Speaker 1: Stop college students. People are talking about Canning. We are hammah, just turns my stomach. Fifty five krs the talk station Ato six fifty five KRCD talk station and a very happy Tuesday. It being Tuesday at eight oh six, it is that time of week. Get the inside scoop with bright Bart News b R E I T B A r T dot com book Market. You will be glad you did because you get to read there the stuff written by Senior editor at Large Joel Pollock. A return to Joel Pollock. Welcome back, Joel. Love having you on the show.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, good morning to you.
Speaker 1: And Shenanigan's declaration for the state of California and the leftists that run it feels so sorry for a lot of Californians. But they voted what they get what they voted for. And uh they reaction to Donald Trump and hitting the around sprinting he is fifty million dollars to fight Donald Trump's agenda in the courtroom. Tell us all about this. I read your article on it over at bright Bart Joel.
Speaker 2: Well, let me just back it up for a second. So it is true that California as a whole voted for the mismanagement of Gavin Newsom and the Democrats. That is true. But I'm going to defend my community here and say that my community did not vote for wildfires that destroy the entire town, for fire hydrants that don't have water in them, for police that don't show up to direct traffic, and an evacuation, for a mayor that goes overseas when she knows there's an extreme weather event coming. My part of the town voted for the mayor's opponent, Rick Caruso, who is a real estate developer, who managed to defend his property using private firefighters. So there's some political diversity in California.
Speaker 1: Pockets of sanity, Joel, pockets of sanity.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, but I want to blame my neighbors.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, And I didn't I know. It's paint with a broad brush, Listen. I lived in Chicago for eight years, man, and it's difficult to be a conservative there. But you know what, the rest of the state is more conservative and they feel ill served because of the massive population. The city of Chicago's corrupt as it is, But I get it. But on that note, Joel, while we're there, do the folks that invited this type of mismanagement, and have they woken up after the realities were unfolded the mismanagement, the you know, the misspent money, the water that isn't flowing, and in the reaction to the wildfires. Do you think that's going to have an impact longer term?
Speaker 2: Well, it's really just too early and too close to me personally to speculate about politics.
Speaker 1: I'll just tell you what's going on.
Speaker 2: So the residents of Pacific Polisades are really waging a baliant fight to rebuild the community after the wildfires of January, and without the intervention of the Trump administration, it would not be happening because the city and state governments don't know how to build anything, and they are throwing up all kinds of roadblocks that only the residents working with the Trump administration have been able to overcome. And you know, in the beginning, they didn't want to let people go to their property even to start sifting through the rubble or start clearing it out. When Trump was here on January twenty fourth, he told the mayor that residents needed to be let in right away, So that happened. Then they can't sort out the system of permits that would allow the Army Corps of Engineers to start clearing the debris, or that would let people hire private contractors to clear the degree from their own sites. That's also something that Trump administration has had to intervene to do. And we're still getting the run around from La County. I remember, we have Los Angeles City and Los Angeles County, two lairs of government, both dysfunctional in their own special way, and we are having to figure out how to make them work finally for the benefit of the residents who want to rebuild. And if they don't work, you're just going to have empty lots on the most beautiful real estate in the world, really, because this little portion of Los Angeles is built on a hillside that overlooks the Pacific Ocean that is at the base of the Santa Monica Mountains. It's really spectacular and it's an incredible community, wonderful people. But we've had to band together and help each other out to figure out how to circumvent the red tape and how to deal with politicians who are functioning as big city politicians do in Democrat jurisdiction. The latest scandal is that they hired this consulting firm supposedly to rebuild the city. They did it behind closed doors. No one knows what the firm's supposed to do. No one knows how much they're supposed to earn from this. And they're from Evanston, Illinois, which is my old stomping ground, which to ask me, doesn't really know how to manage very much either. No, these consultants are going to come in and tell us what to do with our town after they basically mismanaged Evanston. You know, Evanston didn't even have a city manager for several years. It's spent one hundred thousand dollars just on looking for a city manager because they couldn't find one, and they had one for a while, but she was too pro police for the Black Lives Matter crowd, so they rejected her. I mean, that's Evanston, Illinois, and what they're going to send us someone and knows something about rebuilding. They also got tied up in this corruption scandal during Hurricane Sandy because two of their consultants were discovered to have defrauded New York City using reimbursements for housing and for travel expenses. They pleaded guilty so we were bringing this group in to rebuild LA. It's just nuts. And I think that we are applying a level of scrutiny here to these elected officials in California that they've never actually seen before, because you're right in a sense that the electorate generally takes what they're given here in California because they say the right things about social issues. They have the left wing positions, and they fight those nasty Republicans and the bad Orange Man. But it turns out the bad Orange Man cares more about the residents than Democrats do. So I do think people are having a change of heart. But really we're not focused on the next election right now. Right now, we're just focused on clearing the debris and getting the houses going again.
Speaker 1: Well and apparently not landscaping. Recording an article I read about Gavin Newsom, he's prohibiting people from planting a vegetation within five feet of their homes. Yeah, this is crazy.
Speaker 2: So clearly newsen doesn't understand what caused the fire and how the fire is spread. But they're gonna blame climate change. They're gonna blame vegetation near people's homes. You know, my house did very well, we've got lots of plants around our house. My house did not burn even though it was in the center.
Speaker 1: Of the fire.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's because some of the vegetation actually kept the fire off the house. So there are some species evidently that are fire resistant. Ficus trees, for example, they're very thirsty, they drink a lot of water. They kind of destroyed my vegetable garden, but they're very fire resistant for that reason because they store so much water in their trunks and branches and leaves and so forth, and so telling us what to plant, that's what the state has decided it needs to do. There's no reevaluation of overall water policy, overall forestry emergency services, a crazy insurance policy that has resulted in insurance companies leaving the state and dropping consumers. So they're not focused on anything that really matters. They're just going to try to regulate their way out of the pr crisis that just created for them.
Speaker 1: Well, do you anticipate the rumors were flying in the during the raging part of the Fire's Joel that somehow this was I don't want to say intentional. There's conspiracy theorist out there all over, but look, there was all kinds of dry vegetation, sparks happened, and wildfire's raised. It's been happening in California for a long time. Hew Bad Religion wrote a song about it. So you have all this awareness of potential for fires. But like what happened in Lehina, with those homes that are now, they can't rebuild them the way they originally built, and they're planning on remaking that entire city into something it wasn't before. Conveniently they've burned all to the ground. Do you anticipate these rules and regulations having an impact on maybe the size of homes and whether or not they can be equipped with Oh, I don't know, gas lines or something. I mean, is this going to be the fifteen minute city remaking, Joel?
Speaker 2: That's what people are afraid of. People are worried about that kind of intervention. I don't see that happening just yet. But I do think that they're going to try to put a stamp, put a kind of liberal or climate change stamp on whatever the rebuilding is, and they're not really going to address the fundamental issues, which are the poor design of the water system, the poor design of some of the roads. For example, there's one part of town that only has one road in, one road out for thousands of residents. They're not going to change that, going to change the Santa Monica Mountain Conservancy and how they deal with brush and brush clearance and fire breaks. They need to the residents want them to, So maybe it'll happen if residents continue to be as active as we've been. But left to their own devices, the local officials would simply remake California in their image, and that's the problem. Their policies have led to this disaster well.
Speaker 1: And the frustrating part for me, just being an outside observer, that there was a lot of money, literally millions, if not billions of dollars allocated for clearance projects to get rid of the brush, to do forest maintenance, responsible for its maintenance, and anytime they try to engage in one of those projects, environmental groups would pop up and sue them to stop it in its tracks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there have been huge problems with that. In fact, fire creders have told me that they are frustrated with the fact that environmental groups won't let people clear brush in certain areas that would reduce the risks not eliminated, but the risk of wildfires to structures and reduce the risk of the out of control blazes that we've seen where you know, one structure goes up and then there are embers that fly and hit the next structure. So we have a problem in California where because of the beautiful weather and the beautiful natural resources the coastline, the mountains and what have you, people get the idea that we can make life perfect here by creating a utopia. So that's what we plan for. So Gavin Newsom wants to get rid of all the gas powered cars and have an electric vehicle future. By twenty thirty five, you can only buy electric vehicles, but he doesn't think about the worst case scenario. And actually, the EPA is in my town right now clearing out electric vehicles because it turns out that the lithium ion batteries are pretty hazardous and a fire. So it's just a misorientation. The purpose of government, the first and fundamental purpose, is to protect the lives and property of the people. So you've got to deal with that before you deal with whatever pie in the sky utopia you want to create. Because frankly, we're human beings, and only God can create perfect things. We create imperfect things. And so when we create our imperfect things, we need to create systems that deal with failure, not systems that are guaranteed to succeed, because we can't guarantee anything excellent.
Speaker 1: Observation Joe Pollock from Breitbart Do you have do you expect? And I know many people were kind of caught with their pants down because they didn't have insurance. They couldn't afford insurance. Perhaps maybe the insurers left the state because of the the the outrageous risk analysis there actually said, you know, we shouldn't be here because of the fire risk. Do you anticipate an exodus of a lot of people? They just going to give up. I can't rebuild. It's going to take too long. I have I have to get out of here.
Speaker 2: I think a few people will say that, but I think most people are committed to rebuilding because Specific Palisades wasn't is such a special place. It really was a small town in LA where everybody knew it body, where kids played baseball incessantly in the public park, and where people went to church on Sunday and the farmers market, and it's just an idyllic place. People really loved it. It was a down to earth community.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The New York Times has really defamed us. They've said, oh, you know, it's a bunch of rich people.
Speaker 1: Most people in.
Speaker 2: The town, although they are rich on paper because of the value of the property, they didn't start out rich. And many of the homeowners, especially the elderly homeowners, bought right after the Second World War, when most of the housing stock was just two bedroom bungalows. So this is a town of ordinary people, some extraordinary people, but it's really just a great American town, and people want to preserve that. So I think most people are going to try to do that if they can, if the government doesn't get me away.
Speaker 1: Ford Park Company. Joe Pollock. Obviously, this is a This is so personal to you because you live there in the heart of where all this happened. It had to have impacted you psychologically, pacted your life, like the death of a loved one kind of thing, or like living through the horrors of World War two. If you were, you know, in London being bombed, I mean, what how do you cope with that? Joel? We just move forward.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're Americans if you drive around the town right now, you'll see American flags on a lot of the destroyed property. Is a giant's American flag. I mean it must be like fifty feet by one hundred feet or something, hanging from one of the homes on the hillside overlooking Sunset Boulevard. You can't drive into town from the east without seeing it. So we're Americans rebuilt. We don't give up. But California sureius trying to make us do that, But we're not going to give up.
Speaker 1: Joel Paul Locke, Senior aut at Large, Breitbart Bookmarket, Breitbart dot Com. God bless you, Joel. I wish you all the best of luck in the world helping to rebuild your community, and I appreciate your optimism in the face of all this tragedy and all these seemingly insurmountable hurdles. I wish you like all the luck in the world, my friend. Thank you, sir. I'll look forward to having you back on the fifty five Carsy Morning Show real soon. Keep it up State nineteen cod to eight, twenty fifty five Krsity Talk Station, Daniel Davis Deep Dive Bottom of the Hours. Zelensky caving to Trump's offer, Hamas said, no, it's over. We're not going to give up any more. Hostages and Tulsa Gabbard close to confirmation. He's a fan. We'll talk to him next. Don't go away fifty five KRC