Speaker 1: The Damon Runyam Theater. Once again, the Damon Runyam Theater brings you another story by the master storyteller, Damon Runyam. And this one may be a queen can tell it to you. There is Broadway Thanks.
Speaker 2: This is a story about a guy and a doll. The guy's name is Jack O'donahue, who is a shoe clerk, and the doll's name is Ida Peters, who is one of the advantages of being on the First Road. A musical comedy where the view is good. It begins on a summer night sometime back in Bryant Talk at sixth Avenue and forty second Street. Various citizens are enjoying the night air and the benches are in good use. But it soon happens that Jack is sitting on one that has nobody else on it. That is until up walks Ida Peters and sits there. Then the scene is as fox.
Speaker 3: Uh, excuse me, miss, what for? What do you see?
Speaker 4: I look, I came here to get a breath of air. I am not trying to find company. It so happens this was the only empty spot I.
Speaker 3: Know that, miss, But you see my hat? What you're on? It?
Speaker 4: Oh, oh, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: It's okay, it's not a very good hat here, thanks, yeah, well, good night.
Speaker 4: Uh just a minute, Hi, I'm sorry I blew my top like that.
Speaker 3: Poor kid's all right. I guess you thought I was being freed.
Speaker 4: Sure, but I should have known better. You should uh huh when you got up just then the light hit your face.
Speaker 3: Well, now I'm sorry for what I should. Never stand in the light. When I was a little kid, the other kids called.
Speaker 5: Me, but they caught you froggy.
Speaker 3: Oh I've outgrown up a little.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 4: Well, good night, miss good night. Hey, hey your hat?
Speaker 3: Oh thanks?
Speaker 4: He good night, Yeah, good night.
Speaker 2: That is the way it begives Donald like Eyda Peter's who may not be the best looking in the world, but does not have to move over for anybody. And JACKO Dane, you, who does not represent a Donald's dream and never will. Now what happens is considered practically incredible by everybody.
Speaker 6: And what that is I will tell you in a minute.
Speaker 1: And now back to the Damon Runyon Theater and the famous story maybe a Queen.
Speaker 2: Well like I say, Ida and Jack meet up in Brian Park and this meeting goes on for quite a few nights. If anybody asks Hider why she goes there, it is a little better than six to five. She will not know, that is until one night when they had taken a little war.
Speaker 4: Jack, I'll have to leave you in a little while.
Speaker 3: Leave. Are you going away?
Speaker 4: No? No, not leaving town? If that's what you mean, that's what I mean. I'll stick around for a while. No, I I'm meeting somebody at midnight.
Speaker 3: Oh here in the park. No, it's eleven forty.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: You got a date.
Speaker 5: Huh, how'd you know?
Speaker 3: I never kid myself?
Speaker 4: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: I'm all right to take a walk with in the park if we stay out from under the lights. But I guess it stops there now.
Speaker 4: Look, maybe your trouble is thinking bad things about yourself. Sure, you're not handsome. I wouldn't even call you a nice looking Your nose isn't all wrong, your mouth slants in a funny way.
Speaker 3: But you're beautiful.
Speaker 4: But you've got nice eyes. They're well, honest and clean.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 4: I guess I like you better than any guy I've ever met.
Speaker 3: How big a field is that?
Speaker 4: Pretty big?
Speaker 3: Jack? Mm hmm, pretty big?
Speaker 4: I admit it. I wish you wouldn't to me, but I keep things on the level.
Speaker 3: You want me to walk you to the edge of the park. No, will you be here tomorrow night?
Speaker 4: Will you?
Speaker 3: It's the only time of day I look forward to. It's the only time anytime matters, the only time New York looks good to me.
Speaker 4: Jack, cut it out?
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, so you kiss me? That gives you a ticket to what I love you. I don't love you, I guess No, I don't love you.
Speaker 4: I never will.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 4: Oh, for the love of mine, I.
Speaker 5: Do, Eida, But forget it.
Speaker 4: Forget I said it. Forget you said it. Why I've got a date in ten minutes.
Speaker 3: You're going to keep it?
Speaker 4: Yes, I am. Well, don't look at me like that.
Speaker 3: I was wondering. I was wondering about tomorrow night. No, good night?
Speaker 4: Goodbye?
Speaker 3: Oh sure, goodbye? What's the matter? Why'd you stop by?
Speaker 4: Same time, same tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: So now Ida is in love with Jack, and he certainly is more than somewhat gone about her. But all it ever amounts to is those meetings in the park, and why well I find out about two weeks later when I run into Ida in Mindy's or she runs into me while I am sitting there.
Speaker 5: Hello Broadway, Hello, I just sit there.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 2: The show is going all right?
Speaker 4: Fine?
Speaker 5: Anything wrong wrong?
Speaker 4: Why do I look at uh huh? Yeah, everything's wrong? You know Jack o'donahue slightly. He's a clerk. He hasn't got a dime and he never will have.
Speaker 2: There are some people who have the neck of being able to stay flat broke.
Speaker 4: Well, why does it have to be him?
Speaker 8: Is he very special?
Speaker 4: Extra?
Speaker 2: I am listening Broadway.
Speaker 4: Take a good look at me.
Speaker 8: It is a pleasure.
Speaker 4: What do you see?
Speaker 8: M lots?
Speaker 4: I'm good looking.
Speaker 2: There is no exaggeration in that.
Speaker 4: Lots of guys go for me.
Speaker 2: That is a well known fact.
Speaker 4: I could do all right, Yes you could, but not if I marry Jack, he asks you tonight. But I won't. I swear I won't it. Why should I? I can do better? Lots better?
Speaker 3: That is true.
Speaker 4: You ever live in a one room flat in the tenements in the summer, it's so hot the air is like a blanket with hot water poured over it in the window. You put on all the clothes you've got, and still you freeze. You hear the kids yelling, and the neighbor's fighting. You ever live like that?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: I do? You want to go back to it?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 4: Then why should I?
Speaker 2: I have got no answer to that.
Speaker 4: I can do all right. There are a hundred girls who did all right, grab themselves what they could, even titles like a duchess countess.
Speaker 2: Why shouldn't I maybe even get to be a queen?
Speaker 8: Huh?
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 2: What about Jack o'donne?
Speaker 4: Oh shut up, Okay, I didn't mean that.
Speaker 2: I look, if you want advice, I have got none to give. If you ask me for something good in the fourth and hire Lee, okay. If you want to know where there is a quiet game where somebody can turn a few bobs, okay too. But if you were asking me to put up a sign inside you telling you which way you should go, I am sorry. I am all out of that kind of advice. In fact, I never touched the stuff.
Speaker 5: Sure, I get it.
Speaker 4: It's all up to me.
Speaker 8: Huh, it is all up to you.
Speaker 4: I guess I had it figured out before I saw you. Yeah, I know I did.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: The next night, Idam meets Jack in the park as usual, but this time she has got something to tell him, and the scene is as fun.
Speaker 3: There quiet tonight, Ida, m hm, anything wrong, nothing's right. I'd like to make it all right, Ida, if you'll give me half a chance. Jack, Look, let me get this all out before I get myself twisted so I can't talk. Last night, I asked you to marry me because I love you and you love me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love you, but I don't love what you mean. Besides, I'm getting married.
Speaker 3: You're a kid.
Speaker 4: No, I'm going away with him next week. Who you don't even know. Amy's from out of town. Saw me in a show.
Speaker 3: Money.
Speaker 4: You make it sound like something dirty.
Speaker 3: No, just just something in the way that's right, you know. Right here, I should get up off this bench and say a lot of words. I should tell you you're doing the wrong thing, that you'll be sorry. But I can't, Eida, I just can't. Good luck.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, Jack, listen, don't be sore.
Speaker 3: I'm not. I guess it takes a spot like this to make a guy realize what a dope he really is.
Speaker 4: Listen, I love you. I'm going away, but I'll be back a year from the night right here to see you. Right sure, sure are both of us just like the first night we net her? Right here every year on the same date.
Speaker 3: Why why are they?
Speaker 4: I don't know. Maybe it's just that I I gotta have that much left of us. If you get married, do the same. You mean that, I swear it.
Speaker 3: Jack, Okay, Ida, I'll be here every year, same date, same.
Speaker 4: Time, so will I.
Speaker 2: Well, there are some people who will say that this is a crazy idea and it will never happen. But if you will wait, I will tell you how wrong some people can be. And I will also tell you what happens because of it in a minute.
Speaker 1: And now back to the Damon Runyon Theatre and the famous story. Maybe a queen.
Speaker 2: Well Ida does get married, and she does leave New York and the guy she marries has more than enough of the stuff that makes the world go wrong in an expensive way. Then it is a year later, and the scene is the same spot in Bryant Park where Ida and Jack first meet. It is exactly the same time, And what happens is this, Hi.
Speaker 3: Hidah, Jack, Jack, how are you pretty good? Goleta sit down?
Speaker 4: Sure of course I am. How you been wonderful?
Speaker 3: Oh you look swell, You're You're as beautiful as ever. But are you happy? Ida?
Speaker 4: I've got what I want, well, makes it okay?
Speaker 3: I guess how's your husband?
Speaker 4: I I don't know. We've separated.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Don't be somebody else has asked me to marry him. I can go to Reno and get a quick divorce.
Speaker 3: Sure, that's easy.
Speaker 4: The man who wants me to marry him is wealthy, wealthier than the first. But Jack, you and I?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what about us, Sada? What about us?
Speaker 4: We love each other? You still love me.
Speaker 3: I have never been able to talk myself out of it, nor I You're leave it now?
Speaker 4: Yes, kiss me goodbye, same time, next year, same place, I'll be here.
Speaker 2: So Ida and Jack leave it that way, and the next year they meet, and the next meantime, Ida keeps making.
Speaker 6: Good scores for herself.
Speaker 2: We are keeping count along the stem and the book shows four husbands and some financial arrangements which are certainly not five and ten. But there is never a word of bad talk, and she tells each husband about Jack and their meet. We figured this is a smart angle because not one of her husbands is able to put a smudge against him. Then one night I run into Jack o'donna hue in Middy's and the scene is as follows.
Speaker 3: Hello, Broadway, just fine, Jack, How you doing? Oh good?
Speaker 2: I guess you do not mind my mentioning you do not look so good.
Speaker 3: Oh, I got a call a call.
Speaker 2: You see a doctor tomorrow. How is Idal? Oh?
Speaker 3: I saw her tonight. She's fine. You wouldn't recognize the Broadway. She's a lady, real lady. She even talks different now and she's been all over the world. Told me all about the places you read about. The beer Itz can even whistle stops in Africa and India.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, Ida moves around quite a bit. But no matter where she is, she always turns up in Brian Park on the same day.
Speaker 8: Huh.
Speaker 3: She never misses me gee a year ago, slow Jack.
Speaker 2: What will you do if she ever does miss one of those meetings? She won't Maybe something.
Speaker 8: Will keep her away.
Speaker 2: Nothing could listen to me, Jack, I watch you now for a long time. You are sick, broke.
Speaker 3: Oh, I got a few dollar in a second.
Speaker 2: What I am trying to say is that someday item might not get to Brian Park fee a date. You have got to think about that right now. You keep alive for just one day.
Speaker 3: A year, that's right. Broadway three hundred and sixty four days I'm dead. One day I come alive.
Speaker 2: She might miss one of these years.
Speaker 3: She won't stop saying it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jack, But meantime, if you have a name, I'll get along.
Speaker 3: It's okay, go see it doc. Huh sure, sure tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jack. Meantime, take it easy.
Speaker 3: Sure, I always take it easy.
Speaker 2: And some more years go by, and some more we watched Jack, And for every one year the rest of us live, Jack puts on about five. He gets gray, and it seems he cannot hold on to it die. He just does not care. And meantime, i'd repeat us adds to her score. We see her picture in the papers quite a bit, and always in society. Each your husband is a step up for her, until finally she hits dead center at the target. I read it in the Bledge, so does Jack, And when they meet again in Bryant Park, the scene is as follows. I read all about it, idam, it's well, thank you, Jack. I guess this will be our last time.
Speaker 3: To get it.
Speaker 4: What makes you say that? Oh Jack, you're sick. Broadway told me you won't see a doctor.
Speaker 3: Oh I'll be all right. I didn't mean I was going to kick off. I just meant you'd be living in Europe. How that you're going to marry a prince.
Speaker 4: Yes, I walked up the ladder without missing a single run. There's no place else to go. I guess this is it, Jack, what I've always wanted.
Speaker 3: They see he's a pretty nice guy.
Speaker 4: Yes he is. And I told him about you, Jack.
Speaker 3: Oh what did he say?
Speaker 4: It was one of the conditions under which I'd marry him, that i'd see.
Speaker 3: You every year, all the way from Europe if I have to.
Speaker 4: Yes, he hasn't country. There was a revolution, But.
Speaker 3: He's a prince, and you will be a princess.
Speaker 4: Princess Ida Peters, Watkins, Van Goring, Courtright, Benson, Morgan, Stooping de Moins. The last name will be on my stationary. The others were the wrongs.
Speaker 3: But you will be here next year.
Speaker 4: I promise. I've never missed.
Speaker 3: Please don't ever.
Speaker 4: No matter what happens, I'll be here.
Speaker 2: So Ida Peters marries a guy who carries the handle of Prince Paul de Morrat, and she becomes the Princess de mort And from what we hear and read, this is probably her last time at batt in matrimony. She has got what she wants, and each year she turns up in Brian pot to meet Jack o'donahue. Then it is some time later. Either and the Prince are in New York in their hotel.
Speaker 8: Either.
Speaker 5: My dear, where are you right here?
Speaker 8: I have just received this cablegram.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 8: Please read it.
Speaker 4: Oh what does this mean?
Speaker 9: Exactly what it says, my dear, I'm no longer Prince Paul, but King Paul, the fifth King Paul.
Speaker 8: The people want me back.
Speaker 9: I this will give me the chance to do what I want for my country, and you you will be a queen. No, no, no, but of course, what is it?
Speaker 8: My dear, you look frightened.
Speaker 4: I was just thinking of what someone said a long time ago.
Speaker 8: Oh what is that?
Speaker 4: Nothing?
Speaker 9: I cannot blame you for being so stunned. I was the same when I received the cable gram. But now I must cancel all engagements. There's no time to waste either. Take only what you will need on the plane. We shall have the rest of our luggage sent over later.
Speaker 4: When when are you leaving?
Speaker 9: We are leaving immediately, my dear, I have charted the plane. It leaves in half an hour.
Speaker 4: I'm not ready.
Speaker 9: Where a suit, my dear, well, Please do not stand there looking, Paul.
Speaker 4: There's something I must do first.
Speaker 9: There is nothing you can do first. I must be in my country tomorrow afternoon at the latest.
Speaker 4: Paul, I'll join you there later I cannot.
Speaker 8: They will want to see you. Think of a tighter we will.
Speaker 4: I'll join you later the day after tomorrow. There's something I must do tonight.
Speaker 8: Oh this Jack Cord Donahue. Yes, no, that is over.
Speaker 4: Please Paul listen to me.
Speaker 9: No, you will listen to me for a long time now. I put up with this sentimental nonsense you feel.
Speaker 3: For this man.
Speaker 4: It's not nonsense, that is all it is.
Speaker 9: As long as I am an x a patriot, it does not matter. But now that I go back as king and us Queen must not be one bread.
Speaker 5: Of scandal scandal.
Speaker 4: There's never been any scandal about me.
Speaker 8: You do not understand. There will be those who will ridicule talk.
Speaker 4: Let them.
Speaker 5: I cannot afford it.
Speaker 4: I cannot go with you tonight.
Speaker 8: Are wasting time?
Speaker 3: Get ready?
Speaker 5: No, I will say it once more. Get ready, Paul, I can't.
Speaker 4: You don't understand, Jack.
Speaker 8: I will hear no more of that it is over finished.
Speaker 4: I am going to meet him.
Speaker 9: You are, yes, Then you force me to say something I do not want to say either.
Speaker 8: Look into the mirror. Look what do you see?
Speaker 9: A woman of forty, a woman who has lived quite a good deal, a woman who is no longer as beautiful as once she was. I am sorry, but it is the truth. You have no money of your own anymore.
Speaker 8: But you have. I gave you the jewels, everything I die.
Speaker 5: I give you this chance to go with me.
Speaker 4: If you do not take it, it is not a threat. Believe me, you wouldn't do it.
Speaker 5: But yes, but yes, I have my pride too.
Speaker 9: If you stay here tonight and meet this man, it is a slap in my face that I will not take, even from you.
Speaker 8: Ida. What are you doing?
Speaker 4: Leaving you everything here? This ring? This is mine? The rest is yours.
Speaker 8: You are making the decision.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, Paul, it is one I should have made years ago. Broadway, Broadway, Hello, there have you seen Jack?
Speaker 3: Jack?
Speaker 4: No, he's not in the park.
Speaker 2: He is not. Oh this is the night you had the date with it.
Speaker 4: But he's not there.
Speaker 7: I just left.
Speaker 2: I do not see him for some time. In fact, almost the wall.
Speaker 4: Help me find him. Please help me find it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I take it easy. You call his hotel.
Speaker 4: Yes, he left him plenty of time to get to the park by eleven, but he wasn't there. I waited, he wasn't there.
Speaker 2: How long do you wait?
Speaker 4: Five minutes?
Speaker 8: Well, maybe you.
Speaker 2: Do not give him enough time. Come on, we will go to the park and see.
Speaker 4: You see he's not here. Broadway this is the place.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I see he is not here.
Speaker 5: Where is he?
Speaker 4: Broadway? Where is here?
Speaker 2: Very excited?
Speaker 4: He's got to be here.
Speaker 3: He's got there.
Speaker 2: There is a taxi pull enough, although I do not think Jack has enough taught to take a cab from here to five feet away.
Speaker 4: Good Way it is. It's Jack.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but come on, look buddy, please let me get your to a hospital.
Speaker 3: Take me over there. Jack hid the honey?
Speaker 2: Are you hackey? What is the matter?
Speaker 5: He stepped right in front of me, ran out on the street.
Speaker 3: I was I was late. I I was trying to hurry.
Speaker 9: Honest, it wasn't my poor He steps right in front against the light. He won't let me take him to a doc or a hospital. Sammy, get here, tell me kill me.
Speaker 5: If he did, I think he would have Jack Broadway, real bad.
Speaker 8: Look, Let's get him to a doc or something.
Speaker 3: Please, oh no, never mind, it wasn't your fault. Go away, Please go, mister I.
Speaker 2: It is okay, Heller. We will take care of him.
Speaker 3: You got my number?
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, let me sit.
Speaker 5: Down here here.
Speaker 6: Take it easy, Jack, Sure.
Speaker 4: Stop that driver. We're going to the hospital.
Speaker 3: No, no use, I'm telling you it's no use. I'm kind of busted inside.
Speaker 4: I would have waited for you, Jack. I would have.
Speaker 3: Waited, honey, but I always like to be here first. Gee, I I'm sorry I was late late.
Speaker 4: You I'm the one who's late.
Speaker 3: Very late.
Speaker 2: Well, there is not much more to tell. We get Jack to a hospital and the doc tells us that he has a fifty to fifty chance if his lungs are okay, but they are not. It is some hours later when I and I to leave the hospital and Jack. There is nothing more to do. But the story is not over. And what the payoff is I will tell you in a minute. Well, everybody is sorry to hear about Jack, and everybody says that I'd have beat us, gives him a bump shake. What do they know about it? Anyhow? I do not see Ida until a long time. Actively when I stop in a place for a cup of coffee about three in the morning, and who is there? But she sees me, gives me a smile and says.
Speaker 5: I'm very glad to see Broadway and me you it is a long time.
Speaker 2: Why do you not come around anymore?
Speaker 4: I'd have to pass the part?
Speaker 5: Well, you could go the other way, I can't.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 4: You were looking well, okay, I guess you never changed.
Speaker 6: I am a landmark.
Speaker 2: If I change, a lot of people will lose their way around this there. Sure I see by the papers that the prince is now a king.
Speaker 5: Yes he is, and you could be a queen?
Speaker 4: Like rolling off a log.
Speaker 2: What are you going to have me? Coffee?
Speaker 4: Coming right up? You know? I'll bet this is the only coffee joined in town with a waitress whose ex husband is a king.
Speaker 1: And so ends the famous Damon Runyon story. Maybe a Queen listening again next week for the Damon Runyon Theater. The Damon Runyon Theater with John Brown as Broadway, is directed by Richard Sandville and the story is adapted for radio by Russell Hughes. Bern Carstensen is in charge of production. This is a Mayfair production