Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Everybody.
Speaker 2: Neil Savadra, Marla teez in today for Gary and Shannon this two hours down. Yeah, this isn't just a tiny little it's in amuz boosh for you, Marla, because Marla will leave here to go to Fox eleven on the West Side and she will work until midnight.
Speaker 4: So it's good for you. I'm bringing home the bacon. Yeah, I guess so. Yeah, mister Fork reporter, you like that. Yeah, you liked that. It's an honor to be here.
Speaker 3: No, it's good fun and I'm thrilled.
Speaker 1: And I haven't worked with you in a long time. No, it was I think springtime maybe, Yeah, because we haven't really there. I worked with Shannon once. I've been just doing the morning show. I haven't done it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you and Handle, I listened to you all the time.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, buddy.
Speaker 2: I know you're very nice to hit me up and you know, hey, I like that or you' I always feel like I'm going to hit you up in the middle of TV or something, and you're gonna like stop what you're doing and look at.
Speaker 4: Your phone, and I'm like, oh my gosh, I shouldn't have done that. It's an emergency. Do I have a special reading A little bit of a professional?
Speaker 3: I like to think, Do I have a special.
Speaker 4: Excuse me, Alex, I got a call. It's Neil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's not going to hear you say that for another ten seconds because of the height difference.
Speaker 3: Ah wow, all right.
Speaker 2: Trending, Yes, of course, the horrible stuff going in Rancho Palace Verdes with the landslide danger, but it's causing electrical problems. The photos and videos coming out of this area are heartbreaking. One hundred and forty homes there have the power cut off. We're told more. We talked to the mayor earlier today as well as our very own to break down as to what was going.
Speaker 4: On, and we have a blackout.
Speaker 1: Also trending today, ESPN, ABC and other Disney channels dropped from Direct TV in a contract dispute. Eleven million customers impacted by this, and this was really felt yesterday. I live in an USC household, and so it was the highly anticipated USC in Vegas against LSU.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was like a preseason because the seventh this coming Saturday, is the actual first.
Speaker 4: Oh no, that's the home opener.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the home opener. So this is this was hard to find. It was not.
Speaker 2: We had a very upset household, both my in laws and you know we're a usc house.
Speaker 1: Well we don't have direct TV, so we weren't impacted, but eleven million people were.
Speaker 3: It was a mess.
Speaker 2: So all right, Gavin Newsom pushes California cities on homelessness.
Speaker 3: He's getting fed up.
Speaker 2: They God, somebody poked him with a stick or woke them up or told him, there you have.
Speaker 3: We have your vineyards, and we're not giving.
Speaker 2: Them back until you start doing something about homelessness. He's really saying, hey, you're not going to get money from us, state money. You're not going to get backing from us. We're going to withhold stuff if you don't start doing this.
Speaker 1: And then also we know that Governor Newsom was the mayor of San Francisco, well that city. This weekend, the big headline was the shooting of forty nine Ers rookie Ricky Parsol.
Speaker 3: What a crazy story. This is terrible shut in the chest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he spent his Saturday signing autographs at the Cow Palace. I'm from the Bay Area, I was born in San Francisco, so I know it well. And then he went to Union Square and apparently was just out there walking in Union Square and there was an attempted robbery for his watch, which is a Rolex, and he was shot in the chest. The suspect correct me if I'm wrong, A seventeen year old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It was a young and understanding.
Speaker 1: And he was Pearsall was taken to the hospital. He was listening in stable condition, serious condition. But fortunately yesterday the Niners put out a statement and said that he is okay and he was released from the hospital. But this again is highlighting the crime in San Francisco, particularly Union Square where we've seen a lot of businesses shut down. And the DA Brooke Jenkins, she was out there and said this is definitely a setback for us.
Speaker 4: So hopefully they can they can wrangle that in because that is a problem. Swamp watch.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's horrible.
Speaker 4: The government doesn't work.
Speaker 3: Sounds like.
Speaker 4: Always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d C.
Speaker 1: Hey Joe a town all too clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways still a swamp much of Milwaukee.
Speaker 4: Why, he said, d the swamp. I said, oh, that's so I'll keep you.
Speaker 5: Know the thing.
Speaker 2: I wanted to get to that darned Colorado town being overrun by Venezuelan gangs.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: All right, So I went to not this past weekend, the weekend before I went to visit my sister in law and you know, Max's cousins and stuff like that. So as a family, we went to Arizona and as you cross the Colorado River, basically he drove. Yeah, we drove out of California into Arizona. You watch the gas prices drop by two dollars.
Speaker 3: Immediately, the boom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, drive over and now you've got lawmakers seeking, uh, you know, a little more time to look over all these different proposals backed by New sum they're aimed to reduce gas prices spikes. And it's like, well, stop taxing the crap out of everything. Stop telling us you're going to fix our roads and we need to pay for it, and then do nothing with it.
Speaker 3: How about that for a proposal.
Speaker 1: So he called a special session because he wants this, but he's getting pushed back, which is interesting because this is, as we know, it's a democratic controlled legislature. So the Democrats are pushing back on the governor, which is unusual and essentially says that you trying to reduce gas price spikes at the pump is going to produce gas price spikes at the pump, of course.
Speaker 2: Because that's the logic that comes out of Washington or any statehouse. I do love the fact that this port bastard, now Newsome is finding he has very little pull, very little push, and it's like, you weren't picked. They didn't come to you. You're not here to save anybody. They didn't even put you.
Speaker 4: Are you talking about the national stage?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: And so now he's got to actually do stuff here.
Speaker 4: Right, as she.
Speaker 1: Said, he has to govern the great state of California, the Golden State.
Speaker 3: So the debate is coming up.
Speaker 4: Is it eight days from today? Okay, September the tenth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the twenty twenty four race massive that stretch that we kept saying, you know, oh, we've got over seventy days, and then it keeps ticking down.
Speaker 4: I think it's down to sixty four now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we just.
Speaker 2: Keep ticking away, Right, this is down to a very critical stretch. You keep seeing all the polls going back and forth, or neck and neck or things like that. But the first ballots are set to go out very soon, and this is where the rubber will meet that proverbial road.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll see if in fact the debate actually happens. There were some back and forth over the weekend online Kamala Harris took to x and basically called out Trump for not wanting the mics to be unmuted. She wants that as part of the deal. There was an agreement already, right, so they were going to.
Speaker 3: Do the same rules as this in the previous one.
Speaker 1: Right back in June, the demise of Biden June twenty seventh, that was Biden.
Speaker 3: That's a good way to say it. It really was.
Speaker 1: It was a historic night and it changed the course of everything. And now we have I mean, the last time I filled in here, President Biden was the nominee.
Speaker 4: Yeah, was the presumpt of nominee. And now we have Kamala Harris.
Speaker 1: She's made up a lot of ground in the polls, but we know how poles work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's always going to be a bumping excitement. It's a big party put on.
Speaker 1: But this time four years ago the polls Biden was up double digits, and now, I mean it's a virtual dead heat in the battleground states. And we know that that's what counts national polling. Sure, that's there, but the battleground states is where where it matters the most. So she pushed back a little bit over the weekend. So I assume that at ABC News debate will happen September the tenth, eight days from today.
Speaker 4: But you know, I mean she's starting to.
Speaker 2: If I was Trump, I'd want to be muted personally, and I know a lot of people disagree with that, but I think his mic being muted made Biden look worse. If he would have stepped in there, he would have given more time. It's like a ropodope in a fight or something like that. If you have any time to breathe, you get your wherewithal back and you get back in the ring. And if someone lets you fall to the ground and the count starts, that's a different thing. And I think she the more time she has, the worse of a speaker she is. And I think that if he is quiet then she kind of does herself in.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, But I also think to that point that's why she wants the mic unmuted, because he can't control himself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they're all trying out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, he wants she wants him to say something horribly racist or right.
Speaker 4: But the other thing is is Trump's.
Speaker 1: M O has been to get in front of as many cameras and to hold as many news conferences, press conferences.
Speaker 4: He takes questions.
Speaker 1: He is on television all the time, so and he says he can say egregious things at any given moment, but it doesn't become headline news necessarily because there's so much. There's so much to sift through. Meanwhile, Kamala Harris stays away from the camera. She doesn't step in front of it. She just did her first sit down, as you know, the last week, but she did so with her running mate next to her, and then of course got criticized for that. So she steps into the limelights so rarely that when she does open her mouth, then the stakes are that much higher.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh, and she's putting herself in that situation as well.
Speaker 2: All right, more of Swamp Watch when we return, including.
Speaker 3: Some fun things.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump said, are they going to work? Are they going to stick?
Speaker 3: Are they not? We'll be back with more of that, Neil Savedra marlateas.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, Neil Savedra and mar La teas in for Gary and Shannon today and all week as they are out doing.
Speaker 3: I don't know, a vacation, have we guess or something.
Speaker 4: They're living their lives, living the dream.
Speaker 2: Yes, living that morning talk radio dream, morning, early afternoon talk radio dream. And we are in the middle of swamp Watch, which of course cannot be done without the Orange Man himself. Trump calls Harris a Marxist, a communist, even a fascist. But there is a story in the La Times Surprise. Surprise is saying why they don't believe these punches Land.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some public opinion polls. The show Harris has risen steadily and voters' eyes and holds a narrow lead and the national popular vote right now. A Wall Street Journal poll released last week found that Harris is viewed positively by forty nine percent of voters, again of fourteen percent since July.
Speaker 2: I think there was an initial rush. And again I know this just comes across his cynicism, but it seemed like there was this initial rush that people that were going to hold their nose and vote for Biden were like, oh my god, I get to vote for somebody who's alive.
Speaker 1: Kind of like, okay, it's just it's somebody who's not Biden.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will, I will feel less icky about this. And you know, as we saw that turning that way. But the fact is, I guess I get that he's taking breath and he's not dead yet. But the man needs to enjoy thank you for your service. You need to enjoy the rest of your life sitting somewhere out right. So's kind of that x ale. And now we are seeing that, well, that may balance out a little bit. I don't know if those did you see those numbers that went around, you know, showing Kamala Harris like just wasting Trump in some pole and it was said that it was probably faked. I never take down, but the ones that I'm seeing now seems to have him in some key states tiny bit up or even with, which is kind of how you tend to see it. Now that they both got away from the RNC and the.
Speaker 1: DNC, right, I mean, after the RNC, there's so much elation and it seemed it was a done deal that Donald Trump was going to be the clear winner. Again that was but when Biden was in it, and now with Harris after the DNC, the same elation. There's so much rallying behind that and the polls. As I would saying earlier, she's definitely made up ground. It's just neck and neck. I mean I go to real clear politics a lot and I check every day, and nationally she's up one point eight.
Speaker 4: Again, this is all within the margin of error. It's just a dead heat.
Speaker 1: And then the top battlegrounds She's at forty seven point eight. Trump's at forty seven point five, I mean dead heat.
Speaker 4: And it was.
Speaker 2: Different with when you're going up against Hillary Clinton, who is a very I'm gonna be as kind as I can, a very difficult person to like.
Speaker 3: For whatever reason.
Speaker 1: Well, and her campaign a lot of that was on identity politics, where it wash and Kamala Harris has not done that smartly.
Speaker 4: I think that's an action because.
Speaker 1: No one's going to vote for you to be the first woman to be the first Asian American African American.
Speaker 4: Candidate, Jamaican American, Jamaican American.
Speaker 2: I know, right, if we're gonna start parsing, if we're gonna pars everything, yes, yeah, so get down to all that.
Speaker 1: Her father's from Jamaica, her mother's from India.
Speaker 3: So it ends up becoming.
Speaker 2: You know, now it's the dust is settling, and now it's kind of like the race starts.
Speaker 1: And that's typically well, it's interesting, yeah that after Labor Day it's usually sort of the downhill to the election. But now it's just given those circumstances, which is historic, it's just sort of like ramping up now, and the ballots go out at North Carolina is the first state to send out those early ballots. Those go out this Friday, I believe, and we're just over two months away from November the fifth.
Speaker 2: There's also a lot of European shifts towards conservative movements due to a lot of the chaos and crime going on there. Who knows how that will play a part. You know, there's a lot of crime going on here. This story is kind of bizarre. Israelis erupt in protest demand a ceasefire after six more hostages die, in Gaza. You know, you'd think the you think the initial response would be this is horrible.
Speaker 3: That one. You can't take hostages like this in war.
Speaker 2: In the same way, in the same sense, Moss is not playing by you know.
Speaker 4: The humanitarian yeah, Geneva conventions.
Speaker 2: So you think it's like, well, they are taking hostages and killing them. You'd think that would anger people against Hamas. But again it focuses on.
Speaker 4: Prime Minister Benjamin Yah, who, yeah.
Speaker 3: Who's not a very likable guy.
Speaker 1: And well, this will only incite him to continue on. I mean, he makes that if you go to his latest social media posts, he says, the abductors who killed our abductees are not interested in a deal, and we will carry on just as we have. So he's not going to slow anything down. Meanwhile, they are protests erupting and Tel Aviv, there's strikes that are underway, and all of that anger is being centered toward net and Yahoo right now.
Speaker 4: And one of the.
Speaker 1: Young men who was killed, he's in his early twenties, Hirsch Goldberg, Poland.
Speaker 4: He was born in Oakland.
Speaker 1: He was there for the music festival, like many of them were, just to be there for that, and his parents were the ones.
Speaker 4: If you saw who took to the stage in the DNC.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this is not Yeah, mom and dad there pleading and saying, this is not a political issue. This is not politics. This is a humanitarian issue. And now they just got worried that their son is among those six who were killed and found dead.
Speaker 2: I couldn't imagine my wildest imagination, could not imagine what they're going through. And the remaining people that still have a question mark by their names as to whether they're alive or not, that are being their corpses are being held essentially is insane to me. All Right, more to come. You've got Neil Savedra Marlotez in for Gary and Shannon today.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 4: Monday.
Speaker 2: To you, it is labor day today. We are laboring, so you don't have to.
Speaker 4: Yes, we are. Marlote is here.
Speaker 3: We didn't really keep them from laboring today.
Speaker 2: They weren't going to come in and fill No, we kept Gary and Shannon from laboring.
Speaker 4: Good point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and everybody else they're screwed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let us know. You're just how come we haven't solicited on the talk back.
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't even think about that.
Speaker 4: Let us know if you're laboring, hit us up on the talk back.
Speaker 2: On that iHeartRadio app, you'll see a little iconic with a microphone impressed on that gives you thirty seconds and you can. You know how to do it. You listen to Gary and Shannon. They have people do it. I thought you were going to say, let us know, you know if you're working today, and we'll come help you. Like what, You've got a job after this job, sister.
Speaker 4: Hey, I'm lucky I got in here today.
Speaker 1: The gates are closed because it's a holiday, and my my, your car, my car didn't work to get me in and here I am. We'll see, Like I said, my car might be Towed's hope.
Speaker 3: If it is es that'll be hilarious.
Speaker 4: That would be funny.
Speaker 1: So can I I want to start with some good news right now, some great news. So the Paralympics are underway in Paris right now. And as refract. He's LA's as refract born here with congenital limbed differences.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of the listeners here are familiar with his own.
Speaker 2: He's been on Gary and Shannon he's been on many of the shows here.
Speaker 1: So he's nineteen years old. Lovely family, an amazing family. Well there Clayton and Bahar, they are there watching him. And today was the finals for the one hundred meters and he placed first.
Speaker 4: He won gold.
Speaker 3: It was insane.
Speaker 2: We watched it together on Marla's phone and he came from behind.
Speaker 4: He did. I mean, he wasn't last, but he certainly.
Speaker 1: I mean, but it's a nice victory. It's a beautiful victory. He dropped the hammer. I mean, he just got stronger and stronger, stronger.
Speaker 2: Going into your sports boom goes, yes, yeah, but that way it was. I mean, a win is a win is a win, but it was a sweet win the way he pushed through.
Speaker 1: And yesterday were the prelambs and he placed third and so he qualified for today, and so going in today it was oh, you place third, okay, and it was a personal record for him yesterday.
Speaker 4: But he is that kid, is so focused.
Speaker 1: And it's also nine hours ahead, so it's later obviously it's nighttime, well into the their what Monday, and you know, God bless him. He went out there and he gave it his all and this is not even his thing. His thing is tomorrow Tuesday. It's the high jump, which he is the world record holder for that, so he has a gold medal already.
Speaker 4: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: If you don't already follow him and you're on social, please give him a follow because if you want to be inspired, he'll do.
Speaker 4: It for you.
Speaker 2: It's strange because we've watched him grow grow up, and I think she hadn't stand on the air one time because he would. They would come in the studio and since he was a little kid, She's like, oh my gosh, he's a man and he's very good looking. She's like, I've watched him since he was tiny.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: I met him when he was I think he was six years old, and so I have a picture with him then versus now, and he towers. Oh yeah, and he is speaking of how good looking he is, he's a model for Hugo Boss now. Yeah, he's on billboards. I mean, this kid is just he's something else.
Speaker 3: Good for him.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: I'm so happy.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, yes, especially proud, and the parents are proud, which leads us into parenting. Now needs some sort of warning. Needs parenting may cause stress, No crap, it's a hazard to your health, so says this new advisory warning coming from the US Surgeon General, doctor Vivic Murphy, and who is a father of two. But he issued this advisory warning on Wednesday, saying that there's a lot of pressure that parents are under, that it's now or he sees it as having already become a public health problem. So one percent of parents report they can't function most days because of stress. Forty eight said percent said they're completely overwhelmed by stress.
Speaker 4: This here's the thing we know.
Speaker 1: And again take my comments with a grain assault. Everybody, don't come at me. I'm not a parent.
Speaker 3: You're allowed to have a point of view.
Speaker 1: Just my point of view is I was raised by a single mom under hard times, and she did everything that she could in her power to raise me and my older brother. And that woman is a superhero. I cannot stress that enough. And she is my guiding star and I love that woman and she Parenting is stressful and has been forever, and not just for single parents, for both parents at home.
Speaker 4: It's a stressful job. You kind of know that when you get into it.
Speaker 1: I think the difference now though again not a parent, but I notice in this particular article, they talk about the parents worry of now school shootings, which I could see social media, social media, social media.
Speaker 4: Do you navigate that?
Speaker 2: I mean my boys seven, he'll be eight in November. It hasn't entered his focus as of yet, and it will be different as he gets older. I realized by stress will change. But I would say any relationship causes stress. If you care about someone. When you care about somebody, you want them, you want them to be well. How is this any different than regular crime? There is more likelihood of my family, god forbid, being involved in regular, everyday crime than there is a school shooting. As far as the numbers, it just is that. I know it's not Yeah, it's not so to get the publicity. And you know what, do I want my kid shot at school?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Do I want him knife punched, thrown in front of a car, hit by a car, hit and run.
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: You know what I will tell you right now. I don't give a rat's ass about what weapons used. I care more that I don't want my kid hurt, sure and or where it's done. So, but I think caring for anybody causes stress because you actually care, really, I mean, you had a scare last year sometime where somebody followed.
Speaker 4: You when you cha cha run and I was running and it's that was on.
Speaker 3: You were just jogging.
Speaker 4: You were doing your run, right. I was in the middle of my run. It was a Sunday afternoon. It was on a busy street.
Speaker 1: Santa Monica Boulevard in Century City, and this I would put him at twenty years old, maybe definitely had crazy eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if he, you know, was on drugs, mental health issues. He literally chased me down full sprint and I was on mile ten of a thirteen mile run, so much so that the past her buys.
Speaker 4: Witnessed this and they pulled over, didn't they?
Speaker 1: And yeah, I had some my guardian angels, who I call them, pull over and in a it's like a California stop where you're rolling, you know, and she's waving me into the vehicle and I hopped into a stranger's.
Speaker 3: They could see it in your eyes.
Speaker 1: And the person she saw more than I did, because she saw him see me and then target me and I'm running and I didn't I saw him.
Speaker 3: That's so scary.
Speaker 1: And so next thing you know, I'm sitting on top of a stranger's lap in the passenger seat, you know, hyperventilating, not knowing what in the world's going on.
Speaker 4: She starts crying. I mean, it was the it was the most I mean talking about stress, right, it was just it was such a bizarre moment.
Speaker 2: You come home and you tell your husband John that you don't think that stresses him out. You both want hers, you're both I mean, things.
Speaker 4: Like this happen all the time, every day.
Speaker 2: Yes, life is you can't nerve the world. It has sharp edges, and there are horrible things. And I know that I say this with a seven year old instead of a fourteen year old who now could be dealing with bullying on social media, bullying or any of those things being influenced. Yeah, it's going to be stressful. It's a little maybe less stressful for me because I'm an older parent.
Speaker 1: But then the other thing that you have to think about is what the parents stress, what that does to the kid because the kids can feel me that the kids can feel exactly what you're dealing with, and they mimic you. Right, So you're supposed to be that example. And so children were twice as likely to have behavioral, developmental or mental disorders, and four times likely to have poor mental health when their primary caregiver had poor mental health.
Speaker 4: That's according to a study, of course.
Speaker 2: But well, Max's mom and dad are crazy, so but we're fun crazy.
Speaker 4: You're absolutely fun. Hey, you're in charge of the Haunted House.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it is school.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: Chair look at me.
Speaker 4: That's awesome, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: My poor son in his playroom right now has a full size animatronic stormtrooper at six feet tall, no, seven foot and change, Darth Vader in there right now, and he's like, daddy, you move the well, dear mine, and he goes, could you move these?
Speaker 3: I have no space to play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I want.
Speaker 3: Killed for these?
Speaker 4: Can you get Darth out of here? Yeah?
Speaker 3: He's huge, Yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 4: Oh I love. He's going to be the.
Speaker 3: Good kind of Max.
Speaker 4: I want to invite to come over. I want to see.
Speaker 2: You'll have no oh my god. Oh all right, let's get some sanity in this mix.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, happy Monday, Yeah, Happy Monday, Happy labor.
Speaker 3: Are we allowed to stay? Happy? Monday is that like a thing. It's yeah, I don't know what you call me.
Speaker 2: I actually like Mondays just fine. Fridays just set me up for Saturday that I got to work.
Speaker 4: Well you did the sixth day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's like coming from the person who works twelve hour days.
Speaker 3: Good for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, in heels and makeup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I come in here a hard time for Yeah. Well you sound like I'm so high maintenance you are. I'm really not that himinenance.
Speaker 2: Your first date with your now husband, I think your hair was in a ponytail and you, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's because i'd given up, given up.
Speaker 4: Well that's what it's like to do radio. You couldn't get TV.
Speaker 3: It's like we've given up. We show here and we show up.
Speaker 2: Here in pj's Like, either you like me or yeah, this is what you're getting me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at first, the first the first date is always I never agreed to anything more than a drink or coffee whatever it was. It wasn't a meal, because this is a waste of time. And so because you know you're efficient, I like absolutely well. After it took some time. Again, I met my husband, I was forty, so that's a lot of years being single a lot of bad dates.
Speaker 4: So I learned my my rules. That was one of my rules. Never never a meal.
Speaker 1: So I agreed to meet him, and I pull up and I didn't spend any time getting ready because I'd done that.
Speaker 4: This is why I waste all that effort.
Speaker 1: And sure enough I see him outside and I thought, oh, no, he's a he's extreme handsome man. Yeah, he's something else, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Got double ten's in that family?
Speaker 4: Well he No, he's a he's a one hundred. Anyway, I thought I did enough time.
Speaker 2: Should I go home?
Speaker 4: A out of time and it'll be late? Oh my gosh. Oh well, and look how it worked.
Speaker 3: That's a better story though, don't you think seven years?
Speaker 1: And our seven year anniversary is next a week from today?
Speaker 4: Oh wow, yeah, next Monday. Okay, congratulations, Enough about me. No, I think people want to know about you.
Speaker 2: Their sister going to stop in the middle of heavy news on TV to break down your life.
Speaker 1: No, this is so different than you only it's so different than my nighttime job.
Speaker 3: But it's funny.
Speaker 2: You only do that when you become the news, like someone chasing you.
Speaker 4: Which you never want to become the news.
Speaker 3: Hey, yeah, put that on all right.
Speaker 2: Something that's been in the news quite a bit is AI artificial intelligence. As an artist myself and somebody grew up in an arts family, there is a lot of conversation going on when it comes to art, intellectual property, all these things that the mighty machine is going to suck up and regurgitate out. But I'm a believer that technology comes, you can't stop it, and you and you better learn.
Speaker 3: How to use it. Yeah, so you just have to.
Speaker 2: And this story is an interesting one out of the La Times talking about a cinematographer who's working on the second season of Star Trek Strange New Worlds, and his name is Benji.
Speaker 4: Bakshi, So Bakshi b A K S.
Speaker 3: But he this.
Speaker 2: Cool question and I love that these are the things you have to think about when you're working in the art world or working in film television, And like, how would natural light interact with the snowy landscape of a fictional planet under a magenta skuy So this is something where he had to go to artificial intelligence and use to see renderings by prompts. If you're not familiar when you're working with AI, it doesn't do anything on its own. You prompt it, and through prompting it, you're motivating it to give you back a response that it is calculating based on all the information that it has.
Speaker 1: And you can also, in that prompt give it a feeling. Yes, you like an emotion, yeah right, a stime of day's funny.
Speaker 4: I want it humorous, I want it sad. Yeah, everything right.
Speaker 2: So it has been said that AI won't talk take your job, but if you don't learn AI, your job may go away because it plays a part.
Speaker 3: I use it for things.
Speaker 2: I've used it to check notes, I've used it to create images, to set me I was an illustrator for years and a designer for years. I can do everything on my own, but I will tell you that I also used to set type by hand, and then you used to have to go out to a type setter.
Speaker 3: It was really crazy.
Speaker 2: So I would have to lay something out and I'd go to the type setter and I'd say, I want this font, and I want this currenting, and I want this letting, and I'd give them direction. They would print it on what looks like a photo paper. I would then cut it. I would put wax on the back of it and then i'd put it on blue line, a blue grid paper, and I'd lay it out that way.
Speaker 4: That's quite the process.
Speaker 2: Now, I came to computers, Macintosh at the time. Came and trained me on computers when I was a young artist, and I came in kicking and screaming. You're talking about the late eighties or so, and I came kicking and scream going, this is ridiculous. It's a glorified typesetter. Basically, I'm setting my own type now, that's it. And then I learned everything. I mean, I was trained in dark rooms and learning how to do photo prints and plates for printing and all these things. And I'm going, wait a second, this is eventually going to be able to do this and this and color separations that I used to have to do optically.
Speaker 4: We started to see the possibilities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I came kicking and screaming, and I never left. I still have all the original tools to be able to do layout completely old school, just because I like having them. So I get it. But everything is a tool. It can be misused, it could be used. And I even trained it on my voice one time to see how it would do my inflection.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, and I put it go.
Speaker 3: Scary.
Speaker 4: I did a commercial with it. I mean it never aired.
Speaker 2: I did, but I'm like, I wonder if it would give the inflections properly.
Speaker 4: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised, because I mean, there's so many AI generated images and videos that we see online all the time, and I just don't think about that element. I don't think about this could be and likely is an AI generated voice, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: And it can translate.
Speaker 2: My goal was to take some of the old Jesus shows and have them translate into different languages, but using the voice of the host of the Jesus Show, and to see how that would work. But it's that this use, to me is the way creative people.
Speaker 3: Should use it.
Speaker 4: To embrace it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fact that it's going to take away things, well, you know what, so did word and so did all these you know Canva. Canva is a great app but it is doing things in the blink of an eye and the push of a button that people used to pay me to do well.
Speaker 1: And to that point, the film industry is dealing with this too, where you.
Speaker 4: Can literally.
Speaker 1: Prompt AI to create a sitcom and it will give you a first draft that's not award winning but something. And so that could do away with a young writer, up and coming writer who's trying to get into the business, because why do we need that anymore?
Speaker 4: Sadly sad to say, but.
Speaker 2: Even with writing they have You know, Carrie Fisher, a lot of people don't know this about her. What an amazing of course she is, Princess Leah.
Speaker 4: Brilliantly it was many times for Halloween.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get you remind me of her, you've got her. Let your face works very much.
Speaker 2: Yes, but the Carrie Fisher is a brilliant writer and she was used a lot uncredited, I think, to punch up scripts.
Speaker 4: Oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: And there's people that get paid for that.
Speaker 2: They bring up more, they make them more funny, they make them darker, they do things, you know, and tools or tools are tools. Very rarely does one person pull off everything. That's why it takes an entire crew to make Tom Cruise look like he's some superman, you know, like he can jump from.
Speaker 3: Well I guess he can.
Speaker 2: He can't think he can, but you know, to make be able to do all those things right, And so I refuse to hate on Ai. I get why people are upset about it. But my first thing is I want to learn how to prompt and that's what I spend my time.
Speaker 1: Well, it's here to stay, whether you like it or not, and so to embrace it is what make your life a lot easier.
Speaker 3: No Dynamo.
Speaker 1: Yes, and and sixty two thousand entertainment jobs in this state will be disrupted by AI in the next three years.
Speaker 2: All of our jobs will. It is already in our jobs more than we think. It's been in the the world for longer. It just hasn't come to this. And I say it on the fork Port all the time. It is going to permeate the fast food industry first and then go on to others.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm just going to say this, and I know our listeners agree.
Speaker 4: There's only one you.
Speaker 1: There's only one Neil Savager behind the KIF I am six forty MIC.
Speaker 2: It is the Fork Report with me, your host, Neil Savage, Sava Dedra.
Speaker 4: Don't you love that?
Speaker 1: With it?
Speaker 2: Like Robin Bertolucci when it's like you're receiving a call from Marble, I'm like, what is that?
Speaker 4: All right? Uh?
Speaker 2: Neil Savangra in with Marla teas today. Happy Labor Day to you. An hour to go. We've got some what's Happening coming up mixtape Monday, and.
Speaker 3: Some other things to go nowhere.
Speaker 2: This is uh KFI heard everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap