Speaker 1: We are live in Dallas at the Winter Meetings, the final night of this year's Winter Meetings and our very first Hot Stove Live Dodger Talk on AM five to seventy LA Sports, your home for the world champion Dodgers, and boy does that sound good. We'll be saying that all season long, and the Dodgers are looking to make it a back to back World Series championship. We have phone lines open. This is the first time we've had a chance to talk since Game five of the World Series, since the parade at Dodgers Stadium, and this kicks off our hot Stove coverage. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number you will hear from manager Dave Roberts and President of Baseball Operations Andrew Friedman, as well as general manager Brandon Gomes. In case you missed our podcast shows from the first two nights of the Winter Meeting, you can find that on the iHeartRadio app. So very excited to be back here. We'll have another show for you tomorrow night at seven o'clock. I'll be back in Los Angeles and we'll be joined by one of the world champion Dodgers. So looking forward to that as well. I know all of you want to know about Taoscar Hernandez. As of right now, there is no deal. And going back to last week, the Dodgers and Taoscar Hernandez were getting closer to finding some common ground. Obviously they have not been able to find that common ground since then, but the Dodgers are hopeful to try to find a deal with ta Oscar Hernandez. And I know a lot of you thought that there was going to be this crazy bidding war for Tioscar Hernandez after Juan Soto signed, and maybe even Taoscar Hernandez and his representative felt that way as well. The reality is number one, Oskar Hernandez and the Dodgers are better together than they are apart. Tioscar Hernandez was one of the best hitters in the National League last year because he was hitting in that Dodger lineup thirty three home runs, ninety nine RBIs. He just fits so perfectly, and he fits so perfectly on the team. He's a great chemistry guy. So it's one thing to have a chemistry guy that's hitting two twenty. It's another to have a chemistry guy that hits thirty three home runs and ninety nine RBIs. But going back to just the dynamics of this free agency, that bidding war, that feeding frenzy did not materialize for Tioscar Hernandez, or at least it hasn't yet it did for Max Freed. That's where as I reported, the Yankees were going to turn to if they lost Juan Soto to starting pitching, and they're not done. The Boston Red Sox are trying to sign Alex Bregman, and it seems like Bregman, just like Max Freed, has a bidding war going on between the Yankees, the Astros, and the Red Sox. When that happens, the price goes up. As we saw with Max Freed, that just hasn't happened for Tioscar Hernandez. And maybe part of the reason why is because he has a qualifying offer attached to him. Meaning one of these teams, like the Red Sox we're hearing, if they were to sign Tioscar Hernandez, they would forfeit a top draft pick in this year's upcoming amateur draft. And look that draft pick in baseball, it may or may not amount to anything, but in this day and age, a lot of GMS value those draft picks, so I just don't see the Red Sox going overboard to outspend the Dodgers or any other team to and also forfeit a draft pick. Now, I just get a feeling the wild hard team and all this is tai Oscar's former team, the Toronto Blue Jays. I feel like if there was one team that was gonna come in and maybe go overboard with with signing ta Oscar, it would be the Blue Jays. But I just don't see how that would fit for them. So I'm a true believer that the Dodgers will sign Tioscar Hernandez. I think eventually they will find common ground, and hopefully it's by the end of this week because they've kind of been in a holding pattern for a week to ten days, So hopefully that happens. But I'm a big believer they will make it happen. And all of a sudden, now you have a great outfield of Tioscar Hernandez, Michael Confordo, and a combination of Pajez and Tommy Edmand in center field. Now, also there's been talk about Tanner Scott, who was great for the Padres after being traded from the Marlins to San Diego at the trade deadline. Yeah, it seems like the Dodgers have some interest, but to a certain point, They're not going to give him a Josh Hayter type of deal the Astros gave Hater last year, probably a shorter term deal if they were to sign Tanner Scott. But yeah, the Dodgers have interest in Tanner Scott, but the priority right now is to re sign taoscar Hernandez. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have two lines open right now. Our first hot stove Dodger talk since winning the World Series, since your Los Angeles Dodgers are the World champions, and uh, just before we get to the phone calls here, I wanted to update you on a couple of former Dodgers, Cody Bellinger and Jock Peterson. Jack Peterson may have been on the table for the Dodgers if they did not sign Michael Conforto. They decided to go with Confordo and Jock Peterson, who is a free agent after having a great year with the Arizona Diamondbacks, has interest from a lot of teams, including the Texas Rangers. And I know you've heard trade rumors about Cody Bellinger, the Cubs looking to trade Cody Bellinger to the Yankees. That is very real. But my understanding is the Rangers have also engaged the Cubs on trade talks for Cody Bellinger as well. So could you imagine that the Rangers signed Jock Peterson, they trade for Cody Bellinger, and they have Jock Peterson, Corey Seeger, and Cody Bellinger in the same lineup. I mean, that's very Dodgerish right there. And three really good players and guys that were drafted by the Dodgers, developed by the Dodgers, and had great careers with the Dodgers. Possibly could all be in the same lineup for the Rangers. And speaking of the Rangers, they had interest in Max Freed, but they still have something unsettled with their sports cable regional network, so the Max Freed could not wait around for the Rangers. But my understanding is the Rangers now have turned their attention to Walker Buehler. Walker Buehler's getting a lot of interest from every Al East team, with the exception of the Rays. He's getting interest from the Cubs, and he also is getting a lot of interest from the Texas Rangers. So there you have it. You're all caught up on everything the buzz here from the lobby at the winter meetings, and the Dodgers so far, in my opinion, have put themselves in a great spot. They signed Blake Snell early in the free agency, they don't get into a bidding war. They re signed Blake Trinan, and they add Michael Conforto. I think it's been great, and not to mention, they've they picked up the options on Austin Barnes and Miguel Rojas and look, Key K a Hernandez certainly on the table, but that's not something that is at the top of the list right now. But certainly KEYK a Hernandez should be brought back. I mean you brought back Miguel Rojas, you should bring back Key hurt Nandez as well. We're gonna hear from Dave Roberts coming up in at the bottom of the hour, and you'll hear from Andrew Friedman in our next segment. But I want to take some phone calls. I've missed you guys, So let's do this. Let's start in Huntington Beach, Mark, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Mark?
Speaker 2: Hey, it's really great to know that we're the world champions. That sounds so good every time it.
Speaker 1: Gains great, Oh so great World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: I had a couple of questions.
Speaker 4: One, uh, what's our current roster?
Speaker 2: I mean, are we gonna get just for simplicity, are we gonna get everyone back that we had with that World Series team. I haven't been able to keep Tams on, who might go somewhere else? And then the other thing is the second question is who do you think we can get as a big bat? Your opinion that would just you know, fill it up and that would be it basically barring injuries during the regular season.
Speaker 1: Well, I think they got their big bat in Michael Conforido, and they already have three big bats in Otani and Mookie and Freddie Freeman. Now all they have to do is re sign ta Oscar Hernandez, and you know, pretty much their position player roster is pretty set as far as bringing back the same guys and Mark, it's basically everybody, with the exception of Jack Flaherty and probably Walker Bueller. I think those guys are are gonna find different teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I kind of let Jack flaherty, but then I don't know what goes on.
Speaker 5: In the clubhouse like you do. So but it was great.
Speaker 1: But I certainly, I mean, he's looking for a big contract and he was solid. He was solid, no doubt about it. And he's gonna get interest after Corbyn Burns signs, and uh, I think teams are gonna look to him. Thanks for the phone call, Mark, We got a full board of calls. Actually, we have two lines open right now at eight six six nine eighty seven, two five seventy. I want to get to all of you. Let's go out to Gilberto and San Diego. You're on Roger Talk Live from Dallas. How go hi, Gilberto?
Speaker 6: All of the bit comments pass.
Speaker 1: Oh total Bianna. I'm trying to get some text mex out here, Gilberto.
Speaker 6: Oh no, you gotta come to you gotta come back with Mexican food is better.
Speaker 1: Than here, no doubt.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 6: Listen, first of all, congratulations on an amazing year last year. I mean, I leave the whole story through you and through uh the play by play guys and Big Monday. I mean, it was a wonderful year. I have one question only for you.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 6: What about Dalton Rushing? You as you wanted him to come up in the playoffs to to get some experience. Do you think he's gonna be ready or is he gonna have an opportunity in spring training to earn a spot in the major league rosters.
Speaker 1: Well, Gilberto, the Dodgers need to win now. They're not like other teams where they have the luxury just to hand a job over to a young player, a promising player. Dalton Rushing is going to have an opportunity to leave an impression with the Dodgers during spring training and from there he will start the year more than likely in the minor leagues, but will probably be one of the first guys to be called up if there's an injury to one of their corner outfielders or you know, if there's an injury to Will Smith or Austin Barnes. So there's a very good chance he gets his opportunity this year, but it's not going to be right away unless there's an injury. But yeah, he's getting closer, Gilberto.
Speaker 6: I'm glad because eventually we're going to need new blas for the team, especially for twenty six, so a good experience in twenty five will do him very good. But thank you, David, and I'm going to be listening to all of your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Gilberto, Merry Christmas. Thanks a lot. Let's go out to Marina del Ray.
Speaker 7: Arthur.
Speaker 1: You're on Dodger Talk with David Vasse live from the Winter meetings. How you doing, Arthur?
Speaker 5: Doing well?
Speaker 6: David.
Speaker 5: Good to hear your voice again. And it knows all season Dodge.
Speaker 7: And so this is great.
Speaker 1: Thank you, appreciate and you know.
Speaker 5: I enjoyed the celebration. We're working on a celebrations. I actually saved all the podcast from the celebrations just doing stuff around the house. Well, put it on the background, just be living on it. Gains great.
Speaker 1: Oh that's awesome, Arthur. I love to hear that.
Speaker 5: Our favorite outfield though. I'm gonna be Oscar Oscar. I'm not surprised he hasn't signed yet. I'm just I'm just wondering whether I think what the issue was, how is working out, because basically I think somebody's pushing the price up on him, which is unnatural giving the fact that soda went for more than the expected.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think Soto's contract has anything to do with ta Oscar Hernandez. There are two different type of players, two different ages, just different players. So I know that's what everybody thought, but it just doesn't have that type of effect. When the Yankees and Red Sox lost out on Soto, they did not go to ta Oscar Hernandez. They turned their attention to try to spend on pitching, and the Red Sox today traded for Garrett Crochet. Thanks for the phone call, Arthur, appreciate it. Let's go out to Beaumont Andrew. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Dallas.
Speaker 3: Hi Andrew, mister David Masse, how are you, sir.
Speaker 1: I'm fantastic.
Speaker 3: Thank you for taking my call. So I just wanted to comment about last season and all the work you've been doing off season. I'm a big I'm a big fan. I haven't been a Dodger fan for the longest time, but it's very inspiring for me to hear you and all the things that you got to say about the Dodgers because my dad was a big Dodger fan, and it's just fantastic to hear all the great things you're doing, especially with PMS. That's the that's number one show on your station.
Speaker 1: Yes it is. I love those guys. I can't believe they've been on the air, I think almost twenty years. It's wild. But Andrew, that's really humbling, and I really appreciate what you said right there. I just love the Dodgers. I grew up here in Los Angeles and it's really special for all of you that the Dodgers were able to deliver that World Series championship last year and have a parade and celebrate all of it. So thank you, Andrew. That's really kind of you. Do you have any question about the Dodgers?
Speaker 3: A little bit, But I listened to you on PMS and on Rogan Rodney earlier. I just wanted to comment on what you said earlier about Yeah, I'm a full time painter for Rivers I Unified School District, so I got a lot of time on my hands. But I heard what you said about Justin Turner missing out on the parade, and yeah, man, that was one of the guys that I met that you know. I've been following you guys for a while and he was definitely missing from that parade. I felt like with the twenty twenty season and everything that happened, he definitely he deserved to be there, and unfortunately he wasn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you, Andrew, uh. But the one thing you can't take away from Justin Turner is that he did win the World Series with the Dodgers in twenty twenty. He obviously wanted a parade, He obviously wanted to be on the field for the last doubt, but he had a great nine years with the Dodgers, no doubt about it. We're gonna take our first time out here on Dodger Talk when we come back more of your phone calls At eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. We'll give you the latest update on the Dodgers pursuit of Rokies Sazaki. You'll hear from Andrew Friedman, you'll hear from Dave Roberts and Brandon Gomes, and we'll have time for more of your phone calls. Coming up next eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy David Vasse live at the Winter Meetings in Dallas on the home of your World champion Dodgers, AM five seventy LA Sports First Hot Stove Dodger Talk of the Winter. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. You'll hear from Andrew Freeman coming up in a moment. You'll hear from Dave Roberts coming up at the bottom of the hour. And Dave Roberts is being honored tonight back in Los Angeles for the Boy Scouts dinner, and Dave Roberts was also honored earlier today he was named Baseball America's Manager of the Year. And very happy for Dave. He was in Japan last week. He was in his hometown where he was born. He brought his mom there, brought his son there, and he was celebrated and rightfully so. A great year for Dave Roberts and a great managed postseason by Dave Roberts. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Kloss in Thousand Oaks. You're on Dodger Talk, Hi Closs.
Speaker 8: Merry Christmas, mister Passe Hot stove talk from Dallas, Texas. I just wanted to express my gratitude for Tioscar Hernandez. I became a Dodger fan because of Justin Turner. In fact, I became a baseball fan because of Justin Turner and watching him with the Dodgers for five years. Was was a real tree, was really special and when he left, it left a hole as a Dodger fan. And I twenty three was pretty tough for me, especially during the postseason and obviously the regular season. I didn't have a player to really gravitate towards. Ta Oscar was that became that guy for me. His smile, his gratitude, his love for the game, his love for the fans, the way that he welcomed Shohio Tani into the team because he knows what it was like to go from team to team and just to get show hey acclaming into a new team and obviously at his bat and his tribal screams as he got home runs and telling all the other players though, let's go and it's just all I want for Christmas from Santa Andrew is to convince to convince Taskar's agent to stay with the Dodgers's He is. I believe he is the heart and soul of the Dodger player team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he is the.
Speaker 1: Heart and soul of the Dodger team claws, and I believe you speak for everybody else out there, and it takes two to tango. As they say, the Dodgers want Tioscar Hernandez. Now it's up to Tioscar Hernandez's representative to meet them in the middle and make it happen. And I am optimistic that will happen, class, I really am. And hopefully it happens by the weekend. But if not, I mean opening day and spring Train's not happening. But I will say this, the longer this goes on, I start to get a little bit nervous, right, So hopefully it happens. And I'm glad you shared that with ta Oscar Hernandez, and I'm with you. Justin Turner will forever be a Dodger. He meant a lot to the team and to the city. Thanks for the phone call, appreciate it. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We'll get back to your phone calls in a second. But here is my conversation with Andrew Friedman. We are in Dallas for the winter meetings, and man, not too many people get dressed up for me. Clayton McCullough did earlier because he's a fancy new manager and now the president of Baseball Operations, Andrew Friedman the best dressed I have seen him in quite some time. Thank you so much. You didn't to be so formal.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no, Dave, anything for you. I've got to return this by six, So if we can get this going, that'd be great.
Speaker 1: Well aware of those deadlines on suits and stuff when you walk through the lobby. I know you were asked this earlier, what is the feeling for you coming off this World Series championship compared to twenty and just compared to come in here the last few years.
Speaker 9: You know, in a lot of ways people said, you know, how long did you get to enjoy it? And it really was like forty eight hours. Those forty eight hours were incredible. But then it was on a flight to San Antonio for the GM meetings and everything focused on the twenty twenty five season, and so, you know, walking through the lobby, a lot of you know, hey, congratulations, So it's like a half second bite of like, oh, yeah, we won the World Series last year. But obviously for us, so much of our focus and energy right now is on repeating you know, winning is really really hard. Repeating is even harder. So we've got a lot of work to do to try to do that. And you know, talking to different guys, I think everyone's mindset is that, which is great.
Speaker 1: If we can go back to the day of the parade, I asked a lot of players this question, and I'm just curious, from your standpoint, did you realize how much that team, those group of players meant to the city before that day?
Speaker 9: You know, for me, right or wrong, Like I've always associated winning with a parade, Like the parade is the cherry on top of the winning and you know, the kind of tying it up in a neat bow, And I've always associated that with winning so much so that the night before the parade, I said to my wife, I was like, God, I've built this up so much in my head, Like there's just no way it can match what my expectations are. So it just kind of thinks that we're going to do this and it's definitely going to come in below what I've built up in my head. And then to go experience it the next day demolished anything I had in my head because my brain couldn't even fathom that, like it was so incredible. The outpouring of love and support, the passion that the fans have for our guys. It was just so palpable, the energy. It was an incredible moment for everyone.
Speaker 1: I saw how emotional you were, how the group of players were. And now, like you said, you've turned your attention to trying to repeat and put together the best team. How do you detach the emotions you have for some of the players that have the opportunity to test free agency and make the best decision for the way you've done it in years past.
Speaker 9: You know, I think for us, all we can really do is be honest, and that's the most important thing to me. And so when free agency hits, right before it opens, you know, make sure and touch base with our guys and be open and honest about how we're.
Speaker 7: Kind of viewing it.
Speaker 9: You know, what potentially works now doesn't mean that we wouldn't go up a little bit here or there, like, No, it doesn't mean that, especially with guys that we have relationships with. But it's all we can really do is just be straightforward and honest. And a lot of times that results and something getting done, and sometimes it doesn't. But the most important thing for me is that they feel the love, support and respect from us during that process, and so touching base with the agents and making sure that you know that we're checking in and they know that we're thinking about them, and we're just we'll be honest, and that's all I can guarantee.
Speaker 7: Before I let you go.
Speaker 1: Everybody focuses on the Winter meetings, but the Dodgers have been aggressive already, signing Michael Conforto, bringing back Blake Trining, and so far the centerpiece of the winter signing, the great Blake Snell. Snell Zilla, congratulations.
Speaker 9: That, Oh I listening to you over the years. I didn't know you'd be supportive of that.
Speaker 1: Some people think I had some influence, but I that was all you.
Speaker 7: No, I think it was all you.
Speaker 9: But I'll take the victory lap for us. You know, Michael's a guy that we've had a lot of respect for from AFAR. It's not often that you can say, on one hand, you think that this player will be a really good floor raiser and at the same time have upside. Michael's a guy that will hit middle ist somewhere in the lineup, and you know, we think driving a lot of runs and be in the middle of a lot of different run scoring opportunities. Blake is a guy that obviously has been a huge part of the success we've had over the last five years. What he did this October was incredible. When we got to the end of the parade and guys are starting to go their separate ways, Blake said, hey, it's a priority for me to come back, and we said, hey, it's a priority for us as well, And so that's always a helpful imping off point. It doesn't guarantee anything, but both sides kind of lived up to that and kept working at getting a deal done and couldn't be happier about him returning.
Speaker 1: All right, Andrew, thanks a lot for the time. We'll catch up with you back in LA and hopefully you get to have those moments continue where you enjoy what you built and continue to build upon. Thanks a lot, Thanks Dave. There he is, Andrew Friedman. I'm very happy for him, because, you know, I feel like he did not need validation for as good as he has been going back to his raised days. But I know Dave Roberts deserves all the flowers he's getting, but so does Andrew Friedman and In fact, I feel like when you say Dave Roberts, you say Andrew Friedman and vice versa. And arguably when you talk about the greatest GM manager tandems, you have to put those two guys on that list. You know, going back to recent history, you'd have to say Brian Ashman and Joe Tory, Bobby Cox and John Serholtz. As far as the Dodgers go, Tommy Lesorda and Al Campanis, and now it's Dave Roberts and Andrew Friedman. There's no doubt about it. And they have had sustained success together and they work hand in hand. So very happy for both of those guys. And look, Andrew Friedman, he's one of those guys that doesn't just stay up in the offices. He's in the clubhouse, so he knows these guys on a personal level, and I'm sure some of these decisions are tougher than others. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number, Joe and Riverside. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Dallas.
Speaker 4: Oh Hey, thanks, Dave, appreciate your your show. I was just wondering if you had any any feelings as to why it seems like the Dodgers don't seem to be wanting to resign Walker Wheeler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're in a tough spot because they signed Blake Snell, who, by the way, is looking like a better sign by the day. I mean, incredible for Andrew to win the World Series Championship and be as aggressive as he was to sign a guy like Blake Snell after we saw what Max Fried got. But they got Blake Snell. They're going after Roki Sazaki, they got Glass, now they got Yamamoto. But more importantly, Joe. It's a tough decision, right. It feels like Walker Bueler is going to get somewhere between three four years and seventy five to one hundred million dollars. He had a great October, he has he's done. He's left his arm basically on the mound for the Dodgers. We know what he's made up of. But it's a tough call at this point in time to say, hey, here's one hundred million dollars after a regular season where you had a five ERA, You're coming off your second elbow surgery, you had a right hip issue. I mean, Walker Buehler and congratulations to him, but raised the bidding with the way he pitched in October, and I just I just feel if I was in andrew shoes, it would be a tough decision for me, Joe. I mean, we all love Walker Buehler. We all know what he's done, we all know what he meant in this championship. But man, don't you can kind of feel what I'm saying here, Joe. It's a tough call to just say, automatically bring him back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, I understand that, and it makes sense. I mean, especially when he signs now he is a better, better fit and a better at this point.
Speaker 7: A better pitcher.
Speaker 4: It's just and honestly like such a good Dodger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and honestly, last year the Dodgers not only traded for Tyler Glass Now, but they gave him a big extension. You know that that might have been if Bueller was healthy, that might have been his extension.
Speaker 7: Unfortunately.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right, all right, Thank you so much, Dave. I appreciate it. I hope you and the family have a good Christmas and a happy New Year.
Speaker 1: Same to you, Joe. Be safe out there in Riverside. Eight sixty six. Nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Look, nobody wants Walker Buehler back with the Dodgers more than me, But I do understand where Andrew Friedman's coming from. And I also understand where Walker Bueller's coming from. He's getting a lot of interest, and the prices keep going up for pitchers. That's why the Dodgers, being as aggressive as they were early to sign Blake's now looks better and better by the day. Uh with the with the prices and the bidding wars going on for these starting pitchers. And we will give you an update on what's going on with Roki Sazaki in our next segment, we'll give you an update on the next big starting pitcher, Domino to fall in free agency. And also you'll hear from Dave Roberts coming up next. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. David Vasse with you until eight o'clock live from Dallas at Baseball's Winter Meetings on the World champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network. Welcome back to Dodger Talk. David Vase with you until eight o'clock tonight here on a five to seventy LA Sports. We are at the Winter Meetings in Dallas, and it's awesome to be joined by two time, two time World Series winning manager, a three time World Series champion going back to his playing days, a man that has been celebrated from Europe to LA to Japan and here in Dallas, the one and only Dave Roberts. Dave, thanks a lot for the time. And it feels a little different this time around at the Winter Meetings.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, Dave, it does you know?
Speaker 10: I don't feel a weight or a burden or trying to spin a story and try to show optimism for the coming season or try to rehash.
Speaker 7: The previous postseason.
Speaker 10: So this year, you know, you can still bask in the glory of twenty four and then you know, going to twenty five with a lot of optimism.
Speaker 1: Hey, last year we had a great time in Nashville at Brad Paisley's farm, and we're gonna have a great time tonight. From my understanding, the two days are going to be at the Kershaw Compound.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So I'm a little under the weather, so I'm trying to figure out if I want to just bail and keep you guys healthy. But you know, I'll tell you Clayton invited me and I'm trying to keep it open and there's nothing better than hanging out with you, Alex Torres and obviously Brad and Kerse. So it's good to be here. We got some great weather and there's a lot of good energy here at the Winter Meetings.
Speaker 1: Great energy, and it feels like the great energy was from the Dodgers winning the World Series. So what's life been like for you? We saw you celebrated in Japan. We all know your mom has roots there. That's, you know, part of who you are. What was it like to be there and be there with your son Cole?
Speaker 7: It was great, Dave.
Speaker 10: I think that, you know, just to kind of go back to where I was born and just realizing that obviously every game that we play is televised in the mid morning in Japan, so there's a lot of eyeballs on us, and obviously with Shohey and Yamamoto and myself, and so to be able to go back there and be celebrated. I said it in the in My City Council award reception where I said that it was the end of a journey tied a boat to my season and full circle you know where I was born to then now finish up there in Okinawa.
Speaker 7: It was great.
Speaker 10: Good to be back here back in the States, and you know, we've already done some exciting things this offseason, and I'm sure there's some more things to come.
Speaker 1: When you look back at your playing and managing career, can you compare winning the World Series having a parade actually being celebrated to when you won your first one as a player? Does it have the same feeling for you?
Speaker 7: You know what?
Speaker 10: I think the more I've gotten that question a few times, and I think the more I've got that question, the more I can kind of give an accurate answer. And I think as a manager it's more gratifying and special. And I say that because obviously, as a player, you're playing, you're taking the offers, you're making the plays, you're getting the hitds getting the outs. But I say that in the sense that as a manager you have your hands and a lot more aware of the people that it impacts. Obviously the fans, but then there's ticket holders, there's vendors, there's parking attendants, there's scouts, baseball operations. You know, the business side, and I think as a player, you're just focused on just the players and playing your game. And so I think that the gravity the scope as a manager is just way more weighty for me. And so that's why I think that, you know, I got so much more emotion because as a manager, you realize how impactful it truly is for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you had that impact on you in that perspective because your first major League game was with the Dodgers. You've been with the Dodgers longer than anybody else currently in this organization. You know how badly the city wanted this.
Speaker 10: I think that's part of it, you know. And you look back in recent years and I lost a friend, We lost friends and you know don Nukeom, you know, Mariy Wills, Vincecully, Tomy Lasorda, you know Sweet Lou. You know, the list goes on and on, and so people that you know, I I was friends with that were Dodgers that I played for, the Dodgers, went to school in the city of Los Angeles. I know this organization, you know, I know the O'Malleys, and you know, so that makes it more personal to me and the connection to the city, the fans, the organization, and I think that's probably why you know, I showed, you know, a ton of emotion.
Speaker 1: Dave Roberts has taught his players a lot. He's taught me a lot. And the one thing that always sticks out to me when I hear your voice in my head, which is somewhat scary, but I hear your voice in my head a lot when you talk about gratitude, because you've always talked about how important that is, and it feels like you have a lot of gratitude right now.
Speaker 7: I do.
Speaker 10: I do, And I think that you know, just off the top of my head, it didn't interview and just you know, Keicky Hernandez coming back to Los Angeles and having a great postseason and winning another championship, and you know Clayton Kershaw and we talked about him on the stage and you know, it was hurt in the postseason, but he got his parade. And so I think that each day baseball, as anyone knows to watch the game, it's a game of failure. So I just think that if you approach it from a place of having some gratitude, it's much more palatable to get through a season and the grind of such a tough game in sport. And I want to impress out of my players because as a Dodger fans, I think that they can appreciate the way our guys go about the game with zest and zeal and energy and compete every single night.
Speaker 1: As excited as the fans are about signing Blake Snell and obviously the reports of Michael Conforto, they still have a lot of emotional attach to the players that you mentioned. How hopeful are you that you'll be able to bring back a Taioscar Hernandez and a Keik Hernandez.
Speaker 7: I'm hopeful, you know.
Speaker 10: Obviously, you know, Tao in particular, really had a tremendous season and put himself in the rightful spot to choose where he wants to go, and so he's sort of suessing out different deals and opportunities and and I would be very disappointed if he's not back with us and Key K. You know, he's a postseason player and that's what he's built for, and so I'm sure he's got a lot of interest from ball clubs. But again, these guys, Tao has cemented himself and Dodger lore. Key K is certainly a Dodger legend, and so I would certainly love him. They make my job a lot easier having those guys back, and you know, and obviously with Clayton, we talked about Clayton really and expect him back to at some point once we get him healthy.
Speaker 1: Hey, you always talk about betting on your players. No greater example of that in Game five when you went to the mound and you know, didn't look at whatever the three year sample size was. You listened to Freddie Freeman Blake trining when you went to the mound. That seems to be one of the images that stand out from the World Series. How proud are you that you were able to bet on the player, but the player was able to deliver.
Speaker 10: It's everything I think that I think I told our guys after the World Series. This is the team that most sort of mirrored I feel who I am as a person, as a competitor, and the buy in was reciprocated, the trust reciprocated. And so yeah, when you believe in bet on a player like Blake or like FREDI or anyone and our key K, you know, in tougher spot and they come through. It makes you feel good and it's about the players. The game is about the players, and I do think that, you know, I showed my trust in those guys all says along and they delivered.
Speaker 1: Dave, very happy for you. You deserve all the celebration you're getting from Europe to Japan to Dallas and Wednesday you'll be back in Los Angeles to be celebrated by the Scouts of Los Angeles. So looking forward to the celebration continuing back at home.
Speaker 10: That's gonna be great to get home to Los Angele and the boy Scouts do great things and it's gonna be a great evening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Will Dave Roberts, you're getting your flowers long overdue, some congratulations and look forward to many years being together.
Speaker 7: Thanks Dave. I appreciate you and all the work you did.
Speaker 1: All right, there's Dave Roberts. He is back in Los Angeles. We had a chance to catch up with him last night and yes, indeed we had a great night with Clayton Kershaw, great dinner. Dave went back home and then a few was went back to the Kershaw house and continue to talk shop. So appreciate Clayton and Ellen's hospitality. Never and why my wildest dreams did I think he would ever invite me over to his home. But here we are in Dallas. He knew a lot of the staff was in town and wanted to talk baseball. Clayton love baseball, that's for sure. And he's doing much better after the left knee and left foot surgery. It's coming along. It's a slow process, but he's in good spirits, which is a good thing for the Dodgers. Now, speaking of talking shop and baseball and all that, Roki Sazaki was posted yesterday and the Dodgers have a lot of interest. They're not hiding it. So they're going to go after Suzaki. They're gonna make their best pitch. I wouldn't be surprised if Otani and or Yamamoto try to recruit him to a certain extent. I'm sure you Darvish is going to do that for the Padres. But Joel Wolf, his agent, said yesterday that Suzaki has not expressed any sort of geographic area that he wants to pitch in, so he's leaving his options open. But a lot of people here in the lobby in Dallas believe the Dodgers and Padres are the favorites to land him. And speaking of other starting pitchers, I mentioned the next starting pitcher free agent Domino to fall that is going to be Corbin Burns, who pitched for the Orioles last year. They're trying to bring them back. But my understanding is right now it's coming down to the Giants and Boston Red Sox for Corbyn Burns, and Boston traded for Garrett Crochet earlier today, So they're trying to go different routes to try to make their team better and try to compete in that very tough Al East. There's also rumors about Nolan Arenado and the Dodgers. Look, the only certainty I could tell you is Aeronado is going to be traded, But the Cardinals right now are having a hard time getting teams to offer anything substantial. A lot of teams right now are seeing what everybody else saw last year, diminishing Nolan Aronado. That is not going to beat Father time. And there's a lot of dollars attached to the back end of his contract, the remaining three years, and that's not something teams want to take on. And how much are the Cardinals willing to take on. So I know everybody would love to have Nolan Arenado on the Dodgers. I wouldn't be opposed to it. You know, I'm a big fan, but I am I'm a big fan of Max Muncie. I believe he serves, he is this. He is the greatest example of the sum being greater than the parts. As far as the Dodger lineup goes, eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Utah, Edgar, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Hi Edgar, Oh, Hi David.
Speaker 11: Real quick question behind the shortstop position? So is that set and soles for Mookie Becks? Because I was just playing GM and I have seen it online on X a few times. The Dodgers trading for as.
Speaker 12: Much as we would will not leave, but as much as the famm would hate Carlos Carrea since the twins are, I think the owners want to sell, and I believe they would on a shit that large contract. I was just wondering if you had heard or if you think it's a good idea. I know we have Lucy, Ben Edmund and Rowa.
Speaker 7: I would love that.
Speaker 1: Carlos Korea. But it just can't happen after what took place in twenty seventeen, Edgar, it just it's not going to happen.
Speaker 6: With the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's the apologizing.
Speaker 1: It's too late for that, Edgar. Thanks for the phone call, appreciate it. He had his chance, and not only was he part of that, but he was very flippant and very unapologetic after that. And I like Carlos. If you listen to the show, you know that when he came back to Dodger Stadium for the first time since then, he answered my questions and he was a stand up guy. And I like Carlos. But unfortunately the Dodgers and Carlos Korea can't happen. It won't happen. All right, let's go out to Hemmitt Glenn. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Glenn.
Speaker 5: I'm doing good.
Speaker 3: David, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 5: You're talking about all these other new pictures coming in.
Speaker 11: What about what's going on with Tony Gons and Dustin May and pas bringing Jusio back?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Julio haven't heard much from him since he was suspended and well since free agency. He hasn't been suspended because he never signed with the team. Uh, don't see that happening, Glenn. As far as Dustin May and Tony Gonsling goes, the Dodgers are going to give them an opportunity to be part of the rotation. And I'm sure teams are calling about them as well, But as of now, the Dodgers are going to stretch out Dustin May as a starting pitcher. Let's take one more phone call before we say good night. Danny in Pomona. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Danny?
Speaker 13: Good about yourself, David, Thanks again for the coper allow me to talk. I actually met you with the Jackie Robinson Day tickets that I won in the suite. Again, me and my better have got to meet you, very free about the opportunity. My question would be, James Outman, are we going to see him back in the big club or is he his day is going to be back in Triple A?
Speaker 1: Thanks again, Yeah, great question. All right. The Dodgers, if they sign like we all hope they do, ta Oscar Hernandez, have a full outfield. One thing that they don't have is a lot of left handed bats. Maybe James Outman is part of their bench, so I don't think it's the last we've seen a James Outman in the big leagues. But he's not going to be handed roster spot. He's got to earn it. Andy Pa has has got to earn it. These young guys have got to earn It's that's what it's all about. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. If we did not get to your phone, call tonight, call back tomorrow night. Back to back shows this week, since it is kicking off the hot stove for us on the World Spion Dodgers Radio here seven o'clock tomorrow night. We will take your phone calls again at eight sixty six nine Weaving two five seventy, and hopefully by then the Dodgers and Taoscar Hernandez have found some common ground, so we'll keep our Taoscar watch going here. Everybody wants him back, including the Dodgers, so hopefully that happens. Thanks to Andrew Freeman and Dave Roberts for their time here in Dallas, Thanks to you for listening. Thanks to Ronnie Fossio back at our burd Bank Studios, and we will talk to you tomorrow night. In case you missed any of the shows from Dallas via the podcast, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. We'll talk to you tomorrow night at seven o'clock.
Speaker 7: See you