Speaker 1: It's eight oh five here on a Monday morning. Happy Monday to you, Kentucky, and it is Kentucky and this morning news Coffee and Company with you on news radio eight forty w h AS. So, the suspect is still at large who shot and killed a woman last week who was walking her child to a bus stop, And of course that was just the second. That was the second shooting in that exact same area, same bus stop, in a six day window. So you know, that's something that hopefully sooner rather than later, they're going to be able to find out who this who this individual is and get them off the streets, not only to keep the city safer with one less violent criminal out there, but also just of course to you know, bring some level of justice. I mean, that's that's that's what's needed, of course. But yeah, just when you look at last week's events, I felt like towards the end of the week and I'm gonna I'm gonna probably not do a great job it really putting this into words the way I want to, because every thing about the week that we had in Louisville, and it's not just one week, but man, the week that you had the school bus stop shooting on the first day of school, and then the violent situation where a woman had somebody breaking, you know, home invasion, and then kidnap her and her two daughters and then take them with him to rob a bank and stabbed her. I mean, just an awful situation. And then again you had another school bus stop shooting where somebody lost their life. And then within twenty four hours, in fact, less than twenty four hours after that happened.
Speaker 2: There were two other murders.
Speaker 1: So these things have happened way more than like you would ever want me you never wanted to happen at all. This is where this is where I get tripped up, because any occurrence is a tragic, tragic situation. But it felt like the week just it being a realization of wow, like not only has this been an issue for a while, but it just seemed like there was a realization and more of a heightened awareness of just how bad off we are when it comes to violent crime. Now again, I say that knowing that there has actually been some improvements that you should acknowledge because it's real. It's it's some encouragement, I suppose. But now that we're here into the next week and the story is not as fresh. I just I hope that, you know, because I feel like the heightened awareness to it. Who knows if this is even real or what would even come of it, But I felt like there were people who, maybe more so now being aware, would be more inclined to just figure out how they can help. And we had Mayor Greenberg one on Friday, and obviously he shared some things that people can do just because they want to help. And you know, obviously you should always report whatever you see, share any information you have with the police, but also get involved in your community, figure out ways you can maybe be a part of programs that are that are in place to help children who don't have any support system at home, don't clearly have a good structure at home with parents, and they end up finding some acceptance finding I guess where they feel welcomed and appreciated in a life of violence with gangs. And you know, to me, that's just I think it's pretty obvious what's happened here is that, and and that's and no, not every situation is the same, but I do feel like we clearly have a violent crime issue for a variety of reasons. But one being the jew You know, children, they they clearly don't have good structure at home, as I mentioned, and they they find acceptance with gangs, and gangs are getting more you know, I guess we're basically gangs are being given resources to continue to be you know, violent and and a real threat to the safety of our city. And because some of these young kids aren't being taken into juvenile detention centers for long stays, they end up committing violent crime and then getting released and doing it again. And it's really kept probably gang members from having to truly get their hands involved in crime. And they're utilizing these young, impressionable children who again they they look at it as that's there, that's that's maybe probably the first thing in their life that they felt where they belong and they feel appreciated. And it's just a cycle that I think without real action, things aren't going to change. And it does sound like there is some action that's going to take place. And what I mean by that is, you know, we had last week some pretty strong words from our local leaders stating that you're gonna be you're gonna be treated like an adult, and they're they're trying to figure out ways in which they're going to be able to hold parents accountable because of their children committing violent crimes. And clearly that's a slippery slope, but something's got to give. So again, I hopefully we get some kind of information sooner rather than later as far as identifying the suspect and then figuring out where they are and you know, taking them into custody again for a variety of different reasons, not just because uh, you know, of justice, but also because this is that would be one less dangerous person out there that you know is a threat to our safety in Louisville.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about.
Speaker 1: Buying and selling a home. I know right now does not seem like maybe the best time to do either, but you may be surprised to know that you are that you are wrong right when it comes to the recent economic shifts. I mean, it's it's all over the place, right and interest rates clearly they have not dropped, and that's that's pretty scary. But that's why right now it's so important to have a trusted resource right by your style, the Cecolar team at Remax Properties East And I know, again the headlines can be overwhelming, but there's nobody better to help you make sense of it all than the local expert here in Louisville.
Speaker 2: That is Bob's Secolar.
Speaker 1: So if you're looking to buy a home, I know it sounds crazy, but it could actually be a great time because in a market like this, you won't find you won't find as much competition. You may actually have negotiating power if you're looking to buy, and if you're thinking about selling, you want to make sure your home is priced right for faster results, and nobody does that better than the Secolar team. In fact, when it comes to your home right now, don't let the headline scare you away from taking advantage of the market to where you could make a lot of money on selling your home. So Bob Siicoler, He'll come to your house, free of charge and obligation, walk you through every step of the process, give you honest feedback and tell you what matters and what doesn't when it comes to listening your home, He'll help you understand what your home is truly worth in today's market. And in fact, right now you can get a baseline estimate and we sell Louiso dot com again, that's we sell Loisver dot com. There is still a strong demand for your property. Don't just take my word for it. Google the socolar team that says okay oler, or you can call Bob directly at five O two three seven six live. That's five O two three seven six five four eight three and consider your house sold. We've got trafficking weather updates on the way coming up at eight thirty. We'll be joined by Rorio O'Neil of NBC News to get caught up on a variety of things, and we're looking forward to that conversation with Rory, So stick with us right here on News Radio eight forty whas. I'll tell you what. Initially, I was not really all in on Week zero. I just felt like it was a tease. Don't lie to me and tell me that college football season is here when it's not. But I've come to enjoy it because Week zero is here, and that means it is fair to say, in fact, it's the truth. We have college football games coming up this weekend that are real, They in fact do matter. They're not scrimmages, which tho doesn't really take place in the college level. But still we've got real games and that has me very very excited. And we have one local team that's getting off getting off to a start here in week zero, there's only four games that feature FBS teams, and one of those is Western Kentucky. They're going to take on Sam Houston State on Saturday. But the other matchups, you've got Iowa State in Kansas State that'll be at noon, Fresno State and Kansas will play at six thirty, and then at seven thirty you got Stanford and Hawaii.
Speaker 2: So I would say of the of.
Speaker 1: The four games, clearly, the one that would get most interest, I would assume is the Iowa State in Kansas State game, which that's that's a conference game, right it is, Yes.
Speaker 2: Also rivalry game in they're both in the top twenty five.
Speaker 1: There you go, so cannot wait. And then of course next week you've got everybody playing. Louisville of course will get their season kicked off, and obviously Kentucky's same thing. And the Louisville schedule is one that I I mean, I'm not I can't really be critical of it because I do think the reason that Louisville schedule is the way that it is, meaning just lacking a real challenge for you know, the first third of the season is because of I you wanting to get out of that series, and Louisville tried. I mean, you know, it's what it could have should have. But Louisville did attempt to get both I think it was Ole Miss and Tennessee on the schedule this year because they wanted to play one of those non conference games and those teams didn't want to play Louisvelane. To be honest with you, I get it, like there's just when it comes to strategy, and same thing with Indiana. I mean Indiana, it's it's it's understandable for them to realize because they have the proof they can schedule the way that they've scheduled and not challenge themselves at all of the non conference and do well enough of the Big Ten and still get a ticket to the playoff. They literally just did it last year and they you know, they didn't have it. I mean, it was proof that hey, we can we have a nine game league schedule that is more likely than not going to be challenging regardless of how the schedule is digged out. But also it's the Big Ten. It's clearly the second best conference in college football, and there may be years where it's the best conference, just depending upon what happens, So I understand it. I just think from a fan standpoint, when I think of the college football playoff expanding, the negative impact of that is that the regular season games clearly do not matter as much as they did whenever there was a two team championship game or even a four team playoff, and that has led to now you can schedule nothing games for a third of your schedule if you'd like, and it still won't impact you to not get in if you take care of business in conference play. That's where I feel like, from a fan standpoint, the product of college football there's more inclusion, meaning teams like Indiana who just did it, and of course even Louisville and Kentucky in certain seasons can realistically see themselves making it not as much Kentucky. And I don't say that to do the rivalry thing. I just think with Kentucky, I mean they're in the SEC. I mean they're clearly going to have I mean this year they could be substantially better, but it not show on the record because of how tough their schedule is.
Speaker 2: Louisville clearly has.
Speaker 1: A more realistic look at it because they're much more competitive in their conference because the ACC is nothing like the SEC. So that's the good thing is that you can now look at a college football playoff appearance as a realistic thing, and I think you could equate that to maybe a college basketball final four for a program as far as what it means. But again, the negative impact is that the scheduling is now taking place to where like, yeah, they know that they.
Speaker 2: Can do that, and it won't. It won't.
Speaker 1: It won't matter because if they take care business and conference play, it all works out. And I believe that that just doesn't do anything but hurt the product, right, Fans get less games that are competitive, So I see from both sides.
Speaker 2: All right, we've got an.
Speaker 1: Update of trafficking weather coming your way, Another sports update coming with Scott and then again Rory O'Neil set to join us at a thirty right here on News Radio eight forty whas final segment for us here on Kentucky and this morning News Coffee and Company. That's us here on News Radio eight forty whas as we wrap up this Monday. It's just myself and the one and only John Alden. So we've had the conversation over the years, John Donnelly on this show when we worked together, but also previously on the sports side. As far as boomer millennial gen Z, we I've never I don't know if it's just because of where we fall in the range that we're in. I've just like I don't, I don't often think about is this person a boomer, are they gen Z whatever? But and by the way, for those that don't know the age range, it may surprise you, and you are you are technically considered a gen Z, but you, to me, don't necessarily like you're the back. You're the very back end of the gen Z.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm leading the charge, if you will.
Speaker 1: So thirteen to twenty eight is gen Z. Millennials, twenty nine to forty four gen X forty five to sixty boomers are considered sixty one and above. And I've again, I've never once really thought much about this, other than when I see stories where people mention I guess habits and studies that show behaviors and whatnot depending upon those age ranges. But John, so John's gen Z, I'm millennial and therefore we both probably have Like my parents are boomer age rangers are not.
Speaker 2: Quite that old or more gen X. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, and I again, I feel mean even saying that my mom and my dad and my stepdad would be considered boomers because I've always just thought of it. It sounds like, oh, you're an old fart.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's bloomber has a negative connotation to it.
Speaker 1: So anyways, this is a This is a breakdown of things boomers weren't wrong about after all, Right, if you're somebody that is on the gen ZU or millennial, maybe even like these are things boomers would say that you now realized they were right about. It wasn't just them being old farts. Early morning pays off, meaning turns out, waking up early really does set you up for success. I don't think I ever doubted that, but I can tell you that it's true.
Speaker 2: I feel like we, of all people should know them. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Family dinners mattered. It wasn't just about the food. It built connection and routine. Yeah, I see, these are things where I don't feel like I ever said that that they were wrong about, Like you know what I mean, Like this is labeled boomers weren't wrong after all. I just think I didn't have enough life experience to really know if they were saying with what they were saying was going to be right or not. But yes, family, dinners do matter. Clean space, clear mind, Keeping a tidy home actually reduces stress and boost focus. The outdoors is essential. Fresh air and movement aren't optional, They're necessary. Yeah, I mean these are things that more than anything for me, I never doubted the importance. Now I am older, with more life experience and have a family my own to where yeah, they were right, but I didn't doubt. You boomers just know that It's just that I didn't have the experience to know one way or the other, and I really didn't care because I was a kid whenever these things were probably being stressed by those that are of the boomer rage range. I feel like you might be a boomer John, I might be.
Speaker 2: I'm almost embarrassed to be, But I mean it a good out for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I said, I think the nicest way to describe you being a lot younger than me, but feeling like you are the same age as me and sometimes seemingly having more you know, maturity and wisdom than than people my age or maybe even older.
Speaker 2: You're an old soul.
Speaker 1: I think you you you.
Speaker 2: You could have lived.
Speaker 1: In the seventies and I think been just fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know what I would have done in the seventies, but I would have figured it out.
Speaker 2: I'm sure, man. Life was.
Speaker 1: Life had to be so much more simple back then, because you got to keep in mind, if you don't know what you're missing out on it. You don't know, you don't know what you don't know.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine.
Speaker 3: I think life without the internet, your specifically before the internet, before you knew it was ever going to be a thing. Obviously, there was a whole generation boomers being primarily who we're talking about here, that know exactly what that's like. And I think it there's a certain level of you know, people like me will never know if that's like, and I kind of wish what it would I wish I knew.
Speaker 2: What it was like to just have that level of simplicity.
Speaker 1: And even though we are different in in age range, there are people growing up now that will never experience it the way that we did. Like for me, I mean, yes, we had the Internet, but that was when I was a little bit of an older kid, and it wasn't anything like it is now with devices and technology. So you know, I just I think that when you didn't have access to see as much as we can see now across the world and see how other people live, and just access to information and being you know, exposing yourself to things all over the world, Yeah, there's a lot of value in that, but I think like from a societal standpoint, you didn't know what you didn't know, so you didn't have anything to encourage you to think that you're well off or that you're poor, like you weren't, Like you weren't trying to Because people do it every day and they don't realize it what they see on social media and Facebook, Instagram, from either celebrities or even their peers. I just think so many people end up, without even realizing it, trying to either match that or do better than that. And when you didn't have that, you just you got up and you saw who you interacted with, by who you and like physically you had to see somebody to interact with them, maybe you could call them. And I just think people were more content with life because again they didn't have the ability to see where they really stood in society because it just you know, we didn't have access to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything was so idealized on Facebook and other social media, and it makes it, it makes it. It's part of the reason why I hate being on it for.
Speaker 2: Most of the time.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, and I can say that last my vacation really was good for me because it was the first time that I really did make it a point to not be as connected to it. And it was freeing because I realized, you, I didn't, I didn't miss anything. I didn't. I don't need to be as glued to these devices and much as much as I am. So yeah, Boomers, you were right. You can tell people that you know you were right and they were wrong.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: All right, we're on time, you guys. Enjoy the rest of your Monday afternoon. We're back at it tomorrow morning right here on news Radio eight forty WHS