Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Oh, guess what day it is.
Speaker 3: Guess what day it is?
Speaker 2: Huh anybody, It's hump Day.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is hump Day. Welcome to the Big Blue Insider Dicabriel with you. Wednesday edition of our program. Coming up tonight, John Clay of the Herold Leader. He will talk about, among other things, the fact that Sovereignty will not run in the Preakness. That word came out of late yesterday Bill Mott, the trainer who had basically planted that seed of doubt on national television after the Kentucky Derby win, deciding along with the rest of the connections of the horse, that the colt will not run for the second jewel of racing's Triple crowns. So that has touched off a lot of debate among fans who like horse racing and cover the race as well out immediate people. And we'll touch on that in just a moment. So John, we'll talk about that, as well as Mark Pope's work through the Portal and Mark Stoop's work through the Portal as well. There is news on that a little bit later on. Of course, we'll have Sean Woods, our unforgettable guard. He joins us each and every Wednesday, and Gary Moore, our West End bureau chief, will check in as well. The news from the portal for Kentucky as basically, the subheadline is depth. Because the Wildcats needed help at wide receiver, they got it and this guy ended up being more than just depth. He manned up being someone who makes an impact on this team. And as far as O line is concerned, the Wildcats need more numbers there and they have signed a kid out of the portal who will provide, like I said, more depth for the Wildcats. We'll start with the wide receiver though. He's a guy who played both at SMU. He was there last year and Oregon. Ashton Cozart chose Oregon over Alabama, Florida, I'm sorry Florida State, Michigan, Oklahoma, and Texas. And he also is pretty quick in one hundred he clocked a ten point seventy four and was a broad jumper as well, So a terrific athlete coming out, and things of course didn't go the way he had hoped at Oregon, so he transfers to SMU. He did not play in his first and only season in Eugene, so he transfers to SMU. Played in four games at one catch for twenty four yards. But this is a team Kentucky that needs people at wide out, so he's got a chance to compete with guys like Kendrick Law and JJ Hester and Harley Gilmore. So yeah, we'll see how this guy makes out. You know, he's got the speed, but evidently he just lacks some skills right now to be a frontline wide receiver. And you gotta have skills, of course to play in the SEC. And you could say the same thing about a young man named Rob Foegler six seven, three oh four at a ball State. Did not play in either one of his two seasons with the Cardinals, so he'll have three years left at Kentucky. He's from Cincinnati Cincinnati sant X and coming out of high school, got offers from Pittsburgh, Indiana, Georgia Tech, but as we said, did not get any run at ball State. No idea what he's getting to play if it's a full ride or whatever at Kentucky. But the bottom line is if they want to get this unit back to where the big Blue Wall was back in the day, back in the glory days, they need depth. They need to be able to rotate people in and out, and they have built quite a bit right now through the portal with kids from Arkansas, Bowling Green, Western Kentucky and the actually Go state. They got kids coming back. But they got to replace the likes of Marcus Cox and Eli Cox, Gerald Mincey. So it's a project, there's no question about that. And they got to get busy. So we'll find out more about them when the season begins. We won't know much during the summer what they call camp when they actually used to camp, not literally, not with tents and sleeping bags, but two days and things like that. They have kind of you hear JEFFI Corel talk about it, they have really gone soft on these players. I don't know that I buy that, But when you hear old timers like Jeff and others back when we were there, you know, two and three days and things like that, sometimes four days. But it's it's a different time, no question about that. Well, look at the portal. But now you've got to hope that all of these guys are hanging out together, working out together, lifting, building all that, because that was the strength of the big Blue Wall. And one of the guys who was here for Sadly, the last season that the Wildcats had John Salarman was Eli Cox and the UK football program right now has some features on its social media platforms where players who are moving on, including Cox, and they did one with Zion Childress as well, talk about what they got out of playing for Kentucky and essentially why they came here and why they believe it could be if you're a recruit, could be the place for you. Here's Eli Cox.
Speaker 5: For me, in Kentucky was the obvious choice. I grew up ten miles away from the stadium. My parents had season tickets from me when we were kids, and this is a dream come true to be able to play here, and it was even better to actually have a solid career and hopefully have a chance of the NFL. I've known coach Soups for a long time now, and you know he's a players coach, and anything that the guys need here or anything that he thinks would help us, even the slide, He's going to make sure that we get and I think he's always listening to the players and is always ready to listen to feedback, be it good or bad, of how he can do his job better and to serve the players. So I think it was really unique to be able to play at a school that has, you know, a nickname and tradition for offensive line play. You know, it's not an often glorified position, but you know, being a part of a big blue wall meant a lot to me. And you know, when I first showed up with Coach Larmon and Drake Jackson, Logan Stenberg, Mason Wolf, Luke Fortner or Austin Dotson, I could go land and Young and just go on and on down the line of the guys that set a standard of elite offensive line play by the way they played, I mean the way they the relationships that they had with each other, and how tight knit those groups were and how well they played together, and the way coach Larmon coached and built his room with something that was really special. And I think that's a tradition that we're going to get back to here soon. I think if you want to talk about just the plays that truly has even in this poor and aile world, like a family atmosphere, like the relationships that you build, and just the fan buy in being in Lexington, that it's one of the best places play college football. You're in the SEC and you're at a school that will do everything can to make sure that you reach your maximum value potential as a player in.
Speaker 4: The person that is from the Twitter account or the X account, if you will, of the UK football program itself. And if you wonder about you know, why are they releasing these now? Because most of the recruiting, if not all is over, well it's never over, as you well know. And you don't start moving these things in front of prospective recruits before their senior years. You do it now. These are directed at really any kid who might even be thinking about Kentucky freshman, sophomore, junior as well as senior. And we all know this that recruiting is an ongoing process. But in terms of impact, I remember when we went to cover gosh was that eighteen years ago? The Music City Bowl, the first one under Rich Brooks. It was the first media avail the week prior to the game, the week of the game actually, and we all show up in Nashville on Monday, and I remember we talked to Joker Phillips about this and Rich Brooks and we probably talked about it before they even left for Nashville. But they reiterated the fact that this would help recruiting, but not immediately because at that point we're talking about the final week of December. At that point, recruits had made up their respective minds, So you've got to get in front of it at that point, juniors and some sophomores and plant that seed. So that's what they're doing right now and looks it's a bombardment. It's twenty four to seven three sixty five, not just for Kentucky but for any school interested in using social media for recruiting. And if you're not doing that, just get out of the business because that's how you reach recruits now obviously, So check it out to the UK football site on Twitter, it may be on other platforms. That's why I saw it, and just gets called Kentucky Football basically, and of course there's always the UK Sports Video people do a terrific job. Oh and speaking of recruiting, there was a tweet earlier today from a young man who goes by Big Blue Flave of Flave, and he shared a clip from a podcast, I think it's called The Underdog Podcast. A couple of guys talking about UK's facilities as they relate to guys in a portal here.
Speaker 6: It is everybody but Kentucky out in the country. By the way, facility check every other university. Kentucky's facilities looks special on these videos, and I don't see enough of the other portal commits doing like tours of the facility, like on social media and stuff. And I think that's for a reason, because they're watching, like jeal and Low in the possing like videos and pictures of the Kentucky facilities, and they're like, we don't want to, we don't want to post docs them. Kentucky facilities look insane.
Speaker 4: And within that tweet, he wrote, you know, everybody said our program died when it went to Fadville, and I retweeted as seeing who I never heard that at all. I heard some people concerned or read some comments from people concerned about recruits who went with Caliperi, and I know some people were concerned that Calipari might come back and beat Kentucky and what might happen, and and sure enough it happened, and you know what, the program stayed in business. Nobody said the program died. If you, if anybody did, please direct me to that in hindsight, so uh and again, these are the facilities Caliperi believed needed to be upgraded, to the point where he was so angry about it about not getting what he wanted. I don't know if this is why he left, but it was just another thing that got him sideways with Mitch Barnhardt. Now I know there are some facilities out there that are pretty damn good. Kentucky's not too bad when you factor in rupp Arena, not too shabby. Coming up in a couple of minutes, we'll talk with John clay At, a Herold leader. After the break, we'll talk about the Preakness and more. A lot of weirdness going on in the NBA involving some former Wildcats. Later on. Sean Woods and West End Bureau chief Gary Moore here on six thirty WLAP Welcome back to the Big Moon Sider. Coming up in just a few minutes, John clay At, a HEROD leader who wrote this morning in this morning's paper about the fact that Sovereignty will not run in the Preakness. Bill Mott and the handlers the connections from Godolphin Racing have decided that two weeks just aren't enough rest for a three year old coming out of Kentucky Derby, and truth be told, they're probably right, although it's been done more than one occasion, as we all know. But it has just ignited another controversial period in racing where people, first of all, think that it's wrong to not run the horse, and that it's a weak excuse and all that. You know, it's the kind of thing where I used to fall right in line with that because horses have done it for years and years, but so much has changed in the industry and I think it's time to change. I said this last year as well, that if you really care about the well being of the horse, you'll change the Triple Crown. You'll change the calendar. And I know you do away with a lot of tradition, but go back through their history books and you'll see that this wasn't always the calendar for the Triple Crown races. You know, two weeks to the Preakness, three more to the Belmont. Back in the day. They spaced them out quite a bit and it ultimately fell into this path and then it was named at some point the Triple Crown, and it became a great thing for sports and for racing, then we had that long lull where we didn't have a triple Crown winner for nearly forty years. We should have. There were horses that should have won it and either got bad rides or bad breaks or whatever, or had to scratch out of one of the races. But the bottom line is the breed has changed. Now with all these purses that are so great for the owners, breeders, riders, everybody involved, you got better fields at better times. But what that means is they really started breeding more for speed than for stamina. And yeah, they can do that. And it's taken a while for breeding practices and successes to catch up with the sport, but it has happened, and now you don't see the stamp and horses that you used to. You know, there's a reason there used to be a race called the Derby Trial Saturday a week before the Kentucky Derby because a lot of horses raced in that race to see if they were ready for the Kentucky Derby a week later. Never happens now. If there's a race after the Bluegrass Stakes at Lexington, like at Keenland, like the Election in Stakes or whatever, people wonder is that race too close to the Kentucky Derby, you know, is the horse going to be too tired? Well, Charismatic jumped up and won the Derby after running in a race after the Bluegrass Stakes, but you don't see that much anymore. The stamina is not there. So if you care about the horse and you care about the Triple Crown, you got to change it. And I know you got to make the folks in Baltimore understand that, and the folks in New York at Belmont Park understand that. So we'll talk to John Clay about that coming up. Some of the other things you'll see on Twitter these days the baseball Wildcats fighting for their lives again. They are, according to D one Baseball Projections, one of the last four in as we speak. Two weeks ago, Kentucky was solidly in a three seed, maybe a two. Now, it says here the Wildcats will be lucky to get in if they can keep winning. They got a series coming up this weekend with Oklahoma. After that they've got to go to Vandy. But according to D one Baseball, these are the last four in Kentucky, Kansas State, the Purple Wildcats, Iowa, and Xavier. Quite the coincidence, Xavier came to town a few weeks ago and beat Kentucky. That might be the win that puts Xavier in the tournament. A win back on March twenty fifth, And if you go back and look at that game, it was scoreless until Xavier scored six runs over the next three innings and the Wildcats put up two but then gave up three and the ninth it was just a mess. Nate Harris pitched, he was not sharp, gave up six hits, five earned runs, and after that and by the way, the bullpen took over and other than one player did really well. Simon Gergerson Gregorson Rauter had a bad night, but since then he and Harris have been Razors sharp in almost every outing. Harris struggled against Tennessee, otherwise he's been excellent. So the baseball Wildcats with a big challenge this week. They've got to win the series and if they can somehow sweep it, that would be huge. Another nugget from Corey Price. As always, this year UK and U of L will play on November eleventh. That's the earliest that game has ever been played. It has been played in the month of November just a couple of times, but around Thanksgiving, so that kind of made it okay in my opinion, on the twenty sixth and eighty three and on the twenty seventh of November in ninety three. And so there's been some fallout obviously, and how just how terrible that is, and it's terrible for the game and all that. Well, they both teams have got to work to make it even more relevant nationally. Kentucky get back to the top ten consistently. Louisville get back to the top ten, to top fifteen every once in a while. Remember back in the day when this game matched teams that were in the top five or the top ten. Denny Crumb coaching against Rick Patino or Eddy Sutton, it was a marquee matchup. Gets up to these teams to make it that way again. Don't blame the networks, don't blame the conferences. Those teams have got to get the job done. John Clay's next on six thirty welcome back to the Big Blue and Cider. As promised, mister John Clay, veteran of the UK beat sports columnists for The Herald Leader. But before we talk Entucky sports, UK Sports. John, your column today is about Sovereignty skipping the Preakness. This is becoming more and more frequent, and we'd like people to either go online or buy the paper and read it, but without giving away the store. Tell me, tell me why you wrote what you wrote today.
Speaker 7: Well, Sovereignty is the fourth Kentucky Derby winner in the last seven years, is to bypass the Preakness yesterday. The announcement yesterday was really no surprise.
Speaker 2: To those of us who we're.
Speaker 7: Talking to Bill who talked to Bill Mott and Michael Vanahan of Good Dolphins on Sunday morning after the race there at the barn there at Churchill Downs. The way they talked that day, we all came away. It was funny because Jason Frakes, who covers horse racer high school sports, but us a horse racing for the Courier. Jason, when we got done talking to Bill, Jason said, well, I guess I won't be booking that flight to Baltimore because we got Even though they said they were going to, you know, make a decision a few days, the vibe we got definitely was that, you know, they're going to skip the Brisness and focus on the Belmont. So I just think that, you know, horse racing, part of the horse racing the deal over time has been that they stand sometimes stand too long on tradition and not changing with the times. But we've got a definite threat, definite trend here. And Bill Mitt said when we talked to him on Sunday, the biggest concern is just two weeks between the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness. And as he said, over time, we've learned that the more spacing can give horses a little better they do and the longer their careers last. So my column today kind of makes the argument that some you know needs to change. If we're gonna the Triple Ground needs to change and change with the times. Do I think that's going to happen. No, Because one thing that's different about the Triple Crown, It's not like the Breeders' Cup. The Breeders' Cup is an organization. The Triple Crown is not. It's a name, but the three tracks Churchill Downs for the Derby, Pimlico for Breakness, and Delmont Park for the Belmont. Although it's going to be run this year at Saratoga like it was last year because Belmont's under renovation. They have different owners who operate independently, so I don't expect there's going to be a change anytime soon, but I think we're going to see more and more of this. We're definitely seeing a trend with four out of the last seven Derby winners.
Speaker 4: Not going on to the breakness, well, people, you bring up a great point. May I realize the triple crown was a term that was coined by a sports writer way back in the day, and it's stuck. I mean, like all great labels, it's stuck. And you make a great point about the racetracks. But the thing is they all benefit from and enjoy the trappings of the triple crown. And as I mentioned last night, it's always better for racing when a horse goes for a triple crown because just look at the attendance figures, especially the Belmont. You know, when you've got a horse that's racing for the triple Crown, you'll have a healthy crowd because for one thing at Saratoga, but not as good as it should have been with a triple crown. Now I've done John, I've done a one eighty, and I don't know how how long ago it was, and maybe all along you've believed this, But for the longest time I dug in. It was like me against a designated hitter. You know. I finally gave up on that because no one's listening to me. But I dug in because of the tradition of the Triple Crown, and I wondered, would it cheapen if they space their races longer, wider apart. Would it cheapen the feet? Then I went back and started looking at the history and John, I'm sure you've seen this. This wasn't always the calendar for the Triple Crown. It was different. It's changed several times. That's one argument. But the one I think most of all, John, is the one I make for poly Track and everybody else hates it, except for Turfway Park. If we really want what's best for the horses, will change it, you know what I mean right right now?
Speaker 7: Yeah, No, I'm I'm was with you. I have for a long time. There. I said you need to keep it just because at that time it was more because nobody had accomplished it. We went thirty seven years between you know, between Affirmed and American Pharaoh in twenty fifteen. But now I think it's gotten to be more like a safety issue, more of a demand issue. My thing is is that you bring up the designated hitter. I mean, look, look at baseball. Baseball finally went to Major League Baseball finally went to the pitchclock. But last year or the year before, you know, they fought that for so long. Same thing with the designatedor. And I was with you. I was against the designated or. I was especially against the designated hitor coming to the National League because I thought it took a lot of strategy out of the game.
Speaker 1: But now the.
Speaker 7: Designator I still watch baseball. I think baseball is better with the pitchclock. I think baseball's better with the When the outlawed the shift, they change with the times.
Speaker 4: Football.
Speaker 7: I think one of the reasons the popularity of the NFL is that they have tweaked the rules over the years to change with the times, to make it more of an offensive game, to make it easier for past blocking and that sort of thing. But horse racing have they're doing a little more of that, but not they haven't been as quick to change. So I mean, I think the proposal that you moved the Preakness to the first week in June or early in June, and you moved to Belmont to early in July. Makes a whole lot of sense. But whether they'll do that, I don't know. I saw somebody yesterday on social media say, what if we said the Derby, the Belmont, and the Travers are the real triple Crown? Would that make any you know with that? You know in modern horse racing? Is that more realistic for a triple Crown and just leave the Preakness out of it? You know, I don't know. I'd like to see I would like to see tradu hold and I've been to Pimlico. Obviously Pimlico is in bad shape there. Supposedly someday, I guess they're going to make finally make improvements there. But that race has a lot of tradition and so forth. So I would like to see it stay in the mix. But you know, we'll, we'll, we'll see what happens. One thing I think is a little different this year. Bill there's you know, Dick, You've been around a long time too. There is maybe not a more respected trainer than Bill Mott, right, I mean, he's a classy guy. He's a respected trainer. He may be the best turf trainer, uh in the history of horse racing, and he's had a lot of success here lately on dirt. You know, remember Bill wouldn't We didn't run into Derby for a long time. He didn't get two year olds and he didn't think three year olds which should be running, you know, he didn't want to rush him along. He's kind of changed his thinking lately. But for Bill Mott to say, hey, and good Dolphin too, because Godolfa wants to They won a lot of races and they want to win races. For them to say, you know, this isn't the best interest of his horse, it's not in the best interest what we want to do. To me, I think carries a lot of weight.
Speaker 4: Oh I couldn't agree more. And that's what John surprised me more. Really, I wasn't surprised at all that Bill Mott soft sold the idea on live TV right after he hoisted the trophy. But the first thing that came to my mind was, man, go, Dolphin's been chasing this Kentucky Derby for years and years and they're doing it right. They're buying good blood. They're buying mayors now and trying to breed instead of purchase. You know, Kentucky Derby winners, and they hire a guy like Bill Mott. Nothing against Albert Trony and some of the other trainers they had, but I thought, man, these folks have wanted this for so long. But you got to respect Bill Mott, like you said, and so I guess we shouldn't be too shocked. Well, you made a good point about the NFL, and the biggest reason, of course, that the NFL makes its changes and makes the game more entertaining is for television, not for the people in the stadium. They am, they're important too, but it's once they turned to TV and wrapped their greedy little arms around it, uh that that industry took off. And that's another thing we got to remember about the triple crown. Yeah, we love to see the big crowds you and I do at the race tracks, and the figures on the betting handles are phenomenal, but it's about ratings, man, And you know, you get somebody going for their triple Crown, you're going to get the numbers right.
Speaker 7: Because this is this is the time of year when the general public who are the casual racing fan pays attention to ors racing. I mean, the Breeders' Cup is a great event, but it's in the cover November.
Speaker 4: You got football going on.
Speaker 7: It's got a lot of competition. Uh you know, Uh, the NBA is starting up. It's got a lot more competition than right now. Right now, basically it's Major League Baseball. It's the only competition. Well, you got the NBA playoffs. I think that you got the NBA playoffs, but uh, you know, because they want to see King a horse accomplish a triple crownd chrise. You talk every year about the super horse, that sort of thing. So so yeah, and but you know, we'll see what happens. I just don't expect there to be a change. I think the these three tracks will dig in. I've seen before where Niris said that they'll never move to Belmont as the timing at the Belmont. So you know, I don't know. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: You know, when you dig in like that, you're just hurting yourself. And I would think that any any thought of moving the Prequens out of Baltimore is going to be I think met with all kinds of resistance. I'm not crazy about that idea either. But if they don't make them move that they keep saying they're going to make and and bring Pimlical back to life, then they may have no choice but to make that kind of change. So John Kay is the veteran sports columns and a Hall of famer by the way Basketball Writers Association, we will talk with basketball with John on the other side of the break in a little football here on six thirty WLAP. Welcome back. We're talking with John Clay. He is a sports columnist for the Herald Leader and a member of the Basketball Writers Hall of Fame and a guy who's seeing his share of UK basketball and Mark Pope. You talk about stirring up enthusiasm, John, I mean, it was a little more than a year ago that he arrived and then he starts putting in roster together and everybody seemed pleased, had a good time with the season. But man, the excitement for this roster he's put together. I'm wondering, is this going to be an annual event? You know what I mean?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I probably will. The way the way things are going structure down with the transfer portal and so forth. Yeah, I mean, I mean who knows. I mean, everybody's obviously, as you said, very enthusiastic. I've seen where people have rated Kentucky's transfer portal hall at the top or near the top in college basketball. But it's you know, it's hard to know how they're going to put together, how they're going to play together, that sort of thing. I think one thing you have to be encouraged about is that, as you mentioned, Mark had to do the same thing last year, and look what. Look at the job he did. I mean when from really from the start of the season. These guys look like they played together for a long time when they didn't even know each other until they got on campus. So if you go by pass performance like we do with the horses, you have to say that Mark looks like he's doing the same job again. But you know, it's interesting pieces that he's brought in. I guess he's got maybe one or two more spots. We'll see how they fit together. But yeah, you have to be encouraged when you look at the resumes of the guys he's brought in.
Speaker 4: On three s Texas rank number one and Kentucky rank number two. Yeah, Well, like you said, the proof is is a putting but you know what I think is a big advantage for them, John, And it may have hurt them a little bit because they were behind on defense for quite a while and maybe Pope picks up on that and concentrates more on that earlier. But the way his teams play offense, it really demands you know, great on court chemistry and so when they jump into that, and the key there is going to be which big guy can pass the ball the way a Marii Williams did right?
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah, that's that's a that's a very good point because yeah, obviously passing is a big part of his offense. The way with their spacing and so forth and how they play, I think too the advantage that he had this year. You know, coming in last year coach at b YU and you hear from people and you saw, you know at b YU, you know they were a good offensive team as a really progressive NBA style offense, but I'm not sure how many people actually saw it. And Kentucky gets so much more visibility they saw it last year and say hey, I want to play in that system. That's a system that will help me in the success that he had getting that team to the Sweet sixteen and being a good team and a great conference last year. I think all of that helps him, you know, kind of backing up a little bit on the point about the transfer portal and getting the pieces to fifth. You know, I went to the Final four because of that, mainly because of the Hall of Fame induction was held there, but you know, attended the games, went to the press conference, wrote from the file four. One of the things that Truckby is when Todd Golden to Florida coach, when he was asked about the transfer portal, he said, the biggest thing for them. They knew after their first year or the year before at Florida that they had a good offensive team, but they weren't tough enough. They needed to be tougher. They needed more of an inside presence. So they went out and got two guys that maybe people hadn't even heard of. One in particular, the guy from Washington how we pronounced his name sheriff knew or however name Washington State. And you know he wasn't a highly regarded transfer portal guy. I'm sure they didn't have him ranked near the top of the transfer portal, but he was invaluable to what Florida needed. They needed that piece, and I think Mark after last year seeing said, I'm sure he probably said, you know, we need to be better. We were really good offensively, but we do need to be better defensively, and that you know, players that he looked for, and I think that's a big piece instead of the ratings. Nothing against the ratings, but a lot of times it's more about the pieces to fit together than just getting talent. And it's just acquiring talent. So we'll see how it plays out.
Speaker 4: I was to your point. I was a little surprised that Amari Williams wasn't more of a presence defensively as a rim protector he turned out to be. He was, He was not bad. He was okay, you know, three time defender of the Year in his conference. But for whatever reason, I thought he'd just be a real fly swatter back there, and ultimately as the team got better, he got better. But I'm with you, I want to see, you know what they're like. And man, he's gone for size this year, hasn't he.
Speaker 7: Well yeah, yeah, yeah, definitely, definitely. He's got some big kids. And then bringing in the former kid from Lexton Catholic. You know, even though he's a walk on, I think he's I wouldn't be surprised if he is an integral part of the team, even if it's coming off the bench. But yeah, he's definitely you can guta look at he's definitely. He's targeted size. He felt like that, you know, we need that and he had he had some decent size last year, as you mentioned with Amar and you know Andrew Carr six', eleven Guy. Garrison those guys are big. Guys but, YEAH i THINK i would guess that mark and we, HOPEFULLY i think we're going to get to talk to him next. Week one of the things that he targeted, was you know that we need a little be better, defensively and who are guys THAT i can get who will fit into my offensive system but will also be good defensive.
Speaker 2: Players.
Speaker 4: Yeah now they're going to Miss Lamont butler up. Front, yeah so that's going to be vital to see how they make that transition and who is the leader up. THERE a few minutes left With John, clay what was your response and your reaction When Travis perry.
Speaker 7: Left a little, surprised but not totally. SURPRISED a little surprised to be as A kentucky kid that he would, Lead BUT i think he wants to. PLAY i think people can't forget he didn't play in The tennessee game at the end of the, season in the tournament After Lamon butler had come. BACK i think he probably saw the writing on the wall with the guys that were brought, in you, know to shame because.
Speaker 2: He's A kentucky.
Speaker 7: Kid BUT i think he's got a landing spot at Ole. MISS i really Like Chris. BEARD i Think Chris beard is a heck of a. Coach and If Chris pard Thinks Travis peary can play for, him AND i Think Travis perry can play for, Him so you, KNOW i hate to see him Lee kentucky as A kentucky, kid BUT i wasn't totally.
Speaker 4: Surprised, Yeah i'm with. You my thing is he IS i think a shooting guard trapped in a point guard's. Body SO i really want to see how he fits into That Ole miss. System they like to get up and down the, floor you, know and he's got that period between freshmen and sophomore years when a lot of kids move. Up BUT i think you're. RIGHT i think when he saw as, Well Colin chandler just absolutely blossoming at the end of the, year that was something to, see wasn't.
Speaker 7: It, Right Absolute it's funny because of a friend of mine who is a basketball guy but not really. Connected he's been telling me early, on, SAID i guarantee you by the end of the, Year Colin chandler is going to be a big factor on this. Team and he was really headed in that direction towards the end of the, year So i'm sure that figured into. It why did you his thinking as?
Speaker 4: Well why did your friend say, That you, know he just when he.
Speaker 7: Liked his athletic ability and the fact that he had been off for two. Years it was going to take him a little while to. Develop but with his athletic, ability he thought that he would be a good. Player he would be one of those guys that people maybe got off to slow start and, say, oh, well he's not. Ready but by the end of the, year he'll be a. Factor AND i think HE i think you're. RIGHT i, mean he's going to be even much more of a factor next year now that he has a full off season where he already knows the, system you, know the going into next year where he was trying to learn everything coming off a two year. Layoff so uh, YEAH i think he'll definitely be a big factor next.
Speaker 4: Year you. Know i'm sure you heard The John rostein interview the, podcast and of Course mark's gonna gush about, everybody BUT i really believe he was absolutely sincere when he talked About Trent, noah you, know and he talked About trent all year long about, it but you know This Trent noah like, this this element of wonderment and his, voice and having having watched and play throughout The sweet, SIXTEEN i GUESS i should say. It it doesn't surprise. Me BUT i think given his, Size, John he'll be able to carve out more playing.
Speaker 7: TIME i think the biggest thing With, trent know is he'll had sort of like we've talked about before With Colin, chandler a year in the, system but he'll have a year where he's in the weight, program in the conditioning. PROGRAM i think he'll get bigger and, stronger WHICH i think will help, him you. Know AND i think there were, things not just, offensively but he showed some things defensively That mark. Alike not that he's a great, defender.
Speaker 2: But he can.
Speaker 7: BE i think he's got a chance to be a much better. Defender so he as you mentioned About Travis perry being the shooting guard and a point guard's, BODY i Think trent has a little bit of an advantage in that that he's, bigger and you, know you show what he can do kind of instant offense off the. Bench BUT i think it's really going TO i think he should really benefit from having a whole off season in the, system not as a, freshman but a, sophomore with some institutional knowledge of how things are, done how they are, done and What Mark pope wants to. DO i think that'll really benefit.
Speaker 4: Him and when he builds that upper body, strength he'll be even better. Defensively. Right that'll keep him on the. Floor, John BEFORE i let you, GO i was able to watch Your Cincinnati reds last night play The. BRAVES i don't have THE mlb, package SO i, Said, man they wasted a great pitching, performance Didn't they lost in A.
Speaker 7: Yeah they've done several of. Those they just can't they can't seem to score, consistently score runs. Consistently the offense has just not been. There you, Know matt, McLain who was really on a couple of years ago and obviously missed last. YEAR i guess it's still the. RUST i, mean he's hitting below two. Hundred you, Know they've had some other guys that they thought were going to be good offensive players who are not have have not been able to. PRODUCE i think It's stevenson Back, helps but, yeah they've they've. Wasted their pitching has been really really, good especially the. ROTATION i, MEAN i don't know that there's too many rotations better than the rotation they have. Gone starting rotation with The Hunter, Green wilodolo and you, know the guy they got From Kansas City. Singer he's pitched, well but he hasn't gotten a lot of run support the last few, Games so you, know we'll. SEE i like What Frank ConA has. DONE i think he's brought a different kind of attitude to the, team but they got to start scoring runs on a more distant basis if they're going to have a chance to being in the hunt for the.
Speaker 4: Playoffs it's a winnable. Division My cardinals aren't any. Good i'd love to see The reds jump up and win it so, well you, know but you're A reds. Fan you're used to that, though, right, yes, right sad to say sad to Say, john thank you so. Much watch For john's work At kentucky dot com and of course on ex For twitter At john Clay. Ivy thank, you, Sir thank. You dick coming up an Hour number. Two Unforgettable Guard Sean wood And west M bureau Chief Gary. Moore that's ALL i had on six thirty W.
Speaker 8: Ipecacutacta don't.
Speaker 4: S welcome back to The Big. Moon sider joining us now does each and Every wednesday Is Sean. Woods the unforgettable guard Is jersey hangs in the raptors of. Rup he's not a head coach At Scott County High school. Coach last week you sent me a tweet From Jeff goodman From he's obviously a writer and a podcaster and covers college, basketball and he had polled twenty five or more high major coaches about salary numbers for the. Year but some of these numbers showan are just mind. Boggling top ten to fifteen guys getting two and a half to four million projected all conference player one and a half to two and a half, million projected starters half a million to one and a half and projected bench players two hundred to seven hundred. Thousand, now i know you're all in favor of the players getting what they've deserved all, along But i've got to think from the head coach's, position and of course you're a high school, coach you've coached, college you've played. Collegeball how much more challenging does this make? It four, coaches especially assistant, coaches you need to earn the respect and trust of these kids when they're making that kind of.
Speaker 2: MONEY i, mean you said the, Best. DICK i, mean.
Speaker 1: It's like the prisoners are starting to roll, with you, know run the. Asylum you, know they're coming in with this type of, salary and with that type of salary brings on a different, mentality you, know and it's hard to treat young people who are supposed to be amateurs like.
Speaker 2: Pros but that's.
Speaker 1: How you're going to have, to you, know treat them loud because from a disrespect, standpoint from a from a from a, uh you, know what they're doing on the, court to academics to every little, thing you, know and then some of. Them you get every kid is not going to be, good so but you still got to pay them the, money you, know like. EVERYBODY i, mean this is this stuff right here is free agent see in THE.
Speaker 2: Nba you know What i'm.
Speaker 4: Saying oh, Sure.
Speaker 1: So if you're paying a kid two point five to four, million say he's not as good as you thought he, was but you still got to pay that. Too and then you got the other kid that's supposed to be a projected bench player who's making two hundred to seven hundred, thousand but he's he's producing more so than the projected elite. Guy and he starts to play more than that projected elite.
Speaker 2: Guy what, Happens oh, yeah oh, yeah he's.
Speaker 1: Gonna want more. Money he's gonna want that. Money that that you know What i'm. Saying so now you're getting into the locker. Room you, know why is this? Guy you, know he's making this type of money And i'm making this But i'm producing more than, him you know What i'm.
Speaker 2: Saying now you get the parents. Involved now they're calling the.
Speaker 1: Coach you, Know now what's supposed to be important is the betterment of the. Team now is getting more. Personal you know What i'm, Saying it's all about money, Now it's not about you know how this team is gonna, fare you, know going, forward trying to make win a, championship you, KNOW sec, CHAMPIONSHIP ncaa championship or.
Speaker 2: Whatever it's Just claudi's.
Speaker 1: UP i, MEAN i just can't see how you can sustain the locker room when there's a, comparison and money is a.
Speaker 4: Comparison how much more important Than sean is it for any head, coach not Just Mark, pope but any head coach to nail it when they're bringing in kids through the, portal you got a. Chance you, know it's. DIFFERENT i know if you're recruiting a high school, kid but it's, similar of, Course but to get to know a kid when you're scouting, them when you're talking to, them to make sure they've got the character that can at least assure you up front that the locker room is not going to be that great of an. Issue now things, CHANGE i know, that BUT i got to, think, man there's so much more pressure on these coaches, now no doubt about.
Speaker 2: It because when you everybody's transferring for a.
Speaker 1: Reason, Right, Okay now you're transferring either because you and you, know sometimes these guys are transferring their coaches want them to.
Speaker 2: Leave if that makes, sense you know What i'm.
Speaker 1: Saying so so you, know some of these kids are transferring and not even coming in on a visit until after the, fact so you're not really getting.
Speaker 2: To know these guys only through you.
Speaker 1: KNOW i hope some of these guys are calling the coaches and, say, hey tell me your experience with this kid while he played with. YOU i hope you're doing. That and if you, are you, know some coaches that want to get rid of them may tell you something just to just to make sure that you take, them to take them up their, hands because they're Not they're not Gonna they're not.
Speaker 2: Gonna pay that.
Speaker 1: Kid that the reason why you're. Leaving you're leaving for more money for the most, part and place that you. At they're saying to, you, well we know who you are in our, minds you're not worthy.
Speaker 2: Of that type of.
Speaker 1: Money so other team who just needs bodies and another talented, kid but don't know the character of the, kid is gonna pay that kid that money that the other school wasn't gonna pay. Him and he turns out to be a third. There it's, Hard, DICK i mean it's super. Hard and LIKE i told you before when we, talk the best thing That pope did for this past team, was even though you, know injuries came, about they play seventh in THE, sec which is not you, know you Know kentucky expects more than. That but he did a great job with character. Kids you, know he struck lighting in the bottle with great character kids who wanted to be, here no matter if it was money or. Not they have to put that jersey on and play at the Taj mahal of college. Basketball, well now it's not going to be that every year, anymore because it's getting more and. More you, know these kids are getting more and more, selfish more and more hungry for chasing the dollar more so than chasing a place where they can grow and win a championship and.
Speaker 2: Help that coach be.
Speaker 1: Successful that's the line that you just got to be careful.
Speaker 2: Of.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah and it's gonna get harder every year for like you, said for. Coaches And i'm wondering now, too a guy like you you have. Played you were a great high school, player you were a great college. Player part of a great story in college. Basketball you've COACHED d one, Basketball you've coached a team to the Nca. Tournament you're coaching a high school. Program now that's got all kinds of. Tradition but what is going to BE i guess it'll vary from kid to. Kid maybe what is the role your role now going to be in? Recruiting with all this, money all this money flying, around all these figures flying, around AND i know that oftentimes high school coaches are eliminated from the process and THE aau guys are the. Middleman tell me what your thoughts are going into your new.
Speaker 1: Job, well BECAUSE i do have great experience And i'm. Coming you, KNOW i was one of the guys that you had them press and one of the guys that was evaluating you from a from a high school. Standpoint you, Know i'm just gonna be able to WHAT i. Bring gonna bring to the table is the educated part of what to look, for you, know to prepare these kids for that when they get, there and also.
Speaker 2: What turns a coach, on what turns the.
Speaker 1: Coach, off what they're looking, for and you, know also to bear and hopefully advise them as far as what they're worth is, yeah you know that that's going to be. Big and you know a big part of my job, too and What i'm trying to bring to the table.
Speaker 2: Is to show them their.
Speaker 1: Worth but you have to work hard to become worthy of what you're asking for when it comes to you, know moneies and attraction from a player. Standpoint so that's What i'm bringing to the table that. Part so when you leave, me first of, All i'm gonna help you through the process from a from a negotiating standpoint and show you what you're. Worth And i'm be honest with college coaches, too so they're not wasting their time thinking this kids better than what he is Or i'm telling a coach that this kid's better than what you think he. Is you know What i'm, saying because most of them gonna trust me because of my. Experience so that's What i'm going to bring to the, table more so the most high school coaches. Period but you, know the mindset is What i'm going to work. On you know What i'm, Saying, like you got to have some type of you got to be.
Speaker 2: Humbled you, know some of.
Speaker 1: These kids now are coming, in you, know getting raised and things like, that and they're thinking, that you, know because they were a high School All american or a state all state, guy that everything's going to be the same when they get to. College, no every freshman, struggles and they're going to struggle even more now because you're playing against more grown, men older guys that are not just twenty, two eighteen to twenty. Two you're dealing with kids now there are twenty to twenty.
Speaker 4: Six oh, yeah oh, yeah that's a great.
Speaker 9: Point so you come into you, know you're not doing a four year deal to where you used to playing against the guy as a, freshman and you plan against you, know you coming in if your talent to eighth, grade are coming in.
Speaker 1: As a in high school as a talented, freshman and you're going to struggle a little, bit but you're good enough to play on the varsity as a. Freshman, Okay now when you go to, college you got to add two more years to, that if that makes.
Speaker 10: Sense and these coaches now got to be careful of how many high school especially the high, majors of how many.
Speaker 1: High school kids are you're going to take that you got to pay a high dollar to get compared to the transfers that have experienced stronger so, long stronger mentally and. Physically you know who you're getting at a decent price of maybe half a, Million but you're going to get this McDonald All american that you've got.
Speaker 2: To get one point two to two million two.
Speaker 1: That's not worthy of that because they ain't excuse my, language p to.
Speaker 4: Drop and then maybe there will be some, day but you don't know from year to year if they're going to be on your.
Speaker 1: Team what happened to the day's dick of earning a? Raise you know What i'm, saying not coming in with a high, dollar but earning your keep and deserving a rays more so than coming in at a high dollar at a high. Clip even going into THE, nba there's only so much you can make as a, rookie, right and then you earn your keep to get that next contract that pays you.
Speaker 2: More that's. Right that should be the same thing in.
Speaker 4: College maybe it will Be Shawn. Woods my guess he is an unforgettable. Guard As jersey hangs in the raptors of Rupp we'll come back and talk more basketball in just a minute on six THIRTY Wlap welcome, back we're talking With Sean. Woods he's now the head coach At Scott County High. School he of course is one of the unforgettables and we talk basketball each week with a. Coach one more recruiting question for. You you. Got let's say you've got a high profile, Kid you've got, recruits recruiters coming in every week and spinning their, pitch respective. Pitches whether you are in on any of these gatherings or, not what kind of things will you tell? Recruits in other, WORDS i guess warning might be too strong a, word but how will you educate a perspective recruit on how to listen to these guys because some of, them as you, know will tell you everything you want to. Hear and then you had other guys and recruits told us. This Cali perry told Them kentucky's not for, everybody and it's gonna be the hardest thing you ever. Did AND i got to Think bettino was the same way with a lot of his. RECRUITS i know he didn't recruit, you but that's how it turned. Out what can you share with kids when it comes to hearing all the praises and all the recruiting pitches and then it might turn out to be something else once you get to. Campus well, me.
Speaker 1: BECAUSE i know most of these college coaches AND i can read them like a. Book And i'm sure that when a college coach comes to my, place comes to sky and recruiting my, players they know that they're gonna have to be on the up and. Up And i'm Not i'm not gonna sell my kid down the road and put him in a bad situation because we're already dealing with TRANSFERRED i, mean transferring is not only into college, ranks their high school kids are transferring at a rapid rate. Now and you, know coaches are looking for, stability they're looking for, Character they're looking, for you, know guys that they can they can. Trust but in today's, age because there's so much money, involved it's hard for. That so what my deal is is.
Speaker 2: This you, know.
Speaker 1: Your character is gonna take you a long, way and that's the only. THING i can't control you once you leave. Me But i'm gonna try to put my kid in the best situation from a long term, standpoint And i'm gonna have to be.
Speaker 2: Honest not only with the, kid my kid that the colleges are coming to. Recruit BUT i got to.
Speaker 1: Be honest and make that school honest with me on you, know how they see. Him you, know Hopefully i'll sit be in the city is with when that guy comes in to. Recruit you, know my, Players i'm gonna have to ask those questions with.
Speaker 2: It you, know what is your? Max what is your what is your? Max as far as n il's.
Speaker 1: Concerned you, KNOW i may have a kid that doesn't you know that just that's not that type of kid that even deserves IN il. Money but you, know and and when that, COMES i got to be honest with my kid to, say you're not that level, kid and this is your.
Speaker 2: Level you need to do. This but IF i have a high.
Speaker 1: Major, kid a mind major college, kid Then i'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna educate them as much as.
Speaker 1: Possible but only not only, That i'm gonna ask the tough questions to the to the to the guys that are coming in to recruit. Them you know those, deals you know how much money you. Got you know what if this situation, happens because it's going to. Happen what if he becomes an all conference, player you, know or or more attractive to somebody's needs at a higher. Level how are you going to be able to? Sustain and if you can't, sustain at least we know going in that you, know if this kid becomes all all of, this all that and becomes more attracted to the high major, schools knowing that this is going to, happen you, know we know this going.
Speaker 2: In this is how it. Works so it's nobody. Surprised.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah we've we've talked a lot about parents here of the last two or three conversations you AND i have, had and, Uh i'm, wondering was your Mom you've talked about your mom a. Lot was she involved in your recruiting at? All did she sit, in did she have? Questions what did? What how did that? Work?
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah my mom never questioned my coach THAT i was playing. Right but as far as the recruiting, process oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: She was right, there no doubt about. It you.
Speaker 1: Know she she told Coach, sutton Asked Cose sutton point blank and told him she, SAID i know My. SEAN i think My sean is better than your Shank.
Speaker 2: And is that going to be a? Problem and.
Speaker 1: She was exactly, right and and you, know she asked those tough questions you, Know Bob knight came in to my home and he couldn't he couldn't intimidate my. Mom you, know my mom.
Speaker 2: Once you got, me now you got. Me you, know she wasn't gonna question my. Minutes you, know none of. That my mom never said anything To Coach.
Speaker 1: Patino matter of, fact she barely even spoke To Coach patino and vice, versa because that was my. World then that was me becoming an adult and trying to figure some things, out you, know and she allowed. That you, know these parents, now they want they want to control, everything every, narrative and that's what makes the experience.
Speaker 2: Money and nobody wants to deal with.
Speaker 1: You you, Know i'm not going to you know What i'm, saying deal with that type of situation with. Parents you, know it's got to be a trust. Heal you, know because of my, EXPERIENCE i DON'T i have more experience than.
Speaker 2: Any parent out. There i'm not going to misuse a.
Speaker 1: Kid i'm gonna try to get them to be to become the best players they can be BECAUSE i need them.
Speaker 2: To become the best player to be SO i can, win you know WHAT i.
Speaker 1: Mean, so so you know we're going to be on the same. Page But i'm not going to try to win the dinner. TABLE i didn't try to win it WHEN i was in WHEN i was coaching, college And i'm not going to try to do it, Now dick and, uh you, know that's the reason Why Scott county hired me because of my experience and HOPEFULLY i don't have to deal with those situations because parents are ruining these kids at a rapid. Rate and if you go watch a high school, game you see parents acting like an, idiot you, know sitting there at half, court you, know challenging the, reps challenging the, coach talking about the, coach going on social media saying bad, things and your kid got.
Speaker 2: To go back and play for that.
Speaker 4: Guysmates in the hallway.
Speaker 2: Exactly so you know WHAT i.
Speaker 1: Mean so that's you, know you, know you, know and that's not gonna be that type of party.
Speaker 2: Here that's going to make got kind of. Unique trust. Me you, know we won't have one conversation.
Speaker 1: At the beginning and then after, that you, know is every day gonna be? Peachy, no but nowhere every day's. Peachy is he gonna have a bad? Game is somebody else gonna play more than. Him is he not gonna get shots that he want to?
Speaker 2: Get so on and so.
Speaker 1: Forth as a head basketball, coach in my, Experience i'm not dealing with. That i'm at the end of the, day if you, win everybody gets what they, want and a, coach you ain't got to score twenty five points a night for a coach to think that you're good enough to play at that.
Speaker 2: University that's not how it.
Speaker 4: IS i like The i'm not gonna win a dinner. TABLE i will remember that WHEN i think about recruiting. Now and by the, way in all, Fairness Sean sutton did become a good guard At Oklahoma. State like three years into his. Career he got better and was a better shooter and. Passer but, YEAH i think the the india Of sean was a little bit better or a lot better than the. Coaches, kid, coach thank you so much as always great talking to.
Speaker 1: You saying You.
Speaker 2: Dick always buddy up.
Speaker 4: Next Gary moore Or West End Bureau Chief back in a, minute six thirty, Wlap welcome back to The Big blue And. Cider it Is, wednesday which means we cast our eyes to the, west where we find Our West end bureau, Chief Gary, moore joined your each and every. Week there's a lot on his. MIND i can tell you, that well there.
Speaker 11: Is it's two guys in a six. PACK i got six things to bring up, here six, swigs and you got to help me with. This there's a lot of stuff we got to unpack here, Today. Dick, first of, course the big story over here In Derby. Town less than three days after the Thrilling derby one fifty one, Wins sovereignties peeps notify the preetness peeps that they were chickening passing On pimlico to concentrate on The belmont next. Month, hey thanks for the triple, crown buzzkill. Pal after, that the most and all of this after the moment to Watch derby since what nineteen eighty?
Speaker 3: Nine it's a record.
Speaker 4: This year FOR.
Speaker 11: Nbc also a, record by the, way three hundred and forty nine million bet on The Derby day. Program SO i have two questions for, you, sir since you have covered horse racing for decades and probably have forgotten more Than i'll ever know about horse. Racing Number, one given the great storyline journalism and, sovereignty going neck and neck down the. Stretch why wouldn't they want to try for the triple? CROWN i, mean are horses more fragile? NOWADAYS i, mean didn't bother secretary and a bunch of others that have done this in a couple of weeks? Time and also does this now mean like some have said that The preakness has got to be moved more than just two weeks after the, DERBY i think D Wayne lucas had, said moved The preakness To Memorial day in The belmont To july.
Speaker 3: Fourth what do you, Think, WELL.
Speaker 4: I think you've nailed it. All to answer your first, Question, yes they are more fragile because readers have changed the way they are. Doing they've changed the. Science they are breeding more for. Speed and you don't need to race thirty odd times to make your. Money now you got a good horse and you win two or three races or even place and three or, four the purses are so great that you make your. Money you can pay your, bills you can pay the note on your, farm you can pay the, help and you don't need to run that horse into the. Ground you might not make as much, breeding but you'll cover your. Bills and that's the first thing you got to. Do but to your, point AND i talked about this earlier on the show With John clay and and myself THAT i talked to. Myself of, course that's a good way to get an intelligent. Answer, yeah And gary had did the. TURNAROUND i Told John clay, this it's, like AND i know how you feel about the designated. HITTER i finally gave. Up i'm, like, look you got to make the change for the good of the. Game As john pointed, out THE nfl has made change a rule changes to make the game more pat for the. Fans. Yep and this is what The Triple crown's. About it's building the fan. Base so why not move it Now if it's better for the, horses if it's better for the, fans and it's not locked in as traditionally as you might, think because back in the day they ran the calendar was all over the. Map so you, know quit being so stubborn and do the smart thing in terms of your.
Speaker 11: Business you got more time to promote it, too think about stretching this out and like we're building up just you, know now just a week, away, now two weeks. Whatever, yeah all, right we solved that.
Speaker 3: Problem second swig in a six.
Speaker 11: Pack we go from horse racing to pennant racing college baseball season down to the final two regular season. Weekends and by the, way do they actually award real pennants the felt things to the winners or just buy those in the?
Speaker 3: Bookstore?
Speaker 4: Right those are ones? Though you fly over the, Stadium, yeah that's what it is there you.
Speaker 11: Go, yeah, anyway last night over here At Jim Patterson, stadium NINETEEN U ofl beat the number Ten Vandy boys five to, four the battle of the, barrel barrel of SOMETHING i don't, know probably, beer you.
Speaker 4: Know college.
Speaker 11: Guys cards are now thirty three and, fifteen tied for sixth place in THE. Acc now they get three at third Place Georgia tech Starting friday. Night My, hilltoppers like Your, wildcats got the week off for. Finals cats need a break, though after that miserable over three weekend. Start vegas doesn't get any Easier friday when number Sixteen oklahoma is in for. Three Senior day is On. Saturday by the, way what is your biggest problem that you? See The cats have to fix if they want to go far into the tournament and.
Speaker 4: Beyond they gotta get back to what they were doing successfully before Your toppers beat, them and that's actually now four game losing. Streak, yeah they were finally getting quality at bats and matching good pitching with good. Offense but this offense is not nearly as explosive as it was last. Year it's not as. Consistent they do have some injuries to keep. Players Patrick carrera being at has really affected them quite a bit more THAN i thought it. Would but they've just got to put all that behind him and put runs on the board because they're pitching for the most part has been pretty. Good. Now you got to throw out that first game like a bad horse race Against Mississippi state when they got run, Ruled but it looked like they were getting, pitching hitting in defense at just the right. TIME i don't know if there's Time gary to reclaim, that but they've got to do it.
Speaker 3: Now third swig at a six.
Speaker 11: Packs speaking OF uk AND u OF, l is it true the Annual cards And Cats Governor's cup football game maybe move back to the first game of the season for both. Schools lousville Ad Josh hurt said last week that the powers that be in charge of all this stuff.
Speaker 3: Are talking about.
Speaker 11: It josh himself, said, quote ESPN's got a big say and when these games take, place and they're going to do what they think is best from a viewership standpoint. Unquote in other, words it's going to get, moved all. Right so which do you prefer opening the season with, it, say maybe even On Labor, day as one scenario has, it or just keeping it for last where it's been since nineteen ninety, four or even In week three like it was during The Rich brooks.
Speaker 4: Days The rich brook stage was About brooks wanting his team to be more capable and ready to play that. Game but let's work. Backwards having the game at the end of the, Season i'll have to admit has worked out on several occasions For kentucky needing a win to get to A bowl game or providing. Momentum but with a CAPITAL. B i'm in the hype business in a sports talk radio show, host And i've always said this As Opening day was a god send or people like. Me and when you go, back as you mentioned in ninety, Four Howard schnellenberger And Bill curry put their heads, together agreed to play this, game played it on day one of the, schedule and to his, Credit, schnellenberger as smart as he, was agreed to play the first four In lexington because he couldn't get THE u OF l donors off their red and black butts to build him a new. Stadium and once the game started to pile, UP u OF l people suddenly woke, Up, man we need a new. Stadium and it. Happened, okay now they move it because OF. Tv they move it to the end of the. Year THE sec network had a lot to do with. That but and a lot of people mistakenly, thought, well now it's going to be part of that great weekend of you, know traditional. Matchups who cares outside of the state Of kentucky about this game right? Now nobody does because they're busy looking at all those other great. Matchups it got. Lost and you, Know i'm not a bright, person but that is exactly WHAT i. Predicted this game is gonna get lost among all of those big. Games so now go back to the first week when you're the only game in, town maybe that night or that, afternoon and all of college football is looking in On kentucky And. Louisville it just makes too much sense said correct.
Speaker 11: It actually it's been the last game Since louisville joined THE, acc WHICH i think was what Four.
Speaker 4: Yeah But louisville has still wanted it on opening. Day It's kentucky that didn't want it. There And i've always felt gary like it was an advantage For louisville because WITH, uk with all due respect to THE, acc WITH uk working through THE, sec you're gonna have a lot more lumps and bruises at the end of the year going through that. Schedule and you will right now A acc, schedule no.
Speaker 11: Doubt forth Swig and while we're talking college, football what's With Nick saban Bending trump's healed up ear about nil money and how those deals are hurting college, sports never mind how much the coaches rake, in especially with the buyout.
Speaker 3: Clauses we got to do something about these damn.
Speaker 4: Kids.
Speaker 11: Okay trump's administration is thinking about an executive order increasing scrutiny of the explosion and payments to college. Athletes according To Wall Street, journal what does all that gobbledygook? Mean who knows first he wants to Pardon Pete? Rose now this just butt, out. Man The house VERSUS ncaa settlement is going to get approved any day. Now so my question, is why Would saban waste The president's time on some sidebar stuff that'll probably end up in a court of law again.
Speaker 4: Anyway because he, Can BECAUSE i Think saban in some ways fancies himself and is now the conscience of college football given the platform he has FROM. Espn and you, remember and you talked about this a week or two, ago he tried to pressure college football into changing the rules so teams couldn't play so quickly at the line of scrimmage and that fell. Flat, well what, Happened saban changed the way he played his team and they ended up being very successful with. It BUT i just think he likes being front and. Center he's probably A trump, supporter and it's something Else trump can get out there in front of and distract people from the destruction that he's wreaking. Elsewhere, agreed fifth swig.
Speaker 11: Stay in college football for a. Second Imagine, dick if you, will a hotshot quarterback drafted in the first round by The, colts and this big man on campus also wore in college number. Nineteen so he, Says i'm going to ask This united, guy whoever he, is if he'll retire his number SO i.
Speaker 3: Can continue my brilliance is number.
Speaker 11: Nineteen, well then you kind of can imagine what went Through hall Of Famer Lawrence taylor's mind when The giants number one draft punk pick. Pick Abduall carter asked to Where taylor's retired number fifty, six not even playing it down yet in THE nfl normally balls that big are Chasing Indiana. Jones of, Course taylor, said get your own number and make it. Famous and the other number he wanted the one he wore At Penn state number. Eleven oh, Sorry. Charlie Louisville's Phil simms had that one, retired but was willing to unretire it Until phil's family thankfully vetoed that. Idea But phil's a good guy to, offer just Like Joe namath was a good guy to offer up his number retired number twelve To Aaron rodgers remember when he came to the Jetsah and to his, Credit aaron, declined out of respect To Broadway Joe, dick retired numbers should stay, retired, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir And Abdull, carter here's the. Deal if you want that, number especially In carter's, situation you should have to stand from center nose to. Nose maybe not that close With Lawrence. Taylor, HEY i want your, number AND i want your, blessing AND i want it. Now i'd pay to see. That AND i was about to, say and please have the cameras, rolling oh, man because his head may be rolling down the. Street it's these kids, Today, Gary and you got to, WONDER i Hope i've due A. Carter knew Who Lawrence taylor. WAS i, mean he was only the greatest linebacker in the history of the. Game he reinvented the position and made it possible for. GUYS i Got Dull carter to play the position the way he does and make the money he's about to. Make and then they have the nerve to stand in. There tell me a Young cincinnati read who's gonna come to camp make the team and, say you, KNOW i really love.
Speaker 11: Fourteen, yeah ball's that big or floating in outer, SPACE i.
Speaker 4: Think, yeah you're. Right they've got their own.
Speaker 11: Orbits our sixth and final, SWIG Nbc sports announced they're going to use AN ai generated voice a FORMER nba narrator and by the, Way West virginia Alum Jim fagan for elements of their coverage and their promos when they get the association back on the network This. October How figan passed away in twenty seventeen had great. PIPES i, mean go back on YouTube and look up some of the stuff he's.
Speaker 3: Done he's got that.
Speaker 11: Voice well you'll know it when you hear it again if you're not familiar with anybody. Listening BUT i have to ask, you what kind of a computerized can of worms does this open? Up how close are we this is not too ridiculous to think about. This how close are we to say A Vin SCULLY ai voice not just doing, promos but calling a Live dodgers, game or even closer to, Home, dick what if you fed video into a program and you got AN ai play by play From Kwood ledford on the FIVE uk. Game don't tell me it couldn't. Happen we got a man on the moon several. Times the possibilities are.
Speaker 4: Spooky a man on the, moon if you say. So we had a math teacher At trinity who at least acted like you didn't believe. It, oh that was all done In, arizona you, know you, know and you worked In La La land for most of your. Career the artists, themselves the, actors the, writers voiceover, artists they are so locked in against this as well they should. Be this will be. Terrible and as you were talking About Vince, scully it made me, UNDERSTAND i guarantee. It there's somebody out there right now working on that course of, course and they tried to do, that and they use it still in some. Cases, similarly, defeed information about ball games a new computer and the computer spits out a game. Story they've been. TERRIBLE i can only hope this will be terrible.
Speaker 11: Too you can always, tell, well, oh you'll never have a phone in your, pocket and That Dick tracy on that watch that he's talking on the, phone doesn't forget that's all cartoon stuff that will never, happen.
Speaker 4: You know what that's for the twenty first. Century, Hello Gary moore is Our Western bureau. Chief we'll come back with some hot reasons just a minute here on six point THIRTY. Wlap welcome. Back we're talking with Our Western bureau, Chief Gary. Moore he has presented two guys in a six. Pack come for a couple of hot. Rains gary from the courtrooms Of. America more. Nonsense there is one hundred million dollar lawsuit in play, now brought not By Shador, sanders but by a fan who goes By John doe says he's a dedicated fan of The Colorado buffaloes suing The National Football league on behalf Of Shador, sanders wanting a formal acknowledgment from the league regarding emotional distress caused by actions and statements About sanders that dropped him in the draft of the fifth. Round they want a retraction of slanderous statements quote, unquote an apology for any harm. Caused it was rep, uh implementation of fair practices in the drafting. Process please what does that? Mean and any additional remedies keeping the door open that the court deems, appropriate including compensatory. Damages my question to you, is what's the over and under on how quickly this is. Dismissed you think they toss? It did he handback the papers with coffee stains on it to the attorneys or do they waste the taxpayer's money and spend time talking about this.
Speaker 11: NONSENSE i think taxpayer money is gonna get wasted somewhere down the. Line but let me let me get back to you with the question of my Own why is It John? Doe why Doesn't dion just use his real? Name come, on who else could it? Be who else could it be to file something stupid like? This whould get? Hurt wh would get butt? Hurt over all?
Speaker 4: This that's, fair that's a fair.
Speaker 11: Question oh, YEAH i can't believe. It, well of, COURSE i was just gonna, SAY i can't believe a lawyer would take this. Case but some of the Lawyers i've known over my, life it's not.
Speaker 4: Surprising oh, yeah that's that's Their their fifteen seconds on THE. Espn our second odd rate is About Bill, belichick the noted. Author he was at a book signing up In New. York there was no sign Of Jordan, hudson his twenty four year old. GIRLFRIEND i got no problem with the age. Difference look good for, you good For that's. Fine if that, works go. Ahead BUT i find it really fascinating that he has basically benched her when it comes to her being sort of a pr go between thanks to THAT Cbs Sunday morning. Debacle when everybody who cares about this story knows how they met and she jumped In. Gary is this the biggest benching For belichick since he Promoted Tom.
Speaker 11: BRADY i think it. Is that's a good that's a good. QUESTIONED i have a feeling it may not. Stick something's gonna. Happen she seems to be a very forceful force of nature in his.
Speaker 4: Life you.
Speaker 11: Know i'm just reminded of That Glenn close line To Michael douglas In Fatal. Attraction i'm not gonna be ignored, Here. Dan something tells me, that in the back of my, mind that's gonna something like that is gonna pop up here in their relationship at some. Point i'm and what would have Hurt bill to have worn a shirt with actual buttons on it when he did that? Interview what the hell was?
Speaker 1: That you?
Speaker 4: Know the consolation prize for her is her real estate business or whatever it is she's got, going which evidently is now worth since she started seeing, him in excess of eight million. Dollars. Nice so if she can't come along to the book, signing she can sit back and balance her checkbook right.
Speaker 3: As he balances her on a.
Speaker 4: Beach, yeah very, well, put very very very, good very. Nice uh, WELL i think we've covered. Everything my thanks to you for your time as always thank.
Speaker 3: You where are we ON?
Speaker 11: X i'm at nine to five to Five, Gary where the hell are?
Speaker 4: You i'm still a Big blue. Insider. One thank, You, shart talk to you next. Week you got. It you, know WHEN i think back on THE uku OF l football, SERIES i was impressed With curry And, schnellenberger as frank as they, were when they talked about playing the game on the opening weekend when most coaches would love to have a marshmallow there so you, can you, know see what you've got with your, team you, know figure out what's what if you've got any injuries you need to get. Through but they specifically talked about the fact that and they said it with, respect but they were tired of spending the summer hearing people either on the radio or talking on television or whatever in the grocery store aisles talking ABOUT uk basketball. Recruiting and of, course back then both basketballs were doing very, well and, we're you, know nationally, iconic and why wouldn't we talk about as talk show, hosts as fans, Recruiting because when it came to, football there wasn't much to talk. About you, KNOW u OF l was going to open with Whoever kentucky was going to, open probably all due respect with A mac team or somebody they knew they could. Handle but, man when they put that game, together all of that changed. Instantly fans went at each, other sniping at each other in a fun way and in a stupid way. Sometimes but we in the hype, business we had so much more energy around the opening of college football, season which is WHY i loved. It So i'm Glad gary brought it. Up that's, it good night from the garage And.
Speaker 6: Lexingo mama says that alligate is an ownerary because they got all.
Speaker 1: Emptied but no, toothbrus.
Speaker 8: Such, sect such, station the tactics doing anything to SATs anything can the canlack then from, type don't do