Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to GameSpot after Dark.
Speaker 2: Our next gen console reviewers Michael Him and Matt paget put an end to the console wars with.
Speaker 1: A good old fashioned debate.
Speaker 2: Stick around for the second half when GameSpot community members Jacob McCourt, Ian Preshilt, and Fogey Bear joined me to weigh in on who they think won this debate. If you want to check out some of their work, see the description down below. Hello and welcome to episode sixty seven of GameSpot After Dark. This is a special episode because both the new consoles are out now. Hopefully if you're listening, you're able to get one. If you're like me in order from Target, you probably don't have it yet because you don't have your PS five yet because Target's useless. But anyway, Joining me this week is Lucy James. Hello, Ours five reviewer Matt Paget Hey, and our Xbox reviewer Michaelsoft.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 1: What up?
Speaker 4: Hey, that's a That's why they got me on the case, man, I know I know all about that.
Speaker 2: Microsoft already bought you, uh and I'm just kidna kick it out.
Speaker 4: Don't look like it.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: This is a special episode because both of you have reviewed the new consoles and we are going to dig right into them.
Speaker 5: And you guys have the new consoles. And Jake and Lucy were there too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're here to actually how you see.
Speaker 2: And I have a very important job though, because Lucy and I are going to be moderating the first and last console debate of twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: I have gathered a list.
Speaker 2: Of topics hell yeah, that we are going to talk about. I'm going to time each of you, I don't know how long, and you're going to get a chance to talk about.
Speaker 3: Each of these.
Speaker 4: Y'all tell us about this.
Speaker 1: Nope, that's a surprise.
Speaker 6: Wait wait wait is there a mute button? Or can I talk over Michael the entire time?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Wait, wait wait, Jake, do you have mute abilities?
Speaker 2: I do, I might mind, I can only meet myself.
Speaker 1: Don't mute us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're not We're not fucking idiots who knock over our opponent and make an embarrassment out of our goddamn country.
Speaker 4: I mean, we'll let Jake and Lucy be the judge of that.
Speaker 2: But anyway, we have nine topics here that we're gonna go over. We're going to do each one and when we're done. I am going to meet with a handful of judges I've selected and they're going to listen back.
Speaker 5: I don't know who these judges are, by the.
Speaker 2: Way, and they'll determine who the winner is. I can tell you, Lucy, I just don't want to tell these two because they might try to pay them off or something.
Speaker 7: Wow, Wow, blessing.
Speaker 4: Matt and I are not the people to be paying off people because we are at the bottom of the barrel, you know the vibes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, man, we couldn't even pay for our consoles. We had facts, we had to review them to get them.
Speaker 1: So there. But anyway, you guys ready.
Speaker 4: Sure, let's let's fucking get it.
Speaker 2: Was the timing, so I feel like I'm going to give you each a minute to talk about the topic of your on your console, and then afterward you'll each get thirty seconds to do a bit of a rebuttal like, for instance, if you think the Xbox controller isn't as cool as the PS five controller or whatever, then you can talk about that. But when you're when it's your point, when it's your turn, try not to try not to belittle the the other console.
Speaker 1: If you can help it.
Speaker 4: No promises.
Speaker 1: The first one we have here is console design.
Speaker 5: You're gonna flip a coin to see who go.
Speaker 3: Coin?
Speaker 2: Uh, how about how about PlayStation Matt goes first because P comes before X in the.
Speaker 6: All right, okay, absolutely, all right, good, A lot of thought put into this, Jake, Oh okay, now I can go all right. Well, the PlayStation five's design is pretty crazy. It's it's like the most unplaystation looking PlayStation since the original PlayStation. I guess because after the original PlayStation, they all looked exactly the same. They were all black plastic with a PlayStation logo on them, and and honestly, like I, I hated the pet the p S five design when it was first revealed. I thought it looked stupid and that it looked dumb right up until it came to my house and I opened it up. I said, oh, this looks a lot better in person. It has like matte white plastic with a nice like it's it's like a black gloss sandwich with two pieces of matte white bread, and it looks great when standing up its side. It looks kind of stupid because it's kind of isn't as sturdy as you have. But but standing up ending vertically. It sounds really great.
Speaker 5: I like how that one was a story of redemption overcoming all odds.
Speaker 4: That that's pretty good.
Speaker 5: I really went through a journey with that one.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be a little tougher for you because you've got to constant you have to talk about here, which is something I didn't consider.
Speaker 5: No, Or is this a real boon for Michael because he gets to cherry pick the best listen?
Speaker 4: I got it.
Speaker 1: I got it well with that in mind, Michael Gough.
Speaker 4: All right, you said it best, Matt. That thing, you don't know what the hell that thing's supposed to look like. PS five is huge. I think it's hulking. That thing is huge, and it's like very unelegant, Like I don't want to be sticking that in like entertainment center or standing up vertically on my drawers or nothing. That that thing looks like I got a pop collar, and like pop collar is can look cool. It don't look cool on the PS five xboxeries X. It's just a it's like a sleek just a brick, and you put it wherever it needs to go and then you just forget about it. It's just a system. That's just right there. It's it's nice. You'll notice it at first because it's not it's a little bit different from other Xboxes, but once you start using it, you don't even need to worry about it being there. And the series S is cute. It's so cute. I have it right here on my desk. It's like a little little ass Xbox that packs a little punch and it's cute and it's very simple design. Like you don't you people walk into your house and be like, oh shit, that's an Xbox rather than PS five, Like the hell is that that? Like, I don't know that shit look wild?
Speaker 1: You're at a time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, I did like the sleek brick.
Speaker 2: I don't think those two words have ever been used in the same sleek brick.
Speaker 1: I think it worked. Oh shit, that's an Xbox, matt rebuttal, I think.
Speaker 6: I think the Xbox consoles look very nice.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 6: I I love the monolithic like shape of the Xbox Series X. I have a control wallpaper to the right of me, and it looks like those monoliths in the like main area that surround the pyramid, and it just like it looks. It looks sleek and and the little Xbox series as really wins me over with its side.
Speaker 1: And that's time. I guess you kind of.
Speaker 4: I don't they look good?
Speaker 1: What can I say, Michael? Do you want to say anything to that or do you think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, I'll say a little something. Well, uh, you know, that's what's up. I like. I like how xboxes look like. I'm not trying to trash PlayStation five because I'm getting one. It's gonna be in my entertainment center and all that. But man, that thing looked nasty. Bro. The funny thing is like you told the redemption story, Matt, but mine was the reverse because we were Lucy and I were on the live stream and we're like, yo, that's the PS five. That's wild crazy to that are the goal with something completely different. And then when I actually saw when Blessing got his I was like, that'shul look kind of whack.
Speaker 1: That's time all right, now, good timing.
Speaker 4: I'm getting better.
Speaker 5: No, sorry, Jake, what we're saying?
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 1: Who who had the better argument?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 5: Do I get? I get like to call per round and then you have like a panel of judges to pull pull at the end.
Speaker 2: Kind of ours are more unofficial, like just based on based on feel, and you can also like throw in your own personal taste too.
Speaker 1: Now that you have both too, write I do.
Speaker 5: My ex arrived yesterday, Thank you, mister FedEx man.
Speaker 4: And Phil.
Speaker 5: I'm big Phil. Well, no, I paid for it, but Phil did nothing, So I think I think both arguments are good, but I think Michael's was more concise and to the point, and bonus points from me from managing to cover both consoles so concisely. Also, Matt, you did sort of help out Michael, which.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you. Matt, I speak the truth. I'm not I'm a fighter for the truth. I'm on no sides. I'm speaking to the truth running up here in Canada exactly.
Speaker 5: But personally speaking, I absolutely prefer the X over the PlayStation five. I tried to get whacky with it with the PlayStation. I tried to be on board with it, but I am afraid that I just just like things to be not wacky in my home. Look, even this little air purified down here, that's too wacky for me.
Speaker 1: That's why it's on the ground.
Speaker 5: That's why it's on the ground. I was going to hide it, but I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't have a p S five, so I don't know.
Speaker 2: But I really do like the Xbox series X and S look quite a bit, just because they're very simple and in terms of like that whole that whole argument, I think I think Michael had that one.
Speaker 1: Love. We'll see what the judges think. We'll see what the judges think.
Speaker 4: What are these judges?
Speaker 1: Judge Man said, Michael had that one judge judgement.
Speaker 4: Not a judge, Matt, You're so sweet.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Next topic is hold on while I get the timers set up again?
Speaker 1: Is the controller? Michael? Do you want to start?
Speaker 4: Sure? I'll go first.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: The Xbox controller has its design has been on points since the three sixty days. All they really need to do is iterate on it, and that's what they did with this new one. So it's it's very similar to the Xbox one, which is fine, but they did make some important refinements. So the bumpers are a lot smoother to press down on. The triggers have a I feel like they have a much more consistent resistance when you try and pull out. I've been playing a lot of fours US, so it's really good for racing. Games when you're trying to throttle and break control. I do like the textures on the triggers and the bumpers too. It's just like a nice tactile feel, but it extends to the grips and I like that a lot. It feels really nice just to hold it. I'd be like rubbing my hands. I'm like, listen, I'm not trying to relax, but like I was like, oh, this feels really nice, Like I feel like I can grip it. And then all the share button's cool like a PlayStations had it for a while, but finally Xbox got it. That's cool to see. But other than that, like everything else that you know from the Xbox one controller, it's on point. You know, doesn't have any flashy new features like dual Sense, so I'll give it that, but the Xbox design is on point. Still.
Speaker 2: Damn that was right at one minute. Good timing. PS five controller go.
Speaker 6: The PS five controller does something very similar to the Xbox Series X and controller in that it refines the shape and overall ergonomics of the dual Shock four, which is a very solid controller. But one thing that it does a little extra on is the rumble and this time, they've employed haptic feedback and dual sense adaptive triggers, which sounded like a gimmick and I didn't believe it until I actually tried it, but they enhance your gaming experience in meaningful, tangible ways that above specs. I'm a big spec guy, I'm a big PC guy. I'm a big Xbox one X guy. I'm looking at games coming out in this next generation and going I want to see how this plays with a dual sense in my hand, and that is an incredibly meaningful thing that I hope developers make use of because it would be a damn shame if they didn't.
Speaker 2: And that's time. It was good timing as well. Yeah, yes, hearing the stuff about we can talk about this now because the embargo be lifted by then. But the the Xbox or sorry, the dual Sense with Call of Duty sounds really cool and I almost wish I pre ordered it on PS five.
Speaker 1: Instead of Yeah series X. But anyway, Michael, what do you have to say to that?
Speaker 4: Listen. You know I'm gonna return in the favor when Matt gave me a hand of me the w last last round. But I'll say, like the dual sense. Like watching that your review, Matt and reading your review, I was like, Yo, this this does legit sound like something cool, but again, it depends on how developers take use of it. But I'm really excited to jump into Astro's playroom and really get a feel for it, like when a game takes full advantage of it, because you know that stuff sounds legit. Man, and uh, I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Man, I know what. I know what you're saying, Michael. The Xbox one controller, more specifically the Elite Series two control is one of my favorites of all time. But like, the dual sense makes me want to play with that more than that two hundred dollars controller, at least for the time being, and that's that's shocking to me. I like the offset joysticks, so the fact that the dual sense has me wanting to use it more is a huge feat that I'm I'm even surprised by.
Speaker 1: Huge feet, Huge feet, baby, just like me. So I thirteen, Okay, relax, wick feet.
Speaker 2: Lucy, as our as our resident with both conces, how do you feel?
Speaker 5: Excellent points made by the two, But I think I will have to give this one to Matt because I agree with him. I also in a similar camp. I think the Xbox Controller was fantastic. I didn't particularly like the iteration that came with Xbox One, but then the Elite Series two is my favorite controller. However, what I'll say is that playing with the Duel Sense, it's wild to see how different the vibration is in the two, and how much more elegant it feels in the Jewel Sense. The Elite Series two as well. I've noticed I'm playing a lot of Assassin's Creed on it is very very loud when vibrals.
Speaker 4: It's like yeah, sure, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: So I just think in terms of, you know, it's just they're both just nice, nice bit of tech. But the new Xbox controller that comes with the Series X does have a dedicated share button now, which is very nice.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 6: So, one really cool thing about the Dual Sense, I will just slip in here is that you should have no no, this is something just for the people. When you get you get your Duel Sense, judge is disregard listen to the controller, like, don't like there it has a speaker, but actually put your ear up against the controller and listen to the They're not technically speakers, but I think I think they're like some kind of speaker motor that they put all throughout that controller, and it actually sounds like you're listening to like a wavelength go through the controller. It is extremely wild.
Speaker 2: WHOA interesting that actually, because the speaker on the PlayStation four controller, I turned that off right away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it drives me crazy. I turn that off right away.
Speaker 2: So I think my initial reaction when I saw the dual sense stuff was like, oh, I hope this isn't kind of gimmicky, But after hearing everyone talk about it, it sounds really cool. Like I said before, I'm excited to play shooters with it, in particular because it sounds like they're doing some neat things with that. All right, next one, Matt, you're going to start this time it is back words compatibility.
Speaker 1: Go all right, So.
Speaker 6: I have been I tested the backwards compatibility extensively, and it was definitely kind of a question mark leading right up to us testing it ourselves. And there is a large amount of games that are compatible with this game with this console, and they all work really well for the most part. There are some that don't see benefits from the performance, and then there are even some that get graphical glitches, like Resident Evil seven, which it has a big skybox at the end of the game that just looked like an oil painting canvas, which didn't look as cool as it sounds, but still work just fine. Performance boosts from games like a seven screen Unity that just cause games Dark Souls three, like, it's all really impressive and while it's not perfect, like it is awesome that I can play my old games on this thing when I'm done with the new ones.
Speaker 4: And you had a time Michael, Xbox go Yo, Xbox backwards compatibility is undefeated. Xbox really put a lot of resources into making sure this shit works and it shows like it's similar to PS five in which I explained this in like all of my previews and reviews that backwards compatible games will get boosts if the games will perform more consistently across the board, but if they have sixty fps or uncap frame rates, it'll hit those frame rates. If it plays dynamic resolution, then it'll stay at a higher resolution more consistently. So there's a lot of cases in which that is providing a lot a lot of benefits to those backwards and patal games, But just the sheer library. When I go on a game Pass and I'm at a buffet, I got like twenty plates and I'm filling them all with up games, you know. And EA access just got added to game Pass and I'm like playing Skate three off this shit, I'm playing Jedi Fall in order. There's so many games in the library that just work straight up, and yeah, it's undefeated, It's it's pretty wild and.
Speaker 1: Time, Matt, do you want to rebut that? Yeah, yeah, for sure. I mean I'll let you, I'll let you start Timer, all right. Hey, uh So.
Speaker 6: The great thing about the PS fives backwards compatibility is it's intensely awesome. PS four Exclusive library, Bloodborne, Ghost of Sushima, the last of US games, the uncharted games, these are playable on the PS five, and Goes of t Sushima and Days Gone have amazing, amazing higher resolution modes now that just make the games look and run really well.
Speaker 1: And hard to beat. Splinter Cell on the Xbox. Though you had me at Bloodborne, you could have just stoped at Bloodborne. I was like regular man, Michael, all right.
Speaker 4: What I will say is that backwards compatibility on the PS five is a lot more surprising and impactful as what I'll say, because those exclusives and because of the history of PlayStation not embracing that and now that they do, it's it's just it's kind of a mind blowing thing, right, But that doesn't happen if Microsoft and Xbox doesn't push for it in the way that they did. So shouts out to the ogs on backwards compatibility thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: The one thing I don't know if you've tested, but one thing that I figured you'd mentioned is the is it auto HDR even on games that.
Speaker 1: Didn't previously support it?
Speaker 2: Yes, Also, judges disregard this, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: This is this is you're looking at auto HDR.
Speaker 6: And not to mention like the the Hoichi method. Upscaling Xbox three sixty and Original Xbox Games two four K is like the coolest thing ever. I think the most my mind was blown last generation was playing Skate three on my four K TV and it looking crisp.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it's not running like native four K obviously, but the upscaling is does make it look a lot better than shoot just straight up stretching like a seven to twenty pm inch or something.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and of course the load times speak for themselves Xbox for sure, Lucy.
Speaker 2: What do you think for backwards compatibility Xbox? Sorry, I think I think Xbox for Mentuo. Damn, this next one is gonna be read for Xbox. This next one's gonna be rough for Xbox. But Michael, why don't you start okay or exclusives?
Speaker 4: Snap? See, Look, you know what I'm saying like Xbox and you know saying like games. Look, I got like Halo Infinite was supposed to be the big thing. Obviously that got pushed. So uh, you know, there's there's nothing really exclusive. I mean, the medium is going to come out later, but right now we don't know what that game is like or what it is going to be. So I got to conceive this one. But will will I will say is that xbox Is approach to delivering games. I feel like at least makes up for it because you can get so many games off of game Pass so easily. I know, PlayStations making strides in that regard, but just the wide variety of what's already available on Xbox kind of takes the edge off of not having exclusives. But if we're just going to talk about Xbox exclusives. Sorry you hate to see.
Speaker 1: It, Matt, go for it.
Speaker 6: Well, you know what, I'll give one to Michael. Jakuza is the only next Gen version on Xbox but facts, most of the world ain't webs, so there's plenty on PS five to enjoy, from Demon Souls, a remake that people have been clamoring for for a long time, to Spider Man Miles Morales, which is an excellent, excellent sequel to Spider Man, not to mention Spider Man Remastered, which comes with the Ultimate edition, sac Boy, which is a very pleasant, charming platformer, and Astro's Playroom, which it comes free with the console and is one of the most outstanding games of the year, not only for showing off the dual sense, but also just being pleasant and a fun walk down memory lane in a Mario like platformer. It's really really hard to deny that the PS five has better exclusives and uh and Bugs Next which which is uh which I've got some some things.
Speaker 2: And time bug ticks. Michael, do you wanna do you wanna follow that up?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, go.
Speaker 4: So I didn't mention Yakuza Like a Dragon because he's also on PS four and PC. But Yakuza Like a Dragon is actually the game of the year, and let me tell you why, because my boy, kosaka Ichi Bond makes the world a better place. This man is got the biggest heart he's got he's goofy as hell. That's my guy.
Speaker 1: Oh staff right there.
Speaker 4: Oh you can't see because we're not doing video. But Matt, he look even Matt's got a copy of Yakuza Like a Dragon for Xbox series ICEPT the day each Steel Book edition. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And time, I like how you took that opportunity to just talk about Uh, Matt, do you have anything you want to add?
Speaker 1: H jakizas Forbes now.
Speaker 6: Now, like I I, Xbox was my platform of choice if it wasn't on PC. So I'm very excited for Microsoft's stable to start producing games like held A two looks amazing, Like what is Bethesda gonna do? What is Obsidian gonna do? How are Obsidian and Bethesda gonna work together now that we're like, hey, Obsidian can make Xbox RPGs. Oh wait, now they own Bethesda? What the hell is that kind of look like when Avowed and Elder Scrolls come out within a year of each other. It's gonna be wild. Guys, Lucy, how do you feel?
Speaker 5: I think right now PlayStation absolutely has the best exclusives, but I also feel that Microsoft have made some very intelligent business decisions. I'm very excited to see not only what the future holds with Bethesda and actually whether Bethesda games will be exclusive to x platforms, but I think there's also other things with you know, in widening the stable of first party developers. They've got new studios like the Initiative. I am that like Complete Guests. I don't know this, but if they are working on a reboot of Perfect Dark, which is the rumor, and they have like all these amazing talent from places like Naughty Dog and all like I don't know, you can can you hear Greg in the background. He's yelling at someone. He's saying fucky, and I'm like, no, My point is balid. I think that the future is bright, and I think right now both sides have made some very clever deals. Like I mean, Assassin's Creed is not exclusive to Xbox, but with the amount of marketing around it, you would think that it was. And so that game is a system seller.
Speaker 6: So I'm really looking forward to like Crossfire X and the medium and stuff like that too, Crossfire especially because Remedy is doing the campaign, but also that multiplayer looks cool too.
Speaker 2: Crossfire X in particular, I described as it looks like Remedies just doing a Call of Duty game, which sounds so cool. Like that pitch right there, I'm man, yeah, absolutely, man. Well to kind of transition from the current exclusives to the future. Whose future do you think looks brighter?
Speaker 1: Matt? Do you want to start?
Speaker 6: I think I think PlayStation's future looks looks bright. It'll be interesting to see how much of their catalog is is new stuff because PS four was very much a hey, we're gonna let our developers take some wild twists and turns with our franchises, and in most cases it paid off really well. I mean, God of War was a huge reinvention for that franchise, and it was great seeing that God of War two is gonna be or God Wore Ragnarok, I guess is going to be another like mid Guard game or whatever the heck you call that stuff. Norse is a little disappointing. Frozen is a sequel to Horizon Spider Man. I don't know what you do with Spider Man from here, but regardless, those games will all almost undoubtedly be solid. So even if we don't get as many new stuff this year or this generation, Ratchet and Klank, that's another great game that's coming out. We haven't seen one of those in a long time, so and time maybe it'll be more familiar than I'm still we still have a good time over here on PlayStation.
Speaker 5: We should have went with the mute buttons a lot, a lot of like for sure games.
Speaker 4: Alright, my guy, Oh, I.
Speaker 6: See what's happening your favorite Oh I see the judge that it's a conspiracy against me.
Speaker 1: I get it because I'm Canadian, Michael. How's the future for Xbox looking?
Speaker 5: Go?
Speaker 4: All right? I am excited for PS five's future, that's for sure. But the exciting thing about Xbox is that there's so much. It's sort of an unknown quantity, but in an exciting fashion, like because of all the studio acquisitions they and the fact that they haven't really reached their full potential yet, and you know, the chances are that they will like to at least two or three years down the line. I want to see, like y'all touched on before, like what all these acquisitions amount to. So I think that PS five is it's hard. I don't want to say it's predictable, but it is in a way like we kind of know what those games are going to be, what those studios are working on, and what the evolution of those franchisese franchises is going to be. But I think Xbox is going to can do some wild stuff with their studios, and I think that's what excites me more.
Speaker 2: All right, six seconds left? Good, you follow the timer? We need more of that, Matt thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: What do you got? You know?
Speaker 6: I said that it's going to be a familiar generation based on what we know so far. For PlayStation there are definitely some smaller developers making some really interesting things. But like we said, those like I can't imagine a world where the next got of work comes out and it's not as good as the original or at least like still a lot of fun. Like I know, we don't like to say these games are going to be good before we play them, but it's really hard to any of their studios will screw things up, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Michael thirty seconds A Damn, I don't know what to say, but PS four did kind of like towards the end of its life cycle in eighteen nineteen, and then this year they kind of fired on all cylinders to make the PS four go out in style. So in a way, it's kind of like, I don't know, like it'll be a while until we see things like God of War or whatever the other studios are working on. So I just hope Xbox has a lot of stuff soon, but I don't want to rush it and time. Let's hope infinites good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, Michael makes a good point. PS four started off super slow until like twenty fifteen with Bloodborne, and then it started to pick up steam. Like every year it released really good games. So if you know what, if the Xbox Series X has the same thing, that's not a bad place to be, right, Yeah, what do you think, Lucy, It's.
Speaker 5: A tricky one. I honestly think the future is bright for both of them. Like I think I kind of said this in the last one when we're talking about exclusives, but like both have made very small acquisitions, and if they haven't made acquisitions, they've made very smart exclusivity deals. I mean Death Loop and Ghost why Tokyo on the PlayStation side, and then are in general on the Xbox side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so weird to bring it back to the Festa the does that kind of feel like, I don't want to say cheating, because it's not cheating.
Speaker 1: They spent a lot of money too it, But does it feel kind.
Speaker 2: Of dirty that they just straight up yeah, those are all of our exclusives.
Speaker 4: Now all you got time exclusive on PlayStation? How about I just kick you seventy five billion dollars?
Speaker 6: Oh man I I it definitely uh felt crazy, like almost as crazy as like Xbox buying Ubisoft or something like that. It's like one step down from those like tippy top tier developed publishers, tippitty top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's wild.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be interesting to see what Microsoft does with Befesta, just because like they can totally make it an exclusive studio. Phil Spencer said, Hey, we can do whatever we want with these guys. We don't have to put them on PlayStation. What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Don't sleep on Double Fine either, Yeah under Microsoft Double Fine Yeah?
Speaker 1: Man in theory, yeah, god, so crazy.
Speaker 2: All right, So these next two topics are a little bit tricky because one console has it and the other doesn't. So I figure instead, Michael, why don't you start and why don't can you tell us a little bit about quick resume?
Speaker 4: God, okay, quick zoom is dope because I am indecisive as fuck. So I'll have twenty games on my Xbox and I want to play probably five of them, and then I'll jump between three of them and I could just keep doing that. Man. I like, I'll play some races in Forza. I'm like, oh damn, but I want to like get a few rounds of Apex in, so I'll just swap over to Apex and it's like, all right, now I'm ready for my four hours sit down session with Yakuza like a dragon. So being able to swap between those games in the matter of seconds, I think that if you're someone who likes who gets there feel fast of a certain thing, but wants to move on to something else, it's even faster than doing it on a PC. Like people be like, oh, you can just old tab. It's like, dog, you are not going to keep three games running in the background and your goddamn desktop. Stop telling me that you can all tabuh. Yeah, have fun with that shit. But Yo, the Xbox ohsh is so fire, Oh my god. Like I'm just playing Forza right now. I'm about to hop in some Gears, bro, I'm gonna do that like five seconds. Well, I will say, all right, time to be fair. To be fair, though quicker Zoom does have some bugs. It needs to work out right now.
Speaker 1: So Matt, I'm going to give you a minute.
Speaker 2: Do you think not having something like quicker Zoom on the PlayStation five is detrimental or do you think that is a game changer in any way?
Speaker 6: Go for backwards compatibility. I definitely think it's huge for Xbox. But I was playing around on the PS five last night and I was like, man, I don't want to watch the intro logos. I don't want to start through the main menu. It's super quick, but I want to get in there quicker. I went to activities in Spider Man and just hit Rezuome on a mission I was on, and it loaded me immediately into the mission in like five seconds. It was blazing fast. It's definitely a bummer because they have this thing called the switcher on the PS five, and that sounds like something that you could use and it would resume into a game quickly, but nothing like that. And uh, while it's not a huge detriment to the console, it would have been a nice feature to have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's nice to have. It's not like essential, I would say, but.
Speaker 6: Yeah, first party games load insanely fast, and in fact, like sack Boy has the very like very short I'll let you finish your thought, Sackboy has like loading screens that last like maybe a second, And it's disappointing to see those loading screens at all, just because of how fast the games are that I wish they just hit it entirely black, yeah, or like it just showed sack Boy like FLOSSI the sack, Yeah, yeah, exactly, playing with his sack and then he jumped back into another level.
Speaker 1: It's uh, it's so fast, it's wild all right.
Speaker 2: Well, on the topic of things that one console doesn't have and the other does, the PlayStation five has three D audio. Matt tell us about three D audio and go.
Speaker 6: So back in January, right before the pandemic ravaged our lands.
Speaker 1: It was quite the history lesson here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Michael and I were in Vegas and we demoed uh Creative Creative Labs, super x Fi Technology which is like three D audio to the max, which basically it sounds like you're listening to speakers around a room without like degrading the audio quality, and those are my favorite headphones to use. They've released gaming headsets since then. Three D audio on the PlayStation the tempest audio tech is not as impactful as that. It definitely makes a difference, but you would only be able to tell that difference if you switched between disabled and enabled really quickly. And while it has the potential to be huge in like multiplayer shooters and stuff like that, it just seems like a nice bonus. It doesn't seem super essential. But there's nothing and time, there's no not to use it. So it's it's there. It's nice.
Speaker 1: It's not amazing, but it's it's it's it's decent, you know, I feel.
Speaker 2: You, Michael, Do you think the Xbox not having three D audio is a detriment or will hurt it at some point?
Speaker 1: Go?
Speaker 4: I'm on. I'm on board with Matt saying that it's it's a nice to have, but it's not essential. There are a lot of There are a lot of audio options on on Xbox to improve audio quality, such as at most and things like that. I mean, I'm I'm the type of dude who loves like, really really good audio, But I think the use case for three D audio is a little bit trickier, and I don't think it's it's not going to I don't wanna. I don't want to get ahead of myself and saying it's not going to change the way we play games. But I'm willing to bet money that it won't be essential for the way we play games. Uh, So you know it's I don't think it's that big of a deal. I mean, I just I have a nice audio technica and Sendheiser headset, uh stereo headset. That's that's good enough for me. And that's that on that.
Speaker 1: All right, that's time, Lucy.
Speaker 2: Having played both the Xbox Series X and PlayStation five, now, any thoughts on the three D audio in particular first, and then maybe we can touch on quicker zoom.
Speaker 5: So I agree with both of you in that both of these features are really really nice, but they're not essential. I do enjoy three D audio. I think, you know, when developers utilize it, it's really cool. I think, you know, Miles Morales was a great use case for it. I think I almost said astro Boy. Astrobot was also.
Speaker 4: A great use too, well, I love you.
Speaker 5: Did you see tams video of that. It's very yes, and I think I think it's great, but you know, it just it just depends on how much it's used. It's nice to have in terms of quick resume. I am a terrible person who plays of games. I have like five games going at the same time, and so being able to swap between them. It's definitely having quick resume on Xbox then not having it on PlayStation. You definitely do feel it, especially when you have to like look at all the menus and title screens again just to get back to where you were. So both of them are like nice. I like three D audio, I like quick resume, But was it the was each one the feature that pushed me to get the console?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Next up, we have storage in transfer speeds, Michael, do you want to start with this one?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: Storage? Oh, this is tricky because Xbox Series X got the most eight hundred and two gigabytes are free on the internal storage, and though I'm not sure how works on PS five, I'm sure it's pretty simple. But it's very simple on Xbox. Like if you have a one X or an Xbox one and you just like plug in your SSD or your hard drive so that trans put the games on that, then plug it into your Xbox Series consoles and the transform over, or you just play them straight up off if they don't have Series S optimizations, that's the key right there. But that's dope. Just like and like transfer cis are fast. I'm sure they are on PUS five also, but just the way the ecosystem works is very simple, straightforward, almost fool proof. The C gate card is cool. It's a fairly priced for an Envy M E S s D. It's still pretty expensive in the console space. But I will say is that the Series S three hundred and sixty four gigabytes will fill up fast. But again, I don't think the Series S is for real. Ass Oh, I don't want to say that. I don't think the Series S is for real.
Speaker 1: Ass. I'll then on time, so it's for real ass. Yes, PlayStation five, go.
Speaker 6: The PlayStation five. The internal storage there is an extreme premium on it because you cannot store games on external drives no matter the speed of that external drive. That's really huge considering like games are big these days, and games like Call of Duty are looking to be immensely massive, and it's going to cause people a bit of a headache with the PS five when it comes to expansion. You can't do that at launch. They're coming uh in later with an update. Sony has to test specific and v M e SSDs uh to ensure they're compatible because they're doing a lot more than just using them for loading or loading screens, to be more specific, and and honestly, yeah, like those are going to be expensive, like n v M e SSDs Jen for a SSDs, you got freaking expensive, man, And to get to get a terrorbyte, it's going to be a similar price to the Seagate hard for Xbox. And uh yeah, it's it's it's going to be expensive no matter where you go.
Speaker 1: Michael thirty second.
Speaker 4: Rebuttal okay, I think I won, but one thing? What was fuck? I had an idea and then I forgot hopefully I remember in the wait you're calling a victory before the votes are in. Yeah, like, oh, hey, don't put that shit on me. What I'm saying. I feel the w in my bones. Yeah, that's a storage is easy on Xbox just swap them, move them between and it's all good.
Speaker 1: Matt, how about you?
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, I mean, I mean the Series X has a fair amount of storage and I like that, but that Series S. I'm gonna corner that thing and beat it up in an alley. You got twenty second, So three sixty four is crazy, man, And it's such a disappointment they weren't able to at least get that to five hundred and then like with some extra space for the OS and whatnot not counted in that because like time, damn, that's a lot of that's not a lot of space.
Speaker 4: All I was gonna say, velocity architecture, the way that the storage and the io speeds work is on point.
Speaker 1: Engineers don't there. He's gone over his time. It might have been speaking as well, have been speaking French for all care.
Speaker 2: Lucy, Do you have any thoughts on storage transfer speeds on both these cons? I don't know if you've had much time to test the because you've got it yesterday, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I haven't tired Xbox much, but I have been helping capture gameplay for a lot of comparisons, and so I have been you know, had ghost of Sishima on my PS four and instead of redownloading it, I moved and like war Zone, I needed to do something on and so put that on an external hard drive and then putting it on my PS five took a long time. It takes a long time to transfer games from hard drives. Like Matt said, you can't put PS five games onto a hard drive. You can't even store them on there, which is annoying. So like right now I have my external hard drive is just my PS four game machine, which is fine and like they will run off, They're perfectly fine, but I do worry, like I've already I already filled the PS five, I've already had to make a call. So that six hundred odds gigabytes is a premium and I am excited for them to figure all that stuff out.
Speaker 4: Generally, what's the transfer speeds like when you're doing those things, Because I tested, like to the second, what transfer speeds are like for certain size files on Xbox between different types of external drives. I'm just curious.
Speaker 5: I didn't test, like I didn't time, but I definitely remember war Zone being like fifteen or some minutes.
Speaker 4: It was okay, we're using an external SSD or an external HDD.
Speaker 5: I believe it's HDD. It's the Cgate one. It's the c Gate one that they did for the Xbox One.
Speaker 4: The game drive. Yeah, that's that's a hard time. Okay, okay, that's that's that sounds right then?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, and and similar to your speeds with the SSD, maybe a little slower, but yeah, it's it's a it's a mess. The storage situation, it is really disappointing. Just being able to store PS five games on an external drive would have made this so much better.
Speaker 1: I mean even I.
Speaker 2: Feel like this is just an issue with both consoles, and it's just the trade off, as you guys said, of having envment and they can't even say it. The fancy SSDs, as cool as they are, it is kind of frustrating that. I'm pretty sure last Gen all the consoles launched with five hundred gigs, and even the Series S still launches with quote five hundred gigs like years later, which is which is a bummer because I remember even that like five hundred gigs. I remember being too small back then because you could fill that up, you know, if you bought a good handful of Launch games that would have been filled up as well back then, So I was I was really holding out that there'd be some two terabyte consoles we'd be able to get, but Nope, not yet. Maybe that'll be the next revision we get in a.
Speaker 4: Couple of years. I don't know, man, these consoles are still like five hundred bucks for the PS five, and the X and Yeah and v ME SSDs are still wild expensive. So the fact that they can't even ship a five hundred dollars console with that technology in it is kind of still astounding a bit totally. But in the world of consoles, where things are supposed to be like front price, consumer friendly pricing, it does kind of throw you for a loop.
Speaker 2: Especially when what Cold War is supposed to be like two hundred and I installed it today my preorder today, and it just took it took almost all day. I almost had to stop it before this podcast because I didn't want to take my internet. Like yeah, anyway, the last topic we have here, Matt, I'll have you start is about you I go.
Speaker 6: So Playeration five's UI is similar to the PS four in that it still uses the straight line of tiles for its homepage, but the control center is where things get a little more interesting. That's where activities come in, which are basically little game cards that let you load into a specific level, mission, quest challenge immediately. So I was able to skip world travel in Spider Man Miles Morales and complete all of his combat challenges without swinging once, which is awesome because I was just like, get this over with. It's a combat challenge, who cares. It's definitely different enough that the muscle memory you build up from the PS four is going to cause some problems, but once you get used to it, it's it's super intuitive, pretty quick. There are some PS four PS five version stuff that it's a little confusing and then it's time, but once you get used to it, it's manageable for sure.
Speaker 4: Michael, So, so the Xbox Series UI is the Xbox One UI. Nothing's changed really, but it's snappier, it's it's easier to move between stuff. But I mean like they've made some strides with that UI. So while well, the PS five is like definitely trying some new new ship. Uh, the I feel like the Xbox is, we like their mentality is to give you the best version of what they already have. And then build from there. It kind of shows in the UI like Xbox users they probably like figured this out already, like how to use it, so when they jump into here, there's there's nothing to relearn. It's the same it's the same thing. It's just a lot cleaner when you're navigating it. So maybe it's not exciting, but it's efficient, is what I'll say. And that's fine with me, all right.
Speaker 2: Matt got a rebuttal go, Yeah, I love the Xbox One s U. I.
Speaker 6: I think the latest design of it is is is fantastic, the best console UI out there. There you go, you heard it, Yeah, totally. The thing that's disappointing about it, though, is that and like understandable that they kept it because they are sharing an ecosystem, is that you don't get that new UI feel when you boot up your console. And uh, that's that's a slight disappointment that that you don't get with the PS five time.
Speaker 4: Michael, Yeah, yeah, I feel you on that, Like the first time you boot up a console, like, oh, ship, what's this actually look like? With the PS five is like we've seen it already. But when I when I get my PS five and I boot it up. I'm like, ah, ship, Uh, here's here's some new ship, new ship, new ship. But uh, I don't know Xbox is lit. I don't know. I came around on it. I think it's cool, all right. Oh, it doesn't have the dynamic backgrounds or whack on Xbox. Dynamic backgrounds are lit on PS five P four. So you got to give it to Matt for.
Speaker 1: This one, Lucy, how do you feel?
Speaker 5: I have never really enjoyed the UI on Xbox. I like down three sixty, I've never really blades. I loved the Blades, but the the one and now a series UI is like I find myself. I'm I still have to second guess where everything is. Like I feel like I know exactly where stuff is, but I still kind of go, oh it's it just never clicked with me as a UI. Whereas PlayStation I think what they've done this time around is like they've they've got their cross media bar with award winning cross media bar. I think they actually won an award for the in the p S three Days.
Speaker 7: I feel like they award for it.
Speaker 4: They stole it from the PSP. All right, This UI shit goes all the way back to the PSP.
Speaker 5: We never had a PSB, but no, I like the way I like the way the cross media bar thinks like, but it's weird. The one thing I will say is that like I am enjoying the Xbox One way more now, Like I feel like I'm getting there with it becoming second nature, like the PlayStations one is. And it is great that I am seeing where they're just nicking stuff off each other. So like, for example, Xbox used to have the snap feature and you can put Skype in there or whatever, and PlayStations now nicked that and put that in so you can have party chat or you can have someone else's gameplay in there. There's other stuff too. Oh what was I looking at yesterday? I don't remember. It will come back to.
Speaker 6: Me, but I the tiles in the in the library are pretty Xboxy, yeah, which is nice. Just the nice square like logo art is nice to see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know some games got the PlayStation hits uh design on a digital tile art that this.
Speaker 5: Game like now a major motion picture vibe of Like, y'all.
Speaker 4: Don't need to tell me that God of War is a PlayStation hit. We all know that.
Speaker 6: Like the Yeah, I would never, ever, ever ever buy one of those red plastic PS three or PS four games.
Speaker 2: Does the PS five UI have any ads? Because that's one thing that's always bugged me about the Xbox recently is that home screen always has like check out this show on Netflix and check out this thing. And that's something that's bugged me for a while because like, I don't really want to see ads on my home screen. Like if I go to the store, which it's very easy to get, two chances are you're gonna spend a lot of time in the story and game pass. Fine, but like when I boot up my console, I don't like to look at ads for I don't know whatever they're giving me ads for.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're they're so they have this this one game card that shows up. I don't know when or how or when it's relevant, Like I don't I don't know exactly when it shows up. But every now and then it'll be like here, here are things you missed or here are things you should know about, and it's like I saw, like I'm like, oh shit, ghost Rider, that's sick. I loaded up. Oh it's Fortnite. I'm like, oh, thanks thanks a lot. PlayStation getting my hopes up. So it's it's definitely there are definitely ads, but it's it's too early in this specific UI's lifetime to see if that will be used in more addy marketing.
Speaker 1: Ways.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I mean news the four does it is that it would put in like PlayStation now ads, which is to be expected because it is their service, and I guess otherwise you wouldn't really uncover PlayStation No, I don't know. Sorry, I just got sad thinking about ads.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how unavoidable they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, the last topic is not really a topic, but I just wanted to give you both some time for some closing remarks.
Speaker 1: Oh ship, Michael, do you want to start?
Speaker 4: Do you got a right?
Speaker 1: Closing remarks? On PS five Xbox Yakuza.
Speaker 4: Listen, all right, Yakuza Like a Dragon Is Done is my my game of the year. It's on Xbox One, It's on Xbox Series X, on PS four, it's on PC ha ha PS five ain't getting it till next year. Uh so I was gonna say something really bad, but anyway, Uh yeah, yas shoul y'all should play that game. It's it's man, what a special thing. Cosco bon Wow. I love that man. Probably one of my favorite characters of all time. I'm I'm say that with my chest. Yeah, so yahl people, But it's not just him.
Speaker 1: He's got anything.
Speaker 4: You don't want to. You don't want to get into that debate. I would love to, but that's a whole nother one. That's a whole nother th Next SOD Xbox anime. I'll you know what I've been playing. I've been playing Dragon Quest eleven. I've been playing Yakuza, I've been playing Near I've be playing other Yakuza games. I just started the sort Ar online shooter. It's not great, but I'm playing it anyway because anime girls, you know what I'm saying, and a whole bunch of other shit.
Speaker 2: Matt, what about anything you want to add? On PlayStation five?
Speaker 6: Yeah, the I think the coolest thing about these new consoles, specifically the PS five, because that's what I've played most of, is that it feels like there aren't any compromises anymore in terms of graphics modes, Like you're definitely compromising performance for visuals, but even if you do performance mode, the picture looks incredibly clean. And that just wasn't the case on PS four pro it was either hey, you're gonna get a game that performs pretty well that looks greeny, or a game that looks good and performs alright. Like it was never it was never really a satisfying choice there, And with the PS five so far, a lot of the games I've tested have been satisfying on both modes for different reasons, and that's awesome, And honestly, I think that this generation, like both consoles offer amazing things that I think people will absolutely get a kick out of depending on what type of games they like to play. And more than ever, I feel both consoles are are super great choices. It's it's really good and there's never been a better time to be a gamer. So I think it's.
Speaker 2: It's shout out to all the gamers listening, shout out to all the gamers be careful. I mean, I will say, like I was playing, I was playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla on Series X, and it was really nice that there just wasn't an option between performance or resolution.
Speaker 4: It's just four K sixty which it.
Speaker 2: Runs great, runs super smooth, it looks super clean and crisp, and that's something that I hope we see more of I don't know we will, especially when it comes to ray tracing, because ray tracing kind of seems like the thing that's like do you want rag tracing on or do you want just pretty?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think the M five is a good case of how that compromise has to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that kind of worries me because it's the last gen game, right, and like you can't I mean, you can still do rate tracing sixty frames four k, I think, but if you want to do one hundred and twenty frames, then you have to turn off rate tracing.
Speaker 1: I think that works, yes.
Speaker 4: And there's like this, it's weird things with like the with resolution and really because you can have rate tracing, full rate tracing ten ADP, then you have some retracing or a slightly lesser version of it and then run a higher resolution or if you want to do four K sixty then you have to turn all that shit off. So in some ways, like I love that. I Yo, I'm playing Assass's Creed on a console at sixty FPS and this shit looks clean as fuck, Like that's wild, Like I like that, But once you start getting into rate tracing, I think things are gonna get really tricked.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: But regardless, like that's that's a that's a cherry on top. Like I think games are still gonna have options like they do with the one X and uh in some cases for the PS four Pro. But at the end of day, I think, like, you know, unless you're like really really picky about visuals like some PC gamers are. I used to be that way. I try not to be anymore because I just I just want to play. I remind myself like I'm here to play a game. I'm not here to like nitpick where resolution is going down at a certain point because I don't want to play a Xbox one Bass games because nine hundred pee like nasty. But there's there's a certain point in which, Okay, this looks good and I'm going to enjoy this game. So I think the new consoles like you don't gotta like the Xbox Base Xbox One struggle, bro like struggle to like perform and struggle to make games look good, especially later on in the console generation. Like I was watching Jordan play x Apex on Xbox One and like the stuttering. I was like, bro, you gotta you gotta upgrade A dog like can't you can't be living like this, but yeah, like like echoing what Matt said is like both these consoles are strong right out gate Like for Microsoft, they cut out all the fat. Remember that Xbox one launch We'll forget about because like they're not They're not fucking with that shit no more. Yeah, Like obviously like PS five is still focused on those important things. So hey, like you asked me who won the console war? The gamers won the console war.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I was unplugging my one X today because I don't don't think I need it anymore, And I am so thankful that there is now only one HDMI port in the back of these new consoles because they figure out the Xbox Ones, they were like, let's have two so people can plug in their TVV, their things, they can get the Xbox.
Speaker 6: Over or if they want to be an asshole and plug in their PS four for some reason, I mean speaking to the last generation and all that stuff. Man, Like I remember those of the consoles coming out and being like is this hit? Like wait, I thought we were ten AVP sixty what happened to that? And like within a year it was just like these consoles are underpowered. Yeah, and I think it's gonna We're gonna have to wait and see how things pan out. But like I'm I feel really positive about these new consoles, and they came at a good time, like they came when HTMI two point one is starting to come into mainstream TVs. And I think they are in a better spot than the PS four and Xbox one where because they came in at a time when four K TVs were exactly a year or two out. So like I think, I think these consoles are are are damn good, Yeah, damn damn good.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The one thing I will mention is that four K, like the base PS four and Xbox one weren't made with four K in mind, which is why we got the PS four Pro and Xbox one X as like a patchwork in the meantime, because it wasn't until like twenty fifteen or twenty sixteen when four K was like affordable, uh, And then now it's kind of the standard, so and it's going to be the standard for a very long time. Like if y'all think about AK, stop thinking about AK, because AK income here in the next ten something years. So now that four K is kind of like basically the standard. Like you can't go into a Best Buy and buy a ten ADP TV. That's not happening. They're not there anymore. It's all four K. So now that we know that that is, that is a standard, like now these consoles like are built with that in mind. And yeah, I don't I at least you know, don't quote me on this, but I don't anticipate there being like a quote unquote power problem to like make sure that these games run fine and look the way that developers want them to look. So again, gamers win, gamers win well.
Speaker 2: Before before I get the judges in here to talk about.
Speaker 5: This, judge, are they coming in now?
Speaker 1: No, I've got to I've got to send them the audios.
Speaker 2: Okay, So before I get the judges in here, Michael, do you want to tell people where they can find you and what you're working on?
Speaker 4: Sure? Yeah, I am. You can find me and all of my bullshit on Twitter at Michael P. Higham. And yeah, I obviously did a lot a lot of stuff on the Xbox series X and S. Also check out my Yakuza Like a Dragon review. Yeah, putting a lot of work those and just you know, taking care of little things here and there for Cover helping cover next Gen because I did big ass reviews. But obviously, like a lot of things come up, so keep you updated on how like quicker zoom is working, what kind of enhancement, what enhancements look like, things like that here and there helping out the team because Dan the team is putting out some firework out there. Y'all should check out everything everyone's doing, Matt, especially in Jean, Luke and Jake y'all cut some wild videos like also the news teams on top of so just man, this next gend shit is. It's really nice to see like the whole site and everyone working on the site coming together to cover every facet of this ship. But also like a real, real shameless self plug right here. Check out Filipino American History Month podcasts on giant bomb dot com. Between me and Jan that ship is fire. If you all want to listen to some some wild cultural shit, some family trauma and like speaking a different language, check that shit out, Matt.
Speaker 1: How about you? You can find me at Matt Paget on Twitter m A T P A g E T I.
Speaker 6: I tweet a lot of bullshit like Michael, I like, I like the dark side of TikTok and.
Speaker 5: Tony and I consume a lot of TikTok and even I'm not sure what that means.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So basically I just search for like jugglos and vampires, and I try to look for people who don't really understand how to use their phone so they think TikTok is harassing them when it's just like, hey, check out, there's a video, and then they just get mad at TikTok on camera.
Speaker 2: Matt's algorithm has to be the weirdest thing, like I bet they have. They have to have just one guy who works on it because it's just like, yeah, no computer can figure this out.
Speaker 6: Shout out to Big Juice. I Yeah, I'm Big Juice. Baby, he's back. Yeah this is back baby. I no, no, no, so sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry, this is my anime, all right.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 6: So I'm doing a lot of like like Calmer stuff. So Black Friday is coming up. I'll be covering a bunch of that. But if you want to check the site, I helped out with a bunch of PS five content. The team absolutely killed it with the PS five Xbox content was super awesome to read. I I ate that stuff up. So Michael did a great job to absolute mad Man on the keyboard. And yeah, it's been a lot of fun covering these consoles and I'm stoked for this next generation and continuing to cover them with this team because they made it easy to write my review and they freaking knocked out their own content that was awesome. So check it all out. Man, game Spot going hard in twenty twenty video games. They're here man, Hell yeah, dude, all right, Lucy, how are you?
Speaker 5: I'm on Twitter at Lucy James Games. I tweet bad joke as well.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, wow, And I also agree. No. I. In terms of what I've been working on, I've been helping support mostly on the PlayStation side because I actually had one. A lot of the footage in comparisons will be mine. So if you want to judge my Spider Man abilities off you go, don't. I literally messaged Evan and I was like, I died.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: I literally messaged Evan, who is editing the comparison. I said, look, the Fisk Boss fight I died cut around made me look good.
Speaker 2: I did the d m C gameplay for the comparison, and I was like, I'm not the person to be doing.
Speaker 5: This, by judge no, and like so I've just been helping support I can producing and just helping people get where they need to be.
Speaker 4: I have a question, what's what's what's happening with Gen Next now that that the next generation is now the current generation?
Speaker 5: Jen now, I don't wow, I like it, I don't know. I mean Gen Next is also the show that I've been working on with Tam and Jordan and obviously Evan. We can do without him talking about next generation of consoles. This week's episode, we have snippets from Term's Big Phil interview where Big Phil actually says that he chooses the nickname for himself so we can continue to call him Big Phil.
Speaker 2: Andy said he's been playing elden Ring or he's played a Yeah, which I was recording that interview with Timour and when Timore asked it, I like rolled in my eyes because like he can't say anything. And then he said that he saw the expression on Tan's space as he started.
Speaker 5: If you if you go to Joe Screbble's Twitter, Joe Screbbles did a little cut of that moment tribute moment. So yeah, gen Next is the big fill interview in TAM's early impressions with Demon Souls and then going forward, I mean the consoles. It's start of a new generation. So Gen next is going to stick around. We've had Honestly, like it's been. I was very wary when we started doing it, when we were talking about doing a show about new consoles. I was very afraid of wading into console war stuff. But honestly, like such a nice little community. He likes our stupid jokes and love it when Will comes on and they ask him all these questions and like love the jokes and it's just it's just really nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look a lot of the comments and it's like continuous like things about like Tam, you and Jordan. So it's like, oh shit, like y'all, like people are coming back to it. So that has been really dope to see stick.
Speaker 2: Around because after this we're going to figure out who the master debater is.
Speaker 4: Whoa whoa.
Speaker 2: I'll me.
Speaker 1: And we are back.
Speaker 2: With episode sixty seven of Games Spot After Dark. I am joined by our wonderful cast of judges. Joining me right now is Ian Preshel.
Speaker 3: Hello, Jacob McCourt.
Speaker 1: Hi, and Folgy Bear what a do baby?
Speaker 2: So I've selected you three to help me determine who the winner is of this console debate. We want to put the console wars to an end. We just want to stop them right here. And that's what this is. For a couple of things. I chose you through because I know you three have audio setups and we can do a podcast and it would all be steamingless and bar because I'm a big fan of all your work. But that's like considerably less important than the first one for.
Speaker 3: Something at all.
Speaker 2: We can't be skipping on the We can't be skimping on the audio quality. You know people are going to catch that, even though I recorded with Zoom for like the first three months of this pandemic and it sounds bad.
Speaker 1: That's crazy that you just said that. Like if I had a snowball mic, I'd never got on the show. It's pretty nuts. Yeah, that's how it is, though, lifetng gamer Price.
Speaker 2: Anyway, you guys have listened to this week's episode. You got an early cut of it, and they talked about I think I said nine in the podcast, nine different topics.
Speaker 1: I didn't count. I didn't double check.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's actually nine, but we've got a bunch of topics here. I figure we can just hit each one pretty quickly. You guys can kind of decide who you think did better, and then at the end we can decide. Now, the reason there's three of you is because there has to be a winner, and if there were four, you know, you know how that works, it could be too too.
Speaker 1: We can't have that.
Speaker 7: We gotta go hold with a deciding factor here. Now, what if we said it was a tie at the end. That totally screws your logic, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, say that no one wins, because I have a couple of notes here that say that both of them lost and that Lucy won.
Speaker 2: Okay, if Lucy wins, that's fine.
Speaker 1: We can come to that.
Speaker 7: Does Lucy represent the game players? Is that who she represented?
Speaker 2: In that?
Speaker 1: The people? She is the popular vote?
Speaker 3: She's a strong independent that everybody needs to rule the game or country.
Speaker 2: So exactly, Okay, First up here is console design, folky, who do you think had the better argument here?
Speaker 3: Well, so I gotta give it to Michael Hyam, mainly because when you admit that you're opposing your opponent's console looks better than your own and you appreciate it. You kind of lose that argument automatically. Also, let's be real, who in their right mind is going to look at the PS five console think this is modern and I love it because this is definitely something less futuristic and I'm not a big fan of it, and it takes away too much space the fair points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Matt kind of did himself in in that one when he's like, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Like the Xbox more.
Speaker 2: It's like he like didn't even get to his point on that.
Speaker 1: Ardea, and you're you're touching on something that is I think a key issue with this entire debate is that every single time a topic came up, the other person was like, well, I gotta give it to this guy. I'm like, this is a console war. You can't both be Switzerland. Someone has to win. And this is the core of my issue. There wasn't a there wasn't a blood bath. There was too kind.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I mean I was expecting Paget to be to be nice. I mean his Canadian and we tend to always say sorry and then also give it to the other person. But there was just so much night and so much all around that. Yeah, I had a really hard time coming new decision on this one.
Speaker 1: Mine, though I got it. Here's the thing. I know you brought me on because I hate Michael Him. I know that's why he brought me on. And I'm going to be like the what's the guy who's the British guy from the singing show that hates everybody, Simon Cowe. I'm Simon. I am the New Jersey Simon Cowell. And I'm always going to say that Michael Him did a bad job. But literally Matt couldn't even throw me a bone and literally impossible to choose him. He literally said, this looks unplaystation. This looks the exact same as the PS three, just with a white polo shirt over it. Right, like he didn't give himself any sort of help at all. And the fact that him went with quote a pop collar, that that metaphor, that metaphor is amazing. And and now we're getting the PS three for reference here, like just go go to your closet and get a white polisher. Put it over there. That's the PS five. That's that's literally what it is.
Speaker 3: I don't like one of those Binders from high School is wrapping around real quick, and we're going to go exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I gotta give it to High as much as I don't want to in the in the in the interest of fairness and in terms of keeping our democracy, I have to give it. I have to give it to Michael Hyam with this one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Michael, I was on the fence, but Michael called it a sleek brick and I was into it, so like, I also gave it to Michael.
Speaker 3: We like those bricks around here, Let's go.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, not that my vote really counts here, but I would also say Michael had this one mostly because Matt just kind of gave it to him. Like I think I could have gone along with the PS five being better, but Matt just kind of gave up.
Speaker 3: I mean, has Helm is cool, but I can't wear.
Speaker 4: It, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm also noticing if you listen to this episode, you can totally tell that Michael Hyam was in politics at one point because he has some real AOC demeanor. Whe's like, listen, I gotta give you to this guy. But if you think about it, in the greater scheme, I'm sitting here like the way that he's doing this is like he's been trained. He's been prepared for the Xbox Nation to really give the get the people what they want, the real stats and the Not.
Speaker 7: Only that, but he hit his time mark almost every single time. It was like it's a minute and he's like, yeah, I got my point in suspiciously.
Speaker 1: So did he have a timer up? Was he trained by mister Spencer? He did not have a timer up? The timer was I was running that so timer was in his heart? Yeah, he did well there.
Speaker 2: Next thing, we have his controller design or just controller in general in.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about this? So I have a couple of quotes here from mister Hyam quote, I feel like I can grip it pause is what he said. And when you when that's your opening statement, it's pretty hard to take the rest of what you say at face value. And he also says later on that same debate, huge feet. So unfortunately regards Matt could have literally been silent, his mic could have been destroyed halfway through that, and I would still have given it to Matt. But Matt also gave some good arguments and he also said that he the controller redefines the way he thinks about games, which is I think what every controller manufacturer wants to hear, right, They all want to be like, oh, well, the features in this make me want to play games in a different way, and I think that that's so I'm not even getting the next gen consoles, but like that to me, I was like, WHOA, I wonder what's the big deal about this controller that makes him think that this is like a key feature for the future. So I mean, I'm not gonna buy the PS five, but I might just go to Target and get the controller, you know, just to see it. So I grip it with your hand, yes to I feel like I can grip it. Quote Michael him, I not a shuret.
Speaker 3: Get the next round of business cards. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think in his own words he'd probably say relax, right he did.
Speaker 1: He did say relax after that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if there's a relax counter, he probably said it many times. Jacob McCourt, how do you feel about this argument PS five?
Speaker 7: I think it was the resounding winner in this round of debate strictly because of how Matt explained how game changing the haptic triggers were. Both are refinements on the old controllers. But Matt really sold me when he talked about those haptic triggers.
Speaker 1: So PS five wins it in this round. Do you both have notes? Uh? Yeah we do.
Speaker 3: Wow. I had to work today, so you know, I was listening to this while I was getting some stuff done on the job. Y'all taking notes making it look bad man, what a good person.
Speaker 1: I can't. I can't come at Michael Hyam's neck without notes like you, I'm going against the AOC games right here. I got to make sure that I come correct with my documentation if I'm going to come at him, I gotta. If I come for the king, I better not miss you know.
Speaker 3: I feel that I feel that fogy what about you? I mean I gotta give a dual sense as well. It's for me personally, like the Xbox controller is so safe, where when it comes down to like arguing that, it's like, well, it's an Xbox controller, it works, it connects, it has the features that you want a controller to do. But the fact that Matt thoroughly explained like yeah, like you do this, the tension is different and stuff like that, and all the other videos I've been coming out over the last couple of days and weeks, it's like, yeah, you can't argue the Dual Sense is not better than the Xbox Controller at this point in time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one thing that I cut from the initial edit that I sent to you guys, I think I cut it.
Speaker 3: At least.
Speaker 2: Lucy had mentioned that do we include the Xbox Elite Controller, and ultimately we decided not to because it doesn't come with the box, and we thought that might be kind of unfair. But I think even if we included that, I think the Dual Sense would probably still have a pretty good shot of winning, just because of what Matt had said about how it kind of makes you rethink how you play games with the controller, which is something that I feel like even the Elite Controller doesn't necessarily do, or at least it doesn't do anymore, since.
Speaker 3: They've already had a couple revisions of those, and like with the Elite Controller, you have to set it to be different, whereas the Dual Sense just does it. Like that's really cool. And the fact that it's only what seventy dollars for the controller or something like that versus two hundred or for the Elite two.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I know we were told to disregard, but there's also a speaker of some kind on there that's supposed to be better than previous. Matt just really sold me on it, So I know I was supposed to disregard that, but I regarded it.
Speaker 1: And also it's interesting when you get later into the debate, is that like Xbox and PlayStation seem to be doing the complete polar opposite of each other. Whereas the PlayStation is like, oh, the physical item is like completely different, right, and then for Xbox, like, no, it's just the same. It's a giant box. Literally, it's a giant It's what it's. It is what it is, right, samely the controller, whereas PlayStation is like, yeah, the games are what they are, They're going to be the same series and this is going to come up later and other arguments or whatever. But with Xbox, like, no, we have a Netflix style subscription, we have quick resume. Like it feels like the software side is where Xbox is pushing more restplaystation. It's the physical hardware where you're kind of getting a huge difference. So I think we call that from.
Speaker 2: Matt, right, we did all right, Next up backwards compatibility.
Speaker 1: Ian, you want to start with this one. I mean, Matt bro help, please, just help me. I want to vote for you. Man, You're making it real hard, but literally literally he goes Days Gone looks real good on the PlayStation five, And then I was I was gonna punch my monitor. I was like, Matt, are you serious?
Speaker 2: Could have said, could have said God of War, could.
Speaker 1: Have said, could have said he could have said like Flappy Bird. I would have been like, yeah, man, sure, man with Days Gone, I don't even know if a single person played that game, Like why are you bringing this up? But then of course Mike killing it with the the arguments obviously undefeated. You know, good messaging, right, The messaging behind backwards impatibility is almost as important as the feature. Like when you get an Xbox, you know you're getting the Xbox plus one hundred other things, right, Whereas PlayStation you're like, if you ask me, can I play PlayStation four games on I five? I couldn't tell you with confidence if I can, or how you even would do it? Right? Both Xboxes like, oh yeah, whatever, just throw the disc from two thousand and five into this twenty twenty box and somehow you get a game like That's that should be illegal, Like that's that's insane. That's like that is really appealing to like the midwestern Wisconsin mom who's like, yeah, just get them the Xbox and put the disc in. It doesn't matter like that. That I think is the best part. And again, Michael Hyam really definitely killing it with these the message on these on these debates, Man, Jacob, how about you.
Speaker 7: I think I wrote, in addition to Michael saying undefeated, I have game Pass delicious in my notes. And I don't know if he said that or if I just thought that.
Speaker 1: That's a little weird, but I think it a buffet.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what it was. I wasn't just hungry when I wrote these notes.
Speaker 1: It was Michael. He really sold it.
Speaker 7: He talked about Skate three, even Matt was talking about, yeah, you could play splinter Cell games. I don't know if he was trying to get some favor with you, Jake by talking about splinter Cell, but I think it was far and away a victory for Michael in that respect. And I and you said it, but Matt really was shooting himself on the foot by saying, you know, this thing wasn't messaged well, it wasn't perfect you know, the PS four library is intensely awesome, but Michael wins it for me in this one.
Speaker 1: What do you think, Fogy?
Speaker 3: I mean, they all kind of hit the nail on the head on that one. So there's not too much I can add. But the clear difference when it comes to the backwards compatibility is like you can tell that Microsoft in Xbox is a software first company, not a hardware first company, so they've spent the time to make that ecosystem way better. And even with like, for example, Skate three, that game on an Xbox one X looks amazing for a game from two thousand and eleven or twelve or something like that, and all the other games I played, oh what was it? Arb and Dangerous recently because that was for free. It looks so good for a game that's that old, And I'm like, this is fun, Like this is perfect. I can't comfantly say, like any like backwards compatible game one PlayStation five, that's PS four, that's cool, But what if you want to play a PS two game or PS five game. And I think that's what Michael hit on the head is like you can go back and play all these different games for different generations and Matt Oily really argue like you can play these PS four games like Asushima in Days Gone.
Speaker 1: I feel like this is also an issue when it comes to Microsoft being a US first company and Sony being a japan first company, Like, like living over there, the majority of PlayStation or the majority of PlayStation owners still have their PS two and it is completely it still runs like and you can go to secondhand shops in Japan you can get a perfectly perfectly running PlayStation two PlayStation three for like less than one hundred dollars. So it's I feel like it's a very specific America versus Japan POV problem when it comes to the messaging, because I'm sure that if you went to a boardroom at Sony, they were like, why do we need backwards impatible? Don't you own the PlayStation two? And every person in America is like, bro, I've moved six times. What do you It's at my grandma's house in on the other side of the country. And they're like, oh, well, that's unfortunate, Like I hope you buy the PS five. I guess you know. So it's as much as I want to give the wind to Matt it's it's Sony's problem, not his, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So I guess Michael takes that one. The next thing we have, though, are exclusives. Fogy do you want to start on this one?
Speaker 3: And I felt so bad when this topic came up for Michael, because there's just no way you can compete, especially when Infinite got canceled before even like a release date came out or whatever. I might be wrong on that one, but Emma got delayed, my man, not canceled, delayed. It's like, yeah, you can't really argue your big bread winner getting delayed. I'm gonna watch your console. So by default, Matt's definitely winning this one.
Speaker 1: What do you think, Jacob uh?
Speaker 7: Michael laughed and conceded. So I think right there I was. I was already on the on the PlayStation five side. I think Matt said, Yo, we got games Spider Man, Astro's player room bugs, now we got him, and then he went on to insult Yakuza like a dragon, which I guess is like the big exclusive on on the Xbox side, by saying it's for webs. I don't know how to spell webs, but it's in my notes, so I would say that Michael wanted on this one despite Yakuza like a dragon being Gotty Gotti or Gody Gotty.
Speaker 1: Game of the Year potential. You mean Matt Gody.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah, I give it to Matt on the PS five.
Speaker 1: What do you think you in? So here's the thing. This is This is where, this is where the villain turns to the hero and they become friends. They shake hands, and then they fight the even greater evil. Because as much as I want to give it to Matt, he said in an open forum, most of the world ain't webs and he is defending the PlayStation five. Sony just bought crunchy roll. Bro, you're fighting against your own team. Excuse me, do you know what are you talking about? And then went on to just again. I wrote her here in my notes it says here, most of the world ain't weaves. Canceled, bro canceled, canceled, just canceled, seven times, over and over again. You have an anime podcast. Who knows?
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 1: I'm not allowed to say here, but uh, Jake said, no animation. I'd like to hear a show. But here's the one thing though, I gave this a tie in my head because Mike, as we know, both in the console war and in politics, the the end result doesn't matter. It's all about the messaging, right, Because here's the thing, the word is exclusives. He could have been like Xbox exclusives, and then he could have just ended it that no real argument, and then everyone said, whoa, You're right exclusive. Oh my gosh. So I'm kind of sad that Mike didn't do that. So I'm gonna it's a tie for me because Matt committed a war crime by saying that people aren't weeds, and then Mike just didn't really do much, So that's a tie.
Speaker 3: Also, let's not forget one of the big PS four games was a for some of five and he just caught off all those people. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they really do be your own people sometimes, and this time it was a Canadian person being his own people against Japan.
Speaker 2: Well, you may have given a tie, but unfortunately we have two on Matt's side here, so I think Matt wins.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, that checks out. I'm on the right side of history. I will say that, Matt, if I ever meet you in real life, you know, you know what's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: One thing that Michael didn't touch on, which I thought he would were the fact that Microsoft just bought a shit ton of studios and will soon have a bunch of exclusives.
Speaker 1: But we did do a topic on.
Speaker 2: The future, which I think he did much better at Wait real quick.
Speaker 1: If we can go back. This is the one that I said that Lucy won, because I actually have notes underneath here saying Lucy actually gave the perfect slam dunk argument for Mike because it was the argument, the logistic argument between the difference between exclusives versus perceived exclusives, where she brings up Assassin's Creed, where if you ask that the layman person, where you'll play Call of Duty, where you'll play Assassin's Creed, it's gonna be on the XBO, not the PlayStation. So even though it is technically purchasable on all platforms, since cross play is not always going to be a thing on the Sony side, in reality, you have created a perceived exclusive with these particular marketed games. So this is the one actually where I said, tye, wait, no, Lucy wins. So that's that's that's I'm I'm voting for the Ralph Nader which is Lucy.
Speaker 2: So so if we put Lucy into the mix here, fogy Jacob, what do you guys think?
Speaker 1: Do you think Matt still has this?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna sick with Matt. I got to all right, I just it pains.
Speaker 7: Me, but I have to Yeah, same, I'm sticking. I'm sticking with Matt on this one. The Green Party loses again, I get it. Yeah, fine, part of the course, so that one goes to Matt.
Speaker 2: Next is future Ian who argued a better future for gamers, specifically.
Speaker 1: For gamers, not for anyone else, exclusively for just so. So I wrote here on my notes for both parties, please, for the love of God, stop helping each other. You are making yourself lose. And I wrote that on Mike's side. So that's number one, and kind of I went with with mister Hyam here. I went with my new you know, the Dante to my Virgil here because he kind of hit the nail on the head because he said that when you look to PlayStation, you get reliability. You know what you're getting, right, You're gonna get the Spider Man, right, You're gonna get possibly Bloodborn or Bloodborn KRT whatever that studio is doing. I have no idea you're gonna get these like big Sony games. Right, But once that well is dry, what else are you playing there? Right? There's a whole swath of games that are going to be played on both consoles, right, And on top of that, Xbox is an unknown quantity. They just bought a whole bunch of studios and there's tons of stuff that isn't really known yet for the Xbox side. So if we're talking about the future, a hypothetical future where unknowns are are good, right, I think that Xbox is where my vote's gonna go, which is going to be on high im side. I could see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought he did a much better job fighting for the future than he did for exclusives. But I guess to be fair, those are kind of intertwined a little bit, how about you, Jacob. I know that Matt spoke about how the PS four generation for Sony was bright. It was all about wild swings that paid off, right, It was about Spider Man from Insomniac. It was about I almost said Days Gone, but I won't say Days Gone. Its h I can say Days Gone was a game.
Speaker 1: It was it was fine.
Speaker 7: People give it a lot of crap it was fine, uh and a lot of other you know, big swings that paid off, he said, more familiar but fun. Xbox just has so much potential in the future around all the studio acquisitions they made. I think that it was sold similarly, but I think that there is just so much out there studio wise that Xbox has to pull from in the next generation that I gave it to Michael in this one. So I think we're two and O for Michael.
Speaker 3: How about you, Fogy oh Man. I think Michael definitely argued a better case for the future with Xboxes, talking about the acquisitions and what can't happen. But I will say Matt did argue that with Sony, you do know what you're gonna get and you can rely on that consistency and whatnot. I'm gonna go with the tie just because I think that both of them did a decent job arguing. But personally what personally in my case, I want to give it to Michael, but I have to give a tie stickular rules.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: So I think that being said, Michael still wins though, right because we've got two for Michael and one tie. So the future belongs to Michael.
Speaker 1: That's his that's his campaign slogan. The future below it's not good.
Speaker 3: You hated leaves before, Wait till you have a future with Michael in charge.
Speaker 1: The psycho Hi himself relax.
Speaker 2: The next two topics are a little tricky. It is the three D audio in quick Zoome. Since one console has quick Zome and the other does not, one as three D audio and the other does not. I figure we can kind of look at this in terms of who argued their side better, like like based on their argument, which which entices you more to one of these two consoles.
Speaker 1: H Folky, I just saw you.
Speaker 3: I want to say, with this one, they both were like they were both agreeing too much on these two particular subjects, and I feel like they all kind of defaulted to it's cool, but it's not needed, And they didn't really argue, like for one very hard. They didn't cape, they didn't like put go out there for their for their squad. So I don't think anybody wins this topic in my opinion, they were just not decisive enough.
Speaker 2: So like a tie set, instead of both teams doing well, they both just fail.
Speaker 3: They both get in l exactly. This is the feature on where both people can get in l for not caping hard enough for their side.
Speaker 1: How about you, Ian? So here's here's the thing. I think that this is gonna come down to no matter which side argued better. I think this comes down to the person who's on the other end of this question, right, Because when I hear three D audio, that means nothing to me. I have I have air what is not AirPods? I have the the original Apple headphones. Like, I don't think that most people understand the the difference of high fidelity audio, right, And this is like the layman's person, right, Like me as someone who edits audio, I'm still like, I have no idea what a decibel is, right, So that's kind of my whole stick.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So when Mike said, you know, I'm playing a game for a little bit, I'm playing some racing games. I hit the quick resume, I go to this game for a little bit, and that's when my brain is ready to play some ukuza like a dragon right to my ADHD sensibilities, Right, I was like, wait, I don't need to wait forty five minutes. I don't even need to take out my phone. I just click that next game button and I'm ready to go. That to me is way more appealing, and I think also appeals to the average video game player, right because even if we're talking about like separating it from like the joke of me not being able to decide, right, You'll be playing a game, You'll turn off your Xbox whatever, and then you're like, Okay, I actually want to play a new game this time. Well, guess what, quick zoom still works there, right, that it is a function that works way more seamlessly in the average playtime. Then I don't know, if you have headphones connected or whatever, you hear the sound behind you, which is like a two thousand and nine feature for like surround sound audio, which like three people have, you know what I mean, and all of them work at GameStop. So yeah, that's kind of my two cents. I think that Mike wins it. But then also he is appealing to my demographic so I understand why where some people would want to go with Matt on that one. How about you, Jacob?
Speaker 7: So I won't like belabor the point, but I think that I agree a lot with Fogie on this in that you know, both sides were kind of about their about their their touted features. I mean, on the quick zoom side, it was like, yeah, this is kind of cool to be able to swap between games. And on the three D audio side, Matt was talking about, you know, before the pandemic, how I saw three D audio and on another device that wasn't a Sony device, and how that was cool. But both sides seem to sell that like these features were not essential, they were nice to have, and like, I just think that both sides, like Fogie said, didn't really sell me on why either feature was cool. So I think I'm going to give it a tie as well. So I don't know what you're gonna do here, Jake. I think you're thinking, like, what.
Speaker 4: Do I do?
Speaker 1: What do I do? That's exactly what I'm thinking. Listen, y'all said, tie, which is a nothing vote in a swing state, which is where we are. The Gamer Nation is a swing state. All right, I'm the one who voted. It's going to high m.
Speaker 2: How about how about we come back to this. Okay, we'll circle back, We'll see how the others pan out. It will count up, we'll count up. That will tally it up. And if we are stuck with a tiebreaker and we need to make a decision. We'll come back to it and revisit it. I like the criteria. Yes, I have information that might swing the vote over to Matt's side. Uh, Michael Iam did say quote sack boy be playing with his sack unquote, so that I think just qualifies him from the race just in general. So just for the future when we come back to this, keep that in mind. This is a direct quote. So just so y'all know, I'm.
Speaker 3: Sorry you have to edit this part out.
Speaker 1: It's even invited me on the majority of what I'm saying is gonna be edited out. I'm gonna be honest, man, who's that you? And guy who was a lot of beep the entire time is crazy?
Speaker 2: Next one here is storage and transfer speeds foggy? Do you want to start with this one?
Speaker 3: Man? So I'll say this. I'm gonna give this to Michael because when talking about transferring of games, well, what really helped him out is when Lucy talked about transferring games from her PS four PS five, and Hal was taking quite a bit of time for that to go through, and then Michael talked about like, yeah, I just kind of pluged the hard drive in and they were there. They were available. Like the fact that I can still play games off of my hard drift the heads like three terribytes full of games and then down at all the new Xbox Series X Enhanced or whatever they're called games to the new console is amazing. That saves me probably what three or four hours right there and not have to sit there. So Mike, with the assistance of Lucy, definitely gets this one. Sorry, Matt, I love you, So he lost this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one is an interesting one because if you look at this on paper, one is clearly better than the other, and it's pretty hard to argue that. I would say, like having transferred a lot on the Xbox, haven't done much with the PlayStation five because I don't have it yet, but it is so seamless, it's so easy, and it sounds like there's some hoops you have to jump through the PS five. But with that in mind, Jacob, how do you feel about this?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 7: I want to cheers Michael Hyam on this one because he absolutely crushed it.
Speaker 1: I had a prop. I brought a prop.
Speaker 7: I think he said, I forget who said for real?
Speaker 1: Ass I have.
Speaker 7: All I have written in my notes is in caps for real ass and I don't know what the context is, but Michael kind of sold that. You know, the storage options are great, the transfer speeds are great, the ecosystem is good. Whereas on the PS five side, I'm sure they'll get there as far as MBME options and external storage. But at the start, like you said, Jake, it's it's clearly like an Xbox game. Michael could have sat there and said Xbox good and probably won the side of the debate.
Speaker 1: How do you feel in no, so, I kind of like what you were saying, Jake. Well, you were saying, Jake, there's a difference between being good on paper and being good usability wise, right, And I think that's kind of the separation that we're seeing between the PS five and Xbox, which was argued by Michael, where you can say on oh yeah, PS five writes this much, or writes that much, or or or transfers data this way. But if I have to jump through a whole rung of hoops and I have to make sure that games are transferred over to the main console but then hide on my hard drive in the interim that you know takes away I think from like we talked about before, the the my ADHD sensibilities like if I have to wait another twenty minutes to make sure that the game is transferred over or what have you, Right, that takes away from what you want to be doing. Right, So I think that the fact that Xbox is taking away those barriers and it's like, oh yeah, if you have the games, you know, plug it in, don't worry about it. I think that's kind of the strong suit to this argument, which is why I got to give it. Unfortunately, because I want to make I want him to lose every time. But Matt, You're like, you're literally like throwing it up and he's mckenbae. Buttombo dunking you into the floor. Please? Is there not speech and debate in Canada?
Speaker 5: Bro?
Speaker 1: Help please? So I got to give it, said Michael Hyam.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, Yet, I think if we learn anything from this, it's that these two are not not made for debates. They're too nice to each other. Gotta go for the throat more.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: With that being said, ian Ui, how do you how'd you feel about those arguments?
Speaker 1: So here's the thing, I have nothing to say I have nothing to say because I mean, here's the for me personally, like this, this debate like always kind of falls flat because how often am I sitting at my home screen just staring at my PlayStation or staring at my Xbox hofs like, Wow, look at the flowing green texture that I have, You know what I mean? So for even though I again I always I feel like a default to Michael Hyan because we have the same sort of mental POV even though he's my sworn enemy like Saske to Naruto. Right it to me, it's like one of these like moot points where I'm like, the PS five could could literally be the Mona Lisa of Ui and it would not affect you or I. It would It would be a nothing, It would be nothing for me. If it gets to the game quickly, it's cool and that's all I really care about. So I gotta give it. I'll say it's a time. If everyone else is saying ties, then I'll I have to give it to Michael Him just because of the sac why common Earlier Wait, I thought that's why you wouldn't want to give it to Michael Him. No, all I'm saying he's canceled, but I want to still have him win. You know, he also just thene me thirty dollars, So okay.
Speaker 7: Great, So are you saying so you've been like weirdly not okay with Michael Throat and then you just said you accept that a bribe from him, Like, I don't know what side to be on here.
Speaker 3: In some countries bribes are not bribes.
Speaker 1: It's true. It's a cultural thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, sorry, it's jeez.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, with that being said, Jacob McCourt, how do you feel.
Speaker 7: I also kind of gave this one a tie. What I heard from uh on the Xbox side from Michael was that, you know, Xbox has made tons of strides from a UI perspective, but the updates were made like a month before the console came out, so you didn't get that new UI feel when you got into the console for the first time. And Matt kind of said, hey, you know back background, dynamic backgrounds lit, how about that cross media bar work. It's a little confusing, but manageable. But on both sides, it just seemed to me like UI was a is like a preference thing, and in both cases the UI was great, and so they were very nice to each other, and so it seemed like a case of they're both good but different.
Speaker 1: So I gave it a tie.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, so that's kind of two ties, except you may be slightly leaning more towards Michael for this, right, Anne.
Speaker 7: Are we doing a good job of judging. We're giving a lot of ties.
Speaker 3: We just got in the tie section of the night. Yeah, we got all right, Fogie, what do you think I'm going to be an Asian a chaos and give us one of Michael? Just so Mac and lois also also because when Michael said the Xbox UI is generally the same, it's like, oh, I'm familiar with that one. PlayStation UI has always and still is bad.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, personal actually loads very poorly on the old like I don't trust. Here's the thing with the way that the PlayStation store ran and the way that the PlayStation four took three hundred years to load when you went down to the games like community feature, I've been burned before. My trust has not been earned. I'm sorry, mister PlayStation. I have to give it to mister box.
Speaker 7: You want to trailer, pull up YouTube, don't go into PlayStation store.
Speaker 3: The fact that I downloaded Twitch and it took me three minutes to find where that app went when I first got my PlayStation. Is a problem? Just throw it up.
Speaker 2: Well, we've gone through all of the main topics here right now, looks like Michael has five and Matt has two. Short However, however, we're not done yet. All right, there's a couple more things that we have to judge here, the first one being who do you think had a better overall performance? Who do you think carried themselves better? Who do you think I guess followed the rules better, was more engaging? I guess generally, don't think of the console, don't think of which console you might be leaning to, just in terms of their performance. Fogy, do you want to kick us off with this?
Speaker 3: All right, We're gonna go back to being an agent of chaos and Lucy wins this one.
Speaker 2: Lucy all right on the right side of his point for Lucy, how about you, Jacob?
Speaker 7: This is gonna sound like a really wholesome comment that I'm about to say. But like can all my can all my people win?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 7: Can everybody win? Do I have to choose someone? I have to choose someone, don't I?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I have to choose.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, if you don't pick anyone and it's a time, Michael's gonna win.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna give it to Michael.
Speaker 7: Uh he just it really impressed me how he hit his time marks almost every single time. The man like there was a second left and his point was totally done. So on that point alone, I'm gonna give it to Michael just polished, poised chef's kiss.
Speaker 1: Ian, What do you think I don't want to say. I've said Michael Hyam's name too many times, man, I feel it. It's like the Bob a Duke, Like if I say Michael Hyams too many times going to like appear in my close and be like dead ass or something. So I don't want to give it to Michael Hyams. I'm gonna have to go. I have to go with Lucy. Guess here's the thing. Whenever an argument came up, she was always the last word of like, well, actually, let's think about it in this weird alternative way as opposed to the the X or y sort of thinking pattern, and like, I still was amazed that that she was like, oh, by the way, it's not about exclusives. It's about what the average consumer thinks, the difference between a perceived exclusive and an actual exclusive. That like was like I had to pause the audit. It was like a Galaxy brain take. I was like, oh my god, she did it. She achieved the fifth dimension. The console war is over. Like that was truly a handshake gamer moment for me between the two. The two is the Geneva Convention of games. You know, exactly exactly. Part of me kind of thinks we should just stack the numbers. So Lucy wins this, you know, that's.
Speaker 3: That's just me.
Speaker 1: I'm not proposing anything. I'm not proposing process.
Speaker 7: She was like the very cool ta that would walk over to you while you're doing your homework and like help you out and maybe give you an answer and be like, hey, you're maybe doing that wrong.
Speaker 1: Like that was Lucy through the whole process.
Speaker 3: She was decisive, unlike those two most of the time.
Speaker 2: Well, it looks like looks like our winner is emerging out of left field. Okay, well, then now that we have that, someone gives you five hundred dollars. You've just listened to this podcast. You can only pick one console to buy. What are you going to pick? If you pick Xbox, that point goes to Michael. If you pick PlayStation, that point goes to Matt. Don't worry so much about their performance this time. This is about like, what what box are you leaning towards?
Speaker 1: Ian? What do you think? What's the man I live in like a two bedroom. I don't think that physically I could buy a PlayStation five. I know that you can't drive that thing in like the Lincoln Tunnel. You know what I mean, It's pretty large.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: But in all seriousness, though, if I was just listening to these arguments and I had to go back and forth between what I prefer, you know, I said earlier about the quick zoom stuff. I talked earlier about the ease of use, right, Like, if I'm buying a console, I'm buying it purely because I want a no friction experience. Right, you have a PC. If you're like, well, listen, I know that today is Tuesday and then tomorrow's Wednesday. A driver will fail in twenty four hours, and it's my job to find it.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: But if I go to my PlayStation five and I'm like, okay, well I want to play Bloodborne, Okay, well you gotta do this, and you gotta do this, and I go here and then download it from this really slow UI thing, right, that to me is just putting roadblocks to what I want to do. And when we're all working, we're all doing our things, we all want that frictionless experience. And every single time Michael Hyms said it in a very relaxed chill, like you know, your homie was trying to sell you on a console that knows you you better than you know yourself. Right, he sold me on a frictionless Xbox experience. And I'm spending I'm actually taking half my money. I'm giving it to Michael Hym for the suggestion, and then I'm going to use the two for you give me, and then I'm going to buy a used one a month from now. All right, So that's another point from Michael.
Speaker 3: Then, Fogy, how about you are you saying we can just kind of like disregard their arguments and stuff like that too, You.
Speaker 2: Can't, yeah, like like because if this podcast, if this podcast, hope you decide, then use that podcast. But if you already have an idea of what, like if this didn't affect your buying decision at all, then actually, if this didn't affect your buying decision all, maybe we should give the point to Lucy.
Speaker 3: No. But like for me personally, because I would if I had the fund her book, I'd probably go buy a PS five only because with the way the Xbox ecosystem set up, I don't feel rushed or pressure to have to buy one right away because most of the games will play there. And then if I do buy it on my on my one X, I can get it what's it called smart delivery, smart delivery if it'll probably have that for the new one, and then with game pass, I can play it on my Xbox, my PC and then eventually my phone whenever Microsoft and IOLs makeup and you know, come friends again. And like, I don't have to like feel forced in the ecosystem. So the PS five would be my choice of power Bucks.
Speaker 1: But let me ask you this though, if you want to go and hang out with someone, right, who are you hanging out with the person who's texting you every day? Like, yo, bro, we're hanging out, we get beers, we get beers.
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 1: We're gonna get beers or we're gonna hang out with your friend? Like, oh, Yo, dude, whenever you're free. Man, We're saying. Xbox is like, Yo, I'm here, I'm hanging out, Smart delivery whenever you want, man.
Speaker 3: That's the thing. Xbox is the homane where you can be, you can talk, you can miss them for a year, things come up, and they'll always be there for you. That's why I got my ability over and done with PSI, you know, Jacob.
Speaker 7: So beyond what Dan said about beyond what ian Ha said about it being like a frictionless experience, I think the one thing that was really sold by Michael on the Xbox side was the fact that the future is very bright for Xbox. You know, beyond the hardware, when you look at Xbox Game Pass and the studios they've acquired, and the franchises that you know, uh, they're going to be sequels in, and the new stuff that's being worked on. I think that that alone. I mean I was already going to go for an Xbox. I already have an Xbox in my possession, but Michael really sold me on the future of Xbox and how getting one not only will be something that will be very easy to set up get going, but there will be games to play for the years to come. So for me, it was it was Michael that really sold me on Xbox, so I'm gonna give him the point.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, what we have is eight points from Michael, three points for Matt, and Lucy nice. Lucy almost tied with Matt. Almost close.
Speaker 1: Good arguments, man, See how good arguments?
Speaker 2: Now before we end, are there any last minute remarks that you want to make, Things you want to call out that you think you think maybe you're worth like an extra point. Think of this as like when you finish Mario Kart and you're winning, and then all of a sudden, your buddy gets like eight stars because he did stupid shit and then they So yeah, if there's anything you want to add that you think they deserve points for, let me know. Now's your chance to speak. I think Fogy had something I don't.
Speaker 3: I'll just pick it back off of you guys. Just you'll do your thing.
Speaker 7: I want to know what the dark side of TikTok is. If Matt Padgack can explain to me what his TikTok algorithm is all about, then like maybe he can get an extra point.
Speaker 1: I just need to know darkness TikTok is at least one point in the popular vot Can.
Speaker 7: You say something about juggalos one point for Juggalos.
Speaker 1: The jugs get one points as a group, So now it was the Juggalo's one point. Lucy gets too. But you know, I don't know, like I feel like I wanna I want to take points away. I don't want to give points. I want to be like Yo, why didn't you mention this? Why didn't you mention why should we take points away from? I think we should take points away from Michael hyam Man. And here's the reason why. Here's the reason why. You see this thing here that I'm holding. You slap this bad boy onto an Xbox controller. It doesn't matter where the console is, and then boom, you're playing your Xbox. But why is that not mentioned? You ever try and do PlayStation now. I started trying to use PlayStation now three years ago and I still haven't started it. It's still loading and it's been loading for three years. Right, Xbox, I clicked this button, little ship goes by, and I'm playing Yacht is a lucky Dragon in my bed with a controller hanging out right? How is that not like the first thing that you mentioned man, every single game on the Xbox becomes a game Boy Advance game, Like it's that accessible. I've played? You want? How many hours of Yachtaville like a dragon I've played on my iPad? Double the amount that I've played on my PC where I should be playing it? Right? So that plus smart delivery, like having your save just instantaneously just oh, by the way, you're playing, Hey your PC's like, hey, by the way, I saw you're playing like a dragon. Let me just pop this save over here, don't worry about let me just get it boom. How is that not an immediate thing? You ever try and transfer a save to the cloud on PlayStation? I would. I could write the code for my save faster than PlayStation. You can figure out to put this stuff in the cloud? Bro, we could make I can make a literal cloud of information and put it to God, and then God would put into my PlayStation five faster.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: So many like contract Microsoft to help them with their cloud services recently too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's accurate.
Speaker 3: Oh thank god they're gonna need that help.
Speaker 2: So that being said, then I am all for taking a point away from Michael for that, But you brought up multiple points. Do you think we should take more than one point from Mike?
Speaker 1: What's the lead? How many? How many point?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: Can I this is Mary Marty, there's no rules.
Speaker 1: This is I want to I want to see how I want to see how many post mortem I could take away from Michael so that we can make it just even between everybody, like, can we make it too? Can we make it? Juggalos one, Lucy too, Matt to Michael, hyam too? Can we do that? Can we? Can we do a flat electoral college situation with this?
Speaker 7: What's what's the thing that he said that you said you were never going to forget? There was a very memorable yes, you said, I will not forget it. Yes, okay, let me see here. I have so many things here I feel like I can grip it. Was one there goes.
Speaker 1: One point five as a popped collar, another point gone saying saying that, saying something about huge feet. That's definitely my three points. Where was the other one?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: It was the sack boy comment. Where is it? Oh my gosh, where is it? Where is at least four points?
Speaker 2: So right now Matt and Michael are tied. Then all right, each have four?
Speaker 1: So gamers win.
Speaker 3: The true chaos has been unlocked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they each have four and Lucy Scott two.
Speaker 1: Roxley, do you want to know do you want to know how we can actually know the winner here? Of everyone on the call right now, how many of us have an Xbox? How many of us have a PlayStation five? Because listen, if we learned anything from politics over the past couple of years, it doesn't matter what you say out loud, it matters at the end of the day, what is the real result. So if we have more PlayStation fives here, then technically Matt might get a point. If we have more Xboxes here, then maybe that should be a point for Michael.
Speaker 3: I think we have more Xboxes here because I think both Jakes have one.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have two, is what?
Speaker 2: Actually I have three in my house right now. So man, so that's a little unfair.
Speaker 1: Listen, you are, you're a swing state, your vote means more. No, my vote's not part of this.
Speaker 3: Just so the years at home, I did not condone to this, and no idea this is happening.
Speaker 1: So innocent of all this chaos, I am not in this and it is my fault. Jake invited me knowing full well that I'm on pain medication from a shoulder injury. So he knew that this was gonna go a little weird. But no, I gotta, I gotta. In all fairness, I do have to give Michael Him aka the AOC of Games the winner here because he really sold me. Man. I was very I said this before the show even started. I was very mid on the next gen. I'm like, I got my PC. I'm good for a couple of years. I'm playing whatever I need to play here. But I'm not gonna lie man frictionless talking about sac Boy really's given the down to Earth arguments. You know, Michael him is Assault of the Earth guy that really sold me on Assault of the Earth console, and that is the Xbox you know, well, I think the Xbox One. Well, I think I think the Xbox One.
Speaker 2: I think that's what we're gonna have to end this with.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wait, sorry, the Xbox One or the Xbox Series X.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I was saying, why did why didn't they do a commercial where it was like the Xbox Series and one dude, wait, that would have been they shouldn't have called the Xbox Series X. They shouldn't call it the Xbox One. Wo n that would have been the biggest gigaflex of all time. Phil Spencer, please hire me man, you know my number.
Speaker 2: Next time, next console launch, maybe they'll do the Xbox one. Anyway, thank you all so much for joining Fogy.
Speaker 1: Do you wanna tell us.
Speaker 2: A little bit about what you do and where people can find you and where they can support your work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for having me on. You can find me on Twitter and Twitch under Fogie Underscore, Bay Fog Underscore Bear lots of ridiculousness and fun stuff going on. I do a lot of fighting game related content as of now, but with the world shutdown, kind of shifting to other stuff and focusing on some other things and adding for some dreamers and whatnot. But yeah, find me on Twitter and Twitch. Come through, say what's up?
Speaker 1: Jacob?
Speaker 3: How about you?
Speaker 7: You can find me on Twitter at Jacob McCort. I host two podcasts. The first is called up Behind Game Club. It is a video game book club podcast you can find at left behind game dot Club. And I also host a video game movie podcast called Cutscenes. We just finished season one last month. We are starting season two in February of twenty one. So if you like video game movies, come through.
Speaker 2: Have you talked about Doom the Doom movie?
Speaker 7: We have not, but that is on our list to talk about because we stan DJ. I do not know the man, so I probably shouldn't call him DJ, but we stand the rock, so.
Speaker 1: We will watch it someday.
Speaker 7: Yes, DJ, Queen Johnson my Palada someone named DJ.
Speaker 1: What happened all I remember from that movie?
Speaker 2: I saw it in theaters and I just remember the extended first person scene that's just like Doom but in a movie, and it was like, this is weird.
Speaker 1: Even as a kid, I was like, no, I don't think this is it.
Speaker 7: Most video game movies bad, but the podcast a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Well check that out.
Speaker 5: Ian?
Speaker 1: How about you? So you can follow me at Lucy James Games. I am a senior video producer. I gave no. You can follow me on Twitter and twitch at Ian y not I A n W H Y n OT. If you like anime and you are part of if you're not a part of the Anti Anime Alliance like Jake is, you can follow my anime podcast. It is a plus anime all spelled out that is AP l U S A N I m E. We also have a YouTube channel where we break down tons of anime stuff. We just put out a video talking about why my hero Academias current arc is maybe not as good as you think it is, which is very YouTube title, and you can also follow me on YouTube. I do tons of weird, silly comedy videos and stuff. I have a show called Off the bean where I sit on a bean bag and just go down these weird rabbit holes of thoughts and I think that's it. Oh, speaking of rabbit holes, I have a series coming out at the end of this month called rabbit Holes where I try and do these ridiculous sort of challenges and I give myself one month to do it. Uh. The first one that I'm doing here is, uh, I'm trying to become a voice actor in one month. So as I love anime, I'm trying to get on an anime and become a voice actor with a job in one month. So there you go.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 1: That sounds pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Well, now that you know where to find all of these people, if you're mad that they have decided that Michael one and then Xbox is better and that PlayStation sucks, you can find them on Twitter and complain to all of them. GameSpot had nothing to do with this. I'm stepping away. I'm stepping away. You can't get mad at me.
Speaker 1: That's how it works.
Speaker 3: Bring it on, Bring it on, sweaties, he says.
Speaker 2: But anyway, thank you all so much for joining, and we will see all next week. Bye bye, soon to return to