Speaker 1: We're Time of Lorenzo and this is the Pop Style Opinion Fest Tble Kittens, Welcome back to another edition of the Pso. I am the Tea and your Tela, Tom Fitzgerald, and I'm here with the Low and your Tela, Lorenso, my cousin, I love the husband day, how are you love the husband?
Speaker 2: I'm wonderful, fantastic.
Speaker 1: We are doing this a little late because and that was on purpose, because we wanted to wait until we could see a preview of the Devil Wears product too, so we could do a whole fashion themed podcast. But that means we're actually dropping two podcasts today on Friday, because later today we're also doing The Bitter Kitten Movie Club, which will be focused on Zola. So I'm going to try and keep these conversations a little the feeling a little different because Zola, the bittercit and Movie Club, I mean that's more of a just a loose conversation about a bunch of different things. But with the Devilwares brought it too. For this podcast, I wanted to try and do more of a strict more of a straight up review, So we're going to review it. We're going to not spoil it until like the last ten minutes of this podcast. Pardon me, still getting over that cold. But before we do that, we're going to talk a little bit about the Metcala this year. We talk about the Metcala every year. We are sort of the go to guys when people want quotes and stuff about the Metcala, And this year I thought we would unpack a little bit of the politics of the situation, because you cannot talk about anything anymore or without politics entering the equation. So let's start off with this, Lorenzo, why don't you use your fashion expertise and just give us an overview of the Metcala and what it is and what it's about.
Speaker 2: So the Metcala is a gala event that when and a wind Tour decided to put together h to raise money for the Costume.
Speaker 1: Institute of the Metropop Museum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Park, so she he needed money and she she was trying to come up with ideas to help them. So she decided, why don't I, you know, put together this gala with celebrities and fashion and all that, because people are always interested in that no prey money to come. And that happened.
Speaker 1: I think that. I'm not sure she originated the Metcala.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I think I don't think she originated Torue.
Speaker 2: She took it over because again, they needed money, uh, and they needed like celebrities, they need people that we you know, worship.
Speaker 1: And she is one of the chairs of the Costume Institute at the metropolit Museum of Art. And the reason I'm laying this groundwork is, you know, most people just don't have an understanding of what the met Gala is, and they think it's just this parade of insanely wealthy people wearing insanely expensive outfits, and all of that is largely true, but it's not simply ostentation for ostentation's sake. It is a fundraiser for an actual art museum, and because of the nature of that museum, because the Costume Institute deals with fashion, Yeah, it's a fashion oriented event. And over the years it has become more and more of a high fashion sort of parade. I mean, back in the seventies, before I think and A. Winter was in charge, it was just your average New York City museum. God.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's still a lot of rich people attended the event. That we don't even know who they are, and they right, it's not all celebrity now, it's not. I mean, we focus on the celebrities, but you know, there's a ton of people, rich New Yorkers who pay good money to attend the gala because it's something they do and they wear their culture and everything, and we never hear from them. We don't know anything about them. But they do pay good money to attend the event. And so do the fashioned houses too.
Speaker 1: If you want to explain that they buy table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because people think, oh, you know, all these anybody, all these people come for free, but not not really. I mean the houses pay a lot of money for a table, and what they do is that they sort of suggest who they.
Speaker 1: Want to say, like hundreds of thousands of dollars for a table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what they do is they suggest in terms of celebrities who they want at their table, and they they sort of have a discussion with that with Vogue and a win tour, and she kind of approves or not who should be attended. Event I have to say she has become more and more flexible about that because now we have the Kim Kardashians, you know, attending event and at one point, I mean, you wouldn't even think of someone like Kim Kardashi and a teddy. But anyway, now they're regulars. So but she sort of like suggests people to the to the designers anyway. So that's why you have tables, and that's why you have a bunch of people wearing the same designer as a group because they got invited by the fashion house and they go, of course, because they're promoting and he's usually people promote you know, hot people like you know, very you know hot and Trandy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, designers are not going to pick just anybody. They're going to want people that are going to you know, sell their brand. And that is the other thing is that, you know, most of the celebrities are there upon an invite by a specific designer or design house, and then they are wearing stuff from that design house.
Speaker 2: They have to wear a designer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a common misunderstanding is like, well, why didn't they wear this or why didn't they wear that? They're only there on an invite from a designer and they have to they pretty much have to wear well, let me just they're not handed clothing to wear I mean, they collaborate with the designer, but they are at the mercy of that. They can't be invited by you know, I don't know Chanel and decide to show up in Mark Jacobs. That's not how it works.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Conna story is going to be there, where is Saint Laurent. And so that's that's how it works. They get to pick what they wore. Oh of course, you know, with the help of their silas. That still works. But they have to wear the designer. And you know, I mean if Chanelle told me you have to wear Chanel, or you know, Tom Brown said you have to wear Trump Brow, of course I wear.
Speaker 1: But nobody's showing up in something they didn't want to wear, something that they were forced in to wear.
Speaker 2: That's true. And sometimes it's stuff from the latest collection or sometimes most of the time it's custom design.
Speaker 1: So it's almost always custom. I mean, no one's going to walk in wearing something they just just walked a runway. They're going to walk in wearing something outrageous that was made just for them. And in the in the years that we have been covering and I think we've been covering the Mecalla about fifteen years now, the idea of looks going viral has permeated the whole thing. It's about showing up and becoming the viral look at the night. So in some respects, and I think probably Anna Winter doesn't love this, but you know, she's got to do what she's got to do to raise their money. In some respects, it has become an anti fashion event, you know, inadvertently becoming an anti fashion because it's not about fashion, and it's not about self expression. It's just about you know, spectacle, you know, and these people are showing up in things that are just more akin to a costume design, like something that you would wear on stage to perform a pop song, than it is an actual piece of fashion.
Speaker 2: I mean these are very expensive costume costumes, very expensive garments and everything, jewelry. I mean, everybody gets involved and spend a lot of money. And then people always talk about the theme. I mean, ei they're going to be wearing the theme or theme inspired. You don't have given up on this one, but they don't. And the thing is that it's not a dress code. The theme is for it's actually for the exhibit.
Speaker 1: I just explained that, yeah, it's the press will constantly refer to the Mecala's dress code, and that's wrong. The dress code of the Metcala is formal. That's it. That is the dress code. It is not a costume party where you all have to show up according to some sort of theme. Generally though, that is how it has evolved over the years. It's technically you don't like when someone shows up in a in a nice dress, people are like, oh, she didn't you know, get the memo whatever, No, she opted to just dress nicely. Right, You don't have to dress according to the theme, and a winter herself almost never does she something right. The theme this year is Fashion is Art, and that is based on as it is every year. The theme every year of the Mecala is based on whatever exhibit is currently running in the Metcala, and the current exhibit is costume Art. So I think this theme is one of the broadest ones they've ever done. Like, fashion is Art, Okay, well you're going to show I guarantee someone's going to show up like wearing some painting or something like that, or or a gilt frame or some goofy s thing like that. But for the most part, I think and I think this might have been Anna's ploy here, is that she deliberately made it so broad in the in the hopes that people would show up in fabulous looks, not in these like clown car looks.
Speaker 2: I have to say the exhibit itself, it's is always fantastic. We've been to a couple and it's really interesting. If you're in New York and you want to see the actual exhibit, it it's worth a visit because it's beautiful gowns or beautiful garments that you know, that they pick for the exhibit. They tell, you know, they tell the whole story about the theme and everything. So it is interesting and I and it, like we said, it, you know, raised a lot of money and it's an event that everyone talks about the next day. And celebrities love it. Of course because they get all the attention. They're not going to follow the theme and they don't have to because you know, I've already said that celebrity in general, they want to look hot and sexy. Yeah, that's the bottom line here. They want to look young and hot and sexy. So so if the theme doesn't, you know, help them with that, help them with that. They're not going to do it. They're not going to do it. They're gonna wear their shear, you know, embellished, you know things.
Speaker 1: I think generally the fashion at the metcala is more out is the most outrageous red carpet in America. Right on the calendar every year it out does you know, the the Oscars and various other galas and stuff. One of the things I wanted to just briefly touch on. We went to the Whitney Gala in two thousand and nine, remember, and I just want to offer that as an example of what is a quote unquote normal, not over the top sort of benefit for a museum. I think the Whitney Gala still happens. I think they still have it every year. We were This is so weird. I was thinking about this last night. Very early in our careers because blogging was like exciting and the fashion world was embracing it. And I mean part of that was had to do with our early success. But do you remember like Versus literally Versace and Dulce and Gabana were like pursuing us for things. Remember they said, Dulce Cabana sent us wallets and everything, and it was the Versace people. Versace Dona Talla Versace was hosting the Whitney Gala that year and their people asked us to come and cover it for them, which we did. It's it's a very old post on our site.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but a lot of famous people were there.
Speaker 1: But it was so low key. Yeah, it was not the gala. They were all sitting around on couches. Everyone was wearing nice, mostly nice clothes, but it wasn't it wasn't what this what the And I'm only offering this up as as a point that museum galas are very normal in New York. They generally do get some celebrities. Even if it's not movie stars, they're going to wind up getting Broadway stars and television stars. But they they're not always right. The mechala is on a completely different level, and it's sort of why the mecala always gets so much I don't know, blowback, and that's one of the things I do want to talk about. But before we go to the break, I did want to note, because we didn't bring this up, the coach chairs this year are Beyonce, Nicole Kidman, and Venus Williams, so it should be a very stylish.
Speaker 2: They're going to be wearing something interesting, gorgeous.
Speaker 1: I don't think Beyonce might be wearing something a little over the top, but I think most of the all three of them are going to wind up wearing very, very chic looks. I actually can't wait to see what Nicole Kimman's gonna work.
Speaker 2: That's a little bit back to the Whitney Galla you mentioned. I remember Jennifer Hudson. She was there, yes, and she was wearing Versachi Couture, Tellia Versaci and I remember looking at her gown and just being stunned by it because it was so gorgeous. My point is that these things in person look so so different, much better, and I you know, what you see in a picture is just half of the beauty of it. And I think that's the stylist job, to make sure that you know, when you see that stuff in a picture, it should sort of That's how they should pick the garments. That's my point. I think they should take photographs into consideration when they picked those things.
Speaker 1: Because when we went I'm sorry, guh, go ahead, when we went to the Whitney Galla that was two thousand and nine, I believe, and I remember that sort of informed all of our red carporate coverage since then, because we try to talk about how it looks pictures, because that is the point of a red cart But maybe it looked stunning in person, but the point is a million people are going to see the pictures and only one hundred and fifty so in person. So and we try and rate what we're looking at from that perspective, with the knowledge that a lot of this stuff probably looks stunning and most high fashion stage does they do. But if it doesn't photograph, well it has failed. Anyway, let's take a short break.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Also, Zoe Kravitz is the host committee head, although I don't know what that means different from the co chairs. I think there's just like levels to it. And then the honorary chairs are Jeff and Lauren Bezos and that we're going to talk about when we get back. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: And one of the reasons I wanted to talk about the mcalla aside in the fact that we generally do aways talk about it. Yeah, I think we do a little short podcast on it every year, is we started getting emails about I hope you guys aren't covering it this year because of Jeff and Lauren Bezos.
Speaker 2: Oh honey, I have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going to unpack a lot of this. Here's the thing. And this does get to a question that has plagued us since the beginning of our blogging careers, which is it's not a question, it's an issue. Readers often mistake their choices for our choices, and instead of a reader saying I am not going to read anything about the Bezos Metcala, they instead reach out to writers and say you should not be writing about this, And that's actually a total reversal of it. You are the one that should make a choice as to whether or not you're going to read certain things or support certain things. Reaching out to writers who cover those things and telling them not to cover them is pointless.
Speaker 2: I also want to emphasize that we have our limits. It's not like we cover everything anything. I mean, we don't cover those people anymore, you know, like Millennia and all these people. So my point is that we have some principal fear. It's just that when it comes to the metal, I mean, come on, well.
Speaker 1: Here's my Yeah, there are certain dates on the calendar, certain months of the year that if you're in our line of work, they are essential to our line of work. Like we have to cover award season, we have to cover the Oscars, we have to cover the Metcala, we have to cover the can Film Festival, we have to cover the Venice Film Festival. If we don't cover these things, we are in effect saying we're not the person who covers this, like we're just not and that you know, we've set ourselves up. It's been twenty years of work, but we have set ourselves up as two of the leading voices in red carpet commentary in the world. LeMond just did an interview with us and actually said that that we were like leading voices in the and you know, I do say that. I'm like, I do say that to brag. I'm not even going to up front like, yeah, I'm saying that to brag, but it's also the truth, Like we worked very hard to establish ourselves. And the thing is, it's one thing. If you want to contact I don't know, Vogue or Cosmo and tell them that they shouldn't cover it, that's a mainstream media piece and maybe you can, yeah, maybe you can work something. But I get offended when people go after the smallest possible publishers and tell them you better not do this or I'm going to stop reading you and hands in the air like okay, I guess you're going to stop reading me. But this is my job and the other I mean just removing all of that from it, do you. I mean, Jeff and Laaren Bezos are two of the biggest names in the oligarchy sphere, but every single year at the met gala, there are billionaires there every single year. Like that's it's rich people. It's a gala for rich people.
Speaker 2: Right. The beauty of having a site like ours is that we are the owners and we make our decisions. Uh uh, you know, based on what how we feel comfortable, you know, with anything, so like for I'll give you an exhip, but don't Checkabana. I mean, they were horrible people for a long time. There still are, but people are wearing them and we have to report on that, and we have to report on them. I mean, like just because you know, I don't know recently and it was that and had the way where she yeah she wore uh do chagabuna. I believe anywhere everyone is wearing them. So we have to say this is by dot Chickabana. We still I mean I avoid putting as you have noticed, you guys have noticed, I don't put it like ed campaigns or anything like that. I avoid as much as I can as we can. But sometimes if if a major celebrity is wearing do Chakobana or any other brand that you guys you know, don't don't agree with, I mean we still have to say we can't. We still have to cover.
Speaker 1: There was a long time where people are like, why are you still covering them? I mean there was uh, someone had to melt down in our comment section last year because we were covering the opening of that film with oh god, what's his name? Brad Pitt and Brad Pitt and why are you covering Brad Pitt? Because he's problematic and he abused his children. And I'm like, yeah, okay, I get that, but my job is to cover film premiers like this is a major film premiere. Blame it on Hollywood that he still has a career, But don't ask me not to cover a major premiere because you don't like or because the per and listen, I've made these choices. We both have there, we have severely cut back on covering someone like Johnny Depp. I mean, oh, granted he's not doing much with his life right now, but we have covered him. We've covered Kanye, but because these are very problematic people. But again, I didn't elevate these people. And sometimes you get that, you get why are you giving this person a platform? And I'm like, do you really think my little blog is giving Kanye a bigger platform? Like I'm not at it to this at all, right.
Speaker 2: And just to finish so that we don't spend too much time talking about this, I don't want you to feel sorry for us, but revenue in general for a website plummeting are just getting smaller by the minute. So we have to cover the stuff that we think will attract a lot of attention. So yeah, that's that's, that's how it is.
Speaker 1: I'm not even morally compromised or ethically compromised by this. I do not support anything about Jeff and Lauren Bezos. I think they're horrible people. I think they've done horrible things to this country. But I'm not going to not cover my the things that I'm probably not covering them. No, we're not going to have much they're going to show up on our site. But I'm not boycotting the Megala. That's not something I'm going I mean, it would have to be something far more controversial than an olive arch showing up to get me to just completely.
Speaker 2: I'm sure she'll be wearing something insanely outraged, but we're not covering I mean, they attended to Vinity fear of and we didn't cover it. Yeah anyway, now, but that's.
Speaker 1: The bottom line is that this is our job. This is one of the biggest events that we cover every year. Like literally people come just to see what Tom and Lorenzo have said about the Metcala looks. So it was never a question that we were not going to cover this. It just never was. Like I said, every reader should make that choice. If you feel like you cannot support this, then don't click on anything, and maybe we and other publishers will learn some sort of lesson about what we should and shouldn't cover. But that's all I wanted to get into today, which is that if you don't want to read something as a reader, that's on you. It's not on you to contact the writer and say stop writing about this.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 1: That's my little small independent publisher rant of the day. But I'm looking forward to the Metcala. I look forward to it every single year. It's going to be fun. Everyone's going to look insane, right, and yeah, I have no problem with covering it, even with horrible oligarchs there. And like I said, they are not the first and they won't be the last oligarchs. I mean the Trumps. You went to more than one met Kala over the years. All right, So done, Yeah, done with that. All right, So we're going to move on to the fictional Anna Winter and tell you everything we thought of the Devil wors Prota two when we come back. We're back, and now we're going to talk about the Devil wors Prota two because earlier this week I came into Lorenzo's office and I said, and this was when I had the idea to push the podcast back. I was like, we can't let this movie go by.
Speaker 2: We have to like, this is God, that's my life, this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just it's our world is fashioned And honestly, that the original Devilwaar's product, which came out the year we launched our blog two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: Yeow wow.
Speaker 1: It actually informed a lot of our early coverage, our early ideas about it, and so there was no question that we were going to do some sort of review. And I let me just I didn't want to write a review. I wanted the two of us to bat it around and have you involved in it.
Speaker 2: Listen, I've watched the first movie like a hundred times.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, so it's an iconic piece of everything anything fashion movie. It's just it's.
Speaker 1: It's also a snapshot of the aughts, you know, two thousand and six, and it was part of a cycle of like high fashion fashionista films, like you know, Confessions of a what was it, Confessions of a Fashionistah, Yeah, there was a bunch of those, and of course the Sex and the City movies. It was like this whole thing that was happening in the late Bush era, where the Obama era of like frivolous sort of high fashion movies. And that was the That was the atmosphere in which we launched Oar Blog. That was the atmosphere in which Project Runway became a major hit at the time. So all of this was in the mix of the aughts of the two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: And the fashion of this industry until then was this secret thing that nobody talked about, nobody wanted to talk about. It's, you know, like the industry, I mean the inside of it, of course, not fashion in general, but in terms of like how the work was, how magazines work, and that kind of stuff. We didn't know. We didn't have a lot of information until we got the book first. Right, Yeah, So the devil Wares prought a book written by Lauren H what is it Wisberger anyway, So she wrote the book, and you know, obviously they bought the book rights and had the movie. I read the book. I absolutely loved the book. I read the book like three times. It's a great book because I like fashion. I mean, if you like fashion, then you're interested in that kind of thing, and I think the movie gave a very interesting view and perception of fashion in general.
Speaker 1: I didn't love the book. I did read the book. I mean, it was juicy and it was fun and everything, but I think Lauren Weisberger is not a fashion girly, and so it was a look at the fashion industry from someone who really doesn't appreciate it or really understand it. And that's fine. As she has said in interviews, the whole point of the book was to be an outsider. It was the perspective of being an outsider in that world.
Speaker 2: It was a very cynical way of looking it was at the industry well how she wrote the book.
Speaker 1: And I also thought that the first film on One of the issues of the first film is that there was this tension and the film didn't seem quite aware of it. That Andy Sachs Anne Hathaway's character seemed kind of ungrateful, like literally ungrateful for what was Like she kind of rolled her eyes when everyone said there were million girls that would kill for the job, But there were a million girls that would kill for that job. And if you're not feeling it, then maybe you should get the hell out of it. It is it despite everything. It is a career starter to be someone like Anna Wintor's first or second assistant. That that opens doors for people.
Speaker 2: But my re understanding is that she never felt that that was for her. That she was there just, you know, so she could get some experience and move on to something else. It's true to the movie. The real story the movie that she didn't care much about it. She just was there because she knew that would look good in her resume. So that is true. And you know, I think that's why the book is so cynical and so like criticizing everything pretty much, which you know, I have to say, Uh, you know, I know the fashion indust really well. We both know, and yeah, there's a lot to criticize.
Speaker 1: The bad there is there is. I just don't think necessarily that is a position from which you can criticize much. Now let's get into this. We're going to talk about Devil Worre's Prota two and we're going to compare it in some ways to the first. So if you have things you want to say about the first film, we can work them in. Like I said, we'll wait, we'll take a break and then have like a spoiler section at the end of this. But right now we're not going to get into spoilers. We're just going to talk about the setup. Right out of the gate, I'll say this, the Devil wors Product two is actually better than it has better than it had to be.
Speaker 2: Right. You said that when we walked out of the theater, and now I was like, that's a very good observation. It's really true.
Speaker 1: I I'm sorry, I'm clearing my throat a lot, but I'm trying to get over COVID and what I mean by that when I say it's better than it needed to be. Like my fear, I don't fear is kind of overstating it. My concern even that is overstating it. But I was a little worried that this film was going to just run the greatest hits and everybody was going to, you know, talk about Cyrilian and gurder Loins, and it was just going to be a bunch of people who didn't move on in twenty years. Every reference was going to be to something and they were all going to wear stupid clown clothes, and I thought they were going to do and just like that, right, what that did to Sex and the City turned all of those characters stupid And all they did was refer to stuff that happened twenty years ago while they tottered around in these ridiculous outfits. And that was my fear. I was like, I don't know, this is going to be a really silly movie. To my very pleasant surprise, it's a movie about people who have lived twenty years since the last movie. Yeah, and it makes sure that you understand that, like we are not just picking up where we left off. Twenty years have gone by for all four of the main characters, and that's Stanley, Twotamily Blunt, Merril in Hathaway, and it really does an interesting job of showing where they are in the world world now, how that doesn't line up with where they were in two thousand and six. At the same time, the film is rather admirably unpacking the collapse of the media and the collapse of the magazine industry and where the fashion industry is now while all of these collapses are going on.
Speaker 2: I think the beauty of it is that it wouldn't be there wouldn't be a second movie if they didn't bring all these people back. And absolutely, and I watched a ton of interviews on TikTok and they all say the same thing. They all contributed to somehow. They all said, well, we'll come back, but you know, we have to make sure that we don't fuck up with the first one. You know, it has to be a second movie that makes sense. Especially Merristreep, she was very adamant about it that you know, where's my character going to be.
Speaker 1: Is in a different place, and I was like, huh wow, Okay, that's really interesting.
Speaker 2: So they all had to agree that before they came back. And that's why, as you said, it didn't have to be this good, because people love the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, they could have just done some stupid Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always compared to like Dalton Abby. It's it's that kind of fandom. You know, you love the movie, you're gonna see it anyway. Of course, there's a ton more fashion and a ton more you know things that of course had to be there for the second movie.
Speaker 1: There's a lot more fashion names, there's a lot more celebrity cameos and that. That is the kind of thing where I was afraid the whole foot, the whole movie was just gonna be silly shit like that.
Speaker 2: But it kind of made sense. Why no, it may.
Speaker 1: I mean back in the during the when they shot the first movie, they didn't have all these names lining up.
Speaker 2: Right, No, they didn't. I mean everyone talks about it, Merris Reep said. I mean she even joked, he said, we got a lot more money for the second movie because they didn't have a lot of movie. They thought it was just gonna be some silly fashion movie. They didn't want to spend a.
Speaker 1: Lot of movie and a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Money, I'm sorry, a lot of money, a lot of movie. Uh. And Patricia Field is a fantastic custom designer, but her approach is completely differ. Even if she had movie, I think her approach would have been if she had money, money, my god, what is going on with me? Uh? If she had money to spend, I think her approach would have been the same, because that's how she approached. She likes to make some match I mean, look at what she did for Sex and the City.
Speaker 1: Right, But she wasn't the costume designer on this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, and you mentioned they didn't have the designers were afraid of even touching this movie, so nobody showed up. Uh. The roally reason why we have Valentino in the first movie is because he's i mean in halfway it. You know, begged him pretty much to be in the movie.
Speaker 1: And part of everything was people, you know, designers did not want to be involved because Anna Winter what it was at the time, not speaking about this book at all. She was not referencing it. And there was a period I remember where Meryl Streep was worried like that. Anna Winter was mad at her, and later they gave her Meryl Streep to cover both.
Speaker 2: The real story is that she got a galley and she knew about the movie and I went to it. She knew about the movie and she yeah, so she was fully aware.
Speaker 1: And so designers did not want to become involved with the first movie because Anna. And honestly, I think the only reason Anna has embraced this movie, the second movie, and has embraced the sort of comparisons to Miranda Priestley is because it's good for fashion and it's good for Vogue. Let's just embrace it. And so she got all of these fashion people to get on board with the second movie, and she has been promoting it. I mean, Anna's been right there promoting this movie.
Speaker 2: They had stuff for TikTok, like where they when, where there are two of them together on the elevator and all that stuff. I mean they shot a lot of stuff because of the movie. So it's a it's a whole it's a completely different place now, yeah, where they are with the movie.
Speaker 1: Anyway back to the to the All right, let's talk about what the movie is about without and I won't give away spoilers, but this is the setup for the movie, and this is what and I want to get into what I mean by it really felt like they thought about where these characters would be after twenty years and what they would be like. So Andy sacks Heads has had a very good journalism career, and the movie opens with her winning a prestigious journalism award and then immediately getting fired because I don't know, her paper was bought out by a hedge fund or something like that, and then there's machinations and it doesn't entirely make sense until much months later in the movie as to why this happens, But somehow she gets offered a job as features editor at Runway Magazine, and the reason she got this offer is because Runway and Miranda Priestley are in a pr nightmare because I don't know, it all happened so fast the setup, the Runway endorseed some fast fashion place or something that I used sweatshop workers or something like that. It actually went by so fast. In the beginning, they just wanted to set it up and get Andy in that all. So yes, Meryl Streep's Miranda Priestley is a somewhat fallen figure. She's not as invulnerable as she once was. And one of the things that I liked about that was that the offices and runway are completely They look the same, but the vibe is completely different. There is no gurdier loins, there is no throwing coats on desks. They actually make a point of saying that HR complained about that, and Miranda has to hang up her own coats. And then they show and this was something they didn't show in the first film, editorial meetings. They didn't show a lot of the business of being a fashion magazine, like what goes on day and it's not about trying on clothes and matching belts to dresses. I mean, there's meetings and it's very interesting because how do I put this? They let Miranda Priestley be a seventy five year old woman in the story, and I actually loved those scenes because that's a formerly powerful figure who has lost her power and like, so she's sitting in these meetings and people are mouthing off to her, people are rolling their eyes out of it.
Speaker 2: They don't put up with that anymore, with her attitude.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the other thing is that she tries to do these little mirandaisms, and then she's constantly being told you can't say that, you can't say that at HR talk to you about that.
Speaker 2: And I like that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yeah, that's true. I mean right, and I mean the My understanding is that Anna Winter herself has toned all of that stuff way way down, all of the imperiousness and everything, all of the major expenses and everything. So I think it's sort of reflecting that same token. Stanley Tucci is still there as Nigel, and his growth is a lot more subtle, and I can't really get into it without giving certain things away, which I won't do. But you think this guy is stuck because at the end of the last film, at the end of the first film, he got screwed over by Miranda, he thought he was getting a promotion and he wound up not And it's twenty years later and he's still in the same job pretty much, and the film doesn't. I actually really like the way they handled it because it was very, very subtle to explain how he has changed internally in the years since, how his expectations have changed, and what he still.
Speaker 2: Wants, right, and I feels more real, like you know, some people don't get a promotion.
Speaker 1: And not everybody can be a CEO, like someone has to work on you'll.
Speaker 2: Do that forever and you have to come to terms with that sometime in your life if you want to continue in that kind of situation. Right and job. So I think they do a very good job.
Speaker 1: I think they do a great job. I want to talk about a few things that hmm, didn't quite sit with me and so Andy. So they do a good job of showing that Andy is a much more mature and established person than she was the twenty year old, you know, with the person from twenty years ago, the young girl who was an assistant. She has a career, she's you know, critically acclaimed, that sort of thing, and they do mostly a good job with that. But then she gets in back in that office again, and I guess they have to do this. Suddenly she's running around worrying and she's a features editor. That's the thing. If you're a features editor at a magazine that is you are one of the highest ranking editors.
Speaker 2: And I get it.
Speaker 1: It was funny that in the beginning Miranda just keeps treating her like an assistant. But I was getting frustrated during those scenes because I'm like, all right, she's like forty three years old, well established, why is she putting.
Speaker 2: Up with this?
Speaker 1: And I really wanted and never got spoiler a scene where she just would go into I wanted her to unload on Miranda. I really did. I thought, Okay, the film is establishing that Miranda's style of Madda Zierol' style is problematic. It's established, and Andy is chore and grown up and not you know, why are we doing this thing where she's running around intimidated and worrying about and the other thing is like other people in there were treating her like shit. Assistants were treating and I was like, I'm sorry, she's a features editor at essentially Vogue. Why is she putting up with any of this? Nigel was being a bitch to her in the beginning, and I get it, like these are the things you need to check off the list. Everyone needs to comment on her eating cards and her poor fashion sense or whatever. But at a certain point you're like, she's not twenty three. Why and there what I was starting to get annoyed with it. Honestly that that is probably my main and only criticism of the film, except in general sense, it's frivolous. It's not a deep story now, and he said, I.
Speaker 2: Never expected to be deep. I was like, all right, I'm just going to get a continuation I guess of the story. Yeah, it's just going to continue, and I'm going to enjoy this very much. And I did. I think they're all incredible. I think I feel bad for Simon and Ashley actually because it feels like she's like like a side thing the entire time. Yeah. Yeah, it has the four lines. I feel like they they were very strong about showcasing those four and.
Speaker 1: Which made which made sense.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, I, you know, I think, I don't know. I feel about for Simon because she's a very good actor and and she's gorgeous. She is absolutely gorgeous, and all the customers she's wearing in the movie are incredible. I mean, she looks fantastic. So I was hoping for a little more, but I guess she's just an assistant. She's you know, I guess anyway, And and yes, you're right, but but I love the fashion stuff. I love they went to Milan. I mean that was incredible.
Speaker 1: There was some incredible scenes in Milan, just breathtaking scenes in Milan. There is I mean, it's something I am. It's everywhere, it's every about who the special all right, so.
Speaker 2: Lady, we're not give you anything A.
Speaker 1: It was a great number. It was a great I know, come on, it was a great number.
Speaker 2: I felt that was unnecessary because nobody, well they do have music, music, but I don't have a singer, a major singing.
Speaker 1: From anyway from that kind of event. No John for Couture show.
Speaker 2: Mcalladay, they hire a special singer, but not for that anyway. But Lady Gaga was there was It's a great song, and you know, it was beautiful because they showcase all these famous and iconic looks from various collections that I think that's what I saw, and it looked beautiful.
Speaker 1: I just want to say, uh, I think most of what we're going to say about Emily Blunt is going to go in the spoiler section because I don't really want to give too much away. If you care about these things, I will say she is the best part of the film. She's the funniest part of the film. I have to say. This is not a particularly laugh riot of a film. It's entertained, it's a very light, and it moves out of very breast pace. I really enjoyed myself, but I only laughed in Emily Blant scenes. Those were the only funny scenes. And she is fucking hilarious. Her line delivery.
Speaker 2: Is just f I've always said, listen, I worship, worship Maristery always my entire life. I always loved that woman. But I've always said that the devil was front. It's all about Emily Blunt. I've always said that. I'm sorry, that's I think she's a movie first one and second one. She is hilarious the way as you said.
Speaker 1: She delivers her line delivery.
Speaker 2: Sorry, incredible, and it has to do with the attitude and the accident and the British you know, attitude and all that. It just works. I was reading an interview with her. First of all, she was only twenty three when she made the first movie, and she talks about that, how young and how intimidated she was by everything, by the whole thing. And she talks about how when she additioned to the part the first movie, she was very tired. She had just done another edition and she was extremely tired, and she did the second the audition for the movie, and she start speaking with a British accent and she forgot and then and then apparently that's how it well, why the character has a British accent, because they were like, oh that works, I keep it, and then that's how they kept the accent. I think she is phenomenal. I love her as an actor, and I think she she's delivers. The whole thing was you know, we're going to talk what she does or that's for later. That's for later, Okay, anyway, but I do love her and she's just funny, funny, funny, funny.
Speaker 1: One thing I want to go back to with all four of the main characters, Like I said, they really thought about where these people would be, what choices they would have made in the twenty years since the last film. And when we get to the end of the film and this is this was my pleasant surprise, I was like, huh, they really managed to do that. It felt like those four character arcs started twenty years ago and ended a fact, like they really wrapped up character arcs for those four characters that literally started twenty years prior. It felt correct, it felt well considered. I think again, we're going to save some of the We're going to save it for the spoiler section. But I do think people might have an issue with how Emily Blunt was handled, how her character was handled, and we're going to unpack that later.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's very interesting, and people were also complaining about, oh, we get to that later. I didn't want to. Thought.
Speaker 1: One of the controversies that came out before the film debuted was in a lot of Chinese viewers were upset about the the the intern, whose name is Jin Chow, played by Helen Chen. And it is not for me to tell people how they should feel about ethnic stereotypes. I did cringe at the scene that everybody saw, which is when she introduces herself in She's this very nervous, nerdy, glasses overachieving four point zero GPA Asian girl, and it does check off a bunch of stereotypes. I will say that the rest of the time she's in the film, she's not like that at all. I mean, she's an assistant, but I don't feel like they were indulging in these Asian stereotypes anymore. She was just a high functioning assistant.
Speaker 2: I think they used it for like a one funny joke and then they kind of drop was poorly considered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, And my understanding is that Chinese viewers thought the name jin Chow was like a ching chong kind of joke.
Speaker 2: Everything was a joke.
Speaker 1: It was all a little It felt a little two thousand and six to be. It was like, suddenly, it's two thousand and six and you're making an ethnic joke that you probably shouldn't be making. The other thing I want to say is that Tracy Toms comes back from the first film as her friend, really loved loved their scenes together because it was nice that none of it was nice that none of her other friends, because they were all assholes in the first film Boyfriend. But there was a certain sense of continuity, like, yeah, okay, you probably would have stayed friends with her for twenty years and her life turned out great. She's got a great apartment, she's got a kid, she's got, you know, a great career, and she's only in it briefly. But it was a nice tie to the first film.
Speaker 2: I agree. I agree.
Speaker 1: Let's see one more thing I do have to give Meryl. I mean, it seems silly to give Meryl credit. But there are certain scenes in the movie, the scene in the limo at the end, obviously I'm not gonna talk about it, but where it's like, oh, they're just letting Meryl do it. They're just keeping a camera on Meryl and just letting her run through every Meryl trick she has, and that's when she's at her best, Like, just let Meryl be Meryl.
Speaker 2: I think they paid homage to the first movie with that scene, and they did because in the first movie she says, you know, she's in a car. She said to everyone wants to be he wants to be and then she says go And apparently Marylsup wasn't happy with the scene first movie, and then she said, can we shoot this again? And then she added the go word, and then they all loved it and they kept the whole thing. So I think this there was a lot of that. Like the soundtrack. They brought a lot of the music back, which I loved because again, I'm a huge fan of the first movie, so I loved one. Every now and then you hear the music, you know, like.
Speaker 1: But I don't think it was heavy hand, no, no, not. I I don't feel like they were cycling through the hits. I felt like they were moving all of these characters.
Speaker 2: I really well. I actually joked with the street vandor selling the belts, and and then.
Speaker 1: I thought it was belts.
Speaker 2: I thought it was cute, like he's showing two belts and she can't decide which one she wants to buy.
Speaker 1: That was a split second, and that.
Speaker 2: It was just the beginning, very very quick. The fashion again with over the top, of course, but you know, the costume designer, what's her name, Molly Rogers, said that, you know, with the first.
Speaker 1: Movie, she was a costume designer, and just like that.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, oh, oh wow, I think she was.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure she was.
Speaker 2: She said that in the first you know, for the first movie, nobody wanted to contribute in anything. But she said for this one, she said, it was like a line of people bagging to be in the movie. And that's why you see all these major you know houses.
Speaker 1: Of course, but I'll give her credit because I, like I said, there's one or two outfits that I thought were like, that's a little over the top. But and of course nobody, I mean passion editors do not show up for work in kutoure.
Speaker 2: They just don't.
Speaker 1: And there was a scene at the end where Andy was in a civilian sweater and a pair of jeans, and I was like, actually, that looks.
Speaker 2: Like a fashion editor. I think this needs to be explained, because the thing is that I actually read an interview with somebody who worked for one of the in Me Big magazine, and she talked about that, like she said, we live in we're working with this in this industry where we see all these very very expensive things, beautiful things, but we can't afford any of that, and we still have to work, We still have to go to the office. And they kind of like create a sort of like a uniform, you know.
Speaker 1: Like white Oxford.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, they can't afford those brids most of their And and also about the closet, you know, that's all fantasy, the whole thing about you know, they just go in and and wear everything in the closet. That's just just for the movie.
Speaker 1: That's just a fantasy.
Speaker 2: That doesn't work, that doesn't work in real life. One interesting thing I want to mention is talking about a movie Blunt And and the character Emily, is that finally the real Emily came out and now she's giving all these interviews. The real Emily is Leslie Freemar. She's now a stylist. Her major client is Charlie Theron, and she finally decided to come out and tell her story. And so she gave an interview. She was interviewed by Vogue the podcast. I forget what what the podcast that's called. I'll remember in a second. Oh, it's it's the run Through with Vogue. So she was interviewed. She gave her whole story and and she you know that that's true, that's you know, that's her. And and she you know, interviewed Andy Sachs, you know, the Leslie Lauren. I'm sorry, So the whole thing, it's true. She said, the movie created this whole fantasy about the industry, and apparently the galley for the movie. When she wrote the first Gally h apparently it was even darker. Uh. But when they decided to make the publish the book, the publishers decided that, you know, let's give it a little more fantasy and tone it down here and there. And they did the same for the movie anyway, So that's why I think that's why it worked. I think if it was very dark the first of the second movie. People wouldn't want to people would be put off by it.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, all right, why don't we go for a break and then we'll come back and do a little bit of spoiler talk about some of the stuff we didn't want to, you know, reveal in this part. We'll be right back back and now we're going to get into some of the spoiler stuff about the Devil War's product too. The big thing and it really surprised me that they did this, was that Miranda Priestley is not the villain of this story. She's actually Andy's co conspirator, because the villain of the story is Emily Blunt.
Speaker 2: Surprised by this.
Speaker 1: I did not expect that to happen, and I thought it was a little bold of them to take that move. And I thought it I ain't I don't know. I was like, would Emily, the Emily of two thousand and six that she portrayed, is this where she would have wound up? But the I thought the script did some interesting things to give you a hint of where her life was, why her life was the way it was, and ultimately she is the girlfriend of a billionaire played by Justin Threux, and it's essentially a Bill Gates elon Musk sort of. You could tell they did not want to it didn't it wasn't gonna look like anyone like what. They didn't want to piss off Jeff Bezos, I guess because you know they're going to be on Prime videos someday.
Speaker 2: Because that could be the two of them clearly.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it was based more on Bill Gates and his wife Mackenzie, because Lucy Lou plays Justin Thereux's ex wife, and she's a billionaire as well, and there's this whole story about trying to get an interview with her and blah blah blah blah blah. But a lot of the film deals with the collapsing of media and the fact that all of these these struggling media outlets are relying on olivegarchs and hitch funds to fund them. And there's a scramble to try because Runway is the owner of Runway dies and then they think his son is going to wind up selling it all off, and so there's a scramble to try and get a billionaire to save Runway, and the billionaire they settle on is justin Thereux, which is Emily Blunt's boyfriend.
Speaker 2: I almost didn't recognize him, but yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Can't even quite tell. I know that there was a way that gave him a receding hairline, but I think he's wearing a prosthetic nose. Yeah, they did something to uglify him.
Speaker 2: Chubby well, I mean they yes.
Speaker 1: He's chubbier, and I don't know why, why would you cast a hot guy and then unhot him, just cast some chubby not hot guy.
Speaker 2: At the time, I was like, is that really him?
Speaker 1: A couple of times I was like that that is justin thrue right. It was sort of his unkind of canny Valley thing. But there's someone We're like, oh wow, would Emily have wound up with a billionaire Olive Ark a loser? Like he's like this weird, you know, socially awkward Elon Musk type, well money, But I was like, is that who she is?
Speaker 2: Is she?
Speaker 1: But then they do a quick scene where you see her on the phone with an ex husband who is taking care of their kids, and you kind of get the impression that her life has not worked out the way she thought it was going to work out. When she was twenty three and she was Miranda Peasley's assistant. And then it comes out much later in film that Miranda kind of screwed her over in her career and she has a lot of resentment towards Miranda. And god, that line do you know which line where Miranda says to her, You're not a visionary, You're a vendor.
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: In fashion, that is just about the most damning. You're basically saying you're a shop girl. You're just a shop girl. You can cut the attitude.
Speaker 2: Well, she's working for Door And can we just talk about that first outfit? Oh my god, Yeah, her outfit drop dead cord.
Speaker 1: She I think she might have had the best. No, actually, Meryl did have the best outfits at one point. There's that scene on the street where they're getting into the limo and I was like, her suit is stunning. Meryl suit was.
Speaker 2: And I have to talk about that first look, because that's when when a custom design know what she's doing. You might look at that it was like, that's too much. But if you were in the fashion industry and she works at the or, and if you were at and you have access to those clothes, that's what you're gonna wear. Yeah, and she looked amaeding.
Speaker 1: So I'm not going to fully unpack the plot. But Emily Blunt's character winds up screwing several people over incruiting Miranda Priestley in a bid to take over Runway magazine, and I really wasn't bothered by it. But I was surprised that they took one of the main characters in the first film and said, you know what, her life didn't work out well and she's kind of a bitch.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I thought that was actually a bold thing to do. And again, I'm not going to unpack how the story unfolds, but there is resolution there, and in fact, one of the things I want to say here is all I feel like the character arcs for the main characters were summed up so well that I really hope they never do a third one. But if they wanted to do a spin off with Emily Blunt's character, I would watch an entire movie of her in London working for Burbery or something, because she I mean, it's the best role she ever had. She's so good in this that I'm like, I I would not argue with an Academy Award nomination for Best Support RaaS like she's that good in this role.
Speaker 2: I also loved the scene in the Corp when Marriscuprimi says too and had the way like you think we're going to be friends now? I mean that kind of and I thought that was so real. So so the industry like this worked for now, you know, like we made a good day. Left it there though, Yeah, we made a good deal, but it doesn't mean we're going to be friends. So I'm going to be on your side or or You're going to be on my side the whole time, which is very true when you are in such a competitive you know, world and industry. That's how you feel the whole time.
Speaker 1: Right I I do feel that, Yes, they they leave it in such a place that everything's kind of tentative. Actually is I'm hoping need into a third one. I don't think there's any plan to do.
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 1: But they make it very clear that runway is quote unquote saved, but also that runway probably is going to last much longer anyway. And they also kind of make it clear that Miranda's just holding on but you know, and it's kind of Ego. There was a point at which I sat there wondering how much am I supposed to feel bad about a wealthy seventy five year old woman who probably is at the end of her career. Like, you're seventy five and you're wealthy and you're highly accomplished. How bad am I supposed to feel? Similarly to Stanley Tucci's character, like squish squish boo, who you're You know, you're the second in charge at Runway? Okay, you're like sixty five, Like I don't mean agism here, but very very well accomplished people, Like how badly am I supposed to feel for any of you? And I do think it ends in a way that doesn't over state where they are or what they're doing.
Speaker 2: I have a question, did they recast the husband or that's a second husband?
Speaker 1: The second husband? Her husband left her in the first film? Oh okay, Kenneth Brownick plays her husband. It's a lovely part, but I'm like, why did he agree to that? I know it's a big nothing. I guess he agreed with it to do scenes with Meryl Streep because I don't think they've ever worked together. Same thing with Lucy lil there's a major, major plot point that hinges on her character, but she is in four minutes of screen time.
Speaker 2: I think everyone wants to be port just wanted to be part of it. Everyone wants a piece of this, you know, incredible cake. Yeah, that's been going on for twenty years.
Speaker 1: But my wrap up is, if you liked it, it's very much worth your time. It was not a disappointment to at all. It's entertaining. I enjoyed seeing these people again, and I very much enjoyed that we weren't just replaying hits from twenty years ago. There was an actual story there and it felt current.
Speaker 2: I was gonna see it anyway, of course, of course, but I'm I was pleased. I think I think they did a good job. Yeah, I agree, but it Yeah, fashion is great.
Speaker 1: We highly recommend it, highly recommend it. And I think that's it for this week. We are going to wrap things up and immediately record a second podcast, Movie Club, But we will be back next week with our regular podcast with whatever crosses our eyes across our desk. Until then, take care of yourselves, love you mean it, Bye bye bye.