Speaker 1: Pain is a warning light that something is wrong. Okay, that's what pain is. Pain is a warning light that something is wrong in your life, in the economy, in your family, in your business, whatever.
Speaker 2: Pain is always a warning light.
Speaker 1: Now, let me ask you, if a warning light goes off in your car and you ignore that warning light, does that make the problem go away? Of course, not ignoring pain will not make it go away. It won't fix the cause of your pain. And to ignore pain in your life is literally one of the dumbest things you can do. Pain is a warning light that something's wrong. There is purpose in pain. Now, today, I want to show you five ways that God can use any pain in your life for your own good, regardless of the source. Now, did you hear what I just said? Regardless of the source, regardless of whether your pain came to you from something good or something bad, whether you brought the pain on yourself from poor choices or other people cause pain in your life and you're innocent, or Satan's trying to attack you with pain and tear you down. You know, we're always worried about the source. No matter what the source of your pain is, God can use it for good in your life We're gonna look at right now. Five ways that God can use pain for good in my life. Here's what God's word says. Five ways God can use pain for good in my life. Number one, God uses pain to guide and direct me. Proverb sixteen to nine says this. A person may plan his own journey, but the Lord directs is steps.
Speaker 2: The Lord direct circle.
Speaker 1: That word directs so much the time we're not aware of this, But behind the scenes, God is using even our choices, both the good ones and the bad ones, to direct our steps. God is directing your life. Job thirty six point fifteen says this. God teaches people through suffering and uses distress to open their eyes. Does that ever happened to you? Oh, of course it has. God teaches people through suffering, uses distress to open their eyes. He guides and directs us through pain. You ever thought about why horse riders put a bit in a horse's mouth?
Speaker 2: Is it for the horse's comfort? Of course not.
Speaker 1: The rider actually uses discomfort to point the horse in a different direction. It's the rudder like on a ship, like a tiny rudder on a boat. Sometimes it only takes a little bit of pain to guide and direct us.
Speaker 2: Or to read diirect this.
Speaker 1: Paul had this to say, the believers of Corinth who we're experiencing some discomfort and pain. Two Corinthians seventy nine. He said, now I'm glad, not because it hurts you. He's talking about some pain they were going through. Paul says, I'm glad. I'm not glad because it hurts you, but I'm glad because the pain turns you to God. That's the first thing pain does. Guides and directs us. It often turns us in a new direction. You know, when King David realized that God was using the pain in his life that he was experience to guide in directive, David was actually grateful for his pain, and in Psia one nineteen, verse seventy one, he says this, You know, it was the best thing that could have happened to me, for it taught me to pay attention to your laws. It is good for me to be afflicted, David says, so that I might learn your laws, I might learn your statutes. Let me ask you a personal question. Has God ever used pain to get your attention?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Has God ever used pain to me to guide you? To guide you in a new direction? To direct you in a new direction.
Speaker 2: Yes. C. S.
Speaker 1: Lewis once said, God whispers to us in our pleasure, but he shouts to us in our pain. Pain is God's megaphone, and it directs you, It guides you. Pain never leaves you where it found you. So that's the firs benefit of pain that God can use it for good. Don't matter how bad the pain is or where it came from. God can use pain to guide and direct me. Second, God can use pain not only to guide and direct me. He can use pain to God and correct me, goad and correct me.
Speaker 2: Now what does that mean? What does God mean? What means to motivate?
Speaker 1: When somebody goads you on, it means they're spurring you onto action. Pain is a catalyst. Pain catalyzes in action like nothing else. One of the most obvious verses in the Bible is Proverbs twenty thirty that says this, sometimes it takes a painful experience to make us change our ways. Hello, anybody want to give a testimony on that? Every one of you could think of a personal example right now in your own life where you can give a testimony of the truth of this verse that sometimes it takes a painful situation to make exchange our ways. Pain prompts us to do things we'd rather put off. It prods us, It pushes us. It goads us, It goads and it motivates. It not just guides and directs. It goads us and pushes us in the right direction.
Speaker 2: You know. Typically we don't change when we see the light.
Speaker 1: We think we do. We don't change when you see the light. We change when we feel the heat. I mean, let's just get real honest here. When was the last time you decided to go to the dentist? When did you finally go to your dentist? Was it when you had free time?
Speaker 2: No? Is, when you were in pain and.
Speaker 1: The pain finally got so bad you couldn't no longer delay or postpone or procrastinate to do something about it. Sometimes it takes a painful situation to make us change our ways. Now, pain not only guides and directs, it gods and corrects. Do you know the difference between correction and punishment? If you're a parent, I want you to listen to this, particularly the difference between punishment and correction. You shouldn't punish your kids. The Bible as you should correct them. Why punishment is a penalty for the past. Correction is training for the future. It's discipline is not punishment. Discipline is training. Discipline is correction. Sometimes in life, something bad happens, we think God is punishing us, and actually God is just correcting us. Why because God doesn't punish his children. Yeah, you heard me right. God doesn't punish his children. Why because Jesus has already taken all of the punishment for every sin on the cross. And if Jesus took all that punishment and then God punished you, that's double jeopardy. Every sin you ever commit has already been paid for. So God doesn't punish you for your sins, but he definitely does correct you. And correction is the evidence of love. And how does God correct us? Sometimes through pain? Hebrews twelve eight to ten says this, God corrects all of his children, and if he doesn't correct you, then.
Speaker 2: You don't really belong to him. See that verse.
Speaker 1: Look at that version in your outline. If you don't ever have any correction in your life, then you're not really a believer. Because God corrects his own children. God doesn't correct those who aren't his children. I don't worry about other people's kids, but I certainly corrected mine. The Bible says there God corrects us for our own good because he wants us to be holy as he is. Another verse that says the same thing as Job Chapter five, verse seventeen. Consider yourself fortunate when God, all powerful, chooses to correct you, just means that he loves you. So God uses pain to go and motivate and correct me when I'm messing up.
Speaker 2: You remember the.
Speaker 1: Story in the Bible that Jesus told about the arrogant young son who asked for inheritance and advanced it before his father had even died, took his money and went and spent it everywhere, wasted on wine, women and song, and he goes down to Sunset Strip in Jerusalem and just blows everything he's gotten. Pretty soon he's bankrupt and he's having to feed pigs to to make a living. And that's pretty bad if you're jew. And the Bible says that he was in a mess. But what was it that motivated that young man in that story of Jesus to finally go back home to his father. It was pain, It was discomfort. Luke Chapter fifteen, verse fourteen to eighteen. The story of the Prodigal Sign. It says he spent everything he had and then he was hungry. Now you know he is being motivated. He's being goaded.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: At last he came to his senses and said, I'll go I'll get up and I'll go to my father. He came to his sentences. Why did he come to a sentence? Why did he come to his senses because he was motivated? And why was he motivated because he was hungry? Who are the most motivated salesman? Hungry salesman made me think of when Josh was a little kid. One time he skipped lunch at school and he came in complaining to He said, my stomach aches, and Kay said, well.
Speaker 2: It's because there's nothing in it.
Speaker 1: About five minutes later, I walked in and I said my headaches and Josh said, Mom says, because there's nothing in it. If you want your life to go smoother, all right, you want your life to go smoother, just start cooperating. When God brings any kind of correction into your life. He's not punishing you. God isn't mad at you.
Speaker 2: He loves you.
Speaker 1: He's mad about you, and Hebrews twelve, verse seven says, says, let God train you, for he's doing what any loving father does for his children. Whoever heard of a child who was never corrected? Circle the word train and circle the word corrected. They go together. That's the second purpose of pain, to correct us, to train us, to go to us and correct us. Now, how many of you who are parents would rather not have to discipline? Well, all of us, but how many of you? Sometimes I have to discipline your kids anyway, all of us. God's the same way. He'd rather not correct you. He'd rather not have to discipline you. He'd rather not have to allow pain in your life. But sometimes the only way to train is through pain. To you here that sometimes the only way to train is through pain. Aristotle once said we cannot learn without pain. And I would say that some things you learned you learned by being burned. Let me give you personal testimony. In all my years of walking with the Lord, I can tell you this, I have learned absolutely nothing from pleasure. All the important stuff I've learned in life I learned through pain. I learned nothing through pleasure. I learned nothing from success. Everything I learned I learned through pain. The man who's never suffered, the woman who's never suffered, they don't know much because the greatest insights on life are found at the center of pain. You learn things there that you can't learn any other way. But when that happens, never doubt God's motive. He is a loving father. He is not punishing you. He is correcting you because he loves you. So let's review why how can God use things for good, even the pain in my life for good? Well, he uses it to guide and direct me. Second, he uses it to God and correct me. Number three, God uses pain to gauge and inspect me. God uses pain to gauge and inspect me, in other words, to find out what's really inside of me, to test my character. People are like tea bags. You don't know what's really in him to you drop them in hot water. In Job chapter seven, verse eighteen, it says you God inspect them every morning, and you test them every minute. Did you know that God's inspecting you every morning and every minute? Another verse Jeremiah seventeen ten, The Lord searches our hearts. That's inspection, and he examines our deepest motivations, which we don't even know ourselves.
Speaker 2: Why does he do that?
Speaker 1: So He can give to each person his right reward according to his deeds, how he has lived, So how does God inspect us and test us?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Look at the next verse on your outline, Isaiah forty eight, verse ten. I have tested you in the furnace of affliction. God uses pain to test your character. God uses pain to test your commitment. God uses pain to test your faith. The Bible often compares suffering to a refining fire, like when you heat up gold to burn off all the impurity.
Speaker 2: So it's just pure gold.
Speaker 1: Heat burns off the impurities and silver and other gold and precious metals. So let me just ask you right now, if you're going through pain of any kind, are you allowing that pain to burn off the impurities in your life? What are you allowing pain to burn off? Self centeredness, pride, materialism, impatience. Pain is a measuring tool. It's an evaluation tool. It tests our character, and your reaction to pain does reveal a lot about you. Look at this verse, James, Chapter one, verse two and three. It says God tests and challenges. Now, it says tests and challenges come at you from all sides. And we know that you get tests and challenges from all sides. And you know that under pressure, your faith is forced into the open to show its true colors.
Speaker 2: Don't you love that?
Speaker 1: In the message paraphrase, he's saying, pain is a test. It exposes the real view for you. It shows what you really like inside. You know, image and reputation, that's what everybody thinks you are. Character is what you really are. Character's what you are in the dark. It's hard to maintain an image when you're in pain. Or Shakespeare said nobody can be a philosopher with a toothache. So has God ever tested your character with pain?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah? Oh yeah?
Speaker 1: And so God wants to test you and when it's painful when you say, well, I have integrity, but are you willing to lower your stand when it's painful? You might say I am committed, But do you want to throw in the towel when it's painful? You say I'm a woman or I'm a man of faith, But do you want to give up and get discouraged when pain comes into your life? Your faith is measured by your reaction to pain. Your commitment is measured by your reaction to pain. Your integrity is measured by your reaction to pain. Your christ likeness is determined and shown revealed by how you handle pain. Your maturity shows how your pain shows how mature you are. What does pressure reveal about your faith? Are you more than just a fair weather believer?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: This is the reason, by the way that it took them forty years in the desert to get from Egypt to Israel, the Promised Land, once they had been freed from four hundred years of slavery. You know that story that you could walk from Egypt over to Israel in about a month or less, and it took them forty years. What in the world they're doing out there in the desert being tested? And God gave them seven major tests, and every time they failed to test, he says, okay, one more lap around the desert. Deuteronomy eight two. God says to the Israelites. God led you through the wilderness for forty years, humbling you and testing you to find out how you would respond and whether or not you would really obey him. These are the tests. And I'm saying, are you going through pain right now? This is a test. Are you going through an emotional wilderness. Right now, this is a test. God may be guiding and guiding you, or God may be goading you, or God may be gauging you. He may be seeking to inspect you and find out what's really on the inside. Maybe though, your pain that you're going through right now is for a fourth reason. Number four, God uses pain to God and to guide and to guard gauge. But number four God uses pain to guard and protect me. God uses pain to guard and protect me. And this is a wonderful thing that we don't often realize.
Speaker 2: Ninety one.
Speaker 1: Verse three says this God will save you from hidden traps. And he said, what traps, Well, that's why you don't see him.
Speaker 2: They're hidden.
Speaker 1: But all around you are hidden traps that Satan has planted, and the world is planted, and the flesh is planted, and those traps are there. Sometimes God uses you, uses pain to keep you from walking into a hidden trap. He uses pain to protect you, to guard you and protect you Joe thirty six, Verse sixteen, God has led you away from danger, giving you freedom. Sometimes a pain in one area keeps you from having even worse pain in another area, where if you'd walked.
Speaker 2: Into that it would have been a disaster.
Speaker 1: Sometimes protects pain protects you from something worse, It prevents you from greater harm. Sometimes pain is actually a blessing in disguise. For instance, you get a fever. A fever warns you of an infection or an inflammation that needs to be dealt with. Sometimes a small pain in your life can alert you to life threatening the illnesses. And when you're pain in pain emotionally, you're sad, you're discouraged, you're depressed, you're angry, you're upset, you're irritated, you're frustrated. Any kind of emotional pain, painful emotions means something is out of order in your relationship to God, or your relationship to others, or your relationship to yourself. And so sometimes God will allow pain to keep you from falling off in the ditch. You know, the Bible says the Lord is my shepherd. Shepherd's in the Middle East. Well, sometimes if they've got a sheep that has a tendency to wander off, and if it wanders off from the flock, it's going to get eaten by a wolf pretty quickly, And so sometimes a shepherd will intend inntionally break the leg of a lamb that is prone to wander, Why keep it from getting in trouble. They're guarding that lamb. They broke the leg to guard the lamb. They did it for protection. They did it for protection. Do you remember the story of Joseph, How everything in his life for the first forty years, everything went wrong. He was painfully mistreated for years. He was he went through all kinds of injustice. He had racism, he had a family conflict, he had all he had people accusing him of rape, and all kinds of things that just were He was thrown in prison for no reason, and he was painfully mistreated for year after year after year. But God was guarding and guiding and growing him and getting him ready for greatness. And looking back later in Genesis fifty twenty, Joseph says, this about all all the pain that had happened in the first forty years of his life. You talking to the people who had brought on the pain, the people who sold them in slavery. You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good. Now let me tell you this, friends, there are people in your life who want to harm you. They don't like you. They don't like you because you're a Christian, or they just don't like you. Whatever, they intend to harm you. But God intends it for good. And I will tell you that in justice. In Joseph's life, there is no greatness without pain.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Later Joseph had two sons, and one he named Manassa and one he named Ephraim. Manasa means made me forget. He said, when that little boy was born, it made me forget all my pain. And then he had Ephraim, who he said, he is fruitful, and he forgot all the pain when.
Speaker 2: He looked at those little babies. Here's the problem.
Speaker 1: We can't see what God sees because God can see the whole picture, and we don't see it, so we get impatient. But I want to encourage you to remember this verse John thirteen, verse seven, where Jesus says this, you don't realize now what I'm doing, but later you'll understand what an encouraging verse John thirteen seven. You don't realize now what I'm doing, but later you understand. Many times I have been through pain, and I not say that. God was saying to me, Rick, you don't understand now why you're going through this, but you will one day. I want you to remember that God uses pain to guide and direct, to guide and direct me, to go and correct me, to gauge and inspect me, and to guard and protect me. But there's one more way. God uses pain to grow and perfect me. I'd use this pain to grow and perfect me. It's possible to grow during times of bright fair weather, but you know what, you put down the roots and you go deeper during the dark days of life. I could read you one hundred, maybe one thousand letters where people would say your pastor, I have grown more through this separation than whatever. I have grown more through this illness. I have grown more through losing my job and being unemployed. I have grown more through this tragedy than I ever imagined. I have grown more through this loss. I have grown more through this storm because God uses it to grow and perfect me. James, Chapter one, verse four. For when the way is rough, your patience has a chance to grow. So let it grow and don't try to scorn them out of all your problems. Then you'll be ready for anything, strong in character, full and complete. My prayer for you is that you will be ready for anything strong in character, full, and complete. Pain is the high cost of growth. And it's cliche, but it's true. There is no gain without pain.
Speaker 2: You see.
Speaker 1: The fact is we want the quick solution, We want the easy fix. We want the pill of the seminar of the book that's going to change everything. Without pain, it isn't going to happen. We want the product that's maturity without the process, which is pain. You see, the very thing that's discouraging you right now is the very thing that God is using to develop you.
Speaker 2: Right now. What discourages you will develop you if.
Speaker 1: You'll look at it from God's point of view again, James, Chapter one, verse four, from the Message, So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well developed.
Speaker 2: I don't know what pain you're going.
Speaker 1: Through, but I will tell you this, if you'll lean on the Lord, you'll make it. How was David able to write such beautiful, powerful moving psalms.
Speaker 2: Well through all the pain he went through.
Speaker 1: If you look at David's life, it wasn't anything but happy most of the time. I mean, you look at his family background. He's lonely, he's rejected by his brothers, he's neglected, and yet most of the time, even after he's anointed king, he's on the run and the existing king is trying to kill him, and he's hiding out in caves. David wrote his most beautiful words in his deepest pain. I come back to this verse one Corinthians, Chapter one, verse nine, where Paul says this happened when all talked about. He gives a long list of all things he had gone through. You know, he said, I've been shipwrecked, I've been beaten, I've been tortured, I've been in jail. You know, I've died and had you know, nearly died three or four times. And he said, this happened. All these tough things. He said, we despaired it, even life itself. In other words, I was ready to give up. He said, this happened so that we might learn to trust not in ourselves, but in God. Friends, you don't know Jesus is all you need. Until Jesus is all you've got, where are you wasting your pain? Pain is inevitable. Pain is not optional. Pain is a part of life. Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional. And question I want to ask you is the question Paul asks in Galatians three, verse four, Has all your painful experience brought you nowhere? You notice that when people go through tragedy and disaster and pain, some people turn to God, and some people turn away from God.
Speaker 2: Why that happens, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It doesn't seem to me to make sense to turn away from God when he's offering you the comfort and the power you need to make it through the time. My plea to you today, friends, is to give your hurt and give your heart.
Speaker 2: To Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: You know, Jesus didn't come to explain away your pain. He came to share it. And he says, come to me, you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. He enters into our pain. He is a God who suffers with us, and he's here to walk with you through whatever pain it is. It may be physical, you may have a chronic illness. It may be emotional. You may have a handicap of some kind that bothers you. First Peter chapter four nineteen says this, if you're suffering according to God's will, keep on.
Speaker 2: Let me stop right there.
Speaker 1: Notice that verse. If you're suffering according to God's will. There are some Christians who think it's never God's will for you to suffer, that you should never have any pain, and if you don't have any pain in your life, it means you don't have enough faith. They are not telling you the truth. They're lying because the Bible says the exact opposite. First Peter four nineteen says, sometimes suffering is the will of God. It's not like you've sinned. No, that's what Job's friend said.
Speaker 2: Job.
Speaker 1: The reason you're in suffering is because you sin. God said, no, he hadn't sinn. He was the most righteous man on earth feet Peter four nineteen. If you're suffering according to God's will, sometimes you're going to suffer. Sometimes you're going to have a pain, and it's God's will. Keep on doing what is right and trust yourself to the God who made you or he will never fail you. He'll never fail you. Now let me close with a little self evaluation. Okay, I want you to just think about what's hurting you. Think of the pain in your life right now. That shouldn't take you very long. You need to say this, Father, say this to God. Father, are you using this pain to guide me? In a new direction. Are you using this pain to goad me and spur me into action. Are you using this pain to gauge me to show me what I need to work on? Are you using this pain to guard me, to guard me from something more harmful? Are you using this pain to grow me and make me more like you? Are you using it to inspect me, to correct me, to direct me to perfect me. I close again with First Corinthians one nine. This happened so that we might learn to trust not in ourselves, but in God. I want to challenge you to let whatever pain you're going through right now guide you into the caring arms of Jesus Christ. Would you bow your head with me right now and let me lead you in a prayer. If you've never opened your life to Jesus Christ, are you're never sure that you've settled this issue of am I in the family of God? I want you to pray this prayer. Say say this aloud in your heart, in your mind. God knows what you're saying. Say God, you know the pain I'm going through right now. You know the pain, and today I realize that others may mean it for bad, but you mean it for good. In my life, to direct me and correct me, to perfect me, and inspect me, to protect me from something worse. God, thank you for being such a loving God. Thank you for loving me. Thank you that you care about my pain. That you're not an unsympathetic, un empathetic God. That Jesus you died on the cross and carried the pain of my sin, so I don't have to carry that punishment. Then, just say, Jesus Christ, as much as I know how, I open my life completely to you, and I give you every area of my life, the good, the bad, the ugly, the painful, the shameful, and I give it all to you. And I ask you to put a new heart in me, a new spirit, a new joy, a new purpose, a new passion, a new happiness. I want to be connected to you, Jesus Christ, for the rest of my life. I want to learn to love you and trust you. And when I go through problems, and when I go through pain that makes no sense, help me to remember that you said you don't understand it now, but you will later what I'm doing. Help me to trust you. And I commit every area of my life to you, Jesus Christ. Now I ask you to save me in Jesus' name, Amen,