Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with skimp Richard's shoes.
Speaker 2: Trim.
Speaker 3: Just watch him as many spain not a sign.
Speaker 4: Sun.
Speaker 2: Hey, good morning, I'm hearing myself echo in my headphones. That's weird. Well, I'm glad to be here this morning, and then I hope you are too. We are. We've got a lot of things to talk about, as we do every Saturday and Sunday. You know, the gardening world just keeps going on every time we turn to a new week. There's new things. We've got diseases that are coming and going. We've got things to plant, things to prune, things to take care of, and we're going to talk about all those things today. If you've got a question that you would like to ask about, why not give me a call seven to one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two to one two k t r H. All right, Well, I wanted to talk this morning first of all about I'm going to be at Nature's Way Resources up near Conroe, up on I forty five. I'll be there today from eleven thirty to one thirty, so basically over the noon hour. They're having their big Fall festival. This is a shindig. I tell you, the Fall Festival is your opportunity to come out have some fun. They're going to have food, they're going to have music, they're going to have a number of different people out there. Let's see. Like I said, I'll be there from eleven thirty to one thirty. The whole event goes from nine am to two pm, so if we can to it. We've got to do something about this echo in my ear. It's kind of like having an annoying sibling that every time you say something, they repeat you until it drives you crazy. Have you ever have you ever had had one of one of those things? Well, anyway, I'll be out at the event, and I hope you'll come out to see me. We're going to be giving away some cool stuff. By the way, the folks at Nature's Way are providing a bag of their fine textured leap mol compost every half hour while I'm there, so we'll giving weigh four bags of that. They're also going to be giving away a gift certificate that is worth one hundred and fifty bucks, so that alone is worth as they say, the price of admission. If you'll come on out anyway, put that on your calendar to day eleven thirty two one thirty. It's time to make sure you get your fall fertilization on the lawns this and here's here's why I say that. Now, if you look at my schedule at gardeningwith Skip dot com, you will see that October is a big month for doing that. The sooner you do it, probably the better off you are. And here's why. It gives it a chance to get down in the soil and up in the roots of the plant. Now, it's still warm outside, but when we start cooling off, the grass root nutrient uptake slows down at the roots. System just kind of starts to slow down because it's cool and our warm season grasses don't do a lot of growth in the cool season. So if you get it down now, you have more opportunity for those nutrients to move into the plant.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Nitrofoss has a fertilizer called the Fall Special and it's part of their Texas three step system. The Fall Special has the high level higher level of potassium, which is critical for good cold hardedness. If you're trying to make your lawn cold hardy, what you do is you give it a little bit of nitrogen, not a lot like summertime, and you give it a little bit of potassium and those together go into the grass plant and create the essentially ana freeze in the plant and the form of carbohydrates. So that's part of their three stuff. The other two parts are nitrofoss barricade which prevents weed seeds, and again do it now. In fact, these last two are even more important to do asap. The nitrofoss barricade prevents weed seeds from germinating. Now. I don't see a cold front in the near future, but one is coming, and when it hits and we get some cool weather, some rain, cool season, weeds are going to sprout in your lawn. Prevent them by having barricade down and watered in ahead of that. If you ain' to the weed drout and growing a pre emergent is not going to be helpful because it's a pre emergent meaning before they come up. So get that down now. The third one also important to do soon. Nitropuss eagle turf fungicide. This is a systemic product. You put it down, the grass takes it up, soaks it in, takes it up and the fungicide itself makes that grass resistant to a disease attack by fighting any disease it tries to attack. And the diseases fall are the large patch, the big brown circles. We call it brown patch. It's hard to change that name. The new name's large patch. But either way it prevents that. If you wait till circles up here, it's late. It's too late to stop that brown area. You have to wait till spring for that brown area to grow back in again. So get it done now. Nitrophuss three step Fall Special Barricade and Eagle Turf fungicide. You're going to find it at Court Hardware in Stafford, katy Is Heart where has it, Plants and things in Brenham Growers Outlet up in Willis or all places you can get the Texas three step. So don't forget that. Don't forget that. I mentioned being up at Nature's Way Resources. You know Nature's Way still has their fungal compost sale on Fridays going on. You head up on a Friday and it's called Fungal Friday at Nature's Way twenty percent off their fungal composts. Fungo compost is good for compost top dressing. Fungo compost is good for adding to the soil. It is a high quality compost. They screen it down to a good particle size, so you can put it over your lawn and have it fallen in the little holes for narration or just nestle in around the grass runners. And it's just a good thing to do for your lawn for winter time. I wouldn't say the top dressing gets rid of all weed seed sprouting, but it helps because every time you shade the lawn a little a little more, you make it more difficult for weed seeds to get the light they need to germinate and succeed. And so in addition to the fact that it feeds protects the soil, it also is going to enhance the biological activity in that area. And we know biological activity is critical if we want to have success with anything. That we are trying to echo is back. So I'm going to turn. I'm going to make that go away there where it won't bother me. All right, folks, welcome back to Garden Line. We are glad to have you with us today, looking forward to talking to you. Give us a call seven to one, three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two ktrh. That's another week you can go about it. Uh Intented Gardens Done in Richmond is stocked up with all kinds of cool stuff. I was I was just checking them out and they have the multicolored have you seen those? It's like a big pot. Well it comes in they have three different sizes, I believe, But anyway, it's a pot and it's got three different moms all planted together. So when you look at it and it hadn't bloomed yet, you just have those buds. It just looks like a bunch of buds everywhere, and all of a sudden it starts blooming and you've got you know, some pinks and orange or white or yellow, whatever the colors are in that particular pot. It is gorgeous. I mean, these are showstopper beautiful, really really nice. They also wanted to mention, by the way, today they're going to be having a program on culinary herbs, using cooking, growing and using culinary herbs, and that's kind of cool. You know, here comes Halloween, I mean, Thanksgiving and Christmas, all the holidays. You're doing any kind of cooking. This would be a really really cool thing to go to and learn about. They are stocked up again on houseplants and we are entering I call it houseplant season because you know, as you spend more time in the house, you have time to tend those plants. And I don't think we have enough houseplants in our homes. I mean that there were many years where I just had a houseplant or two just because you're supposed to have a houseplant. And I've gotten into it so much now that some of our areas look like little mini jungles because there's so many different kinds of plants in there. But I'm telling you, it is bringing nature inside it, just having that presence of something that's not so sterile as just you know, furniture and things like that. Having life in the room is really cool anyway. China Gardens always has good stuff going on, always has good things. So if you need any fall color, they've got it. Ornamental cabbage and kale and dusty miller and alyssam and petunias and dianthus and snap dragons and of course moms and crotons, crotons, the color of fall. All the things you need for that while you're there or when you go take the kids and let them see their pumpkin house. It's really cool too. And guess what's arriving. I believe it's arriving today. There are pansies and Viola's for the cool season color as well. So anyway, check them out and Jenny Gardens. They're on the Katie Folscher side of Rechmond on FM three point fifty nine. Katie Folscher FM three fifty nine. While are you there, you can pick up the fertilizers you hear me talk about. You can pick up soil products that you hear me talk about as well. And remember, don't go home with plants without going home with the brown stuff that goes in the ground that makes those plants happy. I'm going to head out to the phones now and talk to Almanda and Richmond. Hello Almanda, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 6: My question is I bought some huge moms for my wife that my mother in law take care. Well, she's in out of town and they're looks like they're drying out, and so it wants me to take them back because he said they're drying out. But I don't know if I take something like that, and how do you take care of that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Probably probably not that that's kind of a it looked good when you got it, and if you know, if you don't keep it going, then.
Speaker 6: That to talk to him, that guy. I've just started watering them every day and it's only been a week since I've had them.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, all right, Well I'll leave that between you and where you got them. Moms I find to be a little tricky. We have a big mum in front of the house, and watering it once a day is not enough. It needs needs more than that, especially if it's in quite a bit of sun, which mums like to be in some sun. So we put a big old tray underneath that that I can fill with water and it wakes it up. And if I see that tray empty, I know to fill it up again. Just keep water in that tray all the time. That's helped me not overwater. The other thing with mums is you don't want to top water them.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: They the new mums have been pinched and bread to form really tight mounds, which is gorgeous, but when you put water on there, it just is this wet rots and things like that start. And I last year had a whole section of mum that just started rotting out because I was top watering it. I know better than that, are you there? I believe we lost him? All right, Well that's all right. Well anyway, those of you who are getting moms, Okay, if you didn't, if you weren't quite listening on that one, just here it is in a nutshell. Keep your mums adequately moist. And that can take quite a bit of water, especially if they're in the sun and there, because they packed those mums into that pot and it doesn't take long to dry out. Don't water them from the top. If you've got a little watering device, put the spigott down underneath the foliage and water the soil rather than drenching the top. And my other suggestion is if you can put a tray under it, it makes it a little more easy. I get busy and I'm gone for a day or something, or maybe a day and a half, and I come back and ugh, it doesn't do well in that, you know, without the regular watering. So I put a tray in her mind, and always keep about an inch or so of water done in the bottom and that'll wake up in there and it's kind of like your rescue just in case you forget all right anyway, Secrets to Success with Moms Nelson. Plant food has an outstanding fall fertilizer and they call it carbo load. Now you're thinking about why would you call it carbo load. It's a fertile it because what makes grass winter hardy is carbohydrates, and it takes nutrients and sunlight to do that, especially the potassium. When we go into the fall, we lower our nitrogen and raise our potassium, and that is what carble load is. The other thing that does is the carbohydrates store over winter, not only giving cold heartiness, but helping it come out in the spring. That's what carbo load does. Now, forty pound bags is going to cover five thousand square feet. When you put it down, you have to water it in because carbo load also contains a pre emergent. So if you use carbo load with its pre emergent that is in it, you don't also need to use a different per emergen that it is its own. So I've had a lot of questions about that. Well, if I do that also, no one pre emergent choose your pre emergent. Use that carbo load provides a preventative surface barrier that prevents weed seeds from coming through in the cool season, and it'll lasts a pretty good while in there, but you got to water it in to do that. You want to water it in to get the fertilizer nutrients in as well, but also you definitely want to walk in to make sure and get that pre emergent in the surface of the salt where it can do its work. Very important to remember, which reminds me we just need to read the label, right, isn't it important to read the label? I find that so many folks grab a product and it's no fun reading the label. You know that. It's like I know how to use this, and they're just going to use it. And the other thing we tend to do is, hey, if a teaspoons good, isn't a tablespoon better? Right? We know you know you're driving a nail. Get a bigger hammer and you can drive it better. Well, it doesn't work that way with pesticides, With insecticides, spongicides, herbicides, you can damage your plants. By not reading the label. You can cause environmental damage to creak rivers. That's in people. If you don't read the label, always read the label and follow it carefully, and there you will learn things like do not put a herbicide that's pre emergent down without watering it in, because it doesn't work until water takes it into the soil surface. So read the label, read the label, and then follow the label.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: And there's something in my family I call stupid tax. I call it. I say it about myself. And I used to always tell my kids, well, you're going to pay the stupid tax if you do that. What that means is you don't do the thing you should do, and you get to pay for it, and then you hopefully learn so you don't have to pay stupid tax again. Don't pay stupid tax. Read the label, follow the label.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 2: I'm off my soapbox. Meanwhile, back at garden line seven one three two one two kt r H. Seven to one three two one two kt r H. That's how you get a hold of me. Let's talk about the things that interest you. I love Ace hardware stores, and I have a hard time passing one with not going in because Ace Hardware stores are independently owned So although it is a chain of stores and you've got the ACE products and you have a general mix of things that you would expect from any ACE, each store is privately owned so they can do things that maybe another store doesn't do. So you see some really interesting things at ACE Hardware, and I guarantee you you go into one. If you haven't bet a known ACE hardware recently, you go into one and you're going to go, oh, I didn't know they carried that, or I've never even seen that before. What is it? They just have cool stuff, And of course you're going to go in and get everything you need for your lawn and garden and your landscape. You know, the fall fertilizers I'm talking about, they've got them, the fire ant control falls, fire ant season and extension. We used to say agrolacri extension. We used to say tackle fire ants in the fall. And the idea was, hey, fall is football season, so we're going to say tackle fire ants fall two. The best season of the year to get in there and knock your fire ants down significantly is in the fall. Baits are the way to do that. Individual maund treatments apply more pesticide in the environment. Baits apply very little pesticide in the environment. There's organic and there's synthetic baits. You have options, but do the baits and suppress the large area. If you can get your neighbors to do bait. When you do bait, it is way more effective. It really is. We did some studies in agur Life years ago where one of our some of our entomologists went out and they would hoa or something would bring them in and they'd have a meeting for all the homeowners and say, look, we're gonna here's the bait, and here's how you do it. And if everybody does it, it really affects you. I mean, if you're controlling your fire ants and the people around you aren't, well you know how that works, they're just going to come on in. But when everybody does it, it is much more effective. But remember Bates. Remember ACE forty stores in the Greater Houston area. All you have to do is go to ACE Hardware dot Com, find the store locator and you can find the store near you. We are Let's see here, what are we on? Time? John in League City. I'm gonna have to hold Hill right after this break, so I have time to give your call the time and attention that it deserves. I want to remind you one more time phone number seven one three two one two kt r H. I'll be right back after we take a little break here for some news. In the meantime, look out the window and it's Starkat said. If your neighbor's lights aren't on, you need to go bang on the door and tell them they're missing garden Line. They will rise up and call you bless it. Maybe not today, they may call you something else today. I'll be right back.
Speaker 8: There we go.
Speaker 2: All right, we're gonna head out to League City and talk to John. Hey, John, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 9: Yeah, hey, good morning.
Speaker 10: So about two weeks ago, my wife and I planted some skyward yopon hollies.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 10: And they're pretty bigger, like seven feet tall. They were two seven and a half gallons and one fifteen gallon.
Speaker 8: And we planted them.
Speaker 10: You know, I kind of dug them like Randy always said, you know, two wide, two times wide, one and a half deep, and put some expanded shale in with the soil.
Speaker 6: What do you recommend though, as.
Speaker 10: Far as watering. They're in the sun a lot and I just with like, you know, how much should we water, et cetera.
Speaker 2: And this is a yopon, not not a different type of holly.
Speaker 10: It's a yop It's called a skyward yop on holly. It's it's uh, it goes really tall, goes up to maybe like fifteen feet.
Speaker 2: That's the kind of holly it is. Yeah, Well, I would water on them regularly as long as we're having warm weather. And when I say regularly, I mean think of it this way. That pot was sitting in a garden center and they were watering it every day, because the whole root system is in the pot you put in the ground, and it's going to take months and months, if not a couple of years for that thing to fully extend a good root system out there. So early on, it's almost as if you sunk the pot in the ground, meaning the roots are all still in the same spot. So while your soil could be moist, that that area where the roots are can get dry, and that's the only place the plant can get water is from that area where the roots are. So just a light watering, don't drown them, But about every day every other day when we're having ninety degree temperatures. Then you know, you can back off as we start to cool off a little bit, to the point where in winter you're just you know, maybe once a week giving them some water.
Speaker 10: Okay, Yeah, we've been putting like a trickle down there every day for maybe fifteen minutes or something, and it's kind of really moisten that rootball. But if we didn't know if that was enough or in this hot weather or what we should be doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just it. You know, it's hard to tell someone how much to water because there's quantity and there's frequency both and so if you're in a sandy soil, you're gonna water a little more often. If you're in a clay soil, you're definitely water less often. So I would I use my hands and I dig down in the soil a little bit, maybe three inches and feel the soil, and if it's moist I don't water, but if it's not, I do. That's kind of the best way to tell.
Speaker 10: Well, right there in the rootball or close by that you just kind of dig with you, yeah.
Speaker 2: Kind of right on the outside of it, just feeling right there. You know, It's it's not like a rocket science or you got to get it just right. It's just a matter of trying to gauge that I'm keeping it moist. That that's the important thing, you know, I said, sand or clay. It's also true if it's in a lot of sun or not much son, that dramatically changes how much water.
Speaker 3: It is sun right now, So yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So they're just a lot of factors that go into it. Just the main thing is remember where all the roots are and will be all the way through next spring. For sure. You got to take care of that base of the plant. That that's where the plant can take up nutrients. And okay, all right, good, you don't put good luck with that. Yeah, okay, did you say, did you ask me something?
Speaker 10: Well, I say, you don't want to put fertilized down or anything on it? We have not even to put water down, I don't think.
Speaker 2: No, don't worry about that right now. Let's get it in spring when it starts coming out, we can begin to put a fertilizer around it and kind of scratch it in the soil surface and water it in real good. Okay, thank you, all right, sir. All right, folks, if you'd like to give me a call and talk about something that is of interest to you. Well seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two k t r H. Buchanan's Native Plants is down there in the Heights. I first of all, I don't know who is listening right now that was out there, but it seems like everyby this is the guard line showed up. It was a It was a great event that they had with their their fall event at Buchanans. It was a week or so ago and it just was there were kids ever are having a really good time. I was a kid there having a really good time as well. I got to meet a lot of listeners and I appreciate that. It's always fun.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: They're on eleven Street in the Heights and if you haven't been by, you need to go. You need to go check out Buchanan's Native Plants. They specialize in natives, but they don't just sell natives. While they have one of the largest native selections you're going to find anywhere, you also are going to find houseplants and herbs and vegetables and flowers and things for shady areas, and they you know, the shrubs, trees, vines. I was taking some pictures of some go fritillary butterflies that were laying their eggs on some of the passion vines that they had there. Kind of cool. You're going to find microlife products, Nature's way, resources, heirlooms, soils, landscaper's pride, and then those fertilizers you hear me talk about here on guard Line. They're all there at Nature's excuse me, at Buchanans Native Plants. When you go to Buchanans, allow yourself some time so you can go around and visit with some of the folks there. They have some of the most knowledgeable staff and that is so important when you want to have success with your plants. Buchanans is on Eleventh Street in the Heights. The website Buchanansplants dot com Buchanansplants dot com. Go to the website and check out the educational till they have there's excellent. Also, subscribe to their newsletter. It is excellent and I would highly recommend that you take care of that already. Let's see, We're gonna go now to Ed in Conroe. Well, Hello, Ed, and welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 11: Than y uh looky show.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 11: I was going to get with you for the last couple of seasons I've had. When I plant my college greens, I was gonna plan a few here forwards here soon. And I have little bugs that eat I mean they just eat them down to the to the tub. And I've tried every I'm going to the hardware store and asked for ay and told you this is that seven done field. I have not I have not had. The first year I grew up, I had some many I couldn't couldn't give away. And the last two seasons, the age been just divided by the pest.
Speaker 2: Okay, so are you seeing the pists?
Speaker 11: You think now they're a little bitty I mean okay, topic, I mean they will. Yeah, they just like you took the whole punch. It just punched every every leaf.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a beetle. Then uh uh and and it's uh it's probably the yellow margin leaf beetle. But it really doesn't matter which one it is. And there's there's two approaches in the future. When you're gonna plant, I would put a row cover over the planting after the seeds are in, and you you can use a little bit piece of PVC to hold it up, kind of make a hoop of tunnel going down the row. And that roe cover is very very light, very very fine textured spun bound polyester. So I is tell people that are have kids raising kids that it's like the stuff lining a disposable baby diaper. If you've ever looked in at gloves or Huggies or Pampers or something, there's the absorbent material, but then there's something that's right up against the baby, and that literally is the same material. A company that makes I think it's Pampers also makes one of the commercial road covers the same thing. But anyway, that's like putting a screen porch over it so the bugs can't get in. Now that you've got them in, you you know, you don't put a roll cover that's just trapping them inside. I would get a product containing spinosaid, and I will spell that out. It's spi no sad, yeah, spino said, And so I'm going to have to run to a break here ed. But that comes in many brands. It's easy to find, and it kills anything that's chewing on your plants. It's also an organic product.
Speaker 11: Okay, And where would I get that any.
Speaker 2: Any garden center, Ace hardware store, any place like that. Spinosa. Yeah, all right, take care, Yeah all right, folks. I'm sorry I had to run some fast, but we got to go to a break. I'll be right back if you would like to give me a call. Seven to one three two one two k t L right seven one three two one two k t R eight. I was checking out some of the heirloom soil products the other day, and you know, there's a number of them that I've used, and every time I use one, I find it to be very successful for my succulents that we're repotting a while back, Cactus and succulent. That is the one that is very gritty and it drains super extra well, and it's good for those plants that don't want to have wet soil. It just drains well. The Works potting soil. Visiting with someone the other day telling them they have said, what what potting soil do you recommend? I said, well, get the works. It's good and it's easy, it's very well made. I use it for a lot of my indoor potting.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: The roses in Bloomers Blend is just one of those good multipurpose soils. It says roses on it and bloomers. But I would use it for if I was doing a bed, you know, just for a lot of different kinds of blooming things. It would be an excellent choice. One of my favorite products they have is a veggie and herb mix. Veggie and herb is kind of a standard for any kind of gardens like that. I put it in my vego raised beds, I put it in the ground. I've mixed it into the soil itself, just to enhance the soil, kind of give it an extra boost. And you know, I could sit here just talking on and on all day because they have so many products. Fruit Berry and citrus mix, the landscape mix, expanded shale, expanded shell with compost. You see what I'm saying, age, leap, mole, compost, They got it all. Airloom Soils is available to many many garden centers. If you want to go online and see more, I would highly recommend you do that. Go to heirloomsoils dot com. Heirloomsoils dot com. You can learn about these products. You can find out where to get them. If you live in Timbuctu there's gonna be someplace near you who that rhymes that is going to carry heirloom soils, and I highly recommend them because I've used them and they work. Soil so a brand stuff before green stuff. Right, If you want to have success with plants, you fix the foundation and then you put the plant in it. And fixing the foundation means you put the nutrients that they need, You put the organic matter, you improve the drainage, you do all those things that you need to do. By the way, D and D Feed in Tomball, I don't want to forget this. D and D Feed in Tomball is having a kind of a celebration. I'm gonna tell you about it in just a little bit. First, I want to just tell you what D and D feed is. For those of you who haven't that out there to see it. D and D Feed is your hometown feed store. It's on the west side of Tombull, the west side as you're going out twenty nine to twenty. You are going to find when you go there, the fertilizers. I talk about the soils, I talk about high quality and really high quality dog food, and of course it's a feed store. They got animal food they got dog food, they got all those kinds of things. But D and D Feed is always a place that you know when you go, you're going to get quality products and you're going to get treated right. They're gonna carry your bags out for you if you need to do that, They're happy to do that. They will take care of you at D and D Feed. I did want to mention while we were talking about D and D Feed that they've expanded their store. They did this god so summer or more ago, and it's just even better. The selection, the supplies, everything is just outstanding there at D and DE Feed. I hope that you will check them out.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: The last time I was in there visiting, I was going and check on them periodically, see how they're doing, what's going on out there. When you head into D and D Feed, what you're going to find is everything you're looking for and people that know what they're talking about. If you've got some pest issue or a weed issue or something like that that is difficult, you know, difficult to manage, go into D and D and talk to Jeff, talk to some of the folks there, and you're going to be really surprised at the kinds of products they have that you're not going to find in a lot of other places, and that is well worth, as I say, the price of admission to be able to get that kind of service. All Right, Well, I'm gonna let's see here. We're going to head out to northwest Houston and talk to Ed. Hey, Ed, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Hey bout them about Hello, yes, sir, about some sedge hammer.
Speaker 8: And I want to know what's the best way to apply it, whether it's early morning or does it matter what time of day? And I believe you told me something about maybe putting a little water on before I applied. I need to refresh your course on it.
Speaker 2: Okay. So the only thing about putting water on is if you've got stressed weeds of any kind with any herbicide, you want to get those weeds actively growing because that allows the herbicide to move in and be taken up. If the weeds are stressed, they're not likely to take up the herbicide as well. Okay, so that would be the only thing about watering. The time of day doesn't matter with sedge hammer, Okay. I would you know it's got a does it say Is it just sedge hammer or is it such hammer two or such hummer plus or any kind of things like that.
Speaker 8: I think it's got an X on it or something. I bought it at Southward.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's it.
Speaker 8: This is the one that has just a fact and then yes.
Speaker 2: It's got the surround. Okay, that's critical, especially for a slick weed like nuts edge. Yep, you don't have to do anything else and just mix it up according to the label, spray it on the weeds. It's not gonna hurt your lawn. I would do it in the morning myself, just because it's cooler, more pleasant to be out, and it's always better to apply her. Besides earlier in the day, just because if there were a risk of some kind of damage, it's going to be decreased, you know, to a lawn or something. But with sedge hammer, you don't have to worry about that much. Okay.
Speaker 8: Well, I bought two applications because I figured as much of it as I have, I'll need that second application. How far in between applications would you say I need to be concerned?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, be patient. Sedgehammer takes a while to show that it's doing anything. It's going to take you a couple of weeks and before you really see okay, I think it is taking these weeds down. So I would say probably about six weeks. If you needed to reply it, I would. I would give it some time. Here's the problem with this time of year. You've got winter coming on, and so six weeks from now you're not going to have a real, actively growing nuts edge plant most.
Speaker 8: Likely, right, And if I don't do a good job of eradicating, Now, when do I expect to see it come back at me again?
Speaker 2: Well, to the degree you don't control it, it is reproducing and you're getting more and more daughter plants, so it will be back in the spring. But if you had one, let's just say you had only one nutsedge plan in your yard right now, when it comes out in the spring with new growth, you need to hit it right down or by May you're going to have eight times that much nuts edge. And that's that's that reproductive potential. I put something on my website, the website's gardening with skip dot com, and it's a thing. It says nuts edge a closer look or I can't remember what I called it, but it's a thing on nuts edge, and if you will read it, it explains some of that how the weed itself is working and therefore how you have to go about controlling it.
Speaker 8: Okay, yeah, I found out how it worked in my bed year before last, and I dug it out fain by vain, and I've also applied some fedge hamming. Boy it worked fine, but you can't do it in Saint Augustine. Yeah, yeah, okay, okay, all right, I read read Thank you sir.
Speaker 2: All right, good luck with that. I appreciate, appreciate that very much. I was talking about D and D a second ago. D and D on Saturday the nineteenth of October from eleven am to two pm is having their thirty fifth anniversary Saturday, the nineteenth of October, eleven to two They're gonna have lunch, They're gonna have prizes, they're gonna have specials. I mean, they have giveaways from a dozen different places that they're going to be providing. That will be a great day to go buy D and D thirty fifth anniversary. By the way, congratulations, folks. That is an accomplishment. His family owned operation just keeps getting better. Saturday the nineteenth, eleven to two their shin Dig out there in d and de Feed. Well. I hear music, so I'm gonna have to go to music Freedom when we come back. You will be our first up. I just want to remind you that today after the show, from eleven thirty to one thirty, I'm gonna be at Nature's Way Resources. I'll be there from eleven thirty two one thirty answering your gardening questions.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Scip Richard.
Speaker 3: It's just watch him as set.
Speaker 2: All right, folks, we're back. Welcome back. Good to have you with us today. Hey, I was talking earlier about some things I wanted to mention on the air about soil and beds and things. If you are wanting to do a vegetable garden or a flower bed, or if you've never had one you want to build one, or if you have one and you want to replant, always remember to take your the soil by adding compost with each transition. Every time I pull out a section of flowers and replant, I put in about an inch of compost and mix it into the soil. And that's assuming that I had good soil to begin with. You know, if you're going into a poor soil spot and you're trying to create a bed, you need a lot more than that, but at least keep its bruced up, if you will. In that way in the vegetable garden, I'm always adding to the soil. Always improve in the soil, because with each transition it just gets better and better and better. And so keep that in mind. If you're building a soil that is for a let's say a long term plant, let's say a rose bush for example. You can't lift the rose up and put compost in and put the rose back down every year. That's ridiculous. You wouldn't do that. But you can start off with a good quality rose soil blend. But also mixing some expanded shale down into the clay soil is very helpful, and it takes about three inches to make a signal magnificant difference immediately to a clay soil. If it's a soil that you're going to be working over the time, you can just keep adding expanded show it sticks around while compost decomposes away. But expanded jail is one of your tricks for having success in clay by opening that clay up. But it's not just a little sprinkling of expanded shell. Put two or three inches on there and work them in deeply to get the good effect. Let's go now to Frida and Pasadena and Hello Frida, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 13: Thank you. Got another question about my hibistus plant. It is just loaded with beds. It's in a pot and it's just loaded with beds. And one morning I worked up and they had all dropped off under the ground. So I was wondering what I did wrong? Did I water too much, not enough? Or is something bothering it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the tropical hibiscus, the kind with all the beautiful colors of flowers. Or is that the perennial one that basically comes in white, pink, and red.
Speaker 13: It's red. I think the blooms are red.
Speaker 2: Or the blooms the size of a dinner plate or are they more like the size of your your fester a little bigger than your fest Right, that's it, Okay, it could be. It could be any kind of a stress, A drought stress, a temporary drought stress can do that. Any issue that stresses the plant, you know, soggy wet conditions, stress, a plant. It could also be there's some insects that can cause that, and then certainly certain temperature things can cause trouble with those tropical biscuits keeping their blooms. But I think if I were you, I would just watch the sole moisture, try to keep it evenly moist. Is this plant and a container or the ground? If you said it, I.
Speaker 13: Missed that it's in a container.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Well, in a container it's easier to you know, if the draining tools are plugged, it's easy to have soggy conditions, and in a container in general, it's easier to have dry conditions because the roots are confined to just the soil in that container. So I'm going to guess that it may be a soul moisture, but there could be insects involved, But I would just watch and see how they do. I think as you give it care and give it good sunlight, you should see it recuperate and give you a few more balloons before things cool off too much.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well it's I got it on the front porch, and not on the porch but the front and so it gets plenty of sun you know, water morning. But maybe I'm not giving it a nut.
Speaker 2: I don't know, well, you know, it's it's hard to quantify and say how much I give it. I water mine until the water comes out the bottom of the of the container, and then don't don't water a little while. But that would be my best recommendation for you. I wouldn't fertilize it at this time. Wait until next spring, and then we'll begin fertilized and that thing again.
Speaker 13: Okay, okay, Sarah, thank you.
Speaker 2: So much, you bet, thank you, Fred. I appreciate the call. RCW Nursery is the garden center that is there where Tomball Parkway two forty nine comes into about what a eight and RCW is They always have stuff going up right now. They're lantana's or gorgeous and you ought to see the bees and the pollinators and things, the butterflies visiting the lantana's. I got some lantana's from RCW, and oh my gosh, I look out the window and it's just there's all kinds of different unusual butterflies that I haven't seen before that are on those plants. They really really like those rcw's loaded on croton. So you talk about the color of fall, they've got it. Do you need vegetables for the cool season, you know, leafy greens, root vets, all those kinds of things, they got them. They still have their sale on trees fifteen percent off all trees. You can buy something a fifteen gallon size so you can take it on planet yourself, or you can get all the way up to two hundred gallons. By the way, RCW can come out and plant for you. They can do that. They can provide you the products you want to put down when you're doing the planting, and certainly the advice they know about trees. They grow their own trees. Basically, that's essentially what's going on there. Beautiful moms, very pretty mums that RCW color everything you need. So fall is the time to plant, especially roses and woody ornamentals and citrus. By the way, they have citrus that already have froot on them. This is the time to get it planted. So let's get that done now. Go out to RCW Nursery, take advantage of the sales that they have going on on trees and shrubs, and I think you will be very pleased with the results there. Again. RCW Nursries Dot com is a way website. They're located where Tomball Parkway high Way two forty nine comes at about way eight. I talk about the importance of the brown stuff all the time, and if you are south of Houston, Cienamultch is the premiere place to go to get everything you need for the soil, which I refer to as the brown stuff. Premium hardwood mulches to go on top of the soil, native hardwood, double ground mulches, two inch screen mulches, just wonderful, a bulk of Landscaper's Pride, black velvet, of rose, soil, of organic compost, of sand, gravel stone. They deliver within twenty miles for a small fee. And then if it's fertilizer, part of the brown stuff, microlife Asamite, Nelson's, the heirloom soils, nitrophoss, Landscaper's Pride medina, they have it all at Siena, Maltz. They are on FM five point twenty one just north of Roe Sharon Highway six and two eighty eight. Cienamalts dot com. Time for me to go to a quick break. When we come back, Beth, you will be our first up. No sweltering heat today. You hear me talk about Southwest Fertilizer all the time, and it's because I am so impressed with that place. You know, sometimes you run around town, you're looking for this, you're looking for that, and you go here and they don't have it, and you go there and they don't have it. Sallos Fertilizer has everything you could possibly need when it comes to controlling pests, controlling diseases, controlling weeds, fertilizing your lawn or your flower beds or your vegetables. Tools. Eighty foot wall of tools there. That's a lot of tools. And my little skipsweedwiper thing that I put online at gardening with skip dot com. They have the regular weed wiper itself with the little suction cups on it. They've got those so you can build your own. And the instructions are right there on the web for free. The instructions are for free on the web. You can't beat that. Southwest Fertilizer has been a tradition in Houston since nineteen fifty five. I mean they've been They've been a sponsored garden line since back in the Dewey Compton days before I was even called garden line. Every fertilizer I talk about is there. So go get your fall fertilizer. Go get any kinds of pre emergent weed control that you need, any kinds of disease control for your lawn. You can find them all right there at Southwest Southwest Fertilizer dot Com. That's the website, the location corner of Bissinette and Runwick in southwest Houston. Save yourself all the driving around everywhere and just go to Southwest and get what you need. I'm going to head out to tom Ball down and talk to Beth. Hey, Beth, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 14: Hi Ski, Good morning, Skiff, Thank you so much for taking my call. We have some property. It's actually out and through all Texas, so it's like thee often and at College Station, undeveloped. But we have planted five apple trees out there and so far they're doing fairly well. We've had a little bit of issue with you know, just bugs and all that kind of stuff, so we've been working with that. But right now what we're concerned about is there is so much sticker birr we all around the trees and it makes it hard to manage it.
Speaker 13: All.
Speaker 14: We were just wondering, is there anything we can do to get rid of those sticker birds without herding the tree?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 15: Uh?
Speaker 2: Now is this a grass burr that you're talking about?
Speaker 14: Yes, yes, you know, like those prickly things just walk through the grass and it's I think it's all coastal kind of grass in there that we want to keep.
Speaker 8: But the weedy.
Speaker 2: Stuff is you know, the the weedy stuff kind of blends in a sense. It's a grass and it's growing, growing in the grass. Yeah, is that right? Okay? All right, So here's what you need to do as far as killing it right now. No, because if you kill the grass burr, you kill the grass the bermuda that you have there. Now, fruit trees hate to have grass as a competition. So if you could give them as wide of a bed of weed free soil as possible and moult it really well, they will do ten times better for you. Plus it keeps the lawnmower and weed eat are away from the trunk. But that is the first thing I would do, is kill everything there. I mean, you could use a general purpose killer, or you could use a grass only killer. If you go to my website Gardening with Skip there's a publication on it says herbicides for the weed wiper, but it talks about different herbicides for each kind of plant. And there's like three different options for grass control around your plants. And you're kind of you're located close to plants for all seasons there, and I know they carry these here in plant rail seasons. You can just pick some up when you're back this way or when you're home, but follow the label now going forward next spring, same website, gardening with skip dot com. I have my lawn care schedule, okay, and I know you're not trying to grow a lawn there, But on the lawn care schedule and on the disease excuse me, insect disease and weed schedule, that's a separate one. You're going to find things to take care of turf grasses and also to prevent the problems. And in February is when you put down a pre emergent herbicide like barricade to shut down grass bur when it tries to get started. So I would do it in late February and your area, and then I would do it again about sixty to ninety days later because grasspur will continue to germinate on through the summer. But those two pre emergent applications is how you're going to get it out of all the area. And I talked about killing it around, killing everything around the trees to have the trees not have that competition, but have nice mulch. And then the pre emergent in spring to kill the grassberg before the seeds can establish.
Speaker 14: All right, yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Perfect, All right, thank you appreciate that. Now on garden line, I don't charge for advice, but I do ask you to bring me half the apples when you get production, to drop them off the studio. We'll call it even well, take.
Speaker 11: Care, very fruitful.
Speaker 14: So yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, you take care. I appreciate that. Yeah, I mentioned plans for all seasons. They're right there on Highway to forty nine, just north of Luetta. Two forty nine is Tomball Parkway. So you're going from Houston toward Tomball exit Luetta crossover Luetta and it's right there, right hand side of two forty nine, easy to get to. It's a family owned rated business since nineteen seventy three. They are lawn and garden experts, you know, and When someone like Beth walks in there and says I've got grass burs how to prevent them, They'll walk you right to the wall and give you the product you need to use that's going to be effective against them. Because they're experts. You can bring in samples. You know, I'm trying to figure out what kind of burr weed is it. Just bring a sample in or bring a picture in and they can help you with that. As they like to say, they're at Plants for all seasons. Get your green on at Plants for all seasons. Highway two forty nine just north of Lueta. Plants for all seasons. Dot com Plants for all seasons dot com Just talking about, excuse me, making sure you get your weed control things and your disease control and insects and things like that. Nitrophos's three step kind of covers everything you need for fall for your lawn. And here's the thing, and fall we fertilize with a different blend of fertilizer. Nitrophos calls it the Fall Special Winter Riser, and it's made for our climate, for our soils, and for the way our grasses warm season grasses here in Texas, the way they take up there and when they take up their nutrients, it is a perfect fertilizer for doing that. They also have step two of their three step is barricade to prevent weed seeds from germinating. I was just telling Beth the BARRICADEI stop grassbers applied in spring. Well, now you're putting barricade down to prevent all the cool season weeds chick weed and clover and hen bet and carpet weed and cleavers, and they're just unfortunately, we have a whole lot of them out there in the yard that we have to prevent. And then nitrofoss Turf Eagle is a fungicide that's step three, and turf Eagle put down ahead of time, just like we put herbicides that are pre emergent down ahead of weed germination, ahead of disease appearance. We put down eagle turf fungicide. It soaks end of the tissue, so when brown patch tries to make circles in your lawn it can't. It prevents take all root rot from getting the upper hand infecting and getting the upper hand on your turf as well. Three steps nitroposs, three steps fall special barricade and eagle turf fungicide. You can find it at Bearings Hardware. You can find it at all spa Ace in the woodlands. You're going to find it at Lake Hardware in Angleton and in Lake Jackson, and you can also find it at RCYW Nursery. Widely available night Foss products makes it easy to do. You were listening to Guardline our phone number seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. I was discussing the preventing weeds for fall. I've been noticing around town a blooming weed. That is it's not a cool season, it's a summer weed, but when we get to fall, it blooms, and that weed is a problem. It's called aster. Sometimes it's called roadside aster or black land aster. There's a lot of different asters out there. There's even ornamental asters we plan on purpose in our gardens. But this roadside aster, this black land aster, is a problem. You will notice it in the lawns that are drought stressed. The lawn is basically brown and the aster is a blue green color. It's kind of like you know broccoli and cabbage, that blue green color, but even darker than that. And you may see it all through a lawn, but I in my lawn it's green. And I got a neighbor that has a weedy lawn and they don't control them, and so the weeds end up coming over to my side, and I'm always having to deal with it over there. But you see these little, tiny, let's say, dime size kind of white to light leavin under blooms that look like little daisy flowers, little skinny daisy flowers. That is fall aster, and it's blooming now. Now. Just to give you some advice and prove the fact that I'm a gardening nerd, one year, I picked a past bloom astor blossom that already had seeds, and I opened it up and I counted the seeds, and there are fifty seeds in that thing. Now, Astor can form clumps on your lawn as big as a steerwool of your car. And I saw plants that had almost one hundred blooms on them. Fifty times one hundred is five thousand. If you leave, you're blooming asters there in the lawn, five thousand potential new plants are being left to come back next year. Have I made a point. Yes, I hope I have get rid of it. Don't You're not going to spray it now with a post emergent herbicides too late. It is too late when weeds become reproductive, meaning they're blooming in setting seats, too late to do the post emergence. But you got to get it done. And I get out and I hand pull it. At this stage, hand pulling it. An area as big as a steer roll in your car could just be one plant with one taproot coming out of the ground. If the soil's not wet, water it, get it wet, soften the soil and you can reach down and find the words coming out of the ground and just you grab it. And I kind of wiggle my hand back and forth because I don't want to just break it off. But if you wiggle back and forth as you're pulling it, it comes right out of the ground pretty easy, really very easy. And I have five gallon bucket and I just kind of hands and knees in it there. But if you stay with it like that, you can prevent it. If you don't remember the reproductive potential of that plant, it'll be worse next year by far. If you don't get the blooms and seeds out now, don't wait too long, because after it's bloomed a while, then as you're trying to pull it up, you're knocking seeds loose from the plant. So word of the wise, hope hopefully that's helpful for you. I've talked a lot about fertilizing in the fall. You know, Azamite is the product that we put down for micronutrients, and I anytime you're adding nutrients, you can call that fertilizing. Okay. I like to refer to asamite as building the soil bank account because when I say fertilized, you think it's going to make my plants grow, And fertilizer does primarily because of the nitrogen in it that boosts that growth. Asumite, you put it down, and it's not going to make your lawn grow and change, you know, like you gave it a boost. What it's going to do is get in the soil and all those nutrients needed in trace amounts are there and the plant can take them up and they're essential for gro You put your fertilizer down and you don't have micro nutrients in the soil, plants can't grow. Hazem enables that hazmite Texas dot Com is a website. It's widely available. You're going to find it all kinds of places. And guess what's time for me to quit talking? Turn the mic over to the news. I'll be right back. All right, folks, welcome back to Guardline. Glad you're with us today. What do you want to talk about? You got some questions, you got something you want identified, or maybe some suggestions for a particular area of the garden or landscape. Give me a call seven one three two one two K T R H. I'll be happy to help.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: Speaking of happy to help. B and B turf Pros is your go to place for compost, top dressing and cor aeration of your lawns and manda. They do good work. I love BMB because of every aspect of that company, from the fact that they are about customer satisfaction. They are it matters to them. It's not just we did something, give me the money, I'm leaving I'll see you sometimes. No, it's it's they care that you're satisfied, and they care that they do a good job and go to their website bb turf Pros dot com b B turfpros dot com. Check out the work that they do. Now they're located kind of south in a little to the west of the Houston area, and they serve that area because you know, when you're hauling a bunch of compost around, you got very expensive equipment coming in to do quality aeration and quality compost top dressing. You just can't it's not worth it driving all over the creation to do it. So Siena malt Or Siena, Texas, Missouri City, sugar Land that's kind of the far western end and the eastern end pair Land, and then all the things in between, Iowa Colony and Arcola and Manville and Fresno and parts of Houston, South Houston, so weth Houston down there to bbturf pros dot com. Go look at that, check out the website, look at the gallery, look at the work they do. They go above and beyond to make sure number one, that they make a customer connection, but make sure you're happy and they use only the products that I recommend here on garden Line, like for example, CNA malts, the quality mulches and quality composts and things from Cnamulch. That's what they use at BnB turf Pros. So from the top to bottom, from customer service to quality materials to quality work to you being happy, that's BnB turf Pros. That's what they do. Here's a phone number seven to one three two three four fifty five ninety eight seven one three two three four five five nine eight. If your lawn has been struggling this summer, there's no single better thing you can do. Then get a good good aeration and a compost stop dressing on top of that lawn. And people sometimes will ask me questions like well do I fertilize before or after that? It kind of a matter whichever way you want to go about it. You can do either way. If that if you were you going to do your typical lawn fertilizing, just do it when you want to do it, and don't worry about the compas stop dressing and aeration timing. It is sudden matter, all right, This as simple as that. Well, we're going to run out to the phones now. We're going to talk to Joan in Baycliffe. Hey, Joan, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 16: Good morning.
Speaker 7: My question is I have been in this home for thirty years, and two years ago I noticed a new It looked like a kind of leafy fence climbing plant that wasn't too big a nuisance. But over the past two years it is just rampant. And I think it's cucumber weed. That's what my little plant app told me that it was. And I'm trying to get rid of it. And it is the healthiest thing I've.
Speaker 15: Seen, but I haven't had it, okay.
Speaker 7: Years and years and years.
Speaker 2: Okay, So is it? Is it in your lawn too, or just flower beds or where are you seeing that?
Speaker 7: No, it grows up the fence line and it it acts like an ivy and it'll get on any plant that's there and just totally cover it, just you know, kind of build a little kent over it. Yeah, Well, got a bear like a berry looking. I guess that's the seed. It doesn't blue, it doesn't green green green, and the seed is green too. Quite it looks like a little green berry on it.
Speaker 2: All right, you know what, I can give you some suggestions, but let's do this. Will you send me some pictures of it so I can look and make sure that my answer is accurate. I'm going to put you on hold in just second and Crystal pick it up, and he will give you an email to send me. Make sure the pictures are in good our focus. Maybe one of the whole thing, the whole vine on the fence, and then some close up so the berries that are in focus and the leaves that are in focus, and I can tell you what to do, my quitte. My hesitation right now is this is this an annual or perennial uh And and so if we can determine that my suggestion for control is going to vary a little bit.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, I'll be happy to do that.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm putting a whole crystal picket right up and we'll be on our way. Thanks for that call. Uh. Jorge is Hidden Gardens down in Alvin, Texas. Is your hometown garden center down south of Houston there. Uh always has good things coming into the place. He's got a lot of good fruit trees in you know. He always is centrus, and he's got things like peaches and whatnot. U and their quality and you fallow as the time to plant them. Don't wait till late winter to plant. If you can get a plant now and get it in the ground. Get it in the ground now. Now's a good time to do that.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: He always has good shrubs and trees too, outstanding and some huge ones as well, and he'll come out and plant them for you. Just it's just part of the due part of the negotiation of it's actually not a negotiation. But you know, you buy the plant, you say, well, I need you to come out and plant it. Okay, this Swiss going to cost and have him come out and do that. He does a good job of it. And Jorge is just continuing to expand you know, his garden center now carries the tree stabilizer, So if you get a tree, you got to get a tree stabilizer to hold it in place until it gets its root system well established. All at Jorgeshiad and Gardens. Now his fall hours are He's closed on Mondays, so be closed after this weekend first day, and then Tuesday through Friday nine to three, Saturday and Sunday eight to four. So nine to three during the week Tuesday through Friday, and then we're going to add an hour on each end eight to four on Saturday and on Sunday seventeen seven twenty one Elizabeth Street and Texas, just south of Highway six Jorges Hidden Gardens. We're going to go now to Larry and sugar Land. Hello Larry, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 5: Good morning. I've got some boxwoods that are deciding to die on me. You know, they started getting yellow and then it becomes they're going.
Speaker 2: Mhm okay, Well, boxwoods have a lot of problems. I am becoming less and less a fan of boxwoods just due to some of the issues that they have in the soil. Nematodes attack the roots make them very inefficient. I posted something to Facebook Guardline Facebook. A good while back. I dug some out in front of my house that I didn't plant. Their previous owner planet I'm full of nematodes. They have some soil borne diseases with fungal wilts is what they are. They get in the room in the plumbing of the plant and they cause it to decline. If you're looking at your plants over this progression, does it start off with like one branch goes down and then other branches or does the whole bush go down to kind of together at one time. No, it's progressive, aggressive, okay, Yeah, it could be those sections that are like that. Take a knife and as they're dying before they're dry and dead and everything's brown, slice through the bark vertically, in other words, the length of the direction of the branch, and look underneath the surface. And if you see streaking of brown and gray, that kind of thing that is a fusarium or verticillium type of wilt that is affecting them. If you don't look down and look for splits or cankers on the branch. So you got a green bush and over this branch is now dying. Follow the dying down to where it joins the healthy and there should be a canker or something right there. Larry, I'm gonna have to run to a break on this. If you want to hang on, I'll come back to you when we come back. I just leave. Yeah, let's just leave it that way and I'll be right back. All right, folks, Just hang on a second. We'll be right back. Guardline. Folks. Good have you with us. We have a lot to talk about and lots of folks to talk to as well. Hey, I want to remind you I'm going to be at Nature's way resources today from eleven thirty to one thirty, part of their Fall Festival. Fall Festival runs from nine in the morning till two pm. I hope you'll come out. It's free to get in. You're gonna have Latin food, You're gonna have local vendors. There's gonna be plant sales out there, live music, and plenty for kids to do, lots of children's activities. Again. I'll be there eleven thirty to one thirty answering your gardening questions. Everybody up in that whole direction, come on out and see me. I don't care if you live in Timbuck two, if you drive, come on out and see me. Bring your samples, bring them in a plastic bag, let me look at them, bring me photos to look at. However you want to go about it. We will get your garden questions answered and on the air. I have to kind of move fast, talk to us, meet people as I can. But when I'm there live you got me. I had I, so come on out. Let's spend some time like that. I wanted to mention that Wildbirds still has their annual feeder swap at all six locations. What does that mean? That means you find some feeder. You get one of your feeders, it's just falling apart, and no matter what condition it is, you bring it in. Twenty percent off a new feeder when you trade in an old feeder, and they mean any feeder. Now that's at all six Wildbirds locations. You can go online to WBU dot com wb U dot com, Forward Slash Houston, Forward Slash Houston. You'll find the six Wallbird stores. There's one near you. And when you go in there, in fact, I need to get back. I just use up the last of my birds. C putting some seed in my feeders and my mother in law's feeders. Yeah, I'm in charge of stocking those two U and Wilbirds has a best seed. When I say best, I mean there's no junk. When you buy a pound of wildbird seed, you get a pound of stuff that goes into a bird stummy. That's how that works. As opposed to getting kicked on the ground like cheap bird seeds often do wilbirds unlemited. Check them out. I'm gonna run back. Now. We were we were talking to Larry over about some box woods, and Larry, uh, you do, I would do that slicing and if you see the brown streaking in there, Uh, that is a soil disease. You can't do anything about uh. And so you just have to plant something other than boxwood in that area. If you were to wash out some roots and you see and you see knots and root.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's the reason I wanted to hang on UH. In the in the backyard, for example, we have some sunshine and la gustum that have done very well. But you know this is the front of the house where it's it's shaded. And so, yes, you got any suggestions for something that would replace the box foods.
Speaker 2: Uh. Dwarfyophon does pretty good in a shaded area. It's a native plant to our area and so it does pretty good. But it likes sun. But it'll put up with a little bit of shade. If how tall can the plant be? What's the top height in this for you? Limits it a lot. There are some hollies that are compact, but two foot is pretty low. Uh, So that that would be that would be an option. You might go with a taller groundcover if you're just looking for dark uh. The asparagus, fern, the foxtail types, they'll put up with some shade and they they stay down low. Uh, that would be one you might want to consider. But the other thing on the box would before we go, and I need to run to some other calls here, But before we go, the plant clinic at Texas A and M can analyze a plant and tell you what's wrong with it and what to do about it. And so we could sit here and guess, or you could, you know, cut it open and look and stuff. If you've got a plant that's dying, if you could dig it up, it still needs to be alive. In other words, it needs to be sick, not dead. Uh. And you you can drive it up to College Station or or you know from your area. You may want to mail it, but you go to plant Clinic dot T A m U, dot E ed U. Now they're going to charge a fee for that analysis, like any clinic would. But if you've got a whole bunch of them, it's very expensive to replace all those plants, so that fee is probably well worth it for you to consider. And Larry, I'm sorry to have to run, but I need to need to head out.
Speaker 5: That's fine, I'll consider doing that. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, all right, sir, thank you, thanks for the call. Appreciate that you know. Microlife fertilizer has all these options, both dry granular fertilizers like their brown Patch and liquid fertilizers. There's a seaweed, there's a fish emulsion type. There's one called biomatrix. It's outstanding. When you get Microlife products, you get microbes loaded in them, and microbes good microbes help fight back bad microbes. They're one of the many factors that we put together to create plant health. And so for example, I would put down the brown patch now it's time. That's their fall fertilizer. It is loaded with microbes that help outcompete the brown patch on your turf. I would also put out micro Grow bioanoculant. That's a maroon colored bag, a burgundy colored bag. Micro Grow bio inoculant, sixty three different strains beneficial microbes. And I could spend the rest of today's show just talking about each of these strains and how they work to help your plants. It is very very effective micro Grow Biinoculant and micro Microlife brown Patch. Now's the time to buy them, Now's the time to get them on widely available. Ace hardware stores Southwest fertilizer, your garden centers and nurseries we talk about on garden Line. Feed stores. Micro life products are widely available, easy to find. I'm going to head out to Mac in Jersey Village. Hey Mac, Welcome to garden Line. How can I help? Oh, good morning.
Speaker 17: About six months ago I started about eight hundred square foot area with San Augustine. A couple of months ago, started seeing brown patch. I put down a layer of compost top dressing from Nature's White. Seemed to help, but now it's come back week ago. I don't know if I did the right thing, but anyway, I sprayed with a hose and spray with bio advanced fungus control for lawns. And then last week I heard you talk about the natural foss eagle. So yeah, I'm wondering can I put down the egle today because it's it's it's just just not I'm just not seeing anything any results.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 2: Uh, And to manage a brown patch, you need to avoid over watering. Can't control the rain, but avoid over watering and avoid over fertilizing with nitrogen, which is important. Uh. You if you used you said what did you say, Uh, the it was what was the product you put on boid Advanced? I yeah, yeah, I think that has propacannasole in it, which is effective against brown patch. Uh. The eagle is also effective, So you may want to just try that as an extra if it is just out of control. But just remember every area that's already brown is going to be brown till spring. You can't turn those around. Okay, okay, all right.
Speaker 5: All right, I'll see you.
Speaker 2: All right, take this way in, all right, I hope, so come on out. Yeah, look forward to that. Thanks a lot. We're going to have to go to a break or sherry. Hang on just a minute. I'm going to try to get through the producer I think an answer to your question, and if that doesn't solve it, I'll talk to you when we get back after the top of the hour. News here, just hang on for me one second. I want to remind everybody that I am going to be at Nature's Way Resources today from eleven thirty to one thirty as part of their Fall Festival. I officially designated this as a shindig. Shindig is an important word you need to have in your vocabulary that means we're going to have fun Latin food, plant sales, live music, kids activities. There'll be lots of venders there, and I'll be there answering your gardening questions, diagnosing. I even have some good handouts. They're going to give away one hundred and fifty dollars gift certificate and some bags of their fine leaf mole compost.
Speaker 1: To Katie r h Garden Line with Skip Rickards.
Speaker 3: Just watch him as well.
Speaker 2: Let's just jump right back in here and get going again. We got a lot to talk about, so touch base on a few things for you. I wanted to I haven't talked about Moss Nursery a lot lately, and I really wanted to mention that it is a destination place that you have to go. I don't care where you live. And I really mean that. You know, I talk about gardening tourism all the time, and uh, this would be an example. You know, Houston here, we've got garden centers north, south, east, West, Central, I mean, really, we do garden centers that are worth taking your family to when they visit town. And certainly if you're a gardener, worth visiting, Moss is down there in Seabrook, Texas. It's on Toddville Road in Seabrook. Anyone who lives in that region knows about Moss because it's been there a long time. A family garden center that is just a wonderland. It's you go and wander through and every time you turn a corner you see stuff you've never seen before, as well as all the familiar things that you're looking for. You know when you go to Moss Nursery you're going to find their houseplant greenhouse is incredible, incredible. Whether you like succulents or tropical foliage or whatever, they've got it. When you go to Moss Nursery, they're containers. They every where you go there's piles of all kinds of unique, cool containers that you can put your plants in. That is a lot of fun just picking out something new to try out. Good supply of vegetables, good supply of annual color are for fall color right now. They are ready to go. They are loaded up and ready to go. Trees, shrubs, fruit, trees, anything you can imagine, not Moss Nursery is going to have it. And so if you're looking for a special host plant for maybe a room that's a little on the dark side and you need something that can put up with a little less light. Go by there and check it out. If you need any kind of products and supplies, they are stocked up as well. But when it comes to fall falls for planting, and Moss Nursery is forgetting everything that you need to plant again. Moss Nursery dot com on Toddville Road in Seabrook. If you've never been there before, Hey, today be a good day this afternoon for an outing to run by Moss Nursery and check them out. I always like going in there. Jim goes on these trips and brings all kinds of stuff back, and there's no telling what you're going to find at Moss Nurse. I'm serious. Do you need a totem pole with carved faces in it? Yeah, they got those as well as everything else. It's kind of cool. I was talking about Ace hardware earlier and the fact that they have plenty of fire at baits available. You know, when we approach fire ants season, and this is a big fire ant season, you want to knock them down going into the winter. That's important. It gives you an upper hand coming out in spring, people use usually use fire at mound controls, and those are fine. They work on that mound, but fire ants reproduce and they'll be somewhere else in the yard forming a new colony. And it hadn't if you will boiled up to the surface where now you got dirt up on top of the ground. You know there's a fire at mount. They're not there yet. So if you just use mound treatments, you're playing whack a mole with fire ants. You kill this one, one pops up over here, You killed that one, one pops up over here. Baits cover all of it. Those mounds you can't see. They have workers. They have to feed themselves. They have workers that are out there getting food. And the food is the bait you put down laced with the firemant control product. There's organic bait, synthetic bait. You get your choice, just like individual mound treatment, you get a choice. Ace Hardware's got that covered. Every fall fertilizer that I've been harping on this fall is at Ace Hardware. They have them all and then some anything you need. When you hear me talk about controlling your lawn weeds with barricade, pre emergent. When you hear me talk about Eagle turf, funge aside, and any other kind of product, it's there at ACE Hardware store. Ace Hardware is easy to get because there's forty of them. Just go to acehardware dot com, find the store near you, and there you go, and allow yourself a little time when you go in there, because you're gonna see a lot of cool stuff. You're gonna walk through Ace Hardware and you're going to go that would be a perfect gift for you. Fell in the blank. It is, it is. It is really cool to go into an Ace Hardware store. Plus the fact that you know when you go, you're going to get the things you hear me talk about on guarden Line. I'm gonna head over to Humble now and we're going to talk to Greg. Hello, Greg, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 5: SKIP.
Speaker 8: How you doing?
Speaker 2: I good, sir?
Speaker 8: Have I have an.
Speaker 18: Issue with twenty year old like gustrooms in it. All of a sudden they seem to be wilting on me Because we've had drier weather, I've turned up the water. I think I may have exacerbated the problem. So at this point I'm trying to figure out.
Speaker 5: What to do.
Speaker 19: You know, do I do I shove the water off on them? Or do I? Is there is there something that you know? Maybe there's there's something going on in in the upper northeast Houston area in the soil that that's new this year that hasn't been around.
Speaker 18: So I'm kind of picking your brain on those.
Speaker 2: Okay, the gustrooms are pretty resilient when it comes to root issues. We don't have a lot of them. If they've been there twenty years, it's unlikely that some root rot just showed up overnight, you know, to hit your leagustrooms. It's probably a soule moisture issue.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: Too much water, the roots can't get oxygen, and roots that can't get oxygen dye and roots that are dead can't take up water. So it's kind of weird. But you can have a plant standing in standing water that's wilted for that reason, which is kind of weird. But it could be too dry too. I would get a trial dig down about three or four inches and feel the soil. See what you think, you know? Is it too wet or is it not wet enough? I'll tell you this, I know you know telling somebody. To replace a whole bunch of shrubs means money, right, and time and effort. But lagustrum, in my opinion, is not a great long term shrub. It has some issues. You probably have seen leaf spots on your lagustriums. I was at a house just yesterday looking at some shrubs and the leaves were just yellow spots all over them. Is a disease that plagues lagustriums, and the only way around it is to rake up all the leaves and spray every time it rains. When the when the rain stops, you go out and spray. And nobody almost have to do that to shrubs. Lagustrooms get big and overtime they outgrow and then they get thin underneath. They got foliage on top of it, not underneath, And so I would no, I know, but I know lagustriums and that's exactly what they do. And so I guess you know you're you're calling me about them wilting, and I'm saying, hey, why not replace them. There's a lot of great shrubs out there, and falls the best planning season, so you know you don't have to do it, but it's your yard. But this would be kind of a moment where it might be good to decide, why don't I try something different? You know, maybe the area has grown more shady over time in those twenty years. Maybe, I don't know. You fill in the blank after the word maybe. But there could be other reasons why a different shrub would do better there as well.
Speaker 18: Yeah, well, Greg, hang on they.
Speaker 2: I was just reading a quote. You know, I love gardening quotes. Feel free to send me gardening quotes and I collect them. And I just read one that said that which people sow, they shall also reap. You've heard that before, right, does not always apply to the pictures on seed packets. That is true. I have been there, right. Hey, gardening is for fun, guys. You got to laugh at yourself sometimes. And I'll tell you this. To be a good horticulture, she got to kill a lot of plants, so have fun. Get out there. We don't kill plants on purpose, but hey, man, things happen, right, things go wrong. It's okay. That's why we have spades and rototillers. You can always do it again. You can always try again. You always learn and get better. That's true. And I guess that's the thought for the day. Something like that. Medina Products out in Hondo, Texas, has been probably the longest term sponsor of Guardenline that we've had. Medina Products are well known all over the state and really beyond Texas as well, because they have great products. They have products that work really well. One that I think you ought to give a good hard look at and actually get some in use this fall is Medina Plus. Now Medina Plus. It's fortified with essential micro nutrients, those little small things that you need, the things that you need in small quantities rather in order for plants to succeed. It's got growth hormones from seaweed extract in it. It's an excellent fol of your feed. You're not going to burn your plants with it. So you got a tree, a shrub, a lawn, Yes, you can put in a hose in use it on your lawn. It has Medina Soil Activator in it, the standard original product there, but Medina Plus also has forty trace elements. It's got natural growth hormones. As I said, it's got a number of different vitamin type materials that all are part of the concoction that makes Medina Plus work. It's going to increase blooming and leaf growth. It's going to promote fruit. Set on things that produce fruit. If you're going to do transplanting, you need to get some. Just mix it up, follow the label. Mix it up, put it in a watering can. Put that plant in the ground and water it in really well. Then fill up the soil around that plant and water it in again with Medina Soil Activator. Medina excuse me, Medina plus that contains Medina Soil Activator. You are going to be able to soak seeds in it and help them a lot of the things in it will be helpful for that seed as it begins to sprout. I would water my little seedlings when I'm trying to get them to come up, and as they sprout, water them again with Medina Plus. Again, it's got a lot of uses very and like other products from the folks at Medina, it's gonna work. You were listening to garden Line. My phone number if you'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two kt RH seven one three two to one two kt r H. When was the last time you went to Enchenned forest out there in the Richmond Rosenberg area. You know, if you're in Richmond, h and you're heading towards sugar Land. It's off to the right. It's on FM twenty seven fifty nine F twenty seven fifty nine. Enchanted Forest is the garden center.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: I like in Chenned Forest. In fact, I love it. It's always exciting to go there because there's always new things right now. The color, it's color galore all over that place. Uh. They are loaded up with pumpkins and moms. They got all their fall veggies in. They have shrubs for the shade of shrubs per sun. They've got trees like holly's and oaks and maples and the Chinese, just to name a few of the trees that they have in there. By the way, if you're gonna plant a shrubber a tree, do it or a woody vine, do it this fall. It's also good time to plant perennials, but especially for those woody ornamentals. If you get them done in late October and November, you're going to have way head start over next summer's heat and stress on our plants. Now, they also have Chinese fringe, and I if you've never seen or grown Chinese fringe, you need to I like it because it's not so huge as big shade trees. So a lot of our lotz these days aren't huge like they used to be in many decades past. Chinese fringe fits that it bloom's ever spring with shaggy, fragrant ballooms, and they've got them in a chanet for us to go buy, talk to them. Do look google around, look at look at that thing online and see what I'm talking about. It is awesome. We used to have a Chinese fringe at the extension office in Bear Creek Park before two floods pretty much put an end to that whole thing. But it was it was huge, bigger than any Chinese friends I've ever seen. It's probably twenty five feet high something like that.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 2: It was big. It's beautiful, maybe even a little larger that that took a long time to reach that. By the way, today and in Channon Forest, Deston, my friend Destin note the Texas Garden Guy is going to be doing a talk on fall gardening starting at ten am today. Those would be down south in that area, you know, swing by there, Deston, Texas Garden Guy in tenned Forest topic fall gardening ten am This morning, be there or be squared. When he gets through talking, come out and see me. You have to all you have to do is drive all the way up to Nature's Way up in Conroe. But hey, road time, windshield time, right, Uh yeah, in Chenny Forest's a great place. I love to do that. I had someone talking to me the other day about landscaping, and I was telling them things they should do, and I could tell you know, when you're telling somebody something and you know that they are politely listening, but they have absolutely no intention of doing what you're suggesting. I can see it in the eye, just like when I go into a place to shop and I ask someone who works there a question, and with the first few words out of my mouth, I can just tell you they have no idea. They're not going to give me an accurate answer. They're going to give me an answer. They're going to talk for a while, but I might as well go, Thank you very much. I'm already done before I finished answering the question. Well, anyway, I was talking to someone and I knew they weren't going to do what they're gonna do because they just weren't interested in getting out and digging holes and planting drubs and doing some things. And I have an answer for that. Peerscapes. Call Peerscapes. Peerscapes makes magic out of your landscape. I don't care if you have a bed that I need to replace it with some drought hardy, disease resistant shrubs and things so I don't have to worry about them. That's what my conversation was about. By the way, well they can do that. Do you need do you need landscape lighting? Do you have poorly drained areas? Do you want a patio? Do you want like a barbecue brig barbecue or rock barbecue enclosed patio? They can do that. You need to go to their website though, to see what I'm talking about. Pierce Scapes dot com, pierscapes dot com. There's so many things they can do. I can't even say them all here on the show. At this point, you just need to call and see go to the pierscapes dot com, see what they can do, and then give them a call. Two eight, one, three, seven oh fifty sixty. Now they do good jobs, so they're always scheduling ahead of time, so don't delay. You want to get this work done soon and you need to give them a call so you can get on the schedule and get the work done. You got issues with your sprinkler system, they can do that too. Pretty much, anything that's a problem in your landscape or that you just have dreamt of I've always wanted to have you fell in the blank cal pier scapes. That makes it real simple, real easy. I was visiting with some of their designers a good while back, just talking to them about plants and design and things, and looking at all the things they had out, you know, these beautiful landscape designs that they had done. It's just like, Yeah, I'm impressed with these Folks'll tell you what. Let's go out to clear like and we are going to talk to Jim. Hello, Jim, Welcome to garden Line. Good morning Skip.
Speaker 20: I was out in the yard about two three weeks, right at the end of September, and I put my herbicide down and I did a really light brown patch feeding. But the bag says twenty pounds per thousand square feet. My yard's about twenty three hundred square feet. I'm wondering if it would be all right put the rest of that down on the on the lawn.
Speaker 2: Now do you remember what the product was you used?
Speaker 11: Brown patch?
Speaker 2: Oh, the microlife brown patch right? Yes? No, no.
Speaker 20: At the time I put the herbicide down, I put a real light uh yeah, application, and I want to finish up the bag.
Speaker 2: Now do you have brown patch currently in your lawn? Do you see the circles?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, I do? Okay, good, okay, well, yes, a s A P. I would get that done because once the disease infects, it's hard even with you know, chemical fungicides to kill the disease in the in the grass. It's better to be ahead of it. And the microlife is going to work by populating the exterior of the grass plant parts with the microbes that help not only fight against the disease, but we way I put it is create a hostile environment for diseases trying to land because you've got such a proliferation of good microbes that are in the spot. So I would, yes, I would definitely get it on. You might you might, you know, as I think about it, you might want to use their bioinoculant. It's called it's micro grow bioinoculant that has a whole lot of different groups of microbes as well. And that's something that you could also put out there on it if you want to stay, if you want to stay toward the organic end.
Speaker 20: Okay, and so I can do the bio inoculator and the brown patch together.
Speaker 2: Yes, the bioinoculator is not a fertilizer. It's it's a product that just puts all these different kinds of extra microbes out there and you watered in really good both of them. You can apply them both. Don't put them in the same hopper. It's always better to apply products one at a time. You can do it at the same time, same day, you know, same hour, but just and then water men really good. That'll give your grass the hopefully there's not too much infection that's already occurring that you're not seeing. Uh, but if you're going to stay on the organic end, that would be the approach to take.
Speaker 20: Alrighty well, thank you very much, have a great weekend, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Jim, thanks a lot, appreciate your call. You are listening to garden Line our number seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two five eight seven four. You know Arburgate, Arburgate dot com is a website. It's the garden center just west of Tambul, Texas on twenty nine twenty And if you walk out to Arburgate, now your jaw is going to drop. The color that they have, the plants that they have in the decorations, the fall. The gift shops are unbelievable right now. They're even getting in some of the Christmas stuff coming up later. If you're going to go to visit someone for Thanksgiving, take them a plant from Arbigate. Take them a gift from Arbrogate. When you go to Arbigate. You know my broken record, mantra brown stuff before green stuff. Grab a bag of organic food complete, Organic soil complete, and organic compost complete. Those are three different things. They contain the nutrients that plants need for the roots, they contain the soil contains expanded jail as well, so does the organic compass complete. It's three bags. You put those three bags in the ground, follow the label and then put your plants in the ground. Or you can use a fertilizer later. But you've got to take care of the foundation so those plants will succeed in Boy, what does Arbrogate ever have some outstanding plants right now. Go check them out arbrogate dot com just one and a half miles west of forty nine on twenty nine twenty. I'll be right back. Good to have you with us. We are talking about all things gardening, and you know that's what we do here on garden and we answer your questions. By the way, another reminder, I'm going to be at the Fall Festival speaking of answering your questions at Nature's Way resources up in Conra. So if you're heading up Interstate forty five toward Conra from Houston where fourteen eighty eight comes in, this is going north from the left fourteen eighty eight from Magnolia, you turn right, cross over the railroad tracks and then turn right again and you're at Nature's Way. That's how you get there. Now, they're going to have their Fall Festival, which I think should be called the Fall Shindig because it is a shindig, which means we're going to have fun, children's activities, live music. There's going to be local vendors there, plant sales and things. They'll have some Latin food, and I'll be there answering your gardening questions. The whole event is nine am to two pm. I'll be there from eleven thirty to one thirty, so basically kind of over the noon hour time doing Q and I. You can bring me questions, bring me samples for identity, for diagnosis. I can even perform last rites on dead plants, but that won't accomplish anything for them, but you know, we got to catch them before they die. Seriously joking aside, We're gonna have a good time and I hope you can make it. And while you're at at Nature's Way, make sure you got room in the car the pickup, bring a trailer if you need to pick up some of the quality resources that they have. Nature's Ways been doing quality soil resources for a very long time. Many of the things we talk about all the time now on garden Line we're born at Nature's Way, such as rose soil such as a leaf mold, composts for example. And I could I could mention others, but anyway, come on out and see me today over the eleven thirty to one thirty I'll be there and Junior Gardening. You can bring samples and also bring pictures on your phone to that works just as well if you've if you have struggled in the past falls with diseases like large patch brown patch. If you've dealt in past spring with the proliferation of cool season weeds, and if your lawn just struggles at times, nitrofoss has got you covered. They got something called the Texas three step.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: Remember you do the two step on a dance floor, you do the three step on your lawn. The three step is Fall special wind riser. That's the fertilizer, perfect blend for fall. The three step is nitropos barricade to prevent weeds. Get it down as soon as you can now call it's going to take is a coal front and some raine and we're gonna have cool season weeds germinating and you will get to pay for that and fall if you don't stop them now. And the three step is Eagle turf fungicide a head of brown patch infecting so that when that disease or take all root rout for that matter, tries to infect and cause damage to your lawn. The fungicide, the systemic fungicide is there three steps, Fall special Barricade, Eagle turf fungicide. You can find it in a chanted forest in Richmond. You can find it at a Hardware City Memorial Drive, at Gym's hardburd Montgomery, and at the Stantons shopping Center down in Alvin. Let's head back to the phones. We're going to go to Bay City now and talk to Keith. Hello, Keith, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 21: Morning, Rick, Thanks for taking my call. Hey, I've got a highbiscus. I've headed my house for probably eight or nine years.
Speaker 18: It's been a beautiful plant.
Speaker 21: Every year it would grow up to at least six, maybe even eight foot tall ballooms all over it. This year it's knee high, and once in a while we'll get one or two balloons and that's it.
Speaker 2: Huh. Getting plenty of sunlight.
Speaker 21: Uh, it's on the east side of the house and it gets sun for you know, till probably one.
Speaker 2: Or two o'clock. Uh like it like it always has.
Speaker 21: Yeah, I mean I've been feeding it the same stuff. It gets watered every day, or not every day, every every other day. And uh, I mean I've changed anything, Okay, sure?
Speaker 2: So well, other than it's short, do you see any other symptoms or the leaves smaller? Do you see coloring in the leaves or lack of coloring or two stems.
Speaker 18: All the all.
Speaker 21: The leaves are green and pretty except for two stems, and they're taller than the rest of them, and they're kind of yellowish. They're not yellowish pale green, Okay, they're not a bright green.
Speaker 2: Well, Michael, I don't I don't know what to tell you on that. When a plant is dwarfed more like that, usually something's wrong in the roots in the soil. Uh, you know, not enough water to supper growth, not enough nutrient you're telling me. You know, you're watering it and you're fertilizing it. Yeah, and you know, I don't know what else would dwarf it. You know, very light doses of certain kinds of herbicides can kind of stunt a plant. But you usually see weird leaves when that happens, and you don't have that that it could be a root rot in the soil that is working on some of the roots, but not real extensive. Kind of unusual for a plant that's been happy for so long and now suddenly root rot shows up unless it went through a very soggy, wet period. So that those are observations from me. I don't have a crystal ball though to know what exactly is happening on that plant.
Speaker 21: Yeah, okay, that's just totally give it a track, because, like I say, my wife she loves that bush and it always comes out every spring and it.
Speaker 2: Just grows up. Is beautiful this year? Yeah, high you might try getting a a garden hose and trying to wash out some of the surface roots. You know, just where you can see the roots are they are they plump, white, creamy colored, healthy looking or do you see swollen spots all over the roots?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 21: No, if you would keep mulch on it, and so I really don't.
Speaker 2: Well I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting you, Yeah, pull back the mulch and just get some of the roots. I don't want you to tear them up. I just you know, use the spade to loosen the soil and kind of wash some soil. See if you see knots. And if you do give me a callback, we can talk about that. But that that's about as far as I can take that one based on the information I got to go on at this point, Keith. But I wish you well and look forward to talking to you more. If if you can get some more if you notice some other things, thanks, thanks a lot for giving us a call. I do appreciate that the folks at Landscaper's Pride make quality soil. It's as simple as that. And when I say quality soils, I mean things like their compost peet made from locally screened pine It is excellent for improving structure, adding their organics into the soil. They have something called planting mix, and it's a blend of locally sourced pine bark but also with the sandy loam and the organics in it. And a planting mix like that is so widely adaptable that you can use it to grow just about anything you want to grow. Now. They also have the course the black velvet mulch. Always twelve months out of the year, the ground should be covered because where sunlight hits a soil, nature plants a weed. Black velvet mulch is a beautiful color. It's not dyed, it's naturally dark, and it just looks good. You can go to Landscaperspride dot com or follow them on social media to find stores and to find a lot more information about their other mini products. As they say at Landscaper's Pride, let's grow something together. Let's head out now to Alvin, Texas and talk to Michael. Hello, Michael, welcome to garden line.
Speaker 22: Hello, Hello, I've got this rather large Arizona ash tree, almost almost three feet in diameter.
Speaker 23: It's a big one.
Speaker 22: And up, okay, around up around the six foot up on the main trunk.
Speaker 23: The bark is starting to separate from.
Speaker 2: The I know it. I know what you're talking about. Yeah, I know it's talking about. Hey, Michael, I'm at a break. I'm gonna go, but when we come back, we're gonna we're gonna answer that question for you. Just hang on Alan, You'll be the next up after Michael. We'll be right back. Folks.
Speaker 13: What once was?
Speaker 2: I love going out to Nelson Water Gardens, which is out in Katie, Texas. If by the way, if you've never been there, just go to Katie out I ten. When you get to Katie Fort Bend Road, Katie for Ben Road, turn north and it's just a hop, skipping or jump down the road on the right hand side. Nelson Nursery and Water Gardens Number one is awesome nursery. When you walk in the store, you are among one of the most beautiful low collections of house plants. I've seen they are in They're unusual, they're colorful, they're in awesome shape. I always have to stop there before I can get back into the rest of the nursery. The beautiful plants, all the kinds of plants you would want. I mean, do you want for a trees, Yeah, they got those shrubs, trees, they got vines, they got herbs. I purchased some herbs there a while back. Just really really quality plants. And then there's the water gardens. There are the koi ponds and the various kinds of fish that you would put in upon like koi or like shabunkin. And then there are the plants that you put in water gardens, and of course the water features. Anytime you can bring the sound of water home, you are going to have an outstanding setting. I was just out in my backyard yesterday visiting my wife and and talking about the sound of water. We have two water features in the backyard, and it just is so relaxing. And when you go to Nelson Water Gardens, you're gonna you're going to see that. After you pick up your vegetables and your flowers and all the kinds of things that you might want just stop in and sit and enjoy the sound of water. You will find features that you got to have in your house. Every time I go by there, it's like, yeah, I need one of those. I can't get enough beautiful, beautiful at Nelson Water Gardens in Katie. Let's do this. Let's go to Baytown and we're going to talk to Alan. Hello, Alan, Welcome to garden Mine.
Speaker 9: Good morning. My question is like third time I calls about New Sode. My house was built in a foball on in July and.
Speaker 5: Nothing's been done to it.
Speaker 2: But I'm six.
Speaker 9: It's just the yards begging for the fertilization schedule to start. That's going to happen tomorrow. Okay, I'm noticing to building all these these holes around me. The whole front yard is nothing but sand. They laid the saw down in it. Would it benefit my yard if I and lay some top soil down or combination sicky sicky soil and sand, or don't worry about it?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 9: Grass is growing?
Speaker 2: What's what's underneath the grass right now? Do you know?
Speaker 9: I think if I'm looking at what to do for the rest of the homes they're building, there's nothing but sand, I don't see any of the kind of soil being brought out there.
Speaker 2: Well, no, it wouldn't help to put that out. What you need to do is get my schedule from gardening with skip dot com and follow. I have organic and synthetic fertilizer options that are outstanding day. A good one right now would be Nelson's carbo load.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: It's it's designed for fall and it also has that pre emergent in it. So if your lawn is you know a little bit then in places rather than winter weeds sprouting, it's going to prevent those and you kind of kill too birds with one stone with that the Nelson carbo load. Uh. The fertilizer is important going forward. Anytime you get an opportunity to do like an narration or compost stop dressing something along those lines, I would go ahead and do that. That also helps your lawn. But primarily it's water and fertilizing and regular mowing.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: You want to go on a regular schedule at a at a good height.
Speaker 9: Well that's what I do. It's getting all of that and except for the fertilizer. For fertilizer yet, because I didn't get into July the house until I'm waiting to like probably today or tomorrow. And I've already already. I know you've mentioned the Nelsons already about the nitrofiles. So but I can go ahead and do that, okay, and at the same time, the same.
Speaker 2: Day, yes, not in the same hopper, but same time, same day nitrophiles fall special and barricade or an excellent combination to accomplish the same thing in your lawn.
Speaker 11: All right, okay, well, thank you, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then just next summer when it's dry, give it a good soaking periodically, and I think you'll get that lone in good shape.
Speaker 9: Okay, all right, I just didn't like to see just to say I note that needed some good dirt underneath it, or not so very good.
Speaker 2: We're going we're gonna make it easy. We're gonna make it easy, and you follow my schedule online and you'll get there. Thanks a lot for that call. Uh yeah, I was. I was mentioning that that carverload. I've been wanting to tell you guys about another product from Nelson, and that's the nutri Star Genesis. Now that's a little it's a it's a clear plastic jar screw top lad that we use it for transplanting. So when I'm last year, I grew some tomato transplants and I bumped them up to bigger pots. Before I planted them, I put Nutrishar Genesis in, and it's a good thing. I wasn't standing over them. They took off growing so fasty to hit me in the chin. I'm seriously telling you this stuff really works. If you're gonna put rose bushes in, put some in the hole, mix it in. This is not a salt based fertilizer. It's gonna burn plant roots or anything. It just works well. Later on, you can follow that up with color Star or Nutral Star some of the other Nelson plant food products. But any planting you're gonna do, just have a jar of Genesis on the shelf Nutristar Genesis from Nelson and use it every time you plant. Mix it into the soil, set the plant in, water it in real good, and then you watch the results. Let's head out to Fairfield. We're going to talk to Marty. Hey, Marty, welcome to guard Line Morning.
Speaker 5: Skip.
Speaker 8: Hey.
Speaker 24: I was going to see if I could put some Basillosteria gensis on my cabbage plant and my.
Speaker 2: Callflower.
Speaker 24: They got looks like they're eating snails are eating the leaves.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're you're not talking about snail bait. You're talking about BT. Yes, putting it on okay pillar yeah, yeah, if it's caterpillars, BT works if you can spray upward from underneath the leaves. A lot of those caterpillars hide under the leaves. When I see any of those kinds of vegetables in my garden and some leaf areas are missing, I turned the leaves over, and there's always going to be a little looper under there that's doing it. Now, if it's caused by snails, of course you'll see the slimy, dried trails from them. And that's where a snail bait would work. But BT won't touch a snail, but snow bait will. But yes, BT caterpillars.
Speaker 24: Yeah, okay, I didn't know. I thought maybe it would kill both of them, all right, So I don't know now.
Speaker 2: The snail baits. There are snail baits with like a poison in them, a chemical poison kind of thing, But a lot of snail baits are just iron based. They basically take iron and put it into something. The snails love to eat a bait, and then they end up getting so much iron that it causes a terminal case of constipation. Isn't that an interesting thing to happen to the snails. It's kind of if you think about it too much, it's a little scary. But no, seriously, the snail baits are very safe and as a result, I like those iron based baits. Slug O is just an example of one of the brands.
Speaker 24: Well, I don't see a caterpillar and I don't see any snail slime. It's just big little chunks and big chunks are out of the leaves.
Speaker 2: Turn over a bunch of leaves, look good, and then go out, go out tonight with a flashlight. We do have pasts that are nocturnal. They kind of hide out during the day and then they come out to feed at night, and a number of caterpillars are that way. That's how the sod webworms and our lawns are. They hide during and then they come out at night to feed primarily. But anyway, find out what it's doing it and then you'll know what to do about it. Okay, thank you, all right, Marty, Thanks for the call. I appreciate that very much. Bye bye, thanks a lot. Well, I just want to remind you that I'm going to be at Nature's Way Resources today. I hope you come out and see me. All of you out there and Conroe and Willis, come down from Huntsville, those of you in North Houston out to the east and west Montgomery direction, come on by. We're going to be answering your gardening questions. I'm going to be giving away four bags of the famous Nature's Way finely screened leaflold compost. That stuff is gold flat gold works for about every thirty minutes. I'll give away a bag of that. They're gonna give away one hundred and fifty dollars gift certificate, which is super cool. Boy. That will be fun. Leave some room in your car, bring a truck, bring a trailer, and take home some quality materials from Nature's Way so that you can build some cool stuff. That's going to be quite the shindig, lots of fun. We're gonna come on and see me. I'd love to meet you, shake your hands, and help you with a more in depth approach to your gardening questions.
Speaker 3: As the world.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, Welcome back to guard Line. Glad you're here. Thanks for thanks for listening. I appreciate that. I hope you're having fun. I certainly am. Uh you know, talking about gardening. I can only do that forever, all day, every day. I love it. Kind of like eating enchiladas. I think if I eat enchiladas ever meal, I would I would be just be happy. That would be good. I don't know if that way, but I sure feel that way. Welcome back to garden Line. You know the folks at RCW Garden Center Nursery RCW Nursery, it's the garden center there at Tombol Parkway in about way eight. They just have the best stock of trees and shrubs and always of roses that you're going to find anywhere. And they've got sales going on and it's always a good time to go out to RCW. You know RCW they grow Williamson Tree Farm grows trees up there in the Plantersville area, and so you go buy RCW and you're getting the trees that are grown there, and as a result, they have got outstanding stock. They know what trees grow here. They're not going to grow some species it's not going to do well here. And they know how to plant them, they know how to advise you. They can point you at the right ones. They have trees down to fifteen gallon size all the way up to two hundred gallon size fifteen percent off right now. The trees at RCW, and they're outstanding. You out to sea southern magnolias that they have. Oh they're gorgeous, burrows, lace bark elms, and on and on and on. They're great. And this is the time to plant it. So if you would like to have shade, it's time to get that done. Is I like to say, you know the best time to plant trees forty years ago. Second best time is today, and the absolute best time of year is in the fall. Get that done. You have all winner for that tree to get established. It gives you a better chance of success. It just simply does. RCW also has shrubs. They've got a great crop of cetrus in with fruit on the cetrus trees. Is that cool or what? And you just find all the plants you need. You do you want landscape color like crotons and lanannas and all the other annuals that we put out for this time of year. Do you need vegetable transplants? Whatever you need is there, including the fertilizers that you need and the other products that help that plant have success. Go to rcwnurseries dot com w nurseries dot com. Again, they're the garden Center. We're about Way eight and Tomo Parkway FM two forty nine. Come together, easy to get to and you will enjoy shopping as well. Plus you have a lot of good landscape bling. They always have some fun stuff there for the landscape. You are listening to Garden Line and our phone number is seven to one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. Talking about trees, I had somebody ask me just earlier today during the break about Affordable Tree service and hiring someone to come in and do arbor work on their trees, and his hands down, absolutely that's who I would send you to. Go to Martin spoon Moore from Affordable Tree. He's been doing this for a very long time. He's experienced, he knows what he's doing, and we are now entering into the pruning season that we prune any time of the year. We need to, but the best pruning season of the year, Martin gets booked up, so don't delay give him a call. Even if he just comes out and does an assessment of the landscape. What if these trees need is there any work?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 2: For one hundred and fifty can come out do an assessment and that is a money well spent because it goes right back into the price of doing any kind of work that you might need, whether it's pruning, you know. He also does root feeding. He also does consulting advising, like okay, I want to put it a driveway. He look at this beautiful tree. I don't want to hurt it. Oh gosh, you have to call ahead of time. Do not do work trenching or putting in slabs around a tree without having someone that knows what they're talking about, like Martin that's helping you with that. The phone number you want to write this down seven one three six twenty six sixty three seven one three six nine nine two six six three. I'm gonna give you the website. If you like websites, afftree service dot com you can go to you can find out about them that way a ff tree service dot com or call seven one three six nine nine two six six three. We're gonna head out now to talk to Rick. Hello, Rick, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Good morning, said a couple of questions. I just put in some new sable palms after the hurricane took out all my existing palms. Uh. In anyway, I'm just wondering about care for them, Like I said, I've just they've been in for about three weeks and just too much water, not enough water. Should I fertilize them? Uh? And they've been established. They're like seven eight foot twelve foot trunks. So just a question.
Speaker 2: Okay, tell me again, what what kind of palm do you have?
Speaker 12: They're sables?
Speaker 2: Sable? Okay, good, that's a great palm. Uh. So not a lot of care is needed. You want to make sure they have adequate water. So always water the base of the plant if for some reason your soil, you know, for some reason, if your soil is heavy clay, you want to be careful not to put them in a swamp by overwatering all the time. Right, But I would I would just make sure and give them adequate moisture to keep that root ball moist once we get into the wintertime. The demands go down a lot on all kinds of plants, and so we don't have to worry about it as much, but we just want to help them get established well with adequate watering but not overwatering. Some people will actually put a PVC pipe in the ground, like a two inch PVC pipe vertically straight down into the ground. Maybe put it a couple of feet deep, you know, or something like that, and when you when your soil gets water logged, water can move up in that pipe, and so later on you can come in with a stick like one of those little yard sticks, but the square kind that's about an inch square, or just a dowel rod, and you stick it down in there and pull it out, and you can see where the water table is. And so if you got a water table that's up within a foot of the surface, that stop stop watering that you don't want to drown them. But that's one way you can find out what's happening underground, because that's not good for trees. So that's just a little trick tip. You could have people ask me all the time, how much do I water? How long do I wader? How often do I water? And it's just there's so many variables that it's hard to answer that question. But with that PBC pipe you kind of know on trees if they're getting too much or not right.
Speaker 12: Well, the other part of that was we had the limbs tied up, of course, and they said leave them tied up for about two months before you undo them. But a lot of them have started dying off, and he said, don't worry about that.
Speaker 2: He said, I kill them.
Speaker 8: What I bought them for.
Speaker 12: Me said, you know, I typically I would cut them all off, but people like to see a little bit of palm fronds when they first buy tree.
Speaker 2: You spend that kind of money, so yeah, he said, really, yeah, just leave them well when you open them up, when you when there, you take the tie off, or whoever does that takes the tie off and they expand out. Always leave See, if you think of palms as having a rounded top, uh you in your pruning, you you want the problem not to take more than horizontal out. In other words, if it's a clock you're looking at from three o'clock to nine o'clock, you don't want it to go up any higher than that. The branches you want at least horizontal freedom and it can hang down even more, but never prune more than than that horizontal line across the thing. Hey, I've got to I've got to take a little break. But I hope that helps. And good luck with your plants, and thanks again for that call. We are entering. We're in the middle of our last hour for the day. I'm going to be heading to Nature's Way Resources after the show, So eleven thirty to one thirty, come by and see me at the big Shindig, the fall festival there at Nature's Way Resources. Bring me your plants, your disease infested, your insect infected, your what else is on a planet nutrient star plants yearning to breathe free. I'll pretend that I'm am Elazarath, writing a horticulture poet here about the statue of Liberty. I'll be happy to diagnose them and help you in any way that I can. We're going to start this hour by going or this segment by going out to Tracy in Houston. Hello, Tracy, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 8: Hello, how will you today?
Speaker 2: I'm well, thank you to help awesome.
Speaker 7: I'll be quick, Okay, two things, Can I go ahead?
Speaker 2: And I know it's February.
Speaker 8: But can I go ahead and trim my knockout roses?
Speaker 2: They look absolutely horrible. Well, they're gonna look horrible because of a number of different things that have been going on with them. A lot of roses are looking a little worse for the wear. I'm a little concerned about stimulating a lot of growth with cold weather coming so soon. I'd normally do my trimming back of roses like in late August to get a good October show out of them. But I think at this point, if you need to trim a little back just for the size of the bush or whatever, go ahead, But I would mainly wait at this point. Now, I would wait and do most of my printing at the end of winter. I think February would be a good time to do that. Okay.
Speaker 7: Last of all, this running vine that keeps wrapping itself around my roses, it's a constant thing, sometimes three times wrapped around.
Speaker 2: What causes that?
Speaker 8: And how can I kill it?
Speaker 2: I need to see what it is if you are able to send me. Are you able to send me a photo you take of the vine up close? Run and see the leaves?
Speaker 22: No, Because I got out of six o'clock and kill them, to them all off on row.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fine, Tracy, you're not wasting time out there. Well, I don't know what it is. It's probably a broadly fine. If it's a perennial and you break it off and it comes right back out of the ground when you cut it off. If you will paint a certain kind of herbicide on the stem of the vine, you don't want to spray it because you don't want to hurt your plants. But there's one called the ingredient is triclope here. And if you go to my website Gardening with Skip dot com, there's herbicides to use on skip'sweed wiper, and all the products that contain triclopp here are listed on there. And you just wipe it either on the cut surface or on the base of the vine itself, and that moves down in the vine. Don't spray it, wipe it on and then it'll it'll kill the vine. Okay, all right, thank you so much for that information. All Right, you take care, Tracy, have a good rest of your weekend. You are listening to garden Line and we are here to answer your gardening questions if you want to give me a call. It's seven one three two one two five eight seven four. I'll be happy to do just that. I want to remind you we're in fall fertilizing season. This is the time to get it done. Microlife Fertilizer has a product called brown Patch. Now that's not a fung just side that is a herbst fertilizer. It's a it's a fertilizer that is loaded with micronutrients. So you put it out there and it makes lawn healthier. That's one thing it does. But the the microbes that are in and it does have micro nutrients in it too because it's a natural product. But the microbes that are in it help out compete that brown patch organism as it tries to infect your lawn. So that's the way that it works as a disease. It didn't kill the fungus. It helps keep that plant healthy and helps it defend off the fungus. And that's what organic gardening is all about, is making our plants healthy and providing the good stuff they need to accomplish that. And Microlife brown Patch is that good stuff. You'll find it on my schedule at Gardening with Skip dot com. It is a very very effective product and from the folks at Microlife means also that you're going to find it everywhere, real easy to find Microlife brown Patch at this point in the season. Let's heat out now to Pasadena and we're going to talk to Randy. Hello, Randy, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 22: Hello.
Speaker 23: How are you this morning?
Speaker 2: I'm good, sir. How can I help today?
Speaker 23: Well, I have a question. I'm long has been part of my lown has been inundated with the button weed, the whatever it is. I've got the ro my product that you'll recommend or Furtolan rather it's a spray. When do you pull the trigger to do that? Because everything says wait till the weather's cooler.
Speaker 2: Yes, Well, you know, if you're we try to apply those products when it's below let's say the mid eighties, certainly the below the upper eighties if possible.
Speaker 18: Uh.
Speaker 2: But if you get out early in the morning when the temperature is that it's coolest and we're going to get some breaks in the weather, and you can go ahead and do that right away, when when you can get it out and it has a few hours before the temperature is going to get up in you know up into the mid eighties or higher. You can get by with it that way if you if you want to go do the button weed just.
Speaker 23: Next spring for sustain or this is brutal, it is just inundating my low well.
Speaker 2: And I that's a weed that's tough to kill, and it can be killed, but it's going to take multiple applications, and it's hard around here to find times it's not too hot to apply it. Because in the winter the button weed isn't going to take up a herbicide. It's it's in a semi dormant stay. So that's why I.
Speaker 23: The windows in. Then probably in the next few weeks when we start getting some cooler weather in the mornings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go ahead and get it. Go ahead and get it out and get it on there. And then in the spring, first tant you get when you see the button weed, apply it. It may be getting too warm. That's why I usually tell people to get celsius herbicide for that, because you can use celsius when the temperatures in the lower nineties and it's just fine. It gives you a bigger window.
Speaker 23: And Augustine, no not if you not, if you was just directed Okay.
Speaker 2: All right, sir, thank you, you have a good day. Good luck with that. Appreciate that if you are seeing cracks in your driveway, in your sidewalks, in the brick on the outside of your home, on the sheet rock on the inside, if you got doors sticking, something shifting, and our clay soils are in this area, they shrink and they swell, they get dry, they shrink, they get what they swell. Fix My slab foundation repair is who you need to call, and I will tell you this. Ty Strickland is the owner. He's been doing this for over twenty three years now. He knows what he's doing, and ty does not you know, jump out there and go, oh, something's wrong you got to do with this big job. He'll tell you if you need it or not. I've talked to Tye about jobs that he said, you know what, that movement is not enough to worry about at this point, and they'll keep an eye on it or whatever it may be, that it is something that needs to be done. Telling me your guardenline listener, because because you get a free estimate if you give him a call, tell him a guard line listener just hadn't come out and look at it. Uh, because putting your head in the sand like an ostrich doesn't it doesn't get better. Okay, So go ahead and have him come out and look at it. Don't be afraid of that. It's okay. Tye will show up on time, he'll fix it right, and he'll charge you a fair price. Those three things. What more can you ask bar from any service provider for your home fixmslab dot com is the website. Here's the phone number. Please write this down two eight one two five five forty nine forty nine. Two eight one two five five forty nine forty nine fix my slab foundation repair. We're gonna go out now to Michael and Alvin. Hey, welcome to garden Line. Michael. Yes, sir, I'll call it in a little while.
Speaker 22: Ago I got drops somehow, but uh, I got this ash tree Arizona ash that the bark is separating from the from the trunk.
Speaker 2: About six foot up. It's a very large.
Speaker 22: One, about three foot in diameter. And I was one what I could do if anything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sorry, sorry about that. I remember your call. So something has killed the bark on that side. We've seen a lot of that from some past freezes. We had a few years ago that killed bark, and then it just progressed and the tree now is trying to heal over from the sides. Like if you pull pulled the dead bark off, the loose bark needs to just come off there and you'll probably see the tree trying trying to heal over. Now, a big giant tree like that doesn't have the vigor kind of like us, you know, we had more vigor when we were younger, Michael, But it doesn't have the vigor to close that wound real fast, you know, and heal it over. So you're gonna have to kind of watch it. It may be a very long term thing. That's a very problematic. There's nothing to spray on it. There's nothing to do for it other than avoid stress. So in summer heat and drought, adequate watering so that tree maintained vigor to close that over is important. Fertilizing is always helpful, but when a tree hits that stage, it's hard to get a lot of benefit out of the fertilizing for the sake of the tree. So ash trees are notorious for having problems as they get older, And that sounds like one that's been around a very long time, and it may ultimately end up being something that has to be taken down. You might want to call Martin spoon Moore with Affordable Tree, have him come look at it and just make an assessment. Ash is not a super strong tree, and so you start to get decay in there, and now you've got a hazard that gets a little worse each year, the potential for injury. Okay, good to have you with us, Thanks for hanging around. Guess what we have got thirty minutes left today in Guardline. I'll be back tomorrow morning from six to ten. Every Saturday and Sunday six to ten. Tell your neighbors and friends you've got family in other parts of the country. They're welcome listen if they don't like to. We do have listeners from other states as well. So yeah, the more the merrier, let's join in warre in Southern gardens is out there in Kingwood, Texas. Orrens and Kingwood Garden Center are two outstanding garden centers in the Kingwood area. And when you go, you're always going to find the kinds of things you hear me talk about on garden Line. So when I talk about fertilizers, and you talk about soil quality, soil products, they've got that kind of stuff. If right now you're looking for fall color, oh my gosh, they are loaded with fault loaded with fall color. They have the fertilizers I was talking about the fall special earlier, I was talking about from Nitroros and Nelson's carbon load. They got both of those there. By the way, they have things that are organic like Nitrofossis, Sweet Green and micro Life sixty four. They carry those. If you need to knock out weeds, they've got the products to do that as a pre emergent. And of course Azemte I talked about that forest fall color is concerned. How about a beautiful mom loaded with moms out there. They've got ornamental kale and all the other snapdragons and other beautiful flowers that we need to carry us on into the cool weather. This far south, we get to cheat a lot on fall. We can carry things a lot further than you can as you move further north in Texas. And that's just an extra special deal. Pumpkin patch is open and ready for you to pick your perfect pumpkin, as well as plenty of stock of those vegetables. Now, I need to tell you this. If you spend one hundred dollars or more at war On Southern Gardens, tell them SKIP sent you, and you get twenty dollars off your purchase. That is a twenty percent discount. That is a great deal. Twenty dollars off if you spend one hundred. Now that doesn't include sale items or clearance items, and it's only effective through tomorrow. So today or tomorrow, you've got to go buy there and say I sent you. Spend a hundred, it's like, you know, it's like you're only spending eighty because you're getting twenty backs. So you spend one hundred and you end up only having spent eighty dollars. That is a good deal. A good time to stock up. Sign up for the newsletter while you're there, or go online and do it because it also is outstanding. We're going to head now out to Cyprus, Texas and talk to Diana. Hello Diana, and welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 15: Good morning. SKIP communicating with you a lot for the last two months trying to restore our yard. And there was a caller that called in earlier and they just called the tail end of it. But you were recommending something like a three and one. I think you said eagle turf. What was that that you were mentioning to them. I think it was about the pre emergence and some other What was that product?
Speaker 2: Yes, it was three different products that are part of nitrofoss Fall three step program. Okay, and so the car step. Yeah, the three products or a fertilizer, a weed prevention, and a disease prevention. So the most time important ones right now are to get the pre emergent we'd prevention in other words, product barricade down, and to get the disease prevention product, which is called eagle down because weed sprouting is going to happen as soon as the weather drops and we get a cold front and the disease arrival, the brown pats, the big brown circles you're seeing people's yard and take all those infect in the fall too. And then the eagle tour fungicides, I mean the fall special, which is their fertilizer, is good to get down because it gives your grasp more time to get strong going into the fall winter season.
Speaker 15: Okay, So it's the disease prevention and it's all by Nacha Falls.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's by Nitrofas. It's all three fertilizer free, disease, ease, and weed. So if you want just the name of each one to so when you walk into a place you can find them. First, Here's what I would do. I would go online to gardening with skip dot com. That's my website, and there print out my my lawn care schedule that's got the fertilizer on it, and then my insect disease and weed schedule that's got you know, the other stuff on it, and you can carry it with you where you go shopping. Where we're what part of the Cypress area are you in.
Speaker 15: We're over off of Far Road between let Creek Parkway and Tapperton, Okay, on the on the on the east side of the Grand Parkway. It's not very far back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you've got some You've got some Ace hardware stores they always carry those nightro Fosh products. Just south of you, there's one on Barker Cypress. As you go south, uh Barker Cypress kind of in the.
Speaker 15: Calm Creek Langham Creek a.
Speaker 25: M.
Speaker 2: Langham is going to have all all three of those. You walk into Ham Creek.
Speaker 15: Okay, all right, well our yard is making a little bit of progress. That's it's just gotten cooler, you know, with the other things that are break down, and so we just wanted to find out with just help prevent it from anything else happening. But thank you so much and appreciate it.
Speaker 2: As much as you want. We're going to get that yard in good shape for you, all right, take care. All right, folks, you've heard me talk about Quality Home before because I'm such a fan of their service and their products. You know, they sell the Generac automatic standby generators that are outstanding product, but it's the service that they do. I mean, it's a family owned business. They have a track record of good service and continued growth. So you're going to find that people that go with Quality Home, we're very happy with it. You can go online to Quality TM and I want to tell you this, if you are an electrician or a plumber. Electrician or a plumber, you need to go to QUALITYTX dot com and look at applying online. They have excellent benefits, competitive pay, retirement plans, matching retirement plans, paid holidays and time off, good training programs. I mean it's a great place to work. And aside from me talking about this long ago, everybody I've talked to it Quality Home was thrilled with the results that they were getting from the excuse me, the results ever I talked to you that worked there spoke so highly of how much they enjoyed it and how good of a place it was to work. Quality Home Products of Texas. Those storms have costed people to want to buy a generator and they could use some more folks helping out license electrician imprommers. Go to qualitytx dot com. Take a break now, I'll be right back. Only a few laps to go. I'd have to give us a call. Seven one three two one two k t r H. I've talked about a number of different things today, and you know, wisdom hopefully to help you have a better success rate and all the things you plant and want to grow. Uh. You know I mentioned that for those of you who tuned in a little later, I talked about the fall aster that is now blooming in area lawns. It's the little tiny dime sized white and light lavender blooms. White and light lavender. You got to pull those up, folks. There's no spray that's going to kill them. At this stage, the blooms turned to seeds. One plant can have five thousand seeds on it, literally it can.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: They're tap rooted, so they're easy to pull. Water the soil, get it good and soft, so you can grab that weed at the base, at the base of the or at the top of the root base of the plant and wiggle it right out of the ground. And there you go. You are in good shape in terms of getting hundreds and hundreds, if not thousands of weeds. He's out of your yard. That'll be back next year. If you don't deal with them. That is important. You gotta deal with them. And a lot of people put things off. I know that I do that myself, and it's just not right. You're making a mistake. You do not want to do that. Get those things out of there.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: There are not a lot of weeds that I'm going to say, oh, you got to go hand pull it. This is one. It just it really shows up in the fall. The foliage is blue green color, dark blue green color, I don't know, kind of a teal, but darker, much darker, uh, And it spreads out and covers a lot of area. You notice it when the flowers show up. That's when it really shows up. So anyway, but I hope you're enjoying gardening. By the way out there, I am having one of the best years in the garden that I've had. And it's not because everything's growing right, It's just because, you know, as little by little I continue to develop my landscape and develop my garden and try new plants and enjoy the new plants that we have out there. It's just fun. And you know, gardeners are optimists. They really are. Gardeners are the ultimate optimists. I mean, take a packet of seed and dump those seeds in your hand and look at them. What do they look like? I mean, it's detritus, it's debris, and it's lifeless, but inside is life. And you put it in the ground and it sprouts and it begins to grow, and it's just amazing that you can put a tomato or a green bean or a zenia flower seed in the ground and you did that, You created that thing, and it's it's wonderful. Gardeners are always you know, there's a quote from an English aristocrat from back in oh I don't know, a late eighteen nineties or maybe early nineteen hundreds. It says the most noteworthy thing about gardeners is that they are always optimistic, always enterprising, and never satisfied. Isn't that the case? It's true, and continuing the quote, they always look forward to doing something better than they've ever done before. I can tell you this next spring, when I plant a tomato, it's going to be the best tomato season ever. It's always that way. When you put a peach tree in the ground and I hope you're planning some fruit this winter, can you just taste the peaches and can you picture a tree loaded with fruit? That's how we are as gardeners. We're always optimistic, and we went never satisfied, not in a negative way, just in I can do better. I'm going to get better at this, and that's how it works. That's how it works. I think Abraham Lincoln had a pretty good way of looking at things. And he wasn't just talking about gardening, but he used a gardening analogy, and he said, we can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or we can read joice because thornbushes have roses. Gardeners look at it the second way, the upside of things. It's always going to get better. I know I'm getting philosophical here and droning on, but sometimes I think we get lost in all the how tos and the y too's and all of that, and we just forget the wonder and the joy and the rejuvenation and the restoration that comes with a wonderful hobby of gardening. All right, enough of me. Let's go out to Champions and talk to Matt. Hey, Matt, welcome to garden Line. Thank you, good morning.
Speaker 26: I've got a backyard that's getting pretty much overrun with Virginia button weed, and can I just leave it there?
Speaker 2: It doesn't look bad or I've heard yeah, it gets worse and worse and worse. Two things, Matt. Number One, the more you can drive that area out, the better. It can't control the rain, but you can't control irrigation, so that slows button weed down when it has to struggle with not enough water. Lawns can live on less water than button weed. It's going to thrive on. Secondly, there's a product called Celsius that you can spray and you're going to want to treat it. You could treat it now we're going into fall. I would definitely in spring treat it. Any of the button weed you can get out of there. And if it's so thick, this is impractical, I understand. But every time you pull a little strip of it out, you're not getting rid of the button weed. But all along that string you pull out is little buttons that are the seeds, and so you cut down on next year that way. So that would be helpful. But if you just want to go the easier route celsius, do it in the spring when it warms up enough for button weed to be actively growing. Do it again about probably three or four or five weeks later. Do the celsius again.
Speaker 26: Okay, I've got a lot of it. If I do that, it'll kill the button weed. And will I be just left with fair dirt? Do I have to resider while the Saint Augustine come back?
Speaker 2: There's a lot of I miss the very first part of that what you were saying. Say it again.
Speaker 26: All right, I have a lot of button weed. If I spray it with celsius, will it just leave bear dirt? Will the same come?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Your lawn can can take the celsius as long as the temperature is not above the low nineties. But yeah, you can use that. You just want the button weed to be actively growing, so the celsius works best. And that's why the longer we get into fall and it's cools off and it starts turning kind of purple looking, that that is not as susceptible as a celsius. Okay, I'm running a kind of short on the time, so I'm gonna I'm gonna run. But good luck with that. And that's my best advice for you on the button weed. Let's go to clear Lake and talk to Nef. Hey, Nef, welcome to gardenline.
Speaker 16: Hey, good MORI skip real quick. I'm fixing the laid down my fungicide this morning and do my pre emerging herbicide probably.
Speaker 25: In a couple of days. I got two smaller dogs. I always battle with this. How long until after I water it down.
Speaker 16: After I've sprayed it or whatever, not sprayed it, but laid it down the granules?
Speaker 2: Can the dogs go out there? Look at the label and it'll tell you if there is a restriction on something like that. Uh, tell me again the name of the product, please.
Speaker 16: It's it's all nitro fast that I use. It's the fungicide pre emerging herbicide.
Speaker 2: Be the eagle. Yeah, on all of those. On all of those, you're gonna apply them.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: And the barricade, you're gonna water in. The fertilizer, you're gonna water in. Uh. Let let the spray the the eagle on the ground or no, it's a granular Apply the eagle and then water it into and you should be good to go because the grass takes the go up through the roots. Also.
Speaker 25: Yeah, but how long until it's safe for the dogs to go back on the grass?
Speaker 16: Is what I'm asking?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, the best answer, because it's the law, is the label. So whatever the label says. But I would say, if you watered in really good and let it dry, then that's fine to move on out there. But go to the label instead of my comment there because I'm not the I'm not the official one day answer. Okay, label, All right, I appreciate it. Thank you, Skip, Yeah, thanks a lot, appreciate you being a listener. Thanks for calling in. Well, folks, here we are. We're at the big end of the deal today. We'll be back tomorrow six am. In the morning. In the meantime, come on out the Nature's Way Resources Fall Festival. I'll be there from eleven thirty. It's already going on right now, start at nine o'clock, go till two. I'll be there from eleven thirty to one thirty. And guess what we're gonna be doing. We're gonna be given away four bags of they're super high quality, fine textured screen down, fine leaf mow compost. That stuff is black gold, four bags, one every thirty minutes. Will be giving that away. They will also have one hundred and fifty dollars gift card for me to get away out there, so wow, that's cool. They also have a couple of books, a couple of books that are being giveaways or kind of nature related books, kind of cool stuff. I'll be answering your questions. I'll be diagnosing, I'll be identifying. Or if you just want to sit there and shoot the ball and brag about things that we grew last year, we'll do that too. Come on, I'd love to meet you, all of you that have some time on your hands and are able to get away. I hope you'll come on out because in when Nature's Way puts on a fall festival. It's a shindig. And when you come, make sure your car or pick up his empty seat and bring some bags home with you, or bring it better yet, bring a trailer and load up falls for planting, brown stuff, for green stuff. See where I'm going here, Nature's very resources. You're going to be there. Why not bring that home, Get those bed ready to go, whether it's vegetables, herbs, perennial flowers, ornamental grasses, shrubs, trees, vines. We're in the season, the optimum season for success with that. Take advantage of it all right, But I will see you in the morning. Thanks for being a listener. Look forward to talking to you tomorrow.