Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: Are you afraid to take a shower behind a translucent curtain, unable to escape the image of a crazed killer with a butcher's knife, Or perhaps you worry about the mysterious plane van slowly patrolling your neighborhood looking for what exactly. Many of us only know psychopathy through fiction and pop culture, and the history of psychopathic killers is quite real. The good news is that most psychopaths are not killers. The bad news is that psychopathy is probably more malevolent and prevalent than you would imagine. The psychopath Test. Next on Monster Talk, it's actually.
Speaker 3: Quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 4: A giant airy creature, part ape and part of mass in Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland. It's a creature known as the luck Yest Monster.
Speaker 2: Monster t Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and together with Ben Radford and Karen Stoles. Now we talk about monsters, myths and science fact. Today's topic is one that we will be visiting again. Our guest is John Ronson, whose book The Psychopath Test just came out in paperback. It's a fun read about a very unfun topic. Psychopaths are in some respects quite like pod people from Invasion of the Body Snatchers. They look like you and me, they act like you and me, but inside they could be quite alien. Of course, most psychopaths are not serial killers or child molesters, but they quite simply don't have the same emotional underpinnings as most humans, and therefore no internal punishment system to prevent bad behavior. They feel no remorse, they feel no guilt, and some of them even doubt such feelings exist in everyone else, having never experienced such things themselves. This episode of Monster Talk will not protect you from psychopaths. It won't tell you how to avoid being manipulated by them or deceived, but it does give you an overview of both psychopathy and a bit of info on Ronson's book, which of course goes into much more detail. The psychopath Test isn't just a story about identifying such people. It's also a story about the abuse that can happen when people believe that they have a full proof method for such identification. For you, see, there's no cure for psychopathy, and once you're so labeled it could be nearly impossible to get rid of that label if it's been misapplied.
Speaker 4: More instrutle.
Speaker 2: Okay, today we're gonna talk to John Ronson about his This is your most recent book, right, okay, so this is The psychopath Test.
Speaker 3: It's now coming out in paperback.
Speaker 2: But you're also people our listeners may know you from the Men Who's Derek, Goats Are Them? Or any number of really cool British documentaries.
Speaker 3: So that's nice. But how did how did you come to write about psychopaths?
Speaker 5: God, I'll tell you what it was.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 1: It was I met a woman who was who married a guy internet dating, and he was he was a very gallant man. He would always walk on the road side of the pavement, for instance, which I didn't even realize was a was a gallant thing to do. That's how ungallant I am.
Speaker 6: And you know, he was very suave.
Speaker 1: And she married him and he told him that he worked for the CIA, so he'd go off for months on end to Janine your Palestine, and she'd get these texts from the CIA, like protected texts saying he's okay, he's fired, he's been injured, but he's fine. And this one for about eight years, and then she discovered that he wasn't in the CIA at all. He was a fraudster and a bigamist, and when he was in Janine, he was actually at his other family's house just down the road. So two things came from the story that just stayed with me. One was I said to Mary, so do you feel hurt by it all? And she said, well, no, because does the wilderbeast feel hurt when it's being chased by the lion? No, the wilderbeest knows it's not personal, and he's a psychopath and it's not personal. So I thought that was an extraordinary thing to say about a human being. And also I spoke to a psychologist named Martha Stout who said that the condition that this guy suffers from is the condition that effectively rules the world. That psychopathy is so powerful it's remolded society or wrong. And that reminded me of David Ike, who I wrote about in my book Them and David Ike said that giant, blood drinking, pedophile, child sacrificing lizards secretly ruled the world, and of course nobody paid David like much. Heed yeah, everyone was paying Martha stout Heed. She's a halfward psychologist, And it was basically the same theory, this race of people that aren't quite human.
Speaker 6: Are secretly ruling the world.
Speaker 1: So these were just big questions, and I want they were the questions that led me to write the book.
Speaker 3: I think It's free.
Speaker 2: You said he suffers from psychopathy, but isn't He doesn't.
Speaker 1: Psychopathy is the most pleasant feeling of all the mental disorders. There's no suffering at all because the amygdala, which is the thing that basically provides a lot of us suffering, guilty, remorse, and anxiety, underperforms in people who are called psychopaths. And so you're absolutely right, is zero suffering.
Speaker 7: John, What makes someone a psychopath? And is it a clinical term as well?
Speaker 1: Right now in the DSM, the term is APD antisocial personality disorder. The word psychopath really belongs to a man named Robert Hare, who invented the checklist, the hair PCLR checklist, which is like the gold standard for diagnosing the condition and his but you know, when you look at definitions of sociopathy or psychopathy or APD's yeah, it's the same thing. So it is a clinical thing, but unfortunately it's very hard to spot in people. It's malevolent and it's hard to spot. And so Hair came up with this twenty point checklist of sort of nuances of behavior that if you're qualified in the checklist, you can learn to spot them. You can learn to root them out even when they're pretending to be normal by their linguistics, their terms of praise and so on, which struck me again as a huge thought, is not open to terrible abuse. So I decided to become a psychopath spotter, and indeed immediately started abusing my.
Speaker 5: Power, as one might expect you would have, you know, with achieving this newfound power, I was curious about when you know in your book, obviously, in your new book, you're exploring psychopaths, although in your previous books you know particularly them. I think you've obviously spoken with you talked about David a before and others as well. I'm wondering whether, in light of your new research in your new book, if there are people that you interviewed previously for your other books, or if your article or anything else, that you are now either more or less concerned about having more having more experience and insight into psychopaths, or you know, maybe people who you said, well, actually they seem to be fine, or really, oh my god, I'm surprised you didn't rip my eyes outneath them.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, I certainly have one or two suspects in mind from previous books, as there's one person I can think of in the Minister at Coats. Everybody else in the Minister at Coats, I think no way they in any way psychopathic in them, you know what, It sounds sort of funny because them is populated with your white separatists and white supremacists and hardcore conspiracy fists and Alex Jones and and in them, I can't really think of anyone who would strike me obviously as a psychopath. We can talk about that some more if you like. I can't think of because there's somebody who I interviewed one time, and I don't want to name him because he would probably sue me, and he's such a bastard, he'd probably pursue me to the ends of the earth. Well yeah, and so consequently would just take enormous pleasure from doing it, So I won't name him. But I can certainly think of one person who I've encountered over the years who there's no question in my mind is psychopathic. And there's another person I've just thought I feel I would suspect. But I feel bad about sort of just labeling like like some kind of you know, gun for hire, like just labeling people with such a huge with such a huge rose. I mean, for a while, I sort of wondered, No, I can't say. I mean, I'd love to say, I just feel like I can't. Well, this is what I will say that, and some people might disagree with what I'm about to say. But if you're an ideologue, if you believe in something bigger than yourself, doesn't that mean that you're not psychopathic? Because if psychopathy is a very very selfish thing, it's all about it's all about boosting yourself in society at the.
Speaker 6: Cost of everybody else.
Speaker 1: So if you if you're a genuine ideologue, if you're Oma Bakri Muhammad or David Iiic or you know, people who seem to really really believe what they what they say, that sort of negates the idea.
Speaker 6: That they're psychopathic.
Speaker 1: I think, as I say, some people might disagree with that, but that feels logical to me.
Speaker 7: A delusional instead or something else not.
Speaker 1: Even oh yes, yes, yes, yes, yes absolutely, But David Aika, it's very hard to work him out, very hard.
Speaker 2: Well, it seems like it would be tricky though, to distinguish between someone who's a true ideologue and someone who's using that sort of ideology to fulfill their own personal power goals like certain religious leaders come to mind where it turns out that you know, they're actually quite selfish or doing things against their religious creeds behind the scenes while espousing certain values.
Speaker 1: Most certainly that's the giveaway unctionably, Yeah, definitely, because you know one of the items on the checklist is cunning, manipulative, and another item is callous, lack of empathy, and all the things that would say, yeah, you would use religion as a way of kind of cloaking your true intentions.
Speaker 3: Gotcha? So can you just tell us a little bit?
Speaker 2: I mean, I would like people to actually read the book, But what is the psychopath test itself?
Speaker 3: What does that actually entail doing?
Speaker 1: So it's this twenty point checklist which I learned over three days in a marquet in West Wales with Robert Hare, who's the king of psychopath spotting. And as I say, unlike a lot of disorders, the diagnose isn't usually invited to take part in their own diagnosis because if the psychopath it means they will manipulate, they'll manipulate the test. So they're diagnosed from a farm more often than not. And it's basically through studying the way they respond to certain questions. So I'll give you one example from my book. I went to meet a man named Toto Constant who was a Haitian death squad leader. I met him in prison in Upstate New York where he's sting twelve to thirty seven years for mortgage fraud. So not only was he a death squad leader, he was also a mortgage fraud so which is item twenty on the checklist Criminal Versatility. So I went to see him and he kept saying to me, you know, I just want people to like me. It's really important that people like me. And after a while I said to him, isn't that a weakness, just desperately wanting someone to like you? And I said, no, it's not a weakness. And I'll tell you why. If you can get people to like you, you can manipulate them to do whatever you want them to do so straight out of the checklist, and it proves I came away from this with no doubt in my mind that the hair checklist is accurate, but I have huge doubts about the way that it's used in society.
Speaker 7: So if APD is a clinical disorder, is there some kind of treatment for this?
Speaker 6: No treatment?
Speaker 1: This is a kind of nihilistic story. Well, I say no treatment, but I'm going to caveat that in a secon The majority of people who work with people with ABD or psychopathya or whatever you want to call it, will say no. You know, they only they only stop being malevolent when they just get too old and lazy to get up off the sofa. So it's a kind of dark story. So, for instance, I was in Stockholm last week and I met somebody who works with psychopaths, and he said, re offenders who aren't psychopathic tend to stop around the age of fifty, but re offenders who are psychopathic tend to just carry on until they literally can't crawl out the door. Saying that, there's other people who will say that there's some evidence that cognitive behavioral therapy can work if you can convince the person that it's in their own best interests to change, and there are units that you know in Britain and America that try that out.
Speaker 6: Also.
Speaker 1: Since my book came out, obviously, I've had huge amounts of correspondence with everybody, from psychopaths, to people who believe that their wife or husband or boss or father is a psychopath, and to people who believe it almost certainly wrongly. And I've had a couple of emails and people who say, I am a psychopath. I've been diagnosed with a psychopath. It's no question. I'm definitely a psychopath. And I'm sick of it. I'm sick of just leaving a kind of trail of malevolence in my way, and I want to change. I want to use my psychopathy for good. And one of them said I want to use it to become a better church missionary, and another one said to become a better salesman. And you know, on both occasions, I believe them.
Speaker 7: And I'm just wondering, where do you draw the line between mental illness and some kind of ethical or moral position that they have or lack thereof.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's not a mental illness, it's it's mental illness is defined pretty much when you have you know, loucinations or delusions or you know, things that can be helped with medication. And psychopathy is is probably better described as a as a as a moral deficiency because there's no empathy because that part of the brain underperforms, there's no real morality. Is just a sort of you know, feel or sort of field of dead crops where empathy and remorse and guilt should be. Well, yeah, it's I mean, this is everything I'm saying here is kind of difficult for me to say because it goes against all my liberal sensibilities, you know, because I'm raised to believe, and basically do believe that everyone's basically the same. You know, everyone's basically just like me. So yeah, empathetic and wanted to do good and wanted to be a good person. But yeah, the evidence is that, you know, there's one one hundred of us who actually aren't just like us, that they're completely different. But you can see that everything that I'm saying is open to like real abuse because if you start thinking of these people as like not quite human, Yeah, imagine the things you can justify yourself doing to them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 5: Actually, it's interesting in a couple of places in your book, and also in your earlier book. Then I found what seemed to be some slightly surprising statements. For example, you that I quote, he says, I'd always believe to say to be a fundamentally rational thing. And I'm wondering, is this true or is this just a journalistic conceit? I mean, did you know you really, you really did believe the society was fundamentally rational.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't mean that an insulting way. I'm just kind of surprised.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, you know, I mean, yeah, I guess. I mean, obviously, I know there's an awful lot of irrational people in the world, and I know that, you know, irrationality.
Speaker 6: Quite often drives me.
Speaker 1: It's a more powerful engine in my life, the rationality. But you know what popped into my head when you when you asked me, that was my father, you know, saying to me, I remember that nineteen seventy or not, in sentiated Margaret Thatcher gets in to power, I'll take us all.
Speaker 6: Out for dinner.
Speaker 1: You know, my father was a was a conservative small businessman who believed that our leaders are political leaders were rush and all beings, and I guess I came you know, I came up with a similar you know, I was influenced by that, and I don't believe it anymore, But but I did believe.
Speaker 5: It, and you certainly hadn't been through the the the experience of George W. Bush, otherwise that would be crystal clear that that, certainly our rational is not quite the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unquestionably, But I always kind of saw that stuff, you knows, as the exception that proves them rule.
Speaker 6: Although of course I don't live.
Speaker 1: In the country that's you know, how many people believe in God and Americans and that sort of like eighty percent or ninety percent or something something. Yeah, so obviously I don't come from a country like that, so it's probably easy too, fair point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And next on philosophy talk, I mean, I do I do understand, like you know, I mean to say, it's a I don't want to get off on a tangent. But there is the whole thing about Thomas Hobbes and social contract and even in the most dysfunctional societies, you'd have to suspect that there is some rational basis for allowing a government to exist which protects the people. It's just that the flavors of protection can range from you know, some sort of almost anarchy to fascism, you know, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure absolutely, and it's and yeah, I'm just the sort of idea that you know, people rise up the ladder on the basis of merit. I mean, as I say, obviously, now I'm in my forties and I can see the world much more for what it is now. But you know, growing up in a in a sort of suburban house and way, I just kind of believe that. I just believe that, you know, that the further you go up the ladder, the more rational and we were the crazy ones going to go out down below. And obviously that's clearly not true, but it's certainly what I believe.
Speaker 2: Let's let's get back onto psychopathy and more specifically the role of psychopaths and monster lore. Well, let me ask you this way, did did doing this research change your opinion on the image of psychopathy and popular culture?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, well, Hair said to me almost almost at the very beginning, you know, there there are no accurate portrayals of psychopaths in the movies. And then he caveatd that by saying that actually there is one. And what he told me who it was, I thought, you know, you're absolutely right, and it's it's the Sissy Space character in bad Lands Holly, you know the way that she If anybody listening to this hasn't seen bad Lands, you've got to go and see it anyway, because it's, you know, one of one of the greatest movies ever. But there's what she really displays is one of the items on the checklist, which is shallow affect and inability to experience a range of emotions, and so you ape other people's emotions totally constant. The Haitian Desk godly To at one point pretended to cry and from to me and it was just obviously pretending it wasn't real. And in bad Lands Holly, Holly's entire voiceover is like cliched statements that she had read in movie magazines. And so that's a beautifully drawn portrayal of somebody who has this condition. But yeah, certainly, people like Anthony Hopkins in Science of the Lambs, that's that's much too kind of baroque to be true. They're not that their charisma is superficial. That's another really interesting thing about them is that they're they're not massively charismatic. There, they're ostensibly charismatic. And the more time you spend with them, the more you realize that the charisma is like a sort of it's like a front, it's like a it's like a it's like a sort of film as you know, as opposed to being any modern skin deep.
Speaker 7: And is that an easy thing for us to identify or is there any way for lay people to be able to see that others?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but of course, you know, it's incredibly dangerous, and I've had so many I mean, I see my book, I see the psychopathest as a cautionary tale where I sort of take people into the world of the power crazed psychopath spotter and then take them out again by pointing out that actually it's you know, it's difficult and morally dangerous. You know, being a psychopath spotter can turn you a little bit psychopathic, so obviously it's it's a really dangerous hobby. Yet yeah, I think you can spot certain things.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: The weird thing about human nature is that when our brains go wrong, they go wrong in uncannily similar ways. A classic example of that is OCD where you know, it's basically the same rituals all over the world. And I think psychopathy is another example of that that it's obviously it's the opposite. I mean literally, psychopathy is the opposite to OCD because OCD is an anxiety disorder and psychopathy is an absence of anxiety disorder, you could say. But but weirdly, it's kind of similar that they use similar terms of phrays, they behave in similar ways, and you can find ways to you know, you can notice it if you know how to.
Speaker 5: I'm wondering about whether psychopathy seems to be a sort of a long and short term thing. Obviously it can be both. But you know, typically when when I think of of psychopaths, and like maybe when that when the public does, it tends to be in the sort of this glorified baroque context of you know, you know, we think with serial killers whatever else. But in the case of serial killers, serial killers are by definition successful because they have been successful in eluding capture in order to kill you know, several people in case in some cases you know, it does or more. And so by definition, if you're a serial killer, you've gotten away with it at a certain number of times. But if you're psychopath, you may or may not have been, you know, fooling people and basically leaving leaving a trail of victims for for you know, months or years or decades. Can you tuggle about that?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Absolutely? I mean, I think.
Speaker 1: One great tool that they have is the fact that they sort of use our liberal sensibilities that we just don't believe that other people aren't quite like us, and so they tend to get away with an awful lot of stuff because we just can't imagine.
Speaker 6: That people have.
Speaker 1: Motives that are completely different to ours, I think on a sort of everyday office type basis. Also, you've got the problem that the capitalism, but it's it's most remorseless, tends to reward psychopathic behavior. So we tend to make them our leaders. So we're sort of dazzled by them, and and so we make them our leaders.
Speaker 6: Am I answering the question right here?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was just curious in terms of again the notion that you know, for example, you might just encounter someone who is just sort of temporary psychopath who who isn't who isn't you know, a hardcore at their at their on a fundamental level psychopath. But they do exhibit psychopathic tendencies now and then versus somebody who you know for thirty or forty years in the example you gave it as we opened up, who manipulated someone into believing that you know this, they had this, you know, this double life of a CIA operative.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure well clinically speaking that there really isn't such thing as a temporary psychopath.
Speaker 6: It's it's you just you.
Speaker 1: Are one from from the age of ten to the day you die, which again sounds instead of being thehilistic. But the reason why I say the age of ten is because you know, one of the items on the checklist is is early behavior problems, which is, you know, extreme bad behavior that starts around the age of ten. You can see, you know, when you start bringing kids and children's behavior into it again, it becomes open to like incredible abuse because kids go through all sorts of stuff as we all know. However, it tends to always start around the age of ten. So there's no such things a temporary psychopath. But there's every such thing as a psychopath who can go through life without ever hurting somebody physically, certainly physically, you know, almost every psychopath doesn't become a serial killer. It's a tiny, tiny minority. So, but Hair would say they are always malevolent. There's no such thing as like a positive psychopath. You know, there will always be a cheating husband or a terrible both, you know, and so on, so that they can probably go through quite a long time without committing, you know, without doing that much harm. But Hair would say they will always do harm, and they'll do it forever. Again, you can see why this stuff is kind of dangerous sounded because you know, this is a this is a monster podcast, and there's a terrible danger in thinking of other human beings as monsters.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: A concept for me is this is a very kind of contradictory thing because I agree with the checklist. Yeah, I'm you know, I find it's a really morally, you know, difficult area.
Speaker 2: So you just touched briefly on the idea that a psychopath might be able to rise high in business, and and here in America, and I don't know how this plays out in the UK, there's this big movement to treat corporations as a kind of in any almost like a human being. Have you give any thought to how corporations themselves, not just.
Speaker 3: The people who run them.
Speaker 2: But if you treated them as hypothetical humans, how might corporations fare on the psychopath test? Because I'm wondering, like, what percentage of powerful corporations, if not run by psychopaths, might literally be psychopaths.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I've got to say it's hard to not look at I mean, this gets into sort of polemical termtory, which I'm always slightly suspicious of, but it is hard to see certain industries is not, you know, as not being like a sort of physical manifestation of psychopathy. For instant journalism at its worst can be that it's all about manipulating people for profit. At its worst, you know, the phone hacking scandal that's going on in Britain at the moment, and so on, the subprime banking business when they were deliberately seeking out vulnerable people to ensnare with loans that would keep them enslave for the rest of their lives. The American healthcare industry strikes me as a really problematic and mystery. So so yeah, you know, it wasn't it Mitt Romney who said corporations to people my friend? And yeah, the answer, Yeah, it's like they are. They can be real bastards at times, they can be psychopathic.
Speaker 7: So, John, did you talk to many psychopathic killers in your research?
Speaker 1: No, I went to I mean there was Toto, the Haitian death squad leader, and there was a man called Tony, who I write about a lot in the book, who beat somebody almost to death but didn't actually didn't actually kill him, thankfully. So the answer is that is kind of is.
Speaker 7: Sort of so that it normally have tendencies to kill.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 1: I mean Tony's problem was, and he's one of the main characters in the book, was He's not predatory like a lot of psychopaths. This is where you get into the kind of nuances by the way of the checklist, because one of the items on the checklist is cunning, manipulative, and another another item on the checklist is impulsivity. And critics of the hair checklist will say, well, how can you have those two in one checklist? And what Tony was was impulsive and with poor behavioral controls. But he would but he would never has never stalked somebody. You know, He's never kind of plotted, coldly plotted. He's much more kind of impulsive. He's a kind of bar fight type guy as opposed to a cold plotter.
Speaker 5: I have to say one of the one of the particularly interesting examples from your book is a woman named Rachel North. I was wondering if you could tell us a little bit about her.
Speaker 1: Sure, I mean this is this gets to a part of the book which isn't really about psychopathy. It's more about the use of of of madness in journalism.
Speaker 5: But it's such a fascinating story you have to tell us.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's an incredible story. She was well, she is a friend of mine, and she was on one of the trains on July seventh, which blew up. She was in the same carriage as one of the bombers, but she was okay, and she became a spokesperson for the July seventh survivors. They were pushing for a public inquiry and they were meeting in pubs, this kind of support group, and she came a spokesperson. And one day she was googling herself and she discovered that there was a whole bunch of people talking about how she didn't exist and was in fact a team of mi I five officers who were tasked was spreading disinformation about the truth of July seventh, which was that it was not an inside job. This is a different it's a different theory that it was an an accidental power surge had knocked out the London underground and to cover it up, the Blair government had blamed Islamic militants, which has to say, does does seem like using a sledge hammer to cracking.
Speaker 6: I don't know what.
Speaker 1: No, and no one died on the bus. It was it was fake. It was actors and stunt men on the bus. So Rachel emailed them and said, I do exist, and it's not nice, you know, to be told you don't exist when you've just been blown up on the tube, which they took as more evidence that she didn't exist. And the more the more she tried to convince them she existed, the more they were convinced that she didn't. And there were like discussions going on about her, like I bet it ain't real, somebody said about her, I bet it ain't real. I first heard about Rachel because some nine eleven I accidentally typed my name into Google and search one day and discovered a nine to eleven truth this site that said John Ronson is is is just another Rachel north So I thought I wanted to be Rachel Norths and that's how I found out about her. And yes, we became VINDO and she ended up confronting. She ended up going to a meeting where they were all going to be discussing, you know, the truth behind July seventh, and she stood up and confronted angrily, confronted them all and got into a huge fight with them. And the ring leader of the truth is is a guy called David Shayler who was an m I five officer who became kind of hero to people, you know, to be kind of anti government left because he leaked some secrets and had to go on the run. And yeah, he kind of cropped up again as a as as the head of the July seventh Truth movement.
Speaker 6: It's incredible.
Speaker 5: I just I just thought it was a fairzing part story, partly because of the whole the whole conspiracy element and just the you know, the because the show is sensibly about monsters, although we bring in a lot of other skepticism and conspiracy and stuff. And I just thought that was such a great example of how you can have someone stand up in front of people saying I'm the person you're claiming doesn't exist, Like I.
Speaker 6: Doubt that, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: The fact that you tell me it exist is more evidence that you don't exist. I've kind of lost my sense of humor a bit about it after. You know, I've always felt very glad that I wrote Them before nine to eleven because Them is a is a sort of funny, in some ways quite sweet natured book about conspiracy theorists. And you know, when the truth of movement started, or you know, it turned conspiracy theorists into a much nasty you know, there, there was much less room for being kind of humanist about them.
Speaker 3: I thought, I enjoyed the book, but it's such a dark topic.
Speaker 2: So it was nice that there was a little humor mixed in. But it is a it is a depressing topic.
Speaker 1: Read was getting she was getting death lets, and her father, who was a country vicar, was getting you know, weird letters through the door saying you know, your daughter is a tool of you know, desiredist governments. Except so they became you know, this was a woman who nearly died, you know, terrible.
Speaker 2: So it seems like a psychopathy, like like a lot of psychology represents a spectrum of behaviors, and in the statistics about how prevalent psychopathy is, it doesn't seem to break out between the physically dangerous psychopath and the manipulative but maybe not going to stab you psychopath. Is there really a distinction there? Or is every psychopath dangerous?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: How would say every psychopath? Yeah, is dangerous because they are always malevolent. They will always cause you trouble, but more often than not it will be you know, just nasty as opposed to violent. So they'll, you know, they'll screw with your head, They'll they'll manipulate you just for their own either for their own pleasure or for their own personal gain.
Speaker 6: But they will be you up.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, it's quite often a ven diagram. You know, there's probably an awful lot of ped de fellers out there who will never do anything about it because they would feel too much guilt and shame and remorse. And those are the things that kind of keep us on an even keel. It's the ped of fellers who are also psychopaths are the ones, you know, who you have to worried about.
Speaker 7: So I was going to ask if there's any correlation between our psychopathy and intelligence at all? You mean old do they tend to be more highly intelligent?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 7: I think with some conditions people tend to have to be more intelligent. I think with like bipolarism. But is there a link with intelligence and psychopathy, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I don't. I don't think so. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Because one of the items on the checklist is need for stimulation, proneness to boredom, which implies you know that you don't want to You're certainly not going to be studious. You're not going to you're not going to be interested in learning that much. And in fact, I remember Hair saying to me that they could often seem on the surface to have like a kind of great depth of knowledge about many different things, but when you start to question them, it kind of all falls down, and again it's like it's superficial. Their knowledge is superficial and not deeply held.
Speaker 6: It's used.
Speaker 1: It's like a sort of veneer of knowledge, which is basically something that they use to further themselves.
Speaker 5: In the one of the course the threads running through all your books and especially this one, is you know, meeting with different people that you know, not only psychopaths and people with weird ideas and use And I'm wondering what's the as a as a writer and a journalist, what's the line between befriending and interviewing a person and sort of exploiting them for your book? For example, you talk about, you know, the pleasure of getting nutty quotes and wacky situations from your book and your colorful interviews, and you know you're meeting these people who are genuinely colorful, weird, strange characters. But at the same time, you know there must be sort of this weird gray area where you you want to encourage them and get their story and tell it sincerely. I mean, they're not not necessarily exploitation, But on the other hand, you also don't necessarily want to encourage the behavior that you're reporting on. So how do you how do you juggle that?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: I have to say that the older I get, the easier that gets for me, because I'm so much more aware of my own you know, colorful eccentricities and rational and so when I'm with somebody and I am trying to you know, I am exploring with them, it's some kind of strangeness. I totally feel that we're in it together, you know, the madness of life. We're in it together, and it's fine. And I really feel that, you know. I think probably when I was younger, it was much more. I was much more like kind of Dr Livingstone, you know, sort of packing.
Speaker 6: My way through the jungle.
Speaker 1: But that was when I wasn't really I was kind of less clever. I suppose I was less kind of aware of of you know, what guides all of us, which meant me, which made me, you know, I was, I was younger, and with it, I was probably a bit more patronizing, but for not anymore, and not for a long time. Nowadays, I feel, you know, as I say, I feel like we're in it together. And I'm very open with people. You know, you can tell when you listen to my radio documentaries and my TV documentaries. You know, I don't fall back. It's not like I ask one question but then right, you know way, And I'm very very open with people in quite a sort of cheerful and cheerful way, and so people just sort of talk openly. And it's because I don't feel in any way patronizing towards them. Nowadays, and I sort of feel I feel like we're all on this sort of you know, crazy irrational journey together and exploring the irrationalities is a kind of pleasant thing for us to do together. And also, by the way, I like to think that my readers feel the same way too. You know that people don't tend to read my books from a from a position of superiority. You know, I like to leaders all in together as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I didn't. I don't want to suggest that I got the sense of, you know, exploitational thing. Just that just from from my own experience and as a journalist and doing other things that you know, when you're interviewing people who you clearly disagree with and yet you have you want you respect them, and you're sincerely trying to understand them and sympathize with them, there's this sort of weird line where you know you're you're trying to not be deceptive. On other hand, you don't want to go in there with a hard nose, skeptical attitude saying what the hell are you talking about?
Speaker 1: I totally totally know what you mean, and you know what I think the answer stab This is the word skepticism because because I am a skeptic. However, when I'm in those situations, I very unless I'm with somebody who's really horrible, really mean, and I can think of one or two people like that. I mean, Sylvia Brown is what. I was on a psychic cruise with her one time, and she did fail to me. You know, the thing she was doing was so bad. I did feel like a kind of investigative journalism out to investtournalists, out to expose her.
Speaker 6: But that's really really rare. You know.
Speaker 1: Most of the time, my sort of skeptical hat kind of comes off when I'm with people or its it sort of regains itself when I'm back at home writing a bit and I want to make sure I get things sort of actually right, and I don't go into a sort of postmodern, you know, arena. But when I'm with people I don't feel, you know, particularly skeptical. I sort of tend to immerse myself in their way of being, I think, and for me, that's, you know, it's the the best way of being. I mean, you know, I'm a great fan of the skeptical movement, but that's the one part of it that I've always you know that I'm slightly critical about. You know, it can sometimes be slightly dehumanizing of of of the you know, the people who we don't agree with, and sometimes that's completely valid and justified, but on other occasions I think it's not.
Speaker 2: Well, that's sort of the bigger issue in skepticism, I think is there's that activist, you know, trying to stop you know, all medicine that doesn't work, trying to protect against scams, and at the same time.
Speaker 3: There has to be.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is a really useful worldview. Why don't you try it right? And if you if you've got like the the I don't know what they call it, the activists who want to change the world by stopping bad things. A complementary sort of group that wants to say, hey, and this is a fun way to live. You know, it's a great thing to sort of be able to have this tool set to evaluate what's real and what's.
Speaker 1: Not absolutely absolutely, but at the same time, you know, try and see it from their perspective. And obviously there's some things which you just can't you know, scammers and frauds, there were certain people out there there's just no point in drum City welcrom their perspective.
Speaker 6: But then there's other people. You know.
Speaker 1: I was in Iowa the other week talking with some people from a church group, and I had to feel the need to say to them, you know, these sex addiction, gambling addiction, you know, support groups that you have in your church. You know, it's based on a false premise. You know that I didn't. I didn't feel the need to said to them. I sort of thought, Okay, you know, if it works for you, and if people's lives are better, then that's okay.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: And so you know, so I guess I'm a little more humanistic about it than some people in the movement.
Speaker 2: Well there is that whole. Well again, that's that's the whole. There's people who are let's say, atheists who think that religion is bad and should be gotten rid of. And there's people who are atheists by definition but don't like the word atheists because of all the connotation of anti religion, which they may be perfectly okay with. So, you know, way off topic from monsters. But yeah, yeah, that's sort of that, that kind of.
Speaker 3: Self assessment by the skeptical move.
Speaker 2: I guess it's one of the reasons why I embrace a skepticism over and I think of myself as a positive humanist and a skeptic and don't spend much time working on the athm agnosticism side.
Speaker 1: Of things, right, And yeah, a humanist and a skeptic together, I think is a very good combination. That's the right combination to.
Speaker 2: Well, of course you and I think no. I actually had a question. Now that you're a little more removed for the book by time, do you still find yourself mentally testing people you encounter for psychopathy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm less but I'm more self aware about it now and I understand the pitfalls of it now. At the same time, you know what, I think it's kind of positive thing to have. It does solve some mysteries. For instance, I can think of lots of occasions when I've interviewed people over the years where they just haven't answered my questions. It's like I wasn't in the room, and.
Speaker 6: That is a.
Speaker 1: Potential sign of psychopathy, because I think interviews are kind of based on empathy, and if you have no empathy, you feel no need to please you know, the other person that you're talking to. And I said, there's no need to answer their questions. And quite recently I was interviewing somebody who just completely ignored all my questions and went off for these, you know, forty five minute answers, and I thought to myself, God, you know, this guy is incredibly annoying. And I sort of remembered what Robert Hare said about that, so I started asking him questions about his childhood. I said, you know, what kind of kid.
Speaker 6: Were you were? You were?
Speaker 1: You were a bully? I said, yes, yes, I was. I was a terrible bully. I used to jump up from behind the tree and hit people with a brick. And I said, then did you enjoy? I said, how did you feel about it? So I felt good? And I said and now looking back on it, because he was like seventy, I said, how do you feel now looking back on it? And he said, yeah, I still feel good. So there's an example of you know, using my psychopaths. I'm not going to do anything with that, but it was it was a good you know, it was a solution to the mystery of why was that guy behaving in the way that he was.
Speaker 7: Well final question time, we always like to ask our guests what their favorite monster is, so, John, what's your favorite monster?
Speaker 6: WHOA.
Speaker 1: I guess Thor doesn't count as a monster, does he?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 3: Are you frightened by Thor?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 6: I ad by a thought.
Speaker 1: I only chose thought because we sat down and watched the movie the other day and I thought it was fantastic. So Thor is at the topmost of my mind. But I guess there was a bad answer.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, no, you could do Thor if you want to. Did you not find low Ki a bit repulsive?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right, there was.
Speaker 2: There were some frost giants in that movie. It's the hymns worth it. It's all of his abs. It just takes over your mind.
Speaker 1: And then, do you know what, I've just decided my favorite monsters come up with a better monster.
Speaker 6: My favorite monsters is Jeffrey Tamble because Hank Kingsley is the best ever intelligions fair enough.
Speaker 1: And also I was listening to my own podcast the other day and oh, that guy from Scott Pilgrim was on I've Got his Name, Michael Sarah Michael, and he told the story about how when he was in arrested development, he was there with his mother on the first day shooting and Jeffrey Tambull walked past and Michael Sarah said, oh, Jeffrey, Jeffrey, and come and meet my mother. And Jeffrey Table said, I don't want to.
Speaker 6: Meet your mother.
Speaker 1: I don't carry on walking, and then turned around and came back and gave her a kiss.
Speaker 6: So he was he was kidding with it.
Speaker 1: But I just thought that that was a great monster so.
Speaker 5: Plus, of course he was in max headroom, so he gets extra points.
Speaker 6: I didn't even know he was in mac hedroom. It was oh wow's.
Speaker 2: Ben would know. Thank you so much for spending an hour with us. We appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank my pleasures. I'm I'm very happy to have done it. Okay, cool, It was good talking with you guys.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Thanks more. Thanks for listening to another episode of Monster Talk. I'm Blake Smith, and in this episode, together with Karen stoles Know and Ben Radford, we've been talking to author John Ronson about his book The Psychopath Test. A link to Rons's book is in the show notes. Thanks again to everyone who's been helping out with our transcript project. If you'd like to contribute to that work, a link to the PayPal button, as well as contact information for your hosts in all of their social media guys is in the show notes at monster talk dot org. Your Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The views expressed on this show are that of the host and the guests and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society. Monster Talk theme music is by Peach Stealing.
Speaker 8: Monkeys hungry for more skepticism want to learn the truth about the scientific controversies of our time than describe to Skeptic, the quarterly magazine Stephen J. Gould called the best journal in the field. To subscribe, visit skeptic dot com today.
Speaker 1: Hang on one second, because the plumbers are upmdoor. Just hang on set.
Speaker 3: He means he's I five controllers with that