Speaker 1: Welcome to Afterlife Cafe TV. Connecting hearts, healing souls and bridging worlds. I'm your host, Helen Peacock, and this is your sacred grounds, a warm, welcoming space where you're invited to take a seat, exhale, and just be. Each week we will gather cafe style for harpbult conversations, some mediumship, a man maybe, some intuitive insights, and soulful storytelling that explore the afterlife, some healing grieving and the unbreakable bond between us and those in spirit.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: Laughter and tears are both welcome.
Speaker 3: Love transcends time.
Speaker 1: And spirit meets us in the most human of ways. So if you're seeking comfort, connection for deeper, trusting your own inner knowing, you're in the right place. So for yourself, something warm and let's begin. Hello, beautiful souls, welcome, And if you're new here, welcome. And if you're returning guests, then welcome back. And I'm super excited about this beautiful human that I have in front of me. His name is Quasi Millington and he's a former RCMP police officer who has overcome some struggles professionally as well as personally, dealing with mental challenges such as PDSD and depression. He is now traveling internationally. Yes, I've been following him as a professional speaker and a coach, and he's teaching young people and high stress organizations how to avoid burnout and also build mental health and cultivate, cultivate resilience and in their lives. So welcome, and I'm so excited to have you here.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me, really appreciate it, honored, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Now, you have a very interesting story, and I know that you've been sharing.
Speaker 3: Your story all over the globe.
Speaker 1: Mostly in the US. I've noticed California was the most recent. And if you wouldn't mind just like diving in right away, how your life just basically took a turn while being an RCMP officer.
Speaker 3: Do you do you want to start there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, we'll start. We'll start right into it. That that sounds good to.
Speaker 1: Me, like before all this happened, right, do you want to walk us through the moment that your life changed forever?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I can do that. I can definitely do that. So yeah, first of all, as you mentioned, my background is in policing. I never thought I was going to be a police officer. It wasn't one of those things that I dreamed, this is what I'm gonna do for the rest of my life. You know of those stories of the five year old kid that's like, I'm going to be a police officer. That wasn't me. It was on a way and I became an office at twenty eight years old, and I thought after starting that that is what I'm going to do for the rest of my professional life. Twenty five years. I had to plan down. I knew where I was going to go. About two years in I was transferred from Richmond, British Columbia, so I started with the RCMP across the country. I live in Toronto, but I was transferred to Richmond, just outside Vancouver, and a couple of years in I was transferred to Vancouver Airport and one night on a shift, I get a call and the call comes in. It's about one o'clock in the morning. There's a man who's breaking airport property, destroying computers and needs to be apprehended. Basically, so myself and three other officers we head up to the international arrivals area and we see him standing there and as I approach him, a couple of things I noticed. Number one, I noticed that there was stuff thrown around, so definitely he's the guy that they had called Aim. And as I approached him, I hear someone say, I don't know who it was. He doesn't speak English, and for some reason I heard that, and we've all met people that don't speak our language before. So I try to communicate with him basically using universal hand signals, you know, like opening a book and mime passport, all things that I think anybody, no matter if they understand English or not, are going to understand. And I think, Okay, he's gonna grab his paperwork, we're going to figure this out and that'll be the end of it. But he instead turns around and he grabs what we call him policing weapon of opportunity. He just picked up a stapler, fist in one hand, fist in the other, and we're going to fight to get him under arrest, and physical altercations or fighting is nothing new to police officers, so we unfortunately had to get him under arrest. Part of that was I used a taser on him. We got him down, got handcuffs on him, got him under control. So far, it's like other calls. I've dealt with you. You get physical with someone and you get under arrest and you figure things out. Unfortunately, everything changed. A couple minutes after we got him under arrest. I hear my partner on the radio say, he's turning blue. We need MS, we need ambulance, we need people to attend to him right away. Ambulance arrives, EHS paramedics fire and they start working on him. And when I say working on him, they are checking for vitals. See the defibrillator come out. And a few minutes later, I hear the three words no officer ever wants to hear time of death in that moment. Unfortunately, he died of heart failure after arrest. Now, there were things that were going on that I didn't understand before dealing with him. I didn't know that he was exhibiting what's called excited delirium. It's a condition where your heart rate is elevated and there's things going on inside of you that can compromise your heart when someone arrests you. I didn't know that he had a weekend heart. I didn't know he had some other conditions going on, and unfortunately he died. Now there was a guy recording the incident the whole time. He was on the public side of the airpork. He recorded the whole incident. He eventually sold his footage to every new station he could get paid by, and it ended up blasted all over the country. And at the time it didn't matter to me because I gave statements. I was told internally, hey, listen, you did what you were trained to do. And you know, sometimes you do the right thing and things go wrong. That's what happens. I was cleared of any wrongdoing by not only our police force, but other police force looked at it. Lawyers in British Columbia looked at it. So I figured, you know what, I'm going back to work. So I do. I go back to work. And a couple of years later, two years.
Speaker 3: Now, after two years, after two.
Speaker 2: Years after, I have to testify as to what I did that night. And Helen, I always say this, if someone asked you for all the details of something you did two years ago, would you forget some things?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Now you wouldn't forget the major details. I didn't forget that I went in there. I didn't forget that I tasted them but little things that I made, mistakes on, little discrepancies that were accidental that I made in my statements when I testified. Those were called deliberate lies. Right, So I was accused of lying deliberately to cover up what happened. There's no reason that I would have done that. Like I said before, I was cleared of doing anything wrong. I was told that I did everything right. I was back to work. I just figured I'm going to go testify at this inquiry, do the best. I can't go back to work. I figure it's done. I go home from testifying after three days, and I'm at home a few months later and I go check the mailbox. There's a letter waiting for me, and the letter says, Quacy Millington, You've been charged with perjury. So I was charged criminally, not for anything I did at the airportsury, but for lying about what I said I did at the airport, even though those were accidental mistakes. So I hope we're following the timeline here, because it can get a little confusing. Sometimes you go to the incident, you testify about it, you're charged with lying about what you say happened. I've never lied, but I was still charged with perjury. A judge saw it differently. He convicted me and sentenced me to two and a half years in prison.
Speaker 3: Two and a half and a.
Speaker 2: Half years in prison in Canada, you have to serve a third of your sentence, no matter if your good behavior or not, so two and a half years equates to thirty months. I eventually spent ten months in the Canadian correctional system and I lost my career. So my career ended. I still remember the date, December twelfth, twenty seventeen. That was the day that I got my paperwork saying that I was discharged aka fired from the RCMP. So that was twenty seventeen, and since then I've been kind of figuring out what's next in life. And yeah, that's my background, that's what I used to do. Now I have trying to use that going forward to make more of a positive impact with what I've learned, what I've gone through to help other people.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest with you, I haven't heard This is the first time i've heard your full story about that, So thank you again for sharing that. Yeah, but and how was it for you like when everything was stripped away, Like that's your career, that's your identity. Like what was what was your hardest part through that whole process? Like, once you've served your sentence, where did you move?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: How did you move forward from that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I mean there's how did I move forward? What was the hardest part? Like if I think of those questions kind of separately, that I guess the hardest part You mentioned identity. Yeah, as in policing, it's I think a little bit different than a lot of other careers. You do wrap your identity up in what you do as a first responder, right, police, fire, certain other careers as well, And so I was a police officer, right, So it was almost like there was Quacy the police officer. I kind of wrapped myself up into that. So the hardest part was trying to figure out who am I outside of that, And that was a challenge for me. And I remember I was in when I was inside. If you will, everybody has to get a job, and my job ended up being as a prison tutor. So I went to the school and I was an English tutor. I helped some So I worked in the school and some of the inmates in there you can get your high school diploma when you're in prison. So a lot of guys, they say about seventy to eighty percent of prison inmates in Canada don't have a high school diploma. I do. So I ended up tutoring a lot of the guys that helped some of them write their pro board letters. And by the time I walked out of those prison doors, that helped about thirty inmates, over thirty in mates to get their high school diplomas, and that was something that was enriching to me. But what I learned from that is the teacher that was inside. He had a master's degree. He was always well dressed, and he used to tell me that he loved being in there, even though I know he could have taught anywhere, because he wanted to help some of those guys get out so they never came back. And he always told me, this is why I do what I do. This is why I do what I do, and that why stuck with me. And so when I think of my identity, and the hardest part of kind of getting through everything was figuring out, Okay, why did I become a police officer? And can I hold onto that going forward? So I became a police officer to help other people, right, And it sounds very cliche, but that's why I did it. I did it because I did it also because I didn't want to work a nine to five under a cubicle in lights. I wanted to work outside and help people and do different things every day. And I figure, Okay, how can I do that? How can I help people in a different environment. And by sticking to that as opposed to the police and career, I was able to forge a new identity because I know, Okay, I can't be a police officer anymore, but I can still help people in other ways. So I got back into personal try and then eventually now what I do is I'm a speaker and I'm a coach.
Speaker 3: And where do you Where do you do most of your speaking?
Speaker 2: Yes? So what Yeah? Most of my speaking is with either two main markets, first responders or frontline workers, anyone who deals with you know, first responder, law enforcement, health and safety, those types of people, or with young people. I end up in the education space. I work with CADA twelve and college and university students. The topic is the same mental health, resilience, overcoming challenges and those are Those are the people that I speak to.
Speaker 1: And there's one thing that you had mentioned to me, this is it's like your your mission and I put that in the title of the show. It's not your reality, it's your response that matters. Can you expand on that.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I'd love to say that brilliant line is.
Speaker 3: Most I love it. I actually love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I use it now And I kind of altered a little bit of what my mother used to say. But it's my mother is lying. I come from a single parent home. My dad left when I was My dad left when I was five, And Helen, we've known each other for a while, but now you're like getting to know me me right, Yes, I am so. My dad left when I was five, and my mom was never bitter about it. She never took them to court. She never did some of the things you might expect someone to do, like he cheated on her, he had a child with another woman. There's a cool Young and Restless story behind that. But I'm aging myself with Young and the Restless. Say I used to watch it, Yeah, okay, fair enough for.
Speaker 3: Back in high school.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, we al used to watch it. That in days of our Lives was my other one I used to watch. But anyways, and so she never did any of those things that you might think someone that has been you know, hurt like that might do. And years later I sat down with her and I'm like, Mom, you were never bitter. You encouraged me that relationship with dad. How did you do it? And she said, you know, I chose not to be bitter and that was her choice. She's always reminded me of that, even when I went through what I went through. You can choose to be better at the RCP. You can choose to be bitter at everything that happens, or you can move on. And she said, you're going to be facing things that are unfair, unpredictable, and uncontrollable in your life.
Speaker 4: But she said, it's not your reality that matters, it's your response exactly. He said that years before any of this policing stuff happened, years before I even became a police officer.
Speaker 2: So I stuck. I held onto that, and now I share that. It's kind of my mission to remind the people that I speak to that no matter what you're going to and it applies to everybody. For police officers, it's not your reality. It's not the reality of the fact that maybe you didn't get the promotion, or something happened that you wish didn't happen, or personal relationship didn't go the way you wanted it to. With students, it's not the test that you failed. It's not you know, the girl that dumped you. It's not the reality of the fact that maybe your parents don't support the dream you will have in your life. It's how you respond to it that matters. So the tagline really applies no matter what age I'm.
Speaker 1: Speaking to, no matter what age. Oh, I like that because I did see some videos of you, mostly like with students. How did they respond to you when you're when you're up there doing your thing, like you must feel so supercharged just knowing that you get to share your story. How did the students actually respond to that?
Speaker 3: For you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And and you know, my story that I share with students is a little bit different. I mean what I just told you forms the bulk of what I share with first responders. With students, I like to kind of go back to their world. So I actually share about a small, very small percentage of my whole story with the students in my life. Okay, you know that I do with them, but I talk more about the things I've gone through when I was their age, Failing in school, having a crush on a curl, you know, not university, trying to get in like all the things that I went through when I was their age. To make it, you know, even more applicable to them, I do share parts of my story, but to ask answer your question, there's no there's nothing like standing in front of, you know, hundreds or even thousands sometimes of you know, young people that you know they're not sure about you at first, but then you know, you share with them, and then they share with you. Sometimes they cry, Yeah, sometimes they share things they haven't shared with a lot of people, and it creates some some special moments.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: I love the fact that you're planning seeds, right, You're planning seeds with them, and then it's up to them what they're going to do with your story, you know, whatever it is that you share to help them move forward on their journey. Because I'm a firm believer like what you think becomes your reality, I'm huge on that. So it's again, it's playing the seeds very much so, you know, you create your own reality just by your thoughts alone and the things that you choose. But it's also understanding that you know, everything happens for a reason obviously, and you know you wanted to be of service, you wanted to help others. It just kind of went it came about it in a different way. And you know, you did help others inside an actual prison, Like how amazing is that to make a difference for those who did something wrong, if they were charged wrong or committed something. But the fact that you also help them to get, you know, high school diploma, even that alone.
Speaker 2: Is rewarding. And especially a lot of them, a lot of them were kind of guarded at first. When you know, they pretend they don't want it, right, they come into whatever I got to do this education disagree, But then you know, when it's time to graduate, they're like, yo, when am I getting that diploma? You know, so you can you can see the pride when they absolutely come back and know they've gotten it and they've earned it. It's a special it's a special thing there too.
Speaker 1: So going back to to you, okay, because I want to come back to you. Did forgiveness become part of your healing journey or it's forgiveness. Would you say overrated?
Speaker 2: I don't think forgive this is overrated because I think some.
Speaker 1: People might think, oh, just forgive, just forgive, But I believe it's who you are, and that's a huge part of our human existence. I believe is forget well, forgiving ourselves first, even forgiving the judge, how about that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, definitely, there's there's a lot of elements there like forgiving. I mean there's you know, people that were within the RCMP that could have done things differently that I need to forgive. And you're right for forgiving the judge and say that, you know, I always assume people act with knowledge that I don't have any access to. Right, So even if I was bitter against the judge and I feel like he was out to get me, at the end of the day, he's making a decision based on factors in his mind that he sees that I don't know about things in his past that have happened that led him to being in front of me in that courtroom. All the years that he's gone through, all the things that he's gone through, led him to the mindset that he has the decisions that he's made. I don't know any of that. So forgiveness for me is not saying I forgive you, but it's about saying there are things I don't know, so because I'm ignorant to the whole story, yeah, I won't pass judgment on it. So that's kind of what forgiveness means and allows me to say authentically, I forgive because I don't know everything. So that's that's the same thing I use. I don't know. I don't know all the things that went on in his life that led him to say, you know what, I'm gonna be an ABSENTIFA. I don't know everything. It hurts, But at the same time, I don't know everything that he went through in his life to lead him to that making that decision. So forgiveness for me is just pleading ignorance as opposed to saying, give you you know.
Speaker 1: And what would you say to someone listening right now who may say feel stuck or broken or believes that life has been unfair to them, What would you say to them, M.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're there, if you're out there and you're you believe that life has broken you, I will say that there are probably things that are in your future that you can't even imagine that could only happen if you're going through what you're going through right now. And this is where faith comes into play. You have to say to yourself, there must be something that will happen because of this that needs to happen. I could have never foreseen what I'm doing now as part of my life. I didn't even want it. I wanted to be a police officer, but because none of what I've I'm doing now could have happened without that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally believe story.
Speaker 2: That's been written beforehand had to have been written for me to write the story I'm writing now, and the single's true for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I look at that too.
Speaker 1: I call myself a woman of many hats, right, I've done many many jobs you name it.
Speaker 3: I've practically done it. Okay except for being a stripper, but.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I'm just saying, everything has led up to where I'm at today.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I'm not afraid of an audience because I was in the film industry acting on stage, so I have that right. I've always been of service and things like that, So I just but if you ask me, you know, fifteen twenty twenty years of age.
Speaker 3: Would I be would I be talking to dead people? No, I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't never it just I fell into it, basically. But I had to live my life's experience to help me be the person that I am today, and I've got I've had lots of highs and I've had some lots of lows and lots of experiences. And so I'm a firm believer that your past can give you the ingredients of where you are meant to be. But again, if you choose that right and you've I am going to share with the honest because, like I said, I've been following you a lot lately and you you you mentioned faith. You mentioned you have a friend that you now talked to that you pray to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely absolutely, friend friend named Jesus is who you know? You know, I've had an up and down relationship with my faith.
Speaker 3: I have no doubt.
Speaker 2: My mother hasn't. My mother has been even keeled. Yeah, you know who she is, you know her beliefs. She sends me Bible versus regularly ever since I was a kid. Honestly, she's yeah, straight through. But I've had my ups and downs but what I've known and what I've where I've come to now is that my life is better. I have more peace, I have no joy when I rely on the things I know, the example that Jesus led, reading things in the Bible and applying those concepts to my life and talking to God daily and not let I kneel down and I say official prayers like I talked to him like.
Speaker 3: I'm talking to you as a friend, as a friend, Hey.
Speaker 2: God, how you doing? Like that? Those types of things, and I try to surrender. I'm still working on what that means exactly to me, Like surrendering you kind of take control of this is what I'm meant to do. Fine, and let's go with it. So it's it's helped me so much.
Speaker 3: I like that. Yeah, you know who you should follow.
Speaker 1: I've been following her for years actually since COVID, and she's she had a huge audience, but it's now shifted, very well connected. She is now all about Jesus and she is trying to get the message out there. She's always she's teaching it. She's actually writing a.
Speaker 3: Book with him with him. Okay, so there you go, Lori, lad, I'll spell it for l O R I E l A D.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she is just so raw and so authentic. And I just love that my audience is hearing this right now because I want to help spread the mission as well on her behalf, because she she did lose a lot of followers. She just all of a sudden, her life is just completely changed. And I've just noticed that you've integrated him more in your posts, and I was just like, oh, I just I just I love that, you know, because you're you're you're being so real, you're being so raw, and you know that's authenticity to me is the highest frequency that you can walk through in life.
Speaker 2: So authenticity is the highest frequency. Yeah, that's amaking that one.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll be honored. Okay, So question for you.
Speaker 1: If you could sit across from your younger self, the version before all of this happened, would you tell them.
Speaker 2: Mmm, I would tell that younger version of me along the same lines, Pray more, surrender more. That's it, because I think that I've tried to walk my own path for too long and this is where it's you know this, it led me down the wrong way, and my life is still blessed now because I'm being led as opposed to just leading my own way, walking my own way.
Speaker 3: You're such a beautiful human. You know that you are.
Speaker 2: I try to try to.
Speaker 1: Try.
Speaker 2: I know, you know what. I'm going to share this as well. I don't know, maybe someone needs to hear this. There's been times in my life when I haven't treated people well, done good things in life. There's probably people still out there that I haven't treated well that probably still despised me. And we might look at me and say, who is this guy? You know? Yeah, I know who you are or who you were. Some people can only see yesterday's version of you. And doesn't mean you can't change. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, or people don't change. That's not true at all. I don't believe that change. And you don't have to feel guilty about who you were. That's kind of a lessoning. Yeah, start to learn.
Speaker 3: I call it.
Speaker 1: It's part of the being. It's part of the human experience. That's why we're here to have these experiences. And then it's what you do with all those experiences. But at the end of the day, to me, it's all about love, right, and it's loving ourselves, and it's loving those that have hurt us knowingly or unknowingly, and but most of all, loving ourselves and forgiving ourselves. And yeah, I just want to say thank you so much for being here and just sharing.
Speaker 3: I know thirty minutes.
Speaker 2: Goes by, so so I said, no, we just get started.
Speaker 1: I know, well, we got the meat potatoes bait, We got the meat potatoes out of that. But if you ever want to come on back on and share anything that's happening in your life, anything that you want to share for my audience, my platform is here and waiting for you. Always know that, Quezzi, know that. So one of these days I may make it out to one of your platforms.
Speaker 3: You never know, you never know.
Speaker 2: Just keep doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just keep doing what you're doing, and the world will be a better place.
Speaker 2: Thanks to my friend.
Speaker 3: Thank you, it's nice having you.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, till next time, my friend, be well. And to my audience, I hope you love this show. I hope there's something that you could take away just from Quezi's experience. Okay, thank you for being here and tuning in until next time. I want to thank you for tuning in to after Life Cafe TV. Connecting Hearts, healing souls and bridging worlds.
Speaker 3: I'm Helen Peacock and I am so grateful.
Speaker 1: Yes, it makes my heart saying that you chose to spend this time here with me. So to continue the connection, I do invite you to tune into the talk radio every Tuesday at eleven am for new episodes. And you can also visit my website at Helenpeacock dot ca to find out more about my sessions, group readings, yes even zoom group readings, and perhaps some events I may be holding.
Speaker 3: And also there will be a course on your such development.
Speaker 1: Mediumship development if you're interested in that, And just know that there are more ways to gather in our sacred gross community where you can also again find me at Helenpeacock dot ca. So if this episode touched your heart, please like, share and subscribe. It does help the space for each others who may need it to. So until next time, trust the signs, stay curious and remembers pure love never ends.
Speaker 3: It's just different