Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm WBS Costin's Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, we spent last hour talking about the plea deal that has been caught by Brian Coburger in the Idaho student quadruple murder case from November of twenty twenty two, and I think it's something the judge out there has the ability to reject and should reject. Now again, we heard from Laurie in Idaho. We do have a couple of listeners in Idaho and if anyone's out there it wants to weigh in on it, speak now forever. Hold your piece. I have one caller who has hungover. I'm going to get to her in a moment. I'm just going to reset it here and if you want to keep it going, great, If not, we're going to move on this thirty year old now thirty year old Brian Coburger apparently is now pleading guilty to the stabbing and murder of four University of Idaho students, Madison Mogan, xon A Kremodal cre Noodle, excuse me, Ethan Chapin, and Kaylee Gonzalvis. He's accepted the plea deal in exchange for his murder. His guilty plea. He'll get life in prison without the possibility at parole. He'll be sentenced supposedly to four consecutive life sentences. I don't think that's adequate. I really don't. I think that the judge should reject this and make it go to trial. I think that's they have a death penalty on the books in Idaho. That's what this guy's afraid of. There's no guarantee that some crazy governor in Idaho ten twenty thirty, forty fifty years from now might not let this guy out. Because what happens is time heals all wounds and families break up, families move away, the victims. There's no one left to speak for the victims. These individuals were murdered as they slept at four four point thirty in the morning on a Sunday morning. Now, I don't know if you've ever been woken up suddenly at night in your home. You know, maybe it's a thunderstorm outside, or I don't know, something goes on. You really don't know what's going on. It takes you a little while to get your bearings. So this guy kills these four people. No mercy for them, no mercy for their age, mercy for their status, kills them, and he's now going to walk away guaranteed three square meals a day, a bed to sleep in every night. I'm not saying that I would want that, and I don't suspect most of you would want that, But it's a pretty sweet deal for this guy when you think about it. He'll be able to interact with other people. I'm sure that they'll give him psychological counseling. I'm sure that he'll eventually earn some of the privileges in uh in prison, be able to exercise in the sunshine, maybe correspond with people. You know, he's going to find Jesus in person, because everybody finds Jesus in prison. He'll have a Bible study group, he'll teach English as a second language, and he'll become a new person. But the people who he killed will still be dead, and their lives, the people that they might have married, the children that they might have produced, will never live. So he kills more than just four young people. He kills their lives and what those lives might have forgotten. Six six, seven, nine, ten thirty. The judge in this case, we're not going to be able to influence that judge would have the right to reject this plea deal. Let's hope that he does. But in the meantime, let me go to Doreen in Chelsea. Dorian, one of my regular calls, Hi, Dorean, welcome back. How are you.
Speaker 3: How are you doing?
Speaker 2: Dan doing great? I think I know what you're going to say on this one, but let's hear it.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I am how I am. Massachusetts is a very liberal state. I'm all for capital punishment from the beginning. Yep, I'm sorry, that's how I think.
Speaker 2: Well, there's nothing wrong with that. And if there was ever a case which would be easy to support, this would be it. I mean, I don't understand the people who will say, well he doesn't that's that's not what he deserves. You just heard Bishop Wright, who's a member of the clergy. He's a bishop. He agrees with us on this. This guy shouldn't be breathing the same here.
Speaker 3: Yes, and there's another case too. I want you to bring up in the futures about those three firemen the guy set Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well right, well, two of them are dead, one is in I think critical condition.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hear them see, I always watch the news, which might be a bad thing, but I like to be in farm that's going on.
Speaker 2: That was Sunday. That was Sunday. I mean that was about four thirty our time. I was watching I think the Red Sox game. And these four firefighters they scramble on a Sunday afternoon to go fight a forest fire which they don't know has been set, and when they get there, they're shot by a twenty.
Speaker 1: Year old, Right, a twenty year old, that's right?
Speaker 2: How can you be now? How can you get so screwed up at twenty? Did your ideas I'll set a fire and the firefighters will come and I'll shoot and kill a couple of them.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to repeat myself again. They shouldn't be delivered. They shouldn't be able to live, not even in prison. Just get rid of them.
Speaker 2: Well, you know this guy, the kid that shot and killed the firefighter's twenty year old, he apparently killed himself, so he saved the state.
Speaker 3: Of life, that's right. Well they found the rifle again beside him or something like that.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, at least he had the decency to take him. This this guy Coburger, he thought he was swart enough and he was going to be able to get away with it. I heard someone, yes the last hour, that he brought like a dustbuster with him. He was going to clean up to make sure there were no fibers, no hears left at the crime scene. He thought he was swater than everybody, and he almost right.
Speaker 3: So what do you call that? Manslaught and tension to kill?
Speaker 2: No, that's murder. That's murder, murder in the first degree, up close and personal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, So what's pre meta murder?
Speaker 4: Again?
Speaker 2: Premeditated murder is basically, you can you can form a judgment and a decision premed it A lot of people think premeditated murders you gotta sit down, you got to plant it out, you got to figure out when you're going to do it, how you're going to do it. That can be premeditated murder. But you're able to formulate, according to the law, what it's called P and D premeditation and deliberation in a matter of a couple of seconds. You know, if all of a sudden, you know, uh, me and slaughter is when uh, you know, a couple of guys get in a fight and one guy hits a guy with a lucky punch and he hits his head on a cement step and he dies. There was no intention for that guy. The guy threw a punch. It was dangerous. He shouldn't be throwing a punch. But first agreement, this kid was looking at first degree murder capital offense, first degree murder in Idaho, death penalty. And four he's the he's this is for not this is one to three, this is four.
Speaker 3: No way that he should now another thing to another case. That's hi profile out there. Okay, is that Kylie? You know that little Kylie that's kidnapped and killed by the father.
Speaker 2: In Idaho.
Speaker 3: No, it was on the TV. No right from there New Hampshire.
Speaker 2: Well, no, that's that's a little girl named Harmony.
Speaker 3: Harmony.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Yeah, well he's sorry. Yeah, he's been convicted in New Hampshire. So yeah, I mean, I don't want to go through them all, but I think you make some really interesting points. And again there are some just some sick people who do not deserve our money. Should not be spent on keeping this guy alive. That's all I'm saying. It could be spent in a lot, that's right. Anyways, you got it, Dorian, Thanks very much. You'll lit the phones up for us here doing good job. Thank you all right, have a great night. Six thirty. That's the only line open. Uh, we are gonna go next to nobody's waiting long. We got Lillian Walpole, Lauren and Plymouth John in New York and one that will get that name and the only one line six one, seven thirty dial. Now get through and we'll have you on coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Back to the phones we go. We're talking about the Brian Kolberger quadruple murder case in Idaho. He has been able, or I should say, the prosecutors were willing to accept a guilty plea of four murders and he will avoid the death penalty. Lily in Walpole, Hi, Lily, how are you hey?
Speaker 5: Good again?
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 5: Ton't I do great?
Speaker 3: Thanks for calling in excellent listen.
Speaker 5: I'm clong. My son was it when he's going to Emmanuel stamped four times and bring them shortly, and they caught the brothers that did it, but none of them did time. Because my son didn't want me to go on court and have to listen to what happened.
Speaker 2: Really, Yeah, I can understand he wants to protect you, but you didn't have to go to that one, right, I mean he would have had to have testified. I assume.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so he chose.
Speaker 2: He chose not to testify, and.
Speaker 5: Did they want I have no idea two and some kinds time in jail.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I really don't know really what happened. Really, I can't get anoganizen.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, how is your son doing?
Speaker 5: He's doing the way things?
Speaker 3: God?
Speaker 2: How long ago was the son the victim of this assault?
Speaker 5: Man? It was a tant and I think it was he's going on manual his I think it was like nineteen twenty nineteen. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm not going now.
Speaker 2: That's okay, So that's six years ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, fine, So I assume he's graduated from college at this point. Yeah, he's all his work and he's joined great front people.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, are on family radio here. You could say you could say something like I would, I'd be very upset. I'd be very angry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I wouldn't scratch my.
Speaker 2: Night, good night, Lily, thank you for your call. I'd say hello to your son for us. Okay, congratulations that he has survived. Lauren is in Plymouth. Hi, Lauren, how are you doing. Hi? Dan is back in town.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 7: So I'm driving and I'm on the Highway of US again. I think firing squad would be wonderful and they should put it on live television.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They could maybe make paid TV out of it and give the money to the families of the victims.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I think it's disgusting. I believe in crimes and passion, like as far as like you know, lesser murder charges for you know, crimes and passion.
Speaker 6: I do believe those.
Speaker 3: Again, there are there are cold blooded.
Speaker 7: Cold blooded, disgusting killers. Need to go immediately.
Speaker 2: This guy, this guy plea, he figured this out. You got to turn that radio down. You're going to be confused, radio Lauren, thank you turned the radio down. Are you you hear me? I can hear fine?
Speaker 3: Sorry, can you hear me?
Speaker 7: My thirteen year olds? My thirteen year old in the car, She can't believe I'm on the radio.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you are on the radio. But she's got to listen. She can listen to the whole thing tomorrow. She goes to nightside and demand she can listen to.
Speaker 7: Our inte Will I tell her about you all the time? She's into politics?
Speaker 2: Oh really? Okay, well some nights you someday maybe she'll be doing what I do, and that is a talk show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we have.
Speaker 7: We talked all about We talk about everything going on in the world all all the uh, you know, things happening all over the globe, not just the country. And it's a very Yeah, we're in a very sad state right now, I think, but I also think there's a lot of good things happening as well.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, you're right, and unfortunately the good things don't get the publicity that the bad things, Yeah, which is understandable, but it's still regrettable.
Speaker 6: She's good.
Speaker 7: He's going to school to be a you know, to save animals, you know, and I think that that's one of the best things you can do, you think, saving people, you know, saving animals, doing something for the you know, ecosystems, you know something that to save the earth, you know, jobs like that, those are the careers that are needed right now. We need to really pay attention to this planet. And these people walking on the planet are sitting in these jails who commit these disgusting crimes, they need to be extinguished. No, there's no question about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I think that on cases like this. This guy planned this assault, he circled around that night, his car was seen on videotape. There's no question about who it is. There, there's no scintilla of doubt now that he has confessed to it. In my opinion, some will say, well, maybe he confessed to it to avoid the death penalty.
Speaker 7: I gotta tell you, this guy, they even put that on the table.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, that's apparently the defense lawyers said to the prosecutors, offer us a deal. Most prosecutors, real good professional prosecutors, would say, no, I'm going to I'm going to get this. I'm going to convict news. Come on the other thing you're angry.
Speaker 7: About, go ahead, Sorry, sorry, sorry, That Boston bomber, that kid, I can't believe he's still breathing.
Speaker 2: Almost twenty years later.
Speaker 6: It's going to get pretty I mean, unbelievable.
Speaker 7: We need to start really you know, up and things up and start really uh you know, getting rid of all the bad stuff and start really focusing on the good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, well it was he was twenty and thirteen, so it's not twenty years, but it's over ten. It's now thirteen, so he's in his fourteenth year of his of his miserable existence.
Speaker 7: I have no sympathies, no sympti and whatsoever, not not not even and drop.
Speaker 2: Lord, keep calling this program. How are you doing? By the way, are you are you still working?
Speaker 1: Smoking?
Speaker 7: I quit smoking.
Speaker 2: That's a good thing. And you know what, do it for your daughter.
Speaker 6: Do it for my daughter and I are on the road right now.
Speaker 7: I did it for my daughter.
Speaker 2: You bet you.
Speaker 7: She made three She made three hundred dollars. So lemon need today.
Speaker 2: Oh that's not bad summertime.
Speaker 3: That's a good one.
Speaker 6: Cash business right next right next door to.
Speaker 2: Me, thea cash business. All right, Lord, keep hanging in there, talk to you soon.
Speaker 6: Thanks, all right, all right, ran, good night.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you're trying to call all of a sudden, we got a few open lines six one seven, so a couple six one seven, two five four ten thirty six pot seven nine three one ten thirty. Uh, this has been a great night, interesting night last night as well. We've had more women callers. Uh, in the last two nights. It's almost been fifty to fifty, which for me is perfect. H I always enjoy fifty percent women fifty percent men because we get all sorts of perspectives. Feel free. If you've never called before, become a first time caller. Right now at six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty or six one seven, nine, three one ten thirty. We are talking about what was three years ago. I mean three years ago. These students were alive. They probably were just started or about to start their college education, or maybe they were high school seniors. They went to the University of Idaho and Moscow, Idaho. Four of them were killed in one night, early in the morning, four thirty in the morning, by this guy, Brian Coberger. He was a graduate student. He's now thirty, so he was in his uh. He was twenty seven at the time of the murders. He plotted this out, He planned it. He was fascinated with people who committed crimes like this and how people could commit crimes and not be caught. That was his goal here was to commit a heinous crime and not be caught. Well, he committed four ainus crimes. He killed four young people, stole their lives, stole their future, from them, stole by the way, not only their lives and their future, but the future of the children that they might have had. Each of them could have turned around and gotten married and had a family. Their parents would have had grandchildren through with them, through them. It's so, it's it's it's it's the deaths of the four young people. It's the it's the the personal murder. He literally climbed on the bed while they were asleep. And again, if you can imagine one, it's like when remember when you wake up in the middle of the night you hear a noise. You don't even hear the noise. Unconsciously, your windows open and it gets cold and you wake up. Your where am I? What's going on? You're out of a deep, dead sleep. That's where these people were. Now, they may have been drinking, that may have contributed to it. But he goes into the rooms and he kills four the fourth and he thought he was going to get away with it. Well he didn't. But now he's been given the biggest break of his life. The prosecutor said, you plead guilty, We'll take the death penalty away. That prosecute isn't isn't worth Uh? The word prosecutor at the end of his name. He didn't prosecute the case. This was the case that should have been an easy case to prosecute.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Why let this guy off the hook? I don't know. Six. Feel free to join the conversation. We will talk a little bit later on tonight about tonight about the big beautiful bill that President Trump has been trumpeting. I'm not sure this big beautiful bill's gonna make it. I will explain that later on. Stay with us. My name is Dan Ray. We'll be back on nights side right after this.
Speaker 1: It's Night's Eide with Drays Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, back to the phones we go. Going to go next to John in New York, Ky. John, welcome back. How are you sir? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Hello, Dan, good evening. How you doing.
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 8: Dan, I'd like to know about this business for this case. So where where was this judge at This judge has authority, you know, I've been on journey duty. When a judge sees something going on that shouldn't be, he kicks people out.
Speaker 3: Of the courtroom.
Speaker 2: Right, That's what judges do.
Speaker 8: These prosecutors that have been kicked out of the courtroom and fired. Well, being a new group of people in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think the judge has the authority to do that. John, I think that that that obviously the the defense team, according to the prosecutors, if you believe them, approached them and said, give us a plea deal. If I was the prosecutor and say, what plead deal you talking about? Let's say plea deal? This is the case. Uh, this is a slam dunk. Why do we need to give you a plea deal?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, It's like, I don't understand what this is about. It's weird.
Speaker 2: Well it almost you wonder if it might be an embarrassment to the state of Idaho. We had Laurie on last hour. Could it be that there are powers that be who are saying, look, we just had you know, two firefighters killed last weekend who were responding to a fire that some nutjob set a twenty year old kid. He's now dead but apparently killed himself. But then you get this case hanging in the background. Maybe maybe the people who are in charge in Idaho are saying, let's get rid of this case. Let's just move it. Let's take his plea, put him away for life for life sentences consecutive life sentences. In theory, he won't get out. But I don't know what some governor's going to do thirty years from now in Idaho, do you wow?
Speaker 8: You know, No, I don't. But the thing is something in this case, they should allow members of the victims family to be on the firing squad and shoot this guy, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Well, that's assuming they want to, you know, I mean, I guess they have just reinstituted the firing squad, which is fine, but hey, I don't know.
Speaker 8: I'm sure there'd be some members that might be angry enough that might do It's all people involved. Oh yeah, go on, it's got to be at least two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm told. By the way, I got a text here from Laurie that says a little wrinkled. They play a game out here. Same in Montana, where a sitting judge will retire midterm. At that time, the governor appoints a replacement for the remainder of the term. He or she then has to run for election every four or six years in a nonpartisan contest. So maybe voters might have influence. Okay, so okay, that's kind of it. Here here in Massachusetts, New York as well. I think judges are all appointed by the governor of New York.
Speaker 8: Correct, I'm not sure on that, you know that. I don't remember, but I showed the Massachusets I should look into it.
Speaker 2: Well, in Massachusetts, the governor's appoint judges district quot and the governor's appoint clerks in some state clerks. In some states clerks get elected. It's it's all depending on what your state wants to do. So you'd go for the death battle, you'd go for the death penalty here, John.
Speaker 8: Right, of course you would.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, I'm with you know.
Speaker 8: One other thing quick before I run on about the thanks to to Dan Ray. Uh with the Facebook. You know the show you do before and after the program, the pregame as you recall, as you recall, I met the young lady on on Facebook. Yeah, you know, yeah, and it's still going on along and she's getting the passport ready soon and uh, we're going to meet one another very soon. It looks like in the future.
Speaker 2: Well, John, if it works out, invite me to the wedding.
Speaker 8: You know what I'm thinking. You know what I'm thinking about. You know what if it's a wedding it's just going to be a small little thing, right like at dinner. Yeah, and maybe we'll have it in Boston and you can be invited with your wife and you don't have to go that far.
Speaker 2: That would be That's that I'd be happy to do that. We could, we could.
Speaker 8: Help me and rage Boston, Boston. You got the harbor. You could have a honeymoon there. You know it's in a nice hotel.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's a great hotel, right, great hotel.
Speaker 4: The whole thing the whales.
Speaker 8: Did you ever see the wheals?
Speaker 2: Have I gone to see whale watchers? Whale watching? But I'm told, I'm told it's a great event, a great event me too. You know how old? I mean, how old is this is? This? Have you formalized this? John? Are you engaged yet or no?
Speaker 8: No? No, I have a ring though.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me ask you, John, Well, you have any idea how old this young lady is?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I told you the last time. You just you know, you kind of you dwell the moment. Let's say, throw baby, Well.
Speaker 2: How old is she?
Speaker 8: Thirty?
Speaker 2: She's thirty and you're older than she.
Speaker 8: I assume oh seventhy Okay, Well I would just doesn't care.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes John, look, do what you gotta do. But remember, as as your mother once told you, sometimes when something looks too good to be true, it can be to be true. That's all I'm saying. I don't want you to get You know, maybe this is the love of your life, and I would be delighted if you were brought together through Nightside. I'm serious when I say that. I'm totally serious.
Speaker 8: I know, I know. It's like you know, we'll see how it goes.
Speaker 2: It's faded, it's whatever you want to call it. It's karma. Okay, thank you for.
Speaker 8: Your combination advice and warning. Let's call it.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 2: Look, if if I consider people who call my show as friends, and you know, that's a I mean, look, she may be wonderful, and I hope she can't remember.
Speaker 8: You had that program just about a week or two before I met her about you had people calling in that were older than their wife. Do you remember that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Okay, you had guys that were like thirty and forty years older than their wife that were calling you and telling you about it. Do you recall that, yes.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: We might have been talking about Bill Belichick. That might have been what prompted that normally is something that prompts us. Look, I have friends who have had younger wives. I'm not knocking that. I'm just saying that, just you know, don't rush into anything and use your best judgment and that's all.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I mean, it's a possibility I might just end up being a sugar daddy, you know what I mean. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, you don't want to be that, trust me, No I don't.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, of course not. Yeah, well isn't it yeah, I will.
Speaker 2: Oh, it is very it is very costly, and it could be very costly. So yeah, just you know, Joe, what do you do for a living out there? You told me once before you work? I think in.
Speaker 8: General general Letri and Schenectady.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right, I was gonna say, I plant.
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, it's the it's the plant where we built the big power generators that light the cities.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful. That's beautiful.
Speaker 8: Oh it is. Oh yeah, they're big.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: I don't know if you have a soul on them. But what we built, it goes into power plants and sometimes nuclear runs it and sometimes you know, uh, the steam with the turbine, you know, burning gas and know all all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, we just I just want to tell you that we have had listeners in the Philippines before. Okay, so maybe someone told this woman about it. I don't know, but you know, just just use your best judgment. That's all.
Speaker 8: You get calls. You get people that call you from there.
Speaker 2: I had a fellow who used to call quite often from there. He was an American who had settled in the Philippines's name was Eugene.
Speaker 8: Oh okay, he was listening to your program online then, all right, of course, of course, yeah, yeah, Well I can listen to my car on on the on the on the groundway but night. You know a lot of times you can pick it up.
Speaker 2: In a car. It's what we call terrestual radio. And then you also can pull down the new and improved WB rather the iHeart app. You could make us your first free set on your.
Speaker 8: What's in my phone right now that I'm talking on you with you know what I mean that I'm listening to a program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and when you pull the app down, there's a red button with a white microphone. You make us your first preset and you can just press that button and you can leave us messages thirty second messages and when we do, Rob Robel play them. Rob. If you find some messages tonight, make sure you let me know and we'll play one of them for John.
Speaker 8: Okay, Oh really, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, it's just it's just another little feature. You know, a lot of a lot of stuff. Hey, John, we've gone really long here. I gotta get I gotta break here.
Speaker 8: And I understand I talk. Thank you, Thank you, buddy. I have a good night, Dan, Okay, you too much.
Speaker 2: Good night. All right, all right, let's uh take a quick break here on Nightside. Uh the only lines open are six one seven, coming right back on night Side.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on w Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go to the Phone's gonna go to John in debt Ham. You're correct, Rob, John and Debdham go ahead, John.
Speaker 4: Hey Dan, I think you hit it on ahead a couple of times. I'm sure you research people can look this up. Try to remember where this guy was on death Row. And I know he was a letter throw a victim's impact Sam. He was laughing at the victims family. He's basically saying I got air conditioning, I got three meals a day, I got three capable and I get to exercise every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Right, it's like there's no accountability anymore. I know this is a political statement, but it's kind of related. You know, you talk, you look at the stuff that's going on to Biden administration. All the Democrats want to say, oh, we're looking forward. There has to be accountability. When is there accountability? And we saw how easy it was for somebody in the Biden administration to pardon all these people. So, like you said, twenty years from now, there's no family members around to fight it. Can a governor pardon a murder of sentence?
Speaker 2: Oh, you can have you can have medical parole. During COVID, for example, there were plenty of people who were sent home and there's sentences.
Speaker 4: I remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're terminated, suspended or whatever, or they were turned into house arrest. Yeah. I mean there are circumstances, and circumstances change, and you look at crimes different and you know, the victims' families die and go away, and you know the parents of these kids are going to pass on, and maybe they're brothers and sisters if they have any, move to another part of the country and they don't want to be remembered as the siblings of a murder victim. So sad, but true, it changes, it changes, and it doesn't change for the better for society.
Speaker 4: So I talked how far we moved out from like nine to eleven, how angry we all were in nine to eleven. Now you know, it's almost like not even thought about anymore than when we lost three thousand people. And it's, like I said, it's like all it takes is didn't New Hampshire switch their laws and go for anybody who in death row is no longer in death row or something like that.
Speaker 2: No, I think that New Hampshire still has the death penalty. I stayed to be corrected on that. But there are states that well. In Massachusetts, they have changed life without parole. For example, they now say that if you were under the age of eighteen and committed a heinous crime for which you were given life without parole, that's unconstitutional because no one's mind is fully formed by the age of eighteen. So there's an example where a court comes in, So you have all of these these people, and again it's not a lot of them, but they committed horrific crimes. They have murder ie convictions, life without parole, and now they're parole eligible in fifteen years because some judges.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Massachusetts, somebody put up the marathon bout them before, and I was going to bring it up like this guy, I'm sure still gets to talk to his family on a regular basis, Like I don't understand.
Speaker 4: Anything, and you know better than I do. They say it's more expensive to put some of to death than to let him live his life in prison.
Speaker 2: By the way, I disagree. I disagree with that. If the marathon bomber was I think twenty when he went away, he's now more than thirty, he's thirty two. If he lives at actuarial tables till till he's eighty five, they're going to spend a heck of a lot more money than if they had expedited death. You know, you have lawyers just keep coming up with appeals. We're going to appeal this ineffective assistance and counsel. We're gonna appeel this issue. We're gonna appeal that. We're gonna appeal that. That's good to go back it's like it's an inexhaustible supply of appeals at some point. At some point, I think that when there's no question about someone's guilt, where there's no no doubt whatsoever, there's no scintilla of doubt, that's a standard that I would create, a no sintilla of doubt and aggravating circumstances like the marathon bombing. See you later, amigo. Your time is.
Speaker 4: Up, and I'll say one last thing is with extended appeals, as you just said, hire the extra judges, hire the extra government for government personnel. Twelve months. You have one year of appeals.
Speaker 2: Oh you could could you could make it. You could make it even you could make it much more liberal. You could say two, three, four years. But again depending upon the case. I mean, if if, if someone can has any potential to prove their innocence, they should not be killed by the state. But when there's no it isn't a question of, uh, we've convicted you beyond a reasonable doubt. No, we know that you did this beyond a scintilla of doubt. You know I I know beyond the sintilla of doubt that the sun rose this morning in the east. I believe the sun will rise tomorrow in the but I can't prove that yet.
Speaker 4: I totally agree with it. I think if that prosecution takes that plea deal, he needs to fired immediately. Whatever they do to get him either.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 4: I can't even imagine what these parents are going through. I can't imagine it all.
Speaker 2: John. I appreciate the call very much. We'll talk soon. Okay, thank you much, have a great night. Let me go to Bill in Pennsylvania. Bill, welcome back. How are you, sir?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm going good. Dan. How you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm fine. What's your take on this?
Speaker 6: Well? My take is what's worse for a prosecutor to take the death penalty off the table before the guy has trial is tried, or for president of the United States to pardon forty six out of forty nine death row inmates. And that is wait, okay, so you pardon forty forty six out of forty nine. What about the other three? I mean, yeah, the other the.
Speaker 2: Other three that they pardon. If I'm not mistaken, we're Dylan Ruth, the guy who killed the innocent black people at a church. Also the guy that I shot up the Tree of Life synagogue. In your estate near Pittsburgh and the Boston bomber.
Speaker 6: So they say, I'm saying. Yeah, what I'm saying is and here in Pennsylvania, Dan our governor has put a moratorium on on death penalty here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, what I would only say to you, Bill is elections have consequences.
Speaker 6: And that's that's right, that's.
Speaker 2: What a governor can do. We we had the death penalty in Massachusetts as recently as the year two thousand and because of the vote of one legislator, the death penalty was was eliminated. So yeah, you know, elections have consequences. That's so sad. I mean, it's it's it's when we run our society, as simple as that, you know.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But if a Dan, if a guy, if a guy says I'm against the death penalty, okay, like like uh President Biden, Okay, hey, I'm against the death penalty. It's against my my uh you know, my morals or whatever. So he pardons he partns forty six, but he let's three on there. I mean, that doesn't make sense at all.
Speaker 2: Well, it makes political sense because he didn't want to pardon again a racist in Dylan Ruth an anti semite in the guy a tree of life and uh uh the Boston barmber. Hey, Bill, I don't mean to cut you short. I want to get one more in before the break. I got it.
Speaker 6: Hey, Dan, did you did you hear what happened at the University of Penn today?
Speaker 2: Nope?
Speaker 6: Leah Thomas was stripped of all his her medals.
Speaker 2: Oh really, I didn't realize that. Okay, yeah, I'll look for that story tomorrow. There's a little bit of a news story. Thank you, Bill, help me go to Patrick and Charles town. Patrick going to get you anymby with the news.
Speaker 10: Go ahead, Patrick, here you doing Dan? Hey, listen that kind of interesting, sort of tangential take on this thing. Okay, obviously, I think you know if anybody deserves a death Pitlety is this guy. There was all the planning involved in all that, Yeah, absolutely all day long. But I had an interesting take. There's been something bothered me about this.
Speaker 4: And you know, Dan, you.
Speaker 10: Had this kid. Let me just hand me out for a minute. You have this kid. He has some type of disease. I don't know if it's Aspergers or whatever. He's a back kid in high school. He develops a believe it or not. A heroin problem. He he work, He drops out a community college. He gets himself somehow, gets himself back in shape, goes back to community college, graduates, gets a college degree, graduates, becomes a star student and a master's degree under one of the leading experts and criminology in the United States. Then him and this guy turned his life around. Man. He then gets set. He goes to Washington State. He finally is going to make his family proud.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 10: He gets there and he had an altercation with a professor in September twenty third of twenty twenty two. Within eight days, they had him called into a meeting. Within eighteen days after that, the professor wrote him up because they were going to put him on a performance a group of players.
Speaker 2: Patrick, here's what I got to do. I got Patrick, I have ten seconds left. I will hold you into the next hour. You can finish the story after the news. We got to break the break for the news. Patrick will finish the story. He's talking about Brian Colberger coming back on Night sid