Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Hi the Pro Audio Suite.
Speaker 1: Thanks you guys, a professional and motivated with text.
Speaker 2: The video stars George Whittam, founder of Source Element, Robert Marshall, International Audio Engineer Darren, Robbo Roberts and Global Voice Andrew Peters. Thanks to Triboo, Austrian Audio Making Passion, her Sauce Elements, George the tech Witam and Robbo and APS International Demos. Find out more about us check the Pro Audio Suite dot com and welcome to another pro audio suite thanks to Austrian Audio Making Passion heard you can see it now because rom.
Speaker 3: Video exactly scary. Yeah, yeah, here we are actually it's all. Oh you got the C eight C eight eighteen eighty eight.
Speaker 2: We are equipped. Oh we're covering all bases here. Lovely talking about audio stuff though, George, you have a little present that arrived in the mile.
Speaker 1: I've got show until yeah, that's why they're doing video. Do show and then tell well, my friends at full Compass is a great catalog here in the US. Has actually been around a long time, like I'm not sure longer than Sweetwater, but I've dealt with Full Compas since the nineties, so they've been around for a while. They when I found out that the SSL, the great makers of the SSL two that we've all probably used, owned or played with or at some point know about. Yeah, and you've got two s got two.
Speaker 2: SSL two's which could be an SSL four yeah together super glue.
Speaker 1: So I don't know. I guess my best possible guest here is that they thought price point and they just needed a product that would dip down in the sub two hundred dollars US range to compete with the scarlets of the world, right, yeah, and so.
Speaker 4: They date with the scarlets of the world.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, the SSL the scarlet two I two is round as in the two hundred dollar ballpark. The solo is what one fifty one sixty US? Yeah, So no surprise what towever that the SSL one is also at about that same price point, around one sixty US. So here it is, I shall rip it out of the box un ceremoniously, because.
Speaker 2: Two inns is that correct?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: What one mike pre probably in the guitar inputt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in most cases when they say it's a one input device, it's not.
Speaker 4: It's like the same thing as the solo. The solo's that way from Scarlet.
Speaker 1: Very minimalistic packaging, really just cardboard paper, which is what you want to see these days. And then it's got a USB C to USB C cable with no after so it's a you know it's USBC, so move on, which you move on? You, I mean, the only thing that's annoying is a lot of US have USB C hubs that we're using and they have a ports on them. But frankly it's probably not recommended to use any audio device in a hub. Not generally not a good idea. There there are exceptions, and we've come up with some workarounds to that problem, but generally it's not a good idea. It's also generally not a good idea to not use the factory cable, although I think now with USB C it's so much of a standard nowadays that it shouldn't be as difficult to use a different cable. In fact, we've used with our very own passport, I have used a four meter I think four meter optical USB cable that uses optical and it worked a treat, so it probably would work with this. So here it is. It looks really familiar to the SOS too. Once the first things you noticed that it doesn't have is it doesn't have the big four K buttons down, so it's only one mic pre and one four K mojo.
Speaker 4: That's well, that's like it's there. Oh, it is there. Okay, it's up there. It is up here now, okay.
Speaker 1: I kind of like that. I always thought it was annoying that the button that really most voice actors should never press was this giant, beautiful well. I would always always laughed because I was like, the biggest buttons and the giantest knob are irrelevant to most voice actors because they're never using any of them. They're just using headphones. But anyway, so it's it's just cleaned up a bit. They shrunk the chassis, they don't have those big buttons, single mic pre amp here, instrument input there as you would expect, right, such a common design nowadays. Instrument that the mic input is not a combo, so it is strict a mic input, not a combo. And then your instrument here so again just like the scarlet, and then your quarter inch outputs and a dual USB because they felt why not, what's at a second one just for powering? I guess they had enough users still on legacy devices that just wouldn't power it, and so we'll have a.
Speaker 4: That's a good idea. Yeah, I think does the Liewitt have that or the not? The audience doesn't not too many.
Speaker 1: It's pretty, it's pretty, it's not. It's not that common. It's becoming.
Speaker 4: Oh, oh, I know it has it. The focus right has that.
Speaker 1: Oh, the focus right does. So it's it's very clear that whatever the Focus Right had, they were going to make sure this one has it too, you know. But there's a lot of things that Focus Right does this doesn't do, and that's where the differences start to really come into play. So what I like about this is that it does have a physical gain knob pop. I know that's a that's going to be an issue.
Speaker 4: I don't like that anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't tell us why, Robert, I can't tell you why, but I don't like that any But it does any physical knob. So when I'm teaching somebody how to record and set their levels, I can just tell them start it at twelve o'clock, increase it a little bit as needed, and it's just really clear and obvious where the knob is set. You don't have to guess, so that you know a lot of products with digital knobs. The unfortunately they don't all have a dB gain indicator. Right, If, like the scarlets and others of that, ILK had a little LCD saying you're at minus twenty seven d B gain or whatever plus twenty seventy B gain, that would be cool, and a few do, but most of them don't. So I still find this to be just easier. It's certainly easier for teaching. It's easier for learning how to record, it's more straightforward.
Speaker 5: The nice thing about the digital knobs is that you can really make presets and you can get really perfect recallability. And also they don't go scratchy.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they just go away, don't completely when they break, they just they're just like no more control at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the digital knob is there until it ain't, and when it goes, it's just throwing the trash.
Speaker 2: And the other thing they could have they could have stepped it, which being easier to.
Speaker 4: Well, usually all the.
Speaker 5: Digital stuff is stepped and the analog stuff is usually not stepped. And the one nice thing about the with a digital knob, you always have to be careful about turning it in real time, because if it's stepped, it might zipper as you turn it up or down, depending on the size of the steps. But the analog knobs, they're continuous, including all the scratchy junk.
Speaker 1: That pots feel smooth. I'm assuming it's some kind of a sealed pot. I don't know.
Speaker 4: But are they pretty solid?
Speaker 1: No, there's there, it really is. There is no detectable wiggliness.
Speaker 4: That's nice.
Speaker 1: It's a good solid call's a that's a rarity these days. Where is it night? Is it China? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Probably?
Speaker 2: It says designed Oxford building.
Speaker 1: Engineered in the UK, assembled in Malaysia.
Speaker 2: Well, Malisa, okay.
Speaker 4: So so so so what else do you like about it?
Speaker 1: Does the usual? The four K buttons there if you really must, And I think some men's voices benefit from the four K, like, for example mine, I have a kind of a Every time I hear it, it sounds on the dark side. It's a little bit overly warm and dark. So the four K could be nice. Most people probably don't want to use it, but it does have the high pass filter. I like that. I like that it has a high pass filter. A lot of folks are on teel on one O threes and they're wet, so they're picking up.
Speaker 4: God, do you know where that high pass filter is hinging on?
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. Where does it? See? Yeah, you know there is no there is no Oh I lied. I was gonna say there's no manual. The manual is almost always nowadays a QR code.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there is.
Speaker 1: There is a piece of paper and all the people, all the paper is is to satisfy legal requirements. Right, this is no expection exception. Okay, see where the high boss field is.
Speaker 4: And every so lawyers are keeping trees in business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, every every single possible language is printed inside the book. So I will have to actually look that one up for you. I would almost in Swahili with it. I'm pretty sure it's eighty hertz with a twelve d V proactive slope roll es. Surely that wouldn't be stupid enough to put it ridiculously high. No, that's a pretty commonly placed pre set setting. So I liked. I do like that it has. I think a lot of home studio users benefit from preemptively rolling off the low end with their tailing one of threes. The buttons have little lights underneath. So these are actually digital buttons. They're not latching soft they're not latching hardware. They're digital software buttons. So they're actually going to light ignite those little indicators. Telling you that was a big complaint of the first gen is the buttons had no lights or indicators and they were really hard to tell if they were up or down. You really had to right, would you agree with that, Andrew?
Speaker 5: Which is a total console maker thing if you think about the way the SSL board is itself, not every single button had a light.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I guess you're right. So because I don't have a I don't have any spare USBC ports on my system. Everything's everything is being used. But I do have an iPhone, so I just plugged it into the iPhone and it lit. It lit right up. It's a little power indicator and so now we can get uh oh yeah, ghantum slashes for a moment to tell you it's aged. There's your four K and there is your low cut. So that's nice. I like that. Now let's see if they remember their state when you unplug it. Mm hmm, because you know, people forget to turn on their their phantom power all the time. That's a problem. It's gonna be plug it, plug it back in again, don't dun't dum.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 1: Yes, the memory, Yeah, so it's got to go. It's got like a flash memory. It knows that state, it's current state. So some pretty fancy firmware in that thing. And then and then it has a mixed button. And my understanding, again not having read the user manually yet sorry, is that the mix button is simply just a direct monitor, just like the SSL. This just like the Scarlet. So you want to hear yourself press mix.
Speaker 4: You don't want no volume control.
Speaker 1: That is the one lack feature lack that is glaringly missing from this that.
Speaker 4: The Scarlet's got the same problem.
Speaker 1: Scarlet has the same problems direct or not. So I figured, yeah, I figured they looked at Scarlet, are like, this is the most freaking popular beginner audio interface on the planet. What are they selling? What are Let's just put it all on ours and if it doesn't have the Blend control then we don't need it and we can save it. We can save two dollars and take the Blend mob out. That's a bummer. I really like the Blend NB. If you never do directed sessions. Passports a blend. The passport has a blend. Yeah, if you're always doing directed sessions, it's really nice to have. If you're never doing directed sessions, you don't need it. If you don't like wearing headphones, you don't need it. It's really for people that wear headphones that blend headphone model Blend NOB is nice. And then of course just the volume NOB for the headphones there.
Speaker 2: Cool, looks good, It's funny. I'm talking about interfaces though, and we talked about this before week got on. And I'm curious to find someone in another country apart from America, who has a passport for you and see if they can actually plug their iPhone into the comms and use it as a phone patch and get a really good signal. Here I'm using my passport as a phone patch and it works perfectly, and for some peculiar reason, it doesn't seem to work in America, and it didn't work here last year. So something in the last twelve months has changed to our the way our telcos work. I have no idea. Yeah, yeah, but if there's someone like in the UK or somewhere or Europe or whatever, if you've got a passport for you, give it a go and let us know how it goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going to try mine today. Yeah, I plugged in a tiny little lab mic that was laying on my desk into the second sport using a road lavali er mic adapter. So it's just you can plug a heath inch lab right into this, yeah, road adapter. It's called the vxl R plus. I think I think these are like ten dollars.
Speaker 4: Is that lab trs like it's balanced?
Speaker 1: Well, this lab jack is, but I'm pretty sure it works with a non balanced on.
Speaker 4: It just drops inside grounds it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So now I've got a signal coming in and now i can just see. It's a very simple, easy to read VW. What does it do when we start getting in the clipping zone? Is it light up red? Check, check, check, goes to yellow, goes to yellow, goes to red or amber or whatever. So simple, simple view meter, nothing fancy does the job.
Speaker 5: One thing that's funny and it's subtle, but it has a slant on the face of it. I was really surprised with this EVO. It's just a block. It's a block, Yeah, and it doesn't sit on the It doesn't like. It's kind of funny how a little tiny angle can make a big difference ergonomically.
Speaker 1: Well, the EVO is basically it got a digital encoder, a couple of buttons, and a couple it's chunky. It could be half as thick. Yeah, it's you know, or but it's slow slanned. It's in the back because it's not nearly as deep, like it's very it's very skinny. So it is.
Speaker 5: It's I don't think that they've wasted any space in it, yes, and I don't mind the interface at all, like.
Speaker 4: You know, what button? What prep do you want to It can easily run with one it's easy.
Speaker 1: But it is just like an Apollo where it's one knob, many jobs and you have to press the right button before you turn the knob, and the buttons are all labeled in graphics that hieroglyphics. Yeah, yeah, it's internationally. They wanted to translate, so it has nothing written printed in English. This product being created in Britain, of course, has a lot of English language written on it. Yes, home as you would imagine, but uh yeah, that is something that so I think we're reading we've been there for a while, but we're really just dividing line and devices, whether they're kind of traditional old school analog with just all physical knobs, pretty much an ANAMG device.
Speaker 4: On all the way back to an M box exactly.
Speaker 1: This is really just another M box from nineteen ninety nine or whenever that came out, or ninety seven. That's really all this is. It's just another new iteration of an old school USB audio interface, full stop. It sounds good. The preets are nice, they're clean as a really good self noise rating. Henry Krause is that the guy's name on YouTube?
Speaker 2: Julian Julian.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Julian Krause reviewed it. It's up there with some of the best in terms of most of its specs, so we know the quality is good. What else can I say? It's just a simple device for people that are simple minded, not dumb. Just don't think and get into the one knob multiple jobs thing. If that thing short circuits your brain like the EVO does. Hold the EVA up for a second. Actually, Romo, Robert, So if you look at the EVO, it's a very elegant design with one knob in this I mean, we.
Speaker 4: Can we can go through it.
Speaker 5: So like the EVO right here, If you want to control the first mic preamp, you push this button. Then you have the gain, second mic and the phantom for the first part amp. And then if you want to control the second preamp, press the button for the second PREMP and then you have your phantom and your gain. And if you want your headphone volume, you press the headphone button and then you have your gain. Or if you want to control your blend the SSL does not have this, then you press that button and you have your so you always have to say what do I want to do and then turn the knob for it.
Speaker 1: But and has auto gain.
Speaker 4: This does have auto gain to it, Yes it does.
Speaker 1: That. You cannot do auto gain with a mag with a log right, and that's another still to be I think still remaining to be seen thing is is whether voice actors should use autogain or not. I mean it basically, it's not AGC. It's not like the old classic video camera auto leveler. It just auditions your voice for twenty seconds, ten seconds maybe, and then at the end of that period it decides it's okay, this is as loud as they're going to get. I'm going to drop it. By twelve dB usually gives it. I think the ones I've tried to give you a twelve dB headroom and then off you go.
Speaker 4: And then leave it alone, and you leave it alone.
Speaker 1: If you push belonge beyond that game, you will still clip. Now Scarlet takes it to another level and adds what's called their safety. I think it's called there's another button safe. Maybe you've got one, I think, Robert, I think there's an says safe.
Speaker 4: And so this is this is a Scarlet, the fourth gen and the buttons we have one second, I can't see very well.
Speaker 1: We're all on the same page there, but I mean they couldn't black.
Speaker 5: It's as hard to so select forty eight instrument auto safe and.
Speaker 4: The sorry I'm that old too, Yeah, I'm sorry for your eyes. My eyes are.
Speaker 1: Perfect, turning the light on his phone to see the writing because I can see.
Speaker 4: But it's just like the light.
Speaker 1: This is better for folks with less than optimal eyesight. It is say that if that's your category, the scarlet is not a good choice. But yes, it does have a safe button, and the safe button is a clip protect thing. So even if you don't use or do use the auto level the safe mode is a clip protector, and what that does is that when you cross threshold of clipping, it drops the game and it stays there. It doesn't push up.
Speaker 5: You know who has who has really cool tych in this area was originally Aphex, who is now gobbled up by Road, But they had a mic limb circuit and and it would actually on the input that was going in, it would very quickly change the gain of the pre amp based it was. It was actually turning it down. It's a very interesting one to look at. It's kind of too bad that Road hasn't It's funny Road bought Aphex and when like, oh we'll take Big.
Speaker 4: Bottom and yeah whatever, and they just like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of just stripped it for as we hear a lot in the business, stripped for parts. Yeah, striped like.
Speaker 5: The oral exciter in Big Bottom, and they like, that's not even their coolest stuff.
Speaker 1: So now I'm recording in twisted Wave with this little tiny lavalier Mike uh running into the ss L one. There's your level coming in, blah blah blah. And I don't even know if i'd need to bother playing it back. But the idea on sour what source elements recorder. Yeah, I mean sources recorder. It runs on Chrome or Safari. It's agnostics, so you can use it on a mobile device. Is that right?
Speaker 4: Right, you can.
Speaker 1: I haven't tried that yet.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure. We're pretty sure it's ready for the mobile devices'.
Speaker 4: It's pretty new.
Speaker 1: Try it doesn't work, he's Roberts email address.
Speaker 4: Yes, here's my home address.
Speaker 1: Number. Yeah, you don't go a human dress He'll fix it. No, you have a home address, Robert, And it's fake, right, And it took a facade. And then when they ring the board, when they they ring the doorbell, danmed dong trap door.
Speaker 4: Exactly, that's right.
Speaker 1: He went to get help at the guy's house and he disappeared forever. There's yes, yeah, exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh you arrive in the cellar and you see someone you haven't seen for years. I wonder where you've been.
Speaker 5: I always used to tell the clients that the talkback button was a trap door for a pit of alligators. In case there talent messed up, drop him into the well.
Speaker 1: So I'm trying recorder on the mobile. Popped it open, he says, continue, So I'm clicking that redirecting to log in. I'm accepting the legal I am, I am now, I'm logging in. I'm hoping that remembers my user password from my password manager. Looks like it did. Logging in and give it to me baby.
Speaker 2: Come on now, isn't that that song?
Speaker 1: Yes, give it me, Give it to me baby, and golly say, I'm pretty fly for.
Speaker 2: Okay anyone who's under thy sorry about that.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 2: We just dated the whole sh always spokes.
Speaker 1: There's a station here that would play that called Jack FM. Yeah. Yeah, the Jack format was that over? Is that around the world now it's a format? Yeah? Jack Fullmatt is a thing. Yeah, we doesn't have to. Yeah we did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't have Jack.
Speaker 6: We don't have a Jack station in the stratey and I wish we did because it's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Well, my friend, my client, Howard Cogan's been Jack forever playing what we Want from a dumpy little building in Culver City. It was funny. Is he actually lives in Culver City but not in a jump dumpy little.
Speaker 4: So the dumpy buildings his house? Probably not?
Speaker 1: Well no not. Now, we designed a studio, We designed a student of his garage out of concrete and steel. That was pretty mind boggling. Wow. But he's the first guy that I set up an apollo for when it came out, and that was another first working with Jack. I don't have a log in my It's funny.
Speaker 5: I was thinking of all the different audio companies. Most of the interfaces are rooted in English companies. It's like Audience Focus, right, SSL, even Cranbourne or whoever you know, like the US companies or what U A.
Speaker 1: Yeah U A U A.
Speaker 4: Avid kind of like.
Speaker 1: Is the big dog at this point, right in terms of a US based design and IP international intellectual property.
Speaker 5: And then then you have a couple in Germany R and Me and Yellow and Steinberg, right, and then it's like Japan with Yamaha. Really maybe a few like Zoom, but there's not a lot of companies like I guess Sure makes some interfaces that are sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, MACKI sold out to road.
Speaker 5: Is personas US personas is US based, Yeah person Samson Samson as US. I was sinking it as a Chinese company, but another Jersey company.
Speaker 1: Thanks for stalling allow microphone access and I'm finally locked in.
Speaker 4: Did we buy you some time there?
Speaker 1: You can later it's allowing the MIC, and it shows input device and it gives me the option of iPhone microphone. So I have to presume that Chrome is just telling the software there's a mic available. Yeah.
Speaker 5: iOS apps are very hard sometimes to pick devices. You take what's connected, and it's possible that if twisted Wave is still grabbing that MIC, that it's precluded from using it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, I would see. I would have thought would be the opposite, whereas twisted Wave initialized the device that.
Speaker 4: Would be and made it available. Maybe, but yeah, it's kind of hard to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so far not available, saying it seems to be.
Speaker 2: It's like a TV default. What you're doing Jewish, You know, when your TV wasn't working, you to go and bang on the top.
Speaker 1: I'm doing the scratch test, doing the scrash test, what's wrong with the TV? Bang?
Speaker 2: Bang, bang? There you go, that's fixed it.
Speaker 4: Do you do what that's called? No, called that's called impact maintenance?
Speaker 1: Okay, check check check here it's called the technical tap.
Speaker 2: Or reboot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it looks like the recorder on Chrome on an iPhone is defaulting to the internal MIC on the phone. But this is I'm running an older OS too, so I think the most up to dated OS gives the user better control over audio devices. That's what I heard.
Speaker 4: And the recorder is so new, I'm not sure that we've officially made it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Mobile, Yeah, but it very well does format itself nicely on a mobile. Yeah.
Speaker 5: We've had some users that literally they want to recording to the recorder.
Speaker 1: What can you read that? It says SSL one right there. Once you're into the app, and then you can change devices, let's see two to two. Interesting, it's still definitely using the phone even though it says it's the SSL the top close.
Speaker 4: Send them to my house. I will put them in the.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it does really well with the horizontal it makes sense. Yeah. Yeah, it's responsive, that's the word I'm looking for. It's very mobile responsive. Yeah, and it doesn't stop recording when you flip your phone around either. I mean I've had older apps that want if you flip phone orientation while it's working, it still goes and it stops. This one just keeps right on rolling. So it's definitely using the latest design.
Speaker 2: I find that with my turntable if I try and flip, it sort of doesn't play anymore.
Speaker 1: Every time the needle just slides across the road.
Speaker 6: The old days with those early CD walkmans that jump in the Yeah, I had one in the car once and it was like jumping over the joint. But you know, my the turntable I've got, or one of them, the denin which I've had since about eighty three. I think it's it's got some kind of computer in the arm that you can actually pick the turntable up while it's playing and turn it not aggressively, and it rebalances the wow, rebalances the oh.
Speaker 1: You know why because they developed that for rich bastards with ships, and.
Speaker 2: Probably probably
Speaker 4: It's like detrowded player to play yacht rock.