Speaker 1: We all love to have fun, and for some of us it's an outlet, the night life, the drinking, and the strange faces we meet along the way. But imagine this instead, You're coaxed into drinking with someone you just met at a bar. He knows you're looking for an escape, and to him, that's a weakness, a weakness he plans to take full advantage of. After a few too many drinks, things start to become fuzzy and you pass out. You've been down this road before. You'll wake up tomorrow as you always do. But this time things are a little bit different. This time he shakes you awake, his weights on top of your body, and his hands are around your neck. He's forcing a bottle of vodka down your throat and emptying the entire contents, not even giving you a chance to breathe ever again. Recording the following podcast content and materials.
Speaker 2: Audience listener this.
Speaker 1: Question, Hey, how's it going.
Speaker 2: I'm Nicole and I'm Ben, and you are listening to Wicked.
Speaker 1: And Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's already open.
Speaker 1: This is the second time we're filming this recording recording, I'm filming. Are you where's the camera my head.
Speaker 2: Weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so basically Ben's mike wasn't on and we were almost halfway through recording, so this is DejaVu.
Speaker 2: So what's up, guys for the second time for this episode, but it's the first for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've never done that before, so I mean it's due to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I got to eat a few more pieces of sushi, so it's okay.
Speaker 2: And you asked me if I was going to open another beer, but I'm still only halfway through this one, so I'll just stretch it out.
Speaker 1: The funny thing, too, is I was not drinking the first case or the first recording, and now I am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fitting. Yeah, So anyways, we should go back to what we were talking about at the last time we recorded the intro, which.
Speaker 1: Was Happy Mother's Day.
Speaker 2: Happy Mother's Day to all the badass moms out there who deserved an awesome Mother's Day. We hope you had it. Yeah, we hope it was awesome.
Speaker 1: I hope it was like the best day ever.
Speaker 2: The absolute most bestest day ever.
Speaker 1: We celebrated about having Margarita's.
Speaker 2: Margarita's Mother's Day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your mom loves tequila.
Speaker 2: He loves tequila. That makes her sound like an alcoholic. She's not.
Speaker 1: She's not.
Speaker 2: She's borderline.
Speaker 1: No, she might listen to this, be careful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this mom is, uh, we're calling you out. This is what's that? What's it called when you go in like, oh, people are screaming at us right now? What it's called? Intervention?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes, yeah, you know. We get her up. What is it called?
Speaker 2: Patron?
Speaker 1: Patron? Like not even once a year and she's still like, she just finished the first one we got her, so she she saves it er that is not an alcoholic.
Speaker 2: No, by no means no. But she does love tequila.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she loves her margarita's.
Speaker 2: And do you know what? We love our patrons.
Speaker 1: We I was like, where are you going with this? Yeah? They're freaking amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, if you didn't know, we have a Patreon and over on Patreon, people sign up to get things like behind the scenes and support us directly, and at the end of every month they get an exclusive Wicked and Graham episode. And we had some people sign up this past week. So I'm going to read off those awesome people who signed up and decided to support us.
Speaker 1: Please do let's do it.
Speaker 2: So first and foremost, we got Brandon Hanson. We got Kara Firestone, who has like one of the most badass names I've ever heard name. I'm just going to say it one more time. I dig it, Kara Firestone. It's a fucking epic.
Speaker 1: Wow, like epic. I shouldn't record you saying her name. It's quite quite a thing, Firestone. Uh.
Speaker 2: And then we got Lisa Medved and Raoul guard Dato. I really hope I said your name right, Raoul.
Speaker 1: Those are awesome. That's all awesome, right, Firestone, Oh my goodness, all four of you are equally awesome and so so so much from the bottom of our hearts. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Because of individuals like you, we get to keep this show going, so thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: We get to have like so much fun that we just want to like re record all of our episodes. Yes, okay, anyway, we also wanted to. We got like, we get some super awesome reviews and we never really read anyone here, and so this week we're reading two of them because they mount my heart and they made me feel good and I just want to share the joy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we got we got our two most recent ones happened like last week. Yes, so tattled on the couch reading them together.
Speaker 1: I know, I love it. So first one was a nan two seven zero eight Apple podcasts, so yeah, I think, oh okay, and from India, which is like amazing. Yeah. Apple podcasts is the ones like you can actually write something, I guess. So this has says hook line and sinker, you've caught me. My friend and I found this while looking for a podcast that covered the Fritzl case, and we've been hooked ever since. My parents listen too to some of the episodes as well, mainly curious because I laugh so much. Love that. I love the range of cases they cover and the fact that they're not covered on other podcasts. Love you, guys, that's awesome, Thank you so much. That is a freaking amazing and a half review. I love it.
Speaker 2: One thing we do try and make sure we like mix in not covered cases with some focular ones.
Speaker 1: And I'm you're better at that than me. I feel like I cover some more well known ones more times than not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we together have a good balance.
Speaker 1: Right, that's true.
Speaker 2: Like I'll look at what we've done if it's more headline type cases, and I'll try and find one that's like a little less known.
Speaker 1: So there's been a few I've covered that I guess it's been smaller exactly.
Speaker 2: And when I'm doing ones that are a little less known, you will specifically go be like I want to do a big one. So yeah, it's just we're working good together that balance need.
Speaker 1: To stop doing because they're hard. Okay, So the next review is from Anastasia seventy nine the best crime podcast ever. OMG, if you're not listening to these two, you are seriously missing out. I absolutely love their banter and commentary. Your information is spot on and keeps me on the edge of my seat. Thank you so much. You make my work life so much more.
Speaker 2: Entertaining, and you make our podcast so much more enjoyable to do. Seriously, so awesome. That was so kind.
Speaker 1: Those reviews actually just like keep me going. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: They do, they do, and yet we really sorry A little another little note for this one too. We try to make sure we do banter. We want to be honest and we want to be who we are. We're not trying to do scripted podcasts by any means or anything like that. There are true crime podcasts where you go there and you listen to the story and that's it. Yeah, but we want to be true to ourselves and have fun and engage with you guys. The entire point is we want to sit down, like feel like we're all chatting at a time.
Speaker 1: Totally. Well. I think it's also super cool that people get to know us. If we didn't have that banter, you wouldn't necessarily get to know that you really like chocolate mount I fucking love chocolate, right, And there are some other podcasts I listen to that don't have that, and like I don't know anything about the house. That doesn't mean I don't like the show, but.
Speaker 2: It's just different and that's totally okay. Yeah, And it's totally okay what we do and we don't want to change that.
Speaker 1: Everything is just totally okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we totally love the fact that you guys are here for that. Totally thank you.
Speaker 1: But anyway, if you want to leave us review and make our day, we would super appreciate it. Five stars are higher, you.
Speaker 2: Know, not fishing for anything, you know, Oh.
Speaker 1: Just kidding, No, honestly, it really does. It honestly really makes my day. I'm not even lying, you know it does.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, So you can go give us a rating of five stars on Spotify and you can do the same thing on Apple Podcasts. But on Apple podcast you can also go and give us a little written review too, So we appreciate all that, and you guys are absolutely incredible.
Speaker 1: Thanks totally.
Speaker 2: On a not so positive note, a little more of a negative note, what she got So we were all we all know, well not everyone, but a real headliner in the true crime news recently is Meade Lake. Which is that body that was found in the barrel?
Speaker 1: Yikes? They found another one yikes?
Speaker 2: Which actually I should go over to Instagram and give a thanks to the individual who pointed it.
Speaker 1: Out that yeah, because I had heard the one and I was like fascinated, but I had not heard yet that there was another body found.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Mandy was the one who sent it to us. I should have known that. So Mandy Madson, who is a fit angel Mama nine to twelve on Instagram, Yeah, she sent us the link for us to find out that there has been another body discovered in the lake. So the lake's like super receding because it's like drought like crazy. Right now, I've got an article here from CNN written by Rachel Ramirez and Michelle Watson, which is the article that we were sent. I'm going to read it here so you guys can get caught up on what's going on on Lake please do so. More human remains were found at Lake Mead over the weekend, less than a week after a body in a barrel was discovered at the reservoir. National Park Service rangers responded to a call on Saturday afternoon that reported the remains in Calvill Bay. The Clark County Medieval Nope Medical Examiner is assisting with determining the cause of death, according to the NPS, which said there is no further information available at this time. It was the second set of human remains found at Lake Mead, the count country's largest reservoir, as water levels plunged. The first body discovered was on May first, was likely the murder victim who died from a gunshot wound quote sometime in the mid seventies to early eighties, based on clothing and footwear that the victim was found.
Speaker 1: With wild So yeah, I mean when they found that first body in the barrel, they did anticipate that they would be finding more. Yeah, so, and they called it.
Speaker 2: People are kind of holding their breath thinking that more to come.
Speaker 1: Still, Oh my gosh, let's not drain the ocean. Lord knows what we'll find in there.
Speaker 2: We will find Dexter's stash.
Speaker 1: Every time we have a chance to bring up Dexter, Man, we're just.
Speaker 2: Going to because dex is the shit.
Speaker 1: That's so just yeah, he's awesome.
Speaker 2: And we're not talking about Dexter's lab, although Dexter's lab is fucking dope. That Dexter's pretty cool to.
Speaker 1: Talk about Dexter Morgan.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know, but Dexter's lab is also Okay, Dexter's mom like Dexter's lab his mom. Yeah, super thick, super hot, just say it.
Speaker 1: Good Lord, Okay, we're talking about Gilbert now, sorry, Gilbert Paul Jordan. Okay, okay, you're good with that.
Speaker 2: I'm good with that. Let's talk about Gilbert Paul.
Speaker 1: Jordan, also known as the Boos and Barber the Boos and Barber, the Boos, and which will make sense to you all soon enough.
Speaker 2: It's like some Sweeney Todd shit. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'm going to start. I also want to say, like, my intro for this week was freaking epic.
Speaker 2: It was seriously well done.
Speaker 1: Snaps to me, is that a thing? Oh my god, not do that something?
Speaker 2: We are too tight?
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, let's let's let's go back on track. Okay, So I'm starting this case off slightly different. I wanted to read out a police issued alert that went out on February third of two thousand and five by the Sanich Police Department. And Sanich is a city on Vancouver Island for anyone that doesn't know. The alert was to warn the public to be cautious of a recently released individual and it went as follows. Gilbert Paul Jordan, age seventy three, is the subject of this alert. Jordan is five nine and weighs one hundred and seventy four pounds. He is partially bald, with gray hair and a grey go tea. He has blue eyes and wears glasses. Jordan is currently in the Victoria area but has no fixed address. Jordan has a significant criminal record, including handslaughter and indecent assault of a female. He uses alcohol to lure his victims. Jordan's target victim group is adult females. Jordan is subject to court ordered conditions including abstain absolutely from the consumption of alcohol, not to be in the company of any female person or persons in any place where alcohol is being either consumed or possessed by that person or persons. If you observe the subject in violation of any of the above conditions, please call the Sandwich Police Department or nine to one to one.
Speaker 2: Well, he sounds like a real piece of shit.
Speaker 1: He's a winner, winner and a half.
Speaker 2: I maybe not even close to.
Speaker 1: No, he's shit, he's shit, he's nothing.
Speaker 2: I feel like we're just those old two old guys in the Muppets, like whoa, that was great, it was awesome, it was alright, and it was okay. Well there's some discossed bad thing. It's just like all of a sudden, they're just booing the person, you know, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: So I have to say though, first off, seventy three, Yeah, it is wild to me to have an alert like that sent out. No kidding about you, like whoa.
Speaker 2: At seventy three, I'm just gonna be feeding ducks and probably illegally fishing in a park in a pond or something.
Speaker 1: Don't you already do that.
Speaker 2: Sh just kidding.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't, okay. And if an alert of that matter is sent out, should maybe perhaps that person not be just like locked in jail? You would think, like, I actually don't get that alert whatsoever. It makes no sense to me. Yeah, this whole case makes no sense.
Speaker 2: When was that alert sent out? Sorry?
Speaker 1: Two thousand and five.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and five, okay.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and five. So I just feel like, if an alert has to be so just keep the person in jail, for the love of God, please, Okay. So we're going to go through Gilbert's life and how it came to be that an alert warning the public was issued regarding him. Gilbert was born on December twelfth, nineteen thirty one, in Vancouver, BC, the second son to be born to Jack and Winnifred Elsie. His brother's name was Bud.
Speaker 2: Little ditty about Jack and Winnifred Elsie.
Speaker 1: Oh man, we are too tired.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Around the time Gilbert and Bud's parents were separate or holy shit, wow. Around the time Gilbert and Bud's parents were separating, Gilbert dropped out of school in grade eight, though their mother was still very much so a part of the boy's life, they lived mostly with their father growing up. It was said this was the case because the boys wanted to stay in Vancouver to continue their education, because as far as I know, the mom moved to the island, and that their father made more money. Gilbert's brother Bud said Gilbert was always closer to their mom. He also mentioned an article that he wasn't aware of any traumatic events that could have made Gilbert the way he was.
Speaker 2: Huh okay, Yeah, So most cases it's usually like there's some history, but in this case, there's no indicating history to point towards his future actions.
Speaker 1: Well, there's one interesting noteworthy tippit, and that was that the mother was a devote Methodist who did not believe in the consumption of alcohol. Not a drop of booze was allowed in the house.
Speaker 2: That seems like some fucking foreshadowing right there.
Speaker 1: Well, because I'm just thinking like, sometimes when you're not allowed something, it almost like makes you want it more, right, Oh exactly. So if Gilbert phoned his mother while intoxicated, she would hang up on him like I'm not fucking talking to you. And Gilbert's alcohol stem back to his teenage years. His brother stated he was probably an alcoholic by the time he was twenty.
Speaker 2: I mean, twenty's not like unreasonable to have something like that, not that that's a good thing or like I'm aiming and saying that, Oh yeah, you know, twenty year olds are all alcoholics. But I mean when you get to that age, it's like alcohol is a new thing and you're exploring it. Kids drink a lot. I certainly know around here where we were, in a northern city where there's nothing to fucking do, a lot of kids that age are just partying hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like on the weekend and not like devouring a bottle of vodka every fucking day.
Speaker 2: There's a that's debatable.
Speaker 1: There's a difference.
Speaker 2: I know some people like that or new.
Speaker 1: Okay. Anyway. His lengthy, lengthy, oh criminal record started in nineteen fifty when Gilbert was only eighteen years old. He was sentenced to twelve months in jail for the conviction of theft, and it didn't get much better from there. Throughout the nineteen fifties, his rap sheet would include breaking and entering theft and numerous more auto thefts.
Speaker 2: Cool, so he's just a big old bag of dicks.
Speaker 1: Yep, sweet, like you don't even know. You don't even know.
Speaker 2: Actually, I've been halfway through this case with you already, so well, actually I do know a little bit.
Speaker 1: I do. Oh yeah, we're god already.
Speaker 2: Wait, we didn't get much further than this.
Speaker 1: We got quite a bit further than this. In nineteen sixty one, Gilbert had a more serious charge against him for the abduction of a five year old Indigenous girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah. See that fucking gets me. That's that's fucking trash.
Speaker 1: He was found in a gravel pit by police with the girl in his car. He got off the charge after a stay of proceedings was entered.
Speaker 2: Which is fucking bullshit. You abduct a five year old.
Speaker 1: Girl and it's just like that's wild.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely absurd, it's absurd.
Speaker 1: Like that's just it's disgusting. Actually, yeah, like that's just whoa like.
Speaker 2: I yeah, sorry, I just you know how I am when it's like law enforcement just looks the other way and lets shit go. I know, like that that's what fucking gets to me.
Speaker 1: Well, have fun with this one, this case.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm sure I will.
Speaker 1: The following years, he would be convicted of more theft public intoxication.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you gonna explain this now? Why you're laughing?
Speaker 1: Because the whole time when we were recording last time, I kept just saying intoxification, Like what is intoxification? Like, I literally could not say intoxication.
Speaker 2: It's because you're intoxificated.
Speaker 1: When I wasn't. I was drinking water, but intoxific Now that I've had soups of wine, I can say it. Okay, logic, public intoxication after holding up traffic on the Lion Lionsgate Bridge and threatening to jump off the.
Speaker 2: Bridge, It'll let him.
Speaker 1: Robbery, assault causing bodily harm, contempt of court after addressing the magistrate with a Nazi salute, d bag and rape. He never seemed to serve much time for any of these incidents. Charges would either be withdrawn, acquitted, or he'd serve a very short sentence in jail, like it is infuriating what this guy gets away with, no kidding. From nineteen sixty five to nineteen eighty eight, he would be linked to the deaths of upward of ten women, but was only ever convicted for one of them.
Speaker 2: And that again, absolute fucking bullshit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we will be definitely going into more detail with that his victims were Indigenous women of Vancouver's downtown east Side. Now we talked a bit about the downtown Vancouver's east Side when we are covering in the Robert Picton case. But to refresh your memory, it essentially an area of Vancouver that has been heavily stricken with drug addiction, overdoses, poverty, sex, work disease, mental illness. It is unfortunately not a very safe area, which I mean.
Speaker 2: Of course, first and foremost, it's absolutely a shame that the individuals in the area are going through that sort of lifestyle and that sort of poverty. But then like the secondary note that doesn't generally get talked about a whole lot is like that area of Vancouver. It's absolutely beautiful. You drive through there, it's a nice area. I mean, of course, other than the poverty that's President's and that sort of stuff. Yeah President not President. So you're looking at a nice city with beautiful history and architecture and all that sort of stuff in the area. So you have people and the city that's just seeing hard times and falling, and it's just an absolute shame.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's like to drive down the areas got wrenching, really is. Robert's victim count was much higher than Gilbert's, but they preyed on women in the same neighborhood and the poor women in the area. With Robert's reign of terror and Gilbert's their time slightly overlapped, so Robert's acts were from nineteen seventy eight to two thousand and one and Gilbert's nineteen sixty five to nineteen eighty eight. So really, like a lot of these women just didn't stand a chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is just like classic British Columbia, because there's Indigenous women going missing left, right and fucking center for whatever the reasons are, and the RCMP just look the other way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because really, when I said, like these women didn't send a chance, I never even said that anything to do with like the bias that the police had and like letting these serial killers get away with what they were getting away with for so fucking long. Yeah, like that is long stints of time. Gilbert's mo would be that he'd typically find women in bars, buy them drinks, pay them for sex, and encourage them to continually drink with him. When they passed out from the alcohol consumption, they already consumed, Gilbert would essentially pour more booze down their throats, resulting in extreme alcohol poisoning, and being that the majority of his victims suffered from alcoholism, a reported death with this cause didn't get the attention from the placer required or deserved.
Speaker 2: Just turning a blind eye and using that as their fucking cover.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, you look at the Highway of Tears. It's like, oh, these transient type women who go missing, Well, of course they're going to go missing because they're out there hitch hiking and stuff, and they'll show up eventually. They just turn that fucking blind eye. So these women, it's like, oh, they're alcoholics. Of course they're going to die of alcoholism. It's like, not necessarily.
Speaker 1: And meanwhile, there's these free, nasty motherfuckers out there that are just like taking advantage.
Speaker 2: Oh, we have to praying on that wholeheart of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they know that they're just probably gonna get away with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Although the newspapers often described the women as sex workers, not all were involved in sex in sex work. The first women known to have died in Gilbert's company from alcohol poisoning was in nineteen sixty five. A switchboard operator named Ivy Rose Alswald, who was found naked and dead in a Vancouver hotel. Her blood alcohol level was point five one.
Speaker 2: That is ridiculous, like fucking holy.
Speaker 1: Shit, So to exaggerate on that, I mean, I wasn't one hundred percent sure, like what exactly that meant? So sober like zero right, legally intoxicate and here we go and is point zero eight? So meani, it's still legal for you to drive. And that number though, could be different in like other areas that don't be like oh, waken Ingraham, they said, it's point zero eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, check your local laws before you go drinking and driving or just don't drink, don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So very impaired is point zero eight two point forty and this blood alcohol level you may have difficulty walking, speaking, me reading. Other symptoms may include confusion, nausea, and drowsiness. And then above point four percent you are at risk for serious complications. At this blood alcohol level you may be at risk for coma or death. Like that is freaking high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she was like a full percent of higher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So she at point five to one was more than six times the legal limit for impaired driving like above crazy, which is a lot? Yeah, a lot?
Speaker 2: It's how much a lot?
Speaker 1: Oh? I was just like you want me to go back. No charges were laid against Gilbert for the death of Ivy Rose. The coroner's and CA inquery done on the body reported recent bruises on Ivy Roses, scalp, rose or nose. Sorry, there's lights outside that just really creeped me out. But hopefully it's just someone driving by. Hopefully we don't get accepted by aliens.
Speaker 2: What I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just saw like flashing lights as trying to someone driving by.
Speaker 2: How much have you had to drink? Is that? Like? What is in that cup?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I've had like two SIPs of old wine.
Speaker 2: How old is that wine? Okay, it's not wine, it's just vodka.
Speaker 1: Okay. So anyway, this poor woman had recent bruises on her scalp, nose, lips, and chin, but they were considered superficial. There was no evidence of violence or suspicion of foul play. In fact, Gilbert was in the room and the one who reported Ivy Roses deceased the morning he was found with many of Ivy Rose's belongings. I don't know if it was due to the fact of him just being in her room or if he had actually had some of her belongings like stowed away. But a charge of theft was considered, but later to be dean Or determined there was insufficient evidence, and Gilbert was released.
Speaker 2: Insufficient evidence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I just feel like, if you're in the room with someone who had died with that high of levels, I mean like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Playing Devil's advocate here, good luck proving that he forced booze down someone's throat though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, that's the that's the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the only thing to come of this incident was Gilbert essentially learning how to get away with murder d d D. He wouldn't strike again in this way, however, for many years. Shortly after Ivy murder, Gilbert actually went through the process to change his last name. His last name was Elsie, and he had changed it to Jordan. He did this due to the embarrassment that his him having the last name of Elsie was causing his family.
Speaker 2: I'd be embarrassed to be fucking related to.
Speaker 1: This guy too, yep, And some say that would also be the reason he didn't commit another murder for some time, but he was also busy starting a career as a barber and getting married in nineteen seventy two. He actually married a Prince George woman.
Speaker 2: And here's where it gets close to home. That's our city.
Speaker 1: So when I first read Prince George, I had no idea there was any correlation to this case. I had a total Will Smith moment, and I was like, keep my city's name out of your fucking mouth. Wow, that was actually went through my city, not or my brain. And I was like, Oh, this's mad.
Speaker 2: You're just like, I'm just gonna just bit slap this whole fucking article.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I don't want to be involved.
Speaker 2: Wow, he's just gonna pulk fucking Will Smith Chris Rock, I see which I'm out.
Speaker 1: But I honestly had no idea that he lived in Prince George for for a period of time, and he racked up even more charges in and around the area, including but not limited to indecent exposure in Mackenzie in October of nineteen seventy three. You're good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just reminded me like those the like the medicine commercials you see on TV. Where it's like so and so experimental medicine side effects may and clue but not limited to, nausea, vomiting, shitting yourself like falling asleep, or you walk like dying Like Jesus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have away with words, so in decent exposure in Mackenzie in October of nineteen seventy three. He was convicted of drinking and driving in Prince George in February of nine, nineteen seventy four, in which he was fined a hunter Bucks. Okay, I mean I guess the hunter Bucks would have been a bit more back then, but even still. In March of that same year, convicted of assault and convicted to two years less a day, but appealed the sentence or sorry, appealed and the sentence was reduced to six months. April nineteen seventy five, convicted in Prince George of indecently assaulting a female. In October of nineteen seventy five, he was convicted of endangering the safety of an aircraft in flight. You look confused.
Speaker 2: I just had like a thought, if he indecently assaulted someone, that hences that you can decently assault someone. Oh gosh, like that that terminologies that just doesn't line up for me, you know. Yeah, I know what they're saying, but it's like.
Speaker 1: But that's just there's no opposite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, how do you decently assault someone?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, you don't. That's that's how you do it.
Speaker 2: I think the opposite in reality is just assault. In decent assault is probably like sexual assault, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, So this endangering the safety of an aircraft thing, so that this was the flight that his wife was on, who was in the process of getting the hell away.
Speaker 2: From him, oh snap.
Speaker 1: Because he abused the fuck out of her and she was in and out of the hospital like repeatedly. So he phoned and said there was a bomb on the flight. Okay, but because the flight had actually hadn't actually taken off yet, the charge was successfully appealed. What no, yeah, are like nowadays you would just you would never be able to get right away with something like that. There's just no way. There's no way a.
Speaker 2: Bomb threat at all. That's you can't get away with the bomb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he did. Crown Counsel in Prince George attempted to have Gilbert declared a dangerous sexual offender. I mean, in the span of nine months, he had two incidents where he tried to force himself on a female and that indecent exposure I mentioned in Mackenzie. Yeah, that was with children, was it?
Speaker 2: Are you fucking kidding? No?
Speaker 1: He apparently invited them over to watch TV, but instead exposed himself to them.
Speaker 2: This fucking douche connect.
Speaker 1: That's freaking disgusting.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: If he was declared guilty of this, he would have been locked up indefinitely. The judge, however, ruled that he was not a dangerous sexual offender and unlikely to commit further violent acts.
Speaker 2: Wow, this guy's fucking useless. Like, fuck, this guy like he's more useless than like a blockbuster fucking gift card. Looks that's how useless he is.
Speaker 1: Oh, I would have some uses for that, but I don't have any uses for him exactly.
Speaker 2: He's more useless than that.
Speaker 1: So this's it's laughable because Gilbert was just getting started. Oh shit, he was one hundred and ten percent just getting started. Only three months later, on February twenty first, nineteen seventy seven, Gilbert drove to a psychiatric hospital in Edmonton, claimed to be a doctor, and left with a female patient, a forty seven year old woman who had the mental capacity of someone between the ages of eight and ten. No, no, yep, no like disturbing. She wasn't found for three days. Gilbert was charged with rape, sexual intercourse with a feeble minded, kidnapping, abduction of a female intent, gross indecency, theft over two hundred an assault causing bodily harm.
Speaker 2: This is fucking disturbing, holy.
Speaker 1: Shit, due to the distress it may cause the woman. She did not take the stand at trial, so therefore no supporting evidence was heard. It was agreed that Gilbert would plead guilty to the assault charge if sentenced to time already served, which was twenty six months, and on the basis a dangerous sexual offender application would not be pursued.
Speaker 2: What would not be pursued?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he learned from that last one. Let's not try to get into that again. He might not have been so lucky, right.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, Okay, because this is the sort of shit that fucking bugs me When shit could have been prevented. When someone turns and looks the other way and makes a decision like this, this what fucking bugs me.
Speaker 1: Well, like, yeah, he just destroyed people's lives and like the victims, I mean they died, and then like just think of the surrounding people, right, like their loved ones and stuff, like he just destroyed so many lives.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and it's a ripple effect, like you say, it just goes outwards to other people. Yep.
Speaker 1: So the Vancouver's Son did a special report on Gilbert in nineteen eighty eight and had a bulleted list of his convictions and offenses from nineteen fifty two to nineteen eighty seven. Forty three bullets, forty three things that this motherfucker did.
Speaker 2: So this was in what year, nineteen eighty so just.
Speaker 1: From nineteen fifty two to nineteen eighty seven, like this okay.
Speaker 2: But it was bulleted in nineteen eighty seven in the paper.
Speaker 1: In nineteen eighty eight. Yeah, they had written and there was literally forty three bullets of like shit that he had done wrong.
Speaker 2: So there's already this in the paper in nineteen eighty eight, when in two thousand and five, the very first bulletin you read to us, there's another one put out with a public warning.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well we'll just get into this here.
Speaker 2: Like what what did the.
Speaker 1: Like it's amazing. Some people just get away like I don't understand because that was forty three bullets did not even list many of the offenses, including the deaths that he committed and got away with the like that we're just about to discuss here.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, all right, okay?
Speaker 1: So Mary Johnson November thirtieth, nineteen eighty died at the age of forty two with a blood alcohol level of point three four. A week prior to Mary's death, she had notified her sister in law she believed someone wanted to kill her. The sister in law notified the police of this, but nothing was done, and an inquiry at the time concluded Mary's death was unnatural and accidental. Less than a year later, Barbara Paul would find herself in Gilbert's presence. It was September eleventh, nineteen eighty one, and Barbara died at the age of twenty seven with a blood alcohol level of point four three. Deemed that Barbara was most likely a chronic alcoholic. Her death was deemed unnatural and accidental.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Again. Not even a year later, Mary John's would pass away on July thirtieth, nineteen eighty two. Her death was a bit different in that she died in Gilbert's barber shop. In the early nineteen eighties, Gilbert operated a lease barber shop at two five zero three Kinsway in Vancouver called the Slocan Barber Shop. I posted a photo of it on Instagram. Mary's blood alcohol level was enough to kill her twice at point seven to six.
Speaker 2: Holy shit.
Speaker 1: The corner deemed there was no indication of foul play and noted she had been drinking quality alcohol the previous evening with the friend Gilbert. He said, it's my feeling that she ingested an immense quality of alcohol without realizing the lethal potentiality of it.
Speaker 2: That much. I highly doubt that. But what about maybe I don't know, looking back on Gilbert's record and seeing that maybe he was also involved in someone dying with a unusually high blood alcohol level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe not involved with but this, like that would have been the fourth one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like why hello?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean yeah, like it doesn't make any sense, like this shit's happening in the same city and stuff.
Speaker 2: Too, right, But with those other ones, was he present or actually like a lot of it too at that time when they were occurring though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of them, Like he was present, Oh really, Like, yeah, he would be, or he would have get his lawyer involved and they would like go tell to notify the police and stuff. But they always had some concoction, like he was really really good at lying, like really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But it doesn't matter how good at lying you are when year after year you turn up with oh, I was drinking with this person and they died of alcohol poisoning.
Speaker 1: And then oh, I was drinking with this person they also died.
Speaker 2: Oh I was also drinking with this person and they also died of alcohol poisoning. Yeah, that's a little bit fucking suspicious. Once as an accident, twice as a coincidence, three times. Uh uh, shit's going wrong for sure.
Speaker 1: Oh I agree, I really agree. So before Gilbert's next murder was committed, he would find himself getting married once again. I was fine, It blows my fucking mind all these people be getting married. But anyway, people like this are usually master manipulating. I know, I know, it does make sense. I just it doesn't. It does, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: So, not.
Speaker 1: Surprisingly, it was a very short marriage four and a half months. This is wild what I'm about to tell you. One particular evening, Gilbert brought a woman home with him. They were both very intoxificate. Oh my god, I don't know what is with that intoxicated.
Speaker 2: They were both married oxificated. What is up with me?
Speaker 1: I'm getting it mixed up with something and I don't even know what. But he's getting mixed up with intoxic It's really hilarious. Okay, his wife, you gotta listen here, baby, I'm.
Speaker 2: Trying, but I'm still laughing at intoxificated.
Speaker 1: His wife obviously didn't want this woman in her house and asked her to leave, and instead of leaving, though, she grabs a kitchen knife and threatens to attack Gilbert's wife in her own home. Gilbert the whole time denied she was even his wife and said she was just the cleaning lady.
Speaker 2: Holy shit. Wow, all right.
Speaker 1: His wife fled to the bathroom to avoid being attacked, and when it was finally quiet, she exited the bathroom only to witness her husband having sex with this women, this woman in their bed.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Gilbert later tried to reconcile with his wife, but the damage was done. He was most certainly not marriage material. No kidding like that is so disturbing, beyond anything I've ever read, Well, I've read pretty shitty things actually, but like in a marriage, Oh, she's just my cleaning lady. And then she has to go and hide in her own home and then she comes out and you're you're like fucking someone, Yeah, Like is that a joke.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm just gonna throw the obvious out here. There's cheating. He's clearly cheating on it, right, that's fucking bad. But in the moment where his wife is fucking terrified for her life and he decides I'm horny and I'm going to fuck some chick in the next room.
Speaker 1: It's so disturbing to me, Like it makes me sick. Yeah, so sick. It wasn't until December fifteenth, nineteen eighty four, Gilbert would strike again again at the barber shop. Patricia Thomas was found after Gilbert called her death in. She was forty years old with a blood alcohol level of point five to one jeez. An inquiry into the indigenous woman's death reported she drank enough to pass out, then apparently woke up and continued drinking until she passed out once again. An autopsy was done was also done because of external evidence of recent trauma, but were deemed relatively trivial and could have been the result of a fall while intoxific and oh my god, intoxicated again. You're not going to live this again. Death was classified as unnatural and accidental. Did you even hear anything?
Speaker 2: I just said no, I did not hear the last sentence. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're gonna move on to this, this next one. I think before we yes, I want to talk about this next one before we chat.
Speaker 2: Okay, it real quick. The death was deemed accidental, you said.
Speaker 1: Right, accidental and unnatural.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay.
Speaker 1: In June of the following year, Patricia Andrew. So this is two Patricia's in a row here. I think we have Yep. She was a mother of four, passed away again at the barber shop. So this is three at the.
Speaker 2: Barber shop, at the barber shop, only.
Speaker 1: His place work. Yeah, this place of work. Her blood alcohol level was point seventy nine. Experts say she would have had to drink one point one three six milliwaiters or forty ounces of hard liquor all at once to get that kind of reading.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, So she down to forty.
Speaker 1: Apparently, that's what they think, being that Patricia's heart and liver showed chronic alcohol abuse. You guessed it. Her death was deemed unnatural and accidental.
Speaker 2: Holy shit. Okay, no one's asking these questions yet.
Speaker 1: See, because I find it very weird that it's like three of them are at like his workplace. Yeah, like that's messed. Yeah, I don't know. I mean I don't feel like people die of alcohol poisoning very much, do they? Not that often?
Speaker 2: I mean it happens, yeah, but extreme with.
Speaker 1: That high, Like that's almost someone's doing that to you.
Speaker 2: And then for it to happen at a single fucking barbershop, and then when it's not at that barber shop but that same dude who owns the barbershop as present. Uh, I'm sorry, but you might want to look into that.
Speaker 1: Shit because we have more. On September twenty fifth, nineteen eighty six, Valmadoro Gibbons was Gilbert's next victim. She was thirty eight and died with a point six y three blood alcohol rating. Her estranged husband was to pick her up from pick her up from downtown Vancouver and bring her to their once shared Burnaby home, as she had a birthday gift for their twelve year old son, but she wasn't waiting for him in the lobby where she'd been living. Instead, she was found in a room other than her own, with no money, even though she would have just cashed her wel for check, and no liquor other than Chinese cooking wine, which wasn't something she would drink. Huh. Veronica Harry was Gilbert's next victim, and she passed away at the Clifton Hotel in a room Gilbert rented. Of course, it was November nineteenth, nineteen eighty six, so less than two months since his last victim. Gilbert said they had been drinking together for two days. Her blood alcohol level was actually only point zero four, but as always, he got away with it.
Speaker 2: Of course, that's still a high number.
Speaker 1: Well that's you could drive it that though.
Speaker 2: Point zero four point zero four point four. Sorry my mistake.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Vanessa Lee Buckner would be Gilbert's next victim on October twelfth, nineteen eighty seven, and this death would thankfully change the story.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Vanessa was similarly found dead and naked on the floor after spending a night with Gilbert. She had just given birth to a daughter two weeks prior, which is absolutely heartbreaking.
Speaker 2: No kidding.
Speaker 1: She was of mixed white European and black African roots, so non indigenous as his other victims were. Her blood alcohol level was the highest yet, at a whopping point nine to one. Holy fuck, Like what yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: How is that even possible?
Speaker 1: I don't even know. Her family pressed the police to investigate further. They had apparently just spoken to her earlier that day, and they said she seemed really good and was talking about her baby. They did not believe that she had a drinking problem. Though she may not have had a drinking problem, some reports say she was a user of various drugs and that she had lost custody of her newborn baby, who had been born with a drug dependency. Sorry. Either way, it was her death and that high of a rating that led police, like the point ninety one sorry, yeah, that led police to begin their investigation into similar alcohol related deaths.
Speaker 2: Took them long enough.
Speaker 1: It took shit so fucking long. That is so long, Like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't understand how someone can get to point nine. That is absolutely absurd. So the fact that they finally said, hmm, that's unusually high.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fucking.
Speaker 2: Scary in itself, because point five point four. That's all unusually high. Okay, maybe point four because that's like where you start to fucking die. Yeah, Okay, maybe I can see that, but we've had point five. I think you said point six. Definitely a point seven.
Speaker 1: Think there's a point seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they haven't questioned those that's just uh alcoholism.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I said it in the intro because like we'll get there a little bit, but I don't really talk about it. But like he they'd be passing out and he would literally like wake them up, and he put all his body weight on them and pretty much strangle them and shove like a bottle into their mouth and just let it drain. Yeah, holy shit, Like that's disturbing. Actually, and I didn't put in here, but I'm pretty I'm pretty sure that it was Vanessa that like she was barfing up black bile or something too. Okay, like, oh my gosh, because and a lot of these deaths too, like it was that they were they would actually be like a fixiation because like they're they're puking, but at that high of alcohol level, apparently your reflexes don't work properly, and so you're just like drowning. I guess with your people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you drown your own puke.
Speaker 1: Oh God, Like, that's just terrible.
Speaker 2: And I would assume they're probably drowning on a lot of alcohol. Toubing yeah, down throat yeah.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, the police were not moving quick enough and there would be one more casualty.
Speaker 2: Oh fuck.
Speaker 1: On November ninth, nineteen eighty seven, Edna Shade was found dead in another hotel. She was nicknamed Auntie for the kindness she would show to young sex workers. She was found naked with a blood alcohol rating of point twelve. On November sixteenth, Gilbert was placed under surveill they'd watch Gilbert search the streets and bars of the downtown east Side and take various Indigenous women to hotel rooms. On one occasion, police were ease dropping from an adjacent room and could hear Gilbert saying to the victim, have a drink down the hatch, baby, twenty bucks if you drink it right now, like disturbing yep. During this period that they were watching him, they saved four women from similar fates as the others, and arrested Gilbert for the murder of Vanessa Buckner.
Speaker 2: And finally they were able to start string and shit together.
Speaker 1: Gilbert was the first known Canadian to use alcohol as a murder weapon. Initially charged with the first degree murder, which was changed to manslaughter before his trial started. Gilbert was found guilty for the death of Vanessa Buckner and sentenced to fifteen years in prison, which was later reduced to nine years on appeal. And what Gilbert actually ended up serving was six years. Huh And he was only ever tried for that one murder?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like you said, he was only tried for the.
Speaker 1: One Okay, yeah, Like I don't I don't get that.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, No, that's not cool. Fuck all right, sorry, emotional roller coaster right now.
Speaker 1: So after his nineteen ninety four release, he was placed on a three year probation with heavy restrictions. But in nineteen ninety seven, Gilbert was a freeman, a freeman to keep reoffending until the day he died. I'm not going to go on a shit ton of detail here because I found it actually ridiculously hard to find exactly what he did once released from prison after serving that manslaughter charge. I feel like people probably just gave up on him at that point. I mean, it's pretty fucked up, like how what he gets away with, like it's actually anger it anger it angers me. But it was very obvious that he consistently reoffended and was consistently in and out of jail for breaking his probation. In August of two thousand and four, after he'd done an immense amount of shit, Gilbert was arrested in las Or one last time in Winnipeg. Two days prior, he was identified as being at a party in Swift Current, Saskatchewan, binge drinking with Barb Berkeley. Barb was a long term resident of the hotel they were partying at and had a serious drinking problem. Barb had to be taken a hospital by a friend, a and hotel employee after being found in bad condition.
Speaker 2: Did she survive?
Speaker 1: She did survive, Thank God. He would later be acquitted of the charges, and upon his release, police issued that public warning I read at the beginning of the podcast. Thankfully low that warning wasn't necessarily needed because Gilbert died the following year in two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: Good riddance.
Speaker 1: I wanted to finish off with a quote, just in case you didn't think Gilbert was a complete piece of shit already.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm pretty sure we do.
Speaker 1: At one point, he did an interview with a Vancouver Sun reporter saying that the woman whose deaths he had been linked to were all on their last legs. I didn't give a damn who I was drinking with. I mean, we're all dying sooner or later, whether it's in the bar, across the street, or wherever. Gilbert was a man with no remorse for the damages he caused and lives he took.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. I like doing that. So assuming his sentence that he just urs his statement that he said saying we're all dying anyways, I mean that's true, true, So assuming we're taking the truth out of his statement, we're all dying anyways, right, that doesn't give you the right to take away someone's last moments on earth, or last years, whatever, last breath. It's not yours to take. That person might stop drinking tomorrow, that person might even continue drinking, but they might save someone else's life, they might have an impact, they might have more to give, they might have more to live for. It's not yours to fucking take whether we're all going to die or not.
Speaker 1: Wow, ben fuck him. Way to give us all goosebumps. Yeah, it's sad. This case is unbelievable, and I actually can't believe that I haven't really heard much more of it, being that it's so close to home. But wow, well I is a mofo piece of shit. That's how I'm ending this podcast. But he was just disgusting. Honestly, I was listening to a podcast about this prior to I sometimes just do that, and I was just freaking livid, like the amount of time I was in my car and just be like no, like you have to be kidding me, because it's like I can't believe he just time and time and time and time got away with this stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's malarkey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, so thank you for putting us to that roller coaster.
Speaker 1: You're welcome.
Speaker 2: It was not fun. Fuck this dude. RCMP needs to They've improved, don't.
Speaker 1: I feel like they have improved?
Speaker 2: Yeah, past British Columbian RCMP IF in nineteen seventy eighties, nineties, RCMPR listening to this right now, get your shit together in the future.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, there was some serial killers at that time that got Lewis and shouldn't have Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, yeah that was not fun. Thank you?
Speaker 1: Wow, what the heck? Thanks a little hut. It was ruined everyone's day.
Speaker 2: Hey, actually I just got it right before I we went and recorded this, I got a message from from Jeff actually regarding last podcast episode. I got a lot of flak for the last episode, even though it was voted on by some patrons, because it was disturbing as fuck, and Jeff had this to say, also, your last episode I listened to, I had to take my EarPods out. Man, almost fucking puked. So I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: What was that one? The elevator the elevator one?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, so I'm pretty sure we're actually yeah, we're not just delivering bad information this time or last time.
Speaker 1: Some reason. That did affect me, but it didn't like I literally the next day wrote a fucking elevator like and I'm kind of like, wow, that's really crazy.
Speaker 2: But you also posted a story on Instagram with fear in your eyes.
Speaker 1: Well the fear was actually more so because there was someone that came in the elevator with me and I had to do that in front.
Speaker 2: Of someone gotcha.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh but yeah, no, I mean yeah, yeah, I mean yeah, that one was wild too. They're all wild. They're all just wild in the wrong way.
Speaker 2: And I'm going to find three more wild cases and I'm going to put it up on Patreon for our patrons to vote on right on for our next episode. So if you want to have that, say, head over to Patreon, keep an eye open. In the next couple of days, you'll have your chance to vote on what the next case is going to be.
Speaker 1: Boom. Yeah, that's fun.
Speaker 2: I don't forget to go ahead and give us a review on Spotify your Apple podcast. It really helps us out and boosts the algorithm to really show our podcast to other.
Speaker 1: People and our confidence.
Speaker 2: Exactly and the confidence check us out on Instagram, Facebook. We got a Twitter, Twitter, Yeah, and we got a blog in our website. We got to post another blog here pretty quick.
Speaker 1: Sweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So until next time, hey, stay wicked.