Speaker 1: I need to preface this conversation by saying I was I never got Pee Peewee. I never got it. I don't hate him, I don't. I'm not a hater on him. I just never got into it and wasn't really my thing. I do appreciate the character and what he you know, what he built out of his mind into a character. But now there's a Pee Wee Herman documentary, Pee Myself?
Speaker 2: Is that what it's called? Pee as Himself?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's streaming and you guys both watched it over the weekend.
Speaker 3: What do you think, jb uh, It's it's really impressive. First of all, you I think one of the first takeaways is you realize what a genius artist he was.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You don't think of it that way. You just think of it as a guy who's goofing and stumbled into this.
Speaker 2: But he was.
Speaker 3: He was a true artist, and you know, and he was part of Groundlings, which is a lot about creating characters grounds the Chicago La La Improv troup, and that's how he got I always wondered how he got connected with Phil Hartman. We're talking about that because they were in Groundlings together and he did a lot of different characters, and then that was the one that took off. He's so likable, I said to my wife yesterday. I was like, man, I would have really liked to have been friends with Paul Rubins. But he was such a he was a very introverted artist, Like we didn't know anything about him personally, really because he intentionally kept it that way in it also, And I'd love your thoughts on that trich. It was kind of it was very sad. His existence was was quite sad. And then the accusations, well there's the incident in the theater and the accusations of child pornography, which were not true.
Speaker 2: Right at all.
Speaker 3: He was a he was an avid collector of many, many, many, many random things really many like warehouses full of them. And one of those things just happened to be like male erotica type stuff.
Speaker 2: Magazines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they were going through all this stuff and it they made it. It's just the public eye reads the headlines. They don't know the rest of the story. And so everyone kind of wrote him off as a pedophile to a certain degree, right, Well, the character you played didn't help, Yeah, but people loved him. I'm one of those people that just loved him, you know, for what he had created. And even after all of that, you know, there's some acceptance he could see that people loved him. I don't know, it's just the whole thing's just it's just a bit of a tragedy. It's just really really sad.
Speaker 1: I have a question and you guys, I want to hear what you thought about the doctor Tutors. But he is he one of those guys that found himself living the character, like because he would do the talk Circuit as p as pee Wee, he never did it as Paul Rubens. So did he find himself it was it difficult for him to detach from pee Wee Herman and be Paul Rubens? Or was he just constantly live in the pee Wee characters. That's a good question. I let you answer that, Trician.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So basically what happened is he had he created He was so creative. He created hundreds of different characters. When he was in the Groundlings, he would come up with all these characters. He had a chance to go in audition for SNL and he picked a few of his characters and they didn't hit. He didn't get the job. Somebody else got the job. Who is it who got the job? The loud little guy Gilbert Godfrey got the job instead.
Speaker 2: Paul Rubins would have been better.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think so too, But at that time, his pee Wee character was getting some traction. So after he didn't get SNL, he scrapped all of the other characters that he created and focused only on pee Wee and he only did interviews as pee Wee because it was a way to also keep his anonymity. And the first time the public ever saw Paul Rubins not as pee Wee Herman was his mug shot for when he got he.
Speaker 3: Could have he could have easily cruised around in the general public and people wouldn't know who he was, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: Oh that's probably pretty nice, right.
Speaker 5: And at the time that he got busted, he's like, here I go from being the Saturday Morning Kids host, pee Wee Herman, the man child, and then my mugshot makes me look like Charles Manson because he had a goatee in long black along brown hair.
Speaker 2: His hair was very long, and he was like, yeah, it was terrible.
Speaker 1: That's why I've always thought it was JB's so important for us to be really honest on the radio. I always used to think, well, by getting a bar fight and putting some guy out, it shows up in the front page the Austin Marriage surprised.
Speaker 3: If I did something perverted, right, Yeah, people would not be surprised with all the things I've said on the air, right exactly.
Speaker 5: The other thing that was so sad about him having to he concealed it because he went in anonymity, but also he concealed his sexuality. He was like, if they find out that I'm a children's TV show host, you know.
Speaker 3: And gay, and yeah, keep in mind he was born in the fifties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was so accepting.
Speaker 3: He Yeah, he grew up where you know, being gay was, you were still in the closet.
Speaker 2: But a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Working, Yeah, a lot of young gay people don't realize how hard it was back then. I'm not saying it's easy now, right, but back then it was really hard.
Speaker 5: He was out for a while in the seventies, and then when he we hit and it was a children's show, he actively He's like, in here, I put myself right back in the closet and was really kind of alone for years. He sacrificed his personal life and happiness for his career and the character for a long time.
Speaker 2: Another part I thought was interesting, like.
Speaker 3: He genuinely loved the building an entertaining children's show. Yeah, Like he was passionate about it and thought it was great and creative and fun and like it was. It was not just oh, I want to be famous? Did you feel that way?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 3: He really wanted to be a you know, a well thought of children's.
Speaker 5: Show, right, And he gave one thousand percent for every week. And he was not good at delegating out. He was very hands on, kind of controlling, like even when the guy who's doing this documentary is talking to him, like Paul Rubins is talking about how it's not okay with me that I don't have control of this documentary, and he's like, I to one hundred percent trust you yet, but I don't like it that I don't know what you're doing next. Like he was very vocal about this is not normally how I work. And the craziest thing, too, is the guy make this documentary didn't even know that he was sick, and the final interview that they were supposed to have with him was actually scheduled for one week after Paul Ribbins died and the guy doing the documentary didn't find He found out like all the rest of us did on an Instagram post.
Speaker 2: He had no idea who was sick. He died of two different types of cancer.
Speaker 1: Would as I started this conversation with saying that I was, I would never end up pee wee. So would I still enjoy watching it documentary?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, maybe it's just it's just an interesting to know of a career in a path to fame and yeah, and all of that, and then the fallout and dealing with that. It's it's a human story. Yeah, and the comeback that he made and doing some acting as Paul Rubens and then he finally did do his first interview as Paul was was that on Letterman or Letting?
Speaker 2: It was Letterman or Conan?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he came out and he did one as in the crowd goes crazy.
Speaker 2: They loved him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And in the middle of him being persecuted for the dirty movie theater arrest, there were crowds outside of CBS because they canceled a show and they were protesting, we don't care, bring him back. He's human, Bring save pee Wee. People were going, that's how much people loved the character.
Speaker 2: That's good. Yeah, it was good. I mean I think it helps.
Speaker 5: I think you'd like it more if you were if you loved pee Wee like I loved him.
Speaker 2: And tell me tell me the name of the of the documentary again, pee Wee as himself. One of the things that was interesting too is.
Speaker 3: Somebody was interviewing Phil Hartman talking about it and there was some bad blood there. Oh, and I think it was tell me if I'm if I got this right, Tricia. Basically, you know they came from groundlings. He was on the show with him, Laurence Fishburne, who we talked about before. But it's it's like he got big with the movie deals and didn't take Phil Hartman along with him. Yeah, and there was some resentment like he blew up and he didn't take Phil, who was there from the beginning with him. Now, it worked out fine for Phil Hartman to get SNL right eventually, but there was some bad blood there.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 1: Interesting pee Wee as himself. It's streaming on HBO Max HBO. Is that what it's called now?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. I think Eye Consciousness Max on my TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go. Check it out. It's the JB and Sandy Show. Thanks for being with us. If you're just joining us, stay caught up by streaming the podcast version of the show. Search JB and Sandy on the iHeart Radio app war coming up on Austin's eighty station one O three point one. Hey, it's JB and Sandy for our friends at Kowala Cooling Scott and Stacey. You know the same great people behind kangaroof that I've been telling you about for a while. They are the same people that own Koala Cooling and Plumbing. They're great people to know, and they're really great to know if you've got AC problems.
Speaker 3: When I do big, big decisions like this, I'd like to know the owners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've met Scott and Stacey, great people.
Speaker 3: You do not want to get caught with your pants down in Texas with a broken air conditioner. The way to prevent that, even if your AC's working fine right now, is to set up a service plan, have them come check it, and it may end up saving you a bunch of money. If you're unfortunately in the need of help right now, call them immediately to get you cooled off again because it's only going to get worse in the next few months.
Speaker 4: And don't forget about plumbing.
Speaker 1: If you've been putting off for repair for a leaky faustit or a clogged drain, Kowala can help you out with that too. Contact them at Kowala Cooling dot com or call five one two seven eight eight hundred.
Speaker 2: One three point one Austin.
Speaker 1: It's the JV and Sandy Show and you can now save us as a preset on the iHeartRadio. It's Austin's AD station one O three point one. JB got overruled by his wife and spent the weekend doing something he didn't want to do. We're going to get into that in just a second. I know what it's like to get overruled. It's just that has somehow you just get overruled. I don't know how it happens, but it does. But before we get into that, JB, you're the first person I've offered this too, so you may want to jump on it. Do you have any interest in an American Eagle twenty twenty five one ounce silver uncirculated coin.
Speaker 2: Now I bought this late night TV.
Speaker 4: I bought. I accidentally bought two of them.
Speaker 1: No, I bought two American Eagle twenty twenty five one ounce silver dollars. They're uncirculated, they were just made at the mint in West Point, New York, and they debuted at the highest price ever for a silver dollar. And I meant to buy one, I accidentally bought two and I can't cancel and I can't return it.
Speaker 2: How much were they?
Speaker 3: Can?
Speaker 2: I ask that?
Speaker 3: Do?
Speaker 2: I want to know? It can't be that expensive?
Speaker 1: No, they're not that. I mean each coin was ninety one dollars, ninety five dollars and it's value on the street a dollar. No, how does this work? Well, you just play in the market on the price of silver, you know what I mean? And I bought two of them because I read one article that said they were they they viewed the highest ever that a silver coin. It's the most they've ever charged for one, So that means it'll probably go down. I'm just saying, I've got this weird coin thing going on, yeah right now?
Speaker 5: But how did you not notice when you checked out that your total wasn't one hundred dollars and it was two hundred dollars ambient.
Speaker 2: Free time. That's the reason.
Speaker 1: Hey, but look now, look if it goes up in value, we've doubled, we'll have to double the earnings.
Speaker 5: Andy, And is the reason that that role of the coins that you ordered it took so long to get here because he entered half of our home address in the other half of the studio address.
Speaker 2: So how it actually made it here?
Speaker 5: I have no idea, Andy, testament to the United States Postal Service.
Speaker 2: Great job, no interest, JB.
Speaker 3: Nah, I think I'm going to pass on that one. But you keep me posting on a future deals.
Speaker 4: I'll add you to my email list.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, So JB got overruled having to do something that he didn't want to do.
Speaker 2: All weekend, I spent my whole weekend painting the inside of a house.
Speaker 3: So my daughter has not been enjoying apartment life. She just doesn't like it. I thought she'd like all the amenities and all that. She's like, Nah, she just wants a little more privacy and play louder music and you know, stuff like that.
Speaker 2: And she doesn't like going in and out.
Speaker 3: Of the building. Her actually, her mopead was stolen from her apartment and just I don't know, she just didn't have a good experience, and so we rented her a little house.
Speaker 2: It's in Rosedale. What cute neighborhood. Yea, love it, love it.
Speaker 3: And so here's the good in the bad. Right, So anything any home, any actual just physical home. It's not a duplex, not a town home.
Speaker 2: It's a house.
Speaker 3: Any house, because of the dirt alone is worth a lot, right, So the landlords have a total upper hand.
Speaker 2: There were three college.
Speaker 3: Students living in there before, because it's just Rosdale's just close enough to ut and all that. So there were three students living there. And it's a tiny, little three bedroom you know, the beds barely fit in the rooms, but you know they in. The agent that showed it to us was very candid and on She was like, look, you know, I mean I looked at like the estimate, you know, the Zillow's estimate for whatever that worth. It's like seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars, and she's renting it for a couple of grand a month.
Speaker 2: Right, that's right, not bad, right.
Speaker 3: And the agent was like, look, this woman owns nine or ten properties. She's sitting on them for a long time. She will make sure everything works, but she's not gonna put money into it.
Speaker 1: I mean, she's not gonna do anything cosmetically exactly. So make sure the roof doesn't leak, and the yeah as she makes the ace, make sure the ac works and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: But uh so, my wife is like, well, if we buy the materials and painted ourself, will you deduct that from the next month's rent.
Speaker 2: And she said, oh, surekact. And it's made a massive difference.
Speaker 3: Those students living there, they scuffed up every wall and there's holes everywhere.
Speaker 2: Like you didn't do the same thing in college.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, but it's uh so, I spent the whole week in painting and at first I was like, oh, let's just hire somebody, you know, and then it's like trying to save some money. My wife loves stuff like this, and I asked her about it. I go, do you just like taking your brain off of things? You know what I mean, to take your mind off of things and just man annual labor.
Speaker 2: She loves it. I, on.
Speaker 3: The other hand, can walk around without thoughts quite often.
Speaker 5: That's something like you're blessed you, that's a blessing.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm not out there seeking that tuning out if you will, because I do it often.
Speaker 2: You're trying to tune in most of the time, stay exactly.
Speaker 3: But I avoided a lot of the painting that because I just there were so many leaves that it was attracting mosquito.
Speaker 2: I was obsessive. I was like, I'll do the yard stuff.
Speaker 3: So I spent a good chunk of the weekend, especially Saturday, just bagging leaves and getting all that stuff out there and sprain for mosquitos and pressure washing.
Speaker 2: The little patio and yeah.
Speaker 3: So and then when all that stuff ran out, I was like, oh crap, I guess I gotta go.
Speaker 2: And she is just such a perfectionist too.
Speaker 3: I I did like I was doing the rollers and she would do the trim, and she's like, yeah, I'm gonna have by you know, Sunday evening.
Speaker 2: She's like, I'm gonna have to go back and roll over some parts.
Speaker 3: Miss Well, I didn't miss them entirely, it's just needs some some there. You can tell where there's layers, you know. Yeah, yeah, she's gonna redo half of what I did, I think, But but.
Speaker 1: At some point you go knock yourself out. I did my best, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now I'm now I'm cleaning up what remains. We have some overlap, which is nice, you know we have We had her apartment through June and then got this in June, so we have time right now. The next thing is getting all you know, paint splatters off the floor, not from us, from previous stuff.
Speaker 2: It's been caked on there for a long time. How many trips to home depot do you have to make this week?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, you know, Luckily is she in that neighborhood Rosedale. She's not far from breeding Company on twenty nine. Love that store, you know, not the cheapest, but it's convenient. It's great. But yeah, several trips to breeding company. By the way, did you know, I don't know if they do it at the breeding company in Westlake? Did they do it at the one by campus? Sell Antone sandwiches really remember we used to get those off Industrial in Dallas. It's really a people from Houston are all obsessed with Anton sandwiches, at least of our Yeah, they saw them at HGV.
Speaker 2: Love me some Antone put on it. Yeah, you like a couple of those. This weekend.
Speaker 4: Christ Have you ever live in that neighborhood in Rosedale?
Speaker 2: You lived everywhere else.
Speaker 5: Right, No, Rosedale's one of the ones I didn't lived in. I lived right on the other side of Mopac in Terrytown. Yeah, lived in a couple of houses over there, a couple of garage apartments, Terry.
Speaker 3: Rosedale's super cute. You guess, like everything's within a few blocks of her.
Speaker 2: M hm, that's good.
Speaker 3: You got Central Market, you got a People's Pharmacy, you got Rudy's Barbecue, You've got uchiko Is in the neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, remember Draft Horse Pub?
Speaker 4: Got that Chili's too, chili the world famous chili's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a Chili's right there at forty fifth in Guadaloupe. Right.
Speaker 1: You know why that's popular, right, that the memes about that chili because someone there was some article that was written about the best margarita in Austin, and someone said it was at that chili. Oh, come on, that's how dumb they were with someone in.
Speaker 2: New York tell me one of the best fried onions.
Speaker 1: Not a market, right, But that's why it became such a meme, that chili, because it's like, yeah, the best margarita in Texas is at Chili's in Rosedale.
Speaker 2: Sure it is, Sure it is.
Speaker 3: But it's like such a cute neighborhood. And you know when you when it's your daughter, you want them to live somewhere, do you feel it's Yeah, And it's a bunch of young families that have fixed up some of those great old homes.
Speaker 2: Super cute. That's super cute. Love it.
Speaker 3: Garage, no garage, no garage, but she I mean there's a little gravel drive she can pull in and park park on the street.
Speaker 2: To love it.
Speaker 1: When Aaron kitsch you out, you got a place to go. It's the JB and Sandy Show. Follow us on Instagram at JB Sandy a t X. Also same handle on TikTok if you want to be our very I don't think we have any followers there yet. I hardly mentioned it, but you can be our first follower on TikTok. I know I got to start tiktoking. I know, tiktoking it up as I was. I was holding out.
Speaker 2: I know I have two I haven't done it at all. I was like, it's just too much stuff. But now looks like we're getting sucked in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, somebody was telling me, was one of you guys, that TikTok doesn't have all those filter as many of the filtering algorithms.
Speaker 2: It actually shows your content more people that you telling me about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, TikTok pushes your stuff out more than Facebook and more than Instagram and all that stuff. So I posted some videos on Instagram if you want to check them out. I'm trying to remember which ones they were to be honest with you. Oh, talking about the body count in Ladybird Lake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, boy, that's a hot button with people, oh man.
Speaker 1: So check it out at JB Sandy ATX on Instagram. Same thing on TikTok.
Speaker 4: Hey, thank you very much for listening.
Speaker 1: Make sure you listen to the radio every morning to six until ten on Austin's eighty station, What three point one