Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by La Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talking like back, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk David vas Say live at Minimate Park in Houston, where the Astros shout out the Dodgers tonight by a final score of five to nothing eight six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number from ber Valdez was really good tonight. The left he had ten strikeouts and six and a third scoreless innings, and that was part of the reason why the Dodgers were not able to score. Their best opportunity to score was in the seventh inning against the Astros bullpen and an opportunity to take advantage of the defensive shift the Astros had on when there were runners at first and third, Key k Hernandez at first base, Miguel Vargas at third base, two outs, Gavin Lux at the plate base it to the left side, or I should say ground ball to the left side where Alex Bregman was, but he was looking for a second baseman or any other infielder on the right side to toss the ball to for the force out at second nobody was there and his hesitation cost him. Keyk Hernandez beat him to the bag, but for some reason Key k slid off the bag and Bregman was able to place the tag on him. While all that was happening, Miguel Vargas, who was at the runner was the runner at third base, jogged home and he was called out after the replay because keyk Hernandez was tagged out before Vargas touched home plate. So that was a very frustrating sequence of events, and the Dodgers are shut out for only the fifth time this year. To nothing eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, you know before we go any further. A part of the reason why the Dodgers were shut out tonight is because they were without Mookie Bets, without Max Munsey, and for tonight and probably the rest of this series at the very least, are without Freddie Freeman, who decided, after going through his pregame routine with Dino Ebol that you know what, I've got to be home. I've got to be home with my family. I got to be there for my little son, Max, who apparently has been in and out of the hospital the last week or so. I gathered that information from a public post from Freddie's wife, Chelsea, who posted something yesterday that Freddie and was with his son in the er until three point thirty in the morning, either yesterday or the day before, and he's going through some some health stuff and they're trying to figure out what it is, how they fix it as they go through this. So Freddy was not himself today. When I asked him whether or not he wanted to speak publicly about what's been going on with Max and how he's been dealing with it, he declined, which is very unusual by Freddie Freeman. He talks about anything under the sun. He's one of the more candid players out there. So you could just see how much it's weighing on him. Jose Mota and Rick Munday rode the bus over here with him. They obviously could tell something was weighing on his mind as well, and we found out when Dave Roberts came to speak to the media that Freddie was a late scratch and he was headed home to Los Angeles, and rightfully so. Our thoughts are with little Max Freeman, and no doubt Max is as strong as his dad and his mom, and he'll come out of this and they will figure what's going on and they will treat it. There's good people at the Children's hospital and they will definitely fight this with Max, and Freddie just needs to be there to be there for support for not only Max, but his other two sons and also for his wife Chelsea. So Freddie, We're with you and Max and the rest of the Freeman family and we're thinking about you. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Kevin in Culver City. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 3: Kevin, God is good.
Speaker 4: How are you doing, David? Some things are bigger than baseball. So my thoughts in Parisa was Freddy and his family, you know, take as much time as he needstest number one, taking care of that. Hope the little one gets better, and he's in my thoughts. So tough, tough, tough things going on, but yeah, absolutely love Freddy, lovely stance, will of the family, you know tonight there's obviously other things going on with the team, hopefully could bounce back. I just want to get your thoughts on what we could possibly do to kind of strengthen our team. I don't know what's going on with Yamamoto going to come back. If the Giants want to get out of your boy snall Villa, maybe we can make a run to Blake Snell. I know three minute far Han know each other mutually. Or do we go after a big fish like maybe Vladimiric rolld Jr. Haven't played third base? Or bring our boy Nolan Arenado back home to the OC to LA What are your thoughts on that? Or do we do something small like getting Justin turned? What do you do is the best alternative? Thanks David, appreciation, Go Blue, Go Dodge.
Speaker 2: All right, Kevin, thanks for the phone call. Well, there's a lot of different questions right there. Number one, we went through this during the Giant series because I was one of the first that said it's becoming apparent the Giants are not They're not contenders. They're pretenders, and they have to come to that realization, and they may trade Blake Snell. But my understanding is they're only going to get about two million dollars of relief on the luxury tax. So unless the Dodgers are really overwhelmed far han Ziety, I don't see them making a trade with the Dodgers to send Blake Snell here. We went through this on the homestand we looked it up. Dwayne MacDonald, our producer engineer, looked it up and confirmed that the Dodgers and Giants have only made three trades since the teams moved west, and the last one was all the way back in two thousand and seven, Mark Sweeney was traded to the Dodgers. And before that, you have to go twenty two years further from seven, and that was Candy Maldonado, a power hitting outfielder, was traded to the Giants for a backup catcher in Alex Travino. And then there was another trade of names that we really don't know in nineteen fifty eight. So the likelihood of Blake Snell being traded, I would say is above. I would say on a scale of one to ten, I would say at least an eight is the possibility of him being traded. As far as traded to the Dodgers, I would say that's a two. Considering the Giants and their fan base, detest the Dodgers, and if far Haunt traded Blakesnell to the Dodgers, I'm not sure he would be allowed back in the city. So I just don't see that happening now. The Dodgers did make a trade today.
Speaker 5: They did put.
Speaker 2: James Paxton designated for assignment, but they traded James Paxton today to the Boston Red Sox, the team that Paxton pitched for last year, for a seventeen year old infielder by the name of Moises Boulevar. He was playing in the Dominican Summer League for the Red Sox team. So the Dodgers made a trade and James Paxton goes back to Boston. Randy a Rose Arena, a player that I've talked about for the last month, went to the Seattle Mariners. Late last night when we landed in Houston, we got the news that Arose Arena was traded to the Mariners, and the desperation of Jerry Depoto obviously trumped whatever the Dodgers were discussing with the race for a Rose Arena, because my understanding is Depoto gave up a top one hundred prospect out of the Mariners organization for a Rose Arena, and the Dodgers were not going to give up an Alex Freeland or anybody of that caliber for a Rose Arena. So that's how the Mariners got him. And we also got the news that Garrett Crochet now is making outrageous demands for a guy that's barely pitched in the big leagues. He's making demands now that he wants an extension if he were to pitch in the postseason for a team he doesn't want to go to the bullpen. All these type of things that are going to make it very difficult for the White Sox to trade Crochet if these demands are accurate, and my understanding is they are. I mean, he was asked about it before the game today in Chicago and he did not say they were false. He just said no comment. He's not talking about it. So you could take Garrett Crochet off that list as well. I don't see the Tigers trading Trek Schoolbols, so there are going to have to be other ways the Dodgers improve this team. May with the Marlins closer Tanner Scott, maybe with another outfielder like a Tommy fam or a Luis Robert. Those are names to remember, and also a Nico Horner of the Cubs. It seems like something might be being discussed between the Dodgers and Cubs. Whether or not it comes to fruition still remains to be seen. But the Dodgers have a.
Speaker 5: Really good team.
Speaker 2: They have three MVPs on their team, they have multiple All Stars. If they can reinforce this team with those type of players at the trade deadline, they're a better team.
Speaker 5: It doesn't have to be.
Speaker 2: A Garrett Crochet or a Trek Schouble. That's a big splash type of trade. But if they're able to improve it with a closer like Tanner Scott and improve it with an infielder like Nico Horner and an outfielder like Tommy fam I would say that's a win at the trade deadline for Andrew Friedman. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 5: Let's go out to west Chester. Ronnie. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Houston.
Speaker 6: Hi, Ronnie, Hey, David, thank you for taking a call. Why do you get your opinion on two things? The po has Vargas outfield combo. I feel like every game there's a ball that falls that shouldn't and today I think it was a the affle TV. Don Tell does a great job, but the guy who play that played made it seem like neither of them that played outfield before to say one thing. But that's something in just And when Mookie comes back, right, I'm assuming he's going back to shortstop. We don't know what it's called on Rojas, So the outfield.
Speaker 5: I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: I would you know, Nick on Meds here, who knows who the Dodgers acquire at the trade deadline as far as an infielder that could play shortstop like a Nico Horner. So no, I would not say Mookie's going back to shortstop when he comes back, and Miguel Rojas is expected back as well.
Speaker 6: And that's great news because I want to see pay Oscar back and left, I want Mookie back, and right, we do need to send a fill of their fam I know, you know he's a little bit old, but man, I will take him ten days out of ten in centerfield over what we have right now. And then second there the kind of wanted to get your opinion on the trade deadline with what's already happened. I thought one of the diamonds in the rough with Zach Applin, like he's really down this year. I think the market was a little depressed on him. The kind of guy who, like, I don't know, the last three years before this season had been pretty nails for the Phillies. You know, is there a possibility like and again this isn't a complaint, This is more of an honest question. Now that we're seeing what's come off the border, ready, is lance win like that type of picture, like in that realm of just like, hey, get us inning and.
Speaker 3: Get us to the postseason.
Speaker 6: Tell our guys our horses get right and then like a Tanner scot or like should we be searching movie?
Speaker 2: Bite your tongue? Did you just ask about Lanceln Again? The Dodgers are not looking for that type of picture this trade deadline. They're looking for a playoff pitcher that can make us start in game two or game three, that type of caliber, a playoff starter. And if they can't get that type of playoff starter, they're going to allocate their prospect resource in different areas to shorten the game. Like a Tanner Scott, you can do other things to shorten a game.
Speaker 5: And let's not forget.
Speaker 2: They'll be moving some of these starters to the bullpen in October as well. So it's not a do or die situation if you don't get Garrett Crochet right.
Speaker 6: And Flyn is not a guy.
Speaker 5: Eflyn is not a guy. I'm sorry, he's not.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers already have starters that are as good as, if not better than, Zach Efflin.
Speaker 6: And I think you've said, of all the million times, let the Rangers just keep winning and that Dicas know, Well.
Speaker 2: Forget about that now, Ronnie. They're gonna win now. Now they're buying. Now they're buying. Thanks a lot for reading for the Rangers, Ronnie, You're ruined my plans. Okay, thanks for the phone call. I was just kidding. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Astros shut out the Dodgers tonight, five to nothing. Yeah, it appears that the Rangers now are all in. They are in competition for the Al West, which is not that great of a division. The Mariners have coughed up a big lead. That's why they panicked and gave up quite a bit a haul to the Rais for Randyo Rose Arena, Seattle, is one game back in Houston. The Rangers are only three and a half games back, So yeah, they're not selling anymore.
Speaker 5: They're all in eight.
Speaker 2: Six, six, eighty seven, two five seventy. Let's go out to Brad and mission Viej. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Hi, Brad, Hi, thanks for taking my call. The Dodger offense has been kind of anemic over the past few games. There's a lot of strikeouts and stuff. And what I'm wondering is that's going to probably get better when if they can get any kind of acquisition, wouldn't you say they would probably just get a little bit more balanced in the lineup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say they're just trying to lengthen their lineup. And when they get Max Muntsey back and Mookie Beds back, you're extending the lineup pretty good there. I mean, those are two big pieces to make your lineup deeper.
Speaker 7: And do you think Will Smith's savage will pick up a little bit? He's a little bit ever since those four home runs in a row, he's kind of down a little bit in the average get.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know what's going on with Will.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling, Brad that something physically is going on with Will He takes a beating back there behind the plate, and he's not a guy that wants to talk about it. If something's going on, he may reveal it towards the end of the year, but while he's in the middle of it, he's not saying much. But yeah, there might be something physically going on with Will Smith. And that's the danger of relying on a catcher to be one of your best offensive hitters, because a lot of times they're not themselves because of the beating they take up behind the plate. So definitely, I would say that he's not just in a slump like other players just because that's part of the season. I would say he's in a slump because physically he may be wearing down or are there's some bumps and bruises that are taking its toll on him. Eight six six ninety seven two five seventy is the phone number. Astro shut out the Dodgers tonight, five to nothing. Framberg Valdez was outstanding six and a third scoreless innings, ten strikeouts, while Gavin Stone takes the loss. He gave up home runs to Alex Bregman and first baseman John Singleton.
Speaker 5: Let's go out to Laguna Hills. Rob. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi, Rob.
Speaker 8: David. Because of yesterday, the Dodgers had the second most wins in baseball. But as a die Dodger fan, there's a lot to be said about the team right now. Piez is a starting center fielder.
Speaker 9: He had twenty nine RBIs and one hundred and five games. I don't know how far you can go with a starting center field like that. Now the five inning pitcher, now, Stone is a four inning pitcher. Now he's pitching like a minor league.
Speaker 8: Now you know you're dying on the line. He did great. Uh uh you know, but the last four games, Uh, I don't know about pies. I know the bullpen is you know, beat up and ty.
Speaker 2: So he just started off saying this, Uh, the Dodgers have the second best record in the National League.
Speaker 5: I'm still waiting for you to say something positive.
Speaker 9: Well, you know, I know, what do you think about Glass now pitching five innings a game?
Speaker 2: Now, he just came off the I L and that was his first start back. So he's not going to pitch a complete game. And I feel like when it's money time and he's going well. The Dodgers are going to let him ride out until you know, he runs out of gas sixth or seventh inning in a game.
Speaker 5: Rob but uh Tyler Glass.
Speaker 2: Now is a big part of the Dodgers' October plans, and they're going to manage his workload until they get closer to that.
Speaker 9: With outman on the bench. As a left handed Batta, one of why Dave Robinsons thought him ob a pies against the right handed pitcher tonight.
Speaker 2: Well, the starter was a left handed pitcher. Rob Framber Valdez is a lefty. Thanks for the phone call, appreciate it. You ran out of questions. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're going to take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, more of your phone calls, Plus we'll give you an update on hal Walker. Buehler fared in Oklahoma City tonight and we'll take more of your phone calls.
Speaker 5: And also had a chance.
Speaker 2: To check in with Clayton Kerse shot today, so we'll let you know how he was feeling after his season debut yesterday at Dodgers Stadium. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers shut out for only the fifth time this season, five to nothing by the Astros on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy, online at amfive seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Talk with David Bass.
Speaker 2: David Masse live at min in May Park in Houston, Texas. After the Astros shut out the Dodgers five to nothing, eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers get beat by Franbervaldez tonight, who was on his game. He had ten strikeouts and six and a third scoreless innings. Gavin Stone takes the loss. We wanted to give you an update on Walker Buehler, who was making his first start for Oklahoma City since going out to Florida for a month to get his hip groin area right, get his pitching mechanics realigned in the process. Tonight, Bueller went four innings for Oklahoma City and gave up four earned runs eight hits. He only had three strikeouts. He threw seventy two pitches and four innings. Forty five of those pitches were strikes. What does that all mean? I have no idea, but if you just look at the box score, that does not overwhelm you. So I have to ask Dave Roberts tomorrow whether or not Bueller needs another rehab start or he feels like he's ready to go the next time around the rotation. By the way, in that same game in Oklahoma City Dodd, two Dodger key relievers made appearances. Bruce Starr, Graderol and Michael Grove each pitched an inning of scoreless baseball. So that is big because the Dodger bullpen has been gassed. They need those two guys back in a big way. All right, let's go back out to the phones. Let's go out to Nathan and Huntington Beach. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 10: Nathan, David, I want to talk about trade deadline. A lot of it talks about big acquisitions, but you know, we look at what this team has lacked for really that the whole last era in the postseason, it's timely hitting. Do you think they should be going after some contact hitters, especially one who's maybe undervalued this season on of the value trade part of the Dodgers like and Andy Diaz.
Speaker 5: Yandy Diaz. Where is he gonna play?
Speaker 10: They played third base. You don't know what mac Munky is gonna give you when he comes back.
Speaker 2: From what I understand he You know, he's in the same bucket as of Vladimir Guerrero Junior when it comes to third base. That's the reason why he's been playing a lot of first base for the race. Well, the Dodgers are pretty uh and the Dodgers are pretty encouraged that Max Munsey is going to come back, so they will have monthsy back before I would have magine in the end of August.
Speaker 10: All right, Well, appreciate David hope they find somebody who can make contact in that bottom half the lineup.
Speaker 2: How do you like Tommy fam Tommy Fan's a three thirteen playoff hitter, and the Dodgers there more than they need a third baseman.
Speaker 10: You know, Tommy fam definitely has some stats behind him. They need somebody who's not going to strike out, and I.
Speaker 5: Just gave you his numbers. He's not a strikeout guy.
Speaker 2: He's a three thirteen lifetime playoff player. All you talk about is having a playoff player. You just called me with that, Tommy Fam, I would say a three to thirteen playoff hitter against the best pitching which you face in the postseason, Nathan, I would call him a contact hitter.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I wouldn't. I wouldn't argue with Tommy Fam. But it doesn't add the same kind of confidence to lineup thats somebody like Andy Diaz.
Speaker 2: All Right, I disagree with that in different ways because Yandi Diaz does not have a position on the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Thanks for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Burbank.
Speaker 5: Hank. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Hi Hank, Hi Dave. How are you. I'm doing well, Okay, great. I gotta tell you, I think you're one of the best interviewers and broadcasters in the game, so at first I got to get you the war.
Speaker 5: I don't know if that's true, but I appreciate your kindness.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, it's a tougher job when they don't win, isn't it.
Speaker 2: And the Dodgers make my job really easy and have ever since I started in twenty twelve.
Speaker 3: Okay, very good. Okay, I'll get right to my question. Knowing that the Dodgers have such a large payroll, is that you really think that other teams really want to trade with them to make them better.
Speaker 2: My understanding now going back five or six years, is that there's this thing called a Dodger tax out there meeting. Teams like you said, Hank, don't want to help the Dodgers get better, and maybe they ask for more from the Dodgers than they would from other teams. I'm not saying that happens all the time, but that's I've heard that. I've heard there is a Dodger tax.
Speaker 3: Dodgers told understood. Well, that was my question. So you know, go Dodgers. That's the luck to them, you know, if not wait till next year.
Speaker 2: Okay, Hank, thanks a lot for the phone call. Hopefully they won't have to wait until next year. And speaking of that, you know, this is the first time I've been back to Minute May Park since Game five of the twenty seventeen World Series. The Dodgers have come back in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one, but I can tell you this talking to members of the coaching staff, players that were on that twenty seventeen Dodgers team, like Kershaw, Austin Barnes, to name a couple. They do not like coming back here. This place does not have great memories for them, And even though the rest of the baseball world has moved on, when you come back here and you're with the Dodgers, it's a constant reminder of what was taken from you in twenty seventeen, and what was taken from them was Game.
Speaker 5: Five of that World Series.
Speaker 2: I'm a big believer that the only game the Astros really took from the Dodgers was Game five because Game four, Alex Wood was extremely smart and changed up his signs so the Astros could not use their tactics to steal pitches from him. You, Darvish was a different animal, because they had his signs, they saw the tipping of his pitches. For some reason, they just had him, and I wouldn't be shocked. In Game three, obviously they stole signs from him as well. But I'm a big believer the Dodgers still could have won that World Series if they just would have closed out Game two. If not for Marwin Gonzalez's game tying home run in the eighth inning. I believe it was off of Kenley Jansen. The Dodgers would have gone up two to zero.
Speaker 5: They would have.
Speaker 2: Came here to Houston and all they needed was one win to take it back to LA. And we saw the Dodgers win Game six and lose Game seven. But to me, the twenty seventeen World Series was not lost in Houston. It was lost in LA in Game two. But nonetheless, coming back here for the first time since twenty seventeen and I wasn't even a player, it just brings back a lot of those memories of what the astros did, not only to the Dodgers but to other teams. And think about this, how many lives those astros changed, not just with the Dodgers, but specifically with the Dodgers. The narratives surrounding Clayton Kershaw and Dave Roberts' careers would be completely different right now if they won that World Series. There were two members, two veterans of that Dodger team through that retired without another opportunity, and that was Chase Utley and Andre Ethier. Brandon Morrow left his arm on the field in twenty seventeen, he went to the Cubs, got a big deal, but never had another opportunity. Think about the Yankees and the Alcs, the players that never had a chance to win either. So you know it wasn't just about stealing the championship and all that other stuff.
Speaker 5: They changed the narratives of.
Speaker 2: Careers around Major League Baseball in twenty seventeen, and who knows how much longer. Daniels Jewelers they are the official sponsor of the trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniel's Jewelers owned the dream. That'll do it for us Tonight on Dodger Talk, We'll be back with you after Tomorrow's game, Game two of this three game series. Ronel Blanco will be on the mount for the Astros. He's nine to five this season with an ERA of two seventy five. He threw a no hitter earlier this season. He's going up against rookie Justin Robleski, who is making just his fourth career start in the Big leagues and he will be on the mound searching for his first major league win. Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck begins at three o'clock tomorrow with first pitch at four to ten. Thanks to Dwayn McDonald out here in Houston with us, Thanks to Colin Ye back at our Burbank Studios, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show or our pregame conversation with Nick on med you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Once again, want to send out our best wishes to Max Freeman, Freddie Freeman, Chelsea Freeman and the rest of the Freeman family.
Speaker 5: We are with you, and we.
Speaker 2: Know Max Scott has got this, and he's in great care and obviously has the great support of his parents and his family. So thinking about you, Freddie, thinking about the family, and we are with Max.
Speaker 5: Max has got this, no doubt about it, all right.
Speaker 2: Once again, the final score from Inmate Park in Houston, Texas. The Astro shut out the Dodgers five to nothing. Have a great rest of your night.
Speaker 5: See them