Speaker 1: By Billy Cunning him the Great America. And as I look to my left, the body of a hero. Larry Henderson has arrived at Spring Grove Cemetery for proceedings there, and we'll be in tombs sometime later this afternoon. But as we continue, of course, as we're all well aware, yesterday the shocking news came out that we have an American pope for the first time ever. It was thought impossible for lots of reasons, but Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost was elevated from his status as a cardinal. He was only became a cardinal a couple of years years ago, and so many are a commenting whether or not he will be shall we say in the vein of Francis the First, or will he be in the vein of his two predecessors? Will he be a liberal or will he be a conservative? I would note that there is some information available that he was a registered Republican at one point, and he also was a White Sox fan, despite the protestations of the contrary. And there are some conservative commentators like or Loomer, she's branding our new pope already as woke and a Marxist which is a blasphemy in my viewpoint. But the man who set the record straight is Michael McDonald the Catholic League of New York City and Michael McDonald, welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And first of all, Mike, let's talk about what happened yesterday about twelve fifteen, twelve twenty in the afternoon Eastern time. Described the level of shock that you felt when the Cardinals picked an American pope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bill, it's great to be with you. This is a tremendous moment in American history. I mean, you look around Cardinal prevosts Now, Pope Leo the fourteenth wasn't really on anyone's like top five lists. Yeah, you'd see him as on a couple of these lists. Is oh, there's actually another American cardinal. He's actually down in Peru, runs Giasy down there, and he's over in Rome now, but we all forget about him. So, you know, this guy kind of came out, not necessarily out of nowhere, but definitely not in any one's top five lists. And I mean, I guess we do live in the age of Donald Trump. I guess the Vatican worried about getting the tariff, so they bought American I don't know, but this is this is a you know, a tremendous earthquake and and a good thing, and a good thing like this is very exciting. Uh. The American Church is very strong, very vibrant. H you know, you go to particularly these churches that offer the Latin Mass that are much more closer to the tradition of what the church is always taught and always believed in, and they're very vibrant that there's young families with kids. I mean the church my wife and I go to with our our kid is like that. There's a lot of young kids there. You know, you're not seeing so many of the gray haired types you're see in some of these more like boomer churches that just sort of do let's feel good. So this is a good moment for that. Well, we'll have to see how he governs. You know, there's a lot of question marks on that, but this is his first day on the chop that there are signs that people that are hoping for more of a return tradition could be excited about. And then there's other things that might cause a little bit of heartburn. But we'll just have to see. Let's get him the benefit of the doubt. He hasn't I mean, just been on the job for twenty four hours, So let's see what he can do.
Speaker 1: Michael McDonald, I'd look at some point. I guess he can't do it in the first year or two. But at some point Leo the fourteenth is going to tour America. I can only imagine when he comes here and you have a pope speak of the English so well, who was a white Sox fan in Chicago growing up, according to his brother. Of course, now the Cubs are claiming him. The Cubs have a sign up out of Wrigley Field. He's a Cubs fan, but his brother says, we grew up on the South Side as white Sox fans who spent like twenty years as a missionary in Peru. I completely lost touch with him. And then he's plucked down and may use the term obscurity by a pontiff to come eventually worked his way up from the bottom of Rome to picking the archbishops all around the world. And I would think from that circumstance, I don't know what the title was, but he was the guy advising the Pope Francis who to make an archbishop, including the new one we have here in Cincinnati from Chicago. And I would think he was uniquely qualified, but for the fact he was born in America and he was called the least American of the cardinal the cardinals, of all the cardinals here? Was that an insult or accomplishment?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Accomplishment accomplishment?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it depends on who you talk to in terms of the least American of the American titles. I think that's not necessarily a wrong take, but I do think that you know that there is something to be said, uh, particularly what we really needed, Uh, Pope Francis, I'm not trying to do like the cadavers in it back in the seven hundreds and when we're taking up the old pope to lambassed him. But some of his moral teachings were a little lacking in clarity, to be to be nice about it, he he kind of wondered sometimes about the people around him, if they if their hearts were in the right place. And yeah, uh, hopefully the fourteenth has a great story to tell. Uh. You know, he felt really called to do missionary work. He joined the Augustinians, which traces their lineage back to Saint Augustine back in antiquity. Uh. So this is an established order. The most are a lot smaller than they used to be. I mean probably the last big member that they had the people would be familiar with Martin Luther and we know how that turned out. But in terms of pop Leo the fourteenth himself as Cardinal Privos, he went down to Lima Dance Brew. He did a lot of missionary work in there, in remote villages up in the Andes. Uh. And you know, there's there's something nice to see, especially as a Catholic is someone that's deeply in love with their faith. I mean, yesterday he just stopped and said to Hail Mary, which is a good sign for traditionalists, a strong Marriyan devotions, something that you want to keep an eye out for. Uh. And So just in terms of love for the Church, love for Christ, he seems to be starting off on the right foot on that and sending a very strong message that that's going to be the center of his pontificate. And if you look at his first homily today, very strong on that issue as well, in which he's talking about the world needs to uh, the world needs the church really to bear witness to Christ. Christ is the son of God who came to earth to die and save us from sin. Not just this nice guy that said nice things and gave out little platitudes and had some fun sayings, but actually the pathway to salvation. And so I think there's a lot to be optimistic about.
Speaker 1: Well, each side wants to claim him your story that Bill Donnahues on the Catholic League website says that Orthodox Catholics will be happy to learn that Leo the fourteenth is strongly pro life. He opposes abortion, thank god, euthanasia assists at suicide. He also goes on to say he believes in property rights, which Marxists do not believe in. He's also made the case for private property, which is hardly an expression of socialism. He's also spoke about immigration in ways that gives a lot of comfort to shall I say, liberals, how do you explain him going after JD. Vance in a sense a couple months ago in what which the Cardinals said on X that quote JD Vance is wrong. Jesus does not ask us to rank our love for others quote unquote. Now, liberals thought, Okay, that's good, he's going after JD.
Speaker 2: Vance.
Speaker 1: Conservatives think, well, that's good, he's pro life, that healthy babies inside the bodies of healthy mothers should be allowed to live and not be killed in the womb. But as far as the issue of him kind of going after JD. Vance, your reaction to.
Speaker 2: That, yeah, that's that is especially as you know, we're just talking about him being in the Justinian That concept actually comes from sant Agustin that there is ranked love, so there is uh. Yeah, there's definitely some some concerns that politically he may not be on the same footing as JD. Vance. Okay, I understand that. I mean it's great. You know, we just had a Catholic president in this country, allegedly Catholic president that uh, there was a fortune he could justify. Okay, he pulled the rosary out of his pockets every once in a while, but couldn't I couldn't do anything, uh in scept with the actual teachings of the Catholic Church. So you know, it's nice to have actually, uh a person like JD. Vance uh as a Catholic to actually get up there and so actually the Catholic Church has these notions. They're ancient, but you know, we should practice him. And that's that's very refreshing to have somebody in public life that actually takes their faith seriously, uh and can speak to it with a high degree of authority. He just looked at the JD. Vance and he sounds like he knows what he's talking about because he does. Uh. That's that's that's a huge thing to have, particularly for lay people like, oh, look, here's somebody that isn't a priest that out there putting his faith into action, living it at daily and making that the backbone of his public policy. That's a great thing to see. And I would hope I would hope that you know, now that maybe the political climate has changed in Rome, we can look at these things a little bit more clearly, and so actually that would be a benefit to the church and people that are not ordained that are able to live out their faith and expressive faith, and maybe that brings more people to the faith, or at least inspire the people that are already in the faith to actively live out their faith.
Speaker 1: I would note that JD. Vance, who was non religious, converted to Catholicism at my charge Saint Gertrud's and Madera. He's practicing a Roman Catholic. Now, I would point out your article says quote is Popely of the fourteenth a Republican, a Democrat, or an independent. Well, he's a Republican, a registered Republican in Illinois, which is hard to be a Republican in Illinois. In Chicago. He pulled the Republican lever in twenty twelve, twenty fourteen, twenty sixteen, apparently did not vote in the twenty sixteen but chose to vote by absentee in twenty twenty four It appears he's more of a Bush Republican than a Trump Republican. But he's certainly not woke or a Marxist activist, and so each side is pulling him. And I would imagine living in Italy, which is socialist, in Europe, extremely socialist. The poll is the gravitational poll is going to be to the left as opposed to the right. But the Christ is neither Democrat nor Republican, liberal nor conservative, left nor right, not blue nor red. He cares for all people all the time, and salvation is at the heart of what the Christ has preached, and so would. I would anticipate that. Can you imagine what happens in a year or two when he has stadium tours inside this country. What's going to happen.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to be the bigger than when Pope John Paul the Second THI over here now Saint Pope John Paul the second big I think it's I think it's gonna be bigger than that. Just you know, the Pochon Paul the Second, hugely charismatic figure. But it is something to be said about having a native son in the role of the papacy that that's just hugely inspirational. I think again, depending on, as we were talking about before, how closely he works in the tradition, and there are some things that do speak to him being a little bit more traditional. There's something speaking tom be a little bit more on the reformist side of the equation. But depending on how he plays that into Israela, let's see how that plays out. I think if you see somebody that is willing to let traditional Catholics express their love for Jesus the way that they have for centuries from millennia, I think then you see a massive outpouring of love and appreciation for the Pope, and you'll see a big outpouring. But again, you know I've been wrong before. I could be wrong again. Yes, and other stuff, but that's what I would like to see anyway. Maybe it's a wish guest thing.
Speaker 1: You know, Justice David Suitor died yesterday. It looks like many go in as conservatives to the Supreme Court to come out as liberals. I can't recall a circumstance where a liberal when in the US Supreme Court came out a conservative. Things only go one direction, and it would be amazing. But one great sentence or two you having your Catholic League column today, quote if some progressives who wanted Francis or a second are not expressing this main public, don't be fooled, is because they want to have entraded to the new pope. The left exists for one thing, power and they are masters are deceiving people that looks like practicing Roman Catholics today. Well, having Pope Leo the fourteenth someone they can rally around. And so those are your last comments, and I'm thinking, well, we'll see what happens in the future. But if this Pope stays firm, on life issues. If we can all agree that there's difficulties and pregnancies all the time, but can we at least agree that a healthy baby inside the body of a healthy mother should be born and the rest of it can be dealt with through special legislation or adoption, whatever it might be. And if he switches and allow women to become priest or or priest to marry, which wouldn't be as radical, then we're going to have issues. You don't see him breaking with tradition, do you, and having women become priest or somehow supporting abortion on demand. You don't see that happening. If that would happen, the Catholic Church would crumble.
Speaker 2: Yes. No, And you're right on that. And on terms of the Ordained Women ministry nonsense. He's actually been very vocal on that. In that you the Senate on citidelity last year, he did condemn that very vigorously. So that's a good sign on that front. And in terms of his American politics, you know, as far as you can map any sort of prelate of the Catholic Church into America, in politics, he has been very much on the pro life side of just about every single vote primary all these things, and he's spoken very forcefully in defensive life and just real quick bill fun little fact. Yes, on the US Supreme Court, you don't tend to see a lot of people moving from left to right. But interestingly enough, Pope Leo the thirteenth back in the eighteen hundreds was elected because the cardinals thought that Popious the ninth was too conservative. Let's get somebody in there that's a little bit more liberal minded. And he actually went even further to the right on a lot of issues than pop Pious and nine. So this does happen in the particularly in the church. Actually, Popious the ninth another one, was viewed as a liberal and then became much more conservative when he became pope. And Benedict the sixteenth another one. Some of his writings were not like super hardcore tread Catholic, but then when he became pope, he's like, you don't want to I'm bringing back the Latin mass. So just because we have a body of work, that doesn't necessarily mean that's how he's going to govern.
Speaker 1: Well, this is special time to be an American. We have the Olympics are here, the World Cup is here. Donald Trump is here and the pope is here. I mean, if somebody had made that bet a few years ago, i'd bet against it. I don't see an American pope. He's the least American of all the cardinals in America, which I think is a criticism, not a compliment. But we'll see. But once again, Catholic League dodd org. Catholic League dot org, great columns up and we'll see what the next twenty years bring. And Michael, for the first time in my life, we have a pope that's younger than me. So that's that's remarkable. My sister died Rett. And because popes are old, and I'm thinking, well, hell, maybe i'm old. I'm not sure. You know, I'm seventy seven, but hell I feel like thirty seven most of the time. But nonetheless, I got a pope younger than me, so I know I'm getting old. But Michael McDonald Catholic League dot org is the website, great stuff. And once again, God bless Leo the fourteenth. He's got Pete Rose's number fourteen. There's that number again, fourteen, and that's another good sign. But we'll see what happens the next twenty years and Michael McDonald, Catholic League, thanks again for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show this Friday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Thanks Bill, and you're a great American.
Speaker 1: God bless you. Let's continue with more. Look at my left. The proceedings with the fallen Deputy Henderson is preceding Spring Grove Cemetery, an extremely somber occasion. Let's continue with more. One twenty seven Home of your Reds, hopefully a win. A game tonight in Houston. Last night was awful. On news radio seven hundred WLW