Speaker 1: Hey everybody, It's Tuesday, December ninth, twenty twenty five. Welcome to the Giant BombCast, Episode nine hundred and twenty. Holy smokes. I am your host jan Oh Show, adjoining me co captain of the ship Jeff Grub.
Speaker 2: I think I'm going to become a Long John's guy because it's one of those things where no one needs to know because it'll always be under my clothes.
Speaker 3: Is that pants or is that a whole deal?
Speaker 1: That's the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Well right now the Long jonesan worrying are just the shirt. But that's what I'm saying is I think I'm going to commit and do the full deal. I don't know if it needs to be a onesie and I'll do it. I'm not against it, but I just like the idea because it's hard to like be like, oh, I'm going to be a hat guy now or something like it's an outward appearance. You have to commit to it, like oh, I'm going to start wearing an eye patch, but Long John's those are it's my own private areas no one needs to know, and I could still feel pretty.
Speaker 1: Good about you.
Speaker 3: You go in butt flap style.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not again, not against it. I like, I don't.
Speaker 2: I gotta say, I've never seen the butt flap Onesie Long John Isle at Walmart. Uh So, i don't know how to procure these things, but I'm gonna try.
Speaker 1: He is the human you know, merch master, Mitch, get me some. He is the human embodiment of the butt flap because he is easy to access. Who is it gonna be? Who's it gonna be? Dann record?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm a I'm approachable if you're easy to access. If you see me out there and you come say hi, I'm an approachable, friendly man, but not like my butt.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no no no, I mean like how you phrased it exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've talked a butt flap to easy to enter, and it's like, I just don't.
Speaker 4: A lot of gas comes out of there.
Speaker 1: You know that's true. That's true, that's true. Speaking about gas. He uh I sometimes I imagine him in a hot air balloon because he is so dang tall. Turbo Sean Sean McDowell.
Speaker 4: You know, when Grub said I'm becoming a Long John guy, I thought he meant the donuts and like a respected.
Speaker 2: Oh I could do that too. I'm not like I ttically had my long John donut period for sure?
Speaker 1: Is that a log or.
Speaker 4: Likes the long one with no cream filling, just like you know, chocolate icing on top or whatever. Yeah, I'm a Boston cream guy personally.
Speaker 1: Speaking about cream. He's full of it because he's a little Canoli.
Speaker 5: Oh man, I'm the Italian faking person now.
Speaker 1: I guess what's up?
Speaker 4: Jen?
Speaker 1: How you doing? But I'm doing great. I grubs that hat guy, and that was an easy segue to get to you. But I just went for the butt flap. Sure, cream butt flap whatever. Whatever you need, Bud, and he is everything that I need. And yesterday was Shawn's birthday, and yesterday was Dan Reikert's birthday, and yesterday was also my birthday, and I guess it was also three oh six pm. Mike Manatti the Bad Games media.
Speaker 6: Hi, everybody, Oh, come on, that birthday is yesterday.
Speaker 1: We still don't have to talk about that thing.
Speaker 6: Be ridiculous birth month though, Yeah, yeah, it's our collective birthday month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll be a saying. The moment has passed going on on, He's on his birthday button, Mike, I didn't know you get free desserts because I swear I've worn that button before on my shoot birthday at Disneyland, and no one did anything for Disney World. They're much nicer to you. Disneyland. They don't care. That's true, That's true.
Speaker 3: Sorry, West Coast, is there universally like Disney fans? Do they look at World or Land like almost universally as better? Or is there like computer exactions, there's like a little.
Speaker 6: Top for and there's different like you know, a lot of it is just kind of geographic.
Speaker 1: West Coast people tie like Disneyland more.
Speaker 2: If someone comes up to you and says, I have a family going to Disney, which one should I go to?
Speaker 1: There's a clear answer.
Speaker 6: Right, even for me though it's usually like, well, how long you looking to go? You can go for a couple of days, go to Disneyland. You want to do a week vacation somewhere, go to disney World. Geographically, right, it matters geographic matter more. Yeah, sure of course, although you know, plane rides are plane rides in a certain degree anymore.
Speaker 1: Before we get on with the show, Chef Grubb, I'd like to hear from you how folks at home can support us over here at giant bomb dot com.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna start with the way people have been supporting us. We have a lot of people out there who have our becks because we're independent games media. We're out here on our own, corporate backers, nothing like that. We just have you all who have gone to giant bomb dot com slash join and became premium members and are supporting us and ensuring that we can continue doing what we want to do over here.
Speaker 1: It's it's you know, it's already a party. It's just gonna get better.
Speaker 2: The website is up and running and more features are getting turned on every day. All the thanks in the world to Chuck. You should show your support to Chuck by going to giant bomb dot com slash join and say, hey, the website's you know, real, Now, let's go ahead and make this our home base on the internet and support it while we're doing that. And once again, thank you to everybody who has done that.
Speaker 1: Speaking about the website, the website is no longer frozen because Chuck has made us a goddang brand new it's fully functioning website. It's beautiful. I love it again. I'm speaking from mine and Shan's perspective so much easier to use.
Speaker 4: It works, dude, it actually works.
Speaker 3: I cannot from two thousand and eight anymore, you know.
Speaker 1: And then like we can upload an MP three file and it's just there and we don't have to do some weird duck tape jazz anymore.
Speaker 4: Oh, people don't even know jam. That was just the nightmare for the past two years.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. And then video is not really working, and then you hit published, and then something goes to the wrong feed, and then you gotta jump through several hoops. But speaking about the website, I got a couple of notes from Chuck here. If you have opted into keeping your account, you can request a password reset now on giant bomb dot com for folks that have been having trouble logging onto the website. That is what you can do right now. We are looking for any help towards the wiki. If you go to BombCast dot com slash wiki you can help Chuck. If you joined the giant Bomb discord, there is a wiki street Team channel to lend some assistance, specifically some PHP and JavaScript jazz. All I know about JavaScript is that Minecraft runs it. I don't know if that's true features are all work in progress, still got lists on the way. Blogs, reviews are all saved, but it'll take a little bit of time because it is pretty much just Chuck to wing it and your pre your patience is definitely uh pre she hated uh. We love you, and we especially love Chuck. Everyone should fuck with Chuck, but not in like a negative way, just like a Fox with you dog type of way. And you know who else I fox with gang focks with main Gear, main gear dot com slash giine bomb. Go buy yourself a PC. Go buy yourself a face plate. Don't buy Mike though, No buy everyone else. It's cool.
Speaker 3: Why would you want to do?
Speaker 6: That's face mountain on it and your dog the pain in the words.
Speaker 2: It's cool now plain Milk's fine.
Speaker 1: My face is on the side plate.
Speaker 6: You would be getting that just by delightful dog writing stitches car. I like your dog, thank you. I like she went to the north pole while I was gone. They okay, never mind. The boarding place was like the boarding place is always like trying to up charge you. They always text, like today's Starbucks day. You want to get your dog a Starbucks cup? Like, oh, Starbucks cop is made of milk bones or something for fifteen dollars. It's always something like that. But they're like they're they're They're like, oh you want to it's picture days.
Speaker 1: Your dog want to go to the North Pole?
Speaker 6: And I was like, she did almost die the other week, and I'm like, maybe I should get a picture of her, right, So yeah, she did.
Speaker 1: She did go to the North Pole and that was pretty cute.
Speaker 3: Mike, do you consider yourself an easy upsell? Because like, I did go to a rainforest cafe with you once and it was it wasn't like a big it was just like Adam Mall in Minnesota and somebody came around like do you want to buy a photo? And You're like, yes, I do, and you bought a phototo.
Speaker 1: Every penny.
Speaker 6: Literally, no, wait a second, now, Dan, that is a treasured memory and you have that picture.
Speaker 1: It is up there.
Speaker 3: I've got like four photos framed up there in the day. I've got me Jan and Cody Rhodes. I have me and Mike at a rainforest cafe, not that rainforest cafe, every.
Speaker 1: The infamous one. Sure I got it.
Speaker 6: I don't think I'm an easy up charge person. It's just only when it's funny.
Speaker 1: I am okay for sure that I just get stuff, especially if it's like photos and memories.
Speaker 2: It's like, uh that that's always the easy one because it's like I will always get.
Speaker 1: A hit of dopamine looking back on stuff. See, but I don't like when they will approach your table and take the photo and then comes to you afterwards, like, oh that for cafe already we are.
Speaker 3: They said that thirty rock right after a grub pooped.
Speaker 2: Yes, the guy they gotta set the booka to Beppo right when we were hanging out.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, but literally.
Speaker 1: Only took a picture of Dan and I for two other people at the table.
Speaker 6: I definitely got got at the Donkey Kong Ride photo thing because there's like a picture of me and my girlfriend on the Dunk Kunk Ride.
Speaker 1: Is a cute photo and it's.
Speaker 3: Like great, yeah, but it's like it'll be twenty five dollars for this jpeg for me.
Speaker 1: I'm like for crying out loud.
Speaker 5: So Mike, you take your dog till like a like a hotel kind of joint.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, by my awful family won't do it.
Speaker 3: So one hundred family members and like a six block radius of you.
Speaker 1: I don't know. They're in chat. They can ask them why they're friends. So one of your brothers will like collude with Dan to hide an outfit and a game, but they will not watch Penny. They don't want to watch Penny while I'm gone.
Speaker 6: Now, Penny maybe has accidents sometimes could sometimes be.
Speaker 1: A little loud, So maybe that is a part of the occasional slur. I get it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, right, yeah, from her, from her, that's right, Dan, I had.
Speaker 2: I wanted to yell at you, maybe persuade you.
Speaker 6: I think you've been painting me lightly, and I think in my mind you believe that I am classified as a very online person.
Speaker 3: You even tried to work it into your Metroid Prime four review. I did take it out at Chan's request. Yes, yeah, I do think you're the most online person I know, silently nodding his head.
Speaker 1: Right now, Okay, let's be gaud of us. It is back of art, but Beckler is quiet about it. Beckler had a whole show about being very but like back of art, what's the latest with Hasan? Yeah, I mean, I know, like twitch drama stuff and ship like.
Speaker 3: Guys, Come on, you're like that, Mike knows every stupid gaming industry drama, everything in.
Speaker 1: The industry, I know, but you don't have to.
Speaker 3: Like the thing is you know every stupid Like I'm pretty my frame of reference is always like the puddle Gate thing and Spider Man, like just dumb fucking thing that we're.
Speaker 1: Gonna about it.
Speaker 5: Well, I do think that Grub and I are mostly quiet about it. I do think you and I Jeff like kind of know what's up, like what's going on?
Speaker 1: That is correct.
Speaker 2: I think I'm very online and I also don't enjoy talking about it with people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, way, sort of like for me.
Speaker 3: If you have a TikTok now, TikTok okay, same, So maybe you're not the most.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to talk this out from this app. I'm the most. I have.
Speaker 2: That much, but I do have okay, Okay, so I don't log into TikTok maybe once every two weeks now.
Speaker 1: I only got on Instagram recently. Okay.
Speaker 2: I got on Instagram at Dan's request, and.
Speaker 4: Like I do like Instagram too busy checking the YouTube comments of video you were in every five minutes.
Speaker 1: You don't have related yeah I would.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, we don't have to talk about that out that, But yeah, I think you know, I think everyone finds there the place that they want to be, right. I think I would say, save for Dan, who is I would say chronically offline, like Dan, you like, uh like keep up.
Speaker 2: More with politics than I think people would expect, Like you watch it comprises.
Speaker 3: Me to hear because I don't know a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you always more than I expect. You know, you know, you grew up in headlines from somewhere. Yeah, you you bring him in the conversations more than I would you do.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. It's a lot, and it's not a problem.
Speaker 1: I know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I'm saying like I'm always surprised, like okay, yeah, Dan is on top of this. He knows the basic facts of the story and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: It's perspective like you don't expect the dude who doesn't know when egg white is to know like what's happening, you know, with Congress and everything.
Speaker 1: And it's not just that.
Speaker 2: To me, Dan strikes me as someone who doesn't care. But then it's like I think you just can't help.
Speaker 1: But like in this information, for whatever reason, I do follow and I do care.
Speaker 3: I just like I think with what we do, I just don't ever feel like there's just so many things that you don't see. Like I don't see the point in bringing up like on a video game podcast.
Speaker 1: No, no, but like yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: I think you're trying to emulate Homer Simpson, like randomly really knowing a lot about Supreme Court justices, which is a very good bit.
Speaker 3: Look, everything I know is from like Mad magazine from the nineties, so it's not that much. Yeah, Okay, this is a productive conversation. Thank you, Dan, I'm glad that we could hash that out. How is everyone else doing?
Speaker 1: Uh? This week is tg A week. It's Keeley's winter birthday.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be in a place together a week from now.
Speaker 1: Yes, but we have so well, let's just say it again, folks. Yeah, we are not going down as a whole to Los Angeles for eg A week. Uh, We're going to these fine gentlemen. We'll be talking over the TGAs this week. I'll be headed down. I'll be slanging buzz balls. You're going, I'm going, uh represented this represent the gang over her. So hey, you know, I had the hardest time finding black pants to match my blazer yesterday. Gang. It was not the right shade. I was like having a meltdown with Nikki on the phone, like the match. Anyway, I was able to find them. But that doesn't matter because next week we will all be together and we will be recording the Game of the Year podcasts for johnbomb dot com that will be interspersed over the holiday break. Should we just say when we're dropping those, we should just say, right, sure, yeah, let's give you something to look forward to. Yeah. Yes, So, folks at home, we're going to be recording four days worth of podcast next week that we'll be dropping December twenty third, twenty fifth, December thirtieth, and January first. January first, you will get the top ten, but days one, two, and three will be fun catagories as they usually are. Uh. We had a little bit of contention with some of the categories Gang. Someone's swooping some of our ideas out there other hours. Yeah, so we may have to pivot make some adjustments. That's why Greb has a golf club right now, he's ready to swang. That's right, about to hit you with it. That's what I do with golf clubs. Yes, yes, uh, folks any other we were good, it was fine. Everything's Mike, How are you.
Speaker 5: Me?
Speaker 1: I'm pretty I'm great.
Speaker 6: Uh last year in my thirties thinking about that only a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, you're gonna die someday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's for sure. I do like playing along those jokes like by one Bay he just caused you, like, ah, i's a field of you're gonna be dead soon.
Speaker 1: Like ah yeah, death dying. Well, it's like.
Speaker 2: It's one of th things, like we know it can't be like ever, it happens to everybody, so it's like joking about it.
Speaker 1: It's a fair thing, right sure, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Real quick, before we get too far away from the Game Awards stuff. Shawn's also collecting music rex soon.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I'm literally putting the form together now because I was busy scanner stuff this morning. Yeah. So I will have a thread on Blue Sky as usual if you want to like, drop YouTube all links to songs that you would like to see featured in Music of the Year.
Speaker 2: And it's not gonna work unless that that music's from Secretory, right, that's what you were telling me.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's got some good music. I'll just say if you're not social media, because I wouldn't blame you at this point. I will also have a Google form here that I will get the link for by the end of the show that I'll also put in the podcast description for everyone in case you would like to submit that way instead.
Speaker 1: Love Lee. Folks were also working on trying to make and bank some content for your viewing pleasure over the holiday break, because I think we all need to just decompress and take some time away from our computers for a hot second. Anyway, we were ready to talk about games. Games.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 1: Hope you I'll know this birthday was low key. Next year when I turned forty, it's going to be pretty insufferable. I would have it no other way. This was low key, yes, so far from now, Mike, absolutely, Oh boy, we had a whole stream for you yesterday. Oh you had to play Lego Party with your request. Yeah, that's fine. I thought it was a good idea. I had a good time. I enjoyed.
Speaker 2: And setting up predictions and that was a good time. Getting chat to gamble folks.
Speaker 1: Uh, we've made it out of various jails right to collective. We've broke out, folks.
Speaker 3: We could break out of jail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it happened. I'm ana breaking bargo right now. WHOA, I'm gonna break and bargo right fucking now. You're gonna put Mike in Disney jail for this one. About this.
Speaker 2: He can't survive on the outside, guys, He's got to go back in now.
Speaker 1: The freedom are the walls, guys. I got that dog in me, all right. I got that dog in me, and that dog needs to bark right now because I'm gonna break in a bargo right now. What dog's name, JA, That dog's name is Bluey because I've been playing Bluey's Quest for the Golden Bed. Uh.
Speaker 3: This is this is a mobile game legitimately under embargo right under right now.
Speaker 1: It was okay.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't think I would do this to Disney.
Speaker 1: It's fine, they're Australi Disney. It's okay. Uh. This is a mobile game made by Half Brick Studios, and the folks remember half Brick fantastic pedigree. Kind of like when I think of mobile game studios, they're one of the top ones outside of like Robo because of like the like the sense they make real mobile games.
Speaker 3: That made one of the good mobile games.
Speaker 1: Huge they made like Fruit Ninja and jet Pack joy Ride, and I played about jet earlier. Yes, yes, yes, uh. Also, what a fantastic name for a studio half bricked and let me tell you, I'm bricked up for Blue's quest for the Golden Part.
Speaker 4: The name I can't say that.
Speaker 1: Gosh, now imagine yeah please. You had an isometric not quite Diablo, but a little puzzle game featuring Blue and Bluey's sister Bingo. But in this game, Bingo. This is why I was just laughing to myself for two minutes. Bingo is now a goose in Bluey's imaginary world. But Bingo is bing goose tingas cool bing goose. That bingis all right, Jan, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 3: We do have breaking news coming from the chat from a Manati and a Monadi. In the chat is saying, I'm catching up in regard to not watching Penny. My family has done it multiple times, and each time the first thing she does is take a dump in the middle of the kitchen. Also, I have two bigger dogs and it gets interesting with all of them. Look, she's nervous.
Speaker 2: And this is similar to the Blue dynamic in many ways.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, there's a lot of dogs in Bluey. But I actually think this could be a very approachable game for the youth to check out grub. I think the gimmicks would actually enjoy it. It is very light in terms of the puzzle nature of it. It is an isometric style. It kind of reminds me of gosh, what was it is escaping me? But it is in Bluey's imagination where she has drawn Blue and Bingo and then her father is the bad guy in this. Yes, we enter Blue's mind palace here and there's various things where you will use a wand to move platforms around and collect candy and give the candy to your mom Chili. On top of that, you there's kind of like no combat per se. It is very uh, non confrontational, much like the show, and the neat thing is all of the voice talent has returned for the show as well. From my memory, I think the creator of Blue actually also has a hand in writing this game. So if you have a little gimmicks out there where that also got that gamer dog in them and you want to start introducing them into games, I think this is a fantastic first go around. There's about nine levels. It is like free to start, and then I believe there's either a one time fee to check out the to unlock the full game, or you can just pay per level. I'm about like maybe thirty forty minutes into it, and it is just it is just like watching the show where it is just like pleasant you can because I feel like the show Bluey appeals to all ages where there it is doing the most swatch show in the world right now, yeah, exactly where the writing in it is approachable enough where you can just have you feel safe having your kids watch it, but also if you are an adult, you're a parent watching it as well. It is something where it's like, oh okay, like I could see you'll all trying to actually teach kids here, and it is fun getting seeing that same lens of Bluey being applied to video games where kids may actually be like, oh okay, this is what I got to do over here. Half Brick Studios, sorry for breaking the embargo and Bluey's quest for the Golden Pen. We're trying to get the Golden pen, so being Goose can lay eggs of course, and Bandit is living up to his name because he stole the Golden Pen. Any of you guys actually watched any Blue.
Speaker 3: Yeah sure, when Manati was falling asleep in the back of your car watching.
Speaker 1: To be clear, you had it on because the kids watch it.
Speaker 6: I did it like request La, you requested it.
Speaker 2: On the way, but you are feeling not so good in your Tom Tom.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Blue is a safe spaces. It can actually be funny. It's it's sweet, it's pleasant to look at. Blue is good vibes.
Speaker 2: I think the thing that puts over the top for a lot of a lot of parances. It's it has deep emotional intelligence. Like it's a show that truly like respects all its characters and and respects the idea of kids having autonomy but also needing to.
Speaker 1: Have appropriate adults like.
Speaker 2: Modeling behavior and then recognizing that it's difficult to model that behavior because parents also are frustrated and traumatized and have a million and like they touch on all these things in a really mature way. It's so good that like my daughter hates dogs, like she just hates dogs. I like the way she got introduced to Blue was a YouTube video where they do the intro music of that mom Dad, but every single time it was Brian painted Blue, and he was getting hit by a car over and over again, and they thought it was hilarious. Wow, but Blue is so good that then she gave it a chance after that, and she it's the one dog that she likes is Blue, so she got over her hatred of dogs for this show. I'm very interested to introduce this to them.
Speaker 1: Jen.
Speaker 2: Is it like, is this something where it like they are clearly trying to build a big service or something, or is it just like, No, it's a video game, go play it and when you're done, you're done.
Speaker 1: No, it just feels like the model that they're going after is just like, hey, if you like this, try it out. Here's like a free level and if you want to get the full game. I believe it's like fourteen ninety nine. It's out on it's going to be out on iOS tomorrow because we're breaking a Barker right now. We're all bad boys.
Speaker 6: And yeah, it looks like the Google Play versus January tenth, and it's coming to switch switch to PS five n Xbox of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's nothing about this that seems very predatory at all, because there's no you're not unlocking skins for Bluey. There's no pay to win part. There's no PvP in this. I don't know if there's any PvE even just light puzzle solving with some like timed mechanics occasionally, but yeah, you know, if you got a little gimmick out there. I actually do recommend Bluey's Quest for the gold and Pen. I was trying to get Scout to play along, but her attention span isn't that great, so she just kind of said, f off, Dad, I'm gonna go with I hope we don't get into the dog pound for breaking embargo for blues Quest for the Golden Yeah, call Penny from the North Pole to comes save us. That's right, are you know? It's funny my since moving back in with my folks, my Scout will just spend time with my mom, and when my mom leaves, she will put Bluey on for Scout, like you don't have to put cartoons on for a dog. But scout attention is just there and she's just looking at the other long dogs in the show. I need Corky representation in Blueye all right, I.
Speaker 6: Don't think they Australia definitely for the same joke you were joking. They got all the other dogs there, but didn't the Queen of England like Corky's a lots, so maybe they might be against that.
Speaker 1: In Austin. Yeah right, they're just in a box.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, what's what the golf club, I'm just it's a fiddle like a fiddle stick thing.
Speaker 3: You should make that, you know, like you know wrestling managers. Oh, I have the tennis racket and I've got the polo thing, and like you should be the golf club guy.
Speaker 1: Long John's in a putter can be that. I don't know. He just has some goods. Get in the mail there he is.
Speaker 2: I wish he would put on more clothes, but all right, that's energy over there.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, what color long John's you think and grab regular white? Uh?
Speaker 2: I don't want white because the idea of like of pit stains and stuff.
Speaker 1: Is like deeply, deeply like uncomfortable to me.
Speaker 2: So I would go with something like a dark color gray, probably like a heather gray or something.
Speaker 1: Heather gray fantastics.
Speaker 6: Isn't that weird the whole pit thing because it's like we only do that and make that smoke because opposedly is supposed to like you know, attract mates. But now as a side of the lease, we yeah, that's why we do that, right, It's a.
Speaker 1: I don't know, like you know what.
Speaker 3: And it's like oh back and the renaissance, like being plump was seen as like, oh that's attractive, Like was there a thing where it's like, oh, yeah, there are do it.
Speaker 1: That's the whole point.
Speaker 6: It's like your stench and it's supposed to like yeah, they have a favorite.
Speaker 2: Variety of reasons that they have stenches.
Speaker 1: I don't know we were into pitts.
Speaker 2: We definitely have pheromones. I don't know if we were into pittsmell specifically into something. There's there's something for everyone. Everyone is into a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah about Yeah, I'm glad that we have this conversation right after talking about Bluey's question. Correctlee wa wash as well, there we go. I guess the other game that's big that we can talk about its Metroid Prime.
Speaker 3: For I want to say I have not heard any of your thoughts on it, and I'm very excited to hear how validated or at odds I am with any of you with onions.
Speaker 1: I'm only uh, maybe three four hours in and i just want to get my uh ship off at the top, because y'all are big your metroid fans than I am. Miles McKenzie. Everyone who's freaking the fuck out for nothing? What the fuck? Y'all on the internet just love to be mad over nothing. This dude, you just meet him once. That whole segment is less than ten minutes. Even you can't even put him on the radio when you get into it, like a level or a temple or whatever they're supposed to be called. He is a non factor. And everyone who's just getting worked up for fucking nothing. So all of y'all on the internet and just need the fucking relax. Also, there's nothing wrong with Chadley for final face.
Speaker 4: Mike is about to boil over like a pot y'all.
Speaker 5: I'm way more excited to hear Mike talk.
Speaker 1: About just about Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 5: I was going to shut up and just let you do it because I have some thoughts to that.
Speaker 1: I just want I want to get out of your way. How should we do this, Mike? You just want to go first.
Speaker 4: We know you want to go it.
Speaker 1: I don't like it. I don't like it.
Speaker 2: I think I'm at a point where I'm like in between a two and five on this game? Yes, really, yeah, I think it's did.
Speaker 1: You give it?
Speaker 3: I give it a five?
Speaker 1: Oh right?
Speaker 3: I'm like fascinated to hear this because, like, I loved it so much per release, and I saw the reviews and I haven't really read them everything, so I just know that they're all over the map, So like, I genuinely want to hear like why people aren't so real?
Speaker 1: Quick?
Speaker 2: Let me give it some good things. The game looks amazing. Absolutely, it plays amazing. It feels incredible to play, to control, to move around, to explore, to do things in the game. Riding the motorcycle feels great. Actually, anytime you swap between being Sami suit of the Morphball on getting on the motorcycle snappy, incredible, using all the powers the Psychic spider Ball or whatever feels great.
Speaker 1: The game has.
Speaker 2: Deep structural issues that I think, you know, a lot of the reviews I think would be like this game feels like other games stitch together. I want to say exactly what I feel like happened here. I don't know, but here's what I feel like happened here.
Speaker 5: Oh oh is this like this is like this isn't To be clear, this is not conspiracy theory.
Speaker 2: This is well informed speculation. It's just I can't I have no insight into what happened. I just feel like when I the circumstantial evidence of this game laid before me, they were like, oh God, we have to do for Metroid what happened for Breath of the Wild. So we are going to kind of restructure Metroid in the same way that Zelda got restructured, which is, let's take the core thing that happens in Zelda. You are confronted with a problem and you have a tool to solve it, but let's make it bigger and work in an open world sense. So you have a core set of tools and you can apply those to all these problems in the open world, and they kind of happen a little bit more organically, and it's kind of a magic thing that happened there. They really pulled it off here. I think what happened is they're like, we can maybe do the same thing with Metroid. They didn't get over the hump something. They're like, somewhere along the line they realized we can't actually make that game. We need to scale back, take the parts we have slap them together in a way that it's like kind of feels like, what's the closest thing we can get here to a good game? And that is like Ockerina of time. So I have these dungeons, they have this area that connects them, and for the game that they're making, it's like, okay, it's okay, But so frequently I'm like, what what is the purpose of me not having a lot of Metroid style exploration happening in in any of these other specific like siloed areas. And really all that is is maybe I get a tool later that acts as a key where I'm like, Okay, I got it in this one area, Now I get to go back to this previous area use it in the one door that I couldn't open before.
Speaker 1: And I'm just not moved by that.
Speaker 2: It's a game that the more I play, the less I'm liking it.
Speaker 3: But do you feel that, like so it is different in that like, oh, you get a thing over here in this kind of like zone, and you do need to bring it back over here, and instead of kind of like backtracking through just corridors and things to get to an elevator that'll take you to that other zone you are taking the motorcycle across the desert and stuff like. Do you not feel like it's somewhat like that?
Speaker 2: I think I think that was a find solution for what they ended up with here, But I just I don't think that's like amazing or anything.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not. I wasn't like blown away.
Speaker 2: Like every time I get to do that, it's like, okay, kind of back to this as opposed to And I'm trying not to do the direct comparison to previous metter of prime games because this ended up just being a very different thing, and I don't know how useful it is to be like, it wasn't what I wanted. It's not what I wanted, but for what it is, even on that level, I think they kind of only just scraped by being acceptable and into something that is kind of okay and good.
Speaker 6: Okay, I think with me it's and I don't think I dislike it maybe as much as Jeff And I'm on the final Boss just to like okay, and I'm halfway through the ice area, so I'm not nearly as far as Jeffy. Yeah, I'm like halfway ish. The thing that's like sticking out to me the most as the problem with the game. You know, yeah again McKenzie. Look, I don't think he's some big problem When he says things like boo yacht. It is a detriment to my enjoyment.
Speaker 1: I could get over it. I get over it.
Speaker 6: But it's like who who the hell signed off on having a character say boo yah in a metroy game. But yeah, like the kind of dungeon aspect of these things, it'd be one thing if the dungeons even felt a little bit more like a Zelda dungeon in terms of I think the way to put it is every room I'm in feels like it has two doors, the way I came in and the way I'm supposed to go.
Speaker 1: And that got a little.
Speaker 6: Bit better even this ice area. But Voldforge, especially, which was this really cool looking area, it was very much just like this room to this room, to that room, to that room, to this room to that room and then back the way I came And like a lot of these rooms were even like combat encounters and not necessarily puzzles. I wasn't noticing a lot of like okay, this is like, oh, there's a missile expitch in here and I'll get I'll come back here with this power a little bit of that. But compared to you know, Metroy Prime wone even Prime two, which I played recently, and how many rooms felt like kind of like you know, spoken wheel, Like, oh man, there's like four different eggs that's in this room connects back to this room, goes to this area, and there's like three things here in this like one area that I can't access yet right now, you know. And I think having the levels connects better with each other, like in a Prime one or Prime two. I do think that just works better for this kind of game than having this large kind of motorcycle area, which I like being on the motorcycle. I don't necessarily think that siphoning off these areas into their own little microcosms did anything positive for the formula.
Speaker 2: They would be better, They would be better if they were interlocked and sort of overlapping, but like, that's not the game they made. So even in the areas themselves though, there's not a lot of that, like just intra level, there's not a lot of examples of being like all right, I'm kind of poking around and coming up.
Speaker 1: With ideas about what I can do over here.
Speaker 2: And that's like, if you want to know what you're supposed to be doing with any sort of obstacle, scan it and it's basically just going to tell you. And I know there's some of that in the previous games, but it feels like here, it's like that as line of dialogue or text in the box. When you scan it, it's just going to tell you the weapon you need to do, need to go, get to do this, so you kind of stop coming up with ideas and stuff like that. I mean, that's been my experience. And then and then like really the scanning was also kind of disappointed, where it's like I want to be able to scan these bosses and feel like, okay, because I scan the boss, now a new week point has been exposed to me.
Speaker 1: But it's like, no, now it's the same thing.
Speaker 2: I just write some stuff, some details about it, and it's these giant glowing orbs on the bosses that you're supposed to hit that are obvious from the beginning of the fight. It's just I don't know, it feels very bandaged together.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like the scanning was you're right with a lot of them, like it doesn't like expose like oh, here's the hint to beating or whatever, but like that is there at times where it's like there's that one late in the game that is like a spider type thing that's like scrambling around on the walls and I didn't realize and it's like, oh, how do I get them off the walls? And then scanning it and it's like, oh, it said something about its limbs, and I was like, oh, okay, great, I can break off the radical and I shoot them to knock it down.
Speaker 2: Definitely some examples like it.
Speaker 4: Also the scanning things that telling you specifically what to use that that is another metro games they just use a proper noun like they will always use like bendium Oh this is made up bend doum, bendyam or right right, and it's like that power bomb proper noun. So it's the same thing just presented differently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, I guess maybe I like that layer of obscurity, but that's not the problem.
Speaker 1: With the game for sure, Okay, Sean, I I can feel, oh, backler police, and then yeah, I kind of agree.
Speaker 5: I'm probably in the middle of like grub and Jeff Grubb and Michael a little. But it's just it's just a little like uninspired, and I guess sort of a surprising way that, you know, I really enjoyed that hour playthrough at the preview, and look, I'm having fun playing this game. I just think I think it's surprisingly uh more linear than I was expecting as well, you know, just going off piggybacking on what you're saying there, Grub, I think.
Speaker 1: It's just it is it boring. It's boring. It's kind of boring.
Speaker 6: I haven't been blazing through it like I thought I would. I don't know if i'd say it's boring, but I got like jumping back in like I thought I would.
Speaker 5: Like, I have a feeling where I'm like, oh, I want to keep I want to see this through. And I do think places like Voltforge are like super cool, like really striking areas, just a bit kind of maybe like a little empty and sort of yeah, it just feels like there's stuff missing.
Speaker 2: Again, like the like her abilities are also like doled out in a very predictable way.
Speaker 1: They don't like.
Speaker 2: That's another thing that makes me feel like this was a very different game at one point they sort of had to scale back to just the core things that wouldn't break things too much. But yeah, she she, you know, she gets her double jump early on, she gets psychic.
Speaker 1: Could jump.
Speaker 6: Gestures are right, Jeff, but like something more with like all this psychic stuff, which doesn't really present itself in any meaningful gameplay changes. The most interesting is very early on that chart shot that you can kind of move.
Speaker 1: Around inside and I like that. That's really neat, like ten times in the game, right, But.
Speaker 6: I haven't, like, outside of that, I haven't really gotten anything else here that feels kind of new.
Speaker 1: There's not a lot.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a superating scan and the platforms reveal themselves and everything, but that's nothing crazy like as far as like the boring thing, Like I'm so quick to be bored if a game isn't doing something to grab me. And like, granted, I'm in that nebulous kind of review, you know, playing through it quickly, the f embargo type thing that kind of throws everything askew at times, but I played that game for like fourteen hours one Saturday, and it's like I did not get remotely bored. But maybe that's just me.
Speaker 1: I I think the.
Speaker 2: Moment, the moment of pressing the buttons is fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like and it.
Speaker 2: You know, right, and me too. And so it's like at the end of the day, I'm like, there's still a lot of this game I like. I will say, like, thinking back to the reviews of like the high highs and low lows, I don't feel like I saw many high highs.
Speaker 1: Like. I just don't.
Speaker 2: I was like, not ever in a situation where I got a new ability and had that Metroid Venue feeling of like, oh my god, the world is so open. Instead it was here is a laundry list of doors that I can now unlock. And I know that's a subtle distinction, but it is a distinction with a difference. The greatest, the great Metroid games, the great Metroid Vinga games find a way to just propel you forward when you have a new thing that can really unlock your ability set. And the world in this game wasn't doing that for me.
Speaker 3: There's no one like you know, you get the Psychic boost ball, and you know there's the part in volt Forge where you go down it's like, Okay, well what can I do here? And it's like Oh my god. It makes like this spirit track basically that I can go, yeah, one tower to another like that was unexpected in a way. But yeah, there's not a ton of like whoa, this is totally a new feeling, you know.
Speaker 1: The flinging with the ball was actually that was a top tier. That's fine. Actually, yeah, Now, Sean, I think you may be the biggest Metroid fan. And I'm going to assume that based off of your purchases from the Nintendo store there in New York.
Speaker 4: What do you mean, I just bought that whole thing, one of every things.
Speaker 1: I don't think I realized until I watched the vlog. I was like, oh damn, yeah yeah, and then I'm piecing it together based off of all the other t's I've seen Sean wear on podcasts of like.
Speaker 4: Every Metroid to Mibo and every collector's edition is off of camera the area.
Speaker 1: So I'm very curious to hear your perspective.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm throwing my head into the ring here. I do think I'm the biggest Metroid series fan here at the site. Like Grub and Mic are definitely bigger fans of Super I know y'all have a huge love of Metro Prime one. But I love all of what Metrod is, the ups and the downs, because we've we've been through a few downs at this point, and so I know that Metroy comes in a few different flavors. There is the original two D Metroid, and then they moved into a slightly different flavor of two D Metrod. There's Prime one, which Prime two is kind of like, and then three went off in different direction as as hunters and like, even if you don't think it's good, other m is another flavor. We have all these different types of Metroid, So I know that Metroid is not one thing. Metroid is not just isolationists, it's not just exploration. It can be a few different things. That's why I implored people to check out METROI Prime three in some way before checking this game out, because this project, you know, started as one thing, and then Nintendo took it back and gave it to Retro, and there was no way that Retro was going to just ditch everything that they did before and not follow up Prime three with Prime four. And that's what Prime four is. It's a variation on the Prime formula that they had developed, and that in itself is a variation on the original Metro formula. They are not the same thing, they are different, And so I went to this game very open minded, thinking it's going to be a little different. And we can even see that from the preview coverage, from all the reviews that came out. This is going to be a slightly different flavor of Metroid as we've had a few times at this point. So I tried to come to the game on its own terms. It's going to be different than some people are expecting, but it's me what I was expecting, and so I'm gonna judge it on what it is, not what other people expected to be or even my own expectations after eighteen years. So what is there? Do I think it's good? I will say in large part I agree with Dan's review, just like a notch down. I was like a little less interesting, a little less excited than him. Like he said, he was hovering between like four and a half five stars while playing it, and I was hovering between like four and four and a half. I think this is a very very good game, but I do think that I dislike some of Low's more than Dan did, so I do fall on the lower side. I would probably give this game four stars if I was playing a review on because I do think it is a little more linear Metro. Prime is linear. If you actually look at the maps, they're not as interconnected as two D Metro. It is because it's very hard to interweave three D spaces like that, and once they start to move towards separate planets and everything like you have in Prime three, things did get a little You enter one room, you have three options. One is probably a save room, and then there's two branching paths. One is probably a missile upgrade. That's kind of the formula here. That's what it turned into because Prime one is a different game. Prime one followed up Super Metroid, so it is more exploration driven, and this is following up Prime three, which is more cinematic and everything. And I think what's there is very good. There are incredible moments, like you know, guys brought volt Forge and frankly entering volt Forge, the killer instinct theme is blairing at you and just you see some awesome visuals and you get Viola and it's a really cool moment. Even something as like different for Metroid as like doing sort of like time trials on a bike. It's cool because guess what, Sam's Aaron is a bounty hunter. She's the single coolest person in the galaxy. That gave her the coolest method of transportation, and it's awesome. There's moments in there that are very, very good, and I think about things like with the rest of the Federation troopers. I think about how there are moments where they geek out over Sam's because yeah, you're just some grunt in the military and the literal coolest person in existence shows up, I'll pure chance to help you. Why have they not done a gag like that where someone geeks out like I love Armstrong. I love the fact that she's like, hey, sorry, she's doing more fall. He's like, I see it, calmed down the trooper, like, you know, there's cute moments like that where I actually like kind of laughed a little because as a metroid nerd, I'm like, oh, she's me. I'm like, Sam's doing more fall, y'all see that. I think there's a lot of cool moments in there. I think the Troopers are good. I think the highs, all the set pieces that are in there are very good. But I think about I played I played Dispatch now twice recently. I do you think about Robert's speech and that about potential, and that was going through my mind as I was playing Metro Prime for whereas thinking about how potential is the thing people talk about when you leave the room and they say you had so much potential, And that's how I think of METROI Prime four. I think this could have been more. They had more here, They just really needed to dial things in more. I think it falls a little short, like like the desert. Desert's pretty boring. I'll be real, like it was fine for most of the game, and then they do something at the end of the game where you need to spend a lot of time out there to finish the game, and that's.
Speaker 2: Im boring, to be clear, because I heard that and I was like, yeah, but like a lot of these games have a hunt at the end of the game where you use all your abilities and stuff like that. That's like, that's not this.
Speaker 3: If we're talking the green Crystal thing, It's like, I don't know if I just haven't on that because I made a point early on to just like I am just in between everything. I was spending a good amount of time cruising around whatever shrines I could unlock, you know, getting as many green crystals as I could. So, like, I totally see if it was like a wind Waker esque thing at the end where it's like, now you got to do a bunch of horseshit for like four hours, I probably would have been pissed off. But I think I spot about that, Dan, So the thing, I think I just have a good spot by the end.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The thing is you're talking about the other thing you have to get.
Speaker 1: Well, okay for me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's that doesn't take too long.
Speaker 4: Now, this is interesting.
Speaker 2: Wait and a quicker and I thought, reroque, I don't let you get back to shot and I just want to say what happened to me. I also did the same thing, get all the green crystals all along the way, and that definitely softened the blow. That's also not the core of my problems with this game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'll yeah, I'm finishing my thoughts here because I know I've been going on a bit long. No, please go the mcguffin that you need to finish the game. It's in. It's in all the preview and review footage. So I'll mention the memory fruit that's what you get by getting all the green crystals. There's a problem, Like grub was saying, there's structural problems with this game, that's one of them, where like if you're going through the desert and everything, you're getting the green crystals as you go from place to place. Actually think that's really fun. I like riding around viola power sliding into crystals and stuff, and the attacking enemies. It's pretty cool. But the problem is the game forcing me to do something that is extremely arbitrary because you need to gather x amount of green crystals in order to finish the game. And that's what those things that like drop the game down for me is because that like, yes, this is not metro it's metro Prime, but even that is not metro Prime in any of its forms. The artifact hunt is you going back through various other places, using your new abilities, solving new puzzles.
Speaker 1: Getting yeah yeah stuff.
Speaker 4: That is how they adapted the two D metro formula into three D and it went very well. The problem here is just they're like gather x amount and it's even structured backwards where the last reward you get. I don't mind saying this because the last rewards you get is a radar that makes gathering them easier. Why was that not the first thing you get? So the game has issues. I see it as like the Metroid Fusion of Metroid Prime, where it is they're doing some incredible things here, there's some awesome ideas. It just has some flaws that hold it back for me, keep it down a little bit. But you know, this is also the fourth game in a series, just Fusion was, and with five with two D Metroid, that's where they'd really dialed things in and arguably made the best one. I'm hoping that. Look right now, I think we have like a great game overall for what it is, but I hope that the next one is just they learn everything that they got wrong and could have done better, and the next one is a much beer dame.
Speaker 1: Yeah there's the next one.
Speaker 6: I'm just kind of go back to like the Metro Prime three things, like you know, like I played some of three and I think I dropped it because I kind of was like, I think most of the changes here just make this worse than metrad Prime one.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I get that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is you know, the sequel to Metrad Prime three chronologically, but I assumed after all this time there would maybe be a bit of a we should be making our games more like Metroid Prime one and less like Metroid Prime three. Right, I guess you know that was just an assumption going in on what I kind of thought, you know, everybody would be excited about would be soon or if not that find some other kind of avenue.
Speaker 1: Because I met your Prime three.
Speaker 6: I did not like having separate planets because again it's you know, each of these places feel more insular, and we kind of have that with this sort of dungeon uh set up this time around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, Like it's having the cinematics, like, look, I know some of this core audience, like our audience may not want to admit this. PlayStation games sell for a reason. The cinematic Last of Us Is and Horizons and stuff, God of Wars they sell for a reason. People eat that stuff up. And that's I assume in a boardroom why they would have continued in that direction from Prime.
Speaker 1: To They did a good job with it. Actually, the character is great. I like the yeah, what's the what's the name of the robot? View nine nine?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, sorry, good stuff. I really think that Armstrong is fantastic as well.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 1: I liked all those characters by.
Speaker 2: The end, was happy to have them with me, like fighting alongside them. In a lot of cases. That stuff well done. I think, yeah, it is. I I'm not a.
Speaker 1: Dispassionate observer here.
Speaker 2: When I go into a game like this that I'm really looking for to Metro Prime one my number two favorite game of all time.
Speaker 1: I have a list.
Speaker 2: I looked at it before I look the star playing this game, like, yeah, there it is right next to a right behind Breath of the Wild. When I go into a game like this, it is very much like I want to fanboy out. I want to find a way to like this game. So halfway through I'm sort of resetting expectations and I'm like letting go of of wanting Metroid Prime and be like this is now, this is clearly mostly a Zelda game. They're trying to make it a little bit more like Zelda.
Speaker 4: I think they.
Speaker 2: However, they came to that, whatever, I don't care how they came to that. That's what I'm playing now. And I think even on those terms, for me, it was it's like a okay, ish like Zelda spinoff.
Speaker 4: I will just real quick, you know. You know, for some people who are surprised you Bezelda, I got some news for you all about how close Metro and Zelda have always been.
Speaker 1: I guarantee you.
Speaker 2: Could go back and find a tweet for me in like two thousand and nine being here, like and Zeld are the same genre.
Speaker 1: Like I've been saying that for years.
Speaker 2: This is the game that made me realize there are some important differences. Yet again, that's not what I'm judging this on.
Speaker 1: I don't. I am judging on what's there.
Speaker 2: I by the end, what was like, I was not having fun for a vast majority of that game.
Speaker 3: I do think to the Zelda point, I agree, but I think you see it as them trying to do their version of Breath the Wild, and I saw it as Akarina.
Speaker 2: You know, No, I see that they failed at doing Breath the Wild, so they sort of retreated to Akarina. That's where That's what I think happened here. And again that is not a judgment call. That is a me trying to sort of be a detective here and figure out what happened. That is also I'm judging it on it being an Akarina game.
Speaker 1: At this point, I.
Speaker 6: Do want to talk a bit about what I really like about this game, because I think there are some highest for me, and a lot of them are aesthetic, because the game is absolutely gorgeous and the music is once again just all Timer stuff. The areas themselves are really cool, Like you know, Voteforge looks awesome. That the ice area. I love that they went with this kind of the thing like underground ice cavern research facility as opposed to the Fendrona drifts kind of more open. I think, so you have a good differentiation there because of the lower stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeh, gorgeous, Yeah, it's yeah.
Speaker 6: These the game is just gorgeous on a technical and artistic level. Yeah, Like pushing the buttons and all that stuff does.
Speaker 1: Feel very good.
Speaker 6: I even like the boss fights to think, you know, something like playing Matrid Prime to recently, a lot of those boss fights. It's a lot of like, all, right, game, what do you want me to do here? Exactly? And it's a little bit of two so you kind of flail around for a while, you know, in like Super Metro and it kind of like, yeah, the bosses shoot them with missiles right, Like I kind of like how Unzelda e they were. You know, there's still a bit of a puzzle aspect here, but it's also like, yeah, shoot them dodge their attacks.
Speaker 1: I think that feels pretty good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do think on the areas, I think this is the strongest lineup of areas in maybe any Metroid game, like.
Speaker 2: In terms of in terms of like their actual like setting and.
Speaker 4: The setting, the vibes, the music all coming together, and even some of the elemental gimmicks like so, Mike, you are you only part of the way through Ice Belt. I just turned on the power generator Icepelt. I think after that point, like solidifizes as me my favorite area metro game.
Speaker 1: It is it just time.
Speaker 4: It's such a good idea and that's what the game needed. That, Like, the game just needed more of those ideas solidifying and shining through. It just feels like so much of it is half baked. Is the problem? Like you you almost got there, But the lineup of areas is very cool, and I think they just need to do more with it and maybe shrink similar things like the desert.
Speaker 2: I don't know, there's I don't know if they're using photographmetry or whatever. But just like this, the rocks sitting in the lava with the big sort of machinery on top of it.
Speaker 1: Just oh, they cooked with the art in this game.
Speaker 6: They really did have yeah to technically just absolutely mind blowing. So well, yeah, I'm like halfway through, so I'm still not sure where I land. I think I'm kind of, you know, even with some of the next episode, I think I'm still kind of at a four out of five right now. I still am enjoying it, but there's a you know, maybe a big takeaway is like, boy, once again, just sure is hard to make a sequel to Metroid Prime, and it's hard to live up to those the actual standards, in the standards of where I do put that game in my head a little bit. I suppose it's kind of being this just mono.
Speaker 4: It's all expectation, you know, Like it's hard to make a follow out to Metroid Pride, no matter how many entries removed from it we are. It's hard to make a follow up to Super Metroid, no matter how many follow entries we are removed from that. It's it's always gonna be difficult to follow up the legacy the expectations grub, I think this was a proper word to use when you've described the baggage of the Metroid series. You can't have two of the highest regarded games of all time without having a super critical eye on all time. If you have even the smallest myths step people are getting called out, and that's it's fair because I'm I'm glad this conversation we've had is less about is it Metroid, because that's the thing that bothered me all through all throughout, like the preview period. There things people saying this isn't Metrod. Metroid can be a lot of things like calm down, don't don't hold down such a pest al that's sacred. Just let's talk about do we like it or not. If you don't like it, that is completely valid. Everyone's allowed to have their opinion. And if it didn't hit, it didn't hit. I think for me, it hits somewhere in the middle. And I think we have a wide, pretty wide range of how we all feel about this game, and that's interesting.
Speaker 3: And I don't even fundamentally disagree with like anything anyone on this call has said, Like I mean, I think these are all valid things. I just don't think most of them really were enough to bring down my overall experience and enjoyment of the game. Like things Grubb says about the overworld instructure and stuff. I totally understand, you know, the guy saying boo, yeah, yeah, I don't love that, But ultimately it didn't really affect my enjoyment of just the metroid of it all, you know. So yeah, I do like kind of the wide array of dependence here.
Speaker 1: I will.
Speaker 6: I will say, just when I was halfway through Vote Forge, I thought out loud to myself, I don't think Jess gonna like this game.
Speaker 2: I can tell the moment that it really hit me was I think maybe get into like the like seventy five percent through the game, one of the new main areas and uh realizing say, okay, every single one of these areas the save the save spot is right at the beginning when you walk in. There's maybe one other save spot in the entire area there. This is not some maze and Sean, I agree with you that Prime One sort of fakes it, but faking it is important, like making me feel that way.
Speaker 4: It's a presentation, which is what this game is lacking. Sometimes like as gorgeous as I go back to yeah.
Speaker 2: I go back to feeling bandaged together, like I think that it's a miracle that this game ever even came out and that it's as good as it is, because I bet, I bet if we got any like this is the game, I'm most curious to hear what happened, because I bet we would hear horror stories and just like things falling apart and they then being like, I don't think we're going to be able to finish this game. We have to delay it just to make something here that looks kind of like a good game, and the fact that people were able to I mean, god, they had a good game underneath.
Speaker 1: The way it plays is so good.
Speaker 2: I bet they're like, we're so close if we could just clasp it together, and what they ended up clasping together is acceptable in most cases.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny that Mike brought up like knowing that moment of like oh, grubs nagivy into this and like once these things happen, because I also had probably the flip side moment of that where you know a moment happens later on the game where I'm like, oh, I realize.
Speaker 1: What this is.
Speaker 4: You're playing a Metroid cut scene the beginning of Fusion, like when Samus is on missions with the Federation, like the beginning of Super when she's like checking in with them and like gets into some trouble. That's what you're playing right now. And that's what I don't feel like an intro. Yeah, the whole game. Yeah, like as a geek for all the lore, you know, reading the mangan stuff and getting hung up on all these different things. That's where I'm like, oh, this is so cool for me. But I also think this is why a lot of people aren't gonna like it, because again, that's not what you want on Metroid, and I get that and I respect that.
Speaker 2: It feels it feels like a side story, like the even the stakes. I'm like, we just were just teleporting out here. That's what's going. There's no leg maybe there were some other like threat that I was my Obviously Silux is here doing his thing, but like he also seems like he wants he wants to stop me from teleporting back home.
Speaker 4: You weird still haven't actually finished it, right, You're just like at the end.
Speaker 2: I am, I am fighting a man who is transforming to the various elements right now.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, I want to hear your thoughts on the ending because I like this game a lot. Boy, I didn't like the ending.
Speaker 4: Well, we'll talk about the ending you have.
Speaker 1: That took for to grubby folks. I love having lengthy conversations about video games, but I got to take a quick breaking break and we got more games to talk about on the other side, as well as the news. We'll see you right after this. Alright, dog, it's time to start the show. Are you ready to go? Yeah, dude, I'm ready. No, grub, you look like you are in a den of iniquity right now.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that means, and I don't know what you want.
Speaker 1: It's not like I have a home studio, jan, Yes you do. The computers that main Gear built for us have Nvidia g Force RTX chippoos in them, and with the Nvidia Studio drivers and in video broadcast, you can turn even your man cave into a professional studio. Using broadcasts, you can upgrade your webcams, microphones, and speakers using the power of machine learning to take our shows, voice chats, and video conferences to the next level. You can use audio effects like noise removal.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I guess I have a fan on. Well, it's hot. I'm not going to turn that off. Let me just hit this right here? Is that any better?
Speaker 1: Jan? Much better? We can clean up your shot with auto frame and video noise removal and Grub. You can even make it look like you are paying attention using the eye contact tool so I can still watch my store. Yes, yes you can. Nvidia Broadcasts is a universal plugin that works with most live streaming, voice chat, and video conferencing apps. It's supported on any n Video g Force RTXGPU, and since I'm using the Nvidia Studio drivers, I'll get stable, optimized performance in Adobe Photoshop, DA Vinci Resolve in all the other apps that I need to use to fix our mistakes in post. You know what.
Speaker 2: Thank you to ban Gear and in Nvidia for supplying are in Nvidia Studio PCs, in Video broadcast, your AI powered home studio and video studio. The software advantage for all creators. Jan, I'm not even looking at the camera at all right.
Speaker 1: Now, Grub, stop stop looking at me. I haven't looked at you forever. And we are back. We have emptied our energy tanks. From the various liquids that are contained in them. And we're still talking about games, Mike Minati, you are on a quest to also finish off some miscllaneous games, and I'm curious to hear what your opinion is on Dispatch. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yep, tons of buzzs this one. Everyone's been talking about it, you all, my brothers.
Speaker 1: Everyone in the industry. I know, because I'm so online. I know what the buzz is about in the video. So yeah.
Speaker 6: I played through episode one and definitely understand why people are getting attached to this one. It has tons of style. It just looks good. It presents so well. I think Aaron Paul is fantastic as making. I think the make character bec has so easily been this kind of like dope himbo guy. Instead, he's kind of capable and I don't know, interesting, and I like him.
Speaker 1: I actually really liked the dispatching.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a pretty small part of episode one, but I was like, ooh, it's like, yeah, I said, two people out and like, really.
Speaker 1: Make sure I complete the mission. But then the.
Speaker 6: Timers are a little rough on these other missions. Then even likelates nicely too.
Speaker 2: Over the season, they get a little bit more complicated, not crazy, but they get and it's all in the right way of like challenging the core mechanic of understanding what this mission wants without it explicitly saying it right, you know, like the QT stuff, which you can turn on or off.
Speaker 6: Even though I like having that interaction, part of me is like, should I just turn these off?
Speaker 1: It's not much.
Speaker 4: In the first two minutes when you have to like zip up your suit and pull down the mask, I was like, oh, I'm turning these off. These ahead.
Speaker 2: I'll say it's really good for streaming because there's nothing better than a streamer being caught off guard and being.
Speaker 1: Like, oh shit, I'd been like that everyone when you were when.
Speaker 4: You were dancing in one of those scenes, I saw grub It's like, oh crap, I had to do qut there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, or I actually didn't like fist bump rooid and I had to like live with that nightmare the whole time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I kissed plon Blazer kissed her and no could stop me.
Speaker 4: Yeah we all did.
Speaker 1: You're gonna Yeah, you're.
Speaker 6: Surprised because told me like only like fifty six that people kiss her.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I bet that's gonna be a little skewed by replays at this point of people who have can.
Speaker 6: If you don't, Yeah, also please he's like, Oh, we're going to get drinks and you're gonna spit in my mouth and.
Speaker 1: It's not a date, Like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about the language? The sort of the way the characters talk to one another? This has become a little bit right point of online. I'm a fan of it.
Speaker 1: It's you know me, it's like a little TV, and of course it is. That's what they're going for.
Speaker 6: It's it's everybody's pretty clever, right because you know, right, yeah, then it's not just that.
Speaker 2: It's like people are like, oh, there's too many like dick jokes and stuff like that. These two of these characters talk to one another and yeah, go ahead. I mean real people do talk like that.
Speaker 1: Dicks come up all the time. Exactly. Welcome to this web now.
Speaker 6: You know, I don't generally like things like in Incival or you know, I would never the boy seems completely repulsive to me.
Speaker 1: This isn't that that's because of It's not the violence in it, right, like the hyper violence.
Speaker 6: It's a little bit of the hyper sexualization as well.
Speaker 1: I suppose. I don't know.
Speaker 6: It just all kind of becomes a little much to me, the cynicism more than anything. Yeah, I suppose about it, And there's a bit of that stuff here.
Speaker 1: He asked me, what's my favorite genre.
Speaker 6: I don't think that, Like, yeah, kind of cynical flipped on its head. Superhero stuff is necessarily my thing. But this is being done well. It looks really good. I am curious to see where it goes.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that just real quick in defensive minciple. That's about seen through positivity through cynicism.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I know, I'm just I have to defend my boy. I like that.
Speaker 4: I like that Mic is host on episode one because I would say, man, it doesn't get really good until like episode like three. I would say, because that the first one introduces the main character and you know, the main other character, and then two introduces the rest of the crew. At three is like where you see what the game really turns into and it really gets rolling after then, Man, it goes places. I do really really like the dispatching gameplay in here, because that's the thing I always didn't like about the Telltale games is the lack of gameplay. You know, they went for more of an old school adventure game style kind of just you walk your character around, you pick up maybe a key or something like. There's not much to play there. You kind of are just watching and then making all the decisions. And it's cool that the decisions matter. But this actually has a real game and there the management of the dispatching I think is really fun and the strategy of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, He's an evolved version of Brotherhood's, you know, Cesson's Great Brotherhood.
Speaker 1: Yeah sure, Yeah, Like I love that.
Speaker 4: Even if this was like ripped out and its own thing, I would be like, oh, the dispatching gameplay is very fun. But like the fact that in there the interweave it into the story and some really creative ways. I thought, yeah, some fun ways. I love dispatch so much. Yeah, I'm doing a second play through with my friends now. Over parts we just passed the controller and like, uh, this is something my group of friends loves to do with this kind of game is like everyone shouts what they want the person holding the controller to do. It's a little fun, like a little panicky, and then someone locks in the decision. We all have to live with it. It's it's a fun time and it's a fun way of play that game. And yeah, I love this game. This is this is towards the top of the list for me this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, scry to play more of it. I hope you do, Mike. I hope you stick with it at least through episode four.
Speaker 2: For for's the one where you're gonna know for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah by then, and you know they're an hour long?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, finally collect them all.
Speaker 1: Rainbow Taste the Rainbow and Tingus the Goose and Grub. What are we doing here?
Speaker 3: We don't know, we don't know, we don't I don't even say we don't like it, because that seems like a value call on if the game is good or not. I don't know, Grub, we were we are.
Speaker 2: So far away from being able to assess it on the level.
Speaker 1: Okay, hold, but before you'll continue one, but before you'll continue on the vibe that I'm getting from y'all when you originally brought up Tingus Goose is the scene in Step Brothers when John c Riley and Will Ferrell ask their parents can we build bunk beds? Because there was like a level of excitement and curiosity to it. And now I feel like the bunk beds have fallen on you guys, and maybe the Tingus Goose isn't what it's meant to be.
Speaker 2: The bunk beds are growing other living bunk beds off of the like you know, the the studs that hold it up and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: It's weird.
Speaker 3: If you want to do a movie reference, jan, I think it's like a naked gun, the New One when the bad guys looking through the thermal goggles and it looks like Liam Neeson is fucking the dog and the guy goes, I don't like this.
Speaker 2: We are that guy now it's uh, and every and the thing is every time we look back through thermal goggles something different.
Speaker 1: But it's getting worse. Yeah, it's getting worse. What do you do in Tingus Goose?
Speaker 2: Babies get born out of the it's an idol game, but kind't say the word no, they don't.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's where they come from.
Speaker 2: They burst out of like a stomach, I think, and then they're like constantly the babies are constantly bouncing out and if you click on the babies enough, a bunch of coins will come out, and then the baby will explode into body parts. But if you don't click on the baby, the baby will bounce around and go into a coin slot. I think you still get something.
Speaker 3: And it's fine if the babies explode, because you get to keep the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why I moved on. It did not matter that they exploded. Yes, yeah, So then you take that money and then you invest it in your goose that has been been born out of this lady's stomach, and it's the neck is continue to grow vertically, but then you can grow new stems, like like new branches off of this goose neck that are new gooseheads or other things. And I'll say, right around then is where I'm like, to what end? It's kind of what I thought to myself and I did not get an answer.
Speaker 3: It's non stop, just birthing things this game. Yeah, and it's just a lot like it heard that video in junior high that everyone had to watch but me was really gross. It's just like if it's a lot of that the game and it's just I do miracle around you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a beautiful miracle, is what it is. Never seen it never will. Don't know what the whole situation was way more than you would think.
Speaker 5: It's so interesting that you just like cosmically were absent that day.
Speaker 3: I skipped a lot of class. Yeah I didn't intend to, but yeah, I don't know what it looks like for a thing to be born, and I probably will never know.
Speaker 1: Can you skip class in high school? Dude?
Speaker 3: I mean you can't mean you could just walk out and drive to funk the land and place in the night for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we might.
Speaker 5: Are you gotta you gotta you gotta unpack that question?
Speaker 3: You just walk out of the building and get what they cared. Yes, but I assume they would have stopped me nicky like and sometimes you have, Yeah, a lot of waste.
Speaker 1: I want to I want to say, it's Saturday schools. Yes they did care. Yeah, I want to say it's maybe different now a little bit. Uh. When we were in high school.
Speaker 5: It seemed very easy to do. Also, you're just like the goodest boy.
Speaker 6: I'm a good boy. I'm a good boy. Is it possible that perhaps they gave up on Dan at a certain point?
Speaker 1: How much a cool bad boy I was?
Speaker 3: I would skip school and when I got away, I would put in the music volume three and play the Degeneration X theme because I was.
Speaker 1: Being a rebel. Yeah, you go to a super Bowl. You can go to Catholic high school?
Speaker 3: Right, No, no, just until fifth grade? Yeah, gotcha.
Speaker 2: So anyway, the duck there, you can make a birthing canal on the and then you can make another. You can make another goose branch underneath that's a bunch of tiny fingers that point straight out, and the baby goes directly into those fingers, explodes, and you get the money very quick now, and it's sort of like an infinite money fact.
Speaker 1: Stop. Well, I don't know how much longer y'all are going to be playing. Tingis Goose. It sounds based off of how y'all are parsing it out. It sounds unbeatable, but something that is actually unbeatable. It's this guy unbeatable. Sean, you have been checking this out. I think this is a highly shun anticipated game.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, yeah, speaking speaking of games, I've been waiting a long time for this one. Not as long. This has been like four years or so since the they did a kickstarter to get this game funded. But I've just been waiting to play this game ever since they announced it. My elevator pitch for Unbeatable has always been fully coolly. The game, if you like that sort of late nineties early two thousand's anime where like, some cool shit happens that you don't know why, but it's got great music and music still. Now there you go. That's this game. It's it's a little hard to describe precisely what it is, but I think the easiest ways to break down what the game play itself is, which is paper Mario walking around flat two D character that's animated walking around to three D space. And then when you get into combat, which doesn't happen often often it's not like an RPG combat, but it does happen, almost like beat them up style, because this is a world where hey, music is outlawed. The incident happened, and now we can't do music, and you're sort of piecing together, well, why the hell did this happen? And so naturally because it's outlawed, and you know, you're the girl with the guitar, well, in this case a microphone stand. You beat up the cops left and right, and that's that's the combat in this game. You get in there and it's like guitar hero rock band style notes coming down paths, but instead of being vertical, it is horizontal. It's just two lanes. But they do something interesting with that where the notes are either you know, just like you hit to the rhythm and there's whole notes and there's rapid hit notes when you're like punching people. But then when there's like some of the more fully cooly of it, all the more like supernatural weird stuff sometimes. Instead the combat is with just like these creatures that pop up, these little gremlin things, and they do fun things where you know, you hit the high note or the bomb note with two buns I your controller. Well, if you hit a high note and it's like the blue note, there's physics on it and so it like gets popped up. And then on the next beat you have to hit on the loan note, and so there's like all these visual cues.
Speaker 1: That you're doing interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's the combat is you play like a portion of a song rhythm game style, but then there's all these other things too, Like mini games are abundant, and it's very rhythm heaven, where like the first time you look at it, there's like a beat you know, like dot dot dot hey, and you're like wait what and then it's like dot dot and like it'll be baseball and you're like, oh, I hit the ball on the beat. And then it's like that's the mini game. It ramps up, it gets harder then, say you know, later on they use that to have like oh, cop drones are flying at you and it's like dot dot dot hey, and you whack the drone out of the air. You know, it's it builds in that way. It's a very special game because like I think this is one where like if you go to the Steam page now you look at it, you're probably gonna know if you want to play this or not. You know, if it's your.
Speaker 1: I want to play it is amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's all like hand drawn on like p S one polygraphics. Like it's really cool. I would say, especially like from this group I would call like grub Jan and Jerf. I would love to see like what you guys think of it and Mike up your alley too. Yeah, it's it's very very interesting.
Speaker 6: Remind me of that mini game I had to play in the Back to the Future NS game on Arcade Pit that one time.
Speaker 1: It's just like, hey, by the way, shouts out the arcade pit. They had a big anniversary.
Speaker 4: Over the anniversary, there's a little bit jank unform, fortunately to the point of being noticeable. And may it's because, you know, developing this game during the pandemic and everything sort of slowed down a smaller team, but it's just enough to be noticeable, which is unfortunate. They do it like, I hadn't played a version of this game with voice acting up until the final release, and so they do a cute thing where like the text will get squiggly or big or scrambled depending on how people are talking, and textboxes will overlap if someone cuts someone off. They try to also add voice acting to that. I don't think it quite hits. There's a little bit yank with the when voice lines play. There's some bugs in the game every once in a while, and it'll be anything from a small to like a character sprite not loading properly until a couple of seconds in to like one of the big set pieces didn't load for me, and I'm like, am am, I just waiting until this happens, and then it's like game over because the thing just didn't load. I wasn't playing the actual segment. They have been releasing a bunch of patches in the review period, so like maybe this final version will have a lot of effis. I don't know, but just letting people know, because I also quickly glanced at reviews here because this game just came out at the top of the hour, and so the reviews are starting to flow in. I see some more people playing out. Yeah, there's enough jank that was noticeable when we were playing for a review. And it's it's a little bit longer than I thought. Maybe I misread something. I thought it was four to six hours, but it's like six to eight, so I actually need one more session to finish the game. But again, like right now, just you want to here's some awesome beats. You want to beat up the cops in the process, have this cool anime experience, and it's only like six to eight hours. I think it should be right up your alley. Which is, by the way, I neglected to mention the other half of this game, because you know how I mentioned that there there's rhythm game for like the combat. They made what they call Arcade Mode, and it's just a rhythm game. Like you just go through this giant cool track list, you know, from all these songs that they made for the game, remixes they got like you know, friends of the devs and like all the like famous video game composers and stuff to do, like remixes and stuff, and you can just choose difficulties and like there's leader boards and stuff like that. There's is an entire rhythm game contained within this game that has this cool story mode. So yeah, I'm having a blast with it, and it is it is kind of living up to my expectations for the most part. There's a good Like I said, there's some jank, there's a couple like slower moments than I would like, but overall it's I think it's a special game.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of an anime version of Back of Our What was that game at Summer Game Fest that had the young kids as they and they had the vignettes and they were sort of like learning lessons and stuff.
Speaker 1: Uh, yes, this is giving me like anime mixtape vibes. Yes, cool, Uh, fantastic next game before we get to the news here, We've talked about this at length at this point, but I'm curious to see if you boys have any other new jazz to talk about with Sick.
Speaker 3: It's the main game I'm playing right now. It's the main game I'm thinking about. It's the game that I have to stop myself from playing at a certain time of night. If I think I'm going to be going to bed at any point in the next hour or so, I will see the shapes in my head. Yeah, yep, okay, that's my question. Yep, yep, No, no, I love in your head. Yes, there are times where, like you know, Tetris games and Luminous and stuff like that, where I know a galantry warriors did this, and out there the.
Speaker 1: O led burning in my brain. Yeah, yeah, my.
Speaker 3: Brain and retinas are just filled with fucking shapes and yeah, it's it is tremendous grub. I still I am nowhere near your level. I'm my own level is going up.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I've beaten it on the experience mode a couple of times now, and now I'm working on challenging because you said that's where I can see, that's where most of the high scores are. But oh man, it's just tremendous. I'm just yelling as I play it out of joy and frustration and oh I had eight shields and I was on the fucking red thing and died immediately during my best run, and that I'm furious about. And it's quickly climbing my list this year. It is tremendous.
Speaker 2: It's such a I mean, you know, it's of like I've said, it's a very light rogue light in that you're going to be unlocking things, but you unlock most of the stuff, Like you have a deck of cards, but you unlock all the cards in that deck after a handful of runs. So really it's a rogue light in that you are learning the game, so it's it's just an arcade game but whatever. That's like most closely associated with rogue light games these days, of like Spelunky. You need to learn the mechanics file how every little individual thing behaves so that you know how to react and sort of plan and put yourself in the best position to survive. And then once you feel confident, you start coming up with strategies of like if I could have dashed like a couple more times there, or if my dash had a little bit more distance, I could have done something different, And then you start stringing those ideas together, and when it all clicks, you do feel like a god or you feel close to God. It is an ascendant experience for sure.
Speaker 3: Curve, do you ever get tempted when it's like I've got a crazy build going on, I'm pretty deep into a run, it's looking pretty well, but I've got like, Okay, my missiles are going crazy right now, and I have four missile drones following me around, so there's just purple missiles flying across the screen at all times. And then I get a potential card where it's like, hey, what if we turned all four of your shields into missile drones.
Speaker 1: I'm like, like I.
Speaker 3: Would die immediately, but it would be so fucking cool while I lived, Like.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, that's that. I definitely did that a handful of times. Like You're like at a cera point, like I'm doing so many of these runs, why am I not taking risks? Like, let's the reward could be very high? And I do think on my run I had I did that early on, and it was like it gave me uh four I think missile drones, and that gave me enough survivability that it's sort of made up for the fact that I didn't have these shields anymore. And then it's like, okay, so for the next little bit, I'm gonna focus on when I can building my shields back up. You know, there's five in the bank there if you can get the upgrades for it. Uh, And it was okay, Yeah, I have so much survivability in terms of shooting things down. Now, as long as I'm paying attention to these things that dash at me, especially from a distance, I'm gonna I'm gonna be okay. And that's where the real last learning click came from. It was I'm very good now of like clearing the like plowing the field, of clearing everything in front of me, and surviving by just going forward as soon as something is gonna come from a distance that I really struggled with that. It's like once I started learning some strategies there, it's like, okay, now we're good and I can take a little bit more risks and you got My goal was to get over ten million. I got just over ten million points, and I'm very happy with it.
Speaker 3: It's an elite company of like Geometry, Wars, Robotron, like the best those type of games you know.
Speaker 2: I mean it's it's the sequel to that genre, like this is of the people who played those games obviously had good ideas for how to evolve it. It's geometry wars have all devolved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is lovely, fantastic final game. During the game segment today, this is another highly anticipated game. Backler, I think you may be the most juiced. You've been the most juiced for this. I'm talking about Skate Story. Pretty juicy, is it obvious? Very moist? I appear to be very You're you're vibrating, is what it is. I can some would say shimmering, some would say shimmering sauce that you look like you press the button to say that, but you just and myself to make sure I can scream that for you. Yeah, I'll goutew. It's one of those.
Speaker 5: Moments where I felt like I was some sort of like ventri liquist tell me where I opened my mouth but Mike's voice came out. It was pretty cool. That's not the worst thing that's ever happened to me. Skate Story, Baby, Jen, Where are you at on this?
Speaker 1: Okay, So in the quick look that is now up on the website and on YouTube. I think during our conversation back Laar, I was a little bit down on the game. I've since completed it after the Quick Look and holy shit, I am so we're so fucking back baby.
Speaker 2: Is that because like the vibes and the story like really came together like it was. It was a hefty climax that really like delivered on everything that was supposed to happen, or that you felt was supposed to happen, or was it, Oh, the gameplay really clicked at a certain point.
Speaker 1: Honestly, grub, I'll have what she's having. All of the above over there, I think, and and Backler, you had some fantastic thoughts on the Quick Look, and I'd like for you to to reiterate that over here. But I think skate story, I want to initially wanted this to just be a skating game, and then what it wound up evolving into is perhaps a heavy shimmery Foustian deal with skateboarding and then the association of getting back up and doing the damn thing, whether that is your and through this lens that the passion or the purpose is skating, but that can one hundred percent be applied to so many other things. I Visually this game is incredibly overstimulating in a positive way, and the music absolutely crazy town bananas because of how it is brilliantly formatted to play along with the levels, the drops in it are absolutely bonkers. It will go from a very ambient sounding angelic track to blaring dubstep mid allie. There are parts of the game where I still do have a little bit of friction with I don't enjoy the semi open level segments as much. I think the grinding in the game could be a little bit better, and maybe that's just because my brain is so attuned to how it is in Tony Hawk. But overall, the story that gets unfolded of you are this demon glass skater hell bent on consuming the moon, and your journey through hell and your let's just say friends that join along the way is great. At the overall message and the fonts in this game, y'all, I think this might be the best fonts of the year. Backlar I don't want to speak for both of us here, but I think this is a lovely game because this hits the jan and backlar Venn diagram of like immaculate vibes. Music atmosphere and fonts.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, you kind of put it perfectly. Yeah, I mean just vibes are immaculate top to bottom. I don't know, on the quickly agree we went over this. I am so impressed with how such a singular vision is so perfectly realized in this game. It is unbelievable, and in the way it's presented in the seemingly impossibly small amount of people or a person that is involved in the creation of this game is nothing short of a goddamn miracle.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think this has the right amount of.
Speaker 1: Sort of.
Speaker 5: You know, consideration for all the things that you would want to do in a game where I'm not you know, I'm I want to just get lost in this world when I'm playing it. And that was selfishly what I was hoping for with all the trailers and the lead up to this, and you know, it was sending a message of like, oh, is this game like a Tony Hawk put in in you know, chromatic Hellscape?
Speaker 1: No is it?
Speaker 5: Is it sort of something else? And I was kind of hoping it was something else and and and that's what it is. And you get, you know out of it, what you what you sort of put into it to.
Speaker 2: Describe like what it is just real quick as like kind of a poem almost like them trying to throw a tone for mechanics and vibes all that.
Speaker 1: It's it's a bit like.
Speaker 5: It's a bit like a lot almost like a beat poetry kind of thing too, where you're just sort of.
Speaker 1: Watching.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but definitely abstract, definitely just sort of uh ingesting little chapters and short you know, storytelling moments that you know don't really are mostly inconsequential, certainly to Jan's point, deliver a positive message. But again, a lot of it is is you know, you were you were going from chapter to chapter in this story about a demon who is making looking signed to deal with the devil, to sort of make his way through the underworld.
Speaker 1: And you know, you can eat the moon.
Speaker 5: So many moons. There's many moons that you will consume in this game, and they are by all accounts delicious. Yeah, so, I you know that's it is very abstract, Uh it is. You know, there is light, skateboarding, trick chaining sort of together. I definitely echo Jan's thoughts about the grinding. I do think it is very rewarding when you kind of figure out how you are meant to parlay some of these tricks together and with the grinding, the move set of tricks that you have is not wildly you know, varied, and I think that forces you to be a bit more creative with how you kind of chain stuff and implement stuff. And you know you're using these combos and these trick performances to to to battle bosses. That's how the game sort of is structured.
Speaker 1: You know, it is very light. Everything is very sort of light and airy about it.
Speaker 5: It's a it's a very breezy kind of playthrough. The environments are all sort of like New York based, you know, whether it's a subway or sort of an overworld. And yeah, you know again, like the biggest part of this game for me is like I know, I'm going to play some going to be visually it is striking. Everything is so striking. You're so sort of blown away as to like all the particulars that are happening on screen and once it really is just like a total carnival, right, And I think it's I think this game, more so than anything I can really think of in recent memory, is such a product. You know, the sum of all of its little parts, right, I think, you know, if you take one thing and sort of slice it out and examine it, you're like, oh, this is like an interesting mechanic. But I do think the best thing about this game is how when all these ingredients are put into the blender, the thing you get out is this, like is such a satisfying sort of overall experience. And yeah, I mean it's you know, I don't think it's gonna like I don't think any of the gameplays specifically, is going to blow anyone away. That that is not what this game is. This game is mostly the experience, mostly the vibes, and and I think when you play this thing, like for me, it's like, this is a thing I don't even understand how to like, you know, put intowards it, Like the experience of what you're doing. You've never seen anything like this, You've never played really anything like this, and you've never been presented with anything in this sort of way. The music implementation is nothing short. It's like it's almost perfect, Like seriously, it is so.
Speaker 1: With the game. There's track choices.
Speaker 5: Blood Cultures is the band that put together a lot of the music for this. It is and when and like Jen said, when those drops hit, it is chills, like literal chill what this game is able to do. And again I think like you know, you you pop in for a second here and there, and you're just like, all right, you're just controlling this kind of like clunky little glass man and that's weird, I guess. And these things look strange and striking and unique and whatnot all together though, really just such a such a satisfying, tremendous experience overall. Really happy that this is out there. I am so grateful that this thing is out there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what what a past couple of weeks for? Like these music and vibes focused games, Secretary, Unbeatable and now a skate story. Like it's seems like we all kind of have one of these. That's that's got awesome, especially you know, like, hey, if some of the bigger releases are a little disappointing in ways that it's cool that we have these smaller and more personal experiences that are really hidden with us. That's really cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it is personal, right, Like I'm not expecting every Tom, Tom, Dick and Harry exactly what they're talking about, But I'm not expecting everyone to just like totally sync with this and be like, I get it back alart, this is speaking to me in the exact it's not.
Speaker 1: It's not going to do it.
Speaker 5: There's there's a lot of and I think Jen, you share the same sort of you know, mentality, Like there's a lot of things that just kind of like speak to the stuff we're into, right, And that's definitely a recipe for success when you've got that sort of commonality with what.
Speaker 1: The scheme's presenting.
Speaker 5: So it is a deeply kind of like personal thing too. But yeah, when it hits, it hits.
Speaker 1: Man. Cool. I wasn't expecting to take as many screenshots of the game. I take screenshots of a game. It's not just because it looks pretty in the moment, but because they're dropping bars with the dialogue or the story and the text. Each chapter ends with like a summarai a poem that summarizes the whole level, and it's it's done very well. I think for me, this kind of again, this is yet another example of the beauty of telling stories through video games as a medium, because I don't know, like watching this would be cool as like a visual or a music video. But like playing through it. Another thing that I think Skate Story does really well is that it nails the weight of skating and like the half and like the fervor of like you gotta push and kick, and even though he's like a little glass demon man, you see him like swaying and like trying to re recapture his balance. Yeah. Also there, God, when I say I have had so many screenshots, it's because this game reminded me oddly enough of aspects of mouthwashing from last year, and for folks that are also looking for another game that it may be similar to I mentioned on the quick Look, there are moments where it does remind me of Cyonara Wild Hearts. So imagine Cyonar Wilde Heart's mouth washing on a skateboard and you are a little glass baby man. Also one of the frogs of the year.
Speaker 5: I think, oh my god, Oh okay, there's a pillow man.
Speaker 1: Also a little beat like just strange, little weird shit.
Speaker 5: It is very also like David Lynchian, Yes, yes, yeah, you know, in a in a weird kind of way where you're just sort of like, I don't know. This floating skull has these like scissors that say something important to what I'm meant to do here. I don't know what else. It is everyone's little and we're all going into this portal and that's what's happening.
Speaker 1: Back or did you get to the penguin? Oh my god?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Did the penguin also remind you of Benati? The penguins? Oh? Shit, Okay, I see this. I'll send you. That's amazing. That's parenthesis positive. Mike don'ts are great because he just like a sway to him. That's like if a Finati ran like a jewelry shop, he'd be this penguin, you know.
Speaker 5: And that's the cool thing, Like you know, this is you know, I I this is the this is the playfulness of hell that I feel like I've been too that no one else has really gets on board a while. Yeah, I've been banging this satanic drum for for a minute. And if skate story is any you know, vindication of what exactly I was going for here. I mean here it is, folks.
Speaker 1: It is uh.
Speaker 5: You ever go to a bar and you're like, yes, and like the decoration, I wasn't done. I wasn't done, And the decoration and like the ship on the walls, and like the things they're calling their menu items, and the people behind the bar and all the all those little bit You're like, fuck, man, this would be my bar if I made a bar, right, Like, that's the feeling I'm getting with Skate Story. It's like I feel so at home here, you know, I feel so much, uh like I belong, like this is a member, Like I'm I'm supposed to be a member of this club somehow, and uh that's it for me. So I feel, you know, the Skate Story should make march, you know, I do like Sam. Let's talk like what do we what are we doing? I don't know Sam. I keep talking about Sam like I know Sam. I think Sam's probably pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I think Sam is very cool. Oh god, all right, that, folks is skate Story. That is it for the games.
Speaker 2: Jeff's not Jan tell me just real quick, not think babo babe, no bout baby steps.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, grub. I had completed Skate Story and then the story that it was presenting towards me and this is I think I've just been on a journey this year of like, oh, all these games are making me feel way too much. Let's go for another game that may potentially make me feel way too much. And so I booted up Baby Steps and I made it decently far, and I was kind of letting it all sit and simmer with me, and then it just kind of like clicked into place after I thought of glass Story or not glass Story, skate Story. Sorry, and this is going to be a very interesting game of the year. We appreciate a developer like Bennett Foddy. I think Sam Ng also should should now be in that conversation for like fantastic indie devs, because the stuff going on in bed at Foddy's brain is very poetic and beautiful, but also are you okay dog type of deal. And I think I get Baby Steps not just for the hilarity that is presented, because of the physics of the game and how it is, how it breaks down and makes a complicated task out of just walking, but then the act of walking and entering that flow state, but then getting back up because you know, you get knocked down and you get back up again, and they're never going to take me down.
Speaker 3: I got knocked down and stop playing it.
Speaker 2: Are the person who least lives the chumblewoe, the lifestyle, dam right, I'll say it.
Speaker 1: Your weapon.
Speaker 3: I fell down the first hill and I was like, well that's it for.
Speaker 1: Me, and like I fell numerous times before we even like it took me so long to get out of the initial like little water you're in and I kind of just flopped around like we did in the original unfinished of Steps. But yeah, like it clicks into place.
Speaker 2: There's a moment in that game that was top three most emotional moments for me in any video game ever. And it does happen. It does happen like related to.
Speaker 1: The Man Breaker, but after the Man Breaker, I'm not quite there yet. But from what the parts of the game that have spoken to me, and that's just me finding meaning in it, I have definitely reverberated inside the cavernous hollows of my soul right now, Jesus anyway, Jeff Grubb, the dues Hi, I have news.
Speaker 2: Let's start here with game Stop may have accidentally leaked a second playable Resident Evil Requiem character. A game Stop listing for the Resident Evil Requiem Deluxe Bundle briefly revealed a potential second playable character, Rosemary Winters. The listing now edited mention a shadow Walker costume pack with three exclusive outfits for Rosemary Winters and a morphic visor cosmetic filter for Rose's visor and Aiden whatever his name's iconic hat. I'm sure, let's see here. Yeah, so that's one character that could be in that game. There's another one though. Now at the PlayStation store, they have also accidentally revealed a Resident Evil veteran will be coming to Requiem, and this is a different character. An image on the PlayStation Store for Resident Evil Requiem seemingly confirms the return of veteran character. I mean, gott, I guess it's spoiler, but everyone was guessing this. Come on, come on, Leon Kennedy. Yes, yeah, this has been in the air for a while now. I think this is something one or both of these could be revealed at the Game Awards even.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, oh my god, wait three characters? Are we doing? A Resident Evil? Six?
Speaker 3: Like a devilment cry five? Like five like Marcian Gothic, like I.
Speaker 2: Just want to like zap one of the other characters, and one of them is just doing some some.
Speaker 3: Random hot dog Yeah yeah, okay, so how many years because like Rosemary was a kid, she was the baby in village, right, she.
Speaker 1: Was a very village. But the deal was forward.
Speaker 3: But yeah, something in the DLC.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but this I can't imagine taking place during that time skip era.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I never played that DLC, so I feel like the Rose thing. I don't know what to make of that. That could be something small or whatever. But looking at especially the key art where you get the Leon leak, like that is a what do you call that protagonist?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 6: It's just the second protagonists, right, that's a fun it's fun to say that. I need to learn that better. Du toists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Bet you have a son right there.
Speaker 6: And I think this is why we probably have like the first person and third person gameplay.
Speaker 1: I bet the Leon Kennedy stuff is going.
Speaker 6: To be a bit more action presenting, whereas the stuff with the new character likely seeing the trailers as much more like Resident Evil seven more scary.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm excited to see what this looks like a bit more at the game wards.
Speaker 1: I like Leon Kennedy a lot. One of my favorite characters.
Speaker 3: Good, he grew a beard is facial here.
Speaker 6: Now Scott's a stubble, a very tasteful stubble. He's a He's a tire old man now and I respect face Pubes. Just say it the face Pubes, everybody.
Speaker 1: Who among us.
Speaker 2: The future of Tone Raider will be revealed at the Game Awards. The future of Tomb Raider will be revealed at the Game Awards this week, asking for via a Fortnite Island and.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry to cut you off, please I get it. I hope this does good.
Speaker 3: News like this, like, I'm.
Speaker 1: Is this the end of.
Speaker 5: Laura croft Is? I hope it goes the good way. I fucking still loveder. I'm glad that you loved it, but it I hated the original games. I really loved those first two comeback ones.
Speaker 1: I love that Shadow. It got a little sort.
Speaker 5: Of ventured down maybe the least desirable path, I think, but.
Speaker 2: That that is a really great tool for testing performance on PCs.
Speaker 5: Yes, that was always like the benchmark, right, you know, Yeah, maybe that original game is basically unplayable by today's standards, But you know what, I have a fondness of just like not knowing what the fuck to do in these insane dungeon areas where like the path through is some completely unseeable little ledge where you just had to liken to jump off the corner of a thing whatever it right, Like, obviously there's rose colored lenses that are informing that opinion. But where you're right, bro, where that relaunch went was nothing short of a fantastic right And yeah, I hope there's a bright future ahead here because there's still gas in that time.
Speaker 6: Speaking of bright feature, I you know that remake trilogy, which I did enjoy. I think I kept getting darker and darker, which I think my shadow was maybe a bit much, And it made sense that direction when Uncharted was happening, and it kind of already cut maybe corner of the market on the bit more like fun adventure side of it. Now that we're in a pretty vacant Uncharted area, I hope to see Tom Raider maybe lean a bit more back in that direction, be a bit more you know, adventuring fun time. You know, you can have obviously heavier moments, but I don't want it to be Shadow of the Raider super dark. I don't need to see Laura Croft getting stabbed in her thigh me every two minutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, go back to that old like India Jones pulpy vibe that the first couple tumors had. Yeah, I would be down for a revisit to that. We might have some might have some breaking news here. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. There might be developments on Desert Statue Gate.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was just reading that as well, there, Mike, Yeah, it's all distressed. I'm distressed because I liked the one Hey like like you playing mack Troy.
Speaker 2: When I was reading that news story, I was like, Dan and Mike are gonna like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Unfortunately, though the new scuttle butt, thanks to a trademark reveal and some logo Sheanani kansas that perhaps this is related to Divinity, which was never oh never mind the Larry and franchise, Oh come on, just get through is so good. The next game from Larrying This is Larry and that's a huge deal. It's a huge deal.
Speaker 1: It's very exciting.
Speaker 2: But but if they, if they do have us visit their studio to play the game, we should send Dan liked.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, it only makes sense. God, I like that.
Speaker 4: He turned his compressor back on. Now when Yelsea becomes small mikey again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you totally tear it off. And I was like, I don't know if I like.
Speaker 3: On Belgium, I'm the only one that can speak to these people.
Speaker 2: You're yeah, and you're flad be. It does look pretty similar. I guess now it looks very similar. It probably is Divinity and that will be a pretty big get. And this is also kind of the kind of thing they would do. I've not really asked around about this. I've been having fun with like the mystery, and we might as well just carry that forward. Now we're gonna find out in two days.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to the desert. I will find out, all right, a man on the scene.
Speaker 2: You could actually go find this like they have the coordinates out there.
Speaker 1: Or like a series of I'll make a transmutation circle around it of like five different colored buzzballs and we'll see what comes out. Okay, okay, beautiful.
Speaker 2: All right, let's see anything else from the Was that all from the tomb raider thing?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yeah, we haven't left that one yet.
Speaker 2: It could be the show, could be the move or the game. It could be both. Is the tease that couldn't end up happening?
Speaker 1: Or said it was crystal dynamics related or something? Right?
Speaker 2: But I think I think they might also talk about the show at this thing. So we'll see I mean, it's Jeff Keelee.
Speaker 1: He would love to have anything related to Hollywood, so they would do that.
Speaker 2: Xbox was out sold by a little known Connect style console during Black Friday. This came from Matt Piscatella, who pointed out PlayStation five, which had a really steep discount, like one hundred dollars, and they had the biggest discount of out.
Speaker 1: Of any of these consoles.
Speaker 2: Forty seven percent of Black Friday sales went to PlayStation five.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Nintendo switched to a second at twenty four percent, and then after that and third not the Xbox fourteen percent was the next playground, which is.
Speaker 1: I have one of these things.
Speaker 2: It's a little cube with a camera, and it's just a bunch of like PlayStation eye toy style games of you, you know, whacking your hands around and hitting match balls and stuff like that. Wow, a lot of whacking games. Yeah, like the Bowser Junior game. You can play at Nintendo World.
Speaker 1: Should I bring this to New Jersey and we could play it in the half?
Speaker 3: Maybe ye will.
Speaker 1: But your chance will miss it so much.
Speaker 2: I pay for a yearly subscription for that thing, and I don't think they've touched it since that first month.
Speaker 1: Hey, helly, also cancel the Just Dance subscription grub if you haven't.
Speaker 2: Oh ship, Yeah I have not let me do that dancing. Yeah, we could keep dancing. I had a Hey, I had a good time. I feel good after that stream.
Speaker 3: And the BB Just watch m x C and be on the mat again, like that's the only thing TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had a roommate once. My first roommate actually said that if the TV is going to be on the house from the hours of five to six, it has to be on the Simpsons.
Speaker 1: And I was like, yeah, that's not bad.
Speaker 2: And then I got and then I got Super Mario Sunshine and I started playing that, and he was like.
Speaker 1: It's five.
Speaker 2: I can't have the TV on unless it's on the same sit.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you're you're fucking.
Speaker 3: Serious, all right, you're seriously about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Eventually they kicked me out for not being like Chandler and uh and.
Speaker 1: Joey would yes, both of them.
Speaker 2: They wanted our relationship to be equivalent to Chandler and or Joey.
Speaker 1: You're neither of those people. I was never gonna be those people. In your exit interview, they were like, I weren't enough like these, Oh my god, yes, yeh, you're crude Kraber. For a.
Speaker 2: I was go work a backbreaking job and come home and sleep.
Speaker 1: That's what I was, and thought, oh my god, it is so funny fun times. I moved back home and that was the right choice. Xbox was out sold.
Speaker 2: Netflix has agreed to buy Warner Brothers, including game developers behind Mortal Kombat and Hogwarts Legacy.
Speaker 1: Now there is that's that's.
Speaker 2: They're going to try a hostile take over one hundred and eighty million dollars in cash, and they yeah, that's a very very rich person, Larry Ellison, but he's not going to use all his own money. He's going to Saudi Arabia and Qatar or Cutter and going to have them help them fund this deal. And they promised they won't be involved in running the Wonder Brothers if they get it. So yeah, that's gonna be a fun back and forth.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: Here's here's the thing about the video games on all this, they are not the central thing. You know, Netflix, they don't care about it right now. If they get If Netflix gets it, they're getting HBO and all that content and you know, all those subscribers to HBO Max.
Speaker 1: Did they go back to They went to HBO Max. I think, yeah, I don't know what you want to watch for HBO now want to watch HBO is gone? This is just great. This, this is just the best.
Speaker 5: I don't know about you all, but there should only just be one fucking company ever, just the Company of Earth.
Speaker 1: As long as it's a tech company, I'm gonna be fine. This is.
Speaker 5: I can't begin to describe to you how amazing this is for everyone involved. And I'm very excited for the one company that we will all be buying content from.
Speaker 1: What the Oracle is The is Larry Elson's company. I like.
Speaker 2: My understanding is they like kind of just stay in the middle of everyone and buy stuff from one company and sell it to another, and then that now he's a.
Speaker 3: Trillion Larry Ellison I had not heard of and I just had the thought, oh, I bet this guy sucks, and I googled him and he looks like a Bond villain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, always sucks.
Speaker 1: He looks.
Speaker 5: I feel like the last time I heard a friend of the show EDS trying to talk about Oracle, he made me feel good that like Oracle was in trouble because of like them not being able to be solvent with all the money they've got out on the street.
Speaker 2: It's definitely a yeah. I mean it's the bubble thing obviously. Yeah, it's bad. There's a lot of stuff invested in GPUs. Hey either way, Uh, like New the Realm is not gonna go away. That is a company that makes makes games. The rest of these studios, who's to say, like, how much interest is are any of them going to have in I don't know, what's a.
Speaker 1: Sort of rock study.
Speaker 6: He's kind of in a weird space, a suicide squad world. Yeah, travelers tail right, Like, Yeah, Lego Star Wars made a lot of money.
Speaker 1: That was a bit ago.
Speaker 6: You would imagine the Hogwarts legacy people they would just want to make another one of those that made a zillion dollars.
Speaker 4: But who knows, they weird don't care. In the press release that came out, they didn't even mention WB Games. They were nowhere in any of that. So it's like small potatoes compared to what they get and everything else.
Speaker 1: Apparently it would potentially also make wrestling very weird anything though, I.
Speaker 3: Thought the T and T and TBS fell under a different jurisdiction or something like, I don't.
Speaker 1: I take it back then, Yeah, wrestling sure weird on its own then, yeah, like normal wrestling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's like weird, like you know, I know people don't believe that some of these characters are ever going to go public domain, but they've already sort of won all the battles they can win with that, Like Superman's going to start going in the public domain here pretty soon, and I know there's always weirdness around there.
Speaker 1: It's like, can only be the first version.
Speaker 2: Of Superman, you can't go base it on anything since then, But that stuff's going to be less valuable here and that the next five.
Speaker 1: To ten years.
Speaker 2: And yeah, so the fact that they're doing all this and then they're going to turn to these companies that have primarily made superhero video games like a rock Steady and then like go invest five to ten years making the next one of those, I don't know. It just seems precarious on all sides. And the worst part is, of course the companies making these acquisitions don't even know there's video games binga, let alone care about it.
Speaker 1: Is Oracle, the American company that they made kind of takeover TikTok or.
Speaker 2: That was yes, that was the idea, Yes, yeah, you got it. And then you know in Paramount is the reason they're showing up now is what is their company? Sky Dance is a Skydance Media.
Speaker 1: That was them.
Speaker 2: They acquired Paramount recently and now.
Speaker 3: Skydance missed impossible, Like, I don't they like Tom Cruise something related?
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: I think he's like, yeah, he was like in the ground floor there, but since then it seems like a vessel for the Ellison family to acquire more and more of American media. They would also own Oracle, CNN and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: After that to be fun. Uh.
Speaker 2: Suda fifty one says he wants to bring back this forgotten PS two game, hopefully sooner rather than later. Grasshopper manufactured Ceo Guachi suit us Suit of fifty one wants to bring back the Studios two thousand and four PS two title Michigan Report from Hell. I know all right, I remember hearing about this. I never played it. I am desperately wanting to play this game now. He's basically he just plays a cameraman covering a plane crash in a miscovered Chicago on Lake Michigan.
Speaker 7: I think, is this story? What is Michigan basically? Yeah, I would love to see this. I wonder if this is the kind of thing that Suita just says to see if he can make it happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that man manifests very very well.
Speaker 2: He does, so I'm hopeful. All Right, buckle up, you motherfucker, Mike Manati, are you ready?
Speaker 1: What's going on here?
Speaker 2: Cap On plans to grow Mega Man, Devil May Cry and It's Attorney into Core ips, similar to Street Fighter and Resident Evil. Capcom's president Hairohiro Suji Moto stated in a corporate report that the company plans to elevate Mega Man Devil May Cry an ace attorney.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: That's a bunch of you, except for how much you hate Devil May Cry.
Speaker 1: I don't. I've heard was good.
Speaker 2: Didn't mean to put you out of the spot. Was just having a fun. I know how you feel about it. I just know everyone else thinks you hate it because whatever, I.
Speaker 4: Repeat what he explicitly told me.
Speaker 2: We can't start this, Okay, So we know that Capcom wants to do this. It's obvious from the way that they've been like treating some of these other franchises that they have talked about then wanting to elevate Dragon's Dogma, and it seems like they didn't include one game on this stead Rising, which could reappear here any minute.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: It seems they're like they want to do the Temple Days perhaps, yes, in a couple of Dames Days Press perhaps, So, Like, do you think they want to have the capacity to do all this?
Speaker 1: And what would that even look like for Mega Man?
Speaker 6: That's the question, because you know they've been making Mega Man products, there's been compilations, there's still a Star Force compilation coming out next year.
Speaker 1: Uh. You know, remaking Mega Man is weird.
Speaker 6: Because it's not like, you know, even a Resident Evil game where you're taking a three D game making a three D game.
Speaker 1: If you bothered three D game, they could remake, right.
Speaker 6: Well, they're not going to remake Legends. I hope they have a compilation what it. I mean, maybe maybe they will.
Speaker 4: It could never give a chance. Really, that's kind of the problem.
Speaker 1: Mikey.
Speaker 5: If Mega Man in your in your fantasy booking mind, if they could redo Mega Man outside of that side scrolling sort of presentation, yeah, well, what would you love to see Mega Man explore.
Speaker 1: It should be you should look at right. I think I think Ratchet and Clink is the kind of format you look there.
Speaker 6: That's I think that's the franchise that is the best three D platform that has shooting mechanics.
Speaker 1: And that's kind of been the three platform.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's all Megan Man's saying is, you know, it's the two D game where you jump and shoot. Ratchet Clake is a three D game where you jump and shoot. I think you look at that and.
Speaker 1: You finally go and make like a really fun, exciting, yeah, three D meg Man platform, that would be my dream stuff. That's a great idea.
Speaker 5: And then and then you you know, you arrive in those battle areas where with the bosses that would be fun.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you try to let desert on a motorcycle? Now all right?
Speaker 3: Dog right?
Speaker 1: Dog with wheels? Yes, I bet we get another two D game. I bet they're going to make like, maybe it's not Mega Man twelve this time. Maybe we finally do another X game as a bit of a throwback. But I bet that happens at least first. I know that you're very high on Proto Man, but where are you Proto Man with zero zero's cool.
Speaker 3: You got the ground like you were Clinton Eastwood.
Speaker 6: Man is the first character I, as a human I ever thought was cool.
Speaker 1: I was like three, and I was like.
Speaker 6: WHOA Mega Man has a brother and he's kind of like mysterious and that's cool.
Speaker 1: He doesn't smile. He means basics like if.
Speaker 3: You were an edge Lord when you were like three.
Speaker 1: It's like being in Ohio someone who didn't smile. That's an alien that's from another play that's allowed. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, guys, what we're said as a human, I mean mean as a human being, not Proto Man.
Speaker 2: He's a robot right coming online as a human, like like, this is one of your early thoughts.
Speaker 6: Yes, this is one of my earliest thoughts that I can remember, is thinking Proto Man was cool.
Speaker 4: I think there's a couple of different ways that they can approach this too. It's like Mega Man. They could do like what Sega is doing, bringing back some of their properties, like giving Shinobi to a team that would do a really good job with it, for example. I can see them doing that with Mega Man. If they wanted to Ace Attorney, they could just like put more of a marketing push behind it. You know, games like.
Speaker 1: Personal it takes to make it core IP like to get it up there that level.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm thinking is like, cause let's be real, those franchises in particular are never going to get up to the heights of Resident Evil and Monster Hunter, you know, over one hundred million, Like they've always struggled a little bit because they are a little more niche. I think, just you know, recognizing how much money they're going to put into it relative to how many pilburg Good buy it. Finding that balance like maybe having an indie studio license the IP and that sells like two million copies or so on. Maybe that's what they mean as combined with the re releases that they mentioned or anything like that. That's what core IP is for Mega Man, whereas DMC they can double down on. You know, it's key making these big cinematic action games with huge set pieces and production value, and that's what that can be. Like, I think they can find a bounce for all these especially Ace Attorney. Ace Attorney needs to be given our chance to shine in a post yeah Sona popping off and Don being huge with a lot of fans and stuff. I think they could elevate these things in different ways.
Speaker 6: You know, This Attorney was growing, Like, those collections are doing surprisingly well, and I'm a little surprised that's taking this long to get the next one. And I bet we hear about that.
Speaker 4: Pretty It definitely helps, like that the collections are out there and now there are just fans of the series.
Speaker 2: And they are coming sort of to the end of the collection. They did come to the end of the.
Speaker 1: Free Attorney, right, everything is everything is now? Yeah, yeah, so it's great, pretty close. I got a question here, though, did Beautiful Joe say something wrong? Did he get canceled? Yeah, he's mad.
Speaker 5: This is a this is disrespectful, it's too bad trail.
Speaker 1: Because it's too good.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I played two, but one is like just a perfect game.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, yeah, mumble was the problem.
Speaker 4: They had some size, know, a double trouble on the DS, like yeah, those were not.
Speaker 5: I mean again, it's anecdotal, right, because it's only in our little orbit, But I've never seen so many people in our little orbit who want this right, And like, if you extrapolate that, I'm sure there is a palpable appreciation slash.
Speaker 6: Demand for this character and this franchise, give a time, maybe that'll call me team. Once they're done with that in like eight years, then they'll go to Beautiful.
Speaker 5: Jos plus Proto Man kind of looks like beautiful Yeah, good point.
Speaker 1: Good point. Interesting.
Speaker 4: The problem is always capitalizing on the hype, because with even a smaller one of these, it still takes like three years to turn around roughly, and like, hey, maybe there's a lot of nostalgia for Mega Man or a Beautiful Joe or something, because like people make a bunch of tiktoks and YouTube shorts and stuff, but then by the time the game is out, maybe the hype has died down. I think that's a trap Capcom has fallen into a couple of times here, so that's probably whether they've been a little anxious to have really double down these series that don't sell as well. But I think we're in a different different spot in general, especially with Steam of becoming so much bigger and smaller releases being more viable. I think that they could bring some of these back.
Speaker 1: All of question for y'all, do you think we would sooner get a new or re release of a Beautiful Joe game or Billy Hatcher beautiful Joe beautiful again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially with his association with that criminal that's the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really photograph. Yeah he.
Speaker 6: Mentioned crisis, not even though people keep screaming for that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean they were doing something a few years ago and then they decided against it. I think they probably discovered some like reason why they're like, it's not worth it, so it's not in the front of their.
Speaker 1: Minds in this moment at least. That would would be my guess. Debinlee May Cry. You just make a new Double Maker, yeah, sure, or you remake one something and whatever? Sure?
Speaker 2: Uh oh yeah, they they'll probably will probably start doing some compilations of Devil Might Cry here soon and begin the process with that and then kind.
Speaker 4: Of remake re releases have already been out there, like the HD versions are already out there. But I can remake a one I think will go a long way and modern you can make.
Speaker 1: Christ really? Yes? Does she like three?
Speaker 3: No, that's the one she quit on. It's the best one, and that genre.
Speaker 1: That's the best one. It's definitely the best one. God just like Assassin's Cree.
Speaker 2: Black Flag Recinct has been listed on Peggy's website. A listing for the long rubered Assassin's Creed Black Flag remake titled Assassin's Great Black Flag Recinct has appeared on the Peggy website with an eighteen rating of for violence, bad language, and in game purchases and for piracy. This gets announced in two days right of the game awards. Huh yeah, I think makes sense. Yeah, and I could be in the mood for that game.
Speaker 1: That was I guess the game I enjoyed quite a bit. I never checked this one out. I think I was already tired of the franchise. Oh yeah, that's why I just like tap out entirely.
Speaker 6: The pirate stuff very cool in this, but there's a party that even thinks about. Like, even though this game's intro was shorter than some of the other ones, is a part of me. It's like, I want to do all that stuff again. I just kind of want to be a pirate.
Speaker 1: If only made a game that was just the pirate stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could ever work, you know. I would like to fight against the other pirates online.
Speaker 6: The possibilities that sounds like where some of the we're adding it extra a to the trip a formula.
Speaker 2: A letter writing campaign, everybody and let eves know what you want, all right.
Speaker 3: I feel like you and I. I think our brains have the exact opposite reactions when we hear that Sea Shanties are involved.
Speaker 1: Has got as big as silver dollars.
Speaker 3: I do like thee shame the second people on the boat start singing, I'm like, I'm good.
Speaker 1: I saw Midnati like slowly start floating like a cartoon character smelling pot twinkle toes like Fred Flintstone, Yes and stuff. It'll be a I also like shanty.
Speaker 2: Star Wars Night of the Old Republic two restored content DLC for Nintendo Switch was shut down by Disney's illegal team. The restored content DLC for Star Wars and Nights of the Old Republic two on Switch was announced, but later quietly canceled, sparking fan frustration and a false advertising lawsuit. In June twenty twenty three, Aspired co CEO Ted Selock confirmed the cancelation, citing a third party objection. Now details reported by Steven Toatillo at game File, based on internal communications between Aspire, Disney, and the original PC mod team, outlined the reasons Disney had previously blocked restored content for the twenty mobile release. When the topic resurface for the Switch Switch version in March twenty twenty two. Disney initially had no objection to Aspire working with Motyrs provided Aspire secured all necessary rights, including for supplemental content. What happened was they took that back to Disney and there was people's names in the credits for these mods that they were going to put into the game to fully complete A Nights of the Old Republic two. They're going to use this like publicly available stuff, but some of the names were pseudonyms and things like that, and Disney was like, whoa, we need to properly credit these people, and we might need to re record some of these voice lines that are done by non union actors and stuff like that. And as soon as all these things started to pile up, Aspires like, oh so, basically, what you're saying is we can't use any of this because we're not going to be able to unravel many of these problems. And that became an impasse and so Disney effectively got in the way and shut it down. This is not going to necessarily be like all right, now, the lawsuits going to get thrown out. It might be like, oh no, this is a successful lawsuit. Disney at one point said, okay, aspired went through on that understanding. Uh, and so this lawsuit, which is for false advertising, might actually result in something at this point. But I think it also makes it sound like, oh, we'll just never get that stuff now in an official release, so just go play it on the PC instead.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I bet that koetor one remake is another thing we might see in a couple of days here. So I don't like it, yep. Uh.
Speaker 2: And then if they do that, we could see that stuff in a remake of two. If that first one doesn't, well.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, that's the story saying.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the story saying exactly, the remake of two is already happening. It's a little interesting that you would just jump on that before the first one's even done. Presumably it's a different team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're so closely related in terms like it is a direct sequel, And so that's why I think they're saying. It's like, if we're doing this, let's that's what the story is saying. This is like, let's do it all in one go. I think it's it's still gonna like rely on the first one doing well enough, to sort of justify that going forward.
Speaker 1: But we'll see.
Speaker 2: Surprise Skyrim Anniversary Edition lands on switch to today. Boy, they did it again. I think it's a free update if you have the game on switch.
Speaker 1: So there you go. Yeah once again.
Speaker 2: All right, that does it for the news, Handing the show back over to Jan, Folks.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a quick bricky break and we will be back with emails, super chats, and whatever else we feel is necessary right after this break. These are the game emails. BombCast. Giant bomb dot com is the email address to send all of your lovely emails to folks. We've been getting a poop ton of emails and I appreciate it so much so that we can't fit all of them on the show, so please don't be offended speaking about emails. We will not be doing a live BombCast next week, but we will be recording one to air next week, so we'll all be in person, and I'm going to say, send your emails in gang. Send them in bombcastagiant bomb dot com. If you want to send it a quiz, you want to avoid an awkward social interaction, You want to pick apart something we said, you want to compliment one of us. I welcome them all. Maybe a little BombCast mail bag, specula or special or spectacular. I was trying to make a fun word.
Speaker 3: I was trying to make a special word.
Speaker 1: Have fun. Happy birthday, Mikey, thank you. Do you have fun? Then? Yeah? I like that alright. First email comes from Also. If you have sent an email in the past that has not gotten read out loud on the show and you desperately want it, Slash needed to send it again. Maybe I'll get on to next week's episode. First email comes from Mike from Loveland. Hello, Oracles of the Giant Temple bomb fee bomb Fire. We've had years where every game had grappling hooks, or years every first person shooter had a bow and arrow. What will twenty twenty six be the year of What would you like it to be? I'd like it to be the year of the chunky pistol. I love the show, Love you all. Mike from Loveland.
Speaker 3: When the summer games for TGS where every trailer for like a twenty twenty six game was like a weird mech suit like XO suit type thing, like yeah, because.
Speaker 6: It got pragmata and it would probably be more Mega Man games announced.
Speaker 4: Uh, Mecca broke gosh.
Speaker 6: Should even make that joke earlier. Yeah, I think Max Suits is a good game. They're going to bring back Anthem.
Speaker 3: I mean they put a Maxsuit in Haiti, so maybe we're just starting.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, I like this idea.
Speaker 2: I think Wall Running is going to come back again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like that. Yeah, that's what they should have done. My should have had Wall Running. I think they tried to make they think they tried to make spells happen, Like what was that.
Speaker 3: Very visually busy game, Immortals of a Yes, that was.
Speaker 1: I see you that.
Speaker 6: I think like some Square Enix investor put together some report on what the company is doing wrong. I think Force Spoken costs significantly more to make the final Fantasy sixteen really.
Speaker 1: Jesus, but very very good handling resources. Their scout please what's going on, Scott? Please? Also smart pistols, basically anything.
Speaker 3: Make it the Year of Titan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there we go. God, remember when we played that, like was it a year ago or something? It was still great? Great, So we should just make that a holiday tradition right now?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, all right. Josh in Minnesota rights in and Sean, it's apped that you were here. Hey, Bombers, I'm looking at getting my nephews five and seven their first Pokemon game. You only have a Switch one, So what do you think is the best title of that generation for their first time for first time Pokemon players. PS Happy related birthday, Dan best So thank you, Josh. Yeah, that's gotta be. Let's go pikat your ev right shung.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like it always depends on the platform. Whenever people ask, like, hey, my first Pokemon game in twenty five years, what schuld I play? I'm like, dog, you got you gotta specify. There's so many platforms you may or may not have and everything like this, so we're gonna ask the question. This is great. Yeah, if you're looking for the best one on the Switch one, let's go Pikachu and the ev mic is right, that's probably the best one overall for anyone to get into, especially because there's co op. If you're getting your nephews this game play together, Yeah, they can both play together. They they throw a poke ball together. It actually like combines into the higher tier poke ball and has a better chance of catching. And it's also just a great Gen one remake it's just like, you know, a good old school RPG, just with some niceties that really bring into the Maron era. It's a great place to start. But also legends Za is it runs well enough on the Switch one for what's trying to do, and that's a very really fun game. So maybe as like their second Pokemon game, that could be a good one. Uh, you know, like Scarlet and Violet are going on the switch too, not on the Switch one. Same with Archeus. Archius is rough around the edges on Switch one. So yeah, I think definitely stick with the Let's Go games and if they get really into Pokemon as a franchise, maybe explore some spinoffs, you know, like I think Pokemon Snap is evergreen and New Pokemon Snap you just pick up that on the Switch as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent agreed on Let's Go Pikachu or Evy. Next email comes from Travis and Fargo. Travis sens in five questions. I only read one of them. Travis writes, I talk to my kids seemingly on a weekly basis about the mental and emotional emotional benefits of experiencing boredom. Sometimes what's a boring or tedious task you don't mind or even enjoy.
Speaker 3: I think that's part of the reason I don't really listen to like podcasts and stuff is because, like I think a lot of people will listen to it while they're doing other things, and I don't like to distract myself in that way. Like there's saying you'll hear a lot of like meditation books and stuff where it's a wash the dishes, to wash the dishes, like it's a boring it's a tedious thing, but like it's good for you to occasionally just like you know, you don't always have to have stimuli and things just going in your brain all the time. So like that's why I'm you know, we joke about the like movie thing with the phones and stuff like that, but there's a reason that's important to me.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I go on walks and sometimes I listen to Deadlock, and a lot of times it's just like, no, I'm just gonna walk and I'm just gonna focus on the walk and not be distracted with things. So yeah, no, I totally track with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh god, what's he all right? Fine, I won't talk camera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I enjoy like occasionally just throw myself into the task, although at like some things it's like, oh, cleaning the house is so tedious to me, and not tedious, it's it's just like I have dopamine issues. I have ADHD, so it's like doing it is like a whole thing, And if I can get dopamine from like a podcast instead, I can sort of fake my way into enjoying it. But there's so so many other things that I was like, Oh, no, it's good to just be bored sometimes, and I do tell my kids that, so you know what, you guys need to just get away from everything else. Just go be bored for a little bit. That's something that you are almost never experiencing, and it's probably.
Speaker 1: Not good for you. I like being present with Scout and when I go take her out for a walk, not saying that it's tedious. You know, she needs the exercise, needs to go use body, But like I don't know, I like basking in the neighborhood with her and talking to her, even if she may not understand or she's ignoring me like a little jerk.
Speaker 4: She can be, I think, right, I want to sneak in one that jan you'll understand where I'm coming from. With this a bit of a different direction. Editing is tedious, yes, but it's it's fun when you are able to incorporate your creative ideas into an otherwise tedious task and when you have that finished product of oh yeah, I pulled that one off. That feels good, Like it's a really satisfying moment, and you get that all the way down to you know, like washing the dishes and like feeling that satisfaction. Well, the dishes are done, go on walking like I feel reinvigorated. It's nice to be able to find that in your work when you can as well to like make the day go by. That's why I chose this career path is because sometimes the tedist things can end up in a very satisfying place.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like having that hyped moment after completing a task of like your Aaron from Warren, Pennsylvania, PA is yes, yes, what else could it be? Are there any other states? To start with? P Good evening Bombinos out of the fab five Virginia Jeff Jeff, Mike who is the best gamer also who also best at games? Aaron from Warren, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: I think Mike is the best at games in that you put a game in front of him, I think he's going to figure out before anyone. Yeah, But like I was like, in terms of best gamer, I think that like it's there's so many different things where so one of us is going to be out in front of the other. Like we could put a leaderboard in any game, and I don't I really don't know who would come out on. Yeah, they just be like who can dedicate the most amount of time too.
Speaker 4: I think to put into terms that you know, some people will understand, I think he's kind of like the Justin Wong of the group, where it's just like he's playing so many games, a variety of them, Like there's there's a little bit of natural skill with like being like good reactions and like mashing something good processing.
Speaker 1: I think he just processes information.
Speaker 4: Exactly where it's like he's just good at rioting games. For me, it's more specialized of like yeah, you know, I'll speed run a game that I really love, or I'll play a lot of runs of something that I love. That's how game into like higher level Super Mario sixty four, crazy Taxi stuff like that. But I think Mike is definitely more like the Swiss Army Knife of he's good a bunch of things.
Speaker 3: So he's really liking this. He's nodding a lot as we're talking about how good as a game Quiet.
Speaker 1: It's like it's everything he wants to hear.
Speaker 3: I think Mike is the best gamer and also the most gamer. Yes, he's definitely the only one that could do a gag.
Speaker 1: I disagree. I know what you mean, Danny, It's all right, gang Uh. Moving on. We have two very lengthy emails about recommendations. One is in regards to SKA Mace from Tacoma, Washington, right Sin, Hey, Gang. I enjoyed the SKA discussion dis Goosh from the Dumb Truck this week. I'm a lifelong fan of the genre, and as I was listening, I remembered an email from some time ago where your listener recommended some metal albums for the crew based on their personalities. As a lifelong fan of both Skankin and Giant Bomb, I figured I could do some the same for music's most unfairly maligned punk subgenre. Backlar, you know your stuff about third waves, third wave and early two thousands, So I'm gonna make a recommendation from the modern scene. Kill Lincoln and their twenty twenty album Can't Complain. It's got a bit more of a punk edge that I think will appeal to your Alkaline Trio sensibilities, and I'll give you the bragging rights of being able to name drop another cool band most people haven't heard of Jan as a pop punker at heart, I gotta go with Jeff Rosenstock's twenty twenty one scot Dream, a Scott Hell Yeah reimagining of his excellent twenty twenty pop punk record No Dream You Want Millennial Sad Boy. No one does it better than Jeff Rosenstock. He takes the unfortunate economic realities and mental health struggles of our lives in this increasingly fascist society and turns it into bangers. Oh that's the Little Guy A little too real for me, Mace Grub. You mentioned only being tangentially aware of Streetlight Manifesto, So for you, I recommend their two thousand and three album Everything Goes Numb, one of my favorite albums of all time of any genre. It's frantic sounds and striking lyrics will probably hit you in the right spots for your ADHD brain to keep it engaged just as it does with mine was.
Speaker 5: What was the name of the album again, Everywhere Everything Goes Numb? Thank you, street Light manifesto.
Speaker 1: And if the themes of Baby Steps really resonated with you, songs like a better Place, a Better Time and Point Slash Counterpoint will likely do the same. Manadi, Hey, I feel your ska awareness is mostly tied to Tony Hawk's pro Skater two, so I'll recommend a recent album with a sound that captures those vibes. Jar's two thousand and three album Bothered Slash Unbothered. That's JR J E R Yes, which is a very high energy and very socially conscious. So you don't have to worry about getting canceled again. Now, if the album doesn't work, that's what again he gets stress. And if the album doesn't totally work for you, I at least recommend Jairr's YouTube channel, SKA two Network, where they make ska covers, a video game music, cartoon theme songs and more. Very good. Finally, Dan, I gotta say I was surprised. Dan surprised Dan to learn is a fan of Scott in any.
Speaker 3: Capacity because it's frist I'm not is.
Speaker 1: The kind of thing he rolls his eyes against ad for not being cool guy stuff. I know Dad is express fun. It's for heavier bands like Queens of the Stone Age and Masdon So. I recommend the nineteen ninety six landmark debut record of The Suicide Machines Destruction by definition. You'll definitely learn now album the song new Girl from the original Tony Hoksper Skater that's also got jams as Hey Van's song Sos break the Glass a high energy, good time from front to back. Keep up the good work and never Scop stop skanking Mace from Tacoma, Washington.
Speaker 5: Wow, Wow, Wow, what a tremendous, tremendous email, just validating SKA fans worldwide.
Speaker 6: The scot Tune Network cover the Inspector Gadget theme song is very good.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, network is great. I do I do love him Dan.
Speaker 5: There's got to be something sca Adjason you've enjoyed, like Chicago or something.
Speaker 3: The thing is, when Skott was big, I was peak Paul Recherd only like Scared and the Stones are good. And so when I saw kids in my junior high wearing like Blink one eighty two shirts or the skanking, there's like a skankin Bunny, and I remember thinking like, this seems like it's some stuff that people that smoke weed would like.
Speaker 1: Scary you called the cops on it.
Speaker 3: I thought about it, but yeah, yeah, yeah I did give the side eye to Sky, but it was Scott. But I also did that with any John anything post seventy eight. So yeah, now I'm more open mind. And now I bet I remember seeing something like snls were like the Mighty Mighty Bostones would be on. I bet that's catchy, you know. So yeah, I think the potential is there for me to like it. I just yeah, trombones fantastic, Like horns too.
Speaker 1: A horn section always makes me happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I love James Brown and there's a lot of horns going.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, hey, friend of the show, go listen to Peter Septic's new album Very Sad Boy Bangers and there's some horns in that. Jesh, Yeah, really doing awesome, A cool guy. I think it's a very cool dude. All right, two more emails here, This comes from John. This question is really just for Mike. Sorry everyone. Yeah, I'm staying at Animal Kingdom Resort next year. On Mike got weird, his mouth did it move either.
Speaker 4: So weird.
Speaker 1: I'm staying at the Animal Kingdom Resort next year for my first ever on property Disney vacation. Do you have any good tips, tricks or rex for the Animal Kingdom launch and how to best use my time there and experiences we have to do. My daughter will be for when you travel.
Speaker 6: Thanks John, Oh, okay, your daughter's gonna be four. There's great restaurants at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and your daughters for the buffet, Boma might be your best bets.
Speaker 1: I went. I had breakfast at Boma.
Speaker 6: It was very nice. I feel like you for more of a date night thing. Uh uh jigu the Jicu right yeah. The eating place is good Sonaw which is over a little bit other part of the hotel. That's the Kadani Village. The Jambo House is the main section Kadani Village. You might ta get in a little shuttle, but that's where Sanat is. That's a great restaurant that has very good bread service. You get a bunch of different non breads and different dips for them. If you you know, if you don't have the view into the savannah where the animals are roaming around, just make sure you go to some places around hotel where you can look around at that. Keep in mind that if you're going to theme parks from that hotel, travel time can be a little bit long because you've got to use buses. There's no monorail or any other fun transportation. It's just buses. But don't be intimidated. Buses are very very convenient. That's what we had to do, and it was very convenient. And if for some reason you're like, oh, but we got to really make sure we get to this theme park in the next ten minutes, then get it left to get an uber, pay like, you know, fifteen bucks for that.
Speaker 2: If you're a little bit court. It's a little bit tough with a four year olds, especially with a small kid. The car seats, but you can also in that area there are going to be ubers that will have car seats.
Speaker 1: You can request that in the app.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if they have their own things in the lift. If the lyft specifically has something called mini vans, you.
Speaker 1: Can that are made for the those things.
Speaker 6: But yeah, just in general, when you're saying at resort, make sure you give yourself some time to hang out the resort.
Speaker 1: Get Zebra domes. You can find them at some of the quick service things. They are called Mara even maybe the gift shop is. They're a specialty dessert item. They look like little zebra shaped kind of shaped but pattern desserts. They kind of taste a little teara massoui. They're very good gets like.
Speaker 6: Real zebras, just like what real zebras tastes like.
Speaker 2: Also, go to try to do the Tusker House character dinner that was at the theme park.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 2: That the part. Yes, that's the Animal Kingdom theme park. But yes, so when you're when you're there, try to make that happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Good. So, speaking about animals, I watched z Utopia too over the weekend. I haven't seen how's that the movie's too horny? The movies really actually like for shootings like Twitter talk, I guess see it. I see Wicked for good finally, but I haven't seen Zutopia too, which I thought it was. Okay, there we go, Sorry all right. Final email of the show comes from b Hi jan As a fellow at least for the last two decades. Bay Arian Yadada, who has been a bookseller for years. Thank you for talking shit. About forty eight laws book. At the top of episode nine nineteen, that's some fascist shit for Sheezy shouts out to Keek to Sneak. Oh you for real? For real? Then if it's a podcast, If it's a podcast, email long time, first time as an independent bookseller. A big part of my job is recommending books two people I've just met. Having listened to some of y'all for over a decade now, I figured I could pair you each books you definitely won't read but would really enjoy if you did. Backlar We Do Not Part by Han Kang the snowiest, most depressing novel I've read in years. It's medalist, snowest snowiest. I don't know what that means. It's metalist fuck and beautifully written. It also cares about people who hate fascists. Minati Small Fires by Rebecca May Johnson. This book is about how cooking straight from the recipe is good. Actually, as someone who tends to agree with you when you talk about food YouTube, I think you might find this surprisingly compelling, as I did. Grub pala Alto by Malcolm Harris. It's the history of Silicon Valley but also capitalism over the last century tech history that's not afraid of talking about everything from Leland Stanford's horses to anti IBM bombings. I own this on audible already. Listen to it and I'll help put it to the top of the queue. Reikert Dyke Parentheses Geology by Sabrina Imbler a chap book about volcanoes and geology and being gay. I think you'd find it interesting and funny. A choa. These are all secretly also Jan recommendations, but for a bespoke wreck Majong by Nicole Wong is a pretty breezy read about the game that also quietly about Asian diaspora's relationship to games. I have read this already, Thank you. B Bonus. Racks Grayson After Accountability by Pinko Collective gay, anti anti author authoritarian community communists talking to people about how to understand movements building right now. It's in the community. The way I feel like Nikki is McDowell. Turboschan strike me. Strikes me as someone who appreciates technique tightly displayed. Claire Keegan's Small Things Like This is a beautiful novella that's absolutely impeccable at the craft level. Zimmer held. All I really know about Chucktowski is that he's thrown himself into the impossible task of making giant bomb dot com work. So I'm gonna say Tom's Crossing by Mark Z Daniel Luski, a twelve hundred page western about riding two horses set for slaughter over a mountain people can barely climb with petons in order to set them free, as my favorite book of the year, ashtag I fuck with Chuck parentheses, YouTube, grub best b and that does it. For emails, BombCast john bomb dot com is email. Just to send your emails to thank you for all the recommendations. I love those, They're all great. I love finding new music, being recommended books I don't know recommend.
Speaker 4: Recommend some music to me. Jan I got the r L here TinyURL dot com. Slash gb Music twenty five. I've only got that ready for ever so many your music, your discussions.
Speaker 1: That's right, a lowercase because I think, yeah, yeah, gotcha. Uh definitely. Folks, help Sean. If you got any bangers from this year, whether it's the score or songs from games from twenty twenty five, please send them Sean's way if you want them represented. As we go listen to them that will be part of the Game of the Year podcasts.
Speaker 4: One more Time TinyURL dot com, slash GB Music twenty five.
Speaker 1: GB Music twenty five. There you go, mister Minati, you got any super chats? Wait due from Andres R three or five Miami. Does Mike get coal for being the bad boy gaming?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: I get coal, charcoal, and I put it in my grill and I'll make some chasty fat bruskit.
Speaker 1: So that's it. I'm a good boy. What's that voice? Bitch?
Speaker 6: Eleanor Walking says, did Jeff fight his baby steps? And Skater die? And I still I think by skater die they mean a skate story. Skater dies a much older game. And I still want to know what Mike's favorite melon would be if he had to choose one.
Speaker 1: Melons are all pretty bad. They have a lot of water content. I really just watermelon has the most for sure, But I think actually would still do watermelon, like if I canilope, deeply upsetting? Have you had?
Speaker 4: Even?
Speaker 6: I almost thought that that said, it's ridiculous, deeply upset it that one smells.
Speaker 1: I really just like the smell Candalope. No, I just smelled it, and I'm unimpressed.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, I have no problem with what you don't like, but when you judge without trying is what bothers my son.
Speaker 4: So salt the can. That sounds good.
Speaker 5: Soldier Fruit Gang, salt your fruit like an apple a day, keeps the doctor.
Speaker 1: I salt back. You're always anti salt.
Speaker 3: I mean on fruit. That's amazing.
Speaker 4: Yes, salt like that.
Speaker 1: I just never thought I would salt the fruits. Okay, No, do it on a pineapple. It's good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, salt is awesome. Sprinkle uh see.
Speaker 6: Brahma says this is my favorite Nintendo Adult podcast, but Grubs, going back to Antony Morell, says, I went to a bad high school. I think I had fifty somethings. Absence is just from cutting class. I used to cut class just because I had to take a dump penis see.
Speaker 1: I feel like, oh yeah, if.
Speaker 6: I had cut class like choice, I almost certainly would have just like they would have just called my parents and I'd be in a ton of trouble and that would be it. Like, I don't think there was any getting away with it.
Speaker 1: Mike. Same in high school for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, the trick is you get into the Gifted program where you could do independent study. You take four of your seven hours a day as independent study where you're supposed to be editing videos, but then get kicked out of the video production lab because your things you watch too many Tarantino movies and your short films are too violent, and then you got four hours a day where no one knows where the fuck you are, so you're at funk holand all.
Speaker 1: Right, well that's that sounds a little bit different. Yeah, okay, just.
Speaker 3: Trying to walk out of like math classes.
Speaker 2: I definitely like stuck out a window a couple of times to go get donuts for the class, and everyone was very.
Speaker 1: Exciting, like that's it. Yeah, I was wasn't driving back then anyways, I would have got I don't know where i'd go.
Speaker 6: Aggy says, Happy birthday, Mike. I ran over an Apple with my car and thought of you. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: That's so nice. Appreciate that. Zombie Porn says, I need to hand it to Sean when he talks about games, really informative and you could tell he knows the ship also is Jan Okay? Should I venmo him five dollars? No, don't stop stop being me money.
Speaker 2: Also, we were talking about this episode, we like we should Sean should just be on here to talk about that, right.
Speaker 1: It was a no brainer.
Speaker 6: Appreciate Jadakat, says Mike. I don't want to say like that, Mike, look at me. Get yourself a Dingus library card. I had a libry card. I have a bit to a library in a moment.
Speaker 3: I got my first library card since the nineties the other day because my county was doing special edition Prince ones because Prince is from now. Oh cool, so I got a Prince library card.
Speaker 1: Cool? Yo, Why talk about libraries before they're sick of ship? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Library get books, get comic books, manga, movies, TV shows. You can stream a bunch of stuff if you about.
Speaker 1: Fiftys at a time.
Speaker 4: Who gets I don't ever printer anymore because I'm thirty, so I go to the library instead.
Speaker 3: It's great, Kendall. Will you do the libby app and then you can just down there? Yeah for free, it's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, audiobooks and all kinds of stuff. Sub libraries will also rent you out power tools really yeah, Brady printers, yeah yeah, interesting, And that's it for the super chat, Thank everybody, Thank you everyone for listening to the show. Once again, Sean hit him with a tiny url to submit musical selection and make it really tiny this time.
Speaker 4: TinyURL dot com slash gb music twenty five as the number two and the number five.
Speaker 1: Thank you. When a're we putting that episode out. We're doing that after.
Speaker 4: We haven't decide when we'll put it out because it requires a lot of editing. I really, I really want to make it special this year. I want to be the episode I've always wanted to be about the pressure to stream it, orything like that. Yeah, so it will be a pre record episode that I'm going to I'm gonna do some fun stuff but people see. But I would imagine it'll be the last week of December somewhere in there.
Speaker 1: Just because I'm saying don't give me money, that doesn't mean that I'm giving money away. Dan record what you said? You're right, You're right, folks. What we got going all the rest of this week? Game This Morning's popping off Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Right grub, that's right, we'll be back all week. Blake Club returns this week. Mikey is hitting the back lot again. Now we all feel the same.
Speaker 3: I'm loving it.
Speaker 1: I don't know you're I mean, normal humans feel the same. Yeah, Backlara, you look like you got Ben starred for a moment. Oh really Yeah, you're exposure just fresh light. That's so strange downstairs where with the even find.
Speaker 3: Trying to get trying to get some runs in this is the run.
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely, I was watching Yesdays Run. I think you both should try getting hit less.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely had a bad moment there where like, oh, there's sometimes in a game where it's I'll get on a wavelength of like I'm in my own rhythm and then the enemy will get into that rut and I'll be like, oh no, they're just gonna.
Speaker 1: Hit me every time, and I like figure shirts out. Yeah. We also got a voicemail DUNB Truck on Thursday u p F. This week we were doing Ultimate Sheep Raccoon Raccoon Cheap. What is Ultimate Sheep Raccoon the sequel to Ultimate Chicken Horse that's out now.
Speaker 2: It's on Game Pass, but I'm get us the rest of the team coats and all that. But yeah, we'll be playing that on you PF on Friday.
Speaker 3: Did we mention the tvas.
Speaker 1: I'm about to do that now. This Thursday, we will be talking over these lovely gentlemen. We'll be talking over the game awards, including the pre show.
Speaker 3: Yes, including I'm chilling a bottle of champagne right now. I'm going to crack that. Last year, you guys were in the free show and I just kind of stood around and watched Crazy Ship. We did do that last sandwiches.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Oh my gosh, a year ago.
Speaker 1: Holy, I know.
Speaker 2: I just loved yelling across the room to a line of pierced sandwich Award winning video game artist because she.
Speaker 1: Was one of our winners there and that was a good time.
Speaker 3: She didn't the theater.
Speaker 1: No, Dan, I forget his h dave aushry. You just handed him, can't take sandwich? Cut off the elephant, Like that's the one that people with the lobby.
Speaker 4: So yeah, he like shook a fist at you and yelled, goddamn giant bomb.
Speaker 3: That's the one that wound up in was it CD Project Red's hotel room?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it went everywhere.
Speaker 4: I think Andy Robinson got food poisoning off of that or something. It was great, wow, you know, and.
Speaker 1: Hey should have been a camera in that thing. I will be there at the Game awards. So if you know we're mutuals, if you're a friend of the site or whatever, please say I don't be a stranger and maybe you'll get a buzzball thrown your way. Who does whoa wow? Not sponsored? They should be at this point. What the buzzballs? See that sheets has like some like holiday buzzball. I've been so many of the ones. Yeah, yeah, no, they got a separate one too. Now all right, folks, I think that about does it. Once again. We're going to be recording game of your podcasts next week. So next week is going to be a little bit funky as we sort out our plans for the rest of the holidays. But gang anything else we got to talk about before the guests break? Do you hang on?
Speaker 4: They're called balls on the walls, thelf, on the window.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, you've heard of elf on the shelf, well about.
Speaker 1: On a sperm recently? Okay, all right, that about does it for the show. We'll be back in some form next week. Just out please, he's been shown, he's the Jeff, he's been deaf, he's been Mike, he's been Dan i've been Jim shouts out to Chuck. Check out the new website. Patience all Chuck shorts it all out. We love you. We'll see you next week for another episode of The Giant Buckets. Dude f