Speaker 1: Welcome to the debate.
Speaker 2: Thanks glad to be here.
Speaker 1: So right now, there are well over one hundred multi billion dollar AI data centers that are just trying to plug into Pennsylvania's electric.
Speaker 2: Cred Oh yeah, the volume is staggering right now.
Speaker 1: Right, It's massive, and almost none of them have any kind of public approval because usually the traditional assumption with large scale infrastructure is that you have a public process, right, you have local zoning, hearing.
Speaker 3: Right, legislative oversight, town halls, all of that exactly.
Speaker 1: But hyperscale AI facilities have historically just bypassed all of that. They operate under this veil of total secrecy. So today we are diving into Pennsylvania's Executive Order twenty twenty six zero.
Speaker 2: Five, which is a pretty wild piece of policy.
Speaker 1: It really is. It's this groundbreaking regulatory framework designed to rain in the industry. And what makes it so fascinating and honestly pretty controversial is that it operates entirely without new legislation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are basically looking at a state executive branch just completely bypassing its own legislature to regulate one of the most capital intensive, resource heavy industries on the planet using only administrative levers.
Speaker 1: Right, So the core question we really need to resolve today is this how effective and I guess how legitimate is it to use existing permitting authority to do this? Like seeing how contracts replace new laws essentially right, using these state contracts to enforce really strict rules. And specifically we want to analyze the technical requirements on water and energy consumption.
Speaker 3: Because that's where the actual physical impact hits the local community.
Speaker 1: Exactly can a contract act as a direct substitute for traditional lawmaking? So our discussion today is rooted in the recent rollout of the Governor's Responsible Infrastructure Development or the grid requirements right in a state's mandatory template, the Consent Order Agreement, the CoA. Yeah, yeah, the CoA. So I'll be making the case that this contract based approach is frankly a brilliant pragmatic innovation. It successfully forces developers to internalize their massive energy and water impacts, and it totally bypasses the legislative gridlock that usually stalls this stuff.
Speaker 3: And I am going to argue that relying on executive permitting levers and forced contracts, it basically circumvents the democratic process. It creates this precarious regulatory instability and honestly technical constraints that I think will ultimately paralyze critical infrastructure development.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let me lay out the foundation of my position first. From my perspective, Pennsylvania has effectively cracked the code on modern tech regulation.
Speaker 2: That's a bold claim.
Speaker 1: I think it's true. Though. They realized a very simple, very powerful truth, which is that contracts can substitute for new laws when the law just fails to keep pace with technology. Okay, but we'll just think about it. We all know that AI capabilities scale exponentially, right, they turn over every six to twelve months. But state legislatures they operate on these sluggish, linear timelines.
Speaker 3: Sure, the legislative process is slow by design.
Speaker 1: Right, but Governor Josh Shapiro didn't wait for a divided legislature to catch up. Instead, the state fundamentally changed the rules of engagement. They are now conditioning the mere opening of a Department of Environmental Protection a DP permit file on the developer signing a legally binding consent order and agreement.
Speaker 2: They won't even open the file.
Speaker 1: Exactly, they won't even look at it. The state is wielding its existing administrative authority to just blast through the gridlock. And the technical brilliance of these grid requirements is that developers must now legally commit to paying the full cost of generation, transmission and distribution.
Speaker 3: Upgrades, which are massively expensive, exactly massively, and they have to meet strict water conservation standards.
Speaker 1: So by utilizing a contract to manded these upgrades, the executive branch prevents the staggering infrastructural costs of hyperscale AI from being you know, quietly absorbed by local households and small businesses. Right. It is this elegant, immediate solution to an exploding problem that the legislature just utterly failed to solve.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see where you're coming from.
Speaker 3: But I approach this from a completely different philosophical and honestly practical foundation. Okay, this framework, it is not a brilliant administrative innovation. I mean, it is textbook regulatory coercion.
Speaker 1: Coercion is a strong word, but it fits.
Speaker 3: It undermines the predictability required for major capital investments. Look, a contract fundamentally implies two willing parties coming to a mutual agreement.
Speaker 1: Right. Generally yes, right.
Speaker 3: In this context, developers who refuse to sign this specific consent order, they are permanently removed from Pennsylvania's permit FastTrack program. The dep just simply refuses to even ow open their application file until every single local municipal approval is secured and every construction permit has already been reviewed through the traditional, agonizingly slow.
Speaker 1: Channels, which takes year's exactly.
Speaker 3: It completely inverts the normal sequencing that developers rely on to secure financing. I mean, you cannot get bank funding without a permit path, right, and you cannot get a permit path without signing this executive ultimatum, so it's not mutual. Furthermore, we really have to recognize the extreme fragility of this method.
Speaker 1: Because it's an executive order, because no statute was passed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Pennsylvania House actually passed bipartisan grid legislation, but Senate Republicans declined to move it.
Speaker 1: Forward, right the gridlock I mentioned.
Speaker 3: Sure, But because the executive branch decided to act unilaterally anyway, this entire multi billion dollar framework, it just rests on the stroke of a pen by a single governor, a governor facing re election this November, I might add.
Speaker 1: I know the timing is tight right, So.
Speaker 3: Any future administration can simply revoke the order on day one. When you compare this to actual codified laws enacted by legislatures in places like you know, California, Ohio, Utah, this contractual method creates a disastrous, unpredictable foundation. Multi billion dollar infrastructure requires decades of certainty, not fragile political workarounds.
Speaker 1: I mean, I definitely understand the concern regarding statutory permanence. But let's examine how this contractual mechanism actually functions in reality. Okay, specifically, when we look at the ban on secrecy, I think the overarching legality and frankly, the moral justification of this framework is validated by the specific mechanism that makes it work, which is the outright ban on non disclosure.
Speaker 2: Agreements the NDAs.
Speaker 1: Right, the NDAs. Yeah, The executive order dictates that the use of NDAs is no longer permissible for Commonwealth agencies interacting with these developers, and for the past decade have been the global standard for data center siting.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, everything is hidden behind shell companies, right.
Speaker 1: These shell companies are utilized to deliberately hide load projections and water draw from the very residents who will actually be impacted. So, coming back to how contracts substitute for new laws, this contract substitutes for a new law by mandating absolute public disclosure to earn local consent.
Speaker 2: I'm not defending NDAs.
Speaker 1: But just think about it from a practical standpoint. It is like someone buying the empty lot next to your house, right but legally forbidding you or even the town council from knowing if they plan to turn it into a twenty four hour industrial factory that will just drain the local reservoir. Sure no one wants that exactly. The state is entirely justified in withholding public fast tracks and these lucrative tax exemptions from entities that demand total secrecy. The government is simply saying, if you want our expedited administry help, you have to tell us exactly who you are and what you're building.
Speaker 3: Look, the concept of transparency is incredibly popular. I'll give you that, but let's look at the actual bureaucratic reality of weaponizing the permitting process.
Speaker 2: To achieve it.
Speaker 3: Weaponizing, Yeah, weaponizing you mentioned with holding tax exemptions. This is where the legal gymnastics of this executive order really become a parent. The administration is tying the Department of Revenues sales and Use tax exemptions which are massive, I mean massive financial incentives for server hardware directly to the signing of the Dep's environmental contract.
Speaker 1: Right leveraging the incentive.
Speaker 3: But that creates a convoluted maze of interagency hostage taking. By linking a tax incentive to a grid priority surrender, you aren't streamlining good projects. You are creating a massive administrative choke point.
Speaker 1: But is it a choke point or a filter?
Speaker 3: Well, look at the data release with the order. It reveals a staggering bottleneck. There are over one hundred projects sitting in public databases right now in Pennsylvania. Of those fifty eight of approach the DP okay, only fifteen have actually formally applied for a permit and exactly five, just five hold what is needed for.
Speaker 2: A first phase Wow. Okay, five out of one hundred.
Speaker 3: When you use complex interagency contracts to substitute for clear laws, you don't speed up responsible development. You create a paralyzed environment where developers are basically just waiting to see how a rotating cast of executive agencies will interpret a newly minted consent order.
Speaker 2: Before they commit capital.
Speaker 1: See I look at that bottleneck, and I don't think that is a failure of the system. I think it is the system working exactly as intended.
Speaker 3: How is blocking ninety five percent of projects working as intended?
Speaker 1: Because sorting those one hundred projects out in public, forcing them to meet the grid requirements before they receive the state's blessing. That is how you separate viable, responsible infrastructure from what are essentially speculative land grabs.
Speaker 2: I mean some them are speculative, Sure.
Speaker 1: A lot of them are. And this forces developers to consult communities early enough in the process to actually shape the design decisions, rather than presenting a finished, unalterable schematic to a town under the threat of litigation, which is what they usually do.
Speaker 3: But transparency over data means nothing. If the facility brings the electric grid to its knees first.
Speaker 1: Well that's where the technical requirements.
Speaker 3: Come in, right, And the DP knows this, which is why they tied these transparency disclosures directly to the most controversial part of this whole order, which is the curtailment ranking.
Speaker 1: Ah, the curtailment ranking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this shifts our focus to the physical consequences on the power grid. The Special Council for Energy Fordability is actively pushing the Public Utility Commission to mandate the data centers lose electric service before anyone else when the grid is under strain.
Speaker 1: Right, which protects hospital, schools and you know, residential neighborhoods from rolling blackouts during extreme weather events. That seems entirely reasonable.
Speaker 3: It protects them by destroying the fundamental business model of AI infrastructure.
Speaker 1: Okay, explain that because I think a lot of people just see them as giant server rooms.
Speaker 3: Right, we really need to unpack the mechanics of what happens inside these facilities. If a company is training a large language model, a trillion parameter AI model, they have tens of thousands of GPUs synchronizing weight updates in real time.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: If the regional.
Speaker 3: Grid operator cuts their power because say it's a hot day in July and the grid is stressed, the hardware doesn't just pause nicely.
Speaker 1: It doesn't just pick up where it left off.
Speaker 3: No, not at all. The system desynchronizes. You corrupt the checkpoint data. The developer loses days, sometimes weeks of complex computational math, which easily translates to tens of millions of dollars in lost capital per event. Oh wow, yeah, it's catastrophic for a training run. If developers are forced, via this mandatory contract to price in the extra dream risk of losing power first, they are just not going to build in Pennsylvania. They will take their capital to states that don't treat them as a disposable, interruptible asset.
Speaker 1: I see the risk there, but.
Speaker 3: And wait, furthermore, the order demands they pay for pgm's reliability backstop auctions, right the regional grid operator exactly PJM. If the regional transmission organization and backstop auctions are essentially capacity markets, you pay power plants to stay on standby just in case demand spikes. Forcing data centers to shoulder that standby cost alone through an executive contract rather than a broad legislative tax is While it's like making a new resident pay for a fully staffed ambulance to sit idle in their driveway twenty four hours a day just in case they get sick, while the rest of the town pays normal taxes.
Speaker 2: It is totally punitive.
Speaker 1: That is a great analogy, But I interpret that dynamic entirely differently. I fiercely defend the curtailment ranking, and I think it echoes a really vital principle articulated by PUC chairman Steve defranc He said growth should pay for growth.
Speaker 2: I agree with the principle, just not the method.
Speaker 1: But you argue that turning grid costs into a constraint on uptime will make them flee. I argue it is the exact technical lever required to force hyperscalers to innovate an energy efficiency.
Speaker 2: By threatening their uptime.
Speaker 1: Yes, because if they know they are first on the chopping block for curtailment, they are mathematically forced to change their architecture. Okay, how they will build robust on site backup generation right like small modular reactors or geothermal storage. They will invest in advanced cooling systems that draw less power during peak hours, and they'll design more fault tolerant AI training architectures that can actually handle those rolling power adjustments.
Speaker 3: Or they will just bypass the headache and build in Ohio where the legislature offers clear statutory guidance without the threat of sudden curtailment.
Speaker 1: They can try, but they cannot hide from grid physics forever twenty seven. Other states are currently weighing large load legislation right now because the grid constraints are completely universal.
Speaker 2: Sure the grid is stressed everywhere.
Speaker 1: Look at what happens when a state does not mandate these curtailments and upgrades upfront. If you look at Virginia, which is widely considered the data center capital of the world, forty eight massive projects representing like one hundred and fifty six billion dollars in potential investment were blocked or stalled by intense local opposition just this year.
Speaker 2: The pushback there has been huge.
Speaker 1: Right because the citizens realized that data centers were threatening their local grid reliability and driving up their baseline utility rates, so they were volted at the zoning level. Pennsylvania's contractual approach preempts that local rebellion by legally ensuring data centers lose power before households do. The contract secures local consent, which honestly is the only way these multi billion dollar facilities actually get built in the long term. But that assumes the premise that executive fiat is the only way to secure consent. If we agree that growth should pay for growth, we should implement that through the legislature. That's where all stakeholders, the utilities, the tech firms, the consumer advocates can actually debate the economic impact of that curtailment. Ranking. When an executive order just declares it, it sends a chilling signal for the capital markets. It sends a signal that the state is serious.
Speaker 3: It sends a signal of instability. And this local rebellion you mentioned it isn't just about electricity. A massive power draw is always accompanied by a massive physical footprint that threatens local natural resources. And this brings us back to the core issue, which is we need to analyze the technical requirements on water consumption because this further illustrates the limits of executive authority.
Speaker 1: I actually look at the water usage requirements as one of the areas where the consent order absolutely shines. The specific disclosure duties mandated by this contract are rigorously detailed. Facility operators aren't just giving a vague public relations promise not to waste local water anymore.
Speaker 2: No, they have to provide hard numbers exactly.
Speaker 1: The contract forces them to report annual energy and natural gas consumption, estimated average hourly use at peak, total overall water consumption, and crucially, their maximum day demand.
Speaker 3: Now, maximum day demand sounds like standard bureaucratic jargon, but physically it is the most dangerous metric on that paper.
Speaker 1: Exactly because we have to look at the thermodynamics of how these facilities operate. Let's break this down for a second. Data centers are essentially massive heat generators YEP. To prevent the servers from melting, operators frequently rely on evaporative cooling systems, so they pump water over heat exchangers and blow air across them, evaporating the water to reject the heat into the atmosphere.
Speaker 2: It's essentially a giant swamp cooler basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And on a mild day, their water draw from the local municipality is manageable. But on the hottest day of the year that is the maximum day, the outside air is already hot, right, so the heat exchange is radibly inefficient, meaning the system has to work over time evaporating millions of gallons of water pulling directly from local aquifers or municipal supplies, exactly when the rest of the town is already facing drought conditions or peak agricultural demand.
Speaker 2: It's a perfect storm.
Speaker 1: It is that single day can ruin a local water system. By forcing the disclosure of maximum day demand and by providing a live public map of every proposed project that has engaged with the DDP, the state forces developers to prove they meet water conservation standards before a single shovel hits the ground. It replaces a reactive regulatory posture with a proactive, data driven contract that actually protects public resources.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's look at the mechanics of what you just described, because while a live map and reporting requirements sound great in a press release, they are inherently flimsy compared to hard, codified legislative financial commitments. How So, let's examine the critique from Food and Water Wine much they campaign heavily on protecting local aquifers from exactly the evaporative cooling threat you just outlined.
Speaker 1: Right, They are very active in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: And they called this executive order too little, too late.
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 3: Yes, why because the highly lucrative sales tax incentive for data center equipment actually survives this order. The governor is demanding transparency on maximum day water demand, yes, but the executive branch is simultaneously handing out massive tax breaks to the very facilities draining those specific resources.
Speaker 1: I see the contradiction there.
Speaker 3: It's a huge contradiction. If we want to look at how this should actually be done to protect citizens, we need to look at states passing actual, binding financial laws that target the economics of the industry.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're referring to the statutory approaches in places like New Jersey and Virginia precisely.
Speaker 3: Let's look at New Jersey. They recently passed the Data Center Fair Share Act. That is a real debated statute.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: It legally requires facilities above fifty megawatts to commit to paying at least eighty five percent of their projected power costs for a decade. Oh wow, right, that guarantees the utilities and the taxpayers aren't left holding the bag if the AI bubble bursts and these facilities go dark. And Virginia added a hard energy consumption tax of one point one CeNSE per kilowatt hour.
Speaker 1: Which adds incredibly fast for a data center.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Those are real, durable financial laws passed by legislatures that fundamentally alter the economics of resource consumption. A contract based on a live map, you know, forced onto a developer by an executive branch that could change hands in twenty four months. It is simply not a substitute for democratic lawmaking. It creates a mirage of strict environmental regulation while quietly maintaining the tax loopholes that incentivize the resource extraction in the first place.
Speaker 1: I hear you, but I think the flaw in that reasoning is that you are treating the legislative process as if it operates in a vacuum of perfect efficiency and objective debate.
Speaker 2: It's not perfect, but it's durable.
Speaker 1: But you mentioned earlier that the Pennsylvania Senate Republicans declined to move the grid legislation. We simply do not have the luxury of waiting for the perfect legislative consensus while AI models scale exponentially every few months. The technical requirements embedded in this executive contract, you know, forcing hyperscalers to report pollution mitigation, perform highly accurate load forecasting, and detail peak water draw those are enforceable right now today, enforceable by who by the dep The dep has real teeth. If a developer violates the terms of the consent order by pulling more water than agreed upon, the state can halt their operations. Immediately. It is an immediate, practical application of state power designed to protect citizens in real time.
Speaker 3: It is an application of state power, yes, but it fundamentally shifts the balance of power from elected lawmakers to unelected bureaucrats at the dep and the Department of Revenue.
Speaker 1: But they are executing the governor's mandate.
Speaker 3: Sure, but you are celebrating the fact that the state is withholding a massive sales tax exemption unless a private developer signs away their right to grid prioritization. That is a colossal policy decision. It is deciding who receives power during a severe winter storm or a summer heat wave should not be buried in a template agreement drafted by an executive agency in a back room. That allocation of critical resources should be debated on the floor of the House and Senate, where representatives of the actual citizens can vote on it.
Speaker 1: But the underlying principles of the grid requirements reflect exactly what those constituents are demanding. I mean, people do not want their communities kept in the dark by NDAs, They do not want their local aquifers drained for server cooling, and they certainly do not want their monthly power bills spiking to subsidize a tech giant's new server farm.
Speaker 2: Nobody wants that, I agree, right.
Speaker 1: So the contract is just the vehicle to deliver the protection the public is overwhelmingly asking for.
Speaker 3: Delivering protection via an executive ultimatum establishes a very dangerous precedent. Though, what happens when a different governor with entirely different political priorities decides to use this exact same contractual mechanism to bypass environmental protections.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a hypothetical risk, but.
Speaker 3: It's a real structural risk. If we establish the norm that contracts can substitute for laws as long as the state controls the permit file, we are degrading the foundational rule of law. And from an industry perspective, it makes Pennsylvania highly precarious for investment. You cannot build a multi billion dollar AI training facility that requires a ten year payback period based on an executive order that might just vanish after the next election cycle.
Speaker 1: I really have to disagree that it makes the state uninvestable. I think it makes the state predictably responsible. Predictably, yes, predictably. The tech companies building these facilities, these trillion dollar hyper scalers. They are incredibly sophisticated. Governor Shapiro previously championed a twenty billion dollar Amazon commitment in the state. Right he understands how these companies operate and what they can absorb.
Speaker 2: They can absorb a lot.
Speaker 1: Yes, as he noted, these companies possess the capital to be good neighbors, to follow the rules, and to build sustainable infrastructure. They know that if they try to force their way into a community using NDAs in secret power allocations, the eventual zoning backlash and litigation will cost them far more than simply complying with this consent order. Upfront, the contract provides a clear, albeit strict roadmap to local acceptance.
Speaker 3: Recognizing that a trillion dollar company has the capital to afford infrastructure upgrades and legally mandating those upgrades through an improper administrative channel. Those are two completely different things. One is an observation of wealth right, the other is a circumvention of the legislature.
Speaker 1: We have on packed a tremendous amount of legal and technical complexity today, and I think we really delivered on looking at how contracts substitute for new laws and analyzing those technical requirements on water and energy. We definitely covered some ground, so to summarize my position, Pennsylvania has effectively rewritten the regulatory rule book for the AI era. They have proven that leveraging existing permitting powers and mandatory technical contracts regarding water demand, energy forecasting, and grid retailment, that can outpace sluggish legislatures to protect citizens. By banning NDAs and forcing developers to internalize their massive infrastructural costs through a consent order, I think the state has delivered a pragmatic masterstroke of modern regulation.
Speaker 3: And my position remains that regulating multi billion dollar AI infrastructure via executive ultamada and permit hostage taking it creates a precarious, unpredictable environment. It substitutes true democratic lawmaking with fragile political contracts. While I absolutely agree that transparency over water and energy use is vital, circumventing the legislature to imposed draconian curtailment rules and convoluted tax games will only drive critical infrastructure to other states. It leaves the foundational issues of grid stability and water management unresolved by actual, durable.
Speaker 1: Law, despite our fundamental disagreement on the mechanism. I think where we do find some profound convergence today, and honestly, the source material makes this undeniable is the realization of a massive structural shift in the data center industry itself. Oh entirely. The core in variable to price into AI capacity is no longer just land acquisition or cheap baseline power, or even your queue position with the regional utility.
Speaker 3: That is absolutely true. The new core variable is consent and the mandatory disclosure of technical data, the evaporative cooling water draw the peak energy use, the grid impact studies. That is now the absolute baseline required to earn that local consent. The era of hyperscalers building massive facilities behind shell companies and in total secrecy is functionally over.
Speaker 1: It really is. This is a remarkably complex issue, sitting right at the intersection of cutting edge technology, thermodynamics, and administrative law. Listeners should keep a close eye on whether this Pennsylvania contractual template spreads to other states looking for a quick regulatory fix, or if it ultimately collapses under its own lack of statutory permanence as capital flees to friendlier legislative environments.
Speaker 2: It's going to be fascinating to watch.
Speaker 1: We will leave it to you to weigh the evidence and decide which path is best. But the next time you look at an empty lot in your neighborhood, just remember the fight over what gets built there and exactly who gets to know about it is quietly reshaping the future of the Internet and.
Speaker 2: The grid we all rely on.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us.