Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBSY, Boston's news radio Cool.
Speaker 2: I agree with you completely. Why would anyone watch a meaningless football game and not listening to Nightside? Thank you very much. It is Thursday night, September twenty sixth. My name is Dan Ray, the host of Nightside. Rob Brooks is back at Broadcast Central. We're all set to interview four guests on four different topics this hour. There will be no phone calls in the eight o'clock hour, however, we will get to phone calls later on tonight. There's some criticism that has come up, and I think it's legitimate criticism. We'll talk about at nine o'clock about the magistrate judge that released Ryan Wesley Routs insane letter. We'll talk about that to the public. We have a great guest at ten o'clock tonight who has written and authorized yet unauthorized biography of Alan Durschwitz. It's really an incredible book and called Legal Gladiator. I think you're going to really enjoy it. We also might talk about the indictment today of New York City Mayor Eric Adams a little bit later on tonight. So we got lots on the calendar for this evening, but first batting leadoff is Joyce Sodopolis. She's the co founder of Mass Robotics, and this weekend is the seventh robot Block Party and the second robot Parade. Joyce, I am all ears. I am not a robotic sort of guy, except I think sometimes in my relationships with other people.
Speaker 3: But you be a robotic Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, that's my wife will tell you. Anyway, My question is you guys actually have a robotics block party? What's that all about? And tell about the parade?
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's super fun. It's it's basically a pavilion style open house robotics festival where we have a couple of life tents and the support, and then we have robots from academia, so things that are being done in research, we have robots from industry, which is.
Speaker 2: How from academia. I mean some of my old college prosts.
Speaker 3: Will be there, Yes they will.
Speaker 2: I'm over, don't take so yeah, a lot of a lot.
Speaker 3: Of yes, yes, a lot of schools will come and kind of showcase what what their students are working on and what their professors are working on. Really very futuristic, but then we have a lot of industry out there who are bringing in robots that are being used in the real world, so manufacturing and high precision gripping and that kind of thing. We have Like Skanska will be there. They're a construction company, but they're going to show what they use for robotics to kind of help them in the construction industry. So a lot of you'll see a lot of robots that are being used in the real world today and kind of showcase the positive impact that that robots are going to have in the future. We also have a lot of student teams, so high school teams, and they all have some kind of mock competitions going on, so that's that's also very fun. But the parade we just started last year and we just kind of it was a win when we said, hey, how many robots roll a walk, fly, like, how can we put them all in a in a grand showcase leading up to the start of the of the block party. So we kind of come down the sidewalk on Seaport Boulevard to a ribbon cutting and then we open, you know, we have a ribbon cutting and then the festival is open.
Speaker 2: So how big a crowd have you drawn in the past. I'm hoping you draw a big crowd.
Speaker 3: On Saturday, thousands, thousands, it's not, luckily, it's it's over the span of many hours, so it's never you know, like you can't move or walk around.
Speaker 2: It's open as the public, so it's free and open to the public, so people can drop in, stay a while, hang around.
Speaker 3: Nope, it's completely free. You walk through, you take you can take time, and you can and you can see a robot playing chess. We have bionic bees that will be flying in one corner. They can people can actually drive the robot dogs that will be there. We'll have a drone optical course that people can fly in. We even have a big water tank. Then we have underwater robots that people can kind of drive the robots. So we have a pretty wide variety of robots that will be there.
Speaker 2: Now, what do you say, There were people out there, and I know that there are people in my audience that who are saying, all these robots they're going to take people these jobs. I think that there's a robot that is in I think one of the local supermarkets. And my grandson is who's two years old, is fascinated by guy. I think you call it dry. Are we putting ourselves out of business here? Or is this just I guess, the progress of history and none of us can stand in the way.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, anytime there's progress, their their displacement. But it's not I mean, think about all of the horse and buggy drivers in New York City. They lost their jobs when automobile automobiles became a thing.
Speaker 2: Right, is a passing fad joys you know, as what a was I do? That's not going to last? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, okay, here's the thing when we when we talk about yes, I know, I know, listen, robots are really good at tasks. They're not good at higher order thinking. So if you think about all these little things that that people don't either don't want to do, like cleaning toilets or washing windows or you know, there's robots for hospitals where the robot will actually go to the pharmacy and bring back the medication for the patient so that the nurse can actually spend more quality time with the patient, which is a nice thing for nurses to do. So really, the way we look at robots is enhanced capability. It is helping you do your job better. It's giving you more time to spend doing the things that you like rather than the mundane, dull tasks. So I like to use the example of a window washer. It's dangerous to be hanging from those those ropes on you right washing washing the windows. Now, if there was a robot doing that, you would still need a person to deploy the robot. A person would still have to clean and inspect and repair the robot. Somebody had to actually build the robot. So there's a manufacturer someone that building these robots. Someone had to design it, someone has to sell it. So basically you've created ten jobs right there, instead of having three guys hanging from ropes washing windows that are dangerous.
Speaker 2: You know, that is a great example. I would be all from robots doing that. I don't want a robot taking my job as a talk show host. That's the concern that we have.
Speaker 3: But you know what, I don't know if they'll ever be as winny as you dre well.
Speaker 2: I don't about that. I'm sure that you could program them pretty easily. The one robot that I would like to see was if we could develop a pitcher, a baseball pitcher for the Red Sox who could throw the ball maybe about one hundred and twenty five miles an hour, never missed a strike zone. Is that with it? Is that possible do you think?
Speaker 3: I mean, it is possible to make a robot to do that, But then what from would that be? Watching the robot would be perfect every time?
Speaker 2: Well, but watching watching a Red Sox the robot pitcher strike out twenty seven Yankees?
Speaker 3: That might that might be fun to watch. Absolutely I don't see, yeah, I don't see people really wanting to pay to watch that. I mean, okay, all right, right, but you know.
Speaker 2: All all of my all of my ideas that anyway, Look, this is on Saturday the twenty eighth years, two days from now, and it's down in the seaport. Easy to find. The Seaport's kind of a big place.
Speaker 3: Super you define Seaport Boulevard and you cannot miss it. So if you come down, if you come across the bridge from Boston down Seaport Boulevard, you'll see it on the on the left. It's big tents.
Speaker 4: You guys see all the area.
Speaker 2: Where are you all the way at the end, you know, past everything? Or are you halfway down.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, it's in the it's it's actually in the middle. It's in there's two big parking lots in the center of the seaport off right off the Seaport Boulevard. One is the Cisco pop up and the other generally a parking lot, but they've been hosting ws Development kind of owns this whole area, and they've been hosting movies in the summer. They also host the you know, the winter festival there'.
Speaker 2: That'll help a lot. That's going to help a lot of people. Just loky because the seaport is still new and people do not need tickets.
Speaker 3: Correct, No, you just can walk right in. I mean, of course we'd love you to register, but you walk in. The parade starts at ten forty five. It'll come down Seaport Boulevard to eighty eight, so that the number is eighty eight Seaport Boulevard. Perfect if you wanted to put that in, you know, absolutely, I want to.
Speaker 2: Let my robot put that in my GPS and we'll be joyce, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, once it's open open to the public, you walk through, you take your time, you know, drive the robots talk to the vendors, talks to students and hopefully be inspired, you know, students get inspired to go into these fields.
Speaker 2: Sounds great, sounds great. Joyce Sodopolis, the co founder of Mass Robotics. Thanks again, Joyce. I enjoyed the conversation, although I think sometimes you weren't sure if I was joking.
Speaker 4: But that's thank you.
Speaker 3: For having me.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Joyce, appreciate it. We get back. We're going to talk about a serious subject and that is a subject every man should be concerned about. That is a prostate cancer. This is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month and a moment we'll be talking with doctor Timothy O'Rourke. He's a urologist with Cape cod Healthcare. Coming back on night Side. You're listening to w BZ, Boston's news radio ten thirty Am. Donald. For some reason, the reception is not perfect for you. You can always download the iHeart app. It is for free, just the iHeartRadio app, and you can listen to WBC from anywhere in the world. Twenty four to seven, three hundred and sixty five days and three hundred and sixty six days and a LEAPI are coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: As I mentioned, it's prostate cancer Awareness month. September is the month that we are in right now. With me is doctor Timothy o' O'Rourke. He's a urologist with Cape cod Healthcare. We've talked about prostate cancer before on Doctor O'Rourke and welcome to Night's Side, by the way.
Speaker 5: But for having me on, You're very welcome.
Speaker 2: How tough is it to get the message out to guys that hey, this is something that can be really serious and if you can catch it early, it's going to make a huge difference.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, to your point, it is sometimes difficult because it's the last thing that are necessarily thinking about on a daily basis with all the stressors of life, et cetera. But you know, prostate cancer is one of those things that if diagnosed early, you know you can treat it and cure it. The challenge is prostate cancer doesn't typically cause symptoms at early stages, and so the way you you know, identify prostate cancer at an early stage is through screening.
Speaker 2: And that's that's a simple blood test.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, So the PSA blood it's a simple blood test. So if you're going into your primary care provider physician, you know, it's you know, it's one of the things you should discuss because it is a simple blood test psa prostate specific antigen. It's been around since the early nineteen nineties and it is still the primary screening modality that's utilized that and oftentimes that's paired with a prostate examination or a digital rectal examination to where your doctor or a provider will actually examine the prostate to feel for any areas that might be nodular or hard or firm overall suspicious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where I think a lot of people will guys because women don't have prostate those magic words of rect examination a lot. Let me say, well, you know, maybe next time that's sort of think, yeah, what is the function of the prostate.
Speaker 5: It's a gland, right, Yeah, it's the prostate is it's a gland. Basically, it contributes part of the ejaculate and men some of the nutrients ands in for the sperm cells. But once you're past through reproductive years, you know, I typically tell men that it becomes more of a liability than anything, because after that, really it serves limited purpose. You know, you have to urinate through the prostate clan to get the urine to come out, and as you get older, the prostate is going to unlaw urge and oftentimes make it more difficult to urinate and can cause a number of urinary symptoms, which you know, the urinary symptoms that you experience, they certainly aren't associated with prostate cancer per se. They can be, but in many cases, the signs of an enlarged prostate mimic the signs of prostate cancer.
Speaker 2: So what would those some of those symptoms be for people who are out there listening the problem.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sometimes it's sometimes it's difficulty passing urine as the prostate enlarge is just think of any plumbing situation. You know, if the channel gets more narrow then you might have to strain more to urinate, or it comes out in a weaker stream, or urinary urgency or frequency not completely emptying the bladder, waking up a lot at night. Again, these are these are non specific symptoms that they're not always they're not a sign of cancer per se, but can can be and you know, are are a sign of potential having an enlarged prostate.
Speaker 2: Okay, So look, let's assume hypothetically, someone goes to sleep, you know whatever, midnight, they listen at night side and they turn off for ready with dignight, and normally they wake up at seven o'clock in the morning and they wake up at three point thirty and they have to relieve themselves. How is that a sign that people should be worried about or is that just fairly part of the life cycle. And if you have drank a lot of liquid before you went to bed, the chances are you sleeping through the night maybe diminished.
Speaker 5: So now you're absolutely right, So I don't think you should consider that a warning sign for prostate answer. Specifically, it's a non specific symptom, but it often does happen. Then it can be associated with actually a number of health conditions, prostate issues being one of them, bladder issue being another. Believe it or not, obstructive sleep apnea, people who have to wear a cepat mask, you know, those people tend to wake up at night as well. So it's certainly not specific to the prostate and shouldn't in isolation, be a warning sign. But if you are having that issue and you know you're thinking about prostate cancer, it's important to bring it up to your primary care provider to get the blood test, to get screened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then worst case scenario, let's assume they detected early. The earlier the better. Like with any form of cancer, I assume treatments to deal with it. Some can be surgical, some can be just you know, medical intervention.
Speaker 5: Yes, so there's a there's a big spectrum as far as prostate cancer is concerned. When I, you know, talk with my patients about it and counsel them, whether they're here for you know, seeing me for an elevated p s A or newly diagnosed with prostate cancer. You know, we talk about that spectrum and the risk kind of you know, you're stratified into a risk classification when you're diagnosed with prostate cancer, and based on that risk, there are several options, and believe it or not, some of the early stage prostate cancers low risk prostate cancers. For most men, the recommendation is a protocol called surveillance, active surveillance, where we monitor the disease basically because sometimes the risks and side effects of treatment actually cannot weigh the risk of monitoring. So but some of the other treatment modalities for patients with prostate cancer that require treatment, you know, or things like surgery radical prostatectomy, which is a surgery we do minimally invasive robotic approach by enlarge the predominant way that the surgery is done. We have very quick recovery, most men going home next day or even in some cases, same day as their surgery. Another option is radiation, which is sometimes paired with treatments to block testosterone, because day cancers actually fueled by testosterone. But there's a big spectrum, and as you've alluded to, you know, in some cases, unfortunately, if the cancer is diagnosed late, then the systemic treatments are required.
Speaker 2: So what I've also heard is that as men get older, and I don't know what age we're talking about here, I'm not sure if we're talking about the seventies or eighties, even if they're diagnosed with prostate cancer, the likelihood is that the prostate cancer at that point in their lives is fairly slow in many cases, and they will pass away of something unrelated to prostate cancer. Is there a point in time that men can start to kind of say I don't have to worry about this or is it something that they have to be worried about whether they're thirty nine or ninety nine.
Speaker 5: Well, that's a great question, and you know, men, you're going to be at risk for prostate cancer throughout your life. But to your point, most prostate cancer is slow growing type of cancer and a lot of men dine with rather than from prostate cancer. The guidelines basically away guidelines. American Neurological Association has a very clear set of guidelines that go over this topic and discuss discuss that very point, you know, as does men get older, particularly when life expectancy is maybe less than ten years, or if they're a conversation with your doctor about whether or not you would want to continue testing. You know, after age seventy to seventy five, you might consider not checking the PSA test any longer. That being said, you know you are at risk for prostate cancer, and every case is different depending on your personal risk threshold and what you kind of how you want to kind of manage your health. But it requires a conversation and what we call shared decision making. They're perfectly healthy. You know, people in their seventies who want to continue screening for prostate cancer, and I you know, I discussed that with my patients and I think that's that's perfectly reasonable in cases. So there's really no strict cut date, but I think it's a very personalized decision and worth discussing.
Speaker 2: You know. I appreciate your time, very thoughtful responses, as I would expect from doctor Timothy O'Rourke. He's a urologist with Cape called Healthcare. Again, the lesson here is as best you can keep an eye on it. It's as simple error. Uh, doctor O'Rourke, I really appreciate you taking your time. You're a great communicator, doctor, and I mean that's you know, I have a lot of doctors on and sometimes they I don't know, they're either not able or unwilling to entertain the questions. And I really thank you for what you did tonight.
Speaker 5: And take the people, Doctor Timothy O'Rourke, thanks so much for having.
Speaker 2: On much pleasure and absolute pleasure. Thank you very much. Well, we get back when we talk with another doctor, doctor Macy Smith, who's a gerontologist with some advice and help for dementia caregivers, not people who are dealing with dementia themselves, but for those who are the caregivers of people who are dealing with dementia will explain the difference, and we'll talk to doctor Macy Smith right after this break here on Nightside. It is a Thursday night, the weekend now, I'm telling it's only about you know, twenty six, twenty eight hours away. Well maybe a little warrant than that, I should say twenty seven and a half hours away. We're we're moving in on Friday and next thing, you know, to be Saturday. So we'll get we'll get you through this week here on Nightside. Coming right back right after.
Speaker 1: This, You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, I suspect that everyone in this audience understands what cognition is and what dementia is. We're talking with someone who really understands what this is, and that's doctor Macy Smith. She's a gerontologist, Doctor Smith. How are you tonight?
Speaker 4: I'm doing well. How you doing?
Speaker 3: Dan?
Speaker 2: I think I'm doing just fine. You're a gerontologist. Why don't you explain to my audience? I think I know what that means. But give give my audience for anyone out there who just might not quite understand what a gerontologist is. What is it?
Speaker 4: So speaking to my gen xers and my baby boomers and prior to when you think of Jareditah, what do you think.
Speaker 2: Of old people?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you think of that tonic? Are that medication or treatment that the older peoples would take? People would take for every and anything? And so I tell my younger folks then they're like, I don't think of anything, right, So it is that I specialize in the care understanding the care and challenges of those over the age of sixty five and their family caregivers, which anand the average caregiver is aged forty nine to fifty years of age. So understanding their challenges and understanding the systems and support that can be developed and put in place to address those challenges.
Speaker 2: What this is one of these questions I always ask questions. None of my questions are scripted. So if I've asked you a question here that's unfair. Tell me what percentage of American families at this point do you think have someone living within the family home who's dealing with dementia? And what percentage of American families are touched by dementia, meaning a parent or a grandparent has passed, or a parent or grandparent is now living in a center where they're getting full, full care.
Speaker 4: Well, I will tell you that nearly seven million Americans are living with Alzheimer's disease, are some form of dementia. And so although a very small percentage of that population may not have any family because they never had any children, didn't have any siblings, the majority belonged to some type of family system. We know about one in ten, so about ten percent of the population over the age of sixty five is dealing with some form of dementia. Doesn't mean that once you reach the age of sixty five and beyond that you're going to get Alzheimer's or dementia, because you don't necessarily have to get it. It's not a normal part of aging. Although age is the number one risk factor, what's more of a risk factor outside of age is lifestyle.
Speaker 2: And what lifestyle should people avoid if they'd like to avoid Alzheimer's. What can we do proactively to avoid that condition? And then what I want to talk about is what help you can provide for the caregivers. What if someone is approaching their sixty fifth birthday, what everyone's life is different. Give us some key key ingredients to some not to dos? Are some two dos?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I appreciate you asking that question. And I'll say this, These tips that I'm getting ready to share should be started as soon as you hear me share them, right. You don't need to wait until you are sixty four a sixty four and a half. You want to start making healthy lifestyle changes once you know better. And so what we know about the disease process, approximately forty percent of the different types of dementia that we see, because all Zheimer's is only one type, can possibly be prevented, are significantly reduced. Your chances are reduced by eating well. And when I say eating well, I'm not saying go vegan. Are a vegetarian, although vegetarian is a healthier diet if you ensure that you have the right food food groups to ensure that you have all your proper nutrients, but a low salt, low fat diet reducing inflammation in your body. You want to be sure that you're staying active and exercise and making sure that heart rate is up at least thirty minutes every day. You want to be sure that you say socially engaged. Dan, you know, don't isolate yourself or be by yourself because your brain is not mentally stimulated. So you want to be with people you enjoy being around. You want to ensure that you get sunlight. You know, when the sun is out, you need to be out right, as long as you don't get overheated or anything like that, because it's giving you the serotonin that you need to feel good, and when you feel good, you do good. You want to be sure that you get an adequate amount of sleep. Adults should get anywhere from seven to nine hours of sleep every night. And I'm not talking about that fake sleep, Dan, you know, like you're linking your eyes and you act and like you t sleep. No, I mean like that deep rim sleep, because what that does is your brain repairs the superficial damage from the day, from the day of you learning and growing and engaging, and so when you're asleep, your brain can regroup, recalibrate, reorganize. And then you want to be sure that you know you're staying away from smoking and drinking all the oh red wine does have respiratrail in it and resitral there's some research to support that it is a brain enhancing nutrient, but you know you can't drink too much of it. You don't want to get inebriated. And so when we talk about those lifestyle habits, these are things that we do. Everything that's good for our heart. Whatever is good for your heart is good for your brain. You want to ensure that you're managing those cool morbid conditions and those chronic illnesses such as high blood pressure and diabetes. When you reduce your risk of those elements, you reduce your risk of developing progressive types of dementia.
Speaker 2: Well that's a great answer, and it was clear and precise and concise, really really good. One of the things that I try to do. I'm a talk show host. I'm not going to tell you how old I am, but I'll tell you I'm over sixty five.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, Oh yeah, don't sound like that all.
Speaker 2: I've worked in television for thirty one years and I've been doing this show. Next week we'll start year eighteen on the show What the Do at Night? After my show at midnight, I'm on Monday through Friday eight to midnight. And I really want to know if I should recommend this to people before I go to bed, I'll open up the newspaper and I'll try to complete the crossword puzzle for that day.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, many times.
Speaker 2: Many times I'm like half asleep and I just put it away, shut the light out, and go right off to sleep. But I find that a great way to end the day. Now, call me crazy, but I'd love to know what you think.
Speaker 4: Well, so I will say that we all have to be lifelong learners. When you're learning you information, you're firing off those neurons, You're building up a cognitive reserve. And so if you were in line to get Alzheimer's disease, because it's really you know, no one hundred conclusive way to prevent it, but if you're in line to get it, if you built up a cognitive reserve because you were a lifelong learner, learning new information, doing exciting things, then you could delay your delay onset of dementia, which are the symptoms that you see confusion, the memory less, and forgetfulness. And so, while I won't say that it's ideal to.
Speaker 3: Do crossword puzzles before you go to bed, because.
Speaker 4: If you're somebody like me, I might it might keep me up because I couldn't figure out.
Speaker 3: This last question, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: But doing crossword puzzles in general are ideal. Now, I will say, though, you know how people do the word sign books that don't do too much for your cognitive ability because you're just circling the words, you see, you're not thinking about anything. Yeah, those crossword puzzles, you're thinking about what the answer might be. And so whenever you're thinking, you're exercising your brain and you're building a cognitive reserve. And so you want to read new books, you want to watch new movies, you want to go new places, you want to learn a new language. Then if you're right hand to start writing.
Speaker 6: With your left hand.
Speaker 4: Sometimes this is going to cause you to what think about it, and that's what you want to do.
Speaker 2: I wish I as a kid I had learned to play the piano. I really mean that. At the older I get, the more impressed I am that people.
Speaker 4: Who are you can start now.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Think you listeners would would love to hear hear that story in that journey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it probably be pretty pretty ugly. But look, I really liked our conversation, doctor Smith. You selling my sort of doctor. Thanks so much for being as clear as as you are. And I'd love to have you back.
Speaker 4: I really I'd love to be back.
Speaker 2: Maybe even bring you back and do an hour and talk to some listeners because this.
Speaker 4: Hour, oh that idea perfect perfect.
Speaker 2: We'll do that. Okay, we'll do that. I'll let my producer get back in touch and we'll do something on that.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you so much, and you have a good.
Speaker 2: Night, you two. Doctor Macy Smith, the gerontologist. Uh and uh. She has a book called and if I'm correct here help me out, doctor Smith, a dementia a dementia caregiver called to Action The Journe Dementia Caregivers Guide Books by doctor Macy Smith. She won't even know that we promoted the book, but how could I not after having her been such a nice person. We'll be back and we're going to talk about something that's scared the heck of a lot of people in Boston. It's a giant Joe ro Spider. Let me tell you this is a great story. We're going to talk with a emeritus professor of entomology from the University of Maryland Turp, Maryland Terp, doctor Michael Roup. Right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World Nice six Studios on w b Z to news radio.
Speaker 2: And all my career here in Boston and television and radio, I've never seen a story as big as the story has been about such a little insect. It's called the giant juro spider. With us is doctor Michael Ropp. He's an emeritus professor of entomology at the University of Maryland, so he's a terp, but he knows a lot about juro spiders. Professor. How are you tonight?
Speaker 6: Hey, Dan, how you doing? I'm doing great? And boy, it's it's in Beacon Hill. I heard, Yes, sir, that's pretty wicked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, less, we would say up here. The only time we say wicked, we say we're wicked spot. But we know that professors like yourself putting up my boss that accent there about this. So this we've never had one up here. How did this this spider get up here? Do you think?
Speaker 6: Well, that's a real puzzle, I have to say, Dan. The normal way that these things will disperse. It's just like in Charlotte's Web. Remember Charlotte laid those eggs, and the eggs hatched, and the little spiderlings, they produce a little bit of silk, they get caught on an updraft, and then they can travel great distances colonized new area. But I got a hunch that maybe this one actually traveled up perhaps either possibly somebody down in the Carolinas, Georgia, where these things are very common. Maybe as a small spider it's snuck into a vehicle, or maybe as an adult it's not in it was trans supported perhaps twenty people, lawn furniture, something like this. It jumped out and boom, there it is and beacon tell.
Speaker 2: So those how will can this thing survive the winter up here? Or they will?
Speaker 6: That is the million dollar question. I'll give you a little insight into this. In twenty twenty two here in Maryland, we had two sightings of jarro spiders in the county I live in.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 6: I did not bring them it, So let's get rid of that right away.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I would never suspect you of that.
Speaker 6: By twenty twenty three, now we've got eighteen sightings here. In twenty twenty four, eight additional sightings. So this tells us that probably the northern climates, as a group of scientists wrote about earlier, this year, they said, hey, you know, this particular spider where it's from in Asia probably will be able to expand its range into more northern areas. And by golly, it sure looks like it's going to do it. It certainly has done it in here in Maryland. You know, I got to be honest with you. I think the Boston, you know, not that different in Maryland. Climatically you get a little bit colder, but you know, with global warming and these mild winters, I think this thing has a reasonable chance of being able to survive, surely as Farnos, maybe even Boston.
Speaker 2: So will some group or individual try to capture this and then keep them inside in a cage? And that is that inadvisable?
Speaker 6: I think anything can happen here. Look the jarro spider in and of itself. This is a very timid spider. It does have things, It does have venoms, but the experts tell me those things are small, so small they're probably not going to be able to pierce the human skin. I've seen lots of pictures of people handling jar spiders with no ill effects. So let's let's rate that. If it's not going to be a threat to human or pets. The real concern here that we might have is we have several indigenous large orb weaving spiders, the black and yellow garden spider, the marbled orb weaver, the spotted orb weaver. These are all very large spiders like the jarrow. Not as big as the jarrow. This is ruling the roost right now sidewise, but they build big webs. So the question we have as ecologists is will this new spider, this big orb weaver, potentially compete with our indigenous spiders. We don't have information on that yet. What I have been told is in the Southern States, once jarrow becomes established, it does become the dominant spider in an area. In other words, there'll be lots and lots of these webs. But HENK, guess what this spider is going to kill pass It's going to catch things like brown marmorate at stinking bogs. It's going to catch things like spotted lantern flies. So this will be part of what I call Mother Nature's hit squad that will help you do some of these other invasive pests. And guess what a lot of these things are coming from Asia. So this jarro spader, shall we say knows these things from an ancient association with these particular pests back in Asia, and it's going to be just like Hannibal Lecter having an old friend over for lunch.
Speaker 2: But absolutely I love the metaphor, Doctor Rolph. I wish I had more time here. We will love to have you back. I want to put you on our regular list. You're really good. I mean that seriously. You've explained science to me. I never did really well in science in school either. Well no, no, no, no, I'm sure you did. You did great. That chemistry thing was always tough. When I saw that periodic table, I said, how the hell I'm gonna memorize this?
Speaker 6: But yeah, organic, what's the struggle.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you. I'd love to have you back. I really mean that the time. But thank you very very much. You know you could listen to our show down there by the way. We boom into Maryland. We're ten thirty the AM dial. We're w j Z was our old sister station on Baltimore. We were on the old Wesley House television and radio station.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I work with jay Z quite a bit, so I'll look into that and I'll be happy to have a chance to pick you guys up on the night side. Listen to the broadcast and this was wicked, good fun.
Speaker 2: I have to say you got the wicket in there. That's for sure. A great job, doctor Michael Will Okay, thanks again. We'll be back right after the nine o'clock news. We're going to talk about the release of the would be Assassin's Letter. I got some problems with this and I want to know if you agree or disagree. We'll be back on nightside. This is Dan Ray. If you're a commercial business owner, you know like I do, it's important to know your audience, which is why you should trust my friends at Eastern Bank, whose commitment of growing our communities by growing businesses has been running strong for over two hundred years. With commercial loan decision making, expert problem solving from local lending teams, and one on one banking relationships built on trust, Eastern can help your business move forward. Learn how Eastern Bank can help grow your business at Easternbank dot com. Slash Insights member FDIC