Speaker 1: It's nice side with Dan Ray. I'm WBS cost me.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you have children or grandchildren in a school, elementary school, high school, junior high school. But every kid today, I think over the age of certainly maybe six or seven, has a cell phone. And I know that a lot of parents want their kids to have cell phones. And the reason that parents claim, and I guess kids also claim that they want cell phones is in case of an emergency, they can contact their parents. I don't know what sort of an emergency is likely to have. I know, I know you're gonna sit there's a school shooter on the grounds, and the parents want to know their child is safe. Well, it could be that the mere presence of a cell phone with your child, if that extreme example happened, might put your child in danger. Let's assume your child is hiding in a closet in a classroom and at the moment that the shooter walks by, the child's cell phone rings. Think about that. Okay. The bottom line, though, is that there are enough distractions in schools. We've seen that there seem to be so many of these tests which they're attributing to COVID, that the math scores are going down, or the English scores are going down, or kids aren't learning as much as they should learn the bottom line, and I don't think that I fully appreciated it when I was in grammar school. I did well, and went to high school and I did fine. But every day that a child is in school is a day in which they can lay a foundation or where they might go to college, or lay a foundation for what work skills and interpersonal skills they will have when they leave high school and perhaps they join the workforce or join the military or whatever. So there has been controversy. I'm looking at an article here from late August. These articles were quite around quite a bit in August about Massachusetts schools cracking down on cell phones in class. Why should kids have a cell phone in class? I mean, the only thing that the presence of a cell phone in the possession of a student in class is going to cause distractions from whatever's being taught in that class. You cannot tell me that some kids sitting up in the back of the classroom when the teacher is talking about whatever they're talking about, whether they're talking about a history class or an English class, that they're scrolling to find out if the teacher is correct when they talk about grammar or they talk about the election of eighteen sixty. It just doesn't make sense. It just doesn't make sense. And I don't know if this is a subject that parents are interested in or students are interested in, but I would love to hear from parents, students, grandparents, and also teachers. It would seem to me that if you're a teacher and you're sitting out, you're standing in front of a class of twenty five kids or whatever it is, whatever the normal high school classes these days is probably less than twenty five, and you're teaching a subject that you've prepared, You've got a lesson plan that you want to get through, and you want the students to absorb whatever subject you're talking about today, and you realize that there's going to be some kids who are just sitting there, and you can tell they're tough to reach because maybe they're if they're not asleep, they're half unconscious, they're sort of just daydreaming. I think all of us have at some point daydreamed in school. It's you can have a teacher who's not particularly inspiring, but if you look back at the back or at the front of the room, in the middle of the room, and you see some kid with his head down and you can tell that he's texting. He or she is texting. You know that that student is paying no attention whatsoever to what you're trying to teach them. And you know that that student, whatever that subject is, and whatever that lesson plan is, it'll be there once and then it'll be gone forever. And if it is a subject where you need to build, let's say, like math, you have to learn how to do addition and subtraction before you can do multiplication and division, before you can do algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, whatever. It's all important. So what I'd like to do is just throw it open and have a normal conversation. I don't think there's a right or wrong issue. I feel strongly that cell phones have no place in the possession of students during the class day. I don't think that the suit I think the students can, on their own time, get up a little early. If you got to text your friends and ask about if they watched the Awards show or the MTV show last night on television, and get all that stuff out of the way. Before you go to school, while you run the school bus, you can text away, have text your other friends going to other schools or whatever. And then when you get out in the afternoon three o'clock or whatever it is two thirty in many cases, you get your cell phone back and you go ahead and you commence a texting all afternoon. Now, the teachers in the administrators cannot force the kids to do their homework without being distracted by cell phones. It's as simple as that. But during that period of five and a half maybe six hours during the day, from eight o'clock to two o'clock or from eight thirty to two thirty or whatever, the school day is not only in class moving from one if you're in high school, and moving from one classroom to another, or for that matter, during lunch, when you should be making conversation and socializing with other of your age in the you know, in the dining room or cafeteria, whatever they happen to call it in your school, it is not a time for you to be sitting there texting. So that's my position. I'd love to know what you think as a parent. Have you thought about it? I'll bet you have. As a grandparent. Have you thought about it? I'll bet you have as well most people who are grandparents today. I don't think there are any grandparents out there today who had cell phones when they were in school, because in order to be a grandparent, I'm guessing you have to be at least somewhere in maybe at the earliest your late thirties. Cell phones were not available a lot during that period of time. But I'll I want to throw it out there. I want to know cell phones. Are they something that the school administrators have to crack down on? And they best they have to. When these kids arrive at school, homeroom or whatever it is, they put their cell phone, they turn their cell phone off, and they put it in a location that they do not have access to, no one else has access to. No one wants to see their cell phones trashed or thrown away or mixed up. I'm looking at a picture now. This must have been in the Globe article and it says that, well, it looks to me as if it's almost like a wall hanging that everybody puts their cell phone and they leave it there off for the day, and maybe they should put it in They should construct a glass case, so they can see their cell phones, but they don't have access to them. So that's the question of the hour. Again. If you're a student, call up your friends, tell them, give us a call, and you can tell me why it's so incredibly important for you to have your cell phone in your hand or on your person throughout the school day, just in case there's an emergency. Look, if you get sick at school, call the school nurse, tell the teacher. They'll send you down to the school nurse. School nurse will call your parent, whatever, and you'll be all set. Maybe the parent will have an uber person. I don't know how, but they'll figure it out. They don't need you to make that initial call. The only lines that are open right now are six, one, seven, nine, three, ten thirty. I'm gratified that people have chosen to call in on this. Whatever your point of view on it is, I don't see what I don't see any benefit whatsoever for a student, high school, junior high school, elementary school from being in the possession of a cell phone from the moment they arrive at school into the moment they leave. Call me old fashioned, I'm willing to take that. Tell me, I'm unreasonable. I'm willing to take that too. I just want to take your calls. Coming back on Nightside. It's a Friday night. We're heading into the weekend. Lots going on this weekend. People are going to be going up leaf peeping, which is great. I know Patriots fans are going to watch the debut of Drake May, the regular season debut of Drake May. And we'll get it. We could talk about a lot of stuff. I have some other subjects I want to talk about as well. And we have an eleventh hour coming up tonight and I'm not exactly sure we're going to do for that. So we have surprises, surprises for me and surprises for you. We'll be back on Nightside. We got full lines right now. I love I'm loving it coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now, back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's see what people have to say. Let me go to Frank in Boston. Hey, Frank, you were next on Nightside. You were first this hour on Nightside. Actually, Frank, welcome, Oh thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't I don't understand why anybody has these these phones that they nothing but nuisance. They everybody's staring down him, walking down the road and looking where they're going. Is the parents and the kids want to just get a standard little flip phone. Twenty five dollars for the phone, twenty five hours a month, and all you got to do is worry about picking it up when it rings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you and I think of like I loved my flip flow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was a cheap thing in the world I give.
Speaker 3: I get so many emails every day, and it's like people are sending me stuff and it's like I can't keep up. I kind of it used to be that I couldn't answer everything. I try to answer the ones that people send me repeated. It's tough. But if someone sends me a nice email, says hey Dan, I like your show, Thanks, I'll send them a quick little thank you email. We don't do mail anymore. We don't write letters to our friends anymore. So it's all come down to it got to be email. And now it's like they don't even want you to take time at email. They want you to text message.
Speaker 5: Well, that's that's all right, as long as it's short and sweet. But I don't I don't get it and not only that, but what do it? I don't understand why people don't realize that these phones are putting so much junk in front of them, and you got enough stuff going on in your life that you need to deal with. Why are you gonna put all this junk in front of you? All this what is it? All these want to be liked and all that stuff? Why you gotta complicate your life when it's already complicated enough. And then the parents are paying, not only buying these phones for them, but they're paying their monthly bills. It is.
Speaker 3: If you ever decide to run for office, would you let me know because I think I'd like to manage your campaign or at least contribute to it, because you make more since been all these politicians, I'm serious when I say that.
Speaker 5: It's it's because we complicate our lives. We just complicated too much.
Speaker 3: I think we do. Hey, Frank, I loved your call. If you ever called me before, since your.
Speaker 5: First time, you know, twenty of times.
Speaker 3: You keep calling. Okay, and as they say you decide can run for politics, you gotta let me know because I want to manage your campaign. You your breath of fresh air, my friend. Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: How old breath of fresh air.
Speaker 3: No, it doesn't matter, no, no, no, no, your fresh air is good, no matter where, at what age it is. Okay, I really thank you, thank you, my friend, don't.
Speaker 5: You thank you?
Speaker 3: I like that call. He's right to the point. Only line opened six one, seven, two, four ten thirty. Chris is in Chelmsford. Chris cell phones in schools. What say you?
Speaker 2: I don't think I don't think that would be a good idea. I think if you take it to the rookieo school, the nun would take it in or I'm not going to hit him with the ruler. But I'm not sure what.
Speaker 3: They mean with the rule that then they hit you in the head with it. I shouldn't say that, because I'm sure the nuns are different back in the day. Though, You're right, really you had to.
Speaker 2: Because when my mother went to Saint Agnes and Arlington to when when you would play, when she would play the wrong note, you would get hit by the rule. That's told me when she was alive.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know how how old your mom was, but I played hockey against Saint Agnes in c Yo hockey and they were always a good team, those guys, those guys from Arlington, trust me on that.
Speaker 2: She would have been ninety three this past mate.
Speaker 3: No, she's a little older than I am. Let me put it like that.
Speaker 2: But oh yeah, I understand.
Speaker 3: My mom's birthday would have been It was October fourteen. She had the same birthday as then President eisenhow which as a young boy I thought was pretty cool. She wow, yeah, she would have been well well over one hundred. So hey, but.
Speaker 2: They we have been home. Then they see, you know, they'll teach, they'll they'll follow the education with the teacher seeing what they're really teaching. They'll open the phone, and.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting concept. That's an interesting concept actually listen to what the teacher's saying and learn something.
Speaker 2: Exactly how long ago were.
Speaker 3: You in school, Chris? How old are you now?
Speaker 2: I am fifty six next Saturday until the nineteenth, Thank you and.
Speaker 3: Happy birthday in advance. And when when you and I were in school, there weren't cell phones. The only thing that was distracting was probably some of the teachers who were who you who you thought didn't know what they were talking about. And as you get older, you realize your teachers were a lot smarter than your thought at the time. Let's put it like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and who went to they had a pay phone.
Speaker 3: Them they had to do what?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had a pay phone them.
Speaker 3: Your payphone? Yeah right, I remember payphones. Uh, there aren't many of those left. I haven't seen one of those in about ten or fifteen years. But I will bet you somewhere there's a payphone. I had a friend of mine who I had a friend of mine who invested in payphones. You actually could buy your payphones, and you could, and it was just before cell phones came in. It was probably the worst investment investment the guy, the guy ever made sadlls.
Speaker 2: Chris, have a great week, okay, enjoyed the Patriots, geared, don't you four?
Speaker 3: No, No, he didn't know, he didn't. But it was a friend of mine who said, this is a great thing. I just go around like collect the money out of bay phones. Well shortly they were after there were no pay phones to collect. Thanks again, Chris, I appreciate your calling.
Speaker 2: Think would get anything everybody you do.
Speaker 3: Let's go to John and drake it. John up on the New Hampshire border and drake it. Hey, John, welcome next on nightsick fraid hen Hawaii.
Speaker 4: I think it's a great idea. I think it's a great idea for them to, you know, take these phones from the kids. You know, so like you said, you know kids in the back of the room. He's not even paying attention, you know, he is because his head's down. They could have some type of device app of some sort where if the kid walks through like a scanner in the school, that it dismantles the phone. He could stay on, the phone could stay in this person, but it dismantles it. Now, if there's ever a crisis or something sort of issue in the school, it would send an alert to the phone. I'm thinking of all this weird stuff now because I'm not that I said, but I'm thinking that that would be an ideal thing. If somebody could, you know, come out with that, some big IT company or some sort that I'm sure they're already looking into it, that it would send this particular stop block thing to every phone in every person's possession and then turn it right back on at two thirty five in the afternoon.
Speaker 3: It would be I think that's reasonable. Yeah, And I suspect that that technology probably exists Elon Musk probably invented it.
Speaker 4: It might, it might be out there, right I'm hoping that it comes that way, because you know, these kids are decidened by it. But you know, it's only a couple hours of your life, and you have to be in there for curriculum. You don't have to be in there to be texting or going onto your YouTube channel. I mean again, I'd be honest with you if I was in school nowadays and that was the case and I had a phone the way I am as an adult, because I'm always scooping around on the phone based on my background, as you know, being a comedian and everything else, I'll be on that phone like nobody's business, even in school. I mean it's just like I would be distracted by the fact that someone's got to take this advice from me.
Speaker 3: John, here's the deal, Okay. I like to think of myself as a fairly disciplined person, meaning I have to put a show on every night. You as a comedian, you've got to develop a new set periodically. You got to work new jobs, and you got to work on your time, and you got to keep your show yourself in shape. Antaline people don't realize it. They think that, oh yeah, comedians get out there. No comedians, Yeah, really hard to develop, right. What I uh say is that when I have a couple of minutes and I'm just bored, and all of a sudden, I'll click on something and I'll see, you know, there's oh there's a baseball player. It's a goofy baseball player, some guy right the wrong way of the basis.
Speaker 2: Okay, I look at that.
Speaker 3: And then the next thing is, oh, there's a foot ball play and I look at that, and then the comedian maybe it's you, maybe it's someone else doing like about thirty seconds like I guess you turn later and you say, what what have I've been doing for the last fifteen minutes? And dedictive? It is as they know how our brains are wired, they know what to do to us. And this is.
Speaker 4: Something I've been called well on a number of occasions from family members and not just them, but my girlfriend as well, saying well, you keep off that phone.
Speaker 3: Yep, we know exactly what you were going to that you didn't say, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't know how the time, Yeah, but that's what she'd say, And I'll tell you you know, it's just it's it's dishoveling because they're just sitting there and you're not paying attention, you know, and it happens.
Speaker 3: John, let me let me ask you. When's your next gig coming up? Where are you are you?
Speaker 6: I'm all serious.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that. Tomorrow night, River Edge in Maseu and at four seventy Lowell Street Johnny Joycecomedy dot com or Boston's Best Comedians dot com. We're kicking off my new comedy club tomorrow night right there at River Edge Restaurant, four seventy eight Lowell Street in Mavillain.
Speaker 3: My pleasure. If I was anywhere near there, I would have dropped by to see the set. But I'm not geographically close to where you are. But uh, just go break a lake to ball night, have a great a great set and if anybody is. People always looking for different things to do. So this is north of Boston. It's in the wood.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right off the highway, right off the highway there. Yeah, if they google that address, they'll realize that it's right off the rimp. And guess what they gotta They gotta shut their cell phones off, work.
Speaker 3: Something into your your show tomorrow night on that you can come up with something between now and then.
Speaker 4: I know you can't, most certainly can. And I'll bring up WBZ tevisary with Dan Baby.
Speaker 3: There be some people in the audience up there. We have a lot of listeners up north of the city.
Speaker 4: No, you know, you know if.
Speaker 3: Look folks, if you don't have something to do anight, you know with your with your significant other. Yeah, where's the club again, John, Let's give it one more time in case they.
Speaker 4: Miss River Edge at four seventy eight Lowell Street in the Sewing on one ten just right there off the highway, and you can check out Boston'sduscomedians dot com or Johnny Joycecomedy dot com seven eight one eight two zero three seven three eight.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you you know how to plug a show. Great, great job, John, Doug, you soon, buddy, Thank you, thanks very much. Six one seven, two five, four ten thirty triple eight nine two nine ten thirty. Cell phones Do they belong anywhere in school during the school day? I say definitely no. There is no redeeming social value for a kid in school at any age to have a cell phone, period. End of story. Coming back right after the news at the bottom of the hour on a Friday night. They were heading into a very nice fall weekend. Patriots are at home, new quarterback. All of that A lot to talk about, we a lot to experience this weekend. To stay with us, We'll be right back on nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: All right, we're gonna keep rolling. He're gonna go to them. I don't think I've ever had this name before. Maybe I have Hawa in Boston. Hawa, How are you.
Speaker 2: Hi?
Speaker 7: I'm good?
Speaker 3: How How am I pronouncing your name correctly? Is it Hawa or Hawa Hawaii?
Speaker 8: I'm actually call it a long time listener and a first time calling.
Speaker 3: First time caller. All right, let's get that applause going from our Wadi's with the studio audi itself. Hawa, thank you very much. You Sundly, you have some little ones in there in the back. What's going on?
Speaker 8: And I've got eleven year old who you actually honed in your message because I've been trying to explain to her why she's not she shouldn't have a phone.
Speaker 7: She's not old enough yet.
Speaker 2: And it leads to a lot of distractions in school.
Speaker 8: But she, you know, she wants to always combat my argument with hers, and why why why? But your example of the fact that this could lead to, you know, an even serious situation where if something was going on in school, for example, the extreme example you gave from the school, shoot that that that phone could really lead to.
Speaker 3: You know, I need to talk to you eleven year old right now.
Speaker 8: And yes, well she talks to her name is.
Speaker 6: Rosie.
Speaker 3: Okay, you can you be a phone with us at the same time.
Speaker 4: I'm going to be.
Speaker 8: I'm right here with you all so you can talk to her.
Speaker 3: Okay, Hi, Rosie, how are you good? What grade are you in in school?
Speaker 9: I'm in fifth grade?
Speaker 3: Wow? Fifth grade? Are you in a school in Austin? I assume you got a lot of friends.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I have a lot of friends, and I'm in a school in Cambridge.
Speaker 3: In Cambridge, oh okay, a lot of smart people, a lot of smart schools in Cambridge. So now my understanding is that your mom has been trying to convince you that having a cell phone with you can be distracting. I think she's got a point. Well, tell me why a cell phone is a good thing for you to have with you all day long when you're in school, because I don't understand that. Can you explain that to me?
Speaker 9: Sometimes I used to think that having a phone on you in school was helpful because just like how you said, it could be helpful in an emergency. But after you said that, like if it rings, the that guy could like come towards you. Now I'm understanding that it doesn't really matter and you don't really need it. And there's phones around the school for a reason, and the teachers or the grown ups so the staff can call for you. There's no need for a personal iPhone or phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so do they have Are you allowed to bring your cell phone to school or do you have to put it in some sort of like a pouch when you bring in when you go to school.
Speaker 9: At school, some people they have their phones and their backpacks, so they just leave it in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they turn it off, So it's so it does bring I hope right. Well, again, if the kids are mature, you sounding a very mature eleven year old, you're going to do really well in school. But I think if I would just stick with that. The other thing that I think is very very important, do you guys have a cafeteria or a lunch room when you have lunch together. Yes, I think that's so important. If everybody had a cell phone and everybody's looking at their cell phone, there'd be no socialization. You have a great opportunity to make lifelong friends in school, and the best time during the day is it lunch when you get a chance to talk to them and find out what they like and what you like. And this, I know this sounds a little crazy because they know it's tough to go to school. There were days when I didn't want to go to school. But take advantage of every day, learn something new every day, and you'll be it'll be help. It'll help you in life so much that you can imagine. And you're going to do really well. Rosie, thank you so much for talking to me. You've got a great mom. Okay, thank you. Thanks, Thanks Rosie. I hope you're still there.
Speaker 10: I'm still here, and I'm so grateful for you to help meet and get that in her head and so well.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you I've had my kids are a little older at this point. That's that's one sharp young lady.
Speaker 2: You're a very sharp young lady.
Speaker 10: She's exceptional in her class work and just her overall maturity as an eleven year old and continues to doing like just take us by surprise each day, so we're very proud of her.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you there are very few kids who at the age of eleven, we'll be able to get on the phone with an adult that they don't know and haven't you had about something and respond all her questions were so responsive. I was very, very impressed. I'd love to know where she's going to be about ten or twelve years from now, because she's going to be graduating college. You how many children do you have?
Speaker 2: How I have three?
Speaker 8: I have eleven, seven and almost two year old.
Speaker 3: Well, and that eleven year old is going to set a wonderful example for your other two children.
Speaker 4: So she's already setting it.
Speaker 8: Dan, I'm telling you so thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for listening to Night's side, and I'm telling you keep us posted. She's she's something special and I think you are a mom or something special.
Speaker 4: Too, So thank thank you.
Speaker 3: I have a great weekend. I hope she gets a long weekend. She doesn't have to go to school on Monday.
Speaker 2: No, she doesn't.
Speaker 10: She has a great long week.
Speaker 3: That's great. Thanks again. I'll look forward to your next call.
Speaker 8: Okay, thanks absolutely, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Bye Dan, Bye, Rosie. Take any you're you're you're great, Rosie. I'm telling you you're gonna be something. Someday you'll take my job or something like that. But you're gonna you're gonna have a great life. Just just keep keep working hard and having fun. Thanks Rosie.
Speaker 2: Thanks all right, thank you, good night, good night, ladies, good night night.
Speaker 3: Wow. I really enjoyed that call. I hope you enjoyed it as well. If you want to comment, that's an eleven year old with the maturity and the language skills. She's gonna be going to great school and she must have great parents. I can tell right now that she's going to be something special. There's no doubt. I gotta I'm gonna remember this call. I really will. Rosie eleven years old. Wow, look gonna take a quick break. If you'd like to comment, why can't every kid be like that? Huh? If every child was was like that, we would we would be we would all know that I was so secured, checks would be there for a long time to come. Anyway, here's the number six one. I got a couple of open lines six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. I am so proud of Rosie, so proud of how and I'd love to hear your reaction to what that eleven year old young lady had to say and how she comported herself. And also big big kudos to the mom for basically calling in, setting a great example and giving her an opportunity to be on the radio. We'll take a break, but coming right back on Nightside, I can wide open lines. Let's let's have a couple of comments on Rosie because I think she was extraordinary, as was her mom, or as is her mom, I should say, be right back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World to night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: I hope you heard that call with Hawa, her mom and her daughter, Rosie. How if you're still listening, a Rosie, if you're still listening, please call back. I want to send some night Side t shirts a Nightside tea shirt to both of you. Okay, you need to call back and give Rob your phone and your address. Rob will get all the information and I'll get those in the mail to you. Great friends at college Hype dot com provide pink night Side T shirts this month. They'res in recognition or breast cancer awareness, but they're great t shirts. They'll say nice side with Dan Ray. They're very stylish. Good pal Jack Dougherty and Kathleen Hickey and Joe Foley and the gang and College Hype over in Dorchester. They produce great products and they're kind enough to make those T shirts available for us. So please, if you're still listening, or Rosie, if you're listening, just call back in call in at this number six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Those lines are open. I want to get a T shirt for both of you to wear. That was an outstanding phone call. I was so engrossed in the phone conversation that I forgot just to have your stay on and get the T shirt so called six. It's called six one seven nine three one ten thirty. Rob will wait for you. We'll get that information and we'll get that out to you, hopefully well by Monday. Okay, we'll have a rosie and opportunity to wear the T shirt proudly to school all right, let's keep rolling here. I'm gonna go to Brianna in Everett. Hi Brianna, welcome you next on night Side.
Speaker 7: Hi Dan, this is my I'm a first time caller, but my fallar listens to me all the time.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you very much. I'm honored. I'm honored. Tell me what your thought is about cell phones. You sound like you may have kids in school. I'm guessing I do.
Speaker 7: I'm thirty three years old, but I have a fifteen year old in sophomore here, the sophomore in high school, and I have an eight year old who was in third grade.
Speaker 9: H huh?
Speaker 3: How how are they reacting to cell phones?
Speaker 7: My daughter does not have a cell phone. I do not think that she's old enough her cell phone, and she definitely wouldn't have in school, that's for sure. Okay, my son, he has a cell phone, but he is only allowed to. We have like a parental control thing on it, so he can only call like out to like an emergency number, or me or my mother, my father, his father during school hours.
Speaker 3: I got confused. Which one is older, Brionni, your son a daughter?
Speaker 7: My son is fifteen. His name is Christopher. My daughter is eight she's Amelia.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 7: And so when I was in school, we didn't have cell phones. We were allowed to bring cell phones to school. There was no We had pagers and beepers. And I just think that, like with all the school shootings that are going on, I think that kids should be saying that more focused on the awareness in their surroundings and paying attention not only to that classwork, but like I said, to the surrounding, making sure like they're okay. And if it only takes a second to look down at that text message to for a bullet to go flying, and that's that's a scary thought. Yeah, it's a very scary thought. But that little girl, Rosie, that's I was gonna call you before you even said call and comments on her that was amazing, absolutely amazing.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's what I want to do for you, Brianna. I want you to stay on the line. I want to send T shirts to you, your daughter and your son.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll get a T shirt for you. We'll get a pig nice eyed T shirt for you and your daughter, and we'll get a great T shirt for your son.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Jan well, looking forward to it. Thanks for being such a loyal listener. And also you can drop a note if you want to Jack Doherty at College Hype dot com in Dorchester when you get him, because we wouldn't have them give out if he wasn't kind enough to produce him for us. So if people are interested in getting them, you know I'm going to send them to you. Don't worry. Well and hopefully was that how all called back? I hope, Bob. Okay, so how is called back? Get she and Rosie a couple of T shirts as well, and I just you may want to send a thank you note. The guy that owns the company is a good friend of mine, Jack Dougherty. So hang in there, right there, we'll get all this information. Okay, thanks Brianna, have a great weekend. Let me go next to pal Dennis. Dennis. How you doing tonight, buddy? You Dennis was a teacher for years.
Speaker 2: That's why I was gonna comment. I know I'm breaking the rules, damn, but.
Speaker 3: That's okay, that's okay. We make exceptions on Friday night.
Speaker 2: Yes, I taught a Low high for forty years and I've been substitute teaching for the past ten years at Lowell High School. I have a little experience. The system at low High is, you know, you can bring a cell phone with you to school, but when you go into a classroom, you put in what we call a lock box locked up.
Speaker 3: That's what al go first, talk talk the phrase lock box, the security number that goes into the lock box.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, So now that's the system we use because otherwise it is too distracting, you know, to the students. But I also have to comment on that eleven year old. How impressive.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you, I was so blown away I forgot about a night's eye T shirt and said so. But they've called back and we're gonna be.
Speaker 2: All set excellent. They deserve them.
Speaker 3: Dennis. Thanks man. I got to get you one at some point, but we'll get.
Speaker 2: I have enough shifts. I coached six sploits. I'm good.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I know you played to baseball too.
Speaker 2: I know that absolutely, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Dennis, Thanks to talk to you soon. Dennis played at Lowell State when all right, thanks, how much? We got minute thirty. We're gonna get Jim in Maryland. In Hey, Jim, I got a minute thirty for you. Go right ahead, we're gonna wrap the hour.
Speaker 6: Jim, you had no problem Dan that that girl was amazing, just amazing.
Speaker 3: Eleven years old, that presence just just wonderful. There's hope for America as long as we have a few rosies coming along.
Speaker 6: Oh definitely. But I think that the the phones, you know, I know you need them for emergency or whatever, but just disengage the students as much as you can from cell phones other than an emergency.
Speaker 3: Right, Disengage from the cell phone and engage in the classroom, simple as that.
Speaker 6: Pabulus's have some more social skills going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got.
Speaker 3: You, You got your The social skills on that you get on a phone call are not particularly good at best, and they can be pretty dangerous at worst. I'm going to get one more in, Jim, thank you much.
Speaker 6: We're talking to Okay, go get them.
Speaker 11: Dan.
Speaker 3: Thanks, thank you for listening down there in Maryland so regularly. I appreciate it. All Right, final call, Brian, you called late. I got thirty seconds for you. That's all I can do, Brian, go right ahead.
Speaker 11: Yeah, this is Brian from wes Roxby. I called you about the bag law and the bike laws and Wes Roxbury. But these cell phones. I'm eighty one years old now, Dave and Dan. But that's okay, Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: That's fine. I have a brother named Dave. He's smarter than I.
Speaker 11: But anyway, at Christmas time, when I went to my sister's house, she had a little basket in the hallway. When they came in the door, they had to put the cell phones in the in the basket.
Speaker 3: I'm with you totally. Your sister's a smart woman. Let me tell you, hey, you called me. I got you yet under the wire, but I gotta let you run because I got the news coming at me. Brian, call again. We'll get you. Give you more time, I promise.
Speaker 11: Okay, I'll talk to you again. Thanks for the call.
Speaker 3: Thanks Brian, seeing West Roxbury. Thanks, good night. All right, done for the hour. We come back. We're gonna talk about another problem we gotta deal with. Uh, we'll talk about that right after the ten