Speaker 1: Welcome to Ouch! Was that a ghost? This podcast may contain graphic material which some listeners may find disturbing. Listener discretion is advised. Is advised.
Speaker 2: Help me.
Speaker 1: Now that we covered that, here's your host, Liss.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Ultras at a Ghost. Back again is Daisethy.
Speaker 2: Daisethy. What's up? Back again. Guess who's back. Me. I don't know. I don't know where you're going with that, but okay. So what are we talking about today, Liz?
Speaker 3: We are talking about vampiros. I don't know how to say zombies in Spanish.
Speaker 2: Zombias i think that's how you zombias it sounds right it sounds right yeah you know two of the things that i love the most and they're both have something in common they're both undead they're both undead but one pulls it off better.
Speaker 3: Than the other definitely i can't imagine fantasizing about a zombie Oh.
Speaker 2: Dear God, no. If anything, I have nightmares about zombies. From all the creatures, you know, from the monster world, zombies scare me the most. But I loved watching the movies. My first encounter with zombies was Michael Jackson's Thriller. I remember on MTV, they would play that shit like every half an hour when it first came out. And oh my God, you know, I was fascinated. I was freaked out, but I was fascinated. It was really creepy. Ghosts, okay, yeah, ghosts are scary, but vampires... Don't really freak me out. I wanted to be a vampire when I was in high school. Goals. Anybody out there who's listening to this that knows me, they know I was obsessed with being a vampire when I was in high school.
Speaker 3: Were you a goth girl?
Speaker 2: I didn't have the money to dress like a goth. I was an internal goth girl. Not to say that when I was older, I did get to go to some goth clubs and I did get to dress up, which was really cool. Me and my husband, we used to go to goth clubs all the time. But when I was younger, I don't think that was even a thing when I was in high school. I was still wearing my Mary Janes, trying to be Miss Clueless, Miss Sheriff. But no, I mean, I had a dark soul. I love that stuff. You know, watching Bright Night. And there's this scene where the chick, she's transitioning from human to vampire. And she's all sweaty. And, you know, she lifts up her face and you can see her fangs, her cute little baby fangs. I'm like, I want to look like that. That is just like the coolest shit ever. I mean, you know, to live forever. Young, beautiful, strong, powerful. Nobody wants to be a zombie. You know, I.
Speaker 3: No, I always kind of like the zombie from Hocus Pocus, though.
Speaker 2: Billy?
Speaker 3: Was that his name?
Speaker 2: I never watched that. No, I never watched Hocus Pocus.
Speaker 3: You never watched? Daisy, come on now.
Speaker 2: I never watched it.
Speaker 3: A few years ago, I was Winifred, which you probably wouldn't even know who she is.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: It was Bette Midler in the movie. And my husband was Billy the zombie. I think his name was Billy.
Speaker 2: Billy. Do you have pictures? You need to send me pictures.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I need to see. That's so cool.
Speaker 3: Actually, I'll send you one right now. I'll find one. We're talking. So do you want to start off with zombies or do you want to start with vampires?
Speaker 2: You know what? The spin is strong with vampires. I guess I'll start off with zombies. In my notes, I got kind of like a little backstory on zombies. Zombie folklore has been around since the 17th century in Haiti, where West African slaves were brought in to work on Haiti's sugarcane plantation. So Voodoo is a religion based in West Africa, practiced throughout Haiti and the Caribbean, Brazil, South America, and other places with African heritage. Many people who follow the voodoo religion today believe zombies are myths, but some believe zombies are people revived by voodoo practitioners known as bokor. So the bokors have a tradition of using herbs, shells, fish, animal parts, bones, and other objects to create concoctions, including zombie powder.
Speaker 4: Ooh.
Speaker 2: Which contains tetrodotoxin, which is a deadly neurotoxin found in pufferfish and some mother marine species. So use carefully at a sublethal dose. Tetrodotoxin combination may cause zombie-like symptoms. such as difficulty walking, mental confusion, and respiratory problems. High doses of tetrodotoxin can lead to paralysis and coma, so this could cause someone to appear dead and be buried alive and then later revived. I don't know if you heard stories from back in the days, you know, people are mourning their dead and then all of a sudden they pop up and, you know, like, hey, I'm alive.
Speaker 3: That's insane. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And those people will be called zombies. And, you know, yeah. So, yeah. So that's a little backstory to that. And then, of course, a major turning point in zombie lore came back. with American filmmaker George A. Romero. He did Night of the Living Dead in 1968. So this low-budget film inspired in part by I Am Legend, which was a novel written in 1954 by Richard Matheson.
Speaker 3: Do you know I've never seen that?
Speaker 2: I Am Legend?
Speaker 3: I've never seen I Am Legend or the other zombie one you just said.
Speaker 2: Liz!
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's how I feel about Hocus Pocus.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I can't believe you never watched those movies. They were really, really good movies. I highly recommend you to watch those. I am legend. I want to say they were supposed to be vampires. They couldn't come out during the daytime. Otherwise, they'd burn. So I never read the book. I saw the movie. In other words, yeah, George A. Romero, he was like one of the first ones to actually do movies about zombies. I think he was the one, you know, that came up with the, you know, the ideals that zombies came back. They had a hunger for human flesh. There was a Return of the Living Dead where they specifically wanted brains. That's what they wanted to eat. There's different types in movies. Let's see.
Speaker 3: Did you ever watch iZombie, the show?
Speaker 2: I've never watched iZombie. Is that the one that came out on SyFy?
Speaker 3: I watched it on like Netflix.
Speaker 2: Because there's another one on Netflix that shows how it all happened. And that one, I was watching it and it was actually really good. I mean, the anxiety that I got from watching that show. I mean, it was intense. I don't remember the name of it, though.
Speaker 3: And you were rethinking your teenage dreams.
Speaker 2: Oh, my God, dude. Yeah. Zombies. Like I said, I have dreams that I'm in a zombie apocalypse. And I'm trying to shoot zombies, right? Because I'm like, I have a gun. I can shoot these zombies. But for some reason, my gun is not a gun after all. It's literally my fingers. Nothing's happening. So that's scary.
Speaker 3: I don't know how to decipher that.
Speaker 2: You know, the thing is that I play a lot of Resident Evil too. So that's where a lot of my nightmares come from. You know, that also leads me to how zombies come to be. There's some movies where it's voodoo. Other movies where it's some kind of like... a chemical that brings them back to life and resident evil it was some kind of a genetic virus that was made as a bioweapon yeah there's different ways and of course how you make other zombies by a bite you get bitten you get turned into a.
Speaker 3: Zombie wasn't there what was the show with drew barrymore she became a zombie because it was it was on again netflix i think and it was like a ball or something it was like a spider ball that went into her mouth and it turned her into like a She had to eat brains after that?
Speaker 2: Oh, shit. I've never seen that.
Speaker 3: It was so funny. It was such a good show. I can't remember the name of it, though.
Speaker 2: Drew Barrymore.
Speaker 3: Drew Barrymore was in it.
Speaker 2: Oh, wow. Okay. I've never seen that. But yeah, the idea of zombies, it really freaks me out. I don't know if you remember some years back, there was these quote-unquote zombies in Florida. What was it? The bath salts? Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The bath salts and then eating their friends' faces and stuff.
Speaker 2: Dude, that is crazy. I think that's the closest we've ever gotten to actual zombies. That is crazy. Right? Yes, yes. So, yeah. What else do we have on zombies? I mean, like I said, we have their close cousin, which is vampires. Like I said, I prefer zombies than vampires. The other way around. You know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: Oh, I was like, whoa, that really just changed your whole view.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no. Okay, well, actually, one thing that I always think about, what would I do if all of a sudden we were in a zombie apocalypse? How would you feel about that? How long do you think you would survive a zombie apocalypse?
Speaker 3: I'd survive a good bit as long as I had resources around me and a way to make like a barricade. I watched all The Walking Dead. I know what's up. I like how Michonne like cut off the zombies' mouths and made them like their her backpack basically that was like it just like roped him up.
Speaker 4: I like that that was bad you know i mean i think that's a whole lot better than getting the guts of the uh of the zombies and smothering your skin all over the place so you can blend in that was nasty and.
Speaker 3: They do it like twice and then they don't do it anymore like if you know it works why.
Speaker 2: Stop why would you want to point.
Speaker 3: Of that I wouldn't want to, but if it's that or die, I'd do it. You know what?
Speaker 2: That's one thing that I had an issue with with the prequel of Walking Dead.
Speaker 3: I couldn't get into that.
Speaker 2: I did not like it. I think we stopped at a certain point. I thought it was pure freaking garbage. All of a sudden, zombie apocalypse starts and they're like, you know what? I know what to do. Let me put this stuff all over me. And how did they even come up with that? You know, it's like they already did it in the second one.
Speaker 3: How do you know that it wouldn't infect you? That wouldn't be my first go-to move?
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Because what if it seeps in through your skin and that's how you turn into a zombie?
Speaker 2: And what are the chances that, you know, two separate groups of people would actually think of doing the exact same thing? Oh, yeah, that's going to work.
Speaker 3: And such a dangerous thing if you don't even understand the disease.
Speaker 2: That's nasty. What if you have like a paper cut or something? You're fucked. Gets into your eyes.
Speaker 3: That's like the worst idea ever.
Speaker 2: It was dumb. It was really dumb. I mean, it worked in the first Walking Dead, but then when they try to redo it again, I'm like, oh, come on. I can't think of something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't even make it through the first episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was garbage. I couldn't stand the cast. Nobody was redeemable. I wanted them to all die. And then we could start over with some fresh people. Yeah, yeah, no. I'm good with that. Why?
Speaker 3: How long do you think you'd last?
Speaker 2: I mean, like you said, I think I'd last a pretty long time. I would know to barricade myself somewhere, you know, somewhere safe. I would probably find a market and barricade myself right there for the time being. You got everything you need. You got your food. Most likely there's first aid kits lying somewhere around there. You know, you can survive there a pretty long time. You know where your exits are at. And that's what's important. You got to know where your exits are at. And you have to have a way to get out just in case shit hits the fan. I thought about this a long time. Every time I would go to like a new job, I'd be eating my lunch in the back. And I'd look around, I'm like, I would go there if zombies were to, you know, invade my job. I'd be able to survive for a good minute up there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: They're like, Daisy, this is your orientation. This is HR. You're like, all right. But if the zombies come, what is the exit strategy here?
Speaker 2: There has to be an exit strategy. Oh, my God. You know what? My favorite one. There was, I don't know if you've ever seen it, you say you didn't watch Night of the Living Dead, but there was another one called Day of the Dead, which was the sequel.
Speaker 3: I haven't.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Night of the Living Dead, now you survived and now it's the day and where do you go? These people, oh my God, they found the perfect place to hole up, a shopping mall.
Speaker 3: It's perfect, but it's a lot of space, too, to protect.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: So granted, they put a lot of work into, you know, securing the place. So right off the bat, these guys, they already had some, you know, big rifles. And, you know, so they were able to, like, kill off all the zombies that were inside. They threw them out the roof, cleaned it up really nice. Once everything was cleaned off. and everything was secured, oh my God, they had it freaking made. You know, they had clothes, they had beds.
Speaker 3: Can you still play the video games in there? Or would they hear you outside? If I could sit in there and play Galaga all day, I'd be like, all right.
Speaker 2: Cool, I live here now. I think you'd be good because, I mean, not only is it well fortified, I mean, you know, you have all your security measures in place, you know.
Speaker 3: Oh, and the food court.
Speaker 2: The fucking food.
Speaker 3: You got the pretzels.
Speaker 2: Dude, oh my God. You know, hopefully everything's still well stocked, you know, but I mean, yeah, you could survive a long time. If there's no outdoor electricity, they have generators.
Speaker 3: True, true.
Speaker 2: So you're good. You're good, you know. The only thing is you might have to go on a run to go get, you know, fuel for the generator, but.
Speaker 3: I think the worst part about a zombie apocalypse, if you run into other people, being able to trust them or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, and that's something that, you know, put the fear into you in these shows. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'd backstab anyone before they got the chance to backstab me.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I'd use them for what I needed to first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's tough. You know, after you have your mall all set up, the mall is really big. The mall that they were in, it was small. It wasn't, you know, like super huge. So they were good. But yeah, I'd be afraid of somebody coming in and, you know, taking everything that I have, screwing me over for it. You know, I think, you know, a situation like that kind of shows the bad part of humanity. But would you want to survive something like that?
Speaker 3: If I knew that there was other survivors, if it was only me? I don't know. But how would you know unless you tried for a bit?
Speaker 2: Damn. Well, I'd want at least another person with me. I think I'd last. If I don't have somebody with me, I'm not going to last long at all. I'm going to lose my shit. You need human companionship. Yeah, definitely. And, uh, okay. And if you were bitten, how would you take that? Would you hide it? Would you tell somebody, Hey man, you know what? Just off me. Just, I don't want to, you know, or would you want to be put outside and you could join the rest of the other zombies?
Speaker 3: That's a really tough one. Cause if you get put outside and they get you before you turn, that's going to be a slow agonizing death.
Speaker 2: You gotta time it just right.
Speaker 3: If I could time it, you could throw me out there. If not, I'd probably tell someone to take care of me. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't want to. Oh God, that's scary. If I were to get bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just, you know, drug me, drug me, get me drunk.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't want to feel it. Just give me some drugs. So yeah.
Speaker 3: So at a dispensary, that's where I'd be held up.
Speaker 2: Oh man. See that, that would, you know what? Seriously though. I mean, in a situation like that, you kind of need a liquor store and a dispensary.
Speaker 3: That would be funny. If you become a zombie and you're high, does that mean that the zombie is now high for eternity? Or does that wear off?
Speaker 2: No, I think it wears off. He'd have the massive munchies, though. He'd be the hungriest fucking zombie out there. He'd be more aggressive than the other fucking zombies.
Speaker 3: He wouldn't even be aggressive. He'd be giggling in the corner.
Speaker 2: Oh, my God.
Speaker 3: Giggling on toes.
Speaker 2: Oh, my God. I'd be the ditziest freaking zombie. If that's the case, oh, my dear Lord. oh man but what a way to go though shit yeah actually you know what did you ever see any of the resident evil movies no oh my god okay well that's an acquired taste right there but i like them you know a lot of people talk shit about them they didn't go by the video game yeah yeah i enjoyed it i thought i thought the chick nila jojovic i thought she was badass in that movie She was so cool. I wanted to be her. One of the movies, there was this character called Carlos Oliveira. And he was trapped in this car, surrounded by zombies. And what does he do? He finds a joint inside one of his pockets. He lights it up and smokes. And then he blows himself up. And I'm like, you know, yeah, yeah. It was sad. It was really sad. He was a cool character. But like I said, what a way to go.
Speaker 3: On his terms and happy, I guess.
Speaker 2: That's right. That's how I want to go. But yeah, that's all I have on zombies.
Speaker 3: So now we'll move on to Daisy's preferred creature. The vampires. Vampire myths trace back millennia to ancient civilizations where blood drinking or life force consuming entities were recorded. When you hear the word vampire, people picture a pale figure in a black cape rocking some sharp fangs. Maybe sitting up in a coffin, hiding inside of a castle. Or maybe Dracula, standing beneath a full moon. But the idea of a vampire is much older than Bram Stoker's version. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Stoker's.
Speaker 3: Stoker's version.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: The idea of the undead returning and feeding on the living, whether through consuming their blood or stealing a person's life force, appears in cultures around the world and stretches back thousands of years. Tonight, we're going to talk about the history of vampires from ancient demons and restless dead to Count Dracula in the way that modern vampire has been shaped by books, movies, and television. See, Joe did this to us from the Film Joe podcast. He made us incorporate movies into everything.
Speaker 2: Movies is my life. I can't get into a conversation without referencing something to a movie.
Speaker 3: So my son's girlfriend doesn't watch TV. So every time I make a reference, she never gets it, which is weird. But I feel rude always making references, but I do it all the time. And she's always like, oh, I don't know what you're talking about. And I feel like a jerk.
Speaker 2: That person sounds sus. I don't know, man.
Speaker 3: She's the sweetest girl.
Speaker 2: She has some head in the gym. You don't watch TV?
Speaker 3: You got a feeling, huh?
Speaker 2: I'm sure she's awesome. But no TV. I can't imagine not watching TV.
Speaker 3: Me either. That's my downtime. That or video games. It's just like that's like mindless. Don't want to think about anything. Just blah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: That's like my happy place.
Speaker 2: My happy place is if I'm stressed out and I need to escape from something, I'll watch Impractical Jokers.
Speaker 3: I don't like it without Joe, but it's so funny. What are you eating or drinking over there? I see tajin. I see hot sauce. I saw like tequila. What is going on over there?
Speaker 2: What is happening?
Speaker 3: Is that a doll? You have, like, Barbie dolls?
Speaker 2: What is going on? What are you doing? It's a She-Ra doll.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's so badass.
Speaker 2: And that's the castle.
Speaker 3: Oh, my gosh.
Speaker 2: Lucky. I have her boyfriend. Oh, shit. I have her boyfriend. Both. It's heartbeat, so I don't know if you can see that. Dude.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tony, he bought this for me. I want to see for Valentine's Day when we were still dating. And he bought me the castle with a bunch of dolls. Oh, my God. I lost my shit. I actually sat down and I played with all of these things.
Speaker 3: You're like, Tony, Tony, you're.
Speaker 2: Him.
Speaker 3: Just pretend.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, I've always wanted this. But yeah, Tony surprised me with this. I'm like, oh, my God, this is freaking awesome. I was so happy. Yeah, I'm about to take a shot right now.
Speaker 3: That's a good guy.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay.
Speaker 3: You're doing shots. I just didn't know what was happening over there.
Speaker 2: I don't use salt. I use tajin and I don't have any lemon.
Speaker 3: So if you're going to make- Tajin and tequila?
Speaker 2: Eat the lemon. You got to sprinkle on some tajin and oh my God, it is so good. Margaritas. Instead of lining the rim with salt, use tahini.
Speaker 3: I would never put salt on my food.
Speaker 2: Really? Oh, you don't like the.
Speaker 3: I'm not a psychopath. I do sugar.
Speaker 2: Psychopath.
Speaker 3: Back to it. So long before people used the word vampire, ancient civilizations told stories about supernatural beings that preyed upon humans. One of the earliest examples comes from ancient Mesopotamia. The Mesopotamians believed in demons such as Lamashtu, a frightening female spirit, listen to how she's described, with the head of a lion, donkey teeth, her naked breasts, a hairy body, and bloodstained hands with these long fingers, which I can't stand long, like lanky fingers. It does something to me.
Speaker 2: A man made that. That is just, that is jacked up.
Speaker 3: And this thing was said to attack pregnant women and infants. Although she did not drink the blood in the way modern vampires do, she was believed to steal life and cause death. There was also another Mesopotamian spirit, Lilitu, who became associated with the night and attacking sleeping people. Over centuries, stories about Lilitu influenced later legends, including the figure of Lilith in Jewish folklore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I thought you were going for. Okay, cool.
Speaker 3: Ancient Greece also has vampire-like beings. The Empusa was a shape-shifting demon said to lure travelers before killing them. Another creature, the Lamia, was often described as a woman who preyed upon children and in later versions of the legend consumed blood or flesh.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that one tripped me out because when I was younger, I used to read books written by L.J. Smith. You may know her from The Vampire Diaries.
Speaker 3: I never got into that show. I tried. I watched like an episode and I couldn't do it. The girl was just too... I don't know.
Speaker 2: You should read the books. They're a little bit dated, but I mean, it's still a fun read. Yeah, one of her books, it was the Night World series. And the vampires were called Lamia or Lamia. I don't know how you pronounce it, but.
Speaker 3: You're probably saying it right.
Speaker 2: Lamia, Lamia. Yeah. And basically, they were... And these vampires were a type of vampire that was born that way. And once they reach a certain age, they stop aging. That was the lore in the book. So I thought that was kind of cool. And then they can make your traditional vampire where they're bitten and they stop aging from there. But the Lamia, they were born as vampires.
Speaker 3: And the people they bit stopped aging at the point they were bitten?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Or the point they reached the age.
Speaker 2: No, no, no. At the point they were bitten. So if the vampire bit you at the age of 25, that's where you stay.
Speaker 3: I'd be chill at 25. My body didn't really hurt then.
Speaker 2: 25 was good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Chill bite age.
Speaker 2: I'd go for that. I would not want to be a vampire now, though. No, I'm good.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: Back pain for eternity.
Speaker 2: If I could shapeshift back into my younger self. There we go. Now we're talking.
Speaker 3: All right. These creatures were not vampires in the modern sense, but they shared one important feature. They fed upon the living. By the Middle Ages, vampire belief began to take on a form that would become much more familiar. Familiar. Familia. I'm trying to not lose my R's. Like, I wanted to say familia. Familia. But I'm trying to say familiar. And then I thought I overdid it with a yulier. It was just too much.
Speaker 2: Everybody, you know what? When we were doing the Film Joke podcast, I remember there was a listener that said that they loved your accent.
Speaker 3: I don't even think I have one. But there's certain words with that. Like if I say stairs too fast, it's stairs.
Speaker 2: Stairs.
Speaker 3: But if I say stairs.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: I have to remember to say stairs. But then if I overdo it, it's like stairs. It becomes aggressive.
Speaker 2: I fell down the stairs. I like it. I think it's cute.
Speaker 3: Across Europe, many people believed that the dead could sometimes return to harm the living. These beings were often called revenants. A revenant was a corpse that rose from its grave because something had gone wrong or a person had died suddenly or they had been cursed or some thought because they were considered wicked during life. Or perhaps the community simply believed that they were responsible for a series of unexplained deaths. At a time when medicine was poorly understood, diseases could rapidly spread through villages. And when several family members died within days or weeks, people searched for explanation. Sometimes they blamed the dead. One corpse might be accused of returning at night to drain the strengths of relatives. Communities sometimes dug up bodies and performed rituals intended to prevent the dead from returning. The rituals varied. Some involved dismembering the deceased or putting rocks over the body. Oh, this one was kind of weird. Putting poppies in the grave. Poppies. Like Wizard of Oz.
Speaker 2: I'm familiar.
Speaker 3: I've never heard that until this.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: Or some would put a coin in the dead person's mouth. Some even place sickles across the buried person's neck. So if they rose up, their head would be cut off. Like they wouldn't cut their family member or friends off. Damn. But they set it up. So like if they tried anything.
Speaker 2: I dare you.
Speaker 3: Or I'm sure you've heard of burying them upside down. So if they tried to get out of the grave, they'd go down instead of up.
Speaker 2: The one that I don't know if you have it there, but the one that I know of is that they would put a stake through you. So that you wouldn't be able to get back up. That's where the whole myth, well, legend where. That's how you can kill a vampire, but put a mistake through his heart. But initially, it was to keep them in their grave.
Speaker 3: I didn't list it because there's so many. That was the end of my list, but I have heard of that one before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one's cool.
Speaker 3: But they did some gnarly stuff to try to get these people in. They had like metal cages. They had all kinds of nonsense, but I just listed some. But these practices have actually been discovered in archaeological sites across parts of Europe. The word vampire became widely known during the 18th century. During this period, reports of alleged vampire attacks emerged from parts of Eastern Europe, especially in the areas that are now Serbia and neighboring regions. Two famous cases captured the attention of Europe. The first involved Pitar Blagojevic.
Speaker 2: That sounds legit.
Speaker 3: Who died in 1725. According to reports, several people in the village claimed that Pitar, I'm not even going to say his last name again, appeared to them after his death. And soon afterward, villagers began dying. When his grave was opened, witnesses claimed his body appeared unusually well preserved. To them, this was evidence that he had become a vampire, which it could have just been the temperature.
Speaker 2: But it could have been, you know, it could have been so many things like, you know, maybe like the minerals in the soil that he was buried in. You know, that could have preserved him as well. I don't know where I heard that. I heard it somewhere, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Another famous case was Arnold Paoli, a former soldier who died in 1726. Local residents claim that Paoli had once encountered a vampire himself. He believed he had taken precautions to protect himself. After his death, villagers reported seeing him again. And when more people died, authorities actually went out and investigated. And then they actually wrote reports... and they were circulated throughout Europe. And suddenly, educated people in Paris, London, and Vienna were debating whether vampires were real. These incidents became known as the vampire controversies. Then to 1728 in New Orleans, where more men than quote-unquote respectable women were, because, you know, they had to be respectable if they were deemed fit for marriage. So the French crown, King Louis XV, sent a bunch of young women to the newly colonized you know, French colonized New Orleans to populate the area.
Speaker 2: French Quarter? Yes.
Speaker 3: The women were sent by boat. The young French women arrived in New Orleans to marry settlers and help grow the colony. They were called the Casket Girls because supposedly they brought small coffin-shaped trunks, or casquettes in French, containing their belongings. They were housed with the Ursuline nuns at the Ursuline convent. Later folklore claimed the girls were actually vampires. with the mysterious trunks supposedly containing their coffins, according to legend that the trunks were kept in the convent's attic and eventually sealed shut because something sinister was supposedly happening. Some say that they brought zombies... Zombies, hi! Some say that they brought vampires with them. Others say that they brought, like, soil of vampires, and somehow that did it. I'm not really sure, but realistically, they were in ships kept under there, so they probably contracted something When they got off their boat, they looked pale, but because they hadn't seen sun in however long, however many weeks, months, whatever, so obviously they're going to look pale.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And if you don't have vitamin C and you're on a boat, you can get scurvy which causes bleeding gums so okay or they brought some sort of disease and then people in the area started dying because maybe they brought tuberculosis or something with them so people are dying so they're like oh they're.
Speaker 2: Vampires yeah somehow you know traveling by ship does not sound you know very nice back in those days Oh, it's probably disgusting. God, that sounds horrible.
Speaker 3: No showers.
Speaker 2: No pools. No margaritas.
Speaker 3: Nope.
Speaker 2: No margaritas.
Speaker 3: No tajin.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 5: No tequila.
Speaker 2: No tequila. Oh, man. That sounds horrible.
Speaker 3: Then there's the story of Count St. Germain. I don't know if you've ever heard of him.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of him.
Speaker 3: We should do a whole thing on him. The enigmatic 18th century occult figure whose real identity to this day remains a mystery. He appeared among the wealthy and powerful circles. He was like a mysterious European aristocrat. And he was seen a lot around Europe, especially around France. He claimed or was rumored to have extraordinary knowledge of alchemy, languages, could play multiple instruments, knew a lot about science, history. And he spoke of things like he was actually there. The biggest legend is that he was immortal or he discovered the elixir of life. People claim that he looked the same for decades. He was always like right around 40 years old. And stories say that he could predict the future. He could turn ordinary materials into precious metals. And he possessed immense secret knowledge. And I know it sounds like just an alchemist, but there is also a story of him in New Orleans when he had like this big lavish party and everyone left and it was just him and a girl. And supposedly like he, she jumped off the ledge and she was saying, he tried to bite me. He tried to bite me. And then he disappeared. And when the police went into his house, the wine bottles he had. actually had like wine and blood mixed together oh shit it's a whole long thing i'm just giving you the very short version you.
Speaker 2: Know it's funny though because you're uh when you're reading this to me i'm obviously going towards movies and you know this was obviously a lot of this stuff was obviously inspiration for you know a lot of vampire movies when you mentioned the the wine and the blood Automatically, what comes to mind is The Lost Boys, where David gives Michael the wine and he drinks it and he becomes a vampire because there's blood in there. Yeah, Lost Boys.
Speaker 3: So although St. Germain, Count St. Germain, was reportedly dead by 1784, stories of mysterious sightings continued afterwards in different time periods. Yet he always appeared the same age. And he has sightings as recent as like the 1970s. And the reason they know what he looks like is because back then he sat for paintings. So they have actual paintings of him.
Speaker 2: Oh, wow.
Speaker 3: That they can compare him to.
Speaker 2: Damn, that's crazy. Like the Elvis sightings. Elvis is probably a vampire too.
Speaker 3: I've heard Christopher Walken was. They always say that on like TikTok.
Speaker 2: What? I've never heard that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Go down that rabbit hole one day at 2 a.m.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: This is the last example of a vampire, but Mercy Brown, which I did the whole episode, she was a young woman from Rhode Island whose death in 1892 became one of America's most famous vampire legends. She died of tuberculosis, as did several members of her family, but at the time, people didn't understand how tuberculosis spread, and families sometimes believed a deceased relative was draining the life from those who were still sick. After Mercy died, her relatives became ill, and locals suspected she was a vampire. Her body was exhumed about two months after death, and her heart and liver were actually removed and burned, and the ashes were reportedly mixed into a drink and given to her sick brother Edwin as a supposed cure. Edwin died soon after, and the story became part of American folklore and is often cited as one of the last vampire-related exhumations in New England.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Obviously, when you think about vampires and you go back into history, you obviously think of the vampire himself, Vlad Draku, who later on was Dracula. Apparently, Vlad Draku was actually an actual person, also known as Vlad the Impaler. I don't know if they said he was a vampire or they just got his story and said, you know what, this would be a good base for a vampire story. Because apparently, he used to... chop off their heads, put them on a stick, and he would drink their blood. He would dip the bread into the blood and he would eat it.
Speaker 3: He's a complete sicko.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. I'm sure there's more to that, but yeah, that's the whole thing where, you know, you live forever and, you know, the blood is power. I think a lot of folklore does revolve around that, where, you know, drinking blood does, you know, make you powerful. Yeah, I always found that fascinating. But that's cool. You know, that's awesome. He came up with, you know, all these other people, you know, those accounts. I think that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot more. I just picked some of the more well-known ones, I guess. I probably should have gone the other way and gone less known.
Speaker 2: No, but that's cool. I like that. I like that. Yeah, like I said, you know, a lot of people would have gone straight to, you know, Vlad the Impaler.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's in here.
Speaker 2: Oh, he is. Yeah, he's the vampire.
Speaker 3: Today, historians and scientists believe that there were many reasons vampire stories spread. One was disease. Tuberculosis, for example, often affected several members in the same family. Victims became pale, thin, and weak before dying. To grieving relatives, it could seem as if one dead family member was somehow draining life from others. Another explanation involved the natural process of decomposition. People in the 18th century didn't understand how bodies changed after death. A corpse buried during cold winter might remain surprisingly well preserved. And as the body... Decomposes, gases can cause swelling, and fluids can emerge from the mouth or nose, creating the appearance that the body has recently fed on blood. What looks supernatural to villagers often had a natural explanation. Everything changed in 1897. That was the year author... I don't know why it's so hard for me to say his last name. Bram Stoker published Dracula. Stoker did not invent vampires. Instead, he gathered together centuries of folklore and transformed it into one unforgettable... One unforgettable character. Count Dracula. Dracula lived in a castle in Transylvania. He slept in a coffin, he drank human blood, and he could transform into a bat. He feared sunlight, garlic, and religious symbols. Many of these traits came from earlier folklore, while others were Stoker's own inventions or adaptations. Dracula quickly became one of the most famous vampires in history. Many people ask if he was based on a real person. One name he is often connected to is Vlad III, also known as Vlad the Impaler. Vlad was the 15th century ruler of, ah, these words, Wallachia?
Speaker 2: Wallachia? I think it's Wallachia.
Speaker 3: What she said. It's now known as Romania. He's known for his brutal treatment of enemies, especially impalement. His father had belonged to the Order of the Dragon, which gave Vlad the nickname Draculea? Draculea?
Speaker 2: Draculea. Yeah, Draculea.
Speaker 3: Then, which meant roughly the son of the dragon. And Bram Stoker used the name Dracula. However, historians generally agree that Vlad's influence on the novel was probably limited. There's also little evidence that Stoker based Count Dracula's personality or supernatural abilities directly on Vlad. Still, the connection has become part of popular culture. And then the 20th century gave vampires a new life. In 1922, the silent film Nosferatu introduced one of cinema's creepiest vampires, Count Orlok.
Speaker 2: Orlok? Yeah, I think that's right.
Speaker 3: Unlike the elegant Dracula, Orlok looked almost corpse-like with long fingers, sharp teeth, sunken eyes, and he helped establish the image of the frightening vampire. Then came actors like Bela Lugosi.
Speaker 2: Bela Lugosi, yeah.
Speaker 3: Whose portrayal of Dracula in 1931 became iconic. His cape, accent, and dramatic presence influenced generations of vampire films. Later came Christopher Lee, who portrayed Dracula in a series of hammer horror films during the 1950s through the 70s. His version was darker and more violent. And by the 20th century, vampires had changed. They were no longer always monsters. Sometimes they were heroes. Sometimes they were tragic figures. And this is Daisy's favorite. Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Presented vampires as emotional, immortal beings who were struggling with loneliness. And then one of my favorites, the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer, mixed horror, comedy, and romance.
Speaker 2: I love Buffy. Oh, my God.
Speaker 3: So good.
Speaker 2: Oh, my God. So good.
Speaker 3: And then Joe's favorite, the Twilight series, introduced vampires to a new generation through stories of love and identity. He's going to punch me for that.
Speaker 2: No bullshit. I did like it's my guilty pleasure.
Speaker 3: Girl, I read all the books. I could not wait until the movies came out. I loved him. He's the one that knocks him. I'd probably still watch him now. I'd probably be cringed out, but I'd still watch him.
Speaker 2: It's a guilty pleasure. But did you watch? Was it Rising Sun or the book that was written on his perspective?
Speaker 3: Was it the third book?
Speaker 2: OK, so we have, you know, Breaking Dawn and all those. But there was another one. Where it's written on, what's his face, Edward's perspective. This came way after.
Speaker 3: Oh, I only read the three in a row. I didn't read anything after that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't read it. I think I got the audiobook. All it is, it's his inner monologue. It's not being told from his perspective when he first sees Bella. There's the back and forth between him and Bella. But no, it's not that at all. It's his inner monologue, like him thinking, oh, my God, she thinks or, you know, her scent. And it's just him fucking complaining. And it's, don't do it. You know, I read another book where it was from the point of view of the other person. And it was awful. because it's literally the story of him and how he felt and what he was going through it was the story it was his character he had dialogue no this was just inner monologue and it was just garbage.
Speaker 4: Yeah that doesn't sound very good no it's no bueno he's a little bitch.
Speaker 3: No bueno no basura basura so the Twilight series introduced I think I already said this.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 3: Introduce vampires to a new generation through the story of love and identity. More recently, shows like The Vampire Diary and What We Do in the Shadows have explored everything from romance to comedy. The vampire has become one of the most flexible creatures in fiction. It can be terrifying, seductive, funny, or deeply human. It seems like each reflects the fears and interests of the culture that creates them. For thousands of years, vampires have changed with us. Ancient people imagined demons that stole life. Medieval villagers feared the restless dead. 18th century Europeans debated whether corpses could rise from their grave. Victorian readers met Count Dracula. And modern audiences continue to reinvent the vampire in novels, movies, television, and games. Perhaps vampires remain popular because they represent some of humanity's oldest fears. Death, disease, and the unknown. and the unsettling question of whether the dead are truly gone. As long as people tell stories about the darkness, there will likely be vampires waiting inside of it.
Speaker 2: I love vampires.
Speaker 3: So if you heard a scratch at the window, would you invite them in?
Speaker 2: No. They're staying out there. No. If I was younger, if I was 25, which we've already said that that was like the perfect age. If I was 25, yes. At my age, no, no. said i romanticize the hell out of vampires i mean that they're the perfect hunters be perfect they're beautiful they don't age you know and i think that their beauty is what helps them hunt for their prey there's different types of vampires too some that have mind control some that can read your mind some that can fly some that can other animals like a bat or wolf. Some that can actually live in sunlight like the Twilight vampires.
Speaker 3: Oh, sparkly.
Speaker 2: And you know what, though? I mean, I think, you know, the reason that they made them sparkle is not just to be, you know, bedazzled vampires. Stephanie Meyer portrayed them that way because that made them the best hunters. I mean, you know, you see somebody sparkling. Are you going to run away from that shit?
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: I want to see what you sparkle. I want to touch you.
Speaker 3: Bitch, why are you sparkling?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you're like, well, come and see. You know, you come and see and then bam, you're praying.
Speaker 3: I should have written some of these down, but I was looking at Reddit because to me, if there were vampires anywhere in the world right now, there are no Orleans. Like that's the vampire central to me.
Speaker 2: Well, that's where Ed Rice got all of, you know, that's how she was inspired. All of her vampires come from New Orleans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like they're definitely there. If there's anywhere in the world that there's like a group, that's them. But they have all these stories of people that will be like, I had this knock, I opened the door, and then I let this guy in and I totally forget what happens after this. Like, so I think they definitely have some sort of mind control or mind erase power or hypnotic or mesmer or something going on.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Absolutely. Yeah, I'd be a total victim.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 2: Who portrayed the sexiest vampire?
Speaker 3: Brad Pitt.
Speaker 2: You know what? Brad Pitt. I've been known to be the stalker of Glenn Powell, but before Glenn Powell, there was Brad Pitt. And my dear Lord, he was so, he still is beautiful. And you know what? He is the most sexiest vampire. I was going to go with the vampire from Fright Night. Have you ever seen Fright Night?
Speaker 3: I gotta look him up now I might have seen.
Speaker 2: It it's with Chris Sarandon oh I did see that I mean he's not as sexy as Prince Humperdinck.
Speaker 5: Yes Humperdinck yes I mean he's not the best looking man he doesn't come close to Brad Pitt but there was something so seductive.
Speaker 2: Like you know what dude just bite me already like damn oh.
Speaker 3: There's like a Fright Night with Colin Farrell I haven't seen that. I'd probably watch that one.
Speaker 2: You know what? It's not as good. You know what? It's its own entity. It's similar, but different.
Speaker 3: I feel like this has turned into a Film Joe podcast.
Speaker 2: I know, it's my fault. I mean, we're talking about creatures that have been made famous by movies, books and movies.
Speaker 3: You can't really talk about vampires without talking about, because I feel like with many creatures, with witches, with everything, media shapes how people picture them. Like even at the beginning, like when you picture it, don't you always think like the sit up in the coffin or the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, ah, ah, ah. That was the count. You know, that's how it was made famous. Yeah, I can't. talk about something unless I reference a freaking movie. I prefer... It's kind of pathetic, but I love the movies where the vampire is portrayed by someone sexy and seductive. I love the conflict within them. They're still trying to deal with being... A vampire. And I love it. The inner conflict. You still feel like a human, but you're not. You're something totally different now. You have to survive in a totally different way. You have to survive by taking human blood and sometimes even killing them. Yeah, I love vampires. I think they're awesome. If I was younger, I had no family. I would love to be a vampire, but I would be a good vampire. I'd be a vigilante.
Speaker 3: So how would you feed? Can you feed off animals only?
Speaker 2: No, no.
Speaker 3: But even then.
Speaker 2: Feeding off of people, but I'm feeding off of the bad people.
Speaker 3: Oh, I gotcha.
Speaker 2: So I'd be a vigilante. I'd be out there killing, you know, all the bad people, cleaning up the streets.
Speaker 3: Dexter vampire.
Speaker 2: You know, not as weird as him. That was a cool show, by the way. Yeah, I'd be a cool vampire. I'd dress all in black.
Speaker 3: I do anyways. Am I a vampire?
Speaker 2: Oh my God.
Speaker 3: And I love the nighttime.
Speaker 2: Me too. Oh my God. I used to love going to the beach at night.
Speaker 3: Wait, I burn in the sun. I, oh my God. Am I a vampire?
Speaker 2: We're vampires because I burn to a crisp. I do not tan. I turn red. I don't leave the house unless I have some kind of makeup on.
Speaker 3: So the big question, vampire versus zombie, who would win?
Speaker 2: Um i'd say uh okay well that's kind of a tough one okay so i'm gonna give the zombies they there's usually a butt ton of them there's usually a fuck ton of them so i don't know i think even so vampires would definitely win they're smarter they're faster they have supernatural powers zombies are slow they're stupid they have one track mind definitely vampires would win.
Speaker 3: Even the high zombies?
Speaker 2: High zombies? Oh, the high zombies.
Speaker 3: They still have munchies. Yeah, because the vampires literally could just be like, all right, I'm a bat. Like and then fly up and then what?
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: By the time the zombies figure out how to climb a pole, you know what I mean? They already woke up from their nap.
Speaker 2: Not to mention, I mean, a vampire is already dead. So a zombie is not going to want to eat something that's already dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: Because I mean, in essence, vampires are zombies. They're just like higher up on the food chain. They look better.
Speaker 3: Better looking zombies.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, I think he's so Brad Pitt looks so good in that. But then I think it was a Joe or someone or someone told me how he's like the other actors said he stunk. during the filming like he smelled bad and that kind of taints my image a little bit but I try to ignore that but it always pops in my head.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean I still take him I don't care what he smells.
Speaker 3: Like nose plugs just go in I'll.
Speaker 2: Just breathe through my mouth it's okay oh then you can taste it it'll get in your mouth oh man but you know what though on the upside if he did smell bad you can give him a bath look at how caring he was I'm so caring Maybe you're a little ripe there. Glenn Powell would make a good vampire.
Speaker 3: I know. I'm surprised he hasn't.
Speaker 2: I hate him, though. He has a girlfriend now. I don't like her.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's just a beard for when he's waiting to get with you.
Speaker 2: That's what it is. That's what it is. Because this bitch, she's like, he's tickling 40. And he's with some chick that's like 20-something years old. Motherfucker.
Speaker 3: Like we could have had, don't be that guy. Glenn, don't be that guy. Don't do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, he still looks very youthful. He's still very, you know, like he loves to party and, you know, seeing him on Instagram, you know, he loves to party. He's still, you know, very college mentality.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But, you know, sooner or later, that's going to catch up to him. And no, they have nothing in common. Nothing. So I'm just waiting for it to figure out.
Speaker 3: So email Daisy at.
Speaker 2: Like iloveglenn.com. I would love to do an interview with him. Oh my gosh. That's reaching. My brother, he's more of the one to do interviews with producers and, you know, and everything. And he told me, he's like, you should do that. I'm not down for that, but... If Glen Paul would just say, Daisy, let's do this. I'm fucking there, dude. I am still there.
Speaker 3: You'll be like, first question. You'll be like, how you doing? What are you doing?
Speaker 2: What side do you like to sleep on?
Speaker 3: Just be fangirling.
Speaker 2: Oh, my God.
Speaker 3: Boxers or briefs? I hope.
Speaker 2: You know what? I see him as a boxers guy. Yeah. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: There's not very many brief guys out there. There's some, but not many.
Speaker 2: That's just gross.
Speaker 3: I feel like boxer briefs or boxers are kind of like the majority.
Speaker 2: I'll do boxer briefs, you know, the little snug ones. That's fine, you know, but those ugly, tighty-whities, that's it. But I was probably like that with New Kids on the Block.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, Jordan what jordan i loved him you know i love jordan and uh and joey I thought they were so good. Joey was too short, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Going back to the accents, I loved their Boston accent. Oh, my God. So freaking cute. My walls were completely covered in magazine pages.
Speaker 3: What is it? Teen Bop and all those.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: Bop and Big Bop. Yes.
Speaker 3: And I had the bedspread, too. I did, too.
Speaker 2: Oh, my God. My family from Puerto Rico loved. They sent me a birthday present one year. And I remember they called me in the morning, sent me happy birthday. And they're like, mail should be coming soon. So call us when you get it. Big old puffy thing comes into the mail when I opened it up. Oh my God. I slept with that to the very end. Oh my God. I love that red spread.
Speaker 3: Mine too. I don't even know what happened to mine. I know it was falling apart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mine's those too.
Speaker 3: I probably got thrown away or something, but I wish I still had it.
Speaker 2: I think mice got to mine. You know what I still have? What?
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 2: I think it's just two of them that I have now. Jordan and Donnie and the Barbie-sized dolls. You remember those?
Speaker 3: Why don't you have those out? I don't know where they're at.
Speaker 2: They're packed away somewhere. I need to go through my boxes when I moved out here. But yeah, I have Donnie. He's wearing a white jacket that has like a British logo on it. And it actually has, on his back, it has the duck tail. The long tail.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The rat's tail or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yes. Same thing with Jordan. Jordan has his, it's a black outfit with red and he's wearing red socks with it and has a little microphone and everything. It's so freaking cute. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love him so much. He was like, yeah, I loved, loved him.
Speaker 2: He still looks good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he does.
Speaker 2: He looks really good.
Speaker 3: But you know what makes him sexier is he's still into his wife and his wife is age appropriate. And doesn't that make a guy just like so much more? You know, seriously, you know what?
Speaker 2: I'm not going to lie. If Glimpo had gone with somebody age appropriate and maybe a brunette, because I don't know why blondes, it just kind of irks me.
Speaker 3: I go blonde sometimes when I have the mood. I just dye my whole hair, bleach it off.
Speaker 2: You know what? My hair used to be so blonde and it got darker as I got older.
Speaker 3: My hair used to be bright red. Now it's like brown.
Speaker 2: Oh, shit. Like an auburn?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like a... You can't tell because I had the lights in here and my cat... bit the cord so now it's only green oh.
Speaker 2: Shit how did she not like get electrocuted I.
Speaker 3: Don't know no it's one of the LED things but now this doesn't work so I can't change the light so now it's just green.
Speaker 2: I've been wanting to do that to my room I've been wanting to put like you know little lights in my.
Speaker 3: Room don't let a cat in there yeah no.
Speaker 2: Shit my cat's stupid she wouldn't do that.
Speaker 3: Well thank you so much Daisy for coming on thank.
Speaker 2: You so much for having me it's a blast as always thanks for having me on.
Speaker 3: Well, absolutely, and it's going to happen again, so get ready for it.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: Bye. Thank you for listening. If you need more content or just want to help support the podcast, head on over to patreon.com and search Ouch, Was That a Ghost? If you need some snazzy merch... You can find it at crowdmade.com by searching Ouch, Was That a Ghost? If you have a story you'd like to share, you can email it to ouchwasthataghost at yahoo.com. You can also find us on Facebook and all the other social media platforms under Ouch, Was That a Ghost? All links can also be found on Ouch, Was That a Ghost? Dot com.