Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now, here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So for those of you that are interested and able to make it up to Lexington tomorrow to see the team have their open practice, it will start at let's see, let me make sure I get this correct. So here we go. Well, the press conferences that I can tell you when they start, Louisville will have Pat Kelsey from eleven twenty to eleven thirty five tomorrow morning, and then let's see, I'm trying to see when they're doing the player Yeah, I'm sorry, let me back up. Eleven oh five is when it's going to start for Louisville. That's when they're going to have the Louisville players available. And then Pat Kelsey will talk from eleven twenty to eleven thirty five. So basically eleven am till about eleven thirty ish was when we'll hear from coach Kelsey. And I'm not sure if it's certain players. I'm really and it's kind of crazy. I don't really remember how they do it. I know there's more players available for the NCAA tournament. Press conferences than there is typically, but you know, as far as how many, I'm not totally sure. Now as far as let's see practice time, so let's see this is open to well, I may be lied to you because I know they had open practices the last time that I went to cover rate INSTABA tournament, but I don't know if that was based off of the host that was in Des Moines, Iowa, which by the way, Drake was the host, and there was an open practice for fans. But when I'm looking at here the practice schedule, it just says that it's open to the media, and Louisville's will be tomorrow right after the press conferences, from eleven forty five to twelve twenty five, So maybe there's I guess there's not an open practice for fans to watch it, and I'll double check on that. But anyways, with this being such a short trip, I would imagine that you know, you're not having to stay overnight or anything. Therefore you're probably just gonna if you're gonna go, you're gonna just drive up on Thursday morning and then of course come back after the game and hopefully make your way back to Lexington on Saturday all right, it's coffee and company. We are feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us, Nick Coffee. That's me the tribal chief, Austin Montgomery alongside today. And when it comes to this home court advantage that you should have to an extent on Thursday, I hate talking attendance turn out because I can never win, right, because if you give any honest thoughts on it, you have some folks that will tell you that it's terrible and it's a huge issue. You need to acknowledge it. And then if you do actually express some concern and question, I guess maybe why there isn't a big crowd, then you're being negative. So I've learned long ago that the whole conversation about attendance turnout it's really not that interesting, and it usually, you know, puts me in a spot to where I you know, I can't win. So I'm gonna make an exception here because I feel like you're gonna need a good amount of fans there, and I think there's no scenario where Louisville doesn't have more presence than their opponents in these games. If they even get to a second game. I mean, Creighton's gonna have fans, which, by the way, Creighton has a way bigger basketball fan base than people realize. And I'm sure some of them will be here, I mean, because they have a fan base that's passionate enough to where they make the even though it's not close. They're in Omaha, Nebraska, that's far away. But they'll have some fans here too. But Louisville should clearly have more. But what I don't know, and I can't like I could totally see it being one extreme or the other, which maybe that means it's probably gonna be in the middle, because I wouldn't be shocked if it's you know, painted red as they say, because again, like this team has been so fun to watch, Louisville fans are way way into it in a way that like I forgot how awesome it was. I mean, even last week postseason play acc tournament, being able to play three straight days, it just, you know, I could feel the sense of you know, camaraderie, family feel among the fan base because we haven't really been first of all, we have been good in a long time, and you're playing games that matter and it was just fun. So with that said, if there is a great turnout to where it's not twenty two thousand people there, you know, I think that that wouldn't shock me. We're talking, you know, if Louisville's got way more fans than Creighton, and even when Creighton's playing, well, you still hear and see way more Red, that wouldn't be a shocker at all. But then again, it's Thursday at twelve fifteen, and I just like, I also can't say I'm going to be stunned if Louisville has an advantage, but it's not what some people are expecting. And I don't know, maybe everybody's expecting a different level of you know, fanfare. I just don't really know, Cause again I'm not going if you can't make it because it's at twelve fifteen on a Thursday and you're not able to just you know, drop what you're doing, get off work. I mean, people have lives, they and it's not really about like do you prioritize Sometimes it's just you can't make it work, like you know you aren't gonna be able to do it. I mean, if you go to the game at twelve fifteen, I mean, your kids aren't out of school, like maybe you are in charge of gain like, so again not to say it'd be impossible for you to make arrangements to be able to get there, but I also can see, you know, there being plenty of people that would go, but they just had a tough time making it work. Now, Saturday, if they're able to get past Creighton, I mean that I think will be a huge Louisville crowd because that's a much easier thing to get to. It's Auburn the number and overall seed, it's a quick trip up the road, Like, I mean, that'll be that if it is Louisville and Auburn, Louisville could sell it out and Auburn would still have a good chance of winning because they're that good. But if we're building up to Louisville, like if we're doing the press conference on Friday in between games to get set for Saturday and it's Louisville going up against Auburn, Bruce Pearl, I think will rightfully bitch and moan about having to play Louisville as an eight seed in Ropperena because it is insane. I mean, if you think about I've been much more focused on Louisville just being an eight seed and getting shafted in that regard. But you could make the case that the bigger great could be from Auburn just because quite literally, this will be a road game for them if that's who ends up there, it being Louisville. Now again, maybe it's not because again Crayton's good team Wolves is gonna have to get past them first. But I mean, by the way, Rick Beteen, I don't know if you guys saw this or not. He was talking about he was asked about the.
Speaker 2: Where.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're playing in Providence, Rhode Island, which is not far from New York, right, So that's you know, Rix teams not having to go too far from New York City. And he was asked about that given his team like an advantage, and he did he I'll let you guys here for yourself. But he essentially said it won't be that much of an advantage. But however, basically saying he feels for he feels for for Doug McDermott and Creighton, Well, Cad, you.
Speaker 2: Guys go to Providence. They're one of the few fan bases in the dagest that do.
Speaker 1: You applause when you get into us. Just the fact that it's closet enough for New York Saint John's fans at top of the plus the local Rhode.
Speaker 4: Island fans probably going rooting Bree and Runey for Saint John's.
Speaker 2: How big a plus is that you?
Speaker 5: I think in the NCAA tournament it's not much of a factor. I think, now, a Louisville in Lexington, because I've done that as a Loville coach, going to Lexington where we had twelve thousand people, that's a big factor.
Speaker 3: But this is not as big attact then, So he's right. I remember when Louisville went to Lexington the first game. It was a sixteen seed and it was I mean it was North Carolina A and T and there were clear Louisville fans there and it was a Thursday, but it was in the evening, so it's easier to go like it's such an if this game was at night, totally different situation, Like I don't want to complain about Actually I have complained, but I don't want to act as if there's no benefit in having Lexington as the host city because because true, there is but am I the only one that's like, yeah, but it knew it on Thursday. It's not as big of a benefit as people are making it out to be. I mean, maybe I'm underestimating the amount of people that will go, because again, they'll do whatever they can to get there because it's the tournament, it's winter go home and you love this team. And I hope that's the case.
Speaker 4: I just you know, college kids still aren't on spring break, are they. I have no clue, okay, because I wonder if that I'm sure that will make a big difference to you.
Speaker 3: And look, I don't think you're gonna see It's like, for example, whenever louisll played in Des Moines, I can tell you what happened. Louisville was a seventh seed, Minnesota was a ten and there's not a whole lot to do in Des Moines, Iowa. And and it was actually a pretty nice city. What are those places I'll pa never go back to a rare trip to where you know, there had to be a reason to go there, And it was because the NAA Tournament was there and that's where Louisville played, So I had no expectation. It was really just you know, probably and I knew going in there's probably the only time I'll ever be here. So it exceeded expectations because they were low. But like that city gets to host because they they do love basketball to where there were a lot of people and it's a thing to where in Des Moines if they're hosting, the people go. If you're not a fan of either team and you just know that there's games going on, they will sell tickets to people who aren't traveling, and that's what the NUBABA cares about. They want to sell tickets. So what happened is that Louisville despite being the you know, a slight favorite. I mean we're talking seven to ten, not two and fifteen, but Minnesota started making shots. They brought some fans as well because it wasn't quite as far for them, and Louisville didn't bring hardly any fans because again, you know, it was it was far away, really far away, and that team didn't quite didn't quite you know. I mean Louisville had support back then, trust me, but it was just different. So anyways, there were more Minnesota fans there than Louisville, and then those that showed up that didn't really have any rooting interest. I think it's human nature. You find yourself pulling for the underdog, and Minnesota was the underdog. It wasn't David versu Goliath, but you ended up not in like a road environment, but you ended up in a You ended up in a situation where there were clearly more cheers for the other team than you, And you know, to say that had a factor in the game, I don't know. I think what happened is Louisville was offensively challenged that year at times and played guys a lot of minutes, and Minnesota, who'd been a really you know, suspect team, offensively with no good shooters, they got hot and Richard Patino ended, I mean, he's the last guy that sent you home, and that is I've heard other people mention it, but I feel like it would be a bigger talking point than it's been that the last time Louisville played in the tournament, they also played in the very first game, and that's just like I think, even I could be wrong, but I kind of feel like, even if it's not in a like, even if you feel good about your seed, like even if you're in like the five to twelve game or or the six to eleven game. I mean, I just think the first game of the tournament. Nobody wants that, right.
Speaker 2: That's always an uneasy feeling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe if you are a underdog, like if you're a big underdog, maybe you hope that you can come out more loose because you've got nothing to lose. And maybe you'll hope that the favorite, the better team than you, is tight and you could take advantage of it. But yeah, playing the first game would just would just suck all the way around. And I mean there's nothing you can do about it, so you know, it is what it is. And again, I believe that this I believe that this team is has all throughout the entire season. And it's not even just about like their wins and losses. It's just they've never got too high or too low to where I've I believe Pat Kelsey's the kind of guy that will be able to have these guys taking the floor on Thursday with no emotion about their seed and feeling like they were wronged. I think they're going to be focused and they're gonna be ready to play. They're gonna be ready for Craigon. And don't mean they're gonna win, because Craion's gonna be a tough out. But I just hope that there's a there's a good amount of fans there, and there will be. I mean again, it's not like it's gonna be a no show. I just I've had a hard time not letting it out there until now as I'm doing it on the show. I just I think some are expecting it to be, you know, fifteen thousand Louisville fans there tomorrow, and I just don't or a Thursday, I should say, And I just I don't think that's gonna be the case. But again, I could be wrong. I could be wrong. All Right, we'll let you hear some more sound coming up here a little bit later on, because I talked about it earlier, this this ACC Network feature. I guess we'll call it that about Pat Kelsey and how he got this whole thing started. In fact, i'll play it for you guys coming up when we get back from our next break, because it's about two minutes long, and it's just a it's just a really good behind the scenes, you know story. I guess about how it all came together about how when when these guys first met, you know, there was a process as far as what they did to get to know each other, open up with one another. And and it's gonna sound corny, but this is this is what they had to love each other and they certainly it seems as if they have developed a real strong connection because I can't tell these guys that never played together until this year when I watched them play. All right, real quick, before we get to our break, want to shout out to the text line five h two four three eight ninety seventy three is the number if you guys want to text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line. This text mentions the the ACC is five and four over the Big East this year, So take I don't even know which games those were, to be honest with you, but for all to talk about Louisville's league being such an issue for them, and again, the a SEC did stink this year, I can't act like it didn't. At least you know, you have a winning record against this conference and Creighton's in the same situation, right they finished second in their league. But you don't know is that because they're pretty good, and I think they are pretty good or is it more so just because you know the league was what it was, So I think that's a weird way where these two teams are kind of compared well as far as how they enter the tournament. They both finished second in two leagues that used to be known for dominating the sport of college basketball. These two runner ups in their league are in the eight to nine game wild. Speaking of Wild, there's a stat about the SEC when it comes to hoops. I'll get to that right here on the other side because it'll really put in perspective what this league has turned into in regards to basketball. Stick around, it's coffee and Company. We hear fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see how good the ACC. I'm sorry, the SEC is in the NCAA tournament. Right in college basketball, we all know that if it doesn't play out for you in mar than really everything you did before then doesn't matter. I Mean, it sounds crazy and unfair and stupid, but it is what kind of makes college basketball special. Every sport, the postseason means more because that's when you know, you find out if you could make a run and maybe win the whole thing, win a championship, super Bowl, you know, all that kind of stuff. But because they put sixty eight teams in, you can have a phenomenal season. But if you fall short, it usually means if you had that great season, that you fell short early to a team that wasn't supposed to be nearly as good as you. And that can really put a sour taste in your mouth for what that whole season was. And I don't want to sound dramatic, but it can kind of ruin it. I mean, that sounds like silly, and you know it would be foolish, just like to tell a great team who got upset in the tournament that everything that they did didn't matter at all. But college basketball sickos kind of you it that way. It's not personal, it's just college basketball is all about the big dance. You work so hard in the regular season, by the way, is important, because well I thought it was. Sometimes we don't really seem to get any value from what you do in the regular season when it comes to the selection committee or you don't really get punished for what you do in the regular season, like North Carolina. So anyways, I'm sorry if that's like the third time I've just kind of stopped midpoint to just bitch again. And I'll try to stop because it gets you know, we're over that, we're past that, we're on to Creighton. But anyways, the SEC, even if they do flame out on the tournament, which would be hard to do because they have fourteen teams in right, I mean, just by you know, the pure number of teams they have here, the chance of them having like a bunch of really early exits just seems unlikely. But anyways, even if they fall short, and let's just say, because I don't think this is a crazy prediction, to be honest with you, like I I mean, maybe this is me just being like a you know, an insecure hater, Like maybe I don't even realize I'm being a hater when I say this, but like, it wouldn't shock me if you get to the Final four and there's only one SEC team, or if you get to the Elite eight there's only two SEC teams, just because you know they're beaten up. And even though the league is great the best league in college basketball deservedly, so doesn't mean you can't lose to it. Like for example, like let me try to find like Missouri, Missouri's gonna play Drake Drake's thirty and three. They could easily lose that game. They're good, Missouri got a six seed because of what they did in a great league. But you know they're vulnerable. So this is not in any way like a knock on the SEC as if they weren't, they weren't worthy of getting the amount of teams they got in. I mean, you could have the conversation and I may not disagree with you if you're somebody that does think that maybe they got a little too much love. But nonetheless they proved it in the non conference portion of the schedule, which that's when that matters, because then when you beat up on each other in league play, you get that benefit of the doubt, right. I mean, again, we've talked about some of the examples. Look how bad Oklahoma was. They got a non seed in the tournament. They were awful, and SEC played they beat any good SEC team.
Speaker 4: I don't think they did, No, they just came particularly close to Kentucky, tol yeah, so there's that.
Speaker 3: But then you know what they did in the non conference They won the Maui Invitational and not that invitation of the Battle for Atlantis. They beat Louisville, who was the second best team in the ACC, and they also beat Michigan, who is the second best team in the Big Ten, who won the Big Ten tournament. So you know, like that's a great to me, that's like the best example. And then again the whole like that doesn't necessarily prove that Oklahoma would be the second best team in the ACC or the Big Ten, but like when you have those opportunities to kind of see where you stand against other conferences, that that's where you really again you earn the benefit of the doubt. So I mean, I'm not predicting any major upset just yet from the SEC, but you know, if they end up having a really really unsuccessful trip to the tournament, like throughout this tournament, a lot of people will say, well, it was overrated, the committee got it wrong, they gave too much love, and we'll never know that's the reality, but we'll never or no, was it that they were overrated or was it that they were just as good as we thought? But man, they ran out of gas. They had to play each other each night for two and a half months, and man, that just takes a lot out of you. So regardless, we'll never know, and I have no problem in admitting, regardless of what happens in the tournament, I believe the SEC is insanely loaded in basketball and I don't see that changing anytime soon. And what's happened here is that we've seen I believe, the biggest transformation from a power conference in any sport, with the SEC being what it is today compared to what it was ten years ago. So I forgot about this, and I'm glad some Louisville fans have kind of, you know, reminded me of this, because obviously that's all Kentucky fans have talked about all years, the ACC stinking I mean, Kentucky Louisville attendance and ACC's you know, value. That's really been the biggest focus of Kentucky fans this season, despite Mark Pope having a really good debut year, right, I mean, they've just been a test. They want us to know that the ACC isn't a great league, and we appreciate you guys letting us know that, so you know the SEC what it was ten years ago will blow your mind. And Kentucky used to Kentucky used to dominate that league, and because you know why they were good. I mean when cow was rolling in the early years. It wasn't just because they played. But if I remember the conversations, thinking like if they got passed Louisville in that December game, if they get passed Florida in early January, right then they're gonna probably run the table because they don't play anybody that's any good. Yeah, didn't mean they weren't good, but like, that's just what the league was.
Speaker 4: As a as an habitual Kentucky hate watcher, it was always rough watching that, especially during those years because I mean, obviously it was when they were the most chesty butt. Oh, we had every reason to be, but they were going up against a weak ass SEC. And our point was always when they were hate watching us and we would lose.
Speaker 2: The roles were completely flit. We used to dominant.
Speaker 3: We used to be able to say it must be nice to have Georgia coming into rupt, must be nice for Vandy and Kevin Stallings bomb ass.
Speaker 2: Tuesday. Yeah, so easy, dub.
Speaker 3: It really completely flipped because Louisville in the Big East and in the early days of the ACC it was a it was a monster. And the SEC, I mean, I don't even know if some of these fans out there knew they had a basketball team. I mean, by the way, here's how it trend here's how it changed. They got a ton of money from the SEC network launching, and they had more in they had inventory they had to fill, so they needed basketball to be better it had They had to invest in it because there's gonna be a ton of games on the SEC network and if nobody cares about basketball and nobody's watching, it's not a good It's not a good arrangement for ESPN, who just paid you a bunch of money for your network rights. So they they have one of these spring meetings and they told these athletic directors, hey, you have got to invest in basketball. You have to go out and you know, make this a priority to be better. And man, they use that money wisely because you've got some of the best coaches in the country in the SEC. And again they're the best conference in the sport right now and I'm not sure it's particularly close, but listen to this. Kentucky this year three see the tournament. Their record twenty two and eleven overall, ten and eight twenty thirteen, Kentucky's record twenty one and eleven overall, twelve and six in the SEC, and they missed the tournament. I mean that should tell you what the league used to be. Because Kentucky went twelve and six in their conference and didn't make the tournament. They weren't even actually on the bubble. I don't think that was the year Nolands Noel got hurt, but they still went twelve and six. I mean, it's crazy. And what used to really stand out Austin about those years of Kentucky in the SEC, when like they clearly didn't care about basketball and they weren't good, was that because it was kind of like, I mean, the teams that weren't good would actually at times play their best against Kentucky because is wh is we don't like to tell them this. Kentucky is a big draw. I mean, Louisville is too to an extent, but like when Kentucky's in town on the SEC for basketball, it is a bigger draw. They just mean they're they're one of the premiere programs in the history of the sport. It's like that, that's true, and that's why some teams would play better because man, they've got a bigger crowd on their home floor, because here we go. There'd even be games where you could tell teams were playing well because they were rough, and they'd be on the road and be playing out of their mind because they're locked in. They realize this is a big opportunity here, we're playing Kentucky, probably gonna be on national television, and man, like clockwork, those teams would clockwork, sorry, gotch. These teams would be in position to pull off the unthinkable, and man they would. They would impressively find ways to crap their pants. And how many times did you remember?
Speaker 2: Do you remember?
Speaker 3: Because I hate watching Kentucky as well, but they like the teams with cousins, the team, the team that they had even with like in fifteen, some teams that weren't good would challenge them, especially on the road, and you would think, they're down six with fifty ffty seconds left, this is gonna happen. Nope, crap into the pants like they just get too tight. And it was because not only was Kentucky the best team in that league, and it wasn't close. They were like the NBA team within their own conference, to where everybody in that league was wide eyed and just couldn't believe we got Caliperi And now, I mean Kentucky still does well of course in the league, but there's big name coaches like you know that. That's what really really stood out in the final years of Calipari and Lexington is that he used to run that league. He used to quite literally have a hold of that league like nobody else did elsewhere, No coach really had the presence and just the arrogance, justifiably so, because who was he competing against, right like Billy Donovan had left, I mean who else, Like who were the good coaches in the early days of the SEC. I can't I'm sorry, the early days of calip Parry, Like, I don't know who it was. Now. I mean, you've got guys who you know, this ain't their first rodeo. You got Bruce Pearl, got Rick Barnes, You've got I mean this coaches that aren't big names like you know for decades now, but like Todd Golden's a hell of a coach. Florida. He's gonna he's gonna be really successful there. I mean, Buzz Williams has shown no matter where he goes he can be he can be successful. I feel like I'm blanking on some other big names too. You remember Calip Perry still there, He's at Arkansas now, you know?
Speaker 4: Do you remember the was it in ESPN? It wasn't at thirty for thirty? Was it where they had uh? Where they did it on Kentucky and Cali PERI though at the one and done one? I think of one and not done. I can't I can't remember what it was, but like I think the closing clip was him saying, We're gonna come to your city, Oh yeah, and we're gonna beat you.
Speaker 3: We're gonna come to your town. We're gonna beat your team.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And ever since that, Nick, it feels like it hasn't felt the same.
Speaker 2: Oh I was like twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: I think like nobody's gonna be shocked about Cali Perry and his arrogance because that's really kind of always been part of you know him, And to be fair, he has had a run within the sport and he's really overall been good enough to where he's justifiably arrogant, but he's clearly lost his fastball seemingly. I mean, they Arkansas made the tournament, but I mean it wasn't like they had a good year. And you know, I'll still be shocked if Cal ever does big things and at Arkansas. But anyways, I mean, he he would say things that I think would surprise people to hear them now, Like at the time it was just Cal doing cal things because he was on top of the world. But like, I mean, he would it wouldn't just like something you would hear that he said, meaning like it was something you know, word of mouth, Like he would say things like we'll take any player we want, and like again he kind of did, right, But also you don't hear people say that. I mean, that's just that's just crazy. But again he was on top and clearly those teams were great. But also another factor in those teams where that they didn't really have any Like I don't really remember when the when the SEC got really good. It certainly happened in the last few years, maybe even a little bit further than that, but I mean in twenty fifteen, that was when Kentucky that was the last time they were like elite good. Right, of course that team was really, really, really good. But twenty fifteen sec Like, I want, is this gonna show? Who makes I've got it pulled up here on Sports Reference. I'm not even sure if it's gonna show.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So in two thousand and sixteen, only three teams made the tournament. I mean, think about that now again, that wasn't that was? That was nine years ago? You had Kentucky thirteen and five. They were the regular season champ in the conference champ because the tiebreaker. Texas A and M had a good year? Was that? I think that was year Kennedy was still there? Is that his name? Kennedy? I remember who was it that coached them that year? Yeah, Billy Kennedy. And then you had Vandy make the tournament somehow. I don't know how they made it, but they did. They finished nineteen and fourteen. Is that like a I don't know. I mean, was that Kevin Stallings? I guess it was.
Speaker 2: I guess it was. Yeah, they were.
Speaker 3: They were nineteen and fourteen, eleven and seven, and somehow they made the tournament. I don't know how that would have happened, but that you know, that was twenty that was fifteen sixteen. Let's go back to the previous year. And again, this is not to like, this is not at all to say, well, what Kentucky did during these these years doesn't mean anything. I'm just pointing out it's insane how this league not only did it used to not be valued as a basketball league, used to suck, and now it's put together. I believe, as far as the regular season, the best regular season we've ever seen, as far as I mean, they had fourteen teams and they broke a record. All right, So in twenty fifteen, Kentucky was, of course elite. Arkansas made the tournament, and LSU made the tournament, Georgia made the tournament, and Miss and Old Miss made the tournament. But it doesn't look like any of those teams won a game. So in the round of thirty two, it was just Kentucky. So I'm trying to start, I'm trying to track when it actually got rolled in a little bit. So in sixteen seventeen, that was that was the year that Florida was really good. Arkansas was good again, but not like elite. Kentucky of course was the best. They went sixteen and two, uh, South Carolina. That's the year they randomly got in and made a Final four, which is crazy. And then so I wouldn't even have I wouldn't have be I would not have even say that was when it really started rolling.
Speaker 2: But here we go.
Speaker 3: In twenty eighteen is when it really there was a real breakthrough because Bruce Pearl had his first really good year at Auburn and they ended up did they make it only did they go to I'm not sure how far they went. Was that is eighteen the year that they lost in the final fourd to Virginia.
Speaker 2: I think it was.
Speaker 3: Auburn because Bruce Purs only made one Final four and I'm pretty sure it was that Auburn team, but I could be wrong. Maybe it was nineteen. But again that, yes, in eighteen is when it broke through because you had you had Auburn and Bruce Pearl Tennessee with Rick Barnes Florida. I guess Billy was still there. No, I'm sorry, Mike White was still Mike White was the guy at that time. That was That was early on, and then of course Kentucky Arkansas with it with Anderson. Yeah, I mean they had they had let's see, they had eight teams in the tournament in twenty eighteen, so I'm gonna say that was the year that it like really broke through. And then the next year they ended up having seven. So yeah, about seven years ago is whenever it really made a jump as a league. Yeah, and to see where it is now, I mean, it's it's it's crazy, dude.
Speaker 4: Before that was an absolute cesspool. I mean, I'm looking back and at Johnny Jones with lsu D White at Florida. I completely forgot about Andy Kennedy and Mark Marshall Henderson. Oh dude, Andy and Frank. I forgot about Frank Martin coach in South Carolina.
Speaker 3: So the year that Kentucky ended up missing the tournament and going to the NIIT in twenty thirteen, and that's really what got this conversation started, because again, this is just a crazy thing to see, and I want to give credit. It was one of the writers for KSR. Daniel Hager who put it out there that in twenty thirteen. But those just not joining us. Why we're talking about in twenty thirteen, Kentucky went twenty three, I'm sorry, twenty one and eleven twelve and six in their league, they weren't even on the bubble, and then in twenty fifteen. This year they went twenty two and eleven, ten and eight in league play, and they're a three seed the NAA Tournament. I just feel like that stat specifically is one that really just kind of put some perspective the leaps that this league has made in that amount of time. And it's not like we're talking just a couple of years. I mean, it's crazy to think about it, but that was twelve.
Speaker 2: Years ago, Ben Howland.
Speaker 3: Mississippi forgot about him because they had some other Like I thought Frank Martin would do well there, and he did make that fluky random final four, but that overall tenure was not successful. You know, Missouri hired a couple of different coaches Conzo Martin that didn't work out. You know who else I feel like that was. There were coaches.
Speaker 2: Highed Avery Johnson at Alabama, oh Man, and.
Speaker 3: These were guys that not only you know, like they were supposed to be good and they weren't. And now you've got I mean, and by the way, that is the biggest that is the biggest factor in this rise is because they've been able to hire really really good coaches, and they've now. I mean, if you'd have told me ten years ago, maybe not even that long ago, that the SEC for basketball would be able to keep their elite coaches despite nearly every every school in that conference prioritizes football way more right, you'll always be second fiddles.
Speaker 2: What we always used to joke about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, outside of Kentucky, and I believe Tennessee clearly they're always going to be fooball school. But they will support basketball when it's really good. Florida won back to back national championships, couldn't sell it out, so you know, Auburn has a good support, but like they don't have a huge arena. Like it's just different. And even if they love their basketball team, most of them would tell you, yeah, football is not even it's not even close. Football comes first. So I would have just assumed that was always going to be a factor to where coaches wouldn't really want that. They would want to be top dog. They would want to know that the program that their leading is going to get the most resources, it's going to be valued the most, and it's gonna and it's gonna mean the most, but now, man, you're getting paid enough money in the SEC you don't care. And the league has made such an improvement that despite football still being what it's known for with most of these schools and really the league overall, it's still getting when it comes to college basketball pub the SEC clearly gets a lot of love. They got fourteen teams in, so it is wild to see the jump that it's made. And I don't I'm sure others aren't as interested in this as I am, but now that I'm kind of going down the rabbit hole. And you go back to that year Kentucky missed the tournament, Ole miss made it with Marshall Henderson, Florida made it and they were really good, and that's who Louisville beating the elite eight. I think it was yeah, that I know that was the year. That was the year before, it was a year before, Yeah, and then Missouri made it somehow. But you go back to the year that Kentucky won the national championship at twenty twelve, I mean, you had Florida get in, Vandy got in, and I guess Bama got in. So and again it's one thing to like mean, getting teams in means a lot for your league, but they have I mean a lot of the for the most part, outside of Kentucky in the occasional Florida. When we're talking about this previous world of SEC hoops, anybody else that got in outside of those two teams was just barely and lucky to be in. Now you've got I mean, look at the I mean, the current bracket has two to one seeds from the SEC. And let's see, is it two or yeah? Two one seeds from the SEC and how many two seeds is it? Yeah, so they've got four of the top yet, so basically four of the top eight are or SEC when it comes to the seed Lions, and that's not a real surprise. And then you look at the three line, I mean, and you've got you've got a Kentucky team that I mean, I don't mean. I just I'm trying to sound like a hater when it comes to Kentucky, but I just I think with their injury situation, I just it's hard for me to they're deserving of the seed they got. I can't really dispute it because the wins they have they do matter, but they're not like their ceiling is not nearly what it was then because they don't have Jackson Robinson and Lama. Butler sounds like he's gonna play, but I think he's been given the green light to play for like the last six weeks or a month, and anytime he does play, he gets hurt again and then doesn't come back. So I mean, hopefully it doesn't happen again, but I just you know, who knows anytime Pope's been in a position where you feel like they've run out of gas. And it was a great first year, but the injuries got them, and you know they're just playing too good a teams. They always surprise you, so maybe they do that this year. But man, the sec is is. I mean, it's crazy to see what that league has become. All right, quick break, I mentioned that sound. I wanted you guys do hear. I'm gonna save it for our five o'clock crowd because we won't have a whole lot of time to get to it, and I feel like it's better to play it than the five anyway, because that's that's the I mean, that's the the ian. Every hour is valuable on the show. We give every every bit of energy and effort into every second, regardless if it's three, four o'clock, five o'clock, whatever, But five o'clock's when most people are listening, because that's when people are ending their day. So we'll save it for that and keep it rolling along right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine days.
Speaker 3: So the Iowa coaching search in the Indiana coaching search heating up now. I haven't checked to see if there's any kind of an update in regards to this whole thing, because I haven't really paid much attention since the show started. But we got you got two guys that apparently are top candidates, it seems, for both Indiana and Iowa, and they both happen to be Iowa Iowa natives. You've got Darien DeVries, that the head coach of West Virginia who has apparently emerged as the top candidate in Indiana. That is That's and again, you don't know what to expect when it comes to or you don't know what to believe as far as what's out there when it comes to coaching searches. I think we learned that last year, but he's at West Virginia. Was it Drake for a long time. One year at WVU and did a pretty good job. Obviously lost his best player's son early in the year, and they still I think did enough to get in the tournament, only they were left out. And he's been successful at both. I mean, it's not a long time track of success at a West Virginia, but certainly a guy that probably should have got an opportunity out of Drake than he did. But apparently Indiana is really close to maybe making him the guy, which would be tough for West Virginia because only one year, and I mean, you get screwed by the committee and then your coach leaves after one year. That would be a really, really tough tough thing for West Virginia. But you know, couldn't have it to a better group of fans, right Their fan base just all collass just great, great, great human beings. And then obviously the other name is Ben McCollum, who we've talked about quite a bit here because he finally got his opportunity at a D one school and it was at Drake where Devrees left because he ended up going to West Virginia and then in his first season been McCallum was phenomenal at Drake. And I mean again, I'm trying to to to to check and see who I wonder who would be the most likely to have the latest on this. I would say, I'll do this. When it comes to Jeff Goodman, I'll at least give him the McIntyre, not him get I'll I'll give up. I'll give Goodman the benefit of doubt because he probably wouldn't float something out there if he didn't know if it was for sure the truth or not. So when it comes to the latest that I saw is that that Indiana is close to making it devrees and therefore another Iowa, and it have been McCullum could be going right back to Iowa, which I guess Drake, you know Drakes and Omaha, not no Drakes and des Moines, not in in Iowa. Anyways, McCollum is from Iowa. And as soon as McCaffrey was fired or looked like he was maybe going to be fired or they were going to try to force him out, there was already talk that McCollum, who would be I think worthy of the Indiana job or the Virginia job that they may not be able to get him because if Iowa opens up, he would want to go there. I don't know if that's true or not. But if Divres ends up at Indiana and and and I'm not saying Divres, you know, should be a candidate at Virginia or the other ACC jobs that were open, but man, McCullum not going to Indiana or Virginia and ending up at Iowa, it kind of feels like that would be a big time win for Iowa because I know the conference affiliation stuff matters now, but you wouldn't typically think Iowa would not. You wouldn't think that Iowa would be able to land. And again, if if Indiana is choosing Devrees over McCollum, then that's their choice. But I don't know. I just think both those guys are good coaches, especially McCollum, and I thought him being in the ACC would be a really good start to get this thing turned around. But sounds like it'll be Indiana or it'll be it'll be Iowa. After just one year at Drake and the whole, the whole of Brad Brown Well to IU thing. I mean, he was reportedly a candidate. There was interest on both sides, but I just I mean, he's he's done well in the last couple of years, but like he's also had way more years where he wasn't very good. Like him, even him still being at Virginia, I think is I'm not Virginia at Clemson is is kind of a surprise, because you know, he was at he got hired in twenty eleven and he made the tournament that year. He didn't make another tournament until twenty eighteen, and then he didn't make another tournament until twenty twenty one, and then last year he made the tournament for the first time in four years, and he broke through and made the Elite eight. But you got to remember he lost to Kenny Payne with a team that went fourteen and six in the ACC twenty three and eleven and missed the tournament, and then lost to Morehead State in the first round of the Niit so like there's way when the ACC two things, when the ACC was a lot better, even like a little bit better, not even when it was in his prime, but when the ACC was better. I mean, Brad brown Well was lucky to have a job, and then the league got you know, the league got worse substantially, and he has then kind of broke through. Like there's way more of him being a very average coach at best at Clemson than there is him being great. And know, by the way, when he was considered to be good the last two years he has gone twenty nine and eleven in the league. But let's be real, the league is not now what it used to be. So anybody wanting Brad brown Well, like, you could do worse. But Indiana if they would have made that move, who knows, maybe I'd be wrong and it would have worked out great, but it also would have been like, Okay, now I know why Indiana is never going to be what they once were because no matter what, despite having all the money and all the resources and a huge fan base and all the history and tradition, they just can't seem to hire coaches because I just don't think Brad brown Well would have done well there. But it sounds like he's not. I megan when I watched Brad burnamall coach last week in the ACC Tournament. I mean, again, he's been better than you know, Louisville last couple of years as far as his team overall, but Louisville, I mean, I don't know. Pat Kelsey sweeping him this year I think says more of a Pat than anything else. But also, like I don't know, if you're Indiana, you could not have been enthused by that higher if that was going to be what it is. And I haven't heard anything recently on the will Waite stuff, but I hope he ends up at NC State because that'll be a good coach added the league. And that's how you get a turned around. All right. We got to run one more hour to go, stick around, a lot more to get into and I mean it a lot before we wrap it up, So keep it lock right here on Sports Talk seven ninety