Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, and welcome, welcome, welcome. It is time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you trust. Now, a lot of people know Michael Bush as their chiropractor, what's up, Doc, But also a lot of people know you as someone who's been in a lot of movies. And you're in a new one that's coming out this week.
Speaker 2: Yep. It's called sawd and Stubble and it's going to be playing at the Independent Cinema this weekend.
Speaker 1: Now, not only are you in it, you've got a speaking part, but you have a family member.
Speaker 3: He's in this too.
Speaker 2: My grandson, Presley Bauers, is in it. And he's uh, he's been in I think this is the third thing he's been in with me. But he's excited, he's jazzed. He's what I mean, he's a young teenager, but he's excited about his limelight. He's going to get well.
Speaker 3: This is great.
Speaker 1: You know, I've been to your office as a patient and I just couldn't help but take a look at some of the set pictures that you have in the office, and I thought for sure you'd been in maybe a hundred movies or so but how many have you really been in?
Speaker 2: You know, I have, I haven't been in that many. I'm thinking maybe no, not that many. You know, what do you consider movies? Are you talking about documentaries? Are you talking about commerci I don't know. Maybe forty or so.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. Those prints really look good in your office. Now saw it in Stubble takes place in Kansas. It tell us a little bit about the movie.
Speaker 2: Well, the book Sowd and Stubble, and it's for the state of Kansas, is kind of like the foremost historical book representing what it was like to go out there on the prairie, build a cabin or a saudi and just survive like they were doing back then. So any of the history teachers, those people interested in history, they've read Sowd and Stubble. Personally, I had never heard of it before. I was more concerned with Little House on the Prairie because that's kind of our area, or Bull of Rock. But this Sowd and Stubble, well, I guess it has been around. I mean, I think they wrote it back in the twenties and so it's been around a long time. What happened was is a guy named Vaughn Rothenberger who lives up up by Downs. He's a historian and he works for the State of Kansas. A lot very interested in the story. So the book was written very almost primitive like, and so there was a lot left out, a lot of unanswered questions. It was just someone's diary basically, just kind of written out. But it was so well received that Vaughn decided to do more research on it. He started, he found more papers that had been left out, a whole like two new chapters that he added to that book just on stuff that had been left out. So he researched the facts of the cases, that the characters and all that that's in the book, and he really added a lot. So Sawden Stubble got reprinted and it's been a success since Vaughn took that on and with the help of the family and they got a reprinted. So Ken Spurgeon, who is who teaches history at Friends. He's a filmmaker, been in I've been in a few things with Ken over the years, but he is very well received as a fantastic job. But he mainly concentrates on Kansas history, and so he got to be a part of this Sowden Stubble. They asked him to make a film about it. I think he kind of kicked it around for a few years, but just found that the interest up there at Downs and Osborne and those places by Cocker City, all those people had such an interest in restoring it. So the volunteers all gathered together, raised money, built back the old farm, built the house, built the barns, and he had a working set ready to go.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's going to be a good film.
Speaker 3: Now, you play a preacher, yes in this when us a little bit about your role, because it's kind of crucial.
Speaker 2: Well, I play Reverend John Higginbotham, and in the book again, when you're talking with people from one hundred years ago, the facts get skewed. Sometimes we are all guilty of misremembering things. Sometimes maybe we thought it was the Uncle Junior and it was actually Uncle Buck that said it. Well, it was the same thing with him. I play Higginbotham, but there's been some connection to a minister named Bowers, but they decided that Higginbotham really was probably the one that gave the sermon. My sermon is to about fifteen people in a log cabin, and this all really took place, and the Pawnee Indians show up. They were starving and they were begging for food, and they interrupted the preacher's sermon at the cabin and put a lot of fear into the people inside the cabin. And just the interaction with those tribes members from the Pawnee outside the door and scaring everybody, and they, you know, and they're wanting food. Well, she had baked some bread and it really wasn't to their liking, but they enjoyed the half rotten chicken, dead chickens that had died of cholera out outside the bar. My God, and this is all true. It's all based on fact. And so anyway, I am Reverend John Higginbotham, and I read from the Book of Exodus. You know, in the Book of Exodus, Moses asked the Lord to show him his glory. He wanted to see the face and the glory of the Lord, but that could not be, for the Lord said in verse twenty, you cannot see my face. No man sees my face and lives. For the Lord knew what we failed to understand, and that his holiness and our sinfulness cannot be face to face. So you just got my lines.
Speaker 1: Wow, nicely delivered their higgy. This is gonna be great. Now, who's all in the movie with you and your grandson?
Speaker 2: Okay, So you know people see these independent films like this, but we've got some big stars in this thing. I mean, right off the bat, my good friend Barry Corbin is in it.
Speaker 3: But most people know Barry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Barry, you know, most people know him. His Roscoe on Lonesome Dome. Yeah, you know, don't don't go hitting on that girl. You know those lines he's been to. You know, he was in Killers of the Flower Moon and they had a thing at Puhusca for him. And so everybody knows Barry around here. Barry Corbin from yellow Stone and the Ranch and Northern Exposure, and like you said, the list can go on. Well, he's filming Tulsa King's right now, because he had planned on kind of trying to come up here, but he's filming Tulsa King, so he's unable to be here. But we got Buck Taylor, who's newly on gun Smoke. Our lead is Bailey Chase, and a lot of the people around here that are watching Angels Studio's Homestead with Neil mcdonnah. Yeah, Bailey is the man that's in Homestead with Neil. And so then we have Mary mcdonna, who is most of the young guys around here that are my age. Remember Aaron on the Waltons, the one we had the crush on. Yes, well that's Mary and she's in it. Let's see who else. We got Rudy Ramos. When I was growing up, he was on High Chaparral, but a lot of people know him as the grandfather on Yellowstone and he's in it. Let's see. We got Dodie Brown, she plays Rosa Ice. Darby Hinton, who's Israel Boone on Daniel Boone growing up. He's in it. There's a local actors. There's some local guys that are regionally are pretty well thought of and noticeable. So it is going to be a fantastic film. I think everybody really will like it. The cool thing is is it's for people of all ages. It's rated G, so you can take the kids or grandkids. This might be a great event since Mother's Days this weekend, maybe taking mom or grandma to see something nice and wholesome that everybody can enjoy. There's going to be Friday night at six and then Saturday at three and six are the viewings, and I'm going to be and Pressley's going to be there for all of them, and we'll meet and greet you, and then we'll talk about the movie ahead of time, and then we'll talk about it afterwards. And after everybody sees it, they'll be more comfortable and not giving out any spoilers, so to speak, so we'll talk about it afterwards.
Speaker 3: Now, this is going to be an Independence, and which theater.
Speaker 2: It's Independence has one theater downtown. It has three separate theaters, but Aaron that owns it. He has opened up the big one that holds eighty five people. So we're trying to get it to Bartlesville. But Bartlesville is corporate owned, and you better than anybody.
Speaker 3: Know, we're having issues with money, yes.
Speaker 2: And so we just haven't heard back like we thought we would have. So we're casting all of our dice towards Independence and airing up there that owns that he has just went above and beyond the call of duty on this very excited and you know it, it may end up if we have a good enough showing this weekend, it may roll over into next weekend too.
Speaker 3: So that'd be great.
Speaker 2: So, but there's lots of places for those that are maybe listening that maybe don't live around here or have relatives in another town, they're having to go there. It's you can get on the Sodden Stubble website or on Facebook and it will give you a list of where it's playing. Because it's been up at Newton since April. It's going to be in Kingman, I know it's in Butler County. There's a gazillion places that this thing is showing right now. It's really taken on wings.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you, well, we're going to be posting this as a news story and we're going to put all the links where you can find it and also maybe ask the studio, hey, can you bring it to mone account.
Speaker 2: Honest, that'd be awesome, you know. I I'm just the facilitator because we've got actors all stationed all over the state wherever they live or even Nebraska or Nevada and Oklahoma, and they're they're trying to handle things where they're at. So I know it's shown in Butler County this weekend. So that's why you know we're here. Me and Pressley are here, and we're just trying to get everybody involved and let them have a great time. I think it's going to be a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Oh, it will be. I can't wait to see you as a preacher.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna I'm gonna deliver it. You know, I'm gonna put the fear in you. They said that Higginbotham's voice could really carry, so I that's just right up my alley.
Speaker 1: Well, doctor Busch, this is gonna be one for the entire family, and I really hope that everybody can get a chance to see it once again. It's gonna be at the movie Theater in Independence, Kansas. Gonna be Friday night at six six, right, and then three and six on Saturday. So if you can get that into your calendar, that'd be a great thing.
Speaker 3: It's called sod.
Speaker 1: And Stubble, And you can order online takes. You know, you can get tickets online too. Now I did mean to overlook you've got a generation in between you and your grandson. Your daughter is the Prairie Ninja.
Speaker 2: Yes she is. You know my children, my children grew up in the movie world, so they're not strangers to it. And yes, Trinny, my younger daughter who played We would do live theater out of little house in the prairie here, she was Laura. So yes, she's been on I think four seasons of American Ninja Warrior. She just qualified for Worlds through a separate organization. But she's still with it. She's thirty years old, so she better be making her big splash because you know, you get up by my age and you start losing your balance, and.
Speaker 1: Right, I'd kill to be your age. Trust me, I would kill to be your age again. But this is gonna be great. It's called sod and Stumble, and once again we're gonna have a little bit of a story out here on the internet on our website which is Bartlesvielle Radio dot com. I'll have Michael right here on the video here from our show today, and we'll be giving you all the links that you need to know to find out more about this movie and where you can get it.
Speaker 3: In your community.
Speaker 1: Michael, thank you for coming up around me talking from Hollywood to be with us here today.
Speaker 2: I really enjoyed it, and I appreciate KWO N and k r I G having us on because