Speaker 1: Yeah, ripped off, bad news, you need advice.
Speaker 2: So you don't have.
Speaker 3: Come running.
Speaker 4: It's just as fast as we can. Shooter's gonna help coming.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: This is the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 6: No Tom Martinez, Welcome, Welcome, my friends to the only show if it's kind.
Speaker 2: We're here to solve problems, answer questions, take complaints. Here's the bottom line. If you've been ripped off or taking advantage of, or just have a problem, maybe something's bruin in your brain right now and you want some advice, this is the place for you. Whether it's a bad contractor whether it's what kind of Internet should I get? Doesn't matter what it is. We are here for you to pick our brain. We always have experts in studio with us. Today I am proud to say I've got Frank Durand the real estate man, a good friend of mine. Frankie, how are you doing?
Speaker 7: I am well friend, Good to see you. Good morning to you.
Speaker 2: I have not seen you in three to four weeks, so it's good seeing you again. We also have Stephanie Thomas. Stephanie, how are you doing? She is our realtor extraordinary in Colorado Springs. I'm great, How are you. I'm doing very good this morning. And then John Clace CMG Home Loans. Very curious guy. Unlike a lot of people we've talked about in the past, John, you actually work for the bank, which I actually love we do.
Speaker 8: We have direct access to everything we do in the house and proprietary lending programs also.
Speaker 2: And then for people listening on our podcast, you can loan around the country. We can do all states, every single state. You can do whatever. I mean, it doesn't matter traditional thirty or mortgages fifteen, the all in one loan, you can do reverse mortgages. You've got a plethora of products we do.
Speaker 8: We can do pretty much. If you have a lending need, we should be able to do it.
Speaker 2: Do you do a lot of stuff? Were the realtors out of curiosity?
Speaker 8: We do well, you know, obviously they're they're they're they're a lifebread of the real estate industry, so we'd love to do it, you know for people out there, I mean, and Frank and Stephanie can do I mean, you pretty much have to get pre qualified before you go looking for properties these days.
Speaker 2: And you guys were talking about new home buyer stuff. We're gonna dig into that today. By the way, we do have lines open. I want to hear from you. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five three zero three Martino, any question comment you got, We'd love to hear from you. Three zero three seven one three eight two five five tariffs. Wow, John, you're kind of a money guy. I'll pick your brain. Frank and Stephanie two. I guess Trump just slapped another twenty five percent and brought it up to fifty percent on aluminum in steel coming in from Canada. The guy from Ontario is threatening to cut off power I guess to New York in some parts of Pennsylvania. I didn't even realize we got that much power from these guys. Can you imagine if they did that? Can you imagine.
Speaker 7: Playing a dangerous game of chicken?
Speaker 8: Mark?
Speaker 2: I would not play chicken with Trump in a million years. I do not see this guy back and down. He's dealing with China, he's dealing with Mexico. And if Canada is trying to set the pace on this, they're absolutely crazy. I don't think people realize this. If he starts tariffing the auto parts, their entire industry's pretty much gone. That's pretty much what they do that auto parts employees, I think more people than anybody there. I didn't realize they teariffed us as well, like two hundred and fifty percent on dairy and all these tariffs they have on us. The trade in balance is crazy. This number is probably old, but it was like three hundred and fifty billion to one hundred billion or something around there. I mean, completely upside down. I don't know what people's thoughts on it are. I'll tell you what. Watching the stock market, Wow, is it gut wrenching.
Speaker 8: Yeah, nobody really knows which way it's gonna go and how long will take. I mean I think people I think it's gonna level out. Oh I do too. I think people. You know, we needed to change, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, joh. We had to have a change. We were basically going broke. I mean, we simply couldn't afford it. One of the things Elon figured out through Doze was, you know, just our debt payment is basically the same amount we spend on security, I mean really on the military, on everything. I mean, that's an incredible amount just on the debt service interest alone.
Speaker 8: It is insane, and that you know this terriff, will see if it turns around. But I think it's more we want them to bring tariffs down against us.
Speaker 2: I think, don't you think in general, guys, it would be fair if someone tariffs you ten percent, you tariff from ten back, five to five, ten to ten, twenty to twenty, or you make a deal because maybe it's something you don't have and something they have. Plenty of vice versa. So there's different ways to do trade, evenly. But when we look at some of these trades, I didn't realize, like Germany, on a lot of cars we bring in there, there's a ton of money they tariff us, and people say, well, it's not as much as you're making out, but yeah, if you factor in the luxury tax and all these other fees and taxes and everything else they have, which you're pretty much like a tariff, it's absolutely insane. It is insane. But the stock market is just god. I can't believe what a wild ride it is.
Speaker 7: Mark, have you ever read Art of the Deal?
Speaker 2: I have not read it, Frank, And if anybody in the world should have read it by now, it's me, But I have not read it.
Speaker 7: Have you great book?
Speaker 9: I have.
Speaker 10: Well, I read it on audio because when I drive I listen to books a lot. But great book in depth.
Speaker 2: All right, well, give us some insight on it. So like what we're seeing right now, just let's just take Canada. Are we watching it unfold right in front of us? Well?
Speaker 10: Trump, you know in the book he talks a lot about keeping his options open. He would he would talk about that a lot, and he would use the law of time pressure. That's one of the negotiating tactics in a real negotiation.
Speaker 7: So well you use that, yeah, And he would use the law of time pressure very well.
Speaker 2: Explain what that is to people. I mean basically, you put him up, I need an answer by two.
Speaker 10: Yeah, right, And so basically three key nerve points of a negotiation or time pressure, information power, walkaway power. So he's very skilled at positioning himself in those negotiations where he has all three of those in quite abundance. So he might say something like like in the book, he talks about he was negotiating something and somebody says, well, I need to talk to a higher up person. He would try to take that person's resort to hire authority away to negotiate directly. With that person, put put a time pressure on him, and many times you get a better deal that way.
Speaker 2: But what do you mean he tried to That made me think of like when you go in to buy a car. You know, you're buying a car, and exactly goes, hey, I got to go negotiate and ask my manager. Yes, And really, what you think is he's going into the back room and you know, you know, playing a game of checkers, having some car. Then he comes out. I mean, is that what you're saying?
Speaker 7: That's exactly what But who are.
Speaker 2: You taking it away from? You're telling him, don'co talk to the other guy I want to deal.
Speaker 7: With because that's one of the rules in the negotiation.
Speaker 10: A lot of people will say I got to go to my manager, the result of what's called higher authority. Trump was a master at taking that away and directly negotiating with the person.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the person that claimed you how to go to the higher thority.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see what you're saying. Hey, I don't care what your boss has got to say. I want to make a deal with you. Exactly. So what's another good example.
Speaker 10: Oh gosh, he talks so much in this book. Boy, I'm trying.
Speaker 11: Mark.
Speaker 10: It's been a few years since I've read that book, but I would say that the law of walkaway power Trump when a deal no longer makes sense to him.
Speaker 7: He's not afraid to walk away. To walk away, You're like that, Mark, You're like that.
Speaker 10: I've seen you in negotiations where you're not afraid to walk away, and that actually puts pressure on the other person that they're pressed to make a sacky I.
Speaker 2: Think he did that. God, I'm going way back, but I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think he was in North Korea. He might have been Yea, but I think he literally got up and left on the little rocketman Kim Jong Ung. I mean, like literally they were there. I doubt he went to North Korea, but wherever then, I doubt they met in South Korea. They might have met in China somewhere, but I thought they were somewhere and something was going on and Trump was like later because no other world leader, I mean, for the most part, would ever even talk to this guy, at least in the Western very bold. It is very bald. So you got walk away, you got time. Yeah, it's kind of nuts. I'm just watching the sausage being made can get to you a little bit. You got to agree with that, John, I mean, we're not we're kind of used to Biden and Biden. We wouldn't know anything. I mean literally, we would know absolutely nothing. And I think we found out that it really wasn't Biden. I think I read that everything was robo signed or I mean, I don't know how true that stuff is, but I mean, really regards, listen to what we never seen anything in front of us unfold like this, and it can be h It can be a little much watching the sausage being made.
Speaker 8: And I think that's why the market's doing what it's doing.
Speaker 2: It is people don't know what to think about it. And you got to think long term, if we actually bring all the jobs back. First of all, I don't think there's gonna be a terrafor for that long. But god, I don't know. I mean, when that guy from Ontario steps in and basically says we're gonna go ahead and cut the power off, I'm like, what the hell? I'd mean, Manhattan talks about an escalation. Can you even how do you think we would respond to that? Honestly? How do you respond? And then I don't even know this. Can't we just switch that over to our own grid? I mean, are these people like legitimately out of power? I would find that extraordinary.
Speaker 8: That would be hard to believe. But I'm sure they would have to do like California.
Speaker 2: And does the.
Speaker 8: Rolling have to do something you know type thing?
Speaker 2: I have no idea how that would work if they cut it off. All right, I got to take a break. We've got three lines open. I do want to hear from you on any of this, and then, of course your problems. What we do at heart is dig in and try to get your money back. Exposed to bad guys, give you realizations three zero three seven one three talk.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 13: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 12: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: All right, three oh three seven one three eight two five five. We would love to hear from you. We got a full house. We also have Deputy D gonna show up. I guess he's I don't know if he's coming in. Susanna's Deputy D. Yup, yup, yup, yup? Uh three zero three seven one three a two five five. Let me ask you guys about this. Oh, let me tell you about Paul the water man. Check this out. I got to pull this one up. He just he texted me this last night, Paul Downing. Okay, now through Easter the can i Eco Promax thirty nine ninety five. This thing does everything, absolutely everything. It gets rid of chlorine in your water, It softens your water. On top of that, it gets rid of forever chemicals. And then on top of that system for free, you're going to get a reverse osmosis system as well. All your water is going to be covered. All for thirty nine ninety five. You're not going to find a better d Most people sell water softeners for that amount of money. And I'm not kidding just the water softener. When we bought our system from Paul, we shopped around everywhere and everybody was at least double. You're gonna absolutely love it. Check him out. And this is only through Easter, so I mean you got some time for sure, but that is a heck of a deal. Check him out at waterpros dot net. That'swaterpros dot net. Now let's talk real quick about Elon Musk. Guys, I want opinions on it. John, It appears is I mean Tesla stock. I own a bunch of it. Luckily I'm in around one hundred and ten bucks on most of it, but I definitely have bought some at higher than that. Wow, is it getting hit? It was at four eighty now it's down for whatever reason. It's doing a little better today. But do you think it's fair he's getting punished for this. People are firebombing, fire bombing, like charging stations, molotov cocktails. I think right here in Lovelander, somewhere some dealership, somebody was trying to set a bomb off or something. Something happened.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that was National News. They said they've hit him like three times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's crazy in their hate Dimitri, and they're punishing this guy big time on it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's it's kind of the opposite of what you see when let's just say the black lives matters, it's, you know, your violence. We're trying to get away from the violence. And you know it's terrible.
Speaker 2: Well, the Democrats lead this. I mean it's had pro uh you know, pro resistance. I mean, look what happened. Uh it wasn't the State of the Union, but whatever they call the first one, the meeting with Congress, the Joint Session. You know that guy got up. I forget whatever who he was, but you know, he just didn't want anybody talking but him and got up and screamed and got censured eventually.
Speaker 8: Don't you think it's crazy that, you know, the environmentalist what three four years ago, tesla, tesla, tesla, oh, and all that he's finding. They loved him this side. They just completely switched. But nothing different with the car.
Speaker 2: Well, same thing they did to Vance. Advance was their sweetheart years ago. Vance didn't like Trump at all, and he was the sweetheart. I mean, big time.
Speaker 8: But it's it's amazing how they flipped. And I think the stock's probably up today. Trump said he went out and bought a Testa.
Speaker 2: One ie one. So we've got one on order. But I'm going, like, I almost wonder if you give up to two hundred and fifty bucks and wait a little bit. But then with the terriffs coming from Canada, I start thinking, I start thinking this, my guy, Tesla might be the only affordable car here. So, I mean, it's kind of a it's got you're over there smiling. Tomitree joined in on that, what do you make of this beating of Elon Musk right now? I mean, they're they're beating them up, man. People are afraid to invest in them. They're fireballing stuff in. All he's doing. All he's doing is going into government and cut. It's absolutely amazing to me that even Democrats I can't understand why. I mean, I guess some of them want, you know, a transgender play in Europe or whatever the hell all this weird money from USAID was going to. But the majority of them don't. I understand some of them do, but I mean, I just don't get this beating up on Musk.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's not surprising, right, I Mean, we've been dealing with a really hysterical minority all these years, and they truly are a tiny, tiny minority.
Speaker 2: But boy, are they laughed.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, that's.
Speaker 14: Exactly why we a lot of us wonder in the impression where that there were a lot more of them. And that's underscored by the number of politicians on the left side that are pandering to what turned out to be a tiny and probably insignificant minority, as we'll soon find out.
Speaker 2: I used to say that to Tom all the time. He says, everybody over here is saying there's no way Trump can win, and there's no way Joe Biden's going to step down. And I'm like, who are these people you're listening to? Because as I travel the country, whether it's California or Montana, or New Mexico or Wyoming, California, Las Vegas, Georgia, all these places Suzanna and I were in last year, multiple times, everybody was Trump, Trump, Trump. So you're right, it is a small minority. But the voices are so loud, and they're so you know, people laugh at me all the louder he is, the writer he is. But there is some truth to that. I mean, they are very loud and vocal.
Speaker 14: I mean that's the hallmark of hysterical people, right, I mean, that's actually the origin of the term hysterics, and so that's why they've been so loud and so visible. But frankly, I think we'll find them to be less and less significant in the coming months.
Speaker 2: I think the economy is going to start turning. I mean it could be three weeks. It depends how this tariff goes. And when I say the economy, I mean that in general, the stock market. I think interest rates, John, this is what you do for a living. Where do you see enter straits?
Speaker 8: Yeah, we've seen them just even drop this week, come down a little bit.
Speaker 2: What are they at? Six and a half?
Speaker 15: Six?
Speaker 8: Six and a half sound maybe a little bit lower, depending on what.
Speaker 2: The high you guys remember, including you guys, I mean, did we ever see over eight? Was that? Were you closing loans at eight or now?
Speaker 8: Yeah, we closed seven and a half close to eight, but it never really got above eight, but didn't get below seven for a while. So seven and a.
Speaker 2: Quarter six and a half's good.
Speaker 8: Six and a half is good for right now. It's been good. I mean, and you know the way this market moves, it could go right back to seven.
Speaker 2: What's your crystal ball? Say? And say, I don't know, I don't know three months, which you know, what does it say we.
Speaker 8: Should get the rate cut the you know, the fad they should they should do a quarter now with what's going on, they should do a you know, because the job market came a little weaker.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it wasn't that bad.
Speaker 8: Though, it wasn't that bad.
Speaker 2: Those numbers weren't bad. I wonder how people are gonna panic when the government numbers come in.
Speaker 8: Well, then that's kind of what they're talking about, is those numbers. But so I think six and a half. You oh, you may creep down to six on a quarter, but you won't get money. You know, they're not going to do Do.
Speaker 2: You know anybody that works for the FEDS personally personally? No, no m tree to you. Uh like in the federal government, not no of the mad Do you know anybody who's got a FED job? Not no of them, but know them?
Speaker 14: Oh no, I just I just have an acquaintance who had a very responsible job in a in the Social Security Inspector General's office.
Speaker 2: I mean it's his job. Okay.
Speaker 14: He retired at a very young age a few years ago, and uh, he made a ton of money.
Speaker 2: And he wasn't affected by any of this. No, No, he's currently.
Speaker 16: Anybody in the federal government. I don't know any.
Speaker 2: Frank, do you know anybody not that I could think of, Mark Stephanie.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 2: I mean I've got clients that are It was remarkable. My parents, who are pretty big liberals, actually made the comment to me, Oh, you don't know anybody in the federal government. And I turned around the question on them and I said, who do you know that works for the Fed? And they couldn't name one person. They could name one person that retired years ago, but other than that, they're like, Oh, don't you feel bad. I'm like, some of these people haven't showed up for work apparently forever.
Speaker 16: They do a really great job staying invisible, staying off the radar.
Speaker 2: All they had to do was answer an email and then possibly go back to work. What's the big deal when Facebook, when Meta called everybody back, when Google called everybody back, But when Trump calls everybody back? And these are people we pay that you know, ultimately we're the ones that create their payroll. And I like seeing them go to work.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that's the definition of an entitled, entitled mindset is you're not even you're put out by the mere request to say what you did last week? It's just you know, a couple of sentences, what did you do last week?
Speaker 16: And they're completely bent out of shape about that request.
Speaker 14: You know, most of us would be proud of it, right, we proudly answer an email like that.
Speaker 2: I absolutely love talking about this stuff. I honestly, God do gonna get hate mail though on it. But yet you know, and now there's no doubt about it. But if you really truly do have a problem or question, or you want to tell us about something you need help with three zero three seven one three eight two five five. I want to pick Dmitri's brain on Ukraine when we come back.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: Reo three seven one three eight two five five. I got to beat up to meet Tree a little bit here. So I'm going to tell a story. And this all came about because I'm getting to Kolonosky after the show. Like I said, a little TMI, but you know what, I think it's important to talk about, and I'm going to tell you why. The best man at our wedding, Don Williams, died from colon cancer. And before he died, when he was on his deathbed, he had about two or three years of struggling. That was crazy. He called me up. He lived in well Rosie, Delaware, somewhere on the East coast when he passed, but we went out to his funeral. It was just heart wrenching. He's my age. I grew up with the guy. So he called me up, Dmitri, and I'm telling you this for a reason, and he said, the one thing you have to do, he goes. I was afraid to do it. I never got a kolonoskby I just kept putting it off, and then I started having symptoms. I don't know what the symptoms were. I forget. He did describe him he had problems going to the bathroom. He had all kinds of problems, but he waited until the problems came and it was too late, stage four, and he said, no matter what you do, get out there and do this. And this was roughly middle of COVID, probably middle of COVID, maybe a year. And he told me that, and I was just turning fifty, and so it was three years ago. So I immediately immediately scheduled mine and I ended up getting like a month early. Funny enough, though, Kaiser now starts at forty five, not fifty, because too many people are having trouble waiting till fifty. So I went in and I did have polyps. And what I learned is if you have polyps, they cut them off. They're gone. They do it all in the same procedure, and the bottom line is if they didn't turn cancerous, you're fine. I mean, that's it. They got rid of it. It's done, and there's absolutely no pain to it. But when you told me your age and the fact you've never had one and you rely on blood tests, I'm going to tell you story number two. We know someone very well, Susanna, and I not only relied on blood test for a colonoscopy. One of them actually did this. You take a sample and you send it in. It's called cola guard. Yeah, that's what I just got signed up for. Yep. They took coli guard and the col of guard came back fine, negative, no problem. Two years later, roughly two years later, stage two or three colon cancer. It didn't find it. It was there the whole time and Coli guard missed it. And we were just told by our doctor. What did they tell us about that? Not only a week ago? In Kaiser? Yeah, the nurse said, a couple of weeks ago, I went in for my first colonoscopy, getting ready for my second.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 11: But I said, hey, I did that collar guard thing a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: It came back good.
Speaker 7: She goes, Oh, the only thing that finds is hemorrhoids.
Speaker 2: She liked, just poop poo the whole thing. Noticed my little play on words there, poopoo the whole thing. But you get what I'm saying. It's ridiculous, man. You have to get and that goes for anybody listening out there. I don't care what age you are. After losing Don Williams like that and then having a good friend of ours. Now thank god, she's doing okay. I think she's good actually, but that doesn't mean anything for a lifetime. I mean, I hope she's good forever. But you know, no one wants it. It can always come back and it can always pop up. So I mean, you know, it's cancer. Who knows. We all deal with it in our lives, and it's really scary. You have to get it done. I mean, you really do, there's no doubt about it. Now that I beat you up on that, you're going to get an appointment.
Speaker 8: Right by the way.
Speaker 14: I yeah, and I appreciate that's that is a wake up call. And you know, sometimes well need a reminder of something that's super obvious like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're so healthy, you're always trying. You're trying to lower your cholesterol. You're losing weight, which I mean, you don't even really got to lose weight, but I know that lasts ten pounds whatever, and you exercise and you're almost the zero carbs, very low carbs.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I'm in a keutogenic diet and have been there for five years now. It changed my life. Yeah, and I have blood tests, full blood tests, twice a year to see what's going well and what needs attention.
Speaker 2: And then you overlook something so massive.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and I think I did that, you know, subconsciously intentionally, because my primary health provider has recommended that to me on a number of occasions, probably over the past five or six years now. So I just I believe me. I'm taking it one hundred percent seriously as of right now, especially after listening to your exam and then.
Speaker 2: The other thing. I'll tell people that have never gone through it, and I do feel this is like a public service announcement after losing don I'm not kidding. There's no pain to it. The anxiety leading up to it is probably the worst. And then you're in this, at least the procedure that we've had done. You're in a twilight and I actually remember the whole thing. I remember watching the monitor and him going, oh, there's a poll up cut and it's like, oh, okay, and you're kind of just like, yeah.
Speaker 16: They do that at the same time as the examination.
Speaker 2: Everything. Man, Oh yeah, when you're done, you're done. There's absolutely no pain. And how that's possible till this day, I have no idea how they scope you your body like that and you feel nothing. I mean it's the sedatives, I'm sure, but it's still remarkable how it's not uncomfortable. It's just leading up to it, and then even afterwards, it's not like coming out from total sedation. It's at twilight you're okay, like in a half hour, so, I mean you'll need a ride home. But other than that, and then the whole thing takes maybe forty five minutes to an hour. There's nothing to it, and I'm.
Speaker 16: Not sure amazing.
Speaker 2: I'm telling everybody that because that's it. I mean, you really have to have it done. And once again, if they do find a polyp, you don't freak out. The doctor will come in. They usually do a biopsy on it, make sure it wasn't cancerous and if and most of them can tell by looking at it, they're like, yeah, we had a pollop. I mean it looked fine. It looked like, you know, a normal polyp that's not cancerous. And you know they examine it.
Speaker 14: Do they examine that sample for cancer cells right there while you're still during in the previger.
Speaker 2: No, they're used to quote eyeballing it if you will, but then they'll send it out for a biopsy, okay, and then if with Kaiser, at least a couple of days later the test results come back. But I think it's very important for everybody out there, men, women. Kaiser's now forty five, so the old thinking of way till you or fifty I would not do. It's so it's so easy to catch early, and it's so easy to eradicate for the most part, long as you stay on it. Because I had polyps, my next one was in three years. If you don't have any polyps like Suzanne, you probably she probably won't have to have another one for ten years, so they figure out what's going on with your body and go from there. So that's it. So will my promise I'll come to you after this break. We do have lines open. I hope I'm not boring everybody on that, but it's so important. If you have loved ones, even older people that have kids that haven't had them done, and you know kids in their forty five plus. Please I promise you get it done. It can save everybody's life. I promise, I promise. I dealt with this personally with Don Williams three oh three seven one three eight two five five God, it's a slow call day. I want to hear your calls. And we've got some good guests in here. We've got Frank durand Stephanie Thomas, of course, Dmitri, my lovely wife Suzanne, and then John Clace with CMG. Everybody Hold tight three zero three Martino.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 13: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 12: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation in comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three, seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: All right, three oh three seven one three eight two five five three oh three Martino, Hey, Patrick, what is going on with you? Wilma gets you after this? What's going on? Patrick?
Speaker 17: I'm just looking for like an autobody shop. You guys recommended Michael's Auto bout to beat.
Speaker 2: They're gone to me.
Speaker 18: Yeah, they're gone. I don't know.
Speaker 19: They were great, but they're gone.
Speaker 20: I was seemed as anybody else in.
Speaker 17: The Elizabeth Parker, bring Town, Castlerock area.
Speaker 2: Man nobody that I'm going to put my name on there. I just I just don't know. I haven't had to use one since Michael's and it drives me crazy. They're gone. I love Michael. He lost his wife from cancer like five or six years ago, so he went through a tough time and basically he you know, he found himself just working all the time. I think all of us would kind of fall into that. And he built that. And he used to be in a little shop or a medium sized shop in Castle Rock. Then they went to that big shop down in the industrial area. They worked on a ton of listeners cars. They worked on two or three of our cars. Never had any complaints. Every time I pick somem up, it was great. Then he sold and I was a little bummed out, but I was like, okay. I stopped in after he sold, and I saw that some of the same faces were at the counter and the guys in the back more importantly, and I'm like, okay, the guys doing the body besides Michael are still here, but like fast forward, less than a year, they're out of business. I'm blown away. But if anybody, I'll throw this out there. Does anybody know a good body shop in Douglas County, maybe Monument to Castle Rock and then possibly East. I know there's one in Franktown, but I know nothing about him, absolutely nothing. I would love to hear from somebody that's got a good one because I'm gonna need one eventually. And Patrick, it sucks, man. I don't know who else to tell you. We have calls on body shops all the time. In fact, the biggest thing right now, Patrick, is timeframe. I mean we had people calling in and you know, they're told a month and it turns out to be a couple months. It's horrible, what's wrong with your car?
Speaker 17: So I bought it, no problems with it, and then slowly, after about a year of owning it, the rear side quarter panel all the paint that started coming off that shit like so it was in a It wasn't just paint. It turned out to be bondo.
Speaker 15: It used to previously was.
Speaker 17: In an accident apparently, and.
Speaker 2: Yep it was.
Speaker 17: Yeah, let's see who did it in one of the big big shops that work for all the dealerships and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did it, and they didn't do a great job. It sounds like no, Well, we'll see if anybody. We'll see if anybody calls in. I mean, we got to find a good body shop. I know there's some out there. I would assume there's another good one in Castle Rock. Honestly, I'm just not sure who they are, nor have I used them. But when I discovered Michael's years ago, I couldn't have been happier. We had a little faux pas, or they did when we picked it up, and uh, I mean they immediately took care of it beyond just great, guys. I hate when of business sells. Have you guys ever dealt with that? Hey? Thanks for the call. Patrick? Three oh three seven one three A two five five. Have you guys ever dealt personally anybody? I don't care if it's a restaurant or anything where the business sells and then it just goes to hell? I mean like literally, So I sold my last okay, I sold my computer store, and the computer store sold two computer stores and they both went out of business within a year. Stephanie, how long that Parker one as soon as they Oh, I think that was less than a year. Less than a year. I mean, the guy gave me two underd k out of his four oh one k. All he bought, honestly was a customer list. That was great my cash flow in a lease. He didn't buy any property, maybe ten grand worth of inventory. Two under grand out of his four oh one k. Him and his kid ran it into the ground within less than a year. The first thing they did was they went to my manager that was still there working for him, and took away his health as soon as they took away his health insurance. I mean, you can see where his thoughts went. He was no longer that loyal to him because they weren't being loyal to him. They just couldn't do anything right, and they wasted all their money. I mean that's the bottom line. And then same with the last Goodyear store, except a little different. The guy spent Ultimately, he did okay because he sold the building. I sold him the building in the business. But he ran the building into the ground within a year. And that one was all commercial accounts. It couldn't have been easier to make money. It was all commercial accounts. You always get paid and the driver is not the one approving stuff, so they could care less. It was the easiest stuff in the world. You couldn't run it into the ground, and somehow he did it. Wilma Hold tight, whoever's on two Hold Tight three zero three seven one three talk.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're contenth time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with remax a li allons three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: Ripped off news need advice?
Speaker 4: Who you don't have them? Runs just as fast as we can. Shooter's gonna help come.
Speaker 2: This is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martinez Welcome, Welcome, my friends to the only show of it's kind. We're here to solve problems, answer questions, take complaints. You've been ripped off or just have a question. We'd love to hear from you. Three zero three seven, one three eight two five five been a little slow today, got two lines open, would love to hear any questions. We've been talking about a range of different things, including the home market and the finance market, because we've got John Clay CMG home Loans in in the house. We also have Frank Durant, the real estate man, Steph Thomas, realtor up in the Pike's Peak Region. Real Quick guys, Pike's Peak Region. How's it up down medium when it comes to buying and selling a home? Like, what's your average inventory right now? Steph?
Speaker 21: You know so Colorado Springs has a little over seventeen hundred current active property?
Speaker 2: Is that norm?
Speaker 21: We're actually up a little bit for properties, but our days on market are really increasing as well, so.
Speaker 2: That means everything slowing down.
Speaker 16: Oh, definitely.
Speaker 2: That's about new builds. You guys have a lot of new construction. We do.
Speaker 21: We really have a lot of new construction, especially in that kind of the northeast and southeast sides of towns, and there's some others, you know, kind of scattered around, but primarily we see them building up in those areas.
Speaker 2: Something I tell people all the time. Frank, you've helped us with this on the show a few times, but in John you might know something about this. But new home contracts are nothing like standard real estate contracts. I mean, you have no idea what you're getting into. In fact, I'll give you one from a lending side. How does this work? You guys represent new home buyers right, And you're crazy not to use a realtor and possibly even an attorney if you're looking at buying a new build. I don't care if it's a custom builder or KB Homes or Lenar or whoever's out there building track homes these days. I think you're absolutely crazy not to use a realtor, at minimum possibly an attorney. Effect I'd say I use an attorney. But here's the deal man. There's a lot of clauses in there that say, hey, if lumber goes up and look at the tariffs we have coming right now. Seriously, the cost of building a new house could be a hell of a lot more, just like it was in covid than anything. We had so many people. You in Colorado Springs there was a not a town home, a kind of minium and there was about eight people that called us all in the same amount of time. They finally finished it up, John and they wanted fifty thousand more seventy five thousand more per unit to people that bought them. They had no idea. There was a clause in there that if certain prices went up, they could charge more. How does that How does that work from a lenders aspect when you look at those contracts, is that like wait, wait, wait, we don't even know how much this is going to be. Well, a lot of.
Speaker 8: Times we'll preapprove somebody at a at a top end, but also at what their purchase price is, and you know they're you know, we'll raise as long as the process will appraise, which usually if they're contracts.
Speaker 2: So if the price goes up, generally it's going to appraise it at.
Speaker 8: Correct and usually they'll so it'll still be the loan, just larger mount Now it could the larger amount could make people not to qualify in the debt to income ratio. Yeah, and then they got to have a realtor that will protect their earnest money, and that I don't know. I think Frank and Stephanie would know a little bit more about protection.
Speaker 2: How does that generally work? Guys? If you dealt with one like those condos we were talking about, Frank, where you know, all of a sudden they put down whatever they put down twenty thousand earnest or ten or whatever the average is on a new build like that, and then next thing you know, the home's going to go up seventy seventy five one hundred thousand dollars because of materials. Have you dealt with.
Speaker 10: Something, yeah, Mark, And I'd tell you that's where transparency on these new builds is very important with buyers because some builders are more aggressive than others. And we had one builder where they made the earnest money non refundable. It was like fifty thousand dollars totally. And I warned the buyer, look, you're taking a big risk when you do that, because look what the contract actually says. It's not like the ones that we do at the Colorado Real Estate Commission, much different.
Speaker 2: So wait a minute. In this particular one, it didn't matter what happened. In other words, even if they couldn't get financed, they lose their fifty grand, it's gone.
Speaker 7: There was a timeline, but it was a short timeline.
Speaker 2: That is amazing.
Speaker 7: It is it's unreal.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then so what ultimately happened in that one? Did they buy it?
Speaker 10: He decided not to get into contract with it. Yeah, we found him another property, which I think was smart because I think he was taking a big risk.
Speaker 2: Now, how does that generally work? You know, pull the skirt up on the industry. When you walk into a model home in a neighborhood that's building out with new builds and there's all those they're not realtors, but they're people showing the homes.
Speaker 21: Yeah, the builder has sales associates that work on the realtors are they Some might be realtors, but a lot of times their licenses are inactive so that they can work within the builder's contract. Because as Colorado realtors, we're supposed to use the Colorado real estate.
Speaker 2: So you're not even supposed to be a realtor and actually sell something on a contract that's outside of the norm, right, I mean, that's kind of the typical.
Speaker 21: There are realtors that work with builders on individual basis, and I'm sure their brokerages and attorneys have to go in and approve things.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's crazy. Though, so those people generally make a commission, right. Yeah, I know a builder's runds like this. I walk in and I'm looking at KB home and someone's showing it to me, and we like it. You know, I'm not going to put any earnest money down that particular day. But it's all good, and I get their business card. But then I go out and say, hey Frank or hey Stephanie, we're looking at buying this. I want you to look over the contract and represent me in this. So now what happens Now it's who's representing me, the person from the from.
Speaker 10: The home or you guys, it'd be your individual broker mark because the builder's rep is for the builder period.
Speaker 2: They work for the builder. They're on your sales shot.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and some and some builders are more flexible than others. Some will say, yeah, just bring your relter over and bring a card and where good. Others say, you didn't show up the first time with the relture. We're not going to work with them.
Speaker 2: We're paying really so wait a minute. So if someone gets there and then understands earnest money and stuff, there's some builders that'll say, well, we're not going to deal with you because you want to use a realtor, it's too late, not quite.
Speaker 10: In other words, they might say, you know, if you bring your realture on the first visit, we're willing to pay them a co op, but if you show up by yourself, we're not going to pay Now. Some others are more flexible. Mark It depends, and some of that depends on the supply and demand. How fast are getting rid of these?
Speaker 2: Wow, we got an update. We're going to go to Wilma. Let me recap this real quick. Wilma bought a twenty sixteen Denali and basically she had a lot of work done to In fact, I think with the purchase price and all the repairs, she's forty thousand dollars into this. But she spent eight thousand at a dealership I forget which one, and still had a problem. Then she needed basically an engine and had an engine put in, and Wilma, I forget off of the top of my head, the people that put the engine in. We had them on air last Friday. What was the shop's name? I just forget.
Speaker 11: That.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Humble's B and B yup. And then Humble came on and said Hey, we're going to take care of this. And that's kind of where we left it Friday. And what's going on with it now?
Speaker 22: Well, I got my car back yesterday.
Speaker 2: Tell me it's running good, please.
Speaker 22: Too, propably. Yeah, it's running perfectly good. The whole thing why I had an issue is because I thought a brand new engine. You guys kept saying to rebuilt. It's like, no, it's just brand new. That's why it's like, why should I be having these issues? My car should be running like a brand new car.
Speaker 15: And it is now, right, I had a lot of problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is great. Did you and Humble get along or whatever his name is, Stuart Stuart, did you guys make up?
Speaker 22: Well, I mean he's some of em pleases maybe yeah, I mean he didn't like the fact that I called you. But it's like, well, it wasn't just you. It was off about short Line.
Speaker 9: GMC was on Havana.
Speaker 22: Because they're the ones that charged me twelve thousand.
Speaker 15: That's just eight thousand.
Speaker 22: Eight thousand was for the manifold exhausting water pump off all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, and it turned out you need an engine. It really sucked. I hope that vehicle lasted you one hundred and fifty thousand miles.
Speaker 22: Wilma, that would be a lot to have a lot more than that.
Speaker 2: Take care of it. Make sure you get the oil changes done in new engine. Yep, all right.
Speaker 22: I mean he does provide a car service for you when he has his car. Great, did you tell up my gas tanks this time?
Speaker 9: So happy?
Speaker 22: The last time when he put in the engine, he did drive over one hundred miles. That's why I was a little one hundred miles. You know, I didn't know you had to drive that far.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well he's trying to break it in driving it. Yeah, yeah, all right, Wilma. I appreciate the follow up. And I'm sure.
Speaker 22: Stewards Esmo is a good place. Good, there's nothing wrong.
Speaker 2: With all right, appreciate it, Bye, thank you, you're welcome. She was so did you hear that? Called Dimitri? She was so upset, guys at this guy and he came on and could you tell in her voice she's a little hard Does that makes sense? A little I don't want to say, difficult, little detail oriented for a personality type A and so is he. So when they were both on along with me, it was it was crazy. It was I don't want to say fireworks, but it got a little nuts. But ultimately, I'm so happy for the vehicles running the way she wants it. She's got a full tanky gas. Steward came through. I was pretty sure he was, and he did. He's been there for a long long time. Catherine, What is going on with you?
Speaker 23: Yes?
Speaker 11: I wanted to give a compliment to Olig with the furniture doctors.
Speaker 24: Yeah, yeah, he's fantastic Olig.
Speaker 2: He's done work at our house. He's like he really is. He's like a furniture doctor. He came out and fixed What did he fix for you?
Speaker 11: It's it's kind of a long chair. I actually use it inside this kind of a semi rocker that moves back and forth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a slider.
Speaker 18: Sort of.
Speaker 11: I guess between a rocker and a slider.
Speaker 18: It was.
Speaker 11: Broken, as he found out, and was moving sideways. Crazy wasn't working right.
Speaker 8: Got it?
Speaker 11: He the beautiful thing. Not only is he a gentleman and.
Speaker 15: Just really grateful being around and yeahful.
Speaker 2: He had to drill holes.
Speaker 11: He figured it out right away.
Speaker 15: Again, it's a metal.
Speaker 2: Chair and he got to fix up.
Speaker 11: But he did it's fantastic. And the beautiful thing is he he comes to your home and gets it done right then, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't have to take you Yeah, yeah, he doesn't have to pick it up and move in, go work out in the shop. In fact, i'd say probably ninety five percent of the stuff he does is there. He fixed our hutch, so you know, it's a big solid wood hutch and in our dining room and our dog Dema, Dema, I wonder if she's if we had the radio on it, her ears would perk up. But the bottom line was she chewed it when she was a puppy and it looked horrible, and it was pretty brand new, and he came out you couldn't tell that she shoot on it. Now it looks just like I mean, it looks brand new. I was very impressed. And it didn't cost that much really for him to come all the way out fix it at your house. It was incredible. Yeah, he's on a referral list at referral list dot com if anybody needs furniture fixed. Hey, I appreciate that, Catherine, And I'm sure he does big time.
Speaker 11: Just a delight and he's so.
Speaker 2: Personable, his experience.
Speaker 24: Oh personable, excellent, Yeah, beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, excellent. Did you get did you know to call him from us?
Speaker 11: He had on the side of his vehicle. Yeah, he has referral lists dot com.
Speaker 2: Cool, So that's that's how you remembered it.
Speaker 11: Then, yeah, all right, and I think he's proud of that advertising.
Speaker 2: Oh he's a he's a great guy. He fits right in with people we want and just really good people. I mean, that's uh, that's what makes up refer a list dot com. Honestly good people like all Lake three oh three seven one three eight two five five lines open, We'll be right back.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty.
Speaker 2: Two three three seven one three A two, five five. Any questions you got on mortgages. I do want to dig into some more information on that. We're going to talk about that all in one loan, big time. From yesterday. I have no idea what this CRV? What is this CRV call? Why is it say? From Friday? What is this about? Kelly? Do you know Christy? What's going on with the CRV? I remember it made some noise. I thought the dealers said it was all normal.
Speaker 25: Yes, he did. And so you recommended that I go to Honest Accurate Auto for a second opinion.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, what did they say? Down to Honest Accurate in Colorado Springs?
Speaker 25: Well, there's three things I need to tell you. First of all, the air conditioners not blowing coals. And we had a hard time thinking past that because it was so warm in the spring yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yikes.
Speaker 25: So I drove it right back to Honda after I met with Austin and on. Honda tested it this morning and tells me it's testing fine, the air conditioner and it is not blowing cold, it is blowing warm. So I asked them to test it again at two o'clock today because maybe if they're a warmer outside and they said, well, when we stick the probe inside of the event. I said, well, put your hand in front of the event. You can feel it's not blowing cold. And he said, well, the test is. And I said, well, could you go a little step above and beyond and put your hand in front of the event. He's like, yes, we can do that. He said, Okay, my text says the ticking noise is normal, normal operation. It's a stillinoid. Blah blah blah. And I said, well, then can you tell me why when I drove the identical vehicle on your lot, same year Max model Hybrid it was the same flip and color. Why that card did not make any noise? He said, no, you couldn't answer that. I'll have to talk to the tech again. And I said, well, could you repeat back to me the question because I want to be sure you understand And he said, well, I don't really understand what you're asking. I'm like, okay, well let me explain it to you again. Or what conditions is this vehicle supposed to tick? Because sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, and the other one I drove didn't tick at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but honestly, Christy, you didn't drive that other one a ton. I mean, maybe it does tick sometimes. I don't know what to do on that ticking problem, because I've actually looked it up and a lot of people complain about it. But they are saying it's normal. What did they say that sillinoid does? And then what an honest, accurate say just about the clicking or the ticking.
Speaker 25: I'm here yesterday. It does seem to be temperature dependent, and when it's warmer it ticks less. It always ticks on my drive to work in the morning. But and if they're going to say that's normal, then I'll take the next step. I mean, Mark, I'm going to trade in the stupid car if I have to take a ten thousand dollars loss, because I can't live with this. It makes me anxious. It makes my heart start racing.
Speaker 9: I can't.
Speaker 25: It makes me sick. This whining night. So the third issue is this whining nif.
Speaker 20: It's like this high pitch.
Speaker 25: And it and it goes it starts from zero and it goes to seventy five miles an hour, and the pitch gets higher and higher and higher, and then when you decelerate, the pitch gets lower and lower and lower, but it is there the whole time. It is a constant wine.
Speaker 21: Wait, mook, did you guys listen to the video I sent you guys last week on this because her car?
Speaker 2: It was her car. I sent it to you, Kevin and Jeck one Friday. I didn't listen to it because I.
Speaker 25: Wasn't in the first video I sent you. You said there was too much road noise, and I'll give you that because I was trying to take the video while I was driving. But I sent you another one on Friday when the car was ticking at idle. It didn't matter if I was in car reverse drive or neutral. I was sitting at idle, zerom off per hour and you can hear it going tick tock.
Speaker 2: See if it's something we could The video part doesn't matter, Susanne, See if Shannon. If we get you this video, Susanne's got can you pot it up to where we can actually hear it? Do you have a way of doing a video? All right? I'd like to see if we can do that. Hold on, Christy, I do want to hear it. Plus that'll hopefully we can amplify it. I'd hate to see you lose ten thousand, because that's exactly what's going to happen. You trade in a brand new vehicle. Maybe did you ever think that maybe you're just not made for a you know, either a hybrid. I doubt you'd buy one again, right, I mean they do. My electric makes some noises. I'm used to it. Not as annoying as what you're describing. No, I'll give you that.
Speaker 25: Yes, I've decided I'm probably not agreeable to a hybrid, But if it didn't make any noises like the other one, i'd.
Speaker 2: What's that thing Addie has when she was a kid? Hold on, I want to ask my wife something. What is that called? I believe it's called mesopenia?
Speaker 15: Do you have that?
Speaker 2: Have you ever heard that? Christy?
Speaker 25: Yes, I've heard it, and I can hear things that other people can't hear. My husband's docking station in the office. Yeah, stand to be the same.
Speaker 2: Our daughter, if she just sees you too, she hears it. Yeah, it's pretty crazy and it's real. I mean, there's nothing it's it's a real deal. So I feel for you because our kid has it. Yeah. She man.
Speaker 14: Hey, I got to you Mark and Christy. You know, Christy, I think you're in the Springs, I'm in Denver. If you happen to come up here on a warm day, which is when this Oh how about Uh, I'll give you my phone number and i'll be call me when you're on their way to town. I'll be happy to go for a ride you a oh Dimetrios, Deputy Jaty Demetrie, I help I help Mark and Tom with some consumer issues.
Speaker 8: I'll be happy to go for a ride with you around here.
Speaker 14: I assume you have a good driving record, right, yeah, okay, yeah, So I'll be happy to go for a ride with you. And then I'll listen for the ticking and the whining and all that stuff, and I'll be in independent witness to this.
Speaker 2: Christy, why not turn up some tunes in your car so you don't share it.
Speaker 13: That's what I would do.
Speaker 25: If I threw it up loud enough, it will drown it out. But honestly, most of the time my radio is off because I'm usually praying because of this world will screwed up?
Speaker 14: All right, Well, look, just just killy, if Kelly, if you can give Christy my cell phone number.
Speaker 16: Uh, Christy, I'll wait to.
Speaker 2: Hear and I vouch for him, Christie forever and uh and.
Speaker 16: My office is in downtown Denver, so if you don't mind stopping by there up.
Speaker 2: Will actually that or have or maybe swing by the station. Oh yeah, in that way. When are you going to be down here, Christy? We're in the tech show.
Speaker 25: I have an appointment in Golden at one point thirty, but I can be there anytime, like up before.
Speaker 2: Oh well, well Farday's card for her to stop by, maybe like around ten thirty.
Speaker 16: Yeah, our show starts at ten, so just come on up here.
Speaker 14: When you call me, you know, I won't answer the phone because I won't recognize not know that, but we're going to have a message.
Speaker 2: So Dimitri and go for a ride with you. But we also have we're gonna have Kevin colkin in who owns shared in Auto Tech.
Speaker 8: We'll both go for a ride in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and let's get let's get a couple opinions on that. Then maybe we'll get a little more firepower. But the other thing what you might have to do, Dah, is go test drive after you go for a ride with hers. Act like you're buying one of these same year make model.
Speaker 8: Oh that's a great idea.
Speaker 2: And go test drive. Wanted a dealership to see if you can see the difference to where hers is a lot more obnoxious or if it's just her no offense, Chrissy, We just don't know right now. Yeah, Chris, believe me.
Speaker 25: I questioned my own sanity and my hearing and my memory. But my daughter was with me. She's twenty four years old and she's one of those people who's very in tune with life, and she confirmed that, Yes, your vehicle is making those noises. Know that vehicle is not making those noises. And if they're quote unquote normal functioning, normal.
Speaker 2: Operation, and I get we'll look into that. But the AC, by the way, it's pretty standard. I had my shops to check in AC. We would take a simple uh, almost like a meat thermometer, and you just put it in the vent and you're looking for whatever you're looking for. I mean, it either is there or not there. Mark Shannon should have the video. Maybe after break he can play the audio on it. Yeah, we'll see if we can hear that. Everybody hold tight, and then a deputy bos got a body shop idea, We got lines open three zero three seven one three eight two five five. We're going to talk some mortgage information too.
Speaker 12: After this, go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 13: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 12: Time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three o three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: All right, three oh three seven one three eight two five five three oh three Martino, I'll be looking forward to that. On car Friday, we do have lines open three oh three seven one three eight two five five. By the way, I want to tell you about eight eight eight heating dot com. Garrett and the gang are absolutely wonderful people. They're honest as a day is long, and they're always going to give you a price on fixing something, even if your furnace is fifteen twenty years old, if the blowers broke, they're going to tell you how much for a new blower. They're gonna give you options. They're gonna say, Okay, a new blower is five hundred bucks, but you know it's twenty years old. You might want to consider a new one. They'll talk to you about, you know, normal efficiency, high efficiency, whatever you want to hear about, mini splits, heat pumps, you name it. These guys have it. They're just great, great, great people and they're always going to give you that option. You're really going to appreciate that this day, these days eight heating dot com. That's eight eight eight heating dot com. Now I want to go to Deputy Boat real quick. By the way, he's got a body shop suggestion.
Speaker 18: Bo.
Speaker 2: I'll give you time to do that in a second. But we had the mayor, right Stephanie.
Speaker 21: Yeah, he hasn't responded back to me, but he was the mayor of Kiowa, a gentleman that I know, and.
Speaker 2: I think so, and that's what I asked either he either is the mayor, was the mayor of Kiowa. So, in other words, are right down from Elizabeth. We had someone last hour call in going somebody around the franktown Elizabeth Parker are a good body shop and he said, these guys are absolutely great, family owned and operated. They're in Elizabeth and they're called Bender Menders and their phone numbers three oh three six four six three three seven eight BO. Who were you thinking of?
Speaker 26: I was thinking of Try Lakes Collision Center.
Speaker 2: Where are they at the Monument.
Speaker 24: They're off Highway one oh five and.
Speaker 26: I think Beacon Like Road. My brother in law lives there.
Speaker 20: He's used them.
Speaker 26: A couple times.
Speaker 24: They're a mom and pop auto.
Speaker 26: Body shop and I think they do some engine repair to They have four bay doors.
Speaker 5: And he said nothing but good luck with them, and they have good reviews.
Speaker 26: It's Try Lakes Collision Center in Monument.
Speaker 2: I love it Try Lakes and then from the mayor of Kiowa Bender Menders. Very cool. Any updates for us. It's been a slow week, honestly.
Speaker 15: I'm working on that.
Speaker 26: Actually mostly done with it. The lady that called in yesterday about the shower pan, she wanted Home Deepot to return it because her contractor installed it wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, if I recall, it was the wrong size shower pan. It was the wrong size.
Speaker 18: It was the.
Speaker 2: Contractor installed it, which is a little strange.
Speaker 26: Well, what happened to lady, her name was Terry. She ordered the shower pan from Home Depot and she ordered to save some money instead of having the contractor buy it. So the contractor just did what she wanted and installed the shower pan. And I think it was just a case of buyer's remorse once she looked at it. She wanted a larger one. She wanted a thirty eight by thirty eight. Well, to me, that's not the contractor's fault, nor it's Home Depot's fault. She just ordered. She just ordered that particular one and decides she didn't like the size and wanted the Home Depot to pay the casts.
Speaker 2: What do you think the fix is going to be?
Speaker 26: I told her, if she wanted.
Speaker 27: It done, she should call that person on our referral list Discount Bath, to come out and give her an estimate to carry it out and to install a.
Speaker 26: Thirty eight by thirty eight in shower pan that she wanted. She just she ordered the wrong one.
Speaker 2: See I could look at this look. I know she ordered the wrong one, but I can look at this two ways. So the rest of the shower was already done, all they had to do was put the pan in. I guess I don't understand how it looked.
Speaker 26: They did a complete tear out and.
Speaker 2: Then the first thing to go in was the pan.
Speaker 26: The first thing to go in was the pand well, then I completely.
Speaker 2: Agree with you. That's that's going to be her fault.
Speaker 24: Right, And I told her she has no recourse with him.
Speaker 26: I mean she just ordered, she's the one who ordered it. And then call the contract.
Speaker 2: I mean, how much. It can't be crazy to pull that out and put another one in. Or maybe she just lives with it. It's only a two inch difference.
Speaker 26: I told her the exactly the same thing, mark, or.
Speaker 2: A four inch difference actually.
Speaker 26: Because it's going to cost a couple grand to tear out all the ground and the tile and redo it.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe she does live with it because honestly, it's only well it's really a four inch difference. It's two inches of every side, right, Yeah, you're right. Yeah, so that's a that's a little curious. Yeah, I mean it's up to her. She did mess up. I was thinking they installed it like after the walls were done and it was evident it didn't fit. And I'm going, who would install something that's two inches short of the wall or the glass or whatever it is? But that's not the case. That's the first thing they put down. Then they're going to build around the pan.
Speaker 3: That's what she.
Speaker 27: Called about that it was installed wrong, but had nothing to do with the shower base being she said it was out a I've got it what her issue is.
Speaker 24: But that was the first thing that went in.
Speaker 26: So they built around the shower base that she ordered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, thank you, sir, have a good day. Bo right by later man three oh three seven one three eight two five five. Got to take a break. We got some lines open three oh three Martino, go.
Speaker 12: With a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 13: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 12: Time for an insurance checkup free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one.
Speaker 2: Help.
Speaker 12: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: Hey John CMG. We were talking during the break. I got a question for you. So typically when you're dealing with a mortgage broker, that's shopping different banks, different products, sells, different products, compare to you where everything you sell is the bank CMG right, correct? So how do those guys generally make money? So if I go to somebody I don't want to use any names, but you know XYZ mortgage broker, and I say hey, I'm looking for a loan, and they start shopping around, how do they make money? I understand how the bank makes money. I understand the bond market and how everything somewhat works. I'm not going to pretend to be a financial expert here, but how does a mortgage broker themselves make money? If they get quoted five percent, do they sell it for five and a quarter?
Speaker 19: No?
Speaker 2: Do they get paid on Like if it's a five hundred thousand dollars loan, they get a point of that upfront? I mean, how does that work?
Speaker 26: Well?
Speaker 8: Typically, what they'll have is broker has several different ones and they do get paid from whoever they do the loan through. And typically you know, they'll start at a rate higher you know, because they may make two points on that with that lender, So they have different commission rates set up with different lenders, Like this lender pays them two percent, that lender pays them one and a half. So what the kind of the bad thing about it?
Speaker 2: That's like real numbers. Can someone really make like one hundred two percent on a loan?
Speaker 8: Yeah, they are real numbers.
Speaker 2: I mean that's crazy. So on a three hundred thousand dollars loan they're making six seven grand.
Speaker 8: Well, and typically when you talk with a broker, you know, they'll start you at a high rate and then if somebody comes to me, I'll give you a rate that it should be.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the broker's going to come back, well, I'll do it for that, you know, or they're going to a different lender that they get paid a different commission, so they'll shop different ones. But they typically don't lead with that like we do as the bank. I mean, we were coming out and we're giving you starting out with that rate. You're starting out with a good rate.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what. It's the same thing the car guys do. Yeah, I mean the car guys. When you go into finance, the worst thing in the world you can do is say I'm an all cash buyer. People think that gives you power, It doesn't give you anything because they make money on that loan. You're buying a fifty thousand dollars car with five grand down, that's forty five thousand dollars loan that could be worth three four grand to that cards that car salesman like, literally, it can be worth that much, and then is here. The brokers also have recourse too, because if I pay it off for refi in ninety days, they typically will lose whatever they were paying.
Speaker 8: They clawed back. You're right, they typically will lose it because they'll even tell a lot of their clients, hey, listen, I'm gonna give you this rate, but you can't do anything with it, which is false. You can refinance it anytime.
Speaker 2: So typically you're going to be you're going to be less off the bat, less off the bat.
Speaker 8: And our our fees are a little lower because obviously we're doing all the in house underwriting, all the in house processing, everything in house where you're not paying people. Yeah, they got a processor and then they got whoever the lender has a part.
Speaker 2: How many millions of months to you guys do in lawns?
Speaker 8: Oh boy, we're we're in across the whole country. We're we're we're doing almost two billion a month throughout the whole United States.
Speaker 2: That's incredible, isn't it. Frank You guys were talking about something on break What was that? I was curious boy Mark.
Speaker 7: Club, trying to think which thing were we talk about? All the two bhydowns, the two one by down?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 2: Two to one buy down?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Go ahead.
Speaker 10: So basically what will happen is a buyer may come in and negotiate and need some help on their interest rate buydown. So let's say the rate is currently it's seven and a half, which is at six and a half.
Speaker 7: Now, yeah, let's say it's six point seven six point seven five.
Speaker 10: So they might start at six five four four point seventy five the first year, but they have to qualify for the six point seventy five up front.
Speaker 7: That's what a lot of people forget.
Speaker 10: So the first year it's four point seven five, the next year goes up to five point seven five. That's the two point by right, and it'll max out at the six point seven five. Now, the goal hopefully is to REFI somewhere in between if you can. If not, then your max is what you.
Speaker 2: Started with six, so your ceiling is still going to be the six point seven five or six seven five, but your first two years you're at four seven five. Then it goes up a half yeah, actually a point one point one point yeah, and then it then it caps if you don't refight. So it's almost like an arm, but it's not called do well.
Speaker 8: And the good thing about that is most people do refinance within three to five six years. So if you're going to refine, if you think you're into something within five years what most people do, it's a good way to do it and also gives you that lower lower interest rate for those first and.
Speaker 2: How much I want to I want to know how much of buydown like that is in general, So everybody hold on three oh three seven one, three eight, two five five. We got another two hours coming up. Corey and Eric. I promise I'll bring you guys up. Corey says he has additional information on that shower band, so we'll dig into that, and I have two lines open for you. Three oh three, Martino, go.
Speaker 12: With a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three, seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real Estate Man dot Com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: Ripped off that news.
Speaker 4: You need advice, so you don't have come running as fast as we can. Shooter's gonna help coming man.
Speaker 6: This is the Troubleshooter Show Now, Tom Martinez, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 2: My friends to the only show of it's kind. We're here to solve problems, answer questions, take complaints. We are trying to make your life a little bit better. You got any questions you've been ripped off, maybe a bad contractor uh, maybe you're facing something you've never faced before and you just want some advice. That's what this show is for. I've got a group of experts at referral list dot com and by the way, some of them in studio with us today. John Clace, CMG Home Loans, Frank durand the real Estate man, Stephanie Tom I'm a realtor in the Pike's Peak region who I've known for god over twenty years. I've known everybody in this room actually at least ten, if not fifteen, all the way to twenty five. These are really good people. You have any questions on buying a home, selling a home, anything along those, and then of course mortgages in general. We're going to dive into some stuff like we were last hour with John, but interest rates, I'm curious if he thinks things are going to be going down or up. And we were talking Tariff's first hour and stock market once again, were you know, negative, yeah, roughly five hundred. It was negative seven or eight hundred. Tesla, interestingly enough, is actually up a little today, not a lot, but definitely up today. Trump came out and said he's buying a Tesla, and I do agree. We got to support. I can't figure out, for the life of me, why Musk is getting punished for saving all of our money. Really, I mean, call it political, call it what you want, but honest to God, you know, we all pay taxes, or most of us pay taxes, and we don't want our tax money going to stuff we don't want it going to It really should be going to people right here in the USA. And that's my opinion. And then the waste and fraud, you just can't. You just got to find it. You know, maybe you shouldn't take a chainsaw on to it. People say, use the scalpel. But I can't think of the last time anybody's done anything like this, guys. I mean, really, I think Obama wanted to do something like this. I think Bill Clinton. I think even going back to the Bush administrations, everybody wanted to kind of cut governments spending. And no one's done it. In fact, I think the last person that balanced the budget was Bill Clinton. Wasn't that it, I mean, that was that's quite a while back. And you know, what can I say? But it's kind of weird how these guys are getting hit by it. People firebombing Tesla is absolutely insane to me. Hey, Eric, what's your question? Real quick? Then, Corey, I'll go to you three three seven one three eight two five five. Sorry about that, Eric, you got anything three oh three seven to one three talk go ahead, Eric.
Speaker 24: Oh yes, sir, thanks for taking my call, sir. At the end of twenty twenty two, I got really sick and the.
Speaker 5: Doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me until about a year.
Speaker 18: And a half ago.
Speaker 24: But for the last two or three years, I haven't filed any income text papers. I hardly made any money at all. But anyway, I was sick all the time, and I recently have gotten radiation treatment, so I'm coming out of it finally. And I was looking at my forms and I never took any.
Speaker 5: Of the table refunds, and I was wondering if I can still get them because I went past the October deadline and each year except last year.
Speaker 24: So how can I get those back?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure with just TABER, if that's all you're talking about, have to file by whatever date it is. If you don't, I don't think you can get it back with TABOR, and I don't think that has changed.
Speaker 24: Okay, So as far as you know, I probably just am gonna lose it.
Speaker 2: Then now I would think you're going to lose that. I can double check. In fact, let's try to get Let's try to get Eric on or somebody over at our accounting firm. Kelly got that. Yeah, Eric, he'll know for sure.
Speaker 18: Now.
Speaker 2: Interestingly enough, how many years? So you when's the last time you filed? What year?
Speaker 24: Well, I filed the ten forty in twenty twenty two, so.
Speaker 2: That's the last one you filed.
Speaker 20: Right.
Speaker 2: Did you get any Yeah? Hold on, hold on, man, did you get any COVID money?
Speaker 24: Yes, I did get COVID money.
Speaker 2: How did you get COVID money, say, in twenty three?
Speaker 24: In twenty three?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well what happened was I was still working and I got laid off.
Speaker 24: Yeah, they laid me off, So so I.
Speaker 5: Qualified for it, but I was I was still thick. I was only working like three days a week.
Speaker 2: You're kind of missing me. What I'm saying is, if you didn't file taxes, how did you get it? Did you just simply get to check in the mail? I kind of forget it? Is that how it worked?
Speaker 18: There is?
Speaker 14: So the IRS has a form that you file for zero income to get your COVID. Yes, so you file this form instead of your tax return or I supposed you just file tax return. It was zero income on it, and they used that as a basis.
Speaker 2: Party.
Speaker 10: Do you do that?
Speaker 24: Well?
Speaker 5: No, I went to the when I got laid off and where I work, they told me how to apply for unemployment and then I got COVID money and I filled out the forums on the internet for the COVID money.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you filled something out for it. I understand what you're saying. Is that, Eric Kelly, Hey, Eric, let me ask you a question. Eric Ranimir with Atlas Financial or I'm sorry, it's what is it?
Speaker 18: What is it?
Speaker 2: Atlas?
Speaker 26: What?
Speaker 16: Eric?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry? Thats CPAs, Yeah, CPAs. So let me ask you something.
Speaker 18: Man.
Speaker 2: I've got a caller on Eric, and Eric is saying he has not filed taxes since twenty two and twenty three and twenty four. If there was COVID money, he got that because he went online and filled out whatever to get your COVID check. But Tabor, my understanding was Tabor you had to actually file at a certain time or you would not get it. So, in other words, you can't go back. He hasn't filed. Here's here's the real question. He hasn't filed taxes for twenty three twenty four. So is there any money he missed and can he go back and get it? His income was so low he's not going to owe any money. But he didn't get his Tabor check.
Speaker 20: No, No, if you didn't file timely, then the TABOR it's gone up and smoke. It's too late. You can't go back retroactively. Was based on filing timely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought, so is there any other money he might have missed that he can retro I can't think of any No.
Speaker 20: All that stuff was twenty two or prior, so I think the only thing that stink with I think it was like an eight hundred or sixty hundred dollars taber check. But that's it goes away if one didn't file timely last year.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't expect you to know the answer to this, but what happens to the TABOR money that's not claimed? Does it go back into the refund pot for everybody else or do we automatically give it to the governor or how does that work?
Speaker 20: I think it probably goes to a pool because that gets looked at every year. For example, there could be a taber refund for twenty five as well. So my gut as it probably just goes into a general pool that's available to come back at US if there's extra money in twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's surprising they haven't found a way to scam us out of that. Honestly, are you guys really? Your guys are really busy this time of year, aren't you.
Speaker 20: We're rocking and rolling in March. Everybody is popping up right and left.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When's the corporate returns to the fifteenth of March?
Speaker 18: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 20: And this month because it's on a weekend, it's actually on the seventeenth. Everybody's either file or get an extension by Monday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, either that or the other. Thing is well, I'm saying that for sure. But if all the money, if you own different LLC's or partnerships, and all the money flows to you and you file through k ones and other instruments, basically you don't have to worry till April fifteenth, right.
Speaker 20: That's right in terms of the economics. As long as you foil the March fifteenth extension, you can wait until April fifteenth to pay. Although there are some states that actually have small filing fees as well as you're in another state, but that's not the case in Colorado.
Speaker 2: Well, that's good, all right, Eric K. I appreciate.
Speaker 24: Can I ask the man one question?
Speaker 2: Of course you can ask him too.
Speaker 5: Ye, sir, I don't know, I think you're probably right, But I read on the internet there's an interview they did years ago, and in the interview of this accountant on KATIEVR, he says that if you missed the October deadline, it carries over to the next year and you can claim it on the following year if you missed the deadline.
Speaker 24: Is that I don't know if that's correct, though it maybe that was.
Speaker 20: The case years ago. It was a little or leadient, but that was not the case for twenty three or twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're just talking current tax years.
Speaker 18: Eric.
Speaker 2: I mean, anything's possible back in the day.
Speaker 24: So if that's true, then Eric, what part I said?
Speaker 2: Eric, I just got to ask you this. I mean, I realize you read it on the internet from some interview from way back when on KDVR. I get that, but I said it, and then I have an accountant on that literally lives and breezes this every day. He said it. So what part of you is comfortable saying if that's true.
Speaker 24: Well, like you said, for the uh, that may have been true earlier, like you know, in the earlier years, sure may have been true, but that's not going to affect.
Speaker 2: You pardon, but that doesn't affect your circumstance.
Speaker 24: Well, if that was true for twenty twenty two, then I may be able to go back and get at least get the twenty twenty two to one possibly and maybe the twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know, you know, you know, Eric, I'm going to ask you one more time. Is there any way he can go back and get twenty two and twenty three.
Speaker 20: Tabor, not that I'm aware of.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 9: I don't.
Speaker 3: It was like pay it.
Speaker 20: I mean, the whole plant is they wanted you to follow your taxer and so at a certain point they say, I'm sorry you didn't file, so you're not you're not eligible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even if you do enough extensions, you still can't get it, correct Eric.
Speaker 20: Yeah, yeah, you had, uh yeah, you had to file kindly. So I think it's gone. I think Eric, cheese down that tunnel.
Speaker 24: Oh okay, yeah, so it doesn't doesn't carry over to the next year, then, no, not at all, No, sir, okay, all.
Speaker 2: Right, that's how those hey on some stuff.
Speaker 5: Though.
Speaker 2: I will say Eric, this, you know, back, I remember we went back and our kids were during COVID. They were both eighteen at some point, and we went back and actually modified No, no, we didn't modify their I'm trying to think if we did modify their tax returns. I don't think so. But we ended up not carrying them as dependents because the COVID money they would get was substantially better than what they were worth to us, If that makes sense.
Speaker 20: Yeah, that was the case for giving that, you know, the irs federal money back in twenty one and twenty two. I remember that that was to your advantage of Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't that wild. So it's like, because usually the child credit, I mean, depending on your income, brack and everything else is one thing. But to us, I mean, having them as dependents meant almost nothing like five hundred bucks or something where they could get money like fifteen hundred or twenty five hundred bucks. I mean, it was ridiculous.
Speaker 20: Yeah, cool boy, what do you.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you something? You're an account what do you make a tariffs man? Just while I have you, you don't have to get political on me. But I mean, everybody sees the stock market, but what what is your general opinion?
Speaker 20: Well, listen to the economists. They say that in general it doesn't seem to really promote everything. It kind of freezes things up a little bit. So my understanding is it's just right now creating this anxiety, which is to cut of any big a big hiccup while everybody waits and see how much does it really affect the flow of goods back and forth? Yeah, so interdependent right now. It's hard when the money and goods going back and forth gets a big hiccup, it just just kinds a lot of anxiety if nothing else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, the anxiety you can't even imagine for a lot of people, you know, businesses, everybody in the stock market, even employees and employers. But the interesting part was I would love to see like car manufacturing back here. I would love to see a lot of that stuff. I would love for our country to be self sufficient for pretty much anything, especially like medication and minerals and batteries and everything. Chips. Imagine if China took over Taiwan, I think ninety percent of the chips in the world China would have control on. We got to bring some of this stuff back. Hey, Eric, I do appreciate in anybody out there, especially especially small businesses that need a great accountant that know how to get the best taxes for them, period and his story. That's Eric in the gang. You can call Erica three oh three seven nine nine nine one one one. Three oh three seven nine nine nine one one one. Everybody hold tight.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 13: You don't pay a cent until you're content than.
Speaker 12: Time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: All right, three oh three seven one three eight two five five three O three Martino, Now, uh, here's a quick what is this a quick comment? I'll go to Eric first, then I'll go to Corey. We do have two lines open three O three seven one three eight two five five Eric, what's going on?
Speaker 18: Man? Hi?
Speaker 9: Tom Martino?
Speaker 18: You great American.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you had mentioned, young man, that Bill Clinton had passed the budget. But if you remember that, it was new Game Ridge, the Speaker of the House, the Republican that passed the bug.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they came together on it. That's true, Yes, sir.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Bill Clinton he just took credit for it, you know, because he was in office at the time, and he never did speak upon that, Tom, Bill Clinton did.
Speaker 2: Okay, But yeah, and you know, all right, Eric Thanke you for your clarification here this morning.
Speaker 9: Tom say that again, I think earlier that you talked about the tariffs this morning. Yes, at the beginning of your show.
Speaker 2: Yes, President Trump.
Speaker 9: I love him the death he is now.
Speaker 28: The tariff.
Speaker 2: I do like such for Tad.
Speaker 18: Eric.
Speaker 2: By the way, I'm Mark, I'm not Tom. After five times I have to correct you. Generally, I won't correct people. You guys sound so much alike.
Speaker 24: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: That's not a good way.
Speaker 28: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 2: I'm more I'm probably a little more conservative. Thank you, Eric for your comment.
Speaker 7: And more elegant.
Speaker 2: I'm more elegant, and I've got better diction. Hey Corey, uh, I don't know what we're going to find out about this, but you say you're the son in law of Terry who had the problem with the fan or I'm sorry the shower pan? Yeah, so what what?
Speaker 12: What?
Speaker 18: What?
Speaker 2: More information? But basically for people listening, Terry called in and said, hey, I hired a contractor to install a shower and I ordered the shower pan from home Depot. The shower pan showed up, they installed it, but it turns out to shower pan was too small, and that's kind of what happened. So what what say you?
Speaker 28: Yeah, yeah, what kind of happened? Thanks for having me on is uh, you know, my mother in law did order the shower pan, and it's an important thing. It's a it's a corner unit and so it's like a diamond, and so there's a three panel glass door that goes with that pan, and so she ordered the right size. Home Depot acknowledged that the right size is ordered. Home Depot sent the wrong size pan, got it and acknowledged they sent the wrong size pan. But then the contractor put it in, set it, tiled around it, and then essentially measured and so now the glass door that was ordered with the pan doesn't fit.
Speaker 2: But how would listen Corey, this this is what bothers me about this. So how would the contractor know if the shower wasn't already there. In other words, the pan goes in first, right, right, and so that it was.
Speaker 28: A replacement, and so it was an exact, exact size replacement.
Speaker 2: Well, I know that the contractor. Are you saying it's the contractor's.
Speaker 20: Fall call in?
Speaker 28: Well, I would. The frustration is where it came in is that they didn't measure, and so they knew they had the door, they had the pan, and so what do you mean they had the door?
Speaker 2: What do you mean by that they had the full enclosure?
Speaker 18: Oh?
Speaker 28: Yeah, yeah, it's a separate door.
Speaker 2: I want to get hold on. I want you to stay on. I really do listen. I want you to stay on. Kelly. I want you to get Chris from Discount bath On or Mark Schamansky or both of them, Mark with Genesis. I want to ask from a contractor's perspective of what the deal is. But let me ask Corey one more thing, Corey. I want to get them on. I I really do want to kind of go down that road with you. But let me ask you this. Yeah, yeah, is home depot. Are they willing to do absolutely anything for sending the wrong size? And I'm not even saying it's there there far.
Speaker 28: Right right, and that's why, and that's why I kind of, you know, I had her call because I was I was I was more interested to see what what people would think, okay, because it's kind of that gray area like you're saying, you know, and.
Speaker 2: So it's crazy. But hold on, we're going to get one of our experts on. If not too, I'm going to give you an idea of kind of something similar that just happened to Suzanne and I. We had a contractor do our bathroom. Did a great job. It's absolutely gorgeous, and we got a steam shower and in the steam shower we have speakers, and we have a light, and we have a touch screen panel that operates the touch that operates the steam shower, and it operates. I know people are out there like, oh, it must be nice. Well you know what, nice, it's beautiful and we love it. But anyhow, listen to this. So everything's white and the touch screen died. So I called up mister steam that's the manufacturer, not the contractor, and I told him what was going on, and they said, try this, try that, and it's got like a five year warranty. So they send out a new screen. I put the box on the sink in the bathroom. I call up my contractor, great guy, absolutely great guy, and I said, I said, Luis, it went out. I'm hoping you can swap this out. He goes, Oh, no problem, Mark, I'll handle it for you. It's no big deal. Okay, no big deal. He comes out, we come home. He installed the new one. It's on and everything. But you're ready for this. It's black. They sent there's two colors. They make them in white and black. So the contractor installed the black one. So you can look at it two ways. One, mister Steam should have sent the right color. Two Susanna or I probably should have opened the box and looked at it. Three him being the contractor probably who installed everything, probably should have realized it was the wrong one too. But thank god, mister Steam is a great company. So I called him back. I had to take a picture of it, and sure enough, they sent us out the white one. So now now Luis will come out and install that one in our shower. So it's kind of crazy, but everybody holds tight. Three oh three, seven, one, three eight, two, five to five, go with a sure thing.
Speaker 12: Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: Right three three seven one three eight two five five. I'm going to tell you guys this story next hour. That's just amazing. My daughter and I got left at sea. Uh no kidding, absolutely no kidding. And the whole reason I'm thinking of this, and I promise I'll go to the phones, was this poor woman missing in Puntakana, the Dominican Republic. Suzanna and I spent three weeks here with our kids years ago. In fact, it was right before I got back with Tom. I sold my last Goodyear store in twenty fourteen or fifteen, and Tom needed some help here and he reached out to me, and right prior to coming back here, I decided I was going to take a long vacation. I worked my ass off for long enough over a long period of time. So we went to Punta Canna for three weeks. And the story I'm going to tell you is absolutely unbelievable. If you've been keeping up with this story, nothing surprises us that can happen in Poona Canna. But that's coming up meantime. Chris, Chris, Console discount Bath dot com. Chris, how are you doing today?
Speaker 18: Man?
Speaker 2: Hey, Chris, how are you doing?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 2: I'm good, I am doing good. Chris. I've got a question for you, man. So I'm going to bring up Corey. Let me lock you and I got Cory up. But Corey, hold on, let me talk real quick. So Chris, here's what happened. And by the way, Discount Bath has nothing to do with this. He's being our expert on the air. In fact, Chris and the gang at Discount Bath you can find on a referral listor referral list dot com great guys and do exactly what they do. Discount Bath. Remind so, Corey is the son and loss. So Terry called us up last week and she hired a contractor that was going to do a shower enclosure. And I believe the original shower that was there was thirty eight inches, right, Corey.
Speaker 28: Yeah, I believe so that sounds about right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was thirty eight inches. So the pan is thirty eight inches square? Is that grat Corey? Or is it rectangle?
Speaker 28: It's a diamond, so it's five sided, okay.
Speaker 2: Five sided, But regardless, the pan is the size of the pan. So she wanted to save some money and basically ordered the pan through home Depot and then had her contractor install the pan. So they did the demo, and Corey, please interrupt me if I get something wrong. They did the demo of the old stuff. They pulled out the old walls, they demoed the old pan, and then they grabbed the home Depot one and installed the pan. At the same time, they also had the wall fixtures there.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: Did they have the walls there and the glass air Cory? I know a big section of it was glass and then there was some wall. Yeah, so everything was there.
Speaker 28: Yeah, the original wall was there.
Speaker 2: The original wall was there, and then what else was there for the new shower? Was the enclosure there?
Speaker 28: So what they did, yeah, it was their pan and the class door.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so here's the bottom line, Christ and then I'll let Corey fill into the details. I want you to ask questions because you're going to know questions that I'm not asking. So the bottom line is she ordered the pan from Home Depot. She ordered a thirty eight inch pan, and that's what it was supposed to be. They shipped a thirty six inch pan. So even though the invoice, in the order everything was right, she ended up with the wrong product. The contractor installed the pan, wrong product. And that's where we're at right now. Who's is it?
Speaker 29: Home Depots?
Speaker 2: So you would say, honestly, you would say it's Home Depot's fault. The contractor shouldn't have measured it. But now, Corey, I want you to say wit to him.
Speaker 29: Let me throw something.
Speaker 24: Atch you real quick.
Speaker 29: Home Depot doesn't do custom pans that I'm aware of, So thirty six is a standard size, thirty eight is custom. So there's no way that she could have gotten a thirty eight inch pan from Home Depot.
Speaker 2: So on her invoice, Corey does what does it say on the invoice?
Speaker 28: Yeah, so they've acknowledged that she ordered the correct one and that they sent the wrong one.
Speaker 2: Okay, no matter what, it's got to take him at that, Chris, Okay, whether it's correct or not, I'm not even arguing, but let's just take that as facts. But you still think the same thing. How about the fact that the contractor didn't measure it? Would that even matter? How would they know at that point?
Speaker 29: So did the contractor measure it originally and then she ordered it or he came in after it was already ordered and just said I'll.
Speaker 9: Put it in.
Speaker 28: Yeah, I think yeah, I think they gave the measurements for that because it started with a leaky fixture in the back that they couldn't get to. So then they thought, well, they say, the whole thing out what she agreed to, and so they measured what she needed and then she said, you know, I can purchase this, and she went and got it.
Speaker 2: So they measured it. But then when before they installed it, they didn't remeasure.
Speaker 29: It, okay, And then they just got it in and said, all right, we did our thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so where does it stand now? To Corey, tell them exactly where we're at now?
Speaker 28: So and yeah, so it's it's kind of and that's one thing. It's I think it's it's been a little resolved. But you know, they put it in so the door wouldn't fit, and the door to make it fit was going to be a special order, and so you know, they didn't. She was kind of frustrated with that tructor. So the contractor has been good. I mean they have been working with her, and obviously they're frustrated. They contacted home depot. They're in a tight spot, you know, just like everybody. So it's a little bit of a gray area. But so ultimately what happened is, you know, uh, they did return it. The contractors called her back last night and they they did say they're I think they're going to work with her on creating on a company that they used to customize and cut glass for the door. And so she's just kind of making that she's going to just go ahead and go with the smaller shower, and she's you know, she's satisfied.
Speaker 2: Are they going to charge her anymore?
Speaker 8: Though?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 28: Said Bow called no, I think I think everything is going to kind of wash out, and I think it'll.
Speaker 2: So after Okay, so after after Deputy Bow called over there, they decided they were going to work with this, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 15: I don't know if it's so much BO calling calling them.
Speaker 28: I mean, they they have been good, they have been working. I actually thought it had been a longer time. It only been about a week.
Speaker 2: Then why did you just say, Bo? Why did am I crazy? Or did you just mention Deputy Bow?
Speaker 18: Yeah?
Speaker 28: So she when she called, she called after hours and BO called her back. Oh and so so BO worked with her and talked with her a little bit. There, I got you, I got you. So I definitely appreciate BO calling it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, Now hold on though, I want to go back to Chris real quick. So hold on, though I am still curious Chris, now that you've got a picture of what happened, ultimately, if this was discount Bath, I assume it wouldn't have happened because you guys would have measured before you put it in. Or what do you think or do you think this is still all on home depot?
Speaker 29: You know without having been there. What I feel like is if if they measured it and put it in, then then it's on them, right if they did ordered this thing. The reality is is that I here wouldn't have relied on a homeowner to order a shower pan. I'd had just given her the discount or to ourselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and here's the deal. I'll tell you how I look at it. I think it's everybody's problem. I think it's Terry's problem, home depots problem, and the contractor's problem. Everybody messed up.
Speaker 29: Yeah, I mean that's you know, It's just it was one thing after another and then you ended up with this. What I'm hearing though, is the solution is a good one. Let's just get some custom glass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I got another idea for you. Hold on and then then Chris, by the way, Chris, I really appreciate your time. Anybody out there, If you go to discount bath dot com, here's the coolest part. Not only do you get a remodel of your bathroom, but you can get a quote over the phone. If you go to their website, go to the bottom bottom right, and you'll see exactly how to do it and maybe, uh, surprise your wife, surprise your husband with a new bathroom. Discount bath dot com. Everybody, Hold tight, Tom, Mike Dan, I want your comment on this. Right after that, then Corey, I got another idea for you.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 13: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 12: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance. Pay too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: Ripped news.
Speaker 4: You need that so you don't have.
Speaker 2: Come.
Speaker 4: Runs as fast.
Speaker 16: As you can.
Speaker 4: Shooter's gonna help coming man.
Speaker 2: This is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martinez, welcome my friends to the only show if it's came. We're here to solve problems, answer questions, take complaints. We're here to do all of that. We're here to make your life a little bit better. You've been ripped off for taking advantage of I do want to hear from you. And by the way, I want to tell you about eight eight eight heating dot Com. I've been talking about them all show. They're great guys, and yes I'm saying this because someone emailed me forty five bucks new customer only. They're gonna come out clean that furnace, tear it apart, get rid of all the dirt, and just get ready for winter next year. And they're also going to put a NOE breakdown guarantee on it. The reason they do it for forty five bucks as simple as this. If you have a problem in the future, you're gonna call them. You're gonna love this deal. And if your air conditioner breaks, or your furnace breaks, or your water heater breaks in the future, you're going to know who to call. Garrett in the Gang, We've been talking about them forever. They're the same people that always, and I mean this, they always give you the option to repair. They don't just try to force you into a new thing, and they have high efficiency. They have everything you can imagine. You're just gonna love these guys. Eight eight eight Heating dot Com. Now, Hey, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, we've got a lot of cooking. Suzanne's helping me here. Line two is Dan Oh, Dan's got a comment on the shower. I'm gonna finish up with Corey. Corey, hold on, let me lock you in real quick, and then Dan's got a comment. Basically, if you're listening last hour, how do you put this? I don't even want to recap it, but the bottom line is the caller ordered something from home Depot for a shower, the contractor put it in. It turned out to be the wrong size. But Dan is a contractor and has a comment. Not only do I want to comment, Dan, but I'd like to know what you ultimately think. Who should take care of it? Go ahead?
Speaker 19: Yeah, Mark all on, great show, by the way, it's great informative information. But yeah, Chris, I really agree with everything Chris was saying. My biggest question, like Chris had from discount, was all in the world that they got thirty eight inch pan from Home Depot. I mean, the pan size is the standard pans are twenty four, thirty six, forty eight and sixty in. So I'm not sure how this customer was able to order a thirty eight inch pound.
Speaker 2: Hey, Corey, do you have any idea? Or maybe when your mother in law was on, she gave the wrong In other words, maybe it was a twenty four. Now that would be way too noticeable though thirty six.
Speaker 28: Yeah, it's only yeah, it's only two inches. Yeah, it's only two inches, And so the contractor gave her the information of what she needed to go order and shordered SOW.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was a so how home Depot food bar the order, who knows.
Speaker 28: But it is not diamond. It is a diamond shape. I don't know if that changes instead of a square.
Speaker 2: Right now, I'm looking at the diamond shape. There's thirty eight so that I see on Home Depot unless unless I'm looking at something wrong Mark, but they're showing them Dan at least SU's Ann's looking at one on their website. Okay, maybe Chris said, Chris said the same thing.
Speaker 19: We're talking in store versus special order through home Deeople. But the bottom line too is and I don't know if Chris mentioned this, but what I always do as a contractor, I always tell my customers, and Home Deeople should have advised. That's why I'm with Chris on this. Home Deeople needs to take a lot of the blame on this because when you install shower walls, nothing ever is straight and plumb. When by the time you get the underlayment up, the backer you know, the backer board, the tile. Home people should have advised this customer, do not order the shower door until the walls are up, meaning the tile is up.
Speaker 2: You mean just the door, well, just the door.
Speaker 19: But but what I'm saying, Mark, is the the alignment the plum from one side to the other can be anywhere. When you get done from tara to finish with the tile, you can be looking at anywhere from one to two inch difference by the time you go from the floor to the ceiling. That's why it's critical that customers do not order the shower door.
Speaker 15: Dan.
Speaker 2: Don't you think a lot of that would be on the contractor because the contractor measured, told her what to order, then she ordered it through home depot.
Speaker 19: Now maybe yes, you are totally correct, Mark, the contractor should should have advised the customer to everybody.
Speaker 2: Everybody plays a part in this one.
Speaker 19: Everybody plays a part. But yeah, that's the critical information though that your customers and your your listeners need to need to remember that if you're if you're installing semi frameless or are framed showering closures, there's like a three inch different So if you say, if you got a forty eight inch, I got it, goose down to forty six and a half. They'll go like forty six to forty nine nine inches, fifty to fifty three inches, So it's just really good information.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did, in fact, thinking about that when our shower was just redone, they did everything except for the glass and the doors glass as well. Was the very end, and I think it was Ken Carroll Glass came out and measured it exactly, had a fit and that was that was the very last part. Hey, Dan, I really appreciate your call. Now, Corey, I do want to do something for you. I would like for Susan to email our angel at home Depot and see if we can't get you at least a full credit or your your your mom a full credit on that pan. It looks like it's about three hundred bucks and that might help things a little. Would that be cool with you?
Speaker 28: Yeah, no, that would be I think that would really help her too, because, like I said, the contractor, yeah.
Speaker 8: I got you.
Speaker 2: I don't need to beat a dead horse on this, but I think home Depot, most home Depot should refund the cost of that without getting the product back, because I know they're using it. It created a lot of headaches for everybody, and they acknowledge it. So can you get a copy of the receipt and get that sent over? And hold on, We're going to tell you exactly. Kelly's going to tell you exactly where to send that, all right, So hold on a second. And what we need is a copy of the receipt for our angel at home depot. And I bet you maybe if they don't give you three hundred bucks, they'll give you three hundred dollars credit. But we're going to find out what it is. Hey, Mike, what's going on with you? Mike? Yes, go ahead, sir. What's your question?
Speaker 24: Buying a house with my daughter?
Speaker 28: There's a way to put it into a trust where when I die, the whole ownership goes to her. Yeah, and there's no text, infiments, Yeah, consequences. But I don't know what the name of that trust.
Speaker 2: You Well, I think there's more than one way to do what you're talking about. I'm not exactly sure what the name of that trust would be, but I'm not sure. I mean, John, I'll bring you in on this, you guys. I mean, I just had this conversation with you. You did our loan years ago, the all in one and we're moving our house into a trust. And I called you up and said, is there anything we have to do? And you said, no, not really. I mean you guys, CMG's good with people doing that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we lend and trust all the time, you know, all sees or something. But you know, trust is pretty typical. I think you have to do is it has to be a revocable trust. It can't be an irrevocable trust. And that's that's I think what you're asking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually, let's get on, hold on, let me get one of our experts on. But I don't even understand why you would do it that way. I don't know why it's this would be for I don't know why, for example, you wouldn't buy it, as I always get these reverses kills me. Just just buy it, like tenants in common? Are you both going to live there?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 16: Oh who's going to live there?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 18: She will live there?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 2: Then I guess I don't understand. But you said when you die, she gets it. Why doesn't she just buy it? You got to help her purchase it? Yes, okay, that makes sense. Hold on, let's get our let's get our trust expert on hold on Mike, I like that question. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies to find out now three oh three seven to seven to one. Help You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance.
Speaker 13: Three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: All right, three oh three seven one three eight two five five one line open, Dan McKenzie are expert Will's trust in anything along those lines. First of all, thanks for coming on, Dan. Quick question. I'm sure it's very simple. But you know, Mike called up. He's going to help his daughter buy a house when he passes. He wants her to own the entire thing. So should they put it in a trust? And if so, what kind of a trust? I assume it would just be a revocable trust. But what say you, Dan, or any advice you have on it, and I'll bring Mike up if you have any questions for him.
Speaker 30: Yeah, I guess the question really is, like, it sounds like this is going to be a gift, and so you have some gifts concerns to be thinking about as far as whether a gift text return.
Speaker 2: Will need to be filed.
Speaker 30: If he's just going to give her the money to buy this house or buy the house and give the house to her, then that is a gift and it probably is going to exceed what you're allowed to give without founding text return, and so that's one consideration. Another way to set this up that seemed to be pretty popular with our clients is we characterize that the money as a loan instead of a gift, and we know that they really mean for it to be a gift, but we just set it up so that there is a interest payment every year, and then the person you meant to give the gift just offsets that interest payment.
Speaker 2: So, oh interesting. So Mike, you have any questions on what Dan is saying.
Speaker 18: Well, on the on the gift tax portion, if I am part owner of the house, there wouldn't be a gift tax correct.
Speaker 30: Well, I don't know about that. I mean, how are you if you're putting her on the house, Like, are you going to buy the house first and an add her to it or is that.
Speaker 2: Or are you going to buy it together?
Speaker 18: Buy it together?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 30: And she contributed money to that or just you correct she is?
Speaker 2: So it's almost like it like a married couple, right, I mean, honestly.
Speaker 30: Yeah, And the only question is, you know, I don't know what your family situation is, Mike, but if you've got other children who would expect to get a similar gift or you know, be upset if they didn't get something like that, you just got to think through, like, you know, how is that going to be offset from your estate plan if you have one? And yeah, I mean people, you know, I always tell people if you're going to buy real estate with someone you're not married to, you's got to be aware you do not have a divorce process available to you to help you sort that out if something goes differently than you expected and somebody wants.
Speaker 3: To get out.
Speaker 2: But Dan, here, here's really my question on this, and I'll let Mike ask any follow up, But does he actually just for the tax aspect if they're both going to own it? And buy it, and let's say it's joint tendancy. I mean, would it even matter on the tax reasons? When Mike dies, she would just get the entire house at the original basis, right.
Speaker 30: No, at the new basis the data death value basis.
Speaker 2: The date of his death, even though they both own it. So wait a minute, So Suzanne and I right now, if we own a house together and I die, she simply owns the householy herself, and her basis would be the original basis.
Speaker 30: Right, So it's confusing that it's potentially half of the basis. Half the value steps up to the data death basis, and then when she dies, maybe that second half steps up, so there can still be some capital game text.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, So what kind of a trust would Dan need? Just from what you're saying, I mean, when we say what kind of a trust, really, that's not even the proper word. It just needs to be worded for what he wants the trust itself. It's not a particular kind of trust.
Speaker 30: Yeah, I mean, I guess the questions would like, what the intent this is going to be her house? It sounds like she's going to live there and he's not right, correct, Okay, Yeah, So I mean, you know, I don't know, I don't I don't know if you need a trust necessarily to give that house to her. I mean, she might want to put it in a trust depending on her family situation, but you know, creating a trust potentially and putting it in there like if you were to buy it. But it sounds like she's going to contribute to it. So I just don't know if a trusts to play into this or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's kind of where That's kind of where I keep going back to. I don't know why he if this is all we're talking about is his house. She's going to live there, she's going to be on the deed, and he's going to He's going to be on the deed as well, just to basically help her with the loan. But he's not even going to live there. I mean, when he dies, it just all becomes hers, right.
Speaker 30: Yeah, I mean you need to be aware it could go the other way. I mean, tragically could go the other way and she passes away and you're alive. This is the intent that to go back to you at that point.
Speaker 15: Sure, does she have a significant.
Speaker 12: Other or what?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a curious part of it.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I would put her and her husband both on the if I was going to do a tenancy in common Yeah, okay.
Speaker 30: So yeah, Tennessee in common is not joint and it does not go to the survivor. Right, So if if it's tenancy in common and somebody passes away, their share goes to their descendant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your daughters. So basically he meant, that's my bad because I get him confused. He meant joint tenancy. Okay, okay, so but but Dan, I really do want to somewhat clarify this. If it was joint tendancy, and let's just say it went the way he's thinking, he passes first and she owns the house, but she's always been on the deed. I mean, her basis would still be from day one when they purchased it, right, Yeah, there wouldn't be a step up in that in that instance. Now, if it was joint tenants or tenants in common, there would be for that share of it, right.
Speaker 30: I think either way there's a there's a step up in the basis.
Speaker 2: For his part of this, for his part either way, yeah, okay, where if it's in the trust, there wouldn't be a step up.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 30: I mean these are pretty complex. I always tell you, like, look, I'm not the tax expert here actually, but yeah, yeah, I don't know if the trust plan, if it's just a revocal trust, if it's really gonna you know, get rid of or enhance the capital games tax basis she gets you know, she's married and it's her primary residence. She gets five thousand dollars a game before she hits to pay any capital games.
Speaker 29: Tax when she sells the place.
Speaker 30: So there's quite a few different moving variables on that part of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's interesting. Where would he take a deeper dive into this? I mean, should he call you just offline and kind of explain everything or.
Speaker 25: What he could?
Speaker 30: I mean you probably you know, Mike, if you have a CPA, I mean, it's I'd be kind of a joint effort by both the CPA and the lawyer.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, you know what, Dan mackenzie, I really appreciate your time and for anybody out there, whether it's a simple will, a complex trust, acid protection, this guy, this guy really does do it all. So uh CO plans dot co co plans dot co or eight three three co plans. But but Mike, I want to I want to do something for you real quick. Hey, Kelly, see if we can get Eric reinimeir back on. I want to ask an account of that, because I'm not so sure, Mike. Hold on, I'm still not sure you need even a trust just for what we're talking about. But Dan's absolutely right, these are accounting questions. I'm going to call up our account and hold tight.
Speaker 12: Everybody go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an durance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: All right, don't forget three three. Martino works on and off the air. Hey, Mike, I'm going to go to you. As soon as we got air a cup. I'll go back to you on that question. On the trust and buying a house with your daughter. And then Frank Duran, I wanted to ask some average days on the market in Denver. Now how long? Okay?
Speaker 10: So the latest dMar report mark is fifty five days is average days on market?
Speaker 2: And give me an idea what the what the shortest term was in the last save five years?
Speaker 10: Oh short, Oh my gosh, they're like eleven days, eleven days, five days.
Speaker 5: Oh my.
Speaker 10: There was a time mark when we had like eleven days of inventory, so homes were flying off in twenty four to forty eight hours.
Speaker 2: So it's like a buyer's market now, you know what, for.
Speaker 10: The single family homes were still technically a seller's market. We're under three months of inventory. But for the attached market that shifted more into more of a balance market. We're sitting just under five months of inventory.
Speaker 2: And attached being what like a condo like condos and town homes. So and we were just talking about that on the break and Stephanie you said you're dealing with one now, the condo as an hoa lawsuit?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is it over insurance like a roof for what?
Speaker 21: No, No, it was builder defects. So great news for my personal listing is that's actually in the process of settling. Okay, But what we were talking about was days on market and how that can increase your days on market.
Speaker 2: Because of a lawsuit. Absolutely, and then when it comes to actually financing, John, I mean when a bank or a lender looks at it in general and there's any kind of pending or lawsuit pending, I mean, that makes it really hard because you have no idea what the outcome.
Speaker 8: Is really hard because you usually won't get you insure title around it, I mean no title companies. Well, so yeah, it's hard to get lending.
Speaker 2: And honestly, Frank, a buyer would be crazy if there's a lawsuit pending, such as on a condo, because they might walk into a special assessment of one hundred trillion zillion dollars I mean, you know, some crazy amount.
Speaker 7: That's true.
Speaker 2: Mark.
Speaker 10: We cast our bars be very careful and watch those beatings minutes because sometimes the sellers don't even know themselves and it's very important there's rumblings that there might be a lawsuit coming up.
Speaker 2: We got to be very careful. That's why you got to have a good realtor. That's why we have people like Stephanie Thomas and Frank Duran, and lenders like John Clace. And we've got a reverse mortgage question. Frank, you'll be right after this. But Tom's been holding the longest. Tom, what is your question on gifting money? Real quick?
Speaker 3: Hey, Mark, I'll make it quick. My sister in law was in a horrific accident back in Michigan about three years ago. Long story, fast forward short. She's getting a massive settlement. I don't know how much, but she considers me family and she wants to share something nice. Well it is I kind of don't want her to do that. I mean, her accident, her pain per a year in ICU, and one million dollars of hospital bills.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I hope she is. She okay now.
Speaker 3: Though, Oh my god, she's as good as you and I are. Oh good, good, good practicely, but she wants to give me something. I don't know what that something is. Thousand bucks, one hundred thousand bucks, I don't know. Yeah, but if all of a sudden I get a check in the mail, Yeah, what kind of tax? Am I looking at it?
Speaker 2: Well, you won't have to well, I mean, if you get a check for over fourteen million dollars, you'll probably owe some taxes up to that amount. You're not going to owe taxes, really, so she throws me one hundred thousand.
Speaker 3: I don't have I'm not no.
Speaker 2: When you go to your account and you're going to have to file a gift tax return, but all it's going to do is take away from her life amount she can do. And as of right now, that's thirteen point nine to nine million. But if it's over eighteen thousand in any given year, and these numbers change all the time, man, there was one year. I'm pretty sure there was one year where there was no limit. I forget what year it was, but right now it's basically fourteen million. But if it's over eighteen thousand dollars in one year, your accountant needs to do a gift tax and basically all that does is offset hers the amount, I'm sorry, offset you the amount you can get for the rest of your life. Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: That's it, man, And if it's you and your wife, if you are married or whoever, you could get half. Okay, all right, Hey, what's your question on reverse mortgages? Frank? Thanks for that call. Tom. Hey, Frank, Hi, Hi, Mark jah Hi.
Speaker 15: About a year ago last spring, I started investigating in reverse markets. I'm seventy five. I looked at I looked at Finance America Mutual of Omaha, and they're talking about, you know, my house is I'm seventy five at the house is worth about three fifty about first year, give me like fifteen thousand, then a year later like thirty or forty thousand. And I looked at you know, I get I saw you're at and uh again, I'm here in Cheyenne. So I don't know whether it is that. Do you operate their job?
Speaker 2: Yeah, John does. I got a question though, for John and you, Frank, I don't understand where he started off. But what is he talking about? Fifteen thousand the first year than forty I don't even I don't even get that. Generally it works two ways, Frank. You either have a line of credit and John can kind of punch some numbers and tell you what that would look like, or you can get one amount per month. I mean, there's so many ways to do it. But I don't understand the fifteen thousand one year than forty thousand.
Speaker 8: I think you're best quoted there. So the fuck they've let me, And how much you can so of the total amount you can get, say so three fifty, Say you can get a one hundred and forty out of it? Yeah, they'll they'll will only give you sixty percent of that one forty the first year. Oh and then you get the remaining the second year. If you do a fixed st rate, you can get it all. But you know, if you're not paying anything off, It's like I said, you get about three fifty, you get about forty percent of that as a loan.
Speaker 2: At seventy five. It's not fifty percent yet, No.
Speaker 8: It's it just never really gets to fifty percent anymore unless you're like ninety Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so, Frank, what is your goal? I think that's where you start with someone like John. I mean, what are you trying to do besides living your house forever?
Speaker 15: I want to look. You know, I've been here since two thousand and five. Yeah, I've got about seventy K left on the mortgage.
Speaker 23: Okay, I've got I've got a PTI of seven and twenty five a month. So that's your only income to be able to pay pay off the mortgage? Well, hold on, is that your only income Frank.
Speaker 15: My mortgage payments, my mortgage payments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm saying other, you're only in income, not your mortgage payment. Your income is how much each month?
Speaker 15: Oh, sixteen hundred a month?
Speaker 2: SSI sixteen hundred a month. So so eyeball that real quick?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, they just checked to make sure you you can afford to pay your property tax and insurance, so you'd be good. So yeah, if you owed seven, if you owe seventy, you're going to.
Speaker 2: Get that seventy paid off to ninety.
Speaker 8: Then you're gonna get about, you know, about seventy grand on top of that, which of the first year you can get maybe forty two, forty five thousand.
Speaker 2: Well that's why I was asking him, wouldn't he be better off? I mean, Frank, would you rather have a certain amount monthly? Or would you do you want to lump some of cash you can use? I don't know, That's what I meant. What are you trying to do?
Speaker 15: Okay, Well, he wants to ump.
Speaker 2: To pay off the seventy.
Speaker 8: You do that, so you get the seventy and still a line of credits. Better unless he has to use a lot of money after the seventy because this because the line of credit will get up.
Speaker 2: So here I get it. I I know what you're saying. So frank it's pretty simple. You would basically go into the reverse product. You would no longer have a mortgage payment at all. That seventy would be gone, and then you would have a line of credit for around seventy thousand. Or isn't there a way you can get a certain amount per month?
Speaker 8: Yes, there is. It's called the tenure payment, which you could get you know, five hundred and six.
Speaker 2: We'd run the run. Or what you can do is add on to that sixty sixteen hundred you're getting from SSI and add another five or six hundred a month for X amount of time. So therefore you're guaranteed you know, two thousand whatever that looks like over whatever period of time.
Speaker 15: Oh wow, now I'm really getting confused. Which way to go here?
Speaker 2: Well that's why John will talk to you. I mean the radio. The radio is no place to do it right here to go into your personal details. But I mean, really called John up. He can lend in all fifty states. He's the bank, and quite frankly, he's going to have less cost. I guarantee he's gonna have less cost than Omaha or anybody else you did, because he's a direct lender. He's the bank. He's not even what i'd call a direct lender. He's literally the bank. So I mean, he knows the underwriters, he knows every part of it. He's going to be your best option. So just call him off air.
Speaker 15: Okay, Okay, so I should just have John call me at my.
Speaker 8: Numbers.
Speaker 2: What we're gonna do. I'm gonna make it easy for you and do that, so Kelly or Suzanne will pick up. I'm going to put you on hold. Frank, sit there, We're going to get your first last name and your phone number, and John, you'll you'll call him up later on, and let's do that for him. See that's kind of funny. A lot of people don't even know what they want. I would think because of his income, it would be nice to boost that, but he might want that line of credit in case he wants to buy a new Tesla. I mean, I don't know what he wants to do.
Speaker 8: The nice thing about as you get rid of the mortgage payment, that instantly goes to your income.
Speaker 2: Okay, Hey, Mike, real quick, I've got Eric rhinimir on, I gotta take this break. We're gonna quiz the accountant on all the tax ramifications of you and your daughter buying the house together.
Speaker 12: So hold tight, all right, Mike, go with a sure thing Denver's best rufer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 13: You don't pay a cent until you're content than.
Speaker 12: Time for an insurance check up, free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one.
Speaker 2: Help.
Speaker 12: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: All right, three oh three seven one three A two five five, Uh, don't forget three oh three. Martino works on and off the air. Tell your neighbors. Eric Reinimere, I'm gonna bring Mike back on. Hey, thanks for coming back on, Eric, real quick question. He's gonna buy a house. It doesn't matter if him and his daughter or two people not married but unmarried people. It happens to be himself and his daughter. Mike and his daughter, they're going to buy a house. They're both gonna chip in on it. They're both gonna be on the deed. Mike's not going to live there, the daughter is going to live there. So when he passes away, let's say he passes away first, where her basis change at all? In other words, half of her basis won't step up, right because she actually owns a house the same day he does. It's not like he's gonna he's gonna quit claim it to her years later. They're both gonna buy it together. They're gonna probably buy it. Is a joint tenancy, So does the basis get affected at all?
Speaker 20: That's an interesting question. If it's joint tenancy, then what happens if if he were to pass away simply well.
Speaker 2: That's Eric, I swear to God, this is not your fault. It's mine. It's not I get these mixed up every time. They're gonna buy it, just like a couple would buy it, like Susanne and I tenants in common.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 20: Well, still, even though if he passes away, I would think that she would still get a bit of a step up and basis because of his asset, which is appreciated, which she should get a step up for his half for the basis and the property.
Speaker 2: It seems to me so well, I mean, you're the accountant. If this actually happened, if he passed away and she goes to file his taxes and the house went up a million dollars, I mean, what's your basis in the house?
Speaker 20: Well, they get to decide. Here's a tricky thing when you buy it together. They get to decide who's putting in the money. Are they co owning it with equal ownership?
Speaker 2: How are you doing that, Mike, Probably be co ownership equal, so it'll be so you both are putting in the same amount of money. Yes, yes, So there you go.
Speaker 20: And what's the rough value of the house bike that you're buying, Probably around eight hundred And is it going to be her so you're participating but it's her principal residence.
Speaker 18: Yes, yeah.
Speaker 20: So the other piece about this is you like to maximize it to where somehow you can take advantage of that, you know, two to fifty thousand dollars exclusion of gain on the sale of a personal residence, So that my guess is it for her? She might never have any tax impact whatsoever. I mean, will she live in it forever? What's the kind of the timeline.
Speaker 18: She's only thirty now, so I don't know how long should live in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but even if if she lived in it for whatever, five years, go ahead, Eric.
Speaker 20: Yeah, yeah, this is this is kind of an interesting twister situation. But no matter what it seems to me, she should get a step up if they co own the house, and if Mike, you were passed away, and if that half of that is your asset, which to me that happened, it's yours should get stepped up to the fair market value of what it is when you pass so that she would get that step up.
Speaker 15: Mark that.
Speaker 20: That's how I would treat it.
Speaker 2: Would it be just would it be just a step up on his fifty percent of the house or the entire house?
Speaker 20: Yeah, no, only on his fifty percent. That happens all the time when a couple own something and one person passes away, the step up the spouse gets a step up on the half that belonged to the other spouse. Yeah, whether or not it's a business or a house.
Speaker 2: Or whatever, Yeah, it doesn't matter. So the interesting part is, can you think of any way inside of a trust. And we kind of asked our trust expert the same question. And I'm not saying he said there's no way to protect that her side of it. But have you seen anything done through a trust or anything you can think of, eric that would make it to where when Mike passed her side and his side would both jump up to that basis. Let me give you an example. Is it possibly he could owe he could own ninety percent and her ten percent, So then ninety percent when he passed away would become the basis, but she still gets all the other benefits of the home ownership.
Speaker 20: Well, that's tricky.
Speaker 26: It is way.
Speaker 20: You can't have it both ways where you're giving him ninety percent but then calling her her personal residence. The other issue that comes up is who's going to what is it going to be a mortgage on the property? No, okay, so you're paying cash on it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 20: The only thing I will mention about trust I have I know from talking to attorneys, they often might advise that the sale of what is a personal residence, sometimes it's better to have it inside of what they call a residence trust to make it much easier in case one of the other person gets disabled, it can make it be easier for the remaining party. Yeah, to inside of what they call.
Speaker 2: All right, Hey, Eric, I'm sorry, I'm up against this in a Mike, Mike, I think you should call Dan Mackenzie or Eric Reinemer. They're both at LIS Firms, and Mackenzie are both on a referral list. Mike, I hope I at least helped you a little bit. I feel like we left some questions open. Maybe we can figure him out another day. Don I'll talk to you tomorrow. This is the Troubleshooter Network.