Speaker 1: Horizon Talk Radio online from the Highlands of Scotland. We are voices from around the world, the best talk on your number one talk radio station either Horizon Talk Radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if everyone welcome. Today's guest is Tim Physically is a hypnotist at Britain's Fastest Hypnotist. Dot com is his website and Tim's here today to discuss hypnotism. Obviously I'll tease him with the first question, but it's not so much teasing him and welcome to show anyway. Tim, It's more to do with my brain, you know, for why can't you do that like that? And we'll explain so Qush actually the other day and when I emailed you, Tim, why can't you actually hypnotize? People live there? Because psychics do stuff and other people do stuff. And I found it interesting because it was very real, you know, and it actually worked for me, not the hypnotist, but the other stuff. I guess you've got laws.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it's all to do with the peculiar laws that surround hypnosis, which varies from country to country. In some countries you can't even practist, you know, it's just illegal. In this country. Fortunately, it's okay. We can do it, but there is the laws on where you can and cannot practice hypnosis a bit there's sort of strange and arcane, and they go back a long way to I think as a nineteen fifty three hypnotism actor was the first one, but there's been various amendments to it since then. And so you can't do something like a hypnotic and doctrine on a on a live but well, I don't think you can include it in a broadcast. There's there's just rules about what you can and you can't do, and it's one of the things you're not allowed to do.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I was just thinking if I needed your help, you know, and we'll go into the rapid deep hypnosis in a bit. I'm just thinking, you know, I've found it with my problem, and I've only got one option. I can't visit you in a clinic where you could take care of me if you know there was a problem with what you did. But you know, I want to do it over the phone line. I mean, technically that's the same thing as being in front of an audience, isn't It's still over the phone line.
Speaker 3: No, it's not. It's about it like the way is that the way the law works, it's to do with it being broadcast to an audience, So.
Speaker 2: No, you can't.
Speaker 3: But there are there are big problems with doing hypnosis sober the likes of phone on skull anyway, because really from a sort of care of the client perspective, really you need to be in the same rumors them because you want to make sure they're okay. Things. If you're doing things online, if you get a drop connection, obviously, then you've gotten You've got no way of monitoring what's going on. You've got no way of speaking to somebody, and if they're in a deep state of hypnosis, what are you going to do so it? Yeah, I think there are some hypnotherapists who do do hypnosis online. I'm not one of them, but and that's sort of the reason why. It's because it's just not an ideal way to go about it in case you get things like a drop connection or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because I mean I can just imagine that, you know, and then the person, because of the way they are a whole feeling, you can't get back to them and hypanetize them. So that, yeah, that's why we have laws obviously. Yeah, So I'll read a bit better you bio out because I should have done that first. Tim uses a rapid deep hypnosis and other fascinating tools which will tell us about soon to end addictions, trauma, fixed relationship problems, and change lives. You can see reviews and video clips on his website, which again is Britain's fastest hypnosis dot com. He's been featured in The Natural Press Radio TV and it'll probably tell us that he actually was involved in Area Grande concert with the h therapy afterwards to the people of that. So yeah, I've only just sort of read a brief But tell us what is rapid then the rapid deep hypnosis. What's the difference between the different techniques?
Speaker 3: I guess okay, uh, well, the what I call rapid, I would say, is probably about ninety seconds. Anything under two minutes I think is rapid, and that's to get the kind of state where you can elicit genuinely hypnotic phenomena. And one of the things that I do. If anybody goes to britains pasatipnatist dot com and looks at the videos on there, what you notice is that the typically with kids when they come to see me I'm doing certain things before i start any work of therapeutic work. I'm checking to make sure I've got the hypnotic statement and that that we're well placed to do things that are actually genuinely useful. So I like to stick people's hands to their head, stick them to the chair, those sorts of things which you cannot do unless you've a genuine hypnotic state. So and so, in terms of rapid what I'm talking about is maybe sixty ninety seconds to get to that from nothing. And that's a bit different from the way most other hypnotherapists go about it, because typically they will use sort of very slow relaxational inductions for hypnosis and they can last twenty minutes, half an hour before they get anywhere. So it's you know, it's strikingly different. And one of the things that actually I find interesting about it is clients seem to prefer it that they like to know that, oh, actually this is hypnosis, but this is not just relaxation, and it's one of the reasons that I like to do that for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense because if you wanted relaxation classes, you would go somewhere they didn't. If you wanted it affair for a Pacific cause, you know, whether it be PDSD or other reasons. I think it's a bit like having a job, because you'd want the job now, and then you know, because I just want to be fixed. I'm not here for them. I can relax when I get home. You know, you want the fixed, an't you kind of thing you want to try and get real problem?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. Sorry. And the the other thing that another reason why I like to work that way is because many people are not very good at relaxing. And you know, if somebody's if somebody comes in and they're really stressed out and feel intense and they're anxious about everything, asking them to relax is not necessarily going to be the easiest thing in the world. You know, if they could relax easily, they wouldn't be coming to see you in the first place. So there's there's various different aspects to it, but there are really good reasons for doing things quickly. But like I said, what really surprised me was when I started working in that way, the clients actually sent to for bu.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to be skeptical now because you know, that's what it's all about we're discussing the work of a hypnotherapist. How does it actually work? Then? So you're going to you know, I'm just thinking, I'm coming to you now. I've got very bad problems because I had problems as a child in care. You know, I was abused different ways. I've got probably got post traumatic stress in a bad way. And you know, I've lived with this forty years, maybe fifty years that some people have lived with longer. But do they become a lot better the first session or does it take several sessions or it is a kind of no fixing them properly? But it managed you managed to live with it after coming to you.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's a lot of questions there. Can you fix them properly? As an interesting one, probably the best way to think about that is if you were to get a piece of paper and you screwed it up into a ball, you'd wrinkle the paper up and you could smooth that paper out, but what you'd never do is be able to get rid of all the wrinkles. So, and it's sort of similar, so you could, so, yes, very often you can straighten things out, but what you can't do is get rid of the wrinkles. Yeah, and you wouldn't necessarily want to either, because if somebody has been through a sort of very traumatic past, what you wouldn't want to do is to erase all memory of that, because that firstly, that is their past and it belongs to them. But secondly, if you undertake to remove things like memories, then how on earth is that person going to protect themselves from the same thing happening again. If somebody has recollections of the.
Speaker 4: Things that have happened to at least they can go against. So usually it's a case of.
Speaker 3: Changing somebody's changing the way somebody relates to reality. Are you quite happy to have a long answer, because because I'm quite happy to give you a longish answer, and I'll make I'll do the best to make it interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, The longer answers make people understand better, don't they?
Speaker 3: Right? Okay, fair enough, Well, one of the things you asked was like, you know, can it be done really quickly if somebody has had it for a long time. The answer is yes, under certain circumstances and for certain reasons. I mean, you could ask most people what shape the earth is, and most people would say it's a ball, and then you could say, okay, well, let's suppose it's not a ball. Let's suppose it's shaped like an ice cream cone, like a ninety nine or something like that, and that all you ever see is the round end. You never see the point end, because if NASA or the other space agencies showed you that instantly, all the funding is going to disappear, and people would be like, well, you know, what are those clowns that NASA playing at. We know it's not that shape. But let's also suppose we could shoot you up into space and you could look down on the Earth and see the pointy end with your own eyes. The question is, even though you've got a lifetime of programming which has taught you one thing, how long would it take for you to change your opinion about the shape of the Earth. And the reality is you could do that in an instant, So it doesn't really matter how long somebody's had something that the human brain is perfectly capable of unlearning things if they if they're shown to be incorrect, and it can it can unlearn anything. So if somebody's carrying around all sorts of problems, those are things that they have learned as they've gone through life, or maybe they learned it from some traumatic experience or our sequence of traumatic experience. Those things can be unlearned in exactly the same way that you can unlearn other things. And so what we're really dealing with is what I call the model of reality, because when people interact with the world and have feelings about themselves or about other people, what they're actually reacting to is not reality. It's reality as they perceive it, as they understand it. And everybody understands reality in a different way. That's why if you go on Twitter, you can you can get involved in any conversation and you'll find that people have very, very different opinions about it, and that's because they're all modeling reality in different ways. So in order to correct problems for people, you're not changing anything about them. All you're doing is using hypnosis and other tools in order to change the way that person models reality. And if you can do that, then you can reshape their entire experience of life. If that's what you want to do.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean a lot of people will want their problems solved when they quickly rather than later. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, actually, it's very often better to do it quickly because if again, if you think about it, the things that affect you the most profoundly and the most deeply are typically not things that took a long time to happen. They're usually things that happened quickly. So in terms of what's the best way to go about solving things, it's typically best to do it. What would be example, Okay, somebody could go in and out of London on the train every day they're commuting to work, you know, they say, they're reading the newspaper, all the rest of it. Then one day the tray there's a train accident, it comes off the tracks or collides with another train. People can become traumatized in second and the results of that would be very very profound. So if the human brain can do something like that very very quickly in a bad way, going from feeling relaxed and happy to traumatized and everything's upsetting me, all the rest of it, then it's firstly, it's obvious that it's perfectly capable of doing it in reverse because the same amount of rewiring is required, that's all. And secondly, it's probably best to do it quickly because that seems to be the way the human mind works. Does that make sense because.
Speaker 2: A lot of people with these traumas the last thing they want to do. It depends on the situation, you know, health trauma problem with health might be different to somebody who's got PTSD, seen a bum or you know, they had to train crash or they've been a booze in children's homes. They're different levels, I guess, but I'd certainly agree that it's Yeah, my point. Sorry I've gone the wrong way. My point I was trying to make. I think they wouldn't want to do this several times because the worst thing is keep remembering what why you're there? You know, why am we going out to the counsel of the fair hypnosis? You know? They don't want to remember that. They want to literally raise everything, and most people want to do it quickly. I mean I know I would. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing is it makes sense to do it quickly, like I said, partly because of the way our own minds work, but secondly it is just the logical way to go about it. If if people go from feeling fine to being traumatized quickly, and that's typically the way it happens, it makes no sense to put somebody in two years of therapy for that, because if the the best way to solve things is to use is to exploit the same mechanisms that change people in the first place in order to change them back. So that's basically my sort of fundamental approach is how did this in the first place? What must have happened, What sources of information, what streams of information were going into this person's mind and changed to happen to them in the first place, didn't so I end up in this date. Okay, If that's the case, then how do we do that in reverse? And that's it's it's very, very different from the sort of traditional way of going about solving things where I mean, there was a fire in kings Tross station years ago, I think it was King's Cross and I was sat watching the television and they were talking to people who'd had like two and three years of counseling after that, and I literally could not understand it, because if somebody is taking two or three years to solve a problem like that, then clearly they're going about it the wrong way. It just doesn't make sense because it ignores the way people's minds actually work.
Speaker 2: Well. My negative response to that would be the whoever's trying to solve these poor people's problems, they're just doing it for the money. On that occasion, because even these well I guess they're called rapid counselors, rapid counselors a bit similar to what you do in the hypnosis, Even the counselors, because I've been to one for a reason and they actually say that we prefer to see you over the shorter period rather than the longer one because it doesn't have an effect after so many weeks. I think it's six weeks. Oh and of course the funding is not always good after that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I think if somebody has puts it, at least puts a limit on the amount of time that they're going to spend with somebody, I think that's a good thing. My way of doing hypnosis is under normal circumstances, not during COVID because things are having to be worked on slightly differently, but they are under normal circumstances. My approach tonosis is a single session for anything that includes. For years I specialized in straightening out bulimia nervosa and anorexia. Most recently i've been doing lots of work on chronic alcohol conditions because of a book that a lady wrote, Who Saw Me, which is on Amazon. And again, those things are all undertaken in a single session, but there's a big difference between a single session for chronic alcoholism and a single session for a spider phobia. If it was a spiderphobia, I'd expect to have that straightened out in maybe sixty minutes, But with chronic alcohol I'm devoting most of an entire day. So even though it's a single session, it's it's a single long, intensive session for certain things. And that's it's just because for some things there is a lot of work to do. And the example that you gave of somebody who's had, you know, countless different traumas, all sorts of problems. Their life's been a bit of a train wreck, So there can be a lot to straighten out if you're going to help a person who's been in that kind of situation, and that's very different from somebody whose life has been fairly straightforward but who's experienced a single traumatic event, And the two things are completely different, so they require they may require different approaches, but also the amount of time that's required could be very different. One of the reasons why I work in that way goes back to when I was working on eating disorders, which initially because years ago I was working in a way which is very similar to the way ollther hypnotherapists worked, and it was I do maybe an hour and a half one weeek and an hour and a half the next. But when I started working on eating disorders, I began to attract people from further and further afield, and I had people lying in from Thailand and Egypt, which if you're in the northeast of England is really quite something for a hypnotherapist, and there's no way under those circumstances that you can have them come back every week. So I started rolling everything up into one session, and what I discovered was is actually better in terms of outcomes, because if you do things and you break it into separate sessions, then you've got the sort of one step forward, two step backs types and types in O or two steps forward, one step back, hopefully where somebody will managed to undo some of the progress that they've made between sessions. If you've got somebody, you know they're bombs on the seat in front of you, and you've got them there for the entire day. There's no opportunity for that to happen. So it's actually a much more efficient way to work. It can be exhausting, but in terms of is it best, in terms of if somebody is really in a mess, it's typically the best way to do it in my experience, which is how I ended up working in this way.
Speaker 2: Yes, so just typically, then what does the session involve? I mean, you know, I'm just talking from layman's terms. Yeah, I'm imagining. Then you sit me down somewhere or I lay down, whatever the case may be, and then you sort of put me into this state of half awake, half of sleep. I call it because I'm sure that you must know what's going on technically with your eyes, but maybe the rest of your mind is somewhere else. I'm just this is from somebody who doesn't know anything about this. So what actually happens? And how do you go on to cur them? Is it what you say? What you do? Yeah? That kind of okay?
Speaker 3: All right, Well again there's in some way questions.
Speaker 1: Makes it not.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: The typical way that I go about things is first when somebody post arrives in the other then I will give them a brief explanation of what hypnosis is and how their own mind works. And typically I'll relate that to the problem that they're coming to me because they want to solve it. Occasionally I get to work on things where people are just looking to improve things, but normally it's a problem that brings somebody to my door. So I'll give them an explanation of how their own mind works and what suggestions is all about, and how hypnotis changes things. And then, like I said, what I'll typically do is give them a demonstration. And the demonstration for me is a test to make sure that I've got that I can get the kind of state that I want whereby their genuinely responsive to suggestion. And like I say, so, typically for me, I like to lock people's eyes shut. I like to stick their hands to their head. I like to glue their feet to the floor, stick them and them to the chair. Sometimes I'll offer them money to get out of the chair, so that what I'm doing there is testing for myself that yes, this is hypnosis and this person is somebody that I know I can work with using these methods, and secondly for that for that person, then they don't question whether it's hypnosis. But all I'm using is words. I am actually sort of hands on as a hypnotherapist or I like, you know, I'm lifting people's arms and so forth. But it's with words, and words are incredibly powerful, and it's only because words are powerful that you can have things like education systems. In terms of what is hypnosis, you can think of it as a kind kind of relaxed concentration. So what I'm talking about is describing reality to somebody not in a way that it is not rejected, and as long as it's accepted, then somebody models reality in that way and it becomes their experience of reality because they live inside the model. And that's basically what I'm talking about.
Speaker 6: So if somebody has believed about black holes, for example, they've got no experience of a black hole, but most people would say, well, it's a hole in space.
Speaker 3: And you know, they've seen Brian Cox come on the television with his flashy graphics and wow, this is what a black hole does and things get sucked into it and all the rest of it, and most people will quite happily believe that even though they've never seen it, they're never going to see one. They have no way of validating it or checking it. Even though if they go out into the garden and they dig a big hole in the garden, they can't put a hole inside the hole. Their experience tells them that they can't have a hole inside a hole. And yet when Brian Cox comes on the television and tells people that this is true, they will absolutely believe it. Now, some people would say, ah, but it's all about this bending and warping of space time. Well, when did you or I ever experience space and time being bent or warped? That has also been suggested to them. As long as they believe it, they will believe what's being said. This is the whole basis of education. That the only reason schools work and colleges and wedgure theaters is because we are all suggestible. And so what hypnosis does is it's basically it's heightening that level of suggestibility that we all have in the first place, using very specific methods in order to describe reality in a different way so that somebody can view reality in a different way the world around them, whether it's scary, whether it's not scary, so that they can view themselves in a different way, usually a better way, that they might view some kind of substance in a different way than the way they were before. But it's been suggested to them to do that, and so it's a bit like it's a bit like education, and that's that's one of the things that really people find a bit peculiar about it because they expect hypnosis to be this strange altered state where they won't remember anything and they'll be it's like they've been, you know, knocked out, fast, asleep all the rest of it. When somebody is in deep state of hypnosis, they are one hundred percent aware of what's going on. They typically remember everything that was said, and you know, they can't be controlled. But what you did have is a doorway through which you can suggest different ways of looking at things or experiencing things in a way which their mind can incorporate into their understanding of reality itself. But it's no different really from what typically happens in the real world. You know that somebody might explain something to you on the television, or you may bee sat watching a Ted talk on YouTube and it gets you to think about things in a different way. That's basically the same thing. It's just imagine that, but very very carefully designed to steer your mind in a particular direction, but also having taken steps to open up the your and to heighten your level of suggestibility so that practically nothing gets rejected and it all goes in. So you could argue that children are in a state of hypnosis when they're sitting in a classroom listening to a teacher describing what anatom is and how it works and all the rest of it, and to an extent, that would be correct. Yes they are, but it's not a deep state of hypnosis. It's like a light state of hypnosis. And so the difference really isn't about heightening somebody's suggestibility, but it's about exploiting mechanisms that are already there and putting them to genuinely useful purposes.
Speaker 2: I was actually thinking at that point when you mentioned the children in the classroom, I remember if I'm interested in the subject. When I was at school, I do remember feeling, you know, kind of yeah, that's good, And to this very day I remember what was told to me because you know, I remembered it. You know, I was interested in it, but then became a time where if it was something you didn't like, that hypnosis stay became sleep because you were so bored with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're absolutely right about that. And if you think about this, suppose it was a lesson that you didn't like, right, and you're told at the start of the lesson that you're going to be tested when you get to the end if you pay attention or if you fall asleep. Those are the two choices, and you get a test at the end with which way you're going to get the best result on the test. You're going to get the best result if you stay awake and you listen and you focus and you concentrate the one the child who falls asleep is going to do very badly on the test. So there's this idea that hypnosis is like sleep, and and absolutely it's not, because if somebody just falls asleep, you're not going to get very far with them. So it's the best way to think of it is as as a kind of relaxed concentration. And when you were talking about the lessons that you enjoyed, you would have been feeling relaxed in those lessons, but you would also have been concentrating and absorbing information. So it's a very very similar thing, and that you brought that off is actually very helpful because it's perhaps a good way for people to understand it.
Speaker 2: There's also another question. This might be a bit of a teaser, So if if you can do that yourself, sorry, now the other way around, if you can do it with you hypnosis, why can't you actually do that yourself? And then the next bit I was going to bring in to compliment that is about the audio recordings that you know, the pst C therapy.
Speaker 3: Well, actually we can talk about those, but well, why can't you do it yourself? What you can, but you need to go about it in the right way, and most people don't and most books on self hypnosis are just wrong. And that's the only way to put it. The thing is, the way hypnosis works is I'll try and explain it as briefly as I can and as succinctly as I can. When somebody says something to you, doesn't matter what it is. Typically what you'll do is you will and you'll be doing it now as I talk talk to and explain this. Typically when somebody explains something to you, you'll wrap your conscious mind around it and you'll pull it apart in order to see whether it makes sense. Now, if you decide that it does make sense, then your conscious mind allows that information to pass back to your subconscious mind, so your subconscious mind can update the model of reality, because you don't know how to do that consciously. If, however, your conscious mind says, nah, I'm not having that. I don't That just doesn't jive with me, you know, it doesn't square with my understanding of reality, then you'll reject it. But that piece of information is still passed back to your subconscious mind because that's where your long term memory is handled and so forth. But by now it's got a flag in it he says, don't do an update. So at that point nothing happens. Your beliefs don't change. So what you really need to do is to bypass the conscious mind, because it's the conscious mind that really it acts like a guardian, basically deciding what comes in and what doesn't. And so when somebody suggests something to you, your conscious mind does this sort of filter, works, this sort of filtering magic on things. But the only way you can filter information is based on the beliefs you've already got, so if you are if somebody gives you a suggestion and it's completely at odds with the beliefs you already have, then typically you'll reject it and nothing will change in the way you model reality. If, however, somebody gives you a suggestion and you don't reject it, then your subconscious mind will do has always done, which is to do an update to the model of reality, and then you start to see things differently. So hypnosis is about sidestepping that filter mechanism, which is called the critical faculty of a conscious mind. And if you think about it, if you try to do self hypnosis, then typically what you're doing is suggesting new ways of looking at things or feeling about things to yourself, but you've already decided you don't agree with them when you start. So typically what will happen is people will just filter those suggestions and they don't get anywhere. The other thing that sometimes people will do is try a sort of relaxed version of self hypnosis, where you know, they try to relax, relact, relax, relax, relax, and they don't give them self suggestions. But at that point, their conscious mind isn't really capable of delivering the suggestions that they need because it's become self relaxed. So there are finding a navigating a path through that to make self hypnosis effective. It can be done, but it's not very straightforward, so there are ways to do it. But that's typically why self hypnosis isn't very effective when it's gone about in certain ways because either somebody's relaxed their conscious mind to the point where they're not given them self suggestions or the kinds of suggestions that would be useful. Or secondly, their conscious mind isn't relaxed, but they've given them self suggestions they disagree with, so they just filter them out. And it's avoiding that scenario that is the challenge when it comes to self hypnosis. There's one reason why it's helpful to see somebody else because if you work with somebody else, you know, if you go and see a hypnotherapist, they can, you know, they can decide what's going to be the most effective kind of suggestion for this person to receive. And they can also help somebody to reach a point where they are where they become highly suggestible, where things can be suggested, which are odds with the way that person currently models reality, and so that that's why a two person process is often more effective than somebody trying to hypnotize themselves. Hopefully that's makes sense.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, we don't uprate on ourselves, really do we. So it's probably better to have these things done by the profession rather than yourself, because I guess I no fair, it's like yourself. It's probably possible you could do it to yourself because you've had the expertise, but anybody else probably should go to yourself rather than trying it themselves. Well, I don't.
Speaker 3: I mean that certainly, when hypnotherapists want help, very often they'll consult all the hypnotherapists rather than trying to help themselves. And I've worked with many hypnotherapists. Yeah, They've asked to come and see me, and I've I've worked on problems for them. And the reason for that, I think is basically that if somebody has a problem, they are expert in having that problem. They clearly aren't expert in solving it for themselves, otherwise they would have done it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's true. You don't go to the doctor d for a fix your problem. If you can go to the chemist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thing, their problem, but they're experts in having a problem.
Speaker 2: Just briefly tell us about the the interactive audio record and then that you try.
Speaker 3: To Okay, yeah, well the actually what it's probably best I tell you about the PTSD study because that's you know, it hasn't been reported in the press in this country and quite why I for the life of that, I don't understand it. But I designed a way of correcting PTSD using an audio process and some time ago it was this was picked up by well it came to the awareness of a neuroscience clinic in South America, of all places, which is a long way away from the northeast of England, but it's probably the most respected neuroscience clinic and that part of the world, and they've got an international reputation. But it's a combination. They're staffed by neuroscientists and psychiatrists and they did a pilot study on this treatment for PTSD that I designed, and they shortly before Christmas they published the results of the pilot study, so this went into the scientific press. The results though really really surprised them because every single person on the study improved. So everybody understudies started out with the clinical diagnosis of post traumatic stress disorder, which typically is something which is long and slow to straighten out. And in this country, the two methods for doing that that the NHS proposes and funds are counseling. There's oh, actually there's cognitive behavioral therapy, and also something called EMDR, but in terms of sessions, it's a lot of sessions. What the clinic in Mexico were trialing was an audio way of doing this that I created, designed and they did a half hour intervention with each participant. No therapist was required, and the half our intervention worked for every single participant in terms of reducing their PTSD for most of them, it was just very significantly reduced. For a third of the participants in the study just that half hour, the result was sufficient that they no longer qualified for a PTSD diagnosis, so that they were considered to be completely cure. So the Nearest clinic has been working on a much bigger study which is apparently also awaiting publication. But I've been told that the results are basically the same. It's just that it's it was done even more rigorously and with much much greater number of people. But those tools are available. Am I allowed to say where those tools are available? Are not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just keep advertising anything that helps people. That's while we're here.
Speaker 3: Those tools are available through through a mind technologies company which is based in the UK called Orpheous Mind Technologies. And if anybody has suffered any if anybody's listening and they've suffered any kind of trauma orvieous mind technology orfeous as in the sort of Greek mythological character or orvieous mind technologies, have those available. Anybody can download them. There are a couple of NHS trials already agree because of the results that have been had, and Orpheous are also collaborating with the likes of Imperial College and a couple of other universities because of the just the quality of outcome that's been had. So we you know, we're surprised that it hasn't made the press because that it is completely unheard of this but that's what the scientists have said having tested it. And that's also my experience because you know, obviously we talked about me doing things rapidly and in my sessions. I designed these tools because there are things that are tricky to do with hypnosis and sometimes it's useful to have tools to plug those gaps. So when people see me in person, it's a combination, you know, typically in a session is a combination of hypnosis and the tools that Orpheous have made available to the public. So that's one of the reasons that I'm able to get results quickly. So in many ways, the I am really fortunate because not only have I got access to these amazing tools, but also over the years, I've become very adept at hypnosis, and it's that's a powerful combination. But the PTSD thing is, you know, it's something I'm very, very proud of, but I would like to see it being picked up by the likes of the military and so forth. And actually, at the end of COVID, there are going to be so many people suffering from all sorts of different kinds of post traumatic stress.
Speaker 2: Exactly. I kind of know a lot of I know a lot of war veteran societies, and I've had some big well not not in the last couple of years, but between me and the people I know, we probably know the biggest Society PTSD in this country. So we need to show like this, you know, and maybe another one to kind of you know, once the show's done, I'll put it out to them and I tell what I've noticed. Though. You may be the creative of PSTC therapy, but there's ten pages of Google now people doing the same thing.
Speaker 3: Well no, not people doing the same thing. And I think that's really that that I think is really important. It's a really important distinction to make because there are things that may look or sound similar, but they definitely aren't. And the difference is that this has been scientifically validated completely independently. You know, the only the only involved that I had in that study was providing the tools, explaining how they should be used, and then the neuroscientists set to work with them. So it is completely fully independent. So it's it's a proper genuine third party verification by scientists. So because anybody could make a claim and yeah, it may be that there are other things that work well, but that that I think is the difference. And like I said, you know, the the NHS, we have at least fortunately got some NHS trials agreed. Although COVID has got in the way with that a bit. But like I said, these kinds of things are going to be important because so many people will have been traumatized because of COVID in all sorts of different ways. There is no way that there would be sufficient number of therapists to deal with to deal with them all. So it's going to have whatever solution is eventually decided upon, it's going to have to be something that doesn't require a lot of therapist involvement because there just aren't that many therapists. But there are going to be huge numbers of people when we go, when we come out of the pandemic situation that qualify for these PTSD diagnoses. You know, people working in the emergency services, people working in the police, people working you know, all over the place. People are having to deal with things that they've never had to deal with before, and stress can be cumulative. So you know, the people are already talking about a mental health you know, mental health sort of disaster explosion because they can see it in the pipeline and there are the NHS has got places where the number of calls that they're getting is you know, it's gone up like two and three hundred percent and I'm sure that the same is true of mind and various other plates, the various other bodies that the undertake to help people with mental health issues. Once everything's over, then it's really going to hit people. So at the moment, we're probably at the eye in the storm. You'll know sometimes if sometimes, if something's going on, you might run on adrenaline, and it's not until after things, after things have sort of calmed down, that it really hits people what's happened. So I think it is probable that we will see this mental health crisis really explode, and whatever can be done to help people, it's going to be it's going to be important because the NHS is going to have to start looking at other things because they just aren't the number of therapists to do it otherwise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I must have met my wife said that a need for PTSD treatment. They won't officially diagnose it because as was the childhood trauma. When she was young, she was raped in a care home and they we you know, we as the people that are married to such victims, we think, you know, you know, severe trauma of course, but it's also we think PTSD because it's that rapid shock of child experienced and what they experienced and then suddenly being phone you know, kind of phone out to dry on their own. And we also know that talking to survivors of this really bad problem, the cognitive behavioral FAIRP isn't really I mean I'm not an expert, but they think it's not the right thing. And even if it was the six eight months minimum, to wait probably for years in certain areas of Scotland. I mean, we're lucky to have a good you know, mental health services up here, but you know, I think a tool like you own, from what I've read, seems so quickly, you know, you don't have to necessarily rely on the fair pest to be available all the time, where you know, your doctor could say, look, this is what you do and this is how you do it, and wouldn't that be better than waiting months and years for seeing people?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well absolutely I agree with you. And I've got a colleague who works in the Northwest of England who's actually working in schools using these tools, and he what he's found is that he's working with children for all sorts of things, and very often it's various different kinds of trauma and they've either got a huge waiting list to get in and see cams, which is the sort of children's sort of the mental health body. Most children are directed towards cams if they've got any kind of mental health issue. But cams has a long waiting list and also things do tend to take a long time when people are working with cams. But Peter has, like say he's working in a number of schools in the northwest of England. Well he's found using these tools and the schools have testified to it, so I can talk about this and if you you know, if anybody wants the evidence, so we can provide it. But the schools have said that, you know, they're typically seeing results in maybe a couple of sessions with children that have had sometimes two or three years of CAM involvement. Cams involvement, so it is all together different. And one of the things that I think is probable in terms of the NHS trials is that they're likely to be working with It's like this is likely to be offered to people while they are in a waiting list to see somebody in person, because if they can be straightened out without having to wait to see somebody in person. Then that's obviously beneficial all round. It's better for the it's better for the for the patients, and it's also going to be better for the NHS because there is going to be this huge burden. Oh, I mean, it's large anyway, and even before COVID started, the mental health provision was lackluster at best. But you're absolutely right. I agree with you about CBT. I'm no fan of CBT, as why I'm not a CBC CBT therapist, And one of the one of the reasons because sometimes people ask me, well, why don't you Why don't you rate CBT, And the primary is because I've seen so many people who've had CBT and got nowhere. But it doesn't surprise me because CBT is short for cognitive behavioral therapy, and anything that's cognitive is about what's going on in the conscious mind. But if somebody's got bullaming a nervosa and they're binging and purging all the time, so by purging, I'm in throwing up. Usually sometimes it's taken laxatives and so forth. If somebody is doing those kinds of things, they know there's a problem, they're already cognitive of it. They just don't know how to solve it. So, and if you're going to solve something like that, you have to address it at the level of the subconscious. You know, if it was subconscious therapy, then that would be different, but it's not. It's directed at the conscious mind. But the conscious mind already knows there is a problem, otherwise it wouldn't be seeking help. And secondly, the conscious mind doesn't know how to solve it. People consciously knew how to solve their problems, they would be doing it for themselves. So I think that the evidence base for CBT is actually very weak as I understand it. But those are the reasons why for me, I'm not a fan, because to me, it seems obvious that it's never going to be particularly effective because it doesn't address things at the light the right level of mind.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'm going to ask you how you started all this, and then you know, over the next ten to fifteen minutes, probably wrap it up, give websites out and how to contact you. But can we just pause for a two minute break that helps me with editing the show better. I'll be back in two minutes. So a little jingle, a little song, and they'll be back.
Speaker 5: Okay, imagine a world without Why is intrag radio exactly.
Speaker 1: N Horizon Talk Radio online from the Highlands of Scotland. We are voices from around the world.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, welcome back. It's Andy. It's who hasn't talk radio for a Wednesday evening. We're here today with Tim Tim for zac Luiza, Britain's finest and fastest hypnosis. So we're going to talk now, hopefully. I had a question when I was thinking when that music was I actually played them on the wrong track. I was just thinking, wouldn't it be amazing if every single person that needed help could could get a treatment straight away or at least within a month or something. And I think what the problem is with our society? And I can't knock help because health is brilliant when you need it badly, but when it comes to mental health in the mind, it seems to be a bit slow, you know, Tim, A lot a lot of the trouble is you've got to do it our way, otherwise you know, it don't exist. But you know, I think we still live in that age of alternative therapy is not the right way to go, and most people know it's the right way to go because I mean, a little simple example from myself, I was told I'd pre diabetes by the blood tests from the NHS, and you know you can't treat that yourself. You've got to have these tab No I didn't. I just cut out the stuff that made it that way by googling it. I mean, it's a no brainer sometimes. But I really think the NHS needs open up a bit more about alternative therapies. And I certainly, you know, if I could go to you once or twice, if it cost me a thousand and a million pounds, if I had the money, of course, it would be more worth it than going several times. I still say that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not going to I absolutely agree with you about the NHS. I think in some ways it's a it is a fantastic institution. And obviously you said we were going to talk about how I got into hypnosis in the first place. So one of the things I wanted to do is to applaud the NHS, because for us it's been just amazing. But one of the but in some ways it's an absolutely astonishingly wonderful institution. The people that work within the NHS, in our experience have been have been wonderful for the most part. But as an organization, it's it's like many big organizations. It can be slow to move and slow to adapt, I think, and so I think to an extent, there is a Yeah, there is an issue there when it comes to hypnotherapy. I think hypnotherapists themselves are partly to blame and there are definitely that there is definitely a problem in the world of hypnotherapy. If you know, if you want to discuss that, I'd be quite happy to. But yeah, I absolutely agree with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just wanted to know a little bit more about how you became a hit the therapist. Regarding the terminal illness in the family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it was, Yeah, it was completely by accident, and it basically relates to my wife who was born with the congenital disease. So this is a genetic disorder which which really really got bad about twenty years ago. It's getting on for twenty years ago. She reached a point where she was more or less unable to eat and drink and keep it down, and she was told that she was going to need a liver transplant as a consequence. The problem was she wasn't considered fit enough to have one, and she wasn't going to be fit enough to have one because she was really struggling to eat and drink. So it was a horrific chicken and egg situation, and there was no medical treatment available to us, not without a transplant. Transplant was it was the only treatment. But unless she could get herself eating and drinking and fit enough to have one, there was no way it was going to happen. She was born with some of the good policistic liver and kidneys, and basically what happened was that she had a very very stressful period of time at work, and for whatever reason, the cysts in the liver and kidneys started to grow at an incredible rate, and she ended up with a liver that was absolutely colossful. It's only supposed to be a few pounds, about three or four pounds. When it was eventually removed, it was it was more than three stone. So that and nearly all cysts. So and that was why she was struggling to eat and drink because it was pressing on you know, there was just nowhere for the food to go. So that was why I got interested in hypnosis. We were completely out of options. They sent her home because there was nothing they could do, and you know, she was a relatively young woman at the time, and we just didn't want it to die. So we started thinking, well, knew, what can we do? You know, we certainly weren't just going to accept it, and so we started looking around at possible ways to deal with it. And one of the things that we realized was that she'd been very stressed before all this really started to get bad, So we thought, you know, would would hypnosis help. I remembered reading a book as a child about hypnosis helping with certain physical conditions, and we got on the phone and started phoning around hypnotherapists. We tried to find somebody that that firstly gave us a feeling of confidence and secondly that you know, we seemed to have some idea how to go about it, because basically what we needed was are eating and drinking enough to be able to get a bit so that she should have coort at some point. How we trans land and we spoke to two kinds of people. Some hypnotherapist when well, yeah, bring her in, I'll quite happily have a go. But it was obvious that we wouldn't want to from the way they were talking, and others sounded as though they knew what they were, you know, they sounded skilled, but they would say, no, that's definitely not for me. So in the end, because I was working as a computer analyst and programmer at the time, I said, look, I'll make some recordings up. So it was off to the library because it was all prey and but not you know, we mostly weren't using it, will we. So it was off to the library to get some books. I made some recordings, suggested the kinds of things that we that I thought should go into.
Speaker 4: These recordings to get her eating and drinking and hopefully get her help her get back on track. Two weeks she was eating and drinking all less normally. So she was mixing up.
Speaker 3: These these shakes in a big blender with like protein, you know, like bodybuilder protein, and bananas and this ghastly stuff called forty juice that the doctors were providing, which is like a thick sugary syrup type stuff. And she eventually became she reached a point where she was considered fit enough to have a transplant. And then in when was it two thousand and three, early two thousand and three, she had the first of what turned out to be three transplants. But that was how that was what really got me interested in hypnosis. But she has actually been terminally ill three times and survived three times, so in that regard, she is I think, very very unusual. The closest she got was in two thousand and seven when she was given three weeks to live. But you know, it's it's been quite a ride. But that was what really got me interested in hypnosis. So when I was I was still working as a computer analyst, but I decided I was going to do a hypnosis training course, and simply because we knew that it had been useful and actually this is this is what to do, and that's why I love teaching hypnosis, and it's one of the things I've been doing through lockdown because that's you know, that remotely and I don't have to worry about these issues as disconnections and so, but it was it was it was that that really got me interested. And then I got I got a bit spinned up with and there was a bit of a dispute overpaid. It turned out I was right and they ended up having to compensate a lot of stuff because of it.
Speaker 2: But it's.
Speaker 3: Things didn't go well from an employer employee relationship perspective, and in the end when I went into the stuff that I've had enough of this and I became apa therapist and that's how I ended up doing this.
Speaker 2: Well. I guess when it comes to your wife, you found a way of helping him relax, actually made a cope with the problem and make her better naturally, because that's what they they say all over the internet. You forget about the hypnosis part of it. But if you're stressed and you've got a major herd or like a cancer diagnosis, and you're stressed, you're going to well, you're going to struggle to be as well. I was going to say die, you know, going to struggle not to die, But I mean, it's going to affect you a lot lot more. But if you're calmer, then you're going to be able to fight it better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're absolutely right. And I had a very interesting conversation with the hip therapist that I know in America. I'm sure I wouldn't get I had a long conversation with him because he'd been he'd been diagnosed with bowel cancer and it was something that he'd worked on with other people. He'd actually found himself in court in America charged with practicing medicine without a license because he'd worked with somebody had been diagnosed as terminally ill with cancer and they got better and they credited him as a hypnotherapist for having straightened it out. Unfortunately, it was thrown out of court and everything was okay for him. But yeah, he got cancer himself. And we had a long conversation about it because he'd said that he worked with quite a number of people he'd had cancer. Some got better and some didn't, and you know, we were debating what the possible reasons for that might be. But we were also.
Speaker 7: Talking about how he was going to go by approbe shed and one of the things that we both agreed on was that you should be watching on off for comedy, and certainly certainly when my wife was first still, one of the first things we did was watching.
Speaker 3: The eight MD shop in the Metal Center which is just as the Newcastle, and we bought what set after box set of comedy and we just watched a lot of comedy, and I think that is perhaps one of the healthiest things that we can do is to laugh.
Speaker 2: Just a quick agreement on that one. I'm laughing because it's coincidental. My wife had a traumas when you're young, and it was not until about two thousand and ten. So we got married in ninety two, two and ten, you know, some eighteen years. I think it was because we've been married thirteen She said, oh, by the way, you know, literally by the way digital I was right several times, you know, by different stuff. No, because you haven't known me, you know, so it's kind of shark And that's when she first started being very unwell mentally mental health. And sadly she's still on the drugs today because I haven't found a way of getting rid of the problems and until now, probably until what you've just said today. And if it wasn't sorry, I've lost and yeah, I think I've lost it a bit. Then myself hang on, yeah, so she so she took a long time to tell me, Yeah, yeah, I've lost the trainer Fortner. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, actually, if I if I could just take it off in a different direction, one of the things that I had been working on the law. It is chronic alcohol problems and those kinds of things are very often in people's past. It has really really surprised me just how many people seem to have suffered those kinds of things. But also, you know, it's sometimes joked about, isn't it that we spend the first forty years trying to get over the first five?
Speaker 4: You know that.
Speaker 3: It is true that the things that have happened to us continue to happen to us in our minds, over and over and over again unless something is done about it, because it colors your perception of reality. Whether somebody is conscious of that or not, it does. So, yeah, it doesn't surprise me. But like I said, comedy I think is very really important.
Speaker 2: You've just reminded me when she first told us, and she had to report it to the pl after eighteen years, the policeman policewoman, so he said, look, you've been self harming. You know, we've got a long list of problems in the AHS to get you treated. You know, because she kept it hidden, So while I was hidden, it was a great it was a great secret for her. But once she told me it wasn't it was it changed her personally, her mind, and so we was prescribed comedy films, go to Amazon, go to wherever, and laugh your sucks off. It may not cure the problem, but it will certainly help me deal with it. And it did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does. I think it is incredibly good for people. So that's what we did. And you know, we've still got boxes and boxes and we're still watching it and I think it's one of the best things we ever did. So if the BBC is listening your box, that's definitely worth having.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, so yeah, I am the I don't know where else to go with that, but yeah, so that was that was how I got started. And well, I said, the where I am now was not something that I ever planned, and it's just the way it turned out.
Speaker 4: Its life has a habit, a peculiar habit.
Speaker 2: Did you say it was a computer programmer or you worked in that area of computers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was a computer analyst and programmer, and I never expected to be doing this kind.
Speaker 2: Of Well, oh you're doing instead of tim doing it with machines, you're doing it with people. Now you eat programming them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to an extent, you're absolutely right, but there isn't another Yes, I was going to say that I would love to make sure I get in because I don't know when we're going to finish. But it was something that occurred to me as as you spoke earlier on.
Speaker 8: And like I said, one of the one of the things that I've worked in a lot is chronic alcohol. And the people I've worked with have really surprised me, because if years ago somebody had said.
Speaker 3: You're going to end up doing that and you'll really enjoy it, yeah, I would not have believed them. But I've gotten to work with some draguy nice people, but there is a huge I think it was you were sort of talking about stigma and so forth. One of the things that I think is worth saying is that if somebody's got a problem like that, it is not a lifestyle choice. But very often it's treated as though it is, as though somehow this is something that somebody has chosen and that if they and that if they are they, if they're struggling to stop drinking, that it's somehow you know, them being weak or them not bringing enough determination to it, and it is just nonsense.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I have worked with enough addicts now to know that absolutely nobody would choose this with themselves. And the other thing is that these are not the people that it happens to, are no different from anybody else. They have simply been unlucky in terms of the things that life has thrown at them. And then because we're all wired up in very very similar ways, they've responded in a certain way. Typically it's a coping strategy or other things. So and it was just something that I thought I would really like to say if possible, because you know, if anybody is listening and there's a family member who's struggling with something like that, it's really it can be very difficult to work with and it can be difficult to understand, but it definitely isn't a choice. And if they're struggling with it, it's not because they're weak. It's because they've been unfortunate.
Speaker 2: You know, Addictions, I don't know I've got when it comes to addictions. I think, I mean, it's something My point of it may not be right, but in fact, I want you to tell me off if I'm wrong, because I think addictions, if it's overeating, the bliema thing, the the alcohol, and I put them things and other things like it into one category. You know, but I don't know. When it comes to drugs, I'm a little bit more. Are you sure you know you didn't go from one to the other to the other and then you ended up here? And I don't know. I mean, I just think because there's a lot of good drug addicts that have recovered and they've never done it again. But I can understand also the other way round. When you an alcoholic and you're not drunk for two years, twenty two years, you desire for it like a cream cake is still there may not be every day, but you look on tell her you go outside and you go to the pub and have a coke and everyone else is having a whisky or beer. It's yeah, it's very hard for addiction people. But I'm just thinking what destroys our world, especially in the UK world, is drugs. It isn't the way that they can be treated so they're more normal or is it a society problem where you know, the NHS so the government. I just think that they're really bad because they shouldn't have done it, and you know, we'll bush them aside, put them in jail. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's well, I think it's both. I think it's both and maybe all of those things. Definitely there is a societal problem, isn't it. Yeah, the availability and all the rest of it. But people don't willingly become addicted to things, you know, it's not something that somebody chooses. If you have somebody is taking drugs, especially certain types of drugs, there's a reason for it. And in my experience of working with people who who are struggling with things like that, typically what they're really trying to do is either to handle difficult feelings. They're using it as an escape. Sometimes it can be get an unwitting form of self punishment as well. And I've seen those two was over and over and over again with people addicted to all sorts of different things. But they but like I said, you're absolutely right that the attitude, well, you know, these people are just naughty and they they've sort of brought it upon themselves. It's not helpful, it's never going to solve anything. And I think it really is a case of their book The Grace of God go by. It's very very easy from the outside to say, you know, this is something that they've brought on themselves, and to an extent, yes it is. But at the same time, there is a reason for it. There's always a reason, and that's why.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously, I was just going to say, just a simple example, if there is a drug addict that's very high on drugs and he breaks into shops to get money to feed us abbit, maybe only really wants you know, a bit like a hungry child goes stealing for someone to eat, or they really wanted some help and they're not getting the help, so they're gonna do worser things to get their satisfaction. So I do understand it in one way, but in another way, Yeah, there's a lot of crime involved in drugs. I guess drugs are hurting others, whereas alcoholism are a few people around you but not that many, but the drugs part of it is a lot more. That's just my point of view.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think the significant difference between alcohol and drugs that alcohol is socially accepted. So and yeah, you're Christmas comes around and they're advertising all of the various different types of alcohol. It is basically programmed into us that this is something which is good for us. Relaxing one, it's about being in good company, all the rest of it Yeah, it's all programming. If alcohol were not such a such a historically accepted part of our lives, it would be treated like other things. But it's the fact that it's acceptable that one of that is one of the things that makes it so dangerous because people don't see it coming and they're addicted before they realize. And I'd, like I said, I think that's one of the real dangers with alcohol, and it's one of the things that makes it a little bit different from other things. It's this, you know, it is socially acceptable. It's sort of expected, you know, if you if you're working in an office that if it's a work to do, you're all going to go out and have a drink. That's you know, that doesn't happen with anything else. But it creeps up on people and they it's not until they've got a problem that they that they become aware of the dangers. Prior to that, they think it's absolutely fine and I can do else doing it not a problem, and then all of a sudden they wake up and think, ah, I can't stop doing this, and and so it's it's a sort of it sneaks up on people. It's it's very, very different from all the things.
Speaker 2: Of course, that's the key, telling yourself, whatever the problem is that you have one, because until you tell yourself you've got a problem, believe it, no one can really help you. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, somebody has to at first has to recognize that there is a problem. So anyway, so yeah, so it was just something I wanted to say because I said, often considered to be a lifestyle choice, and it absolutely isn't.
Speaker 2: No, and we all got addictions, some are controllable, some not. Okay, then I was just curious the last question then, and then we'll do your website and then we'll wrap it up the next few minutes. It's been a great show me. We could have probably gone on all night. I haven't even asked any of the main questions I was going to ask. It's just that you asked one question that leads to another, and you know, I've only ticked off three questions so far. Anyway, now, no way, we can do a follow up show maybe in a few weeks or something. I'm interested in this fly and Become program, you know, the nervous flying program. I'm just trying to work out we became the opposite. We we flew properly. We've been all over the world, well, Thailand, any Away and China, and we've been to Sri Lanka and been to America Cabbin, So I suppose we're technically fled all over the world, been to Europe loads of times and planes. But we were happy flying and then we became the nervous flyer after the bad turbulence on the bad land, And you know, it's that that is so annoying. I mean, I don't know. I think that's worse than being being afraid to start with, because if you're afraid and you get your confidence up, then I guess I don't know. Yeah, I'm sorry. I'm probably.
Speaker 3: At least you got all the flying, and burst would have been worse the other way around because you wouldn't have been all those places. Maybe perhaps perhaps right a way to look at it.
Speaker 2: It's how do you I mean, I can understand addictions now with hypnotherapy and counsel and all that. I can understand that everything we've spoken about. But I'm just trying to work out in my mind if somebody is afraid of something, how do you curl them? Okay, so until they do it, they're going to get the confidence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was going to say flying is a bit of an interesting one and that's why there's a separate program. And Flying Mac used to be partnered with Thomas Cook until Thomas Cook you know, they hit all the financial problems. Flying Flying was partnered with Thomas Cook and I think it probably will be again because the I think Thomas Cooker gonna they've become. I think they're they're back in action but online or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not travel agent. Maybe you should partner fly me because they're in the North.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe I should, but it's it's partnered with Gatwick and Manchester Airport and various other places. But the thing with flying is it's not just one. You know, you can have something like a spider phobia and it's a it's a fear of spiders, or you know, if somebody has got a fear of needles, it's a needle phobia. Flying is very different. Flying can be anxiety about turbulence about it could be the takeoffs, it could be the landings. It could be being in an enclosed space. It might be you know, not being in control. There's all sorts of possible fears that can be attached to flying, and that's one of the reasons why it's so the fear of flying is so common. I think it affects about thirty or forty percent of the population. It's a huge number of people. And so that's that means that in terms of having an effective system, it needs to be table. HM. Basically, you know, how do you get rid of a fear? Well, a fear is basically it's it's it's an emotion that's been attached to something, and that's typically what we do with all sorts of things. So it might be there may be somebody that you don't like. Every time you see them, you feel this like that you know, you've attached this feeling to a person. Or it might be there's a food that you really don't like and if you see it it makes you feel queasy or whatever. So one of the things that the subconscious mind is doing in the background is attaching feelings to things. Typically it's just making fairly straightforward connects connect to another. And so when you were talking about the turbulence, initially you had lying and relaxation connected in your subconscious mind. So that's the way the moral was wired up. Hit turbulence and then all of a sudden, flying becomes connected to turbulence, and you know, this is not a nice feeling, and that's the way. So that so now there's a new connection when you think about the plane. That's what that's what your subconsciost automatically connects to severe turbulence. So it might be a really bad landing or whatever. And years ago we came in to Gatwick and it was very, very windy, and just before we hit the tarmac there was a huge gust of wind and it was the plane was tipped more or less on its side. I mean that the wing must have just about such a tarmac and there were people screaming on the airplane, and some of those people would have got up with a fear of flying as a consequence. And that sort of illustrates what I was talking about. You know, typical things that change the things that happened quite quickly. So essentially the way to solve something like that is to is to basically press a rewind buton in the brain. And so the tools that I created, which Orpheus made available, are they you know, they're designed to press that rewind button. But if anybody does go anywhere, it will seem strange. You know, people sometimes listen to them and think this is really really odd, this could never work. But the reason it seems odd and the reason it seems strange these tools of anybody uses them is because it's not designed to it's not designed for conscious communication. It's designed to communicate information to the subconscious mind. Because that's why you've modeled that. If you wanted to change your anxiety about flying consciously, you don't know how to do that, but your subconscious mind knows how to do it. That you know, it took you from feeling relaxed about it to feeling anxious about it.
Speaker 2: I mean what we've kind of then died. It was only in the UK Scotland to England, England to Northern Ireland and so on, so as only in the UK we had these bad turbulences. And then we decided that in our own mind anyway, every time we go long haul we don't get anything like that. So at the moment we've retrained the brain that the further you go, the better it will be, or no chance. And also don't fly in the winter in Europe, because last November we took off from Edinburgh in twenty twenty and a bit like you're landing when it banked on its side. It banked on its side, don't take off. Its straightened off and it banked on its right hand side. Now we haven't been on a plane for takeoff since well, we're on the way back. We didn't. It was all right, but you know, psychologically we're we're still thinking is that going to happen next time? But I doubt if it will. What you have to do, I think train your mind into the good times but other than the bad times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so what you've done there is you've said, right, okay, so if I look at it in this way, then we're going to be okay and we comply, even if it's a bit more limited than you know, flying any time of the year. That's a bit like hypnotherapy. So what you've done is you've said, right, okay, what suggestions can we give ourselves in order to work away around this problem or to change the way we feel about it. So you've basically done something which is very similar. But you saved yourself the money of going to see a hypnotherapist, and well done.
Speaker 2: You listen shout out your website and and I want to thank you very much. It's been very interesting and it's not a subject I thought i'd have fun with, but I've absolutely had fun. And I hope everybody listening more, you know, call you, email you, or go to your website and get some inspiration.
Speaker 3: Well in the COVID that's really I really appreciate that, and I've enjoyed myself as well, and I really appreciate being invited on. Probably the most useful web address is orpheousmind Technologies dot com because the tools that I was talking about there that neuro scientists looked at, they're available there, and there's tools for all sorts of different things and flying becalms available through there as well. My personal therapy website is Britain's fastest hypnotist dot com. But like I said, at the moment, I'm what I'm I'm working in different ways because realistically it's not a good idea to use hypnosis over Skype and so forth. So I am working with people in order to solve serious problems. Well I'm doing it in a slower way. As we get past COVID, things will be a bit different. Well, even if somebody doesn't want to come and see me because, as hypnotherapists go, I am quite expensive. There might be there is something on that website that is probably worth listening to, and that's right at the top of my homepage. I've got a free recording that anybody can play you just you know, you just literally click play. It's about fifteen or twenty minutes, and it tells you how to assess a hypnotherapist in order to see whether they are likely to be worth seeing or whether they're wants to avoid. So I've basically listed the sort of red flags, the things to watch out for because and it's worth knowing because hypnotherapy is it's a profession where there is no sort of uni uni uniform standard either in training or in qualifications. And some people are much better at it than others. And there are some you know, there are some people involved in hypnotherapy that absolutely shouldn't be you know, it could be through lack of training or for all sorts of other things. But if somebody wants to see a local hypnotherapist, who is probably going to be the best way that free audio tells you what to watch out for. It's like you know, if they're doing this, then you might want to consider somebody else.
Speaker 2: If I was listening to that now, I'd say, well, that's proved to me that it's given me the option to go somewhere else if I need to. He's warning me of the problems. But you know why I'm wasting my time. I'll just go to him. It's expensive, but I'll go there because you're you're helping them by giving them a video of choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, the thing is, I think it's always best to be streat with people. You know that it's important to treat people the way you would want to be treated yourself, and to be honest, I prefer if somebody goes elsewhere because I get a lot of email anyway, and at the moment because of COVID things that trying to solve problems under these circumstances with hypnosis over Skype would be a bit like doing trying to do it with one hand, time, behind, back, back. So I'm working with people in different ways. But there are hypnotherapists who've still got offices open, who I certainly will do when all the restrictions are lifted, who are very very good, you know, I'm not the only decent hypno therapist in the UK by any means. There are some brilliant ones and if people follow that advice that they should be able to find somebody who's really good, who's you know, not far away from the doorstep.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's been bulliant talking to you, Tim. I'll send you a copy of the show and if you want to put that of a website in the scape so I can add it to the show for the tools, because I haven't got that one that would be interesting for them. Okay, I'll be happy and you take care of a good evening.
Speaker 3: Yeah you too.
Speaker 1: Speaking to you and Horise and Talk Radio online from the Highlands of Scotland. We are voices from around the world.