Speaker 1: And now it's time for Joe Escalante live from Hollywood. If my Hollywood you mean Burbie across the street promo meaners and it's that serves beer.
Speaker 2: Joe Escalante here, Hey, Sam, I can't hear myself in the headphones. But it could just be a headphone problem for me. Can you hear me?
Speaker 3: It'd be nice if I turned on my own mic. Yes, I hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 2: It'd be better. I from as long as America can hear me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll find something that I'll come in over and make sure that you can actually hear yourself. How about now? Can you hear yourself? Now?
Speaker 2: No, I can't hear I mean, I guess it's just a headphone problem. So these are my headphones. So wait a second. I think I can kind of hear myself now, and now I can. Could you do something new? Oh, you have a new board?
Speaker 3: Come on, I have a new board. But I did not touch that. Come on, but it's a nice new board.
Speaker 2: Good for you and your board. Thank you, nice new board. Oh okay, this is two hours of the business. End of show business. Do this every Sunday right here in KiB eleven fifty on your AM dial. People are now just kind of I don't know if they're laughing at me or if they're just think it's so cool that I am an AM radio talk show host, that I'm on AM radio. I'm not on some podcast where guests come in and they serve them tapwater. This is a real iHeart station. This is good old fashioned AM radio. So you made the right choice by tuning in at this time. If you are listening to it as a podcast, there's hope for you. But get yourself an AM radio.
Speaker 3: It's badass. Yeah, it's like what hipsters have with Banjo's ten years ago.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right, and then the cassette craze. This is it. This is the next thing, the am radio thing. Absolutely, I might grow beard.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: See you're ahead of me there. I see there's a new board in here. Do they have a clock?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I still have the same clock in here. It's it still works.
Speaker 2: But what about the like the host gets to see the clock and can like, you know, hit the marks and stuff like that. I have a clock on my computer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's stick with that. Let's not overload the new studio or the new board.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, as I said, two hours of the business end of show business, which also includes a lot of defamation cases. Everybody soon everybody for defamation. So we're going to start this show before we get to the box office and all that stuff. Let's start with a little defamation. I want to go ahead and pull up that defamation theme song. Oh we don't have one, all right, Well it's something to think about. Uh. There's a prominent defamation lawsuit pitting French President Emmanuel Macron and his wife, Brigitte rep Macron against conservative podcaster Candace Owens. Have you heard about this one, Sam?
Speaker 3: I have not, but I know Candace Owens is kind of trying to get her name out there a little bit more, or saying things that more and more people are finding disagreeable.
Speaker 2: I guess poor or again a people love her. I've had people that come to me, are you watching Candace Owe's on on YouTube? She's amazing that. I watched her, and I thought, you know, I'm a pretty conservative person, so I go, okay, well you know, uh, but then I thought, okay, she's bold, and yeah, she's causing fireworks. And then she started talking about something that I happen to know a lot about And then I was like, wait, she doesn't know what she's talking about on this subject, so maybe she doesn't know what she's talking about on other subjects. Is what I had to conclude. And I, you know what, I've been kind of radicalized by podcasts in a way where I don't believe anybody any any I don't believe anything anybody says anymore. But this one is juicy, So let's dive into it. Sam. Now, as we go into this defamation case, our listeners will know from listening to this show, what are the elements of a defamation case that you have to have to win a deformation case? Number one? Sam, what is it?
Speaker 3: It makes me spit on the ground?
Speaker 2: Two? Yeah, it has to be something terrible that they say it makes people spit on the ground. Hawk two girl is I don't know why you're bringing her up.
Speaker 3: No, it was just a iron chic reference.
Speaker 2: Oh, iron cheek. Okay, you're BRONI Yeah, okay, So it has to be something that makes people spit on the ground. And what's the other one?
Speaker 3: It has to be provably false.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has to be not true.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So and then if it's a celebrity. Then you need this higher level of malice. There has to be something that they know it was false. They knew it was false, and they had an agenda to harm the person. That would be a good case of malice. So this lawsuit filed by these French people in our own American Delaware court accuses Candas Owens of repeatedly spreading the false claim that Brigitte Macron is a man. According to the Macrones legal team, this amounts to a campaign of global humiliation. The lawyer stated that the law suit was just, you know, a last resort of sorts after years of unsuccessful attempts to get Owens to retract her statements. Did they go as far as to show the private parts? No, they didn't. They said that they don't want to dignify her with any kind of picks Owens, she responded, She said, Avis, this is a desperate public relations strategy, and she has doubled down on her claims that that Brigitte is a man. The complaint filed UH is a two hundred and nineteen pages of allegations and evidence asserting that Brigitte mat Crone was in fact born a woman. She's always been a woman. So I would say it's something that is proved. You could, if you can prove its false, come in and prove it's false. You know, maybe a DNA test. I'm not I'm not a licensed to practice medicine in California, but I would assume a DNA test would would would? I mean, I'm sure there's other tests, but like a chromosome test, I don't know. You can prove that she was a man? Yeah, I mean that she was a woman and she always been a woman. So now we got that one taken care of. If and then is it something makes me people spit on the ground. Well, you could argue either way, like, well there's no harm in being a trans woman.
Speaker 3: It depends on who you're asking, right.
Speaker 2: And it depends on the jury. But I would say, if you're masquerading as a woman and you're really a man and you don't tell people that it makes people spit on the ground, you're committing a lie. To the French people, Okay, you're like Marie Antoinette or something. So they've got the elements. Now what about the malice? What do you think, Sam, she's a public figure people, do people really believe her? When she says this is that she's a man, you know? Or is it like, okay, this is a right wing podcaster railing against a liberal European leader.
Speaker 3: It's hard to say because it is it really actually malicious? Where's the what's the malicious intent of it? And are they trying to just poke fun or are they actually trying to create some kind of a measurable stir because of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's a good analysis. The people know that she's trying to get clicks, she's trying to get views, likes, all that kind of stuff. So I think people would say, you know what, that's just an American podcaster saying that's, you know, like they said about Michelle Obama. That's a lot of people say, I've never seen Michelle Obama sue anyone over it. But this woman is a bit relentless. So I don't think it's a winner. But what does it do? It chills her speech and she might get a little she might drop it because she has a two hundred and nineteen or whatever it is page document that when you tell your lawyers you're defending a defamation case with the two hundred nineteen pages in it, they're gonna say, well, you got to give me two hundred nineteen thousand dollars to handle this. However, there is a way for Candae to get out of this and might maybe make some money. And I will tell you what that is after we break for traffic Joe'scalante Live from Hollywood.
Speaker 3: Before we go, I actually now have our defamation theme song. Oh you do, let's hear Yeah, that's about five seconds long. Defamation time.
Speaker 4: Come on that?
Speaker 2: Pretty good? Pretty good? I like it all?
Speaker 3: Right, Off to break land.
Speaker 5: Okay, Hey, Joe'scalante Life from Hollywood every Sunday right here on a M eleven fifty k eib okay, one way.
Speaker 2: We're talking before the traffic and all that stuff. Those really cool commercials. You know, how's the worst commercials? I'll tell you who tune in radio?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's they're they're they're horrific, They're terribly made. They're an abortion yeah. Oh, and they make you listen to them. They don't have enough inventory, so you have to hear them over and over and over again. You guys are driving around in your tesla's well, actually nobody has an AM radio on your tesla. But if you're listening on iHeart on the on the app, which you could be while you're driving around in.
Speaker 3: Your car, which you should be doing while you're driving in your car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you people, Well, then you don't know either. I'm the only one that knows because I'm well, I listened to tune in radio and I can hear my own show on tune in radio. Okay, because iHeart Radio doesn't come in with the Tesla. It's tune in. Yeah, I wish it was iHeart hard.
Speaker 3: That's why we need AM radios in cars.
Speaker 2: Every car, oh, every car, every man, woman and child needs an AM radio.
Speaker 3: US hipsters need our outlet.
Speaker 2: All right. The the the story we're talking about is Candice Owen's getting sued by the King and Queen of France or whatever they're called all over there, Emmanuel Macral and Brigitte Macrawl. And she says, there is no doubt this woman, the first Lady of France, is in fact a man born a man. And not only is a woman, deny it, she's suing for defamation. So we established that she had a that they don't have a good case against Candice owns, but they are going to drive her nuts. And make her pay a team of lawyers to sift through this two hundred nineteen one thousand dollars I mean two hundred nine now probably two hundred nineteen page a complaint. Now there's something you can do if someone sues you for defamation and you're just like a podcaster. You have a free speech right. We have First Amendment, So there is something that protects people, and I assume it applies in this case. Sometimes there's like an exception here and there, but I don't think I see one in this particular case. The anti slap motion that she can file. So this is what you do when someone's suing you and has a lot of money and they think they can ruin you by filing a nuisance lawsuit, which this I think is kind of a nuisance lawsuit because they just don't really have any chance of prevailing unless they went forum shopping and found, like you know, maybe when of those Washington DC courts that hates conservatives. It's possible, but I think maybe that's what they're banking on. But she is going to file an anti slap motion, which means, hey, I have a First Amendment right to do this. You have to prove and that shifts the burden on them on the people suing you. Okay, you prove that you're likely to win, and if you can show that to the judge that you're likely to win, then the judgeill say, okay, this is a pretty good case here. We got to go forward because people need to be able to use the courts for their defamation, be protective against defamation. But if the judge looks at it and goes, this is silly, You're not going to win. You lose the anti slap motion. Then you have to pay. Candice owns legal fees, so it's very risky and a risky and her legal fees are going to be quite high because this they've they've really piled on her with a two hundred plus plage complaint.
Speaker 3: Now where is is she filing the suit? In France or out here?
Speaker 2: I think it's Outer France.
Speaker 3: The outer France, not as opposed to Inner Mongolia.
Speaker 2: Now outer France where the where the coneheads are from? Oh yes, yeah, yeah, this was filed in the Delaware court. Okay, Now these are lefties up there, probably, but I mean they're Americans. They probably don't like to see people railroaded by a foreign power, or the at least give her a shot at filing this the anti slap suit and getting her legal fees paid. So before it would be like if everybody with all the money would control the courts and make sure that you can't you're just gonna be sorry you ever mess with the big entity, that's gonna you know, wipe the floor of the courtroom with your face and stuff like that. But now that with the anti slap motions available in most cases, you can you can fight back. So the little the little guy is a really good law because the little guy has been.
Speaker 3: Are there anti slap laws in Delaware?
Speaker 2: Well, that is a good question. They might. They might have. They might have filed it there because they don't have them. But in a normal situation that our listeners might be in, remember the anti slap lawsuit. Now, what else is there going on in the defamation world. We have another defamation case.
Speaker 3: It does have an anti slap law.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so she's she's gonna be fine. Yeah. President Trump also has a deformation case against a Wall Street journal. He filed a ten billion dollar suit against the newspaper and its owner, Rupert Murdoch. And I thought they used to be friends. It comes after the Wall Street Journal published an article on July seventeenth that Trump sent a sexually suggestive letter and a drawing for Epstein's fiftieth birthday in two thousand and three. Of course that Jeffrey Epstein is the pedo file that everybody is just wishing would go away. And everybody thinks that they can get all the files released, that it's going to hurt their political enemies, but no one really knows, but it is. It is weird that, like, did Donald Trump campaigned on campaign on, you know, getting to the bottom of this, and then all a sudden said, what are you talk about? Why are you guys talking about this. Let's move on. We got other things to do. You're still talking about that. That strategy didn't work?
Speaker 3: What phony dog poop?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that strategy didn't work. So so people are still you know, all over it. And so he's filing this against the Wall Street Journal. I now, Wall Street Journal, let's go see if they have the Let's first let's see what's on the I know we're gonna hit but okay, this is what's in the letter. Okay, I haven't seen the letter I don't even know if they published it, but I got a description of a letter from one of my sources. Type. Okay, it's a typewritten text framed by the outline of a naked woman. So we got an outline of a naked woman. It's like hand drawn with a black marker. So you got to picture whether you believe Donald Trump did this. The drawing reportedly features a pair of small arcs denoting a woman's breasts, a squiggly Donald signature allegedly placed below the woman's waist, mimicking public hare.
Speaker 3: Out in the public too. Yeah, I didn't know we could do that.
Speaker 2: Pubicare really what it is?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: The letter was reportedly styled as an imaginary third person conversation between Trump and Epstein. It concludes with the line happy birthday and may every day be another wonderful secret. President Trump is vehemently denied writing the letter or drawing the picture, calling it fake and stating these are not my words, not the way I talk. Also, I don't draw pictures, So.
Speaker 3: That was the one that was the most easily even readily debunked, because he's drawn pictures before for charities.
Speaker 2: He draws pictures Okay, Yeah, but that's not what they have to prove is wrong. They have to prove that he wrote it. Yeah. And if people say I don't draw pictures, that's not evidence of any kind.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I was a traffic judge, everyone came in, it's the same thing. I never speed there. I always stop at that stop sign, and I go, that's not evidence, So not evidence. So it it is. Now they're gonna go, h they maybe they have an anti slap suit that they can go against him, and they'll have to prove or establish that that that it's what they're saying about him is false, that they put a false report out there. So someone's gonna have to prove that this thing was written by him, and that will be the crux of the case. But do they have Is there any actual malice? I think there is. I think there is a malice to destroy him, like everybody else wants to destroy him. So I believe you've got actual malice. We'll see if it's It makes people spit on the ground, and we'll see if it's true or not, so that one might go forward. And now we will go forward with another break and come back with more Joe'scalante Live from Hollywood. Joe'scalante Live from Hollywood. If by Hollywood you mean burd Bank, two hours of the business, end of show business, and I think we're done with defamation for the day. Said, maybe a little bit dry to me. It's I like it because people are always thinking about, like I'm gonna sue this guy for saying this, and I think it's it's good to pound into people's heads how hard it actually is, so that you won't clog up the courts with frivolous lawsuits. But right now the courts are so clogged because this is it. You're living in different times because people are now, well, I don't like what the president's doing, I'm going to file a lawsuit. Okay, Well the president doesn't like what the newspaper's doing. He's going to file a lawsuit, and everyone should just knock it off.
Speaker 3: It would be nice if we weren't so litigious. I agree.
Speaker 2: It's just like just like knock it off. Like the guy does this thing, and then you vote to vote him out if you don't like his thing, you know, and you start going to judges and then pretty soon everyone's going to well this this. Uh, we're going to go to a New York jury where we can get hit them to do what we want. What kind of justice is that if you're like, if we're shopping around your form shopping like that, it's wrong. And if everybody, if the president sues everybody that says an things. Now he's talking about suing. I mean, I'm singing that's wrong too, to sue everybody that all your enemies. He Now, he says, Kamala Harris paid Beyonce and paid Oprah Winfrey, and that is a violation of election laws. You know what you want, just just drop it, you know. But he's also a troll. He's the troll in chief, so he's trolling these people. And his trolling has has served him well because now he's wildly popular among his base and his enemies are, you know, not doing great. So it's not my style. But that's why I don't have the stomach for this. I just don't. I have a lot of lawyers in the in the entertainment industry that do a lot of great things, and they're all famous, and I don't, Well, they're not my friends. I don't have friends like that. But you know, they're all in the papers. You see these famous entertainment lawyers. They're just really filing these big cases and repers, sending these powerful people.
Speaker 3: You know who's not afraid you can't do it? Yeah, you know, who's not afraid to jump into the line of fire like that south Park.
Speaker 2: Now, let's talk about that. That was south Park, that was entertaining before we Okay, before we do the box office, let's talk about south Park. The well, actually, we're going to talk about that when we talk about Cole Bear. Yeah, let's yeah, that's wrapped up in co Bear in Paramount. We're going to do the whole Paramount thing because that's news. That's news right now, breaking news about Paramount and the deal getting improved. Let's start with the box office for a little bit. We got two hours, Yeah, we got time number one in the box office, Fantastic four First Steps. I haven't seen it, but it did one hundred and eighteen million at the box office and number one.
Speaker 3: It's not bad. From what I'm hearing from all the nerds, it's really good.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, Yeah, I haven't seen it.
Speaker 3: Same with Superman.
Speaker 2: Superman I have seen it's really good and the nerds like it. Yeah, but Superman has only done in three weeks. It has done two hundred and eighty nine million, and Fantastic Four did one hundred and eighteen in its first week, so it has a chance to cat I don't think it's going to catch up, though. Jurassic World still Birth, Oh no, says Rebirth.
Speaker 3: I saw that one.
Speaker 2: I thought it was good, but I mean, you know, I haven't watched one since the since the first one. Yeah, and I liked Scarlett Johansson. But you're you're less than enthusiastic about it.
Speaker 3: It was fine, fine, it was It was good. It's a good movie to see in the theater, but it's not necessarily a good.
Speaker 2: Movie, thank you very much. I agree. Formula one the movie. Still haven't seen it now that it's out of the big D box movies or whatever theaters, IMAX's and x X cinemas, I don't want to watch it on my phone.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 2: The Smurfs, that's number five. Do you know? Do you know that the Mexicans and maybe even all Latino Americans, I'm not sure. I think they do. The Spanish speaking world has a done other word for smurf? Really yes, Because I guess maybe s MURFH is not smurfhs. No, it's you would never guess what it's called. P tufos.
Speaker 3: What are pos?
Speaker 2: They're smurfs told, yeah, smarts a padufo. Okay, p tuoful. So that's just like you know, heyky, passa p tufos. If you ever see a couple of couple guys hanging around in the corner, you know that's a good one. Number six I know what you did last summer. My wife saw it and said, meh, you know it's okay. Uh, it's done twenty three million for a horror movie that doesn't seem very good.
Speaker 3: No, no, I don't think anybody cares what they did last time.
Speaker 2: How to drain your tame your drag, tame your dragon, train your dragon.
Speaker 3: Drain your dragon.
Speaker 2: It would be a little weird, how to drain your dragon. I just did that during the break. Actually that's a huge success and people say it's just amazing. Number eight is a film called Eddington that I saw and we'll talk about just a bit. And number nine is a Bollywood movie Say and OHI from Sony Pictures rounds up at number ten Eddington, Are you familiar with this film.
Speaker 3: No, I've one of my friends went to see it and I had no idea what he was talking about. I had not gotten any information on it.
Speaker 2: Got to get on. You gotta get into this movie. So the latest from director Ari Astor, known for his unique and often unsettling horror films like Hereditary. Okay, Yeah, Midsommer starring Florence Pugh, Yes, everybody's favorite. Yes, this movie star studied cast, Sam You're gonna love it, Joaquin Phoenix, Pedro Pascal who's in every movie, Emma Stone, Austin Butler okay, and a cast of thousands. Okay. It's set in twenty twenty. The COVID nineteen pandemic is in full force in a fictional New Mexico town. You like it so far?
Speaker 3: So far, it's a fictional story.
Speaker 2: They call it a neo Western black comedy. Ooh, it doves.
Speaker 3: In the darkest of comedies. Yes.
Speaker 2: It delves into the political and social turmoil of time, revolving around a bitter rivalry between a small town sheriff played by Walking Phoenix. Masterful performance from Walking and the incumbent mayor, Pedro Pascal. Pretty good performance so far.
Speaker 3: This is the plot to Blazing Saddles, but go on a little bit over issues like mask mandates and a proposed data center they're going to put, you know, in this po dunk town and you know, either help everybody or ruin it.
Speaker 2: The plot escalates into profound and disturbing turns, exploring themes of contemporary American society, conspiracy theories, and violence. So yeah, it just came out on July eighteenth, and you know, they it's like a blend of political drama, action, social commentary, satire, showcasing Astor's distinctive style in a new context because his I mean, midsommar and hereditary and nothing like this.
Speaker 3: I'm intrigued. Now, Yeah, you sold it very well.
Speaker 2: Thank you. It's just it's just like like if you're sick of superhero movies and horror movies, this is a great movie about a small town. Like one guy's running for mayor and then the sheriff's decides, So I think I'm gonna run for mayor, which is the plot of Burt Reynolds's White Lightning, where he plays the character Gator McCluskey good And I think he's he's gonna run for mayor or shaff for something anyways, And so that's a movie where like he wins and then he looks in the law books and finds out he can take the old share, and well he can take the mayor. I think he becomes the mayor, and then he takes the sheriff and moves his office into the men's room because it says he can put the guy's office anywhere he wants.
Speaker 3: That's funny.
Speaker 2: So all right, there you have your recommendation, Eddington. I also saw another movie not as good. I didn't think maybe did you ever see the movie Sinners?
Speaker 3: No, not yet. I've been meaning to see it. I've heard, I've heard good things.
Speaker 2: A successful movie, wildly successful, Southern Gothic. They're calling it Sam nineteen thirties Mississippi. It's two brothers. They go back to their small town and open up a juke joint, only to encounter that the vampires are I've taken over the town.
Speaker 3: That sounds like the plot to From Dusk Till Dawn.
Speaker 2: This is from Dusk Till Dawn, but in nineteen thirty two, without Goddess selma Oh. One of the reviews on letterbox said, too long crappy idea, expensive execution, very good execution, like beautiful special effects. And then this is I'm reading from a review. Y'all call this original because your fancy asses didn't watch from Dusk till Dawn because it was a fun because it's a fun B movie.
Speaker 3: See what I'm saying is that you like going to the letterbox reviews that are the one star reviews.
Speaker 2: I started at the half stars. I never get to the one stars. They're so good. Here's another one, extremely overhyped, insultingly bad Disney Channel esque slot for people who say they like rap and only listen to Kendrick Mustard. Ass movie. I don't know there's another one. Storyline was rubbish scene where Rick James just turns up out of nowhere is effing cringe. The film is general in general, was all over the place. Wasn't really sure what message it was trying to portray. Was it about racist clan members or is it about we're dancing vampires? Bag of poop? And then it doesn't end.
Speaker 3: James coming out of nowhere sounds amazing.
Speaker 2: And not to that guy. They sold it not to that guy. So the director is Ryan Coogler. He did Black Panther and Creed Michael B. Jordan's stars. Great directing, great acting, a great special effects, but what a stupid movie. Because number one is Dustill Dawn or a thousand vampires And when vampires come to your town, what happens? You have to kill him and then if they bite you, then you're one of them. I get it. Oh my gosh, I can't kill this person. It used to be my friend. Oh, but I have to because if I don't, this person will kill me and everyone in the town. And it's like, wow, I've seen that before.
Speaker 3: And every vampire movie out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm not interested. I'm not invested. And then it never ended, had like an extra half hour at the end, like a like a bad Harry Potter movie. Stamp. Anyway, I thought it would be overhyped, and then when I saw it, it was over hyped. So I can't recommend Sinners. I can recommend Eddington. And let's take a break, check the traffic, and come back with more. Joe Scalante Live from Hollywood. Joe's Galante Live from Hollywood. My Hollywood, You mean bar Bank? Hey, So yeah, we talked about Eddington. Recommended it Sinners. The as far as television goes, Sam, I've been watching a show called The hunter Wives on Netflix, Okay, and it's about it's a little bit silly. You know. It's funny when you see a TV show and you know how it got made because someone walked into a Hollywood Guys executive office and says, okay, picture this. Britney Snow. She's a charming former pr person for Democratic candidates in the big city, but now her husband took a job in Texas. She shout fish out of water, trying to uh navigate her way through the social scene of big money Texas people. And she's and all the Texas people are Are they fine Americans? Patriots? Sam?
Speaker 3: They are Texans, you know, in this in this thing, they are hypocrites. They are big, big hat, big bult, big hair, big belt buckle wearing Texans.
Speaker 2: In this thing, they're all hypocrites, and they're perverts, and they're crup they're crooked. So then in Hollywood, when you hear this pitch, do you go, oh, yeah, I love this. I'm putting it right on the air. So however, as you know, cartoonish as that is, and stereo typing Texans is I guess allowed uh and make in a negative way. They're all stereotyped as negative. Ah. And the the Britney Snow character, she has weaknesses too. It's not like she's an angel and there are devils. But you know it's everybody's it's it's everybody's got a secret in this town. Okay, I can't stop watching it.
Speaker 3: Is this your new guilty pleasure?
Speaker 2: That's a very guilty pleasure. But people are mad about this. This is the way Hollywood, you know, treats Americans. What's the name of the show again, The Hunter Wise starring Britney Snow. Okay, I mean people, you know, if if you're a Texan and you turn this on to you go, oh this is how we are, you know, you'd be offended. Nothing really offends me, so you know, I'm watching it. But there is a new movement in Hollywood Sam to combat this and that Hollywood has an evolving landscape, and we're gonna be talking about that for the next several segments because it's affecting the business end of Hollywood as well. Conservative figures, Okay, conservatives aiming to dramatically shift the entertainment industry's traditionally liberal leanings have got a new production company together called Founders Films. Now, this happens all the time. People go, hey, I got a rich guy start a production company. He's conservative, aren't There are more positive messages out there, you know, it's happened before. But this one is sponsored or some of the investors are. Well, if it's Founders, I'm going to say it's Peter tel because Peter Teel has a company called the Founder's Fund. I think I think that's what his fund is. And he's a conservative and he's okay, you know, so he's like, you know, it's not maybe he's he's uber socially liberal.
Speaker 3: Uber billionaire. Yeah, I think that overrides everything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's as they say, gay from space.
Speaker 3: Satellite satellite.
Speaker 2: So the Founders Films also linked to the Scilla Con Valley data giant Pallinteer. Are you familiar with them?
Speaker 3: Very familiar?
Speaker 2: People are afraid of them, Like that's if there was a movie about that. What could happen about with A and I? If AI with AI? If it went wrong, Pallentteer would be the death the death Star, right, yep? Okay, people, So they're launching, they're they're putting money into this, and they have a lot of money and they are seeking other investors for projects. The champion American exceptionalism and name American enemies. I like that part. Why can't we name our enemies and films? And why can't we?
Speaker 3: That's a wonderful question. Why haven't we?
Speaker 2: Why they all just nebulous Eastern European cabal. That's that's committing all the crimes.
Speaker 3: I mean, if it's a historical you know, like a film that has a history has it, you know, like a time's If it's a time piece, it would be something like you know like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Then you have a stated enemy.
Speaker 2: Then not but that movie. Yeah, but any movie where the Nazis of the enemy is one thing. But what if the enemy is.
Speaker 3: Let's say Texans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, if they're I mean, you know, they keep going back to the Nazis, And a lot of it is because their uniforms were so badass, and so you know, you take the evil uh persona and the badass uniform and you got that's show business right there. That's how you make That's how you put butts in the seats. So naming American enemies. America's enemies, I guess right now would be China, Like, let's make a movie about how evil China is.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Normally hollywoods like to do that because they want their movie distributed in China. But these people are gonna name their enemies, okay, so they want more patriotic narratives. Some proposed films is in a new adaptation of Ain Rand's Atlast Shrugged. Have you read that book, Sam, Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I can't imagine a more boring film to make.
Speaker 2: It's hard because the book is so long to make a good one. There was one made. I worked on one that didn't get made with already had the rights to that. He got it right from ain Rand. He dazzled her and he got the rights, and then he died a couple of years ago. So now it's floating around and so I guess these guys are going to get it, and then they want to add and ain Rand is Attlas Shrugged is about like, you know, big giant business people saying what's wrong with being big giant business people? And the government and the regulations are the enemy. So that sounds like a conservative movie that I mean and it doesn't have to be one movie, could be part two, two part movie, or a six part series or a twelve part series. And then they want to make one about the nine to eleven World Trade Center evacuation. They want to make a spy series about China's global power plans. Now I saw your eyes roll just now, Sam.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not so much eye rolling. I'm trying to see like you're visualizing. Yeah, I'm trying to picture that. I think that. I mean, there's always a movie out there that set you know, like if you need to have an international spy film, there's always going to be some kind of like middle of the road kind of looking character that you can say this person is now like he's taken over his own island.
Speaker 2: And Eastern Eastern Europeans yea favorites.
Speaker 3: You usually Eastern Europeans or Latin Americans or Middle Easterners or whatever. And now it's like, okay, well let's actually call out countries. And it just accelerates a lot of notionalism that either way in film, it's like okay, if we're going to go hard left or hard right, either way, we're going to be alienating a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I don't know if you know about how the movies used to be in this in this country, Sam, They were very patriotic.
Speaker 3: Long time ago.
Speaker 2: And this push is seen by some as a punch in the face for woke Hollywood. It builds on growing conservative criticism that studios have become too politically progressive, impacting box office performance. For example, the mockumentary I Am Racist. Do you remember this one?
Speaker 3: I don't remember that one costs.
Speaker 2: Three million to make in it made twelve million at the box office, and it was about a guy just It was a documentary walking around exploring racism from a conservative point of view. And I remember that made a lot of money. But to me, I didn't go see it because it seemed like a homework or something like that. The biopic Reagan did thirty million. I saw that. One's Christian cinema. We all know that's doing well. They make a lot of money on those. Donald Trump has sent Melt Gibson and Sylvester Stallone and John Voight to be ambassadors of the government. So this is a new direction for Hollywood. And then when we come back, we're going to talk about how this might be impacting the Paramount Sky Dance merger, and it might be connected to the Stephen Colbert firing. Joe Scalante Live from Hollywood, Joe Escalante Live from Hollywood. If by Hollywood you mean Burbank. This is two hours of the business end of show business. We're an hour number two now, and we were talking in the last hour about the movement in Hollywood that is going to try to make conservative content. And these are people that are just sick of it. They're sick of it. Want to see any more woke culture in their movies, and they want to know what happened to a day when you know, movies were had it seemed like they all had a patriotic message and there was some good old fashioned censorship afoot. But people know, I think people know that you can't make a movie that is, you know, too patriotic or jingoistic or nationalistic because the Hollywood executives don't like it. So and that's where the money is.
Speaker 3: Well, and well that's where the money in the United States might be. But they're looking possibly at the foreign numbers also.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if you're but that's what they're all. They're looking at the foreign numbers right now. The guy, the people that control Hollywood, they're looking at it. So someone's coming in now and according to this new trend that is being reported on. They're like, well, why do we have to do that, because when you have to make a movie for China, you have to jump through these hoops. And why can't we make a movie that China hates? Why can't we make a movie that China bands.
Speaker 3: We've done that.
Speaker 2: It's a good old fashioned but we've done that. Okay, Well I'm not here. I mean, this is just this is a This is a movement. Sam. If you if you want to rail against the movement, you can get on your Twitter account and tell these people that we've already done it and to just you know, go back where they came from and not try to do this. You probably save them a lot of money because movies are very expensive and most people lose money when they're making them. So anyway, this is what. This is a movement. And then people are emboldened now because of a few things that are going on. But let's kind of go.
Speaker 3: To the Maverick was banned in China unofficially because of Maverick wearing having a Taiwanese flag on him.
Speaker 2: What's the old TV the Top Gun movie? Oh, the Top Gun movie that was very successful one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a very good movie. There's a bunch of movies that we produce, movies that are pretty often banned by China for one reason or another. Yeah, I mean it's okay if we do that. Now, if that's what their goal is is to to call out enemies and do more patriotic stuff, then that's there's movies for people who are into those kind of movies.
Speaker 2: Yes, but they they're going to make those. Yeah, so they will. You know, it's just a movement. It happens, and I think there right now. It happens all the time. I mean there's always this movement like we got to make more family friendly movies. Okay, But right now they're emboldened because a lot of people see that, well that you see the ratings of conservative projects News or whatever versus the establishment the lefty networks, and people are in bolded. They say, well, Fox is making a ton of money, CBS is losing their ass. Maybe now is the time, maybe we can convince people to put their money into this project. Ours. I think about Fox News, though they get affiliate fees from all their cable that that CBS doesn't get. But CBS is is a problem. I mean they do have a problem because of this the nature of the business that they're in. They have got a bunch of cable channels and they have CBS, which we now know that they were spent. They were losing forty million a year on the Colbert Show, and they don't want to do it anymore. A new guy is come to town, David Ellison, and he's buying CBS, and right after the he fires Cole Well he doesn't own it yet but now he does. But before you, before he owned it, Colbert was fired, so people think, like, did he was he trying to get rid of it? Did he say you got to fire that guy. I don't want to lose forty million dollars on a talk show. I don't care what he's saying, what kind of political stuff he's saying. There's a lot of people that believe if Colbert, I'm not really one of them, if Colbert was middle of the road that the show would be profitable. I would say, you would lose some people and you would gain some people. Ah, but there but there's no reason to lose money on a guy that is railing against half the country all night. I mean you you, there's no reason to lose money if he makes money, So yeah, let him do it. If he loses money, you got to yank.
Speaker 3: Him now across the board on all of the late night formats. How who is anybody making money?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Is a gutfill well that I don't view that as late night format. That's the cable news network that has the already established highest rated like viewers of all of the cable news networks and everything like that. His established, His base was already established with or without him. It's it's are there any profitable like normal what we would call consider traditional non cable news networks that have a late night format that are profitable. Probably not, because that's the thing is that cable is gonna be way different of a thing because you can say more, do more, get away with a little bit more. But also it's when you already have the highest rated channel in the game, you're gonna have that already like there, and what a.
Speaker 2: Lot of that? Why isn't CBS the highest rated channel. It's free in every it's free in every home in America.
Speaker 3: It's because content wise, they're not putting out the hits that the audience wants to hear the same way that say Fox News does with their audience. They say the things that the audience wants to hear, and people are going to tune in to have their biases confirmed. That's how every like. That's what you think.
Speaker 2: You're missing the point. I think you're missing the point. You're missing the point. The point is that these people on CBS and NBC and ABC are one dimensional. We hate the president and we are lefties. Okay, So why would you let Why would you lose money? Why would you lose money? Why would you lose money with somebody who's sitting there and he's not even addressing the whole country, he's only addressing half the country, and he's losing money, so he's got to go.
Speaker 3: It's just the timing of it all comes off as a bit suspicious.
Speaker 2: It looks like it looks like a bribe. That's it looks like, and they want to investigate it, and they will.
Speaker 3: And we'll see what the outcome of it is. But at the same time, it leads also to the thing that we were alluding to earlier. South Park and their part in all of this because Paramount Plus had a big deal go through with them and they came out with guns blazing against Trump.
Speaker 2: Yes, and they and they will come out guns blazing against both sides. That's what they do. So that's another thing. If that shows lose money, it's a maybe it's a loss leader because it's you've got to have it otherwise your enemies will have it.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: But they're making money. I think they're profitable. Yeah, but I'm saying, you know, it's not. It doesn't matter. If they're losing money, let them. It's a lost leader. And they're not alienating half the country. Sure they're there. So that's an example of how you can criticize the president and how you can even criticize your bosses if you do it well. Colbert didn't do it well and it was too it was it was boring and one dimensional. Uh, when compared to South Park. South Park is just you know, they show you how to do it and this is how it's and the people at CBS can't can't and the networks can't do it. They can't do it at Jimmy Kimmel and they can't do it at Jimmy Fallon. So people think those those companies are next. Uh and if they're losing money, okay, so then you have like this guy is is already they've already paid, Uh, already gone after sixty minutes. Sixty minutes had to pay because they were biased and the Colbert had to go. This new guy, David Ellison is hiring a conservatives to run the news division or middle of the road centrist people. So people are in Bold and they say, well, maybe it's going to change, and some people say that David Ellison will. What he's doing, really he's buying. He owns this company called sky Dance and they make like James Bond or Mission Impossible at one of those things. What's a big famous thing they make?
Speaker 3: They make movies British company.
Speaker 2: No, no, no. David Ellison is the guy whose dad owns Oracle.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, gotcha.
Speaker 2: So his dad gave him some money and he did really well with it and he made hit movies and now he has enough money to buy CBS and Paramount. All he wants is a studio, Paramount the studio. Now he's going to be Paramount the studio, the studio of the Godfather and other legendary films. Now he's gonna own that. Now he's happy, but he owns all these other parts that kind of don't make money. So he's going to sell CBS. But to sell CBS, do you want it to be? Hey, this is this cool network for sale that gets sued by Trump for doing questionable electional election interference with Kamala Harrison an interview. And then they have this Colbert thing that loses forty million a year because they hate Donald Trump, And do you want to buy it? Or when you're selling it, would you like to buy this cool network doesn't have Colbert has a slot there that you, the buyer, can do whatever you want with it doesn't Sixty minutes has been spanked and they're not going to do that anymore. And they and you might be able to create another Fox News, but a network Fox News, and that might be Look what Fox News rakes in every year. Look at the billions you could have this.
Speaker 3: It's not so instead of just going middle of the road, go hard right.
Speaker 2: I think people are too afraid to go hard right. But they're gonna go but they're at least gonna shake shake off the the twenty four a day railing against twenty five ers, a day of railing against Donald Trump. Just forget about Donald Trump. Make content. Have a comedian that comes up like Johnny Carson used to and tell jokes and interview stars, and then you might be able to sell that when and it's a easier sell than the old CBS.
Speaker 3: You're not going to replace Carson. You can't. There's nobody that's come close.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but somebody who wants to own it is gonna try to give it a try and think they can do it. So that's that's what people are saying that that's what this guy's doing. And then he's gonna take the stations and sell them to people who want stations. I think the stations and the network go together. You own all these stations around the country, people like Sinclair or companies that like to buy stations on a bunch station, you're going to sell those off. He's going to sell off the cable channels, the MTV, VH one, country Music Television, all the ones that they own, They're going to sell those off. Time, maybe Discovery, that spin off that owns their cable channels. He's going to sell off all these parts, and then he's just gonna own a paaramount and he's to have a studio and he's gonna be happy he's and it's not gonna be that profitable for him, if at all, But he doesn't need any money because he's David Ellison and he has so many billions. He can never spend it all, but will have his network or his his studio, which he wants. Let's take a break and check the traffic and we'll come back with more of this, you know, genius programming. Joe Escalante Live from Hollywood, the Business end of Hollywood Business, Show Business, every Sunday from five to seven right here on k EIB eleven fifty on your AM dial. We're talking about David Ellison buying Paramount Skydance buying Paramount and kind of taking it apart and selling it, which is what people think he's going to do, and he's and when he sells all that stuff, it still won't be You're not gonna get his money back for a long time. People usually don't get money back on projects like this until they sell him again. Once he consolidates everything and has this Paramount thing, it comes up with a couple hits. Then you got something you got to going concern. He's going to expand the CBS Paramount Studios. Right now, Paramount has that big lot on Melrose and he wants that and he believes that's a business. And then he's going to expand the CBS lot, the CBS lot on Radford and Ventura out in the valley. That's a piece of history too. I mean you go down there, there's like Twilight Zone stuff still there and leave it to beaver House. And this is what he wants. Yeah, and he wants it, he shall take it.
Speaker 3: So he basically wants to take over Paramount entirely, and the rest of the parts that he got in the deal he gets to disassemble and sell for whatever scrap that he feels like he can get.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, and he makes you know, sky Dunce they make, they make TV shows, they make big budget movies. Yeah, this guy's this guy's made a ton of money.
Speaker 3: You want to know something I found out a very mission impossible Yeah, no, I found out a very interesting top Gun. I see, that's the thing that I'm talking about. Top Gun three D banned in China. All the all of those movies here's a fun fact. Every Brad Pitt movie is banned in China, every single one of them, because because he did the movie seven years in Tibet.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, he's banned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't want him there. He's from Entry, and none of his movies are coming here.
Speaker 2: Very few movies get approved over there in China anymore. But yeah, so this is what the guy's gonna do. But also he looks like a guy who doesn't have a lefty agenda because mission impossible. You know, that's pure action. Top gun is patriotism. So and he's made so much money on that top gun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that brings us to the Colbet firing. Got a little bit more to say on the Colbert firing. The Colbear firing. Okay, he loses forty million years, so okay, he's got to go. Is it a bribe? I mean it's like, did did Donald Trump say get rid of this guy and I will approve this merger? Or did David Ellison say get rid of this guy? Because I'm not going to have him losing money in my uh my studio. I'm I'm not.
Speaker 3: Gonna do a little look a little of column A and a little columnbe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, David, I mean, Donald Trump is just like going He's he's out for revenge right now, Oh, he seems to be. He's like, I'm going to punish everybody who tried to put me in jail. And let's be honest, they tried to put him in jail. They indicted a president. Never happened before, and so he's mad. And they went through his wife's underwear drawer. So if someone goes through my wife's underwear drawer, I'm gonna get mad and I'm coming after him. But is it so? Is it politically motivated? It might be, but you know, everybody's attacking everybody, and everybody's suing everybody, So what are you gonna do? So I think we're done with Colbert, just like he's gone and there's people marching around going save Colbert and all that stuff. He'll land somewhere and this is the kind of thing that happened usually happen to these people. I think he makes fifteen million a year. He could get on a podcast deal and make forty million year. He could just can compete with Rogan, compete with Rogan and make a hundred million a year. Yeah, so, you know, good for him. He doesn't care.
Speaker 3: Literally, the same thing happened to Tucker Carlson after.
Speaker 2: The whole debacle was fired.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they let him go.
Speaker 2: Now he owns his own empire.
Speaker 3: And everybody was saying it was in the name of the lawsuit that was carried out back then though, with a seven hundred million dollar laws suit with the voting booth people. That's the thing is that this is the kind of stuff that tends to happen. Whenever you see business deals trying to go through or big money being lost or moved around. A lot of times the people who are on board, you're the people in charge, are going to be saying, for this deal to go through, this is the thing that needs to happen. We don't like that person or that person. That show might be burning forty million dollars and it's not getting anything in return. And Colbert quite frankly, could do better in a different in a different format.
Speaker 2: He goes into niche programming and that's that's he'll make money, but he'll be trapped. He'll be trying.
Speaker 3: I'm not worried about the money. He's gonna make it. Whatever money he makes he's gonna be fine. It's the audience and the impact. I think he's he could have a bigger audience impact doing his own show on on a YouTube ish format or whatever anything like that. That's it's just hard.
Speaker 2: He could end up on serious like Howard Stern and no one would ever talk about him ever again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's the thing. It's you saw how a good model of that is the is what happened with Tucker Carlson because he had the biggest show on the biggest channel and then that that format got pulled and he rebuilt it himself on a completely different format. And he's doing pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he seems to be doing great, and he's he's actually part of the national conversation and he's changing people's views on important political you know, things like whether it's Jeff three Epstein or Israel versus the Palestinians. He's really I've noticed. I'm like, why, oh, guy's blowing my mind here. I never thought of this, you know, like, uh, blowing my mind. Yeah. So, and he's selling prep food, Prepper food make a lot of money selling prepper food and gun saves.
Speaker 3: It's either like gun saves, prepper food, vitamins whatever.
Speaker 2: Man, if people are gonna get their own smokeless tobacco, so chewing tobacco. Yeah, like pouches like the Zen. He's got one that's like compete, competing with the Zen pouch.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I don't do that either. So I don't have any vices. I only have one vice. It's I am just too good at radio. So uh, I tend to you know, it just blows my head kai sky high.
Speaker 3: That's about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got a couple of stories. We're not gonna get to him just yet, but I'm gonna tease him to you right now. Cardi B in a little bit of trouble, and if you go to YouTube and look up Cardi b microphone, you'll see the video that we're going to talk about in the next segment. And Jimmie Lee Curtis is opening up about agism in Hollywood and it's kind of interesting thing to say, interesting things to say because her father was Tony Curtis and her mother was Vivian Lee or some starlet. Okay, let's take a break, come back, Joe's Goolante live from Hollywood, all right, So Jamie Lee Curtis, Yeah, the daughter. I didn't really contemplated this, the daughter of Tony Curtis and Janet Lee. And I said vivianly before, because what do I know? But Janet Lee from Psycho, she's the woman in the shower. Yeah, from Psycho.
Speaker 3: Vivian Lee wasn't gone with the Wind?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Orson Wells's Touch of Evil, which is a great movie. And then Tony.
Speaker 3: Kurr This of course is Tony Curtis.
Speaker 2: Some like it hot and things like that, but she uh agism, this is what it is. One point I try to hammer in this show I've been doing for so many years about Hollywood is that you can have Hollywood dreams. But if you're having Hollywood dreams as like an actor or someone in front of the camera, I just think it's too many of them die alone, not surrounded by their friends, because and your whole life is chasing this beauty. And every time you leave your house, your everybody who sees you says, oh God, looks like crap, and you and and then so you're fighting you're fighting that and mentally I don't think I could I could take it. You know, every time you leave, people see you in the grocery store to go, oh, I saw sam Zia and you should see what he looks like in person. He's just hideous.
Speaker 3: And he's fat, radio faced.
Speaker 2: So you so you get more plastic surgery because you think that you've got to combat that, and you justify and say, well, nobody knows what I go through. I have to go outside and people look at me and they just look at say ooh, look what he looks like. Look what she looks like. So I need to fix my face. And then you ruin your face, and then you you don't have real friends, so you you die alone in some rest home for for Starlits not in every case, but in so Jamie Lee Curtis was talking about agism and she was like, you know, she's going gangbusters right now, but she's she's been prepping to get out and to retire of the industry because she witnessed her parents, Genetly and Tony Curtis, being rejected by the industry as they age. I mean, she described watching their incredible success slowly erode to the point where it was on yeah, which she found very painful. So her goal is to leave the party before she's no longer invited.
Speaker 3: Well, she had a roadmap from her parents, like they handed her roadmap on how to gracefully walk away and not like not watch all of your emotions get shredded as your relevance goes.
Speaker 2: She's gotta, she's gotta, she's got a chance. Okay, now let's go to someone who I probably will not learn any of these lessons is Cardi B. Cardi B is delightful and entertaining, but she's dumb as a bucket of hair. She was on stage and I guess at some point in the show, she's doing this like daytime show at Drey's Beach Club like Las Vegas, and she's singing on stage and people are like, you know, there's no real barricade, really, they're just kind of all around her, and I guess she said, hey, I'm really hot, you know, sprinkle me with water or someone throws some water up here or something. So someone that's the according to the report, somebody like splashed her with water from a cup and it was a really good shot, Like she came right down to the stage and someone just you know, went you just got her with the water right in her face, and she looked at it and like, how dare you and just just tossed, didn't toss just through with intent to injure her microphone at the person.
Speaker 3: She intended to injure her microphone or the person the person Okay, yes, you need to make that clear.
Speaker 2: Yes, she threw the microphone right at the person who is named Jane Doe. In the civil suit, she says she was intentionally struck during the performance. And this is July of twenty twenty three, so I guess it took some time to think about what to do and find the right lawyer. And it was sudden and forceful. The microphone directly hit her, causing physic physical injury, according to the complaint. The lawsuit also claims Cardib's action was excessive and disproportionate to the water being tossed on her, and it caused public humiliation. It went viral. The microphone was later sold sam for ninety nine thousand dollars at an auction by who Auctioneers.
Speaker 3: Was it her that put it up or sale like it had her? Did she pick it up?
Speaker 2: I don't have this info. Okay, So someone might have grabbed it, you know, and not given it back. But the guys that you know, the security were coming out, and I mean usually you can get something like that out of the audience, people say, hey, give me the mic. But someone got ahold of it and sold it one.
Speaker 3: Hundred thousand bucks. Who would want to buy a mic a broken microphone for one hundred thousand box. I mean they got they won't have money to toss around. I know, it's nothing.
Speaker 2: It's it's for someone who has everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess you know.
Speaker 2: So, Uh, what do you think is gonna happen to her?
Speaker 3: It's a good question.
Speaker 2: Uh, that person's going to get a settlement. Yeah, probably won't go to trial because she's gonna get really mad for a long time. And then when then when she finds out what she has to do to go to trial, and then they're gonna depose her and they're gonna ask all these personal questions, what did you have that day? Did you drink that day? Did you you know? Do you ever drink? Do you ever take drugs? Isn't it? And then you know, any trouble that she's had the law in the past is gonna be resurrected, and pretty sure she's gonna go how much is this you know? What want?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, writer a check.
Speaker 2: Just cut it and run, man, and no one's gonna falter for that. But so stupid you just take a microphone and just throw it at someone's face when when you're when there's cameras everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, and Cardi B from her side, she's saying that the lawsuit is a shakedown attempt.
Speaker 2: Of course it is. But how do you Here's how you perform you This is how you avoid shakedown attempts.
Speaker 3: Don't don't Joe Montana microphones at fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'll tell you something about insurance in the in the music world. Is you can buy insurance for things thrown from the stage. Oh and my band has that, really insurance for stuff thrown from the stage. Just things get thrown from the stage. Does that include people, drumsticks, people, anything?
Speaker 3: Oh cool?
Speaker 2: And it happens all the time and people get injured. So you you pay to be protected from that. Smart And speaking of rock and roll, it is interesting, Uh, like a few years ago at Coachella there was like not one guitar when people are saying and now rock and roll is making a comeback.
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 2: A decade after Gene Simmons of Kiss declared rock murdered Murdered. It is becoming the fastest growing genre in the US. The resurgence is fueled by both exciting new artists and the unexpected virility virality of legacy acts on platforms like TikTok leading the charger bands like Sweden's Ghost and Britain's Sleep Token, both of whom topped the Billboard two hundred album chart in May. Sleep Tokens album Even in Arcadia, broke records for most streaming hard rock album in a single week. On the indie side, wet Leg Familiar with What I Think You Would Like. Wet Leg is also making waves with their latest album, Moisturizer, hitting number one in the UK.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, wet Leg, Moisturizer, that's the.
Speaker 2: And what Leg is like a these girls and they're just you know, provocative and uh, you know, kind of hunting melodies and if you see them in the tiny desk.
Speaker 3: Their next album is going to be Hydrader.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's not just new bands either, sam older rock acts are finding a new life. Creed's hits are surprisingly popular on TikTok. The bands like System of Down in Deaf Tones are are very you know, are filling arenas. Now my Chemical Romance is playing tonight or yes tonight last night at Dodger Stadium, my Chemical Romance. Put your wrap your head around that, like warp to her, No thanks, We're headlining Dodger Stadium for two nights.
Speaker 3: That's kind of crazy. Consider it really shows the impact of these newer forms, of these new formats like TikTok. I don't think anybody could predict when TikTok became start to really come into its own, the impact that I would have on the music industry, and not just like new artists putting out music, but also old artists and keeping older songs alive. Yeah. Really, it shows just how quickly evolving show business, media, film, music, all of it is at this point.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then rock music, which people thought was dead, is now like kids are just saying, hey, look at these guitars and bands were like, like, what is a band? I remember like five ten years ago, my friend's kids were like, why what is a band? Why would someone have a band. Why don't you just go on YouTube and be Justin Bieber or make something and something? And then all the music they like is somebody featuring somebody. Yeah, this is this other person featuring this other person. There's no bands, but now the bands are. The bands are back, and there's many guitars at Coachella.
Speaker 3: Now that's a I'm grateful for that.
Speaker 2: You think you think you're grateful.
Speaker 3: I appreciate run, but Sam, I appreciate live music, and I'm glad that it's still you know, filling huge venues and not just like spots like the Baked Potato you know what and which, And I'm not knocking the baked potato. It's an amazing spot and the potatoes are amazing.
Speaker 2: Baked potatoes legendary. Yeah, but you know where people are not going, according to all these stories, Las Vegas.
Speaker 3: I've been seeing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's all there's a campaign. It's like it's in the zeitgeist. Las Vegas is too expensive and they just kind of disrespect the customer and like, you know, thirty twenty three dollars bottles of water at certain hotels.
Speaker 3: I remember when I first turned twenty one, the tables for blackjack, we're ten dollars tables and you can find five dollar tables. Now it's you know, you at the minimum twenty five and you're not going to find anything lower.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the people are people have had enough, which is not great for me because I've got Sublime and Pennywise and the Vandals playing and a Sublime takeover of Las Vegas at the MGM and the t Mobile Arena coming up August fifteenth and sixteenth. This is a notification to you people that we need you to buy tickets and if you want to see me do another tour of the Punk Rock Museum, I'll be doing them on August Saturday, August sixteenth, I will be doing tours at the Punk Rock Museum, where Fat Mic has proclaimed me the best tour guide that the museum has excellent. And then the Vandals will play on Friday night and Sublime will play, Pennywise will play on fifteenth and sixteenth, And it's gotta be fun because you're gonna be You're gonna be in our Sublime bubble and you don't have to be insulted by twenty three dollar bottles of water because we're gonna give away all kinds of fun stuff for free. All right, let's take a break and come back with our final segment on Joe Escalante Live from Hollywood.
Speaker 4: Joe Ascalante, here's my lawyer.
Speaker 2: All right, let's try to get through the multitude of stories I have, Sam, And the little time that we have we got is when we're talking about earlier the how the media is evolving. E News is calling it quits. H E News was something that was on every night at eleven on the E Channel, and and they just like, you know, want nobody wants to watch the news at eleven. People want to just keep checking their phones all day. Yeah, nobody's making an appointment time to watch entertainment news.
Speaker 3: I get the feeling that's what we're slowly going to start seeing with network and TV news just in general, because everybody's getting informed on their phones faster, and the people who rely on traditional news sources, like you know, the networks and Fox News, we're getting old.
Speaker 2: Well. I think that's why Fox News does so well, because there's their audience can't operate these these apps, and they have personalities that people like people like Greg Gutfield, they like Jesse Waters, and they want to see what they have to say, and they have their machines maybe recorded every day or they're right there at the appointed time. Those are different people. They're going to die. I hate to tell you. Hey, I'll tell you a joke. There's a pre preacher and he's at this church and he says, you know, he's giving a like a sermon on mortality. And he says, I hate to break it to you, everybody, but everybody in this parish is gonna die someday. Some guy starts laughing because it's you, sir. I think that's funny. Why do you think that's funny? He goes, I'm not from this parish.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a good one. Damn that was not bad.
Speaker 2: Okay, So uh no more you news.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean I can see shows like that slowly going by the wayside, or you know, finding if if you can't find a way to adjust to the new formats and the new way people consume media, then you're gonna find yourself having to wave goodbye to your format. I mean, we we might be seeing the beginning of a trend with Colbert and the late night format because few and fewer people are going to be turning to live or normal network TV and make appointment viewing the way that they did when you can just have access to it anytime you want on demand on your phone.
Speaker 2: I got another one for you, A recent study by Authoritas Authorities indicates that Google AIS the Google's AI generated search results summaries known as AI overviews. You've seen these way, yes, and you're gonna go, I'm gonna look at a bunch of articles and then all of a sudden they just pop up this magic paragraph. You're like, that's enough, yeah, and you move on. This is causing a significant drop in traffic for news websites. Some sites are seeing nearly an eighty percent decline in audience when their content appears beneath an AI overview. The trend is raising serious concerns with media companies who fear it's an existential threat to their business model, and I would you know, eighty percent is a tough hit to take. Study also highlighted that Google's own YouTube links were more prominently featured than standard search results. Finding included an a legal complaint in the UK.
Speaker 3: So uh yeah, so does that mean since we're you know? Rumor word has it that the president is looking to deregulate AI and what it can possibly do and the reach it could possibly have. What's stopping the big media companies from creating their own AI in order to compete with other AIS.
Speaker 2: There's lots of AIS out there, oh, I.
Speaker 3: Know, and you start to have AI warfare, cyber AI warfare.
Speaker 2: Well, there's one that I saw one that that you know, how when you punch into AI and it's like if you AI, if you were like a racist and said, like, I'm a racist and I want to see how many Cambodians committing crimes in my neighborhood, and then the AI would go, you know, that's not nice. Let's not single out the Cambodise for crimes or whatever. It just wouldn't do it. Yeah, but there is one you can pay, it's a little more expensive and it'll do it. So yeah, there's all kinds of different ones for different things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thing you can have competing AI's program to say different things. And that's why that's where the ultimate downfall of AI, you would think would be. But so many people are so into having their biases confirmed versus learning the actual facts or truth of doing the research to actually learn it that you you would hope that like truth and like all that stuff would bubble up to the surface. But no, no, it's not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: It'll be interesting, Okay, we have any Disney I have some Disneyland news. Is there a Disneyland theme that we might have anywhere around here?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yes, here it is.
Speaker 4: Erasing all Either you can find a Disneyland the Pilot, pun Jump, the Smuggle Countrypan Fight Against the Rise Up Into Can stand for the longest ride that you can find a Disneyland. No, you can make the case that Rise of the Resistance is for attractions and not one.
Speaker 2: But that's with the comments sections for.
Speaker 4: Don't you think buzz like your astro ordered or up coasterb in the dark and finding Nemo underneath the one that leaves the park, Star towards Anatobya, Big Thunders Bailey, goat the Island.
Speaker 2: Rest Columbia and mark Lane verbal Green almost.
Speaker 4: To say it all all right, you'll find a Disneyland Yanna singing bread cruise here to lend a hand.
Speaker 2: All right, that's entertaining. That guy's good, Well, he's good. He's very good. That's a new discovery. I don't know who the guy is, but he's very jolly. Okay, Disneyland read this is the public service announcement.
Speaker 3: This is real.
Speaker 2: This is a good information for our listeners. In Anaheim, Disneyland is rolling out an ultra discounty ticket exclusively for Anaheim residence. Okay, you live in Anaheim. As part of the seventieth anniversary celebration, you can get a one day, one park ticket for seventy dollars. Wow, all you need is an Anaheim address, or just get a fake ID or something, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: You know what, that's not a bad idea. I should go get a fake ID that just says that I'm an Anaheim specifically for that it can be worth it. Well, it would totally be worth it, and still more expensive than Tokyo Japan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Toko Japan was like sixty five dollars sixty eight bucks. Yeah, grabsite. Yeah. I mean, on the on the other hand, go to Japan, to go to Japan? Is the time to go to Japan? Yeah, before it gets before Trump fixes their economy somehow, to go now while they're suffering. So yeah, so you know the seventieth Anniversary, I just went to Disneyland all day long on Thursday. I had a guide and with some friends and had a great time. But I noticed that the seventieth Anniversary, I don't see I didn't see any like magic cleaning up or fixing of things, and it seemed like a shortage of employees, some broken rides, broken piranhas. So it just shows you. I don't think it's a fault of Disney because I believe in their ability to tackle these things. But they don't have enough people. Yeah, they don't have the manpower to do to make it a flawless experience like maybe it once was, or maybe I'm imagining it, but it just seemed like every time I would see something all messed up, I go, whoa seventieth anniversary? But I had a great time. And if you have a gazillion dollars, get yourself a guide and don't wait on any lines, and you will, even as a you know, as an adult jaded person who has a pass, can go anytime they want. I don't go on rides usually, but then on the day that I have this guide, went on everything. Yeah, time, just a great time. Then how to sat on a bench to watch the fireworks with like a private roped off area? Oh nice, It's a magical life that I'm living. Sam.
Speaker 3: You know where my favorite place to watch the fireworks at Disneyland, It's at where they have Star.
Speaker 2: Star Wars' that's now the hot place.
Speaker 3: And I because it's reminiscent of the scene or from a Return of the Jedi at the very end when they're in the e Walk village and they have the fireworks and everything, and I swear on my phone, I put the music from that scene and I crank it up and people you can see nerds crying.
Speaker 2: They start gathering around you. Oh yeah, look at you. You're gonna get late, okay. And the other thing on another amusement park. Note we have not Sperry Farm News. We'll have to get a theme for them later in knots Berry Farm News. At least twenty riders were left dangling sixty feet in the air after a ride malfunctioned at Notts Spurry Farm in Buena Park and on Saturday. Video shared on social media showed the writers stranded in mid air. According to the Notts Bery Farm, the ride was stopped for approximately five minutes and all guests were able to exit safely after the issue was resolved and they reopened after a safety inspection that was a This isn't the first time Soul Spin ride has experienced shoes. In November twenty two guests were stuck on the same ride for several hours before being evacuated. But I just give them a hard time, not spray farmers. Also, an annual pass is like you probably have whatever is in your pocket. It will get you an annual pass. That's it. Now leave you with a taste of the greatest song ever written. Joe Sclante Live from Hollywood until next week.