Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get the five o'clock hours started here on a Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Been a fun show so far.
Speaker 2: Not sure what we've accomplished, but if you've been with us, thank you, and if you're joining us now welcome. We'll finish stronger, at least attempt to. We had some big news that broke right before the show today that I don't know if it everybody's everybody's level of what is considered big news, how big certain news is, It's all up to your own opinion. But when it comes to college sports being such a free for all in recent years and really just being a mess, probably more so than a lot of us even realize. I mean a lot of people around here follow it so closely that you do realize it. However, we're gonna watch it no matter what, because if you're a big time Louisville fan or a big time Kentucky fan, I mean, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Really sure what college sports could do or.
Speaker 2: What environment could be going on to where you would be completely out. I mean, I don't even know if you could quit it if you tried right. So, if you are just tunnel vision only keeping up with what's going on with your team, I'd say you're not You're not.
Speaker 3: Alone.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's many people that do it that way. But overall, when it comes to the national conversation around in college sports, it's a mess, an absolute mess, because of NIL and the transfer portal. And it's not because those two things exist, it's because there's really no regulation. It's out of control. As some say, it's the wild, wild West. How many times have you heard that over the years, And it's for good reason, because it's true. And I think the NCAA they're ultimately at fault for never ever wanting to budge from their archaic amateurism model that we now know was not sustainable and it should have been revisited long ago, but they wouldn't budge, so it blew up in their face, where now they're trying to get some guardrails out there, trying to have things regulated. But these schools realize now that the nc DOUBLEA doesn't really have a right legally to tell you what you can and can't do in certain aspects, So you just hire a lawyer, or maybe you've got your maybe.
Speaker 3: You're not hiring, or maybe you already have one.
Speaker 2: I mean, you probably have counsel, right, So I think what they've realized is this nc DOUBLEA. I guess the House versus NCAA settlement that's been ongoing for a while. It just seems as if they're trying to finalize some things. It's an endless battle with the legal system with courts. So the big news is that the nc DOUBLEA president Charlie Baker, who recently in the last couple of years whenever it was to go from Mark Emritt, he has confirmed that the Power Conferences and not the nc DOUBLEA, will be in charge of enforcing rules created by this House versus n CUABA settlement over athlete compensation. So the NCUBA has said, you guys, figure it out.
Speaker 3: We don't have.
Speaker 2: The resources or really the ability legally to do it on our end.
Speaker 3: So what's happened?
Speaker 2: And I'm not sure who really put this in motion, but I'd love to know because I do think this, if it can get worked out, if everybody can agree to be on the same page, this will be a really good thing. So it broke last night by I believe Ross Dellinger of Yahoo Sports, who put it out there that the nc DOUBLEA, I'm sorry, not the NCAA, but the Power four Conferences have drafted a contract that they want all these schools within the Power four, the acc SEC, Big ten, Big twelve, they want them to all sign an agreement that they're going to follow these new rules that collectively the four conferences are going to enforce.
Speaker 3: And this is going to require these schools to waive the right to.
Speaker 2: Sue over decisions, because if in fact, you don't follow the rules that are put out there, you'll be held accountable, There'll be punishment, there'll be a standard process for how you are dealt with. And if you signed the agreement that you won't sue, then you got to you got to follow the rules. So the document is described as an affiliation or a membership agreement. It's not finalized, but a draft of it has been distributed to dozens of school presidents, general counsel and athletic directors, and there's been some pushback against the concepts, and those concepts apparently are being refined the ones that there was pushback on, and it's meant to be signed by all seventy plus Power Conference schools as well as other schools that want to opt into the settlement as a way to bind the group and provide stability around the enforcement of these rules, including in il GO clearinghouse and LBI cap management system. And this I don't it's hard for me to imagine this all came together really really quickly. But there was a new Tennessee state in IL law that was unearthed last week that gives you an example of why the agreement is necessary to have the stability and regulation in this rev share era of college sports. Because Tennessee they're in IL law. Was is put out there just to keep them from being able to say, you know, you know that there's a cap on money you can spend right And again that's why I keep saying, I think it would be an endless battle. I think there's always going to be a way in which you can you can sue and take it to court and say there's no reason, there's no reason that they can they that there there's no reason the NCAA would be able to tell us we can't pay this player this money, regardless if it's coming from us directly or if it's coming from a booster or whatever it may be. So Tennessee is saying, look, we believe we've got enough money here within our support system rather it be donors, boosters, whatever, to where we don't want to agree to this because we actually believe we could have the deepest pockets out there and that can help us. And I get it, there's really no harm in that, but some's got to give. So what this does is it it puts you in a position to where if you're if you want to be against it and you don't want to agree. I don't know how they would do this, but apparently you can get kicked out of your conference again. That's one that I don't understand how you'd be able to do that.
Speaker 3: But what do I know? I mean, I would say that those involved in.
Speaker 2: This process are well aware of what you would be legally allowed to do and what you wouldn't be allowed to do. I mean, I guess you can if we woke up today and found out that Josh Hurd decided to call every athletic director in the ACC and say, yeah, we need to take a vote, we need to boot Boston College. They like I think I think that I think you can do that. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that actually happened. I think who was it.
Speaker 3: That got kicked out? Was it Boston College? You got kicked out of the Big East.
Speaker 2: Somebody got kicked out of the Big East at one point, and it was it was quite literally a yeah, we all agree, you're out. We don't You're holding You're holding those back in some way. So this is huge. It may not be something that really is on your radar, because again, if your tunnel vision is just whatever happens and whatever relates to your team, that's probably what a lot of college sports fans uh are doing.
Speaker 3: And I get it.
Speaker 2: But for the future of college athletics, there needs to be some level of regulation.
Speaker 3: And it can no longer. I mean I say it can no longer. Maybe it can. I'm not sure, what do I know, but it's best.
Speaker 2: For everybody if the objects of college sports is not what it's been the last few years.
Speaker 3: I argue that this that that certain.
Speaker 2: Sports, specifically basketball and even football to an extent, I think are better off in this new world because you're getting players to stick around and play longer than they used to. That alone is benefiting the product better, players sticking around seeing the college path as a more attractive thing for a longer period of time. Again, that makes the product better. In IL gives you free agency. Not only is it good for programs who want to be able to make a big roster change every year if need be, they can do that. Players can start fresh elsewhere. They don't have to just say, well, I'm going to stay here forever because I don't want to have to sit out a season.
Speaker 3: So we'll see where this goes from here. I haven't seen much.
Speaker 2: Updates since since the show started, but that is a big piece of news. And I know a lot of us around here college sports it's really all we care about. I mean, I know the NFL is king, and I'm sure there's some NBA fans out there, maybe some Major League Baseball fans out there. I mean, I'm sure there are, I just don't know a lot of them.
Speaker 3: But we care about.
Speaker 2: UFL basketball, football, all UFL sports. Clearly a ton of people care about UK football, UK basketball, all UK sports, and I don't see a scenario where like those would ever not exist. But there needs to be some level of regulation and guidelines, guardrails. If you will and it sounds like we're getting that and that's a good thing, all right. If you guys want to take us with you wherever you go, you can. You can listen live on the iHeart Radio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. Sticking with college hoops here, the commitment yesterday from Mohammed Kamara came out of nowhere. And I don't say that to be critical, because I mean I'd never heard of the kid before I found out he'd committed to Louisville yesterday. He's a raw prospect, a guy that definitely gives you just some more depth and some more pieces in your front court. Although he's not super big. I mean he's sixty seven six a depending on where you look, very raw, definitely going to be someone that benefits from the weight room here at u of L. But you've got spots open and he's certainly going to take one, and that's a good sign. Obviously, he won't fill a void if it's there with Ali Khalifa, but you at least now have another member of your front court.
Speaker 3: And it's not.
Speaker 2: Necessarily something we're used to to where you just out of nowhere find out that a player's committed and nobody really knew who he was. I don't think it was quite the same level with Sonny Threw, although I will admit I didn't. I don't think I knew much about the guy till the day he committed, or maybe I don't even know if i'd heard of him before. Then. I'm very happy with what I do know about him. I think he's going to come in and really help Louisville this year. But I think when you get to this time of year, maybe annually, you're going to see coach is just trying to because you Coaches used to not use a scholarship on a player unless they really really felt for sure that that guy. I mean, you never know for sure, but you felt good about this guy fitting with what you wanted to do, fitting your culture, being able to develop and be a good player to help you win. And that's why you would see coaches previously leave scholarships open if they couldn't find somebody, because they weren't going to offer a guy just to offer a guy. And that made sense then, but now you have no real risk of having a guy join your program because if it doesn't work, out in a year, you can move on from him, and he can move on from you, and you know the scholarships available again, like leaving scholarships open now this day and age, lily don't make a lot of sense. Now, you may get to the point where you simply know there's nobody that you believe will help you, although I find that hard to believe. But then again, binding players that are willing to come in and be a guy that se finding a player to come and commit to you, and they've got other options when they can clearly see that they're not going to be in the rotation right away. I mean that that's an easier thing to turn down now for these players because they can now say, yeah, I love that you're offering me, but I know you got three guys at my position in the front quarter in the back court that I'm going to be behind. So I'm going to go to a different score that is lower level than yours, maybe even mid major, maybe just a place that I know I can play early on, and then if it works out the way I hope it does, I'll bounce up and maybe you'll want me.
Speaker 3: Then.
Speaker 2: I mean that's a path you might see guys take So I just think guys randomly ending up on your roster in late May early June wouldn't shock me if he becomes somewhat of an annual thing, And for Kentucky, I feel like that's kind of happening now. I won't speak like I know a lot about this young man, because I don't, But I did hear a little bit of KSR this morning and Matt and his crew were talking about Braden Hawthorne, a top forty ish freshman to be that is now down to it looks like he's gonna choose between Kentucky, Duke Pittsburgh, West Virginia and Virginia Tech.
Speaker 3: And I don't think he's really been on the radar a whole lot.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe he's been somebody they've been recruiting and keeping an eye on. But man, once you start to initially put your roster together, outside of the elite recruits that are freshmen, most the guys you're talking about are trendsfer portal guys, and that's the way it's going to be moving.
Speaker 3: Forward, and that's the way it should be.
Speaker 2: So Kentucky get ended up with a kid who needs a six to eight. Wing goes to Huntington Prep from West Virginia. I believe he was committed to West Virginia decommittee when they made a coaching change and is now still considering them. But this could be just another guy. I mean again, Kentucky and Louisville could be kind of in a similar situation, not not exactly the same, but a very similar situation. And back to back days where the coaching staff is just trying to finalize that roster. They look, they're they're available, They're looking at what's available out there. They know who's who's you know, who's left in the portal. They know which players from the high school ranks are still available. And I think you can be a little you can be a little you know, you can take more of a risk this late in the game, because again, if it doesn't work out, what's the harm. You can move on after a year. I mean, I guess the harm would be bringing in somebody that could be like detrimental to your team as far as like the culture in that. But I feel like you'd be able to weed that out pretty quickly or maybe realize if that was going to be a concern. So he's gonna make his decision at seven o'clock, and who knows, maybe he does. And this is another thing. I'm not poking at Kentucky here by any means. But if this kid who's a six to seven wing, if he decided to commit to Pittsburgh or even West Virginia over Kentucky. You know, in a previous world, that would be unheard of. Right but not now, because this kid may see, Look, I can go be the twelfth guy on Kentucky's bench and maybe then get an opportunity to play in year two. Or I can go play right away at a place like Pittsburgh or West Virginia or Virginia Tech, and if I'm as good as I think I am, it'll show and then I'll transfer after a year and maybe I can then end up at Kentucky. Like that would be an understandable decision, like I if I you know, everybody's different, but if I was a freshman in this sort of in this situation. By now, programs like Duke in Kentucky, their roster's pretty set. They may have an opening there and they may want you to come in and take one of those final spots.
Speaker 3: But you can read the room.
Speaker 2: You know where you stand, you know where you fall in the pecking order, and there's nothing wrong with going and being okay with a very minor role in your first year because you still get a good experience. You're playing for a big brand, but you're probably gonna be on the bench, and yeah, you might get better in practice, but I feel like the best way to get better is actual repetition, playing in games, real minutes. So if it was me, I would have no problem in bypassing an offer from a Duke or a Kentucky to be the top guy you know to be, to be, you know, one of the last guys to get in the game, a guy that clearly has to potentially beat out guys that are three four years older than me.
Speaker 3: I would go to a not a D two school or a mid major.
Speaker 2: But if I had options to go to a place where I know it won't be quite as competitive as a freshman to get minutes, that's what I would do. I mean, Jeremiah Fears, He's the kid from Oklahoma who was a freshman last year, and you know, I don't know what his what his offers looked like. I can pull it up here and he's you know, he's the first that comes to mind for me as somebody that that nagain, he went to Oklahoma. It wasn't like he went to Oklahoma Teck or some never heard of school, but he was. He was ranked the sixty fifth player in the class last year. So when he decided to go to Oklahoma, he chose Oklahoma over Providence, Tennessee and Crayton. So you know, he wasn't somebody that was probably being pursued by the big schools at all. And I would imagine that maybe, you know, and by the way, here the schools Arizona, Tennessee, Providence, Creighton, like those were the schools along with Oklahoma that recruited him, And maybe he thought to himself, I got a better chance of getting on the floor right away at Oklahoma, so I'm gonna go there. And maybe in that moment he's thinking to himself, Okay, this will give me a chance to get some good minutes and then I can hit the portal and then jump up and play right away at a bigger school. Not that Oklahoma's some small school, but you know what I mean. Well, now he was so good at Oklahoma after his freshman season, I mean, if you look at the mock drafts here, he's right now projected to be the seventh pick in the draft. Now that's hard to replicate, right, I mean, to go from a kid that's not top fifty and then go as a freshman and then turn into a lottery pick, that's very difficult to do.
Speaker 3: It happens, But I just think.
Speaker 2: It would be hard for somebody to argue with me that the portal is in a better situation for everybody involved. The only people that can claim it's not would be probably fans or coaches who are mad their players are leaving but you don't own them like they can do whatever they want. Anybody claiming they should just have to stay because you want them on your team or you want to coach them as the coach, Say that out loud and give it a listen, See how you sound. I mean, it's insane and what I think used.
Speaker 3: To be a legitimate.
Speaker 2: Argument to be made, and it still can be a legitimate argument, and that is that these guys just being able to leave whenever they want and running from adversity because they didn't have to fight and work hard to compete to get to a better position on the depth chart or whatever it may be. You're not wrong about some of these guys. Now again, the argument about a guy who goes to a like, for example, one of Louisville's you know, one of Louisville's biggest editions, I mean, in fact, depending on where. In fact, I think all of all of the rankings out there as far as transfer portal guys have Adrian Wooley as Louisville's best edition via the portal from he went to Kennesau State for a year as a freshman and became an All conference player, one of the best freshmen in the country. Anybody claiming he should have to stay there, like what, no other than just claiming that he should have to because you want them to play for your team if your team is Kennessall State. So he's not somebody that's running from adversity. He's trying to help himself, he's trying to better himself. Why would anybody be against that because it might make your team not as good next year? Which again, like that's I mean say that out loud, it's you know you're not in You don't own these players. They can do what they want. They don't have to play for you because they just decided to. So there may be players that learned after four years of college instead of just realizing they needed to get better or maybe they weren't as good as they thought they'd be, instead of embracing whatever role that that came to them, they just kept running because they thought, Okay, this coach is wrong, this coach is wrong. You may be right that they are running from adversity, and they won't.
Speaker 3: They won't, really, they won't.
Speaker 2: They won't have that moment to build their character, all that corny stuff that you hear, and again, for certain players that may be the case. But what's different is that doesn't make it right. It doesn't make it to where you should just they should be forced to stay. So I know I've said this many many times, and I can already be repetitive as it is, but college sports has changed so much in like the last three or four years.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, and.
Speaker 2: I'm maybe it's what I'm just choosing to believe, but I do think it's changed for the better, especially if there finally ends up being some real regulation in rules and everybody has to abide by them. And it sounds like we're getting close to that. All right, let's get a quick break. We'll come back on the other side. A lot more to get into, including Netflix has given us the most watched series of all time on their platform. And as somebody who likes to claim, you know that I really love binging original shows, documentaries on all the different streaming platforms. I feel like a real fraud because I have not watched a single one of the top ten for Netflix. We'll talk about that next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 2: Good about thirty minutes left here on a Tuesday afternoon. Thanks for hanging out with us. I do want to go. Also give a big thank you to my friends over at the Louisville Men's Clinic. Shout out to doctor Wood and everybody else did they got a great team. I'll have to get out there in the next couple of weeks from my checkup, my lab work, and always looking forward to seeing the fine folks there at the Louisville Men's Clinic. And I want you to know there's a lot of ways they can help you when it comes to a Rechtada's function. They've got a lot of different ways they can treat that. For me, it was low testosterone. I did not even really know what that meant. When I hear testosterone, I mean I thought, I mean, I guess I had some level of awareness of what that was. But when it's low, I just assume, well that, I mean, I'll be in it. I'll be honest, I was an idiot. I just assumed that maybe ED and low T are the same thing, and they're not at all completely different. Low testosterone is way more common than anybody would probably realize. That was the case for me, I think for a good chunk of my early thirties, I just assumed that that's life, and it really hits you hard when you're going from being, you know, in your twenties to being in your early thirties. It wasn't anything drastic, but just not getting the same results in the gym, feeling lethargic at times, just being completely wiped out at the end of the day for no real reason. Wasn't as if I ran a marathon or anything. I would just be completely exhausted, and I just felt like I'd lost my edge a little bit. And I chalked it up too, well, it's life. You're getting older, and sure enough, when you hear more and more from others like myself in my age range that realized they had testosterone levels that were not where they're supposed to be, I but you know what, we might as well, I might as well reach out to one of our clients, one of our partners here, and that's what I did.
Speaker 3: And I was educated by.
Speaker 2: Doctor Wood as far as what low testosterone means, how it can affect you, when it can potentially affect you. And I thought, okay, this might exactly, this might be exactly what I'm dealing with. This may be why I'm starting to get some belly fat, starting to get man boobs, starting to just you know, not get the results that I'm putting in in the gym. And it wouldn't as if I was lifting like a bodybuilder, but I was putting it, putting in time to try to take care of myself, trying to eat, not on a crazy healthy diet, but you know, watch what I eat. But I wouldn't get in the results. So they checked my levels and that's when I realized that my levels were not where they're supposed to be for somebody my age, And yes, you can get your levels checked by your physician, and they're going to view they're going to really only have when it comes to them bringing it to you as if you've got something wrong with you that really, I mean, I shouldn't say that. It's not possible. And trust me, I'm not somebody that's that's fit to talk about this stuff.
Speaker 3: In medical terms.
Speaker 2: But your levels being so alarming that your doctor would bring it up, would would be It's a real rare thing to happen. But your levels should be in a certain range dependent upon your age, and that's that's what a lot of men don't realize. So my levels were at the level of where you know, somebody old enough to be my grandpa, I mean, kind of exaggerating, but kind of not so now. But I've got my levels balanced to where they are where they should be for somebody that's thirty six. I feel like I've gotten substantially younger than I felt whenever I was in my early thirties. Now I'm about to be thirty seven. So I cannot recommend him enough. It never hurts to just go get a consultation, go take the low T test that they can provide for you, and it may change your life like you did me. So check them out online Louvimen's clinic dot com or give them a call five zho two four.
Speaker 3: Four four four thousand. All right, So.
Speaker 2: I don't feel as bad now as I've given it some thought. But I used to dedicate an entire segment on this show to talking about different shows that I was streaming and watching that I was binging and just really into. And there have been some that got brought up and talked about that were really popular with everybody, and then some that were more so, you know, not as popular. It's just something I really got into. But when I saw that Netflix has given us a top ten list for the most watched Netflix shows of all time, I assume there'd be a few in there that I've watched, you know, like Ozark. Yeah, I mean that one for sure I thought would be in there, but it's not. So I'm gonna give you the list here, Austin. Okay, can you tell me how many of these you've you've watched it all?
Speaker 4: Bet you I can guarantee, no, I won't was about I bet you I can at least guess two of them.
Speaker 2: This one I never watched and I never really had any interest. But I'm not surprised that it's in here because I knew how popular it was.
Speaker 3: Squid Game.
Speaker 4: Oh I love squid Game.
Speaker 2: So Squid Game season one is the most watched Netflix show of all time?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I remember six two and sixty five point two million views.
Speaker 4: Very good show you get. You gotta check that out.
Speaker 3: Do you think I'd like it?
Speaker 4: Well? I didn't think of that one.
Speaker 3: Like is it too? Is it too hard to keep up with? Or like what I mean?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, I mean I honestly don't even know what it's about.
Speaker 4: It's uh, it's isn't it?
Speaker 3: It's not? Is it? Is it in English?
Speaker 4: No, it's not in English. That would be your barrier if you want to watch it dubbed or.
Speaker 3: I remember why I watched dubbed subtitle.
Speaker 4: The second season I watched dub but the first the first, uh, the first one I just watched straight off of subtitles.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be honest with you, do not take this the wrong way. You loving a show that you only watched in subtitles tells me that that show really hooked you.
Speaker 4: It was pretty good. I liked it well. I also just try to like keep up with because everyone on the internet was, oh, yeah, it was a sho show. Yeah, I just watched it straight out of that night and I'm getting hooked. But love squid Game. Can't wait for the I guess the third season or the second half of the second season. I don't know what they did with the second season.
Speaker 2: So the second most watched series on Netflix and it got And by the way, these are these are all original Netflix shows, so just keep that in mind.
Speaker 3: It's a show called Wednesday. I don't know what that is.
Speaker 4: Oh, the the Jena Ortego Wednesday Adams That's what it is. Okay, I saw The Adams Family.
Speaker 3: I see it now like that.
Speaker 4: I watch like three episodes.
Speaker 3: Now, that was that popular, I guess.
Speaker 4: So I didn't know that it was a second most streamed Netflix show ever.
Speaker 2: I mean, is it kid friendly? Could could that have opened up a different.
Speaker 4: World of viewers, raunchy or anything. It's like The Adams Family with I guess like a twenty whenever it came out twenty twenty three twists. Jenner Ortega is kind of hot.
Speaker 2: Like I'm not surprised at all that that show was popular, but to see that it was. It was the second most watched show ever for Netflix. That's what I just don't understand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that that one kind of blows my mind. But that's where she really kind of blew up. That that actress, But she plays the same thing in everything she's.
Speaker 3: She plays the same thing as she played in this show.
Speaker 4: She always plays like the same off putting, like I'm sick of it teenager. She's also in Beetlejuice, the second Beetlejuice. She was in that show You if You've ever watched You, the second season of that.
Speaker 3: OK.
Speaker 4: I think that's where her really her biggest break came from Netflix from from Wednesday.
Speaker 2: So Wednesday is the second and then the second season of Squid Games is the third most watch show. So Squid Games and that doesn't really surprise me. Again, I didn't watch it, but I knew how popular it was. It wasn't as good as the first season, and then it's still good. This is a show that I think if I did sit down and watch it, I think I would like it. I just have not done it yet. But that is stranger things.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love Stranger Things one of my favorite shows ever. I'll put that my top five shows ever. Cloud me all you want?
Speaker 2: Now, are you surprised to know that it's Stranger Things season four, not in any of the other seasons, Like, I don't know what that one was the last season, right, Okay, if that's the last season, then that makes sense as to why it was so popular.
Speaker 4: It was really really I listen, I love Stranger Things, I am. I am kind of angry that it's taken like nine years to put out five seasons, but it's still pretty good.
Speaker 2: Number five is a show called Adolescence that I'm not real familiar with.
Speaker 4: I ever heard of it.
Speaker 2: It came out in Let's see it came out. It centers around a thirteen year old boy schoolboy who was arrested after the murder of a girl in his school.
Speaker 4: That sounds interesting to me, I see, I wanted to That just became popular this year.
Speaker 3: It just came out.
Speaker 4: That just came out.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, yeah, that that's insane. So it just came out and it's already in the top five, Like it must be really.
Speaker 4: Really good.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to do that.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a show my wife and I would like watching together, and I try to find shows we watched together because I can just get you know, I don't want to make she she doesn't waste her time just streaming and watching TV like I do. She can she can stay busy to and other stuff. So I could watch all this stuff and she wouldn't care. But I like, you know, introducing shows to her that she likes and we watch together, so you know, we have we have, you know, some time to you know, to just binge out and watch TV. But yeah, this one, I'm gonna put it on the list for us to h to watch here soon. Right Number six is Dahmer didn't watch it one, But I'm not surprised. I mean that that was uh, I mean that that that has gotta be Jeffrey Dahmer. Among all the serial killers we've had in society over the years, Dahmer is like that that's an endless content source for anybody, Like how many different things can they do? Television reading, documentaries made for TV series about Like there can't be another criminal serial killer that has had more content created about him than this guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's very very creepy. That's a very creepy show too. And that kid that plays him, that Evan Peters kid, he's really really good too.
Speaker 3: All right, Bridgerton, do you know what that is? I never watched it, but I know what it is, know what it is. Never watched it.
Speaker 2: Also, not surprised that it's super popular, just not necessarily what I think would be my cup of tea.
Speaker 4: I thought it would have been more popular, honestly, the Queen's Gambit. I've watched like an episode or two, but like, it didn't hook me. I've heard it was like people that watched it all the way through say, it's really good.
Speaker 3: No clue what it is. I'm looking here.
Speaker 4: It's got that one uh one chick with the wide eyes. She looks like a fish. Wasn't she in Ted too? It's Taylor Anya Anya, Taylor Joy or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's the main. She's the main.
Speaker 2: I'm sure she's listening. And we do apologize. So I do apologize to you. So Bridgerton was seven and that was season one. Season three of Bridgeston was number nine and then number number ten. Is a show that I did start, and I was gonna say I liked it, but I feel like if I liked it enough, I would have stuck with it.
Speaker 3: However, this was put it this way.
Speaker 2: This was the show that I watched dubbed that I gave the longest amount of time to see if I could get used to it without thinking, okay, I'm out, okay, Money Heist. I never watched it really popular. I don't know how many seasons they had. Looks like they had three seasons, and I remember watching the first couple of episodes and I really liked it. But I think it was around the time when I was bouncing around from different shows and I just kind of abandoned it, but I knew how popular it was.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's one of Netflix's main shows ever since they came like a straight stream money High. Seems like it's one of the shows that they always push like original programming, because you can, I guess you could deal with every Netflix original so you can go change like your avatar for like who's signing in, and it can be whatever Netflix shows that they have. I feel like they were really pushing Money Heist.
Speaker 2: Well, They're going to obviously push shows that are there that are their original programming, but a lot of the shows that I've watched on Netflix.
Speaker 3: They weren't.
Speaker 2: They didn't start there right, right, Like I really liked Shameless on Showtime.
Speaker 4: I watch couldn't get into show I'd.
Speaker 2: Probably watched the first five or six seasons of that, and then I realized it's it's now, like it's coming out every season on Showtime and I watched on Showtime. Okay, So there's a lot of Netflix introduced me to certain shows that I later learned were not originally from Netflix. Netflix didn't you. I mean, Netflix became the thing that everybody had a subscription for that you streamed. A lot of what was on there wasn't original, right, I mean, they didn't make their big I mean, they didn't make their big push to start producing their own content or basically buying productions from different production companies. They didn't start doing that until a little bit later. So and a lot of the shows that I've really really liked in recent years, it's crazy that the streaming world has been or I mean for the last ten years almost. I feel like when it comes to me getting into something new that I'm watching on any device, whether it be my iPad or TV, whatever it is, it's a streaming platform it's not a television station. I mean Apple TV. Showtime is essentially now just a part of the paramount network, I believe. But Showtime had some amazing shows that I consider some of my all time favorites. So as much as I over the years have really gotten into shows, and there's certain shows that if I couldn't stream them, I wouldn't watch them. I mean, I may tell myself that I really like it, but there's a different like there's so many shows I've enjoyed over the years that I really would consider like all time greats. I'm glad I watched it, but I think if in the previous world of having to watch it every week when a new episode comes out, I don't think I would have stuck with it. So I'm glad we now have things the way they are, and I'm also glad that you know, the new the new way of doing it really with all of them is there. They're they're going to give you four right away, then they'll give you one per week until it's over, or sometimes these streaming platforms will just give you once per week. And it's the same thing it used to be, but now you can just wait. That's what I do like, we wait and let it build and then we'll when I can binge it and it's all there for me to consume, start to finish.
Speaker 3: That's that's what I do.
Speaker 4: So I feel like you would really love Stranger Things.
Speaker 3: Okay, again, that's the old That's that's well.
Speaker 2: Stranger Things in Money Heist are the two that I feel like I need to give it a shot.
Speaker 4: I will well, now that I'm sitting there thinking about it, I might reframe it because it's it's sci fi. It's like, but if it's just enough sci fiowing kids around, you know, and I feel like I've grown up with them, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know what she's like.
Speaker 4: With what you mean for their whole duration, I think it came out like twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen maybe, and I love it. I think, especially like you said this, this past season was its most stream one. I thought it was its best season. And since they're wrapping everything up now basically with that show, it's the next season that they have is going to be the last season. Every season they came before season four, they're basically answering all the questions of how they got to this point. They're they're putting a bow on the show really nicely. I cannot wait for the last season.
Speaker 2: So the sci fi used to just be such a turn off for me, and I don't know what it is, but.
Speaker 4: Like Star Wars sci fi.
Speaker 2: And this is I don't need to be this way because I've proven myself wrong at times. But if something is so unrelatable to me, I feel like I wouldn't like it. And I'm not just talking about like sci fi or supernatural. I'm talking about like shows that are based in like in England, like right, those some of those shows are the most popular shows of all time. Again the one that just came out that we just referenced from the list Bridgerton. Yeah, and No when Wednesdays. Yeah, that's the new one, right Yeah. I mean that's clearly great and I would like it. But I'm just like, yeah, it's based in England, so I wouldn't like it. I don't know why I feel that way. I'm not anti any other country. It's not like I'm gonna be made in America or I'm not watching, but if it just seems so unrelatable, I don't think it's based in America.
Speaker 3: Oh, I could be wrong.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I just know it's based off of It's like the Adams Family.
Speaker 2: So no, no, no, not Wednesday Adolescence is what I'm saying. Oh yeah, Wednesday is not new Adolescence is the new one, right, Yes, that's when it just came out of the mark Wednesday, So I did, and I was wrong. But anyways, but one of my favorite shows, maybe my favorite show, is a show called Leftovers from HBO, and that is supernatural. Maybe some would call it sci fi, and it's it's my favorite. So like, I should give some of these shows a chance that I just because Stranger Things has that element to it, right, the sci fi is supernatural, but it's also got a lot of like you know, middle of America.
Speaker 3: Midwest relatability as far as where they grow up. If you if you mix those two things, I feel like I'd like it.
Speaker 4: I mix some of eighty soundtrack in it too, and just put yourself into that, like it will be a blast from the past.
Speaker 2: I started and liked it, and then I stopped for no real reason. And then once I got behind, I felt like a poser, like, well, I can't catch up now these guys are way ahead, I mean, and I need to stop doing that and watching in my own time. Right last break, We'll come back and wrap it up on the other side, right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: He did it again, Austin Pat Kelsey just without even trying, doing things that people share that make us realize we have a special a special guy leading the Louisville basketball program. I don't want to overdo this as if it's something crazy, but you know, there's there's a level of I think humbleness to Pat Kelsey to where you know, he's even said that at times he has to as he has to ask himself, is this real? Like is he really the head coach of the Louisville basketball program. He talked about that a little bit last week at the ACC Spring meetings. We played some of that for you, and I mean, I believe that's genuine. Maybe that's just me being a homer, but he did have quite the difference in life situation. I mean, he was a very successful coach at Charleston and living a great life obviously in a beautiful place, a no name in college basketball to those who love the sport. But he goes from the guy at Charleston for a few years to then being the guy at Louisville and clearly was one of the top candidates for National Coach of the Year one ACC Coach of the Year. So off to a great start, but he hasn't been Hope, hope it never happens. I do think that he's someone that does really preach humility, but you know it's still new to him to where this is to me a wholesome story. So at the Eyble event in Memphis this past weekend, it's the Nike eybl circuit, the biggest AAU circuit that's out there more often than not. Nike, in fact, I think always has had the best players on their circuit. And Pat Kelsey was there along with some of his staff recruiting players, just evaluating the talent that's there. And Pat Kelsey spotted Rant. Tim rant is the son, I'm sorry, is the father of John Morant. And this is from Jason Muns, who who covers recruiting for he actually he's the Memphis basketball beat writer for the Memphis News Enterprise there and I guess he saw the interaction and shared it on Twitter, and I just think it's you know, it's kind of one of those things that reminds you right now, this guy, hopefully forever, he's got a level of humbleness to where you know, it's just going to boost his likability even more so. But he spotted Team Rant and he wasn't sure if Tim Rant remembered him, so he introduced himself as the former Winthrop coach and said, I recruited your son. I'm Pat Kelsey, and I guess. He went on to kind of talk and share, you know, more about who he was, and tem Rant stopped him and assured him, I know who you are, Like, I'm.
Speaker 3: Well aware of who you are.
Speaker 2: They caught up, and there is a tweet that came out or that was put out on July twenty second of twenty sixteen that John Morant tweeted received my tenth offer from Winthrop, which again he ended up going to Murray State. It all worked out to where he's there for three years or maybe two years, whatever it was, and becomes an All American And I do believe as much hype as there was around John Morant for good reason. He had his games moved to like ESPN two when they were they were supposed to be on ESPN plus because he was. I mean, he was the biggest and most hyped recruit or NBA prospect from the lower level of college in a long time. But imagine the hype that had been there if he didn't have to compete with Zion. I mean, John Moran was special still as a special player. I hope it works out for him. Obviously things haven't gone well in the last couple of years. But I know, I just thought that was Pat Kelsey introducing himself to team Rant as if he didn't know who he was, and he remembers that he recruited his son, he probably knows that he's a guy that's having success early on here in his Louisville tenure. So I just thought i'd share that. All Right, we're out of time, you guys. Enjoy your evening. Stay safe, storms are coming later. We'll talk to you tomorrow. Right here for a hump the edition of Coffee and Company on Sports Talk seven ninety
Speaker 4: Yes