Speaker 1: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: Lucky?
Speaker 3: In line at the Delhi I guess.
Speaker 1: Ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 4: Yes? You do?
Speaker 1: In the car before my kids pta meeting?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Excuse me?
Speaker 2: What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 3: I never win?
Speaker 4: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 1: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 2: Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 4: Nobrig just necesaryfoid?
Speaker 2: We're gonna be my long eighteen plus terms conditions of pluck seems every details it.
Speaker 1: Is Ryan here and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you at fist pumper, A wooo, a handclapper, a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino at chumbacasino dot com choose some hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 3: No just necessary VOI where everyb I lost e terms conditions eighteen.
Speaker 2: Plus Judy was boring Hello, Then Judy discovered Chumbucasino dot com.
Speaker 4: It's my little escape.
Speaker 2: Now Judy is the life of the party. Oh baby mama is bringing home the bacon. WHOA take it easy, Judy, jump the Chumba life.
Speaker 5: That's for everybody.
Speaker 2: So go to Chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and playing for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices. Jump chumpacasino dot com. Nobridg's necessary, Bly, We're prohibited by eighteen plus turns and conditioned to plice.
Speaker 4: What's every details?
Speaker 1: Hello? It is Ryan and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we? Just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's your brighten your day. Lowe actually a lot so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: Every lost eater thinking if it's eating class.
Speaker 5: You are now listening to True Murder The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author.
Speaker 4: Dan Zufanski, Good Evening.
Speaker 6: The Killing Season is a true crime saga, the story of a double murder that went unsolved for more than thirty five years, and a chilling portrait of a small town up ended by unimaginable violence. In the summer of nineteen seventy five, the valley town of Grand Junction, Colorado, is stunned by the grisly double murder of twenty four year old Linda Benson and her baby daughter Kelly. For Jim Fromm and Doug Rushing, the two young detectives assigned to the case, the investigation is a chance to earn their stripes and prove their metal. At first, from and Rushing page the woman's mercurial husband, a pipefitter who works outside of town, as the primary suspect. But as their case against Steve Benson unravels, the detectives find themselves short on leads and running out of time. With the city on edge and anxious for answers, a notorious serial killer goes on the lamb, and yet another young woman and her children turn up dead. In The Killing Season, Acclaim journalist Alex French traces the story of the Benson murders from the night Linda and Kelly's bodies are found strewn across their second floor apartment to an improbable discovery made more than thirty years later that enabled a new breed of detectives to crack the case and bring closure to those who'd watched justice slip away. Writing in taught atmospheric prose, French has crafted at heart pounding tale of tragedy, resilience, and redemption set against the burning red vistas of the American Southwest. The book that we're featuring this evening is The Killing Season with my special guest, journalist and author Alex French. Welcome to the program and thank you for agreeing this interview. Alex French, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 3: How are you tonight?
Speaker 4: Very good?
Speaker 6: Thank you Alex for joining us tonight. Incredible story and as we alluded to, a notorious serial killer. So people will find this very very fascinating, this book and this story that you have in the Killing Season. Now, just without giving anything away, I know that's my biggest cliche, but tell us how you came to want to write this book. So tell us how you came to write the Killing Season.
Speaker 3: So, you know, just about every day I kind of cruised through the you know, through the headlines on the ap wire, kind of looking for story ideas, and gosh, it was probably the spring of two thousand and nine, two thousand and eight or two thousand and nine, I saw a news item about this story, you know that after thirty five years, interest had finally been made and you know, it wasn't a long story, but it basically mentioned that these two detectives Jim Frahm and Doug Rushing, had worked the case back then and had you know, had never left town, and and you know, for a long time they were sort of known as the guys who weren't solving these murders that they were assigned to solve and and they they had both sort of you know, for years and years never really been able to.
Speaker 4: Get over.
Speaker 3: You know, these crimes and and and sort of you know, in in in nineteen seventy five, they had gosh, twelve homicides or eleven homicides in Grand Junction after not having a single homicide there for more than a decade. And so this community was really just really sort of on a you know, on a razor's edge in terms of, you know, the tension around town. And they were, you know, they were sort of widely viewed as the guys who were letting everybody down, and that was that was hard on them. They were both young, you know, in their early twenties, and I I contacted them immediately and they said, you know, gee, we'd love to tell our story, but you know, we've got to do this whole trial thing, and you know, there are appeals afterwards, and you know it's probably going to be a couple of years before before we can speak to you.
Speaker 4: So I waited.
Speaker 3: I waited six years and followed the story through the trial and then you know sort of you know, just waited and waited, and gosh, two summers ago, some guys from Amazon dot Com approached me about they and said to me, you know, if you could tell any story, what story would you tell? And I just couldn't stop thinking about rushing and from so I contacted them right around the time I contacted them, like I think a week after the perpetrator's final appeal was denied and they were able to speak to me.
Speaker 4: So I went.
Speaker 3: I went there almost immediately and spent gosh two and a half weeks in Grand Junction researching and reporting and knocking on doors and stuff like that.
Speaker 6: Now, before we talk about before we get into this incredible tale, let's talk about a little bit about the Benson family. Linda, Steve Benson, and Kelly take us back the research that you've done and who are these people? Start off with Steve Benson.
Speaker 3: Yes, so you know, there's not a you know, I don't know, you know, Steve wouldn't speak to me. I suppose for good reason. He's been he's been through some horrible things.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: He came from a tough family.
Speaker 4: You know, I.
Speaker 3: You know, uh, he had a brother, Bob, and and not much is known about them. I you know, I think he came from someplace in the Midwest, Indiana or something, and you know, they they they settled around uh, you know, Grand Junction. When he was in his teens, you know, he went to Vietnam sort of a he was sort of a sort of a bit of a hell raiser and you know, had sort of a you know, a bad history with women. Uh you know, big drinker, big partier, and for all sort of intense purposes. It seems as though Linda Benson was sort of this or her name was Linda Ketch him before she took his last name, really settled him down. She was a you know, I sort of spent a lot of time while I was you know, reporting this, trying to sort of get a hold on her personality, and she seems to have been a just a genuinely sweet young lady. I think, you know, she really had maybe the saddest life of anybody that I think I've ever you know, not that I ever met her, but encountered just hearing stories about her. You know, her father died when she was two, He dropped dead in a duck blind. They were from Nebraska. They moved to Colorado with Linda's stepmother, her mother, and I'm sorry her mother and her stepfather, a guy named Tim Right, who was a degenerate alcoholic and abusive to her. When she was sixteen, Lawrence paid, uh, you know, her mother an ultimatum, basically saying, it's either the kids or me, So she kicked the kids out of the house. There was abuse, you know, I mean, she just had her you know, a couple a couple of months before lind did. I her sister died of a you know, sort of a strange drug overdose. And I think she was just a you know, sort of a sweet, sad woman, you know, sort of twenty four year old stay at home mom. But yeah, I think she was just a sweet, sort of a sad woman. And I think she and Steve were just doing the best that they could.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: Tell us a little bit about their family life there and their daughter, Kelly, and you can tell us and tell our audience about baby daughter, but also tell us a little bit about Grand Junction. Where where Grand Junction, Colorado really is geographically.
Speaker 3: Okay, So so I think there, you know, their life was pretty quiet. They lived in a sort of an upscale apartment complex known as the Chateau Apartments. There were a lot of young families and a lot of college co eds living around there. And they lived in a second floor apartment that Steve paid for by working at as a pipes that are at a power plant about gosh, four or five hours north in Craig Craig, Colorado. Grand Junction sits on the western slope of the Colorado It's about, you know, twenty five minutes from the Utah line. It is a really a striking place for much of the day. The the entire atmosphere there sort of glows vermillion. There's the Colorado National Monument is there, and it is it is sort of mesa and butte and high desert for as far as the eye can see.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 3: A uniquely beautiful but also sort of spooky kind of place. And it is, you know, historically been a boom town. There were you know, they mind minerals there, vandium, eventually uranium for the Manhattan Project, and there was a real sort of booman bust mentality where you have a lot of young men moving into town, getting rich and then getting poor again even quicker. And I think nineteen seventy five in Grand Junction is sort of unique because you know, you've got guys coming home from Vietnam. It seems like sort of oddly, everybody I spoke to had some some story about a young man that they knew back then that died in a drunken wreck. You know, I think alcoholism was fairly rampant. It was also this sort of place where when men crossed each other there was a fight. There was no sort of shoving, They just fought.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It was a lot of you know, Steve Benson's dad and also Doug Rushing's dad for that matter, were World War Two vets and tough guys. You know, Doug Rushing's dad was in the eighty second Airborne and so you had that generation of men who had had combat training, and then you had you know, the next generation where young men who were you know, going off to fight in Vietnam. So there was that sort of that, you know, the the that sort of tension of like having been in war, having been a soldier, you know, sort of you know, kind of the widespread loss of like you know, white male privilege in terms of you know, we're talking about a generation of guys who had sort of been betrayed by or you know, felt like they had been betrayed by the the command structure in Vietnam, women's live was big, you know, sort of we were on the sort of the sexual revolution was sort of in in full progress, and around town, you know, there was a Chicano movement was sorting to sort of was starting, was beginning to sort of gather scheme. So It's Grand Junction in nineteen seventy five is sort of a town that is small and yet growing and also sort of seems to be a bit of a pressure cooker in terms of in terms of crime.
Speaker 6: Now you talk about Linda and Steve having they had a lot of friends in this chateau building, but they really did spend most of their time. They were especially close with the Grants, Maureen Grant and Gary Grant and Gary Junior, who was three years old, and they lived right above them in apartment three eleven. So tell us a little bit about their relationship and how close they were, and tell us a little bit about Maureen.
Speaker 3: And really it was really, yeah, it was really Linda and Maureen. Maureen was nineteen when she moved to the chateau. You know, I think probably in the fall fall of seventy four, and Linda was really like a big sister to her. They you know, their kids were about the same age. Gary Junior was you know, three, Kelly was five. So they spent you know, their days at the park or you know sort of in the in the mornings they would go and they would take their kids for a walk, and then in the afternoon they would do yogan one of the apartments and they sort of you know, since they they lived sort of one on top of the other, you know, they would just keep their doors open and sort of run up and down the stairs.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: They sort of had a schedule. On Tuesdays they went to you know, Taco bell. At Wednesdays, you know, on Wednesdays they brought their kids to friendlies. You know, there was always some sort of activity with the kids, and you know, there was a strange a sort of a strange thing was was that these two women were very close and yet their conversations a lot of the times sort of revolved around motherhood. You know, there wasn't a lot of there wasn't a lot of kind of intense intimate personal talk about about you know, sort of about their lives. It was you know about sort of their their lives beyond sort of the most the more quot hittying details, you know, when they had some other friends that that I think she filled the more in that stuff. But but more, Maureen is really the closest person to to Indo at that time. And and sort of Gary Senior worked out of town. I think he was a coal miner up north, uh, not far from where Steve worked. But they didn't really like Gary Senior. He was sort of abrasive, uh you know again, sort of a boisterous, a boisterous drinker. So yeah, they had they had a really they had a really lively social life there. You know, a lot of sitting out on the patio, you know, a lot of a lot of beer drinking, and and and and and sort of soft drugs and having fun.
Speaker 6: Now, tell us about the situation where.
Speaker 4: Her husband is.
Speaker 6: Steve is not home when he works. He works a little bit out of town. So what's the situation there. They're not buried. But tell us how how it comes that he's not there all the time.
Speaker 3: We'll say, so, Yeah, so Steve works as a he was a union pipe fitter at a on a big construction job. They're building a big powerhouse up in Craig, Colorado. So every Sunday at around four am, he would get out of bed and uh he'd either and he would drive up to Craig with a guy named Harold Railey, and you know, they they'd work the week Steve would camp out and you know, when it was warm enough, he would pop a tent out by uh was it Otter Creek up up by the yamp or out by the Yamper River, and he would wake up in the morning and he'd fish for his breakfast, and then he'd go to work, and then he'd go back to his campfite campsite and fish for his dinner. And he saved a lot of money doing that. During the winter, he would share a hotel room with you know, eight or ten other guys and they would split the bill eight or ten ways. And you know, he was he was really sort of working for the weekend, if you know what I mean. You know, like his he had lending Kelly down down in Grand Junction, so he was sort of you know four days there, you know, three at home or or something like that.
Speaker 6: Now, was there any talk with Linda, with Maureen about Steve being a threat at all? Was there any I know they weren't. Some of the conversation was limited, But was there any conversation like that with Maureen that Maren has.
Speaker 3: You know, I not that I was aware of, you know, the sort of a picture of you know, it was interesting. The way my research sort of shook out was I got in touch fairly early with the Grand Junction District attorney, and they were really supportive. For my first three or four days in Grand Junction, they opened up a conference room in the courthouse building, and they just brought in all the all the files, all the photos that you know, the crime scene photos, the autopsy photos, all of the police reports, all the all of the notes that the cops actually took back in nineteen seventy five. You know, Doug Rushing still had his stuff too, and he allowed me to take a look at that. But I just had an unbelievable amount of you know, every time the police would would interview somebody, they would fill out sort of an interview report, and you know, all the sort of the stuff that I read about, you know, kind of Scheve's difficult history with women came from those police reports. You know, they came from ex's or from people who knew an X or something like that. By all accounts, you know, other than sort of from talking to Linda's family, I mean, they they they are sort of under the impression that Steve was still is still Steve is they think Steve is the killer.
Speaker 4: I do not, But.
Speaker 3: By all accounts, it was sort of a loving, gentle relationship. You know, they were sort of, you know, like I said earlier, like two kids who were really kind of doing the best that they could. And so now, you know, I don't think that Maureen or Lind's other kind of close confident in the building there, her name was Pat Freeman, ever really thought of Steve that way, you know. I mean I think certainly Pat had seen Steve lose his temper kind of in a drunken rage one night. But but other than that, you know, he never you know, they never heard of him, you know, sort of touching Linden in a way that she didn't want to be touched, or you know, there were never you know, Bruce Marks. I know, the police didn't pull up any you know, hospital reports for her with with you know, a broken nose or a you know, a black guy or anything like that. So so sort of from what I gather, it was kind of a you know, kind of a quiet, gentle relationship.
Speaker 6: Okay, let's talk about July twenty fifth, nineteen seventy five. Why is it that Steve doesn't have a key? Tell us the circumstances and the discovery that he made.
Speaker 4: So Steve.
Speaker 3: Steve was doing well enough at work that he wanted to buy a new al Camino and he put down a deposit at the Chevy dealership in Craig, Colorado, and you know, after work that night, he dropped his Chevy comment off at the dealership and caught a ride from Craig down to Grand Junction. About an hour outside of Grand Junction, he realizes that the keys that he'd left in the glove par the glove box of the car that he was trading in, also had his house key, so that when he arrived back to the chateau, he was locked out. And that sort of started a I think must have been the most horrifying sort of fifteen minutes of his life where he's sort of, you know, realizing something's wrong and isn't able to you know, get inside, and he you know, began to ask ask the neighbors, you know, have you seen Linda?
Speaker 6: Where is she?
Speaker 4: He is Ryan here? And I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you a fist pumper, a wooer, a handclapp or a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino. At chumbacasino dot com, choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prize. There are new game releases weekly, plus three daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 4: No participatary.
Speaker 3: Everybody lost the terms conditions eighteen plus. You know, why is the apartment lock white? You know, why are the why are the why are the shades drawn?
Speaker 6: And you know?
Speaker 3: Eventually he was able to spring up on a on a sort of a swamp cooler that that hung kind of, you know, about halfway between the second floor balcony in the ground. It was easy to kind of boost himself up off the swamp cooler and onto a balcony, and he was able to slide. There was a sliding door. He opened that the sliding door was off the track, so he opened it, let himself in and found the bodies there, and then, uh, you know, went and called the police.
Speaker 6: And what what was the state? Not to get into every gory detail, but what was the state of the bodies?
Speaker 4: Where?
Speaker 6: Where were where were they in relation to each other? And what had happened to Linda and her little five year old her?
Speaker 3: So, uh, the the you know, the sort of in the in the in the in the hours that followed the discovery of the bodies, the Grand Grand Junction Police dispatched their crime scene unit to the apartment, and what they found was Linda had been stabbed and beaten pretty viciously, but she'd been stabbed mostly in the chest in a in a sort of a kind of a cluster pattern over her heart, and her body was gammed up between a mattress which they kept on the floor into bureau and the space was just a little bit too small for her for her to fit into, so she was kind of tinned up against the wall or against the the bureau a little bit. Kelly was in There was sort of a strange hallway in the apartment, and Kelly was in the the sort of the strange it was kind of there was the living room, and then you would walk through the living room into this hallway, and this hallway had doors for Stephen in his bedroom, and then for a bathroom, and then the bathroom adjoined to Kelly's Kelly's room, and Kelly was sort of halfway between the hallway and the bathroom, and she'd been stabbed in a in a sort of similar similar fashion, pretty brutally, and I think six times.
Speaker 6: Steve, like you say, is shocked and runs out of there. But what's his once police come there? What what do they do with Steve? What is his state? What is his demeanor at that time? And how do police initially assess the crime scene.
Speaker 3: Well, so Steve was brought down to the police station in question for quite a few hours. They did a physical examination, you know, they checking his hands and and he was eventually let go. You know, I think he was the I think the police sort of rightly assessed that he was just a complete and total shock and and was also at the same time a little bit aggravated that the police were really kind of you know, the the police were looking him at you know, at him as their primary suspect and and made very little secret of that. Now, the crime scene, there was a lot of blood and there, and there were there were blood in places that led the police to believe that the killer had cut himself. They found uh, sort of bloody handprints on the wall in the living room by a light switch. They found you know, drops of blood kind of all over the kitchen, and you know, they found you know, I mean sort of this is sort of blood in addition to kind of like your average kind of cast off spray. So you know, so they had a pretty good idea. There were sort of you know, two plump droplets on Linda's chests that you know, led the police to believe that, you know, the killer had sort of leaned down over her in blood on her. And so they you know, seeing that, they kind of immediately tried to type. You know, they took scrapings of the blood for for typing. So they also took blood from Steve Benson to to to match up to see if they could match it up with the blood test. Still, you know, I'm fairly certain that if you were to talk to Doug Rushing or with Jim from the two detectives that investigated, I think they would tell you that fairly early on they didn't think that it was Steve Benson. Excuse me, I know from from told me on a number I'm sorry, not from Rushing, told me on another on a number of occasions that you know. One one of the things that they learned at the police academy in Golden you know, years earlier, was that most of the time, when the bodies are just just sort of left at the crime scene, it's not a family member. Family members will try to or the theory that they were using were that sort of family members try to dispose of the bodies. They try to hide what they've done. You know, maybe it's out of shame, but you know, they thought, you know, kind of family members will will frequently, you know, take the bodies away and try to hide them someplace.
Speaker 6: Was there some element of you you alluded to the idea that it might be something on the chests of both Linda and her daughter. Was it a cross, as you mentioned.
Speaker 4: And determined it wasn't on.
Speaker 3: It wasn't on Kelly's chest, but there was there was a cross that looked like it was done with the tip of a very sharp knife, sort of carved into into Linda's chest, and you know, sort of at the at the autopsy, the friends, the forensic doctor noted that he thought she had been tortured.
Speaker 6: Now, what do police determine from Is there a robbery motive which she was Linda sexually assaulted? Does it look again we just talked about that it looks not like a family member because the bodies weren't covered up, and then there's this obvious overkill and now you're talking about torture. So what could the police deem from the crime scene? What was their earliest conclusions at least you know, consistently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, nothing was taken from the apartment. They did a walk through the Steve Benson days after the murder. They brought him back to the crime scene and he did a walk through, and they they basically determined based on you know, based on the condition of her body and you know that she had a lot of a lot of material under a lot of skin, you know, skinny material under her fingernails. What they think happened was that it was an attempted rape, that the assailant had had entered the apartment, uh and and tried to rape her and she fought him off. And he ended up killing her. And you know, because this happened late at night, the struggle with the little girl who went out into the living room and saw this strange man in her house and you know, made a racket and he killed her. And you know, I think, as far as I can tell, that's actually what happened, you know, and that for the most part was their theory sort of from this from the start, you know, nothing had been stolen Steve. Steve Benson's alibi was was really air tight. You know, there were time cards, there was not a lot of you know, there were time cards. There were witnesses who saw him up around Hidden Colorado kind of hours earlier. There was no real solid reason to think it was Steve Benson other than you know, sort of you know, what what people were saying about Benson around town, and just the fact that, you know, they always look at the spouse first, and so I think the polices or the you know, the sort of Grand Junction police's assessment of what happened in that apartment from the beginning was fairly consistent and to this day, I think is actually what happened.
Speaker 6: Now, tell our audience, as you point out in the book there's for those people that are not quite as old as I am in my fifties. So tell us about what the state of forensic technology was and science was in regards to DNA at that time. But regardless of that, what was police procedure in terms of preserving evidence at the crime scene?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 3: So, yeah, no DNA technology yet to speak of. I don't think that they actually, you know, the suspect that, you know, the guy they eventually get, they get him because of a blood test that he gives up in prison in nineteen seventy eight, and you know, I don't think sort of DNA testing was getting going, you know, kind of until around that time. The forensic science in the mid seventies, you know, I mean, I think they did a good job. The you know, the Grand Junction Police Department clearly did a very good job with the technology that they had available to them. So they were doing erology, which is, you know, blood typing, but that was kind of about it. You know, they could do fingerprints, but that was really you know, that was still a really time consuming and frequently fruitless you know sort of discipline. So yeah, I mean it was really just blood typing. You know, blood typing and kind of on the ground police work.
Speaker 6: Now with you say that Steve Benson has got an air tight alibi, despite what the city folk believe or despite what the media has conjured up and but then you also in this tale include other people and other victims as you introduce the rushing detective rushing and detective from and so let's talk a little bit about twenty four year old Denise all of us, oliverson and and tell us why you have included why her case is important.
Speaker 4: To this story.
Speaker 3: Well, so, nineteen seventy five in the Midwest, in the in the sort of in the West, you know, the kind of from you know, really from Oregon, Oregon to Arizona is terrifying. You know, girls were just disappearing left and right, and and nobody knew where they were going and you or what was happening to them. You know, occasionally some some jogger in a park would would find some you know, a skull or some bones, or you know, a girl would wash up on a river and she'd been you know, you know, tortured and killed or you know, I mean, just just a terrifying time to live in the West. And and Oliverson is this sort of she was gosh, twenty four and newly married, I think, and she'd had a fight with her husband, took her bike out and was last seen at a gas station where you know, kind of months later they discover Ted Bundy used his credit card there that afternoon. But you know, Bundy is really sort of a catalyst for just a feeling of you know, just this this sort of feeling of fear that you know, he was he was grabbing girls everywhere, and and there was just that, there was just that atmosphere people were scared. This was truly nineteen seventy five, truly kind of the era of the drifter. You know, there were there were no there was no real way of you know, people you know, kind of keeping cabs on each other. You know, there's no there are no cell phones, there are no you know, there are no real computers. It's not like the police are gonna you know, instantaneously be able to trace credit card receipts or you know, atm use or anything like that. And that's really what Ted Bundy was doing around that time, was sort of going on these hunting expeditions around uh, you know, Colorado and Utah, and so he's sort of he's sort of part of that Grand Junction also sits on on Interstate seventy. It's the largest city between Salt Lake in Denver. So it's a major thoroughfare for all sorts of sort of uh, you know, unsavory guys who were passing, you know, you know, passing through town. I think that year, was it, two or three of the ten of the fbis most wanted were caught around you know, we're caught you know, on or around I seventy. You know, there was a large transient population. I mean it was a really you know, like I said before, it was it was a small town that was bracing for an oil shale boom. There was sort of an influx of new money and just people started showing up in town. And nobody really knew who any of these new people were. They were transience, you know, like I said, there were sort of truck drivers and you know, and and all these people, you know, all these people sort of stopping off and mixing with the locals, and you know, every so often there'd be you know, a big barfighter, you know, a stabbing. You know, things were really sort of about to go bad there.
Speaker 6: Now you talk about in your book that the extent that the police in grand junction went to the extent that they went to try to find the perpetrators of these murders. And so they looked at peeping toms and flashers and stalkers and prank callers and sex offenders. Tell us what the police uh rushings and from and the police force do, what's their next what's their next step? And what is the extent as I alluded to, to try to find the perpetrators.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they they did hundreds of interviews. I mean they really left no you know, sort of no stone went unturned. They went as far as they had the Chief of Detectives food to Quantico to meet with the FBI, and they did a you know, they had the behavioral analysis Unit was a kind of a new thing in nineteen seventy five, and so you know, the chief of Detectives went to Quantico to meet to spend a week with the behavioral Analysis unit, and he came back with a sort of a you know, generic sketch of a you know, like a mannequin, horny seventeen year old with you know, like you know, associative disorder, you know, or an attachment disorder or something. You know, like they were looking for a young man who you know, did not like being in the in the in the boys locker room after Jim, and was into pornography and had maybe set fires and had maybe tortured animals, had you know, somebody would have tattoos or you know, they thought, gosh, you know, like they were looking for somebody who maybe worshiped Satan. You know, they sort of this laundry list of you know, kind of one of the investigators would later call it sad scientific, wild ass guesses, you know. And and so yeah, I mean, they they were they just didn't have the technology to solve this case. At at their disposal. There was really nothing that they could have done. You know, I'm not sure that I'm giving up too much by saying, like, you know, like one of those drifters that I was talking about was involved, and so yeah, I mean, you know, there there was literally nothing else that they could have done. I mean, they just were not getting an answer.
Speaker 6: Then there was the idea that you had mentioned that they thought that the perpetrator had cut himself and serious enough that they notified all the surrounding hospital us to be on the alert for somebody that might have wounded them. What was their progress or what was their success in that lead?
Speaker 3: Again? Nothing? I mean they there, you know, there there were there were you know, there was a you know, a guy who had cut himself building a you know, like a sort of an enclosure for his chickens. You know, I think on some roofing. He'd cut his hand.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: There was a young guy who cut himself working at a steakhouse. There was a guy who who got a pencil a pencil point through the sort of the outside of his hand when he was wrestling with a friend. You know, there was I mean, it was just they just had nothing. They just they you know, they they went after Linda's father in law, guy named Lawrence Hemrit, who was you know sort of you know, as I mentioned earlier, kind of a you know, a degenerate and an alcoholic, and he sexually abused Linda when she was young. And they couldn't, you know, they they couldn't get anything on him, like you know, he would lie about his alibi. But then there was just nothing. There was nothing that they could put on him, you know, Rushing said to me once, like, you know, you can't lock a guy up for just being an asshole, and they just had nothing. You know, they wanted him, they wanted it to be him, I think really badly. You know, he was a really good suspect, and they just they just didn't have the evidence. They just they had, you know, they had all this sort of blood evidence, this all that. You know, there was a droplet of blood from the crime scene that was on the outside of a checks box that was just a perfect sample of you know, perfect sample, perfectly placed. They found it, you know, they there.
Speaker 5: Was just.
Speaker 3: There was just no way to to match it. You know, I mean, this this case just really needed DNA.
Speaker 6: Now, in your book, you talk about young girls turning up dead everywhere in the Western United States Washington, Utah, Colorado, found naked, frozen out in the woods, raped, beaten, mutilated, strangled, skulls caved in, and the other women had vanished and so there was no body. So there was dozens of girls. So what is tell us about Agent Bob Perkins and the connection with Junction and what they do with this sort of information that they're getting from these other states about missing women and murdered women.
Speaker 3: So I think Bob Perkins had just noticed that all of these girls that were missing kind of looked alike.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: They were all you know, late teens, pretty long, dark hair that they parted down the middle. And he started, so this is actual sort of funny. When when I was reporting this, I would talk to Junction, to Rushing and from about law enforcement.
Speaker 4: Then and.
Speaker 3: Dug made it clear to me that even in nineteen seventy five, the free serial killer wasn't really being used at all anywhere. And Perkins, Perkins just noticed that these girls all looked alike, you know, and they were all sort of you know, the ones who were recovered were you know, that all the same thing it had, you know, they had all died in sort of a similar manner, you know, brutally, and he just he started to formulate this theory that you know, all of these deaths were connected and that you know, that suspicion sort of links up with accounts of this guy named Ted who's driving you know, a tanned beetle around the you know, around the Western States, grabbing girls. You know, there had been a couple of Bundy's potential victims got.
Speaker 4: Away and gave.
Speaker 3: You know, police police reports, and I think it was one of gosh, one of Bundy's ex girlfriends that had first you know reported uh, really really bizarre activity. I think maybe it was in Washington State or Utah maybe, And so they knew about they knew sort of in theory about this guy Ted and he was I mean he was really I think the you know, kind of the harbinger, the harbinger of bad things.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: In junction he uh, he grabbed Dennis oliverson on on on April twenty fourth.
Speaker 6: Now, what was the rushing and From's reaction to you know, Ted Bundy being a potential culprit in in Linda Benson's murder her and her daughter Kelly. How far did they go and and tell us about their Yeah, well, you know, I mean investigation that yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Know Linda's you know, the it's it's strange, you know, the the Bundy Bundy struck in Grand Junction in in April, and they concluded, you know, as as the as the as the Bundy investigation wore on as they sort of started collecting good intelligence on him, you know, after he was stopped in Salt Lake, Uh, kind of I think that was in the fall, maybe August or September, and they sort of started put the you know, there was a a.
Speaker 4: Kind of a.
Speaker 3: A kind of regional call to arms amongst police departments about this guy Ted and where he'd been and what he'd done. And as they started to look for him, Bob, you know, Rushing and from remembering that Bob Perkins had had sort of like pointed to all of these girls who sort of looked the same, like you know, Linda Benson, like Denise sulliverson you know, uh, you know, pretty brown hair, long that they parted in the middle. But uh, From and Rushing definitely checked on Bundy's whereabouts on the night of the on the night of the murders, and there was just no way that it could have been it could have been Bundy. He was another one that was actually fairly easy to eliminate. I think it was based on credit card records.
Speaker 6: It is incredible though, that that that's where Bundy was on April sixth, and yet he was not the killer of these two women. That is, and you're talking about a place that's what twenty thousand people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was about twenty twenty five thousand people. Yeah, yeah, I mean it's just you know, I mean and he you know, he I think he struck in what was it and tell your ride and Aspen. I think he grabbed a girl in snow Mass which is not far from from Grand Junction at all. Yeah, he was definitely that that area. You know that I seventy corridor. You know, it's it's Denver to Salt Lake in a couple hours. And and there's really not much you know, there's Grand Junction and there's sort of a couple resort towns along the way, but really really not much. Aspen, uh, you know, Telly Ride is not far. But yeah, it's kind of amazing. I mean just all the all, all just the concentration of evil around that time in that place is really staggering. It really is.
Speaker 6: Absolutely so rushing and from are again hard at work and trying to find who is the culprits, how do police proceed? We're talking about a lot of time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're they're they're they're actually and they're actually really sort of interesting characters, you know, sort of in the tradition of you know, true crime or sort of I was, you know, I had been reading a lot of I think I mentioned this to you earlier. I had been reading a lot of Cormick McCarthy at the time, and and and also a lot of sort of hard boiled writing. So I was sort of like really thinking about like two traditions and sort of you know, the Western and or you know, sort of the Border trilogy books, and also sort of you know, old detective novels. You know, I was reading the David Piece I read They read the David Piece trilogy right around that time too. And the thing that I love about rushing in from as characters is that they're both you know, when this happened, they you know, they were both detectives, but they were still both like twenty three and twenty four years old, so they were really you know, they were kids. They were children, and they were you know, you know sort of and I was sort of trying to operate in this, you know, the tradition of like you know, the hard boiled detective novel. But these guys were just like the softest boiled guys. The boiled guys.
Speaker 4: There ever were you know, like.
Speaker 3: You know, Jim, Jim was like a wealthy kid who's you know, whose dad belongs to the local golf club, and Doug, you know, was sort of had a dad that was, you know, a bad alcoholic and really violent, and Doug really sort of depended on his mom and his sisters, and you know, to this day, he's a really soft spoken, very sweet, very sensitive guy. And so, you know, they it was sort of fun to interact with those characters and sort of like try to understand how to completely innocent twenty three year old kids are dealing with this, you know, with these murders, and I and I and I really truly believe that they were really trying to just get by, you know, they were I think they were. They were really just trying to survive. They ran down you know, really every lead there was. I mean, I think, you know, I think that they were two very different guys. You know, Doug is sort of soft spoken and from his sort of to this day sort of as a real chip on his shoulder, and they were, you know, they complimented each other. Well, you know, from is the first guy to sort of like knocked down the door, but Rushing wants to hang around a lot longer and sort of like look at evidence or he always wants to do the extra interview. You know, he was really thorough, very thoughtful, very analytical cop and they really, you know, they ran it out. They ran it out to the end. From told me the day that he knew that they weren't going to catch.
Speaker 4: Him was the day that.
Speaker 3: They were given a new you know, a new profile of the killer. And they were they were interviewing men between the ages of eighteen and forty one who got pornographic materials sent to their house. And on the top of the list was like From's best friend, who was just this really you know, gentle guy who there was no way that he had killed Linda Benz in just no way, and he knew it, and he you know, that was just sort of the endpoint for them, you know that that that that was was that afternoon that they realized they were never going to catch this guy, that he was just gonna walk free and get away with it. And yeah, that went cold. It went it really went cold kind of about a month and a half after the bodies were discovered, or so, you know, a month month and a half after that, you know, Jim and Doug sort of stopped working you know, eighteen hour days and you know, started playing golf again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Now, tell us briefly about the ken Botham trial. Who's Ken Botham?
Speaker 4: And why is?
Speaker 6: Why is this part of the story as well?
Speaker 3: And how well you know? I mean so Ken ken Botham was a really intelligent, super intelligent fellow who lived in town, you know, kind of uh, you know, by all you know, by all accounts, sort of a super intelligent, really arrogant guy who worked as a film producer, I believe, and he lived with his wife, Patricia and their two boys. The younger one is Dad, I can't recall the name of the older boy. And they lived across they lived on Uay Avenue, not far from the Chateau apartments. They lived across the street from a young woman who was in her early twenties and had two boys. Her name was Linda Miracle. And I think it was in mid August, about a month or so after the Benson gals turned up dead, pat Botham, along with Linda Miracle and the Miracle boys vanished and just you know, nobody knew where they went, I mean sort of. It was clear that they were snatched from Linda's house. Uh you know, there was food still on the table, and you know, I think one of the burners on the stove was still going. But they just they didn't know where those two women had vanished too. They sort of thought, oh, you know, Pat Botham is you know, very unhappily married. Maybe they all took off, But you know that there were weird things like Pat Botham's kids were still there, and so were her glasses and her cigarettes, and one of her shoes was still there. You know, like things that people presumably would take with them if they were, you know, bailing on an unhappy marriage were still in the house and so missing. You know, there was never ruled a homicide. You know, nobody's you know, nobody, no homicide until the bodies were found gosh, I think six or seven weeks later, maybe, you know, like I think late October, right, and uh yeah, I mean there was just a sort of an orgy of evidence pointing to can Botham blood on his car, you know, wire, you know, the the when the bodies were recovered, they were the hands were bound with a sort of a pretty heavy age wire. Yeah, and so they you know, they found matches on wirecutters and wire. But again, you know, I mean, what I really wanted.
Speaker 4: To do.
Speaker 3: With this book and with the you know, with Bundy and with the Botham, the Bothroom cases, I'm really just trying to create atmosphere, you know, and and you know, sort of it's it's atmosphere. It's it's sort of you know, there was a lot of there was a lot of talk around town that all of these murders were linked together. You know, why else would all of these young women be going missing, you know, they it you know, they have to be connected. If it's not, if it's not Bundy, it's got to be somebody else. And and and what's going on that all of these all that all of these women are disappearing, And so somehow from and Rushing end up investigating this, this this Botham case, you know, and to this day, you know, Botham has since been mister Botham has since been twice convicted of these murders, and to this day, there are just there's a you know, a large faction of people around town that are are absolutely sure that he's innocent. You know, that it was somebody somebody else.
Speaker 4: To do the killing.
Speaker 6: Now, just to throw even more of a monkey wrench into this story, and to add sort of again, I think part of your story is too that nobody knows who anyone really is, and that's why when people point fingers, it looks like there might be a logical suspect, but it turns out that they're not at all.
Speaker 3: So there is everybody's a red Yeah, everybody's a suspect, and nobody has done it, you know. I mean, it's just, you know, there there are there are sort of a number of other young women around town who after the Botham disappearances, and you know, after all that's going on, more women are disappearing, and and you know, there another girl sort of in December is found strangled in her bathtub and they don't know and they never find that guy either, you know. I mean, it's just there was just sort of there was no relief even sort of you know, I sort of often feel like, you know, like an arrest, justice is something that frequently will offer relief, and there was just no relief like that either, you know, And and sort of I think the police department really really almost lost control of the town. The people. People were so scared, and I think in a lot of ways that's what I really wanted the first half of this book to be about, as sort of a town unraveling, you know that that certainly happens, you know, and and sort of that that real feeling of fear around town sort of pervades until the middle of like nineteen seventy six or sort of a fall of seventy six when when mister Boffam is convicted.
Speaker 6: One other thing is that a guy named Steve go in nineteen seventy six or so. And this doesn't come up till little bit later, but he sees something about Ted Bundy on TV and sees Bundy's face and at that time says later on, he says, I recognize that guy, and I saw him at the Chateau. So tell us a little bit about just this little part of the story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's funny. So Steve God was this sort of he's still a character. He was one of the guys I found. And he had a he had a roommate. And these guys were sort of they're making a lot of money tending bar at a local at a you know, sort of at a local local club, and they were really into like racing hot rods. Uh and and they Goad and his buddy Clint were in the parking lot at the chateau one night and they saw a guy, you know, the night that when the bench is murdered, they see a guy sort of like leave the apartment building, and you know, it looked like he was sort of like, you know, sort of clutching at his hand or something, and God got it, gave him a good book in the eye. And and the way God put it to me, he said, I thought we were gonna rumble, Like the guy just was scary looking and looked at him very aggressively. And yeah, so I think I think he waited like what like six six months or eight months to contact the police with this, and he was sure that it was Ted Bundy. The funny thing was that, you know that that testimony was largely dismissed because there was some information that Steve was sort of like God was the phrase for this, like visually unreliable, like he had once he had once claim to see an airplane crash on a golf course and swore that he saw this airplane crash on the golf course, but no airplane ever crashed on the golf course in grand junctions. So they were just sort of like, you know, this guy's this guy's fruit loops. You know, he's sort of nuts, so that you know, his testimony was eventually dismissed. But yeah, I mean they ran down everything. I mean, and it seemed like the mess In case, which was officially closed in seventy six, every every couple of years somebody would come forward and claim to know something, and they would, you know, there was a you know, one of Linda's mom or Linda's mom, Barbara had had a husband. She had several husbands. I think she'd been married like eight or nine times, but she had a you know, one of her sort of many husbands came to the you know, the police and like, you know, seventy nine or eighty and said, I think Barbara did it. You know, I mean it was always sort of you know, it was always sort of being opened and shot and you know, they look into it or you know, they'd be a lead and they'd go and get the boxes. But yeah, sort of strangely, they yeah, they just never they never got their guy.
Speaker 6: Now let's talk about the change of guard at the Grand Junction. Colorado Police in terms of the reinvestigation, are they going to reopen They get some money from Colorado from the state of Colorado to open up some cold cases. And who opens up the cold cases? And how do they proceed? Tell us about this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was. I think it was essentially, you know, federal federal money that had been given to the state during during the stimulus during during the Great Recession, and it was money. It was money that the department could never actually figure out a way to spend it. So they they gave it to the departments for to open up cold cases. And so what they did was they called in you know, a lot of these old cops had stayed around, guys that had had you know, sort of headed up the department in the seventies, had stayed around Grand Junction, especially a guy named Ron Smith who was kind of the chief of detectives, and he he ran a kind of a private detective agency after retirement, and and you know, all these guys talk. It's a it's a really small, really tight knit community as is. But they came to him and they said, you know, we've got this, we've got this spedual money, and we're sort of, you know, we're looking for a cold case to investigate. Do you does anything sort of strike you as as appropriate, and he said, oh, yeah, you know the Benson case. They asked you know, they asked another the police asked another retired detective. He gave them the same answer. You know, they got to rushing and from and they gave him the same answer. So it was very clear early on that there was gonna be a lot of a lot of evidence that maybe they could use. I think it was right around Thanksgiving of two thousand and eight or so they called in a guy named Larry Bullard. And if there was ever a gentleman who is like sort of made and crafted by the Lord to be a law enforcement agent, it was this guy. I mean, he is, you know, sort of big strawberry blonde guy with you know, sort of fists like hammers and huge forearms and the thundering voice and the you know, gigantic mustache. And he had been you know, the head of forensics and you know, at a police department and in gosh, New Mexico for years, years and years before retiring and moving to Grand Junction and starting a second career in law enforcement. And they thought, and he would just ended up being the you know, sort of the perfect person to spearhead this thing. You know, he took all these boxes of evidence, you know, all the exhibits, all the notes, and you know, organized and digitized things and really recreated that the the investigation from nineteen seventy five that from rushing in this sort of other small team of detectives that worked with them put together for the Benson case. Eventually, you know, his his uh, I think sort of as he was getting it sort of happened as he was getting to the end of his own investigation, but they got that's when the the DNA match came back, and so it's sort of it sort of really worked neatly for them in terms of, you know, the timing that you know, Bullard finishes his investigation, he sort of has he sort of has come to the same conclusion that the cops in seventy five did you know that there was just nobody. It didn't make sense that anybody around town did this. You know, everybody had sort of these buttoned up alibis. You know that finally they get sort of you know, they get the result from the DNA test and it was just somebody they never suspected.
Speaker 6: Now, let's talk about Jerry and Neemnich, because that's who they get through Cotis and it's a match. And you alluded to that his DNA was in the system since seventy eight. Tell us what his illustrious career criminal life, and then and then tell us who Sandy Higgins is and how they came to speak to Sandy Higgins.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Jerry was just a just I mean, a bad guy.
Speaker 4: I mean just you know, like.
Speaker 3: I think, I think wicked is really the only the word for him. You know, got caught for his first rape when he was fifteen. I think he did, you know, like five or six years for that first offense. And on the on the on the very day that he was released, he was picked up again and brought to and extradited to Colorado for a rape that he committed like a day or two after his after his first assault, and he pled, he played, you know, he pled guilty and went went away again for you know, another seven years, and then you know, sort of drifted around and ended up in Grand Junction and was passing bad checks and did another four years. And it was just sort of he was just in and out over and over again, and just yeah, I mean I can't think of anything to say about it other than he was just a real like just a really rotten character. You know, during during my research, I actually uncovered a really sort of gosh, probably a three or four hundred page stack of letters that he had exchanged.
Speaker 4: With a woman.
Speaker 3: After he was put back in jail in nineteen seventy eight for a rape and attempted murder. And he I mean, these letters are just I mean, I mean, it's just sort of kind of like a map of a psychopath's mind. They're they're sort of fascinating. You know that he's got this. Here's a guy who's sort of in his life, has never really done anything and has a really you know, high opinion of himself and nothing of it, nothing is ever his own fault, and you know, there are sort of all these really bad sexual innuendos, and I mean just really a guy who's clearly not comfortable with who he is, and he's you know, you can tell he's you know, he's lonely and he's desperate, and you know you can sort of every once in a while you sort of like he'll write something and it gives you a glimpse of sort of like you're sort of reminded, like, oh, this guy is a serial rapist.
Speaker 4: You know, I mean he was.
Speaker 3: Just a yeah, I mean, a really bad guy. I think in seventy four he was released from prison for passing some bad checks and he met a woman in Denver, UH named Sandy Higgins. Sandy was a divorcee who had moved to who had moved to Grand Junction I think from like around Chicago maybe, and she had a waitressing job, and she met Jerry at a nightclub and they just sort of fell in together. She lived really hard, you know, and I think they were sort of, you know, they were sort of a mess together. You know, I think they were in a lot of ways. It seems like they were kind of perfect for each other, and just that they really were kind of a mess together.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: There was you know, like a lot, a lot of boozing that went on. So, you know, they found Jerry found a job at a print shop in Grand Junction, and then after Grand Junction, they were in California for a while and they were back in Denver, and then they were sort of I think he went up to work in the oil patch and like Wyoming or Idaho, she went with him until eventually they broke up. And then he committed another rape and he was in jail and from fessionally think it was from seventy eight to like ninety eight or so, or seventy seventy seventy six to ninety eight. Yeah, when he was released.
Speaker 6: So was crucial tell us about how hard it was or not hard it was getting the information from Sandy Higgins about the night that despite this DNA evidence, they need a little bit more evidence. And this certainly is a lot more evidence in terms of him coming to the home and what she witnessed. So tell us about that and how hard or easy it was to get that information from Sandy Higgins.
Speaker 3: Sure. So the Grand Junction police they they can mean a sort of a little cold case unit to work on this case together and the and the and besides Larry Bullard, you know, Larry Bullard sort of took the case to the conclusion that he could, which was that nobody in Grand Junction committed the murders. Then they had the d in evidence that that came in. It proved that this guy, Jerry Nemnic, who was this drifter, was the culprit. And what the police that needed to do was they needed to figure out if Jerry Nemnic was ever in Grand Junction at that time where he lived, to see if there was any sort of proximity to the Bens in place, if he had known Linda Benson, and what was the connection. Because they didn't have a murder weapon, so they needed all this they you know, and and they also needed a DNA sample to test against the sample that they had from nineteen seventy eight, anti test against the samples that were taken from Underling when his fingernails and from the bread on the on the cereal box. And so they dispatched these two detectives, Crockett and Bennett, both really great guys from Grand Junction. And these guys start traveling in the United States tracking down people who were friends with Jerry in the seventies. And they got these those names through looking at the visitor's logs at the prisons where Jerry had done time and just sort of then by word of mouth, so they you know, and and they sort of worked in these circles. So at the center of the circle was Jerry, and since they didn't want to they didn't want to tip them off about the investigation, they started on the outside of the circle, which is a sort of a common device or sort of a common strategy that a lot of journalists like wood Word would use. And so they sort of started circling Jerry, and so the first round of people that they wanted to talk to were the ones who were sort of farthest from him. So it was actually they started by talking with the women that he had raped in the past and sort of figured out what was his mo and then they eventually, you know, eventually, you know, they talked to some other people that sort of knew Jerry in the seventies, and then just when they thought that they were getting a little too close, that's when they got their arrest warrant and brought nemnic in. So after they brought nemnic in, they and they had him in custody. That's when they got on the road and they started talking to people that they knew were really close with nemnic in the seventies, and eventually they they get to this sort of little town, was it Winnetka? Is that where Sandy's from, Yeah, sort of on the border of Illinois and Indiana, And she lives in this sort of scrapy old house and she's clearly a very field lady. They could you know, they could smell the cats from outside, and she just had just very little memory. I mean, I think it had sort of been erased by a, you know, a life of boozing, and she she just was not really able to recall anything at first. And then you know that they thought. I think Bennett and Crocker going into that interview had thought that that was going to be the one that sort of wrapped it up for them. Oh, yeah, you know, we knew Linda Benson from X or you know, Jerry took an a leg to her because why or yeah, we used to have threesomes with the Bensons or there, you know what I mean. There would be something, some some recognition of the name. You know, this interview was gonna was going to yield some results for them. And Sandy didn't remember anything until the next morning when she calls Bennett on his cell phone and says, you know, I do remember having an injury. He came home one night, and I remember because he was wearing my favorite He had these Sherbert yellow Sherbert yellow nylon pants that I used to love on him, and they were covered in blood and then she says, you know, and then the next day we took off to Denver, and so they you know, I think Crocker and Bennett then go to Rhode Island and they find the guy that Jerry and Sandy had stayed with in Denver, and it turned out that you know, Sandy could never remember the adjust where they lived in right, because they were trying to establish proximity. And so the guy that they were staying with in Denver was this guy named George who had worked in the liquor store, and Jerry had passed two bad checks in this liquor store. And the guy George, who walked, you know, works behind the counter and was putting Jerry up, had saved these checks for thirty four years just because he was positive that he was going to encounter Jerry Nemnic at some other point in his life and wanted to be like, I want my fifty bucks, so I mean and and on these checks, Jerry had scribbled out their address in Denver and had written on the checks twenty eight to fifty Texas Avenue, Grand Junction, Colorado, and Crockett, seeing that, immediately knew that twenty eight to fifty Texas is about is a little is a little it's a little trailer on a sort of on a corner and a pretty nice little development, like a pretty nice little trailer park.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like it's clean, you know, and it's about a mile and a half from the chateau, and Crockett knew it. That was sort of like one of the big moments for them that they they had proximity. It's it's sort of about a you know, maybe like a mile a mile and an eighth. You know, that the the Nemnic residence in the in the chateau, and that was that was really one of the things that I think sealed the deal for those guys was was getting that address. Coincidentally, you know, sort of some of the the the the police. One way one place where sort of the police department had failed was there was an old cop named Wilcox that lived right across the street from from Jerry and and Sandy, and he said that you know, they were screaming and fighting and sort of labored noises coming from the Nemnic residence all the time, and Wilcox just never looked into Jerry. I mean, it never never occurred to him even after he saw him with a you know, with the bandage on the hand to look into him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, incredible. Now, what we will we have to talk about the trial a little bit, and which is very very unusual, as you know, is that Neminich takes the stand. So tell us just a little bit about the trial, but especially Nminich taking the stand.
Speaker 3: Well, Nemnic or Nemnic, I'm i'm I always sort of saying Nemnic. I think that the the pronunciation goes either way. But he was he was represented by a really really skilled defense team from Denver, and you know, Doug Rushing said to me sort of years later that he thought Nemnic was gonna get off, you know, that his defense team had created just enough doubt that he he thought that the jury might buy it. And then Nemnic takes the stand and gives just sort of the most outrageously really just the most outrageous testimony in the history of perjury. I mean, just you know, really just unbelievable. He claims that, like, you know, he's at the bar one night and he gets talking to what is it, like a six foot seven Indian and he can't tell if this this you know, this Indian is male or female, and the Indian says, oh, hey, you know, well, you take me to get a little marijuana. And so they go to the chateau and then the guy disappears and he waits around and he's got a piece. So he goes into the chateau hallway to look for this six foot seven Indian, but you know, like he doesn't see him, but he does see that there's a door open, and it happens to be the door where Lindon and Kelly are and just as he walks in, he sees he sees a figure who he can't tell if that figures male or female coming at him with a knife raised over his head, and Jerry's got to fight the knife out of his hand, and he does. The guy drops the knife and runs out of the apartment, and Jerry picks up the knife and throws it in the kitchen. That's how the blood got everywhere. And then he can see, you know, the bodies from from sort of that kitchen area, which is actually an impossibility because of because of the weird hallway that I was talking about earlier, the bodies were walked from view. And so he has this just I mean just really the most porous testimony ever and and is convicted. You know, I think that was convicted fairly quickly. You know, I think that that jury spent a lot of time sort of going over things.
Speaker 4: And and.
Speaker 3: And and and kind of reviewing all of the evidence because they wanted to get get it done right. But in me end I don't think there was ever much question that his testimony was just ridiculous.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Now, what would you say in terms of you know, you you write in the epilogue about about the story itself, Well, what did you come away from from this story the killing season? What was the most profound I guess effect or what really struck you? I think after writing this book.
Speaker 3: What struck me was you know, for me, it's all about from and rushing for some reason, you know, I mean, like so in the years and so in the years, in the years since those murders, Steve Benson disappeared and and sort of has lived his life entirely off the grid's He exists largely as kind of a hermit around the Gilah Wilderness in New Mexico. And and so, you know, what struck me is just the way that these murders thirty five years ago, have just utterly destroyed lives, you know, like Jeeve Benson has has been on the has been sort of hiding from this. And I don't think hiding and I'm not saying that he's been hiding from it because he's guilty of it. I think that what happened to him find finding finding those people who were, you know, the two people in the world that he loved the most so utterly wrecked him that he had to run away. You know, you know, uh Lindes, Linda's family, you know, Linda's Linda's stepsister and her little brothers. Like Linda's stepsister was just absolutely ruined by this. She went, she she went, She lost her mind, you know, she she had problems for years and.
Speaker 6: Years and years.
Speaker 3: Linda's mother too, who I also, I mean, she lost two daughters, like I feel for her. Not a great impact. She was not a woman who had a really profoundly positive impact on her daughter's life. But nonetheless, no parent deserves to to lose somebody that way. And then for rushing and from who I think. You know, Doug told me that he went to one of those Dale Carnegie, one of those Dale Carnegie Conferences. They had one at the holiday and I think in Graham Junction or in Golden a couple of years back, and he got to thinking about you know, there was a question that he had to answer during one of the exercise, which was, you know, if you think really honestly with yourself, what is the most profound thing that has ever happened to you? Like, what is the thing that has changed your view of the world most? And he thought and he thought and he thought, and rushing couldn't think of anything that had happened to him that was more important than that case. You know, same same with from you know, he he quit the force, or was sort of you know, asked to leave the force shortly after those shortly after those murders, or not too long after those murders, and he you know, opened up and has had a pretty success full run as an accountant. But again, you know, he would find himself thinking about that case. What did we do wrong?
Speaker 4: What did we miss?
Speaker 3: You know, what didn't we find what could we have done better? Over and over again for thirty plus years, and then finally there's some relief, you know. I mean for me, it was always about sort of that kind of redemption.
Speaker 4: You know, Like.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure, I'm not sure Steve Benson's ever going to get better or he's ever going to feel better about what that would happen to him, but like, at least it's at least that part of his life is over now, you know, at least he can do something else. And the same thing with rushingen from you know, at least those guys can can rest easy on that now, you know. I think the thing that I got most out of it was just sort of that feeling of relief and that redemption for those people.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a it's an incredible tale of how much misery and tragedy one small area can endure and be touched by this, I don't know, just incredible evil for such a small area, for a time that we again we don't think of nineteen seventy five as a good old days, but it was a more innocent time. And yet the evil that was present in this area over a good period of years and then, like you say, a thirty five year cold case cast a poll on a neighborhood and a community as well too. So an incredible story for those that might want to contact to do you do Facebook? Do you have a website?
Speaker 3: Tell us how facebooker, I'm on Twitter. If you want to reach out to me directly, you can reach me on my email as French dot Alex dot M at gmail dot com.
Speaker 6: Well, I want to thank you very much Alex for coming on and talking about the Killing season. Incredible story and thank you for this interview.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. I really appreciate you having me on.
Speaker 6: Well, I hope to talk to you again sometime soon, and thank you and have a great evening.
Speaker 4: Good night to God.
Speaker 3: I