You know Morgan Morgan as well. But I mean, I have no idea of other people.
Speaker 3: You've never seen Sea Bass walking around.
Speaker 1: I don't know Sea Bass is. I mean, also a catchy name, but no no idea. I mean, I see everybody in the in the elevator. We see everybody in the elevators.
Speaker 2: But that's also one of those things where when I was here, when I was doing the morning show, and I'd be here at whatever, god awful three forty four in the morning, something like that, and you'd be in the elevator. It's a common trauma, like you are sharing this. I'm up at the butt crack of dawn and I'm sharing the elevator with somebody and we're both barely awake. And there were many times, and I mean, shouldn't work here anymore, but there were many times when I'd be in the elevator with somebody who's working on one of the FM shows and it just became like, Hey, good morning, how's it going great? I hope you have a great day. I mean, there's not a lot of time elevator. It's the middle of the night, but it was that was it, And for four or five years, once twice a week, we'd see each other in the elevator and I had no idea who she was.
Speaker 3: And I was just because I was.
Speaker 2: Afraid to be like, hey, I see you here every day every Tuesday, we happen to be in the same place, which show do you work like? And then and then put the two together so that you could at least then the greeting would become, oh, hey, Shanna, good morning. How's it going, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Right? Right?
Speaker 3: But so there's some ideas.
Speaker 2: This is actually written by AI, but the suggestions we're taking interpersonal suggestions from artificial intelligence.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like Isabelle, who works here.
Speaker 1: I've known Isabelle for example, money, I should be at Isabelle's kids wedding. Like we've spent more time together collectively, like seeing each other in the past twenty years than probably anybody else except for you. Yet we have this just like good morning relationship, which is fine. But I feel like I should know. I feel like there maybe some some domain I should know more. I feel like we should be friends or something like I feel like I've worked with her even though we don't do the same things. We've worked in the same building for so long, so.
Speaker 2: The suggestions are be honest. Just admit, hey, look, I'm super embarrassed.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We've seen each other every day for the last seven years. I don't know your name. Introduce yourself. You can introduce yourself first. Like I said earlier, someone is polite enough to go, hey, it's my name is Gary.
Speaker 4: Do I hate that word? There needs to be a new word.
Speaker 1: What kind of idiot hands some on their phone like put your information in the ad me on socials you.
Speaker 2: One of them says, use the contextual approach. If you're in a group setting, you ask someone else to introduce them, refer to them casually. You do that with your husband. I do that with my wife. Oh my gosh, that's what's that guy's name? And you say, please, you introduced first. So that if I'm introducing you to Keana, for example, in a party, and you don't know her name, but you should, I'll say something like, oh, hey, Keana, this is my wife.
Speaker 4: But here's my point. Keana doesn't care that we don't know her name.
Speaker 3: No, no, in this she would she would totally care. She totally does she would totally.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you she does not avoid awkwardness.
Speaker 4: That's impossible.
Speaker 2: If it feels too awkward, focus on the relationship and the interactions rather than the name itself.
Speaker 4: Can I tell you something? Can I share something with you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to put my contact in for it.
Speaker 1: I can give me my baby back. I felt two things after our work event. I felt two things that I don't like to feel. I felt failure and I felt jealousy.
Speaker 3: I don't understand either one of those things. Why did you feel failure?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I pride myself on getting out of things right quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you had set a you'd set a hard time limit as to what I wanted that door closing behind you.
Speaker 1: I don't like failing at things, and I don't like being jealous of people. And I found myself a failure and jealous of Ryan Seacrest because he got out of that door about four seconds before I did. After that event ended, Ryan got out right before I got out, and immediately I felt like a failure and then jealous of Ryan Seacrest, things I've never felt.
Speaker 3: Well, Ryan also had a car service.
Speaker 1: I don't care. That means nothing to me. He was out the security guy. I was at the door. Granted, I went to an exit that I thought was an exit and then was turned away because it was not an exit.
Speaker 3: Did say exit? It did? And then I got so I.
Speaker 1: Had to go to the other exit, and then Ryan's there taking pictures and he's able to get out the door before I am, and I wanted to be the first out of that room.
Speaker 2: That was funny the moment you went out the basically the back door, because it said exit, you were going to try to make your your your exit rather unobtrusive. You spun around and came back, and the look on your face when you realized that was not an exit, You're like that not so then you're gonna have to cross all the way across the room and follow Ryan Seacrest out the front door.
Speaker 4: I know if I told you.
Speaker 1: This, But Ellen, we were sitting with Siciny and Ellen k and Ellen says, so did you guys do your show and then come right here? And I said we did. She goes, you both look so excited to be here.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god, we're awful.
Speaker 1: We need some sort of like training, We need some sort of face boot camp. The other thing was that, I mean looked so excited to be here.
Speaker 2: The other people that were there, I mean they was a big Boy in not to name drop. Big Boy and Valentine were there, and Ellen was there, and Ryan Seacrest was there with Sisany Sisiny and Tanya and Handle was there. They all had time to go home refresh and then come back for a meeting.
Speaker 1: But wouldn't that be awful? I was kind of glad it was just a continuation of our day. Like if we had to go home and then go back for that, oh, people.
Speaker 4: Would have ended. I would have ended lives probably.
Speaker 2: If you have any suggestions on what you would do if you knew so many it was super lovely. You knew someone for a year and you didn't know their name, what do you just you just sit on it.
Speaker 3: You just take the loss and never to that person again.
Speaker 4: Or remember you do it. Keana does not care.
Speaker 3: Keana does care?
Speaker 4: I think not.
Speaker 3: She would be so upset if you didn't actually know her name.
Speaker 1: She would not Okay, No, I mean like in a party, like if we met Kian, like she was on our producer and we didn't know and we like double backed and didn't know her name.
Speaker 4: She wouldn't care.
Speaker 3: Oh well, then let me put it this way.
Speaker 2: I think I think the better version of it is you say to me, I should know her name.
Speaker 1: I would never say, and then I say, because that's insaneting that like, well, whatever, I need a coffee.
Speaker 2: And then I say to you hey, or I say to Keana, hey, this is my wife, and then Keana' is like, oh, I'm Kiana, and then we both.
Speaker 3: Go, that's.
Speaker 4: Like that, And she wouldn't say that.
Speaker 3: I'm not talking about this one.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about h Kana, not just that, not that one, uh Kiana.
Speaker 3: You can always listen to The Weekend Fix.
Speaker 2: Make sure you subscribe to the podcast on the iHeart app or anywhere you listen to podcasts. Just type in Gary and Shannon. Don't just follow. It makes you subscribe to the podcast. Leave the rating, leave the comments. All of that stuff helps us out.
Speaker 4: Forget what it was anyway that could have been off theear.
Speaker 2: No, we'll just we'll tag the podcast with it. Tune in next week when Shannon tells us what she remembered that she was gonna say, you've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio LAP