Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Game Spot After Dark, episode ninety four. It's a very exciting episode because we've got so many games to talk about, but also because we are joined by an extremely special guest, a good friend of ours and a an incredible advocate within the industry, one and only Steven Spawn. How are you doing?
Speaker 2: Okay? But I have a question before we get started, like this is after dark, but clearly all of us are in daylight. Yeah. The giant window behind me as a light portal behind her. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the way the way we're coming at this, I think we've decided is is the world is the darkness and we are the light within it, and these podcasts are an attempt to get to the place that is after the dark. Oh damn, exactly. There you go, Dann as a someone mocking hit me up. I know that.
Speaker 3: This is like the thing that I love and hate about some more is that he can pull something like that out of his ass.
Speaker 4: With no preparation.
Speaker 3: And it's like like his death Loop preview that he wrote the other day. It's like he's messaging with me going like I'm really tired, I don't know how I'm going to do this, And then he writes, just like this beautiful copy about death loop, and I was like I wish I was like, I wish I could write like this.
Speaker 1: Well that that very complimentary voice was of course James Hi see. And we are also joined by the Maestro himself, Jean Luke Saiki Maestro. Wow, I'm calling you the Maestro. Now that's your new name. You're getting Maestro.
Speaker 4: I'll take yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this is a special episode obviously because we're gonna have an announcement. But first to set up the announcement, we have a traditional segment which we're gonna go through, the Chris from Dayton, Ohio segment. Roll the sting Chris, So, Stephen, if you're not aware, I mean like at this point most people are aware, but I'm gonna do the spield anyway, we have a segment in which first timers on our podcast have to explain who they are, what they do, the games and things that they love and keep coming back to, and effectively encapsulate their whole lives in existence and tastes in about let's say three two, let's say like five to ten minutes ish. And this is because someone from Chris from Dayton, Ohio emailed in and said, I don't really know any of you, so can you explain who you are?
Speaker 3: I believe his words were like, I'm enjoying the podcast, but I don't know who the hell you guys are.
Speaker 1: So in his honor, we've created the christ from Day and a higher segments. So Steven, tell us a little bit about yourself.
Speaker 2: So like, that's like a very existential question. Yeah, who oh, no, hold on, hold on while I go through therapy real quick. Gosh. Well, so my name is Steve. I am a gaming with disabilities. You often see me running around the internet playing games with a hot on my head and the mouse in my hands because I can't use a keyboard or controller. I use assistive technology to help me play video games, often on Twitch. Five nights per week I'm doing that and during the daytime, I'm the CEO of able Gamers. Generally, you've probably have heard about us. We tend to do okay things here and there. Usually has to deal with people with disabilities, sometimes cats, as much as I can put them in cats because cats are great. Basically, my day is pretty much filled with back end stuff and making sure that we're giving out as much technology as we can to people with disabilities who just want to play games like the rest of us. It sounds like either the best job or the most boring job, depending on which side if you're looking at the excel side of the job or you're looking at the going and helping children side of the job, and you'd be right either way. But it's really pretty great. I you know, who I am as a person outside of all that is really just a guy that's trying to make the world a better place. So you know, where Lucy and Tam have known me forever is basically where I'm usually running around doing interviews with you know, kind of funny or doing some kind of shenanigans where I'm just trying to convince people to be better people. My entire persona is generally telling people they need to have empathy and care about other people, and that comes into real handy with a job where you're trying to help disable people to get into video game. Really, it's a it's a great uh space that we all love in video games. It's something that we all can connect with and enjoy. My favorite taste is white pizza, yummy, delicious. Yeah, and also kit Cats kick cats are also delicious.
Speaker 1: Kit Kat, please sponsor Steve and Able Gamers. Yeah, I think it's probably you said it well there, but it's probably worth restating for people who might not be aware of the impact that the stuff that able Gamers is having, Like, not only is it making video gamings accessible to a lot of people, but also in a time when you know, off the back of the advocacy and the raising awareness around it from both able gamers and other places as well, in a time when the video game industry is trying and is getting better at looking at the accessibility of their games. You know, an organization like aable game and Steve as a person becomes more vital to the games that you play and how they're designed and how they're developed. So not only is it is it you know, important for people to be access to games, but Able Gamers and Steve's efforts and Steve's team's efforts are changing the way games are made to make sure that it's not just a matter of how can someone interface with this, it's a matter of how can we from the ground up look at our video game experience and keep in mind that there are people that come from all walks of lives and backgrounds and have different needs that can play it, and that is just an incredible force for good within the industry. So thank you for doing that. And I'm sure everyone who's listening to this will also appreciate the effort you're putting in. Now more importantly, before we started this, you sent an email when we were talking about what we should talk about, and you said, why are cat's so cute? And now that now that I've been appointed at seemingly the host of the show, I can make that happen. So the question is, here's the challenge. What part of a cat do you look at and makes you go, holy shit, that is the cutest thing I seen?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 1: There's a cat on screen right now? Is it like then? Because some people are like, I really like the nose, the nose of kitties. Some people are like the little booty their bums when they're like getting ready to attack someone. Some people like it's the eyes or the ears. What is it for you that when you look at each of you, when you look at a cat, you're like, oh my god, how will we blessed with such a creature?
Speaker 2: M Oh, the fuzziness. Cats have to be super fuzzy, Like I realized there's hairless cats out there, and remember, if you are owner of a hairless cat, please send all of that angry email to Lucy James.
Speaker 3: Oh I wish, like genuinely, I have wanted nothing more than a cat just for the last few years, like the cat that we had. So my family kind of gets into the habit of getting old rescue cats who we think will be around for like five years, but we'll live for an extra ten out of spite. And so we had this cat called Kick, and Kick was like on paper, the worst cat you could get. Like I came home one time and my mom was like in the corner batting him off with the dining chair because the cat was just like kissing your her for the whole time. But he died when I was about twenty one, and since then and it's almost ten years later at this point, I'm like, I just want a cat, Like I'm following Gimme Shelter in San Francisco on Instagram to see when the next cat's going to be available. My partner Zach, like his roommate's cat is like my sort of surrogate cat that I have legitimate tried to steal on more than one occasion. So don't be so steep. Don't be telling people that I'm out here.
Speaker 2: As a cat.
Speaker 3: I have got the receipts. Just today, I was feeling a little bit down and I texted my friend Cat and Cat messaged me a video of their cats, because they have two cats. One is called Scully and the other one is called Rick. And yeah, did little voice ever going, Hey, say hi to Lucy, so love me a cat.
Speaker 1: Every now and every now and then I get a video from Cat of their cats, and I'm like, this is the best, is so good, But you didn't answer the question, Lucy, so thank you for wasting everyone's time.
Speaker 3: It's the eyes, eyes and ears. And then because my favorite thing to do with a cat is like every that sounds weird, but whenever I see a cat for the first time, I always do the kind of there's no way to introduce yourself to a cat formerly, so I just like hold out my fingers so they can sniff it, and just that sounds weird again, but like so they can kind of understand that you are introducing yourself, and then that's when they usually kind of just like I know.
Speaker 2: What you're talking about a full dress attire the CA I'm like, hello, sir.
Speaker 1: I do the same put your finger out to let them smell it on every day I've been to. So that's probably why I'm singles. So we've got the fuzziness from Steve, We've got the eyes from Lucy Jean Luke, you're up. What is your what is your tell us a cat story? And also what is the part of the cat that you're like.
Speaker 4: Well, my cat's story is that I am unfortunately allergic to cats. To be fair, it's it's a hit or miss. So I've been to some friends where if I'm there for more than like thirty minutes, my eyes get all puffy and my notes gets stuffy, and I'm like, I need to leave because you're just not having a good time. But there are other friends I've gone to where I am perfectly fine, And so I've also been wanting a cat for a while, but I have to do that extra step of the research to find I have to like go I basically will need to like go to a place and like hang out with that cat for like thirty minutes, yeah, and like see if we're cool with each other. And if we are, then it's like all right, I mean, I guess you.
Speaker 2: I know that.
Speaker 3: You know some breeds of dog are hypoalergenic, so maybe it's the same for cats. But then that's weird if you think about it. It's like humans of bread animals so that we're not allergic to them. Yeah yeah, people, wait wait wait, hairless cat.
Speaker 4: See now, I'm not like that hairless cat. My partner was like, hairless cat, we can go that, and I'm like, no, I can't. I can't.
Speaker 1: I've never seen I've never seen a hairless cat that doesn't look furious.
Speaker 4: So I respect them, but I can't. I need, I need, I need the fluffiness. But for me, it's the it's the pause. It's the little tobeans on a cat. I love me some good little little paws, some little tobeans. They're just so cute and you want to, like velvety and you touch them, but you shouldn't because they get mad about it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean bellies as well, Like you have to be on really good terms with the cat to well.
Speaker 2: You just have to realize that it's a trip and it's like, uh, it's a curvyushy maroon. Right, you're never gonna win because it's like, oh, you got to put it exactly two and three quarters time.
Speaker 1: Either way, Yeah, exactly. Yeah. I was gonna say the toes as well, the little paws, but since that's taken, I will say, my cat has this thing where sometimes she'll forget, she'll forget to put her tongue back in her mouth. A lot of cats do it where she would just be like walking around and her tongue still in her mouth, and I usually remind her that it's there by just like it's always like hanging out a bit. So I just like boining it a bit, and it'll like it would just like flap a bit, and then she'll be like, all right, I get it. Put the put the put the tongue back in the mouth. But yeah, I think I think we've thoroughly figured out why cats are cute. It's the fuzziness, it's the eyes, it's the toes, and it's when they have their little tongue out. So I think scientific work has been done here.
Speaker 3: Case closed.
Speaker 2: We did, we solved done.
Speaker 1: Now that we've scientifically figured out how cats make us there swoon for them and make us their their pets in reality. Let's move on to what we've been doing and playing. So Steven, uh, what you've been up to, what you've been playing, what you've been enjoying lately? We say what we've been playing, but it could be anything. If, like you, you've eaten a good, you know, particular meal, that counts. If you've if you've looked at the starry sky and notice one particular stars and it moved you, that counts like anything and everything.
Speaker 2: I don't think those are video games, but yeah, yeah, a weird podcast, so yeah, don't free to use that in marketingals. So uh no for games. I have been loving Outriders, have been doing a long lot of time into that. Actually I did, like a lot of people, I did, jumped into the Mass Effect Legendary edition, and I spent five and a half hours with my friend Dylan or Rudism as a lot of people know him, who does all those weird controllers on the internet that like playing with a bagel for those of you who may with the guy but no, no his name, that's Rudism. Uh. Where we literally reset the game's accessibility, which wow, yeah it was. There was a lot of files in there, that we had to tackle and uh but took us five hours. After that, we we've figured out how to get me to be able to play it. So it was exciting. Uh yeah. And then other than that, there's my little bit of backlog. I feel like I'm starting to ac crew because there's actually some good games out there, like Subnatica that I want to get to, that just seems to be this this ongoing thing. And then you know, we're in We're in summer, so hot Game Summer is upon us, so we're gonna end up four and more games, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you do you find I don't know about the rest of you. Do you find yourself kind of preparing for Hot Game Summer by like taking your foot off the gas on games, because I sometimes do that where I'm like I'm gonna I almost like I don't do it consciously. I feel like I start playing less games as hot game Summer as it's now been coined by by Steve that's the official term for its as Hot Game Summer appears like I'm just like I'm gonna slow down, or I'll play games that are like repeat games like Overwatch or something like that. I mean recently, and like I count Mass Effect as that, I don't feel like I'm playing a new experience in a way I am, but like I'm done with I'm almost done with Resident Evil, but that will be the last new game I think I'm getting into. Is that the same for you or do you find yourself like building up to it by keep going and new new experiences. You're asking, You're asking the team, I'm asking everyone. You know, I was going to see who. I was going to see who who?
Speaker 2: Everyone's here. I'm like, I want to hear her take go.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the minute I took my little break before Hot Game summer, just when I came back to the UK, actually because that's when Dave and I did all Fast and Furious movies most of Mission Impossible. We have one more to go, and so instead of like playing games the whole time, we were just watching movies, which is a nice kind of break. But then Resident Evil came out and I got way into that. I liked tim Will was finished, but I'm at the end bit where it's kind of going off the rails a little bit. It's doing that in classic Resident Evil thing, and so I'm kind of doing that, but also then mass Efect came out, and so now I've swung the other way where it's just a lot of gaming, and so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think mine is just the opposite because I never played any of the mass effects at all. So I have a little of a have an idea of what happened with three as I watched the YouTube video with different endings, but it's been washed out of my brain since then, so I really have no idea what's going on.
Speaker 3: Was was the ending of three the only mass effect that's.
Speaker 2: Literally the only thing I ever saw of So I've got like a whole bunch of catching up to do because the accessibility when it first came out was so true to it. So now we've been able to hack it and make it better, so it's accessible to me now, and you know, we're gonna actually put out some of those files so the other people who are in my similar situation will be able to play as well, which is, you know, great. I wish they had included some more accessibility that would have been nice, But yeah, I think that's kind of where the industry's going and kind of where able gamers is helping push. With a lot of good advocates out there where you know, maybe the company themselves haven't thought of the accessibility, but someone's figured a way around it, and now suddenly there's you know, somebody built a MP on top of a staircase and you can get you to wheelsher up there now. So it kind of allows access to these properties that everybody has been talking about for the last decade that you could never access. Suddenly you have the ability to go play them. And also because I love to jump around on subjects because people love that and podcasts. Also my favorite interactions with Lissy was she was dealing the review of Fast and Furious. Seriously, it was just her putting up takes and me answering her.
Speaker 3: It was great, I honestly like because I loved that too. And I think that's one of the big things that kind of prompted me to watch Fast and Furious is because I've just seen this community of people and you know, within my friends but definitely online just like become so obsessed with Fast and Viewous and I never understood why because I don'ly ever seen like bits and pieces of it here and I thought, oh, this is just movies about cars. It's not this movie that movie is about family and now, Yeah, I'm in I'm in.
Speaker 1: Quarter million exactly, Luke. I know you live your life a quarter amlet of time, but how do you live? How do you live your life in the lead up to Hot Game Summer A.
Speaker 4: Hot Game Summer. Yeah, I've actually have been. I've been slowing down a little bit. I feel like we've been getting more into like TV and and stuff. Actually, like I because of Lucy. I actually also introduced my girlfriend to Fast and Furious and she's watching all of them, so I text it, what do you want to We just finished five is where.
Speaker 3: We left off, so this is where it's really that's.
Speaker 4: Where it really gets good. Yeah, I guess I don't really have like a like you said, like a subconscious plan. I just kind of, I don't know, go with the flow like I. It really is like you know, end of the day rolls around and I'm just like, what am I feeling at this exact moment? My feeling a game and I feeling anime?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: I try and keep myself somewhat organized, but like I think I I am so unorganized in my organization that I think I have like five different like lists of like things to watch and play that I like immediately forget I made that list and I just go and make a new one, and it's like always different. So I'm just I've kind of given up just sort of do what I'm feeling.
Speaker 1: That that is exactly what Notion is for. That's what you get for. Notion takes those lists and makes them manageable and gives you super editing capabilities and unless you customize boards to yourself, I've got a board callse this episode is I've got I've gotten a board called Consumption Junction, which I put all my stuff in. Thank you to Notion for sponsoring this episode. This episode to you by a Notion.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's not sponsored at all, but Notion literally just released their API and people can finally connect it to other things like Google calendar and stuff, and it's really just game changing.
Speaker 1: That's real good. That's pretty good, and it's like built it's one of those like organization tools that's kind of built for gamers, like because you can tweak, you can tweak things and put like banner images and you can be like I don't like this, but I know that if I put this rule in hair, if I out with this item. It will make this easier. And you're like, oh my god, this is a this is a game, meta game in itself.
Speaker 2: That's an ad there, you know this was Okay, okay, okay, I'm gonna need them to sponsor me because that's a lot of one.
Speaker 1: That is a lot of money. No, I think if we can get Notion and kick Cat, please sponsor Steve.
Speaker 5: Oreo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, after that podcast.
Speaker 1: If Wells Fargo just wants to start giving Steve money on a regular basis as well, we'll take that exactly. But yeah, and back on track. It doesn't this is this is this is the this is how we get beyond the dark. We go in all directions. Lucy and Jean Luke, you've been playing Mass Effect, give us a Mass Effect update. Where you guys, where you guys are at, Where are at? We'll keep it free.
Speaker 3: So I'm at the end. I'm at the end of Mass Effect one. I would have actually finished it last night. I'm at the point before the last mission. But then I noticed there was a trophy, the Completionist trophy. So I went back and mopped up a bunch of side quests to get that. Because it's really easy to platinum each game, and I literally will have to restart and do maybe an hour because I missed one code eccentry and then that's yeah, that's and it's literally and I know the exact conversation that I skipped as well. But other than that, yeah, almost the end of Aspect one and then moved on to Masfect too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm I'm in mass Effect two.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I've slowed down compared to Mass Effect one. People who listen to the last podcast, who I just blaze through Mass Effect one at lightning speed. But I've slowed down a lot with two because I think I was more interested in like seeing the changes they made to one, where two is more it's you know, it's it's the same mostly but nice quality of of uh, Like it just looks a lot cleaner this time around. Like I mean, like, you know, you don't need to change much about mass Efect two, Like that game just looks so good still, it holds up so well. I really don't have much to say about mass Efect two other than like Massfect two, it's still rips like.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Yeah, Yeah, I think Steven, you're in for a good time. You're in for an engrossing time like that is. I'm excited for you now now you know have the capability to play it as you need it, It's going to be fun. I'm like, I sadly, I am still I at the very I just reached the citydel in Mass Effect.
Speaker 3: WHOA, you've been doing a lot of streaming, and yeah.
Speaker 2: I've been.
Speaker 1: I've been doing like stuff on the side and like doing so I started playing. I'm playing it in parallel now, so I'm playing on PlayStation five for my own safe I'm playing on stream as well because I'm doing daily streams to raise money for Palestinian Relief. But that might A lot of my time has been spent playing Valerie as well, which is a game that I've become hopelessly addicted to.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, I keep tuning into your streams and it's like, oh, Tam says he's playing Massfect today, let's see what's up. And you're always playing Valerie, and I'm like, where's the mass Effect yesterday?
Speaker 1: I started? I started uh with mass Effect and and like by the time, so like my my my pros says, I play whatever Mass Effect until Andy Cortez from kind Of Bunny appears, and it's like Valerant question work.
Speaker 3: Until you get the U up test.
Speaker 1: Exactly and then we go we go to Valerie. But that game is a lot of fun. Like I've been streaming at a bunch, I'm still terrible at it, and because I'm playing with Andy, I get like just the astronomical pings, so people people like appear on my screen like three or four moon cycles before I can actually like see them, and they're killing me instantly. But I'm I'm really really enjoying it. But yeah, that's that's pretty much what I've been focused on. This is just altered.
Speaker 3: I just altered it because we should probably talk about something new that we've seen time and I got to see some Death Loop in action.
Speaker 1: We definitely did.
Speaker 3: I think we should we talk about that a little bit because it looks cool as ship. So we have an excellent preview and I did a mediocre video preview.
Speaker 1: That was a great video that it was.
Speaker 3: It was I wish I'd had more time, is what I'm saying. But like, Death Loop is looking incredible and it's still this game that like I really feel for the team at Arcane because they've made something that's quite high concept, and I feel like you can boil it down to two assassins stuck in a time loop. But the actual realities of how that game is gonna work are quite involved, like four different areas, four different times of day, the way that stuff carries over of a time loops, the way that some characters know they're in a time loop and others don't. And then there's the multiplayer, a bit where you can invade other people's games, but that's somehow woven into the single player. It's like, but it looks really cool. It looks like this incredible evolution of all the all of these Arcane properties. Like there are some stuff in there that's clearly from Dishonored, Like a lot of the powers are very similar to Dishonored. Haters will say it's an asset flip. Don't listen to them. It's like like there are some like there are some that are very very similar, but like there is some cool new powers in there, Like there's one that just lets you go invisible, which obviously would have been great and Dishonored, and then there's like a gorgeous new setting. One of my favorite things about Arcane is that they just like commit to an esthetic and it just bleeds through like gameplay weapons the way that the characters interact with each other, and that's very much the case here. It's also really really funny, and that's one thing that I don't think has been gotten across as much, is that just how funny it is. There's this one bit where you kind of walk into a party to track down one of your targets and the target is like giving a speech and he just goes, what's up, sluts? And I was like, just did not expect it, and it made me laugh so hard. But the two main characters, Culton and Juliana, have this like cat and mouse relationship and they're just kind of jabbing at each other the whole time, and it just sounds like the diology just sounds like so natural and funny. And I'm like, I thought I couldn't be more excited for death Sup, And then we got to see it.
Speaker 1: And I was like, ah, the energy, the energy that Cult and Juliana have is imagine if Cult imagine if they were in a relationship but Colt forgot their anniversary and Juliana doesn't want to say, doesn't want to say, you forgot our anniversary and instead is going to poke and jab at him to push him towards realizing that he forgot a very important day.
Speaker 4: She's going to kill him over and over.
Speaker 3: It's exactly the energy.
Speaker 1: That is the exact energy, and I was like, this, this dude is in for a rough time over the next few hours. Steve, have you have you got much interest in in death Loop or exact what you're saying?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Like Joseph Gordon Levitt was amazing in the talk about performance, like honestly top tier obviously, Oh yeah, I can't just I can't wait for that to be by the Masses. If you haven't yet checked out, Bruce willis in that movie so good. Quite Prepare very cute as well, so check out Definitely.
Speaker 1: The funny thing is all the all the movies you mentioned there were actually referenced by like the director Dinger Bakaba, and he was like, yeah, it's it's a time loop thing. So it is very much that, And we get that a lot of people are gonna make that comparison, but it feels like they're trying that. It feels like they're very much aware of the fact that one everyone's gonna go, oh, it's a time loop thing. We know exactly what that is. And two oh, it's a roguelike. You know, everyone knows exactly how that's gonna work. And they've built small things in there to kind of subvert those expectations, which is really cool. But yeah, there's a video up on YouTube dot com for Slash game Spot, and there's also a preview up on game Spot which you can check out. Yeah. I think that's everything. So we're gonna move on to our special segment for this episode, which is E three Predictions. Before we get cracking on that, we have a special announcement that we're very very proud to make. As with last year, GameSpot is bringing back Play for All for twenty twenty one. Last year, it was a six week extravaganza that tired everyone out, but we made a lot of money for extremely good causes, including Black Lives Matter and providing covid aid support for those out there on the front lines. This year, we're going to be doing a shorter one, but it's going to be as exciting. We're lining up guests and it's already looking real real call. We've come up some cool ideas for streams and panels and such, and we are incredibly proud to say that we're going to be partnering with Able Gamers for Play for All. All the money that we generate across the E three and the Play for All charity period is going to be going directly to able gamers to enable people with accessibility needs to receive you support and you know, help Steve and his team to do what they do best better than ever hopefully.
Speaker 2: So so that's why I'm here. It makes sense.
Speaker 1: We want We wanted you to be here to succinctly explain to people why you guys are all badasses. I mean, yeah, the cat the cat stuff is like it was the cat explain to people why able game is awesome. And we got the death loop stuff as an amazing side effect, so you'd love to see it. But yes, Steve, thank you so much for working with us on this. We've had a lot of support from the able gamer's side and we are, like I said, extremely proud to continue supporting the cause. And yeah, and there's there's ways that people can also raise money for able games. You have the Sporn Together initiative, right, can you tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the great part about able Gamers is everyone thinks about us as an organization that essentially just gives out controllers, but we do so much more than That's that's why we've reached the point where we have to do these funders is because we've got an entire course set up for developers to come in and learn how to design games more accessibly from the start, without interfigering with their vision or creativity or any of that mumbo jumbo that easier people yelling about negatively on the internet. It's all about making games better for everyone. We have our entire Player Panels Department, which is literally where people with disabilities can come to the website right now and be q and a testers for the game industry, where publishers come to us and say, hey, we're doing the super secret new game. Do you have people with one arm? Do you have someone who has their muscular disability? And in those situations, we have players who can then go and and test for them, and the players get to be part of the industry they love, which win win for ever. And so that's been really fantastic to have all these different initiatives. The problem is that you'll have to fund the people that are running all those initiatives. So it has been an ongoing struggle to keep up. And so able Gamers has a lot of cool initiatives and fundraising things that are coming up over the summer, including now working with y'all to bring attention to people with disabilities in gaming space. And then outside of the able Gamers' activities, I decided, well, I'm not giving enough of my lifetable gamers asterisk i am, and so I'm going to do in my own personal time. I was going to come up with this really cool idea. Right, everybody goes after the doctor Loopos and the tim the Tatman's of the industry to go get them the fundraise, Right, but there are, according to Twitch, literally hundreds of thousands of streamers out there who are out there doing good things, good content, good people. Well what if instead of reaching out to one big person, what if I put out a rallying call. And this is where I go a little bit nerdy. So I've been liking to say that it's not me who did this. What I'm doing here is I'm lighting the pyres and I'm calling for aid. I'm literally putting it out there on the Internet that able gamers needs help to keep going. So I'm lighting the piers and saying come to our aid and bring your stream in your community. And what's fawned together. What we've done is we've had hundreds and hundreds of people who have communities a couple hundred people deep, coming to the AID to do streams, to do fundraisers, to do anything cool where we chip in a couple of dollars together and slowly over time we've raised almost three quarters of a million dollars. So the goal is to hit a million by September fifteenth. So it's which is my forty first birthday. This whole thing was started from my fortieth birthday, so you know, I am essentially as old as a dinosaurs troup. But you know, since I'm an old dinosaur now, I've decided that I should use that for good and try to bring some happiness to other people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it definitely is already doing that, and it's going to make a noticeable impact on video games in the present and in the future. So you should take the opportunity while you can to get involved. And it's really easy, like it works through tilt tofy there is a campaign, kind of link special campaign that you tie yourself to, and the kind of materials to learn all about that are available on able Gamer's website. Right, So, I set up a campaign yesterday as a test, and it literally took five minutes, less than five minutes, and in five minutes you can be streaming and you can be raising money for able gamers. Obviously, game spot is going to be doing our charity effort in the hopes that we can push a decent chunk away the way towards reaching that one million. But if you're listening to this and you are a streamer or you know someone who is a streamer that could do, could you think could help with this regard, just let them know that this is something that will take five minutes of their time and it will have immeasurable effect, So please do do that. So what we're saying is first E three prediction is we're gonna help raise money and we're gonna feel good about it. So please join us then and support able gamers.
Speaker 2: Feeling good about the charity is the most selfish thing in the world you can do, because it makes you feel good about yourself.
Speaker 1: There you go love to hear it. Let's talk about other video game predictions for E three. We've got a list here and it basically says, what can we reasonably expect? And I'm just gonna say reasonably expect. Let's not make this boring, let's care, let's get let's let's get the reasonable stuff out of the way.
Speaker 4: Are you dissing my my copy my what I wrote down?
Speaker 1: No, what I'm saying is like, let's get the reasonable stuff out of the way, so then we can we can get to the stuff that's like, this is kooky behavior that you're talking about here. Sure, So we've got a list here. We've got Halo Infinite that's a big one, almost a dead sert, right, it's gotta be Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean twentieth twenty three of Halo, twenty three of Xbox. We know there's going to be an Xbox Bethesda showcase.
Speaker 1: Easy Chop Up so and their games out this year. Isn't it is that this year alleged summer?
Speaker 3: Isn't it summer? I don't think they're going to push it again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My question is there is a joint Bethesda and Microsoft con conference.
Speaker 3: Into the Starfield discord no, no, no.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying is there's a joint conference happening between Bethesda and Microsoft. What bethes the character appears as a a downloadable skin in Halo Infinite?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Or is it Todd Howard? Everyone gets to submit one Stephen, who is your submission for a Beth as the character in Halo as a new master Chief skin?
Speaker 2: Oh man, you know, I don't know. I kind of want to download to more as a skin. Tam would would you would you be skin Halo? I would?
Speaker 1: So there's there in the original trailer there's master Chief on that I think he's in a Pelicano. He's on some sort of ship, and there's his pilot who is very upset about everything, who is basically a face swap of me, exactly like me. Like I saw it and I was like, that looks like me. And then I got like seven messages being like are you in Halo?
Speaker 2: And I was like, if it can't be, then it's gonna be dog meat. We gotta gotta dog meat has to make an appearance.
Speaker 1: That would be incredible, like like holographic dog meat. Cortana is gone, but it's just dog meat now. But he just appears, and every time Chief asks him a question is box.
Speaker 2: And then leaves a very dramatic feel emotion.
Speaker 1: Lucy, who's your pick? Todd Howard, Todd Howard, Okay.
Speaker 4: I mean actually it's.
Speaker 3: I mean, if they did do some kind of crossover, might be Colton Juliana because Death Loop is out this year. But no, my heart, my heart is Todd.
Speaker 4: So Todd Howard, but not in the way you think. It's not like you know, Master Chief takes his homet off and it's Todd Howard. It's uh, Todd Howard in his like Premiere E three jacket, his his his drink, but with a Master.
Speaker 3: Chief which we have the article. We know where he got that jacket.
Speaker 2: Way different than you're you're for those of you who are not watching but listening, you just John just made this like jumping out of an airplane and to Howard Banner.
Speaker 1: So it's it's Todd Howard, but he's a kind of like kill Streak, but it's like a orbitope board but every missiles Todd Howard just slamming into the ground.
Speaker 4: And then and then the Halo announcer guy goes, God, Howard, Yeah, I thought.
Speaker 3: You were gonna say, like the bombardment, but there was just copies of Skyrim. No, absolutely bodied by copies of Skyrim.
Speaker 1: All right, let's carry on through these reasonably expect games. Suicide Squad and Gotham Knights.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think Gotham Knights, yes, Suicide Squad. Suicide Squad the movie out.
Speaker 1: This year, I don't think so it could be I can't remember. I think you're right.
Speaker 3: If the movies out, then maybe, But also don't forget the DC fandoms coming back, which is where they showed off this last year. If I'm right, and so, maybe they'll kind of like tease it, tease it.
Speaker 1: I want to be is now owned by Discovery.
Speaker 3: I can't keep track anymore because I know that the didn't didn't they break the studios up a little bit as well?
Speaker 1: I cannot tell you. It is so confusing, But I don't think it's going to have a major impact on the way they show off games. But yeah, I think you're right. Gotham Knights is the one that they will probably show off the most, which honestly, I'm good with like show me. I like it when when there's a focus in a press conference. I don't know about you folks, But like when it's here's our press conference, it's got thirty games in it, I'm like, please you want.
Speaker 3: To I mean, I think you want to give them kind of a bit more time to shine, especially when we've already seen gameplay of Gotham Knights, like we got quite a meaty look at it last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So unless they're going to do that same thing with Suicide Squad, which I would also be down for because that game, like we only just saw a sort of pre rendered trailer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a bit a game clip. That would be good. Final Fantasy sixteen.
Speaker 3: I don't think we were because wasn't it on Sony's thing last year? Like Sony's June July press conference? Right?
Speaker 4: Is that five?
Speaker 2: Only?
Speaker 4: I think it is?
Speaker 1: It might be, Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. I think it was shown on shown and announced as a PS five thing, But I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up some other places because.
Speaker 3: We're like doing their own at all.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like the last few, your final fantasies have all been multiplat So wait seven wasn't there? Seven? Was seven? Wasn't that? The other ones before that have been so I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up in some regard there. I think Seven's locked. Seven is the one that Sony or like never you will never go anywhere else. This belongs to us.
Speaker 2: We made you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like like the Deal with the Devil, but for like you know, one day I will come for you. Like that's how it is, and it's always that like Sony owns own stuff. I Fantasy seven brand into a degree. But I'm excited to see that game, especially given the team working on it being and the folks behind it being the team you know, I want to be. I want to be. I want to be in a world where Michael Hyam cries NonStop about the game he's playing, and that is seemingly what Final Fantasy seventeen sixteen is going to be. Also, I don't know about you, but I think it's time to hit reset on the numbers on the Final Fantasy because we're at sixteen now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go to that weird like Xbox way of doing it. Let's just change it to a numeral this year. Let's make it like you know, Final Fantasy x X E LC and then like the year that will make it Xbox Square and then we'll just make it like it's a color. It's just final.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean they do that, Yeah, they kind of do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think like they should be borrow growing from like the the MMO. It's like Final Fantasy end Walker and you're like, okay, yeah, I can get back in there. Yeah yeah, fun Fantasy, a realm reborn. Fair enough, we've got a We've got one hair, which is dragon Age for and then next do it is in all caps, please buy away. I think I can guess who wrote that.
Speaker 3: Surprisingly not me, because because I need I need that Dragonage for like I need.
Speaker 4: You know, Buyer's got a lot of good, good momentum right now with the Legendary Edition, but you know those are those are still old games. I need new Buyer where I need I need. I need them to show that they still got the magic. And I'm I think there's a lot riding on on dragon Age for Also, I just I personally I love dragon Age so much like Origins is one of my favorite games of all time, and I really love too like a defend of two one of those people. And then I also quite like Inquisitions, So I just I need to see I need to see that game, because because buyer loves to announce games years in advance and never show it, and they've been they've been teasing four for a while, so it's time it's time to show that game off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they've been they've been holding stuff a lot for the Kilies at the end of the year. So maybe I don't know, maybe this time they'll be like, Okay, we're riding off the high of Legendary Edition. It's time let's get this out there. So I'm down. I'd be excited to see Dragon.
Speaker 2: Age at this point.
Speaker 1: See, this is what we are going in with. They are going to absolutely debate us with a new like Star Wars expansion.
Speaker 4: For They're going to bring it back public.
Speaker 2: We're brought back. Let's go. We're still going battle Front Shield. Here we go, Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 1: So those are what we can reasonably expect. There's a bunch of other games that we can reasonably expect because you know, people are already announcing their presence there and you can look at the release late. Now this is the fun part. I want the wild predictions. Everyone gets one wild prediction slot and I'm going to start. Obviously, I doubt you can even imagine it being there. But I do it every night, every day. I know what you're gonna say, it's elder ring. Baby.
Speaker 3: I was like, what are you doing every night? And a few day weird.
Speaker 1: Phrasing thinking about elder ring. That's there's nothing wrong with that. What do you guys think? I mean, I am naked when I'm doing it, but you know, I mean.
Speaker 4: At this point, it's like they have to. They have to show it. I guess they don't, but they kind of have to.
Speaker 1: My hope, my hope is that they show it. If you ask me whether I think it will happen, absolutely not, Like no charge. I feel like that leak happened, and then everyone in that studio went, well, fuck these guys. We're not going to show them anything.
Speaker 3: To go back to ground.
Speaker 1: We're just gonna goodbye forever. I feel like Miyazakia was like, you've hurt me personally and now you will all pay. You will not hear about old and Ring until the day is delivered to your door. So that's my that's my prediction. Jean Luke wa'ts your one wild prediction for e three.
Speaker 4: Wild prediction, Give me more time.
Speaker 3: Beyond Good and Evil Too back from the Dead. I mean, it never officially died, but I don't I don't know what that game is.
Speaker 4: But we finally understand.
Speaker 3: Understand what Beyond Good and Evil Too is, and like what do you call them?
Speaker 1: Joseph Gordon Leavitt just standing next to it and being like, I'm working on this too.
Speaker 3: Well, that was the thing is that he was asking people for to put stuff in with hit record, But I didn't understand what sort of like if there would be revshare or if there would be any kind of like monetary compensation for people doing that. I mean, I guess like there's not in stuff like dreams. Maybe they'll have taken the Dreams approach to how I just but also I just don't understand how that game is a Beyond Good and Evil game because the original Beyond Good and Evil is about taking pictures and occasionally hitting someone with a stick. Like, I don't understand what the I don't know that that's my prediction.
Speaker 1: The interesting thing will be like Ubisoft had a recent statement where they put out there were moving towards free to play long term video game model, which I imagine is going to apply to any game that is currently in development, and oh boy, Beyond Good and Evil too looks like it could very easily be turned into a free to play open world MMO type game.
Speaker 3: But like Beyond Good and Evil as a as a name is not a household name. It's not a Tom Clancy Like, I don't understand if they were to do that with something like Beyond God doesn't have the brand awareness to push through. I don't think to put my biz hat on for a sec. But yeah, unfortunately I could see that with what they've sort of showed off with it a little bit.
Speaker 1: Steven, what's your what's your wild pick?
Speaker 2: It's going to be Witcher computer builder simulator, and it's just going to be in the top Witcher outfit, just building computers and you're going to get the control of all and it's going to be it's gonna be a great game to build, learn computer building and you know, quench thirst.
Speaker 5: I'm genuinely into this, like this is a great idea, Like why has no one because there is that game where you can build computers, right build? Why have they not just hit up Henry Carville. I've been like, give us your arms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be all digital exclusive. They're gonna put it out in all platforms. It's gonna have a PlayStation skin exclusive where it's it's just gonna be him, just with the wild eyes and the white hair, but topless.
Speaker 1: For some reason, you've made such a compelling case that I'm moving it from all predictions to what we can reasonably expect. I love that. I would play that, Jean Lick, what's your wild prediction? Okay, So I think you turn to your screen as if you've been typing for the last ten minutes and you've got like an essay ready, No, no, I will.
Speaker 4: I've been furiously thinking. I think I think Microsoft's got to go real bold this year, you know, like I think they need to. They need to really throw something out there. So I think I think they should bring back They need to bring back Steel Battalion. Oh my guess Steel Battalion.
Speaker 1: Oh with the controller, without the control, with.
Speaker 4: The controller undred Okay, that's that's where they're gone.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Like I honestly, I I I legitimately just like do think like I need Microsoft to just like completely surprise me with with something like.
Speaker 1: I acquiring Capcom.
Speaker 4: That would be insane, I don't I don't think Sony would would let them at this point. You know Sony, Sony is so invested in like Resident Evil and like street Fighter, they wouldn't let They wouldn't let it happen.
Speaker 1: No, I think it would be.
Speaker 3: It would be bands, though, wouldn't it.
Speaker 1: It would be It would be It would be like O Mega bands if they came in and were like, we're buying Capcom and Tony's like, but but these these are.
Speaker 3: Wait wasn't there Who wasn't there? Like rumors a while ago that someone was gonna buy Square Nix and just these like cyclical conversations of rumors and stuff.
Speaker 1: There's always rumors about. Like you could probably start a rumor saying abele gamers is gonna acquire from some for and people would be like down any interest in acquiring from software or any If you could acquire any developer, what would you acquire?
Speaker 2: I would immediately acquire from software and it would be nothing but easy mode secure. Yes, I would be literally waiting for a few Do you add hard mode? No, that's not the intentive the original developers.
Speaker 1: As someone who is who has played a lot of Sakero and is somewhat known for playing from Software Games. I would be very happy to offer my services as a brand ambassador for that move.
Speaker 2: Ah, you're.
Speaker 1: I would stand there and be like, I approved this, I can't wait. Awesome. So there we have it. Those are our predictions for E three. I think it's going to be an exciting you what you're kind of like, are you excited about E three? And do you reckon it's going to be as hype as it has been previous Lucy.
Speaker 3: I'm always excited about E three, but I still feel like it's going to be a bit of a weird one because I think the impact of last year is really going to be properly felt this year, and so I wonder if you know, this isn't the E three that everyone had planned on released and announce wise, I think we're still going to be suffering for a good few months. But I think there's always reason to be excited, and I think there will still be surprises in people just getting hype about upcoming stuff. So I'm always excited, but I think we're not going to see E three return to form until next year. And it's not it's not because it's you know, digital and we're not in person it's because just pandemic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's interesting, Lucy said, like, won't return to form till next year, Steve, do you reckon? They're like this, do you see this year as like a make up break moment for E three and the ESA or do you where like if it doesn't really pop off this year, people might really start reconsidering their involvement or do you reckon? They've got like one or two more attempts at this.
Speaker 2: I think that the shows in general E threes and in particular, but also things like PEX, they really had to figure out where they're going to go in the post pandemic world. I think we learned last year that everything went along just fine without these shows. They're a great consumer place, a great place to go hang out with other gamers, But as far as like announcing things and hanging out like, you can do that just as well through marketing online. And I think again, things like the Game Awards just continue to dominate our space. And when you have something that magnetic, you know, why would you put your game at E three when you can hold it for something that's going to get thirty two forty two. I forget the numbers on the last Game Awards, like, you know, seventy eight gazillion people watching, you know, why would you not just wait for that exactly.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. I think one of the important things for us on our side is what I'm joining seeing is people realizing that E three can be more than just we're covering games and taking the kind of energy and the excitement around it and refocusing it into something that's fun for us as people that love video games, but also perhaps it is given back to the community and useful, and you know we talked about at the top of this segment, but that's primarily why we do play for all. We love the idea. You know, game spots, traffic just shoots through the roof during the E three period, whether that's videos or editorial, social more eyes on us than any other time in the year, and so we want to take that kind of focus and put it into a good space. And this year that's going to be to able gamers. So we're going to be raising money for them. Make sure you come, make sure you hang out, and we'll make it a good E three even if the announcements aren't as exciting. Jean Luke as newly crowned Mayestro Maestro of live streams. How excited are you to start putting all this stuff together and control these live streams from home?
Speaker 4: It's gonna be really exciting this year because I'm I love doing behind the scenes live stream stuff like that. That to me is like when it all comes together and everyone's just like, we're all fire, non cylinders. You guys are doing your thing on the hosting side. You know, we're bringing in great guests. Everyone's just like it's this big old team effort and that's I It's a lot of work, but I love it. It's like there's there's nothing else like it, So I'm very excited actually to do it.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 4: It is gonna be a lot of work, though, well.
Speaker 1: I have faith in you, so it's gonna be exciting. I think we've heard enough from us. I think it's time to hear from our listeners. So let's kick it over to the listener questions. Okay, if you'd like to send in a listener question, you can send an email to after Dark Podcast at readventures dot com, or you can put it in the discord. Where there is a lovely community of people and there's a specific section for after dark questions. If you want to get into the discord, you can hit up myself, Sean Luke or Lucy on Twitter and dm us let us know you want in. We will check your Twitter to make sure that you're not a weirdo. You're not saying horrible shit on the Internet. Only good people allowed in our discord. The first we've got two questions here that could come from just a Box and Rocket Scientists that we're going to combine into one because it makes sense that way. Jean Luke, can you read the questions please?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: So just Box said, Hey, after Darkers, I was wondering what your favorite quality of life features and games are. One that's become common and I really like is the ability to adjust the difficulty in a game part way through, even if I don't end up using it. It's reassuring to note that I can adjust to deal with games that are easier or more challenging than I expected. Are there any now common quality of life features that you particularly like? Are there any features that you would like to see implemented more often? And then going off of that, another question from well this name.
Speaker 1: Ex Scientists, Rocket Scientists.
Speaker 4: Okay, I would have not picked up on that. My eyes are not capable of understanding how to convert fives to U s's. I got some more time on touch then, but they asked Ola creatures of the Night. I got a bit of a psychic question for you, find folk. Let us imagine you are a game developer, but ten years in the future from this exact moment, what game are you building and what quality of life improvements have you put in that are not currently widely available? Slash used love all that you do, keep up the great work. So basically, what do we like that's currently in games that is nice quality of life? And then if we were to make our own game in the future, what would we want to add that's a good caller life feature.
Speaker 1: I feel like, Steve, you've got this one locked and loaded, so we're going to go to you. We've got the expert hit us blow minds, you know, so I can.
Speaker 2: Answer the future best by telling you a story from the past. So the very first packs East we gave Star Wars Link to the Old Republic, the online version an award from AIMS the Accessible Game of the Year, and I made sort of a frind of me that day because We had the lead production director on for the game on this panel f X, and when we went to give them the award in public, he kind of rebuffed it and said, you know, there's no real need to call this accessible. It's you know, it was just a game that we we tried to design that everybody could play. And you know, these these things that you're talking about, like the ability to loot one body loots all the ones around you, they're just quality of life improvements. And when he said that, I immediately jumped back and was like, well, but the thing is golden game design is accessible game design. So something that may be a quality of life improvement for one gamer is the thing that enables another gamer to play at all. And when I phrased it that way, number one pissed him off. Number two because I kind of proved them wrong in public, and two, you know, he ended up sort of backpeddling into bankage. Oh well, we appreciate the award, And that was one of those situations where you know, you learn that just because something doesn't seem necessary for you could be absolutely critical for someone else. So these these things, they are quality of life improvements, are always hard for me. Because they could be accessibility features, but I just called them good game design. Right. If you design your game properly, you want the most amount of people possible to come play your game, right, so you want to include as many people as you can. You can look at that from a customer perspective like we want money, whoa bunny's good? Or you could just be like, I want my vision for a game to be out there for everybody to enjoy. No matter which side of the coin you look at it, these improvements are how you get more gamers into your game in the first place. And you know, in ten years, I think we're going to see that it's a lot different than the landscape we currently have. I think by then, AR or augmented reality will be much more commonplace, and I think it will be into the games industry more than we currently anticipate. I think that VR will also look very differently. I think there are a lot of things out there where right now. In order to enjoy virtual reality, you have to be able to put a helmet on your head and be able to hold two lightsabers in your hands. Well, that's not pubs for a lot of people. For a number of reasons you only have one arm that works perfectly, your dexterity, your strength, your stamina maybe in question. Maybe you can't turn your head, maybe you need to use a wheelchair. Maybe it makes you sick, maybe you have glasses. There are tons of things that limit potential. I think we're going to find a way to do away with the helmet altogether. I think we're going to find more holi deck kind of ways where we can just interact and computers are going to be able to read our movements so that we don't have to have peripherals, and that is going to enable more people to play. So I think, you know a lot of the early arguments against virtual reality where nobody wants to stand up and play, They want to sit on a couch and enjoy with their friends. And the evidence with this is that the connect ultimately failed. Right in the end, people didn't want to stand up and pet the cute tiger on the screen although it was cute. You know, you can only do that for so long. You wanted to stay on your couch and they didn't let you do that. So I think that's really where we're going to see it going is technology is going to look different, and you can. It's moving that way to be not only more accessible to disable people, but it's going to be more quality of life for everyone.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that's that's a perfect answer. So I don't really know what to say. I think the one the one thing I was going to add is like I hope that I hope that it becomes easier for people who are thinking about accessibility to communicate with people who are, you know, making these games. And obviously it would be fantastic to have people who have accessibility in mind, specifically on these teams, Like I was. The one thing I thought about earlier was like, I don't know what you're playing Mass Effect on? Is it PC?
Speaker 2: PC? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And that's something I thought of, like the fact that you're in a position now where you can play Mass Effect, but you had to do it by hacking it. The only reason you could do that is because you're on the PC version of the game, And if it was you decided you wanted to play the console version, you are out of luck. There's many people out there who don't have constant you don't have a PC gaming piece see and maybe interested in playing the Mass Effect games in the same way that Steve was, but it won't be able to because they can't hack a console to do that. So in light of that, gaming companies and developers need to make sure that accessibility is a key area of focus for them, because it shouldn't be that people need to go out of their way to spend time together and spend hours and hours hacking something together. So that's where I'd like it to go, and you know, trying to build off the energies that Steve has and keep the optimism going. I hope that that will happen, and I think it's important to recognize that, you know, organizations like Able Gamers and Steve are the reason why it's going to happen. So let's try and support that as much as we can, which we're planning to do at Play for All. But yeah, that's that's what That's what I have to say about it. Lucy, you don't look anything Dad.
Speaker 3: I mean, just to kind of echo the two of you have said, it's been really cool over the past few years see these quote unquote quality of life but also just accessibility changes in games, and it's weird now, Like I am.
Speaker 2: Glad that.
Speaker 3: It's obviously not like perfect, but like such inroads have been made, but it's weird, like playing a game like The Last of Us Part two, which has such great accessibility options, and then going back to a game like Resident Evil eight which is not that accessible, Like I struggle a lot with motion sickness and being unable to like play around with those settings and stuff, and like I can, I can like brute force my way through that game, but I recognize that that as my I'm privileged in that way.
Speaker 1: I can.
Speaker 3: I can do that, and so folks who can't, And like, it's not just things that you know, we like gaming as a whole should be quiet on. We should all be kind of pushing for this change because ultimately, like you said, it's like you solve a few, but then you expand to many. Like we talked to Rod Ferguson and at the Coalition, they had all this accessibility training and they it's something that they're focusing on quite heavily. Within Microsoft. Obviously they have the the controller, the adaptive controller, and it's cool to see in ways that like develop a lot of developers are actively thinking about that stuff. And so I hope that that just continues and that we keep getting more because like it's it's Microsoft's slogan that they came up with, but it's like we when we all play, we will win. And like, I know that's a huge part of able gamers is that, like gaming is such an incredible avenue for things, like you know, most of the friends I have as an adult, I've made through games in one way or another.
Speaker 2: And it's like.
Speaker 3: I don't want that for everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, And so I think that's the that's the thing that we as gamers. Everyone listening, particularly those of you who have an audience of one person or one hundred thousand million, like you need to keep saying what Lucy just said, because the power that able gamers fields, and the reason that advocates out there have been as successful and diable gamers has been able to get as much traction in the last five years, more than triple what we got in the first ten years. Was that we finally got gamers to get behind us and say, yeah, gaming is important.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: We learned in twenty twenty that social isolation is devastating. There is no one on the planet who didn't feel lonely during the year twenty twenty and that is something that people with disabilities deal with a lot. It's something that I've dealt with a lot. It's something I've counseled thousands of gamers with disabilities over the years through able gamers on dealing with and video games helped eliminate that. And why wouldn't we want everyone to do that? So let's you know, I beg all the people who love Sakaro out there. You know, this isn't a war. We're all on the same side. Dude, These arguments get a bad rep now, journalists a lot easy money. Yeah, Like it's it's a thing that we don't need to argue over. Let's just agree that we should all be able to play and that will be a good thing, and we can figure out how that works later. But right now, let's just get everybody in and then we can start the conversation about how we should play.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Yeah, surely.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, like, a big thing I think that games should go in a direction is is not just not just accessibility in terms of like controls and functionality, but also like customizability in the actual way the game plays itself. Like I I'm a big fan of games that don't just have a binary difficulty list but actually let you tweak settings. So like I think one of the best examples is the Dishonored games too and Death of the Outsider, you can make a custom difficulty where you can tweak like enemy like you know, visibility in terms of stealth, you can tweak weapon damage, you can tweak your health like it. It lets you basically create your own custom difficulty that suits your taste in what you're looking for, and that goes both ways, where it's like, you know, people who maybe need something you know, want a more relaxed play through, or people who want like this insane like you know, Dark Souls level, like the people who just you know, scream about I want this to be as hard as possible. You can do that too, And like I think games that I think the future is like games that just allow for you to customize your experience to this degree. Because you know, like we're saying, like we're on the same side, everyone wins, Like why why wouldn't you want a game where you can you can make it exactly how you want to play it, Like that's that's a win win for everyone.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: You have it.
Speaker 1: We have spoken. Steve, thank you so much for joining us and lending us your perspective and your expertise and incredible idea for a Henry Cavill PC building game, which I will not forget in any rush. Where can people find you online? If they want?
Speaker 2: You can find able Gamers literally everywhere under the able Gamers banner. We probably on things you haven't even invented yet, and you can find me under Steven spawn Spohn on Twitter, on Twitch it's the phonetics founding Spawn. And for those of are out there who may be interested from earlier when we talked about raising funds for aable Gamers If you want to help disabled people be able to enjoy the games we just talked about and we love, then look up hashtag spawn together, come in, give your five dollars, get your community to raise twenty dollars together, one starfish at a time. We can help the entire world to be a more accessible place.
Speaker 1: And as we said earlier, it's really easy to do. Jean Luke, who likes cat pause, where can people find you?
Speaker 4: You can find me a John mcste I don't really have anything personal I want to pimp, but I do want to quickly shout out the podfather. Jake Decker and former games editor Matt Pagett started a new podcast that is available today as of the time this episode goes up. It's called The Nuclear Fridge and it's a variety show where they talk about a bunch of things, uh, video games included. So yeah, like you should You know people who've listened to this podcast who love Jake, you have a way to listen to him now, So I highly recommend go and check that out. But you always listen to us first, Yes, all I ask.
Speaker 3: That's that's those the rules if.
Speaker 1: They get a four point sponsorship before we do. I'm going to Lucy who had a cat called Kick Kick the Cat, just got it, Kick the Cat.
Speaker 3: He was named after the Inexcess album.
Speaker 1: Where Can People Find You?
Speaker 3: I'm on Lucy James Games did the Death Sleep thing and then.
Speaker 1: Chilling Chilling excellent follow Lucy, Yeah do it. You'll find me on twit to more h I'm also streaming for charity on currently, I'm streaming for Medical Aid for Palestine, Twitch dot tv for slash tom h. Outside of that, when I'm not doing that, all my subs and bits are raising money for able gamers, so please do come check out if you can, and we will see you next week. Goodbye everyone, right, I love I love bits